A DETOUR FROM VEGAS (Complete!) M/M, M/L support CC too (TEEN) Chapter 1 - 10 4/21/2020

This is the place to post all your General Roswell fanfiction. Any Canon fics, which pick up directly from any episode of the show and that focus on Max/Liz, Michael/Maria, Isabel/Alex or Isabel/Jesse, Kyle/Tess, or all the couples together! Rule of Thumb: If Max healed Liz in the Crashdown in September 1999, then your fic belongs here. If it picks up from the show in any way, it belongs here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, jbangelo, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: A DETOUR FROM VEGAS M/M, M/L support CC too (TEEN) Chapter 1 - 9/14/17

Post by santigold53 »

Here's the next chapter....hope you like. Please give this amateur some love and feel free to review!

CHAPTER 6

The thing with a glass of wine is, one always lead to two, and more often than not, two leads to more. Maria was all too privy to this notion considering she gained tons of experience by observing her mom.

When Maria’s dad left, Amy succumbed to the inebriant more often than she wanted to admit. But it was only after she tucked her sweet blond haired green eyed angel to bed. Amy was responsible, hardworking, and a loving mother and at one point in her life was also a heartbroken woman. Thanks to her mom, Maria never felt a void of parental love, though her father was absent. But her self-worth, on the other hand, had definitely taken a toll.

She believed that her father didn’t think she was worth it enough to stick around for her. Why bother to work it out with her mom if he didn’t care about Maria’s welfare enough to try? Lots of parents argue and disagree- that’s a known fact. But the ones that really stick it out and put their family before everything to ensure they stay a unit actually make it. Because family means something to them. But to Maria’s father, it must not have meant anything. Working through it with Amy wasn’t worth it, because Maria wasn’t worth it.

She wished for someone that would fight for her, to be with her and to love her wholly. Flaws and all. Because deep down the hurt and the pain, she knew she was worth it. But she couldn’t bring herself to believe it. As much as Amy had been so resilient and exuded confidence beyond measure as a single parent, not much of that really transferred to Maria. That was the only void that Amy could not fill. To feel wanted and important. Not just as Liz’s sidekick, or Alex’s friend and sometimes lead singer of his band, or the follower of the group, but as more.

But as she grew up little by little she was finding it on her own. And part of it was because of Michael. Her connection to him was very powerful and she had complete faith in him and their bond. Through some unexplained way their relationship brought out a steadfastness in her that could only be categorized as pure conviction. She was not one to hold back her thoughts or ideas anymore. She gave more value to her own opinion, even if others disagreed. Even when it came to her decision in being with Michael.

Though the rest of the group was very unsupportive of the two getting together at first, Maria found herself for once not really caring what the others thought, and letting her inhibitions down and giving into what she was feeling in her heart. She remembered how her and Michael even kissed, much before Liz and Max did. Michael believed it was a testament to their connection. Even when he tried to keep her at distance, the pull towards her was too strong to keep away for too long. Finally, she was beginning to feel worth it to someone.

For Maria, she didn’t care what anyone else thought anymore. The only thoughts that mattered to her were Michael’s. If Michael was in so was she, and over time after some reluctance on his end, they pretty much accepted that they were together. Not by any defined act or exchange of words. It just was. Maria and Michael whether they knew it themselves or not, or whether others knew or not, they were always meant to be together. And that’s just the way it was meant to be. Plain and simple.

Michael managed to uncover these hidden realizations thanks to Wayne, and on the elevator ride up to their suite, he realized what an ass he had been earlier to Maria.

How could I have been so insensitive?

The girl had been through hell and back with him. She didn’t deserve any type backlash or attitude. Well maybe sometimes.

Music? Was that music blasting from his hotel room? Michael put his ear closer to the door.

“Yup, definitely music,” he quipped out loud as he gave a soft knock to the door. “Maria?” he called a little loudly this time.

Nothing.

Knowing better than to use his powers, he took the card key from his front shirt pocket and slid it on the lock. As the door glided open it unveiled a scene that made Michael’s jaw Thep.

THe lights were dimmed, the fire was still rolling on in the fireplace, and an empty wine bottle lied on the rug of the living room. Michael sighed, and combed his fingers through his hair. This didn’t look good. As he walked in, he noticed that one of the doors leading to the bedroom was slightly ajar.

He pondered whether he should dare to go in, afraid to get the wrath of Maria if she was naked. She’d give him hell. (To Michael though it would be sublime heaven!) He smirked a bit at the thought, his jeans definitely getting a bit tight around his crotch seams. His eyes once again landed on on the empty wine bottle, snapping him out of his fantasy, reminding him of the seriousness of the current situation.

Before he could open the door, out flew Maria in a towel robe. Her hair was up in a bun, with wild pieces out framing her face. She hiccupped surprised to see Michael.

“What are you doing here?” she asked pointedly slurring her words. She was still pissed and as far as Michael could tell, buzzed if not drunk.

“I’m lodging here remember? At least for now till we get out of this snow storm,” Michael replied as he scratched his eyebrow taking in the scene. He went over and grabbed the empty bottle from the floor.

“Exactly how much did you drink ‘Ria?” he asked with a testy tone.

Maria was in no mood for his commanding demeanor. She snatched the bottle out of Michael’s hands.

“None of your business Spaceboy!” and hiccupped over to the kitchen. After opening a couple cabinets she finally found the one that contained the trash bin and placed the empty bottle in it. Michael had never seen Maria like this. She was always in control. Perhaps, flighty, tense, or scared but never this carried away. She was always good about having fun while being responsible. Not reckless like this, and that worried Michael.

As Maria walked by him, intending to get into bed and take a long nap, Michael grabbed her arm a little too forcefully than he had intended, which caused Maria to yelp. It was the over protectiveness coming out, and he knew that maria hated that. But he couldn’t help it. He was very concerned and he needed to talk to her. And as much as he knew she probably didn’t want to talk, she needed to give Michael some answers.

“We need to talk Maria,” he stated as he pulled her towards him.

Maria immediately responded by pulling away.

“No! No more talking! Haven’t you said enough?”

“Maria, please just listen to me and hear me out,” Michael pleaded as he stepped close to Maria as her side rested against the door frame.

Damn i have a headache!

It was hard to keep her eyes on Michael, for they were heavy, groggy, and tired but she knew that in order for her to get the sleep she craved she was just going to have to put up and listen to whatever bogus excuse he would come up with, so she could get some sleep. Her fingers gently massaged one of her temples in a circular motion hoping it would help.

When Michael didn’t hear any protest from Maria, he took a deep breath, combing his fingers through his hair. This was it. To talk. Just like Wayne had advised. He was getting himself really prepared for this, and while Maria was definitely woozy from the wine, she was coherent enough to realize how serious Michael was taking it. And serious Michael meant this was truly something coming from his heart.

Why is he finally acting better when I am not in the right frame of mind? Damn that pinot noir!

“I shouldn’t have talked to you like that Maria. I shouldn’t have said anything like that. To put down your music, your talent, and desires. I mean who am I kidding? I don’t have any talent like you in that light. I think it’s amazing you have ambition like that.”

“That’s not what I remembered you said last time you were here,” challenged Maria. A hiccup came out again from her lips, as she instantaneously covered her mouth. The motion made Michael smile.

Adorable, he thought.

“I know what I said last time, I was there, remember? And I’m an idiot.”

“You’re a wha--- what did you just say?” asked Maria as she took a few wobbly steps over to Michael. Did her ears deceive her or did she really hear what she thought she heard?

“I’m an idiot. You put up with a lot when it comes to my….alien-”

“Chaos?”

Michael rolled his eyes. “I was going to say adventures.”

Maria smirked.

“But I know that it wasn’t right for me to have said those things to you. And I hope you know I don’t feel that way. It’s just, when we get caught in this push and pull of one-upping each other, it becomes just that. One upping. And while I love the rise when I get you all mad because your eyes become….”

Michael paused. He wanted to say ‘saultry’. That when Maria turned sassy, it really turned him on and made her look sexy, but how could he say that now given the condition she was currently in from the wine.? He would save those intimate details for a later time when she was more sober.

“There’s this light Maria. Your eyes they give this twinkle, that makes me... I don’t know feel special. Like the glimmer of it was made just for me.”

Michael began to look down at his feet, a gesture he did when he was being very emotionally honest yet uncomfortable about divulging so much.

“I know you’ve drank, probably because of me, and I am not ok with that. I don’t want you to have to drink or get wasted because I did something stupid. I don’t want to be the reason for you to be vulnerable in any way,” Michael said his eyes glistening. He meant it word for word. Though Maria had drank the bottle of wine, she was definitely lucid enough to understand the sincerity of his words. He meant it. He was sorry.

“I’m shaking,” she said with a slight chuckle as she made her way slowly bobbing towards Michael.

“Wow, my words must have touched you that much huh?” he said teasingly as he motioned to take her in his arms.

“No literally I am shaking. Spinning actually...or is it the room…?” she said as her voice trailed off. Michael could see Maria falling forward towards him. He quickly went over and braced her fall as she found herself in his embrace.

She slumped over, burying her head into the nook between Michael’s lower chest and arm. Michael let out a big sigh. This wasn’t good. After all, He knew from first hand experience given Hank passed out frequently, so Michael knew what to do for Maria.

Michael bent over putting his arm behind Maria’s knees and lifting her up to carry her to the bed. She was in no condition to talk and clearly she needed rest. He wasn’t sure if she was wearing any pajamas under her towel robe, but when a pink spaghetti strapped peaked from the opening of the robe on her shoulder he got his answer.

Slowly and very methodically so not to wake her, he unbelted the robe, and peeled off the material gently down. When he threw the robe to the floor on the side, it unveiled a pair of pajamas that Maria must have gotten from one of the gift shops in the lobby. The words Vail Colorado, were branded on the chest of the tank top, and the shorts matched in the same pale pink color as the top. Michael slowly brought the covers up to her chin, and kissed her forehead.

He cared about her. He really did. He didn’t want to though, because that would mean one day he would have to leave her and this would crush her. He saw the images from her mind when they kissed. She had explored pain. The loss of her father cut deep, and the last thing he wanted to do was add salt to the wound, or worse, make it deeper. So deep that it would never heal fully. He would never forgive himself for that.

Michael decided to sleep on the couch, to give her space, after cleaning up the living room a bit. He went over and switched off the fireplace, and turned off the music from the sound system. That was it. Not much to tidy up. It looked like Maria still hadn’t eaten anything. Neither had he.

He scoped around their wonderful kitchen for something. He was definitely hungry. THe fridge came stocked with some basic items. There was also a wine cooler cabinet adjacent to the fridge, that held one bottle of white wine left. Maria must have gotten the bottle of red from there.

There was a loaf of white and wheat bread in the fridge. He opened some cabinets and drawers to find condiments, and was elated to find a bottle of tabasco still in it’s box.

Score! , he thought as he took the bottle out of its tiny package. He placed the box in the trash, got some pans and the butter out, and began to whip out the makings of a good grilled cheese sandwhich. One of Maria’s favorites as well. Had she been up he would’ve gladly made one for her. God knew she needed to eat something. Empty stomach plus wine, meant she would be out for a while.

Michael sat down on one of the barstools at the breakfast nook and began to lace the sandwich with heaping drops of tabasco. Just as he was about to savor the first bite, a ringing came from the living area. Taking a bite, he stood, sandwich in hand and ventured over to wear the sound was coming from.

Stuck between two cushions on the sofa was a cell phone. Maria’s.
Michael held it up. Liz was calling. It was about midnight in Colorado which meant 11:00 PM in Vegas.

“Yeah?”

“Oh Michael, is Maria there?”

“She’s sleeping,” he replied warily. The last thing he wanted to do was to make Liz worry and say that Maria was truly in a state of “passed out” due to copious amounts of wine.

“She told you where we are right,” Michael added. It was more of a statement than a question.

“Yeah she told me.Colorado. Are you guys ok?”

“Haven’t really hashed things out but we will,” replied Michael trying to keep it vague. One thing everything in the group knew about Michael was they he never really divulged much about his personal business with Maria.
“But she’s fine Liz, don’t worry.”

“I’m not worried. I know you’ll take care of her,” Liz replied reassuringly.

