A DETOUR FROM VEGAS (Complete!) M/M, M/L support CC too (TEEN) Chapter 1 - 10 4/21/2020

This is the place to post all your General Roswell fanfiction. Any Canon fics, which pick up directly from any episode of the show and that focus on Max/Liz, Michael/Maria, Isabel/Alex or Isabel/Jesse, Kyle/Tess, or all the couples together! Rule of Thumb: If Max healed Liz in the Crashdown in September 1999, then your fic belongs here. If it picks up from the show in any way, it belongs here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, jbangelo, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

A DETOUR FROM VEGAS (Complete!) M/M, M/L support CC too (TEEN) Chapter 1 - 10 4/21/2020

Post by santigold53 »

A DETOUR FROM VEGAS

Rating: Teen
Ship: Candy with some Liz and Maria friendship thrown in. Maybe light Dreamer too.
Summary: What if after the dismissive argument Michael had with Maria at the Gambling Table at Vegas lead to a different conclusion?
Disclaimer: The characters don’t belong to me. They belong to Metz, Katims and the WB/UPN. Got it?
Notes: In this version, Sheriff Valenti doesn’t catch them. They ditched school a little early just to make an early getaway for Spring Break. (No debate team excuse needed- thanks anyway Max), and Liz and Max have a much needed moment in Las Vegas. Thank you Crashdown for the script, so I could include the dialogue verbatim from VLV in here!
Enjoy and Read and Review!

CHAPTER 1

MARIA: Amazing news! I have an audition.
MICHAEL: Now, keep with me here folks I'm here to win and I don't see you [glaring at Maria for a quick moment].
MARIA: Hello? Don't you know what my dream has been since, like, the beginning of time? It's to start my singing career in a smoky Vegas, supper club.
[Michael rolls the dice and ignores Maria]
MARIA: I'll be up on stage right? In front of a great band, and I'll belt out some torch songs, there'll be a spotlight, my makeup will be perfect. I'll have...
MICHAEL: Maria, we had an agreement. Beat it.
MARIA: Are you not listening to me? This could be my big break, right now. Don't you want to come, and like cheer me on, and like give me a...
[Michael has just been announced the winner]
MICHAEL: Oh! The king, ladies, and gentlemen.
MARIA: Michael!
MICHAEL: Maria. I'm in the middle of something important!
[Maria, disappointed and saddened, leaves.]

After her upsetting run down with Michael, Maria decided to change into something more comfortable. Changing into jeans and white tank top, she put her clothes in her oversized purse and headed to find Liz. Waiting for the elevator doors to open she saw her blurred reflection in the doors and pulled her hair into a loose bun leaving a few stray blonde hairs framing the front of her face. She didn’t care. The thirst to look and feel glamorous had all about left her now. Her dream of signing in a Vegas Supper club had become obsolete. She even found it embarrassing she thought she could even get the chance in the first place.

“What was I thinking? No wonder Michael didn’t even pay attention to any of it!” she mused sadly in her head as she replayed the horrible conversation at the playing table in her mind over and over again. She couldn’t believe that even she had, for a moment, convinced herself that she could possibly discover her big break.

As the elevator doors opened two familiar faces appeared in front of Maria.

Alex looked at Maria’s glum face, noting she had all her belongings with her.

“Maria, you going somewhere?” Kyle asked as he also deduced to the same conclusion.

“I’m leaving,” Maria said as she briskly walked past them into the inside of the empty elevator.

Alex placed his hand on one of the doors to block the elevator from closing.

“Leaving to where?” Alex asked with a concerned look.

“Back to Roswell. Have you seen Liz?” asked Maria.

“She’s in the arcade, I think,” Kyle replied, stunned at Maria’s series of curt responses.

Maria nodded. “I’ll see you back home.”

“Ok,” said Alex hesitantly as he took his hand away from the door, while Kyle gave a casual salute sign to Maria as the doors closed in.

“Dude, that was not the way Maria acted on the flight to Vegas,” Kyle said wearily as he and Alex headed for their room.

Alex shook his head. “She was so excited and… cheery.”

“Excited? I thought her smile was so big it would crack her face!”

“I bet you Guerin had something to do with this. I mean that’s my guess anyway,” Alex stated regretfully. Alex began thinking about the time when he punched Michael in the face for canoodling with Courtney. Even if it was just to “gather information”, right then and there, he had wished in that moment he had hit him harder. How many times was that jerk of an alien going to hurt his best friend?

Kyle shook his head. “I really don’t understand why she puts up with Michael’s antics. Liz too when it comes to Max’s el presidente attitude. I don’t understand either of them!”

“I don’t even think I want to try to understand, my friend,” Alex said, slapping Kyle’s back as they reached their room.
Liz was playing on the pinball machine, her hands constantly on the sides of the machine, and her focus steadfast on the silver ball. Tess had left her alone, which finally gave Liz the peace she needed to deal with her thoughts. She was determined to keep her mind occupied and busy.

Just weeks ago, Future Max had paid her visit telling her that they were to get married in Vegas soon and that this course of direction had to be changed. If it didn’t, Tess would leave the group and without Tess, the alien hybrids wouldn’t be a complete unit. Tess’s detachment from the group would ultimately result in being the sole reason as to why Earth couldn’t be saved. Liz understanding the severity of Future Max’s words knew how important it was to keep Tess, Max, Isabel, and Michael together. But to her dismay, even though she was able to twist part of that future from coming true, she was upset that it couldn’t change it enough so that a trip to Vegas could’ve been avoided.

“Hey Chica,” Maria said, as she came up wearily from behind Liz as she placed her chin on Liz’s shoulder.

Liz whizzing around caught sight of the glum demeanor of her friend right away. Liz released her grasp on the pinball machine completely as she looked on at her distraught friend. She could hear the machine’s sounds surmising her loss, only adding to the sadness of the scene before her.

“Maria,” Liz started as she grasped Maria’s hand, “what’s wrong?”

Maria sighed as she shook her head rolling her eyes. “Why did we come here, Liz?”

Liz frowned at her in response. Maria let out a sad laugh.

“We should’ve just stayed home. Just let Max and Michael come on their own. Look at us. You’re trying to keep yourself busy, because I know what this place meant to you in a…. another life of sorts. I came thinking Michael and I had made some progress in our relationship after the whole Laurie episode, but who am I fooling? Why did I think this was a good idea?”

Liz squinted her eyes. “What happened? Did you and Michael have a fight or something?”

“Or something,” replied Maria. “I asked him for some support, but of course his poker game or was it Black Jack? Whatever game it was, it was more important than me and my dreams. Everything is more important than me. The alien chaos, his destiny, his rules, and his life. Everything!”

“Maria, you know that’s not true. Your life and dreams are very important,” Liz said reassuringly, as she hooked her arm around Maria’s.

“I know that, but he doesn’t feel that way. If the person you love doesn’t respect that, what does that say Liz?”

Liz was disappointed in Michael. On so many occasions Maria risked her life or put everything on hold for him. At a moment’s notice she could drop everything for him. Why was it so hard for him to be considerate and return the favor now and then? The only thing Liz could do was frown in response.

“I’m sorry Maria,” she said as the two girls leaned in closer to one another, hand in hand walking aimlessly out of the arcade.

Maria shrugged her shoulders. “I’ve given up. I’ve decided to head back home.”

“I’ll come with. The sooner I get out of this place the better,” Liz said as she pointed to her wristlet and backpack, signaling she had everything she needed and brought with her anyway.

Liz was just as ready to leave, for she was not able to put aside all of the memories Future Max had shared with her. Memories that once Liz encountered in another life.

As the two friends made a quick stop at the coffee cart, they sat outside and found a bench.

“This would’ve been your wedding day,” Maria said sadly to Liz as she stirred the red straw in her coffee cup. Liz nodded sadly as she took a sip of her coffee and gazed out at the sky. Maria noted her pensiveness and decided to change the subject and began to fill her in on her and Michael’s argument.

