For Auld Lang Syne (Sequel,CC,MATURE) COMPLETE -A/N - 6/26/2016

This is the place to post all your General Roswell fanfiction. Any Canon fics, which pick up directly from any episode of the show and that focus on Max/Liz, Michael/Maria, Isabel/Alex or Isabel/Jesse, Kyle/Tess, or all the couples together! Rule of Thumb: If Max healed Liz in the Crashdown in September 1999, then your fic belongs here. If it picks up from the show in any way, it belongs here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, jbangelo, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

KindredKandies
Addicted Roswellian

For Auld Lang Syne (Sequel #1 to A Tale of Two Christmases)Part 9

Post by KindredKandies »

sarammlover: Thank you! Your reaction was an awesome compliment. We're glad you're enjoying the story. :)

keepsmiling7: Thanks for reading.

Part 9

Michael leaned back as far as he could without falling off of his barstool, stretching his arms over his head and glancing up at the clock. Thirty more minutes and the New Year would be upon them. And he was still going to be sitting right here if Valenti didn’t get his act together. He had tried everything he could think of to get the other man to open his trap, but so far it had been a monumental waste of time – which was exactly what he’d told Maria this trip would be. Once again, he was right, but would she admit it? No. No, somehow, someway, it would end up being his fault that Valenti crawled into the New Year face-down on the bar.

He rolled his shoulders and rested his left elbow on the bar, the fingers of his other hand coming up to drum out an impatient rhythm next to the nearly empty bowl of peanuts. The bartender took it as a bid for attention and within seconds he had shuffled over and replenished the snack before wiping the counter down and moving on. He ran a hand through his hair and grabbed a handful of peanuts, shaking them in his lightly-fisted hand as he looked at his companion.

“Valenti, I enjoy your company on occasion and hangin’ out with you has been known to be fun a time or two, but you’re really pushin’ it tonight.”

Kyle didn’t bother looking up from his contemplation of the design he’d sketched out on his napkin. “Is your ass glued to that stool? Are you handcuffed to the bar? Have you lost the ability to get up and leave?” He was too tired to bother with trying to be nice. He turned the napkin to a new angle and frowned at it. He wasn’t much of an artist but it didn’t stop him from doodling whenever he found himself in these situations.

“With this crappy mood it’s probably better if you stay here,” Michael muttered into his glass.

“There’s a solution that works for both of us.”

Michael got to his feet and leaned in close to his friend. “I’m gonna hit the head one more time and when I get back we’re gonna get this thing settled.”

He rolled his eyes and waved a hand dismissively. He was weary of dodging the persistent hybrid’s pointed questions but this was one problem he didn’t need Michael’s brand of help with. His friends meant well and he loved them all for it, but he needed them to back off and give him some space to deal with the situation. He sighed and shifted to pull his cell phone out of his front pocket, getting to his feet and letting the bartender know he’d be right back before turning to walk outside.

He punched in number three on his speed dial and paced through the snow that was already well on its way to filling in earlier footprints made by the bar’s patrons. His breath formed a frosty cloud on the air as he exhaled loudly. His brows pulled down in a frown when Liz answered and he held the phone out in front of him to double check the number he’d called. What was it with girls answering each other’s phones anyway? Guys didn’t do that. He shook his head and brought the phone back up to his ear.

“Hey, Liz. Maria there?”

“Yeah, she’s just coming offstage,” she responded. “Are you gonna make it to the pub for midnight?”

“Nah, I’ve got somethin’ else goin’ on.” He could hear the smile in her muffled voice when she admonished Max for interrupting her but she was back a moment later.

“Are you alright, Kyle?”

He cleared his throat. “Yeah, I just need some time to figure things out.” He rolled his eyes. Damn, that sounded like such a chick thing to say! Maybe he really was spending too much time around the girls.

“Okay, well, you know if you need anything…”

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll let you know.” He’d rather voluntarily take a long walk off a short dock. He forced a smile into his voice when he heard the nearly inaudible sigh come through the phone. He knew the girls just wanted the best for him, wanted him to be happy, and he didn’t wanna bring them down. Not tonight or any other night. “Happy New Year, Liz.”

