Common Grammatical Errors

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

RebeccaBehrEvans
Addicted Roswellian
Location: Like Heidi... in the green, but freaking cold mountain!!

Post by RebeccaBehrEvans »

and for some odd reason definitely/defiantly.
In some cases it can be just a problem with the automatic spell-checker... I know I have one and sometimes it does funny things like changing 'remarqued' with 'reargued'... it took me a while to figure out that since I wasn't writing 'remarqued' right (yep, in French it's with a QU and in English with a K and I didn't know it at first :roll: ), it changed it to what seemed the closest to that in its book... but then again, nothing stops you from rereading what you wrote and checking it again before posting. (though I have to say, I do that and I always find something else, and sometimes months later :roll: )
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Kzinti_Killer wrote:
petitchou wrote:Yet that's still no excuse for grammatical and spelling mistakes like its/it's, whose/who's, affect/effect, etc. That has nothing to do with dialogue.
Lets not forget except/accept, lead/led, really/rely, cloth/clothe, breath/breathe, and for some odd reason definitely/defiantly.
Well, there's no particular excuse for *us*, the writers, making those mistakes... (Though nobody's perfect!)

I can see a really funny self-referential moment, though, where Michael writes a note, and whoever gets it, (Maria,) comments on just how many spelling errors he managed to cram into two sentences. ;)
Read my other roswell stories!

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

petitchou
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by petitchou »

Kzinti_Killer wrote:
petitchou wrote:Yet that's still no excuse for grammatical and spelling mistakes like its/it's, whose/who's, affect/effect, etc. That has nothing to do with dialogue.
Lets not forget except/accept, lead/led, really/rely, cloth/clothe, breath/breathe, and for some odd reason definitely/defiantly.

I'm currently undertaking a salvage operation on a defunct fic site in another fandom while I wait for my beta to finish with my latest chapter. The two young ladies that wrote the fic in question were two of the best story tellers that I've ever seen in that fandom. However they seem to have a profound aversion to spell-checker, as well as a serious antipathy for "and, the, but, if, then, than", commas, semi-colons, and certain pronouns. They also have the habit of mixing tenses. *sigh* It's a time consuming pain to clean it all up, but I have a thing for preserving good stories. Even if the technical side of the writing leaves something to be desired.

My own best blooper to date comes from using spell-checker while half awake one morning. I'd run the words "her fear" together into "herfear". Spellchecker turned it into "heifer", which was then dutifully posted with the chapter. I didn't catch it until days later.

Rick
Heifer! That's a first! :D You are so right about the examples you gave. And how could I have forgotten breath/breathe? I've seen that mistake over and over. How hard is it to remember--one's a noun; the other a verb? Or lay/lie? I've seen the word "leant" several times also, as in "he leant back in bed." huh?

Good luck to you in working on the stories. You certainly have the necessary tools, but it doesn't make the work easier. It is sooooo painstaking. One of the things you mentioned that is quite hard to get across is tense. That is (and you understand this), a story is read over and over. Thus, the primary action remains in present tense. Of course you can use past tense, but you don't switch back and forth, esp. in the same sentence. The truth is, some people have a natural gift for POV, for stream of consciousness, for exposition, for descriptive writing. But others can certainly practice and get better. I suggest reading (of all people) Steve Martin's The Pleasure of My Company to understand tense in writing. For a classic, try one of Eudora Welty's short stories. Or why not grab an old copy of a 12th grade Harbrace or some other English textbook? You can find them for practically nothing in old book stores.

You mentioned something particularly frustrating to me. Spellcheck, in and of itself, can be limiting at times, because many words are simply left out and must be added. I wanted to check the spelling of misogynistic recently, and it was simply not in Word dictionary. Misogyny was, but not its adjective form. Cognates are not there; neither is much slang. But that's why you need good betas, of course.

There are some truly gifted writers of fan fiction, but they sometimes rely too much on the editing of others without giving the work so much as a cursory glance before posting another chapter--sometimes, admittedly, because fans are literally screaming for a new one. We certainly all make mistakes in writing; however, the hallmark of a good writer, to me, is one whose work gets progressively better and better.

When you mentioned conjunctions, I also remembered another common mistake in expository writing--not dialogue. When you use "not only," you must follow it with "but also." And only a very few people do that. Ex. Liz not only sacrificed her life with Max in the present, but she also gave up a future of happiness and fulfillment.