“I never even knew that Michael liked to gamble that much. Sure we’ve played poker once or twice with Kyle and Tess, but- “

“I hope that was the decent kind of poker game,” Liz said cocking one eyebrow in a teasing tone. To her delight it made Maria smile, which Liz internally celebrated. She was glad to see some of the glumness from Maria’s face finally dissipate.

“Of course it was! Anyway maybe we just don’t know much about each other after all,” Maria shrugged as she poured the cream to her hot cup of coffee.

The two headed for the bus depot to sit and wait for the next bus that happened to be leaving for Roswell, New Mexico.

“I was so happy for him Liz when he found out that he had some sort of family out there. To know that Michael had some human tie beyond that loser Hank, Liz, I can’t tell you how much that made me feel better. When I think of all the hurt Michael went through with that man, I…” Maria’s voice trailed off. She couldn’t even finish her sentence, it had caused her so much pain to think of the anguish that Michael had gone through for most of his life.

Maria had to pause a bit to control her thoughts and emotions on the subject so she could continue talking to Liz. Liz smiled remembering how Maria had told her of how Michael had come to her bedroom one rainy day looking for her compassion and comfort when Hank had hurt him badly. When it came to unconditional love Maria had a huge amount of it and Michael was so lucky to be on the receiving end of it.

“Granted, Isabel and Max, of course, they’re more like his real family. I honestly think Michael wanted to come out here just with Max so they could spend some brotherly time I guess. Maybe I intruded on it.” Maria shrugged her shoulders as she took a sip of coffee and looked out to the bustle of people at the depot.

Liz simply nodded in agreement. She sensed there was a distance between Max and Michael since the whole destiny thing as well.

“I’m so happy he has Laurie. Not just as someone like a sister of sorts, but also as a reminder that he’s tied to more, belongs to more, and is more beyond Hank,” Maria added softly, as Liz clasped her hand on Maria’s squeezing it for comfort.

Suddenly a tall figure towered over the girls blocking out the sunlight as a familiar voice called out.

“Parker. Can I talk to Maria for a minute?”

Maria, completely startled, almost spilled her coffee over as she and Liz looked up. Their faces were in complete shock for the person staring back at them was none other than Michael Guerin.
Last edited by santigold53 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: A DETOUR FROM VEGAS (TEEN) Chapter 1 - 9/14/17

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Just read this "over there" and I'm so glad you are posting it here too. This way I won't miss it for sure.
Love the way this has started out.
Thanks,
Carolyn
santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by santigold53 »

keepsmiling7: Thanks Carolyn! Thanks so much for your feedback, and for being attentive to my story since I'm a new roswell fanfic writer. So appreciated!!!

CHAPTER 2

Maria was mortified. Oh God! How much did he hear?

A hesitant Max Evans peeked from behind Michael. Liz couldn’t help but feel remorse for nothing else than the fact that it was supposed to be her wedding day with this brooding alien she began to lock eyes with. While she was sad of the day she was happy that he was suddenly close by now. Very close.

“No you may not,” Maria said crossing her arms over her chest as she stood. “We’re going home, aren’t we Liz.”

“That’s where we’re headed Michael. We don’t want to be here anymore,” Liz said solemnly never leaving Max’s gaze.

“Why?” Michael asked ignoring Liz’s reply.

“Isn’t it obvious Michael, you don’t want me here. You don’t want any of us here, but especially me. It’s fine I get it.”

Michael raised one eyebrow. “You’re not making any sense Maria.”

Maria sighed. It was the sigh that expressed finally being tired of having to explain everything out to Michael constantly.

“First you beg me to let you come, and then I say yes. Which means I did want you to come on this trip. Now you want to go and get away from here?” Michael said through gritted teeth with his arms crossed on his chest. “So explain to me, why the sudden change of heart?”

“Michael! If you don’t get it that’s your problem. I don’t have to explain anything.” Maria looked at Liz hoping Liz would follow her cue and come up with some one liners against Michael.

“Liz you’re going back too?” Max asked longingly.

Liz turned her attention to Max. His sad brown eyes looking deep into her own. She hated that they weren’t the exact way the used to be. So much had changed between her and Max, but at the same time, so much was still the same. He still looked at her the same way. He still talked to her the same way. And she still reacted the same way when he came near her- alert and in complete adoration followed by her heart racing. It was a reaction she couldn’t repress.

“Maria’s right Max. This was supposed to be for just the two of you,” Liz replied.

Maria could see from the corner of her eye that Max began to protest as he took a seat next to Liz. She really hoped that the two of them could work it out. It was a shame that Future Max had come and ruined everything for her two best friends. She knew how much Max had pined for Liz over the summer and then after.
She of all people understood his plight as it was the same one that Maria had for Michael since that “Dooms Day.” They day the Alien hybrids found out what their destiny was supposed to be.

Michael saw Maria, looking at her friends longingly. He knew what she was thinking. I bet she’s thinking why couldn’t she have what they had?

“Want to take a walk with me?” Michael asked.

Maria shook her head. “No, not really.” Maria swallowed some coffee hoping she could just avoid making eye contact with Michael as she took a few steps away from Liz and Max to offer them some privacy.

It was Michael’s turn to let out a sigh. “Come on let’s get you to the audition so you can sing Maria. Then you’ll be happy and we can just forget about this whole stupid thing,” he said as he reached for her.

Maria backed away with a mixed look of hurt and confusion.

This whole stupid thing?

It wasn’t just a stupid thing to Maria. Music to her meant something. It seemed more and more apparent that Michael just didn’t understand where Maria was coming from.

He didn’t show support in her endeavors, but when it came to his own alien centered ones, Maria never once flinched. She was always supportive always by his side.

Why can’t he just be by my side for once?

“No thanks,” she said firmly as she went back to sipping her coffee glancing back at Liz every so often. It looked like her and Max were in a heated conversation as Liz left the bench, with Max in tow behind her.

“I shouldn’t have come on this trip,” Maria said softly as she shook her head sadly. Michael was beginning to get really concerned. Maria’s demeanor has drastically changed from where it was when they first left Roswell.

The bus was pulling up. Maria was relieved and overjoyed at its arrival. It couldn’t have been better timing!

“Liz,” Maria called out. “The bus is here come on let’s go!”

Liz nodded and as she turned away from Max to head over to the bus, Max immediately grabbed her arm, turned her around and kissed Liz hard on the lips. Michael cocked one eyebrow up at the scene while Maria looked on in complete shock. Then a smile appeared on her face.

“Those two crazy lovebirds. When will they ever learn?” Maria said so softly she was sure that no one could hear, but unbeknownst to her Michael had.

“Guess they have some unfinished business to resolve,” Michael said as he scratched his eyebrow looking away from the couple.

“Good for them. I hope they figure it out.” Maria was genuinely happy for them. She only wanted the best for her “girlfriend” and best friend.

“Well I better go,” Maria said as she headed for the bus.

“Wait, if you’re going, I’m going too,” Michael said as he put the jacket he was holding on his arm, on himself.

“No, no no no! Michael Guerin you are not coming on this bus with me.”

“Can it Maria! I’m coming.”

“I did this to get away from you. I’m doing this for you. Isn’t this what you wanted? Just you and Max,” Maria said as she motioned to the area that Max and Liz were at.

“Well seeing as he’s a little preoccupied right now, my plans of a boy’s night out of debauchery is basically ruined.”

“Great so I’m just your last resort?” Maria retorted as she took the steps into the bus.

“Your words not mine,” he said casually as he plopped his backpack on one shoulder. The backpack had all the Dupree money in it. The whole time while they were at Vegas Michael kept it very close to him.

Maria shook her head. She couldn’t believe it.

“You still have your pals Alex and Kyle,” Maria pointed out as she took a seat nearer to the back, scooting in closer to the window.

