Miles to Go Before I Sleep(CC/UC, Mature) Completed 09/13/07

All finished stories from the Unconventional Couples board, the Crossover board, and the Alien Abyss boards will eventually be moved here. See those forums for descriptions.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

M&M<3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Miles to Go Before I Sleep(CC/UC, Mature) Completed 09/13/07

Post by M&M<3 »

Banner by Duccia

Title: Miles to Go Before I Sleep
Rating: Mature
Category: A/U, some U/C but mostly/eventually C/C
Disclaimer: The characters of "Roswell" belong to Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, WB, and UPN. They are not mine and no infringement is intended. "Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening" & "Ice and Fire" were written by Robert Frost.

Summery: What if Tess never killed Alex, what if someone stopped her before she had a chance to mindwrap him? Could a glance of her future save Tess's life? or Alex's? Can you really change the past and rewrite the future?

**Note: Alex actually went to Sweden for six months from January first till August first. He missed out on everything in between. Max and Tess still slept together but no baby and are now tip toeing around destiny. Liz found it easier to get over Max when she was with Sean so they are a sorta couple and Michael and Maria still have their I love you I hate you relationship. There is still a huge rift between Max and Liz, they love each other but after Liz pushes Max away and he sleeps with Tess they believe there’s no way it can work and turn to other people.
Departure doesn’t happen, Liz goes away for the summer to Florida to spend time with her aunt and doesn’t get back till the end of August, Tess and Max get closer realizing maybe destiny was right.**

*EDITED 06/18/07*

Prolouge
Roswell April 27 2028 – Pod Chambers

“Serena you can’t do this! You can’t change the past to improve the future! Max tried it and it didn’t change a damn thing.” Kyle stood in the Pod Chamber that had long ago become the group’s main headquarters. Serena was across from him staring at the timer, three minutes till go time.

She signed and looked towards him, her eyes the same dark browns as Isabel’s had once been, were filled with determination and anger. “Kyle, I have to. My family was destroyed that day, everyones life was. I have to change it.”

“If you do this, you might never be born! Do you understand what that means?!” Kyle tried to keep his voice calm as Serena took off her old army jacket, preparing herself for the journey that was in front of her.

“Yes Kyle I’ve thought about it, I’ve thought about everything! Did you think about it? Did it ever occur to you that maybe just maybe he wasn’t supposed to die?! That this is the wrong universe?”

Kyle signed, knowing as much as she looked like Isabel she had more of her father in her and once her mind was set on doing something, it was going to happen no matter what anyone said or did to try and stop her. “Quoting the great Buddha, ‘Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.’” He hands were together and in front of him as he tried to hide his frustration.

Serena let a laugh escape from her mouth, then looked at Kyle and held it back. “All of them held on to the past! Even you Buddha boy, you don't think I feel the pain you carry around? " Kyle's face grew long and looked at the ground unable to object to the accusation she threw at him. She signed taking a step toward the granolith and putting her hand up to the glowing crystal. “I just.. I know I can change it, stop her before she has a chance to destroy him... And things will change maybe you'll actually be happy... God’s knows you all deserve that… Maybe the future wasn’t suppose to be like this..”

Within a second Serena was inside the granolith and looking out at Kyle. “You’re making a mistake Serena! You might end up doing more damage than good!” He was screaming at the top of his lungs, but to her it sounded like a whisper. He stared up at her and put his hand against the outside of the granolith. "I have you, I am happy..."

“I have to try.” She closed her eyes and put her hand up the side of the chamber she found herself in. “Always and forever."

TBC
Last edited by M&M<3 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Kyle : Great. So Michael's the boss-man? Think he'll offer a benefits plan? ...I for one am panicking here. I love the guy, but I don't want to be a member of any club where he's the leader.
vilandragirl
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by vilandragirl »

Great start! I can't wait to see what happens next.
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cardinalgirl »

Interesting premise... you've got me curious, alright.

