When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thread

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Antar appeared very briefly on-screen in the destiny book translation, which seems to be pushing it for 'canon':

You have been given the granolith, a transport between this planet and Antar. You have also been given communication technology which will allow you to access information from your true home.

The first time it was spoken was in "Busted":

Max: That's not enough time. I need at least 5 minutes to get downstairs, see if the ship's there, and if it works.

Liz: And what if it works? I mean, you go off to Antar and what? I mean, what if you never come back?

Max: I will come back. And I'm not leaving yet. First I have to see if this is even a possibility. I'm gonna have to figure out how to navigate it.

And then in control:

Kal: so, this is the mighty king of antar. A low-rent tom cruise with a $10 haircut? Buddy boy, you have no idea what you're gettin' yourself into.

Max: I came all this way to find you. I need your help. you're our protector.

Max also introduces himself as being with 'Antar films' in that episode. Not gonna bother searching through transcripts any more, antar references get pretty thick in season 3.

As far as past life names: Whittaker told Isabel that she used to be called Vilandra during 'Control', I'm pretty sure about that. And it featured in the episode 'the harvest', with whittaker getting an envelope referencing the vilandra project (which presumably was code name for an attempt to get Isabel to turn traitor again and hand the granolith over to the copper summit skins,) and nicholas pretended that his big sister vanessa had told him stories about princess vilandra when he was little.

I don't think any of the other past-life names came up until 'meet the dupes'/'max in the city'.
Lisette
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Lisette »

On the "Fan Front" Antar was first mentioned in spoilers that came out surrounding MTD/MITC, the same time that the gang's alien names were leaked. The mention of the home planet's name was cut from the episodes that aired and consequently not actually spoken, as said above, until Busted. That's why "Antar" apperances in fic and general discussion pre-date its actual TV debuet.

Edited Add: Apparently I didn't make it clear that I was not talking about the "official" release of the name from Silverhandprint, when it became cannon. I was referancing the first draft spoilers that began to appear in mid-October (circa So'47 and TEoTW) and there for, why Antar did begin to appear before its offical release.
Last edited by Lisette on Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my style column Dear Miss Style
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dear_Miss_Style
Kath7
Administrator

Post by Kath7 »

Ladeia3 wrote:Speaking of when they found out names.. When did they learn their past life names? I know in Surprise, Isabel either already knew Vilandra or she learned of it in that eppy.. I can't remember.. it's been so long since I've seen the eppy.
Oh, and just for completion's sake - we first found out that the names Zan, Rath and Ava applied to Max, Michael, and Tess in MTD. We already new about Vilandra from Surprise, and since Lonnie is a shortened version of that, it was, of course, assumed that the other dupes were going by their Antarian names as well, although many have used "Ava" as a shortened version of something else in fanfic, because it sounds more Earthly than Zan or Rath.

Kath
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

AmeliaML4 wrote:Okay just a quick question...
I know in Departure Liz finally tells Max when he asks that she didn't sleep with Kyle but I was just wondering if after that anytime in Season three did she ever explain why? Did Max ever find out about Future Max and everything or does she keep it secret for the rest of the time?
This is something that has been buggin me for a long time!

~Amelia :lol:
As far as I know, it is really not clear. Many people have assumed that Liz must have told him at some point soon after 'Departure', but not during any of the flashbacks shown in 'busted.' (For one thing, keeping the secret no longer made much sense at that point since Future Max's plan had been ruined, and no longer seemed to have ever been viable... Tess had left, and Tess was a traitor who had been quite willing to hand them over to Khivar anyway, thus saving the world by keeping Tess with the other podsters was a dead issue.)

However, there's no real evidence of this one way or another... the liz/kyle incident was very thoroughly and completely dropped for all of season 3, as if it had never existed, and there was really nothing else that might refer to EOTW one way or another.

I know that 'roswell the final chapter' assumed that the secret of future max's visit remained unknown to anyone but Liz and Maria until after graduation, so as to include the big dramatic reveal scene within their time period. I think that the issue may have been raised in some of the roswell paperback books, but I'm not even sure if it would have been one of the ones that took place in the summer between seasons 2 and 3, or the ones that are set after graduation.

Hope this is at least marginally helpful. :)
Ladeia3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Ladeia3 »

It was never shown onscreen and never ever brought up in Season 3 but in the first book after Graduation, Liz does tell Max everything about FMax after she has a dream and blows out the window of the van.

I have heard from various sources that originally Departure was supposed to last two hours and originally she told Max about FMax at the same time when she told him she didn't sleep with Kyle but that never made it onscreen. So it really is up to the viewer to decide whether Max knows everything or not.

Hope that helps.
Kath7
Administrator

Post by Kath7 »

Chrisken wrote:I know that 'roswell the final chapter' assumed that the secret of future max's visit remained unknown to anyone but Liz and Maria until after graduation, so as to include the big dramatic reveal scene within their time period. I think that the issue may have been raised in some of the roswell paperback books, but I'm not even sure if it would have been one of the ones that took place in the summer between seasons 2 and 3, or the ones that are set after graduation.

