Choices and Conseqences teen M/L CC Chapter 9 11/15/17

This is the place to post all your General Roswell fanfiction. Any Canon fics, which pick up directly from any episode of the show and that focus on Max/Liz, Michael/Maria, Isabel/Alex or Isabel/Jesse, Kyle/Tess, or all the couples together! Rule of Thumb: If Max healed Liz in the Crashdown in September 1999, then your fic belongs here. If it picks up from the show in any way, it belongs here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, jbangelo, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

JanieD
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Choices and Conseqences teen M/L CC Chapter 9 11/15/17

Post by JanieD »

CC
Rated: Teen
Max and Liz story
I don't own anything of Roswell and have not claim to the characters.
This story takes place after Max and Tess return from NYC. Its my what if story I shared a long time ago but with some major rewrites.

Choices and Consequences

Nicholas was beyond angry as he climbed down the stairs. He was disgusted with this planet, with these stupid limitations this body offered, and most of all with his inability to get what he desperately needed to be done. How was it possible that someone like Max Evans, a shadow of his former self could possibly be the one keeping him from getting off this backward planet and back home where he belonged. He took in a deep breath as he walked through the storm drain. “That I have been reduced to this is beyond ridiculous,” he mumbled in frustration as he walked through the doorway and saw his two least favorite hybrids in the universe sitting there before him.

"So did you find out where the Granolith is?" Rath asked Nicholas. “When do we get out of this rat hole.”

"That stupid, half-human, inferior girl was actually able to block me out. I don't know how..." he said as he paced back and forth, "but she was able to block me out of her head completely."

Rath narrowed his eyes just a bit, "So what's that supposed to mean?"

Nicolas did his best to remain patient. He rolled his eyes and shook his head in disgust. “It means that I couldn't tell where the Granolith was located, you idiot. She used her mind warp powers and just kept blocking me," he told them trying to keep his anger under control. “If only I had more time I could have broken her.”

Lonnie laughed at his frustration, “So a tiny little girl stopped the big bad Nicholas from getting what he wanted,” she mocked him.

"So now what, if we don't have the Granolith, then we got nothing," Rath told him. "This whole thing was a huge waste of time, and Khivar ain't gonna be so happy.”

Nicholas glared at him, "No it was not a huge waste of time. There still might be a way to get what we want," he said as he stopped pacing.
Lonnie grew annoyed. She didn’t like playing games. She took in a deep breath, "So just tell us already!" she demanded. "Did you find anything out that can help us or not?"

Nicholas smiled, "Tess may have been able to keep me from finding the location of the Granolith, but she was not able to keep me out of her head completely. She is strong, but she isn’t impervious to me. A few well-chosen words and I was able to get her thinking about some information I believe will be able to use," he told them.

Lonnie threw up her hands in frustration, “Why do you have to do that every single time!” she yelled at him. “I’m sick of it, just drop the creeping bad guy monologue routine and tell us what yous found out!”

Nicholas rolled his eyes. The very fact that he had to work with these two moronic dopes little to help him accomplish his task. He looked over at Lonnie and patiently said, "I found out that Max Evans has one real weakness, a weakness we can use to our advantage."

Lonnie walked over toward him, "Yeah so what’s that?" she asked him.

Nicholas narrowed his eyes, "He can be influenced by that other girl. The one with the dark hair, the human girl, Elizabeth Parker." Nicholas told her.
Lonnie looked over at Rath, then back to Nicholas, "Ok so what’s the plan then?"

"The plan," he sneered at her barely able to hide his revulsion, "The plan is both brilliant and simple all at the same time."

“Nicky, I told you. I ain't impressed with this bad guy routine of yours. Stop with the monologue. Sheesh, this ain't flippen batman, you ain’t the joker!” she yelled at him. "Just tell us what yous wants us to do?"

Nicholas scowled at her. She was a pathetic version of her former self. It was clear both Rath and Lonnie had gotten the worst parts of their former selves. Rath who was once a brilliant warrior, capable of impressive tactical planning and supreme leadership ability; was now nothing more than a common street thug. Valandra who was once the most gentle, well-bred, beautiful, and eloquent Princess of Antar was now nothing more than a cold, distrustful, manipulative common human. She was no better than any other human tuff girl who thought too highly of herself. At the end of the day, she was just so much trash that hadn’t been swept away. He looked around at the sewer they called home and shook his head, "This place is disgusting! Why do you stay down here?" Nicholas asked them, completely disregarding her question.

Lonnie glared back at him. "It’s all we got!" she yelled at him as she shoved him. "Now instead of insulting us, why don't you tell us what you want us to do and then you can get out of here since you find it so disgusting," she told him as she clenched her fists.

Nicholas knew better than to get into a fight with Valandra. She was no longer the vulnerable young girl who was so easily deceived back on Antar. Years of living with the guilt and betrayal of what she had done to her brother had hardened her. He knew when she was about to explode that it was time to step back. He smiled and cleared his throat, "I want the two of you to stay here out of my way while I get the Granolith from our friends in Roswell. I have a plan, but it doesn't require your help at this time. I will get the Granolith, and then I will be back for the two of you."

"You better not be lying to us, Nicholas!" Lonnie warned him. "You should know, I still have allies back home. Even though I may not be the Valandra, Khivar wants back by his side; I still can make things really difficult for him."
"Is that a threat?" Nicholas asked her.

She leaned over and whispered in his ear, "Its more than a threat Nicky, it’s a promise." she told him.

Nicholas swallowed hard and smiled, "Let’s play nice, shall we. We both want the same things. After all, once we have the Granolith we all get what we want, you two have a way home and Khivar, and I will finally take control of what is ours."

Lonnie smiled, "Fine, but don't take too long, Nicky boy," she told him as he walked toward the door. “Cause I know a few of your weaknesses too, and I ain’t afraid of exploiting them!”

Nicholas feigned a smile; he did so love pushing her buttons and watching her react. It was such fun being the puppet master and having the power to make others do exactly what you wanted them to. Valandra might talk tough, but he had no doubt that he could bend her to his will if it chose to. “You would do well to remember Lonnie,” he said in very cold and calculated voice. “I hold your future in my hands, not the other way around.” He laughed as he walked out the door, he could he hear screaming expletives at him, but he didn’t care. Lonnie was nothing, she was just yesterday’s trash, and that was all she could ever hope to be.

Zan sat quietly as he hid in the shadows watching and listening to everything that was said by Nicolas and the others. It was to his advantage that they all naively believed that their plan to kill him had worked. None of them had any idea of the true nature of the healing power that he and Max shared. Killing him was not such an easy task as Lonnie and Rath thought it was. Once Zan was sure Nicholas was gone, and it was safe he quietly made his way up out of the sewers. It took every ounce of strength he had not to go back down and kill both of them for their betrayal, but he had a mission to do. There would be time for revenge later. Once he was topside, he made his way to the airport. It was about time he went to Roswell to see Max Evans, the true King of Antar.

Liz waited with Ava as the bus pulled up, "So where are you going to go?" she asked her. She did her best not to sound too motherly. She couldn’t help herself she was going to miss her friend.

Ava shrugged her shoulders, "Not really sure. I thought maybe I might head out to California for a while, live on the beach and just kind of chill. You know take life one day at a time."

Liz smiled, "Sounds like a really good plan," she told her.

"Yeah well, I figure sometime in the sun could be just what I need," Ava told her. “I kinda feel like I need some peace and quiet for a while. You know less alien stuff. I thought I would see what it was like to live like a human for a while. Who knows maybe I’ll even get a job and a place of my own.”

“I think it’s a really good idea, Ava. You deserve a chance to start over with all that you have been through,” Liz told her.

"So you think I look all right?" She asked as she stepped back, gone were the tattoos' piercings, and strange clothes. Ava looked like a whole new person. She was ready for a new life and a new beginning. The only thing she kept was the strikingly dark black hair. Although, she did grow it out for a softer more toned-down look.

Liz smiled, "I think you look amazing. Really, this new look really works for you," she told her. Even though Liz had not known Ava for very long, it was clear she was completely different from Tess. This girl was strong and determined with a real softer side. There was a certain duality to her personality that Liz didn't expect she would have.

