DEA Meets Highway Patrol(AU,M/L,ADULT) epil. 7/10/11

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 11 6/19/11

Post by mary mary »

Cardinal: Don't give up on Max, maybe there's more to the story than you've heard. :wink:
Natalie: I wrote that house up that way because there have been times, since my kids are grown, when I wish I could have just expanded my walls like that travel trailer. As a matter of fact, we used the RV as extra sleeping quarters many times. Now they're scattered everywhere and I spend holidays with them...Thank God!!! :) I grew up in a five bedroom, huge, huge house in Pennsylvania and we always had room for visitors. It was great. :)
XAF RU208: :D :D :D
Eve: So glad you are enjoying this...I wasn't sure if it would be accepted due to the story line but it seems you guys are buying into it. Thanks. :)

*~*~*

Chapter: 11

When we got in mom’s car after being dropped off by Doug mom had me call dad to tell him to bring my bedroom furniture…and every thing else in my bedroom with him and to bring Grandma’s boxes out of storage. He had to rent a truck he might as well fill it up.

“We won’t buy you any furniture for your room Liz. We don’t know what’s in that pool house but when this is all over we can use your furniture for in there if you don’t want it for your own place some day. Oh God Liz, I think I’m going to pee my pants I’m so excited.”

God, I don’t think I have ever seen my mother like this…and is she fun.

“Mom, you have to settle down. What has gotten into you anyway. You have never done a spontaneous thing in your life and to do this is outrageous!”

“I know Liz, isn’t it fun?”

“Fun? Good God… I had no idea you and dad had this kind of money…what did you do? Rob a bank?”

And my mother laughed.

“No sweetie. You know your grandmother left you a nice legacy but do you realize the royalties we get every year on the sale of your grandmother’s books. The last one she wrote is required reading in every university and college archaeology department on earth. I forget how many languages it’s written in. Your dad told me that if I ever found the house I wanted to just get it. I have been living above that diner since day one and now I have room to invite people to come and visit…I can serve a meal at a real dining room table. I can realize a dream I have had since I was a little girl. I’m just sorry that I could never do this with you Liz.”

My mother made me feel awful…I hope she didn’t think my childhood was lacking because it certainly was not.

“Oh mom…please don’t ever think that I felt like our home wasn’t good enough to invite my friends over. You know that isn’t true. There was always a house full of kids while I was growing up. It never entered my mind that it wasn’t enough. It was filled with love and fun and isn’t that what it’s all about anyway?”

“Yes sweetie it is. And now we will build a fun and loving home around this building. I have no intentions of making it pretentious. It will be cozy, warm and inviting and people will love to come and we will have room for them to stay and enjoy themselves for more than an afternoon. I am so excited I can hardly wait until your father gets here. Now, we need to find something for that master bedroom. You can have it and I’ll take your room for the time being since I won’t be staying all of the time. I want to look around but I want your father to help pick the stuff out with me. It’s going to be his room too.”

I smiled warmly at my mother. I knew dad wouldn’t care what she wanted after having our last conversation. This is the first time I have ever actually visited with my mother alone on an adult level and she really is fun to be around.

Meanwhile, in another part of town Doug Shellow was on the phone with someone…

“Well Jose’, have you found out anything of interest?”

“No sir, only that you had a date with the lady once a long time ago and I think we can stop the surveillance. These two women are talking furniture, houses, company and entertaining people. This is a waste of our time senor.”

“Well, okay…take the device off the car tonight. We don’t want them finding it and calling in the police to see what’s going on.”

“Yes sir.”

Max:

“Hey Jimmy, just checking in. Kyle, Michael and I spent the week-end going over plans and we think we’ve come up with some pretty simple ideas that should yield us the greatest amount of information. We all agreed on keeping it simple as well as covert. I have four guys that I’m going to use at the border. That way a person in the know will be working at all times. We’ll change the tapes daily and I will pick them up and make the exchanges myself and I also have given the four men mini camcorders to photograph the faces in the vehicles. The video cameras that are set up at the border don’t always get all of the occupants in the vehicles and we do want to see all of the faces. There is also a few miles that are traveled before the border check point and I think we need to set up a hidden camera closer to the border to photograph anyone coming across that doesn’t make it as far as the check point. I don’t know how they would do it but it is possible.”

“I agree Max. We are transferring one of our agents from our L.A. office to the New Mexico area as we speak. This agent will still answer to the L.A. office but for the time being will be on loan. The agent’s expertise is a certain field that I think will be best utilized in New Mexico but will remain undercover for obvious reasons. Good job Max and we’ll be in contact. Take care.”

“Will do Jimmy. So long.”

Jeff:

“Jim, can you take the day off and come over and give me a hand. I’m only asking because I need to take a drive to Columbus. Nancy found a house she wants to buy and I need to move Liz’s bedroom stuff.”

“What in the hell are you talking about Jeff? Are you selling the Crash?”

“Not any time soon Jim, but I did tell Nancy that if she ever saw a place she wanted to go ahead and get it…I just never dreamed she would find some place out of Roswell. Anyway, she and Liz are down there setting up a place for Liz to live in that isn’t too expensive while she’s in school …little did I know it was going to cost me half a million.”

“Christ, what did she find? A damned mansion?”

“Well, if it’s anything like the pictures Liz e-mailed me I think it’s a small one. Anyway, can you come over?”

“Hell yes…I’ll even take a drive with you, I need to see this place.”

“Well alright then. Get over here and I’ll treat you to lunch.”

And with that the men hung up. It wasn’t but half an hour later that Jeff was sitting in a booth having coffee with the local sheriff and talking about the real reason Liz was in Columbus and his role in the game that was going down.

“Wow Jeff. I knew this was a big operation when they called me but I had no idea just how big. I was in D C for a meeting awhile back and we were told to enlist only those people we totally trusted and so far I haven’t found anyone but it looks like that has been taken care of for me. We aren’t to know any more of the people in the task force than is necessary for obvious reasons since this is a nationwide operation but I didn’t know we were going to use civilians. Wow. I didn’t know Liz worked for the D E A…how long has she been with them?”

“A little over a year now. We were told not to tell anyone when she hired on and we couldn’t understand exactly why since she is a forensic scientist and works in a lab but now I guess it was a good thing. Her cover is that she’s going to Las Cruces to school and Columbus is a cheaper place to live. Cheaper for whom I don’t know.”

And Jim started to laugh.

“Anyway, I guess the girls have been hitting all of the thrift shops and antique shops in and around Columbus and Nancy wants to get a king sized box springs and mattress and some linens delivered to the place as soon as possible so they can leave the bed and breakfast they are staying in. Nancy said Liz found a bug in the telephone…Liz has a scrambler built into the buckle on her purse but she still wants to get out of there. I guess the real estate agent is the guy Liz had that blind date with back in high school…that’s another story altogether. I’ll tell you on our way to Columbus. Oh, and I think you should lose the badge and gun for the day, We don’t want to bring any more attention to Liz than we have to. Kyle was involved in that blind date fiasco as well…did you know that?”

“Hell no, what did he have to do with it?”

“Just wait till we’re on the road. You won’t believe it.”

Liz:

“Hey John. My mom bought a house here in Columbus and my dad is on his way with my old bedroom furniture as we speak. I need to fill you in on some stuff.”

I stepped out of Sears while my mom ordered a king sized box spring and mattress set and a humongous Jenn-aire refrigerator to be delivered as soon as possible. After she got that settled she was going to go get some sheets, pillows and blankets, towels... Looks like she’s moving.

“When my mom called dad the other night she heard a funny clicking on the phone so I unscrewed the receiver and there was a bug in it. I think the house once belonged to someone, shall we say, not so clean and I think it needs to be swept before we move in. We are both very careful about what we talk about to each other except when we’re outside but you never know…we can’t be on the look out constantly. So, let’s say, if the movers pulled in with the bikes and pulled them into the garage unseen and then started unloading computer equipment and supplies into the house they could do some checking right.”

“Right…she actually bought a house?”

“Yes she did, plenty of room to have Trevor and Joey, you and Jill and a few more move in for the summer if you wanted to.” And I giggled.

“And she wants the D.E.A. to rent this place for the duration of the operation?”

“I’m not so sure she cares John…she’s in love and not in the adulterous way. She took one look at this place from the outside and couldn’t wait to get in then she had me e-mail pictures to my dad. It took her ten minutes to buy it. It’s got 7 huge bedroom suites and the one off the master could be an eighth. There’s 8 full bathrooms and a half bath off the living area for guests. Wait until you see this place. This is why I think it’s gangster related. Have you found anything out about Doug Shellow yet?”

“Well, yes and no. He’s been on our radar for about three years but we don’t have anything that we can hold him on.”

“Okay, I will keep my eyes and ears open for anything that looks suspicious. And I know, don’t do anything but gather information. How are Trevor and Joey?”

I noticed a lady watching me using my cell phone so I immediately changed gears…

“They’re fine, can’t stop talking about how much fun they had. Their mom is making them write your folks thank you notes for the hospitality.”

“Ah, they don’t have to do that but mom will love it. Tell them and Jill that I said hi. I’ll probably be here until Friday. We’re still getting the lay of the land and mom is buying linens as we speak. I suppose I should go help her. I’ll call tomorrow and let you know how things are going. Take care John.”

And I signed off. The lady that was watching me was still looking at me strangely and I chose to ignore her…I finally figured it out…it was Vicky Delaney from High School. I don’t need to be running into any more people that I know in this strange little town. What the hell is this…a stomping ground for ex-Roswellians? Shit!

It was well after nine by the time dad and Jim arrived in Columbus and the first thing dad wanted to do was to go see what in the hell had cost him a half million dollars. Mom and I both laughed at him and Jim just shook his head after giving me a big hug hello. He looked strange in his baseball cap and tennis shoes and I told him so.

“Your dad made me travel incognito Liz…insisted it was best for you not to be seen with a sheriff.”

“Well, sheriff, after the last two days I’m not so sure it’s going to matter. I saw an old high school alumnus this afternoon while mom was shopping for sheets and towels. God dad, wait until you see the refrigerator, washer and dryer she bought. She also bought a bunch of small appliances too. My God she could open a Laundromat and the refrigerator looks as big as the one in the crash.”

Dad and Jim both laughed. Of course I’m used to the one in my apartment and it’s just big enough for the necessities of life for a week tops.

We headed out to the house, Doug had given mom the keys earlier in the day and dad and Jim unloaded my old bed and we chose a room to put it in. the appliances and other bed would be delivered tomorrow but Jim decided to sleep in the house tonight.

“Holy shit Nancy, couldn’t you find something bigger?”

Dad couldn’t believe the size of the place and I started to giggle and Jim out and out laughed.

“Nancy, I’m going to be here for every holiday during the year; you have enough room here to entertain half the town.”

“Now both of you behave…you know that’s not true, but you are welcome to come anytime you want to Jim and it doesn’t have to be a holiday. Would you like a cup of coffee. I have a nice new pot, had the utilities turned on today and bought some staples. I think I’ll put the Christmas tree over there.”

Dad choked, I giggled and Jim said,

“Coffee sounds good”

And mom was in seventh heaven…she got out the new cups and saucers some spoons and then filled the sugar bowl. She moved around that kitchen like she had lived there for years and Dad just sat there on the bar stool and smiled. He was as happy as mom.

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 12 6/21/11

Post by mary mary »

XAF RU208: Okay, you're speechless! Is it the house? Or is it the fact that Max and Liz are both going to be working out of Columbus? Either way I hope it's a FUN ride. :D
Carolyn: This house is the talk of the town actually...and everyone is shocked that Nancy bought it, everyone but Nancy of course. The woman knows what she wants that's for sure! :lol:
Eve: I don't think Nancy has really given any thought to who will be cleaning the place, she's just enjoying the fact that she owns right now. And I figure it like this, if they can afford to pay cash for a place like that, they can afford a cleaning crew once in awhile. She can do like my aunt did, close up the rooms not in use and clean them when you need them. :wink:
Ken: They did the same thing when I was in college. My business law instructor actually changed a couple of chapters every other year and you couldn't buy used books because they were out of date every two years. The only differences were a couple of references in a few chapters but enough to need a new text. So if you took his class during an odd year you couldn't sell your book back to the school book store.
Cardinal: You're certainly right about Nancy, Liz has an awful time holding her back and Valenti does okay living up to the agreement with the head of the DEA. :)

*~*~*

Chapter: 12

The next day mom drove me back to the airport and I headed on back to L.A where I met up with John and the others. I decided not to wait until Friday after all, I could just get myself down there and move in. Dave picked me up at the airport and I proceeded to tell him of my adventures with my mother and he really got a kick out of the story.

“She’s a nice lady Liz and you certainly won’t need much of a cover story now…since your parents intend to retire there. I can hardly wait to see the place. I’ll be one of the team who moves your equipment down for you…we also contacted KTM and they are awaiting your instructions for the bike you want. The office is buying you a new one and we will be mounting some special equipment on it. What do you think?”

“Well, that sounds okay but you don’t want to mount anything on the bike that’s for sure. The terrain I’ll be traveling will only bounce it off even if it’s welded on. Just tell me what you need and we’ll figure something out without making the bike look like something from outer space. I’ll talk to KTM…I’m sure they still have the specs from my last bike and then you’ll have to talk to dad about the rest after it’s delivered. I want a twin of what I already have. That bike fits my, “excuse me Dave” , but that bike fits my ass and that’s what makes it so special.”

“Okay Liz, I think I understand.”

“I hope so because if you guys don’t understand, the deal is off. I’m not going to jeopardize my life over a piece of equipment.”

“I understand.” I repeated myself. “`You can talk this over with John as soon as we get to your place. The entire team is waiting for you including the director of the D E A from D.C.”

“Wow, don’t I feel special.” And I gave Dave a grin. After the past week or two I’ve learned that these people need me more than I need them and it made me feel good. If I didn’t like the situation I could always walk away and take up real estate sales. Of course not every customer was like my mother.