And as a point of interest, I've used that same Buddha quote in one of my stories. :lol:
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Really disquieting start! We all know what using the granolith did!....

EVE :lol: :wink: :roll:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
M&M<3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by M&M<3 »

Thanks for all the feed back guys, there were a few questions and I tried to answer the question of who Serena's father is in this post, its not right out there but I promise it will be in my next post!!!

Chapter One
Roswell August 31 2001

When the blinding light had ceased Serena looked around at a Roswell she could never have remembered. She was on Connors Street, standing a few blocks down from the house she pulled off an image grinded into her memory. She took an elastic off her wrist pulling her long blonde curls off her shoulders, and thought back to the stories she’d heard so long again. The details of a life lived and ruined all before she was even thought of; even so she remember every detail she was ever told. In anticipation she kneeled in the bushes across the street from the house and waited, within minutes the two teen girls were closing the front door behind them.

Immediately she recognized the woman her mother had become so close with the last few years of her life; Liz Deluca. The Liz she knew looked different from her younger self; her hair was longer and her face wasn’t hardened from years of battle. She stared at the other girl with Liz, trying to figure out who she could have been. She froze and her muscles tighten when Kyle’s voice arose in her head.

Your father.. he loved her very much. Everyone thought they were going to be together forever. Unit the war began and ah.. and everything changed.

Serena remembered the sadness that filled Kyle’s eyes as he read “The I Know An Alien Club” stories from his memories. He never told about the day the war began or what happened up till her birth no matter how much she would beg and plead with him. Finally as she began to grow older she read the Book of History (stolen from the Pod Squad’s headquarters) she began to understand it all; well the war and destiny.

When Serena managed to shake herself out of past the girls were gone. She look a deep breath and started to walk toward the house. “Time to change the future.” She whispered to herself, groping for strength to do what had to be done.

Maria and Liz sat on Alex’s bed with his laptop flipping through pictures from Sweden, as Alex read a book at his desk. “Alex you took so many pictures of well everything, hey is this the airport?”

He didn’t have to look up from the page to know which one Liz was talking about, “Uh ya I.. uh”

Maria pushed her face into the screen, “wait, this is the Roswell airport!” Liz and Maria looked up at him waiting for a response.

Alex turned around to see their faces and laughed, “I took it so I would remember what it looked like while I was away.” Both girls started to laugh and shake their heads.

“Shit, Liz we’re going to be late for work.” They both got off the bed quickly and gathered their things.

“You’re going to stop by later and meet up with Isabel right?” Liz asked as she started to walk toward the door.

“What’s going on with the two of you anyways? You two have been joined at the hip since you got back!” Maria stopped at the doorway, to wait for his response but only saw his lips form that sly smile of his. She shook her head with a smile and followed Liz to the front door, “I want details later.” Before he could respond he heard the door slam shut behind them.

Alex laughed and turned his attention back to the book he was reading, Complete Work of Robert Frost. His fingers flipped thru the pages quickly, stopping at page nineteen. He pulled the book closer to his face and read the poem in his head.

"Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sounds the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

As Alex finished reading a shudder ran under his skin. He read the poem out loud once more, before book marking the page. “The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.” He repeated the last verse of the poem to himself a couple times before he pulled his attention back to his laptop. “Come on Whitmore, keep it together.”

Ding Dong

Alex splashed on a goofy grin and hurried toward the front door, hoping Isabel had decided she couldn’t wait till seven to meet him at the Crashdown. “I knew you couldn’t…” He stopped in mid sentence when he realized the girl looking back at him wasn’t Isabel. “I’m sorry, I thought you were someone else.” The smile had faded from his face, as he got a chance to look at her. The girl looked so familiar.

“Who did you think I was?” She looked around as she waited for him to answer.

“Umm.. Just a friend.” Alex felt a shivers crawling up his arms, he tried to think where he knew her from. “So what can I do for you?”

“I’m not here about what you can do for me Alex. I’m here because there’s something I have to do for you.”