Ava smiled, "You don't think the hair is too much, do ya?" she asked as she brushed the long dark hair away from her face. "Zan always used to say I should let it grow out, so I figured why not give it a try, ya know."

Liz could see how much Ava still missed Zan. "It’s perfect. I really like your new look. It’s like your discovering who you are for the first time and you’re ready to start a whole new life. Your hair is beautiful; you look beautiful."

She took in a deep breath and did her best to stead her nerves, "Ok then, I guess it’s time,” she said as she took away from Liz. She looked over at the bus and then back to Liz. "I ain't ashamed to admit; I'm slightly afraid to be on my own. Zan was always there with me from the moment I came out of the pod, ya know. He was always there,” she told her as she tried to hold back the tears.

Liz could see how hard this was for her. She walked over and wrapped her arms around her. “It will all right, you will be all right. Just remember that you are always welcome here," Liz told her as she hugged her goodbye.

Ava laughed, "You’re such a goofball," she told her as she hugged her back.

Liz smiled, "I mean it, Ava. You helped me save Max. I owe you everything, anytime you need anything just call or come here.”

"I didn't do so much," Ava told her. "It was all you, Liz. Max changed ya. I promise things will be different from now on. I know you’re not really ready for it, but things are gonna be real different. So just try and hang on for the ride."

“I will be ok, and I won’t forget what you said,” Liz hugged her one last time. "Now, you have my number to call me and let me know how you are doing, right?"

Ava nodded her head, “I got it.” she told her. “Don't worry; I will be fine. Living on the beach in San Francisco has got to be better than the sewers of New York City.”

Liz wiped the tears from her eyes, “It will be amazing for you,” she encouraged her.

The driver stepped out and called for the passengers to begin boarding, "Well I better go," Ava told her as she turned and walked to the bus. She stopped for just a minute and turned back to Liz. "Don't make the same mistake I did," Ava called out to her. "Tell Max the truth, tell him ya love um and just work it out," she told her just before she got on the bus. “Ya just never know when you won't get that next chance.”

Liz didn't say anything more, but she smiled and waved as the bus pulled away.

Max stood at the airport looking through the crowd for Michael and Maria, while Tess grabbed her backpack. He still couldn't believe everything that had happened. He couldn’t help but blame himself for how Lonnie and Rath had tricked him into thinking that Isabel had turned against him. He took in a deep breath; it felt good to be back in Roswell. He looked over at Tess and smiled, "You doing ok?" he asked her again.

She shook her head, "Yeah I'm ok. I just have few bumps and a minor lingering headache." she told him.

"I'm just glad you’re all right," he told her. "Michael should be here anytime," he said as he glanced down at his watch.

Tess nodded her head, "Good cause I am so looking forward to getting home and crashing in my own bed. The sewers of New York City are not exactly my thing. "

Max smiled, "Yeah, well, all I can say is I am really glad I woke up in Roswell all those years ago and not New York."

Tess’s expression changed as she thought about him and Liz. "So, are you going to go talk with Liz?" she asked him.

Max shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know," he said reluctantly. "I was pretty cold to her when I left for New York."

Tess tried to stifle a yawn. "She did save your life, Max. If she hadn't appeared to you as she did, you would have walked right into their trap. I know, I for one am really glad that you’re all right. I owe her for that much at least.”

Max didn't say anything more as Michael and Maria came up toward them. "I am so glad you decided to wise up and came to your senses. It’s good to have you back here in Roswell where you belong," Maria told Max as she walked up and hugged him.

Max laughed, "Yeah, well the big city is not all it’s cracked up to be," he told her.

Maria smiled, "It never is." she told him as the four of them headed toward the car. “Just so you know, Liz was pretty brave doing what she did.”

Max looked over at her. “I know,” was all he said.

Michael raised his brow, “So things got pretty crazy in New York.”

“That they did,” Max told him.

“What about Lonnie and Rath? Do you think we are going to have trouble from them again?” Michael asked him.

“I don’t think so,” Max told him. “I mean they could have killed Tess, but they didn’t.”

Tess cleared her throat, “That’s only because you showed up. If you didn’t come when you did, Max, I might not have been able to hold them off and then Nicholas would have the Granolith.”

Michael took in a deep breath, “Ok, so, for now, we call this one a win and keep our heads up for any future troubles from those nutjobs.”

Max nodded his head, “That’s exactly what I was thinking,” he said as they reached Maria’s car.

Liz walked back into the Crashdown after dropping Ava off at the bus station. In a very strange way, she felt connected to Ava. They both shared a deep loss in their lives and in many ways, it bonded them in friendship. Ava had lost Zan, and she lost Max. It was like they both understood what the other was going through.

Ava made it easy to like her; she was completely different from Tess. She behaved all hard and distant. But on the inside, where it matters most, she was really a sweet and caring person. It was odd because of the two; Ava was so much more human than Tess ever seemed to be. With Ava she was real, she was genuine. There were no doubts to how deeply she loved Zan. When Ava finally broke down and told Liz how Lonnie and Rath killed Zan her heart ached for her. Having to watch the only guy she ever loved die right in front of her was not something you could just let go of. It would be a long time before she was truly able to move on with her life.

Tess was an entirely different story. She was the exact opposite of Ava; as hard as nails on the inside but always pretending to be so sweet and caring on the outside. Liz thought about the two of them. It was possible, being raised by an alien had hardened Tess to the point that all she knew was self-preservation. Tess professed to love Max, but Liz doubted that she ever truly cared about anyone else in her life except herself. A realization that made it that much harder for her to not say anything to Max about what really happened between her and Kyle.

Liz took in a deep breath and let out a small sigh, so much had happened over the past few days and she felt really drained. Maybe now was not the time to make any major decision’s one way or the other about telling Max what happened. Right now all she really wanted to do was climb into her bed and go to sleep. As she walked through the door of the Crashdown, that plan quickly faded away as she saw the look on her mom’s face. "Hey, Mom, what are you still doing home?”

"I was just finishing cleaning up before we leave for our trip," Nancy answered.

"Mom, it’s your anniversary. You and dad don't want to be late for your flight. Go now, get dad and your suitcase and leave this to me," Liz offered.
"Are you sure honey, because I can finish if you want me to?" Nancy said.

Liz smiled, "Mom I can handle this. You and dad go and have fun," she assured her.

Nancy hugged her, "All right, make sure you lock up before going to bed and just double check to make sure the grill is turned off," she told her then said, "Oh and the sheriff told your father he would have his deputies check things on their patrol just to make sure everything is all right."

"Ok Mom, don't worry I will be fine," she told her.

"Oh and don't forget to put the sign up that we will be closed for the next week while we are away," she reminded her again.

Liz pointed over to the door, "Dad already put it up yesterday," she told her. “Mom, trust me, I am going to be fine.”

Nancy hugged her again, "Oh, all right, I guess I am just being worried over nothing," she told her, "You will be fine."

"Yes, Mom I will. Now please go have fun. Dad springing for this trip to Hawaii is an amazing gift. Please promise you will let everything here go and enjoy yourself for once," Liz told her.

Nancy took in a deep breath, "I will," she said as she began walking toward the kitchen door. "Oh, did your friend get off all right at the bus station?" she asked.

"Yeah, she did," Liz told her.

"I'm glad; she seemed like such a nice girl. Funny how much she looked like that other friend of yours, Tess," Nancy commented. "You said they aren't related at all?"

"Nope, two completely different people," Liz answered trying to think of what to say next. "But then, you know what they say about everyone in the world has a twin somewhere.”

"Yeah, they do say that, don’t they," Nancy laughed as she turned to leave. "All right, I will call you in the morning. Our flight will be getting in late, and I don't want to wake you. Love you."

"Love you too, Mom, have fun," Liz called out as she went back out into the restaurant. She stopped and looked around at the mess. "What I wouldn't give to be able to wave my hand and have all of this disappear," she mumbled to herself. She walked over and began clearing the tables and tried to keep her mind off of Max. She glanced up at the clock; it was already past eight, Michael and Maria probably already picked Max up from the airport. She thought again about everything that had happened, and how Ava told her she was different. The way she had been able to connect with Max was nothing short of amazing. The truth was she was finding it that much more difficult to keep the truth from him now. As she finished clearing the tables, she looked over toward the door and saw Max standing there. She took in a deep breath and walked over to let him in. "I heard you were coming back from New York."

