Authors' irrational fears

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Tears_of_Mercury
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Authors' irrational fears

Post by Tears_of_Mercury »

Okay, so I'm pretty sure there isn't a thread about this, and masochist that I am, thought it would be great if all the fanfic writers could share their irrational insecurities/fears/worries regarding writing, both Rosfic and in general.

I always worry about whether or not I'll be able to complete a fic. I haven't attempted that many multi-chapter stories, but I've never finished any before. So if I get a nice groove with a story and am updating fairly frequently, if I have a day or two where I just don't feel like writing I will completely flip my lid convinced that I am never ever going to be able to write for this story again if I can't write something good right this instant. :lol: I also worry a lot on fics that aren't beta'd that I will construct this very dramatic/angsty/fill-in-the-blank climax, and at the crucial moment, I will have a glaring, ridiculous typo and everyone will see it and it will completely ruin the chapter for them.
Rowedog
Forum Moderator

Re: Authors' irrational fears

Post by Rowedog »

Similar fears. I get bored really easily, so I'm often worried that I'll be writing the same fic forever and that in turn makes me lose all my inspiration for writing that particular fic (which is terrible if I've already started posting it) and makes that fic take even longer to finish. And, I also love posting new fics, it's that whole 'I've done something new and I want to share' type of thing, so I really get myself into a catch 22.
And even knowing all this, I've only posted one fic that I had completed beforehand. And it was a fantastic experience, and yet... I'm still doing what I always do. :roll:
I also fear that people are reading it and thinking, "How unbelievable is that?" or on the flip side, I worry that no one's reading it.
I am aware that I'm neurotic. :roll: All the best people are.
Alison’s Fics

Round 13 Funniest Feedbacker
Round 14 Feedbacker You Follow Around The Board (Stalkers!!)
Round 14 Most Thought Provoking Feedbacker
April
Roswell Fanatic

Post by April »

Cool idea for a thread!

I never worry about being able to complete my fics just because I usually only start posting after I'm done writing it, or I post it after I've written 700 pages already (as is the case of my current fic.) I love to start posting a new fic, because like you said Rowedog, it gives you this certain feeling, but I'm always worried that no one is going to read it. Or that people or going to stop reading it right as it's getting to the good part! :lol:

Certain scenes are nerve-wracking to post, too. I blush as I'm posting any adult scenes. :oops:

-April
LOVE IS MICHAEL AND MARIA.
Tears_of_Mercury
Enthusiastic Roswellian

I'm always worried that no one is going to read it. Or that people or going to stop reading it right as it's getting to the good part!
I get scared out of my mind thinking that I'm going to post the best thing I've ever written and, for whatever reason, it doesn't pique a single person's interest. That, I think, can sometimes be worse than having reviewers dislike a part.
lizandzackfan
Addicted Roswellian

Post by lizandzackfan »

I don't know if my stories are any good, I know I get a little feedback but no where near how much other people get. I love writing and I think that how can you love something so much if your not good at it you know? But when I read a really good stories I can't help but think how much mine sucks compared to it. I also get where some of you are scared that you might not finish a story because sadly I have yet to finish one also. I keep starting other ones. :(
Thanks to precariousem for my sig banner.
Check out my site.
http://writersfanfiction.darkbb.com/index.htm
April
Roswell Fanatic

Post by April »

Aw, lizandzackfan, I'm sure your stories are great!

You know, a lot of the amount of feedback you get depends on luck, too. If people just happen to stumble upon the story and get interested in it, then you luck out, but sometimes really great stories get overlooked. This doesn't mean that it has anything to do with your writing. ;)

I learned quite early on that it does no good to compare your fics to anyone else's fics. Everyone has a different style of writing and a different story to tell, so really, there is no use comparing. Every fic is unique, and as long as the author enjoys writing it, it is a success regardless of whether anyone reads it or not. (Trust me on this. I once wrote a fic that was about 2,200 pages long--NO JOKE--and my computer crashed. I lost the story because I stupidly didn't have it backed up anywhere. No one will ever get to read it, but I think of it as an accomplishment becasue I personally enjoyed writing it.) ;)

-April
LOVE IS MICHAEL AND MARIA.
lizandzackfan
Addicted Roswellian

Post by lizandzackfan »

It's good to look at it that way. Yea I know it's just a bad habit I have.
Thanks to precariousem for my sig banner.
Check out my site.
http://writersfanfiction.darkbb.com/index.htm
jbangelo
Administrator

Post by jbangelo »

April wrote:(Trust me on this. I once wrote a fic that was about 2,200 pages long--NO JOKE--and my computer crashed. I lost the story because I stupidly didn't have it backed up anywhere. No one will ever get to read it, but I think of it as an accomplishment becasue I personally enjoyed writing it.) ;)
Omg, I would have cried! :lol:

The thing I worry about most is that I won't get the characterizations right, or that I'll make a character do something and the reader will think, "[So and so] would NEVER do that!" I'm also terrified of writing anything sci-fi-related, which is why I tend to stay away from it, and focus more on the relationship part of my stories. (And why is it that I only write fic for a sci-fi show? :lol:)
“You know you’re right for someone when they force you to be the best version of yourself.”

KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

April wrote:Every fic is unique, and as long as the author enjoys writing it
That's exactly how I feel April. I always said that I was writing for myself first, as long as I enjoyed writing the story, that was the important thing.

Unfortunately recently I've been going through a pretty difficult time in my normal life, and it's rubbing off on my writing. My muse is so tempremental, and while I hope it's irratitional and untrue. I do worry that it's never going to come back to me properly, that I'm going to loose a very important method of relaxation to me...
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
When Love and Loss Collide
When Friendship and Love Combine - New!
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
I Knew Him Before (PB fic)
Love Always...
The First Time Around - New!
Tears_of_Mercury
Enthusiastic Roswellian

KatnotKath wrote:I always said that I was writing for myself first, as long as I enjoyed writing the story, that was the important thing.

Writing for yourself can be extremely hard, especially when you *know* that readers won't like a certain development or storyline. I guess personally I just try to remember what made me fall in love with the story in the firt place. Still, it can be really hard... especially if you're getting blocked and are convinced you won't be able to deliver what your readers want from you or what you want from yourself.
Unfortunately recently I've been going through a pretty difficult time in my normal life, and it's rubbing off on my writing. My muse is so tempremental, and while I hope it's irratitional and untrue. I do worry that it's never going to come back to me properly, that I'm going to loose a very important method of relaxation to me...
Aw! *hugs* It's perfectly understandable to be worried about losing your muse. It does seem to work that way, doesn't it -- either you do your best writing during awful times in real life or you can't seem to write at all then. Sometimes, in Max's words, it can help to just take a step back for awhile. If you know that you're going to come back and not just quit but you also know that there's no pressure to produce something now, it can sometimes really free you up to focus on RL and then get those writing corners of your brain uncluttered when you're ready to use them.

I hope your muse comes back soon!