DEA Meets Highway Patrol(AU,M/L,ADULT) epil. 7/10/11

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 20 6/28/11

Post by mary mary »

Lizza: Moving right along here, the game of cat and mouse continues. The "Big Race" is on for Saturday...let's see how our major players come out. :)
Natalie36: Not today but tomorrow be prepared. :wink:
Steve: I'm not any worse than Prince Zan actually...you've been teasing us with this DeLaney dude for weeks! Now really, isn't this fun? :P As for being ostracized by her co-workers...well these guys just want to keep peace at home. I've had friends tell me they felt the same way about their husbands so it's nothing new, I guess it's a girl thing! :roll:
Carolyn: Yes Saturday by their time which will probably be Saturday by our time too unless I update early, which I doubt. Have a whole bunch of yard work to do before the sun comes back out. Been raining for 2 days...watch it, it's blowing it's way to Tx. :D
Eve: Max will find out soon enough who the "boy" is, and yes, he's going to be surprised. I think Sunday will be nice to all of you. :D
XAF RU208: Saturday is the big race and Sunday is what you've all been waiting for. :roll:

*~*~*

Chapter: 21

Well this house is certainly boring without mom that’s for sure. I made my way back to my room to find that decorating book mom left for me and went back into the living room to find a comfortable spot to sit and read and then decided that I should leave that project for tonight. It’s going to be damned lonesome for the next couple of days so look out desert, here I come.

Back to the office I go, grab some photos, mark off some areas on the map and write the coordinates on a slip of paper then make my way to the garage. Guess what? The garage door man is there working on the remote. I guess someone had reprogrammed the thing when the last owners left and never bothered to change the remotes with the real estate company handling the place. He gave me two remotes and showed me how to reprogram the ones we already had in case we needed more, which I told him we probably would, and then he left. God, this was going to be great. I attached one of the remotes to my car visor and another to the inside of my jacket, pushed my bike out of the garage and smiled when I pushed the button in my pocket. “How nice!” I thought to myself and smiled as I made my way to the back gate again. Soon I was riding like the wind.

As I headed down the side of the highway on my way to the GPS coordinates to take off east this time I noticed the “fuzz” again. I started to giggle…I rode along the highway for probably a half of a mile and when the coast was clear I made my way onto the asphalt and took off just fast enough to make sure Max could catch me but he never left his spot. “What the hell is that Max? Are you tired of playing?” Damn, he’s no fun… so when I saw a nice level piece of hard pan I took off east and headed for my destination. The tracks that I photographed previously were now blown away which tells me that no one had been out here since I had been so I took some more photos of the area, marked the coordinates and the time of day, had me a drink of water as a cover…you never know who’s watching and I took off in a westerly direction toward home. Tomorrow I think I’ll travel a little further inland and see if I find any tracks farther away from the border.

Max:

Well, there’s that little shit again…just look at him, he’s playing with me, I swear he is. He’s trying to lure me back into that damned desert…well, just you wait big time, there’s going to be hell to pay this week-end. If you show up I’ll sure as hell be waiting for you, you can count on it. I wonder what in the hell he’s doing out here anyway. There’s got to be more interesting places to take that bike than the middle of the desert, alone at that. Well, he wasn’t alone the other day. I wonder if he’s practicing for an Enduro? That could be why he’s riding the way he is. That’s probably what’s going on…I can’t wait to get his little ass in my clutches, it’ll be a long time before he does any racing around here again.

Liz:

Well, I wonder what the hell got into Max today…where’s his sporting blood disappeared to and then it dawns on me. He’s buried two highway patrol vehicles in the desert and he’s biding his time. He bought a can of gas this morning and he sat and watched me drive down his highway…he’s up to something. Well bring it on Max, you couldn’t take me when we were kids and you won’t take me out here. Tomorrow I’m going searching for some fun places to take you when you show up in your leathers you sneaky asshole. You haven’t changed a bit! And off to my office I go with my new photos and a new mission in life. Get Max Evans! And I will.

After I compared the new photos to the ones taken the other day I e-mailed John to the private account and then took the photos and a map out to the dining room table and spread them all out. I went over them with a fine toothed comb and found some great ditches, washes and gullies, I wrote down all of the coordinates I needed and memorized the terrain as best I could with only 8X10 photos to go by and then I was ready to go.

This morning I had my toast and juice and it felt great to not have all of that heavy food on my stomach. I was raring to go. I forgot all about the damned decorating book last night but I still have a couple of days left…I won’t disappoint mom that’s for sure. I get myself dressed in my usual jeans and tank top and head to the garage that is open, woo hoo, and waiting for me. Oh this is nice…I slip on my jacket and push my bike to the back gate, slip my hand into my pocket and close the garage door. I almost forgot to do that…and then I don my helmet and I’m off.

I’m headed north east when I notice the patrol car sitting in a new spot today…wonder what he’s up to this time. I wait until I get to my usual half mile from him and start down the highway only this time I get off as soon as I find a nice hard pan. I know he’s just watching and waiting…I’ll lay you odds our game is on for tomorrow, Saturday. This is going to be so much fun, I can hardly wait.

I find a couple of the small ditches that were on the photos and there was a nice wash out here as well but the coup de gras was the gulley. Now there’s a ditch, a big ditch. If I time it just right and at the right angle I can sail right over it…and so I get off my bike, walk the terrain, get a good lay of the land and then I find just a tiny rise, just enough, and I gave it a try. “OH.MY.GOD.” I’ve got to tell you there is nothing like it, it felt like I was air borne forever and when I stood on the pedals in preparation for my landing it felt like the most wonderful sensation I have ever felt in my life. It had to be as good as Maria said sex was…no! It had to be better than sex. When I came down the bike just seemed to settle into the sand like a well bred horse would land after a terrific jump. I turn around, go back, and walk the ditch again, actually I think it might be a dried up river bed, a deep dried up river bed, and I found the spot where I wanted to make my return jump, it had a little rise to it also, you could miss it if you weren’t looking for it. I had to be prepared for Max and I didn’t want to take any chances…I did my return jump and then took a drink of water…people let me tell you…I’m on a high right now that won’t stop.

I prepare myself for another jump and this time I plan my strategy for my upcoming competition and as I sail through the air I turn my bike and plan my landing so that I’m heading east for my return trip, leaving Max Evans eating my dust. Oh I can’t wait. I want to call him and set up an appointment that’s how badly I want this. Just you wait ass hole…I’ve waited years to get back at you and if this is the only way then I’ll take it. The plan worked, I change directions mid air, land and I’m headed right back toward the highway…now that’s what I call a plan, I can hardly wait until tomorrow.