"Yeah, we got home just about an hour ago," he told her, then said, "Listen, Liz, I just wanted to say..." he started but stopped mid-sentence.
"What is it Max?" she asked her voice filled with concern.

He searched her eyes, "I wanted to thank you for saving my life."

Liz smiled, "Yeah, well I guess it makes us even now," she told him, attempting to lighten the mood.

Max took her hand in his. "I also wanted to say that I didn't mean what I said before I left for New York. I was angry and what I said was way out of line. I really do want us to begin again as friends."

Liz could feel her heart racing, "I'd like that."

"I've missed you, missed talking with you," he told her honestly.

Liz looked down at the floor, "I missed that too," she said softly.

Max reached over and lifted her chin, "Liz I have to ask ..." he started to say.

She looked into his eyes, her own shimmering with tears. She took in a deep breath, "Max I..." she began but then stopped and looked away from him, "I can't tell you anything different than I already have," she whispered softly. "Please don't hate me. I don't want to lose you. I can't bear the thought of losing you completely. I’m just not ready to tell you everything."

Max could see she was hurting and he knew deep down that she was keeping something from him, but he decided not to press further. "But will you be ready one day?" he asked her.

She looked back at him and slowly nodded her head, “Yeah, I think so,” she said.

He gently brushed the hair from her face and gazed into her eyes for a moment then leaned over and kissed the top of her forehead. “I will let it gone. I won’t ask again,” he whispered softly before getting up to leave.

She watched as he walked away, her heart breaking a little with each step that he took. Just for a moment, she felt a surge of panic well up inside of her. It was strange feeling like she would never see him again. She couldn't explain it, "Max!" she called out to him, but he just kept on walking unable to hear her. Once he was gone she let the tears flow freely, she wanted to tell him more than anything, but there was just so much at stake. If the events that future Max told her about did become a reality, she would never be able to live with herself for causing Michael and Isabel's death.
Max walked over to his jeep and thought about going back inside, about trying one last time to get her to tell him the truth. He felt like she was so close to telling him what really happened that night but at the last moment she held back. He knew in his heart deep down she loved him still. He knew that she could never have slept with Kyle, but still, the images of the two of them together filled his mind and tormented him. The thing that troubled him the most was he knew Liz was keeping secrets from him, that was something that they had promised one another they would never do. Knowing Liz would break that promise to him, hurt as much as the betrayal he felt over her sleeping with Kyle. He took in a long deep breath and tried to clear his mind. If he was going to be her friend, that part of their relationship had to die forever. He could still feel the battle inside raging over what to do, but he had to find a way just to let go. It was over, and he needed to look to the future, it was the only way he could stop being angry.

(Author note: This is a rewrite of an old story. Is anyone interested in reading or having me post more?)
Last edited by JanieD on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:54 am, edited 8 times in total.
Time is a valuable thing, once spent it is gone forever.
totallizfan
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Choices and Conseqences teen M/L CC 10/14/17

Post by totallizfan »

I like it.
mela3
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by mela3 »

I love it. I love that Max is allowed to feel betrayed by Liz and her lies by omission. We often saw how hard it was for Liz to keep secrets, but we never saw the betrayal Max experienced from knowing the person you love most in the world doesn't trust you enough to tell you the truth.
I like lots of things, but there are three things I like most: love, love... and love

- La Dolce Vita
Natalie36
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Natalie36 »

please post more
JanieD
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter 2 10/15/17

Post by JanieD »

Chapter 2

Tess walked in to the Valenti's house to find Kyle sitting on the couch watching the television. He barely even acknowledged her when she came through the door. She waited for him to say something, but he acted as if she wasn't even there. “Well hello to you too, Kyle,” she said feeling rather disappointed by his lack of joy at seeing her. She had thought that Kyle at least would be the one person who might actually be happy that she didn't fly off to Antar and instead came back to Roswell, but here he was ignoring her.

Kyle glanced over at her, “Oh hey, Tess,” was all he said then he turned his attention back to the game.

“I don't even know why I bother,” she mumbled to herself in disappointment. She looked at him, “You know I could have just stayed in New York!” she said as she picked up her backpack and headed to her bedroom. Once again, the thought of just taking off and leaving them all behind entered into her mind. “Why I bother and hang out with these ungrateful bunch of…” she mumbled to herself as she walked passed him.

“What was that?” he interrupted her.

She stopped and shook her head, “Would it have killed you to…” she began to say when he cut her off again.

“To what?” he asked her.

“I don’t know, pretend to at least care that I have been gone for the past week and that I might not have ever come back!” she snapped at him before turning to go into her room. She opened the door and flipped on the light to see a big bouquet of red roses, balloons, and a welcome home sign. She dropped her bag and smiled. Kyle did care; she turned to see him standing in the doorway. “Oh, Kyle thank you,” she said as she ran over and wrapped her arms around him. “You are the best ever!”

“Yeah well, I missed you,” he told her honestly.

Tess looked into his eyes, “You missed me, Kyle?” she asked him softly.

He cleared his throat and tried to make light of his comment, “Well my dad and I, we both missed you,” he clarified his meaning. “I mean without you here it’s just not the same.”

Tess smiled, she knew he was holding back how he really felt, but it was fine. She still felt so confused about everything that had been going on lately that she was happy just knowing he cared enough to do this for her. “Well thank you for all of this,” she told him as she pulled away and walked over to smell the roses. “I think this is the first time in my life anyone has ever given me flowers before,” she admitted.

Kyle smiled, “Well that’s too bad because you deserve to have someone give you flowers all the time.” he told her.

“That was a really sweet thing to say,” she told him as she kicked off her shoes and climbed on the bed.

Kyle took in a deep breath, “Well I mean it. You’re a special girl, you deserve to have someone give you rose,” he told her.

“Kyle Valenti, you are very charming,” she teased him as she motioned for him to come over and sit down on the bed. “So, tell me what has been going on since we left?”

Kyle laughed and shrugged his shoulders. “Not much; Alex and Isabel ran off together, and I am pretty sure Michael and Maria are living together now.”

She narrowed her eyes in confusion, “What are you talking about?” she asked him.

He laughed, “Nothing, as in nothing has been happening here, it’s Roswell. Not much ever happens here,” he said.

“You are a punk,” she laughed as she grabbed a pillow and held it in front of her.

Kyle leaned back against the wall, “Seriously; nothing happened while you were gone. Well, nothing except for that whole bit where Liz saved Max’s life,” he told her. When she didn’t say anything, he asked, “How was life in the big city? From what I heard things did not go so great for you and Max.”

“When we got there it was pretty clear things weren't the way Lonnie and Rath described them. First off, they live in the sewers; it was completely disgusting,” she told him. “Rath is a complete pig and Lonnie,” she took in a small breath, “Well let’s just say she is ten thousand times more scary than Isabel on her worst day.”

“Sounds pretty bad. I guess my old room isn’t such a dump after all,” he remarked.

“No it's not so bad...” she admitted. “In fact compared to where I stayed over the past weeks it is pretty wonderful.”

Kyle smiled, “So go on tell me what happened. Like I said, I heard from Liz about the attempt on Max's life, but what about you?” he asked his voice filled with concern. “They didn't try to hurt you, did they?”

Tess shook her head, “No, not really,” she said,then continued. “I don't think Nicholas really wanted Max killed either. That was more Lonnie and Rath's doing than it was his. Once Rath got Max and I separated, they took me to Nicholas, and he tried to mind probe me,” she explained.

Kyle expression grew serious, “Did he hurt you?” he asked her.

“Kyle, it hurt so much. It was unlike anything I ever had to deal with before. It so was painful when he was attempting to extract information from me. He wanted to know where the Granolith was but I was able to block him out of my head for the most part, and that really ticked him off,” she told him.