Liz had his back when he and Maria went to Tucson for Lauree Dupree, and insisted to Amy that everything would be ok, because Michael would protect Maria. Michael would always be thankful to Liz for that, though he would never admit his appreciation out loud, and Liz knew Michael enough to expect otherwise.

“I told Maria that as well.”

That caught Michael’s attention.

Would Maria ever doubt otherwise?

Had she talked about Liz about being weary even the slightest bit to be stranded with him?

“What do you mean?”

“Uh no nothing…just you know, you guys were arguing and stuff before you got on the bus so… anyway,” said Liz trying to brush off the apprehensiveness she was hearing in Michael’s tone “Just let Maria sleep. Ask her to call me when she wakes up.”

“Will do,” said Michael.

He hung up the phone and threw it on the sofa, as he ate the rest of his sandwich.

Michael couldn’t help but wonder what Maria exactly said to Liz about him. He wasn’t dumb. He was sure enough to know that when Maria talked to Liz in the bedroom she definitely talked about him. It’s what girls did. “Girl talk”, as they liked to call it. If Liz had been here the ritual would’ve included a pint of ice cream and two spoons, if he remembered correctly during one of Maria’s episodes where she yammered on and on.

See I listen, he thought triumphantly as he went on eating the sandwich. Damn! This sandwich is good! I need to make another one!

Michael was still hungry, but he was also exhausted. He went to the kitchen and cleaned it up.

As he came back to the sofa to get some sleep, he still couldn’t get Liz’s words out of his mind.

That tone when she said “ I told Maria,” didn’t bode well with him.

Why would Liz need to reassure Maria of that?

Didn’t Maria already know she would be ok with him? Sure he got upset at times, even angry, but it’s not like he ever took it out on her.

Why did she have to worry?

Then he remembered about the text earlier that Liz sent Maria. He found the phone in between one of the cushions again and flipped it open.
He saw the message in the inbox:

What the hell is F.M.?

------------------
Hope you enjoyed it! Just curious what would you like to see in this story with these two crazy lovebirds? (I'm not really sure if many are reading this to be honest :( )
Comment and review below and you might just get what you want!------Santi
santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

A DETOUR FROM VEGAS M/M, M/L support CC too (TEEN) Chapter 7

Post by santigold53 »

Here’s the next chapter!
Please be forewarned there is some adult language!

Enjoy!

Chapter 7.

A light snorer. Michael wouldn’t believe it if Maria told him, but he was one, whether he liked to admit it or not. He snored. Maria smiled a little as she sipped her coffee, standing against the breakfast nook looking at Michael, who was still sound asleep on the couch--and snoring. Lightly.

She was a bit embarrassed about her state last night. She knew she had gotten a little buzzed and hated that Michael had to see her like that. She was usually much more put together and in control of things. While she hadn’t been completely sober last night, her memory was still intact. Especially the one she had of falling into Michael’s arms, and not in the figurative sense. She had figuratively fallen into his arms since their first kiss back at the Crashdown a year ago.

A year ago. Had it only been a year? It seemed much longer...

She woke up with a huge headache but ironically well rested. She begrudgingly took some ibuprofen she found in one of the cabinets of the bathroom suite. She didn’t like to take anything that wasn’t more on the homeopathic or ayurvedic side, but she didn’t know what else to do. She had never been buzzed like this before, and she didn’t have any herbal remedies on her to do the trick.

Sure her and Liz had raided her mom’s liquor cabinet and tried a sip of this or a shot of that, but it was all in innocent curiosity and fun. She never let herself go like this before, and if Liz knew she would be giving Maria one of her lectures right about now.

She was hoping that the scent of the coffee brewing away on its own, might wake up Michael, as it usually did the trick, but to her surprise, he wasn’t budging at all. He was in a deep sleep. Nothing could wake him, and in a way, she was really glad for that. She knew Michael hadn’t been getting any sleep, and she overheard his conversation with Max and Isabel during the ride over to Vegas that this whole idea to venture to Vegas started from a nightmare.

Apparently, he had been getting them every night since Tucson. So Vegas was his outlet to let loose, maybe even relieve some stress so he could get some good sleep in his system. Well, they weren’t in Vegas anymore, but at least Michael was definitely getting some sleep. Good sleep.

Maria put her empty mug in the sink. She combed her finger through her long curly hair, that was parted on the side and realized that her headache was definitely getting better. What she needed was food, but she didn’t want to wake Michael with the noise of pots and pans.

She decided to opt for a quick shower, change and venture down to one of the restaurants downstairs.

“Maria?”

Maria stopped in her tracks just at the door of the bedroom and slowly turned around.

Michael was sitting up on the couch, rubbing his eyes.

“Hey,” she said softly, standing near the door.

“How are you feeling?” he asked.

“Oh, I’m fine,” Maria said brushing it off so that they could avoid talking about her embarrassing state last night.

“Yeah? You seemed really out of it last night,” Michael said as he sat up and stretched a bit.

“No, I was…it was just one too many glasses of wine.”

Michael gave her a testing look, as he proceeded to fold the blanket. A look that made it made it pretty clear to Maria that she couldn’t fool him.

“It wasn’t just one glass of wine Maria, or two. It was the entire bottle.”

Maria was very touched by his concern, but also a little annoyed at the interrogation. She knew her mistakes. She didn’t need to him to constantly remind her of them.

“I know! I know! Look. I know what I did last night was stupid.”

“You also did it because of me right?” asked Michael.

Maria bit her lip. She didn’t want to answer that because she knew it would hurt him if she told the truth.

“No,” she said shaking her head as she came over to sit on the couch. Michael took his legs off the couch and sat up scooting over to make room for Maria.

It was like the time she came to his apartment to discuss the stupid visions from those overheated make-out sessions they had last year. He remembered her apologizing sitting just like now on the couch of his apartment unarmoured and honest. She never had any reason to apologize for it was Michael that was doing all the blocking so she couldn’t see into his past. He never told her. He was afraid to. But he was more afraid of the intensity that came out when they kissed. It made him feel vulnerable and he didn’t like feeling that way. It made him feel uneasy. So rather than sacrificing his comfortability, he never told Maria the truth about him purposely blocking the visions from her.

“It wasn’t you. It’s not...it’s not just you,” she said looking over and then crossing her arms, realizing she was still in her gift shop pajama attire.

Michael leaned into her rubbing her back. I am an Asshole. Michael was really feeling guilty.

“That’s really sweet of you Maria,” he said his lips slightly curling up. “But I know the truth. I’m sorry.”

Maria shook her head. “Just let’s just forget it,” Maria said with a soft punch to his shoulder as she got up. What was the point for her to keep the conversation going? She was so used to just letting things go. As tiring and depressing as it was there was no other way with him.

“I um,” Michael started as he scratched his eyebrow “I don’t think we should just brush it under the rug, Maria.”

Stunned, Maria turned around.

“What do you suggest?” Maria asked skeptically.

“We talk.”

Maria’s jaw dropped.

“Who the hell are you and what have you done to my boyfriend?”

Was Michael actually going to start the initiation of being communicative? That wasn’t something that came naturally to him.

“It’s me, Maria,” Michael said getting up.

“Okay. Well, what do you have in mind? How do you want to do this?”

“Well I know you must be starving so how about we go grab some breakfast.”

“And talk?” Maria asked.

“Yeah. What do you say?” Michael asked as he placed his hands in his pockets.

Maria nodded. “Okay.”

After Maria took a shower she let Michael have the bathroom all to himself to shower and get ready.

“Do you mind if I get dressed in the bedroom while you’re showering in the bathroom?” asked Maria in her towel.

Michael couldn’t help but take note of the drops of water on her dewy milky skin. Her shoulders and bare calves looking amazing as they glistened in the light.

“Yeah...sure,” Michael said quickly as he rushed to the bathroom. Any more time and he’d probably grab Maria, pin her to the bed and kiss her till she ran out of breath.

Maria opted for a casual maxi long black skirt that had a slit one side trailing up above her knee a little. She put on a maroon tank top, one that had a built-in bra that she had brought along with her to Vegas in her bag. It was a smart choice considering she could save room by packing fewer undergarments.

Certainly an upgrade from my aqua bra!

She wore the black spandex, crop top cardigan she purchased earlier at the gift shop over the tank top, since it was a little cold in the hotel resort, and tied the front in a delicate knot.

She decided to wait for Michael in the living room and closed the bedroom door behind her to offer him some privacy. Getting her purse she realized her phone was missing. Looking around, behind cushions and under the sofa, she finally found it sitting right on top of an end table. As she flipped it open she noticed that Liz called last night, and the minutes on the side indicated she was on the phone for at least 10 minutes.

Realizing that it was Michael she had the ten-minute conversation with she began to feel nervous. What if Liz had told Michael all about Future Max? She wouldn’t think Liz would do that without talking to Maria first and forewarning her so she dismissed the idea immediately from her mind. Perhaps she didn’t, after all, if Liz had wouldn’t Michael have been really angry at her in the morning for keeping this from him for so long? And he didn’t appear to be angry, quite the opposite in fact.

She could hear Michael getting out of the shower and now brushing his teeth. Seeing that she had more time on her side she opted to call Liz just to stay aofeast on what might have come about last night.

As Maria hesitantly punched in the buttons to call her, she bit her lip, pacing back and forth leaving brush marks on the carpet with her feet. There was thankfully much clearer reception in the living room space versus where she was in the bedroom prior.

“Hello?”

“Liz! It’s Maria.”

“Maria. Oh my god, I’ve been waiting for you to call me! I tried calling you yesterday but Michael said you were sleeping.”

Phew! Maria was very happy to hear that Michael didn’t tell Liz that she was passed out from wine. The last thing she needed right now was one of Liz’s lectures.

“Yeah...I was tired.”

“Yeah he mentioned that...and the fact that you both hadn’t really hashed things out.”

“Yeah. To be honest I never really thought we’d even get to that point. Michael’s not really a talker.”

Liz knew that.

“But surprisingly, he said that we should.”

“Wait? What?” Did Liz’s ears just deceive her or did she just hear from Maria that Michael wanted to “talk”?

Maria chuckled softly. “Yeah, that was my reaction too. He wants to talk. It was his idea”

“That, that’s great. Wow. Michael said that huh?”

Maria laughed a little again. “Yeah who would’ve thunk?”

“Wow, that’s a great surprise. I mean I always I knew you would always be ok with him but that’s definitely an improvement on his end.”

“Tell me about it. Okay, okay, okay! Liz, you called to talk to me yesterday, so what’s up?”

“Well, but I wanted to talk to you because Max and I talked to the group about Future Max.”

Maria swallowed. She felt butterflies in her stomach, as she brushed her hand along the horizontal trim of the sofa guiding herself to sit.

“What did they say?”

“Well, I guess…, the reactions were as Max and I had expected,” replied Liz.

“Meaning?”

“Meaning, Isabel, and Tess were very defensive and vocal about their disappointment in me for keeping it from them. They felt like as the aliens they should’ve known, from the beginning. I kept telling them how Future Max told me not to, and even Max came to my defense when he explains the complications if ever his present self and future self met in real time, but it didn’t get any better. In fact, that just made it worse. Tess criticized him always taking my side, and Isabel said something hurtful that caused Alex to even yell at her back!”

“What? Oh my god Lizzy! What did Isabel say that would make Alex yell?” Maria knew how much Alex cared for Isabel so the fact that he raised her voice at her at all, was pretty telling about the intensity of the situation.

“She said she wished that Max had never saved me. And then Alex yelled, Isabel yelled back, Tess yelled, Max tried to reason with them...Oh, God! Maria, it was a complete mess. Everyone was pretty much yelling except for me and Kyle. He just sat there stunned for what seemed like hours, just..stunned. Quiet and unwavering. Later on, I would come to find out from him that during the argument he was realizing that when I asked him months ago to sleep with me, it was to prevent a cataclysmic future of apocalyptic proportions…”

Last night in Vegas...

“How could you keep this from us, Liz? You’re not even one of us! If Max didn’t save you we wouldn’t be in this mess,” cried Isabel as she stomped to the opposite side of the suite.

“How the hell can you say that Isabel?” exclaimed Alex. “How many times have Liz, Maria and I saved your lives? Multiple! Think a bit before you say something stupid,” yelled Alex as he gave a piercing glare to Isabel.
Liz was trembling, arms crossed in front of her, regretting that Max and she had said anything in the first place in regards to the future with the rest of the group. She should’ve just followed Future Mac’s advice and kept quiet.