I get home right around 3:00 and can’t believe its so late…I haven’t had anything to eat since 8:00 this morning and I don’t feel the least bit hungry. I think that’s what is called adrenaline…I must be running on adrenaline. I get myself into a warm shower, and it really feels good… then I fix myself some dinner. I still have that decorating chapter to read and I think I noticed a good movie on tonight. At least I hope there is anyway.

Well, I guess I’d better get in the office and check for any e-mails from John. I do get paid to work and not plan Enduro strategies but God that was fun. I find one message and check it out:

To: the little surveyor

I stood there laughing…Big John? Okay, big john it is. He just wanted to know how the local gendarme’ was treating me. I laughed and replied:

To: big john

“The big race is tomorrow…I’ll bet my life on it. Lol” and I hit send.

Not ten seconds later another message came through…

“Hey, you’re not getting yourself into any trouble are you?”

Reply:

To Big John:
From the little surveyor:

“Never, just a game of cat and mouse and is it fun!” (send)

“Well, be careful. We don’t want to have to bail you out for endangering the lives of others…especially the highway patrol.”

Reply:

“No sweat, no one is in any danger unless he tries to outrun me…then he’s the one that did it not me.” (send)

“Liz, just be careful.”

Reply:

“Will do, you worry too much. Bye!!!” (send)

Well, that was fun.

I guess I’ll go do my required reading before heading to my room. I think I’ll watch TV from there, no, I think I’ll read in there also. Why not just get ready for bed now that way I can just curl up and go to sleep when I’m ready to. This is like Christmas Eve and waiting for Santa Claus to come. You want to go to bed at three o’clock in the afternoon hoping it will get here faster.

Jimmy:

“Hey Michael, can I ask you if you know a Liz Parker and if she has any history with Max Evans of the Highway Patrol. He’s part of your team isn’t he?”

“Yeah, he is Mr. Jameson, why?”

“First off Michael, you have to call me Jimmy. Everyone calls me Jimmy and I have a list here of acquaintances with whom all of you guys grew up with in Roswell and it appears that this Liz Parker is listed as one of your wife’s friends.”

“Oh Jimmy, don’t ever be concerned about Maria spilling the beans to anyone about our program. She knows nothing about it…she does know that I’m undercover at the school and that I’ve hired two more people but she doesn’t even know who they are. She couldn’t tell anyone anything because she doesn’t know anything. As for Liz, yeah, she and Maria go all the way back to the diaper brigade. We all went to school together and Max and Liz dated for a while during our sophomore year but they had a bad falling out, over Kyle’s wife as a matter of fact, and Liz forbade any of us to mention Max’s name in her presence ever again. It was a great big misunderstanding and Maria and I almost broke up over it but as long as none of us tried to tell Liz or Maria what actually happened we were okay so we just left well enough alone. Is there some reason you’re concerned about Liz?”

“No Michael, nothing like that I just wanted to get all of these loose ends tied up and make sure nothing unforeseen happens”

“Well okay then. We haven’t seen Liz in almost two years. She and Maria used to talk to each other on the phone all of the time but since we left Roswell after our wedding things seemed to stop for some reason. I think Liz is living in L.A. At least she was the last I heard.”

“Fair enough Michael. You have a nice week-end and take care of that little wife of yours. I hear you’re expecting.”

“Yeah, about three months to go and I can’t wait…Maria is getting really bitchy about not being able to get comfortable in bed and she’s still got three more months. She’s really tiny and the bump is growing so I know she’s going to be impossible. But it will be worth it in the long run.”

“Yes it will Michael. Take care and good bye.”

“Good bye Jimmy.”

And we hung up. Well now, if that’s not one interesting piece of news…they actually dated each other ten years ago and she’s still pissed, that is interesting.

I head to the lap top I have in my briefcase and send a message off to John…it seems he and Liz have come up with some tricky little addresses for themselves…

To: big john

“Hey John, Evans and Parker actually dated each other in high school. They had a big falling out and haven’t spoken to each other since they were sophomores…how’s that grab ya! I hope this little fact doesn’t put a crimp in our crust.” (send)

And I turn the computer off and go to join my wife for some relaxation. I think, after the week I’ve had, I deserve it.

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 22 6/30/11

Post by mary mary »

Cardinal: Let's pump some air here, you have some great ideas! :D As for Maria knowing what happened, you are right...but the stubborn little genius has made it quite clear that she didn't want to hear about it and Maria just went along and humored her. Too bad really, but that's the way it was...kids!!!
As for Michael's concern over the DEA's phone call, well there are certain guidelines that were to be followed that Jimmy was ignoring...truthfully, Michael didn't want to be bothered with the man at that point... his contact and team leader was Max. You are right as usual. :wink:
Eve: You are certainly right about Liz being in love with Max...he's the only actual boyfriend she's ever had and she lost all faith in him 10 years ago. Let's see how this plays out! :D
Lizza: Yes, it's been two years since Liz and Maria have spoken to each other. Liz was busy working on her theses and Maria was busy planning a wedding. It will get better! :D
Natalie36: Oh you of little faith!!! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Nitpick23: You are so right about everything. Maria is only following Liz's orders...it was heartbreaking once upon a time but 10 years is a long time ago as far as Maria is concerned and she's merely following her friends orders in order to keep her friendship.
Carolyn: that race is slowly getting here as is the rain slowly getting there. If that weather pattern follows it's usual path you should be seeing it soon. :D
Ken: Glad you liked that little insert...I thought it would be fun. My son is always making up names for people and sometime he's really funny...so I thought I would give it a try as well. :wink:

*~*~*

Chapter: 22

Liz:

Saturday morning

Oh this is going to be so-o-o good! I’m so excited I might pee myself. “Get it together Liz, you don’t want to blow it now!” I tell myself as I head to the bathroom. I grab my underwear out of the top dresser drawer and groan as I look at my hair…God, what do I do to myself in my sleep? I must fight a thousand imaginary enemies, what a mess! I leave those thoughts behind me as I move on to more fun stuff…Max Evans. Oh he is going to eat my dust today…I can just feel it in my bones. Wooo-hoo! This is going to be great. I take my time brushing my teeth and flossing, just like mom taught me to do so many years ago and then I hop into the shower, it’s a quick shower, I am heading out to the desert to get dirty after all?

After I dry myself off I dress quickly and pull my wet hair into a loose pony tail as usual and head on out to the garage. That automatic door opener is truly a blessing, I really had to jump to catch that cord to pull the door down now it just opens and closes with the flick of the wrist…ahhhh, some technology is worth every penny.

After I get myself situated on my bike I leave the helmet off for a while…my hair just feels a little too wet to be sticking it into the helmet yet. The warm air will dry it off in no time…I really should have taken time to dry it but I’m just too excited. This is soooooo exhilarating.

