When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thread

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

Well I checked with a friend who recently took a College level Genetics coarse and blue eyed genes are recessive. She said if you see two blue eyed parents with a brown eyed child that...

While their is an extremely small but non-zero chance that it's do to random genetic mutation or something she explained as a sort of hanging chromosome (apparently it's possible by a genetic fluke for one of the parents to have 3 chromosomes relating to eye color IE bbBr and have their own body recognize the two blue eyed genes but pass on the brown) it is more likely that the parents brought home the wrong child from the hospital, or that one or both of the parents isn't the biological parent child. (Adoption, child of an affair or previous marriage, in vitro fertilization, etc).

In our own little Roswell universe we can add or genetically modified by aliens.

And I agree that (assuming I'm accurate about the parent's eye color) it probably wasn't an intended plot twist but rather just an oversight by the casting crew. However, oversight or not it makes a great plot point for fanfic. I firmly believe it's part of the job of fanfiction to uncover and explain as many of the mistakes and plot holes in the cannon as possible.
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Zanity wrote:Well I checked with a friend who recently took a College level Genetics coarse and blue eyed genes are recessive. She said if you see two blue eyed parents with a brown eyed child that...

While their is an extremely small but non-zero chance that it's do to random genetic mutation or something she explained as a sort of hanging chromosome (apparently it's possible by a genetic fluke for one of the parents to have 3 chromosomes relating to eye color IE bbBr and have their own body recognize the two blue eyed genes but pass on the brown) it is more likely that the parents brought home the wrong child from the hospital, or that one or both of the parents isn't the biological parent child. (Adoption, child of an affair or previous marriage, in vitro fertilization, etc).

In our own little Roswell universe we can add or genetically modified by aliens.

And I agree that (assuming I'm accurate about the parent's eye color) it probably wasn't an intended plot twist but rather just an oversight by the casting crew. However, oversight or not it makes a great plot point for fanfic. I firmly believe it's part of the job of fanfiction to uncover and explain as many of the mistakes and plot holes in the cannon as possible.
Yeah, it does make a nice plot point, especially since a lot of people have been wanting to come up with a reason why Liz is alien/hybrid/the true bride/whatever. :)
Read my other roswell stories!

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

Maxsgurl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Maxsgurl »

Ok HI!!! I've been reading this for a while and I finally decided to join in.

I am a biology major so I'd done lots of studies and experiments with gentics.

In the case of Liz having brown eyes and both Nancy and Jeff parker having blue eyes. IT IS ALMOST COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE FOR LIZ TO BE THE PARKERS DAUGHTER! As someone stated....genetics are not a complete exact science so things do happen...but anyway.

As liquard_queen said (just backwards but I was impressed by the way you explained it! GOOD JOB!) you have to have both recessive genes to have blue eyes. Brown is the dominate color in eyes so for Liz to have brown eyes one of her parents had to give her a dominate gene.

If you have one dominate gene you are still considered dominate and the recessive gene would be invisible under the dominate gene. In Jeff and Nancy's case they are both RECESSIVE meaning there is NO dominate gene to pass to their children. If they had children in real life....100% would be blue eyed unless some sort of gentic mutation ( I could explain that...but it is really not necessary for this)

So point is: Liz could not been the Parkers daughter because basic genetics explains that recessive parents can not produce a dominate child...not happening.

Hope this helped...lol but it is all in fun, as Chrisken said it helps make a plot point!

~Jennifer~

P.S....just to tell you...it has NOTHING to do with Roswell but I love this fact. People with 6 fingers (NOT THE NORMAL) are actually dominate. Us 5 fingered people are recessive...Weird huh?
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Maxsgurl wrote:P.S....just to tell you...it has NOTHING to do with Roswell but I love this fact. People with 6 fingers (NOT THE NORMAL) are actually dominate. Us 5 fingered people are recessive...Weird huh?
That doesn't surprise me, except that there is actually a mapped out gene for six-fingers. Dominant does not mean popular. Dominant simply indicates that a gene is more powerful and can exert its influence over another gene when they are both present. Doesn't strike me as odd that a six-fingers gene would be more powerful than the usual. ;) And if a dominante gene is very rare, then so will the indicated trait.

