All I Need (UC, Mi/L, Teen, 1/1) {COMPLETE}

All finished stories from the Unconventional Couples board, the Crossover board, and the Alien Abyss boards will eventually be moved here. See those forums for descriptions.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

Roswell4ever1
Addicted Roswellian

All I Need (UC, Mi/L, Teen, 1/1) {COMPLETE}

Post by Roswell4ever1 »

Title: All I Need
By: Ann
Warnings: None
Rating: Teen
Summary: Michael takes a big chance for the one person who means the world to him.
Disclaimer: I do not own anything related to Roswell or the characters. The song used in this fic is Anymore by Travis Tritt.

He knew he couldn’t have her. He knew he was just setting himself up for a heartbreak. But he had to take the chance. He was never one to make his feelings known before, but that’s exactly what he was about to do. Lay it all open, bear his soul for the one woman who meant more to him than anything or anyone else ever had, or ever would. He was scared, but not about to turn back. He refused to let this opportunity slip away, even if it would turn out badly. If anyone knew what he was about to do, they would tell him he was making a mistake. But he knew better. Sitting back and doing nothing would be the biggest mistake of his life. One he wasn’t willing to make.

It was a Friday night so the club was packed. Everyone he had grown close to was there. Max, Kyle, Maria, Isabel, Alex, Tess and Liz. They were all there. Things had changed dramatically within the last two years where the group was concerned. Nothing remained of the couples who once thought they would be together forever. Maybe it was teenaged idealism that kept them together as long as they were, and adult realism that made them see it wasn’t going to turn out the way they had once believed, or maybe it was all they had to face. But whatever it was, it had split them as couples and thrown them into the arms of someone else. Max, who once was obsessed with Liz, was now with her best friend Maria. Isabel was now with Kyle and Tess was now with Alex.

Things weren’t so easy for Michael and Liz. They had both taken it a lot harder than the others had when they caught Max and Maria together. They never saw it coming. Whether they missed the signs, or there just weren’t any was irrelevant. Walking in that day and finding them together nearly killed them both. Liz went to Florida to get away from it all and Michael buried himself in work at Meta Chem and painting. It wasn’t much of an existence, but it was all that they had. They were finally able to get past it, but it caused a rift in the group that no one thought they would be able to mend. But they did. It took a year and a half, but they got past it.

When Liz had come back from Florida, it wasn’t Maria she went to. It wasn’t Alex. She went to him. She knew he had gone through the same thing she had and would understand. They would spend hours together not saying anything. Just sitting together, knowing they weren’t alone. Hours turned to days, days turned to months and they quickly realized they needed each other. They both knew they could count on the other no matter what.

But the one thing he hadn’t counted on, was his feelings growing stronger than he had wanted them to. He had just wanted a friend. He never wanted to fall in love with her. But he did and he’d been hiding it from her, from everyone for months, making it almost impossible to be around her without holding her…kissing her. They had built a system. She would ask him how he was feeling and he’d growl and ignore the question. He’d ask how she was feeling and she’d talk all night. It was something he’d grown used to and come to need. He had told her once how he felt. He’d been drinking and told her he once was in love with her, but that he wasn’t anymore. He tried to convince himself of it. That he was never in love with her, he was just on the rebound. But as time went on and his feelings grew stronger, he knew he was just lying to himself.

He couldn’t do it anymore. It was killing him inside. Masticating into his soul, his very being. Had been for months and he had to break the cycle before it swallowed him whole. He had to let her know how he felt. He wasn’t good with words, spoken or written. He knew he would just make things worse if he tried to say it. So he turned to the next best thing. Someone else’s words. He just hoped it would be enough.

He slowly walked up to the stage where the DJ sat, rummaging through miscellaneous cd’s. He wasn’t scared that Liz would cheat on him like Maria did. He knew she would never do that. He was scared that she wouldn’t want him. Not like that anyway. And he didn’t think his heart could take another slam. But he had to take the chance. Before it was too late.

Picking out the song he wanted, he put in his request and stepped back off of the stage, palms sweating and heart beating a mile a minute. This was it. Moment of truth. All the possible scenarios kept going through his head, making it difficult to concentrate. Standing in the corner fifty feet from the rest of the group, he waited for the moment that would make the situation playing on in his mind a reality.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we have a request.”

