When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thread

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Doublestuf
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Doublestuf »

Tasyfa wrote:
CandyDreamQueen wrote:Okay, I know this is not really cannon, but I didn't want to make a whole new topic just to get the answer so here it is.

Why do dreamers call Tess the Gerbil? :?

I never got that one.
Unfortunately, this one crossed over from originating as a bash of the actress, Emilie, b/c she had that sweet chubby-cheeked look at the beginning of her tenure in Roswell. (Courtesy of being only 18 lol.) It just kind of took off, I guess b/c rodents are not seen as desirable in general. Personally I find it disgusting, but that's me. :)
hugs, Tas
As one who frequently called Tess many a name, including the aforementioned Gerbil, I never thought of any of it based on the actress' physical appearance. Good Lord, Emilie was gorgeous then as she is now. True, at the time I wasn't overly impressed with her (she's grown leaps and bounds IMO as seen in Lost), but when actual Tess discussion came up, it was very clear to me that we were commenting on the character, not some poor girl who found herself playing evil, then good, then no-wait-the-writers-changed-their-minds evil again.

Now, all this is not to say that Tas is wrong, because I would never do that :) . It is to say, however, that some dreamers (and Tess haters, anti-Tessers, RAGErs, whatever else they/we were called) didn't call Tess the Gerbil based on appearance. It may have begun that way but spread not based on its origins. I honestly just thought it was a playful rendition on the rodent thing and meant nothing else. You know, she was a Gerbil, not trust worthy and might eat her own young. I once had a gerbil escape its cage and crawl into the VCR - I never put much stock in them. Okay, I'm not saying there was tons of logic in that assessment, just what I thought.

Actually, if you want a really good psychological explanation, there are a lot of studies done on the power of naming. By creating a name for something, and an unflattering one at that, a person/group creates a sense of power over that something. So, by naming Tess "Gerbil" or by naming the sex between Max and Tess "Tex", or whatever else we make names for we are asserting some claim over these entities. Even names like Dreamer, Candy, or Stargazer - sure they are a way of identifing affiliation, but they are also a way of claiming a small part of ownership in the couples they are named for.

Tess' name as "Gerbil" is a way of asserting power over her just as it is a way of "Othering" her, but that's a whole other story and completely off the question of canon. Still, pretty interesting stuff if you ask the academic in me.
A better world has got to start somewhere. Why not with you and me?
Tasyfa
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Tasyfa »

Class of 2002, Norma. 2001 is indeed the end of S2, and S3 ends in 2002.
hugs, Tas
"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
~Henry Jenkins
coley452
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by coley452 »

lizard_queen wrote:Sorry Norma, have no idea. But maybe you could answer me this:

Who was the band that played in Alex's dream when Isabel dreamwalked him in Heat Wave?
I'm pretty sure it was Save Ferris -the song was "Let Me In" if you go to http://roswell.na.nu/lyrics/index.html it shows pretty much all of the original music played on the show
~Nichole~

To err is human--and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
- Robert Orben
Norma Bates
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Norma Bates »

lizard_queen wrote:coolies, thanks guys.

Coley452 i noticed on that list they they didn't have Sugarcult. I distinctly remember them playing a sugracult song in the original music for the show. i have no idea what ep or what Sugarcult song, but i do remember singing along to it instead of listening to Liz ask someone for their order at the Crash.
Sugar Cult played Lost In You in the episode Control during season 3.

(Corrected to season 3. Thanks Chrisken)
Last edited by Norma Bates on Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I love my horse. Really.
Tasyfa
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Tasyfa »

So that this doesn't turn into a music thread ;), you can find a list of ALL music for all seasons, by episode, with scene listings, for both the show and the changes in the DVDs as well (as much as is known to date), at PHMustang's wonderful site, here.

Norma, so far as I know the only timeline there might be for S3 would be at shapeshifter's Archive site, linked at the beginning of the thread. If you read through Zero's Introduction, there was usually a timeline at the end of the intro and I think the intro archived is the most recent one. But whatever's there may not be extensive; people kind of lost interest in the mythology in S3 when it pretty much blew up in our faces. *shrug* :)
hugs, Tas
"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
~Henry Jenkins
Norma Bates
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Norma Bates »

Tasyfa wrote:Norma, so far as I know the only timeline there might be for S3 would be at shapeshifter's Archive site, linked at the beginning of the thread. If you read through Zero's Introduction, there was usually a timeline at the end of the intro and I think the intro archived is the most recent one. But whatever's there may not be extensive; people kind of lost interest in the mythology in S3 when it pretty much blew up in our faces. *shrug* :)
hugs, Tas
I have looked at the site a couple of times. I wasn't able to find a timeline "linked at the beginning of the thread." Zero's intro only goes up to 6/1/2001 and then jumps to TEOTW 2014. I might have to break down and go through season 3 and piece one together myself. I have already started it but putzing time is the issue. If I ever get it done, do you want me to post my guestimate somewhere?
I love my horse. Really.
lizard_queen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by lizard_queen »

Ok, i have no idea who it was but somewhere, ages ago in this thread, someone asked what Antar looked like. I found this pic in the screen caps for Off The Menu, when max is healing Brody and he gets flashes of Antar, so anyway... this is what Antar looks like, according to the flashes:

:D Ki-ki :D

My Stuff

RebeccaBehrEvans
Addicted Roswellian
Location: Like Heidi... in the green, but freaking cold mountain!!

Post by RebeccaBehrEvans »

Norma Bates... I don't know more about the timeline for Season 3 than what people already told you...I mean, nothing really accurate, but I remember that in CHant Down Babylon when Liz asked Maria if she wanted to stay and she hesitated, she told her that it wouldn't be a problem since it was (or was going to be soon) Spring Break and so there wouldn't be many people around anyway... Then if you remember when Max is walking to the dorms of the Academy, we see him looking up and see that there is only one light on, apparently Liz's bedroom... so I guess everyone had already left then. (though why she would be the ONLY one to stay is beyond me :roll: but well, I guess that it wouldn't have helped for the 'I'm gonna kill you' scene, if people had been all around, trying to save her :roll: :lol: )

Hope it helps in some way, but that's pretty much the time frame you already had? :?
Norma Bates
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Norma Bates »

RebeccaBehrEvans wrote: Hope it helps in some way, but that's pretty much the time frame you already had? :?
In Ch-Ch-Changes Liz travels 1 week to get to Winnaman in Vermont.

In Pancea, Michael's conversation with Monk placed Monk's death around Valentines day.

Liz was at Winnaman for 2 weeks when Maria showed up (Chant & confirmed in Who Died and Made You King? when Mr. Evans was talking to Isabel { :shock: Writer consistancy?})

When's Vermont's school system spring break anyway (scratch that...around Easter. Max rising from the ashes...Jesus analogy much?)
When did 4 Aliens and a Baby happen?
When did the Crash episode happen?
When was the baby found?
Tess die?
I love my horse. Really.
lizard_queen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by lizard_queen »

I know that in 4 Aliens and A Baby Max and Liz were 'studying' for their Sats... when ever they are. (i'm an Aussie, we dont have Sats.) and then in Graduation the Sat's were done...

That probably didn't help much.
:D Ki-ki :D

My Stuff