Topics not explored in fanfic

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

vilandragirl
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Topics not explored in fanfic

Post by vilandragirl »

I got this idea from cardinalgirl on a different thread (hope it's OK to steal it), and I wanted to hear others' thoughts.

What topics are not covered in fanfic that you wish you would see more?

I personally wish the issue of Leanna/Jennifer was addressed, since it was pretty much dropped on the show.
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Topics not explored in fanfic

Post by nibbles2 »

Interesting topic.

It's funny how nobody uses Jennifer/Leanna in fics considering how other characters who never even made it onto the screen or had a line have been used to within an inch of their lives - Serena, Pam Troy, Agnes anybody? I do remember one fic where Jennifer came to Roswell to protect Maria and Liz from the aliens after Alex died, can't remember who wrote it but that's the only one I can remember.
Tears_of_Mercury
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Tears_of_Mercury »

nibbles2 wrote:Interesting topic.

It's funny how nobody uses Jennifer/Leanna in fics considering how other characters who never even made it onto the screen or had a line have been used to within an inch of their lives - Serena, Pam Troy, Agnes anybody? I do remember one fic where Jennifer came to Roswell to protect Maria and Liz from the aliens after Alex died, can't remember who wrote it but that's the only one I can remember.
I don't remember that one, but I do recall "Shadows" by FallenMagic where Leanna faked Alex's death and later Liz's and protected them.

Umm... one topic that I've actually seen fairly little of done are anxiety/panic disorders. Obviously the number of real life people whose lives are affected by it deeply isn't as great as say that of people who suffer from depression or use self-injury as a coping mechanism. But considering that our fandom is home to Max, Liz, and Isabel, three of the biggest control freaks and repressors ever, it is interesting how little it's been done. The few times I have seen something like that used in a story in or out of the fandom, it's usually used more as comic relief or is more in the vein of Max having some form of PTSD from his time in the white room.

Also, aside from PWP and UC/Slash fic, we don't see a lot of main characters being made gay or bisexual. Which considering cannon makes sense. I'm not sure if there's anything else that's underused, though - our fandom is incredibly diverse. :)
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

I find strange that Kyle, in fics, who is supposed to be the single one, isn't paired with a girl who would be from another... what's the word in english? sorry, a different skin color. A girl from Africa, China, Japan, or Egypt. The other characters are very much taken, in terms of couples, but Kyle isn't and he always ends up with Ava, Tess or Isabel.

Same with OC or some we have heard about but never seen, like Serena.
tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by tequathisy »

nibbles2 wrote:Interesting topic.

that sounds vaguely familiar...It's mine right? I remember specifically using Jennifer as a character in the fic because I'd never seen her used before and I wanted to try something original instead of using Serena.

Something I've never seen done is fics is dealing with Isabel and Michael's feelings after Max saves Liz's life. They're usually looked at as being the bad guys when they express anger at Max for exposing them and then telling Liz without talking it over with them first. It would be intersting to see a fic where it's given a more balanced treatment. If instead of being portrayed as jerks, Michael and Isabel's feelings of betrayal were dealt with properly.

I've also never seen a fic where Max is portrayed in the Tess role - the outsider who arrives in town to find Tess and the others. I've seen loads where it's Liz who comes to town destined to be with Max. What about one where Max is destined to be with Tess and when he comes to town he's intent on fulfilling that destiny, finds out she has a life and then falls in love with Liz but is torn between his destiny and his true feelings. Actually...I think I made that a challenge once and it was taken but never posted. :(

Also, topics not explored in fanfics - unwanted teen pregnancies, or the consequences of teen pregnancies. Usually when a character gets pregnant, it all magically works out.
Banner by Evelyn
Ansleyrocks
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Ansleyrocks »

tequathisy wrote: Also, topics not explored in fanfics - unwanted teen pregnancies, or the consequences of teen pregnancies. Usually when a character gets pregnant, it all magically works out.

Very true. Also I don't think I have ever read a fic that dealt with one of the characters having an STD or a fic even going into the topic. There is a lot of plot room with that but no one really goes near it.
Stargazer's Delight
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Stargazer's Delight »

Ansleyrocks wrote:
tequathisy wrote: Also, topics not explored in fanfics - unwanted teen pregnancies, or the consequences of teen pregnancies. Usually when a character gets pregnant, it all magically works out.

Very true. Also I don't think I have ever read a fic that dealt with one of the characters having an STD or a fic even going into the topic. There is a lot of plot room with that but no one really goes near it.
I've read a couple fics with unwanted pregnancies & sadly with the termination included, not see it often but some are out there. Don't remember names of the ones i read, don't really care to.

Ansleyrocks: Good point, closest i read to that was a fic with an alien std that each Liz,Maria & Alex got. But was eventually healed by the granolith, never seen one with Human diseases .
Though one with Tess and a case of AIDS that can't be cured would be an ammusing fic :lol:

Don't know if ever been done, but one with Kivar comming to Earth with intent to destroy the group and it all ends fine with Max realising Kivar's not bad and what he did in there previous life was justified and they all end up friends and the aliens can go back to their planet whenever they want peacefully.
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Ansleyrocks wrote:

Well.......there is a story from this board where everyone thinks Tess,Max,Liz,Isabel,Alex,Michael,Maria and Jim were murdered.But in truth they had killed the evil aliens who attacked them and than changed them to look like the Pod Squad and their humans in order for them to throw off the bad guys and allow them time to go into hiding.Kyle,who was late for the meeting where the attack happened,finds the 'bodes' and not knowing of the change thinks his dad,Tess(who he was dating) and his friends are now dead.His life goes into a deep tail spin.He becomes depressed and hooked on drugs.When the gang shows back up years later Kyle is pissed off that they left him,never telling him that they were alive and putting him through everything he had to deal with after their 'deaths'.Later it's found out that Kyle picked up HIV from a dirty needle back during his bad drug period.Max is unable to heal him and he dies from AIDS.
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

You know I've always wondered...what ever happened to the kids Max healed in the cancer ward? Did they develop powers down the road? And if so and with no one there to explain why to them..what happened?
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

killjoy wrote:You know I've always wondered...what ever happened to the kids Max healed in the cancer ward? Did they develop powers down the road? And if so and with no one there to explain why to them..what happened?
At least one fic covered this:

Chameleon by Carol000