Fade Into You (M/L, AU,Adult) ~complete~ 1/20/12

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Fade Into You (M/L, AU,Adult) ~complete~ 1/20/12

Post by jake17 »

gorgeous banner by the awesome dreamer19, thank you kristin!

Runner up for story with the best twist :)

Title: Fade Into You
Author: jake17
Rating: Adult
Couple: M/L
Disclaimer: I own nothing Roswell
Summary: Returning to your hometown after ten years can be overwhelming for anyone, but for Max Evans it meant facing a past that had almost destroyed him...and a girl that he could never forget.
Author's Note: Song by Mazzy Star: fade into you

Chapter 1.

I want to hold the hand inside you
I want to take a breath that's true
I look to you and I see nothing
I look to you to see the truth
You live your life
You go in shadows
You'll come apart and you'll go black
Some kind of night into your darkness
Colors your eyes with what's not there.

Fade into you
Strange you never knew
Fade into you
I think its strange you never knew

A stranger's light comes on slowly
A stranger's heart without a home
You put your hands into your head
And then it's smiles cover your heart

Fade into you
Strange you never knew
Fade into you

Looking out the window of his hotel room Max held his hand to his forehead to shield his eyes from the impending sun as it peaked over the hillside.

Summers could be ruthless in Maine, a fact he had almost forgotten living the cool climate of Oregon.

Memories were coming back all too quick as he glanced around the small town who’s tiny stores and restaurants had all but disappeared.

Casualties of monster companies and a failed economy meant the small town had little to offer except for painful reminders of a past he wished he could forget.

Sweat broke out along his forehead as he hit the faltering air conditioner in his rental car.

The black suit and tie left little breathing room as the temperature slowly continued to rise.

Recollections of his childhood flooded his mind as he passed all his old haunts, most of which were boarded up with out of business signs attached to them, his hometown was dead.

His stomach felt sick as he turned into Green Acres Funeral home.

Wondering briefly if he could go through with this he clenched the steering wheel until it became too hot to sit in the car.

Each step felt like an eternity as he approached the white double doors that were anchored by two large clay pots streaming with purple flowers.

For a split second he saw her face in his head, his breath hitched remembering her bare feet grazing through the grass, a violet flower caught between the shell of her ear and a lock of her flowing brown hair.

“Is that little Max Evans?”

Snapping his neck up towards the familiar sound of his name Max blinked her face away reluctantly.

“Hello Mr. Richards.”

His neck and shoulders stiffened realizing that the entire day was going to be filled with talking to people he hadn’t seen in ten years, people he just assumed never see again.

The memorial service was painful, a closed casket made it slightly more bearable, he was never close to his father, but seeing him that way would be too much to handle.

Stepping onto the dark green grass he secretly wondered if he could get a discount on the rental car because of the busted air.

It hit him as he watched old Widow Jenkins cry into a lace handkerchief how incredibly cold and disconnected he'd become.

Squeezing his eyes shut he concentrates on the words of the Priest as his voice bellows across the hillside.

“Lord lift your son to your heavenly kingdom leaving him to live out eternity in peace”

He tries hard to recall a father/son memory that will spark some emotional feeling deep inside this heartless body but nothing happens.

As the last of the few mourners file away down the embankment he gazes down at the stone brazened with his father's name.

He let the red rose fall to the brown earth relieved and disappointed all at the same time that he was spared seeing her face again.

Leave now

That inner voice that is supposed to save your ass from imminent doom is screaming in his ear as he shake's the Priest’s hand, thanking him for the lovely service.

He can really dish out the bullshit when he needs to, a trick he learned over years of people asking about him about his past.

A past that wakes him up at night, haunting his dreams, leaving him the mess that he is today.

God please don’t come.

Driving back to the broken down décor of the Rosy Days Motel he finds himself taking deep breaths telling himself that he'd be out of there in a week.

Pulling in the entrance he sees Helen Rollin the owner since he was a child back into her little office as a group of teenagers nosily walk by.

She was terrified of people, a condition that surfaced when her husband and two children died tragically in a car accident, and had only gotten stronger through the years.

Poor thing, it sucks how much people suffer, he thinks to himself as he averts his gaze.

Finally inside the hotel room he slumps down into a chair in front of the window, the blazing sun is gone now, the lightening bugs have come out to play and are dancing in circles just outside.

Watching the green and blue lights flicker around evoke yet another memory.

She’s there again grasping an empty marmalade jar in her hands running, laughing as she chases them around the farm.

He can see himself again; age sixteen, skinny and insecure, standing on the porch watching her play, just being happy that she was there.

A million stars in the sky, the night completely to themselves, nothing to fear…

For a second he remembers what it was like not to be lonely or sad…

For just a minute he can feel her in his arms, taste her on his lips…

Jumping out of his chair he hears a loud crash just outside the door followed by a scuffle.

It almost sounds like someone’s crying.

Rushing to the door he yanks his stupid tie loose around his neck and peers out.

Not too far from the next room he sees several empty soda cans roll down the sidewalk.

A small figure is running around trying to pick them up but it’s hard to make out who it is.

“Here let me help you.”

He manages to catch a few before leaning down to stop one more from escaping into the parking lot.

“I’m sorry, I tripped, I didn’t see the boxes, Helen must be using this room for storage and forgot to put these away.”

His heart drops inside his chest as the cans in his hands fall to the ground one by one scattering everywhere, too fast for her to grab hold of.

Forcing himself to really look at her he can barely breathe.

His voice is hoarse and deep; it’s hard for him to even form words.

“Liz? Is it really you?”

A tentative smile crosses her lips as her brown eyes flicker upwards to meet him.

Her voice nearly brings him to his knees as she stands before him just as beautiful as the day he left.

“Hello Max.”
Last edited by jake17 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 15 times in total.

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love."

Hamlet, by William Shakespeare
jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Fade Into You (M/L, AU,Adult) chpt 2 6/24/11

Post by jake17 »

Eve
Ellie
Carolyn
Ginger
Jan
Kris
Natalie
DestinyDreamer

Thank you so much for such a warm response, you're all so nice. Really hope you like this next part. :)

Song ~ Wild Horses by the Rolling Stones ~

Chapter 2

Childhood living, it's easy to do
The things you wanted, I bought them for you
Graceless lady, you know who I am
You know I can't let you slide through my hands

Wild horses couldn't drag me away

I've watched you suffer a dull aching pain
Now you've decided to show me the same
No sweeping exits or offstage lines
Could make me feel bitter or treat you unkind

Wild horses couldn't drag me away,
Wild, wild horses couldn't drag me away

I have my freedom but I don't have much time
So let's do some living after we die

Wild, wild horses couldn't drag me away
Wild horses we'll ride them some day

Terrified and elated all at the same time he snaps out of his embarrassing paralyzed state and reaches for the run away cans silently.

Realizing her affect she aches inside, she hoped that this wouldn’t be painful for him but deep inside she knew better.

Her sympathetic attempt to ease his discomfort only adds to the tragedy that is screaming between them.

Time heals all wounds they say, bullshit…. she shakes away her thoughts as she throws the remainder of the cans into the box.

She can feel the weight of his stare as she tries to look anywhere but into his eyes.

He could always rip her heart out with that soulful torture gaze of his, ten years hadn’t changed that, in fact it was obvious to her that nothing had changed.

Resting his back against the cool brick he concentrated on steadying his shaky legs.

Realizing that he hadn’t eaten all day proved to be a huge mistake as a feeling of extreme light headiness over took him.

“So I take it you heard about my dad?”

Kicking imaginary rocks in front of him she kept her head down, her voice trembled slightly before evening out.

“I’m sorry Max.”

Running his fingers through his hair nervously he laughed, “Nothing to be sorry about, you of all people should know that.”

Shaking her head she finally gathered the courage to look him in the eyes.

She almost forgot how beautiful they were, like honey with emeralds dancing, glowing, showing every emotion…. heartbreaking.

“No, I meant I’m sorry I didn’t go to the funeral...I just didn't think it was ...well you understand.”

Taking a deep breath he nodded while taking the time to really look at her, it was like looking into the sun, warm and beautiful, the same …exactly the same.

Reaching out he caught her swinging chocolate locks in his hand sighing as they fell through his fingers.

“You cut your hair.”

Forgetting she raised her shoulders and tilted her head causing her raven tresses to hide her shameful eyes.

She recalled the night he left, running up to her room, holding the scissors in her hand.

Never again would anyone look at her the same, hold her, love her, she thought her life was over, and in a way it was.

“You must hate it, you always loved my long hair.”

Immediately he shook his head no as he lifted her chin up gently to meet his intense expression.

“You’re beautiful Liz, it’s like not one day has passed, you look exactly the same…beautiful.”

Her bottom lip began to tremble as he stood there lost in her eyes, warmth spread like fire passing from his fingertips to her skin.

It was all too much, too fast she thought, she couldn’t handle this, she wasn’t strong like she had hoped she be.

“I-I should go…”

Turning fast she lost her footing and stumbled off the curb, tears pooled in her eyes, tears she refused to let him see.

“Are you alright?”

Regaining her composure she went to take off but a strong gentle hand grabbed her arm.

“Wait! You can’t just show up like this and leave!”

Anger now rising in his voice his stomach turned aching already from just the sight of her.

Keeping her back to him she swallowed the evidence of her emotion.

“Max this wasn’t a good idea, I’m sorry, I just ….I-I just couldn’t let you leave without ...I really have to go.”

He released her hoping he hadn’t been too rough, his mind spun as she took another step.

“Please wait,” his tone was softer now, almost pleading, “we have to talk, I’ll be at my old house around seven tomorrow, please meet me there.”

Sighing she lowered her head at that point willing to say anything to get away.

