4 Step (UC, Mi/L, Oneshot, Yteen)

All finished stories from the Unconventional Couples board, the Crossover board, and the Alien Abyss boards will eventually be moved here. See those forums for descriptions.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

bip
Enthusiastic Roswellian

4 Step (UC, Mi/L, Oneshot, Yteen)

Post by bip »

Story Title: 4 Step
Spoilers: None
Rating: YTeen
Spoilers: None
Pairing(s): Michael/Liz
Summary: "He's standing right in front of you; an expectant look on his face."
Warnings: I have ADHD. Really, none.
Disclaimer: I am making absolutely no profit writing this. In fact, I'm losing something.. my sanity. Also contains a line from Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. Also not mine.
AN: Losely based on Imogen Heap's "The Walk." Also, it's been months, months, months since I have watched Roswell. Sorry about that.
AN2 (Another one?): Okay. This is only my second fanfiction (and first Roswell fanfiction. Ever. Just to clear that up.

xxx

Breathe in, breathe out. Slow and steady keeps you conscious. Slow and steady wins the race.

He’s standing right in front of you; an expectant look on his face. He’s waiting for something. What is he waiting for? The next move. The next move to this dance the two of you have been performing the past few months.

He’d step forward. You’d push him back. Back on his side of the line.

Now he’s taken another step forward. Your turn to push him back. But for some reason you don’t. You know you should but you don’t.

You can’t afford things to get complicated. You can’t afford complication. And that’s exactly what this is.

“One and one and one and one does not make four.”

But one and one makes two. Simple math. But you somehow find a way to ignore it. Surprising, math has always been your strong point.

He’s still standing there. In front of you. His eyes are boring into you and you swear you feel your insides start to heat up.

There’s a smile on his face. You’d almost think it were cute, if you didn’t know it was only plastered there to mock you. For a second you feel indignant.

But the gleam in his eyes counteracts the artificial smile. Oh, he’s enjoying this. He’s enjoying making you squirm.

And he’s waiting. He’s waiting for you to push him away. He’s daring you to push him away. But you don’t. It could be that you’re simply too tired to play this game. To dance this dance. Or it could be that you don’t actually want to push him away this time.

You have to admit it. He’s gotten under your skin. No matter how hard you tried to ignore it, ignore him, ignore this, it’s just impossible.

The repercussions are silently blaring in the back of your mind. This is insane. But you can’t push him away.

Breathe in, breathe out.

You ignore the alarms. You take control of the reins this time. You want this. No matter how hard you want to deny it.

One foot in front of the other. One step and one step and one step and one step makes four steps, puts you right under his nose.

You take a deep breath. Bracing yourself, before you plunge head first into this. Your downfall? Your demise? Or your resurrection? Your new beginning? It’s time to take back your life.

A small smile creeps onto your face and you’re looking right up at him. Mocking his mocking smile. You’re not pushing him away. You’re not going to push him away.

xxx
"'Hero' isn't the right word, but it's the first word that comes to mind."
-Chuck Palahnuik "Choke"