All too soon we arrived at my apartment and sure enough there were five men sitting on the steps leading up to my second floor apartment. I wasn’t sure if my small dining and living area would hold all of them but we would make do. After John introduced me to James Jameson, his parents didn’t have much of an imagination I don’t think, I opened the door and they allowed me to walk in first. Big of them wasn’t it? Being the gentlemen they were and all. Anyway, between the couch, the love seat and 4 kitchen chairs I managed to seat all of them,

“Jimmy, that is what they call you right?” And James Jameson nodded his assent…

“Jimmy, the first order of business is this bike. If the bike is not right there is no deal. Clear?”

John, Dave and the rest of the team all looked at me with disbelief. They had no idea I would talk that way to the director of the D E A. Well, it’s my life that’s on the line here no matter how safe they think I’m going to be. I just decided that New Mexico is a small place…what are the odds of running into two people in two days that know who you are already.

“The second order of business is, that nothing is all that safe so here’s the deal. I haven’t had a lot of time to think about this but…and this is not up for negotiation, we use my bike. There’s no other like it. After KTM got finished with it my dad put the finishing touches on it. You five,” and I nodded to the team I had spent 5 days with last week, “know what I’m talking about. That bike is a part of me, I’m at home on that bike and I use it or you find someone else.”

“Well, if that’s what you want Liz, then that’s what you’ll get.”

“Good. Now, I don’t think Doug Shellow is on the up and up. There aren’t as many people on earth as spontaneous as my mother and the man is just too polished to be living it large in a place like Columbus, New Mexico.

Then there was Vicky Delaney outside of Sears while mom was shopping for linens. There was something about her that I wasn’t too comfortable with. Vicky was a real player in high school, she was nice enough but all the guys wanted a piece of her and I think a lot of them got it so what is she doing in a retirement community where the pickings are pretty slim. You need to keep a watch out for her too.

Another thing…I’m not stupid enough to think I’m the only agent working this area and I don’t want one single thing to do with this other person or persons, whatever the case may be, nor do I want them knowing who I am. All of my data will be fed directly to whomever will be handling my e-mail correspondence. Don’t even tell me who it is. I know the six men in this room and I don’t want to know any more. Are we in agreement?” I wait, they nod.

“I will do my part to make this task force a success. Whatever you choose to do with the information I feed you is your business. I am a forensic scientist, nothing more. I analyze information and perform tests. If you want me to gather information that’s fine, but while I’m gathering it I won’t be analyzing it. If this is not agreeable with you then I’m out of here, I won’t have the time to do a thorough analysis if I’m gathering the stuff.

My mom, bless her heart, has just provided me with the greatest cover possible by falling in love with a house so the decision is up to you guys. I can always go to work for the University at Las Cruces and Live in Columbus with an apartment in Las Cruces. It really isn’t that far so guys, as you can see, I’ve had some time to think this over. Now I’ll give you time to think over my terms…my mother and I will be staying in Columbus with or without the DEA so the ball is in your court so to speak. Coffee anyone?”

And I gave the six men a big smile and headed to the kitchen for a tray and some cups. I heard Mr. Jameson say as I walked out…

“Well John…you were certainly right. There’s absolutely nothing dumb about her and her analysis of a situation is spot on. If she thinks that her bike is the best for the job who are we to argue with her…we know absolutely nothing about those things and obviously she has an excellent handle on it. I just thought that new equipment would be better and we would prevent wear and tear on hers. I guess I was wrong. Does it have a GPS?”

John spoke up next…

“It has everything she needs to do the job and she’s an expert rider. Did you watch the video’s I sent you?”

“Yes, but they were taken years ago.”

Then Dave and Ben both interjected their thoughts…Ben said,

“And we spent the last four day week-end with her and her parents. Time has not impaired her ability in the least. Just ask John’s sons.”

“John’s sons?”

“Yes, she and her parents took them under their wings and taught them how to ride to the point where they are driving us nuts for motorcycles. They loved it and after the lessons they received from Jeff Parker I feel comfortable enough to be thinking about it.”

The guys couldn’t see me pumping air in the kitchen but I was so happy for Trevor and Joey…they were naturals…they would be so happy.

“Well, if you’re comfortable with this step of the program then I can’t see any reason to not go along with it. I think she’s right about not knowing who the other players are in the area. That way there’s less chance of anyone getting the other into trouble. Instead of covering with graduate studies I think we should get her hired on as an instructor at the University. She is a doctor of science already and it would be a much easier cover if she were to work, say four hours twice a week teaching rather than just riding the hills and desert plains eight hours a day. What do you think?”

“Well, she’s already told this Doug Shellow character that she’s going to be doing graduate work…maybe we could find a secondary degree she could work on.”

About that time I came in with the coffee and some cinnamon rolls that I took out of the freezer and popped into the microwave. I don’t do a whole lot of entertaining but I do like some pastries myself on occasion and keep things on hand.

“Well gentlemen…I see you’re trying to plan my life without my input. That’s another thing I won’t tolerate. You can ask me to do things pertaining to my position with the D E A that falls under my general job description but we all know these are special circumstances. I have already told Doug Shellow that I would be doing graduate study. Now if you want me to take a class at the university and you want me to pay for it then I get to choose what I study. If you want to pay for it then you can have some say on the subject but I get final approval. Is that agreed?”

John smiled at the director who looked a little taken aback. I guess he’s not used to having his employees dictate what will or won’t be taking place but this is my life that we’re putting on the line here. As safe as they think it might be it is still the Mexican cartel and they aren’t known for their kind regard when it comes to dealing with people who are trying to interfere with their livelihood.

“Well Liz…do you have any idea what you would like to study? Is it something that has anything to do with science?”

“Well, yes and no. I haven’t had the chance to catch up on the latest genetics breakthroughs and I think I would like a refresher course. I could probably take a course that would be either four hours, broken up into two days or four hours broken up into four days. I think the two day schedule would be the best since it would get me out of the house only two days a week and it is a 2 hour drive then that would give me more time for desert research and to send it off to the address you’ll provide me with and still give me time to do home work. What do you think?”

“I think we’re coming up with a plan. Now about this house we’re going to be renting. I hear your mother bought it, is that correct?”

And then I laughed…

“Yes, she did. And it is beautiful. She had Doug eating out of her hand and I can’t blame the man. He earned himself $90,000. in the hour it took him to show her this place.”

“Ninety thousand dollars??? My God, are you sure?”

“Yeah, dad settled on the price of 450 over the phone and 20% of 450 is 90 no matter how you cut it.”

“Wow…and your mother bought this thing without an inspection or anything?”

“Wait til you see it. I think it might have been mafia owned at one time. It’s beautiful and according to my mom, and this is a quote, “I’ve never asked your dad for one thing in my life and I want this house.” And dad said to go ahead and buy it if that’s what she wants. Of course, when dad told her to get what she wanted he thought it would be in Roswell and not Columbus but after he saw Columbus he was okay with it. I just don’t like what dad told me.”

“We didn’t hear this part…what did your dad tell you Liz.” John asked…

“I told him it was awfully big and he told me that I would just have to start having babies. I’m not so sure I like that attitude, even from my father and besides, just what in the hell will my babies be doing in his house?”

And all of the men laughed…I didn’t think it was a damned bit funny.

Anyway, after we settled the discussion about the bike and the course in genetics I would sign up for…no one had any doubt about me being accepted as a late entrant into the program at the university and I have no idea why any of them felt that but I went along with it… I sure as hell hope the DEA doesn’t step in and mess around trying to make this possible, I’m certainly capable of signing up for my own classes…so much for hiding in plain sight if they do that. I told the men that I needed to start packing my stuff and get ready to move to Columbus so they took the hint.

“You know what Jimmy?” I was asked to call him that, for whatever reason it was his idea not mine. “I think, rather than pay mom rent on her place, why not just pay the rent on this place for me. I’ll have the utilities turned off today and discontinue my cable and phone service and I should be ready to leave here by tomorrow afternoon. I’ll leave the key with John and he can come over and check on it occasionally if he wants to. It probably wouldn’t hurt since a lot of people know I live here. Oh, and if you people need some place for out of Towners just use it. I won’t be leaving anything personal.”

“Liz, that sounds like a great idea but what will your mom say?”

“I’ll just tell her that it was my idea…what’s she going to do? Spank me for being a ‘wheeler dealer’ like her. I’ll explain that I had a good teacher. Oh, and John, don’t forget to add Vicky Delaney to your list of people to check out. She just doesn’t fit the profile.” And the men smiled as they all took their leave.

I was really getting excited about the whole idea now, and that house…wow, mom and I are going to have a ball fixing that place up. We might need to take some interior decorating classes for this…to hell with genetics, maybe mom can take a class and we can ride together. That would work, I’ll talk to her when I get to Columbus. I’m sure she’s still there. And as I continued to pick up coffee cups and load the dishwasher the smile on my face grew broader by the minute. The first thing I needed to do was run over to the super-market and pick up a few boxes that would fit into my trunk. Maybe I’ll just run over to the discount store and buy some of those plastic storage things. That way, if I decide not to unpack everything I can just store the stuff without worrying about it. That sounds better. I really don’t have that much but there’s enough to take up some room. I definitely want my pictures and mementos. They have traveled everywhere with me. I must remember to call dad and tell him to be sure and bring my trophies in case I’m caught riding. That will be a good cover for the bike. Mom needs to bring hers too, maybe even dads. Oh, I have got to get my mind settled, it’s rambling again.

Doug:

“Jose’, did you remove the devices from the Parker car like I asked?”

“Yes Doug…why are we not investigating them again?”

“Because Mrs. Parker wants to live here…she bought “The White Elephant” and her daughter is going to be staying there while she does some courses at Las Cruces. I know the daughter, we had a date once many years ago.”

“Oh, so you’re interested in the daughter?”

“No, I’m not interested in the daughter. You know Vicky and I are seeing each other and she is an important part of this set up so don’t even go there. Just remove the devices from the house and the car as soon as you can… I don’t want them finding anything while they are cleaning and having inspections done to the place. I heard Mrs. Parker tell her daughter that they get royalties from Liz’s grandmother’s books. The grandmother was an archaeologist like me and I have read her work. The woman was a genius as is her granddaughter so go and find something that is more worthy of your time.”

“Si senor…but I think we should continue to listen for a while.”

“Jose, do you not listen to what you are told…they are harmless. I spent two days with these women, I repeat, they are harmless.”

“Alright Doug…I will listen. When do you think they will be back.”

“Mrs. Parker is still here and her husband and his ‘moving’ helper left this morning. The Sears truck has just arrived with more furniture but I think Mrs. Parker wants to find antiques for the house. She mentioned that she was just buying frames for beds and they moved Liz’s bedroom furniture in last night. I’ll stop over and see if I can help her with anything and take a look around and invite her to lunch. That will give you and your crew a chance to debug the place.”

“Okay, consider it done. You seem to be doing a lot of watching.”

“I do what I think is necessary to preserve our set up and I am right on this decision. I am sure Don Caevar (pronounced Kivar) will agree with me.”

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 13 6/22/11

Post by mary mary »

Eve: You really have to appreciate the beauty of the desert the same way you would a beautiful snow capped mountain or a field of poppies. Each has it's own beauty...I prefer mountains myself, I think it's because it's cooler up there! :D
XAF RU208: Jim keeps his oath to be silent...no worry. The meetings between Max and Liz are going to be a little fun I think? I hope so! :wink:
Natalie36: I'm so glad you like this Liz, she's a little different. She's been out on her own for quite some time now and has learned to be self sufficient? :wink:
Carolyn: Yeah, poor Doug is in for a big surprise I think. :roll:
Cardinal: I think Pandas2001 summed up Liz's talents pretty well. Appreciate that Liz was hired as a forensic scientist and is a damned good one...she's also an expert on that bike and if she chooses to she can work at Las Cruces U. and ride that desert anytime she wants to without her life being in jeopardy. Like she states or already has, I can't remember now, it's her life that's on the line and she really doesn't need this. She really isn't that easy to replace. :wink:
Pandas2001: Welcome and thank you for the fb. I hope to hear from you again. :)

*~*~*

Chapter: 13

Kyle:

“Tess, how late are you going to be today? Do you have to pull another double?”

“No Kyle, why? What’s up?”

“Oh nothing much really…Max, Michael and I were going to try to meet up mid-way and talk about planning a fishing trip before the season’s over. Maybe dad can come down and join us for a week-end. That’s all…and I don’t want to do it on a day when you’re going to be home because I want to spend those days with you.”

“Oh Kyle, that is so sweet but trust me…it’s okay to go meet up with the guys. As a matter of fact it will give me a chance to do a really good cleaning without you underfoot.”

“Tess Valenti, honest to God, sometime I feel like you don’t want me around you at all.”

My wife is laughing at me … out and out laughing at me.

“Kyle, that’s not the case at all but when you’re here you do tend to take up a lot of my time that I could spend doing something constructive rather than watching sports on TV because you want company. Now go, meet your friends and have some man fun for a change and I’ll do some woman things that make me feel good.”

“Well, okay then. Does Maria feel this way too?”

“Oh definitely Kyle, definitely. Now go.”

“Fine!” And I made my phone call to Michael who in turn said he would call Max.

We could meet up at Max’s place since there was nobody there to interfere with us and our flow charts. Max would contact Jimmy and I would also call my dad and have him join us. Unbeknownst to me dad was in on a whole lot more of this operation than I was aware of.

Max:

When I got Kyle’s call I was in the middle of telling Serena about the great week-end I had with the guys and their wives and she was filling me in on the great time she had as well. It was a nice morning break from the hum-drum office dribble that usually took up our time and then the phone rang. Serena gave me a knowing grin and headed out to the main office to deal with the usual personnel and I answered the private cell phone sitting on my desk. We were all issued these with a box of sim cards and were told to replace the sim cards weekly and destroy the old ones which I’m sure we all did.

“Hey, Kyle?”

