Memories (UC, Teen, 1/1) [COMPLETE]

All finished stories from the Unconventional Couples board, the Crossover board, and the Alien Abyss boards will eventually be moved here. See those forums for descriptions.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

elfangel01
Addicted Roswellian

Memories (UC, Teen, 1/1) [COMPLETE]

Post by elfangel01 »

Title: Memories

Author: elfangel01

Pairing: Liz/?... it's not that big of a mystery, you're all smart, you'll figure it out in no time!

Rating: Teen

Summary: just a little fluff that I couldn't get out of my head. Inspired by Keith Urban's "Making Memories of Us", which is also where the title came from :wink:

Disclaimer: sadly I own nothing... I wish I did because Alex wouldn't have died and a lot of other things would have been different.

A/N: It's slightly AU, in other words Liz was shot, but Tess isn't evil and Alex didn't die... everything else should explain itself.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Twenty two year old Elizabeth Parker looked fondly around the main room of her parent’s diner. The only home she had ever known, the Crashdown Café, her parents business and life for as long as she could remember. She watched as chairs and tables were moved in order to provide room for a makeshift dance floor for her birthday party tonight.

Liz giggled softly as she watched Isabel yell at Max and Michael about something to do with streamers and proper spacing for such things, the terrified looks on the two men’s faces were priceless. To think, a former alien king and his general, afraid of a tall, statuesque blonde who is obsessed with planning.

Liz smiled as her eyes shifted to Alex and Maria, two of her best friends for as long as she could remember. They had been there with her when she stood through some of her most trying times; from finding out that aliens exist, to realizing that she and Max were not meant to be. The two paramours had parted ways amicably and were now friends, but it had been difficult to give up the one person that had seen her through all that had gone down in the past few years. Liz’s eyes glazed over as she began to think back on all that had happened since discovering aliens were in fact among them.

The group of six had been inseparable; lies tended to do that to people. Liz still felt residual guilt about breaking up with Kyle back then, but she had thought it in his best interest. She had pushed him away and the lies had broken up their friendship completely; it had taken them a long time to get back to any sense of normalcy. Things had seemed good for the six throughout sophomore year, and then Tess came to town.

Tess had been the odd one out; frustrated and hurt that the aliens didn’t remember her or recognize her, she preached constantly about their ‘destiny’. Tess drove a wedge between the aliens and humans that summer and it was a rough junior year as well. The alien’s enemies from their planet had finally found them so the year was filled with danger and mystery as they struggled to simply survive, all with the added strain of school and work. Finally though, things began to work out. It seemed Tess had given up and was beginning to realize that humans weren’t as bad as she thought and the aliens didn’t have to fulfill their destiny to be together, they had survived just fine the way they were.

The summer after their junior year was when things began to make sense again. Liz and Max were back together; Michael and Maria were back to their constant nagging and Eraser Room visits; Alex and Isabel were back to normal and even Tess and Kyle seemed a little friendly towards each other. However, Kyle and Tess soon realized their relationship was strictly sibling since Tess had moved in to the Valenti home when Nasedo, the alien’s protector and Tess’s surrogate father, had died.

Graduation came and went and college started. The group of six had expanded to eight, plus Sheriff Valenti. Apartments were rented and dorms were moved into as they all headed to Las Cruces University in the realization that home is where they wanted to be. The next two years flew by and the summer after sophomore year things began to change with Max and Liz. They realized that their once strong love had turned into a strong friendship. It had been weird to come to terms with it and Maria still pushed for them to get back together but it wasn’t meant to be. That was when things changed for Liz. She realized who she wanted had been standing in front of her the entire time. It took a while for her to work up the courage to talk to him but when she did it had been worth it. The others hadn’t seen it coming and their relationship had thrown the group for a loop but everyone soon realized they were happy for them.

Through everything that had happened from the moment Liz was shot during sophomore year she wouldn’t change a thing. Some things had hurt and some had been hard but everything brought her to where she was now; about to graduate college and move to New York City to work for a major corporation, her friends were even moving out near her as well. Kyle was going to work for a major law firm. Maria was going back to work on her latest album, she had been discovered during their sophomore year and couldn’t be happier about it all. Alex was hired by MIT and Isabel was going with him, she would start her fashion line there. Max and Tess had both majored in medicine and were going to pursue their PhD at Harvard.

“Hey Lizzie, where do you want the music table?” Alex shot his friend a lopsided smile, pulling her out of her musings.

“Move the jukebox over some and put it against the wall.”

“Alright”

“What time does this thing start again? Cuz you know we have to go upstairs and get ready.” Maria was spreading the music selections out and could barely contain her glee at the thought of what was happening tonight.

