Happy fourth of July, sequel (M/L A/UTeen) Ch.5/5 7/4/11

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Happy fourth of July, sequel (M/L A/UTeen) Ch.5/5 7/4/11

Post by mary mary »

Banner by: Me

Title: Happy Fourth of July, a sequel

By: Ginger

Genre: AU M/L and the gang

Rating : teen

Summary: Liz has just given birth to two beautiful baby girls, Bethany and Christy, and now they are planning their first outing as a family.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the show “Roswell” nor any of it’s constituents, I use the names of the characters simply because I like them.

*~*~*

Chapter: 1/5

Hi everyone, it’s been an exciting two weeks since Father’s Day and let me tell you I not only feel like a worn out dish rag I look like one. The babies are so cute and sweet and I can’t get enough of them but I swear, they eat every two hours and it takes two hours for them to eat so I don’t know if I should wait two more hours or just sit in the rocker and feed and change. It’s never ending and if it wasn’t for Maria and Tess I swear to God I would never get a shower. God bless them, I will pray for them and thank them until the day I die. But the babies are happy, gaining weight and honest to God they smile at their daddy constantly. It’s not gas, NO! Really! It’s not gas! They actually smile. When their daddy comes into the room they smile as if they know him. Everyone says it’s my imagination, they never say I’m nuts, just that it’s my imagination and even Tess and Maria have tried to convince all of our friends and relatives that they smile when Max goes near them. And to watch them snuggle into his neck is a sight to behold, it makes me feel like I could fly on my own power they look so sweet with their little butts sticking up in the air and their tiny heads buried…oh my!

I have been pumping milk because I am so overloaded with the stuff and it makes life much easier as well, and, we know that they are getting their full two ounces every feeding since they are only a little over four pounds but they are gaining weight and that’s a good thing. Max says that they are doing wonderful and that makes all of us happy including Max. We haven’t taken them to another pediatrician yet and I’m not so sure I really want to. If something terrible should happen, which I doubt that it will, I know Max will gladly allow someone else to take care of them but right now he is their daddy and their doctor and I wouldn’t have it any other way. We are both worn out but I try to make sure he gets at least six full hours of sleep a night and hopefully eight is soon on the horizon, we nap in the afternoon but naps are few and far between for Max.

The babies do their longest sleep in the afternoon and there isn’t a thing we can do to change their minds. They sleep around four to five hours from 2:00 to 6:00 or 7:00 everyday and I’ve tried everything. The more noise the heavier the sleep so I’ve tried with no noise, total silence, and that doesn’t work either. They just scoot until they find each other and sleep. If I separate them they keep scooting all over the bassinets so it’s just easier to allow them the courtesy of sleeping with each other for as long as they want to. I’ve taken to sleeping during that time as well. I put a bassinet on the bed with me, put the two of them in it and curl up next to them and sleep. That way I can be up with them all night. Max just shakes his head. It will get better, I know it.

We are planning on taking them to the Valenti’s for the fourth of July celebration that we were going to have here but I think this is better. Everyone will be there and Max brought home the cutest little ear-muffs for them…I think he had Riverdog’s daughter make them for them. They are made of fur and have sponge in the middle covered with satin. Max said they are for the fire works display that is planned for the evening. I looked at him and laughed, he shrugged his shoulders and told me that it’s either the ear muffs or miss the show. Ear muffs it is. Excuse me, the girls hear their daddy I can tell through the monitor, they are getting fussy now… you have to listen to this…

“Hello there ladies, aren’t you just the most beautiful babies on earth.”

And now no fussing…honest to God, they know him.

“Oh look at you, your sister has your sock in her hand. How do you think she got that away from your foot, has she been eating your toes? I’ll bet you’re glad she doesn’t have any teeth aren’t you? Yes, you are beautiful. Come on, let daddy change you while mommy makes us some dinner. We are eating later and later these days ladies. Why do you think that is? Hmmm? Come on sweetheart. Yes, it’s your turn. Yes it is beautiful. Oh you have such pretty smiles for your daddy, yes you do. You look just like your mommy when you do that.”

And it goes on and on, I just smile and continue to break up the lettuce as the chicken fries and the potatoes boil. It’s the most wonderful thing on earth, being their mother and having Max as their daddy. I’m so happy I could explode. You’re supposed to get the blues after child-birth, so I’ve been told, so far I haven’t experienced that. Maybe because of Maria and Tess being here, but so far I love everything about it…even the late-late-late show on TV!

The next morning I wake up to find Max already up and feeding Christy and I look over at him and wonder what’s going on.

“Max, you shouldn’t be up yet! Is everything okay?”

“Of course it is sweetheart. Christy was a little fussy and I wanted to make sure she wasn’t fevered or anything. She’s fine. She was messy so I changed her and now she’s having a snack of mother’s milk with her daddy.”

Then Max gives me one of his sexy looks and says…

“And daddy can hardly wait to share that.”

“Oh Max, for God’s sake…you know I can take care of anything that’s bothering you. I don’t mind.” And I don’t really.

“I wouldn’t dream of it love…not in a million years. Just relax and we can both enjoy each other when the time is right.” And about that time little Bethany decides to make herself known to us. Max reaches into the pocket of his robe and hands me a warmed bottle and I get up and take my sweetie out of her bassinet, change her and proceed to feed her breakfast to her. Max and I look at each other and smile, we dreamed of this for so long and now that it’s here it’s even more than we dreamed. God, just don’t let anything spoil it for us, every mother’s prayer I’m sure…it’s so hard for me to imagine anyone harming anything so fragile and sweet, no it’s not hard, it’s impossible! Max and I just sit there in our reverie and feed our babies and life is wonderful.