“Yeah Max…Is tomorrow okay with you to get together with everyone. Dad can make it down by tonight as far as my place and we’ll drive in together tomorrow. I guess he was helping Jeff with a project earlier this week and he’s been leaving Hanson in charge quite a bit lately. You know Max, I can’t believe that man is as dumb as we think he is.”

I had to laugh…I knew Hanson wasn’t that dumb nor that ill mannered either. He was dumb like a fox.

“I don’t know Kyle, your dad would be a better judge of that than I would. I only know the man from our teen age years and he was always nice to me…even when I was getting Mike’s ass out of jams.”

Kyle laughed…

“Yeah, no one in their right mind would ever believe that Michael Guerin was the responsible citizen that he is today. But of course, being married to Maria would tend to make any man turn responsible. Someone has to be in that situation.”

“Shit Kyle…Maria’s okay. I think if she had to take responsibility she could do it in a minute…she just doesn’t have to so she can go around being ditzy as hell and Mike loves her for it. They’re a match made in heaven.”

“Yeah…I guess. Anyway, is tomorrow okay with you?”

“Yeah sure, I’ll be here. You guys just pop in when you get to town and we’ll head on over to my place. I already prepared Serena to be ready for me to take off so she’s got things lined out for me to take care of today and in the morning. I tell you Kyle, she’s a God send. Maybe we can find a cousin or someone like her for your office.”

“Yeah Max…good luck with that! See you tomorrow.”

“See ya Kyle. You know you could have called this in on the land line.”

“Yeah, but you might have ignored me on the land line. Talk to you tomorrow.”

“Whatever Kyle, goodbye.”

And we hung up. I have never, not once in my life ignored Kyle…not even after he got me drunk that first time so many years ago. God, that was the worst and the best night of my life. I wonder what she’s doing these days? I don’t think I’ll ever get over that girl… “the love of my life” that’s what she was…no she is. Everyone else pales in comparison. Damn, I’ve got to get my mind on something else.

Liz:

Well, I figured if I left L.A. around seven a.m. I would reach Columbus about 7:00 p.m. if I can manage to avoid heavy traffic and accidents. If I get too tired I will simply get a motel and call mom. This was going to be a great experience for the both of us. Mom went over to Las Cruces and registered for an interior decorating class and was so tickled she could hardly talk to me about it. She has an MBA in business, which not many people know about and when she married dad her parents wanted to literally wring her neck…but when I came along seven months later they seemed to calm down and accept the fact that mom and dad were a couple and mom was content with her lifestyle. I’m sure dad probably has felt some guilt through the years about taking mom out of the corporate league but mom doesn’t seem to be bothered by it at all. She has never told dad how to run the Crash that I’m aware of and she has always stood by him no matter what he wanted to do so I guess this house is dad’s way of saying thanks and I think he’s just as happy as mom is about it. God, she did make a deal on the place but who would want to live in Columbus? Well, some one wants to, that’s for sure and she’s doing everything she can to make it an enjoyable experience for all of us. I am so happy for her.

Who knows, maybe I will settle down there and start having babies? It could happen, right? Maybe I’ll find some old rich codger, ready to kick the bucket with lot’s of money and a lot of swimmers left…ewwwww!!! Now that’s just gross Liz Parker, just keep packing and think about something else.

I had myself laughing at myself as I continued to put things into the plastic containers that I had purchased. My car is going to look like a gypsy wagon by the time I’m finished but I’m not leaving anything here that is me. The place will be void of all that is Liz Parker. That way, if I don’t come back the DEA can have it. They’ll be paying the rent on the place anyway. I even bought one of those cheap Styrofoam coolers to put the refrigerator stuff in and packed myself some sandwiches, using up the rest of the bread. This is almost like saying goodbye to a part of my life but I’m so looking forward to the beginning of the one I’m headed to. It’s going to be so nice living with mom and sometimes dad. The only thing left that is actually mine is the furniture but I can take care of that if I decide not to return…I can sell it to the next tenant for a reasonable price. The stuff is only a year old and with that thought I decided to take an inventory and put it on my computer. I can dig out the invoices later and run a depreciation schedule on the stuff to give me some idea of what it’s all worth. It’s not a big deal but sometime we have more than we realize.

This is going to be a great adventure and I finally finished up and went to bed.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 14 6/23/11

Post by mary mary »

moomin: So nice to hear from you and I'm am flattered that you think enough of one of my fics to go back and read it. That's a great compliment actually. So far I haven't mentioned what happened between Max and Liz and I'm pretty sure that the real reason doesn't rear it's ugly head until the end of the story. I guess Liz is hiding from the truth so to speak but the reason is made quite clear. :)
Eve:Yes, they are still pining for each other and I went and googled Columbus again just to take a look and you're right. It looks quite sparse doesn't it? When I first chose it I found a great web site and I can't relocate for the life of me so we'll just have to pretend that it's beautiful, okay? :D
Carolyn: I've answered some of your questions in the others acknowledgments but as for Nancy? Well I always felt that enough attention wasn't given to her character. Amy and Diane had some nice scenes in the show but Liz's mom kind of got the shaft as far as I was concerned so I gave her a major motherly role in this story. :)
XAF RU208: Oh I'll bet he's got some great "swimmers" too. That lucky Liz!!! :oops:
Cardinal: You just might be right! :) Oh and watch for your suggestion. :D

*~*~*

Chapter: 14

Liz:

The next morning I found myself right in the thick of the L.A. traffic but moving along at a nice steady 70 mph and staying over in the farthest left hand lane that I could stay in without being in the diamond lane and was listening to the L.A. morning news. The smog laid it’s gray haze over the city making it smell like the place was on fire and I couldn’t wait to get out of it. I took this job in L A because I thought it would be glamorous…the most glamor I ever saw was an occasional bill board advertising a new beer with a sequin gowned blond wannabe smiling down at me from 50 feet up in the air.

About an hour later traffic started to thin out and I was on my way. I could hardly wait to see my mom again. I had no idea just how lonesome I had been until a couple of weeks ago when we had that time together in the desert. That was wonderful. I wonder if she found any furniture yet. I tried to talk her into a laptop when we were in Sears but she looked at me like I had a hole in my head. When I get to Columbus I will sit down and introduce her to Craig’s list. I’ll bet she buys one then.

Max:

Well…I can hear familiar voices out in the main office and soon Serena had me on the intercom telling me that three unsavory looking characters were standing out there looking pretty pitiful. She had met Kyle and Michael before and the teasing that Kyle had put her through made her accept the two of them like family immediately and I could tell from the banter going back and forth that she was giving as good as she got. I made my way to the door and greeted my three old friends with a manly hug and handshake and made sure that Serena met Jim before we left the office. She had a tough time believing that Jim was Kyle’s dad and said so. She didn’t think a gentleman like that would lay claim to anyone like Kyle. That brought a twinkle to Jim’s eyes and he actually laughed at her. It was so good to see them, even if it was for a business meeting so to speak.

“Serena, I’m going to take off for an early lunch and see if these ‘fellows’ would like something to eat as well. I’ll leave my cell on in case I’m needed.”

“I’m sure we’ll be fine Max. Enjoy your company.”

And we exited the building and climbed into Mike’s SUV. Jim and I sitting in the back seat catching up and Michael and Kyle carrying on as usual. I pointed out some points of interest as we drove along and then said,

“Hey Mike Head south on 25 toward the border. It’ll take us to a little town called Columbus. I think you guys will like it. They have a great bed and breakfast there that serves some of the best home cooked meals you’ll ever taste while away from home.”

And Mike turned so. on 25 as we left Deming and I noticed that Jim got a strange look on his face. What’s that all about?”

Jim:

Shit…I hope we don’t run into a couple of ladies that we know while we’re down here. It could prove very interesting and I know damn well that Liz will have us figured out in a split second. It doesn’t take that girl long to diagnose anything. The DEA is very lucky to have her that’s for sure. I wonder if Kyle is the reason they broke up. Nancy told us about the blind date fiasco after Jeff informed me about Kyle getting Max drunk. Damned kids. Oh well, they turned out to be good men in spite of their antics.

Liz:

Well what do you know…there’s Dave and Ben in the truck next to me, I wonder if they’re headed to Columbus too. I picked up my cell and pushed number 3 on speed dial and saw Dave reach for the dash board and the next thing I heard was ‘hello’ over the sound of tires.

“Hey Dave. You’re out early. Where ya’ headed?”

“Liz?”

“Yeah, look to your left.”

And when he did I smiled and waved.

“well, I could say the same to you. What’s up?”

“You want to stop for some coffee as soon as the traffic has come to it’s mid morning lull?”

“Yeah, sure. Denny’s okay?”

“Denny’s is fine. I’ll follow behind you. About another hour okay?”

“Another hour is good.”

And so we pulled off the freeway about 10:00 a.m. and into the well marked Denny’s parking lot.

“Hey little girl. Headed somewhere we know about?”

“You bet…how about you?”

“Yep. We’ve got your stuff all loaded up and ready for installation. John talked to your mom and she said your bedroom is all laid out and ready for you and that you can have the smaller bedroom off the master for your office. Since we haven’t seen the place we can only assume that it’s big enough for everything.”

And the beautiful blond man with the perfect teeth and big abs gave me a killer smile. Too damned bad he’s gay is the only thing running through my mind right now. What a waste! But he still isn’t Max. I sure wish mom hadn’t brought that subject up…that was a bad time for me and it’s still hard to think about.

“Oh trust me Dave. It’s big enough and if you don’t have everything I need there’s an office supply store there as well as some of the usual department stores. Does mom know you’re coming?”

“Yes. We talked to her yesterday and she said she would have two spare rooms set up for us. She said she bought king sized beds for three of the bedrooms and she wasn’t quite sure what she wanted to do with the other three, possibly four bedrooms yet. Just how big is this place Liz?”

“Oh my God…wait until you see it. You aren’t going to believe what this woman bought for her retirement years. It has 8 bedrooms total with the possibility of an ninth right off the master suite which can be used for an office, or a nursery and maybe even a den. It’s insane and my dad loves it. My grandmother was an archaeologist and wrote several books on the subject but her last one seems to be one of the required books at university level and mom said the royalties on the thing have been enough for her and dad to have retired years ago but dad isn’t ready to give up his little diner yet. I think he likes visiting with all the people everyday. I grew up living in an apartment over the diner if you can believe it and mom and dad still live there and now mom turns around and falls in love with this place. It’s actually a hacienda and is very pretty along with being very large. It sits on a lot of acreage and backs up to the desert. I think John may have suggested that they make another garage door leading out the back of the garage to the desert but I’m not so sure he convinced her yet. I don’t think mom would go for that anyway but you never know. It seems she and John have been doing a lot of talking lately. Can you believe it?”

“Yes I can. Your parents are what my grandma would have called “old shoe” friends. They just fit like an old pair of shoes. We all liked them. Now we see where you get your spunk from along with your integrity. It’s refreshing Liz.”

“Well thank you. Do you guys plan on stopping anywhere tonight?”

“No, our plan is to drive straight through. How about you?”

“I was going to wait and see how traffic was and so far it seems to be going quite smoothly. As long as there aren’t any long delays I’ll be driving straight through as well. I can take the lead once we get to Columbus and lead you right to the house. I hope you brought your appetites because I know mom will want to feed you both. It’s a long drive but not so boring if you like pretty scenery. Make sure to plan on stopping for coffee or a potty break at sunset. You’re not going to want to miss it. I’ll be keeping my cell handy so we can talk back and forth. I think we should get back on the road. We’ve got three hours under our belt and that leaves seven to go…just don’t get all stove up and not be able to move around tomorrow. You’ve got a lot of crawling around to do.”

“We won’t Liz and you stay stretched out too.” And they both laughed as we left Denny’s and headed back out on the road.

Jim:

As we headed into the bed and breakfast I noticed Doug’s SUV parked in the parking lot and I grabbed Max and Kyle’s arms and whistled for Michael to follow me back to his rig.

“We can’t go in there right now guys. We can either drive around and have a look at the town or we can go somewhere else but we can’t go in there.”

“Why not Jim?”

“Well, there’s a guy in there that I know and I also know the DEA is looking into his activities. Don’t ask me to explain just know that we can’t be seen together in this town. Now let’s go someplace else. Come on Max…I should have said something when you suggested this but I never dreamed we would run into him.”

“Well okay, if you say so. Who is this guy anyway?” Max asked. I didn’t know whether to tell him or not but then I realized that his life was on the line just like the rest of us…

“Doug Shellow.”

“Doug Shellow…DOUG SHALLOW? Come on, you’re shittin’ me Jim. Not Doug Shellow from Las Cruces U.”

“The very same.”

“Hey Max, isn’t he the guy that had that blind date with Liz when we…oh shit…when we were kids?”

“Yes Kyle, the very same. The one that took Liz out and you got Max drunk. I heard all about it.” Jim said.

“Well why didn’t you say something before this?” Kyle blurted out and Michael started to laugh.

“It’s not funny Michael.” I butted in…it still pissed me off to think about it.

“It’s okay boys, it happened a long time ago…now let’s get the hell out of here.”

“Okay, but I thought he was studying archaeology or some damned thing…what’s he doing here in Columbus?’

“A lot of people are asking the same question and the answers they’re coming up with aren’t too respectable. It seems that Vicky Delaney is here also Kyle. Didn’t you see her a couple of times?”

“Yeah…a couple.” and Kyle’s ears got beet red…I pointed it out to Jim and he just grinned. “We’ll keep that away from Tess I think.” Jim whispered and I looked at him and returned his grin. Some things were best left unsaid.

As we pulled out of the driveway I could have sworn that I saw Nancy Parker come out of the restaurant and behind her was that asshole. No, it can’t be…there’s no way, and I turned and kept my eye on Mike to make sure we headed in the right direction.

Nancy:

“Doug, thank you so much for the lovely lunch. You really didn’t have to do that. I have so much to do before Liz gets here tonight and the movers are bringing some of her stuff and they should be here tonight as well. I’m going to put them up at the house…oh this is so much fun.”

I practically squealed like a teen-ager and I thought Doug would choke trying to hold back his laughter.