Kyle laughed, “That's my girl. That’s twice now that you have beat Nicholas down. You kicked his sorry little preteen butt to the curb.”

“He might be in the body of a kid, but he is as crazy and ruthless as they come,” Tess told him. "Seriously, he is demented."

Kyle could see that she was still really shaken up by the experience. “Yeah, but you did it, just remember that you fought back and won.”

Tess nodded her head, “You’re right, I hadn't even thought of that,” she said. She chewed her bottom lip and thought about what he said. “Thanks, Kyle that really helps a lot,” she told him.

He smiled, “All right, so tell me what else happened?” he asked her.

“Well once Nicolas figured out he was not going to get the information he wanted from me, he took off with Lonnie and Rath just before Max showed up,” she told him.

Kyle took in a deep breath and rolled his eyes. “So Max came riding in once again like the white knight in shining armor to save the day.”

Tess took the pillow and threw it at him. “Not exactly like that,” she told him, then said, “But he did find me, and then we came back to Roswell just after that.”

Kyle stood up and walked over to the door. He turned and looked over at her. “Well, I’m just really glad you're back. I really did miss you,” he said before leaving and closing the door.

Liz finished clearing off the tables and wiping them all down. She looked up at the clock. It was just before eleven. She was so tired, but Max was still on her mind. She couldn't stop thinking about what Ava had said to her just before she got on the bus. She thought about how close she had come to losing him and this feeling she kept having all night that she was never going to see him again. What if something did happen to one of them and he never did know the truth. She took in a deep breath and picked up her cell phone, “Hey Max; it’s me. I know it’s really late and you're probably already asleep, but I just had to call you,” she said pausing for a moment. “About tonight, you asked me about Kyle, and I said I wasn’t ready...” she said hesitating for a moment. “Max, I just want you to know that there are things I want to tell you. Things that I desperately need to tell you but I'm just so confused, you know. I really wish you were here and we could just…”

"Hello, Miss Parker, it’s been awhile," Nicholas said as he came through the front door of the Crashdown. He looked around the restaurant and smiled, “Everything looks exactly the same. I almost feel as if I never left.”

A chill ran down Liz’s spine as she turned around to see Nicholas standing in front of her. "What are you doing here? What do you want...” Liz demanded to know as she backed away and dropped her phone.

Nicholas walked over and picked up the phone. “I’m rather disappointed. I expected a nicer welcome than that,” he said sarcastically as he took her phone and threw it against the wall.

“I don't know what you want but Max will…” she began to say when he cut her off.

“Max will do exactly as he is told and hand over the Granolith if he ever wants to see you again,” he told her. “He made a really big mistake in New York thinking he could mess with me. I was going to play nice, but now I’m angry! Trust me you won’t like it when I’m angry.”

Liz did her best to keep calm. She stood her ground. “Max will never give you the Granolith, Nicholas. You might as well just leave!”

Nicholas laughed, “I beg to disagree. I think he will give it to me. In fact, I know he will. See, I know that Max Evans loves you. I know that he will do anything to keep you safe and I plan on using that love to get exactly what I want from him," Nicholas told her as he walked towards her.

Liz screamed for help as she tried to run for the back door. As she ran past the counter, she knocked over the dishes left there. Before she could reach the door, Nicholas held out his hand and instantly a force of energy hit her, leaving her completely incapable of moving. “Boys, bring Miss Parker over and sit her down here,” he said pointing over at one of the bar stools at the counter.

Two of skins tied her hands and carried her over to the counter. “You better do as he says,” one of them warned her.

Nicolas smiled deviously, “Let’s not make this harder than it has to be,” he taunted her. “Unless of course, you like the rough stuff.”

Liz’s eyes flashed with anger, "You make me sick! I will never help you!"

Nicholas grabbed hold of her face and began squeezing as hard as he could. “Now that was not a very nice thing to say was it!” he snapped at her in anger. “You would do well to remember two very important things, Miss Parker. First and foremost, do not ever let this body I am in now fool you. I’m not a child to be trifled with. Second, be assured that I have killed many times before. In fact, I don’t mind killing anyone if they get in my way. I actually kind of like it!”

Liz could feel her heart pounding in her chest. She was terrified of him, but she did her best not to show it. She tried to pull away from him, but as he said he was not a child. He had incredible strength, and she was unable to free herself. “What do you want from me?”

Nicholas smiled. "I already told you what I want. Really, Miss Parker, do try to keep up. I want the Granolith, and you’re going to help me get it,” he told her again.

“I will never help you!” she told him. “I don’t know where it is! I don’t know anything about it!”

Nicholas laughed, “Maybe not willingly, but I have my methods,” he sneered at her. Liz trembled just a little and tried again to free herself from his grasp. “Now sit still! I've had a long day, and I'm not in the mood for your pathetic attempts to fight me.” He placed his hand over Liz's head, "You see, Miss Parker,” he said in a cold and calculated voice, “When I was in New York with your boyfriend and his crazy wife I found out some very interesting information about you.”

Liz didn't say anything; she was too frightened. Nicholas jerked her head around, “Aren’t you going to ask me what I found out?” he taunted her. “Aren't you in the least bit curious?”

Liz tried to pull away from him, “You're hurting me,” she cried out in pain.

Nicholas laughed, “I know I am,” was all he said before he continued talking. “When I probed Tess’s mind I found out that Max wouldn't turn over the Granolith because of you. You warned him not to. Imagine my surprise; it seems you had some information about it that made him think it wouldn't be safe in my hands.”

“It isn't safe in your hands,” she yelled at him as he continued to apply pressure to her head.

Nicholas took in a deep breath and narrowed his eyes. “Of course, it’s not, but how could you know that? How could you possibly know anything at all about the Granolith?”

When she didn't answer, he continued. “Well I have to tell you, Miss Parker, it sure did spark my curiosity. So here I am, and now you are going to give me some answers whether you want to or not.”

Liz cried out from the pain as he forcibly held her head in place, “Now, I wasn't able to find out where the Granolith is located from Tess,” he lamented in frustration. “Somehow, she was able to block me out. It was actually kind of impressive, but I digress.”

Tears streamed down Liz’s face as waves of pain throbbed inside her head. Nicholas pulled her closer to him. “I did, however, find out that you are very important to Max Evans. In fact, Tess believes you are the only one he would give up the Granolith for. She believes he would do just about anything for you,” he said as he looked intently into her eyes.

Liz struggled to pull away from him. “Max will never give you the Granolith,” she cried out as the pain intensified. “Besides Tess is wrong he doesn't care about me, not anymore.”

Nicholas took in a deep breath and let out a heavy sigh, “Now Miss Parker, I really do hope for your sake that is not true. Cause if it is, you’re going to die a very slow and extremely painful death,” he said, his voice was devoid of any feeling or emotion. Nicholas closed his eyes and held Liz’s head with both hands. "Now hold very still,” he warned her then laughed callously, “Because I promise this is going to hurt really bad..."

Flashes of Max went through Liz's mind. Everything that had happened over the last few weeks played out like a movie in her head. Max coming from the future, the Granolith’s power used as a time travel device, having to push Max to be with Tess, and faking that she slept with Kyle. Nicholas saw it all, as he finished probing Liz’s mind he laughed. "That's perfect! That’s better than I could have ever hoped for,” he told her as he let go of her.

Liz slumped forward as the pain continued throbbing in her head and blood dripped from her nose. Nicholas lifted her chin as her head flopped backward. “You really are a very clever girl,” he said his voice filled with delight. “Really, I am impressed that you, a mere human have discovered a way to use the Granolith that we did not even know it was capable of. Time travel, how perfect,” he told her as he walked over and poured himself soda from the machine. “This has truly been an interesting get-together. My only complaint is that you don't know where the Granolith is. I suppose that would have made things to easy. I mean what fun would it be if I did not have to work at it a little bit,” he sipped his soda. “Overall I am very pleased with how things have gone so far.” Nicholas walked over to the front of the Crashdown and looked out the window. "I wonder,” he said only pausing briefly, “I wonder if our noble king would have traveled back in time and made you do all these things to save the world if he had known it would end up like this?”

