Essay about Roswell FanFiction and also need help!

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Roswellian117
Addicted Roswellian

Essay about Roswell FanFiction and also need help!

Post by Roswellian117 »

This is an essay I recently wrote in my college english class about Roswell FanFiction. I could really use help writing a story of my own. I have lots of ideas. So if anyone wants to help please be my guest! Anyway, heres my essay. Enjoy and please review!

Fan Fiction

“Why do writer’s write? Because it isn’t there.” –Thomas Berger. I wasn’t born to write but through fan fiction my mind made a creative discovery. This discovery would take me to places in my mind I never thought I could, or would, go. It wasn’t until I was 12 or 13 that my hand found the love of a pen and the smell of paper, and now the feel of a keyboard beneath my fingers.
What is fan fiction you may ask? Thefreedictionary.com describes it as: Fiction written by fans as an extension of an admired work or series, especially a television show, often posted on the Internet or published in fanzines. I have found that through this particular form of writing, I am allowed to be creative with the shows characters. Every time I sit down to write a new story my mind explores different angles that that the show could’ve gone. I can explore stories about sexuality with my characters as well as political and social issues. I have taken my characters to different planets and different periods in time. All in all, as the years have passed, fan fiction has made me a much more creative and effective writer.
The fan fiction community I belong to is based on my favorite television show of all time. Roswell. It was about alien teenagers, truelove, FBI, murder-mystery; all the things that should make a top rated series. Unfortunately, Roswell only lasted three seasons (1999-2002) and it was by far the most underrated show I have ever watched. When Roswell was cancelled I remember this surge of Fan fiction appearing on all the fan sites because we felt as though we were robbed. We had laughed with these people, cried with these people and watched them grow as actors and people. Roswell helped me through troubles that I felt, and it made me happy. It is one of the most beautiful memories from my adolescence, and I started writing fan fiction about it to remember all the beautiful moments and create new ones. My first few stories, which were short, were not very good. However, as time passed I felt myself improving. I found people on my fan fiction community to be very willing to help edit and give creative ideas. It is called fanfiction.net and you will find most of my stories on there in the Roswell section. It is one of the best communities of fan fiction online.
Roswellfanatics.net is where you will find me reading fan fiction most of the time. I have read stories on roswellfanatics.net that have made me angry, laugh, cry, sad, etc. These writers are so brilliant that they make me believe I am actually watching an episode of Roswell. Roswellfanatics.net is more than just the fan fiction; it is a community of people who strive to write the best of the best. The writers there have taken the show, from where it left off, to another level, and in turn the competition makes me explore new areas of my writing. This also helps me to understand the details of my characters and go into more descriptive detail. I have brought to life characters that over time are being forgotten, but these stories will forever be in the universe known as the Internet.
In conclusion, I have learned more about what makes me an effective writer by writing fan fiction, I have also learned more about myself. I have explored areas within myself that most people couldn’t dream of. Fan fiction has made me the creative writer I am today, and without it, I would have never known what my mind is capable of. I would have never explored any type of creative writing if it were not for Roswell and fan fiction. I am truly grateful for what writing fan fiction has done to me, and what areas it allows me to explore creatively. Hopefully, it continues for years to come.
dreamer19

Re: Essay about Roswell FanFiction and also need help!

Post by dreamer19 »

I really enjoyed our essay. I can relate a lot. :D