Tess scoffed in response to Alex’s retaliation against Isabel. “Oh please. We never asked you guys for your help. And where is Maria anyway? She’s never around and when she is she’s always running after Michael.”

“Tess, you better shut up,” said Kyle through gritted teeth as he looked on worriedly at Liz. After a long time of unwavering silence from Kyle’s end, he was finally speaking up.Tess a bit taken aback by Kyle’s tone pouted and went over to stand next to Isabel.

“Maria knows too.” said Liz softly as she went back to biting her lip, closing her eyes as if she was getting ready for the brunt of more backlash.

“Unbelievable!” Isabel groaned.

“Stop it! We’ve all hurt each other here. We can’t blame Liz for something that Future-- for something I told her. At the end of the day, it’s my fault. If it’s anyone’s fault it’s mine!” cried Max.

“Of course it is Max. If there’s anyone to blame it’s our King,” replied Tess mockingly clearly frustrated with Max’s pitiful attempt to defend Liz.

Verbal Jabs were flying violently back and forth from one side of the suite to another like a ping pong ball in a heated game, never ending, never stopping. Max was scolding Isabel for hiding the whole Vilandra information for so long as if to justify Liz’s reason for keeping Future Max a secret and Isabel cried back stating it wasn’t the same as withholding information of a catastrophic fate. Tess cried as to how she was the reason the aliens formulated a stronger union in the first place and that humans should’ve never been a part of their group, while Alex again reminded how the humans had helped them over and over again from disaster. The jabs went on and on, becoming louder and more hurtful. Liz was beginning to feel like it would never end and needed to escape so she left the scene to retreat back to her bedroom for sanctuary.

“GUYS!” shouted Kyle. “WHAT THE FUCK!”

Everyone stopped talking.

“You guys, and when I mean by ‘guys’ I am referring to you two bone headed Barbies there, and you too El Presidente! You can’t keep blaming each other or Liz for this. She never asked to be saved! She never asked for Max to come from the future and even more to tell her to make the present Max stop being in love with her. Can you guys imagine how much that last one must have crushed her? She never asked for any of this!

I was there that night. Liz was scared, upset, and frantic. The fact that she called me in for a favor like sleeping with her to trick Max, was uncharacteristic in every way imaginable. It went against every fiber of her being. The fact is, Future Max came and told her what life was to come if you all couldn’t be united. Michael died just hours before he came to visit her- didn’t you guys hear what she said, or was I the only one paying attention? Isabel, you were gone way before that. Gone.”

Isabel looked down at her feet, as Alex looked on at her. He couldn’t imagine a life without her, and the fact that Isabel didn’t pay enough attention to the detail of her being dead and more to the fact that Liz withheld information from them confused him. Didn’t her life mean something to her? What could be worse than being gone before your time?

“Tess, according to Liz, Future Max says you left us. YOU left us, Tess. That means you left me and dad. You’re a part of my family now. Knowing that you could be gone, that you would leave me the same way my mom left us- that kills me. But you don’t care. All you care is that Future Max came to Liz and that she withheld information. All you care about is the fact that your husband of another lifetime is in love with someone else, and that kills you. You don’t care because you’re too jealous to feel anything else. Thanks. If you’re going to leave you might as well leave now.”

The words he hit Tess with were the most aggressive. It’s like had saved his strongest ammunition solely for her. Because in truth, she meant the most to him out of the podsquad.

“ I’m going out,” said Kyle curtly as he straightened the collar of his leather jacket and headed for the door. “See you fucking morons….whenever.”

“Wait up Kyle,” said Alex as he gave one last look to Isabel. “ I’m coming with.” Kyle nodded.

As Alex and Kyle left, Tess sat down on one of the armchairs.

“I’m going to go check on Liz,” said Max as he retreated to her room.
Isabel sunk on the floor against the wall. Wrapping her arms around her legs she cried softly on her knees.

Isabel began to think about the scene as she went on crying. What were they angry about? Was it about Liz? Was it because she kept something from them for so long. Or was it because she hated who she was? She couldn’t answer, but she knew right then and there, she didn’t like herself very much at the moment.

Maria’s fingertips rested on her lips as she heard the whole story from Liz’s quavering voice on the other line. She couldn’t believe that her friends had become so contentious to one another. The things they said were earth-shattering. Leave it to Kyle to be the voice of reason. She knew he was sick of all the alien chaos at times as much as she was. She was worried for Liz, being among people who were once dear friends, had now turned against her so aggressively and abruptly.

“You ok chica?” asked Maria, as she felt her eyes tearing up. One tear slowly glided from her green eye down her cheek.

“Maria?”

Maria looked up finding Michael at the door, clean and dressed looking very concerned. Even more concerned than last night.

Maria quickly wiped the tear from her face.

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll be, just give me two minutes?” asked Maria. Michael nodded and reluctantly and retreated back into the bedroom closing the door.

Knowing well that now Michael could hear their conversation if she wasn’t more discreet, she walked to the kitchen to a be a little farther away.

“I take it Michael saw you?” asked Liz.

“Yeah but I doubt he knows what you're saying to me. He can’t hear you and I said nothing to give it away, but I was...crying a bit.”

“Maria please don’t be upset.”

“I can’t help it,” said Maria as she felt her voice getting shaky again. “I want to be there with you. I can’t imagine you going through this by yourself. And it’s not fair. It’s not just you that withheld it, it was me too.”

“Because of me Maria. I’m the one that told you. Listen don’t worry about me. I have Max.”

“No, I know you have Max, and I know he’ll take care of you and all about this mess but it’s not right that I’m not there too.”

“Maria right now things are pretty heated. Isabel and Tess are keeping to themselves and Kyle and Alex right now are pretty much off together in the casinos. Alex and Kyle have stopped a couple times to check up on me but, other than that they are all angry. We are all not really talking to each other, but the positive part is Max hasn’t left my side. Not at all. He’s in the shower right now otherwise I’d let you hear it from the horse's mouth.” Liz said half jokingly causing Maria to smile a bit. She could tell Liz was doing her best to make Maria feel better.

Suddenly a scary thought came into Maria’s mind.
“Are they going to call Michael and tell him? Isabel and Tess ” asked Maria.

“Isabel and Tess are made at me and understandably Max too. Do I like it- no. But I can’t say I can blame them right now. But one thing I know is, despite all their anger, they won’t tell Michael. “

“How can you be so sure?”

“Because Max told me right before he came for me when I retreated to my room, that Isabel and Tess said that Michael would be furious about this, but they would at least give him some decency by telling it to his face.”

“Oh.”

“And then Max explained how Michael and you had gotten into an argument and ventured off together now isolated in Vail Colorado, and it kind of came up, that….”

“That it would be best if I tell him given I've known too.”

There was silence on the phone for a few seconds before Liz said a reluctant “yes”

Maria sighed. She knew it was the right thing to do. After all wasn’t ‘Honesty the Best Policy’? It wasn’t going to be easy, but Liz had just been through hell and back again when she told the group last night, and since she couldn’t be there to comfort Liz, the least she could do was divulge Spaceboy the truth herself. After all, at the end of the day, she had withheld information from Michael, and understandably so, even though it would call for emotional turmoil if Michael got mad at her she would understand. Just like Liz understood Isabel and Tess’ reactions.

“I know what I have to do. I just don’t want to hurt him,” Maria said softly.

“He knows you would never do anything like that Maria. He might get angry but he’ll understand. Alex understood, Kyle did, and even Max.”

“Yeah but Michael is not really happy with Max, so he’ll be more pissed at him and his future self. Oh, haha, and of course me!” said Maria sarcastically.

“Michael will always take care of you. No matter what. You know that don’t you?”

Maria didn’t answer. Yes even in the most heated of battles he would always put past aggressions aside to put her well-being as a priority. But this was different. Maria not only lied, she hid the truth from Michael.

“I better go and get on with it,” Maria said. She had already kept Michael waiting long enough. Before long, he would get more suspicious than he already was.

As Liz wished her good luck and shared her hopes of a positive resolution coming out of their inevitable talk, Maria could only tremble as she set the cell phone down on the counter.

Would a positive resolution come out?
santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by santigold53 »

Here’s the next chapter! Enjoy!

Chapter 7.

A light snorer. Michael wouldn’t believe it if Maria told him, but he was one, whether he liked to admit it or not. He snored. Maria smiled a little as she sipped her coffee, standing against the breakfast nook looking at Michael, who was still sound asleep on the couch--and snoring. Lightly.

She was a bit embarrassed about her state last night. She knew she had gotten a little buzzed and hated that Michael had to see her like that. She was usually much more put together and in control of things. While she hadn’t been completely sober last night, her memory was still intact. Especially the one she had of falling into Michael’s arms, and not in the figurative sense. She had figuratively fallen into his arms since their first kiss back at the Crashdown a year ago.

A year ago. Had it only been a year? It seemed much longer...

She woke up with a huge headache but ironically well rested. She begrudgingly took some ibuprofen she found in one of the cabinets of the bathroom suite. She didn’t like to take anything that wasn’t more on the homeopathic or ayurvedic side, but she didn’t know what else to do. She had never been buzzed like this before, and she didn’t have any herbal remedies on her to do the trick.

Sure her and Liz had raided her mom’s liquor cabinet and tried a sip of this or a shot of that, but it was all in innocent curiosity and fun. She never let herself go like this before, and if Liz knew she would be giving Maria one of her lectures right about now.

She was hoping that the scent of the coffee brewing away on its own, might wake up Michael, as it usually did the trick, but to her surprise, he wasn’t budging at all. He was in a deep sleep. Nothing could wake him, and in a way, she was really glad for that. She knew Michael hadn’t been getting any sleep, and she overheard his conversation with Max and Isabel during the ride over to Vegas that this whole idea to venture to Vegas started from a nightmare.

Apparently, he had been getting them every night since Tucson. So Vegas was his outlet to let loose, maybe even relieve some stress so he could get some good sleep in his system. Well, they weren’t in Vegas anymore, but at least Michael was definitely getting some sleep. Good sleep.

Maria put her empty mug in the sink. She combed her finger through her long curly hair, that was parted on the side and realized that her headache was definitely getting better. What she needed was food, but she didn’t want to wake Michael with the noise of pots and pans.

She decided to opt for a quick shower, change and venture down to one of the restaurants downstairs.

“Maria?”

Maria stopped in her tracks just at the door of the bedroom and slowly turned around.

Michael was sitting up on the couch, rubbing his eyes.

“Hey,” she said softly, standing near the door.

“How are you feeling?” he asked.

“Oh, I’m fine,” Maria said brushing it off so that they could avoid talking about her embarrassing state last night.

“Yeah? You seemed really out of it last night,” Michael said as he sat up and stretched a bit.

“No, I was…it was just one too many glasses of wine.”

Michael gave her a testing look, as he proceeded to fold the blanket. A look that made it made it pretty clear to Maria that she couldn’t fool him.

“It wasn’t just one glass of wine Maria, or two. It was the entire bottle.”

Maria was very touched by his concern, but also a little annoyed at the interrogation. She knew her mistakes. She didn’t need to him to constantly remind her of them.

“I know! I know! Look. I know what I did last night was stupid.”

“You also did it because of me right?” asked Michael.

Maria bit her lip. She didn’t want to answer that because she knew it would hurt him if she told the truth.

“No,” she said shaking her head as she came over to sit on the couch. Michael took his legs off the couch and sat up scooting over to make room for Maria.

It was like the time she came to his apartment to discuss the stupid visions from those overheated make out sessions they had last year. He remembered her apologizing sitting just like now on the couch of his apartment unarmoured and honest. She never had any reason to apologize for it was Michael that was doing all the blocking so she couldn’t see into his past. He never told her. He was afraid to. But he was more afraid of the intensity that came out when they kissed. It made him feel vulnerable and he didn’t like feeling that way. It made him feel uneasy. So rather than sacrificing his comfortability, he never told Maria about the truth about him purposely blocking the visions from her.

“It wasn’t you. It’s not...it’s not just you,” she said looking over and then crossing her arms, realizing she was still in her gift shop pajama attire.