The memories were coming too fast now, the pain was like daggers ripping into her heart, not again she told herself, don’t do this to yourself again.

“Liz, please, I just want to talk, that’s it, I think you owe me at least that much.”

She squeezed her eyes shut as his hurtful dig cut into her skin, she already knew what she was going to do, there was no sense trying to pretend.

“Fine, I have some things I have to do, I meet you there around nine.”

Satisfied that he would see her again he stepped back and watched her nearly run back to her old green pick up truck.

Feeling sick he ran back to his room his breath struggling to fill his lungs he sat on the bed and lowered his head.

Old feelings rushed through him as he gasped for air.

A hush of a whisper left his lips as he closed his eyes.

Tears edged out slowly onto his dark lashes threatening to burst a damn that had managed to hold it all back for what seemed like forever.

A damn that was now beaking.

“Liz.”

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love."

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Fade Into You (M/L, AU,Adult) chpt 3 6/28/11

Post by jake17 »

Cardinal
Ginger
Kris
Eve
darkmoon
DestinyDreamer
Carolyn
L-J-L 76

Thank you so much for the sweet fb! :)

Chapter 3

Song ~ Here Comes That Feeling Again ~ by the Counting Crows

Here comes that feeling again
you're always around me
this island life never ends
it just circles inside me.
When we're older
we'll go back to being friends
but oh,
here comes that feeling again

I better get away from all these
oh-so-familiar places that I see
I gotta find a place without so many
familiar faces in front of me
when I wake up in the morning
and there's no one there but me
I’ll remember
I’ll remember

oh and, here comes that feeling again
you're always around me
it just circles inside me
and when we're older
but oh,

gotta keep on moving through these
distances between yesterday and now
as if all this riding on these white lines
will make them fade away somehow

do you try not to remember
the things you cannot forget
and are you sorry for what hasn't happened yet?

I stare at everyone
it makes me wonder why
I can't see anyone but you
maybe change
and all these faces
reappear in different places
and I can't see a thing but you

you're always around me
it just circles inside me
and when we're older
but oh,

Pulling off the side street and onto the narrow dirt road that was barely visible through the trees Max grips the steering wheel as dust kicks up all around him.

Home

This is the first time in ten years he’s been back to his old house; and it was as hard as he thought it was going to be.

It was as if it had all been frozen in time, a picture perfect memory of his childhood, except that everything was run down and faded, weathered from neglect and time much like the way he felt inside.

The house didn’t seem to be doing all that much better, filled with newspapers and old junk it looked like it had been abandoned long ago.

Everything was dusty and full of cobwebs left to rot like past love and regrets, too many too count; it was a depressing scene to say the least.

Sitting at the kitchen table he wondered exactly what he was going to say to Liz.

With his head in his hands he sighed feeling lonelier than ever, he could see the pity still in her watery eyes from last night and it was killing him.

If was evident he thought to himself that he was the only one still harboring feelings, he couldn’t help wondering if maybe this was a bad idea.

Maybe the mistakes of the past should stay buried , but he couldn’t just let it go, not after seeing her standing before him all warm and soft, staring back at him with those wide eyes.

A gluten for punishment he may be but that didn’t change his feelings for her, he wondered if anything ever would.

Frustrated he leaned back in the rickety old kitchen chair and scanned the room looking for anything that would reignite some kind of happy memory.

His eyes fell to an old shoebox that was partly covered by a stack of papers, one of which was the deed to the house and some bills of sales for seed and tools.

He shook his head wondering just how much of his fathers mind was left at the end.

Between the liquor and his failing heart he wondered how he had made it as long as he did.

Walking to the corner of the kitchen he knelt down and carefully placed the important papers in his duffle bag before flipping open the top of the box.

Inside was a bag of nails, a roll of duck tape and a flat tip screwdriver, holding the blue handle in his hand his mind immediately drifted back in time.

“Son hand me that Phillips screwdriver, this damn generator busted a gasket again.”

Little hands frantically searched the toolbox, seven years old Max was no match for his father’s thirty-five year old strength and temper, something that had been proven over and over again.

Shaking with fear he passed him the tool and stepped back, staring nervously at the ground praying that he had gotten it right, desperately missing his mother.

“God damn it Max! Don’t you know the difference between a flat tip and a Phillips! What the hell good are you! Your mother might as well gave birth to a little girl all the help you are! It’s fucking bullshit what that woman has left me with!”

Max’s hands began to shake as he saw himself taking off as fast as he could, scared and alone, he wanted to be anywhere just as long as it wasn’t home.

Little legs running so hard out the door and into the woods his father screamed for him, threatening to catch him at any moment.

“What, my little girl going to run off to cry? God Damn you Alice! God damn you for running out and leaving me with this little baby!”

Max could still feel the twigs and branches cut into his skin as he went further and further into the dark woods not knowing where it was going to take him.

He could feel his lungs burning as he reached the edge of the forest, tears staining his face, his heart pounding in his little chest, his mind racing wondering how she could leave him and if she would ever come back.

Staring up at the tops of the trees he called out to her, desperate to hear her voice and feel her protective arms around him.

“Mommy where are you.”

Falling to the ground he broke out sobbing clawing at the dirt and leaves feeling everything spin out of control unable to take one more second.

That’s when he heard her voice for the first time.

It was carefree and soft, musical notes sweetly sung for no one to hear; only he did hear her.

Drawn to her like a moth to a flame he pulled himself up and snuck quietly to the edge of the clearing,

With short dark pigtails and overalls the little girl lifted her pail from the sandbox and frowned halting her tune to Max’s dismay.

Max watched her hidden from sight camouflaged by the leaves fascinated as she filled the bucket again with sand and flipped it over just to watch it collapse by her bare feet.

Throwing her shovel and pail she sat frustrated and sad.

Immediately he wanted to help her, even though he didn’t know her to see her upset was something he could not handle.

Within an instant he wanted to be her protector, her guardian but most all her friend.

“What’s wrong?”

He had no idea what made him speak that day, usually he was painfully shy, but with her it was different, for some reason he felt as if he had known her his whole life.

Stunned the little girl looked up, unafraid and curious she casually began to speak as if they were old friends.

“Do you know anything about sandcastles?”

Stepping out from behind a large Oak tree Max quietly began to speak.

“A little.”

Nodding she sighed as she gazed down at her pile of sand, completely unaffected by the strange boy that appeared in her backyard.

“ I’m trying to make a castle but it wont stay, it keeps falling and I don’t know why.”

Stepping out a little further Max pointed to the hose coiled in a circle by the back of the house.

“You need water, if the sand is a little wet in the bucket it will stay.”

A huge warm smile covered her face as she reached out for his hand, “Will you stay and help me?”

After that moment they were inseparable, only really parting when they slept or her parents insisted on it, and that wasn’t often.

Releasing his fist he gazed down at his open hand still remembering how warm her skin felt.

It was as if that first memory opened the flood gates and everything came pouring out, thrown by years of moments with her he was sent reeling, his heart feeling the sharp pain of her loss as if it was yesterday.

Max fell to his knees as intense memories clenched at his heart, he knew he wouldn’t have survived all those years with his dad without her, she was special, she still was…

“Am I interrupting anything?”

Shocked Max stood up still holding the tool tight in his hand.

“Are you having a bonding moment with that screwdriver? Should I go?”

Letting out a sarcastic laugh Max threw it to the ground and brushed by her hoping she wouldn’t see the emotion on display in his golden eyes.

“Funny, I forgot about your sense of humor.” Anxious to change the subject he drew her attention to the basket she was holding. “What’s in the there?”

Setting the container on the table she pulled out a large red and white tablecloth and various sized Tupperware containing chicken, fruit and a bottle of wine.

Turning his chair backwards he sat leaning his chin on the high back wood his eyes open wide.

“Wow, I’m impressed.”

Shrugging she gave him a coy grin as she dished out a helping from each container and poured the wine in a plastic cup.

“What did you expect, red vines and pop? I’m not sixteen anymore, or didn’t you notice?”

Looking up at her it was hard not to stare, she was right, gone was the awkward teenager who would hide her face with her long hair and tripped more than she walked, in her place was a confident sexy mature woman.

It was something a blind man could have detected.

“I definitely noticed.” He rasped as he lifted the cup to his lips hoping the alcohol would numb his nerves and blur her distracting beauty.

“What I meant is that you didn’t have to go to all this trouble.”

Max followed the lines of her powder blue sundress as it dipped deep in the back leaving little to the imagination.

Her hair was short to her shoulders wavy from the humidity, swinging all around her face blown wild from the summer wind.

Her eye makeup was more defined, darker, smokier, but her lips…her lips where still the sheer pale pink he dreamed about at night.

“Its fried chicken, not a gourmet meal, besides this is an occasion, a …reunion you could say…ten years is a long time.”

Max kept his eyes focused on the slices of apple in front of him as he reached for anything to say.

“So, what have you been up to?”

His face burned at his lame attempt at conversation, his heart pounded uncomfortable hard inside his chest making each moment with her sheer torture.

Playing with a large ripe strawberry she hesitated clearly unsure of how much she should divulge.

“Well I’m still working for Dr. Shaffer, just part time while I finish my bachelors degree, its taking forever but I suppose it will be worth it in the end.”

With his mind visibly on something else he continued to push around the pieces of apple in front of him.

“Do you still live at home?”

Shaking her head she stared back at him wondering how long they were going to play this game.

“No, I moved out a long time ago, after my parents divorce both my mom and dad moved away, I’m living in a small efficiency apartment above the general store in town.”

Nodding he tried hard to stop the powerful conflicting emotions stirring inside him.

Desperately he wanted to grab her and taste those lips that had haunted his waking and sleeping hours driving him crazy, at the same time he wanted to slam his fists on the table and throw everything to the ground, punishing her for her her piss poor attempt at civility.