“Happy New Year, Kyle. I hope things work out,” she said softly before handing the phone over to Maria. He could practically hear the silent conversation passing between the two of them as they exchanged that knowing look that all females seemed to have.

“He’s driving you nuts, right?” Maria said by way of greeting.

“Maria, you’ve gotta call an’ tell him he’s off duty. I know he’s tryin’ to help and doin’ his best to be supportive, but I’m not gonna play out the cliché to make everyone feel better. There’s not gonna be any wallowing in self pity, crying in my beer while I pour my heart out, or any of the other clichéd scenes.”

“We’re just concerned about you, Kyle.”

“I know, and I appreciate it, I do.” He ran a hand over his face, not even noticing the rasp of stubble against his work-roughened palm. “I can only imagine what it took for you to push him out the door to come here and I’m sure I’ll never hear the end of it since he probably thinks he had to cash in a little testosterone to attempt this conversation.” He felt a small smile lift his half-frozen lips when he heard her quiet laughter and having confirmation that he was right made him very glad he’d put Michael through that Nutcracker conversation. “Yeah, I’m not far off the mark.”

“Talking to him isn’t helping at all?”

“Maria, I’m glad you guys care and I appreciate his sacrifice, but this’s somethin’ none of you can help with.”

“It’s something you and Isabel have to sort out yourselves,” she guessed.

“Yeah, it’s between us and whatever happens, that’s where it needs to stay.”

“Diane’s not here.” She paused for the space of a heartbeat. “Philip got here a while ago.”

“That’s different,” he said with a shrug. “Mom-daughter confidentiality.” He shook his head. At least that’s what Isabel had called it during some long-ago late night conversation. Besides, would she even talk to her mom about what had happened between them that night? It would be kind of difficult to get to the heart of the matter without bringing that up in some way. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed, the sound heavy.

“Kyle, are you gonna be okay?”

“I’ll get there eventually, Maria.” He forced a laugh, but it was raw and filled with pain. “Just not through a conversation over warm beer and stale peanuts.”

There was a long pause. “I’ll call him. Just go back inside and get out of the cold.”

“Thanks.” He put the phone away after ending the call, wondering how she’d even known he was outside the bar. It didn’t matter, he decided as he stepped through the door. Slight tremors raced through his body as the heat suddenly surrounded him, too hot and not hot enough all at once. He gave it a few seconds before ordering his feet to carry him back to the bar and he retook his seat, rubbing his hands against his thighs in an effort to warm them up.

He took a drink of his beer, making a face when it hit his tongue and he realized it had gotten warm. He didn’t waste any time flagging the bartender down and motioning to his drink. He nodded when the man whisked it away and replaced it with a fresh, cold bottle.

Several minutes passed in blessed silence. The patrons in the bar were starting to get a little livelier but the atmosphere was still subdued compared to other bars. In spite of that, his corner was free of one certain hybrid’s brand of advice and help, and to him it made the rest of the noise fall away.

“You bought yourself some time, Valenti,” Michael growled as he came back and motioned to the bartender, letting him know he was ready to pay his tab.

Kyle shrugged, unconcerned. “Your better half, as always, is more understanding than you are.” He took a drink of his beer, his movements slow and deliberate. “Go ring in the New Year with Maria and let me handle this my way.”

He snatched his coat up and shrugged into it. “Just promise me you won’t make any decisions about takin’ off without talkin’ to me first.”

“I’m not gonna take off in the middle of the night, El Capitan.” He turned his head when one of Michael’s hands landed on his shoulder and he felt the control in the grip when it squeezed firmly. “If it comes to that, I’ll let you know.”