Michael leaned into her rubbing her back. I am an Asshole. Michael was really feeling guilty.

“That’s really sweet of you Maria,” he said his lips slightly curling up. “But I know the truth. I’m sorry.”

Maria shook her head. “Just let’s just forget it,” Maria said with a soft punch to his shoulder as she got up. What was the point for her to keep the conversation going? She was so used to just letting things go. As tiring and depressing as it was there was no other way with him.

“I um,” Michael started as he scratched his eyebrow “I don’t think we should just brush it under the rug, Maria.”

Stunned, Maria turned around.

“What do you suggest?” Maria asked skeptically.

“We talk.”

Maria’s jaw dropped.

“Who the hell are you and what have you done to my boyfriend?”

Was Michael actually going to start the initiation of being communicative? That wasn’t something that came naturally to him.

“It’s me, Maria,” Michael said getting up.

“Okay. Well, what do you have in mind? How do you want to do this?”

“Well I know you must be starving so how about we go grab some breakfast.”

“And talk?” Maria asked.

“Yeah. What do you say?” Michael asked as he placed his hands in his pockets.

Maria nodded. “Okay.”

After Maria took a shower she let Michael have the bathroom all to himself to shower and get ready.

“Do you mind if I get dressed in the bedroom while you’re showering in the bathroom?” asked Maria in her towel.

Michael couldn’t help but take note of the drops of water on her dewy milky skin. Her shoulders and bare calves looking amazing as they glistened in the light.

“Yeah...sure,” Michael said quickly as he rushed to the bathroom. Any more time and he’d probably grab Maria, pin her to the bed and kiss her till she ran out of breath.

Maria opted for a casual maxi long black skirt that had a slit one side trailing up above her knee a little. She put on a maroon tank top, one that had a built in bra that she had brought along with her to Vegas in her bag. It was a smart choice considering she could save room by packing fewer undergarments.

Certainly an upgrade from my aqua bra!

She wore the black spandex, crop top cardigan she purchased earlier at the gift shop over the tank top, since it was a little cold in the hotel resort, and tied the front in a delicate knot.

She decided to wait for Michael in the living room and closed the bedroom door behind her to offer him some privacy. Getting her purse she realized her phone was missing. Looking around, behind cushions and under the sofa, she finally found it sitting right on top of an end table. As she flipped it open she noticed that Liz called last night, and the minutes on the side indicated she was on the phone for at least 10 minutes.

Realizing that it was Michael she had the ten-minute conversation with she began to feel nervous. What if Liz had told Michael all about Future Max? She wouldn’t think Liz would do that without talking to Maria first and forewarning her so she dismissed the idea immediately from her mind. Perhaps she didn’t, after all, if Liz had wouldn’t Michael have been really angry at her in the morning for keeping this from him for so long? And he didn’t appear to be angry, quite the opposite in fact.

She could hear Michael getting out of the shower and now brushing his teeth. Seeing that she had more time on her side she opted to call Liz just to stay abreast on what might have come about last night.

As Maria hesitantly punched in the buttons to call her, she bit her lip, pacing back and forth leaving brush marks on the carpet with her feet. There was thankfully much clearer reception in the living room space versus where she was in the bedroom prior.

“Hello?”

“Liz! It’s Maria.”

“Maria. Oh my god, I’ve been waiting for you to call me! I tried calling you yesterday but Michael said you were sleeping.”

Phew! Maria was very happy to hear that Michael didn’t tell Liz that she was passed out from wine. The last thing she needed right now was one of Liz’s lectures.

“Yeah...I was tired.”

“Yeah he mentioned that...and the fact that you both hadn’t really hashed things out.”

“Yeah. To be honest I never really thought we’d even get to that point. Michael’s not really a talker.”

Liz knew that.

“But surprisingly, he said that we should.”

“Wait? What?” Did Liz’s ears just deceive her or did she just hear from Maria that Michael wanted to “talk”?

Maria chuckled softly. “Yeah, that was my reaction too. He wants to talk. It was his idea”

“That, that’s great. Wow. Michael said that huh?”

Maria laughed a little again. “Yeah who would’ve thunk?”

“Wow, that’s a great surprise. I mean I always I knew you would always be ok with him but that’s definitely an improvement on his end.”

“Tell me about it. Okay, okay, okay! Liz, you called to talk to me yesterday, so what’s up?”

“Well, but I wanted to talk to you because Max and I talked to the group about Future Max.”

Maria swallowed. She felt butterflies in her stomach, as she brushed her hand along the horizontal trim of the sofa guiding herself to sit.

“What did they say?”

“Well, I guess…, the reactions were as Max and I had expected,” replied Liz.

“Meaning?”

“Meaning, Isabel, and Tess were very defensive and vocal about their disappointment in me for keeping it from them. They felt like as the aliens they should’ve known, from the beginning. I kept telling them how Future Max told me not to, and even Max came to my defense when he explains the complications if ever his present self and future self met in real time, but it didn’t get any better. In fact, that just made it worse. Tess criticized him always taking my side, and Isabel said something hurtful that caused Alex to even yell at her back!”

“What? Oh my god Lizzy! What did Isabel say that would make Alex yell?” Maria knew how much Alex cared for Isabel so the fact that he raised her voice at her at all, was pretty telling about the intensity of the situation.

“She said she wished that Max had never saved me. And then Alex yelled, Isabel yelled back, Tess yelled, Max tried to reason with them...Oh, God! Maria, it was a complete mess. Everyone was pretty much yelling except for me and Kyle. He just sat there stunned for what seemed like hours, just..stunned. Quiet and unwavering. Later on, I would come to find out from him that during the argument he was realizing that when I asked him months ago to sleep with me, it was to prevent a cataclysmic future of apocalyptic proportions…”

Last night in Vegas...

“How could you keep this from us, Liz? You’re not even one of us! If Max didn’t save you we wouldn’t be in this mess,” cried Isabel as she stomped to the opposite side of the suite.

“How the hell can you say that Isabel?” exclaimed Alex. “How many times have Liz, Maria and I saved your lives? Multiple! Think a bit before you say something stupid,” yelled Alex as he gave a piercing glare to Isabel.
Liz was trembling, arms crossed in front of her, regretting that Max and she had said anything in the first place in regards to the future with the rest of the group. She should’ve just followed Future Mac’s advice and kept quiet.

Tess scoffed in response to Alex’s retaliation against Isabel. “Oh please. We never asked you guys for your help. And where is Maria anyway? She’s never around and when she is she’s always running after Michael.”

“Tess, you better shut up,” said Kyle through gritted teeth as he looked on worriedly at Liz. After a long time of unwavering silence from Kyle’s end, he was finally speaking up.Tess a bit taken aback by Kyle’s tone pouted and went over to stand next to Isabel.

“Maria knows too.” said Liz softly as she went back to biting her lip, closing her eyes as if she was getting ready for the brunt of more backlash.

“Unbelievable!” Isabel groaned.

“Stop it! We’ve all hurt each other here. We can’t blame Liz for something that Future-- for something I told her. At the end of the day, it’s my fault. If it’s anyone’s fault it’s mine!” cried Max.

“Of course it is Max. If there’s anyone to blame it’s our King,” replied Tess mockingly clearly frustrated with Max’s pitiful attempt to defend Liz.

Verbal Jabs were flying violently back and forth from one side of the suite to another like a ping pong ball in a heated game, never ending, never stopping. Max was scolding Isabel for hiding the whole Vilandra information for so long as if to justify Liz’s reason for keeping Future Max a secret and Isabel cried back stating it wasn’t the same as withholding information of a catastrophic fate. Tess cried as to how she was the reason the aliens formulated a stronger union in the first place and that humans should’ve never been a part of their group, while Alex again reminded how the humans had helped them over and over again from disaster. The jabs went on and on, becoming louder and more hurtful. Liz was beginning to feel like it would never end and needed to escape so she left the scene to retreat back to her bedroom for sanctuary.

“GUYS!” shouted Kyle. “WHAT THE FUCK!”

Everyone stopped talking.

“You guys, and when I mean by ‘guys’ I am referring to you two bone headed Barbies there, and you too El Presidente! You can’t keep blaming each other or Liz for this. She never asked to be saved! She never asked for Max to come from the future and even more to tell her to make present Max stop being in love with her. Can you guys imagine how much that last one must have crushed her? She never asked for any of this!

I was there that night. Liz was scared, upset, and frantic. The fact that she called me in for a favor like sleeping with her to trick Max, was uncharacteristic in every way imaginable. It went against every fiber of her being. The fact is, Future Max came and told her what life was to come if you all couldn’t be united. Michael died just hours before he came to visit her- didn’t you guys hear what she said, or was I the only one paying attention? Isabel, you were gone way before that. Gone.”

Isabel looked down at her feet, as Alex looked on at her. He couldn’t imagine a life without her, and the fact that Isabel didn’t pay enough attention to the detail of her being dead and more to the fact that Liz withheld information from them confused him. Didn’t her life mean something to her? What could be worse than being gone before your time?

“Tess, according to Liz, Future Max says you left us. YOU left us, Tess. That means you left me and dad. You’re a part of my family now. Knowing that you could be gone, that you would leave me the same way my mom left us- that kills me. But you don’t care. All you care is that Future Max came to Liz and that she withheld information. All you care about is the fact that your husband of another lifetime is in love with someone else, and that kills you. You don’t care because you’re too jealous to feel anything else. Thanks. If you’re going to leave you might as well leave now.”

The words he hit Tess with were the most aggressive. It’s like had saved his strongest ammunition solely for her. Because in truth, she meant the most to him out of the podsquad.

“ I’m going out,” said Kyle curtly as he straightened the collar of his leather jacket and headed for the door. “See you fucking morons….whenever.”

“Wait up Kyle,” said Alex as he gave one last look to Isabel. “ I’m coming with.” Kyle nodded.

As Alex and Kyle left, Tess sat down on one of the arm chairs.

“I’m going to go check on Liz,” said Max as he retreated to her room.
Isabel sunk on the floor against the wall. Wrapping her arms around her legs she cried softly on her knees.

Isabel began to think about the scene as she went on crying. What were they angry about? Was it about Liz? Was it because she kept something from them for so long. Or was it because she hated who she was? She couldn’t answer, but she knew right then and there, she didn’t like herself very much at the moment.

Maria’s fingertips rested on her lips as she heard the whole story from Liz’s quavering voice on the other line. She couldn’t believe that her friends had become so contentious to one another. The things they said were earth shattering. Leave it to Kyle to be the voice of reason. She knew he was sick of all the alien chaos at times as much as she was. She was worried for Liz, being among people who were once dear friends, had now turned against her so aggressively and abruptly.

“You ok chica?” asked Maria, as she felt her eyes tearing up. One tear slowly glided from her green eye down her cheek.

“Maria?”

Maria looked up finding Michael at the door, clean and dressed looking very concerned. Even more concerned than last night.

Maria quickly wiped the tear from her face.

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll be, just give me two minutes?” asked Maria. Michael nodded and reluctantly and retreated back into the bedroom closing the door.

Knowing well that now Michael could hear their conversation if she wasn’t more discreet, she walked to the kitchen to a be a little farther away.

“I take it Michael saw you?” asked Liz.

“Yeah but I doubt he knows what you're saying to me. He can’t hear you and I said nothing to give it away, but I was...crying a bit.”

“Maria please don’t be upset.”

“I can’t help it,” said Maria as she felt her voice getting shaky again. “I want to be there with you. I can’t imagine you going through this by yourself. And it’s not fair. It’s not just you that withheld it, it was me too.”

“Because of me Maria. I’m the one that told you. Listen don’t worry about me. I have Max.”

“No, I know you have Max, and I know he’ll take care of you and all about this mess but it’s not right that I’m not there too.”

“Maria right now things are pretty heated. Isabel and Tess are keeping to themselves and Kyle and Alex right now are pretty much off together in the casinos. Alex and Kyle have stopped a couple times to check up on me but, other than that they are all angry. We are all not really talking to each other, but the positive part is Max hasn’t left my side. Not at all. He’s in the shower right now otherwise I’d let you hear it from the horse's mouth.” Liz said half jokingly causing Maria to smile a bit. She could tell Liz was doing her best to make Maria feel better.