After we had the babies fed they went to sleep of course and Max headed to the shower and I went in to the bathroom and did some morning chores of my own and then headed downstairs with the baby monitor in the pocket of my robe and proceeded to make a pot of coffee and set the cocoa puffs on the table along with a 1-a-day vitamin. Max has been getting sorely neglected in the fresh fruit and home cooked breakfast program people…it’s been cereal and more cereal. He just laughs when I complain about it, and I do, complain that is. I feel like a terrible wife and I get kissed for my guilt. I swear, it’s awful not fixing him a well balanced meal. But, as he points out, the Crash is not that far away and my dad would be more than glad to feed him. I know he’s right but it is my job, is it not? Ah, here he is and I get my usual kiss on the head…I love it!

“Okay Liz, which one of the partner’s is due today?”

“Max…why do you say it that way? They really are helping me, honest. I don’t think I would get a shower if it wasn’t for them. I just can’t leave the girls alone that long.”

“Good Lord Liz! Are you telling me that you wouldn’t leave them while they’re sleeping in order to take a shower? Honey, they will be fine for that length of time. Even if they wake up and fuss, sweetheart, you have to give yourself some time too.”

“I know Max but they are so tiny…what if I don’t hear them?”

“Liz, they aren’t going to get up and walk out on you for God’s sake. They’ll be fine for a few minutes. I know they are the sweetest little angels on earth but believe me they will be fine.”

“Let me think about it, okay? I know…don’t look at me like that Max. I’m ridiculous but allow me to be, just for a little while. Until I’m more comfortable with the fact that they’re okay without me…just for a while, please?”

And Max just looks at me and shakes his head as he eats his cocoa puffs and smiles.

About that time the front doorbell goes off and we both look at each other…it’s a little too early for company but I wrap my robe around me and make my way to the door as fast as I can. I look through the peep hole and it’s Jim Valenti...’what the?’ is the only thing running through my head as I open the door…

“Jim, what’s wrong?”

And my old friend looks at me with sad eyes…God, what is it, it seems like he’s taking forever to spit it out already.

“Good morning Liz, may I come in?”

I step aside and I want to hit him…

“Jim, please!?!” I beg…

And about that time Max comes in and wraps his arm around my waist as I close the front door.

Last edited by mary mary on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Happy fourth of July, sequel (M/L A/UTeen) Ch. 2/5 7/1/1

Post by mary mary »

Eve: I know exactly what you mean about them "not being sweet so much anymore" :lol: That doesn't mean we don't love them, it's just different! :roll:
Carolyn:First off, let's hope I didn't lie to you about the rain! Next, I'm sure Tess and Maria are making Liz's life a whole lot easier...we both know that one can be a hand full, but two! Wow!!! :o
Carrie: I know exactly what you mean. They are so tiny and so helpless and you just can't bear to leave them alone for a minute. And...thank you! :)
XAF RU208: No fun having your friend the sheriff there at 7:00 a.m., that's for sure. Coming up next...why!!! :(
Smac: Well, as you might have guessed, it isn't really... :)

*~*~*

Chapter: 2/5

Liz:

“Liz, Max…I am so sorry to have to be here like this but Liz, we just took your dad to the E.R. with what appears to be a heart attack. Your mom didn’t want to call you so she called the station in the off chance that I was in. I had just got there and she asked if I would come over…Tess is on her way over too. She dropped Jimmy and Terry off at Maria’s and she should be here shortly. Max, do you want me to take Liz over to the hospital?”

“God no Jim…I’ll take her as soon as Tess gets here. Come on in the kitchen and have some coffee. Liz honey, go upstairs and get ready. Leave the monitor with me and take your time, we won’t be able to see him for awhile and I’m sure your mom knows we’ll be there soon. Just try to relax baby, we’ll be fine.”

And Max kisses me on the cheek before I leave the kitchen. I don’t know what to do first…my mind is running in circles so I just go upstairs and sit on my bed and look at my beautiful babies who are sound asleep in their bassinet. We put them both together after their breakfast and they are so cute just laying there next to each other, it’s like they know they need to be quiet or something. I can’t explain how close I feel to them right now…I just can’t seem to move. The next thing I know Max is standing in the doorway with Tess and they are looking at me…

“Liz baby, you need to get dressed, the babies are fine. Do you want Tess to stay in here with you?” Max asks, it sounds like he’s talking from the bottom of a well or something. I can hear him but it’s not registering.

“No Max, I’m fine. Why don’t you take the bassinet downstairs with you. Maybe Jim would like to see them?”

I ask as I start to get up from the bed. My legs feel like they won’t hold me up but I have to do this…this is really happening and I have to be strong. I don’t want to be strong…I want to go to sleep and when I wake up this will all have been a horrible nightmare and I can shake it off and take care of my babies.

“Alright sweetheart, but you do need to take a shower and put some clothes on. I’ll send Tess back up in a few minutes and she can check on you. Are there enough bottles in the refrigerator?”

“I don’t know. Count them. We need two every two hours so there should be at least four in the refrigerator…I know there are eight in the freezer so take a couple out to let them thaw. I don’t like the idea of thawing them in the microwave, I just don’t think it’s healthy.”

“Okay, we’ll check that out for you…do you need the breast pump?” Tess asked. She knows how uncomfortable it can get if you don’t empty the ladies often enough.

“Yeah, I guess…bring it up and I’ll use it after I shower.”

“Good…take your time but you do need to move. You can’t just sit on the bed Liz, it’s not good for more reasons than just one.” My husband is getting pushy people, and I’m not in the mood for pushy…

“Go downstairs Max…I’m moving.” I know I sound testy but I can’t help it right now and Max takes the bassinet and heads down stairs with Tess hanging back for a minute.

“Come on Liz, let’s get you started here. I know it’s only a matter of getting going so let’s just do it.” And I head to the bathroom while Tess gets my clean underwear and some jeans and a t-shirt out of my closet for me.

She has my tennis shoes, socks, and clean clothes sitting on the bed by the time I step into the shower and then she pokes her nose in the bathroom and says…

“I’m going down for the breast pump Liz and I’ll be right back up. Do you need anything else?”

“No Tess, and thank you. This goes above and beyond and…well, just, thank you.”

“No Liz, this is what friends do now take your time and use some pretty smelling gel and shampoo. Make your daddy proud honey.”