A long awkward pause followed as she continued to sit quietly across from him just sipping her wine as the food sat untouched.

She was different than last night; a hint of anger definitely was lingering in the air that slowly tore at him.

Suddenly it hit him, why should he even feel one second of guilt after what she put him through.

Gathering his courage he lined up his arguments and caught her gaze.

“Why did you come to the hotel last night?"

Tucking her raven locks behind her ears she leaned back against her chair and looked out the screen door knowing inside that this was coming.

“I don’t know, I guess I was looking for closure or maybe some answers...like I said ten years is an awfully long time.”

Her accusatory tone only fired him up more causing him to stand knocking the chair to the ground.

You want answers?” Coming close to her ear he whispered softly, his words lined with rage, the heat rising between them too much to ignore. “Tell you what, you explain what I saw the night I left and I’ll tell you anything you want to know.”

Standing she backed away from the table and turned towards the door.

“I have to go, you’re out of control, I can’t talk to you like this.”

Shaking his head he grabbed her by the arm holding her still over the threshold of the door.

“No, you don’t get to just walk away – “

Catching his furious eyes her voice fell to a whisper as she wrenched her arm out of his tight grip.

“Why not …you did.”

Lost for words he watched her as she took off out the door and down the yard running into the woods until she was swallowed up by darkness.

Immediately he regretted his impulsive actions, he thought of going after her only to fall against the frame of the door out of breath and confused.

How could he still feel so much for her, how could she still have such a hold on him?

Staring out into the forest he felt so stupid, he wasn’t a teenager anymore, it was time he acted like a man.

Tomorrow would bring apologies and hopefully forgiveness, he knew it was the only way of truly moving on, which is why he came home.

Grabbing his keys he locked the door behind him after gathering her things.

His mind at rest, and his conscious clear, he had convinced himself that he could talk to her calmly and finally leave all this behind and move on with his life.

Driving back to the hotel he took a deep breath, his mind and body relaxed knowing that after tomorrow he would be free of this town and everything that it carried with it.

It was now only his heart he would have to learn to ignore.

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Fade Into You (M/L, AU,Adult) chpt 4 7/11/11

Post by jake17 »

L-J-L 76
Jan
Cardinal
Ginger
Carolyn
DestinyDreamer
Eve
Sptfire 86
angelina
Clash868
Behrsgirl77: Tanya I am so honored that you left me fb, not sure if you remember but you made me that gorgeous banner years ago for Reckless, It was amazing and I will never forget it! :)

Thank you so much everyone for your very sweet fb! Clash I am so so happy you are back! :D I didn't have time to check my grammer so please forgive my mistakes, thanks again!

Chapter 4

Song ~ Is It A Crime by Sade

This may come, this may come as some surprise
but I miss you
I could see through, all of your lies
But I stll miss you
He takes her love, but it doesn't feel like mine
He tastes her kiss, her kisses are not wine, they're not mine
He takes, but surely she can't give what I'm feeling now
She takes, but surely she doesn't know how

Is it a crime
Is it a crime
That I still want you
And I want you to want me too

My love is wider, wider than victoria lake
My love is taller, taller than the empire state

It dives and it jumps and it ripples like the deepest ocean
I can't give you more than that, surely you want me back

Is it a crime
Is it a crime
That I still want you

My love is wider than victoria lake
Taller than the empire state
It dives and it jumps
I can't give you more than that, surely you want me back

Is it a crime
Is it a crime
That I still want you

It dives and it jumps
And it ripples like the deepest Ocean
I can't give you more than that
Surely you want me back

Tell me
Is it a crime

The next day was filled with relentless mind numbing paper work, dealing with lawyers and real estate blood suckers, it was exhausting to say the least but at least it kept his mind busy and off of her.

By sunset he was dying for a shower and a hot meal as he turned into the parking lot of the hotel.

He smiled hoping Helen would see that he meant no harm but she was too quick for him as she darted into her office and closed the blinds.

Rustling through his suitcase he pulled out a white tee shirt and a pair of jeans not really knowing where the night would take him.

Standing in the shower he lowered his head letting the steaming hot water pulse down onto his sore neck and shoulders.

It was then for some reason that she snaked her way into his tired mind causing him to tense squeezing his eyes shut hoping to push away her memory.

Unable to stop his knees from their weaken state he leaned his hands against the yellow and white tile as the picture of her sixteen year old face began to appear first hazy then crystal clear inside his head.

“It sure is a beautiful night.”

He could still feel the rough fabric of the blue and green plaid blanket on the dark green grass over looking Millers Pond.

The butterflies in his stomach were merciless as they flurried around making him question every move he made.

He felt as if he was melting inside from the sheer beauty of her as she laid beside him, her elbow resting on the blanket holding her head up to look at him.

“Are you nervous?”

Shaking his head 'no' he knew she saw right through him, she always knew exactly what he was feeling, it was one of the things that drove him crazy about her, he couldn't hide anything from her.

He watched paralyzed by her perfection as she pulled the ponytail from her hair letting her raven locks fall effortlessly against her golden bare shoulders.

Max’s heart began to race just like that night as she pulled his shirt over his head and threw it to the ground.

She was always fearless and passionate when it came to being with each other.

To her it was like unexplored territory, a kind of exotic freedom only they could share, something that no one could ever take away.

Swallowing hard he gently pulled her sundress over her head revealing nothing but her silky smooth curves and untouched body to be seen.

Discarding the rest of his clothes he remembered her hands pulling him down on top of her, her legs parting only to wrap around his body leading him to the place he dreamed of being.

He could see her full lips parted panting waiting for him to make love to her.

It was the most perfect moment of his life.

Groaning as he felt her surrounding him, warm and wet inviting, wanting more, calling out his name, it was all too much.

Needing to fill that empty place in his heart he reached down to touch himself, trying hard to hold that memory in his mind so hard.

Stroking himself slow at first he tried to picture her, the way she reached up and took hold of his lips, stroking his tongue breathing against his neck.

Again and again he tired going faster and faster doing whatever he could to capture that moment but it was useless.

The closer he came the stronger the pain rushed up inside him almost mocking his attempt at reliving a moment he could never have again.

Moaning his completion he leaned against the shower breathless and distraught never feeling more alone in his life.

She was gone; it was a truth he was going to have to accept sooner or later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grabbing his keys he was determined to put an end to all of this.

With his jet-black hair still wet he jumped in his rental car and headed toward Main Street.

Gripping the steering wheel he thought of his life back in Oregon and wondered if he was to blame for lifeless existence he endured.

Maybe it was him that was holding himself back all this time.

Nodding it became clear to him that if he could just let the past go that he could possibly have a future.

The more he thought about it the more it all made sense.

More than a few girls had asked him out at work and the gym and he had always found an excuse for refusing.

Friends at work had also tried to invite him out to parities and bars and he never went.

At that moment it seemed ridiculous to him why he didn’t move forward with anything, why he just couldn’t let her go, why everything he did and everywhere he went reminded him of her.

He sarcastically laughed remembering what she said about her needing closure, that’s exactly what he needed and tonight he was going to get it.

Pulling over onto the side of the street by the hardware store he confidently got out of his car truly believing that all he needed was the answers his questions and he would be able to move on, he would have his closure.

Walking up the sidewalk lit by tall lanterns Max couldn’t help but notice the sky full of stars and the slice of an orange moon right above her window.

“Isn’t it a beautiful night?”

Shocked by her voice he followed her soft-spoken words to the window just above his head.

“Hey, I didn’t see you there.”

Laughing she cocked her head to the side causing her shirt to fall from her shoulder leaving her skin bare almost glowing from the moonlight.

He couldn’t look away if he tried.

“So are we feeling better tonight?”

Snapping him out of his daze he nodded still trying to hold onto the strength he felt in the car.

“Yeah about that, do you think we can try that again?”

Hesitating for a moment she stepped away from the window leaving him to wonder until he heard the loud buzzer unlocking the door.

Taking the steps two by two he tried hard to keep his perception of the situation still fresh in his mind.

As he got to the top of the stairs he found the door open but she was nowhere to be found.

“Liz?”

Walking slowly through her dark apartment he followed the light glow of candlelight coming from a room down the hall.

“Liz? Are you – “

His breath was literally taken from his lungs as she appeared in the doorway of her bedroom in nothing but a tee shirt that barely reached her cotton white panties.

His throat went dry as he stood there staring at her feeling as if he was lost in a dream he had dreamt a million times.

Max’s voice was hoarse and deep as he reached out to the doorframe for support.

“Liz, what the hell do you want from me?”

Tucking her chocolate locks behind her ear her throaty seductive tone almost brought him to his knees.

With a breathless whisper she reached out for his belt pulling it free.

“Closure.”

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Fade Into You (M/L, AU,Adult) chpt 5 7/13/11

Post by jake17 »

DestinyDreamer
Cardinal
Sptfire86
Ginger
EVe
Lizzy
Natalie
Ellie
CArolyn
angiebrenna
angelina

wow, thanks so much for all this amazing fb! please forgive my mistakes had no time to fix them tonight, I have to write when the mood strikes me. which is always a bad time :roll: :wink:

Chapter 5

Song ~ Set Fire to the Rain ~ by the amazing Adele

I let it fall, my heart
And as it fell, you rose to claim it
It was dark and I was over
Until you kissed my lips and you saved me

My hands, they're strong
But my knees were far too weak
To stand in your arms
Without falling to your feet

But there's a side to you that I never knew, never knew
All the things you'd say, they were never true, never true
And the games you play, you would always win, always win

But I set fire to the rain
Watched it pour as I touched your face
Let it burn while I cry
'Cause I heard it screaming out your name, your name

When laying with you
I could stay there, close my eyes
Feel you here, forever
You and me together, nothing is better

'Cause there's a side to you that I never knew, never knew
All the things you'd say, they were never true, never true
And the games you'd play, you would always win, always win

But I set fire to the rain
Let it burn while I cried

I set fire to the rain
And I threw us into the flames
Where I felt somethin' die, 'cause I knew that
That was the last time, the last time

Sometimes I wake up by the door
Now that you've gone, must be waiting for you
Even now when it's already over
I can't help myself from looking for you

I set fire to the rain
Let it burn while I cried

I set fire to the rain
And I threw us into the flames
Where I felt somethin' die
'Cause I knew that that was the last time, the last time, oh

Oh, no
Let it burn, oh
Let it burn
Let it burn

Max was blindsided as he stood there shivering from just the slightest touch of her fingertips grazing his tense stomach.