Michael ignoring her statement, placed his backpack above on the compartment shelf as he took his jacket off taking a seat next to her.

“What are you doing?” Maria flabbergasted as her face twisted in repulse.

“Sitting.”

“I don’t want to sit next to you!” Maria screeched as she tried to pry her way out and get to another vacant seat.

The bus began to move out of the lot. Maria fell into Michael’s lap with a yelp.

“So you don’t want to sit next to me but on top of me is fine.”

Maria, grumbling, glared at Michael and moved out of his lap back to her seat.

“Whatever. At the first rest stop I’m finding a new seat,” she said with her arms crossed as she looked out the window.

“Fine by me.” Michael shrugged.

“Fine,” Maria repeated as she continued looking out the window.

Michael looked over at Maria. She was sad about him ignoring her at the dice table. He wasn’t an idiot he knew that much. He was so caught up on trying to fix things between Max and himself, he had been overlooking where a lot of the damage really lied. There were cracks in their relationship, representing big unresolved issues.

Perhaps even bigger issues than he and Max had in theirs. Michael wondered if he should’ve paid more attention into rectifying things between Maria and him first.
When they set out for Tucson with Laurie, Maria made sure that their intentions were clear. That if they were to venture out together to embark on what could be a very dangerous trip, they would have to be together again officially—as in boyfriend and girlfriend. A small curl appearing on his lips as he remembered the scene.

He found it simply entertaining that even in the heat of danger only Maria would make sure that they both understood the definition of their relationship. Establishing that factor in her “hurricane” like manner in the midst of all the chaos was truly entertaining for Michael though he would never admit it out loud.

After about thirty minutes, Michael looked over wondering if she was hungry. She didn’t stop staring on the window since the bus left the lot. Michael could tell it took every muscle in that blonde’s body not to exchange any words with him. Michael sighed, which caused Maria to flinch just a little.

After another 30 minutes, the draft in the bus caused goosebumps on Maria’s arms. She began to rub her arms, gently, trying to bring some warmth into her flesh. Michael noticing right away offered his jacket to Maria.

“Cold?” he simply asked as he offered the jacket above her lap.

“No thank you,” Maria replied firmly as she looked Michael dead in the eye, denying his considerate gesture, then turned back to
her window.

Michael snickered, rolling his eyes. “Fine stay cold. I don’t care,” he said shrugging his shoulders.

Maria closed her eyes feeling the pain of his words.

Of course he didn’t care.

But hearing them out loud that was another thing altogether so she chose to do something very uncharacteristic. She remained quiet. Michael feeling frustrated and a bit perplexed by her silence scratched his eyebrow and let out another.

“Just take it,” he ordered this time plopping the material on her lap.

Maria glanced over, seeing Michael just looking straight on, avoiding her gaze.

“If it will shut you up,” Maria murmured as she put on the jacket. It smelled just like him, a mixture of Eucalyptus and mint. Maria closed her eyes, transfixed by the scent, and the movement of the bus lulling her to sleep.

“Why didn’t you tell me all this?” Max asked as they sat next to the bay window of their luxury suite.

“How could I?” A single tear trickled down her cheek. She had just told Max everything about Future Max.

They had stayed up all night, with a cups of cocoa in their hands, as she retold every detail about that unforgettable day and what Future Max said the future would hold if the royal four didn’t stay together. Liz was strong and amazingly steadfast when it came to dealing under pressure. But the day was taxing because it kept reminding her of what could’ve been, what could’ve happened. She had missed out on the happiest day of her life, and so did Max. The pressure had penetrated her heart, and with that her undying love for Max. She couldn’t conceal it anymore, not from him.

“I did it to save you. I didn’t want what Future Max told me would occur, happen to Isabel, to Michael, to you,” Liz said with quiet sob. Max cupped Liz’s cheek as he kissed her softly on the lips.

Placing his forehead on hers he looked into her eyes.

“How did you keep it in so long?”

“I couldn’t. I eventually had to tell someone,” Liz replied quietly.

“Maria.” It was all Max had to say. He understood Liz more than anyone, probably even more than she understood herself.Liz nodded.

“So you didn’t sleep with Kyle after all huh?” It was more of a statement than a question, but Liz looked at her love, finally seeing a sense of relief that hadn’t been there for weeks.

Liz shook her head.

“Wow.”

Liz looked puzzled at Max’s expression of astonishment. Max smiled apologetically.

“Sorry, it’s just really apparent that you all are great friends. Amazing friends to each other in fact. I mean the way it sounds Kyle just did what you asked him to do, no questions asked. Then when it comes to Maria you can tell her anything and she’s amazingly loyal and trustworthy. No wonder Alex has your back all the time, not to mention Maria’s. You guys are so lucky to have one another.”

“You have that too Max,” she said reassuringly. “I’ve never seen a pair of siblings as close as you and Isabel. Michael has never left your side he’s so loyal. He even wanted this trip to be all about you and him. You have great friends. We’re both lucky in that aspect,” she said smilingly.

Max smiled at Liz’s thoughtfulness, but Max knew his relationship with Isabel and Michael was definitely a little strained at the moment. The fact that Isabel had to lie at first about being Vilandra in the first place and that Michael and him were distant meant they weren’t in a good place.

“Things will get better. You still have an amazing bond with them, and so lucky to have each other.” Liz said reassuringly as if she was reading his thoughts.

Liz always understood what Max was thinking just by looking at his face. She knew that while there was tension between the aliens, there was still loyalty and love.

“I guess you’re right. We are lucky. Speaking of Michael, I wonder if he and Maria got back to Roswell yet.” Max pondered out loud.

“Hmm. Let me text her,” Liz said as she pulled out her Nokia from her purse.

Text Message: To Maria- HOME YET? P.S TOLD MAX EVERYTHING ABOUT F.M.
santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by santigold53 »

CHAPTER 3

Maria awoke to the sound of her cellphone beeping in her purse, and a heavy arm wrapped around her shoulders. She had fallen asleep on Michael’s chest, and his chin rested gently on top of her head.

Maria, making a soft coughing noise, woke Michael up as she got herself free from Michael’s embrace. Once slowly coming to his senses, Michael quickly retracted his arm out of embarrassment. He and Maria both blushed distancing themselves from one another in their seats. Flustered and half asleep, she turned her attention back at her phone.

It was a text message from Liz.Maria repeated the words from the text in a whisper. Michael quickly glancing over saw the text, but the letters “F.M” caught his eye.

“F.M?” he asked.

Maria quickly put the phone away in the purse. It dawned on her that Max now knew the deep secret that Liz had held on to so tightly for so long. Would that mean that the others deserved to know as well? Isabel and Michael? Her guess would be that Max would want them to. But would it be Maria’s responsibility to tell Michael this news? The thought itself daunted her considering they weren’t amicable at all. At least not in the present moment.

“Nothing,” Maria said dismissively. Michael scratched his eyebrow reminding himself to bring it up later. Something about it didn’t seem right to just disregard it.

“Michael are we home yet?”

Rubbing his eyes and letting out a big yawn he glanced up to the front of the bus.

“What the?” There was snow. “Maria, when the bus came to the depot did you by chance catch the city that was written in lights on the sign?”

Maria swallowed. She couldn’t remember. She was so preoccupied with her emotions, distraught over her and Michael’s squabble, and venting to Liz that she realized she hadn’t paid any attention to seeing if it was the right bus or not.

“Oh God!” Michael bellowed as he realized from Maria’s expression that she had no clue. “Maria there is snow outside. We’re definitely not in Roswell!”

“Maybe it’s just….a stop,” Maria said hoping that they were just approaching their first area.

Michael hoped so too. He took his watch that was connected to the chain of his pants for a minute glancing at the time.

“We’ve been on this bus for 9 hours!”

“Oh my god, did we miss all the rest of the stops?” Maria cried.

“How the fuck did I sleep 9 hours straight?” Michael exclaimed as he combed his fingers through his hair, dumbfounded he let his guard down that long.

