Bittersweet (DA,XO,UC,Mature) [Completed]

All finished stories from the Unconventional Couples board, the Crossover board, and the Alien Abyss boards will eventually be moved here. See those forums for descriptions.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

_liz
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Bittersweet (DA,XO,UC,Mature) [Completed]

Post by _liz »

Bittersweet

Author: _liz
email: nem_sis@interia.pl

Translator: Amara

category: x-tremer (Alec/Liz); crossover with Dark Angel

rating: Mature

disclaimer: Don't own the characters. But I would like to have my own Alec, hehe...

Summary: It's a shorts story. The first part is Liz's point of view. Her broken heart, her fear. Her world has collapsed. The second part (which is not translated yet) is Alec's narration, about the emptiness he feels inside and the strange feeling, when he observes someone...

I wanted to say 'thank you' to:
~ Amara, for translation and patience
~ Hotaru and Onarek for support in each, wicked moment of my 'story life'
~ and once again thanks Onarek for your banner

I crawl on the cold floor, I pull up my knees to my chest and embrace myself. There is so cold in the apartment. But I don’t have the strength to get up and put on the sweater. So I sit there half-naked, only a T-shirt is covering my body, and I wonder. How in earth I managed to ruin my life? How could I allowed to ruin my life? From the very beginning. First Max, later following events, on which I had no influence. I wanted to have, but I hadn’t. Unfortunately.

If I could, then I would turn back time long before this night three weeks ago. I would turn back the time to that September day and do anything to stop Max from saving me. It would be better for everyone if I had died. Then everything that had happened after that wouldn’t take place. There would be no fear or danger. No suffering because of me. I wouldn’t be cursed.

Alec would be here.

Yes. I guess this thought is the most painful. My body tremors, the yellowish substance drips to my stomach. That’s exhausting. I spent the last three days in the bathroom. I can’t stand up because everything in me twists. I can’t look at food, it makes me vomit. All I can think about is how door slammed. And then there is silence. And after that even longer silence. It lasted three days.

Till the day, when some brunette appeared in his apartment. I didn’t know her and frankly saying I didn’t want to know who she was. Her eyes were red from crying and she was shocked. As if she couldn’t believe that she sees me. And then she said what she was supposed to and promised to help me. I wonder how she wants to help me? My life can’t be normal again. It will be broken just like it was before.

It’s all my fault. First relationship with an alien, from who I ran away into love to another man, this time transgenic. How come I couldn’t fall in love with some boring, ordinary human and lead a normal life with him? Or why hadn’t I died that day. I would like to kill myself. Who knows, maybe I would do it if it wasn’t for this small obstacle. A tiny obstacle that grows everyday.

It is in me. It grows with every second. It develops with every second. In few weeks time my body will switch onto this little creature, that grows in me. Commonly known as baby. I call it madness. We had to be crazy to bring this innocent child into this world. Wait a minute ... nobody asked us for permission, or asked us if we want this. As usual malicious fate picked on us. On me. How will I, a lonely nineteen-year-old girl, deal with all of this?

All of this?

It began six months ago, when I met this hazel eyed know-all. Our paths crossed for good and now we’ve been living together for three months. I had to be a huge secret, because none of his friends knew about me. I’m not angry at him for this.... I know Alec. I knew him ... He would never admit to what was inside of him. He could show his affection, but he never brought his friends into this. His love was for me, and only me, and there was no need for world to know about it. That’s how I perceived his behaviour. But now it turned out that my existence was covered-up because of far more serious reasons.

He wasn’t secure. I knew he was hiding something. I didn’t ask because I trusted him. But when the things started getting serious, he began to lose control. From unknown reasons I couldn’t go outside, he used to look from the windows in the night, he was at home earlier than usually. I felt like a prisoner and my frustration changed into anger. Into rage which caused a huge fight three weeks go. An he told me the whole truth ...

The fact that he was transgenic didn’t scare me. But the fact that Manticore wants to catch him at any cost was like a Damocles sword hanging above my head. Just imagine how horrible and dark thoughts appeared in my mind. I loved him, he made me happy, and there was this threat in the air that he will be taken away from me. That night he told me how life in Manticore looked like, and I couldn’t stop crying. Paranoia. Everything he had lived through, experienced, he was talking about it so with a stone face. And I was crying for him, squeezing his hand. I can’t remember if I slept that night, but I’m sure he didn’t. I could hear his whispers in my head, praying that this hell would never come back.

Then I understood, that he was scared of going back there, but he also was scared of something else. I scared him. The fear for me. When it turned out that I was pregnant, all he could think about was to protect me. To protect us. Maybe I should have let him without a word of protest. But of course Elizabeth Parker had her own reason and somehow wanted to help him. We argued. He slammed the door.