Then she was gone. She is so right…I need to look nice for my Dad because he is proud of me and I have to be that girl that makes him smile. So I did as I was told and I used the pretty smelling gel and shampoo and I even shaved, which I sorely needed, and when Tess came back I was dried off, had my underwear on and was blow drying my hair while the curling iron heated up. I would look nice regardless of how I felt and Tess smiled at me in the mirror and I returned the smile through damp eyes. We would get through this day regardless.

Max:

“Max, I am so sorry to have to do this but I didn’t want anyone else to do it.”

“I understand Jim and we truly appreciate your concern. Do you know anymore than what you have already told us?”

“No. Sorry Max. I know this is tough but he was stable when I talked to Nancy. She said they didn’t know anything for certain and they were going to take him for a stress test as soon as he was admitted. That’s all she knew when we spoke. She seemed more concerned about someone being with Liz.”

“Well, like mother like daughter, think of the other guy first. We’ll leave as soon as Liz comes down. I think she should eat something first but knowing Liz she would probably get herself sick and that wouldn’t be pretty. She’ll be fine as soon as she sees Jeff.”

“Well, you know her best Max. How are the babies?”

And that brought a huge smile to my face…

“They are beautiful Jim. Beautiful in every way. And thank God for Maria and Tess because those two have been here everyday making sure that Liz has a couple of hours to shower and take care of herself. I don’t think she would leave them long enough to go to the bathroom if we didn’t force her. She’s is, enthralled, the only word I can think of is enthralled and it’s sweet but it’s not really that good for her either.”

Jim laughs before answering me…

“I know exactly how she feels Max. They are just so tiny, helpless and beautiful. There’s nothing like it on earth and then they grow into teen-agers…beings from another planet!”

And I have to laugh at him…he’s probably right. Thank God we have a few years before that happens and about that time Liz and Tess come into the kitchen and Liz looks beautiful. She has on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt with absolutely no make-up but she looks so fresh and young… not much older than those teen-agers Jim was talking about a minute ago.

“Are you ready to leave sweetheart? “

“Yes, just give me a minute to love the girls…Oh God, how I hate leaving them.”

We all give each other a knowing glance…the sign of motherhood, no one can take care of your children the way you can and she’s only known the babies a little over a week. God I love her.

After Liz hugs her daughters, who are still sound asleep from their early morning breakfast, she hugs Tess and Jim and we leave the babies in good hands. Liz never says a word on the way to the hospital, just holds my free hand as we drive…squeezing occasionally and I can only empathize with her.

Well, here we are and I look at Liz who looks like she’s about to scream. Her eyes are bouncing from one location to the other like she’s hunting for a place to escape to and I grab her and pull her to me and whisper…

“He’s going to be alright Liz. He’s too good not to be.”

She looks at me and tries to smile as she nods and moves to her door. I hurry out of the drivers side and around to the passenger side to give her a hand and she takes it without a word. We will get through this day together, I only hope she realizes she is not alone.

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Happy fourth of July, sequel (M/L A/UTeen) Ch. 3/5 7/2/1

Post by mary mary »

Cardinal: Thanks for your well wishes...I'll pass them on... :(
Eve: Yes those babies do grow up don't they? Let's hope Jeff's condition isn't too serious. :)
Carolyn: Yep! Max is a good guy!!! And I hope I wasn't wrong about that rain, but it should have been there by now...sorry! :?
XAF RU208: Yes, we can only hope so. :wink:

*~*~*

Chapter: 3/5

Max:

We walk into the main lobby of the hospital and ask the receptionist if she can locate Jeff Parker for us and she uses her computer to check as she acknowledges Liz and me. We both work at the hospital and most of the public personnel know us by sight even if they aren’t aware of our names. She looks up and says that Jeff is in ICU, on the third floor. I nod my thanks as Liz vocalizes a thank you and we head to the elevator.

At this moment Liz has a death grip on my hand and I can only pull her close, into a firm hug, and kiss the top of her head. She needs to know that I love her and I’m with her all the way on this. I called my office while Liz was getting dressed so they know to reach me on my cell if necessary. As the elevator doors open the smell is nauseating…a combination of urine, medicine and coffee permeates the air and I just want to lose my breakfast as a welcome relief to the instant contraction of stomach muscles and it’s at this moment that I’m glad Liz did not eat anything. We see Nancy at the end of the hallway sitting in a chair with her head practically resting on her chest. She looks so distraught that I could actually take her in my arms and hug her as well. Poor Liz, this is going to be tough, tougher than I figured.

We approach Nancy slowly and quietly just in case she might be sleeping but that was not the case. The minute Liz’s shadow crossed her she looked up and the anguish she was feeling was so obvious I wanted to cry but she gave Liz a huge smile and got up and hugged her, holding on for dear life. Liz wrapped her arms around her mother and just stood there until the older woman was ready to let go. My heart was aching for both of them.

“Have you heard anything Mom?” Liz managed to squeeze out without breaking down…

“No sweetie, they took him down about 45 minutes ago and they said it would take about an hour or so to complete the test, then the cardiologist will look at the results and let us know what they find. We just have to wait, that’s all.”

I look at the two women and then ask, only because I don’t know what else to do at this moment in time…

“Would you like a cup of coffee or something? I can go down to the cafeteria and bring back something.”

“No thanks Max, I don’t think I could keep it down. Don’t you have to be at work?”

“I canceled my appointments for today and if there are any emergencies they’ll call my cell. I’m here for whatever you might need so don’t worry about me okay…just take care of yourself Nancy. I think I will go down to ex-ray and have a chat if you don’t mind. I can’t stand this waiting anymore than you can.”

Liz and Nancy both laugh and it feels good to hear it and then Liz says…

“Please don’t be gone too long Max.” And I knew she needed my presence more than she needed news.

“I will probably be gone 15 minutes, no more.”

She smiles at me and gives my hand a squeeze as I get up off the chair next to her and start to leave. I don’t know if I should or not but I started this so I will take it to the finish. God, I pray that he’s going to be okay.