Liz shook with anger as fresh tears streamed down her face. She used every ounce of strength she had to lift her head and look at him. “Max did what he had to do to save us all.”

Nicholas waved his hand in the air as if to dismiss her statement. “Yes, yes, of course, he did, but in the process, he sacrificed you! How does that make you feel? I mean you are supposed to be his one true love, and he just tossed you aside so he could be with his ex. That must have hurt just a little bit,” he taunted her without mercy.

Liz sniffled in, “It wasn't like that! He didn't want to be with Tess. He had no choice,” she said as fresh tears shimmered in her eyes.

Nicholas laughed sarcastically, “Oh, of course, he had a choice! There is always a choice. Don't be so naïve, Miss Parker!” he yelled at her as he walked back over and held her face in his hands. “Max had you and found that wasn’t enough so he came back in time and messed with your mind, played with your heart and worked it all out so he could have his cake and eat it too!”

“Max isn't like that!” she yelled at him as her fear began to turn to anger.

Nicholas glared at her, “I know who and what Max is,” he told her, his voice filled with anger. “I have known him for a very long time. Trust me when I say; he had a choice!”

Liz sniffled in as she forced herself to stop crying. “Think whatever you like, I don't care! I know the truth. Max had to come back! It was the only way to save us all from the likes of you!”

Nicholas stopped and looked intently into her eyes. He tilted his head and whispered softly. “I will say this much for you, Miss Parker, you are at least loyal. You did what you did out of love for him. You were faithful, that is a rare quality,” he told her as he thought about the princess. “Valandra wasn't loyal,” he commented out loud. “She was easily manipulated and deceived. In many ways she was weak. Do not misunderstand me, she was incredibly beautiful, but she was weak. You, on the other hand, you are very different.”

Liz tried to pull her head away from him, but he held her in place. “But you did exactly what you had to out of love and devotion. You made the younger Max think that you slept with the other guy just so that he would achieve his destiny and be with his queen.” Seeing the disdain in her eyes, he continued, “No really, Miss Parker, it was completely unselfish of you to sacrifice your own happiness the way you did. You gave up the love of your life, just to help Max and the others,” he said as he gently brushed the hair from her face. “We don’t have that kind of love on my planet, not anymore. I must say it intrigues me.”

Liz didn’t say anything as he released her. He picked up a napkin and wiped the blood from her nose. “Sorry, about that. It’s a little side effect of my probing your brain.” He walked away from her. “I suppose Max doesn't know any of this, does he? He doesn’t know that you’re the dutiful little human that you are. I bet you have suffered with all this alone. Literally carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders," Nicholas told her as he walked over toward the kitchen doorway and looked into the dark empty room.

Liz’s vision cleared as the pain in her head began to dull, "What I feel for Max is beyond anything you could ever possibly understand.”

Nicholas spun back around and laughed as he walked back over to her, “Well you're right about that. As I said, love is a foreign concept to me, but I am willing to learn,” he said as he leaned in and whispered in her ear. “In fact, I am quickly learning just what a powerful tool it can be against my enemies.”

Liz narrowed her eyes in anger and disgust. “You will never get the Granolith. Max won't ever give it to you. I wouldn't want him to; no matter what you do to me!”

"Those are very brave words, Miss Parker. Let’s see if you still feel that way in a day or two after I have probed your brain of every ounce of life in it," Nicolas told her then said to the skins. "Bring her with us.”

Liz struggled to free herself from the two skins that took hold of her. She kicked over some chairs and more dishes in the process as she did her best to get free. "No! Please!" She screamed in between sobs. “Please help me!” she screamed out, but there was no one to hear her. Nicholas shoved Liz kicking and crying into the back of a van. He reached his hand up and hit her hard across the cheek. The force of the blow knocked her backward. “I really don't want to hear you screaming the entire way. You will be quiet,” he told her. Liz’s cheek burned with intense pain as her nose gushed blood. Tears filled her eyes as she could feel her cheek beginning to swell.

Nicholas stopped for a moment, “I almost forgot, we need to leave Max a message, so he knows what happened to his darling little pet,” he said out loud. He walked back into the Crashdown then held his hand out in front of him. Moments later the words appeared burned into the top of the counter. “You have something of mine, Max; now I have something of yours. I will be in touch!”

Zan stood in the back of the Crashdown just behind the kitchen door listening to what went on. He had followed Nicholas to Roswell hoping to find Max, but after what he had heard he decided this girl was now his top priority. If Liz really did have knowledge on how to turn the Granolith into a time-traveling device, then he needed to be sure that Nicholas never got his hands on it no matter what that meant. Saving Liz and ensuring that Max did not turn over the Granolith was his mission now. Zan waited as the van began pulling away before he stepped out of the shadows and got on his motorcycle following them. He couldn't chance letting Nicholas get away with Liz, not now that he knew who she was.
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Choices and Conseqences teen M/L CC Chapter 2 10/15/17

Post by keepsmiling7 »

I am loving this.......thanks for bringing it to us!

Nicholas really was a creepy bad guy.
Ava and Liz's relationship was a good one, too bad we didn't see more on TV.
Yes, a beach in SF is much better than the sewers in NYC.
Thanks,
Carolyn
Last edited by keepsmiling7 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
roswell4life
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by roswell4life »

Loving this!!! Please post more!!! :D
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Great to have a new Story...Oh, this vermin named Nicholas merits to be eliminated for ever! At least, Zan knows where she will be taken prisoner and even maybe help her! Hopefully... Waiting for more... Thanks EVE :mrgreen:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
JanieD
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Choices and Conseqences teen M/L CC Chapter 310/17/2017

Post by JanieD »

Chapter 3

Max walked into his bedroom and sighed heavily. He was exhausted after the long flight home. More than anything he just wanted to crawl into bed and sleep for the next twelve hours. He threw his gear into the corner and kicked off his shoes. He was just about to lay down when he heard a knock at his door. “Come in,” he called out.

Isabel opened the door and stepped inside. "Hey, Max, I just wanted you to know that I’m glad you’re back.”

Max smiled. “It’s good to be back,” he told her then asked. “So what did you tell mom and dad?”

Isabel shrugged her shoulders, “Well as you can imagine they were not exactly happy that you just took off without saying anything to them,” she said.

Max nodded his head, “I’m sure they were both pretty upset.”

Isabel sighed. “That’s putting it mildly. Mom began ranting, and Dad was just about to call the sheriff, but I stopped him. I did not want the sheriff having to cover for us any more than he already does.

“He probably appreciated that, I’m sure,” Max commented.

“I think he did,” she told him, then continued. “Anyway, I told him that you had to go out of town suddenly for the museum. That they sent you to Wyoming to pick up some newly discovered artifacts and that it was a really great opportunity for you. I said the museum paid for the entire trip and that it offered you a chance of making some overtime. Of course, a few well-timed fake cell phone calls pretending that you were trying to reach them helped to make them believe you were actually where I said you were.”

“Did they really believe that I was in Wyoming?” he asked her.

“I think so,” she told him. “Of course, mom did wonder why it was you were always out whenever she wanted to call you back. I just told her Mr. Brody was keeping you really busy, and you probably couldn’t pick up.”

“Well as long as they don't ever ask Brody about my trip I should be fine,” he told her. After a minute he looked over at her and laughed. “Wyoming? Really, was that the best you could come up with? I mean have you ever even heard of a UFO sighting in Wyoming before?

Isabel laughed, “I don’t know. I had to think of something and Wyoming just kind of came to mind. I mean it’s wide open spaces with very little cell phone coverage, isn’t it? It seemed like a good place at the time.”

Max nodded his head. “I suppose so.”

“Well it worked, and Mom believed it, so that’s all that matters,” she said before she walked over and sat down on the end of his bed. “About what happened, you know with Lonnie and Rath,” she started to say, “I hope you know now that wasn't me who said all those things to you.”

Max took in a deep breath, “I know it wasn't you, Isabel. But you still should have been the one to tell me the truth about Valandra.”