Suddenly a scary thought came into Maria’s mind.
“Are they going to call Michael and tell him? Isabel and Tess ” asked Maria.

“Isabel and Tess are made at me and understandably Max too. Do I like it- no. But I can’t say I can blame them right now. But one thing I know is, despite all their anger, they won’t tell Michael. “

“How can you be so sure?”

“Because Max told me right before he came for me when I retreated to my room, that Isabel and Tess said that Michael would be furious about this, but they would at least give him some decency by telling it to his face.”

“Oh.”

“And then Max explained how Michael and you had gotten into an argument and ventured off together now isolated in Vail Colorado, and it kind of came up, that….”

“That it would be best if I tell him given I've known too.”

There was silence on the phone for a few seconds before Liz said a reluctant “yes”

Maria sighed. She knew it was the right thing to do. After all wasn’t ‘Honesty the Best Policy’? It wasn’t going to be easy, but Liz had just been through hell and back again when she told the group last night, and since she couldn’t be there to comfort Liz, the least she could do was divulge Spaceboy the truth herself. After all, at the end of the day, she had withheld information from Michael, and understandably so, even though it would call for emotional turmoil if Michael got mad at her she would understand. Just like Liz understood Isabel and Tess’ reactions.

“I know what I have to do. I just don’t want to hurt him,” Maria said softly.

“He knows you would never do anything like that Maria. He might get angry but he’ll understand. Alex understood, Kyle did, and even Max.”

“Yeah but Michael is not really happy with Max, so he’ll be more pissed at him and his future self. Oh, haha, and of course me!” said Maria sarcastically.

“Michael will always take care of you. No matter what. You know that don’t you?”

Maria didn’t answer. Yes even in the most heated of battles he would always put past aggressions aside to put her well-being as a priority. But this was different. Maria not only lied, she hid the truth from Michael.

“I better go and get on with it,” Maria said. She had already kept Michael waiting long enough. Before long, he would get more suspicious than he already was.

As Liz wished her good luck and shared her hopes of a positive resolution coming out of their inevitable talk, Maria could only tremble as she set the cell phone down on the counter.

Would a positive resolution come out?
Last edited by santigold53 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by santigold53 »

CHAPTER 8
Something was going on. Something was wrong. And something told him all the answers were outside the bedroom door. But Maria told him to hold on a minute and begrudgingly he obliged. Multiple guesses were going through his mind all of them filled with pessimism.

Perhaps she was venting to Liz more about her and Michael’s feuds in Vail.

On the other hand, maybe it had something to do with that whole “F.M.” thing he saw on Maria’s phone earlier.

Or worse- Maria was saying how uncomfortable and unsafe she was feeling with Michael.

Great.

He couldn’t help but not think up of that last one. He could still hear Liz’s voice yesterday night pretty clearly. The fact that she had to reassure Maria with all her conviction that she would be ok with him, made him feel like he was doing less than necessary to protect Maria and to make her feel safe.

She had been there for all his ventures no matter how risky or dangerous. However she never once raised against going anywhere with him. She’d eventually join in on his escapades after sarcastically drilling him with a bunch of questions as all of the DeLuca women were known to do. This always told him that no matter the danger, the unknown, or the intensity of his ventures she’d remain steadfast by his side, and implied that she had complete faith in him. Because she believed in his unwavering protection, didn’t she?

The question itself was making him feel uneasy. Letting out a big sigh, he scratched his eyebrow and couldn’t wait anymore. Maria was sad about something, and he had to make sure she was ok.

He had to.

Getting up and heading to the door, he opened it slowly to see that Maria was done with the phone. She was still standing behind the breakfast table, arms out stretched pushing against the counter, looking down as if she was lost in thought.

“Maria? You done?”

As soon as Maria heard Michael's voice she flinched, startled by him as she got out of her trance and back to reality.

“Yeah um…”

“I saw you looking a little upset. Did I do something?”

It was times like this that always threw her emotions of MIchael in a whirlwind. Just yesterday he had done and said some terrible things that broke her heart into two, and then today here he was mending it again with his sweet words, consideration, and sudden surge of self awareness.

Men! Or maybe...it’s just Michael for ya!

“No. It’s a lot to explain. But I’m starved,” Maria replied as she could feel her body regain its composure. She was pretty sure her eyes was still a little teary but her nerves had calmed down.

“Ok, ok. Let’s go down and eat.”

Maria nodded as she loosely hugged herself, walking towards the door that Michael was hold open for her. Michael was taking in every inch of her demeanor.

She was beautiful and vibrant yet oddly solemn. Her mood didn’t fit the beauty that she resonated, that she always resonated. Something was definitely off, and when things were off even by the slightest, it made Michael feel uneasy.

The ride in the elevator was awkward and silent. As Michael let Maria out first, she and Michael found one of the restaurant's doors open with a sign that said Vail’s most elegant Buffet.

He gave Maria a gesturing look towards the restaurant with the sign that said “Now Serving Brunch”

Of course Michael couldn’t skip a good buffet. It was one of the things he wanted to experience in Vegas if maria’s memory served her right. Michael’s eyes looked a little excited as he made a nod to the sign. Rolling her eyes she nodded and they both ventured in.

As they took a seat at a vacant booth, Maria suddenly felt a little dizzy. She must have sat down too fast and really needed to get some food in her soon.

“You ok?” Michael asked from across the table. She looked like she was going to faint from starvation any minute. She looked at Michael’s mountain of a plate compared to her humble meal of eggs benedict florentine, three small strips of steak and a tablespoons’ worth of hash browns.

“Yeah,” she nodded and decided to just start eating.

After a few nibbles and sipping her orange juice, she noted that Michael was silently eating away, halfway done with his meal…or food mountain. He didn't once make eye contact with her as if he was trying to avoid any inevitable tension that might come out if they started talking. It was literally walking on eggshells at its finest.

Maybe the pain wasn't intentional but when Michael and Maria came together the hurt came just as strong as love. That was their definition of passion, and it was their passion. Even though others might find it to be volatile, Michael and Maria added that it was also passion and it's purest form. And they had it for each other.

Michael was getting worried at maria’s silence. The girl could yammer on like nobody’s business and she wasn’t yammering on at all. She was quiet. The uncharacteristic nature of her was eating away at Michael’s patience. Not being able to hold it any longer he decided to break the ice.

“Look Mar--”

“Hey there Matthew!

Startled by the sudden interruption Michael found Wayne smiling at him venturing closer to him and Maria. He was holding hands with LuAnn.

“Hi Wayne.”

“See you guys having brunch together huh?” said Wayne with what Maria swore was a wink.

“Yeah. The food’s pretty decent,” Michael said forcing himself to make conversation, even though the only exchange of words he wanted to do at the moment was with Maria.
Maria looked up and tried to smile up at the older couple.

“Yeah it sure is delicious. We always try to come to the brunch buffet at least once during our stay here,” agreed LuAnn.

Maria caught LuAnn’s judgemental look at Maria as she motioned to her plate as if she was sizing the portion to be very inadequate.

“You ok Madison,” asked a very concerned LuAnn, deducing that Maria looked very tired and worn out now compared to yesterday.

“Oh yeah, this is my second helping. The first one completely stuffed me,” said Maria with a forced smile. Michael gave her a baffled look of worry that she was able to lie so effortlessly.

“Well, we’re done here so I’m going to make ‘Waynee’ here join me in the casino.”

“There’s a Casino?” Maria said with a hint of dread in her voice. It was as if she couldn’t leave gambling altogether even after leaving Vegas.

“Yeah a small one, but it’s fun. Come on honey, you said you would play those slots with me. I’m feelin’ lucky!”

“Well gotta do what the Mrs. says,” said Wayne with a twinkle in his eye as he pointed his thumb towards LuAnn. He leaned in a little closer to Michael to tell him something only he could hear and patted his back and joined LuAnn as they walked out.

“What was he saying to you?” Maria asked curiously as she bit into her steak and eggs.

Michael shrugged and chuckled a bit. “He said: ‘I told you so. Men are idiots, admit that and your woman will actually consider eating with you’.”

Maria smiled at that. The man couldn’t have been more right.

“Maria you need to eat more,” Michael insisted as he moved his head lower, leaning towards Maria, so only she could hear his voice. Maria nodded. She got up and decided to go for seconds, for real this time, and returned with some toast and more steak and eggs.

Michael smiled. He knew his girl could eat. Where it went though, was another mystery altogether! Maria had a fine body. Healthy, fit, and pretty damn hot. He had never noticed her before Max saved Liz, but the escapade totally changed him once his eyes met Maria’s. Once another face in the crowd of his past had now become the only face he saw when he was awake or sleeping.

She had no idea what she did to him. Just her walking or placing a piece of loose hair behind her ear would make Michael’s heart skip a beat. Even the thought of that look of intense concentration and frustration she had when she was working that old milkshake machine at the Crashdown, was enough to make Michael’s jeans tight in the crotch area. She was breathtaking.

Michael loved her but he knew when it came to showing it he was a complete dunce in that department. Mustering up the courage he placed his hand on Maria’s just as she was about to cut into one of the steak strips. She looked up, her green eyes glittering with a questioning look.

“I love your voice.”

Maria smiled, shaking her head as if to dust off the compliment.

“I should’ve come with you to the audition.”

“I did go.”

“You did?” Michael asked surprisingly. “Well, how did it go?”

“It was stupid. I didn’t get it, I mean…the audition was for a stripper.”

“Are you serious?” Michael scoffed. He sat back with a very amused grin.

“What’s that smirk for Spaceboy,” she said a little quietly as she lifted her eyes up from her plate.

“Just picturing my girl in a thong…”

Maria threw a little piece of crust from her toast at him as Michael blocked it with his forearm.

“Funny. And ‘your girl’? Wouldn’t be too sure of that.”

“You’re still my girl,” Michael said again with that sultry grin of his.

“What makes you so sure?” Maria asked this time pretty seriously. That got Michael’s attention as he scooted in closer.

“Because I know no matter how much we drive each other crazy, we’d be crazier if we weren’t together DeLuca. Tell me I am wrong.”

Maria stunned, broke her eye contact with him, as she blushed. She played around with the food on her plate biting her tongue on a quip comeback.

He was right. Damn it!

“I know you’re trying to think of a comeback but let me save you the trouble. You’re there for me when I need you. I’d like you to think that I would be there for you too.”

“Michael you made fun of my dreams.”

“I didn’t make fun of them. You were just catching me at a bad time. I had a hot hand at the table that Max and I were at.”

“I know,” Maria held up her hand. “But you were unsupportive. What if I said Michael I think it’s stupid that you want to find out where you come from. You have it good here on earth so just stay put on this planet. What would you say?”

“Wait, is that how you feel?”

“Just answer the question Guerin.”

“I would be annoyed but I would know that’s not what you really feel. Right?”

“Of course not! I support you dreams Michael. Even though it kills me.”

“Why does you supporting my dreams kill you. Don’t you want me to find my home?,” he asked as he took a piece of steak off her plate and nibbled on it. It was a bad habit, and he scolded himself since he knew Maria needed food more than him at the moment. He’d always steal a fry or something off her plate when they ate.

Maria didn’t answer as she looked away from Michael attending more to herr steak and eggs. Michael could tell she was getting that pensive look in her face, the one where he knew she was trying to keep it together despite the memories and thoughts racing through her head.

“ Maybe I don’t want you to go find your home. Maybe I don't want you to go, because that would mean…you would have to be leaving me one day.”

“Maria…”

“I've been left behind before Michael. And it’s always by someone I love. I know that you have to go one day because that’s your dream. And even though it kills me I’m not going to stop you. I will support you. But until that day comes, you and I need to promise to be there for each other. LIke really be there. Not just you borrowing my Jetta for an adventure, or me just for company on an escapade. You need to really hear me out and be by my side.”

“I am Maria, I mean I do” Michael said semi-stumbling from trying to find the right words to reassure her.

“No,” Maria said shaking her head. “You're not always. I can’t do this Michael. It hurts. You’re unsupportive, and then we argue here, and then you call me an idiot for thinking I could be discovered. What if I am discovered one day? And you’re still not close to finding a way home?”

“Then I’d support you Maria, how can you even ask me that?”

“Because you missed an opportunity Michael.”

“It was one audition Maria! And it wasn’t even for a singing gig it was to be a stripper!”

