Authors' irrational fears

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Authors' irrational fears

Post by KatnotKath »

nibbles2 wrote:My fear, with almost four years on the clock, is that I'll never finish Gold Diggers. But that's not so irrational.
You'll get there I'm sure. Now me with Family Connections, that could be another matter lol
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
When Love and Loss Collide
When Friendship and Love Combine - New!
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
I Knew Him Before (PB fic)
Love Always...
The First Time Around - New!
Whimsicality
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Whimsicality »

Well this thread hasn't been posted on in a while but I totally empathize with all the fears posted here, especially about having so many ideas and trying to actually complete a story and not get distracted.

One of my fears right now is that I'm working on a new story that rather heavily features an OC and I am flat out terrified that once I start posting it people are going to hate it or cry mary sue. My beta is enjoying it and has tried to reassure me but I've never written a fic before that had an OC as one of the main cast and while there are a few amazing stories on this board that feature wonderful OC's I'm afraid mine will be terrible.

Whimsicality's Fics

There was nothing more she wanted to do than crawl back into bed, wrap herself in Michael, and spend the day trading kisses and learning what made him sigh, what made his breath catch, what made him purr in the back of his throat. - Liz in Hunted by Ashita

Polar Attraction - Not just for Polarists...
vilandragirl
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by vilandragirl »

Whimsicality wrote:One of my fears right now is that I'm working on a new story that rather heavily features an OC and I am flat out terrified that once I start posting it people are going to hate it or cry mary sue. My beta is enjoying it and has tried to reassure me but I've never written a fic before that had an OC as one of the main cast and while there are a few amazing stories on this board that feature wonderful OC's I'm afraid mine will be terrible.
The nice thing about an OC is that you can make them whatever you want. So if she is a Mary Sue, that might be OK. I think what people really have a problem with is when you take Liz and make her a Mary Sue. If a Mary Sue is required, it should be an OC. Not sure if this makes you feel any better, or not. Trust your beta, though. That's what they're there for.
April
Roswell Fanatic

Post by April »

I'm starting to realize that one of my biggest fears is that my readers will abandon the fic I'm writing, because I take things to some pretty uncomfortable places sometimes, but I always do it with a purpose. Still, real life is bad enough, so angsty fiction can be difficult to read, and I get that.

So, yeah, I guess I just . . . I don't want to be alone! :lol: I have abandonment issues.
LOVE IS MICHAEL AND MARIA.
Whimsicality
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Whimsicality »

Thanks vilandagirl, and yeah, trusting your beta is definitely good advice, I don't know what I would do without mine.

And April, well your fear made me laugh but only because I empathize, if you really boil it down all the ones listed here lead back to that fear, because all of them are reasons people wouldn't read, or would stop reading our fics. Author abandonment issues, :lol: , think they have a support group for that?

Whimsicality's Fics

There was nothing more she wanted to do than crawl back into bed, wrap herself in Michael, and spend the day trading kisses and learning what made him sigh, what made his breath catch, what made him purr in the back of his throat. - Liz in Hunted by Ashita

Polar Attraction - Not just for Polarists...
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

That my writting sucks! And that's not a fear.....it's how I feel most of the time.I've got stuff saved that I've done and when I look at it I go "Nooooo I can't put that out there god it stinks!" I read numerous great stories on this board and go "Damn! Wish I could write like that!"
Ti88
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Ti88 »

killjoy if any of its lamptrimmer fic...post it please. or anything else for that matter.

this thread is so great for me, cause i don't feel so alone anymore. i mean i was terrified to post my first fic her or anywhere. i posted my first one at a board that no one really responded to, becuase places like this intimidated me so bad. i mean you guys all rock and then there are people who are ack published oh my god. but i finally caved and each time i post something new my heart starts pounding. i have a fic i have been writing for 10yrs. i have to finish it. if i don't i don't think i'll complete anything else. and i have finshed other pieces, but they were short.

i also worry i'm going to accidently offend someone. i don't like to do that...well unless i mean to. and i don't believe in doing that on paper.

my other fear is that i'll one day log on and there will be no more roswell fics out there. yep i know i'm crazy but i have seen many boards go away...it freaks me out. these are my safe creative heavans. everytime i write fanfic i go and get the courage to write something original in my notebook. so yeah thats it
Roselle
Abandon Structure
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Abandon Structure »

I'd say ask anybody who's ever read one of my fics, but I'm not entirely sure a lot of people have so you might be looking a while.