When I get to the basement and head off in the direction that I know Jeff will be I hear my name being mentioned and I turn to see two colleagues conversing in the hallway. I nod toward them and keep on going since I promised my wife I wouldn’t be gone long and I’m not going to stand and fill in a couple of inquisitive people with information I don’t have.

When I get to the ex-ray department I let myself in and see the technicians, two of them, busy talking to Jeff who happens to be in the tube where the 3-D ex-ray is being taken and they are telling him that the test has been completed and it will only take a few minutes to get him ready to go back up to his floor. They both nod when they see me and I ask if they noticed any abnormalities and they look at me and frown...

Joe spoke up first…

“Max, you know we can’t tell you anything even if we knew anything so get back upstairs and wait with your wife. She needs you more than Jeff does. He’s in good hands. Now go.”

“Thanks guys, I know…sorry for putting you in such a compromising position, I really didn’t mean to cause any trouble. It’s just that Liz’s hormones are bad enough after just giving birth and now this, well I’m concerned for her and I told her I would come down and check it out.”

“We know Max…but go back up to her. We’ll bring Jeff up in about 10 minutes. We just need to finish up a few things now ‘git’. Dave needs my help, that’s why there’s two of us.”

I nodded at the techs and took my leave. I really was sorry about intruding but I feel I should be doing something and I don’t know what. This is awful.

Liz:

“What happened Mom? Why are we all here?”

“Your Dad was getting ready to open for the day and he passed out. Thank God I was there Liz, I don’t know what would have happened had I not been there. I’ve never been so scared in my life, I dialed 911, told them what was going on and then when the paramedics got there I dialed Jim and asked him to get you. I didn’t want to just call you about it…where are the babies?

“Tess is with them, Maria has her kids and she’s taking care of the babies. Did the paramedics say anything?”

“No honey, they brought us here in the ambulance and took your dad right into the ER and then up here. It all happened so fast that my head is swimming. How are the girls?”

“They’re beautiful Mom and they both gained an ounce which Max says is wonderful because babies usually lose weight right after they’re born. They sound like little puppies when they squeal, it’s so cute…but then they can get a good lungful and let loose when they’re pissed about something too. Max said they’re just like me…the calm before the storm. But, get this, they love their daddy. I swear Mom, they know when he’s around and they just coo and smile like you wouldn’t believe. Tess said she wouldn’t have believed it if she hadn’t seen it because babies don’t smile, but they do Mom. Honest!”

“I believe you honey, you smiled when you were first born too…it was the sweetest thing and Grandma Claudia couldn’t believe it either…so yes I believe it. Oh, here’s Max.”

And we both stopped talking and waited for Max to join us in the waiting room.

“What did they say Max…did you find out anything?”

“He’ll be up here in a couple of minutes and they wouldn’t tell me anything regarding the test. We have to wait for the cardiologist to do that so now we sit and wait.”

“Well, that’s at least something…we know he didn’t die during the examination.”

“Liz, Jeeeezus girl, what are you saying?”

“Sorry Mom, just venting some steam…I’ll be good. I promise.” And I give my mother a grin for reassurance.

Max sits down next to me and takes my hand again. God bless him, if he ever regains 100% use of that hand again it will be a miracle the way I’ve been squeezing the damned thing. Mom just looks at me and shakes her head…at least I took her mind off the crisis for a minute then the elevator doors open and we see Dad being wheeled back into his room. He’s being given the ‘presidential treatment’ folks…private room and all. God how I wish he was back at the Crash flipping burgers.

We all stand as one and the nurse at the desk motions for Max who leaves our sides immediately, when he returns he tells me that we have to wait until they get him all settled before we can go in and since it’s a private room we can all go in which is usually against hospital policy, especially in ICU. It only takes them about 10 minutes but it seems like days until we are told we can see him now and we let Mom go first. I just want to run and hide if anyone was to ask but they haven’t so I keep my mouth shut and wait.

As soon as we get into the room my heart does a spiral and I feel like I’m going to faint…Dad doesn’t look bad but he looks like something from a Sci Fi movie. He has wires and tubes coming from everywhere but he looks okay…he’s got good color and he’s very alert so I guess that’s good news… Right?

Dad hugs Mom with his free arm and gives my hand a squeeze with his other, which happens to be the one with everything hooked up to it. He then nods toward Max and asks where the babies are. We all giggle….typical grandfather.

“They’re too little to bring in Dad…besides, the staff would have had a fit so we left them home with Tess. She’ll be good to them, honest.” And I wanted to hug him to pieces. Max just grinned at all of us, I knew he was as concerned as we were but the fact that Dad was more interested in his granddaughters than the rest of us kind of tickled us.

“Jeff, you need to rest…don’t worry about those babies.”

“I’m not worried, I’d just like to see them. How are they going to eat?”

And I really giggled this time…

“With bottles Dad. Bottles are good for them, we can tell how much they are getting that way. They’ve gained an ounce and that’s good according to their daddy.”

Max looks at me and smiles…

“She’s right Jeff. They are doing great and most babies do lose weight the first couple of weeks but our two beauties are chowing down and growing very nicely. They keep everything down, very little bubbling up, and they seem very happy to be here among the living so you have to get your ass out of here so you can play with them because we won’t be bringing them in here.”

Dad just looked at Max and grinned…they understood each other and then Dr. MacIntyre walks in with a smile on his face.

“Well Jeff, what seemed like a heart attack was truly not that. I won’t lie to you though, you have a pinched nerve close to the spine which caused you to pass out. We will give you some therapy treatments, keep you under observation for a couple of days and then you can go home and play with your new granddaughters. How are you doing Liz? You’re looking very well for a brand new mother, and twins at that.”

Did I just hear Max growl? I swear, that man has never liked David for some reason….I smile and say,

“Thank you David, but I don’t think the story would be the same had I gone full term. But they are doing great and I’m glad to be able to get out of bed on my own without Max’s hand to pull me up.”

