Songs in Fics

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Amelia
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Amelia »

It's me again. Now, to be completely truthful sometimes I do not read all of the song. I tend to get catch up in the moment and I can not wait to read the next part ...so I skip the song. However, if I do not already know the song I will go back to read it. :D
anonymousarfan
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by anonymousarfan »

cardinalgirl wrote:I usually read them, but I don't read a lot of fics that have lyrics stuck in the middle of parts, really. For the lyrics to actually be in the body of a part, I always feel like it needs to have a reason for being there, as in, it's a song the characters in the story are actually hearing/singing. For "mood-setter" lyrics, I'd much rather read them at the beginning of a part than in the actual body.
I agree. Sometimes, when I know the lyrics, I might skip them but most of the times I read them. In fact, if it's a song I don't know or one I haven't heard in a long time I download them to listen to the music for the first time (or again after a long time if I do know it)
Amelia
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Songs in Fics

Post by Amelia »

anonymousarfan wrote:In fact, if it's a song I don't know or one I haven't heard in a long time I download them to listen to the music for the first time (or again after a long time if I do know it)
If I don't know the song sometimes I will download it and then listen to it while I'm reading the fic
paper
Addicted Roswellian

Re:

Post by paper »

tequathisy wrote:I always skip them,
. . . they are usually superfluous.
This makes me sad.

I didn't start out to write a song fic, but as I started adding songs to each chapter, they became a basic part of the fic for me.

Music was a big part of each episode and I want to bring that to my fic.

Edit: Now that I think about it more, maybe the songs are really for me. As I put them in, they set the mood and reconfirm what I've written. I always work better when there is music involved. :mrgreen:

You may be right. I may be crazy.
But it just may be a lunatic you’re lookin’ for.
Turn out the light. Don’t try to change me.
You may be wrong for all I know but you may be right!

You May Be Right by Billy Joel
Last edited by paper on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kavar Khivar A Despot's work is never done.
CandyDreamQueen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by CandyDreamQueen »

I kind of skim them just to see if I know the song. Honestly, I always found song lyrics in fics kind of distracting unless it's the particular song that's playing. But even then I think all the author really needs to do is say that this is the song that's playing. I know it's a mood setter, but I can imagine the song playing without having to see the lyrics. One of my favorite authors, Sherrilyn Kenyon uses a lot of music in her books without actually writing out the lyrics to every song in the middle of the book, and it sets the mood just fine. But I have to admit, I have read some fics that have really good song usage in them too.

<<<Candice>>>
Michelle17
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Michelle17 »

Sometimes I do

Special thanks too

claudialynn