Maria gave him a concerning look. She knew that Michael never slept that long. It was all thanks to his Alien genes, at least that’s what he always told Maria. Being that Michael didn’t require much sleep, how come Michael did sleep so soundly for so long just now on the bus? Had he been not getting enough lately? Granted the recent events of dealing with a jellyfish DNA targeting monster, discovering you came from a whole other family, and getting shot were enough to make any normal person lose sleep. It wouldn’t be surprising if Michael was feeling very overwhelmed.

As she softly called out his name in concern to address the possibility that Michael was feeling tense, all at once she was awoken from her moment of weakness, as he stood abruptly towards the shelf compartment, checking to see if the rest of the Dupree money was still intact inside his backpack.

Letting a sigh of relief he slammed back into the seat with his bag in his lap.

“Well we still have the money.”

Maria raised her eyebrow. Typical. Money was more important. How could she even think that talking to Michael and showing any sign of concern was an option? Stay strong Chica she said to herself. Stay mad. Stay strong!

“Thank God,” she said mockingly. Apparently Michael didn’t appreciate the note of sarcasm in her tone though.

“Yeah it is in fact because if I wasn’t with you you’d have no money, your broke ass would be in the middle of nowhere all by yourself!” he said close to her face.

Maria flinched, but refusing to be talked down to, she pushed the tears back.

“That would’ve been better because then at least I wouldn’t have been stuck with you!”

“Right and broke,” he murmured under his breath.

“I still have some of my share left Michael. I would’ve been fine,” she protested as she brought her attention back out the window.

“Ladies and Gentleman we have arrived to our destination. The Arabella Ski Resort in Vail, Colorado. Enjoy your stay and don’t forget to give the concierge your rating for our Bus Company. We hope your experience was more than satisfactory and you decide to use Luxury Mammoth Transportation again!”

“Vail, Colorado!” Michael exclaimed. “I can’t believe we’re out here! What the fuck Maria?”

“I didn’t ask you to come with me Michael! What do you want me to say? That I’m sorry? Geeze! Well fine then! I’m sorry I got us lost, but most of all I am sorry I even came on this bus to get stuck alone with you in Vail Colorado, of all places!"

She was deeply upset, Michael could tell from the strain in her voice. He didn’t know why Maria and he always seemed to get each other mad. It was like they got pleasure from it at times, in some weird twisted, yet passionate way.

“Maria, wait…” Pushing past him and ignoring what seemed to be the start of some apology, Maria began to make her way out, crossing through the aisle as the other passengers began to get their belongings from the above compartments. Since Maria didn’t have much with her, she was quickly making way through when suddenly a cane stopped her in her tracks.

“I’m sorry dear didn’t see you there,” replied the older woman with the pleasant face. She had a delightful smile, and somehow just seeing the woman’s warm and friendly features made Maria’s unpleasant ones dissipate.

“I’m sorry. I should’ve been more careful there,” Maria said offering a timid smile.

“Maria, can’t you wait?” snarled Michael as she finally caught up to her.

“Oh look! Wayne! Is that them? The couple you said that reminded you of us when you used the lavatory at the back of the bus earlier?”

Maria and Michael looking confused caught sight of the older gentleman next to her who was holding their bags.

“Why yes! Honeymoon I presume?” he asked them with a twinkle in his eye.

“Oh, no—“

“Yes. Sorry and you are?” Michael said cutting Maria off receiving a death glare from her.

Why on earth did he just say they were on their honeymoon?

Michael shrugged his shoulders in response to Maria’s confused yet raging expression, and brought his attention back to the couple.

“This was ours too. Now we come here every year for our anniversary. Why, you two really do look just like us! He caught you guys sleeping in each other’s arms in the back of the bus. Wayne I think was getting all soft when he saw you both.”
“I did no such thing Luann,” the older gentleman said as he shook his head.

“Come on mama we got to’ get out of here,” he said as he let Luann out first.

“Well it was nice talking to you both. You’re going to love it here!”

“Thanks,” Michael called out cheerfully. Maria stared at him with her mouth open, astonished at the out of character cheerful demeanor he was displaying to the older couple.

“What the hell?”

“What?” Michael barked, shrugging his shoulders.

“You lied saying we are on our honeymoon, then you turn all goody-goody, Leave it to Beaver on me?” Maria asked exasperatedly.

“Hey, keep your voice down,” he whispered harshly in her ear. “People don’t know that we’re just two high school students, one who happens to be not of this earth! You want them to know that we skipped school, ventured to Vegas and now made a detour to this Vail place?”

Maria crossed her arms in response and just continued her way out of the bus. As they got out, Maria became transfixed at the beautiful scenery of the resort. Arabella did seem like a beautiful winter wonderland to indulge in, just like in the advertisements shown in those luxurious travel magazines.

Michael and Maria took in the scene in awe.

“It is breathtaking,” Maria said softly as she pulled her arms tighter around her chest to guard her from the frigid air. Michael noticed Maria hugging his jacket around her tighter as she drank in the view. He was hoping maybe she would show a hint of excitement, the kind she had when they made their way out to Vegas. Sadly it didn’t seem that way as she trudged her way slowly on the cobblestone path to the entrance. Michael frowned, feeling very guilty that he was responsible for this sad and miserable change in Maria.

“Maria, wait a second,” Michael called out as he placed a hand gently on her shoulder. Maria turned slowly to face him. In response to the cold air, her cheeks had turned a bright pink as well as her lips. Michael swore she looked like an Angel.

“What?” asked Maria snapping Michael out of his trance.

“Oh. Sorry just thought maybe we should change the name on our I.D’s. Keeping our real names and age under wraps would probably be best till we get all this straightened out and head back to Roswell again.”

“Ok. But can we do it inside? It’s getting dark and it’s really cold out here,” she said her teeth beginning to chatter.

“Sure,” Michael said with a nod, resisting the strong urge to wrap his arm around her to keep her warm, making her feel cared for and secure. She definitely expressed wanting space from him, so to his dismay, he just let Maria lead the way inside the resort.

TBC....
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Just read this again......
Sure glad the Roswell gang wasn't in Vegas last week when all hell broke loose.
Happy Liz finally told Max about FMax........now I'm anxious to see his later reactions.
Of course Maria would know, and there was no sleeping with Kyle.
Hope you'll be back soon,
Carolyn
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Eva »

Beautiful start! I'm hooked already!
Take a look at Eva's world
Parker1947
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Parker1947 »

Love the story. Well done, and I am excited to see how it unfolds...
santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by santigold53 »

keepsmiling7 Thanks for the love Carolyn! Here's the next chapter! Hope you enjoy.
Eva Thank you for the kind feedback so happy to hear someone is hooked!
Parker1947 Here comes more unfolding! This story is done, but I will post a couple chapters at a time ;-)

A/N
Please be warned...there will be some "questionable language" in the next couple of chapters. ENJOY-- and please give me feedback as it is my first Roswell fic- EVER!

CHAPTER 4

“Couple’s suite I presume?” asked the Concierge desk man.

Michael took his and Maria’s ID’s under the table and quickly changed their names with a flash. They were now Madison and Matthew Scott. Maria laughed internally at how Michael still played with their names while keeping their respective "M's" intact. At least it was an improvement from Margarita!

“Sure,” replied Michael.

“Mr. Scott, will you be paying with a credit card?”

“It’s actually Dr. Scott, and no we prefer to pay with cash. Honeymoon. Kept the wedding small so we wouldn’t be pestered and bothered,” Michael added with a smile.

Maria, impressed by the detail, couldn’t help but curl her lips a bit into a subtle smile. It was these moments with Michael that made it so hard for her to stay strong and angry with him.

“Of course Dr. Scott we understand. We’ll make sure that no one bothers you.”

