Characters as different races?

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by tequathisy »

Evelynn wrote:Well, in the book series, they were completely different. Liz was hispanic, right? And Max was blonde. And Michael had black hair, if I'm remembering right.

Evelynn
According to Melina Metz, the publishers had the front cover of the book made up with photographs of models as the characters and she based her description of the characters on the photographs.
Banner by Evelyn
Coccy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Coccy »

it's a good question cuz i read ff with them be another race

the only one i can really picture be another race is Liz, cuz originally she was like a "Hispanic princess" and in the show Shiri Appleby is still an exotic beauty from what i remember she isn't only American, she got dark hair and eyes, a skin not so pale so I can picture her be Hispanic or maybe the daughter of a white woman and a black man (or viceversa). i can picture her as an Egyptian too i saw a manip with her and it was just perfect *__*

As for Max i can picture him as an Italian (i've always thought that Jason is damn sexy like a roman soldier *.* he's so dark with that strong jawline *.* ) or an Egyptian him too or a Hebrew - but not a black man (just like for Michael, Alex and Kyle.)

definitely Liz is the only one that i can see being another race but always not completely black.. an octoroon, half white and half black.. it seems more believable for me ;)
"You're what would bring me back.
Even if my molecules were spread out from here to whatever galaxy my home planet is in,
that wouldn't stop me. All my molecules would be like little homing pigeons.
They'd all zoom to you, and then I'd re-form." - Max Evans; Roswell High - The Watcher
Dreamer Idolatry - M&L community || My arts
Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

Coccy wrote:As for Max i can picture him as an Italian (i've always thought that Jason is damn sexy like a roman soldier *.* he's so dark with that strong jawline *.* )

I think the same thing!! He's just so sexy!

Evelynn
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Post by girl afraid »

Actually, you're right Coccy - I can see Jason as Italian too.
it's better to rise than fade away.
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDude »

killjoy wrote: I also have thought about this color thing before granted it was Serena.Just about everyone has her white with red hair.I once thought what if she was black instead?
It's funny that you say that because when they first mentioned Serena I pictured her as black and as slightly older than the rest of them. And if I was ever to write a fic with her in it I think that is how I would portray her.

~Chad~
Shiesty23
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Shiesty23 »

RosDude wrote:
killjoy wrote: I also have thought about this color thing before granted it was Serena.Just about everyone has her white with red hair.I once thought what if she was black instead?
It's funny that you say that because when they first mentioned Serena I pictured her as black and as slightly older than the rest of them. And if I was ever to write a fic with her in it I think that is how I would portray her.

~Chad~
LOL! I too see Serena as African American....and if I ever get around to writing anything...I too will portray her as such...

SHI
Behrystrwbry
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Behrystrwbry »

Itzstacie wrote:It can be done because it has been done before.. Deejanoise wrote Eyes Lilke Mine which protrayed Liz as a different race. Anything is possible in fanfiction.
I remember a story by blake long before Deejonaise's story where they were in Europe/England and Liz was something else, I want to say black as well or some variation there of. I'm going to go search the archieve and see if I can find the link. if I do I'll post it.The point is, that wasn't the first to portray characters as other races and I doubt it will be the last.

I agree with what others have said about it being easiest to see Liz as something else, as she does and an exotic beauty. And if I'm not mistaken isn't Mr. Behr a hodgepodge of ethnicities himself (I could be wrong). Other characters it's a bit of a stretch but not impossible.

I think the fact that avid fic writers have continued long after the show's ending is a good reason for that. When the show was on I know it was bit more difficult for me to see the characters as anything other than what they were on TV. I'd never bothered to read AU. But now I think many people have taken the characters and turned them into their own. The TAT challenge is a good example of that, placing the characters in different periods in history. I think many people have been very embracing of that.

B.
I spy with my little eye something that starts with B.
Augustus Snodgrass
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Augustus Snodgrass »

Jason Behr is actually Italian, German and Objibwe Native American.

No wonder we can all picture Max as the suave, smooth talking Italian!
I'm finally legal, and he gets married. Oh, the irony. The adolescent fantasies of an 11 year old girl have been crushed.
Coccy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Coccy »

Augustus Snodgrass wrote:Jason Behr is actually Italian, German and Objibwe Native American.

No wonder we can all picture Max as the suave, smooth talking Italian!
i'm proud :P :lol: (an italian girl here :lol:)
"You're what would bring me back.
Even if my molecules were spread out from here to whatever galaxy my home planet is in,
that wouldn't stop me. All my molecules would be like little homing pigeons.
They'd all zoom to you, and then I'd re-form." - Max Evans; Roswell High - The Watcher
Dreamer Idolatry - M&L community || My arts
KiaraAlexisKlay
Addicted Roswellian

Post by KiaraAlexisKlay »

Hmmm....Jason Behr is part Italian! LOL So am I!

Italian, German, Scotch-Irish on my mom's side and German Scotch-Irish on my dad's side.

Shiri is actually part Israeli on her mom's side I read somewhere, and I don't think her father was straight Caucasian either. French or Dutch I can't remember. But Shiri is actually a Hebrew name as well.

Brendan Fehr is Canadian, so he's probably Anglo-French, maybe a little Native?

Maria (Majandra) Delfino is actually Brazillian or Portugeuese isn't she? Somewhere down in South/Central America, lol.

Katherine Heigl and Colin Hanks are probably more Anglo-Saxon than any of the others.

But, I've always thought of Serena as either African-American or some Hispanic mix. Though I had a friend once who wrote her as Asian. I agree with the majority of the people though, Shiri is definately one I could see as not 'straight up' whitebread. Especially seeing the actor who played Jeff Parker. I can reallly see her having some Hispanic and native American in her.

banner made by RoswellOracle!