Characters as different races?

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

sweetbrowneyes
Addicted Roswellian

Characters as different races?

Post by sweetbrowneyes »

I’m not really sure how to ask this because I don’t want to offend and I’m not really sure how to put in words what I’m asking. So I guess I’ll try as best as I can. lol.

Would it be believable if the characters were portrayed as different races? Would you be able to picture it? Say if one of the main characters were written as a black person, would that distract from the story?

We’ve seen some characters written from different countries and speaking different languages, but changing the color of the character’s skin is something totally different.

I hope I’m not offending anyone and Ihope I posted this in the right place. lol I just have a few story ideas and a story I’ve abandoned that I want to do and revise and in order for that to happen and the story to be told the way it’s meant, there’s going to have to be some necessary changes so to speak. lol

So let me know what you think. :D

Tiffany
Be at Peace MJ
Itzstacie
Forum Moderator

Post by Itzstacie »

It can be done because it has been done before.. Deejanoise wrote Eyes Lilke Mine which protrayed Liz as a different race. Anything is possible in fanfiction.
Last edited by Itzstacie on Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

The thing I love about fanfiction is that you can do anything you want with the characters :wink:

The whole concept of fanfiction is for people to create new stuff and put it out there for others to read and enjoy.That's why I hate feedback that says 'oh you had *name a person* so out of character' :roll:

If someone wants to have someone out of character more power to them.I enjoy stories where people are NOT what they were on the show.

Asshole Max,sensitive Michael or stud Alex.To me that's what fanfiction is all about,creating stuff that no one has seen or read.Why box ourselves and our stories into a tiny stereotype where none of the characters can bust out and be something different
dreamer19

Post by dreamer19 »

I think it would be okay to do that. But it might be a little hard to picture them as an entirely different race. I mean if it was something like Liz being a Native American that would easier to picture. So I am totally open to it, but some people might not be receptive because they love the characters as they are. :roll:
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Well like I said I don't like to stick characters in a box and say you can only write them in this way and this way only.

That's why we have an AU board,a AA board not to mention an AU without Aliens board!

I also have thought about this color thing before granted it was Serena.Just about everyone has her white with red hair.I once thought what if she was black instead?

So I have no problem with your idea.
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Post by girl afraid »

I think it would definitely be quite easy to picture Liz as Native American, as dreamer19 said, because she was written as such in the Roswell High books (I think?) and Shiri already had the dark, exotic beauty. Serena would also work for me because the show never told us anything about what she looked like.

For me though, an Asian Tess or a black Michael would be hard to picture but I certainly don't have a problem with anyone wanting to write them that way, and if written well I'd definitely be open to it. The only thing that bugs me is when characters are OOC (sorry killjoy :lol: ) but that's another thread altogether, lol.
it's better to rise than fade away.
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cardinalgirl »

Just for interest's sake, if you've seen the original screenplay for the Pilot Alex was supposed to be Native American. He's off talking about "the white man" every here and there... it's great.

Though, I'll admit that even when I read that, I picture Colin Hanks, and so it's a little silly in my head. :lol:
Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

Well, in the book series, they were completely different. Liz was hispanic, right? And Max was blonde. And Michael had black hair, if I'm remembering right.

Evelynn
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Post by girl afraid »

Evelynn wrote:Well, in the book series, they were completely different. Liz was hispanic, right? And Max was blonde. And Michael had black hair, if I'm remembering right.

Evelynn
Good point. I remember being so confused when I first saw Jason Behr on the screen, because I'd read a couple of the books before seeing the show. Michael still had the spiky hair but it was dark and he had grey eyes. Maria and Isabel also had blue eyes instead of hazel and brown and Alex was a red head with green eyes.

That said, when I re-read the books now, I can't help but imagine them as their TV show counterparts.
it's better to rise than fade away.
Evelynn
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Evelynn »

girl afraid wrote:
Evelynn wrote:Well, in the book series, they were completely different. Liz was hispanic, right? And Max was blonde. And Michael had black hair, if I'm remembering right.

Evelynn
Good point. I remember being so confused when I first saw Jason Behr on the screen, because I'd read a couple of the books before seeing the show. Michael still had the spiky hair but it was dark and he had grey eyes. Maria and Isabel also had blue eyes instead of hazel and brown and Alex was a red head with green eyes.

That said, when I re-read the books now, I can't help but imagine them as their TV show counterparts.

And let me just point out the obvious here that I just want to note ... there was no Tess and there was no baby in the books, lol. No, I like Emilie and never had anything against the baby, but I just did not like that storyline twist. :roll:

Evelynn