Isabel nodded her head. “You’re absolutely right about that. I shouldn't have kept secrets from you, and I’m sorry that I did. I was just so ashamed of what they said Valandra did that I didn't know how to tell you or Michael,” she explained as tears filled her eyes. “I was the one who got us all killed. I was the one who betrayed you,” she mumbled softly. “Just knowing at one time, I was capable of something like that. I just didn’t want to face the truth.”

Max took her hand in his, "Isabel I know it must have been really confusing to hear all that stuff, but I hope you know now that you don't have to be afraid to tell me anything. I mean it. You’re my sister, and I will always be here for you," Max told her as he squeezed her hand gently. “Besides you are not Valandra, trust me. I just spent several days with her, and you are nothing like her. A fact, that I am extremely thankful for.”

Isabel smiled. “Does that apply to you too?” she asked him as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

Max's eyes narrowed, “What do you mean?” he asked her.

“I guess what I am trying to say is, you’re not Zan either,” she told him. “You’re Max Evans, and you have the freedom to make your own destiny. You don't have to follow some preset plan for your future.”

He sighed heavily, “Now you’re talking about Liz and Tess,” he guessed.

Isabel hesitated for just a moment before she asked, “Have you talked to her yet?”

“I stopped off and saw her for a few minutes,” he said, then added. “We agreed to be friends.”

“Is that what you want?” Isabel asked him.

“It doesn't seem to matter what I want at this point,” he told her in frustration.

"Max, I am not totally clear on what happened between the two of you, but I do know that she was willing to do anything to save you. She was the one who convinced Ava to tell us the truth about Lonnie and Rath. She really put herself out there for you," Isabel told him trying to convince him that it was true.

Max got up and walked over to his dresser. He picked up a small picture frame that held a photo of himself and Liz together. "Seeing her appear like that in New York was one of the reasons I knew I had to come back here. It just confirmed to me that I still had unfinished business here. When I saw her, I knew I wasn't ready to leave my life behind. I know no matter what has happened, that you, Michael, and the others matter to me more than anything else. I just couldn't walk away from family," Max told her as he returned the picture to the dresser and walked back over to his bed.

“And Liz, does that include her too?” Isabel asked.

Max sat down and shrugged his shoulders, “Honestly at this point, I just don’t know. I want things with Liz to be different, but she is holding something back from me, and I don't know what it is or why. I can't make her talk to me if she doesn’t want to. All I know at this point is I want her in my life still, so being friends seems to be the answer for now.”

Isabel knew he was hurting. “I wish I knew what to say to help but the truth is I don’t. If it makes any difference, if it helps in any way, I’m sure she still loves you. No one can deny that after what she did the other night,” she told him as she stood up and walked over to the door. “Maybe just give it some more time and don't be in such a big hurry with Tess. Maybe, just maybe Liz is your destiny and not Tess,” she said before closing the door.

Max laid his head back and closed his eyes. All he wanted now was some sleep. He didn't want to think about Liz or Tess; he just wanted to block it all out and sleep.

Liz knew they had driven for a long time. It had been at least a few hours, maybe more, she wasn't really sure. She watched for any signs of familiarity to know where Nicholas had taken her but it was so dark that it made seeing difficult. Once the van came to a stop, she heard Nicholas bark out orders to the skins. She tried to take in as much of her surroundings as she could in order to figure out a way to escape. As she was pulled from the back of the van, she saw several rundown buildings. She was sure they were out in the middle of nowhere. Two skins led her into an old abandon warehouse and pushed her into a small room that wasn't much bigger than a closet. There was only one small window above the door that led in or out of the room, her hopes for escaping were vanishing quickly.

She turned around as Nicholas came into the room. “Where is this place?” she demanded to know.

Nicholas laughed. “Where we are, doesn’t really matter, Miss Parker. What does matter is this, you’re going to behave yourself and keep quiet while I go and get some things done. Because if you don’t, I’m going to come back here and make you regret it,” he warned her.

Liz stood her ground. “Max will find me, you know?” she taunted him. “There's not a doubt in my mind that he will find me, and when he does, you will regret ever coming to Roswell.”

Nicholas laughed. His voice was filled with a mixture of cold-hearted confidence, and extreme irritation, “I highly doubt that!” He walked over and grabbed Liz by the hair. He pulled her head back until she had no choice but to look him directly in the eyes. “I think this is all going to play out very differently. Max is going to hand over the Granolith! Then I’m going to slowly and painfully kill him and all your friends,” he smiled sadistically. “Finally after I’m all done wiping out everyone and everything Max Evans ever cared about; I am going to take you and the Granolith with me back to Antar. I am going to squeeze out every bit of information I can find from your weak little human brain until I know exactly how you were able to manipulate the Granolith’s power to make time travel possible!” He said as he shoved her down to the cold, damp floor and let go of her hair.

Liz leaned her head up against the wall and closed her eyes. Tears slid down her cheeks as she thought about her parents and her friends. She thought about how they would react when they found out she was gone. Her heart ached because she would have no way of warning them that they could be walking into a potential trap. The sound of the door slamming shut startled her. Her eyes flew open, and she flinched just a little as the lock fell into place. She could hear Nicholas telling the skins to keep watch over her. She heard him say that he had to contact Khivar. She closed her eyes again and thought about Max; she needed him so much right now. She blinked her eyes and did her best to keep the tears from falling. She knew she had to be strong if she was going to make it through this.

Zan waited until the dust settled on the road; then he ditched his motorcycle near the turn off that Nicholas had taken. The area was too desolate to follow any further on the bike so he would have to hike the rest of the way on foot. He only hoped that it wasn't that far and he was able to get to Liz in time. He looked at his watch; it was just after 2:00 A.M. At least he would still have the cover of darkness to sneak in by. He grabbed his backpack and headed down the road.

The sheriff pulled up outside the back of the Crashdown. the back door was wide open, but the lights were all off inside. It wasn't like Liz to be so careless about security. He called out to her as he walked in. “Liz, are you here? It’s the sheriff,” he waited, but there was no answer. He flipped on the lights and furrowed his brow. Everything seemed fine as he walked over toward the stairs. “Liz, it’s the sheriff. I'm just checking on things. You left the back door open,” he called out again, but still, there was no answer. He was beginning to get an uneasy feeling as he walked up the stairs. He turned on the lights and went from one room to the next calling out to Liz as he did. When no one answered, he went back down to the restaurant. His worst fears were confirmed as he walked through the kitchen door, the place was a mess. There were broken dishes on the floor, with tables and chairs knocked over everywhere. He was just about to call it in when he caught sight of a message burned across the top of the counter. It left little doubt who was responsible for this. The sheriff took out his phone and called Max.

Max rolled over and felt something underneath him on the bed, he reached down barely awake and picked up his cell phone. He must have forgotten to take it out of his pocket when he laid down. He reached over to place his phone on the nightstand, but as he did, he felt it vibrate. He struggled to sit up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes; he looked at the phone there was a message from Liz. Looking at what time it was, he realized that he had forgotten to turn his phone back on after the plane landed in Roswell. He stifled a yawn and hit the message button to see what she wanted. As he listened, his eyes opened wider in panic, and he jumped up out of bed. He hurried to pull on his jeans as he heard her voice, she sounded so upset, she was pleading for help, and then the line went dead. All he could think of was getting to her as soon as possible. He pulled on his shirt and shoes and was about to head for the door when his phone went off again.

He prayed it was her as he answered, “Liz! Are you all right?”

“Max, it’s the sheriff. We have a problem at the Crashdown, you need to get over here right away,” he told him.

“Is Liz all right?” he asked him his voiced filled with concern.

“I don’t know,” the sheriff told him. “I’m pretty sure someone has taken her. I think you better get over here as soon as you can.”

“I’m on my way,” he said just before he hung up the phone. His heart was racing as grabbed his keys. He went into to tell Isabel what was happening, “Isabel, wake up!” he called out to her.

“Max what is it?” she asked half awake. “What’s going on?”

“I have to get to the Crashdown. The sheriff called, someone has kidnapped Liz,” he told her trying his best to hold it together. “The sheriff is there now he said I should get there as fast as I can.”