“Nancy, I can’t ever remember selling a place that made someone as happy as this place is making you. Have you had any luck with your antique hunting?”

“No. As a matter of fact I haven’t. Liz tried to convince me to buy myself a laptop computer the other day when we were in Sears. She mentioned something about a “Craig’s List” and she insisted that I would love it if I gave it a try but I’m not so sure I want to do that.”

“Oh, trust me Nancy. You definitely would love it and you can find just about anything you’re looking for on that Craig’s list. Of course the stuff is from all over the place and you might have to pay shipping but if it’s what you want I don’t see where that would be a problem. Besides, you can correspond with all of your friends and get instant replies rather than waiting on the mail man. Not only that, you can send pictures back and forth just like Liz did the other day over your phone. As a matter of fact, your phone is a mini computer. Imagine being able to see everything a full page wide and tall. That in itself is a plus. You should think about it.”

“I will Doug, but don’t tell Liz you’re the one that convinced me. She might get peeved at me for not listening to her.”

Doug laughed at me then, and said…

“I wouldn’t dream of it Nancy. Now, is there anything else you would like to do before we head back to your place?”

“Oh my no…I’ve been gone too long as it is. I really do need to finish up with my chores. Then I’ll head on over to the market and get in some more fresh vegetables and fruits. I think that’s all Liz lives on sometime. That and chocolate. She does love her chocolates and vanilla ice cream.”

“Well fine then. I hope we can do this again sometime. It was really nice and I am so glad that you are enjoying the house.”

“Oh I am Doug. I still haven’t made it out to the pool house yet. You would think that I would want to know every inch of the place but it just seems like there’s so much to do and I am enjoying it so much. Liz teased me about the refrigerator that I bought…she said it’s big enough for the Crash Down. Maybe she’s right but I have visions of lots of grandchildren being there someday…don’t tell her I told you that, she’ll probably just get mad at me.”

“I won’t breathe a word of it Nancy. You enjoy yourself there’s not enough joy in the world anymore and as you told Liz, you’ve waited twenty eight years…it’s time.”

“Yes it is Doug. And thank you again.”

By that time we were home and I let myself out of the car and told Doug that it was not necessary for him to see me to the door. I really didn’t want to go out this morning but he was so insistent. I’m sure there was an ulterior motive but the DEA will be here this evening and check the place for bugs so I won’t worry about anything. I was told to act natural and that is what I’m doing. This is kind of fun in a sinister way and I AM enjoying my new home. I know Jeff doesn’t want to retire yet but we will have this when he’s ready and maybe Liz will live here and we can have the guest house if I ever get out there and see what it’s like. That would be fun too. I won’t tell Liz that I’m planning her life though…I never would have appreciated my mother planning mine but it does sound like fun. I think Liz likes it here too.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 15 6/23/11pm

Post by mary mary »

Lizza, if you're reading honey "Happy Birthday" :D

Eve:I'm not sure I made the reason for Doug taking Nancy to lunch very clear...he wanted his cohorts to debug the place before Liz actually moved in. Maybe I tell about it later but it's no surprise that the DEA is going to check for bugs anyway...although Doug doesn't know that.
Natalie 36: I think, keeping Liz and Max's presence in the area is really going to be a challenge for John and Jimmy.
Carolyn: It's certainly starting to look that way.
XAF RU208: Yep...this Nancy is a real hoot that's for sure. she's the friend Liz missed out on growing up.
Cardinal: I just think you might be right!

*~*~*

Chapter: 15

Liz:

Dave, Ben and I arrived in Columbus right at 9:00 p.m. We made excellent time considering we stopped a few times for potty breaks and some food and to say that the men were impressed was an understatement. When Ben got out of the car his first words were…

“I wonder what drug lord lived here?” and I started to giggle.

“I thought the same thing Ben. It is big isn’t it. Wait until you get inside. The outside has nothing on the inside of this place. It’s positively breath taking and my mother is in seventh heaven. Honest to God…she had me e-mail my dad pictures and the deal was done over the phone. I swear, she didn’t get any farther than the great room and she had her mind made up. Dad never stood a chance. I think she would have divorced him rather than give it up.”

Dave and Ben both laughed as we entered the living room and then the two men just stood and looked at each other.

“Liz, we had no idea your family was this wealthy.” And I out and out belly laughed at them…

“Not hardly guys. My grandmother’s royalties paid for this place and as for wealth, well, to coin a phrase, dad talked a good deal.”

“It must have been one helluva big deal!”

“It was…he paid 450 thousand for it…and the reason it was so cheap was because no one wanted the place. No one but mom that is. I think Doug brought us here as a joke and the joke was on him because mom fell in love with it. Dad told me I had to start having babies so we could fill it up. I’ve got news for him…there are no babies in my future. Not for a long, long time.” And both men looked at me and grinned.

“You just haven’t met the right man Liz. When that happens you’ll be wanting the little munchkins as fast as you can turn them out.” Ben informed me.

“Well Mr. Benjamin…maybe I already left that particular person slip away and I can’t imagine finding a replacement anytime soon.”

That shut both of them up but mom came around the corner about that time and I noticed she had a twinkle in her eye. She overheard the conversation, I could tell, and she wasn’t going to let this one rest. No way. I knew my mother too well.

“Ben, Dave welcome to our new home. It’s a little sparse right now but I intend to have the home I’ve always wanted and you guys are always welcome. Come in and have a seat, I have a big pot of chili on the stove keeping warm so let me take your things and you can just make yourselves at home.”

Dave gave me a knowing wink…I told him that mom would have something on the stove for us and not to overeat on the way, I was right.

“So, did you guys have a good trip. I hope it was uneventful, I didn’t know you would be traveling together.”

“Oh, we didn’t plan on traveling together Mrs. Parker…Liz spotted us on the highway and we used our cell phones to keep in contact. It worked out quite well I think. She wouldn’t let us have any dinner because she said you would want to feed us and I guess she knows you better than we do. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. I have your rooms all set up and Liz, I had lunch with Doug this afternoon and he informed me that I really do need to get a computer so when you have time maybe we should go shopping.”

“Jeeeeeeze mom!!! I told you the other day you needed one and you wouldn’t listen to me. What the hell has Doug got that I don’t?” I looked at Dave and Ben and said... “Don’t Answer That!” They both laughed at that remark.

“I told him you would be mad if he mentioned it to you, I’m glad I did. It was worth it to see your face. No, it had nothing to do with our conversation, it was what he was telling me about this Craig’s list you mentioned and then he said I could keep in touch with my friends daily without waiting for the mail and he’s right. We use the office computer to talk to you but if I have my own I can keep up with the local gossip without waiting for letters to come that people don’t have time to write.”

“So, Doug carries more weight around here than I do?” I couldn’t help but rub it in.

“So Liz, just who is this Doug anyway?” Dave wanted to know.

“Oh it’s a long story Dave but the short end of it is that, he’s the agent that sold mom the house. We were going to look for a small two bedroom rental and mom asked to see some real estate that was for sale so here we are. It’s the first place he brought us to and dad took a look over her cell phone if you can believe it and they bought it. Dad and Jim brought my bedroom, complete without the carpet and walls, the other day. Everything I ever collected in my whole life is sitting back there in the far bedroom. I’ll go through it one of these days and figure out what to throw away and what to keep. In the meantime, it’s just taking up space.”

“Speaking of taking up space…where do we put the boxes that are out in the truck?”

I had to grin when they brought that up. If they think this room is impressive just wait til they get a load of what’s back here.

“Oh, come with me and see my new bedroom. You aren’t going to believe this place…my apartment would fit in here six times and my bedroom in Roswell, well let’s just say that one of the closets is bigger than that room. Come with me.”

And we headed back to the master suite. I pointed out the small room sitting off to the left as we headed down the hall. When I walked into the master bedroom I found this huge California king sized bed sitting in there all made up with matching drapes and sheers and the towels off in the bathroom all matched…it truly was impressive and there, in a tiny little corner all by itself was my old dresser. Talk about looking like a Bandaid on an elephants ass…I started laughing when I saw it. It truly was a pitiful looking sight sitting over there looking like a saved refugee, how sad! Mom followed my eyes and started to snicker.

“Liz, do you think this place is too pretentious?”

“Pretentious? God no mom, what ever gave you that idea. I’m sure the queen mum would be pleased as punch with your choice of abode.”

Dave and Ben both started to laugh at us as they walked over to the bathroom to have a look. Marble, marble everywhere. They both shook their heads and then Ben told mom that he thought I just might be right. The queen mum would be very pleased and mom started to laugh as well.

“Just you wait…when this place gets filled up with grandchildren it’s not going to look so big.”

I stood there with my mouth hanging open for a second, just getting my second wind and then I told my mother in no uncertain terms…

“I don’t know where you intend finding all of these grandchildren mom. Are you planning on adopting some kids that will start procreating and giving you the grandchildren you’re looking for?”

“Now just don’t go getting your panties in a wad Elizabeth Claudia Parker…you are very young and once you start having children I’m certain that you will not stop at one. It just isn’t in your nature…you’re overkill on everything so I can just envision many, many grandchildren.”

“We’ll see. Hey guys, did you want to put that stuff up tonight. It’s getting awfully late.”

“No, we just wondered where we should put it until tomorrow. I’m not so sure we want all of that equipment sitting out there in the driveway overnight.”

“Well, okay then. I’ll help you, that way it won’t take you so long or would you rather I help you with the dishes mom?”

“No sweetie, you help Dave and Ben. There isn’t that much to do and by the time you have everything in I’ll have it all finished. I did buy TV’s for all of the rooms. Sears gave me a nice discount when they found out I bought this place, I think they’re hoping to sell me lots and lots of stuff!”

“I’ll just bet they are. Before you go buying stuff though I really think we need to get out there in that guest house and see what’s going on.”

“You mean there’s a guest house besides this place? Whoever lived here must have had one helluva bunch of kids.”

“Well, if you want to know the truth, we all think it was mafia related. These places don’t just happen in the boonies and Columbus is a retirement town. Not a lot of industry to speak of so whoever lived here had to have something going on besides retirement. No one in their right mind would retire to a place this big.” And then I had to catch myself…my mother was looking at me like I’d just said a very bad word.

“Liz? Are you insinuating that I am out of my mind?”

“Well mom, when it comes to this place maybe. Good God, who’s going to clean this?”

“Well, you are sweetie…you’re the one that’s going to be living here.”

“Not alone I’m not! Remember, you’re signing up for some classes too.”

“Yes I am, but only on Monday and Tuesday mornings and they are interior decorating classes. Sandbox stuff.”

“Yeah, it’s been my experience that there’s no such thing as sand box stuff in college so be prepared to work your ass off mom. How did you manage to get signed up without taking tests…you’ve been out of school for an awfully long time?”

“They looked up my transcripts from Texas Christian and were tickled pink to get me just like they were when I signed you up and they got your transcripts from Harvard. We were shoe-ins honey. I’m sure they realize that we’re taking these for fun but what the hell, why not?”

“What do you mean you signed me up? I wanted to choose my own classes.”

“Ah, come on Liz…we’ll have fun together. Just think, you can help me decorate this white elephant.”

“Hell mom, why not? Sounds like fun!” I answered sarcastically, I’m just not sure about wasting my time going to school to study interior decorating. I need a bed and a refrigerator…a couch and a TV, but they aren’t a necessity…what the hell?

And Dave and Ben just sat there listening to the two of us banter back and forth like it was some kind of a TV sitcom.

After mom got me convinced I was going to have fun my two co-workers and I headed out to the truck and started hauling boxes in. It was decided that they would take the empty boxes back to L.A. with them rather than putting them in the trash around Columbus. The stuff was pretty high tech even for the impressive Hacienda so we felt better about disposing of the boxes at headquarters. I felt it was a good move on Ben’s part to think of it. I’m not so sure I would have but I was on the road an awfully long time today so I wasn’t expecting any miracles from my brain so to speak.

After we got everything in the small, about 12 X 18, room Dave and Ben said they were ready for a shower and bed as were mom and I so we all headed to our respective rooms. I tried to talk mom into the big room and she wouldn’t hear of it. She said she’d been sleeping on the other side of the house since dad and Jim left and she liked it there…this one was too lonesome without dad and then I understood…too much room alone after sleeping with him for so many years. I just smiled and hugged her goodnight…I understood perfectly.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 15 6/23/11pm

Post by mary mary »

XAF RU208: She is getting a little pushy isn't she? :lol: I don't think Liz minds... :)
Eve: Yes, if it was built by a drug lord there should be many surprises awaiting our new tenants. :wink: Ken Left you a message...be sure to read it. :)
Carolyn: Well, since the town is a retirement community and sits right on the border of Mexico I'll just bet there's a whole lot of talking going on. Not much else to do in a retirement community. Yes, Liz and Nancy are very close, each accepting their roles one as mother and one as daughter but friends as well.
Cardinal: Nancy enrolled them tentatively over the internet. They will have a lot of paper work to cover their first day and I do mention that, I think...Maybe there's not a lot of interior decorating students registered and the class was wide open? :P

*~*~*

Chapter:16

Liz:

Wow, now that’s what I call a good night’s sleep, no traffic sounds, car doors slamming, next door showers running…My God, what time is it anyway? I roll over and look for my clock and don’t find one and then it dawns on me, this isn’t my apartment. I crawl out of bed, not even thinking twice about where I am and head out to the kitchen scratching my head with one hand and opening the refrigerator with the other when I hear my mothers gasp behind me. I turn and look at her wondering “what the hell?”

and then I hear her, she’s yelling at me like I was six years old…

“Elizabeth PARKER!!! WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?” I turn and look at her with a dumb expression on my face I guess and she points at me.

I look down at myself and then back up at her and hold out both arms, palms up, and shrug my shoulders…

“What?” I ask, bewildered as hell…she’s seen me like this before. I’ve got on a pair of boy shorts and a tank top…I’m covered!

And then I hear a couple of snickers behind me and I turn around to see Dave and Ben looking at me like I’m their next meal, well Ben anyway.