Anyway, enough rambling. GOOD LUCK!!!
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

petitchou wrote:Heifer! That's a first! You are so right about the examples you gave. And how could I have forgotten breath/breathe? I've seen that mistake over and over. How hard is it to remember--one's a noun; the other a verb? Or lay/lie? I've seen the word "leant" several times also, as in "he leant back in bed." huh?
People tend to write in the dialect of English that they're most familiar with. You seldom see the word "leant" used in the American dialect, though you do see knelt or dealt and a few others. But "leant" is often used in the UK to mean "leaned". Spellcheck is fine with both usages, regardless of dialect employed, but the word simply isn't in common enough use in the States not to stick out like a sore thumb when it *is* used. I shouldn't find it amusing, but I do, when an American character opens their mouth and the resulting dialogue comes out sounding British, and vice versa. Like the turn of phrase "sort it". I have never in my life heard an American use the phrase "Did you two sort it?" to mean "Did you two work out your differences?"

It's not wrong, but it is disconcerting.
You mentioned something particularly frustrating to me. Spellcheck, in and of itself, can be limiting at times, because many words are simply left out and must be added. I wanted to check the spelling of misogynistic recently, and it was simply not in Word dictionary. Misogyny was, but not its adjective form. Cognates are not there; neither is much slang. But that's why you need good betas, of course.
Spellcheck is a useful tool, but it can be a royal pain too. It seems to have certain positional blindspots. One I've noticed is its/it's. I no longer trust MS Word to get it right because there are times when it will try to swap out a correct usage for an incorrect one. Not every single time, but often enough to leave you with egg on your face if you aren't paying close attention.

Rick
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins
petitchou
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by petitchou »

Kzinti_Killer wrote:People tend to write in the dialect of English that they're most familiar with. You seldom see the word "leant" used in the American dialect, though you do see knelt or dealt and a few others. But "leant" is often used in the UK to mean "leaned". Spellcheck is fine with both usages, regardless of dialect employed, but the word simply isn't in common enough use in the States not to stick out like a sore thumb when it *is* used. I shouldn't find it amusing, but I do, when an American character opens their mouth and the resulting dialogue comes out sounding British, and vice versa. Like the turn of phrase "sort it". I have never in my life heard an American use the phrase "Did you two sort it?" to mean "Did you two work out your differences?"

You hit the nail on the head. Cultural differences affect dialogue tremendously and *do* stick out like a sore thumb. Should the many writers from the UK use their own terminology like "Mum," "in hospital," and "at university?" *Or* should they stick to unfamiliar American terminology? If it's a good story, it doesn't matter to me (and shouldn't); however, sometimes, I simply don't understand particular idiomatic phrases--my limitation, not the writer's.

For example, I read a line recently that threw me: "It was a bloody good that her mind worked the way it did" [Liz's logical, scientific mind]. I had to laugh, as I'd never heard that particular colloquialism before. The same is true in reverse, though. Remember in Blind Date, when Max said, "No flies on you, Kyle. . . ," and many people didn't understand that particular adage?
Kzinti_Killer wrote:Spellcheck is a useful tool, but it can be a royal pain too. It seems to have certain positional blindspots. One I've noticed is its/it's. I no longer trust MS Word to get it right because there are times when it will try to swap out a correct usage for an incorrect one. Not every single time, but often enough to leave you with egg on your face if you aren't paying close attention.
Rick
I agree completely about spellcheck. Thus, checking the work of even the best beta is crucial. I proofread my own work to death, because, as you pointed out so well, errors can be an unintentional casualty of limited word processors.
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

petitchou wrote:
Kzinti_Killer wrote:People tend to write in the dialect of English that they're most familiar with. You seldom see the word "leant" used in the American dialect, though you do see knelt or dealt and a few others. But "leant" is often used in the UK to mean "leaned". Spellcheck is fine with both usages, regardless of dialect employed, but the word simply isn't in common enough use in the States not to stick out like a sore thumb when it *is* used. I shouldn't find it amusing, but I do, when an American character opens their mouth and the resulting dialogue comes out sounding British, and vice versa. Like the turn of phrase "sort it". I have never in my life heard an American use the phrase "Did you two sort it?" to mean "Did you two work out your differences?"

You hit the nail on the head. Cultural differences affect dialogue tremendously and *do* stick out like a sore thumb. Should the many writers from the UK use their own terminology like "Mum," "in hospital," and "at university?" *Or* should they stick to unfamiliar American terminology? If it's a good story, it doesn't matter to me (and shouldn't); however, sometimes, I simply don't understand particular idiomatic phrases--my limitation, not the writer's.

For example, I read a line recently that threw me: "It was a bloody good that her mind worked the way it did" [Liz's logical, scientific mind]. I had to laugh, as I'd never heard that particular colloquialism before. The same is true in reverse, though. Remember in Blind Date, when Max said, "No flies on you, Kyle. . . ," and many people didn't understand that particular adage?
I've always felt that if the characters in the story are American, they should sound/speak American, no matter whether the writer is from the US or not and vice versa (e.g. for British characters). But I understand that it is difficult if you're not familiar with local phrases and lanugage differences.