Her velvet dark eyelashes lowered witnessing the evidence that she still had the power to move him in every passionate state imaginable.

His chest rose and fell hard as he watched the side of her mouth curve upwards in a victorious expression of seduction and triumph.

His fingers dug into the molding of the door as her tan bare feet stepped closer engulfing him in her lavender vanilla bouquet sending him falling further into the past.

A slight gasp fell from his lips as he held her hand still.

“Your perfume…it’s the same…it’s exactly the same.”

Her smile disappeared as she placed her hand up inside his tee shirt against the smooth skin of his muscular chest.

Her wide eyes flashed quickly up to meet his as she whispered softly.

“Guess running away couldn’t completely erase me from your memory…”

Her voice was like music haunting, tormenting, sweet and tragic all at the same time.

Yes, there it is …that beating, pounding, racing heart of yours, I could always make it skip a beat …couldn’t I Max?”

Reaching hard and fast Max clawed deep inside himself for the rage that gave him no rest, the anger she brought down upon him and left him to suffer with.

Grabbing her arm with a hint of that pain that caged him in for years leaving him without peace; he pulled her hand away from his chest.

His jaw clenched as he desperately tried to hold on to the feelings of that boy that loved her with all his heart… for him …for the scares of the past he urgently tried to resist her.

“Things have changed…I’ve changed.”

Clearly unaffected by his actions and harsh tone she tilted her head to the side and stepped back as if challenging his willpower.

Pieces of her raven hair fell from behind her ear kissing her pink glossy parted lips as she reached for the hem of her tee shirt and pulled it from her body letting it slowly slip from her fingertips.

His darkened eyes darted to the corner of her room as he tried with all his might to avoid the sight in front of him but it was to no avail.

He could live for a thousand years and still see the stunning vision of her now womanly bare curves burned bright like fire inside his mind.

Hate twisted his stomach in knots as he felt the pull of her stare, after all this time she still had the power to control him as his brandy colored gaze returned to her breathtaking presence.

Liz’s throaty sultry tone beckoned him to her as she caressed the skin above her belly playing cruelly hooking her fingers inside the material that clothed the treasure he longed to touch.

“Really Max? Why don’t you tell me again how you’ve changed.”

Closing his eyes he tried to fight the tide of need that relentlessly crashed down upon him day after day refusing to set him free.

He couldn’t make love to her, not after what happened, not after everything… no it could never be the same.

Leave

He told himself over and over again but she was so close and the temptation was so strong…

Leave

Again that little voice in his head screamed to save him but his heart was leading him down a different path and that voice was fading quickly away.

He kept picturing that night, her face flushed with passion, that bastard's hands wrapped around her touching her, holding her…how could she?

Leave!

Then he felt it, her warm breath on his neck, her lips feathering his skin, her tongue skimming erotically along him till she reached the shell of his ear.

“Max, take me.”

Amber luminous eyes flew open as he grabbed her pulling her close, raking his fingers through her silky hair forcing her to look at him.

"Do you have any idea what you're doing to me?"

A slight nod and subtle coy grin released a reckless force inside him that nothing, not even the agony of the past could hold back.

Years of anguish and longing poured into his rough hard kisses that released an unexpected moan from her throat.

Ripping her panties from her hips he fell to his knees throwing the cotton torn material across the room.

Her mouth fell open in a silent scream as he panted breathlessly against the inside of her thigh teasing her for all it was worth.

His mind was spinning with emotions, love hate anger pain all fused together in a torrid need to have her.

To take what was his all those years ago…. Fuck right and wrong, he suffered enough as illogical thoughts scrambled inside his brain.

Reaching up he thumbed her clit flicking it in circles, as his tongue slowly tasted every inch of her essence bringing her right to the edge.

Falling back on his knees he looked up at her all flushed and glistening with sweat shocked by the man that had taken the shy sensitive teenager's place.

“Lay on the bed.”

His husky deep voice was demanding leaving no room for discussion.

Standing he stared her down pulling his shirt off and kicking off his shoes.

Stunned by the incredibly sculpted hard body that had developed from a boy to a man she drank him in like fine wine, making it obvious to him that she liked what she saw.

Licking her lips she scooted across the bed, her knee raised holding herself up on her elbows completely mesmerized by him.

Shedding himself of all his clothes he parted her legs and hovered over her showing no fear, no uncertainty.

She struggled to speak as all her power left her clearly overcome by the seemly beautiful stranger lingering over her.

“Now… Max – “

Lifting her chin up so she would see the seriousness in his eyes he rasped deeply against her parted lips.

“No more talking.”

Settling between her thighs he closed his eyes and breathed her in.

Pure euphoria rushed through his body as he lifted her leg over his hip teasing her as she arched her back tembling in anticipation.

Her head fell back against the bed as she felt his dark hair lightly brush over her breast.

Her hands reached up to clutch his powerful arms gripping them almost painfully as his stiff tongue lifted her rosy nipple inside his mouth.

Max left all gentleness aside as he grabbed her thigh without warning and began to thrust hard and fast deep inside her.

Her whimpers and moans where beyond gratifying as he pounded inside her again and again.

His fingers would surly leave bruises the next day but tomorrow was the furthest thing from his mind.

Tonight was his, finally a night without pain, without suffering …finally she was his again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the far away bark of a dog that woke him from his first peaceful sleep in years.

Lifting his head he sighed in disbelief that she was really laying next to him, flesh and bone, not a dream or a fantasy.

Gone was the anger at least for now as he caressed her back gently with his hand loving every second, every breath that she took.

His loss of control was regrettable as he lovingly kissed her silky skin, in the morning he would make love to her the way he always dreamed it would be, tender, gentle.

Tomorrow he would show her just how much she was loved.

Maybe she knew better, she always had when it came to him he thought to himself as he traced circles along the curve of her hip.

Maybe she knew that talking would get them nowhere accept a loop of accusations and regrets.

Resting his head back on the pillow exhausted at this moment for him it just didn’t matter.

He loved her, he always had and now it was clear he always would.

Pulling her close he gently brushed the back of his hand against her cheek feeling more alive then he had in years.

This was where he belonged …the rest he would sort out later…

Just as he was drifting off to sleep he heard a strange sound, listening closely he realize it was the vibration of her phone.

It was faint, not in her bedroom but he could still hear it.

His eyes darted to her alarm clock.

3:35 am

His mind raced …who the hell could that be.

Squeezing his eyes shut he yelled inside his head to let it go.

He walked into her life after ten years, he needed to expect complications, but still he couldn’t dismiss it.

Carefully he got out of bed and followed the light of her phone as it continued to vibrate on her kitchen table.

He hesitated briefly knowing this was wrong but he just couldn’t help himself.

Lifting it up in his hand he saw the name blinking continuously like a knife piercing his heart.

David

David

David

Unable to breathe he let the phone fall to the ground.

Stumbling around in the dark he reached for his jeans quickly pulling them up as that horrible night resurfaced once again to rip him apart.

Grabbing the rest of his clothes he looked back one more time at her peacefully sleeping like an angel and felt sick to his stomach.

Running down the stairs he stumbled and fell tears filling his eyes completely blindsided by the impossible, the unimaginable, his worst nightmare...the boy that destroyed him was still in her life.

Whispering to himself as he shoved his foot down on the accelerator of his car he mindlessly said the same words over and over as he felt his world fall apart.

“Why Liz…why?”
Last edited by jake17 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Fade Into You (M/L, AU,Adult) chpt 6 8/10/11

Post by jake17 »

sptfire86
angiebrenna
Cardinal
angelina
Lizzy
Jan
Ellie
Carolyn
DestinyDreamer
Eve

Thanks so much for all the sweet fb, sorry Ive been gone so long but I'm going to try like hell to update every few days, I really appreciate the support :)

Chapter 6

Song ~ I’m Mr. Brightside by the Killers

I'm coming out of my cage
And I've been doing just fine
Gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
It started out with a kiss
How did it end up like this
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss
Now I'm falling asleep
And she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke
And she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head
But she's touching his-chest
Now, he takes off her dress
Now, letting me go

And I just can't look its killing me
And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr Brightside

I'm coming out of my cage
And I've been doing just fine
Gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
It started out with a kiss
How did it end up like this
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss
Now I'm falling asleep
And she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke
And she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head
But she's touching his-chest
Now, he takes off her dress
Now, letting me go

Cause I just can't look its killing me
And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr Brightside

I never...
I never...
I never...
I never...

He watched the sun rise and fall from the bed of the hotel unable to move or think locked in a painful haze of disbelief.

Staring at a tacky picture of moonlit trees high above a mountainside that hung slightly crooked at the wall across the room he could still breathe her in.

Her scent was all around him on his clothes his skin tormenting him luring him back into a night he could never forget.

The pain was unbearable gut wrenching paralyzing him in a hypnotic state of fractured memories …some still lingering from the night before and some from years ago.