Max:

It’s already 7:00 a.m. and I’m still dawdling around in my underwear trying to get my thoughts together. I wonder where the best place will be to wait for that little shit. Maybe I can get a patrol car to sit under my favorite cacti growth and I can sit along side undetected. Yeah, that’s a great idea. He doesn’t need to know who’s driving the car…he’ll just tempt whoever it is. I make a call into dispatch and tell Sophia that I want a patrol car at mile marker 25 on highway 10 at eight o’clock and she has the nerve to giggle as she says “over and out”. I shrug it off, they all know what’s up so why let it bother me. If it was someone else I’d be the same way, wouldn’t I?

I better get hopping if I want to be there by 8:00. “Look out kid, you’re going down today.” And I smile as I head into the bathroom with my steaming cup of coffee in my hand.

Liz:

God, look over there, I think that’s a truck out there where I saw those tracks the other day. I stop and take my camera out of my saddle bag, zoom in and start snapping pictures. As I look at the driver of the truck I can see that he is staring in my direction so I put the camera back and nonchalantly reach for a bottle of water, take a sip and put the water back…then I reach for my helmet that is strapped to the rear fender and put it on. I situate myself comfortably back onto my bike and take off toward the highway. I note the time on my watch…7:45. I’ll have to write all of this information down when I get home. I know the GPS coordinates are exactly the same as the other pictures so I don’t have to remember those numbers. I am truly excited now…my adrenaline is doing double duty today.

As I approach my favorite spot off the highway, as I now like to call this outcropping of cacti, I can see the highway patrol car and, wait…what’s that little bit of color on the other side? Could that be a dirt bike sitting there? Max Evans, you are just too sneaky for your own good…oh this is going to be fun.

I head toward the highway as I usually do, drive about a half mile along side of the road and cross over to the other side without even taking my usual trip down the asphalt…let’s get this show on the road!

I check my mirrors and sure enough, the other rider is rapidly gaining ground…I throw open the throttle and goose her up and let me tell you right now that my baby doesn’t disappoint. I take Max on a chase that would put any professional rider into a fit of pure pleasure. The wind whipping around me feels wonderful and as I look in my mirror I can see Max gaining. It’s time…I head to the spot I had picked yesterday morning, allowed Max to gain just a few more feet on me and then I take off at full throttle and when I see my spot I hit that little bump I had found when I walked the site and, like a leopard after it’s prey, I jump that river bed sailing. I lift my ass off that seat, turning the bike’s rear end, mid air, in an easterly direction and when I land in the soft dirt I hit the rear breaks and come to a screeching halt, throwing sand and dirt everywhere. When I look across the dried up river bed there stands Max Evans staring at me with a stance that supports an attitude of admiration and pure anger. I’m tempted to remove my helmet and give him a great big smile but instead I give him my usual salute before heading on out into the desert for some more surveillance. If the truck was there this morning who knows what else is going on. This is exhilarating and I am ready for anything.

Max:

Damn! That little shit did it again. I swear, that kid rides exactly like the one that competed with us as kids. I know It’s impossible that it’s the same person but it sure does look like him the way he sits that bike. I get on my bike and head back to where I left my trailer, it’s time to head on home and get some yard work done anyway. I’ve been sorely neglecting my home since this special project started to take shape and I owe it to my neighbors to do something about it soon.

I think I’ll give Kyle a call …maybe he knows something about that kid. So after I get my bike loaded and tied down I get into my rig, put my cell on speaker and give my friend a call.

“Hey Kyle…do you remember that kid that used to win all of those motocross races we were in so many years ago? What was his name? I have a kid using the highway on a dirt bike and I swear to God this kid rides just like that competitor that used to take us all down like we were standing still and this one has an occasional partner in crime. I’ve only seen that kind of riding once before and I never dreamed I would see it again. I swear, it’s either a sibling or a reincarnation because only one person could ride like that.”

“Max, you are too funny man! That wasn’t a guy that was Liz Parker…you remember? The science geek, the one you dated for awhile. Shit man, you stole her from me our sophomore year. Wasn’t she your lab partner for awhile? You mean you didn’t know she rode motocross? Shit, she outrode everybody man.”

“You’re shittin’ me Kyle. Liz Parker was …oh man. What in the hell is she doing riding in that remote area of the desert alone? I can’t believe it, do you have any idea what she’s doing these days?”

“No, no I don’t…but I can ask my dad if he knows. He still goes into the Crash everyday for his coffee and he and Mr. Parker seem to be friendly enough. I’ll see what I can find out for you. So she’s riding the desert with an occasional buddy…interesting. You know what Max…her mom rides too.”

“NO ?!!!? The two of them? You know, I thought I saw her mom a couple of times here in Columbus and shrugged it off…damn. Hey, I’ll talk to you later Kyle…my love to Tess.”

“Yeah Max. Take care buddy and Max, stay out of trouble.” And Kyle chuckled, he’s heard about all of the towing that’s been going on lately over at the highway patrol.

“Yeah Kyle, you too, and shut up!” Max grinned as he hung up the phone…Liz Parker? I’ll be damned. I don’t know if I want to kill her or kiss her.

Liz:

I immediately give John a call to make sure he’s home before doing anything else…

“John, I was out riding this morning and a truck was sitting right where I took the pictures the other day. The coordinates are the same and I stopped and took some pictures…watch your e-mail, I think I was able to capture a license plate before the driver started looking my way. I didn’t have my helmet on at the time so I grabbed it and took off. I didn’t stick around for any more activity but I sure did want to. I know I can’t blow my cover but it would have been great to have seen what came in to meet it.”

“Liz, you did the right thing. We’ll let the experts deal with that kind of activity, your job is to take pictures, gather data and send it to us. Don’t you go putting yourself in harms way…that’s not why you’re there and you know it so quit thinking like that. What were you doing out in the desert at that hour anyway. You usually time stamp your work after 10:00?”

“You’re too observant. I was just out for a ride.”

“Oh yeah, and would that ride have anything to do with one officer Evans?”

“What do you mean?”

“Come on Liz…he’s been hauled out of the desert twice now with a tow truck while trying to catch some teenage boy on a dirt bike riding down the highway and then saluting him when he buries himself. Does that sound familiar? Every law enforcement department in New Mexico and the DEA knows about him and this “kid”.”

“Really? He thinks I’m some teenageboy. That’s just too funny.”

“No Liz, it’s not funny. You’re keeping him from doing his job by making a mockery of him on that bike of yours.”