He breathed a sigh of relief when Michael let it go at that. A few minutes later the door closed behind his friend and he was able to relax to some degree. No, he was no closer to an answer, but at least now he could think without a hybrid shadow hanging over his shoulder.
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: For Auld Lang Syne (Sequel #1 to A Tale of Two Christmases)Part 9

Post by keepsmiling7 »

I love the banter back and forth between Michael and Kyle.........."El Capitan".......
They play off of each other so well.
Thanks,
Carolyn
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Eva »

Grea part, I loved the banter between Kyle & Michael but I enjoyed the girls the most. We haven't seen them in this story (and maybe we'll never will) but their interactions during that small call was great. I smirked now and then, just because it was such a typical conversation between them all.
Take a look at Eva's world
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Post by sarammlover »

A great update. I am glad Kyle is now being left alone. These things are something you have to be able to work through alone. If and when Kyle is ready, he will let them know!!!
KindredKandies
Addicted Roswellian

For Auld Lang Syne (Sequel,CC,MATURE) Part 10 - 3/17/16

Post by KindredKandies »

keepsmiling7: Thanks, we’re glad you’re enjoying their banter! These two guys give us so much to work with. That connection was there on the show and it’s a lot of fun to just let them see where they’ll take us next.

Eva: Thanks! Lol, small though it was, we’re so happy you enjoyed that brief moment with the girls. We will see them briefly later on, but Kyle and Isabel dominate this one. Well, Michael did shoulder his way in and plant his backside on that barstool, determined to be helpful. We’re not sure that he succeeded exactly, but he did make an effort… in a Michael sort of way.

sarammlover: Thank you! Yep, sometimes help, no matter how well-intentioned, is the last thing you need. And Kyle’s at a place where he needs to figure things out on his own, in his own head, without the interruptions. Lol, Michael isn’t exactly subtle, but bless him, he is worried about his friend and he was trying in his own way to be supportive.

Author’s Note: There is mention in this part of the song Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg. It obviously doesn’t belong to us.

Part 10

The apartment was silent as Isabel stepped inside; the kind of eerie quiet that descended upon any home when something had happened to its occupants. She and Kyle had shared their space amicably for quite some time but she knew there was no way they could just go back to that. Not after all that had happened. But now she knew that wasn’t what she wanted and there was no time to waste.

A bell rang somewhere in the city, a different bell than the Temple Bell at Ontario Place. She could recognize the sound of the Temple Bell after spending the previous New Year’s Eve at the Buddhist ceremony with Kyle. He’d found it inspirational and he’d enjoyed the time they’d spent there. She’d left with a headache but she’d never told him that. She hadn’t regretted going. Watching him enjoy it had allowed her to ignore the urge to leave and find someplace quieter because, headache aside, when he was happy so was she.

The bell! The one that wasn’t part of the ceremony and rang out just moments ago had been announcing the half hour and she knew she had to hurry. It had only taken one phone call to find out where Kyle was. She didn’t know if he’d stay there though. The bar they went to on occasion was usually pretty low key, but the fact that it was New Year’s Eve meant that even its patrons would liven up to welcome it in.

She took the quickest shower she’d ever taken in her life, mentally searching her wardrobe at the same time. She hurried to get dressed, ignoring the dozens of high heels lined up on the floor and grabbing a pair of flats on her way out of the room. Before she could slip them on the doorbell rang and she huffed out an annoyed breath as she practically ran to the door. She pulled it open, her mouth open to tell whoever it was that she was on her way out and didn’t have time to talk, but the words never had the opportunity to form.

Michael pushed his way into the apartment without bothering with pleasantries. His sharp gaze missed nothing as he gave her the once-over. “Where’re you goin’?”

“It’s good to see you too, Michael. I don’t have time to – “

“Make time.”

The words were issued in that no-nonsense, authoritative tone he used when he was handing out orders and she bristled. “Go be with your girlfriend, Michael.”

“He’s talkin’ about leaving.”

Pain shot through her when he shared that bit of information. Maria hadn’t said anything about that, but knowing Michael, he’d probably decided to hold onto that so he could throw it in her face when he confronted her.

“What the hell were you thinking?” He crossed his arms over his chest, the pose one of intimidation but she didn’t back down. “Was it worth it?”

“This is none of your business and I’m not gonna stand here and discuss my personal life or my decisions with you.”

“You need to discuss them with someone because you’re obviously incapable of making smart ones. Maybe he can phase in and out but it’s not safe for him to be out there on his own.”

“I have somewhere I need to be and I don’t have time to get into this with you.”

He shrugged and followed her around the room as she collected things, trying to figure out what she was doing. “Are you goin’ out?” he asked incredulously. He stopped moving when she whirled around to face him and his eyes moved over her again. “You are. You’re goin’ out.”