“I’ll bet you are. Well, I’ve got some more patients to see. You all take care and I’ll see you around Max.”

“Yeah Dave, take care.” I’d like to see him around, around the other side of the world the sleeze…he’s always looking at Liz’s ass… the bastard.

“Well, that was some good news wasn’t it Max?”

“Yes it was. Now, would either of you ladies like something to eat? I know that Jeff will be getting a tray soon and I’m sure the nurses won’t mind if I bring something back for you two.”

“Mom, I’m going to go down to the cafeteria with Max, would you like something?”

“No honey. Are you going to be coming back up before you leave? I can go down and get something then if you are.”

“Of course we’ll be back up…you are welcome to come with us if you want to. I just thought maybe you would want to spend some time with Dad alone.”

“No, it’s alright now that I know he’s going to be okay. I’ll come with you then. Jeff, you get some rest and we’ll be back shortly.”

“Fine Nance…I think I might try to get a little nap in, it’s been one long morning.”

“I’ll bet it has. We’ll see you in a while Dad.” And we all headed off to the cafeteria to get some brunch, breakfast or lunch. Take your pick, I haven’t had anything yet and Max leads us both to the elevator. I swear, I know I heard him growl back there.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Happy fourth of July, sequel (M/L A/UTeen) Ch. 4/5 7/3/1

Post by mary mary »

Cardinal: I'm sure they are very much relieved with the news and Dave is just an a-hole that gets Max's dander up every time Max sees him ogling Liz. :wink:
Carolyn: You know how some men just have a way of being a sleeze? Well Dave is one of them, doctor or not...kind of "McSteamy" in Gray's Anatomy, just not as good looking. :roll:
Eve: Yeah, a pinched nerve, better than a heart attack any day...easier to fix that's for sure and Max does love his wife. :)

Hey guys the drama is over in this one, honest! Nothing is going to happen with this Dave dude, nothing. This thing is purely fluff, tying up all the loose ends from the other five stories in the series. Tomorrow is the big celebrations and no more of this...I don't think... :roll:
*~*~*

Chapter: 4/5

When we got to the cafeteria I stepped away from Max and Mom to make a call to Tess to let her know the good news and then called Jim and Maria. I know they would want to know what was going on and I wanted to let them know as soon as possible. I told Tess that I would be home before 2:00 and asked if she needed anything before we took off and of course I asked how my angels were doing…

“Oh Liz, I am so glad that things are going to be alright and the babies are doing just fine. They are laying here in the middle of your bed stark naked and watching every move I make. I swear sweetie, they are the brightest little ones I have ever seen. Their eyes seem to follow every move I make and they smile, it is so sweet. I just can’t believe how much they smile.”

“I know…I was telling Mom about them and she said I smiled too and that Grandma Claudia couldn’t believe it. I guess it is strange but I think it’s so cute. I’ll be home soon Tess…Dad wanted to know how they were going to eat and I had to laugh, he’s so cute. We’re just going to have some lunch with Mom before heading out. It shouldn’t take too long and I am doing fine without being there with them. It’s surprising actually, I thought I would be more concerned.”

“You’re relaxed because you know they are being well taken care of, so enjoy your lunch and I will enjoy the babies. See you when you get home.”

And we rung off. Tess is right, I am relaxed because she’s with them and also, Dad’s reports have helped the situation tremendously. Now I can enjoy my lunch with Mom before heading on home. This has been one strange day, one that I don’t care to repeat any time soon.

Max and Mom are already seated by the time I get back to the Cafeteria and I just breeze through and grab a large salad and a cup of tea. I’m still not relaxed enough for a large meal so this will do until I get home. I know Max and Mom are going to start preaching but I can handle it. I’ll just smile and crunch on lettuce.

“Liz, is that all you’re having honey…that’s not enough for someone who hasn’t even had breakfast…”

“She’s right Liz, you need something besides ‘fodder’ to keep up your strength.”

“Hey guys, I have some deli pastrami waiting for me at home with sub sandwich rolls in the bread box and they’re calling to me…listen” I put my hand to my ear and raise an eyebrow with a grin on my face… “Liz, come get me, Lizzzz.”

They are both shaking their heads and laughing at me and the atmosphere has lightened tremendously since first arriving early this morning.

“What are your plans for the rest of the day Mom…are you just going to hang out here? Do you need us to do anything for you?”

“No honey, I’m fine and yes, I’m going to stay here with your Dad. I think they will probably release him today after they set us up with a schedule for therapy. Then I’ll get him home and he can relax in his own space where he will be more comfortable. I know you don’t want to be traveling with the girls yet so maybe we can come over after therapy one day.”

“Oh God Mom, you can come over anytime you want to, although, this is going to sound awful…they sleep from about two to six and nothing is going to disturb them. It doesn’t make any difference what we do, noise…no noise, shaking, jiggling, talking…they just sleep through it all so I sleep too, that way I can be awake with them all night. So your best bet is before two or after seven. Take your pick.”

Mom looks at Max who just shrugs his shoulders and keeps on eating and I look at the two of them wondering what that was all about…

“Well, okay honey. If that’s your schedule then before two or after seven it is.” And then she chuckles. I don’t understand why and then she looks at Max and says…

“No wonder all the kids love to be with her.”

Max smiles and nods in agreement….

“What? What does that mean?” I’d really like to know and Max pops up with,

“It’s nothing bad sweet…nothing bad at all. As a matter of fact it’s very good and when a kid likes you, you know you’ve got to be a good person.” And Mom nods her head in agreement. I’m still confused.

Soon we’re ready to head back up to Dad’s room and for Max and I to leave and head on home to our babies. I am so relieved I can hardly stand still.

So, after our experience in the hospital with Dad life just keeps on moving along. The girls seem to be happy with their schedule whether we are or not and the Fourth of July celebration is growing rapidly close. Amy suggested that we bring the water melon, which is an easy enough task, and I have gone to the baby store and purchased two cute little sundresses with hats and booties and our angels will be decked out like two little fashion models. They look chubby because they are so short…18 inches, so even at just over four pounds they look filled out a little. They’ve gained another ounce and Max seems very pleased about that. I am too actually and when he saw the sun dresses he smiled and shook his head…

“What’s wrong Max…don’t you think they’re cute?”