“Just a minute John! I’m not making a mockery of anyone. Max Evans knows better than to drive a highway patrol car into that desert without knowing the terrain he’s in, that terrain is too unstable. He grew up in that desert and he knows better…there are too many soft spots and if you’re not used to the area you can damned easily get buried. He’s doing this to himself…and he’s providing me with one helluva lot of entertainment in the meantime.” I start to get a little testy, and with my boss yet!

“What did you do to him today?”

“Not much. The dumb ass hid behind a patrol car like some little kid and I took him for the ride of his life and left him standing there eating my dust so to speak.”

“What do you mean Liz?”

“I jumped a dried up river bed that I scoped out yesterday. I knew he wouldn’t be able to let it rest and I was right. I was ready for him…the big dumb ass.”

“This sounds personal Liz…is it?”

“Nope, just some fun. It gets lonesome out there alone…it’s nice to have someone to play with.”

“Well, you be careful and I’ll be looking for the pictures. Watch yourself, what are you going to do with yourself the rest of the day?”

“After I dust and vacuum and do my laundry I think I’ll go into town and rent a couple of movies. Mom gets back tomorrow and I don’t want to mess up her favorite project for her.”

“Her favorite project?”

“Yeah, the house. Although I must admit, the decorating class does sound like it’s going to be fun. Not as much as the Genetics class would have been but this is okay. There have been a lot of new developments in the field of genetics in the past two years and it’s been three years since I’ve had any classes on the subject so I do want to take some refresher courses but I’ll survive the interior decorating and besides, mom’s as happy as a clam.”

“Fair enough Liz, tell her hello for me and take it easy on Max.”

“Yeah, whatever, you guys all stick together…you’re just no fun John.”

“Yeah, whatever…good bye Liz.” Repeating her…

“Tell Trevor and Joey hi for me…goodbye.”

Well that was fun…now for this laundry and dusting that needs to be done. God, this place is big!

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 23 7/1/11

Post by mary mary »

Eve: Thank you so much, I am so glad you are enjoying this! :D
Lizza: So nice to hear from you and here's your next part...enjoy! :D
Carolyn: This close encounter is getting closer by the minute!!! :lol:
XAF RU208: Well, at least they know who each other is...now all they have to do is face each other up close and personal! :D
Cardinal: Be patient...I was very civil, I think. Anyway, the meeting is on the horizon I hope you like my choice. :wink:

Chapter: 23

A short chapter, but here it is!!!

Liz:

Well, after my exhilarating ride yesterday and finishing up the household chores before going to bed I think I’ll treat myself to some breakfast out today…so I’ll just do my morning ritual, change my clothes, make my bed and head on over the little café on the outskirts of town. The B&B is awfully nice but Doug might be there and I really don’t feel like talking to him today. It truly is a beautiful morning…church first, mom will definitely ask me if I went and I don’t want to lie to her so I’ll just go to the 9:00 o’clock service then I’ll eat. I guess I’ll wear something besides jeans today, damn…they are so comfortable.

I make my way into the strange atmosphere of the old Spanish style mission and find a seat fairly close to the back without being in the very last row. I didn’t want it to be so obvious that I was looking to make a quick get away and I did manage a nice smile for the person sitting next to me. I don’t like being surrounded by people, I don’t know why, it makes me extremely uncomfortable but I manage to sit through the service and again I smile at a whole bunch of people as I leave the church and make my way to my car. As I climb into the front seat I can swear that I see a familiar face watching me from across the street sitting in a really nice Range Rover. Nah…that can’t be him, it’s another look alike. I convince myself that Max Evans is not in that SUV as I pull out of the parking lot onto the busy city street and take off for my destination. I look into my rear view mirror and that damned vehicle is following me. SHIT!!!

Max:

I answer the phone on the third ring…damn, can’t a man go to the bathroom in peace anymore.

“Hello” I all but shout at the poor caller.

“Maxie? What’s up my man?”

“Kyle, I told you to lose the damned Maxie…what the hell are you doing up this early on a Sunday morning anyway.”

“ Well, aren’t you a cheerful piece of work. Tess just got home and we’re going to breakfast before she settles in for the day. Night shift is a bitch you know?”

“Yeah, I know…all too well. What’s up anyway?”

“Well, I’ve got some news for you. It seems Nancy Parker bought a place in Columbus and Liz is staying there while she takes some graduate classes out at Las Cruces. How’s that grab ya’ ol’ buddy? All sewed up nice and pretty for ya’ there, isn’t it. Now you know why she’s riding in the desert…she’s bored.

Her mom comes in on Sundays and heads back out on Wednesdays. It seems her mom got to the class schedules before Liz did and signed both of them up for some, get this, “Interior decorating” classes. Jeff told dad that Nancy finally figured out too late that she screwed up because Liz was really disappointed and truly wanted to take some science classes and she’s already got a doctorate so Nancy thought she’d get her to take some fun classes.

Jeff told dad that Nancy is the one that wants to take the decorating classes because the house she bought is really big and she wants to fix it up really nice since she’s never owned a house before. Jeff seemed really excited about the whole deal according to dad. As a matter of fact, dad helped Jeff move Liz’s bedroom stuff down there last week.

Dad said that Jeff said that Liz wanted to know what in the hell they were going to do with that big place and Jeff told her “fill it up with grandchildren.” Liz wanted to know if he had a stash of kids somewhere that she didn’t know about because she sure as hell wasn’t planning on filling their house up with grand children. Dad said they both laughed at that one.

So there you have it, that’s the story on Liz Parker. She is in Columbus and going to school in Las Cruces. Do with it what you will Maxie now I have to go take my beautiful wife to breakfast.”

“Hey Kyle, thanks and lose the damned Maxie will ya?” Kyle laughed at me as we hung up…he really was getting on my nerves with this Maxie shit.

I made my way over to my computer and logged into ‘county records’ to see what the hell was going on and there in black and white was the newest deeds recorded. Jeff, Nancy and Elizabeth Parker, co-owners of , OH.MY.GOD., the largest estate in the city of Columbus. It belonged to our late Governor and after his death it was deeded back to the city because none of his heirs wanted the big white elephant. They couldn’t give that place away and Nancy Parker bought it. No wonder Liz told Jeff she wasn’t planning on filling that place with kids. Who the hell would? Wow. As I continued to look at the pictures of the interior of the hacienda, as it was called, I remember that Nancy and Jeff were sticklers for going to church on Sunday so I immediately called up churches and found the right one. 9:00 a.m., boy I’d have to hurry if I wanted to make that service and I shut down my computer and rushed to get dressed.