She rolled her eyes at his accusatory tone. There was no point denying it. She picked her phone up and sent a quick text. “Yes, I’m going out and no, you can’t go with me.”

“I wanna know what happened between you and Kyle. A week ago everything was fine and now he’s bunking in with the Sheriff and you’ve been holed up at your parents’ place. That’s not exactly standard operating procedure.”

That earned him another eye roll.

“Look,” he muttered when she didn’t give him anything, “you guys slept together. Fine. If it’s not gonna go anywhere then just let it go and fix this.”

She snorted indelicately. “Just fix it? I’m just curious, Michael. Could you and Maria just fix it? Just slap a band-aid on it and move forward, be good friends?”

“Me and Maria don’t have a problem. What I’m sayin’ is you have to fix this. He can’t fix it. If he could he’d be here instead of me.”

“So he sent you.”

“No! Tight ass wouldn’t even tell me what happened. Not that I needed him to,” he clarified just in case she misunderstood. “It’s obvious what happened. You two slept together and then you freaked out.”

Isabel just stared at him. Partly because his behavior annoyed her and partly because he was right and it was a little unsettling when Michael was actually perceptive about things. He was far from stupid, but he tended to downplay his intelligence and she preferred it that way.

“I know your wires are all crossed up and you’re y’know, confused and stuff. I mean, what with Alex and then Grant and that whole Jesse fiasco, it makes sense you’d be tied up in knots about getting involved with someone else. Anyway, my point is, if Kyle’s that guy you’re gonna have to let all that other stuff go. He’s not gonna share you with…” he foundered, “y’know, your past.”

“Excuse me?”

Hmm, not good. That was the quiet voice. The one that held a wealth of warning laced in every syllable. “You know what I’m sayin’.”

Isabel slipped her shoes on and pulled her coat on before picking up her purse when a horn blew outside. She opened the door and grabbed Michael’s arm, using a little alien urging to get him out on the porch. “Goodbye, Michael.”

“Hey, I’m not done!” He looked down when his phone began to vibrate and he turned it over to glance at the caller ID. Maria. The woman had the worst timing. He flipped it open and lifted it up to his ear, his eyes following Isabel’s hurried steps as she maneuvered the recently shoveled walkway to the taxi waiting at the curb. “Yeah?”

“How many times have we discussed the proper way to answer a phone?” Maria asked patiently.

“Huh?”

“Excellent response, Spaceboy. You’ve only got about twenty minutes to get here or I’m gonna miss my New Year’s kiss.”

“Yeah, I’m on my way. I’ll be there.” He put his phone in his pocket after ending the call and shook his head at the absurdity of this night. His gaze was thoughtful as he watched the taxi taking off in the direction of the bar and a soft smirk lifted his lips. And people scoffed at his abilities as Dr. Love. He ignored his phone when it vibrated again, knowing it was Maria starting a barrage of texts to make sure he was really on his way.

Isabel was grateful when the driver didn’t try to engage her in conversation. He’d only asked where she was going and then checked to see if she’d mind if he turned the volume up on the radio. The music was louder than it would normally be, but it wasn’t too loud. She could see the driver’s fingers drumming against the steering wheel in time to the music and she was trying to figure out her next move when the next song began.

It was a song she’d heard plenty of times around the holidays but she found herself listening to the words more closely. Same Old Lang Syne. The song wasn’t a happy one and it certainly wasn’t filled with hope. Really, it was sad. A lonely woman, apparently well off but trapped in a loveless marriage. A lonely man who had success and was obviously popular, yet he wasn’t happy. A chance meeting between two old lovers that resolved nothing and only enhanced those feelings of loneliness. She shook her head, wondering why the writer hadn’t injected some sense of hope into the lyrics. No, she didn’t want that to be them one day years down the road.

Her attention was pulled back to the present when the cab came to a stop and she leaned forward to pay the driver before getting out. She watched him pull away and her eyes were drawn to the neon sign blinking over the bar across the street. The New Year was just minutes away and as her thoughts went over everything that had happened between her and Kyle the other night she felt her nerves rear their ugly head. She stood under the streetlight, her feet suddenly feeling as if they were frozen to the spot when the door opened to allow one of the patrons to leave. She’d recognize him anywhere, she thought as her gaze locked with his.
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: For Auld Lang Syne (Sequel,CC,MATURE) Part 10 - 3/17/16

Post by Eva »

Perfect! Isabel has crowled up and is on her way to stand up for herself and the man she actually loves, although she always denied it.