“Yes Liz, I think they’re very cute but you know they’re going to look like a couple of dish rags by the time we get to Amy and Jim’s. Honey, they roll around in little car seats and a bassinet and although I think the dresses are darling they aren’t gong to look all that great in about an hour.”

I know this from experience, all of these young mothers bring their babies in for their check ups and they try so hard to dress them in these cute little outfits and by the time they get them to the office they look like they have done exactly what babies do…sleep in their clothes. Put pj’s on them and call it a day…or better yet, a diaper, t-shirt and booties. Oh well, let her have her fun…they are cute.

“I know Max, but they need to look nice for the party.”

I look at my wife and smile…

“You’re right sweetheart, they need to look nice so put the dresses on them and be sure to throw some sleepers in their diaper bag for later. I’m going to start packing the car with their stroller, bassinet and car seats. You do what you have to do and then we can leave.” I smile as I head to the kitchen to get the water melons.

“Liz, do you have enough bottles?”

“Yes Max, I have one diaper bag packed with bottles and an ice bag and another packed with diapers, clothes and two warm bottles. If all else fails they can drink straight from the faucet.”

I chuckle and shake my head. She’s definitely got this day figured out, once we arrive we probably won’t see the girls for the rest of the day.

“Max, where are their ear muffs?”

“I put them on their dresser next to the stack of diapers.”

“Oh, I see them…thanks.”

Well, she took that seriously. I’m glad I thought of it, I don’t want anything scaring them or more importantly hurting their ears and the muffs are cute. I’m glad I thought of them. Ahhh, here she is…she has both of our sweeties in her arms and I take Bethany from her and situate her in her little car seat while Christy seems to watch with a smile on her face. I swear, these are the smartest babies alive.

“Well ladies, you look so pretty this afternoon in your pretty pink dresses. Are you ready for your first party with the family. I just know you are going to have fun and you have to promise to smile for everyone because they don’t believe babies can smile.” And I get a cute little grin as I snap a buckle into place. They do look darling in their little dresses and they seem to fit…

“Liz, did you get them doll clothes?”

“No Max, why?”

“Well, these dresses seem to fit their little bodies pretty well. I didn’t know you could buy things this small.”

“Oh, I bought premies. They probably won’t be able to wear them next week but they fit today and that’s all that matters. I’ll wash them up and save them as their first ever party dresses. They do look cute don’t they?”

“Yes they do Liz, very cute. Now let’s get Christy hooked up and get going.”

“Right Max. Oh, and Max, thank you for saying they looked cute. I was afraid that I was being dumb for dressing them up.”

Oh shit!!!

“Ah Liz, honey, come here.” And I grabbed her to me… “Don’t you ever feel dumb for wanting to be proud of your children, never. You are a mother, and a very good mother and I know you are just going to keep getting better if that’s even possible because right now I think you are the best Mom on earth. Please, please never take anything I say as a criticism. It’s just that I thought the dresses wouldn’t look so nice when we arrived. I was wrong…baby they look beautiful and they will look beautiful all day. Honest.”

God, I didn’t want to hurt her feelings and then the lights came on…post partum blues…she hasn’t shown any signs at all since coming home from the hospital but this is the first time that anything ‘negative’ has been brought up even though it wasn’t meant to be negative. I will have to be a whole lot more considerate of the way I term things or just not say anything that I think might upset her because she is going above and beyond with these babies. I just hope she can get them on a nightly routine before too long, I don’t think we should be having our children sleeping all day and watching TV all night. Oh well, it will all work out I’m sure. I give her a kiss on the head and say…

“Better?”

“Yes Max, thank you for recognizing it. I had no idea I would get weepy over a baby dress. Sorry, I’ll try to do better.” It didn’t take me long to figure out what was going on with my reflexes but Max picked up on it in the wink of an eye.

“Hey, you’re allowed to get as weepy as you want to. It’s normal and it’s not going to hurt either one of us if you shed a tear or two. So let’s get going.”

Liz opened the door for me and I took both carriers toward the car as she grabbed the diaper bags and locked up the house. I noticed Mrs. Wilson standing on her porch and I smiled.

“Hello Mrs. Wilson, how are you?”

“Oh I’m fine Dr. Evans. Are those the babies?”

“Yes, if you have a minute you can come over and see them. Liz will be right out, she’s just picking up the diaper bags and locking up and please call me Max Mrs. Wilson.”

“Thank you Max…I’ll be right there and you can call me Lily.”

And the little old lady next door makes her way down the steps of her porch and heads over to our house as Liz joins me next to the car.

“Hello Liz, Max told me I could come over and see the babies.”

“Of course you can see the babies Mrs. Wilson. They’re going to their first party today at Sheriff Valenti’s home. We are very excited about it but I’m not so sure they care very much.”

Mrs. Wilson laughed at Liz’s remark and then looked down into the two carriers and I swear, her eyes watered just a little and she smiled the most tender smile as she reached in and took little Bethany’s hand.

“They are beautiful and they look so cute in their little dresses. My Lord where did you find some so small and dainty.” And Bethany gave her a little smile and she melted.

“They are only two weeks old are they not?”

“Yes, two weeks, why?”

“She smiled!” and Mrs. Wilson sounded very surprised…

“Yes, they both do Mrs. Wilson. Especially when their daddy is around. They seem to like him for some reason.” And I giggled.

“Well, they certainly are beautiful and thank you for allowing me to come over.”

“Mrs. Wilson, you can come over anytime you want to and you don’t need an invitation.”

“Thank you dear…I appreciate the invitation. You enjoy your party and happy fourth of July.”

“The same to you Mrs. Wilson. Mrs. Wilson, do you have any plans for the day?”

“No, not really why?”

“Would you like to go with us?”