I sat in the back of the church and spotted Liz immediately. She was sitting about six rows up from me on the end and looking like she couldn’t wait to get out of there. As I recall, she never wanted to go to movies because she felt like she couldn’t breathe with all of the people around her. We would always sit next to the aisle, her on the outside. I always felt like a terrible date by sitting in the second seat from the aisle but that was the only way to get her to go…she hasn’t changed a bit…well in some ways she has. She does look older than 16…maybe 19 now. Not much older than that though, even if she is 26 and she’s just as beautiful as she ever was…maybe more so.

I am one of the first people to leave the church after services and I practically run to my SUV before she can see me. I don’t know why I’m sneaking around like this, I should just go up to her and say hello. Hell, all she can do is ignore me, or slap the shit out of me like she threatened to do in high school if I ever talked to her again. That was a very long time ago, let’s hope time has healed old wounds. She makes her way to a nice, fairly new, white Honda and gets in. It looks like she’s noticed me but she’s not acknowledging me in any way. Maybe not. I start my engine and wait for her to do the same. When she pulls out of the parking lot I pull out, make a u-turn and follow at a comfortable distance hoping that she isn’t headed home. I don’t want this to look like I’m stalking her or anything…which I am, stalking her that is. Not a good thing Max, I tell myself.

Well hell, good for me…she’s pulling into Mama’s Diner. Great pancakes and the hash browns are to die for. Good, maybe we can have breakfast together. I pull in to a parking spot across the street and make it to the door just in time to greet the prettiest little lady on earth. There I’ve admitted it…I still want her, no surprise there folks.

“Hey Liz.”

I can see many emotions crossing her face and I can tell she’s not sure whether she wants to stay or run. She just stands there looking at me and then she gets a very sad expression on her face and I want to grab her into my arms and hold her until the look goes away.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 24 7/2/11

Post by mary mary »

Eve: Well the house was certainly a surprise, no? As for the meeting, let's just see how our little genius handles it...adult or revert back to a kid? :wink:
Nitpick23: Good morning! Have you had some coffee? :D Are you ready for this? Oh, and Maria and Michael live in Las Cruces, two hours away...she and Michael are both teachers at the local high school.
mddk: The neat thing about this story is that it is complete so you get daily updates...as for the story, you either like fluff or you don't, I don't do really bad stress very well. Lived it too much to write it. :D
Carolyn: Guess who stayed home this week-end. Have a whole bunch of doctor appointments starting the fifth so here I am...aren't you glad??? :D :D :lol:
Cardinal: Yeah, slows a good word for it. It just takes some people longer than others to get their shi! together!!! And when they do then they have to figure out what to do with it! :roll: :lol: :D
Lizza: Hey sweetie, here's your next one! :D
XAF RU208: I like your second thought...let the fun begin indeed! :D

*~*~*

Chapter: 24

Liz:

Damn! I knew that was him and now he’s standing in the doorway to the diner and I just want to cry. I’ve dreamt of this moment…the moment where I could just belt him in the mouth and walk off, but I can’t. I don’t know what I want to do. I have to look at him, there’s no way out of it…when our eyes meet all I see is sadness in his eyes. Why is that? Is he sad because I’m here and he has to look at me, is he sad because, hell, I don’t know. Why does he look so sad?

“Hello Max.” Is about all I’m capable of right now. It was easy to show off on the bike but there’s nothing between us now, I have nothing to say to him face to face…the game is over people and I’m not so sure I like it.

“Are you going in for some breakfast? Would you mind if I joined you? The food here is excellent and I’d be glad to recommend something. I can introduce you to the waitresses and waiters if you would like.”

He’s trying too damned hard and the smart-ass in me won’t let it ride either…

“I’ll just bet you can Max, introduce me to the waitresses that is.”

“Ah, come on Liz…why should we eat alone. Let’s have breakfast and catch up.”

“Fine Max…let’s catch up. How is the Highway Patrol these days anyway?”

And we were seated in no time. It seems we just made it because when I looked up I noticed a whole line of cars pulling into the parking lot. This must be the town’s meeting hall for Sunday morning.

Max looked at me and chuckled…

“Nice Liz…the highway patrol is great. I handle all of Hidalgo county. What are you doing in Columbus anyway?”

“Oh, I was going to do some graduate work until mom found this huge, and I do mean huge, hacienda to buy with all the bells and whistles. I made the mistake of bringing her with me to look for a small house to rent while I took some classes over at Las Cruces, rent is cheaper over here, and she finds this place and falls in love. It’s a beautiful piece of property but I have no idea why in the name of all that’s holy she bought it, but she seems perfectly at home in the place and can’t wait to have it full of grandchildren. I asked her if I had some brothers and sisters that I didn’t know about and she just laughed at me. So what about you? Any little ones running around your house Max?”

I figured it was time to bury the hatchet on old wounds and to get on with my life. The ride in the desert gave me all the satisfaction I needed... for a while.

“No, no wife and definitely no babies. Just wrapped up in my job and getting settled in with the new duties that go along with it.”

“Oh, what new duties would that be?”

“Well, I just made Captain and it seems there’s a lot more to it than I thought, aside from the fact that I’ve had to be hauled out of the desert a couple of times in the past week and a half.”

“Oh, why’s that?” And I had to giggle…

“Well, some little shit has baited me with some off road motorcycle tricks that has left me sitting high and dry so to speak.” And he chuckled this time.

“Little shit huh? What’s this little shit look like?”

“Actually, about your size and build.”

“Well, how about that.” I’m not about to tell him it’s me and he’s not about to tell me he knows so we can just keep playing at this game all morning.

“Have you heard from Michael or Maria lately?” I ask.

“Yes, as a matter of fact I have. You do know that they live in Las Cruces now don’t you? And Kyle and Tess live in Tularosa.”

“No, I didn’t know that. How long have they lived there. I haven’t spoken to Maria in what seems like forever.”

“They moved there shortly after their wedding. They’ve both taken jobs at one of he high schools there. Michael teaches art and Maria teaches music. Tess is an R.N. and Kyle is a Sheriff and is based in Tularosa. They all seem pretty happy with life. Isabelle and Alex are still in Roswell. Izzy passed the bar exams and is working for dad and Alex started his own computer service and based it in Roswell. I guess it doesn’t matter where you live when it comes to computers.”

“No, I guess not. It’s good to hear everyone is happy. Do Maria and Michael have any little ones yet?”

“No, Maria is expecting though…she’s driving Michael nuts but he loves it.”

“Oh I’ll bet. I can just see her now, I’ll bet she’s as cute as can be. I will look her up next week and maybe she can meet mom and me for lunch on some Monday or Tuesday.”

“Monday or Tuesday?”