Alex let out a little laugh but stopped. “Ok and what’s that?”

She shrugged her shoulders and put on a forced smile, “Give you a chance to live.”

TBC...

Kyle : Great. So Michael's the boss-man? Think he'll offer a benefits plan? ...I for one am panicking here. I love the guy, but I don't want to be a member of any club where he's the leader.
M&M<3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by M&M<3 »

begonia9508, Chrissie1218, Sternbetrachter, cardinalgirl, begonia9508, vilandragirl: Thanks for the feedback everyone, I love reading what people think is going to happen!

Special thanks to xmag, I don't know what I would do without you!

**EDITED 06/19/07**

Chapter Two

“Ok haha I think its time for you to leave.” Alex moved back from the doorway, pushing the door closed as Serena took a step inside putting herself between Alex and the door. He looked into her eyes, as a shiver crawled across his chest; something about her eyes was so familiar and heartbreaking at the same time.

“Please I’m not crazy, just let me come in and I’ll explain everything.”

“Look I think you should just go. I get it, this is some kind of joke, a dare whatever but I want you to leave.” Alex waited for her move when she didn’t tried a new tactic, “Ok stay here then but then I’m going to call the cops.” Serena signed and took a step back on to the steps. “Thank you,” Alex closed the door and locked the bolt. She waited till his footsteps faded away before she put her hand up to the lock and kept it there till she felt the bolt pull back and the orange glow had subsided from her hand. She took a quick look around the streets before opening the door and stepping into the house.

“Looks like its going to be one of those days.” He walked back to his room and grabbed the book off his desk before jumping onto the bed. Now where was I…oh yes Ice and Fire…

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

He heard a sound coming from the hallway and looked up in time to see Serena standing in his doorway. “What the hell!!” he jumped up off the bed, “HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET IN HERE?!!”

“Don’t freak out, I unlocked the door. Alex you have to listen to me.”

Alex picked the phone up off the end table, “No I don’t I have to call the cops.” Before he had a chance to dial 911 Serena’s hand was out in front of her and the phone went flying out of his hand hitting the wall before crashing onto the floor.

His jaw dropped and for a couple seconds he wasn’t able to say anything. “Oh God, you’re an alien.”

“Well more of a Hybrid, but alien works too.” Serena shrugged her shoulders with a laugh. Alex’s look of confusion make made her regret her words. “Sorry little alien humor, not that funny got it.”

He continued to stare at her unable to believe what was going on in front of him. “What are you here to kill me or kidnap me or hold me hostage or make me lead you to the rest of your kind?” His voice was unsteady as well as the rest of him.

Serena shook her head furiously, “No! I told you, I’m here to help you live.” She wasn’t sure he was convinced yet, so she took a deep breath and continued. “I—I uh I’m here because my present isn’t the way things are suppose to happen. Your not suppose to die and because you do alot of innocent people die and everyone who knew you, they end up miserable and unhappy..” She looked down at her feet trying to conjure the courage to repeat her well rehearsed speech, “.. and with people they don’t love.”

Alex took a seat on the bed trying to take everything in, “Ok so in a couple days I.. I die?”

“Three, more or less.”

“Three. I have three days?” Alex took deep breath. “Oh God.”

“No you don’t have three days before you die Alex, WE have three days to make sure you live.” She moved toward him taking a seat beside him on the bed.

Alex’s mind was spinning with questions and conclusions. “Wait if I die in three days, how do you know anything about me?” He was staring into her eyes still trying to figure out why her eyes make his heartbreak into pieces.

“Kyle.”

“Valenti. Ok ok so I’m supposed to die in three days and we’re going to change it.” Alex thought for a second then looked back at Serena, “So how do I die?”

“Lets not worry about that right now.” He nodded his head in response, his face was had no color to it and Serena knew she’d told him too much too fast. “I’m sorry to drop all this on you; I know it must be hard. But if we do this right my present won’t be the future that comes, and you’ll have a future.”

