WHERE do you get your best story ideas?

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: WHERE do you get your best story ideas?

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

For me...it used to be I had an hour and a half drive to work (and back) every day so during that time I would get these great ideas so while I was in traffic I would write them down. Now that I'm 4 minutes to work from home, I don't have that kind of time, so usually if I'm listening to a song or making a piece of artwork (that's not posted) in my spare time, a storyline will come to me. (not that I'm writing anymore, but that's how it used to be for me.
dreamer19

Post by dreamer19 »

Usually when I'm trying to fall asleep. My mind is going a million a minute. Sometimes I get up and just write something down others I forget the next morning.
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Well to be honest...I have no where that's better than the other.

The ideas just pop in my head suddenly out of no where and it can happen any where.....at work,driving the car,in the shower,while I'm shaving....hell I've even dreamed a few ideas and wrote them down the next morning.
spacegirl23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by spacegirl23 »

Usually, from a movie, or a scene in a movie or TV show. I also get inspired by songs sometimes.
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

In the shower or late at night when I'm trying to sleep, that's where I get most of my ideas.

Michael : From day one, I knew you were the girl for me, I never wanted anyone else.
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Raychelxluscious »

xmag wrote:In the shower or late at night when I'm trying to sleep, that's where I get most of my ideas.
Ditto. Showers are my thinking time, and I usually come up with pretty awesome (I think) scenes and what not. And I'm usually attacked when I'm trying to drift off to sleep. I'm also too tired to get up and write by that point, so oftentimes I forget some. I find the ones I forget to not be very memorable (obviously), because the good ones are always waiting when I wake up. ;)
writing is a socially accepted form of schizophrenia

Roswell, New Mexico S1 Watch Party
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by PML »

Music. I have an active imagination and plot bunnies and ideas are constantly burbling, but listening to a piece of music and a scene will flash before my eyes. Ironically, the lyrics often don't matter, the inspiration often leading in some other unrelated tangent. But the emotion of the song, the feel of it....

That is what inspires me.
Jezebel Jinx
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Jezebel Jinx »

Lately, for the last few weeks, I've been getting ideas outside on the back porch...it's not really a porch more like a slab of concrete surrounded by a lawn but it's our porch. :roll: :lol:

Anyway since it's been mostly nice weather I've been sitting outside for about an hour at least four times a week and that's where ideas have been unfolding.
Sig made by AngelFaith
My Fics
Ships: Bangel~Spuffy~Polar~Jumper~Drifter~X-tremer~Awakened Dreamer~Catfighter~Naley~Rogan~Liason~Chilly~Delena~Sebasthryn~Ezria~Jaylee
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by ken_r »

I have finished 28 stories in the time i have been writing fanfic. I have 6 to 10 in progress as my mood takes them from the failed file or sends them back. When the story starts the activity always takes place from something i have experienced or some incident someone related to me. I have no idea of whether the stories are good or not. The ones i think are super seem to bomb and the ones i feel are a bit crappy sometimes do well, at least for me. Sometimes a favorite of mine actually is accepted. Sometimes most of the readership is after the story is put away as complete.

I am scratching my brain. I have no idea of where i get the original idea from.

ken r
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-
KiaraAlexisKlay
Addicted Roswellian

Post by KiaraAlexisKlay »

Anytime, anywhere.

Most of my ideas come and I write them down and stick them in a binder to come back to later when Muse Jareth decides to let them out to play. I am about ready to move to a second binder for my Roswell stories, although I have another one for other genre stories.

I do find the majority of the time I come up with ideas after listening to a song, after a debate with my eldest brother, or when I go over a scene in movie/tv show/book and think of how it could have been better written and how I would have wrote it...LOL.

I admit a few of my better ideas (many of the stories in the I, Liz thread) came to me while I was at work supposed to be...wow, shocking, working! :lol: But a few came from inspiration when I read someone else's story (Blood Will Tell) or through a challenge (Da Man N' His Woman, Chimera's Kismet).

Occassionally, reviewing my own work will oftentimes inspire me to not only flesh that story out, but also give an AHA! I could have done this and changed this thingie over here, then the story will become that and soon I have a brand new story!

:)

banner made by RoswellOracle!