“Please no forwarded calls either. I have a great Doctor in my place that’s on-call, so don’t fall for any excuses. If it’s a real emergency I have my cell phone and beeper on me.” Michael added, again making Maria impressed.

“Of course, Dr. Scott. No interruptions! I understand completely. Any luggage?”

“No, why bother? We got all we need right here, right honey?” he said as he grabbed Maria’s hand by surprise.

“Of course honey,” Maria said forcefully through gritted teeth, trying to put on the act as well. She held on to Michael’s hand.

Are we really going to get away with this?

The concierge man gave them their electronic card keys and pointed them to the direction of the elevators. When they got inside, Maria immediately let go of Michael’s hand and took to the other side of the elevator. Michael just sighed and scratched his eyebrow. He wasn’t shocked at Maria’s reaction per say, but he wasn’t exactly expecting that either.

When they got to their room, Maria was disappointed that while the place was indeed big, royally furnished, had lots of space, and definitely luxurious, it had only one bedroom --with one bed. No space for them to be a part. Frowning at the entrance of the bedroom and its grandly decorated king sized bed almost as if the inanimate object was teasing her, she walked past the threshold into what seemed to be the living room area. She took Michael’s jacket off that she had on since the bus ride and carefully placed it on the couch.

Poking around trying to find matches to light the fireplace, a fire all of a sudden appeared burning the wood, immediately radiating heat into the room. Maria knowing full and well that it was Michael’s powers that turned on the fire, looked behind to thank him but found his finger on a switch.

As if reading her thoughts he merely replied, “I guess the fireplaces are electronically controlled at the resort for safety precautions.” He shrugged as he went to the T.V. to turn on any exciting games or matches that might be on.

“I should let Liz know we are ok,” Maria said behind Michael as he surfed the tube.

“Go for it,” was Michael’s short reply as Maria made her way to the bedroom.

Once inside, Maria rested her back against the double doors. She still felt emotionally raw about the whole scene back in Vegas. Sure it wasn’t one of their biggest arguments, but it still resonated a lot with her, and it was still fresh in her mind. The fact that he couldn’t put something aside for just one moment to acknowledge something that meant a lot to her caused a lot of pain.

Ever since she became a part of the “I Know an Alien Club”, she was steadfast and loyal to Michael and the group. She genuinely cared for him, and while she knew in her deepest of hearts that he did too, he needed to show that more. Because unbeknownst to Michael, Maria was beginning to feel neglected and disposable.Maria sat on the bed as she called Liz.

“Hello? Maria?” cried a frantic Liz on the receiving end.

Maria took her cell phone off her ear. The voice sounded really muffled, so she decided to talk directly into the receiver.

“Liz? Can you hear me?”

“Barely.”

“Hold on let me get near a window,” Maria said as she skirted to the window.

Figures. Stuck in a resort with Spaceboy and again facing cell phone challenges. This is reminding me of a previous abduction all over again!

Maria huffed as she remembered the time Michael stole her Jetta, kidnapped her down to Marathon Texas, and threw her cellphone out the window.

“Can you hear me now Liz?”

“Yes! Maria! Oh my God! Are you home?”

“If only that were true. I must have gotten sidetracked and boarded the wrong bus! I’m in Vail, Colorado. We ended up a luxury ski resort.”

“Vail, Colorado? At least Michael’s with you so you’re not alone right?” Liz said trying to make Maria feel a little better. Maria frowned.

“Hello, Liz! Remember? Michael and I were not on good terms. And yes I am with him but—“

“I know, but he’s the last person you want to be around right now, right?”

“Right.” Maria began to pace a little back and forth, but didn’t stray too far from the window fearing she would lose signal. “I’ll survive. Let’s just change the subject,” Maria said as she brushed the bangs out of her face. “Just tell me what happened with you and Max.”

“Maria, are you ok?” Liz asked. She loved how Maria would always put Liz’s concerns and needs into account, but Liz knew that Maria was upset.

Maria didn’t answer.

Liz sighed. If she didn't get caught up in Maria’s emotional meltdown and be distracted by Max, Liz probably would’ve been more vigilant about Maria boarding the right bus. Liz felt a bit guilty about not being more attentive.

“I shouldn’t have lost my sight on you when Max came over. I didn’t mean to ignore—“

“Relax chica,” Maria said as she sat crisscross against the wall, right under the window pane. “Let’s just move on to you and Max, please,” Maria said almost pleadingly again brushing off the need to talk to about her current situation.

Liz let out a sigh. “I told him everything, Maria. I couldn’t hold this in from him anymore.”

It was Maria’s turn to sigh. “I’m surprised you kept it from him this long,” Maria admitted. “Does the rest of the gang know?”

“We’re going to tell them this evening at dinner. What a way to start off Spring Break huh?”

Maria scoffed and rolled her eyes in agreement. “Yeah, some start alright. At this point I just want this week to be over.”

“Maria, I’m sorry. I should’ve been there for you.”

“You’ve had a lot on your mind.”

“Yeah but you have too, and you went through all that Dupree stuff.”

“Yeah well, it’s all part of what entails being in our little Alien Mafia right?”

That made Liz chuckle. “Yeah, I guess. Um, are you going to tell Michael?”

“Me? I would’ve thought you and Max would’ve wanted to be the one to do that.”

“Well it’s just that Michael would want to know sooner than later, don’t you think?
Besides, next to me you were the only one that knew about the whole Future Max stuff.”

“Ugh, it’s going to be one more thing that aggravates him.”

“What do you mean?” Liz asked honestly puzzled.

“Well I already got us lost and now when I tell him that I’ve been withholding important information from him, information that has to do directly with his Alien side and his future, he’ll be more upset with me,” Maria said sadly biting her lip.

“He’ll understand Maria.”

Maria nodded. “Maybe.” After a little pause, Maria continued. “Why can’t Max just make the initiative to call Michael and tell him, himself? Are things really that distant between those two?”

“Well, Max thinks the reason why Michael made this impulsive suggestion to go to Vegas in the first place, was probably to get away from all the Alien stress lately. I think Max doesn’t want to bother him about it just yet.”

“Yet, you’re suggesting I be the one to tell him?” Maria countered.

Liz sighed. “Point taken. You know what? Do whatever you feel is right in the moment. Just know the whole gang will know by the end of the day,” Liz said gently understanding where her friend was coming from.

“Ok. Well, it’s almost 7 pm here in Colorado. Can’t believe I’m missing the first dinner of Spring Break with you guys when I’m the one that planned it!” Maria cried.

“I really wish you were here too Maria.”

“You’re going to love the dress I picked out for you too. It’s a sexy red number, Max will love it!” Maria cried followed by a light chuckle.

Liz laughed.

“To think I even picked out a dashing suit for Spaceboy,” Maria said as her voice trailed off.
“Wow! Tie and all?”

“Tie and all. Bet everyone would’ve loved to have seen that!” Maria burst out, as she tucked a piece of bang behind her ear. She was really missing Liz, and wishing she could be having fun with all her other friends in Vegas. She was beginning to regret that she left the vibrant city in the first place.

“Come back here soon then.” Liz’ suggestion was appealing, but was it realistic?

“What do you mean skip Roswell and just go back to Vegas?”

“Yeah, I mean why not. You have the money and the rest of the week off.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Maria had to admit, she definitely still had the means and time on her hands to turn her current situation around. “I don’t know. I’ll see. Just promise me one thing, Liz.”

“What?”

“Don’t get married without me! Especially in some sleazy Elvis chapel!”

“Maria! Of course not!”

The two girls laughed a bit and said their goodbyes. Maria promised Liz that she would let her know when they would leave Vail, Colorado and where her next destination would be. Wherever it was she decided to go, she hoped it would be better than being stuck with Michael, being they were on such bad terms with each other.

Maria wanted desperately to take a shower and wash the terrible day off her body. She came out of the bedroom and saw the back of Michael’s head as he flipped through channels still sitting on the couch. She didn’t have enough extra clothes on her but remembered there was a gift shop in the lobby before they had come up. Perhaps she would be able to find some clothes there.