Hope this is at least marginally helpful. :)
The stupid part of the books (and the reason they never too off) was that Liz telling Max in the post-Grad books was redundant. There is an earlier one set pre-Season 3 (in the summer after Tess's departure) when Liz tells Max too. I can't remember which one off the top of my head, but basically she ends up telling him twice. :roll: Sigh. Of course these are the same books that had Maria calling Michael "alien boy." Because she sure did that a lot! At least the post-Grad ones are mildly better. The early show based books are atrocious.
Kath7
Administrator

Post by Kath7 »

TaffyCat wrote:AmeliaML4 I don't believe they ever explained Leanna at all. We were left to assume a lot but it was never confirmed.

As for the 'did Liz ever tell Max about FMax' question, it was part of the jeep scene in Departure and edited out. And according to KKB at the August LA party, she told him off screen. :roll:
And, nope, Leanna was never explained. Which was why I went back to her in my fic Sins of the Father. There was a lot left to be explored there. The only positive of loose ends? Fanfic ideas. lol
emma679547
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by emma679547 »

Okay i have 1 question that have been bugging me and 2 that are just grinding... if anyone can help or share your thought i would be so grateful.

1: the picture of Laurie Dupree's grandfather, why does Michael look exactly like him? was that ever explained? and if so does anyone think that the other podsters had someone out-there that they look like too.

and these are just discussion because i dont think they are answerable:

1: i understand that nicholas sister is vanessa crawford who eventually change names to vanessa whitaker but what i dont understand is that if her and nasedo were "close" during the time he was pierce and "fixing" everything why couldnt he tell she was a skin was he just ignoring the fact, didnt know or was it part of the ending plan=agreement (that came out during departure) to get the royal4 to kivar.

this is the one thats been messing with me for a long time, and i just need to get it out:

2: vanessa wrote in her journal and i quote, “the queen could have reversed roles to throw us off track," and if Nancy said "Your dad had a girlfriend... Before me. He loved her very much...and she got killed... he's never forgiven himself for that, and I don't think he ever will...Now he is so terrified that he's about to lose the person he loves most in this whole world all over again.
{"Significant Others"} to liz.
couldnt this somehow explain why liz got powers and kyle didn't, max noticing her in third grade and not michael first, she is somehow connected to the orbs (only her and max can find them together no other couple could *king and queen.....maybe :wink: *), and vanessa wrote that she smelled max all over liz when she first met her which is after liz spent the whole summer in florda (i think that is enough time to get rid of his scent) (i do however think it has something to do with soul mate alien dna mojo scent something or other lol)

(also this following what nancy said:: this can also explain why liz look nothing like her mother, nancy, maybe she looks like the girlfriend or maybe the girlfriend was the protector of liz, the queen :twisted: , and her father and grandmother were somehow involved. that why the dad doesnt want to lose liz because some how he feel oligated to keep her protected and that she keeps him connected with his old love.)

also im sorry for going on and on, and also this whole thing probably doesnt make any sense because i havent went to bed in 2.5 days because of my stupid cold so im giving my apologies early in case people are like what is this chick taking lol my mind is just nonstop at this time. So im sorry.

vanessa's journal link
http://thesmudge.com/shapeshifter/Roswe ... ndex6.html
Tasyfa
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Tasyfa »

emma679547 wrote:1: the picture of Laurie Dupree's grandfather, why does Michael look exactly like him? was that ever explained? and if so does anyone think that the other podsters had someone out-there that they look like too.
All four of the podsters were created using a combination of the alien essence of their former selves and human genetic material. In other words, physically they were cloned from humans. Laurie Dupree's grandfather provided the DNA for Michael's human body. And yes, it would follow that somewhere on Earth there are humans who are genetic twins for Isabel, Max and Tess as well. We just didn't get to explore that. :)
and these are just discussion because i dont think they are answerable:
Answerable, no, but certainly discussable! :D I think that theoretical questions like this probably belong on their own thread, though; this thread is specifically for canon questions. Plain old canon gets confusing enough LOL!
hugs, Tas
"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
~Henry Jenkins
Ladeia3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Ladeia3 »

The symbol on the pendent symbolizes the worldwind galazy where the podsters are from. The pendent made an appearance in 285 south and was found in the secret room of Atherton's dome and the deputy who is Native American recognized it from the reservation. Isabel also showed it to Max after she recognized the symbol as being one they both drew as kids when on vacation at the beach. After the eppy Riverdog the pendent isn't given anymore importance than leading the podsters to him. Max eventually gives the pendent to Liz in Departure and asks for it back in Season 3 after his dad starts investigating. There are quite a few fan fics that deal with the importance of the pendent but unless I'm just forgetting it, the show never gave the pendent more importance than just being a symbol of their galazy. Hope that helps some.