Tell My Father (AA, R/Z, Yteen, 1/1) [COMPLETE]

All finished stories from the Unconventional Couples board, the Crossover board, and the Alien Abyss boards will eventually be moved here. See those forums for descriptions.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

RoswellChic4Ever
Addicted Roswellian
Location: Suburbia, where they tear out the trees and name the streets after them!

Tell My Father (AA, R/Z, Yteen, 1/1) [COMPLETE]

Post by RoswellChic4Ever »

<b>Title:</b> Tell My Father

<b>Author:</b> RoswellChic4Ever/LiL mIsS vIxEn131

<b>Rating:</b> Yteen

<b>Category:</b> Rath/Zan friendship Rath/His Father

<b>Summary:</b> Back on Antar, Rath reminisces during his death, and asks Zan for one last thing.

<b>Disclaimer:</b> Not mine… Don’t sue…

<I>Tell my father, that his son,
Didn’t run, or surrender.
That I bore his name with pride,
As I tried to remember,
You are judged by what you do,
While passing through.</I>

I never thought that it would end this way. I’m… I’m the King’s second in command. I’m trained to fight, I’m a soldier… I’m the General of the Antarian Army… The best General they’ve had in centuries… And here I am, lying in the dirt, bleeding to death. I can’t move, I can hardly breathe… And yet, I’m thinking clearly, as clearly as ever.

I’m proud. I know how crazy that sounds, I’m proud to be dying… But I am. I am proud because I am dying for my planet… I am dying to save my King and Queen, and my fiancée… I will never become a prince, I will never become anything more than I am, but that’s ok with me.

<I>As I rest ‘neath fields of green
Let him lean
On your shoulder.
Tell him how I spent my youth
So the truth could grow older
Tell my father, when you can
I was a man.</I>

I was born into this gig. My father protected Zan’s father until he was too old, and I in turn protected Zan. Father told me that it was a privilege to be in our position and I resented him. I resented him because I wanted something different. I didn’t want to be a general, or a prince, or the King’s best friend. I wanted a normal life, one away from wars and hatred. I just wanted to live in the country maybe a wife and a few kids. I wanted to be a painter. Father hated that.

So I did as he wanted. I served in the Army and I died for honor. I can see my father’s face in my mind, when he hears of my death. He’ll be sad, because I know he loves me, through all of our arguments I know that he only wanted the best for me. And he believed that his life was the best… Yes, I believe that my death will make him extremely sad, but he’ll be proud, so proud, and that in itself, is enough. Knowing that I made him proud, even if I had to die to do it, makes everything ok.

<I>Tell him we will meet again,
Where the angels learn to fly.
Tell him we will meet as men
For with honor,
Did I die.</I>

“Rath, God, get up.” I can hear muttered voices, but one sticks out particularly, I open my eyes and see Zan, my best friend, my brother, kneeling next to me in the dirt.

“You better get up.” I sputter, the strong taste of blood in my mouth. “Wouldn’t want you to get your royal self dirty.” I attempt to laugh, but it hurts too much.

“This isn’t a time to joke. You’re hurt. We need to get you help.” Zan takes complete control of the situation, like normal, but I can see he’s scared… I can read him well.

“It’s no … use. Just… let me go Zan… Let me go… with… dignity.” It’s difficult to get the words out, but I manage, through the pain.

“Dignity?” He stammers… “Is dignity dying in the mud? Refusing help from your friend.” He’s going to cry and I’m almost… happy about it. To know that I died for this man and his planet, to know that it means something to him… That makes me proud.

“Dignity … is dying for what I … believe in Zan… Dying to save my … friends and … family, and the people … I care about…” My head is starting to spin, and I know it’s coming, and I’m not scared. I’m not scared at all… “Do… me… a favor.”

“Anything.” He says.

I rip a medal off of my jacket and place it in Zan‘s hand. “Tell my father…” The taste of fresh blood floods my mouth and I start coughing. I can’t speak… I can’t do anything.

The last thing I hear before I die is Zan’s promise… “I’ll tell him how you died with honor Rath… I’ll tell him.”

And the world goes black…

<I>Tell him how I wore the blue,
Proud and true, through the fire.
Tell my father, so he’ll know,
I love him so.</I>

“Today the Antarian Army says goodbye to the greatest general it’s seen in centuries. The people of Antar have not only lost a general, but also a man who died for this planet, and who died proudly, wanting to protect and serve. I have not only lost a terrific military leader, but my best friend whom I will miss dearly, and so I share my grieving with you, and hope that you will recognize what a loss this truly is.”

The King stepped down from his podium and walked to an old man sitting in the front row, not a single tear in his eyes, or on his cheeks, for he was too proud a man to cry, but his eyes, like his sons, said everything. The sorrow behind them was immense, and Zan felt his pain.

“Sir, Rath wanted you to have this.” He said, thrusting the medal into the man’s strong hand.

He looked down at the medal and Zan thought he saw a slight smile. “He was very brave…” Zan started, but the old man held his hand up, and Zan stopped.

“I was never more proud of my son, than the day he stood up and became a member of the army, and to this day, I am proud of him, and until I die, I’ll be proud of him. He was more a man than I’ll ever be… I hope he knew that.”

Zan looked up at the sky and smiled. “He knew sir… he knew.”

<I>Tell him how I wore the blue
Proud and true, like he taught me.
Tell my father, not to cry,
Then say goodbye.</I>
"What do I look like? The Wizard of Oz? You need a brain? You need a heart? Go ahead, take mine. Take everything I have."