“Ok so what do we do?”

Before Serena could answer, then was a knock on the door, they looked up to see Isabel standing in front of them. “Hey Izzy, I thought we were getting together later at the Crash?” Alex got up and kissed Isabel on the cheek.

Serena automatically recognized her and almost couldn’t believe this girl standing in front of her could ever have been the mother she had known. There were no circles under eyes, her hair wasn’t pulled back out of her face in tangles and the smile that Serena rarely got to see growing up looked as if it was a permanent feature on her mothers face.

“I know but I thought we could get together earlier, is that ok?” She spoke to Alex but her eyes were on Serena. She took a step towards the bed and stuck her hand out to the unfamiliar girl, “Hi I’m Isabel Evans and you are?”

“Serena, Serena Gue.. Whitman. Serena Whitman.” Serena shook herself out the daze and took her hand, waiting with excitement to see how she felt. Surge of jealousy and confusion ran thru her before it was replaced with calmness.

"So are you like Alex's cousin or something?" Isabel fished for information, not worrying about being obvious.

"Ya I'm Alex's cousin from...Canada. I'm down here visiting for a couple of days before school starts." Serena took a deep breath in hoping her mother's younger self would believe what she was hearing. "I'm glad I finally got to meet the famous Isabel Alex is always going on about!"

Isabel began to blush, "I'm glad to meet you too, although Alex has never mentioned you."

ALex shoot a quick glace at Serena then cut in, "well you know how it is Iz, we never really talk about family much. But I don't think we can get together today maybe tomorrow."

Isabel's smile faded away and a hurt expression come onto her face, "Well why don't the three of us go to the Crashdown and have dinner with everyone?"

"I think thats a great idea!" Serena piped in before Alex had a chance to turn her down again.

"Are you sure?" Alex looked at her with wide eyes, as if she was crazy.

"Ya I'd love to meet your friends you talk so much about."

"Great its settled, lets head down there now." Isabel walked out of the room and towards the front door, with Alex and Serena following close behind her.

TBC...
Last edited by M&M<3 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

M&M<3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by M&M<3 »

THANKS to everyone! I love reading your feedback while I'm working on my next piece. I would have chapter three up but my interenet was down for a week or so. But the good news is its written the bad news is I still have to type it up and tweak it. So I'm hoping by Wednesday morning or Friday morning the longest!

M&M<3

M&M<3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by M&M<3 »

As I promised Chapter three is now up. And I hope in a week I'll have chapter four I know I know I ended at the best part, but I promise the best part is yet to come!

Chapter Three

“One Grilled Mooncheese Sandwich with Orbit Rings; one Sigourney Weaver Kick-Alien Burger and one Will Smith Innocent Bystander Burger. And of course two cherry cokes and one ice tea.” Maria put the plates in front of Max, Tess and Kyle, “kitchen’s closing guys, anything else before than?”

Max took a quick look around the table and came up with three empty Tabasco containers, “How about..”

Before he could finish his sentence Maria took a couple bottles of Tabasco out of her apron and put them on the table, “C’mon who do you think I am?” He smiled and proceeded to dump almost half of a bottle into his drink and the rest on to his sandwich and onion rings; Tess imitating him with the second bottle.

“Have I ever mentioned how disgusting that is?” Kyle was shaking his head trying to regain his appetite.

Maria walked towards the small window between the kitchen and front counter, standing on her the balls of her feet she peered in and into the back. Michael was standing over the counter and with a wave of his hand the dirty dishes on the counter were returned to the cabinet above the grill. “Hey Space Boy, we gotta talk.”

Michael turned and walked toward the window, “why is it every time you say that, I’m always in trouble?”

“You’re not in trouble this time, its Liz. I gotta break our plans tonight.” Michael groaned and Maria unleashed the famous DeLuca hurricane, her voice gaining speed with every word. “Michael she’s suppose to go out with Sean tonight! And no I’m not kidding! She’s vulnerable right now after what happened with Max, and I’ve been spending all my time with you. Damn it Michael she needs me right now!”