“Oh my no dear…I have terrible arthritis and my medication makes me very tired so I just sort of sleep off and on all day. I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to stay awake enough to enjoy it. Thank you so much for asking though.”

“You’re welcome Mrs. Wilson and don’t forget to come over anytime you feel like it.”

And Max loaded the babies into the back seat and we were off…

“Liz, what possessed you to ask her to the party?”

“I don’t know Max. She just seems all alone and no one ever goes to see her and it’s like she has no one. Did you see the tears in her eyes when she looked down at the girls?”

“Yes I did Liz and thank you.”

“For what?”

“For being you Liz, just for being you.” And soon we were at Amy and Jim’s while a whole bunch of people waited for us to arrive.

** ~*~**

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Happy fourth of July, sequel (M/L A/UTeen) Ch. 4/5 7/3/1

Post by mary mary »

Carolyn and Cardinal: :P :lol: :D Thanks

Happy Fourth of July Everyone

*~*~*

Chapter: 5/5

We walked into the back yard with Max carrying both carriers from the car seat and both girls were wide awake and watching everything with their big brown eyes, something they get from me as my husband pointed out.

Mom and Diane were the first to notice since they had themselves positioned right next to the back door and they made short work of the walk over to us. I at least got a half hearted hug before Mom reached for one of the carriers as Diane already had the other. Max and I stood there laughing at the two grandmothers…they were a sight. It’s nice they each have one, of course we’ll have to point out who is who for them and don’t ask us how we know, we just do. Maria and Tess can tell them apart also. There are differences but you have to be with them awhile to figure them out.

I make my way over toward the men when I spot my Dad talking to Jim and Philip. He looks very well, none the worse for wear and I say a little prayer of thanks. He smiles when he sees me headed his way and at least I get a great big hug before he asks about his granddaughters. I point to Diane and Mom and he and Philip both exchange glances and tell Jim they’ll see him later. Jim just chuckles and gives me a hug.

“How are you doing Liz?”

“I’m great Jim, how about you. Do you think you’ll survive this day?”

“I will if the town of Roswell behaves itself and doesn’t try to burn itself down or someone tries to blow it up.”

I laugh at his remark and then think about it for a second…you know he’s probably right. And then I spot Maria and Tess trying to keep the kids away from the girls…

“Excuse me Jim…I think Maria and Tess are being more protective than I am and that’s not good at all. I’ve got to go over there and make sure the little ones get to visit with their “cousins” as much as they want to.”

Jim laughs and I head on over to the grandmothers and take Amelia and Terry by the hand and tell Jimmy and Mike to follow me and we make our way to the babies. They stand there like little soldiers and smile at the two girls as their grandmothers cuddle them.

Amelia speaks up first…

“Aunt Liz, they are so little…my dolly is bigger.” And little Terry agrees with her.

“Yes they are sweetie, but they will grow and next year they will be running around here making all kinds of noise and you will wish that they were this little again.” And little Terry wants to know if they can play with them next year.

“Of course you can play with them next year. You will be able to play with them before that but right now they don’t understand a lot of things so they can’t play, but they like to be talked to. Don’t you babies?” And I grab a foot of each one and they give me a big smile…

Diane gasps and Mom smiles at her.

“Liz smiled when she was a new born also. Nobody believed me either. I guess Liz is having some trouble making people believe it.”

“Yes Diane but if you think that’s something wait until they see or hear their daddy, then you’ll see a smile.”

About that time Diane called Max over and he excused himself from his conversation with Michael and Kyle and came over to see what his mother wanted…when he saw the girls he got this big smile on his face and reached out and touched their little hands and the sun came out people…the cutest little smiles you ever saw in your life and Diane just gasped.

“Well, I see it but I don’t believe it.”

“What’s that Mom?”

“The smiles Max, they are just beautiful.”

“Yeah, they’re awesome aren’t they. Hey my beauties, are you keeping your grandmother’s happy?” And about that time Bethany curled up her little lip into a pout and we all started laughing at her. Max reached down and took her from his Mom and she had great big tear running down her cheek, her bonnet was a little lopsided on her head and her arm was up to the elbow in her sleeve and she looked darling.

“Sweet baby girl, did grandma pinch you? Shhh, don’t cry…your daddy has you now and nothing bad is going to happen.”

She scooted right up into Max’s shoulder and shoved her little fist into her mouth and never made another sound, I thought Diane would cry. Then I looked at my watch and handed Max a diaper and a bottle and he was off to the house while I headed to the car to get the bassinet. When I got back to the patio Mom had Christy all laid out and exposed to the world changing her diaper and I had to laugh…nobody seemed to mind and then there was another little tear and I handed Mom the bottle…that wasn’t going to do. The feet started going, the hands started pumping air and I knew if we didn’t get this show on the road soon there was going to be a major break out of noise. I scooped her up off the table, held her close and stuck the bottle in her mouth and she was clamped down on that thing like a vice.

“I’m going to go find Max, we’ll bring them both back when they’re finished with their bottle and put them in the bassinet. They’ll probably sleep until about seven or so and the rest of us can enjoy each other.”

“You’re not going to let them sleep through the party are you?” Isabelle asked and I started to laugh.

“Isabelle, if you can keep them awake more power to you. I’ll be back.”

And I headed on into the house with Christy in my arms looking for Max and Bethany. Max was in the living room sitting on the couch watching TV and I sat down next to him and we both sat and fed, burped, fed and watched TV. They were falling into their soundest sleep of the day and nothing on earth was going to shake them. We just looked at each other and Max smiled and said…

“Shall we join the others?” I nodded and back outside we went, we put both of the girls in the bassinet that was sitting on the picnic table…covered them up lightly with a little receiving blanket and I put a mosquito net over the top and we went off to join the party.

“You’re not going to just leave them there are you?” Michael asked.

“Sure am. If I was home the three of us would all be in bed but since I’m expected to be a big girl today I will stay awake and enjoy some big girl fun. They’ll be fine over there Michael, they will probably be out for four hours or more. Tonight is a different story, twenty minutes here and half hour there and they will coo and fuss all night long. It’s what they do.”