Dave looks at Ben and grins…

“It’s enough to make a man go straight.” He says while chuckling at my mother who is beet red by this time.

I guess I’ve hung out with Maria too many years to be too embarrassed by all of this, I shrug, turn around, and head back to my room shaking my head. I show up a few minutes later with a pair of sweats and a t-shirt on and my mother just stands there staring at me.

I feel sorry for her…what can I say…

“Sorry mom…I’ll try to behave tomorrow.” And I pour myself a cup of coffee.

Dave and Ben both give me a thumbs up and I was nice…I didn’t give them the high sign…mom was there after all.

Max:

Jim and Kyle Valenti are sitting and waiting for Me to read all of my URGENT messages according to Serena before heading out to meet Michael for a breakfast meeting. Kyle explained to Jim that Serena actually runs the place and I am just a figurehead, Jim laughed. That’s how any good office is run according to Jim and Kyle just nodded his head in agreement. They really don’t want to piss off Serena…they probably wouldn’t make it out of the county without some sort of a citation. She would see to it.

Finally I had finished all of my “urgent” chores and some of the not so urgent ones and was able to leave for a while.

“When will you be back Captain?” Serena asked and I gave her a genuine smile and told her that I wasn’t sure but probably sometime around lunch and if she needed extra help to round up one of the girls from another office. She smiled and said ok and was happy once again.

“Max, I don’t want to stick my nose in where it doesn’t belong but…”

“Don’t even go there Jim. She’s a jewel and I wouldn’t trade her for a dozen other assistants. She makes sure everything is done in a timely manner and if that means she even has to step on the governor’s toes to do it she will.” And I had to chuckle at Jim’s expression.

“You need to stick around a couple of days. You’ll see what I mean. If I need to do something right away I’ll have a sticky note on my door, if it’s an urgent phone call there’s a sticky note on my phone and if she really wants to get me to do something she’s got sticky notes on my computer, my chair, and in the middle of my desk. I haven’t found anything on the toilet seat yet but I wouldn’t put it past her. She works hard and she gets the job done.” And I had to laugh at Jim…

“Well, it’s a good thing you’re young. She’d drive me nuts.”

“Not really Jim, if nothing is going on you don’t even know the girl is around. I’m going to be sorry to see her leave when she gets her degree. It’s going to be hell without her.”

“Well, let’s hope she likes her job well enough to hang in there with you forever Max. It’s great when two people can work that well together.”

“Yes it is … I’m very lucky. Where is Michael meeting us anyway?”

“Well, he said there’s a little café on the other side of town that he spotted last night so we’re heading on over there. Sorry I didn’t mention anything about Columbus the other day, but I never dreamed we’d run into anyone we knew.”

“It’s a damned small world sometime…you know, when you spotted Shellow I could have sworn I saw Nancy Parker with him. Was that her?”

“Ah, come on Max. You know I can’t discuss any of this with you. Yeah, we’re on the same team but the less we know about the other players the safer we’re all going to be.”

“Interesting, then it was her. What in the hell is she doing in Columbus?”
And then Jim felt he really should fill Max in on who was going to be doing what with the DEA and then again decided not to. He would fill Jameson in on what had happened and let him tell Max if he wanted to but he wouldn’t break the code he signed on for. Not even by telling Max that Nancy bought a house in Columbus.
This was really getting interesting, although the purchase of the house didn’t have anything to do with the task force the reason for being in Columbus did.

Liz:

After breakfast Dave and Ben started to unload boxes, and bless their hearts they put the empty boxes back into the unmarked panel truck before they even started to set up the equipment. I helped mom clean up the kitchen and then she headed in her direction and I went into “my” room and shut the door. I took my shower and put a pair of knee length walking shorts and a cotton blouse on with a pair of thongs and cleaned up the bathroom a little. I don’t know why I felt like I had to keep the thing in pristine order…it was just a bathroom after all but I felt I had to clean the sink, toilet and shower before I left it and then I straightened up the bedroom and unpacked some clothes. After I was satisfied that I left the place neat and tidy I looked in on my team mates and they were as busy as little beavers. I grabbed my cell phone and snapped a picture for John and e-mailed it off to him. The two men turned and looked at me, not realizing what I had done, and gave me a thumbs up.

It would probably take them most of the day to get me up and running so I decided to go out and see if mom wanted to go through the guest house but she was no where to be found. I headed out the back door where she was doing something to the swimming pool and talking to some man.

“Hey mom…what’s up?”

“Oh Liz honey, this is George’, pronounced hore-hay…I think I’ll call him George, two soft g’s.

“Hey George, nice to meet you.” “hore-hey” smiled…gorgeous, yummy smile.

“Hore-hay, this is my daughter Liz. She’ll be here all of the time. And I returned that gorgeous (using one hard and one soft g) smile and was so glad I had combed my hair and not just pulled it out of my face.

“Hore-hay is showing me how to check the PH in the pool Liz, you might want to listen in.”

“Sure mom…” And then I got into some really deep discussion with George (with the two soft g’s) about PH and he just stood there and shook his head. Mom looked at me and finally called me a show off and went on about her business.

After George left I suggested we look in the guest house and produced a set of keys I found hanging on a hook in the pantry. Mom shook her head yes and we both headed there on a dead run. I beat…so I got the honors of opening the door and when we walked in we stood there in shock. Furniture ladies and gentleman, furniture stacked everywhere. Couches covered in professional covers, tables stacked on each other and covered, chairs stacked on tables. Bedroom furniture everywhere. It was unbelievable and the guest house was also unbelievable. We were standing in a huge great room that was almost as big as the one in the hacienda…upon further inspection we found a huge bedroom suite on either side of the great room and also a guest bathroom off the entry just like in the hacienda. It was beautiful.

“Before you go to any more antique shops mom I think you should really take time to check this stuff out. I think they may have removed the furniture from the main house to show it… and mom, this stuff looks really nice.” Oh it was more than nice.

“God Liz, there’s a fortune in furniture in this place and I love it. I can’t wait until your dad gets here today with the bikes. Maybe after Ben and Dave get finished setting up the computers and everything they can help your dad move some of this into the house. What do you think?”

“What do I think? I think we need to take a trip into town and rent us one of those steam cleaners is what I think and we should get busy cleaning windows,floors and carpets.”

“You’re right. Let’s do that right now and then tomorrow we can start arranging stuff. Oh this is so exciting. We can have your dad haul your bedroom stuff back to Roswell when he leaves in the morning.”

“Oh mom, dad’s going to love that idea…so is Jim because you know he’s going to ask him to help him.” Sounding just a tad sarcastic.

“Oh I know honey, but it’s worth it, just look at this stuff.”

And so mom and I told Dave and Ben where we were headed and to not worry about lunch. We would either bring something back with us or we would make something when we got back. They didn’t seem to care one way or the other and we were gone that fast.

When dad showed up later that afternoon with the bikes we helped him unload them and put them in the garage and then we took him to the guest house. Dad was in as much shock as we were earlier this morning and by that time Ben and Dave were in on the display and couldn’t believe what we had discovered. They were more than glad to help us move the stuff. Mom and I had made short work of the floors and carpets earlier…it’s so much faster to clean an empty room.... I did the windows while mom did the floors and we took one section of the house at a time and were done in nothing flat. Mom decided she needed to buy one of those steam cleaners and I have to admit, it was nice.

Everyone had worked like beavers today and it was finally time to relax. All of the men were leaving early and so after dinner we all went over to the local ice cream parlor and had some desert and decided to rent a movie and have some entertainment for a change. It was nice and before I went to bed mom made me promise to put some clothes on before coming to the kitchen. I told her I would try to remember and Dave and Ben asked her “why?”. Everyone but mom got a kick out of that.

I had also purchased a couple of alarm clocks while we were out just in case our cell phones decided to die on us and I gave one to everyone before we retired…it never hurts to have a back up.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 17 6/26/11

Post by mary mary »

Cardinal: Put your tongue back in your head!!! :lol: No, Nancy didn't even see Max, he was in the back seat of Michael's car. As for the bugs, Doug's people debugged the place while he had Nancy out to lunch...but I'm sure the guys from the DEA thoroughly checked everything as well. :wink:
XAF RU208: I think Cardinal is still drooling...if you've seen "6 Degrees" I can see why! :roll: As for the furniture...I'd be doing a jig all over town if I'd gotten that lucky so I'm sure Jeff is dancing as well. :)
Eve: You know, Liz taking the guest house never occurred to me..that's sounds really cool but the pages have been written. :( As for the houses, as a rule they don't come furnished, this was a fluke.
Lizza: So nice to see you again...hope you had a great birthday. :D

*~*~*

Okay, what you've all been waiting for! Liz and Max meet, sort of! :D

Chapter: 17

Liz:

Well, we managed to see everyone off right at 7:00 a.m. like they wanted and I’m sure Dave and Ben will be glad to get back to L.A., and…. I managed to show up in the kitchen with my clothes on this morning which I’m sure made my mother feel better. Dad seemed sorry to be leaving us but promised to be back on Saturday afternoon. He has promoted Jose’ to assistant manager and gave him some more duties which will allow dad some time off here and there now that mom will be coming down every Sunday to attend school. She only needs to be here two days a week but I think she’ll stretch it out to make sure I’m taking care of the house the way she wants it done. Not that she doesn’t trust me or anything I just think she wants to do it herself. We managed to get all of the bedrooms set up and they really do look nice. All mom needs to do now is decide on a palette, a word mom picked up in the paint department of OSH, and then we’re good to go. She is so funny, pretending that this is not affecting her when in fact she’s bouncing off the walls with excitement.

After we got the kitchen cleaned up I asked her if there was anything she needed help with and she told me to go take care of my own project and so I headed to my new room…she and dad have moved into the master suite like I suggested in the first place but the computer room is still off their bedroom. It won’t bother them at all though because it’s far enough away so as not to be a disturbance. My room is now at the other end of the house with the rest of the bedrooms. The five empty bedrooms awaiting the arrival of many grandchildren, mom and dad’s idea not mine.

Anyway, I’m going to take a ride across the desert to get the feel of things so I put on a pair of old jeans and some old boots, tied a lightweight jacket to the back of the bike and put on my regular motorcycle jacket. After surveying the terrain and deciding where would be a good place to start I don my helmet and take off. ‘This is so cool’ I think to myself as I head out behind the property and just take off. No hauling a trailer or anything…just go…as free as the wind. I take it slowly at first, stopping occasionally to check things out and to get my bearings. I know I want to continue in a southwesterly direction but I definitely don’t want to cross over into Mexican territory so I’m very careful to keep an eye on my GPS.

After about an hour of just testing the terrain and getting a feel of the bike I decide to try the other side of the highway…oh what the hell, it looks pretty smooth about 500 feet down the road and the terrain looks pretty interesting so I pull out onto highway 10 and as I start to make my way down the road I hear a siren…”Well Damn!”

I goose the engine and take off like a bat out of hell and jump a small ditch that will get me over to the hard pan quicker but not quite as comfortably. ‘Shit! Where did that come from?’ I asked myself and kept on going. The next thing I know that siren is getting closer and I check my rear view mirror and sure as shit the asshole is following me. He must be nuts…that car doesn’t belong out here… so I really give my baby the juice and she takes off like that highway patrolman is standing still. When I look in my mirror again I can see the car bogged down to it’s axels in the sand and I stop, turn around and start to giggle. He does look funny standing there looking at the tires while shaking his head and scratching the back of his head…I used to know someone who did that a lot. He looks up at me and I give him a civilian salute and take off.

I really shouldn’t be doing this but it was truly fun. ‘I hope they can get a tow truck out there to pull him out’ I think to myself as I take off toward my destination to take some pictures and head on home before dinner.

Max:

God, it’s a beautiful morning. Michael left about 7:00 a.m. and Kyle and Jim took off around 9:00 a.m. and I’m just heading back to the office. Right where hwy. 10 and 25 meet I see this kid on an unlicensed dirt bike taking off down the road. I turn on my lights and hit the siren but he keeps on going and then takes off, jumps a ditch and heads on in to the desert. ‘What the hell? We won’t have any of this on my watch!’ And then, like a damned fool I get off the road, onto the soft shoulder and start to follow. I know better than to do this because now I am standing here, ankle deep in the damned soft sandy dirt…probably the only stretch of soft sand in the entire state of New Mexico, and the little son-of-a-bitch is standing about 150 feet in front of me watching and if that’s not enough, now he’s saluting me.

Jeeeezus, can this get any worse? Well, yes it can because I have to call dispatch and get a damned tow truck out here to haul my sorry ass back to the highway. I hope I see that little sucker again…I’ll show him what it’s all about. And if I didn’t look like such a damned fool I would probably get a kick out of this. The kid is really good on that bike that’s for sure.

Liz:

When I get back to the hacienda mom has already started dinner, a nice big pot of stew, and has managed to get the living room organized the way she wanted it and I must admit, it looks beautiful. Whoever the people were that owned this place spared no money that’s for certain. I have some work to do in the office before I do anything else and I need to get some data sent off to John. I don’t want the man to think I’m sluffing off because I’m on my own so I send him the photo’s with the GPS coordinates that correspond to each picture and the time of the day the pictures were taken. I will do some night rides and take some shots after I study the photo’s closer for tire tracks or any other interesting marks. Then I tell him about my almost run in with the ‘County Mounty’ and I ask for a little favor. I want to see if he can find out anything about this house my mother bought. It’s just too good to be true. I spend about an hour on the computer and then head to my room to take a shower. When I pass through the living room I find my mom passed out in a recliner, remote in hand, and the evening news on. She looks wiped out. Hopefully the newness of the house will wear off soon and she’ll be ready to head to class on Monday. I think she’s going to enjoy it…it’s about time she takes some time for herself and I‘m looking forward to spending time with her, I find a small throw in the bedroom and cover he up before heading to my room.

About that time my cell buzzes with a message alert so I look down and read what it has to say…

“Watch out for the fuzz Liz…we don’t want to have to bail you out on your first outing.”