“Tess should be here soon, and then the guys are leaving.” Liz arched a brow at Max, Michael, and Alex as they protested loudly. “The guys are leaving so we can go upstairs and get ready. Everyone should be here by eight for the party to start.” Liz hadn’t wanted a big party, just her friends and their families. The entire group was more like family by now than just friends anyways.

The time passed easily, Liz sat back and watched as per orders from Isabel. The blonde had said that the birthday girl wouldn’t touch anything today. Liz was supposed to just sit back and relax. A few hours later Tess breezed through the door, arms laden down with bags. Isabel had made the clothes for her and the others and dropped the stuff with Tess earlier; now that she was here it was time for the girls to go up and get ready. Liz was a little hesitant because she hadn’t seen the things Isabel had designed but she knew how the blonde could get.

“Are we ready ladies?” called Tess. “It’s time to get beautiful for the lowly people we surround ourselves with.” She smirked at Alex and Michael and winked at Max. It wasn’t the first time Liz had wondered about the two of them and it wouldn’t be the last, she just wanted her family to be happy.

“I still don’t understand why I can’t just wear this” whined Liz as she motioned to her simple sundress and sandals.

“Because my dear Liz, this is your last big party at home. Soon you’ll be moving to New York with your wonderful boyfriend and we will all be starting our jobs.”

Maria cut in as Isabel took a breath “And while we refuse to be severely parted, our time will be limited. Now for tonight we are all dressing up for this shindig and you will enjoy it!” Maria arched a warning brow at her best friend since diapers and waited for the brunette’s acquiescence.

“Fine” Liz grumbled as she got to her feet and waved goodbye to the guys before allowing herself to be led upstairs. Walking through the door she sent a pleading glance to her parents before they walked out of the apartment, smiling at their daughter; they were going to pick up some last minute things for the night while the girls got ready.

“Bye sweetheart. We’ll be back later for the party.” Jeff Parker waved at his daughter as she sent him a mutinous glare.

Liz sighed as the click of the door shutting basically signaled her fate. “Alright” she muttered. “Let’s get this over with”

“You’re going to look great Liz” Tess promised as she took her friend’s hand and led her back to the bedroom.

“We’re going to have so much fun tonight” Maria exclaimed as she began pulling clothes out of the bag Tess had handed her. “Ooh I love this” she squealed, turning bright eyes on Isabel. “Thank you so much!” Maria held in her hands a velvet green dress that cut off mid thigh. It had a square neck and three quarter length sleeves. Isabel had even made a simple black leather choker to go with it and black leather knee high boots.

“You welcome” Isabel smiled brightly. While she didn’t flaunt it, she loved her work and she loved making the others happy with her clothes. Any appreciation she got she took in stride and simply felt her spirits rise. “Here you go Liz.” Isabel handed her friend the last bag and waited with bated breath as Liz walked into the bathroom to change. Isabel was anxious for any kind of reaction. A few minutes later she was rewarded with the door opening and Liz walked out with tears in her eyes. Isabel’s shoulders dropped with the realization that Liz didn’t like the dress. “You don’t like it?” she asked sadly.

“Isabel, I love it” sniffled Liz. “It’s beautiful, thank you so much!” Liz embraced the taller girl, tears spilling out of her eyes in gratitude. She flashed her friends a hundred watt smile and twirled for them. Her dress was a deep maroon halter that fell delicately to a few inches above her knees. It had black glitter patterns running over it and there was a delicate black chain hanging down her back from the clasp at her neck. She wore black strappy sandals and Isabel was going to pull her hair back for her. “I love it” she said again, smiling at Isabel.

“I’m glad” Isabel felt her spirits soar at Liz’s appreciation for her dress. “Now let’s get ready, what do you girls say?”

“I say that’s a fabulous idea.” Liz took off her dress and went and jumped in the shower, while Maria took the hall one. They were out quickly and switched with Isabel and Tess. The two alien’s used their powers to dry everyone’s hair and do their makeup before they all slipped into their dresses. Tess was wearing a spaghetti strapped midnight blue dress that hugged her curves nicely and stopped mid thigh. The dress had a sheer light blue top covering it with a slit up the middle. Isabel was wearing black, she had on a strapless fitted dress that wrapped around her body, hugging her curves perfectly and stopping a little above her knees, with a small slit on one side.

“Oh damn, it’s time to get downstairs!” exclaimed Tess as she looked at the clock.

“Well let’s get our asses in gear then” Maria herded the other three out the door and down the stairs to see the diner plunged into darkness.

“Okay, what’s going on, it’s not like this is a surprise party” exclaimed Liz in exasperation.