That is when I saw him for the last time.

It’s three maybe four days, and I feel like this pain lasts from ages. The voice of strange girl echoes in my head, telling me that he is gone. He vanished. He may never come back. I would rather cope with his death than with the possibility that he can be there. Behind these great walls. I remember his words, I can see the lights of laser that takes everything away from him. It takes me away from him. It takes him away from me. His hazel eyes full of desire will never look at me again. His soft lips won’t stop my mumbling. His strongly beating heart will be empty, voided of a feeling, that was inside of him. Only silence and emptiness.

Once again my stomach twists, and I jump and land on my knees, letting the yellowish substance and digestive juices to leave my body. I’m weakened, somehow I manage to sit and lean over the bath. But I don’t want to move. I don’t want to lay down. I don’t want anything. I just want this pain to go away. I wish this cursed, tearing me apart feeling would disappear.

But I know it won’t vanish. With every passing day, I will see how I’m changing and this awareness will become stronger. That it’s my fault. That I bring misery on those who I love. That I’m not supposed to be happy. Alec was also bore by fate. He will live in this hell, not knowing that he is a father. That his replica will be here. Only sometimes, a misty memory will appear in his mind, a hunch, that there is something behind the walls. That there is someone waiting for him.

I wish I could turn back time. Few days to stop him from leaving. Few weeks to stop myself from getting pregnant. Few months to stop myself from meeting him. Few years to die ..

I’m filled with this lead, dim gore that lingers in me and makes me lose balance. It rocks calmly my body, front and back. My throat squeezes, to stop me from shouting in despair. But I don’t have tears to cry, I cried them out during these three long nights. Now there are only tear marks that burn on my cheeks, my head hums. My stomach twists and straightens, sending shivers on my body. The world starts to spin and meld. I’m getting weaker ...

I’m getting weaker and weaker. I have no strength to grab the phone and call for help. If it’s meant to end like this so be it. No, there is no hope in me. In a moments like this hope dies with tragic death. It died when the door slammed. It died along with the memory of me. I shut my eyes and let the darkness embrace me. And I have this feeling that I hear a voice. Strange voice. Cold voice.
Last edited by _liz on Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
_liz
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by _liz »

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about this story. It's just that we have a lot of exams right now and I don't really know when Amara will translate the second part. But I hope it'll be soon :)

Oh, and I think you will be surprised with the ending...
_liz
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by _liz »

Ok, as I promised I have another part for you. The last part. Now it's Alec's narration. Thank you all for reading this story and I hope you'll like it (and won't kill me because of the ending...)

~ * ~

My eyes follow her movements. They are slow, full of despair. Her hands keep her hair from falling into eyes, she looks around, tries to search for a way to escape. But she won’t find it. Her small figure is curled on a cold bed, her knees are pulled up to her chest. Frightened, lonely, crushed. She has no idea about what had happened and where she is. It’s probably better, she doesn’t know she is in hell. In the abyss with no way out, called Manticore.

I hate this place even more than she does. Her mind isn’t familiar with this torture of being here. I unfortunately know this feeling. I know it quite well. Every detail of this place makes me sicken and brings a shiver of some memory. But I don’t know what memory is it, and I will never know. I can just suspect what happened. No need to say much. It’s Psy-Ops. Psychotic outskirts of this hell, where everything I used to love and value in my life is forgotten, it became nothing.

I can’t even say that I admired and loved someone, these feelings are new to me. But observing this girl makes my heart ache. It pierces my brain and tears me up from inside. A familiar feeling runs through my mind. No matter how hard I try to put it in place, I can’t. I can’t concentrate and regain it in myself. It was taken away from me, forever. Or maybe till the marks of a laser melt on my pupils.

I stand here, on the other side of the mirror, and observe carefully her actions. Nobody can even imagine how lonely a person can be in such a small room. Cold, blue floor, uncomfortable bed and one chair. Nothing more. She shakes nervously into the rhythm of some melody played in her mind. I know Manticore well enough to say that they are heartless sons of a bitches. But I never suspected that they will do something like this. Capture a ordinary girl, that is suspected to have accomplished such a valuable experiment.

They say she’s pregnant. With a transgenic. Here the breeding program isn’t a success, so the faintest evidence, that some women will have a child with a transgenic makes them ecstatic. I have no idea how they managed to find her. I don’t know who’s the father. But I can’t stand here calmly and observe what they are about to do to her. I heard that they will start form internal biopsy, to examine the DNA and discover who the father is. Later ... later that girl will experience hell, that she hadn’t dreamt of in her worst nightmares. The nightmare she will never wake up from.