“Oh yeah, that’s the two days mom and I go to school. Mom signed us up for interior decorating classes, unbeknownst to me, and I know mom would love to see her too. It’s fun going to school with her, mom that is. I never thought, in a million years, that I would be going to a university with my mother let alone taking interior decorating classes but she is a kick and we’re having fun. I haven’t looked at so many paint colors in my life as I have in the last couple of weeks. I swear the names they come up with for these colors are insane. You can’t just have brown or green…oh no, it’s chocolate brown, cocoa brown, coffee brown, brown tarnish and the list goes on forever. And my mother, my mother who I love, is driving me insane with all of these things.”

Max is laughing at me now folks…he has a strange look on his face and I would like to know what he’s thinking because it doesn’t look good.

“Liz, will you go out to dinner with me?”

“When?” It’s the only answer I had…hell yes is what I wanted to say.

Now he starts to stutter…

“Well, when are you free?”

“Not Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. Those are the nights mom is here and I don’t want to leave her alone. You can come over to the ‘hacienda’ for dinner if you’d like. I cook on Sunday night but mom cooks on Monday and Tuesday and I would most definitely choose Monday or Tuesday if I was you.”

Now he’s chuckling…

“Can’t you cook Liz?”

“Well, it’s like this. I’ve been gone from home since I was eighteen, that’s eight years ago and 6 of those eight were spent in school and the others, actually year and a half, were spent moving around and working, so, although I can throw a hot dog into a pot or the microwave I really prefer to eat someone else’s cooking.”

“Well, if you want to I can help you fix dinner for your mom.” He seems so damned sincere…why is he doing this?

“Well, if that’s what you want to do Max tell me what you want to fix and I’ll stop at the store and get the makings.”

“No, that won’t be necessary. I’ll go home and change, stop at the store and come by and fix the dinner myself. What time will you be home and what time do you expect your mom.”

“Well, I have a little chore to do after I get home so how about five or so. I should be back by then. Do you need the address…it’s not hard to find Max, and if you’ve lived here very long I’m sure you know where the biggest place in this town is located.”

“Yes Liz, yes I do. And thank you.”

“For what?”

“For being civil” And he started to laugh and so did I. I guess he wasn’t sure what to expect from me any more than I was of him. Oh well, it’s time to get over it just like everyone said.

Max:

God, I’m so glad that went well…I had no idea how this was going to play out but it went a whole lot better than I anticipated. I wonder what chore Liz has to do…oh well, it’s none of my business.

I’m in the super market right now and I haven’t got a stinking clue as to what to fix for dinner. Me and my big mouth…Stauffer’s, Hungry Man, and Marie Callender and I are all pretty good friends so what do I do now. I ring the bell for the butcher and he pokes his head through the door of the refrigerated section of the meat department. I tell him my dilemma and he laughs and sells me a pot roast complete with written instructions that include all of the ingredients I’ll need.

I buy all of the stuff in the recipe and a nice bottle of red wine and head on home after stopping at Sears and getting a crock pot. The recipe calls for a crock pot. I sit myself down at the kitchen table and start to read my recipe when my phone rings…it’s Jimmy.

“Hey Max, are you home?”

“Yeah Jimmy, what’s up?”

“I just wondered if you got stuck in any ditches lately?”

“No as a matter of fact I haven’t although I did take my dirt bike out to the desert yesterday and had me a nice long ride and got left standing in the wind as my little brat rode off as usual. Why?”

“Oh nothing…what are you up to now? Can you talk a minute?”

“As a matter of fact Jimmy, I’ve got plans for this evening and I need to get busy with the prep work so if you just want to shoot the shit and give me a hard time can we just table it until tomorrow?”

“Oh, what kind of plans?”

“You’re awfully nosey for someone so far away. If you must know I’m studying a cook book because I promised to cook dinner for a young lady and I don’t know how to cook so that should make your day.”

“Christ Max, do you do anything easy?”

“Not if it’ll get me what I want.”

“What are you going to fix?”

“Pot Roast.”

“Well, it’s pretty hard to screw up beef Max. What I had in mind can wait until tomorrow…you go ahead and get back to your studies. I think you’re going to need them.”

“Thanks…it doesn’t look so hard so far.”

“Nah, it really isn’t…go the simple route Max and you’ll have it made.”

“Will do. Talk to you tomorrow.”

After Jimmy hung up I picked up the recipe again and I just as I got down to where I was before the phone rings again…

It’s Isabelle.

“Hey Izzy…what’s up?”

“Max, where have you been. I tried to reach you earlier but you weren’t answering any of your phones?”

“Did something happen, is everyone okay?”

“Of course everyone is okay…why wouldn’t they be?”

“Oh, I don’t know…I’m getting ragged on for not answering my phone so I can only assume that something terrible has happened otherwise you would have left me a message and gotten on with your life.”

“Well quit being such an ass Max…nothing is wrong I just wanted to see how you were doing. So how are you doing and where were you?”

“I’m doing fine Isabelle and where I was is none of your business.” That should shut her up for a minute, if I’m lucky!

“Well, I’m glad you’re fine. I’ll call another time to see how you are, when you are in a more civilized mood.”

“Good, talk to you later Isabelle.” And we rung off. I wasn’t in the mood for her prattle today…life was too good… she does this all of the time. All of her friends must be away or something and it’s low man on the totem pole, me.

Back to my recipe…by the time I get to Liz’s I will be an expert at pot roast.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 25 7/4/11

Post by mary mary »

Cardinal: Yes it is pretty hard to screw up pot roast, my favorite is the carrots! As for Jimmy, I think he's just being plain nosy right now and the reason for the big mix-up when they were kids...well that comes out in the very last chapter, when Liz is finally secure enough to accept the story that everyone knows but her...poor baby! :wink:
Carolyn: Yeah, I thought the meeting went well and thanks for the well wishes...I may need them.
XAF RU208: Hope the weather was good for your outing...as for the kids, well...they're moving right along here.
nitpick23: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry!
Eve: Thank you...and I love pot roast too!!! :D
Ken: Max at least makes it to the border check everyday to get the cam-corder tapes from his special guys and I'm sure he makes time for some patrol shifts as well. He seems like and outdoors person also.

Dinner time!

*~*~*

Chapter: 25

Liz:

Well, you did it Liz…you went and allowed him back into your life, you’re either the biggest fool on earth or the most forgiving. What the hell happened to slapping the shit out of him, huh? Well, at least he’s bringing dinner, you can eat your mac and cheese tomorrow… Kraft certainly won’t mind and that chunky applesauce will certainly keep, God knows how long it’s been sitting on the shelf in the market.

Well, if I’m going to ride out to that spot where I saw the truck yesterday morning I’d better get hopping. Damn, there’s my company phone going off, who wants to talk to me on Sunday morning anyway.

“Hello…”

“Good morning Liz, or is it afternoon?”

“Good morning director, what has you up on Sunday morning?” What the hell did I do now?