“And you let them?”

“No Michael, I don’t let them, it’s what they do…if I had my choice they would be up now and sleeping tonight but it’s not how it’s been working.”

“Well, maybe the noise of the party will keep them awake.”

“Michael, if you want to go over there and wake them be my guest.”

And Michael headed on over to the bassinet…I watched him shake it, then I watched him shake it again. He lifted the net and took a foot and shook it…he shook the bassinet again and I smiled. Then he yelled across the yard…

“Liz, are you sure they’re alive?”

And Max, Tess, Maria and I all started to laugh…

“They’re alive Michael…this is when they sleep and they don’t give a shit whether you like it or not, they sleep at two until they wake up and nothing and no one is going to interrupt them.”

Everyone was watching us and then Isabelle informed us that this wasn’t good for them. They should be sleeping at night and Max, bless his heart, Max said…

“Alright your honor, maybe you can find them better parents because we sure as shit can’t figure out how to keep them awake when they want to sleep. They wouldn’t care if Mickey Mouse himself was standing over them singing, they are sleepy now and sleep is what they’ll do. I’ve had parents tell me things like this and I’ve never believed them …now that I’m living it I believe it. They will sleep when they feel like it and right now, it’s a little after two, they are right on schedule. And, if you take a really close look at them you will find that they are touching each other at some place on their bodies. If we separate them they fuss and scoot all over the place, but if we put them together they find a spot and sleep.”

“Maybe that’s the answer, don’t co-bed them until you’re ready to go to bed and then they’ll sleep.”

“Not yet Isabelle. They are just over four pounds each. We will let them do whatever they want until they have a good foothold before we go separating them. Maybe six pounds, we’ll see. Until then they’re happy, we personally feel like zombies but we’re happy too. So if you want to hold them…just take them out of the bassinet and hold them but they will sleep through it, trust me and if they get fussy you’ll know that they need each other so hold both of them.”

I could tell Isabelle didn’t believe us so we left her alone with her project to save Max’s babies from a fate worse than death, and she tried her damnedest to get those girls to wake up. Didn’t work! Duh!!!

Right at 6:30 we heard some fussing from the bassinet and headed on over…they were both wide eyed and hanging on to each other’s hands and if they weren’t gearing up to get a good mad going it would have been funny but instead Max took one and I took the other and we both grabbed a diaper bag and disappeared for about an hour and when we came back we had two changed baby girls with full tummies and big smiles and Max had two pairs of ear muffs hanging out of his pocket.

“What are those Max? Tess wanted to know…

“Ear muffs for the fire works. Riverdog’s daughter made them for them.” And he held them up.

“God, they’re darling. What made you think of it.”

“I was telling Riverdog about the party and the firework display we always have and told him I thought the girls were way too small and that we would probably leave before they started so he told me to come back yesterday which I did and this is what he had for me. I think it was very thoughtful of him don’t you?”

“Absolutely, and just look at them. They are so tiny and so adorable. You would think they knew exactly what was going on and look, Isabelle finally got her hands on….Christy.”

“Very good Tess, even from this far away you know which is which.”

“Yeah well, I broke down and went to the eye doctor…I’ve got my contact in Max and now I can see very well. I only wear one…it takes getting used to but I use one eye for close and one for far and it seems to be working out great.”

“That’s great Tess. Hey, Liz had a little breakdown this afternoon just as a little warning. She’s been so good and it took me a minute to figure out what was happening but we worked it out so be a little careful how you word things. I told her that I thought the girls dresses would look like they slept in them by the time we got here and she started to cry…I felt so bad and I didn’t mean it as a criticism but she took it wrong and it was totally unlike Liz so just take it easy on her.”

“Of course I will. Like you said, she’s shown absolutely no signs of the blues so maybe it was just a fluke. Let’s hope so anyway.”

“Yeah. Where is she anyway?”

“I saw her with Amy and Maria a little while ago…maybe they went into the house. Do you want me to find her?

“No, that’s okay. I’m sure she’s fine. I think I’ll go razz Isabelle. She was so sure she could wake the girls…Liz has tried everything and nothing works, it’s their sleep time and that’s final.”

Tess laughed as she headed into the house and I headed on over to sit with my sister. I haven’t seen her in what seems like forever and we settle in to catch up on each others lives and to have some nice quiet conversation and take in our surroundings.

“You seem to be enjoying fatherhood Max.”

“Izzy, you have no idea. I have been happy with my life forever but this tops everything. I can’t begin to tell you how wonderful it is to come home to Liz and these babies. They are so sweet and I love them so much that it actually hurts. I just can’t explain it.”

“I can tell. Liz looks the same way Max. I’m glad you had twins, God knows who to give these special little people to I’m so happy for you. You know, Alex and I have been trying for about four years now and we are thinking of adoption. What do you think?”

“Isabelle, I think that’s wonderful. Even if you do get pregnant later on, and you have a child already it won’t matter. The more the merrier. Go for it.”

“Thank you Max…I think that’s all I needed to hear and after seeing you and Liz today I know what I’m missing in my life. Is it okay if we come over and visit?”

“My God Iz, since when have you ever needed an invitation to come over to the house. Although, I will say, if you want to come and play you need to come before two or after seven. Liz told her mother the same thing. Nothing will wake them up. Honest! We’ve tried, God knows we’ve tried.”

Isabelle laughed…

“I believe you Max. Now I think I’d better get Alex and head on home. He’s looking a little flushed over there. It looks like I’ll be driving tonight.”

“Yeah, be careful…you know not everyone is going to have designated drivers out there.”

“Yeah, I sit on the bench remember. Anyway, I’ll call before coming over and take care Max.” I stood and hugged my sister and watched as she gathered her husband and bid everyone good night. I looked over at my wife who was sitting with our mothers smiling and talking as she watched the two women feed our daughters and life was good. We’ll be headed on home soon so just let me say…

Happy Fourth of July people and we’ll see you on the next installment.