The little interruption by Michael was hilarious and lit up the scene with a lot of humor. Something Michael would deny of course but the way he cared about Isabel and the way he ordered her to do something was sweet and funny at the same time.
Take a look at Eva's world
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Post by sarammlover »

AHHHHH you stinkers! You left us hanging!!!! BIG TIME!!! I cna't wait to see what Isabel has to say! LOVED IT!!
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Kyle is right.......he doesn't want to share Isabel's past.....
KindredKandies
Addicted Roswellian

For Auld Lang Syne (Sequel,CC,MATURE) Part 11 - 3/24/16

Post by KindredKandies »

Eva- Thank you for the compliment. :) Yes, exactly. Isabel needed to find this out on her own. Lol, we're glad you enjoyed Michael's intervention. We had fun watching him talk to Isabel.

sarammlover- Thank you! We're so glad you enjoyed it. Lol, nope we wouldn't leave you hanging like that. Isabel left us standing there with Michael. She was adamant that we weren't to follow.

keepsmiling-7 Thank you. This is true.

Author’s Note: There are a couple of mentions of the song Auld Lang Syne in this part. Obviously, this one also doesn’t belong to us.

Part 11

The sound a church bell rang out, announcing the time, and out of habit Kyle checked his watch. Half past eleven. Maybe it was time to go. The pub’s patrons were beginning to show a little more life and he just wasn’t in the mood to be surrounded by jovial drunks. He could head over to Ontario Place and listen to the bell as it rang out 108 times. It essentially signified a cleansing of the senses and allowed its followers to move into the New Year with a clear mind and body. That was something he could use. The year before he and Isabel had attended the ceremony. No! He slammed the door on that memory.

He shifted and glanced over his shoulder when the door opened to admit another customer and his eyebrows lifted in interest as he watched the man stumble slightly before being steadied by a couple of guys who stood to greet him by name. He’d met Cameron McConnell before. He was a quiet man, ruddy faced with big hands that were callused and scarred from his years working as a logger. Usually when the older man came in he spent his time sitting on the single stool down at the end of the bar. He didn’t talk much. He tended to keep to himself beyond a brief exchange with some of the regulars and he never drank much. His gaze drifted over the man, recognizing the signs of too much alcohol.

He watched as McConnell patted his pockets and slowly, and with great effort, made his way over to the old jukebox sitting up against the far wall. He glanced around when he realized that the volume level of the conversations around the bar had dropped to a low hum and it was impossible to miss the respect the patrons gave him as he weaved his way between the tables. He fumbled in his pocket for some coins, sorting through them with bleary eyes, and once he’d picked out the ones he needed he leaned against the jukebox and carefully lined them up with the slot.

It was difficult to miss the way his hand shook as his fingers traced over the buttons, finally locating the ones he needed and pushing them in. The familiar strains of an instrumental version of Auld Lang Syne began to filter through the speakers and Kyle shot a look at the bartender when he paused in his duties to watch McConnell as he pushed himself back, his hands gripping the sides of the jukebox as he closed his eyes and began to quietly sing the words. His voice was surprisingly strong considering his obvious inebriated state and his thick Scottish brogue was impossible to miss as he sang the song in his native tongue.

There was something haunting about the words, especially the heartfelt way the man was singing them. He knew a few of the lines in English, but beyond that he was lost. He’d never really paid much attention to the song and he found himself wondering what it really meant. When it ended McConnell remained facing the jukebox until the final strains faded away and then his back straightened and he raised his head to stare at one of the pictures on the wall above it. Slowly his right hand lifted and he snapped off a sharp salute, his gray eyes never wavering as he stood at attention for nearly a full minute before lowering his hand and taking a step back.

The conversations that had fallen silent from the moment the music began to play began to pick up again and people went on about their business. More than a few of the patrons reached out to pat the man’s back or rest a hand on his shoulder for a moment as he passed.