On the other hand, if a recessive gene is extremely rare, then the trait will be rare to the square of the gene's rarity... for instance, if purple hair, say, are recessive, to take a hypothetical case, and one person in 20,000 has the purple-haired gene, then one person in four hundred million will actually have purple hair. Assuming that the gene isn't covered up by some other gene even when it's fully present.

Speaking of this stuff, I remember hearing that the so-called 'blue eye gene' actually does almost nothing at all. Practically everybody except for some rare albinos have genes that will put blue pigments into their eyes. If someone has that gene intact, and doesn't have any other eye pigment genes, then they will have blue eyes. Then there are genes for brown and green coloration, for instance, which either release no pigment, some pigment, or a lot of pigment. If you have a brown-eye gene, then the brown pigment is strong enough to completely cover up the blue color. I just think that's interesting.

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

I'm too lazy to reread all the posts, lol, so somebody might have already said this, but in the discussion of genes, I know for a fact that blue eyes are recessive (just took a course on genes). In this fic's case, I'm assuming the fact that both of her parents have blue eyes means Liz isn't really their daughter, because that would be genetically impossible.

Liz's parents would contain recessive genes for blue eyes: bb (lower case b because the blue gene is recessive) but Liz would contain the dominant Heterozygous genotype: Bb, or the Dominant Homozygous genotype: BB. As we can see, she can't get the dominant gene for brown eyes from her parents, who are homozygous for the recessive gene. It goes a bit deeper than that, but that's the general explanation.

Does anyone else know that when a person has a genotype such as Bb they are refered to as hybrids due to the two different genes? I just thought that was interesting because I finally understood why the aliens were called hybrids. :D

That was rather ingenious of the person who wrote that story, to make such simple proof that Liz is not the Parker's biological daughter.
Maxsgurl wrote:P.S....just to tell you...it has NOTHING to do with Roswell but I love this fact. People with 6 fingers (NOT THE NORMAL) are actually dominate. Us 5 fingered people are recessive...Weird huh?
LOL! I actually heard that last year in my genetics class... isn't that strange?
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
Roswell4ever1
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roswell4ever1 »

I'm assuming the fact that both of her parents have blue eyes means Liz isn't really their daughter, because that would be genetically impossible.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I have known too many people who's parents have had blue eyes (both parents) and the kids have had brown. And the kids were theirs biologically. I've seen too many cases proving otherwise to believe this.

But, it is interesting how our genes affect us.
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

Well, that's what I was taught *shrug*

The explanation I gave was very simple, and there are other factors that can affect eye color. But the thing is, people with blue eyes don't contain the brown eyed gene... unless it's a genetic mutation or something. At least, that's my understanding.

I'm not an expert on this, so there's a possibility I'm wrong... but blue eyes are almost always recessive.

Let's get back to the Roscanon subject, lol. :lol:
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Well, the Internet Movie Database lists height information for all of the regulars. Not sure quite how accurate this is, but there isn't anything that immediately jumps out as being wrong to me:

Shiri Appleby: 5'3"
Jason Behr: 5'11"
Katherine Heigl: 5'9"
Majandra Delfino: 5'6"
Brendan Fehr: 6'
Colin Hanks: 6'1"
Nick Wechsler: 5'7"
Emilie de Ravin: 5'2"
Adam Rodriguez: 6'1"
William Sadler: 5'8"

Devon Gummersall: 6' (Not a regular, but the only one of the 'frequent guest stars' who actually had height info listed.)

Hope that this helps. If it's accurate, there's some interesting patterns in there. :)

CME
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by CME »

When was the Pod Chamber discovered? Isabel was the one that found the Granolith in Suprise, right?
Elf3748
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Elf3748 »

Was it when Tess came in? D: I think it might have been before...