Characters as different races?

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Post by girl afraid »

KiaraAlexisKlay wrote:Brendan Fehr is Canadian, so he's probably Anglo-French, maybe a little Native?

Maria (Majandra) Delfino is actually Brazillian or Portugeuese isn't she? Somewhere down in South/Central America, lol.
I think Brendan's ancestry is actually German, and Majandra is from Venezuela.
it's better to rise than fade away.
RoswAlien_Lady
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RoswAlien_Lady »

Augustus Snodgrass wrote:Jason Behr is actually Italian, German and Objibwe Native American.

No wonder we can all picture Max as the suave, smooth talking Italian!
No wonder he's so beautiful
I'm open to quotes that make you think...I just can't think of any
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

It's like when there are brand new characters added to a story. How come they are never black, or chinese ?
RoswAlien_Lady
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RoswAlien_Lady »

Many people, myself included, have always pictured Serena as a beautiful black woman.
I'm open to quotes that make you think...I just can't think of any
Behrystrwbry
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Behrystrwbry »

RoswAlien_Lady wrote:Many people, myself included, have always pictured Serena as a beautiful black woman.
glad I'm not the only one

b.
I spy with my little eye something that starts with B.
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Characters as different races?

Post by ken_r »

To me the character is more important than the ethnicity. Changing ethnicity gives a whole new range of obstacles and opportunities. I have one story that I will post this fall where the Roswell crash happened in the same location but in 1891. To make Max and Liz come from different sides of the tracks I made Max the son of a rancher and Liz the daughter of a sheepherder. In this case I chose Basque rather than Hispanic. I made a game out of it by trying to follow canon, at least in the story line while I used this time difference. 1891 is the year, I believe that Roswell was founded, Liz’s parents worked for a British Lord, named Parker. He assumed the names Jeff, Nancy and Lizzy because he said it would be too hard for the south westerners to pronounce Basque names.

Since most of my stories occur in the southwest I have tried to include Navajo, Hispanic, Mexican and even South American head-hunters as extras. I found a helper in Misha who translates phrases and slang into Spanish to spice up my stories.

Fan fic is an art. We can paint so many beautiful pictures.

ken r
Free RoswellFanatics from Comcast tyranny!!!
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-
Hunter
Forum Moderator

Post by Hunter »

I've always pictured Serena as a dark haired woman with tanned olive skin and has green eyes. It's just the name sounds exotic, For me I either picture her as hawaiian or similar in looks to Kristin Kruek from Smallville (I don't know why lol).

And Liz, she could pass on as hispanic or Egyptian. She has those nice dark brown eyes and dark brown hair.

Omg! I didn't know Jason Behr was of many different ehtnicities..Italien, German and I can't remember the others..he's really good looking. Looked hot in Roswell. Very smoking hot. :oops:
pijeechinadoll
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by pijeechinadoll »

Hunter wrote:I've always pictured Serena as a dark haired woman with tanned olive skin and has green eyes. It's just the name sounds exotic, For me I either picture her as hawaiian or similar in looks to Kristin Kruek from Smallville (I don't know why lol).

And Liz, she could pass on as hispanic or Egyptian. She has those nice dark brown eyes and dark brown hair.

Omg! I didn't know Jason Behr was of many different ehtnicities..Italien, German and I can't remember the others..he's really good looking. Looked hot in Roswell. Very smoking hot. :oops:
^^ lol i agree totally agree with you on all accounts.
but with Serena yes dark hair but i can also imagine her as a red head. :D

ping ^^
♥LUv roSWEll♥lOvE MaX eVAns♥LoVe Liz PaRKeR♥luV bEiNg a DrEamR♥LuV FANFICS♥
xoxoxox
To see a World in a Grain of Sand,And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand, And Eternity in an hour
(william blake)
Kath7
Administrator

Re:

Post by Kath7 »

KiaraAlexisKlay wrote:Hmmm....Jason Behr is part Italian! LOL So am I!

Brendan Fehr is Canadian, so he's probably Anglo-French, maybe a little Native?

Brendan is Mennonite...Mennonites are of German descent.

Most Canuck-borns are of many backgrounds however. All our immigrant great-grandparents married each other, or else they married the First Nations people already living here. In fact, we have a whole new race of people in Canada, the Metis, who are descended from First Nations women and the French or Scots or English men who married them.
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

On this show both of his parents were white...but I've always thought of a story idea where Alex's dad was white but his mom was hispanic which also added to his being an outcast at school...even more than his being a bit of a geek.