Michael rolled his eyes, “did she actually ask you to get her out of this date?”

“No—not in so many words but I know what she meant.”

“K, whatever just means I’ll get to watch the game tonight.” Michael turned around and started cleaning the grill. Maria stared daggers into his back before turning away and back to the counters that needed to be washed down. She looked up in time to see Sean walk thru the doors followed by Isabel and Alex.

“Can you not read the closed sign?” Maria put her hands on her hips causing the antennas on her head to bounce left to right.

“Aren’t you just the bundle of joy tonight?” Sean took a seat at the counter and smiled at his cousin.

“Aren’t you just the criminal tonight?” Maria was so distracted with Sean she didn’t notice Isabel, Alex and Serena walk over to the table with the rest of the gang. Isabel shoved Tess over and took and seat beside her leaving enough room for Alex to squeeze in.

Isabel looked at Kyle and Max then toward Serena, “Serena this is Max, Tess and Kyle. Guys this is Serena, Alex’s cousin.”

“Hey,” Kyle reached out his hand and Serena met it with her own. How she would have killed to be back home at that moment, with Kyle, both of them just trying to stay out of the line of fire. She knew when she made the decision to do this she would miss him but she didn’t anticipate the loneliness of seeing him here but not getting the chance to say all the things she wanted to.

“Hi.”

“So Serena where you from?” Max couldn’t help but stare at the girl; there’s was something about her that made him feel like he knew her.

“Uh.. Canada.”

“How long you here for?” Tess put a smile across her lips and looked up at Serena, who was still standing.

“A night or two if everything works out.” She grabbed a chair from the table next to them and sat down. Before anyone had a chance to finish the enquiry into the unknown girl; Michael came out from the back forcing himself off to one side trying not to get in the way of Maria who was storming off to where he had just come from. He shot a look at the counter where Sean was waiting patiently for Liz as he pushed Max and Kyle down to the end of the booth. He reached over and grabbed an onion ring off Max’s plate and popped it in his mouth. A disgusted look came over his face.

“No dude, pass the Tabasco.”

Serena knew who he was; she felt it inside her bones. She could never have picture her father that young it felt unreal, and sitting beside without being able to wrap her arms around him and never let him go was tearing her apart. It had been four years since the last time she had seen him, pulling his armor over his chest, trying not to see her cry…

”Serena, it’ll be ok. I’ll be back in a few days, after the fields are clear. We only need to drive the Skin’s back a couple miles to be safe from an attack.” Michael stood in front of a mirror, the metal from his shield reflecting off the glass; that disappeared as he pulled the old army jacket over top.

Serena sat on the bed behind him, her hands tucked underneath her, her eyes focused on his back, praying he’d change his mind and not leave her again. She sniffled trying to hide her tears from him as he turned around to see her. He kneed and put his hands onto her shoulders so he look into her eyes as he spoke; hoping maybe if he could convince her he was going to be alright then he might be able to convince himself.

The moment he touched her she felt him; his regret, his hope that things would be ok, the fear that he wasn’t coming back. In that moment she couldn’t contain herself, she grabbed on to Michael’s neck tightly and pulled him into her as her tears fall onto his shoulders. The metal the covered his chest was digging into neck but she didn’t care. If there was anything that would make him stay she would have done it...

“Um Serena?” She jerked and looked up at Alex. “You ok?”

“Ya sorry that whole time change thing you know I’m kinda out of it.” She readjusted her chair, avoiding Michael’s stare.

“Serena this is Michael, Michael this is Serena Alex’s cousin.” Michael didn’t bother to look at her or say anything.

“Maria don’t worry I’ll be fine and thanks for asking but no I’m not delusional.” Maria and Liz were coming out from the back of the restaurant out of their alien uniforms.

“How about a girls night out?” Maria jumped in front of Liz, “At your place?”