Gripping the flowered aged comforter he pictured her innocent and pure the look of love staring back at him and only him.

Her long hair bouncing across her tan back as she ran barefoot through the meadow laughter dancing across her flawless young face.

One image blurred into the next as he recalled the ecstasy shinning in her eyes as she looked up at him clutching his arms tight as she cried out his name just hours before.

Unable to withstand the fact that he had been so easily pulled back into this black hole of despair, he should’ve learned his lesson long ago but no all it took was minutes close to the tantalizing alluring magic of Liz Parker to blind him of the past.

How could he be so stupid he thought to himself as he gripped his thick black hair in frustration and regret.

Sitting up suddenly he glanced over at his phone as it sat in silent mode on the nightstand flashing three missed calls.

Looking down he didn’t know what he wanted more, to hear nothing from her or to hear her flimsy weak explanation.

With great trepidation he reached for the phone, two calls were from the law firm that he was supposed to meet with at two concerning his fathers will and one was an unknown number.

With a shaky hand he held the phone up to his ear and listened his heart beating mercilessly hard in his chest.

Her voice …the music falling from her lips that stung and soothed his soul all at the same time was absent all that he could hear was a woman softly breathing …it was her, he knew like he knew the sound of his own breath.

Furious that she didn’t even have the courage to speak to him he threw the phone on the bed and stumbled to the shower.

He wanted to leave this dead end town more than life itself, he thought of every possible way he could wrap up his father’s life from Oregon but one call from the law office ended his escape.

He would have to stay at least another week to wrap up his fathers affairs and legal obligations.

Resting his head on the wall he closed his eyes thrown by how even in death his father could be so cruel.

Standing under the steam wafting from the scalding water he could still feel her hands on him, her voice whispering in his ear, the taste of her skin …and then as if his brain needed to slam him back to reality he saw that name flashing on her phone.

David

David

David

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With his hair still wet he grabbed his keys and walked out into the darkness only slightly aware of the figure sitting quietly in a chair outside the office of the motel.

“Why so sad young man?”

Her voice startled him causing him to stop his brisk stride and squint into the shadows.

“Helen?”

A small smile appeared across her face as she patted the empty chair next to her.

“Have a seat, you look like you need someone to talk to.”

Max was beyond shocked that she was outside and actually talking to him never mind inviting him for a chat.

Was this the same woman that he had seen running from people that was barely able to speak?

Walking closer he saw her red hair that was cut into a short bob and her carefully applied makeup.

For a second he could see through the hard years that left behind wrinkles and sagging skin remarking to himself that she must’ve been quite pretty when she was young.

“I’m so sorry Helen I-I’m late for – “

“Now we’re both too old for lies, these walls are very thin and life is much too short especially mine now sit down, I have some advice for you.”

Stunned by her brash extremely uncharacteristic words he slowly sat next to her and stared out into the woods across the street.

“Helen I think you’re mistaken, maybe it’s another resident that you’ve overheard, I haven’t had any guests and I’m very quiet.”

Laughing slightly she raised her red drawn on eyebrows up in the air and placed her hand in a comforting manner over his.

“That may be true son but you talk to yourself …actually you yell, to tell you the truth I really didn’t have to eavesdrop at all …besides I saw her that night.”

Flushed with embarrassment and humiliation he slumped down in the green chair.

She looked off into the distance as if she was recalling a memory of her own, her voice softened as if she was truly touched by what she witnessed.

“The moon was so bright that night, like a huge spotlight shinning on the both of you, as if you needed one, as if the fireworks bursting all around the both of you wasn’t enough. Oh yes I may not know a lot but I know love when I see it.”

Her words were like swords piercing his skin-digging deep into his body one after another.

Max knew his anger was misplaced but he could only take so much, he had to leave before he said something horrible.

“I think you have me confused with someone one else, I wasn’t with any woman and I really have to go now.”

Turning towards him she curled her delicate fingers with skin as thin as paper around his hand waiting for him to look into her green eyes that held so much sorrow.

“No, It was you and you were with her, you were with your Elizabeth.”

Breathing out in utter agony he pushed the chair back and ran towards his rental car.

“She’s not mine Helen, I’m sorry I have to go now.”

After slamming the door he looked up to see Helen in her flowered blue and yellow housedress standing in front of his headlights.

Her voice was serious, maybe more intense then anything anyone has ever said to him, it spooked him in a way that made him feel extremely uncomfortable.

“She is yours Max, she was then and she still is, love is never wrong and make no mistake if you don’t fight for her you will regret it for the rest of your life.”

If he didn’t think the old woman was insane before he was definitely sure of it now.

Ignoring her he cut the wheel and peeled out of the parking lot watching in his rear view mirror Helen now yelling at the top of her lungs and waving her skinny arms high in the air as if her life depended on it.

“Please Max …everything isn’t as it seems!”

With a million thoughts swirling in his mind he managed to end up in the last place he wanted to be.

He didn’t plan it, with Helen’s words running a loop in his head he wasn’t even paying attention to where he was going…but still he was there.

Max had no idea what he would do or say but that didn’t seem to matter as he stood outside his car and leaned against the door staring up at her window.

For some reason he couldn’t get Helen out of his mind, why after all this time of her running away and hiding from people would she pick him to pour her heart out to?

He really felt as if he was loosing his mind but still he couldn’t just walk away.

She was like a magnet forcing him to her.

It was that moment when he saw two shadows cross in front of the window.

Rage consumed him as he ran up the stairs two by two, all logical reasoning was far behind as he pictured them together embracing his hands on her caressing her.

Fuck!

As he approached her door he could hear them talking,

The sound of his voice ripped inside his stomach but it was the words that stopped him in his tracks.

“You have to tell him.”

Her reply was full of pain, swift and absolute.

“No David, I can’t, it would destroy him, I can’t hurt him, not again.”

Max pressed his forehead against the door and closed his eyes as his imagination took over filling in the blanks for what he couldn’t see.

“He deserves to know the truth.”

He could hear her voice soften, as the heavy sound of boots crossed the wooden floor.

“David please… hold me.”

A quiet sigh released from her lips as his arms wrapped around her.

“I’m here Lizzy, I’ll always be here.”

Then silence…

As if blindsided Max stumbled down the stairs, his mind forming the picture of David undressing her, lifting her in his arms placing her on the bed…. making love to her.

Driving back to his father’s house he grabbing a bottle of vodka he had bought at the only liquor store in town.

He nearly threatened Henry’s life when he was told that they were closed.

The look in Max’s eyes was intense enough that the elderly man sold him the bottle against his better judgment.

Stepping onto the creaky old porch Max slide down the railing onto the steps and began to drink.

His mind torturing himself with images of the two of them together until he passed out from pure exhausted and a little too much booze.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Max?”

Her perfume was so real it amazed him that a dream could be so authentic.

“You’re not real, but you can stay if you promise not to fuck with my mind this time.” He laughed as the bottle fell out of his hand and tumbled down the steps near her feet.

Gathering up her courage she took a deep breath and shook his shoulder.

“Max you’re not dreaming, please wake up….we need to talk.”

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Fade Into You (M/L, AU,Adult) chpt 7 8/22/11

Post by jake17 »

Carolyn
Natalie
angiebrenna
Eve
Ginger

Thank you so much for the fb! The suspense is over, Max is finally going to hear the truth.

My grandma's birthday was August 13, She's been gone for nine years now but I still miss her as if it were yesterday. Her name was Helen, she was a die hard romantic, a very passionate person, she would've loved being a character in my story. I'd like to dedicate this to her, thanks for being so loving to me meme, I loved hearing all of your stories. I miss u.

Chapter 7

Song ~ Uninvited by Alanis Morissette

Like anyone would be
I am flattered by your fascination with me
Like any hot-blooded woman
I have simply wanted an object to crave
But you, you're not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight

Must be strangely exciting
To watch the stoic squirm
Must be somewhat heartening
To watch shepherd need shepherd
But you you're not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight

Like any uncharted territory
I must seem greatly intriguing
You speak of my love like
You have experienced love like mine before
But this is not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight

I don't think you unworthy
I need a moment to deliberate

The sight of her unlike so many times before made him feel physically sick as he stumbled to his feet.

Trying to focus his blurry vision from his vodka haze he backed up against the screen door dread clawing at his stomach at what he had seen and heard just hours before.

“Get the hell out of here.”

His words sounded harsh which was their intent; the damn had broken, his patience for her flowed away fast like rushing water.

All he could see was the image of him all over her, touching her, kissing her, deep inside her.

“Fucking leave!!”

Placing his hands over his face he tried to block her out but her voice echoed through the night tormenting what little mind he had left.

“No, Max how much did you have to drink tonight?”

Her question only proved to ignite his rage and pain. How dare she ask him anything, want anything from him.

“What it took to get you out of my mind, only it didn’t work because here you are, right in front of me glowing like the god damn sun. Get back in your car and get the fuck out of here!”

Unable to handle her presence any longer he fumbled with the door before entering the house leaving her standing outside alone.

Her words hit her like punches to the gut but she couldn’t just walk away and leave things the way they were, they weren’t kids any more.

Inside he bit back the sting of tears that rushed to his eyes refusing to cry he fell into the kitchen chair gripping his thick black hair in his hands.

Closing his eyes as he heard the screen door creak he lowered his head to the cool wood below fighting the images that continued to rush through his mind.

Slowly he began to rock back and forth hoping she would just leave, praying that for once God would intervene.

All that halted when he felt her gentle hand rest on his shoulder.

“Max we need to talk.”

His red swollen eyes slowly opened as he kicked the chair out from beneath him.

Swiftly walking to the opposite side of the kitchen he rested his back against the wall.