It’s from John, I have to laugh because I don’t really think there’s a vehicle out there, two OR four wheeler, that can take mine. None has so far. I shouldn’t get too cocky about this but I’d still like to see someone try, it really would be fun to find out. ‘Shower here I come ‘ and I start to giggle as I make my way to the back bedroom…I’ll finish dinner up for mom as soon as I’m cleaned up.

Max:

When the dispatcher received my call they started asking questions that I wasn’t in the mood to answer so when I got back to the office Serena had sticky notes all over the damned place. She looked up at me with those big blue eyes of hers and never said a word, just nodded her acknowledgement of my presence and smiled. I really would like to kick something right now…really, really badly.

When I opened my office door it looked like the girl had wall papered everything in there with sticky notes. She even had the damned things stuck to my lamp shade and hanging from the back of my chair. There was sticky notes everywhere but the one that got my attention the most was the one from Jimmy Jameson. The only reason it stuck out from the rest was because Serena had used three sticky notes stuck together and wrote in big black felt tip letters. The girl was an absolute genius when it came to the damned stuff. I’m going to forbid the office supply girl to buy that shit anymore…I swear to god, there will be no more sticky notes in this office. After my silent tirade I felt better and dialed the now familiar number and spoke with the head of the DEA.

“Max…Jimmy here. Hey, I hear you had some trouble out in the desert hard pan today. Anything that we should be aware of?”

“Nope…nothing to be concerned about. Some kid took his dirt bike for a spin down the highway and the little sucker outran me. As much as I hate to own up to the fact that I was stupid and tried to follow him I have to admit that he was damned good on that bike. I remember a kid back in high school that used to ride motocross with Kyle and me that could ride like that. He was a wiry little thing and could do things on that bike that would absolutely scare the shit out of a normal person. Anyway, it’s nothing to be concerned about. I’m sure my ego will survive. That’s the only thing that got hurt. How the hell did you hear about it?”

“Oh, I called for you earlier and Serena told me all about it. I guess the whole department knows about you getting stuck out there. Let’s hope you can take the razzing you’re going to be getting.”

“I think I’ll go fire the damned dispatcher and make myself feel better.”

And the director of the DEA was laughing …literally laughing at me, serves me right to be taking on kids on bikes. I should have better sense.

Jimmy Jameson:

When I got the call from John I was a little concerned that one of our team had inadvertently run into another member. If this was going to work we had to keep the players away from each other for their own safety and the safety of the operation. I didn’t want to blow Liz’s cover but I wanted to make sure she hadn’t been made. John informed that she had sent some very interesting data along and it was very thorough, which we knew she would be.

After talking to Max I called John…

“Hey John, you don’t have to worry about your girl. She’s perfectly safe from being discovered. As a matter of fact Max Evans thinks some kid was out for a joyride down the highway on a dirt bike. The only thing hurt is his pride. He also mentioned that he and Kyle used to do motocross as youngsters and there was a kid that could scare the bejeezus out of them out there on that track. I think that he knows our Liz but doesn’t know who she is. This is really interesting.”

“Well, let’s just hope Liz doesn’t get competitive out there. The woman is very daring when it comes to that damned bike of hers and she just might harass the man if she thinks it’s going to be fun. When I got her message she wasn’t too concerned about it at all. It was almost like a game to her. Unless Max actually pulls out his firearm and shoots her I don’t think he’ll catch her. There’s nothing at his disposal that will catch her.”

“Doesn’t she have a sharpshooter standing with us?”

“Well yes, but I don’t think she’s out there riding around the desert armed.”

“Isn’t she supposed to be armed at all times?”

“Well yes, but this is something else Jimmy…I don’t think she’d want to be caught on that bike armed.”

“Well, if she’s as good as you say she is she isn’t going to be getting caught unless someone shoots her and after talking to Max he just might.”

“Are you serious?”

“Not really, but he did say he was going to go out and fire the dispatcher just to make himself feel better.”

“Now that I can believe. Can you imagine having to call for a tow truck for yourself because you were chasing some kid on a motorcycle out in the desert in a squad car. That’s got to hurt your pride.”

“Yeah, it was a pretty dumb move. Anyway, I think our girl is safe. Take care and I’ll be getting some data off to you soon.”

“Yeah, you too and tell Liz to be careful too. Okay?”

“Sure, I’ll tell her but I don’t think it’s necessary. I think she and her mom might go out for a couple of rides together over the week-end…let’s hope our friendly little highway patrolman is off for a couple of days”

“Do you want me to set up another meeting out of town or something?”

“No, we can’t interfere with their lives too much…especially Liz’s. She is just collecting data for us and this is supposed to be a safe environment for her so let’s just leave her alone. If she runs into Max I’m sure she’s smart enough to follow the rules.”

“They don’t come too much smarter Jimmy…that’s for sure.”

“I’ll talk to you later.”

“Okay John, stay safe.”

“Will do.” And the two men hung up.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 17 6/26/11

Post by mary mary »

Natalie36: she is fun isn't she!!! :)
Eve: They still don't know who each other is yet, but we're getting there...past the half way mark now. :wink:
XAF RU208: We're getting close to an up close and personal encounter...just a few more chapters to go. Once again, not a novel, short and sweet. :)
Carolyn: Glad to see you home safe and sound...and yes, he's going to be surprised. :lol:
Lizza: They'll find out eventually...I hope it's worth the wait. :wink:

*~*~*

Chapter: 18

Liz:

The week-end was upon us way too soon and Dad had to stay in Roswell because Jose’ had a family emergency so mom and I went over to the B&B for breakfast after church and then headed over to OSH for some paint chips. Mom was going to go over to one of the local shops and see if she could find some coordinating sheets, towels and curtains to match some of the colors that she had liked at the paint department while I kept trying to convince her that there isn’t any hurry and she assures me that she knows this but there’s no slowing her down.

(EVE: OSH is an extension of Sears...stands for Orchard Supply House, I think! It's close anyway.)

“Mom, you said that those bedrooms were for grandchildren. Is there something you aren’t telling me?”

“What do you mean Liz?”

“Do you have a slew of other kids somewhere that I don’t know about and they’re going to start showing up homeless with all of these mysterious grandchildren?”

“Elizabeth Parker you watch your mouth. What in the name of all that’s good and holy would make you say that?”

“Well, you sure are hell bent for recess to finish up these damned bedrooms. You would think there’s some kind of urgency to get them done. Mom, you signed up for decorating classes at a university and you haven’t even taken one of the classes yet. Why don’t you wait and see if you learn how to do something new before you go tackling these rooms?”

About that time Doug Shellow and Vicky Delaney show up and stop to say hello.

“I see you’re trying to convince your mom to slow down Liz. I think you might have better luck stopping the tide.”

“I think you might be right.” And I smiled brightly at him. I’m glad we were talking about the house and not something else.

“I’d like to introduce you to my friend Vicky. Vicky, this is Liz and Nancy Parker.”

I gave Vicky a big smile as my mom shook hands with the woman…it was her.

“Hi Vicky, it’s been a long time. What brings you to Columbus?”

“Hi Liz…I thought that was you the other day but I wasn’t sure. Yes it has been a long time…graduation, eight years ago and Doug is ‘the what’ that brings me to Columbus. How about you?”

“Oh, I signed up for some graduate work at Las Cruces and mom and I were down here looking for a small house to rent when mom found one to buy. Now she’s up to her ears in decorating and even signed up to take some decorating classes at the university. She was even kind enough to sign me up with her…don’t you think that is just too special?”

Both Doug and Vicky laughed at that and then we said our goodbyes.

“Liz? If you don’t want to take the decorating classes you don’t have to honey…I just thought it would be fun.”

“It will be mom, honest. I am looking forward to them and I’m sure I will learn something while I’m there. Don’t worry about it.” And with that mom and I headed across the street to our car when I spotted a highway patrol car driving down the street…when I looked up, just out of curiosity…wondering if it was the same car that had chased me the other day I almost choked. Talk about a small world…Max Evans! It can’t be…can it? Damn.

“Liz, what’s wrong? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“I did mom…that’s Max Evans driving that patrol car.”

“Honest to God… Are you sure?”

“Just as sure as I’m standing here. I wonder if he’s the one that chased me the other day?”

“What do you mean, chased you?”

Oh yes! I forgot to tell my mother about my close encounter with the fuzz.

“I’ll tell you later…let’s go home and take a ride.”

So mom and I headed on home, no paint, no curtains, no nothing but ideas and I tell my mother about the “fun” I had with the local ‘county mounty’ and my mom was trying to stifle her giggles as I told her about saluting the cop.

“Liz, you didn’t do that!”

“Yeah, mom, I did. It was the most fun I’ve had in a really long time. Not that Palm desert wasn’t fun but this was just great. I hope it was Max that got stuck, that would make it twice the fun. Do you know that he and Kyle used to race motocross against me when we were in school. Neither one of them ever beat me.”

“Liz, as I recall, no one ever beat you honey. They called you the “Little Dynamo” remember?”

“No, I don’t think I ever knew that. We always left when the races were over and my ribbons and medals were sent to me. I always had to get home to study for a test or some such thing. It all paid off though, I really had fun. As a matter of fact I think that’s the only fun I ever did have. I was either doing home work, working in the crash or riding. So the riding was the only fun there was for me. Why was that mom? Was it because dad always wanted a boy?”

“Oh God no Liz. Your dad loves you more than life. He always said that you had a feel for that bike and wanted to give you every opportunity that there was for you to excel at it. That’s why you raced. You always wanted to ride with your dad when he would go out on his bike and so he bought you one of your own when you were three. I almost had a heart attack the first time you got on it but your dad convinced me that it couldn’t go any faster than 10 mph and that you rode your tricycle faster than that and he was right. Although I really don’t believe you pedaled that tricycle that fast but the 10 mph didn’t scare you at all and soon you were racing in the four year old heats. It was a riot to see all of those babies, and they were babies, racing their little hearts out around that track. Once I got used to it I would sit and laugh with the other mothers at all those little kids with their fierce little faces thinking they were doing 120 mph.”

“Wow, I remember always being on a race track but I had no idea I was that young when I started.”

“Oh yeah, you were. Who is this Vicky Delaney I just met, you graduated with her?”

“Yeah. Remember that summer that Kyle and I sort of dated. Well, when school started back up and I got this humongous crush on Max Kyle started dating Vicky. He had dated her, sort of, our freshman year but then when school was out I guess I was handier because I was working at the crash by then so he could come in and we could go rent a movie and hang out. After Max and I started seeing one another, for that short period of time, Vicky became Kyle’s love interest again.”

“Really, what happened between them? Why did they stop dating?”

“Tess, I think.”

“The same Tess that broke you and Max up?”

“The very same.”

“Well, it seems she got around.”

“Understatement mom…but let’s not talk about her okay. She is Jim’s daughter-in-law and I’m sure she’s grown up some since our sophomore year.”

“Have you grown up and grown past all of that Liz?”

I can’t believe my mother just asked me that question. What in the hell is she talking about. I hope I’ve grown up since my sophomore year of high school…that’s just plain nasty!

“God mom, I would hope so.”

“Well, you don’t have a love interest and I’m not so sure you even take the time to date anyone.”

Well shit!

“Mom, can you tell me when I’ve had the time to find anyone to date. I went to work for the DEA right out of school and I haven’t even had time to make a girl friend let alone a boy friend. One of these days mom…I’ll find the right guy and when I do I’ll know it.”

“Are you sure you haven’t already met him and have let him get away?”

“No mom, I think I would know if I’d already met the love of my life for God’s sake. I would hope that I’m not that socially stunted.”

“Well, I would hope not. Come on, open the garage for me, I’ll be glad when the electrician gets here and fixes this automatic opener for us.”

“You’re right, this sucks.” And I grin at my mother as I get out of the car to open the garage for her.

Max:

God, I must be hallucinating… I would swear that I saw Nancy Parker again and that little brunette next to her looked an awfully lot like Liz. It can’t be though, what would they be doing here. I know Valenti said he had lunch in the Crash-down the other day and was talking to Jeff Parker so they still own the place. I have no idea what Liz has been doing all of these years, I haven’t seen her since graduation and Maria never talks about her around me. Our break up almost cost me my friendship with Michael so we decided to never talk about Liz and we haven’t to this day. I know Maria asked her to be her maid of honor for the wedding but Liz was working on her doctorate and couldn’t get away. I wonder what she’s a doctor of. Probably something to do with medicine since she loved science. I often wonder where we’d be today if we hadn’t had that misunderstanding about Tess... She and Kyle certainly make a great couple.

Boy, talk about a mess and when Liz heard about it there was no talking to her. Talk about sticking to your guns, that girl wouldn’t budge. I wonder if she ever thinks of me…God knows I have thoughts of her, the thoughts have never stopped after all these years. No matter how many women I’ve dated she’s always there in the back of my mind…I wonder if the thoughts will ever go away. She was the sweetest, kindest person I ever met and the most stubborn. God was she stubborn.

Oh well, it couldn’t have been them. Not in Columbus. I’d better get back to the office and send my report to Jimmy. The new tapes will be ready for analysis for him tomorrow. I certainly hope this new idea of his works. He has apparently put some great study into hand picking all of us and the secrecy surrounding our knowledge of each other seems to be uppermost in his plan. It seems as though he is having a tough time trusting people. I guess there are moles in all of these agencies that need to be weeded out and this would be the only way to do it.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

Liz:

Mom and I were changed and in our leathers and jackets in no time flat and soon we were pushing our bikes out of the garage and through the back gate. Let me tell you, this backing up to the desert is wonderful, just wonderful. I love this and I told mom so too.

“Mom, can you imagine not having to hook up a damned trailer and load these things every time you want to take a ride. This is heaven, absolute heaven.”

“I thought you’d like it.”

And that’s all she said as she mounted her bike, put her helmet on and kicked the engine over. She was off like a flash and I was right behind her. Oh she really looks good on a bike. The woman has the body of a 25 year old, she’s tall, a lot taller than me, God…who isn’t? She really sits tall in the saddle and she’s beautiful to watch. I wonder why she never raced…dad did when he was younger but mom never did.