“No.” They both pulled chairs up to the booth beside the gang. “Hey guys. It has to be an early night, I have a date in about half hour.” She looked at everyone’s faces before she got to Serena. “Sorry, I’m Liz.. who are you?”

“Serena, Alex’s cousin.” She could have died hearing Liz sound like her old self again, but her attention was somewhere else; with the blonde she’d seen earlier with Liz. She stared at the girl that once had her father’s heart. She felt it was her; the way she sat, the way she talked; it was like touching her father and retrieving his most painful memories all over again. She was a lot pretty than Serena thought she’d be; for some reason she had always prayed the woman Michael saved his dreams for wouldn’t be the girl she had seen in his mind so many times.

“Maria…” Liz couldn’t let her eyes off Serena.

“Liz tell me your changing your mind about going out with the DC??” Maria was almost beaming with excitement at the thought.

Everyone looked are Maria in confusion. “Delinquent cousin.” Michael shoved the last onion ring in his mouth and looked up at everyone. “DC. Delinquent cousin.”

“Oh I get it.” Kyle laughed.

Liz looked at Max, his amber eyes giving away the hurt he felt inside. She glared over at Maria, “first of all no, I’m keeping my date thanks. Second, have you met Serena Alex’s cousin?” Her eyes got large as she said Serena’s name.

“No I haven’t, hi I’m Maria,” she leaned over shaking Serena’s hand without a second thought. That’s all it took for Serena to pull a memory from her mind…

She can feel his stomach moving as he breaths in and out, she looks up to watch him sleep his face no longer trying not to keep her out. Warm and welcoming, a different side to him that she had never seen before this night. She realizes he’s her father. But she isn’t Serena, she’s Maria now. She pulls him closer to her and puts her head back on her stomach closing her eyes wishing this night could last forever. The ache in her heart is starting to calm and peace floats over her before regret starts to over come her, how could she ever think she could live without him. He is her…

“Hi.” Serena felt as if her stomach was jumping into her throat, how could her father love another woman that much and have nothing left for her mother? She couldn’t sit still any longer she started to get up and looked around the table. “I’m glad I got a chance to meet all of you but I’m exhausted. I think I should make it back to your place.” Serena planted her hands on the table to keep herself from toppling over from the nausea that was steadily getting worse.

Alex started to get up after her, “I’ll come with you.”

She shook her head, “no really its ok. I know the way, plus you made plans with Isabel before you knew I was coming.” He was about to protest when she cut him off. “No really Alex its ok, go out with Isabel I’ll be at your place when you get back.”

Kyle nudged Max and Michael to move down, “why don’t I walk you there? Its on my way.” Kyle was standing up beside her by now, flashing that that big-brother-I’ll-protect-her smile at Alex.

Alex hesitated and looked at Isabel, settling the deal. “Ok ok. So I’ll see you at my place.”

TBC...

M&M<3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by M&M<3 »

Sorry I've been MIA for the last month or so. I've logged almost 500 hours at work and haven't had much time for about anything else which includes having any sorta life but I promise a new part soon, most of its already written and just needs to be typed. Thanks for the bumps guys!!!

M&M<3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by M&M<3 »

Okay guys this is chapter four. Its not that long but I hope you guys injoy!!!

Chapter Four

Serena was almost afraid to look at Kyle. He looked so young yet so much like the man that had been her protector since before she could remember. She shuffled her feet unable to say anything without giving his future away, or who she was.

“So are you always this talkative or is it just the company?” She looked towards him, and as she expected Kyle was looking at her that playboy smile spread across his face and she was a child again left in his care. She smiled trying to convince herself that if everything went as planned she wouldn’t be that child, she wouldn’t be here now and their lives the destiny of earth would all be different. None of the events leading up to her birth or the people she outlived would have happened creating a chance for earth to survive.

“Sorry its not you, I just have a lot on my mind right now.” Serena sat down on the bench looking out towards the playground. Kyle followed behind her.

“Homesick?”