“That’s not the point, and you know it,” Maria said through gritted teeth as she finished the last bit of her eggs.

Michael outstretched his arms across the booth, frustrated at the exchange of words the two were having.

“Ok what’s the point then?” he asked.

“Would you? Would you really support me?”

“Yes Maria, for the millionth time, yes!”

“Because I could also see you being really bitter Michael.”

“Bitter?”

“Yeah, as in resentful. What if one day with all this support we give each other I’m the one that ends up getting their dreams come true. You know, the whole enchilada: the multi millionaire music contract with the hottest label ever, my own glam squad, a limo the works! Then it wouldn’t be fair that you still don’t have what you want.”

“I mean I would get to relish in those perks too right?” Michael said with a smirk as he thought of sharing an amazing penthouse condo with Maria.

To his dismay, Maria wasn’t finding it funny.

“I’m serious Michael. What if I get my dream Michael and you’re still stuck here on Earth. You’re still nowhere closer to finding a way to your home than when you were a teenager. Are you going to resent me?”

“Maria how can you say that. I would never resent you for finding your dreams. I’d admire you for going for what you want and getting it.”

“You say that now, but that’s all you wanted Michael. A home. Everyone has one. You deserve it too. I know how much it means for you to find yours.”

Maria had to pause a bit from getting very emotional. Max and Isabel were given a safe haven when they landed on Earth, while Michael got Hank. She hated what that experience had done to him, to his mind, and to his soul.

“I’m not a crystal ball Michael,” Maria started, “but I can see you, in the future being happy for me on the outside while very sad on the inside if I got my dream and you didn’t get yours.”

What did Michael want exactly? What was his dream? To find home.? Home was where Antar was, what it always was. And then there was Maria. Nothing ever seemed to feel remotely closely to home his entire life except her. Not the Evans, not their posh house, not his trailer home with Hank. Only her.

“I would still be there for you Maria,” he insisted shaking off the question of home in his head.

“How do I know that Michael? We say really mean things to each other sometimes.”

“Maria we banter it’s what we do,” Michael rebutted as he pointed to him and her repeatedly. It was their thing, wasn’t it?

Maria looked at him longingly. “I know that we banter. There’s banter and then there’s the hurtful things we say to each other. Like when we go too far. I know you know what I am referring to. When we get a little more than heated.”

Michael nodded definitely fully aware about what she meant. It’s when they got to the point exhaustion of explaining things to each other. Defense could only play for so long, and the offense would then turn on it the most aggressive of words. Hurtful. Cutting. But, full of passion.

“When we get that way Michael, yours seems a little more biting at times than mine.”

Michael could see the green in her eyes softly turn a little grey.

“I don’t mean to Maria. I don’t want you to ever let anyone, even me get the best of you that you resort to some stupid self-destructive behavior like drinking a whole bottle of wine or--”

“I am tougher than I look Michael,” she said feeling the need to cut him off.

Yes it was an irresponsible choice when it came to dealing with her issues, but it’s not like she was usually so reckless. She needed to nip that in the bud right there, before Michael used the episode as a weapon (presently or in the future) not only against her but himself as well. The last thing she wanted was for him to use it as an excuse blame himself and walk out on her again. That was what happened last summer. Saying I love you yet avoiding her altogether the entire season because he claimed he would hurt her in the end just because he brought danger in her life for being an Alien. Enough was enough on that whole notion, and Maria wasn’t going to go through that again!

“ I just needed to unwind. There’s a lot of stuff going on, besides the ups and downs of my love life,” she said with a hint of snark as she drank down her orange juice.

“Stuff going on? Anything have to do with F.M. by any chance?” Michael asked taking a risk of bringing up the text. Given the good segway he took the opportunity to ask. It was reeling through his mind ever since the bus ride.

Maria stopped and abruptly set her glass down.

“F.M.?”

“Liz had texted you. Said something like ‘Told Max about F.M.’ Look if it’s some girl thing you don’t have to tell me…”

“Michael—“

“No seriously,” he insisted as he held one hand out to stop her from speaking. “ The time of the month thing already has me weirded out and I didn’t mean to look through your phone I promise, I just saw it by glance I wasn’t prying—“

“Michael! Stop.”

Maria didn’t think that the conversation about the Future, about Michael’s bleak future would start of this way.

Maria took a deep breath.

“If you’re done, I’d like to walk with you Michael. We can talk about, everything” she said with a big sigh.

“Does this have anything to do about F.M and that pretty devastating call you had with Liz?”

Maria replied with a look of pure surprise.

Michael shrugged. “What? It looked intense. You were crying Maria. What the hell happened? What’s going on?”

Maria got up not feeling the slightest bit light headed anymore. The food had definitely made her feel much better.

“I’ll explain it all, come with me Michael,” she said as she stretched her hand out.

Michael clasped it getting up. Placing her hand in his pocket Maria smiled from the warmth and love of the gesture. The mere touch sending her to almost swoon into his arms. Almost. They walked out into the lobby and headed for some beautiful scenery.

A/N I almost done with Chapter 9 so I will be posting it up soon. The next chapter is when Maria tells all to Michael. I am almost nervous posting it because our favorite couple may not be a couple anymore. How would you feel if someone you loved didn't tell you something that might be important in your life? Yeah. Exactly. Being left in the dark is a horrible feeling, and when you're Michael and you've been left in the darkness a lot, it becomes even more unbearable when someone who you think loves you creates more of it. -----Santi
santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by santigold53 »

A/N: I don’t know if it matters (it probably really doesn’t) but when I think of Maria in my fanfic, I picture her with the season 3 hair. I think all hairstyles from seasons 1-3 are amazing and fit her so well, and I especially liked how it changed with her character development. But Season 3 is really posh and stunning and I feel like it fits her best. So as you picture her in my fic, I may write about her hair covering her face, it’s because I picture her hair like in season 3 with a side part, down and shiny. Ok enough about her amazing hair :)

Back to VAIL…...

CHAPTER 9

Maria was in awe of the white and lovely scenery. The snow everywhere on the land and still falling from the sky, created a calmness that resonated nothing but peace. She hoped that the atmosphere would influence Michael’s mood as well, keeping him cool, calm and collected once she divulged all the Future Max information she had kept from him.

It was cold and still snowing hard, but they were under an outdoor cafe of sorts, guarded by the outdoor awning. There were heater lanterns hanging from above and multiple wool blankets scattered on the comfy outdoor sofas around the lounge area for guests to cuddle up with. Michael and Maria were one of five couples out there. Given the weather outside, The rest of the guests seemed to be enjoying the indoors of the resort more.

Michael who had Maria’s hand in his pocket the whole time, only finally let go to get a blanket for them. He motioned for her to sit on one of the cushiony sofas that happened to be a near one of the outdoor fireplaces. (or as Maria liked to call them a “Chiminea”).

As he sat down, she immediately sat next to him and turned to put her legs up on his lap. It was a sitting position they did often while hanging out, when it was just the two of them. He would be watching the tube, while she’d be watching as well, feet up in his lap. Sometimes he’d caress her feet without thinking. During these intimate moments she would sneak glances every now and then at her Spaceboy pondering about what he could be thinking about. He’d steal glances from Maria too every so often- when she wasn’t looking.

“So, spill,” he ordered as he lightly squeezed one of her calves.

Maria let out a long breath.

It was now or never.

Michael could sense the nervousness that Maria was feeling so he began to rub her legs back and forth to calm her with long soft brushes of his hand. He found himself doing it more and more unknowingly whether it was on the small of her back while they were walking or on her forearm while she chatted with him on the line window at the CrashDown when he took a pause from cooking and taking her orders. He even caught himself resting his hand on her ass at times, like when walking to and from the Jetta or between classes. The motion,which Maria at first flinched at, would make him quickly retract his hand. But since then he’d been sneaking it back on it again, and she didn’t seem to care.

“You have to promise not to be mad at me.”

“I promise.”

“No no that’s not enough. You have to absolutely promise.” Maria said in a more serious tone sitting up straighter like she meant business.

Michael rolled his eyes. “Okay. I absolutely promise.”

“Ok,” Maria said, finally sounding satisfied. She pushed back on the couch a little to sit up straighter. She pulled the blanket up to her chest and crossed her arms, and dared to look directly at Michael.

“You know when Liz slept with Kyle. Like that rumor. Remember the rumor?”

Michael nodded his head. “Yeah. Max told me he found Kyle in Liz’s bed and they were naked.”

Maria shook her head. “No, no, they weren’t naked Michael.”

Michael looked at her puzzled.

Yes she was, at least that’s what Max had told me.

It was that whole scene that made Michael do a backpedal in his brain of whether Max should’ve ever saved Liz in the first place. But he tossed the thought immediately from his mind. Liz had become a friend of the group, even him. And the best thing that came out of the whole event was that through it, he got Maria.

“So they weren’t naked but they had sex? You can do that? Well I guess you could if you just took the--”

“No, no!” Maria exclaimed, interrupting him. “God this isn’t making any sense is it?” Maria said showing she was profusely annoyed at herself. She couldn't get the words out because she was afraid of the inevitable disappointment Michael would give her at the end of the story.

Why was this so difficult? Get it together already DeLuca.

Michael was giving her some pretty confused faces. “You got any of that oil stuff you can sniff. Maybe it can calm you down or something?”

“Very funny,” scoffed Maria as she let out a big breath. “Ok. Liz asked Kyle to pretend to sleep with her, because she had to get Max to fall out of love with her.”

“Why? THat’s a little drastic don’t you think? I mean even for Parker.”

“Max loves her; he couldn’t keep himself away from her. I was with him all summer Michael. He was like a love sick puppy.”

Michael gave her a look that almost mocked her considering she was with Max the whole time also upset that Michael avoided her. But then it quickly turned into one of envy as he realized she did indeed spend the entire summer close to Max, and not himself.

“Ok I get that, I mean I understand if Liz wanted to get away from Max and the whole like Tess and Destiny crap but why fake a sex scene. Why not just talk to him. I mean that pretty much wore him down Maria.”

“Yeah I know where do you think she got the idea from pally?”

Michael gave her a perplexed look. He didn’t have any inclination about what that was about.

“Michael. She got the idea from you, well me, when I saw how worn down I was when you kissed Courtney.”

“What? Maria, I only kissed her to get information.”

“Ok we’ll save that argument for another day,” Maria said holding up her hand.

Michael rolled his eyes in disbelief.

Weren’t they already passing all the Courtney stuff by now?

“Seeing how devastated I was,” Maria said as Michael gave a glare to her, “she tried it on Max and it worked.” Michael’s look softened. “Because Michael if her and Max didn’t fall out of love the world would end.”

Michael chuckled. He knew his friend and Liz were definitely immersed but it wasn’t some relationship that rested on earth’s survival.

“F.M told her. F.M as in Future Max.”

“Future Max?” asked Michael as he sat straight. The text message. This was all kind of making sense. Sort of.

Maria nodded. “Max came to see Liz from the future. Apparently he had longer tresses of hair and he was able to go back in time by using the granolith. It’s apparently a teleportation device in some ways. I’m not really sure how it fits with the whole ‘time space continuum” thing,” Maria explained as she used air quotes for the last part.

“How did Liz know it was Max and not some shapeshifter or one of Kivar’s minions?” Michael counter argued exasperatedly interrupting Maria’s tangent. He didn’t mean to take out such a tone with Maria, but damn it! It angered that Liz could be so thoughtless! Why did Liz think it was ok to trust someone just because they looked like one of them. They had been duped before (no pun unintended!). In all seriousness, there were already people out there that looked like them and were willing to kill anyone that got in the way of their desires.

Not good Parker, not good at all!

Maria couldn’t answer, because in all honesty, Michael had a good point.

“I went by the fact that she’s my best friend Michael. And Future Max shared knowledge that only he and LIz would know about.”

Michael looked on at Maria, remembering the things that he only knew about her. The red shoes, with the blue shoe laces, and her dalmatian dog by her side the day her father left.

Fair enough.

He motioned with his hand for her to continue. “Fine. Go on.”