These thoughts ran through my mind as I followed behind my mother…I’ll have to ask her about the racing when we stop for some water later. As I head toward the highway I get this funny feeling in my stomach, like someone is watching me and so I slowed down and took a look. Sure enough that highway patrolman was sitting over there next to that group of large cacti. I motion for mom to stop for a second and point it out and start laughing.

“Mom, that’s Max. You wanna’ play?”

And folks, my mother looked at me and grinned…pointed to a place to get onto the highway about 50 feet up ahead and we took off. I can’t believe we’re doing this.

And so my mother and I got onto the highway, headed for a spot in the road where we could get back off and when we checked our mirrors, sure enough Max Evans was chasing us like hell wouldn’t have it. We let him follow us for about a mile before mom pulled off, I followed and Max hit his breaks. We could hear him screech behind us and we both came to a stop, throwing sand as we slid around to face him. He got out of his car and pointed to us and I saluted him again. Mom and I took off, both of us laughing and when we stopped about halfway through our ride for a drink my mother shook her head at me and said …

“You’re right, it is fun, but you know we really shouldn’t be doing that.”

“I know, but it’s so much more fun when you know who it is. Do you think he’s waiting for us back there?”

“Oh I wouldn’t put it past him. He might even have had time to get himself a bike…how about it. Should we look for him before getting back on the other side?”

My mother looked at me and giggled…

“Oh hell yeah!”

And we mounted up and headed back. We kept looking for a vehicle parked along side the road before taking off down the highway and we weren’t disappointed. Sure enough there was this big full dress Harley sitting in just about the same spot as the patrol car. Damn Max, you know better than to bring a Harley to a dirt race. Shit, this isn’t going to be any fun. Mom took the lead again when we got about 50 to 75 feet past the Harley and took off down the highway with me right on her heels. When I looked in my mirror that hog was gaining rapidly on my ass and I goosed the engine and passed mom flying…she got the message and took off right with me and that damned Harley kept on coming. Pretty soon I saw a nice ditch up ahead and raised my hand and pointed for mom to check it out and I headed right for it. I flew over and mom was right behind me and the next thing I knew I heard a loud crunch.

Shit, he tried to jump the damned ditch with that hog…he knows better. Shit, shit, shit…

Mom and I both stopped and looked toward the sound and there stood Max Evans, no doubt about who the person standing there scratching his head was, and his motorcycle was sort of… messed up. We really couldn’t see how bad it was torn up but Max was okay…I saluted him again when he looked up and mom and I took off.

Shit, I don’t know if I should report this to John or not. We didn’t take any pictures today…we were too busy playing with the highway patrol.

No, I think I’ll keep this trip to myself.

Max:

AH SHIT!!! Not again. I’m going to be the laughing stock of the entire force if this kid keeps up. I’ve got to quit playing with company vehicles…I’ll bring my own bike out next time…I will catch this little shit yet and then I called dispatch again. I really messed up the front end of this bike.

And when I got back to the station I was only thankful that Serena was off today. No sticky notes…at least that was a plus. I picked up my bruised ego and headed on home. Damn.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 18 6/27/11

Post by mary mary »

Eve: Well, you're right about Liz not accepting Max's explanation. The only thing I can say right now is you're also correct when you say she was just a teen. She is also very stubborn, very intelligent and very talented and sometime she tends to let her emotions run away with her without using that brilliant mind. Let's hope she comes around to thinking straight! :wink:
Cardinal: Yes, Max certainly knows better to take that Hog and try to jump a ditch but I don't think that he was really thinking too straight. He almost lost Michael's friendship because he wanted Michael to help him talk to Liz and Liz wouldn't talk to anybody that mentioned Max. Maria threatened Michael into not mentioning Max's name in Liz's presence. They too were only teenagers and dumb teenagers at that! :wink:
Natalie36: Hey, you're right! Only they lived through it!!! 8)
Carolyn: Here I am :D :D :D
Lizza: Your question will be answered eventually...they'll meet. It's inevitable! :)
XAF RU208: Actually Max was pretty good on a dirt bike, he just hasn't had the right equipment yet! As for Liz getting him riled up, well, she's going to do her best. :D :D :D

*~*~*

Chapter: 19
Max:

As I sat in my kitchen having my morning coffee I toyed with the idea of taking my dirt bike over to the office and having the guys service the thing in their spare time and then thought better of it. This kid and his buddy were becoming a personal problem and not one the department would readily look on favorably if I started bringing it to work. Granted, he was breaking the law by using the public highway to ride a non-licensed vehicle but in truth, he was just using the highway to cross the same as a pedestrian would. Yes, he should be getting off the bike and be pushing it across but hell, I’d do the same thing. It’s just that he’s made it personal and that little salute I get when I’ve done something stupid really pisses me off. No, the little sucker is going to get hauled in but I need my dirt bike for that. I’ll check it out with the main office and get their thoughts on the subject but he’s going down.

When I get into the office everyone puts their heads down and they all look very busy except, of course, Serena, what in the hell is she doing here? I gave her the day off. She’s all smiles and just plain full of shit. She just can’t hide her smugness… it’s as if she knew she was going to win the lottery. I just nod in her direction and head into my office where I find a great big legal sized paper stuck to my computer screen with black felt tip lettering on it. She’s resorted to scotch tape and the big guns. I may just give her to Kyle…he deserves her! Then I read the message. It’s Jimmy again…how in the hell does he find out about this!

I pick up the phone and dial the now memorized number and get the chief honcho himself in one ring.

“Max!!! Buddy!!! I hear you had another run in with the kid…what the hell is going on. Do you think he might be someone we should be concerned about?”

“Nah…he’s got a buddy now. Almost as good as he is on that bike. The new rider is a little bigger but not by much. I was thinking about this over my morning coffee and I’ve decided that this thing has become personal and I should keep the force out of it although I would like to haul his little ass into court and take that bike away from him just on principles.”

By now the director of the DEA was laughing at me again…

“You have to catch him first Max.” He chuckled.

“Yeah, you’re right, but I hauled my dirt bike out of the garage this morning and looked it over before coming to work. I’m going to go over it tonight and get it ready for a spin this week-end. I will catch that little shit one way or the other. I think it’s those shitty little salutes he gives me before he takes off after I’ve buried myself.”

“Salutes?”

“Yeah, the little bastard salutes me before he takes off. Can you believe it? And it’s not a good salute either. He just reaches up vertically, takes his index and middle finger to the center of his forehead and salutes then takes off. I know… this is getting personal but I’ve really got to hand it to him…he has pushed my buttons and I’m not usually this easily rattled.”

“Well, don’t get yourself into too much trouble over it Max.”

“Hey, it’s like I was thinking this morning…it really isn’t that bad. He’s just crossing the highway from one side to the other, although he rides down the highway a bit looking for a good place to cross over but he is riding a non-licensed vehicle…he could get off and push it across.”

“Would you?”

“I doubt it. Anyway, it’s no big deal. Was there anything else you wanted besides harassing me about this?”

“Yeah, there is, but I think I’ll table it for a little while to see how some other things develop. You take care of yourself Max and I’ll be talking to you.”

“Yeah, I will. And let’s hope our next conversation is about something besides me making a fool of myself with some teenager.”

“Ah, don’t feel too bad Max…it could happen to anybody.”

“Yeah? I just wish it was happening to “anybody” and not to me. That’s two vehicles I’ve buried… the little shit knows exactly where to take off so I’ll get stuck. He’s got a sixth sense about the terrain. I’ve only seen one other rider like that in all of the years I’ve been riding and that was years ago. It’s almost like a reincarnation.”

“Maybe it is Max. Well, I really do have to get going. We’ll talk later.”

“Yeah. Take care.”

And we hung up just as Serena comes waltzing in with another sticky note.

“What, this one doesn’t deserve a piece of legal paper?”

She looks at me and smiles…holds up her left hand so I’ll notice the pretty little diamond sitting on her ring finger and I get up from my desk, walk around and give her a big hug. She deserves it.

“Have you decided when this happy event will take place?” I hope it’s a long time away I think as I release her and walk back to my desk.

“No. Definitely after graduation though…which we both know is a while down the road but we just wanted to make a statement to the world that we were off the market.”

“Well I think that’s wonderful and I’m glad you aren’t in any hurry. You’re young yet and you have a lot of things you need to do before you take that step.”

“I know Max… you sound more like my dad than my boss. You’re only 5 years older than I am…when are you going to commit yourself to someone?”

“We don’t need to talk about that…do you have something written on that sticky note or is it just part of the decor?”

“Oh, yeah, Kyle wants to talk to you.”

“Does Kyle want to talk to me or to razz me?”

“A little of both I think. He didn’t sound too urgent but I told him I would give you the message so here it is.”

“Thanks Serena and congratulations.”

“Thanks Max.” And she left.

I don’t think I want to talk to Kyle just yet, I’m really not in the mood for anymore shit today so… I picked up the phone anyway and called my old friend, what the hell… it’s only words, I can live with that.

Liz:

“Well mom, are you ready for school?”

I had to laugh at my mother, she looked like she wanted to crawl back into bed and stay there. We had to be up at 6:30 if we were to be in class by 10:00. The drive was two hours which was long enough so that we had to be out of the house at least by 8:00 but this morning we had to leave earlier in order to sign registration papers, etc. Maybe tomorrow it won’t be so bad since we will have filled out all of the paper work and had our orientation. I’m sure we’ll need to purchase supplies of some kind. God knows what a class like this will entail. I remember my art appreciation class so many years ago. I thought that one was going to be a breeze just like mom thinks this one is. All I can say is I sure am glad I didn’t sign up for the genetics class I wanted. I don’t think I would have been able to deal with it. Maybe next semester when she gets all of this nonsense out of her system I can take a few classes that I might enjoy.

“Oh sure…just wish I would have opted for the “after lunch” crowd is all. God, I don’t know why I’m so tired. But yesterday was sure fun…don’t you ever tell your dad what we did, he would be madder than a wet hen if he knew I was purposely antagonizing a law enforcement person.” And then she started laughing and continued…

“Did you see him Liz? The way he was staring at us like he wanted to shoot us? I could hardly ride out of there. I think that was one of the best days of my life, no, I know for sure that was one of the best days of my life.” And that my friends is my 50 year old mother …yep, can you believe it?

“Well, I’m glad you enjoyed it because God knows I did.” And I started giggling right along with her.

After we got in the car mom started in again…

“Liz, do you think you did the right thing with Max? Honey, teenagers, especially teenage boys, aren’t known for making the best decisions all of the time.”

“Mommmmm…please, don’t go there. It was a long time ago so it doesn’t matter anymore.”

“God Liz, I wish you would have talked to me about this stuff way back then. You were always so closed up when it came to this kind of a thing.”

“Well mom, as you recall, there really wasn’t a whole lot of “this stuff” going on in my life and when Max started seeing Tess behind my back, well it was over so there was nothing to talk about anyway. And after that I figured I didn’t need to get tangled up in a relationship that I wouldn’t want to break away from so why start one? Therefore I just quit dating all together. I was going away to school and I think I made the right decision. I never did go back to Roswell and this is just an assignment so I think I made the right decision. God knows where I’ll be sent next mom and I really do like my job. It’s just that I would like to study more science. It’s fascinating.”

“Oh sweetie…I am so sorry for committing you to this decorating class. I never dreamed that you were serious about the science classes. I thought you were making your decision based on necessity due to a cover story. I wish you would have told me not to do this.”

“Oh God mom…don’t. I want to take this class with you, I think it will be fun for both of us and I’ve enjoyed being with you so much this past week. It’s been wonderful and it is the first time we’ve ever done anything with just the two of us and I love it. Don’t apologize for it please…you’ll make me feel bad for telling you this “stuff”…”

“Oh sweetie, I’m having the time of my life as well and the hacienda is just the icing on the cake. I haven’t had this much fun in years…even harassing the fuzz is fun.” And we both giggled…it was fun.

Liz:

After we got out of class it was time for lunch so we decided to head on over to the book store and pick up the required text book we would need, no sense in buying two, and some of the “art” supplies as well. We purchased the larger sizes of everything figuring on sharing and saved a bundle of money by doing it that way and after we were finished checking everything off ‘the list’ we decided we should check out Las Cruces before heading back to Columbus. We stopped in at a nice little bistro outside the campus and found a nice shady spot on the sidewalk to sit and relax and I swear, the sheriff in that truck looked like Kyle Valenti. This world is getting smaller by the minute. Mom noticed me staring and asked…

“Liz, do you know that cop too?”

“Yeah mom, that’s Kyle Valenti, Jim’s son. Jim never mentioned that he worked over here. God, it’s going to be really tough keeping a low profile when I know half the law enforcement in the damned state.”

“Oh honey, you don’t know all of them, just some of them…are you sure that’s him?”

“I’m positive mom. Maybe we should just start bringing our lunch or eat in the cafeteria. I don’t know…how about we dye our hair or something?”

“Oh for God’s sake Liz…even if he does see us you can wave or something…we are attending classes after all.”

“Yeah, you’re right. But it’s so much easier to not have to lie.”

“Look, you did just fine with Doug Shellow and you’ll do fine with Kyle. Now Max, I’m not so sure…he’ll probably throw both of our asses in the slammer.”

And with that we both laughed at how ridiculous I was being about this whole incognito bull shit. It’s just that I wasn’t used to it but I sure hope it grows on you and fast.

After we got back home we both changed our clothes and got us some iced tea. Mom grabbed the decorating text book and headed to the dining room table and I headed on out to the garage. I gassed up the baby, pushed it out through the back gate and headed for the hills. The afternoon was beautiful and I loved the way the sun was shining off the floor of the desert. There were certain times of the day that the ground just seemed to sparkle like millions of diamonds were laying on it.