Here it comes. He kept wondering if he should run. Just run and not come back. It would be the safest thing for his heart. Or would it? Would living the rest of his life wondering what if be worth it? But then again, was she worth what he was risking? Was she worth his heart? He turned his head and looked over at her. She was looking at the DJ, waiting to see what was going to be played. Her brown hair up in a French twist and her eyes sparkling from the lights in the club. And just like that, his heart skipped a beat. There was no getting out of this. And if he was completely honest with himself, he didn’t want out. He wanted her. He turned to look at the DJ who was reading the note he had given to him. He began to speak into the microphone.

“To the woman who has never given up on me. You always want to know how I feel. Listen to the words Liz, and you’ll know. Michael.”

Liz turned and looked at him as the song began to play. Their eyes burning into each other with an intensity so strong, they both thought they would explode from the raw power of it. Walking over to her, he put his hand out for hers. She reached up and grabbed on, never letting her eyes move away as he lead her to the dance floor. He wrapped his arms around her waist and she snaked hers around his neck.

I can’t hide the way I feel
about you anymore.
I can’t hold the hurt inside,
Keep the pain out of my eyes anymore.

The lights dimmed and everyone but them moved off the dance floor. But they hadn’t noticed. They were so caught up in each other that time stood still.

My tears no longer waiting
My resistance aint that strong
My mind keeps recreating
A life without you alone.
And I’m tired of pretending
I don’t love you anymore.

She put her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. Tightening his hold on her slightly, he prayed she wouldn’t reject him.

Let me make one last appeal
To show you how I feel about you.
‘Cause there’s no one else, I swear,
holds a candle anywhere next to you.

As the song played on, his breathing picked up. He had never bared his heart this way before and it scared him to think that he could get this caught up in anyone. But she wasn’t just anyone. She was Liz. She was the woman who made his life worth living. She was the one who gave him a reason to want to live it.

My heart can’t take the beating,
Not having you to hold
A small voice keeps repeating
Deep within my soul
It says: “I can’t keep pretending I don’t love you anymore.”
I’ve got to take the chance or let it pass by
If I expect to get on with my life

A life he was hoping she would share with him. He didn’t have anything to offer her. He didn’t have money, or a big house or a fancy car. All he had was his love for her. Maybe that’s what scared him the most. The knowledge that he couldn’t give her the things he knew she deserved in life. Thinking about it now brought his insecurities back at full force. What if he wasn’t enough for her? What if she wanted someone else? Where would that leave him?

My tears no longer waiting
Oh my resistance ain’t that strong
My mind keeps recreating
A life with you alone
And I’m tired of pretending
I don’t love you anymore.
Anymore.
Anymore.

He stepped back and looked at her, the look in her eyes almost angry. Without a word, he turned and started walking away. He had to get out. He couldn’t breathe. His worst nightmare was coming true. He had let her know how he felt and she was anything but happy about it. He was outside the club and almost to his bike when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned quickly, prepared to defend himself only to realize he didn’t have to. And he couldn’t, even if he’d wanted to. He couldn’t because the look she was giving him was almost enough to knock him to his knees.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” she asked, eyebrows furrowed in obvious confusion.

“I did.”

“No, you told me that you used to be in love with me but you weren’t anymore. Why didn’t you just tell me the truth then?”

Avoiding the question, he looked down at his hands. “I’m leaving.”

“What? Why?”

“You deserve to be happy. You deserve to have everything you want. For all your dreams to come true. But I can’t give you that.” He took a deep breath. “I have nothing to give you Liz.

Stepping closer, Liz put her hands on both of his shoulders.

“Do you love me Michael? I need for you to be honest with me. No more hiding. Do you love me?”

Looking back up at her, he swallowed the lump in his throat and nodded.

“Tell me.”

“What?” he asked, barely above a whisper.

“Tell me. I have to hear it.” She wiped the tear from her cheek.

There was a long pause as he looked at her and thought about what he would be missing.

“I love you.” He said, closing his eyes and waiting for the walls to crumble around him.

“I love you too.” His eyes snapped open at her words. “You just gave me my dreams.”

“What?” he asked, confused.

Liz chuckled. “You are all I want Michael. I don’t want some big fancy house or car or anything like that. It’s all immaterial. All I want is you. I love you Michael and that’s all I need.”

Michael couldn’t control the smile that played across is lips. He’d taken the chance, made the move and it paid off. He’d have to be sure to thank Max and Maria later for getting together but right now, he was thanking God. He finally had what he’d wanted for so long. He had Liz. And that was all HE needed.

The End…