He couldn’t fight the uncontrollable urge to look up at her.

The back of his head hit the wall as the air quickly escaped his strained lungs.

Her beauty was unmatched and as dangerous as poison he thought to himself as he allowed his amber gaze to slowly take her in.

Max laughed out loud like a crazy man thinking that even nature was in on torturing him as the brilliant incandescent moonlight poured in illuminating her like some kind of angel.

He cursed the weak alcohol as it began to dissipate from his brain leaving him painfully sober.

Raising his hand out towards her he smiled, his lips parted, his head tilted, breath shaky.

He knew it was the end, the end of dreams that on some days saved him from giving up.

Liz belonged to him, always has, always will.

His heavy lids weighed his dark eyes lashes downward as he took a moment to appreciate her magic, the truly illicit power that she possessed over him.

She was …beautiful

Poised in front of him breathing hard, her body rose and fell slowly, her pale pink sundress shimmering against her golden radiant skin.

Bare foot one knee bent behind the other, her delicate hands resting on her slender hips.

It was only when he glimpsed her face that his knees almost buckled betraying him.

Her eyes big and intense staring him down judging his every move, like pools of dark gold that went on forever, endless perfection gazing into his soul bent on destroying him.

Glimmering pink lips moved to speak, as he stood mesmerized by the very thing that could level him with one breath.

“Max things aren’t as they seem.”

He laughed as he wiped the sweat from his forehead.

“That seems to be the consensus in this town.”

He couldn’t believe that Helen’s words came right back to haunt him. Clearly he was loosing his mind.

Sighing he shook his head as she slowly began to approach him.

“If you have ever cared at all for me …”

Tears welled in her eyes as she raised her slender finger up to brush the raven stray hair from his pained glare.

His voice cracked almost pleading begging for her to take pity on him.

“…please …Liz …don’t.”

Unaffected by his faltering attempt to push her away she rose up on her tip toes and mercilessly pressed her body against his.

He averted his eyes at a half ass effort to escape her power.

Max’s body shivered as her breath kissed his cheek softly effortlessly forcing him to look down at her.

What …what do you want from me?”

His eyes slid shut as her hands lifted his shirt caressing his skin on his stomach up to his chest around his back sending blazing heat in their trails.

His head lowered to her shoulder as she melted into him sighing as his strong back flexed beneath her touch.

Gritting his teeth he felt it happening again …his will bending twisting breaking to her.

Cursing the heavens he lowered his hands clutching the hem of her dress in his strong grip.

Pulling back he glanced down at her as if asking for permission.

She parted her lips silently giving in needing so desperately to lose herself in him, knowing that this would be the last time, that after he knew the truth he would never want her this way again.

A deep low growl escaped from deep in his throat as he lifted her dress and reached for her panties pulling them hard ripping them from her body.

From that moment on it was like a blur as he took what he needed what he would never have again without thought or regret.

She moaned as he lifted her up wrapping her legs around his waist in a desperate attempt to feel her as close as possible.

His legs shook, his body too tired to stand he lowered her onto the kitchen table and stood back.

Max wanted to take her in, memorize every curve, every detail of her knowing that this was the end.

Stepping between her legs he skimmed his fingers gently over her cheek down to the line of her jaw and sighed.

How was he going to live without her…

His need for her was bordering on painful, and she knew it.

Rising up to a sitting position between his thighs she pulled at the button on his jeans and lowered his zipper, the entire time staring up at him without a sound.

Her blazing hands then lifted his shirt caressing the skin beneath it.

His stomach trembled as she felt each muscle, every line burning the memory inside her mind.

Once his shirt was thrown to the ground he pushed his jeans down his hips letting them fall to the floor.

The sight of him over powered her senses causing her to be lost in a dizzy state of euphoria.

Her breathless plea tugged at his last shred of self-control causing him to pull roughly at the buttons that ran down her dress.

A soft moan fell from her lips as they ricocheted across the room leaving her bare before him

His lips quickly found her breast causing her to dig her fingers into his back as she pressed her core to him desperate for him to fill her.

Feeling her slick wetness against him was all it took for him to grip her ass burying himself deep inside her.

For a moment they were still, shivering, breathless savoring the moment, the pure ecstasy of being one until it became too much to bear.

With a furious pace he held onto for all it was worth pouring all his pain and love inside her.

With one hand pressed to her low back and the other laced within her silky hair he moaned against her mouth while her kissed her roughly passionately desperately …

Sweat glistened off of their bodies as the dance of their story continued against the moonlit night.

Her lungs burned for air as she arched her back letting him take complete control relenting to his urge to take all of her to leave nothing behind.

With all her strength gone she held on to his shoulders as he moaned against her breast his hot breath sending the sweetest pleasure ripping through her body.

Her name hovered on his tongue repeating over and over as if he was desperate for her to hear it forever.

Max wanted it to last, but it was just too much.

Before long he body began to betray him shaking so hard he could just about hold her his sweaty grip failing him as he lowered her to the table.

With one final thrust he opened his eyes just in time to watch her fall over the edge her walls squeezing him warm and wet she succumbed letting him have this to keep with him forever.

Breathlessly he collapsed, his face resting against her neck as he tried to come down.

Swallowing hard he finally managed to pull away from her.

The loss of that feeling already ripping a hole deep inside him as he reached for his jeans securing them back in place.

Leaning back against the wall he watched with judgmental eyes as she tried to close the gap of her ripped dress with one hand while pulling the material down past her waist.

Max chuckled amused by her act of sadness.

“There’s no need to put on a show, I know a pity fuck when I see one. You don’t have to pretend with me.”

Brushing back her damp hair she became infuriated.

“Is that what you think that was?”

Cocking his head to the side he reached for his shirt wiping her sweat from his chest.

“Wasn’t it?”

Sliding off the table she rested her hand for a moment to steady her shaky legs.

How could he not feel her love for him? How cold could he be? Had she hurt him that much that she had taken his humanity from him?

Her whisper was full of agony knowing that now she had to tell him the truth.

“No Max, it wasn’t.”

Rubbing his neck he looked out the screen door unable to watch her fix herself to go home to him.

“Ok then what was it?”

Lined with sorrow she crossed her arms in front of her chest now ashamed of what she had just let him do.

“It was a goodbye.”

Wringing his tee shirt in his hands he felt rage rise inside him.

“So, you going to marry him? Be his wife?”

Max punctuated every word with a hatred that even surprised her.

“You have it all wrong Max. I’m not with David.”

“Liar!”

“Max – “

“No! I saw you, heard you together. Don’t even think you can fucking lie to me!"

Rushing towards her he gripped her shoulders forcing her arms down.

Her dress flew open leaving her completely bare to his eyes once again.

“Just tell me the truth! You owe me that much! Tell me about that night, how you fucked him, how your still fucking him!”

Tears now flowing down her flushed cheeks she shook her head violently. “No, Max no, I would never.”

“Liar!”

“Max, she’s not lying to you. Please… just let her go.”

Liz’s look of relief was evident as she wriggled out of Max’s hands.

Running to him she jumped into his welcoming arms crying openly.

“David.”

Staring at Max David rubbed her back as he reached for a throw blanket that was folded over a chair.

Wrapping it around her he whispered softly to her.

“I had a feeling you would be here, are you alight, did he hurt you.”

Squeezing her eyes tight she shook her head as the tears continued to flow.

In total disbelief Max began to laugh running his hands through his hair.

“She’s fine David, just recovering from a good fuck is all.”

Closing his eyes he took a deep breath trying to calm himself down.

“Because you're confused and because I know you still love her I’m going to let that slide, I feel sorry for you Max. Because of school boy jealously you missed out on loving the most incredible woman alive. You have no idea how much she suffered to protect you all these years. truth is you never deserved her.”

“David please don’t.”

Shaking his head he held her close as she cried refusing to stay silent.

“No, he should’ve known all along, he doesn’t deserve the peace you sacrificed for him, its time he knew the truth.”

“David – ‘

Exhausted Max sat down and leaned back ready to hear anything he had to tell him.

“No Liz if you can’t tell me let you lover do it. It’s time …go ahead tell me about how you fucked my girlfriend.”

Shaking his head his last nerve gone David scoffed at him.

“Can’t do that Max. What I can do is tell you how I protected her from you father that night, how he had her corned, pinned down groping her. I can tell you how I walked in on them how I punched him in the face and pushed him down the stairs. I can tell you how she cried not for herself but for you, how she shook in my arms begging me not to tell anyone, not to tell you.”

Liz buried her face in his chest sobbing uncontrollably.

“Didn’t you ever wonder how your dad got so banged up and bruised that night?”

All the blood drained from Max’s face as memories flooded back to him. His mind worked hard to make sense of what David was saying but it was all jumbled and backwards.

He recalled his father’s excuse, how he had gotten into a fight at the bar, only now he remembered scratches down his face.

“What you walked in on was me comforting her, she was hysterical, all she cared about was you. She made me swear not to tell you, she was so worried about hurting you but it didn't even matter because you didn’t even stick around to hear her out, you just assumed the worst. If you ask me you're a selfish little shit who never deserved her but just so you know, she never blamed you, never stopped loving you.”

Kissing the top of her head David gently eased her towards the door.

“Its ok Lizzy, its all over. Its finally over.”

Paralyzed with guilt completely desvasted Max sat frozen David's words running over and over in his mind as that night played out in his head for the first time in a very different way.

He jumped as the screen door slammed shut tears edging over his black eyelashes as he realized what he had done.

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Fade Into You (M/L, AU,Adult) chpt 8 10/23/11

Post by jake17 »

Natalie
Eve
Carolyn
Ellie
Ginger
angiebrenna
angelina

Thank you so much for all your very sweet fb, it's all so amazing, it keeps me writing, I so appreciate it! so happy we're back up and running! It was all especially scary because I had never saved all of my 40 plus stories here :shock: needless to say thanks to my daughter I now own a flashdrive, :roll: :D

Just a little recap since its been a while on where i left off.