“Michael I’m going to head down to buy a few items.”

“How long will you be gone for?”

Maria shrugged. Why did he care? “I don’t know. Why?”

“Well, I was just thinking about dinner that’s all.”

“Go ahead and eat without me,” Maria said as she left for the door unnoticed by Michael as he continued on.

“How can I eat without you, Maria? Quit being stubborn I know you must be hungry. Maria?” he said as he turned his head finally from the TV. But Maria was gone.

Maria perused around some dresses and tops. She liked wearing two pieces, so she opted for some spaghetti strap tank tops and skirts to wear in the resort. She got a pair of sweatpants, two t-shirts and a pair of shorts for sleeping in. She was hoping to do some shopping with Liz on the strip, the whole group did, which is why they didn’t pack much. It was easier to ditch school early to get started on their Spring Break and get on their flight without being noticed by school staff.

She luckily had her coat with her that was still stuffed inside her oversized bag. Granted it wasn’t too good against the snow, but she didn’t feel the need to go outside at all at the resort. No skiing for her. She just wanted to get the hell out of Vail as soon as she could. But first she had to decide where to head to: Back to Vegas, or back home to Roswell. She wondered if Michael had any thoughts on what he wanted to do as well.

“You know you and your husband look so adorable,” said a voice from behind Maria. As she turned she was met with the kind lady she ran into on the bus.

“Oh! Hi again,” Maria said timidly as she combed a piece of hair behind her ear.

“Sorry didn’t mean to scare you,” the woman said with her hands up as she walked closer to Maria.

“No, no you didn’t it's fine. Luann right?”

“Yes, the one and only! You know, I’m not kidding when I say you two remind me so much of ‘Wayney’ and me when we were your age.”

“‘Wayney’? Oh! Wayne, your husband if I remember correctly.”

The older woman nodded with a smile. “Are you guys enjoying your stay here?”

No! Definitely not! “Well, we’re sort of…”

“Bickering” Luann guessed.

Maria laughed, embarrassingly. “That obvious huh?”

Luann chuckled. “Well, I can spot it since I engage in the past time myself! Not willingly all the time of course!”

Maria smiled at that. Then she became very serious. “Well it’s just you know, newly wedded squabbles and such,” Maria said hoping to dismiss the conversation.

“Wayne and I fight like that to this day!”

Maria cocked an eyebrow up, “Really? You mean it doesn’t end?” Maria said exasperatedly as she put her hand to her chest in surprise.

Luann laughed again, her kind eyes showing a mixture of remorse and empathy for the girl. “Yeah well it can for a while, and then it starts back up again. It gets better the way it does with all couples but what you and your sweetheart have is passion and tons of it! I should know!”

Maria began to let her guard down, smiling at Luann. She knew that there were other bickering couples out there like her and Michael but to be thought of as a couple of passion that was a first!

“I never thought of it that way,” Maria said thinking out loud.

“All couples disagree, they’ll make up, and the cycle goes on and on. And some couples spin in the cycle faster like, the way you and your sweetheart probably do.”

Maria nodded as she processed the assessment. Their banter sure did come off volatile, definitely neurotic at times, but now that she thought about it was indeed passionate as well.

“Don’t fret, it has its advantages,” Luann said with a wink. Maria couldn’t help but stifle a giggle at Luann’s promiscuous implication. Luann sure had some sass, and Maria was loving every bit of it!

“Well, I better be going—sorry. I don’t think I ever caught your name?” Luann said as she offered her hand out to shake Maria’s.

“Ma- Madison,” Maria replied hesitantly as she almost forgot what her pseudo name was this time. With a smile, she shook Luann’s hand.

“Madison,” Luann said with a nod. “You and your sweetheart?” pausing hoping Maria would fill in the blank.

“Uh, Matthew…Matt for short,” Maria said internally applauding herself for sounding very convincing.

“Well, you and Matt have a wonderful time here! Enjoy your stay!”

With a soft “thanks” from Maria, Luann left the gift shop with a bag of items she must have already purchased. As Maria made her way to the cash register she thought about the situation she was in and how the best way it was to deal with it. Do she and Michael leave the resort together? Do they go their separate ways? She just wasn’t sure which decision was best, but she knew ONE thing.

She was definitely feeling upset that she was missing out on a wonderful night with her friends, who were back in Vegas.
santigold53
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: A DETOUR FROM VEGAS M/M, M/L support CC too (TEEN) Chapter 1 - 9/14/17

Post by santigold53 »

CHAPTER 5

It wasn’t that Michael was in a hurry to leave or go anywhere from Vail. Being in the resort for a few days with Maria, wasn’t the worst thing in the world. Sure, he wanted to have a little fun with Max and possibly mend their friendship in the process, but more than anything he wanted to make sure Max understood how Michael felt about his newfound authoritative attitude. Their friendship was definitely strained and Michael had a lot of resentment towards Max, but he remained loyal and steadfast and always held his tongue when he questioned Max's 'orders'. Now Michael realized what a terrible decision that was so he was hoping to bring it up to Max at some point in Vegas.

Michael knew the many times he messed up and how Max just as loyally bailed him out, but there were moments where he felt like Max just wasn’t the same anymore. The whole I AM KING thing had really gone to his head, and sometimes Michael didn’t always agree with Max’s decisions. He honestly felt like Max's judgment was clouded. Was it because of Tess? Was she influencing him? What's more, why didn't Max ever tell Michael about whatever it was she was telling him?
Then again it was just a hunch. Maybe Max wasn't being influenced by Tess. However, as much as Michael rather brush the thought to the side he couldn't. He knew Tess was one of them, but something about her always made Michael be on extra guard.

Letting loose was something Michael didn’t just want to do, he needed to. He needed to release all the anguished feelings that had accumulated as of late. It had been hard. Realizing where his human side had come from, a man by the name of Charles Dupree that was abducted by Michael’s own people unwillingly was a tough pill to swallow. Finding out that he had a distant relative, a somewhat sort of sister, was another crazy surprise. And while attacking an alien jellyfish crystal monster and getting shot in the arm was not enough, he had managed to save the world all in one day as well.

Talk about needing to let loose!

But through it all, he had his Maria by his side. If she hadn’t been with him through it all it probably would’ve been impossible for Michael to tackle all of it on his own. She was such a great asset during such high stake incidents. The rest of the group didn't give her enough credit nor privileged enough to see this side of her. Their loss. Maria was magnificent in these ventures.

Michael decided to go to the travel and information desk at the lobby. He perused through some pamphlets and finally found a bus schedule. Maria and he could probably just fly back to Vegas or Roswell, wherever it was they wanted to go.

“Wait a minute. Where do we want to go?” Michael thought to himself as he closed the pamphlet.

Folding and placing it in his shirt pocket he went to one of the information desks that was manned by a very attractive lady. Unbeknownst to Michael, she had been checking him out the entire time he was there. Her red hair made the red lipstick on her lips look paler in comparison.

“Hey,” saluted Michael. The woman had just hung the phone down.

“Yes, Mr.?” she asked with a slight pause as she batted her eyelashes and shamelessly drank up Michael.

“It’s Doctor actually. Dr. Scott,” Michael beamed with a cocky smile. He would never get sick of saying that! Michael could tell from the woman’s reaction that she ate it right up! She would definitely be the go to person he went for information while they stayed here since she seemed so, forthcoming, for lack of a better word.

“I was wondering when the next bus would come here, either to leave to another city or perhaps an airport.”

“Oh my gosh! You didn’t hear? Have you been in your room in the past 15 minutes?”

Michael looked confused and shook his head. “No. Heard what?”

“The Winter storm advisory status turned from watch to warning. We’re expecting a huge downpour of snow tonight.”

“What? I know I’m in a Ski Resort that’s full of snow, so excuse my surprise,but…” Michael huffed motioning his hand for the lady to continue.