“Oh nothing much really…I just wanted to touch base with you on those pictures you sent to John last night. Do you have anything more on the subject?”

“Not yet. I just got in from church and was going to head out right now to have another look. I was told not to approach anyone so I just took my pictures and ran. Is that wrong…should I have investigated the guy in the truck?”

“No! My God NO! You did the right thing, I just wondered if there was anymore data. Well, I’ll let you get to it then and be careful.”

“Oh, you can count on that. Would you prefer me to fax you copies of the pictures I take rather than sending them to John?”

“No, sending them to John is best. We don’t want to spoil the set up we’ve got going. Have you seen your patrol car around recently?”

Aha, that’s why he’s calling…he’s not shitting me one bit.

“As a matter of fact I saw one yesterday while I was out but he didn’t follow me so I guess it was a different driver. Why?”

“Just curious. Well, again, take care of yourself and be careful Liz.”

“Oh I will…have a good Sunday.” And we hung up. That sneaky Pete…be careful. Bullshit, he wants to know if I’m behaving myself. Damn…I should have told him I was having dinner with the “fuzz”, that would’ve shut him up. I’d better get going if I want to be back home in time to greet Max.

I’m standing here looking at the newest tire tracks and looking around for some indication of another transport somewhere and there isn’t any sign of anything else anywhere. What in the hell is that truck doing…there’s not another track in sight, not even a footprint. They’re lifting whatever the hell it is out of the truck bed…they aren’t even landing, but there’s no indication of wind blown sand anywhere either. I need to get these off to John ASAP.

I crank my baby over and take off across the desert like the wind and I notice a vehicle out of the corner of my eye. It’s not the truck I saw yesterday and it certainly isn’t anything I’ve seen before. I hit the throttle as hard as I can and head straight for the highway. I hope to hell the highway patrol is there now…I’ll ride right up to the turkey and turn myself in if I have to. And as I head toward the highway I look back and see the other vehicle turn and head in the opposite direction. I know now that I’m being watched, this is not good. I’d better get my ass home while I still have one to get home and I turn and high tail it out of there.

It’s 4:00 p.m. right on the nose and I am out of the shower and drying my hair for the second time today, I think I’ll let it hang loose for a change and I reach over and turn on the curling iron. I put on a nice pair of rose colored walking shorts and a matching t-shirt while the curling iron is heating up and then do my hair in some nice waves. When I’m satisfied with the way I look, not bad if I do say so myself, I head out to the dining room where I start to take some of grandma Claudia’s china out of the china cupboard to set the table. Dad brought some boxes with him when he and Jim came down and Mom has the old china cupboard polished to a beautiful shine and everything looks wonderful. Since I don’t know what we’re having for dinner I just take out the plates and the silverware. I’ll finish up when Max gets here. I find some candles and put grandma’s crystal candle holders on the table and smile. They bring back so many good memories…even the one where Max was with me when she died. He was so kind to me that night and I’ll never forget it. Just as I am ready to put the plates on the table the phone rings…

“Hello?” It’s the house phone so it has to be mom…

“Hey sweetie. I’m going to stay in Roswell tonight and I’ll meet you at school tomorrow okay. Your dad and I are meeting up with some friends.”

What a crock…but go for it mom … and now the door bell is ringing. I open the front door and there stands Max Evans in all his glory carrying a crock pot and two grocery bags…

“Mom, hold on a second okay.”

I stick the phone in my pocket and I grab the crock pot out of Max’s hand and nod my head to follow me to the kitchen, which you can see once past the foyer but he doesn’t know that. I sit the crock pot down and motion for Max to set the stuff down anywhere and grab the phone again.

“Okay, you say you have plans with friends? Mom, that’s bullshit. You don’t want to leave dad til you absolutely have to, since when do you lie in order to spend time with your husband. Look…I’ll see you tomorrow in Las Cruces and we’ll talk about planning a lunch with Maria, okay?”

“Maria…does she live in Las Cruces?”

“Yes she does mom, now I have to go.”

“Go? Go where?”

“Mom, I have company so I have to go.”

“What company do you have Elizabeth Parker?”

“Max Evans company, that’s what company now you go make out with dad and I’ll eat the dinner Max brought over for the three of us.”

“Oh…well you have a good time Liz and be good.” And my mother laughed.

Well two can play this game Mrs. Parker!!!

“Oh mom, I’m always good.” And I hung up on her.

I look over at Max and he’s standing up against the kitchen counter with a pot holder in his hand grinning like the cat that ate the canary…

“So, I take it mom’s not coming home tonight?”

“No, some lame excuse about having company. Oh well, I kind of figured that this might happen. She wants to be here but she misses dad so much…it’s like her other half is missing when he’s not around.”

“I see. Well we still have about another hour before this is ready but we can get the bread and salad ready and put it in the fridge if you want.”

“Sure…I’ll help. Maybe you can give me an idea on what serving pieces to get out of the china cupboard too. I only took out plates because I didn’t know what you were fixing.”

“Actually, it’s pot roast with all of the veges right in it so why don’t we just serve it out of the crock pot. It’ll stay warm that way and we can serve the salads on salad plates so that leaves a bread basket. What do you say?”

“I say that works for me. So, would you like to see this place. It’s an awesome journey.”

“Yeah, I’d love to.”

So I take Max over to mom and dad’s suite of rooms first and ignore the computer room all together. I think Max would know that the setup in there was a little more than a home office so I just left that door closed, like it’s a closet or something. Then we head to the other end of the house with all of the extra bedroom suites. I explain to him that we found all of this furniture in the guest house and mom is waiting until we finish our ‘decorating’ classes before doing anything with it. “She’s got color swatches everywhere.” And Max laughs… it was contagious and I laugh right along with him.

After we finish the main house we head on out the back door to the huge veranda that overlooks the pool, which I had lit earlier by the way, and then wind around to the guest house which is toward the rear of the property. It’s actually pretty private with all of the large fences and bushes hiding it from everything but the pool. Max seems very impressed with the entire place and why wouldn’t he be? God, it is immense and truly beautiful.

“My God Liz…they still live over the crash don’t they?” Max’s voice sounds like he’s awestruck.

“Yeah they do…I grew up over a diner and now look what they have. It borders on insanity. I still have trouble believing she bought it.”

“How the hell did you find it?”

“You aren’t going to believe this but, do you remember Doug Shellow?”

Max thought for a minute and then laughed…

“The name seems to ring a bell, didn’t you have a blind date with him once.” Max acted as though he had no idea who Doug was…

So I told Max the whole story and his reply was….

“Sheeeze…it must have cost a fortune!”

“No Max, it cost 450 thousand dollars…they used the royalties from Grandma’s book to buy it.”