Isabel jumped up and pulled on her sweat jacket, grabbed her shoes and followed after him. “I'm coming with you,” she told him as they climbed out his window and got into the jeep. Max drove as fast as he could to the Crashdown. He pulled up to the back of the restaurant and ran in through to the kitchen. “Sheriff!” he called out as he came into the restaurant with Isabel.

The sheriff was just getting off of the phone when he heard Max and Isabel arriving. “I called Maria to see when she last heard from Liz,” he told them then both. “She’s letting the others know what’s happened here tonight.”

Max looked around the room, then over to the counter where the message had been burned into the countertop, “Nicholas did this! It has to be him. He came here and took Liz because I wouldn’t surrender the Granolith to him.”

Isabel ran her hands through her hair and shook her head. “How is that possible, Max? You just left him in New York City. How could he even know to come here for Liz?” she asked as she looked around at the mess. “None of this makes any sense!”

Max shook his head trying to think. “I don't know, maybe Lonnie and Rath said something to him. Maybe he realized how much she means to me,” he said trying to keep control of his emotions. “I don’t know, but I know it was him!”

The sheriff walked over and picked up one of the chairs. “Maria said she last heard from Liz early this evening not long after she and Michael dropped you and Tess off. She said Liz had taken Ava to the bus stop and that she came back here and was cleaning up after closing so her parents could get off on time for their vacation.”

“Mr. and Mrs. Parker aren’t here?” Isabel asked him.

The sheriff shook his head. “No, Jeff bought tickets to Hawaii. It was a surprise for their anniversary. He asked me to check in on Liz, that’s how I found out what was going on.”

Max walked over toward the soda machine; he noticed Liz's cell phone laying on the floor. “This explains why her phone went dead,” he said picking up the broken pieces and handing them over to the sheriff. “Liz tried to call me around eleven o'clock and left me a message. Before she could finish, she was interrupted, and I could hear her crying out for help. My phone was off, so I didn't get her message until just before you called,” he said in frustration.

The sheriff glanced down at his watch. “That gives Nicholas, or whoever it is that took her, a few hours head start. Judging by this message that was left here, whoever it is wants the Granolith, and they plan to exchange Liz for it.”

Max shook his head in disbelief, “This is all my fault,” he mumbled, “I should have been here. I should have protected her from that monster,” he said as he walked over to the window and looked outside into the darkness. He could feel his temper rising as he thought about what Nicholas might do to her. He took in a deep breath and forced himself to hold it together.

“Max you can't think like that. It won’t do Liz or us any good to have you blaming yourself,” he told him. “Right now, Liz needs you. We have to figure out where he would have taken her.”

Max turned back toward the sheriff. “He probably wouldn't go far,” he said as he walked back over toward them. “He would want to be close enough to make the exchange for the Granolith.”

Isabel walked over and wrapped her arm around Max. “What did Liz say in her message?” she asked him just as the others came rushing into the Crashdown.

Maria took one look around the restaurant and gasped. She was clearly shaken, “What happened here?” she demanded to know.

The sheriff sighed and shook his head, “I’m sorry Maria, it looks like Nicolas has kidnapped Liz.”

“Why! Why would he do that!” she cried out as tears filled her eyes.

“He left a message, he wants the Granolith,” Isabel told her.

Maria walked over to the counter, after reading it she began to tremble, “What are we going to do? We have to do something! We can’t let that psycho kill her?” she told them as tears rolled down her cheeks.

Michael walked over and wrapped his arms around her, then looked over at Max. “So what do we know so far about what happened here tonight?” he asked him.

“Just that sometime around eleven Nicholas came and took Liz. She tried to call me, but my phone was off, so I didn't get the call,” he told them.

Alex looked over at Max. He was clearly angry. “Well the answer is easy then, you have to give him the Granolith. We can't take a chance that he will do something to Liz. When he calls you give it to him?”

Tess took in a deep breath and shook her head. “I’m sorry, but it’s not that easy. We can't just give him the Granolith,” she said reluctantly. She knew what the others would think, but it had to be said.

“Why the hell not, this is Liz we are talking about!” Alex snapped at her. “I don't care about your alien issues right now! Liz’s life is at stake, and we have to do whatever it takes to get her back.”

Isabel walked over to Alex and took his hand in hers. She looked into his eyes and whispered softly, “Alex, I know you’re worried about Liz, but the Granolith has untold power. In the wrong hands, it could be deadly. If we give it to Nicholas, there is no knowing what he would do with it.”

Alex pulled away from her. He was angry and not about to be swayed by Isabel. “I really don’t care, it doesn't matter!” he told her. “This is Liz we are talking about. She has gone through hell for you people; she deserves better than this and we are not going to abandon her to that freak!”

“Nobody is suggesting that Alex,” Tess snapped at him. “But we can’t just hand over a possible doomsday device to him either!”

“You don’t know what the Granolith is. You have no idea if it’s a ship of some kind or a weapon!” he yelled at her, his voice filled with frustration. “None of you even knew it was there until a few months ago. You don't know what it really is and we can't risk Liz's life because you think it’s a weapon of some kind.”

Michael looked over at Max, “What’s it going to be, Maxwell?” he asked him.

Max was just about to answer when Maria cleared her throat. “As much as I hate to say this, Tess is right. We can't give the Granolith to Nicholas,” she told them. “Even Liz would tell us not to give it to Nicholas.”

Tess nodded her head, “She's right,” she told them. “After all, it was Liz who warned Max about it in the first place. She told Max that he couldn't let Nicholas have the Granolith.”

Michael looked at Max; his eyes narrowed. “How’s that possible if we don't know what the thing is, how could Liz know.”

“I don’t know,” he said. “Liz wouldn't tell me how she knew, only that she knew it was dangerous and we couldn’t let it fall into Nicholas’s hands,” he told them as he looked over at Kyle, “I am pretty sure it has something to do with what happened between the two of you, though.”

“Me?” Kyle looked at him in disbelief. “I don't know anything about the Granolith.”

Max looked intently at him. “You need to tell us everything that you know about why Liz wanted to end things with me because I am pretty sure it’s all connected.”

Kyle looked at Max with disbelief in his eyes. "Honestly, I don't know anything except what she told me that night,” he told them. “When Liz asked me to help her out she didn't tell me why. I just thought it was to get back at you for a fight you to where having or something. I didn't even know that you still believed that we were ever together. I figured she would have told you the truth about it by now. Max, I swear, I don't know anything."

Max shook his head in disbelief. “She must have told you something!” he yelled. She must have said why she was doing what she was doing. Come on; you had to wonder what she was up to and why she was doing what she was?”

“If I knew anything I would tell you,” Kyle snapped at him. “I don't want to see anything happen to Liz either! I wish I knew what was going on. I wish I could be of help here, but honestly, I don't have a clue. She didn’t tell me anything that night.”

Max was just about to protest further when Maria interrupted him. “Max! Kyle doesn’t know anything, but I do,” she told him as she wiped her eyes. “I know what really happened, and why Liz did what she did. She told me everything.”

Michael took in a deep breath and shook his head in frustration. “You know what has been really going on, and you didn’t tell me?” he demanded to know.

Maria looked into his eyes and nodded her head. “Yes,” she admitted.

“Maria if you think anything that Liz told you back then could help us now, you have got to tell us,” the sheriff encouraged her. “This could save her life.”

Maria looked over at Max. “I’m so sorry for keeping this from you, but Liz made me promise not to tell anyone. She said Michael and Isabel's life depended on you never knowing the truth so I went along with it. I didn’t want to. I told her we should tell the rest of you what happened but she was so upset, and she didn’t want to see anything happened to Isabel or Michael. So I kept it all a secret.”

“Maria you have to tell us everything,” Max said. “Liz's life depends on it now.”

She sniffled in as fresh tears formed in her eyes, “It happened back in October.” she began to say.

Michael ran his hands through his hair, “Maybe you should just give the short version!” he snapped at her impatiently.

“Michael you’re not helping here,” Isabel warned him. “Just let Maria tell us what happened as Liz related it to her, okay?”

Michael shook his head again in frustration, “Fine whatever, just get on with it.”