The lady smiled.

“Sometimes we have to use the imitation stuff, but we usually get a large amount of the real stuff here. It’s just this is a freak storm and a pretty dangerous one at that. At least that’s the information we have been getting. Potential blizzard,” she said shrugging her shoulders as she turned the computer screen towards Michael. The purple region over Colorado on the Doppler radar map, indicated a blizzard trail of snow. Michael frowned.

“Great,” Michael murmured under his breath clearly disappointed.

“But don’t worry Dr. Scott. We are always prepared!” the woman exclaimed trying to cheer Michael up. “We have amazing restaurants, chefs, and pristine service 24/7! We have great amenities like a gym, spa, and clinic with a real registered Nurse, and a Bikram Yoga studio! Our gift shops can’t be matched and we have fun indoor activities and areas, like the pool, indoor ice skating rink, and my favorite- the bath house with Jacuzzis,” she said lasciviously with a wink.

Michael tried to smile but he just couldn’t fake it. With a nod of acknowledgement, he went back to the elevators.

Maria was definitely going to love this, he thought sarcastically as he pushed the “up” button.

“What?” Maria exclaimed as she replayed the answering message on their suite room phone. “I can’t believe this!”

Maria turned her head to the sound of the door opening knowing it was Michael.

“Maria?”

“In here,” Maria called out as she plopped herself on the couch.

As Michael made his way into the living room, it was apparent to Maria that he was pretty annoyed. Michael was infuriated that Maria left without telling him exactly where she was going. Saying she was going to get a few items could’ve been anything and could’ve meant she went anywhere inside the resort given all the amenities the redhead at the information desk listed off. He didn’t like that Maria was keeping him in the dark, and he knew it stemmed from her feeling frustrated with him. While he agreed they were definitely irritated with each other, he didn’t like the fact that he was indirectly responsible for any potential threat against Maria.

Anything could’ve happened to her! Didn’t she know that? She needs to be more careful!

“Where were you?” Michael asked sternly, as he stood over Maria looking down at her on the couch.

“Michael did you hear? There’s a freak storm that’s keeping us stranded in Vail!” Maria cried crossing her arms ignoring Michael’s question.

“I know, I heard,” Michael replied letting out a sigh. “Looks like we are stuck here for a while.”

“Great,” Maria said sarcastically as she rolled her eyes. She really wanted to take a shower, but she was hungry at the same time too. Ugh! Decisions, decisions.

“Trust me this isn’t what I wanted either,” Michael said scratching his eyebrow as he looked out to the snow studded night sky.

“Then why did you come?” Maria pressed.

“Because of you! I could tell as soon as Max talked to Liz that she was going to ditch you and you would be alone and I didn’t want you to be in danger!” Michael argued as he raised his hands in annoyance.

Maria was clearly offended. “What? You’re one to talk! Saying I love you and then avoiding me all summer, that’s ditching Michael! She wasn’t ditching me!”

Michael merely scoffed at Maria’s accusation with a grunt. This made Maria even madder!

“Liz has had a lot on her plate, you don’t even know!”

“I don’t care to know! Don’t you think it’s kind of messed up she left you there? I mean at least I came along.”

Maria threw her hands in there air in frustration. “I didn’t ask you to come Michael!” Maria enunciated as she got up from the couch.

“You know, just a fucking thank you would suffice,” Michael retorted.

Maria rolled her eyes. “Look Michael I don’t know how long we have to be stranded in this resort together, but I know we can agree on one thing. We don’t need to be near each other.”

“Fine,” Michael started as he got up too and close to Maria. “You know what? That’s probably the best idea you had all day.”

“Yeah, ok,” Maria said dismissively as she made her exit to the bedroom so she could take a long hot much needed shower to calm herself. Or maybe a relaxing bath would do the trick.

“I’m serious what kind of idiot goes on a bus without reading the sign.”

“Idiot huh? Well gee golly then, what do you call a person then that blindly follows the person that didn’t check the bus sign before getting on it in the first place?” howled Maria with her hands on her hips.

Michael began to open and close his mouth a few times dumbfounded, unable to find a proper comeback. Maria’s lips curled into a playfully malicious smile. Crossing her arms she waited for comeback, and just before she decided he threw in the towel, and was about to continue on her way to the bedroom…

“Well at least I’m not the one idiotic enough to believe that I could be discovered at a Vegas supper club and become a famous singer!”

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Maria stopped in her tracks. Her back facing Michael’s. Michael swallowed in nervousness. As soon as the stinging words left his lips he wish he could’ve taken it back but it was too late now. He should’ve never have said it.
Maria didn’t turn her head back, nor give a retort. She didn’t want Michael to see the shock mixed with immense sadness in her face. Closing her eyes, and squeezing them tight, she tried her best not to let the tears flow. She couldn’t even speak, she was so burned by his words, and Michael winced knowing what he had said caused major damage.

“Maria,” Michael started as he came up behind her grabbing her arms. Maria freed herself from his grasp by slowly turning and taking a step back, now standing at the threshold of where the bedroom began.

“You’re right Michael, I am the idiot here,” she said shaking her head with a sad smile. “I have been there for you so much Michael, so much.” Her voice was shaky. To stop her hands from trembling she placed them in her jean pockets so she could finish saying what was on her mind. All of the things, she had held in for so long.

“No Maria, you’re not I’m the one—“

“You just don’t really need me except when it comes to my car, my money, or just someone to make out with."

Is that what she thinks of me? Some horny jack ass?

"The joke really is on me Michael. I am the idiot.”

“Maria—“

But before Michael could finish his sentence, Maria slid the double doors in Michael’s face.

Maria took a few steps away from the doors, realizing that on the other side, contained all her happiness and sorrow in one person. How one person could do that, baffled her and scared her at the same time. Bringing her finger tips up to her lips to stifle her cries, tears relentlessly pouring down her cheeks, she went to the shower, hoping to wash away the scene.

Michael could hear the shower turn on immediately after Maria went inside. He could open the doors with his powers but what was the point? Nothing he could say right now could rectify the sadness he had caused in those beautiful green eyes. Cursing himself he punched the wall with side of his fist, briskly picked up his jacket and headed out for the door. He needed to clear his head, and find a way to make things better with Maria.

Michael went in the elevator and hit the lobby button. Hopefully there would be something down there to keep his mind busy while not having to run into that annoying red-head again. As he perused around, he saw a couple of gift shops, restaurants, and to his elation a bar. Perhaps he could sit down, grab a soda maybe even a meal. The barstools reminded him of the red ones at the CrashDown.

As he took a seat at the bar, he noticed the shelves, endlessly filled with bottles and bottles of whiskey. It was definitely taking him back to another time. A time before he met Maria. A much sadder time. A-Drunk-Hank-sleeping-on-the-couch time.

With a sigh, Michael decided to sit at the bar and grab a drink. The bartender looked at Michael, noticed his silver rings.

“Married?”

Michael nodded. Married. That was the story he invented. Not Maria, he did. That said something...

“Well, what will it be sir?”

Michael shrugged, looking lost at all the bottles. “How about just a coke to start with for now?”

The bartender smiled, nodded his head and went off to get a glass.

“Not much of a drinker eh?” said an unfamiliar voice.

Michael looked over to find a familiar man. The same man that was on the bus. Great I have to put the charming act on again.

“Depends on the mood I guess,” Michael replied with a slight smirk, applauding himself for sounding very convincing. There was no way that he would ever touch the alcohol stuff after seeing Max’s fiasco on Liz’s Blind Date Night. They really didn’t need a repeat of that.

The older man nodded. “I never really drank a lot. Maybe like special holidays some cognac.”

The bartender came to Michael with his order of coke. Saying a thank you, Michael took a sip, and wished right then and there that he had some tabasco on him.

“Where’s your sweetheart?”

Sweetheart? Of course. Maria.