“What’s that all about?” Kyle asked when McConnell began to make his way to his stool at the end of the bar.

“You’ve never been in here on New Year’s Eve.” The bartender nodded at the wall above the jukebox, his eyes moving over the framed pictures that filled the space. “You know about the wall.”

He nodded. The photographs were of local men and women who had lost their lives in various wars over the years. He’d seen the owner, Marc Robicheaux, personally escort a couple of guys out one night for being disrespectful and knocking a couple of the pictures off of the wall. Marc had several photographs of his own on the wall, having lost his great-grandfather, father, an uncle, a brother, an aunt, and his youngest son to different wars. He was a patriotic man, his beliefs were strong and he held people who served in the highest regard. Disrespect to his country or to those who had died in her service was not tolerated in any way, shape or form.

“McConnell came to us back in ’91 – “

“Get yer dates straecht, Vince,” Molly Buchanan, one of the regulars, said as she sidled up to the bar and settled on the stool Michael had vacated. “Cameron came to us in ’92, he did. A tortured soul, that one.” She shook her head, her red mane cascading down over her shoulders and drawing the admiring gaze of more than one man.

“So he’s got someone on the wall,” Kyle guessed, his gaze lingering on McConnell.

“Lt. Sean O’Laughlin. Best friends, the two of them were. Together from birth practically. Coudnae separate the two o’ them.”

He raised an eyebrow when he heard the quiet undertones in her voice.

“Aye, he’s ma uncle,” she confirmed. She smiled fondly when the man at the end of the bar raised a hand and she nodded at Vince.

“A pint o’ Guinness, lad,” McConnell called when the bartender turned in his direction.

Vince hooked a thumb over his shoulder when she offered to take the drink to her uncle, giving his silent permission for her to step behind the bar. “He and O’Laughlin went to war together but his buddy didn’t make it. Their unit was ambushed and taken prisoner.” He shook his head as his eyes once more moved to the wall. “What happened there he won’t talk about. He comes in a few times a year and he never misses a New Year’s Eve.” He nodded when a customer raised a hand to get his attention and he pushed himself back. “He told me once he comes in on this night to bid farewell to the past so he can move forward.” He reached for a glass and started mixing a drink. “Some people can’t let go and they can’t move forward. They just get stuck in a moment and when that happens they end up here, trapped in a cycle that just won’t end.”

“Yeah,” Kyle muttered quietly as he straightened up. He’d promised he wouldn’t just take off and he knew Michael well enough to know if he did he’d have a seriously pissed off hybrid tracking him down. No, he wouldn’t just slink off into the night. He wouldn’t turn tail and run because that wasn’t who he was. Maybe he would leave, see where the road took him, but running wasn’t an option.

The bell of a nearby church rang out and he glanced at his watch. Fifteen minutes before this year came to an end and the new one was ushered in with merriment and more drinking. Well, one he could do without and the other he’d had enough of. He shifted and pulled his wallet out, checking his cash supply and retrieving what he needed to cover his tab along with a decent tip. He got to his feet and went to get his coat, shrugging into it and speaking to a few of the patrons on his way out.

He paused at the door, his hand hovering over the doorknob when Auld Lang Syne began to play again. He turned to glance at the wall before shifting his gaze to McConnell who was still sitting at the bar, his eyes closed and his lips moving, but this time the words fell silently. His head slowly lowered and the lights behind the bar caught the tracks of moisture that trickled down his weathered face.

With renewed determination he turned the knob and pulled the door open, stepping out into the cold night air and drawing in a deep breath. In the distance the bell continued to ring and he fervently wished he could step into the New Year free of the burden weighing down his heart. He pulled his coat closed and was reaching for the zipper when movement across the street caught his eye. Out of habit he controlled his reaction, slowly shifting so as not to draw attention to the fact that he was aware he was being watched. It was a woman standing under the streetlight, a woman he’d recognize blindfolded in the dark. He relaxed slightly as the threat was dismissed but he could feel the tension taking hold of him as they stood there, staring at each other from opposite sides of the street.
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: For Auld Lang Syne (Sequel,CC,MATURE) Part 11- 3/24/16

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Now you really leave us hanging off of the cliff!
Thanks,
Carolyn