Having said that, we get so much American TV in Britain that I think it is easier for us to 'write American' because we're exposed to the language on a daily basis. For example, although I'd never heard the phrase 'No flies on you' before Roswell, I still got the gist of what it meant. Although, I think that the sentence "It was a bloody good that her mind worked the way it did." should probably read "It was a bloody good thing that her mind worked the way it did." in order to make sense - I guess the author just missed out a word by accident.

I guess that I personally have an advantage when writing American characters in that I've spent 18 months of my life in the states and even occasionally slip in the odd American phrase when I'm talking (apparently my accent also changes slightly when I'm talking to Americans - according to one of my friends!). I keep adding phrases like 'Sure', 'I guess', 'gotten' and 'right now' to my vocabulary!

One thing I can't do though, is use the US spellings of words instead of the UK - it just seems wrong to spell the words differently to how I've been taught!
petitchou
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by petitchou »

Heavenli24 wrote: I've always felt that if the characters in the story are American, they should sound/speak American, no matter whether the writer is from the US or not and vice versa (e.g. for British characters). But I understand that it is difficult if you're not familiar with local phrases and lanugage differences.

Having said that, we get so much American TV in Britain that I think it is easier for us to 'write American' because we're exposed to the language on a daily basis. For example, although I'd never heard the phrase 'No flies on you' before Roswell, I still got the gist of what it meant. Although, I think that the sentence "It was a bloody good that her mind worked the way it did." should probably read "It was a bloody good thing that her mind worked the way it did." in order to make sense - I guess the author just missed out a word by accident.

I guess that I personally have an advantage when writing American characters in that I've spent 18 months of my life in the states and even occasionally slip in the odd American phrase when I'm talking (apparently my accent also changes slightly when I'm talking to Americans - according to one of my friends!). I keep adding phrases like 'Sure', 'I guess', 'gotten' and 'right now' to my vocabulary!

One thing I can't do though, is use the US spellings of words instead of the UK - it just seems wrong to spell the words differently to how I've been taught!
It's funny--many Americans didn't get the expression "no flies on you, . . . " either. Sometimes it depends on the extent of your vocabulary, the amount of reading you've done, and, just generally, expressions you've picked up. I understand about the differences in US vs UK spelling: "catalogue" instead of catalog; "cheque" vs. check; "licence" vs. license; "draught" vs. draft; adding two Ls rather than one to certain verbs, etc. After all, our colonial heritage dictated *our* spelling of the same words for quite a few centuries! :) I've spent time in the UK as well, though not nearly as long as you've spent in the US. I also used to teach Foreign Language, as well as English, and learned many of the differences, as well as similarities, in Latin-based languages.

Thanks for explaining the "bloody good" expression. It certainly sounded as though a noun might be missing! Where did you spend most of your time in the US? Or did you travel around?
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

petitchou wrote:It's funny--many Americans didn't get the expression "no flies on you, . . . " either. Sometimes it depends on the extent of your vocabulary, the amount of reading you've done, and, just generally, expressions you've picked up.
Just checking in as a Canadian... not sure if I've ever heard someone use the expression 'no flies on you' in actual conversation like that... but I was immediately familiar with the phrase from the old campfire song 'ain't no flies on us' :)
Read my other roswell stories!

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

petitchou wrote: Thanks for explaining the "bloody good" expression. It certainly sounded as though a noun might be missing! Where did you spend most of your time in the US? Or did you travel around?
I have relatives in Arkansas, so over the last 10 years, I've spent a total of about six months there (and I'm going back this summer for 2 weeks, along with a week in Canada).

Also, I did an extra year at university (4 years instead of 3) and spent my third year studying at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, during which time I got to travel around quite a bit - I've now visited/passed through 18 US states.
Tinkerbell_Luvs_Roswell
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Tinkerbell_Luvs_Roswell »

I was always taught to use a comma before using any coordinating conjuctions:

Coordinating Conjunctions: But, yet, nor, or, and, for, so

Ex: The game ended two hours ago, but Liz refused to leave before seeing Max.

An easy acronym: to remember is FANBOYS

I also was taught not to use a comma before or after subordinating conjunctions, but use a comma if you start your sentence with a subordinate clause. You would place the comma before the main clause.

Ex: While I ate dinner, Max studied his homework.

Subordinating Conjuctions: When, as, as long as, as soon as, before, after, by the time, once, since, whenever, until, because, now that, although, even if, despite, so that, unless, whose, wherever, even though, in spite of, who, whatever, where, while, if, whereas, whom, in case, whether, provided.

If I have trouble with whether, or not to use a comma I normally go to this website to help me: http://198.85.71.81/english/commaguidelines.html