“Um, she’s back in the room.”

“Ah. Relaxing?”

“Yeah she likes….um bubble baths,” Michael replied as he took another sip of his coke almost choking on it as a vision of Maria, naked in a lavender scented bubble bath came into view. Michael shook his head a couple of times, hoping to get composure of himself before he lost it at the bar.

“Yeah Luann’s making all these appointments at the spa, especially since the outdoor activities are at a halt due to the so-called blizzard,” the older man informed as he rolled his eyes taking a sip of his own drink.

“How long do you think this is going to last—uh, sorry, I forgot your name,” Michael said apologetically.

The older man held a hand up. “Don’t worry. Forgot yours too. Name’s Wayne,” he replied as he held out his hand.

Michael gave his hand a firm shake. “Matthew,” Michael replied.

“Matthew. Good solid name.”

Michael nodded a thanks.

“Well to answer your questions Matthew, I’ve been to this resort every year and usually when severe weather hits, it tends to last longer than a day or two.”

“A day or two!” Michael exclaimed frustratingly. He wanted to get the hell out of Vail and back to Roswell as soon as possible. Or whatever Maria wanted to do...

“What’s the big deal? You’re newly married! You and your sweetheart get a lot of alone time! All to yourselves!” Wayne exclaimed cracking up as he gave Michael a wink.

Michael didn’t say anything. He looked away quickly and took a sip of his drink pondering what to do during their extended stay given Maria was mad and not talking to him.

“What’s up? You got that pensive look on your face.”

Michael looked at him confusingly.

“Yup. I knew it. From the moment you sat down, I just knew something wasn’t right! You and your sweetheart are fighting, aren’t you?”

“No, I mean….” Michael just shrugged and slumped in his seat. He felt defeated in every way Michael had filled his quota of getting unwanted input on his relationship that year from older men. First Hal and now Wayne. Geeze! When was he going to catch a break?

Wayne slapped his thigh in elation when Michael’s hesitance pretty much confirmed his notions were spot on! “Has to be a fight! Newly married and you’re down here, and she’s up there,” Wayne said shaking his head.

Michael refused to reply in an effort to not confirm nor deny Wayne’s remarks, hoping that he would take the hint and change the subject. But Wayne wasn’t going to move on that easily.

“So Matthew, what’d you do?”

“Hey how do you know if it was my fault?” Michael asked very defensively.

“It’s always our fault, haven’t you learned that?”

“Sounds like you're just assuming things about me Wayne.”

“No not at all. It’s pretty transparent, if you ask me.”

Well no one asked you old man.

“So is that why you’re down here Wayne? You and Luann had a little argument right.” Michael said daringly.

“No way! At this age we can afford to be separated without it being called for scrutiny. We aren’t newly wedded or nothing!”

“So when you and Luann were younger you never stayed a part?”

“Hell no! Luann gives me the silent treatment and I give her space when she’s mad at me. It’s been like that ever since we got together. Truth is I probably did something that ticked her off. Sometimes unknowingly, other times, knowingly.”

Michael began to play around with his rings, twisting one of them out of nervousness.

“What did you do to get back on her good side?” asked Michael.

Wayne looked over at the younger man who reminded him a lot of himself when he was younger. Brash, direct, and stubborn as hell. But he also appeared to be caring, passionate, and loyal without a fault, traits that Luann expressed she found in Wayne that made her love him so.

“After I gave her some space, I would try to mediate things by doing something special. Nothing big or fancy, just Wayne-like things. Flowers, organize a night out to eat, plan a movie night indoors with some candles. It doesn’t take much to show someone you care about them, it’s just we forget to make those little efforts, and when we do they can cause even bigger problems.”

“Yeah, I’m starting to learn that the hard way.”

Wayne nodded. "It's always hard. You know what would really make it all better quickly. Just talking. I know! Sounds so simple. Don't give me that look Michael, take me seriously here. You want to get on your sweetheart's good side. Talk."

Michael scratched his eyebrow. "It does sound simple, but for me it's hard. Talking is not my forte. That's Mari- um Madison's. She's good at talking."

“Well, what did your dad do to show your mom he appreciated her?”

Michael gulped. Hank wasn’t much of a role model. “My father, well my foster father was pretty much an alcoholic. His girlfriend was the only mother figure I ever had. After a few months she pretty much left his ass. Left me too.”

Wayne rubbed his face with a sad look. “Sorry son, I didn’t know.”

Michael smiled to show his forgiveness. “It’s ok, don’t worry about it,” he replied softly as he took another sip of his coke.

“She was pretty nice to me,” Michael said, trying his best to continue, “But he was just—I don’t want to go back. Let’s just say his behavior pretty much drove her away.”

Wayne nodded, making Michael feel relieved he didn’t have to divulge anymore of his painful past to him.

“Does your girl know what you have been through?”

Michael nodded. “Not all the details, but she understands.”

“That’s good. See, she gets you,” Wayne said as he pointed to his head and then to Michael’s. “It’s not always easy to find someone that can understand you without even talking. Even more if you find someone that understands and can accept that part of you too.”

Michael’s heart swelled at the thought of Maria. Especially that one rainy night, when after ignoring Maria for days on end she still gave him comfort and took care of him. She dried him up, tucked him into bed, and didn’t need any explanation. She was there for him, and she always would be.

“It’s a rare thing, and a lucky thing at that when you and your woman can communicate without saying a word,” Wayne said as if he was reading Michael’s mind. Michael nodded, as Wayne smiled in return pleased his instincts about Michael and his girl seemed to be pretty accurate.

“Sometimes I think she could do better, you know.”

“Hell they all could do better! Men are complete idiots,” Wayne said with a chuckle making Michael laugh as well.

“Yeah we sure are aren’t we?” Michael said in agreement nodding his head.

“Think about how much women put up with when it comes to us. Just think about how much your girl puts up with you,” Wayne said as he tapped Michael’s shoulder jokingly.

Maria put up with a lot. His alien adventures and pursuits always came first. Maria would complain, whine and cry, when she didn’t get enough of “Michael time”, or his attention, but it was only because she loved him. Loved spending her day, her time, and heart with him, and only him. Michael began to realize what an idiot he had been. Maria needed him, and he knew that no matter how much he tried to put up a stonewall it would come to no avail. Maria would easily break them down. Because the truth was, Michael needed her too.

“I should go,” Michael said standing up abruptly. He needed to go upstairs and make things right with Maria.
Wayne nodded with a smile, understanding where Michael’s motives were headed. Michael stuck his hand out to shake Wayne’s.

“It was nice meeting you Wayne.”

“Pleasure’s all mine Matthew. Go check on that girl. Make her know that you would do anything for her.”

Michael nodded, his lips curling up as he turned to walk out of the bar.

A couple minutes later another figure entered the bar, venturing their way over to Wayne.

“How long you’ve down here?” asked Luann as she took her seat next to Wayne.

He shrugged in response and kissed her on the cheek. “Long enough.”

“Well I hope you don’t mind, but I got us a reservation at a fancier restaurant in the resort then this. Wanna head on over?”

“Sure,” Wayne said as he left some cash at the table.

As Luann hooked onto his arm, and they left together she asked him what he had been up to while she was away. Wayne simply smiled.

“Revisiting our past,” he replied. Luann smiled. “We’ve been through a lot,” he said.

“Well you’ve put me through a lot!” Luann said half- jokingly as she patted his arm. Wayne smiled nodding his head admitting she was right. But hopefully the young man he had just met, will take his advice to heart and not put his own wife through the same grief. Perhaps he would learn sooner than later to cherish this love because finding it can be so rare, as Wayne had learned and appreciated all these past years with Luann.

TBC...
Parker1947
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A DETOUR FROM VEGAS M/M, M/L support CC too (TEEN) Chapter 1 - 9/14/17

Post by Parker1947 »

A fun story. Very interesting. I am curious about what happens next.