Max has just found out that his father tried to rape Liz only to be saved by David. Instead of what he remembers as a passionate embrace was really David giving her comfort. The secret all these years was kept by Liz to protect Max from the pain of knowing what his father had done. Now Max is left with having to look deep inside as to why he suspected the worst, why he was so quick to think she had never loved him, and why he felt he had no choice but to run from it all. At the same time he is faced with the responsiblity of the damage he had unknowingly done to the only girl he has ever loved.

Chapter 8

My Immortal By Evanescence

I'm so tired of being here, suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave, I wish that you would just leave
Your presence still lingers here and it won't leave me alone

These wounds won't seem to heal, this pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried, I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream, I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me

You used to captivate me by your resonating light
Now, I'm bound by the life you left behind
Your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away all the sanity in me

These wounds won't seem to heal, this pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

But you still have all of me

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me, I've been alone all along

But you still have all of me, me, me

Still with the sweat of her skin lingering on his lips Max looking despondent and lost shuffled into his lawyer’s office and flopped in a daze into a hard leather chair.

Smelling from an obvious alcoholic binge Marge, Attorney Peterson’s receptionist wrung her hands together nervously.

“Mr. Evans can I get you some water or some…black coffee perhaps?”

Clearing her throat when he neglected to answer Marge signaled to her boss that Max was in bad shape.

Nodding the older balding attorney raised his hand to the door letting Marge know that he could handle the problem at hand.

Taking a seat behind his large mahogany desk soft spoken Peterson reached for Max’s file and began going over the details concerning his father’s estate and will.

“I realize that the death of a parent is very painful but there are legal obligations that just can’t be ignored, I’m pleased that you decided to come in to settle matters. Now onto the house located on 345 Bristle lane and the acres surrounding the property – “

Somewhere in Max’s mind he was aware of the words that were spoken but his mind …or rather his heart was breaking making everything else seem meaningless and trivial.

The agony of the truth, the brutal reality of what his father had done and the pain he himself had unknowingly inflicted upon her was beyond devastating.

“Sell it.”

Taking all the effort he had Max pushed off the chair to a standing position and reached for the door handle.

“Sell it all, Leave me a voice mail when it’s all done and I tell you where to deposit the money.”

Stumbling onto the sidewalk Max raised his hand to shield the bright sun from his eyes.

Everything seemed so overwhelming, so wrong and random.

It was as if nothing held any meaning or purpose.

He wanted to make it all stop.

It was confusing to him that the world kept spinning, that people where going on as if nothing had happened.

It was like everything froze in time for him.

Like what he had discovered was so horrible he couldn’t step over it, move past that moment.

Irrational mulled thoughts spun inside his brain as the picture of his father touching Liz refused to let him rest.

His stomach twisted in knots in nauseated agony as he stared up at the old motel each cruel word he said to her echoing loudly unforgiving inside his head.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw a tuft of red hair, closing his eyes he pushed through his door and reached for his suitcase.

He could feel her presence there waiting patiently for him to turn around.

He voice was strained anguish dripping from each letter.

“Helen I’ll be checking out today, I have a flight back to Oregon in a few hours.”

Tears spilled over his dark eyelashes making his vision blur as he threw his clothes in his bag.

Taking a deep breath Helen carefully chose her words as she placed a caring hand on his slumped over shoulder.

“Max…you can’t just give up now… “

Reaching for some much needed comfort Max held her hand that lightly pressed on his achy muscles.

For a moment he lost himself noting how warm and soft her skin was, so thin see through like paper lined with purple veins and arthritic joints.

He could feel her concern for him, and for a moment he wondered if she was an angel sent to pull him back from the edge.

Only there was nothing left to save, he felt hollow and empty.

With only a dead man and himself to blame.

His voice cracked as he tried to hold it together.

“You don’t understand …it’s too late…. I’ve don’t too much damage …its better for her if I just …go.”

Quickly Helen moved to face him placing her hands firmly on his face.

“Rubbish! Now I don’t mean to get rough with you Max but your making the same mistake you made ten years ago and I can’t let you do it!”

Pulling away from her he grabbed his suitcase and walked out the door to a waiting taxi.

“You don’t know what the hell your talking about Helen!”

Running after him with her blue housecoat and pink slippers Helen shouted as he reached for the door of the cab.

“Max your father told me what he did. Please …trust me running away from this isn’t going to free you from it. It didn’t work back then and it will not work now. You have to talk to her …you owe her that much!”

Max rested his forehead on the metal doorframe her words crushing his already wrecked heart.

Questions flashed through his mind quickly as to what connection his father could possibly have with Helen.

How did she seem to know everything and more importantly why did his father choose her to confess his sins to.

It was all too much for him to wrap his brain around as the need to be as far away from this nightmare as possible pushed him forward.

Through clenched teeth he threw his suitcase on the seat and ordered the driver to go to the airport.

Just then clouds darkened the sky as rain fell in sudden sheets against the car.

Lightening streaked across the horizon as he dug his fingers into his temples.

He squeezed his eyes shut as memories of the past flooded his mind.

Desperately he tried to push them out but it was useless as everything began to replay in his mind.

A memory that had played itself so many times before began to tell a different story as all the pieces fell into place.

With each horrify image Max shivered with dread and regret.

Her beautiful face was no longer flushed with passionate fire from an embrace but of a fierce struggle, a terrifying fight with a monster fueled by alcohol and rage.

As the images twisted and turned the truth was all too clear.

How could he not have seen it before?

How could he not have trusted her?

As the car raced through the pounding rain Max sat in horror realizing that he was the one that had caused them both all those years of pain and torture.

As thunder crashed above him the taxi pulled up to the departure entrance.

Max found himself standing at his gate water still dripping down off his lips to a growing puddle at his feet.

“Sir can I have your ticket please?”

Startled out of his daze Max slowly nodded before reached inside his bag to retrieve his coach ticket onto the plane and back into his old life.

Gripping it hard he hesitated as the blood drained from his face that there would be no going back.

Now that he had the truth or more likely the truth had him.

“Sir?”

Stuffing the ticket in his back pocket Max wiped the rain droplets from his forehead before painfully lifting his intense gaze up to the young woman before him.

“Sorry, I changed my mind, I-I’ll be staying a while longer after all …”

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Fade Into You (M/L, AU,Adult) chpt 9 11/28/11

Post by jake17 »

So sorry I don't have time to thank all of you individually, you have no idea how thankful I am for your amazing supportive fb!
thank you so much!

Song ~ Open Your Eyes by Snow Patrol

Chapter 9

All this feels strange and untrue and I wont waste a minute without you
My bones ache my skin feels cold
And I'm getting so tired and so old

The anger swells in my guts
And I won't feel these slices and cuts
I want so much to open your eyes
'Cause I need you to look into mine

Tell me that you'll open your eyes
Tell me that you’ll open your eyes

Get up, get out, get away from these liars
'Cause they don't get your soul or your fire
Take my hand, knot your fingers through mine
And we'll walk from this dark room for the last time

Every minute from this minute now
We can do what we like anywhere
I want so much to open your eyes
'Cause I need you to look into mine

Tell me that you'll open your eyes

“That’ll be fifteen even sir.”

Max sat frozen just staring up at her window drenched and shivering completely unresponsive to the cab driver.

The thin frail silver haired cabbie sighed heavily before raising his arm across the passenger seat twisting his body so he could get eye to eye with his obviously upset customer.

Furrowing his fuzzy eyebrows at the sight of Max that was dripping wet and emotionally broken the man felt compelled to speak.

“It’s none of my business young man but is everything alright?”

Blinking his eyes quickly Max pulled himself out of his thougths and scrambled for his wallet.

Keeping his eyes on her window he handed a damp twenty dollar bill over but still didn’t move to get out.

“Sorry, it’s a little soggy, I got caught in the rain.

Max’s voice was hoarse, his body slumped over against the window still staring up at her apartment waiting for the right words to come to him.

Sqinting his grey eyes to better bring him into focus the cabbie lowered his head first to Max then up to the lit window above.

“If you want I can wait here for you, you seem a little unsure.”

Max closed his eyes for a moment before reaching out for the handle on the door.

Max spoke slowly and with purpose even though he had never met the driver.

“It’s just that the girl I love is up there and it’s a very good possibity that she’s going to tell me to fuck off, I’m not sure if I can handle that.”

Nodding understandably the driver sat forward again wincing at his aching back in the process.

“Well all I have to say is this, I’ve been around a lot longer then you have therefor I can speak with a certain wisdom that only comes with experience and the stupidity of youth.”

Pressing his forehead against the glass Max sighed feeling as if his heart was broken in a million pieces.

“Go ahead.”

Stroking a small faded picture of a woman that looked like it was taken in the fifties the cabbie smiled slightly. It was a smile that held incredible memories and tremedous sadness.

“It’s really simple my friend, there is nothing more important or more vital in this world then love. Pride, fear, money, career … it’s all just bullshit. None of those things keep you warm at night or ease your soul when life is just too much too handle.”

Flashing his steel grey eyes up to the rear view mirror he could see the pain in Max’s eyes.

“Let me ask you a question. Is she the one?”

Closing his tired eyes Max nodded knowing just how close he was to loosing her forever.

“Well then you have no choice, do whatever it takes son, grovel, apologize fall to your knees if you think it will help but don’t let her get away, because I promise you this if you don’t you will regret it for the rest of your life.”

Pulling the handle on the car Max grabbed his suitcase and ran towards the door but not before thanking the old man first.