I headed west again and stopped at a few places to have a drink and take some pictures. There were animal tracks in a few of the places…horses or mules I think, and they looked like they were coming from the Mexican side of the plains…then there were some tire tracks as well. I noted the time and took a GPS reading, put my water bottle back in my saddle bags and started following the tire tracks. They seemed to stop right in the middle of nowhere so I took another GPS reading and a picture and then turned and headed east again. I wonder if Max is on the prowl today? Wouldn’t that just frost his ass to have me dump him in the desert again? I headed toward the highway and spotted a patrol car but I don’t think it was Max driving this time so I stayed on my own side of the highway and headed on home. I wanted to get the photo’s off to John ASAP…it looked like there could be some air activity out there the way those tire tracks stopped the way they did. This could be interesting.

I pushed the bike into the garage and closed it up…I had left my jacket and helmet on the bike and I’m glad I did…Doug was pulling into the driveway just as I closed the door.

“Hey Doug…what brings you over? Is everything okay with the closing on the house?”

“Oh hi Liz. Yeah, it’s cool. I just need one more signature from your mom if she’s here.”

“Yeah, she’s here…we had our first class today and she couldn’t wait to get her hands on that text book. You’d think the woman had never seen a color swatch before the way she’s acting. She’s really into this. I hope I can share some of her enthusiasm…I think it would disappoint her if I don’t. How’s Vicky…I was sure surprised to see her living here in Columbus.”

“Oh, she’s fine…and I think she’s here because I’m here. My company will probably transfer me to a busier office now that I sold this place. They couldn’t believe I dumped…oh, excuse me, sold it to someone.”

“Was it really that difficult to get rid of?” I really wanted to know what mom had gotten herself into.

“To be honest, yes. Not that there’s anything wrong with it Liz…it’s just so big. Nobody wanted a place this big, especially to retire in. This is a place you entertain in not live in, not the everyday living your mom wants to do.”

“Well you have to appreciate that mom comes from a very large Irish family and although there was plenty of love, plenty of food and plenty of people there wasn’t always plenty of room so this is mom’s dream house. And she will probably invite lots of family to visit so it will be used for plenty of entertaining.”

“I see. Well I hope it lives up to her every fantasy.”

“I think it already has.”

And we went inside, mom was still reading, I think she was already in the middle of the book and totally engrossed. She was shocked to see Doug with me and being mom she played her role to perfection…

“Liz, did you find that pot for me out in the garage?”

“No mom, dad must have left it in Roswell. You know he doesn’t really know the difference between the Crash pots and pans and the houses pots and pans. You can pick it up when you drive home on Wednesday.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. How are you Doug. Is everything alright?”

“Oh yes Mrs. Parker…we forgot one page for your signature.” And Doug pulled a folder out of his briefcase and handed it to mom. She opened it and smiled when she saw what it was. I had no idea until she turned to me and handed me the pen when she was finished.

“What’s this mom?”

“You’re co-owner of the house Liz so you need to sign this.” And she watched my face go from confused, to shocked to I don’t know what.

“Why?” Was the only word that would come out of my mouth.

“Because we like you, now sign the damned thing.”

So I signed the damned thing and gave it back to Doug who put it back in his briefcase and smiled. He bid mom goodbye and I walked him to the door…

“Maybe she’s preparing you for many babies?” He whispered and then he smiled.

“Watch it or I may prepare you for “NO” babies.”

He looked at me skeptically and then nodded and left. I hope the hell he’s not a regular visitor out here…he’s starting to give me the creeps and not too many people do that. Oh well, I’ll get over it…I hope.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 20 6/28/11

Post by mary mary »

Lizza: Keep reading and everything will come together soon. I think Liz needs to listen to her mother when it comes to staying incognito...Nancy seems to have a really good handle on it! :)
Eve: I think Max is going to be surprised...that's a good word for it. Let's hope he handles it "with grace and aplomb"...words of Liz, remember? :D
nitpick23: It seems the DEA agrees with regarding using Liz for recon, let's just hope she can stay out of trouble. We'll see how the big "race" turns out soon. I'm not so sure it's this chapter but it's close. :wink:
Cardinal: Max tries to set a trap...I think it's a guy thing, what do you think? :wink:
XAF RU208: I see you caught that little hint I left there for ya, huh? :D :D :D Yep, I'll agree with you, Nancy is a devious little woman. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carolyn: That Doug sort of gave me the creeps on the show as well as here...as for the meeting, this is ch. 20...the story is about 30 chapters or so, so I think that meeting might be coming up in the next week or so. :D :D :D
Cardinal:There you go, thinking! :lol: :roll: :lol: You're getting truly close big guy! :wink:
Ken: Thank you for the pm's today...I loved hearing from you. :D
*~*~*

Chapter: 20

James Jamison:

Well, I just finished a conference call with John in L.A. He filled me on the latest news from Columbus and I filled him in on the Highway Patrol episode.

“John, I know Liz and Max Evans went to school together but see if you can find out more information on those two. She’s taunting him and he thinks it’s a young teenage boy that keeps driving him into the desert sand. Of course he doesn’t have to chase her into the sand but he does and then when he needs a tow truck she stops and salutes before she continues on her way. Are you sure she’s the right person for the job. Not only is she taunting him but I believe she’s got her mother as a co-conspirator. Between the two of them the man is ready to haul both of them off to jail.”

“Ah Jimmy…don’t sweat it. He’ll never catch her and it’s a great cover if he thinks she’s a kid. A boy kid at that. This is too good.”

“Well, you might think so but since there are so many players in this particular segment that know each other I think we should bring her in on the team as well.”

“No jimmy, I don’t think so. She’s just gathering data. The others will make arrests if they think it’s necessary and Liz can just keep on riding and gathering data. She’s already sent some interesting stuff. Today she sent some photo’s and GPS co-ordinates that might answer a lot of questions, things that we miss on satellite pictures. Liz thinks they are using either horses or mules, then trucks and then air. The photos she sent are of truck tires stopping out in the middle of nowhere and turning around and going back. The area is well defined and Liz thinks they’re using helicopters because there isn’t a runway. She could be on to something. Do you have anybody working the airport in Columbus or Las Cruces…even across the border into Texas. I believe she’s right.”

“Send me a fax of the photos to my home tonight. Let me have a look. Your job is to gather the information John, I’ll take a look at it as soon as you send it over. I’m not giving you anymore information about our other teams and their whereabouts, the less you know the better for the entire operation…you know this. I will tell you this, we know they are using planes but we really don’t know any of the particulars except for the ones out over the ocean…this is great John. We’ll let her work alone for awhile but I don’t want anything happening to her. She must be a real character.”

“Well Dave and Ben had some stories to tell after spending a couple of days with her. They said that her and her mother are a real pair and the week-end we spent out in the desert was also fun. Both of her parents are very good people and they love their daughter beyond life itself. You can just see it when they look at her.”

“What does she look like?”

“Oh hell, she’s enough to keep us from inviting her to parties and get- togethers. The wives are very cautious of her. Even Dave’s partner doesn’t trust Dave around her and after the stunt she pulled the other day I can understand why.”

“Why, what did she do?”

“She forgot there were guests in the house and came into the kitchen at 7:00 a.m. with nothing on but a pair of those boy shorts, I think they’re called, and a tank top. Ben said that Dave said that she was enough to make a guy go straight. She’s about 5’3”, long brunette hair, big brown eyes, flawless olive complexion…need I go on…she’s built like a brick shit-house. She’s not stacked but she’s adequate on top but what she’s lacking up there she more than makes up everywhere else. Hell, Jill thinks the world of her and is jealous as hell. Anything else?”

“No…does she date at all?”

“Not that I know of. Maybe she’s gay too. We’ve never really talked on a personal level so I wouldn’t know. Why all the questions? I thought we were good to go with her?”

“Oh we are…definitely but I’m still not sure we should keep the rest of that particular team in the dark about her. Maybe “officer Evans” should leave her alone.”

“No, let her have her fun. If everyone at the station knows there’s a kid driving the man nuts it’s excellent cover.”

“Yeah, maybe you’re right. Okay then, I’ll let you get back to your family John. Have a good evening.”

“You too boss…goodnight.” And Jimmy Jameson hung up the phone with his L.A. leader still not convinced about keeping the Las Cruces team in the dark.

Liz:

“Hey Liz, honey, wake up.”

“Hey mom, what’s up.” I can barely see her I’m so tired.

“Certainly not you. I’m about ready to take off for Roswell and wanted to make sure you have everything you need. Are you sure you’re going to be okay here by yourself?”

“Oh mom, come on…I’ve been living on my own for over eight years now. Yes, I’m going to be fine. Gimme a minute to go to the bathroom and brush my teeth and I’ll have some breakfast with you.”

“No, no sweetie…you don’t have to get up.”

“Yes mom, I do. I have to go to the bathroom now that I’m awake so we might as well have breakfast together.”

“Oh Liz, I’m sorry I woke you. I should have left you a note.”

“Or…think about this! You could have slept longer! Roswell will be there just as well later as earlier… as will dad. And be honest…you want to see dad.”

Now I’ve got my mother blushing…beautiful, just beautiful.

“Well, maybe I am a little lonesome for him.”

“Just a little huh? You have to get up in the middle of the night to drive to Roswell…come on mom.” And I gave her one of her favorite looks…quit the BS.

She just laughed.

“Hey, how about we go out to breakfast that way you won’t have to clean the kitchen.”

“No, I won’t but I’ll have to shower and get dressed and then I won’t be able to go back to bed when you leave. Now go put the coffee pot on and I’ll be there in a minute.”

And so she did.

I started thinking while I was in the bathroom…I think I’m really going to miss her even if it is for only 5 days. Three if you don’t count today and Sunday…it’s five! She’s leaving at the crack of dawn and I know she won’t be back until sundown Sunday. I’ll live, I know I will. Maybe I can razz Max some more. That should be fun. And soon I was in the kitchen helping mom with toast while she did eggs and bacon. At least while she’s gone I won’t have to eat like I’ve been working in a corn field all day. Some juice and toast is going to be nice for a change. I wouldn’t tell her that though, she’s already feeling guilty about the decorating classes which, by the way are fun in case you’re interested.

After mom left I was wide awake and knew there wasn’t a chance in hell that I would go back to sleep so I just went ahead and made my bed, took a shower and got dressed in some old jeans and made my way to the office at the other end of the house. A person could forego the thought of exercise in this place, just walking from one end of the house to the other would probably work out to a city block. God this place is big.

After I downloaded all of my photographs, categorized them into possibilities and organized them into a grid for better analysis I marked off some areas for further investigation and then e-mailed John. We didn’t have any sort of code but there was a separate e-mail account we were to use for anything pertaining to my new duties. I gave myself a title and signed it “The Little Surveyor”, I hope he doesn’t get angry with me…I think it’s funny.

Anyway, I got busy and mapped out a plan for today. It wasn’t that far from the house but I thought I had better drive into town with some spare gas cans and fill them up just in case I decided to move further away from the area. There was an awfully lot of territory out there to explore. I was given my boundaries by Dave when he was here, they didn’t want me infringing on another persons territory but I discovered that, once you found a trail it could lead for miles and miles before disappearing into nowhere. Yes, gas was a must, so I wrapped my hair up into a high pony tail, stuck it through the back of my favorite baseball cap, grabbed my keys and headed out to the garage. God, I’ll sure be glad when that garage door company sends the repairman over…I might just stop in at their office before I come back and see what the delay is!

Here I am, standing with a gas nozzle stuck into a gas can when I notice a patrol car drive in…’oh shit’, it’s him…the devil himself and he’s got a gas can in his trunk as well. What the hell is he doing in this area anyway…damn. I turn my face away from his direction and continue to fill up when I hear that low sexy voice say good morning to someone called Sam. Well, I don’t think I know any Sam so at least I’m spared running into someone else I know and anyway, my can is now full. I’ll fill the other can another day…I put the nozzle back into it’s little cradle and stow the can in the trunk, pick up my receipt and get the hell out of there. Why is this man everywhere I go. Doesn’t he have a job or something, he’s wearing a uniform for God’s sake why not go catch some criminals or speeders or some damn thing and get out of my life. I said goodbye to him 10 years ago why doesn’t he just go away. Then I started to giggle…he is trying to catch a criminal, me, maybe we can play a game later, I would love to bury his sorry ass in the sand again. And I started to really laugh…this is so much fun!

Max:

I woke up this morning with a splitting headache…I swear that kid is driving me nuts. Jimmy is as bad as everyone else…when I told him about the kid and his partner in crime he thought it was funny…yeah, it probably is and I wouldn’t get off my bike to cross the road either. Not if I didn’t have to, but they do have to learn safety; not just for themselves but for everyone around them. The kid is good though, I’ll say that for him.

I checked in at the office and then I took my usual drive to Columbus to exchange tapes with my guy on the day shift and then decided to go ahead and get the gas I needed for my bike. I pulled into my favorite station, Sam the owner and I have a working arrangement for the department and the patrol cars in this area use his station. He checks the men’s oil, tires, water and battery for them and keeps them supplied in hot coffee. It’s a great working relationship actually and all the guys like him. He also does our oils and lubes for us. I look over and spot a kid filling up a gas can and all of a sudden the hair on the back of my neck stands up and not until I notice that this wasn’t a kid but a female, a very shapely female, did I shake it off. There certainly is something familiar about that ass…nah, I’m fantasizing, lots of good looking asses in the world and I continue on with my conversation with Sam. Sam follows my line of vision for a second and looks up at me and grins….

“Nice.”

“Yeah, it certainly is.” And we dropped the conversation. I’m sure the young lady wouldn’t appreciate being looked at like that and about that time she was loaded up and taking off…there was something about that profile that just looked too familiar to me. Oh well, and I shook it off again.

“What’s the matter Max? You look like you’re seeing a ghost or something?”

“Or something Sam…I’m sure it’s nothing.”

Then I put my gas can away, bid my friend good bye and take off myself. I wonder if I’ll run into that kid today…I’ll do no more chasing out into that damned desert in this thing that’s for sure. Saturday will be a different story all together…I’ll be ready and waiting.