Common Grammatical Errors

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

vilandragirl
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Common Grammatical Errors

Post by vilandragirl »

tequathisy wrote:Ten words you need to stop misspelling.

They should put this poster in every class room in every school.
Just wanted to let you know that I posted this on my Facebook since I liked it so much, and I got an unbelievable response on it. Thanks for sharing.
jbangelo
Administrator

Post by jbangelo »

Just stumbled across this informative little grammar article on Yahoo! 24 Things You Might Be Saying Wrong. Some very helpful tips.
“You know you’re right for someone when they force you to be the best version of yourself.”

OrangeSky
Addicted Roswellian

Post by OrangeSky »

Interesting, but the article does have something wrong: the plural of cul-de-sac is culs-de-sac.
Alli
Dean: Damn cops.
Sam: They were just doing their job.
Dean: No, they were doing our job, only they don't know it so they suck at it.
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by nibbles2 »

The could care less one kills me every time I hear/read it. It's a real American thing, I've never heard an Irish/Brit/Aussie say could care less.
Rowedog
Forum Moderator

Post by Rowedog »

nibbles2 wrote:The could care less one kills me every time I hear/read it. It's a real American thing, I've never heard an Irish/Brit/Aussie say could care less.
Oh me too! It seriously irks me to the point of violence. :x
Alison’s Fics

Round 13 Funniest Feedbacker
Round 14 Feedbacker You Follow Around The Board (Stalkers!!)
Round 14 Most Thought Provoking Feedbacker
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDude »

Here is something I learned a few days ago that blew my f**king mind.

They saying is actually "You've got another think coming." not "You've got another thing coming."

The funny thing is that I've actually written "think" and changed it to "thing" thinking I'd made a typo.

~Chad~
Rowedog
Forum Moderator

Post by Rowedog »

RosDude wrote:Here is something I learned a few days ago that blew my f**king mind.

They saying is actually "You've got another think coming." not "You've got another thing coming."

The funny thing is that I've actually written "think" and changed it to "thing" thinking I'd made a typo.

~Chad~
Originally yeah, but it's been adapted and the 'thing' version of that saying is now just as acceptable.
One's a way of telling someone that what they're thinking is wrong, while the other is a looming, menacing threat in which you're ingorant of what punishment awaits you.

Eg. "If you think that black crows are white, then you have another think coming!"
and
"If you think you're going to change the channel on the TV while I'm watching it, then you've got another thing coming!"

They're both used in different contexts, but both make sense.

Having said that, I like the 'thing' version better and I (personally) think that the 'think' version sounds stupid. It completely grates me when I hear someone use the 'think' version. I don't know why. It just does. :|
Alison’s Fics

RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDude »

Rowedog wrote:
Having said that, I like the 'thing' version better and I (personally) think that the 'think' version sounds stupid. It completely grates me when I hear someone use the 'think' version. I don't know why. It just does. :|
Yeah I think it sounds stupid too. And if we're being grammatically correct, shouldn't it be "You've got another thought coming."
Rowedog
Forum Moderator

Post by Rowedog »

RosDude wrote:
Rowedog wrote:
Yeah I think it sounds stupid too. And if we're being grammatically correct, shouldn't it be "You've got another thought coming."
Technically, you can have a think, so it's not actually wrong. But you're right, thought does sound better if you had to use one of the two. And another thing, if you remove the word think from the first part of the sentence and replace it with something else, eg. "If you believe that cows drink milk, you've got another think coming," it doesn't make any sense and sounds even worse. But, if you did that with 'thing' it still sounds correct and makes sense. Just another reason why 'you've got another thing coming' is the superior phrase :wink:
Alison’s Fics

behrlyliz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrlyliz »

I am probably the most grammatically inept person on this board, so who am I to complain, right? So it’s a laugh that I would even have something to say, but I do. It irks me to no end when plagiarism, plagiarize or plagiarist are misspelled. Every time I see them spelled as plagarism, plagarize, or plagarist, I want to throw things. I have no idea why it irks me so much, but it just does.
Team Framing Hanley
My Fics~My Challenges~My Space