Before the driver could respond Max was asending the stairs to her apartment.

Raising his fist to the door he could hear David inside, he knew he wouldn’t make this easy, but that didn’t matter, not any more.

Max knocked twice before hearing them argue inside. No matter how much it hurt him to admit it he knew that they were very close and it was something that he had to respect.

“Liz don’t open that door, please…”

Max looked down to see the doorknob begin to turn.

“Liz! Wait wait, just hear me out, please think about what we’ve talked about. I can give you a life here, you know that. I can make you happy, give you the family that you’ve aways wanted, I can be everything you’ve ever wanted.”

Max pressed his forehead against the door his breath shallow and strained, he knew he had no right to interfer that this had to be her choice.

Moments that seemed like hours passed as Max listened carefully still dripping wet from the rain outside.

Finally she spoke choosing every word carefully with respect and love.

“David, it wouldn’t be fair to you…as much as I love and care for you I don’t feel the way a woman in love should feel, and you deserve someone who does. You deserve so much more.”

Suddenly the door swung open causing Max to stumble back against the wall awkwardly.

Devastated David pushed passed him without making eye contact in obvious pain.

“I hope you know what your doing, I don’t think she could survive if you hurt her again.”

With that he was gone down the stairs and out the door leaving Max shaken by his words.

Eventually finding the courage to walk inside her apartment Max spotted her slumped over at the kitched table softly weeping into her hands.

“That wasn’t easy to do, he’s been there for me all these years.”

Silently Max sat across from her and nodded knowing that every word and action from this point on could mean having her in his life or loosing her forever.

There was no room for jealous or immature rivalery, it was her feelings and emotions that mattered, it was all he was concerned about.

Max’s voice was calm and quiet almost a whisper.

“David’s a good man.”

Her cries became louder as she tucked her hair behind her ears and nodded slowly.

“And I hurt him, I hurt him so much.”

Reaching out to gently touch her hand Max tried to comfort her.

“Did you ever mislead him? Did he have reason to think that you saw him as anything but a friend?”

Shaking her head she sat back. “No, never but –“

“Liz its not your fault …none of this mess is.”

Looking up at him with red swollen eyes she seemed completely emotionally and physically exhausted.

“We need to talk Liz, but not right now, right now you need to rest.”

Liz was clearly taken aback by his gentle caring tone.

Getting up from the table he came around to her and slipped off her shoes and cradled her in his arms.

Too tired to argue or put up a fight she rested her head on his shoulder as he carried her into her bedroom.

With great care he pulled back the covers on her bed and placed her gently down before removing her clothes leaving her in just her panties.

Walking to her dresser drawer he pulled out a blue short cotton night gown and pulled it over her head while she wearily held her arms up to help him.

After covering her up with a blanket he kissed her forehead and turned off her bedside lamp.

Kneeling on the floor at her side he tenderly began to stroke her hair with a feathers touch as he whispered against her ear.

“Please try and get some rest.”

Suddenly she grabbed his wrist forcing him to look into her eyes, needing him to take her seriously.

“Max this doesn’t mean that – “

Nodding he grabbed her desk chair and placed it beside her bed.

“Shh…I know, its ok …just try and sleep.”

Fighting her heavy eyelids seemed fruitless as she pulled the covers over her shoulder and finally began to drift off.

“Max, wait …will you still be here – “

Easing her back onto her pillow he smiled sweetly wetting her cheek with droplets of water that fell from his jet-black hair as he kissed her.

“I promise I’ll be right here when you wake up, I’m not going anywhere.”
Last edited by jake17 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Fade Into You (M/L, AU,Adult) chpt 10 12/10/11

Post by jake17 »

Ellie
Eve
angiebrenna
angelina
L-J-L 76
Natalie
Carolyn
Ginger
Cardinal
roswell3053

Thank you so so much to all the people above for leaving such great fb! And thanks to all the lurkers out there! ... Helen is not Max's mom but she is very important, thanks roswell3053 for noticing Helen's part in all this, and for finding the story in the first place, so happy you like it! :)

chapter 10

Song ~ Landslide by Stevie Nicks

I took my love, I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
Till the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
Mmm, mmm, mmm

Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older and I'm getting older too

Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older and I'm getting older too
Oh, I'm getting older too

Awh, take my love, take it down
Awh, climb a mountain and turn around
And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide bring it down

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide bring it down
Oh, the landslide bring it down

Startled awake by the loud bark of the dog next-door Liz sat up in bed with images of the night before rushing to her.

Suddenly remembering everything that happened she took a deep breath and sighed sadly.

Whatever the outcome she had lost a dear friend and that wouldn’t be an easy thing to deal with.

Pushing her tousled hair from her face she looked around the darkened room before her eyes settled on her alarm clock by her bed.

3:34 am

“Max?”

Moving the empty desk chair from her bedside she tiptoed silently into the kitchen whispering his name.

“Max? Are you there?”

He was huddled in the corner with his cell phone pressed against his forehead clearly upset.

Confused but concerned Liz called out for him again. “Max? Is everything alright?”

Startled out of his thoughts Max looked up at her showing signs of immense distress.

“Liz… I’m sorry did the phone wake you?”

Shaking her head she anxiously approached him placing her hand on his shoulder.

“Max what is it? What happened?”

As if in shock he stared down at the number on his cell trying to make sense of what he was feeling.

“It was Portland Hospital … Helen had a stroke. She’s in intensive care and…well the nurse said she doesn’t have much time.”

Trying to show support but a little surprised Liz ran her fingers through the back of his thick hair.

“Max …why did they call you? How did they even know your number?”

Slowly shaking his head Max fought back unexpected tears. “The nurse said that Helen told them to call me. She wants to see me …before …well …before she…”

Disappearing for a moment into her bedroom Liz emerged dressed with her keys in her hand.

“Well your not going alone …we better hurry …lets go.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

During the twenty-minute drive to the hospital Max sat staring blankly out the window.

It was slowly occurring to him just how much Helen had been there for him seemingly just when he needed someone the most.

It was now apparent that she had been watching him all along.

“Max …is Helen a relative that I’m not aware of?”

Shaking his head his glared out the window as swells of emotion rose in his chest.

“No, but since I’ve been back she’s been there for me. Always trying …to help me.”

Liz looked over at Max then back at the road in obvious bewilderment. “Max …did she ever talk to you about …us?”

A quick chuckle escape his lips as he pictured Helen standing blazingly in front of his car waving her arms around begging for him to listen to her.

"That’s saying it mildly. Since I got here she’s been obsessed with the subject of you and me.”

Tilting her head to the side Liz squinted her eyes completely understanding what he meant by that.

“I don’t know how to tell you this but she’s been doing the same with me. She’s the reason I knew you were back in town and staying at her motel for that matter.”

Confused Max stared back at her wondering what all this meant.

“Come to think of it I would often see Helen around town in the weirdest places over the years …it was like she was checking on me or something. It wasn’t a bad thing. She was always very nice… her and that cab driver friend of hers.”

Turning towards her as she pulled into the parking lot of the hospital Max grabbed her arm.

“What did you just say?”

Looking a little alarmed at his behavior Liz turned the car off and sat back in the seat calmly.

“She didn’t bother me or anything Max …really it was nice having someone around to ask how I was and what was going on in my life. Helen is really very sweet.”

Shaking his head his tone became very serious. “No, not that, who is this cab driver?”

“You mean Matthew? Well I guess they’re friends he was always with her. It was obvious he has some kind of affection for her …you could just tell.”

Completely confused Max exited the car and was now practically running towards the door of the hospital.

“Max what is it?”

Gazing up at the signs along the corridor Max reached for her hand.

“Tell me Liz …what does Matthew look like?”

Pulling his arm back towards the nurses station Liz thought for a moment.

“Well he’s tall very thin, he has beautiful silver hair and almost grey blue eyes. Max what is going on?”

Looking up at a tired middle-aged nurse Max urgently spoke.

“Intensive care please. I’m here to see a woman named Helen.”

Pausing from her work she glanced up at Max over her glasses and sighed.

“Are you family sir?”

Shaking his head Max looked increasing upset. “No, but the nurse called me and told me to come down. She said there isn’t much time – “

“I’m sorry sir but only family is allowed –“

”Gracie its ok …Max is with me.”

Max froze when he heard the gruff low familiar voice behind him.

The nurse tapped a pen several times on her desk before nodding towards the door in front of them.

“Go on in Matthew.”

A forced smile cracked his wrinkled tear stained face as he pressed his shaky hand against Max’s back gently urging him forward.

“What is going on? Who are you?” Max wrapped his hand tighter around Liz letting her know he needed her with him.

Trailing a step or two behind Liz softly whispered in his ear.

“Max how do you know Matthew?”

Keeping his eyes set on the old man Max whispered back to Liz as they approached a desk surrounded by several rooms forming a semi circle.

“He was the taxi driver that drove me to your house last night. He gave me this big inspirational talk about not letting love go … I was too messed up to think anything about it then but now …”

Turning towards the lanky elderly man Max’s tone became harsh.

“Ok … Its obvious you know who I am. Now who the hell are you?!”

Looking over Max’s shoulder Matthew nodded at the young nurse that was holding a clipboard close to her chest. Clearing her throat she avoided eye contact as she shuffled past the three of them.

“She’s resting comfortably but it wont be long now.”

Still looking for answers Max followed the nurse and Matthew to a darkened room.

“I’ll be right outside if you need anything.”

The nurse’s eyes flickered up towards Matthew as she closed the door behind her.

Max stood at the end of Helen’s bed afraid to move as Liz stood by his side holding his hand.

With great love and care Matthew walked up to Helen and kissed her softy on the lips causing her to open her sleepy eyes.

“Sweetheart... he’s here.”