“I don’t know what’s happening” shrugged Isabel while shooting conspiring glances at Tess and Maria. “Why don’t you go check out front and we’ll check the fuse box?”

“Alright” Liz sighed as she walked towards the swinging door, freezing when she heard the opening chords of a familiar song. Instantly tears sprang to her eyes as a spotlight fell on Kyle, obviously the alien’s work. She could vaguely make out the others standing in the background, but her eyes were solely focused on the man before her. He looked so handsome; he had on black slacks and a white button down shirt with the top two buttons undone and hints of tantalizingly smooth, brown skin underneath. Liz almost felt the breath leave her body when he held his hand out to her.

I'm gonna be here for you baby
I'll be a man of my word
Speak the language in a voice that you have never heard
I wanna sleep with you forever
And I wanna die in your arms
In a cabin by a meadow where the wild bees swarm

And I'm gonna love you like nobody loves you
And I'll earn your trust making memories of us

The couple slowly swayed together, unnoticing of anyone else in the room. Liz rested her head on Kyle’s shoulder, inhaling his scent and smiling softly, feeling tears gathering again but content, she was in the arms of the man she loved and that was all that mattered. Everything that had happened earlier, the planning, the anxiety over Isabel and the others, it all faded now that she was here with him. This was the best birthday present ever. Kyle had been gone on business for the law firm, setting things up in New York so she hadn’t seen him in nearly two weeks. For him to do this for her it was amazing; all he had really needed to do was show up but here he was doing this.

I wanna honor your mother
I wanna learn from your pa
I wanna steal your attention like a bad outlaw
I wanna stand out in a crowd for you
A man among men
I wanna make your world better than it's ever been

Liz tilted her head to look up at him and smiled; the love shining for her through his eyes was overwhelming but in a comforting kind of way; it wasn’t suffocating at all. They had been together for two years now and it was honestly two of the best years of her life. She didn’t know what she would do without him. She held her breath as Kyle tilted his head down to hers and covered her lips with his own.

The kiss was slow and sweet; teasing and loving; Kyle poured everything he felt for her into that kiss and pulled back slightly breathless, he smiled in satisfaction at the dazed look on his girlfriend. “I missed you” he whispered, nuzzling her temple and inhaling her sweet scent.

“I missed you too.” Liz wrapped her arms tighter around him as the music continued to float around them.

We'll follow the rainbow
Wherever the four winds blow
And there'll be a new day
Comin' your way

I'm gonna be here for you from now on
This you know somehow
You've been stretched to the limits but it's alright now
And I'm gonna make you a promise
If there's life after this
I'm gonna be there to meet you with a warm, wet kiss

“Happy Birthday, baby”

“It’s a lot happier now that you’re home.”

“It’s nice to hear you say that”

“Yeah, well it’s true” Liz gave a sigh of contentment and Kyle chuckled at it softly.

Kyle pulled back slowly, kissing Liz once more before looking her steadily in the eyes. “We’ve been through a lot together, you and I. There were hard times and there were good times. There were times I didn’t know if I would make it and your smiling face would enter my mind and everything would be okay again. It took us a long time to get to where we are, and now that we’re here I’m the happiest I’ve ever been, but one more thing would make me the happiest man on the planet.” Kyle dropped to one knee, holding his palm open where a little black velvet box rested and inside was a gorgeous diamond engagement ring. “Marry me, baby.”

Liz froze, she couldn’t believe it, the love of her life was asking her to marry him. She worked her jaw up and down, trying so hard to make the one word come out. Finally, she managed to choke out “Yes” around her tears. She felt the cool band slide down her finger as Kyle stood and embraced her. Both of them were crying and they were so wrapped up in each other.

“Yes?” Kyle questioned again, just to be sure he heard her correctly.

“Yes” Liz giggled, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him down for a drugging kiss.

“YES!” he crowed. “She said yes,” he exclaimed to the others in the room. They were all laughing and crying. They came up to embrace the happy couple and everyone wished Liz a happy birthday and congratulations to both of them.

“This is the best birthday ever” Liz whispered to Kyle later that night as they lay in bed.

“I’m glad baby, I’m glad.” There was a comfortable silence in the room before Kyle shifted to look at Liz; he wrapped his arms comfortably around her waist. “I love you.”

“I love you too. I can’t wait to be Mrs. Kyle Valenti.”

“That sounds amazing. I’m going to love you forever Mrs. Valenti.”

I'm gonna love you like nobody loves you
And I'll win your trust making memories of us

Oh. McDreamy was doing the McNasty with McHottie? That McBastard. Uh, how was that?
-Dr. George O'Malley

Check out my stories :)
viewtopic.php?t=14727