This strange feeling of impotence is in me, it teases my nerves. Bu what can I do? I was appointed to observe her and see the proper development. So I stand here behind this thick glass and observe her. Actually my eyes are stuck in one place, because the girl doesn’t move an inch. Only sometimes she will hang above the bed and throw up on a crystal clear floor. An ordinary symptom of human pregnancy. A tragedy of situation, that she sinks in more with every day.

How stupid must that guy have been to put in danger such an innocent creature? She’s not older than twenty years. Maybe even younger. And her life is destined to fall. She’s cursed. She bears a mark from which there is no escape. Everything will be taken away from her. Now they have taken away her freedom, later her emotions, after that she will lose her baby, and in the end there will be nothing left. Her memory, her thoughts, ability to control her body. Her life. And maybe it would be better for her to die than experience the things that are about to come.

She will be a wreck.

Just like me. Just like we all are. There is nothing inside us. Not even a faint light of life, that would keep the faith and hope. Hope? This word doesn’t exist here. It died with my first breath. And it won’t resurrect. I know, that I used to live outside these walls, that there was colour and meaning. Maybe even there was this faith that I can have hope. Maybe I had some feelings. I’m sure I had. I feel it unconsciously. But now all that is left is just an echo of those feelings, burning in my mind.

A wave of horror runs through my veins when the girl looks directly at me. She can’t see me, that’s sure. But she stares at the mirror, in the place where I’m standing. Her big brown eyes look at me pleadingly as if she was waiting for someone to help her and let her go. I’d let her go. But I don’t have the power. I don’t have the courage, to oppose an order. I swallow a bittersweet spit and strain my muscles. The fear spreads in my body, it burns my nerves, wakes up unknown screams in my head. Her eyes ... I know them. I’m sure I know them. And I know that they grieve my heart, almost crush it.

I blink heavily, when the door opens, and Renfro steps inside. The biggest bitch the world has ever seen. She orders to clean up the mess and then sits on the chair. She looks at the girl. She curls even more, and moves backwards. As if she had hope that there she will be safe. Only the words said by the blonde bitch make her realise where she is. And suddenly something unexpected happens. When the word Manticore appears, her face becomes pail. Her skin becomes white as a chalk, her lips stay open in shock. As if she knew what’s happening and that there is no escape. And when it seems that nothing can astonish me, she jumps from bed.

Her tiny feet slide on the floor when she runs to the mirror. To the exact place where I’m standing. She touches the glass and her fingers leave marks. She touches it desperately. I have this feeling that she looks me in the eyes. Blank, till that moment, fill with the spark of life. Something breaks in me. Some scratch left in my mind begins to expand, rays of pulsating light reach my conscience.

Tears keep falling from her eyes, and she is whispering one word. Alec. Over and over again. Like obsessed. Alec. Pleadingly. Hopelessly. Like a forbidden prayer. I can’t take my eyes of her. Suddenly I’m overwhelmed with anger. Pain. My blood boils, heart stops, when I see her face in my mind. I knew her. When? Where? Who is she? And she is crying even more, her nails begin to scrub the glass, trying to reach me. Alec. Alec. Alec. She finds the strength to hit the glass, that is between us. Her voice is familiar. This word is familiar. That ... name. Someone’s name. I heard it before.

That’s my name.

She knew me. I knew her. But how does she know that I’m here? Who is she? Her image is more clear. The sun light infiltrates through the laser. My heart bursts suddenly, beating heavily. I approach the glass driven by some unknown force. By this overwhelming desire to hug her tightly. To feel her body and make this pain go away.

I raise my hand and touch the glass in the place where her fingers leave wet marks. I curse this glass, that divides us and doesn’t allow me to feel the warmth of her hand. My eyes follow the slightest movement of her lips, each tear falling down her cheek. I soften. I grow weaker. I shatter into pieces. I fall into pieces. A short name roars in my head. Liz. I know that’s her name, I remember saying it. But I can’t say it out loud. The memory of this lies somewhere deep inside my mind and doesn’t want to reach the surface.

Two guards grab her and drag to the bed. She cries and tries to reach me. But they are stronger. A needle that pierces her skin and drips some substance to her blood seems to penetrate me. I feel like everything cools down and dies. Her voice flounders in her throat, only her eyes full of tears keep staring at the glass. My hand still lingers on the glass and I can’t take it away. Longing to touch her once again.

And when she closes her eyes, one strange, hot tear, falls down my cheek.

The End.

"Bittersweet" by within Temptation

If I tell you
Will you listen?
Will you stay?
Will you be here forever?
Never go away?
Never thought things would change, hold me tight
Please don't say again that you have to go

A bitter thought
I had it all
But I just let it go