Maria sniffled in again as she walked over to the counter to sit down. She knew Michael was ticked off at her, but she would deal with that later. Right now her friend was all that mattered. “As I said, it happened back in October. Liz was home by herself. We had just gotten back from seeing the fortune teller, and she was actually feeling really positive about the future she thought the two of you could have.”

Alex nodded his head, “Yeah, I remember that. She said the fortune teller told her she was going to marry the one she loves or something like that.”

“Yeah, that’s right,” Maria said before continuing. “She said she was up in her room just kind of daydreaming and feeling generally positive for a change when things got really strange. She saw this bright flash of light, and this really crazy wind came up. She said it really freaked her out and then she saw Max standing there,” she told them. “Except it wasn’t our Max, it was Max from the future. He told her he came back from the year 2031. He traveled through time using the Granolith. Liz said that he,” she paused, and turned to looked over at Max. “She called the future version of you, future Max,” Maria explained so they could keep it all straight. “Liz said that future Max told her that if she didn't end her relationship with you now; that in 14 years your enemies will take over the world. Life as we know it would come to an end. The aliens take over the planet, and humans become slaves to Khivar. She said that Isabel and Michael were killed by the skins in this future war that will happen if the two of you stay together. Future Max told her that this all happens because Tess couldn't handle seeing you and Liz together. Eventually, Tess just leaves Roswell and when she does that leaves the three of you vulnerable and weak.”

Isabel wasn't sure she was understanding. “Why would Tess's leaving make us vulnerable?” she asked her.

Maria shrugged her shoulders. “I'm not really sure. Liz said future Max told her something about the three of you not being as strong because the balance was no longer complete. I guess that in order for your powers to work at their full strength the four of you have to be together,” she told them. “So when Tess left Roswell, it made the three of you weaker, and you lost everything. Liz said that as their last hope, her future self and some friend she hasn’t even met yet named Serena worked together to harness the energy of the Granolith. She said they used that energy to turn the Granolith into a time-traveling device.”

“So after Liz and this Serena person discover time travel, she sends Maxwell back in time to tell her present self to end things?” Michael asked.

Maria nodded her head, “Future Max said Liz had to break things off between them. He told her he had to be with Tess or the world would end. He said he watched Michael and Isabel die right before his eyes. So Liz pretended to sleep with Kyle so that this version of himself would end things with her and turn to Tess to full fill his destiny.”

Alex shook his head in disbelief. “This doesn't make any sense? Liz is smart, but time travel is not possible. Something more is going on here.”

Kyle rolled his eyes. “Come on Alex, just because we don’t think it’s possible doesn’t make it so. I mean none of us thought aliens were real either,” he said sarcastically.

Maria threw her hands up in the air in frustration. “It doesn't matter, does it. That sicko has Liz!” she snapped at them both. “What matters is that Liz believed it was true. She gave up everything to protect the rest of us. She threw away her only chance at happiness with you, Max. She trashed her own reputation at school by pretending to sleep with Kyle, and she did it all without ever complaining or asking why,” Maria told them, as her voice trembled. She wiped her eyes and shook her head. “She just knew we needed her and she did what she had to do because that’s the kind of friend she is.”

Max was stunned, he felt like the wind had been knocked out of him. Liz's life was in danger because of him. He created this whole mess. His heart beat faster as he realized what this all meant. “Is it possible Nicholas knows that she someday makes the Granolith capable of time travel?” he mumbled out loud.

Tess hesitated for a moment, then said, “If he probes her mind he can find out whatever he wants to from her,” she told him. “It took everything I had in me to block him. I had to distract myself with…” she stopped suddenly as she realized how Nicholas found out about Liz. “Let’s just say his really strong and Liz won't be able to withstand his assault on her mind.”

Max looked over to the sheriff. “What do we do?”

Maria could see the pain in his eyes, “I’m so sorry. If I had told you right away about Liz maybe we wouldn't be here right now. If I had known any of this was going to happen I would have made Liz tell you the truth," Maria told Max.

"It's not your fault, Maria. It's not anyone's fault but mine. I caused all of this," Max told her.

“Stop it!” Isabel yelled at them both. “Just stop it! None of this is any of our faults. Khivar and Nicholas are the only two to blame for the situation Liz is in. We can’t afford to sit around here blaming ourselves,” she said, then turning to Michael she emphasized, “Or each other. Right now Liz needs us, so the blame game can wait. Right now we need to focus.”

“She's right, Max, if all of this is true, then we have to come up with a plan to get Liz back without turning over the Granolith,” the sheriff told him.

Max shook his head, “I know but I don't know what to do.” he told them.

The sheriff looked back over to Maria, “Can you remember, did Liz say anything else. Anything at all that might help us?” he asked her.

Maria tried to think, “Not that I can remember.” she told them.

Max began walking toward the kitchen door, “Liz kept a journal, maybe there is more in there, maybe there is something that can help us.”

Maria wiped her eyes, “I know where she kept it. I'll show you,” she said as she headed into the kitchen and up the stairs.

Tess grabbed Max by his arm as he passed by her, "Max I'm so sorry. I had no idea that when Liz came to me about us,” she paused for a moment, “about helping the two of us get together that this was what was really going on."

“Isabel’s right now’s not the time for that,” was all he said as he walked past her and went upstairs. Max didn’t have time to think about how keeping secrets from one another had brought them to this place. All he knew was he wanted more than anything to make sure Liz was safe. He fought to keep his emotions under control as he walked into her room. “So were you able to find her journal?” Max asked Maria.

She nodded her head, “Yeah, she showed me where she keeps it. You know, just in case anything was ever to happen.”

Maria walked over and pulled out her dresser and then counted down six rows of bricks. She pushed on one end of the brick in the last row, and it popped out. “It’s back here, inside this hollow space she made.” She reached in and took out the journal. She stood back up and handed it to Max, “Before you read this, you have to promise me that you’re not going to blame yourself. Liz did what she did because she loves you and she wanted to keep everyone safe.”

Max reached over and took the journal. “I can't promise you anything, but I will keep it in mind,” he told her.

Maria was about to say something more when Michael came into the room, “Maria, can I talk to you?”

“All right,” she followed him out into the hall and down into the living room.

Michael took her hand in his and pulled her into his arms. “You all right?” he asked her.

Maria pulled back a little; she looked into Michael's eyes hoping for some reassurance, "Please tell me this is just a bad dream,” she pleaded with him. “Please just make this all go away."

"I wish I could, but I can't. I’m sorry to bring this up now, but I just have to ask you, and I need you to be straight with me. Did you tell Liz that you knew where the Granolith was, that I took you there?" Michael asked her.

Maria pulled away from him. She looked at him and shook her head, “All you care about is that stupid Granolith. After everything, I just told you Liz has done for you all you can think about…”

“It’s not like that!” he interrupted her. "I want Liz to be safe, but Maria, I need to know if there is any chance that Nicholas could find out that you know where the Granolith is. I know in your mind I'm an insensitive jerk for even asking you about this now, but the thought of Nicolas anywhere near you makes me nuts. You can be angry with me if you want, but I have to know that you’re safe. So please just tell me that you didn't tell Liz I took you to the Granolith."

Maria laid her head against his chest and shook her head no. “I never told her.”

"Okay good,” he whispered softly and then kissed the top of her head. "I just couldn't stand it if anything happened to you."

Maria looked at him as tears fell from her eyes, "I love you too Michael."

He wrapped his arms around her and leaned down to kiss her. He did love Maria, he might not say it all the time but he did love her, and the thought of anyone ever hurting her made him sick inside. He thought about Max and what he must be going through. “You know though that once Liz is back here, and everything is back to normal we are going to have to talk about you keeping this secret from me, right?”

She nodded her head, “Yeah, I know,” was all she said.
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Choices and Conseqences teen M/L CC Chapter 3 10/17/17

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Love the way you are fleshing out and improving this story.

Of course Max is confused now.......he doesn't know the truth.......but will when Maria finally tells him.
Liz is trying hard to find out her current location.
Glad Zan is keeping close and an eye on things.
What a surprise the Sheriff had when he went to check on Liz.......
Now we're hanging over the cliff wondering what will happen next!
Thanks,
Carolyn