“More than you could understand.” She snapped the bracelet on her wrist and stared at Kyle’s hand beside her. It would only be two easy to pluck at his memories, the ones that are most thought about at this time in his life. Slowly her hand crept away from her wrist and towards his, her breath short and shallow hoping his attention was distracted with the darkness around them at least for a moment.

She was sitting beside Tess, watching the football game. It was the BIG game, the 49er’s vs. the Texans the playoff’s ’01. The game she had been waiting for all year and all she could do was watch Tess. She was lost in her eyes, they commanded the attention of her very being and once Serena broke down, giving in it felt as if she was lost forever in the ocean. It hit her in that moment and she wasn’t sure how she could have seen this girl in front of her as anything else. She loved her, her heart could never belong to anyone else…

“What are you staring at Kyle?” She was shaken out her trance by Tess giving her that creeper look. She turned her attention back to the game picking the football off the table and throwing it into the air.

“The game, of course. Go 49ers.”

Serena pulled her hand off Kyle’s and looked towards her feet again, unable to speak for the minute thinking of the betrayal she’d just committed.

Kyle stared out into the empty playground and thought back to when his mom had first left, remembering how much he missed her. If anyone had to know what it was like to feel homesick it would be him. After that night it never really felt like home with just him and his father. But they made it, they survived for years just the two of them. And if Tess hadn’t come and the whole aliens-among-us-club hadn’t been brought into their lives they would’ve been trying to pretend everything was still okay; like the first night without her. Kyle stopped and looked at Serena as her hand touched his then within minutes removed itself again. They sat in silence, her head hung in shame and him staring at her.

“Did you always love her?” Serena’s voice hit him like a sledge hammer in the darkness.

“Who?” His mind reeling back to the Crashdown trying to remember if he’d stolen a look at her.

“Tess.” She took a deep breath and looked up at him, “Did you always know you loved her or did it just occur to you one day that she was who you were meant to be with?”

He felt his body stiffen, “I don’t know what your talking about.” His jaw tightened as he watched her hoping she didn’t catch the defensiveness in his voice.

“You can’t lie to me Kyle, I saw the way you were looking at her.” Serena’s hand fumbled with the ring that hung around her neck.

Kyle just stared at her, Who is this girl?. “Okay what makes you think I love Tess?”

“Because in one moment alone with her you realized no matter who she is or what she could ever do you will love her and your heart could never belong to anyone else.”

Serena felt her heart pushing aside her lungs heading for her throat. She was telling Kyle everything, her future, his past, everything. She couldn’t decide if starting out with his loving Tess was the best idea but it the only thing she could think of to get him to trust her. That had been almost half an hour ago, he hadn’t said a word just stared at her; his face frozen with shock and fear.

“Sorry I outed you but if it makes you feel better she doesn’t know, not yet.”

“What do you mean not yet? Are you going to tell her?” His voice was shaky and the shock left his face letting fear take over.

“No I won’t tell her. I’d never do that to you. But she will find out eventually, they always do.”

Kyle took a deep breath in and looked around to see if anyone was around, his panic mode pushing itself from plain view. “How did you know?” He looked back at her, staring into his eyes and for the first time seeing something so familiar but unable to place it. “I mean how did you know I loved her and.. Ah.. That my heart could never belong to anyone else?”

Serena bit her lip scared he’d freak out when she showed him. Her gift was the story of her life, how she remembered those that had gone. She never let anyone see her memories, her feeling; it was too much for her sometimes to see the life of someone else and feel everything they felt in that moment how could anyone else deal with it? But this was different, it was Kyle and she needed the side that she knew and loved right now. The only way to do that was to prove who she is and in this moment, this time, this place the only way to do that was to show him. Everything. "Do you want the truth?"

Kyle nodded sceptically the panic creeping back to his face a little. "Okay but i can't explain it to you I have to show you." She took a deep breath and placed her hands on the side of his head and looked into his eyes letting go of all her fears and beckoning him into world...

TBC...