“He said that the four of you, Max Tess, Isabel and you form a unit. The four of you are unstoppable. But when Liz and Max got closer, that made Tess distance herself and eventually leave the group. She left Roswell. According to future Max, Liz and Max were supposed to marry in Vegas. That was the catalyst that drove Tess away. Then when Earth got invaded by Kivar and his enemies you all couldn't beat him without Tess. ”

“Wait a minute. You knew about all of this?” Michael said. Maria was surprised his inquiry had come out so calmly. She expected that when Michael would be very upset and definitely louder.

“Yes,” Maria replied softly.

He looked away starting to gaze out to the snow falling on the ground. It’s like he was in a trance, silent but still just as intense. After a few minutes of silence, he abruptly got up, causing Maria’s legs to immediately fall off from his lap on the couch. Her boots landed with a thud as her feet hit the floor and she would have almost completely sliden off if she hadn’t held herself up on the cushion underneath her.

“Michael…” She reached out to touch his shoulder only to be jerked away when he turned to face her.

“How could you keep something like that from me?” he asked sternly, his face burning with a look of anger and disappointment.

“I had to. It was Liz’s secret and she told me that Future Max told her not to tell anyone.”

“So why did you tell me now?”

“Because she told Max, and...then they both told the group. While we were here. Yesterday to be exact.”

“So everybody knows?” Michael asks as he takes a step closer to Maria.

Nodding, Maria replied “yes.”

“Unbelievable!”

“But just like you Isabel and Tess were very upset at Liz for keeping it from them.”

Michael scoffed. “Damn straight.”

Taken aback by his reaction, she was beginning to wonder if she should’ve brought up the whole thing in the first place.

“I need to get out of here.” he said low and sternly as his pointer finger pushed Maria’s shoulder motioning her out the way so he strode by her into the resort.

“Wait, Michael, are you mad?” Maria called out.

He turned. “I’m disappointed. I’m confused. And Yes I am mad, but I damn well think I have the right to be.”

THis caused a couple of people to turn their heads to Michael and Maria squabble. As Maria nervously took note of the unwanted attention, she tried to remain calm and lowered her voice.

“Michael you promised,” Maria reminded him as she picked up her pace behind him. She abruptly came to halt when he suddenly turned around giving her the most piercing glare ever.

“What if I told you that I knew something about your father, and I never told you about it for a long time? THen one day I tell you all this stuff about him. Stuff I’ve known for years! How would you feel?”

Maria looked up with desperation in her face. “I would feel upset Michael, but this, this wasn’t my story to tell.”

“I am so sick of Max and Liz making choices together that affect me and my well being without my opinion! You know that it’s been frustrating me!”

He had a point, and she could understand his frustration.

Maria shook her head, “ I didn’t mean for it to happen this way Michael. But then again you hearing this from anyone, at any time would’ve made you mad. Look at you! It’s not that I’ve kept it from you this long, it’s that Liz and Max chose to only now share it with the group.”

Michael grunted.

“Without consulting you first,” Maria added, hoping to rack up some points on his good side.

“No you’re wrong! I’m mad at you and at them. But still you too! Because the minute you heard about Future Max from Liz, you should've tried to find me and tell me about it. But you chose to keep it to yourself. Real nice Maria.”

That hurt Maria. He meant it too.

Michael opened the door that let him back into the resort. He wanted to go to his room, get his stuff and get out of dodge. With a fast pace he made a beeline for the elevators while Maria struggled to keep up with Michael only coming up to his heels. Michael furiously began pressing the “up” button multiple times on the elevator.

“Come on, come on…” he whispered frustratingly at the elevators ignoring Maria who was finally standing by him.

“Please Michael let’s talk about this.”

“I wouldn’t follow me if I were you.” Michael glared at Maria and as he heard the beep signaling that the doors of the elevator were about to open.

“Michael if it’s worth anything, if my opinion matters at all to you, I want you to know that I agree and that Liz and Max should’ve never kept it to themselves either. From you, Isabel, or Tess.”

The words came out quickly from an out of breath Maria since she was feeling so pressed for time, fearing that Michael would dis her as soon as the elevator doors opened. SHe wanted to try to make Michael see reason.

Briefly his eyes softened but it didn’t halt him from getting on. Maria decided to do something just as daring. She got on right behind him, too quick for him to see or stop her.

Surprised as he turned to find her near the panel of buttons to the left of the elevator, he motioned to the panel on the right, and pressed the “doors open” button.

“Get off Maria,” he said sternly.

Maria shook her head.

For the longest time Michael didn’t respond. His silence was making the white noise in her head get louder and louder. Every fiber of her angst built up as he chose to just stand there.

“Wow you must be really mad” Maria said when he still hadn’t let go of pressing the button that kept the elevator doors open.

“I’m not.” Michael said a little more harshly than he intended. He promised her after all. He looked at her longing look.

“Michael please tell me what you are thinking,” Maria pleaded.

“Right now, to get away and think for a minute.”

“Can we talk about it? Maybe we can figure this all out together?” she pleaded.

“Figure what? How would you fit into this Maria. Your future is not hanging in the balance, it's mine. And what infuriates me the most is that you kept this from me.”

“It wasn’t my choice to make Michael. You have to understand that,” Maria reiterated again softly as she attempted to once more reach out to touch Michael. Hoping that when he felt her touch it would calm him down.

“I’m trying to,” Michael said this time with a softer tone “Look you should give me my space. Do you want me to blow up this elevator right now?” MIchael asked harshly.

“You won’t.”

“How would you know?” MIchael said, definitely almost testing Maria of her confidence.

Maria’s arms were crossed resisting to falter under Michael’s intimidation.

“Because, I know you spent the whole summer getting that under control. Your powers Michael. You’re really good with them now,” Maria said slowly as she stealthily came closer to Michael.

The elevator doors closed. Michael lost all feeling in his fingertips. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Someone for once actually had immense faith in him. It was a rare commodity. He had been nothing but a disappointment to Hank, which he never failed complaining to Michael about. He always seemed to be screwing things up according to Max and Isabel. Everyone around him seemed to always think he was a disappointment. It was a shock to hear the opposite from someone, and it bled more that that someone was Maria.

Not being used to it and touched by Maria’s steadfastness he had to look away, fearing to lose all control. Being vulnerable wasn’t a suit Michael liked to wear often. He felt a soft touch on his cheek. Maria held his face softly as she reached up, on the tips of her toes to extend a kiss on Michael’s lips.

Maria was afraid that Michael might pull away, still mad at her for keeping such a secret from him for so long. BUt all fear vanished when his arms came surrounding her waist pulling her closer to him as he kissed her back --harder.The air around them in the elevator was getting hotter and thicker. Instead of arguing, they were battling each other but now with their lips and tongues. He forced entry into her mouth, while she tried to counteract the same way, and finally gave in, leaving him victorious.

“I win,” Michael whispered, pulling away, and then ventured kisses down Maria’s neck. As he was about to reach one of the most sensitive spots on Maria, where the shoulder and neck met, Maria pushed away all of a sudden realizing how out of control they had become. It always got out of control when they made out. Always.

Her right hand was placed firmly on his chest, while her left hand’s fingertips pressed on her own lips as if she was trying to calm down the tingling sensation. Michael didn’t like the abrupt distance, and tried to reach for her waist to pull her in closer again, when the sound of the elevator doors opening made them both leap to opposite sides.

A group of college boys came into the elevator. Three of them to be exact all exchanging looks of salutation to Maria and Michael, while taking note of her swollen lips. Maria smiled back while Michael remained stoic (as he usually did).

“Damn. It’s going up,” complained one of them.

“So we’ll just go up and come down, after they get off,” . replied the one with the blond hair and blue eyes. He smiled at Maria. She nodded once with a smile, and looked up at Michael who she swore was glaring at the poor boy so hard she was afraid he might burn a hole in his head- literally.

Maria took Michael’s hand in hers hoping the gesture would put him more at ease.

As the elevator beeped, Michael holding on to Maria’s hand tighter pulled her towards the exit, not caring that he practically bumped into 2 of the college boys pushing them out of the way as he tried to get out

“This is us!” Maria said in her best chipper voice hoping it would excuse themselves of Michael’s rude behavior.

Michael caught the attractive blond and blue-eyed one again smiling at Maria with a toothy grin as the elevator doors closed.

All of a sudden, Michael completely let go of Maria’s hand letting it fall to her side as he walked his way to their suite.

“Michael?”

He didn’t answer her. He merely got their door key card out of his pocket and opened the door. He didn’t even care to hold the door for her, but luckily she was able to grab hold of it before it closed completely shut.

Closing the door behind her Maria turned to find Michael standing in front of the fireplace. It was completely dark, as she moved from the corridor into the open living room, and suddenly just like that it was lit. Michael ignited the fire with his powers without even pointing to the logs.

The motion made Maria’s heart race. SHe swore she could feel immense warmth, but it didn’t seem to be coming from the fire. It seemed to be coming from Michael straight towards her in an odd way that didn’t make sense.

“Maria,” he sighed as he turned to her. “Just give me some space.”

Maria nodded. Tears were brimming over her eyes, but she didn’t want him to see that she was sad. This wasn’t really about her right now. It was about him. She knew she had done wrong by claiming that keeping the secret from him was justifiable. It wasn’t. She was disappointed in herself more than he would ever know.

Maria retreated to the bedroom leaving Michael alone in the living room where he could collect his thoughts. She pulled over the bedsheets and climbed in the bed. As she rested curled up to the side, she released all her inhibitions, staining the pillow with her mascara filled tears. Ignoring the sickness she felt in her stomach, she lay there, slowly drifting herself to sleep.
santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

A DETOUR FROM VEGAS (FINISHED!) M/M, M/L support CC too (TEEN) Chapter 1 - 9/14/17

Post by santigold53 »

A/N- please be advised- a few bad words used in this chapter. Sorry it just had to be done. You’ve been forewarned.

Special thanks to www.Crashdown.com I could get the lines verbatim from the online transcript provided on their site. Helped me add to the ending!
CHAPTER 10
Intensity.

It was a whirlwind that he and Maria knew far too well. One minute they’d be in conflict the next in complete caress. He didn’t understand where the anger stopped and started and where the love began and ended. It just was. Intertwined together for as long as always.

She didn’t deserve his anger. Not really. Sure she had kept a secret but it was only because she was made to believe that it had to be that way. Seems like Maxwell just kept fucking up. Even in the future.

Michael let out a sigh as he got up from the sofa for what seemed like a whole hour. The fire had finally died down and he needed to check on Maria. He wanted to reassure her that they were fine and apologize for getting so worked up. If he really thought about it Maria was right.

He wasn’t angry at maria. He was angry at Max and Liz. His heart swelled up as he remembered the teary eyed look she had given him before she retreated to their bedroom.
She was trying hard not to show her emotions but there was no point. She could never hide anything from him, not even if she tried.

Michael slowly walked over and knocked at the door. Hearing nothing, he turned the knob to enter and found Maria curled up sleeping in the bed. He closed the door. It was already afternoon.

He didn’t want to wake her. But they needed to talk- about a lot of things. Not to mention to think about a strategy and plan of when to leave once the storm let up. They couldn’t stay in Vail forever.

-------------

Maria woke up. Her green eyes adjusted to the unsettling darkness of the room while her ears peaked at the muffled sound of the TV flatscreen on the wall. She knew it wasn’t late. Her bedside clock that indicated 5:02 confirmed her vibes. She had slept for about two hours. She turned to find Michael asleep next to her, remote in hand, against some propped up pillows.

ESPN. Figures.

She gently took the remote from his hand and turned off the TV. Perhaps she could make them some dinner. A tasty peace offering that could put their relationship back into shape. As she was about to get up she felt a pull on her hand.

“Hey,” she said softly as she sat back down, placing her free hand on top of Michael’s that was holding her other in place.

He turned his head towards her. “Sorry.” It was almost too quiet to hear. His eyes were red. Had he been crying? Or was it tiredness from the stress and emotions of it all?

Maria nodded. “Me too.”

“No, you have nothing to be sorry about Maria. Not about this.”

Maria shrugged. Michael frowned that he hadn’t convinced her enough. Pulling her chin towards him he bore into her eyes with his brown ones.

“I was an idiot. You’re right. I’m not mad at you, It’s them. I know you would never do anything to ever hurt me Maria.”