But ask and you'll discover I have the same symptoms as many people - I have a short attention span, love writing new stories, and am pretty much a dunce and dweeb at updating and keeping the story going. I've got three stories posted here right now (I think...it could just be two) and all I can say is that I've given up plotting for one of them because the next chapter I write never follows the line anyways and I've given up on the other when I made it to the seventy sixth chapter plot wise and somehow managed to not only not be done with it, but have spawned five other stories of equal potential length. I've never wanted to shove my head in a microwave (while it's off, of course) more.

My problem isn't coming up with material to write about, it's just keeping the flow going. Usually I get the most writing done within the first month or two but by then I've usually managed to get sidetracked by another idea. Also, I rely heavily on music for inspiration and there are periods in time when the song I was using for a particular scene will suddenly fall flat. On days like that I can't write for fear of screwing it up.

But this isn't really a 'My Fears and Failures' post for me. Mostly it's just a reassurance to people who don't think they're good enough.

Here's the truth: we all suck.

Why?

Ask yourself this: do you really think everybody in the world really gives a crap about the story you're writing in your basement/at school/at work/in your bedroom/wherever?

Answer: 'Course not. We Roswellians/Writers in general are a sadly forgotten or misplaced lot for the most part.

Next question: (Gee thanks for your wonderful words of wisdom, AS) What the hell is wrong with me? Why would I post something that gawdawful depressing? Am I really that big of a bitch?

Answer: While the bitch-factor can be called into question at times, the truth of the matter is no, I'm not being mean. I'm actually being quite nice. Wanna know why?

Because when you realize that grand sum total of people who don't give a shit far outweighs the number that do, you come to the unique and wonderful realization that you don't give a shit about them either. Ain't life grand like that?

Seriously, though, you want a great how-to guide for writing of any sort, I'd recommend Steven King's 'On Writing'. In all his profound wisdom, the most truthful statement I've ever come across for writing comes from him.

Writing is a selfish endeavor. We don't (and shouldn't) write because we want to give something to someone, we should write because we have this great and wonderful idea that's itching to escape the brain via the fingers (or hands in general and, on occassion, mouth) and that initial bought of inspiration is like the only candle in a room of darkness: hoard the damn thing. Keep it for yourself, feed it, watch it grow, and when you're finished, if you feel like it, share it.

I don't know if this is particularly helpful for anybody, but it's just a reminder of sorts for myself. I never started writing because I wanted to become famous or I wanted recognition: I started writing because I love to write. Sure, with anything you love it's going to have its ups and downs, but it's always there, waiting for you to come back.

All you gotta do is write.
When Eve ate the apple, her knowledge increased, but God liked dumb women, so paradise ceased.
~Faking It by Jennifer Cruisie
Rowedog
Forum Moderator

Post by Rowedog »

April wrote:Sometimes I read my earlier fics, and I think to myself, "Oh my god, I don't want to be associated with those!"
Oh, me too. You have no idea how many times I've nearly asked for a certain fic to be deleted. Now that I have MOD power, it's even harder to resist...
Here's the truth: we all suck.

Why?

Ask yourself this: do you really think everybody in the world really gives a crap about the story you're writing in your basement/at school/at work/in your bedroom/wherever?
I don't think sucking has anything to do with the amount of people who read/care about your work. It generally has more to do with how good you are at what you're doing. I could be the best golfer in the world, but play by myself, at night all alone with no one ever finding out just how rad I am. It wouldn't mean that I suck at golf, just because no one cares about me playing golf. It would mean that I lack either the desire or self esteem to play competitions (Pro-tip: I actually suck at golf :P ). I mean, I happen to think Stephanie Meyer sucks, but masses of hormonal teens (and some of their mums) love her work. Does she still suck, even though masses of people all over the world love her work? Yes, yes she does. (Sorry twihards :wink: )

I understand you're trying to put some perspective on our fears by showing us how meaningless they are, but I don't think that telling a bunch of people who already worry about their work that they all suck is the way to go about it :lol:
Alison’s Fics

Round 13 Funniest Feedbacker
Round 14 Feedbacker You Follow Around The Board (Stalkers!!)
Round 14 Most Thought Provoking Feedbacker
Abandon Structure
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Abandon Structure »

True enough. The point was mostly to point out that worrying about our writing shouldn't be the main 'mainstay' of our writing - it should be the writing itself. As long as you keep at it and love doing it, you're okay.
When Eve ate the apple, her knowledge increased, but God liked dumb women, so paradise ceased.
~Faking It by Jennifer Cruisie