Maria cried as she buried her head into his chest, thankful he finally realized she would never want to cause him pain. Michael embraced her tightly resting his chin on her head, muffling her tears with his chest hoping it would stop her from crying. His anger was misplaced and he had made a mistake. She knew full and well that he finally understood. He truly did need his space to finally come to his senses and she was thankful not only that he pressed her to give him some, but that she complied with his wish as well.

Michael combed his fingers in her hair, in a repetitive downward motion, not once loosening his hold on her. Maria rose up and gathered herself pulling down on her skirt as she propped the pillows behind her and sat up next to him.

“Michael, I promise if I ever hear anything that concerns you, extra-terrestrial or not. I’m going to tell you,” she choked out, wiping away the tears.

Michael’s crooked smile appeared barely as he nodded. “Thank you.”

Maria nodded.

“And I promise to support you and your dreams Maria. I’m sorry that I ignored you. You had so much excitement, and I guess I kind of rained on your parade. I love that you sing. I love your voice and you gotta know that if you are going to make it big, I would never resent that. Never. I'll be by your side as long as I can be.”

Maria smiled as she sucked in her breath. “Ok! We need to stop with this whole...emotional crap, ” she said with a slight chuckle. Getting up she fixed the bedding, as Michael took this as a cue to do the same.

“Thought you liked me showing a little bit of my feminine side.”

“Spaceboy, do you ever think before you purposely offend a girl?” she said, rolling her eyes. “Come on, let's look to see if the storm has let up.”

--------------------------

“You’re thinking about them.”

“I can’t help it. I know he’s mad. Wouldn’t you be if you were Michael?”

Max nodded.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have kept it from everyone for so long.”

“I’m to blame Liz. It was I that told you to keep it to yourself, well the future me anyway.”

“Ugh!” Liz cried as she paced back and forth in the hotel room.

“It’s not like Michael would hurt Maria. What’s making you so frustrated exactly?” Max asked.

“Of course I know that Max! But didn’t you see Isabel’s and Tess’s reactions? It’s within reason, but we had a group to buffer it. It’s just Maria,” Liz explained, annoyed that she had to spell out the obvious to Max.

“He’ll understand.”

“Yeah but I don’t even understand it. There were so many questions and inhibitions I had about the whole ordeal I wanted to test Future Max with. Like why did I have to make you fall out of love with me? What if I just told the group: ‘look you four are great so let’s all be friends and stick together!’ Maybe then we’d still be together, and I wouldn’t have ‘slept’ with Kyle.” Liz said with air quotes on the slept part. “Maybe even then, Kyle and Tess would be together!”

Max gave her a perplexed look.

“Don’t tell me you haven’t noticed the way they are around each other,” Liz said with her arms crossed, tapping her foot waiting for an answer.

Max held up his hands. “I just think we need to talk about this as a group calmly. Hash out the ‘what if’s’ and the ‘what to do from here’s’.”

“So just sleep on it?”

“Sleep is good,” Max said as he coaxed Liz into his embrace. “Sleeping together would be even better.”

“Uh huh nice try Max but we’re not even married.”

“Oh so you can faux sleep with Kyle but not with me,” Max said a little coyly as he walked backwards towards the bed inviting Liz to follow. “You know I’ll even take my bottoms off for you,” he said grinning. Adorable Liz thought, and follow she did. She kissed him softly falling on top of the bed together, embraced.
-------------

“I’m so glad we decided to fly it back here. A bus ride would’ve been terrible. You sure you're ready to face Max,” Maria asked as she retreated from looking out the window to see his face. She had to know he was ready. If he wasn’t the whole thing could be a disaster of epic proportions.

“I’ll be ok. He did what he thought was best. He always does, whether he’s present Max or future Max, I’d forever remain loyal to him.”

Maria pressed her hand on his that was sitting on the arm rest.

“Why do you think that is?”

“We were put on this planet together. And whoever thought that was smart. With all of us together I just feel like we can do better.”

“Oh yeah pally, and how about us Humans? Do we get in on that credit too?” she asked with a coy smile.

Michael smiled, “Please! You guys get a lot of credit. As you would say our asses would be fried if we didn’t accept your help!”

“Damn straight! So I think I know of a way you could show me some appreciation, you know for saving your ass from being fried and all,” Maria said as she turned more towards him in her seat.

Damn it.

“What do you have in mind, Maria, “ he drew out with a long sigh. She knew she was going to ask date night, chick flick movie, romantic dinner, shopping, and definitely something he wouldn't like.

“Take me to prom.”

“Prom? What the hell Maria!” out of all the things she could’ve said that he thought would be debilitating, this one took the cake --and caught him completely off guard!

“When the hell is prom?” Michae asked exasperatedly.

“Like in two weeks. Come on! I’m not expecting the whole thing, you don’t even have to Dance! But you in a sweet suit looking prim and proper would be pretty badass,” she said with a giggle.

“Bad ass huh?” he said with a smirk. He liked that he turned her on like that. “Ok fine as long as your promise to wear something sexy.”

“Um, Prom is more on the elegant side,” Maria corrected. She seriously needed to think about getting him some etiquette classes.

The sooner the better!

“No. I want sex kitten. Leather would be damn good,” Michael nodded. Although elegant would be just a turn on for him, he wasn’t going to admit that.If he was going to have to wear a suit he was going to milk her end of the deal to the fullest. Damn! Maria would look so hot in leather.

“How about we trade that leather in for lace Spaceboy,” Maria said as she turned looking out the window, not willing to partake in this banter. Prom was obviously too much of a serious topic for her to be toyed with.

“Lace could be real good. Real good especially if you wore some between your--”

“Don’t push it Spaceboy,” she said as she pressed a finger to his lips. It didn’t stop him from giving her that stupid smile though.

Yeah they were going to be ok. They all were. Prom or not, one thing in the universe is certain.

Michael likes leather, and Maria prefers lace.

A match made in heaven- wouldn’t you agree?

EPILOGUE:

It was a night to remember. Prior to going out to dinner and getting fancied up, Michael entered the Vegas suite and set the tone for how the whole Future Max thing was going to pan out. He calmly stated that they were to remain a unit.

A few choice words were exchanged but at the end of the day Michael and Maria were able to mediate their differences, helping the group come to the realization that solidarity was the only solution to whatever challenges they would face in the future.

“If we face it together head on then we can’t be beat.”

The group looked at MIchael in doubt. He could tell they didn’t buy it. How could they? It sounded too simple.

Maria grabbed his hand in support and tried her best to help.

“We can either be mad that Liz held this secret about Future Max for so long, which by the way she thought she was only doing for our own good... or we could work this out. Stick together like Michael says and defeat whatever comes our way. Whether it’s another raid of mutant jellyfish, or Nicholas and his minions.”

Isabel smirked a little at that.

Michael gave her a thankful look. She always knew how to break the ice with that DeLuca charm and humor of hers.

Apologies were made. The group hugged, shook hands, talked and slowly reconciled. Michael nudged Kyle to go to Tess. She was casted a bit to the side as everyone talked. Kyle noticed her longing stare. Notat Max. No it wasn’t at Max at all, it was at the whole group.She wanted to belong. Kyle approached her and somehow after some conversation the two hugged it out and seemed to let bygones be bygones. Everyone did.

That evening, Michael reluctantly agreed to wear a suit. The other boys didn’t fuss as much as he did, but were seen throughout the night loosening their collars at times. The girls wore beautiful skin tight dresses that caught every man’s attention at the supper club. It took Michael every fiber of his being not to pummel this one fellow that wouldn’t stop staring at Maria’s lips.

Michael and Maria also let bygones be bygones….but not without one last surprise.

MARIA: (To Michael) You cleaned up nice, spaceboy.

MICHAEL: Yeah but Spaceboy is still Hungry. I'm thinking a cheeseburger will go down nice right now.

MARIA: You had lobster.

MICHAEL: Yeah, but I'm still hungry. I'm gonna go hit the fast food joint across the street. Green, please.

[Maria takes some money out of her dress]

MICHAEL: Thanks. (He walks off)

MARIA: Cheeseburger? Why do I even try?

LIZ: Well, at least he wore a tie.

MARIA: Liz, I'm worried. I plan to be a worldly woman, and how can I be, when Michael is trapped in a world of armpit farts and PlayStation? He's just so...

[We hear drums rolling, they all turn around and we see Michael on the stage]

MICHAEL: Ladies and gentlemen, tonight you're in for a rare treat--a dream coming true. You're gonna love listening to this performer, and even though she'll never believe it, I love listening to her too.

[Maria is in shock, then she smiles]

MICHAEL: Please welcome to the stage... Miss Margarita Salt.

Maria caught between surprise and pure bliss finally peeled herself off the seat and ventured over to the stage.

“You know this one right?” he said with a wink as she nodded, smiling ear to ear.

He had made her dream come true. In his own Michael way.

Lovers were all around them that night. The rightful pairs dancing and enjoying one another’s company. It was too perfect, made even more so with Maria’s voice singing in the background. Michael wasn’t much of a dancer but he could do doting, and from behind the curtain he was most definitely doting his girl like crazy. It took every muscle in his body to stop him from grabbing Maria off the stage and taking her behind to show her what he was really feeling inside.

When Maria’s beautiful song was over, she motioned Michael to come over. The pair didn’t care that they were standing center stage while everyone looked on. And while the audience couldn't hear exactly what they were saying, they could definitely see what was unraveling before them.

“Never asked why you picked that song out for me Spaceboy.”

“It’s the one that you sing that reminds me of us. Well more explicitly me and how I treat you. It reminds me to be better for you. Change is happening all around us Maria. Who says I can’t for the better either.”

“Hmm perhaps with the right teacher you could definitely step into the right direction of changing for the better Mr. Guerin,” Maria said in a sultry voice as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

“You know sometimes I think I’ve got it for you too, just as bad. That ain't’ good Ms. Deluca. Not good at all,” he said as he bent down for a kiss. Maria was so thankful for the surprise. To perform was all she wanted.

“Thank you,” she whispered in his ear.

“Your welcome.”
Stefuh
Addicted Roswellian

Re: A DETOUR FROM VEGAS (Complete!) M/M, M/L support CC too (TEEN) Chapter 1 - 9/14/17

Post by Stefuh »

I had never read an M&M fic before, but I loved it! :) Wayne and Luann truly helped Michael and Maria understood more about their relationship! It was a great thing for them to get stuck in that snowstorm (I'm from Quebec, Canada, and there's a lot of snow here, I kind of hate it, but it is a nice setting for romance!) so they could finally talk! It's true that it was really surprising that the talking came from Michael, but the way you described it really made it believable! And I'm happy that the group could overcome the news about future Max, I wouldn't have liked them been all mad at each other. Michael and Maria were really well protrayed here, and the ending was really cute and amazing! :D I'm glad they could make it through their fight, stubborness and lies! They're truly meant for each other (just like Wayne and Luann)!

Thank you for coming back and finishing this! :)
(Oh and by the way, you posted chapter seven twice!)
santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: A DETOUR FROM VEGAS (Complete!) M/M, M/L support CC too (TEEN) Chapter 1 - 9/14/17

Post by santigold53 »

Thank you so much for your kind words and review. I am about to do something brave on May 1st and publish a CC Roswell fanifc that has M/M as a focus but all characters play a major role. I just released the trailer. I say brave because I have been writing it for two and a half years and battled in my mind to publish it or not. I finally decided to take a chance. You can find it in my authors page in this board, but here it is as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdMrskMSDcs
I hope you enjoy!

P.S. Thank you for the post in regards to Chapter 7, I'll go and delete the extra right now!
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: A DETOUR FROM VEGAS (Complete!) M/M, M/L support CC too (TEEN) Chapter 1 - 10 4/21/2020

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Sure thought I left FB earlier. Wonder what I did wrong?
Anyway, I've enjoyed this finish. Especially the FMax being out in the open'
I'm glad Max stood up for Liz when she was attacked by Isabel and Michael.
Also, Kyle was a good, good friend.
Thanks for bringing this to us!
santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: A DETOUR FROM VEGAS (Complete!) M/M, M/L support CC too (TEEN) Chapter 1 - 10 4/21/2020

Post by santigold53 »

Thanks so much for the feedback and also the fb you've given me on Roswell Heaven too! I've really appreciated your support. I hope people will enjoy When The Fog Clears as well. It comes out May 1st!