“Four hundred and fifty thousand dollars is a lot of money but this place would be worth ten times that in another state, hell in another part of this state.”

“I know…isn’t it ridiculous. It seems the town of Columbus was going to tear it down and build condo’s or some damned thing here if it didn’t soon sell and then along comes my mother. Two people Max, two people who are almost ready to retire buy a place like this. I’m still shaking my head but you know what? I like it too.”

“Well what’s not to like, a person would have to be out of their mind to not like it. And you know what the neat part of it is…it’s homey looking. It really is huge but it’s very unpretentious.”

“I know…but I think that’s mom’s touch. She has a way of making everyone feel at home.” Liz spoke of her mother with a hint of admiration…” So how are your folks?”

And so the evening progressed on through dinner, which was delicious by the way, and we both took dishes to the kitchen together, I wanted to hand wash them later but Max insisted on helping so I let him.

“You know Liz, I think I need to explain something to you.”

And I stiffened, whatever it was it had better not be anything that goes back ten years. I don’t want to hear it, I want to move forward. I’m 26 years old and I want to move on with my life and I know, at this particular time in my life that the man I want to move on with is standing next to me. That sounds dumb as hell, even to me, but it’s like I have been waiting for him all of these years and I don’t want him upsetting me. Today has been wonderful, except for that scary episode in the desert, and I don’t want anything to screw it up. I am so glad my mom stayed in Roswell tonight…this just might be my lucky night and I have waited my whole life for it.

“No Max, don’t explain anything to me. I don’t want to hear anything about the past…it’s the past so let’s just leave it there, okay?”

I could see Max’s shoulders relax a little, I didn’t know he was tensed up, he doesn’t seem tense.

“Okay Liz…we’ll just take it from today forward.”

And we silently loaded the dishwasher with the non china and silver items, cleaned up the leftovers and stored them in the refrigerator. I washed out Max’s crock pot for him and blew the candles out in the dining room.

“Would you like to watch a movie or something Max. I don’t have many DVDs but I did rent a couple of romantic comedies last night that I haven’t watched yet. Are you interested?”

“Yeah, sure I am. Where do you keep the remote? I don’t see it anywhere.” Max said as he looked around the room.

“Oh, check the top of the mantle. I was looking at the color of the bricks last night while doing my home work. I can’t believe I’m checking out rock colors.” I tell him as I sit down on the couch across from the TV.

“Is that what you’ve been doing out in the desert? Checking out colors of rocks?”

“What do you mean, out in the desert?” And I look at him all innocent eyed and he chuckles and grabs me closer to him on the couch.

“Okay “Parker”, if that’s the way you want to play it.” And he kisses the top of my head just like he used to do ten years ago and I hear a moan come from him, way down deep and I had to know…

I turn and looked at those gorgeous eyes staring back at me and yes, ladies and gentlemen, THIS.IS.MY.LUCKY.NIGHT. THE NIGHT I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR MY WHOLE LIFE AND IT’S GOING TO BE ONE OF THE BEST NIGHTS OF MY LIFE…I KNOW IT, THERE’S NO DENYING IT, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL!!!!!

I turned my body into his, chest to chest and his kisses were as wonderful as I remembered, they should package his kisses up and sell them on e-bay! I couldn’t keep my hands off him and I could feel that he was just as excited as I was! And then the damned phone rings! SHIT!

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 26 7/4/11

Post by mary mary »

Cardinal:My sentiments exactly... :)
Natalie36: So you like pot roast ala Max too? :wink:
Lizza: You missed the last chapter where Max asked the butcher how to make something...it just happened he followed the directions very well. :D
Eve: Yes, Liz is in danger regardless of what her team leader seems to think. These people don't mess around when they think their livelihood is in jeopardy. As for the kiss, well she just couldn't help herself. :wink: :P :oops:
Carolyn: Well, let's just see who's calling on a Sunday evening. Everyone should have at least one day off...no? :roll:
*~*~*

Okay everyone...Cardinal sent me a song to listen to and felt it applied to this story so well. I agree with him and I was going to copy the words and print them out for you but I think it would be better if you listened to it. It's beautiful. It's called "I'm Innocent" by Billy Joel. I copied it to my I-pod I liked it so well and tomorrow, after I leave my appointment and I'm out and about, I intend to buy the entire CD. So thank you Steve and I hope this works for all of you. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PThPI1kLGU8

*~*~*

One more thing...there is an adult part in this chapter so be forewarned.

*~*~*

Chapter: 26

Max:

Ah for God’s sake. NOT NOW!…I mumble into Liz’s mouth…”don’t answer it baby, please… don’t answer it!”

“I have to Max, it’s my job.”

And I grab the damned private cell phone and practically yell into it…

“WHAT!”

“Well, aren’t we testy? What’s got your panties in a wad?”

“I don’t have time for this John, what do you need at this hour?”

“Just checking in Liz. Is everything alright?” I look over at Max who is scratching the back of his ear and I smile…

“Everything WAS alright…everything is alright and if that’s all you need good night.”

“Shit Liz, the way you’re acting you’d think I was interrupting something.”

“You are, now good night. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

And I hung up on my boss…Max looked at me for a second and I could tell he wanted to ask but wasn’t sure if he should so I told him…

“My boss!”

“Christ, I’m glad I’m not your boss.”

“Well, he shouldn’t be calling me on Sunday night…Sunday night belongs to me.”

And then Max’s phone started ringing. I noticed that it was the same damn type of phone that I just hung up.

“YO!!!...this had better be good.”

“Max, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong. I thought we settled our business earlier is something up?”

“No, nothing new, just checking in before I head to bed. Are you alright?”

“I was better than alright and if there’s nothing new to discuss I’ll talk to you in the morning…good night Jimmy.” And Max hung up on “JIMMY?” Noooo! It can’t be! We can’t be both working on the same project…those assholes. They suspect something.

“Who was that Max?”

“That was MY boss. I don’t know what the hell’s gotten into these people.” And I held up MY phone. Max just grinned, reached over and turned my phone off after turning off his. Let them talk to each other and we picked up where we left off...well not exactly, I grabbed Max by the wrist and led him back to my bedroom…we are undressed and making out in this great big king sized bed in no time flat without a chance in hell of being disturbed. Even if the house phone rings I won’t here it in here.

Max is holding me like I was his most precious possession in the world. He’s made love to every part of my body and I am returning as good as I’m getting with all of the fervor of the highest priced hooker on earth and I’m loving every minute of it. Those movies Maria used to swipe from her mother’s room certainly are paying off because I’m remembering things that I didn’t even know were still in my brain and Max is making me feel things and want things I didn’t even know existed and when it comes time to join our bodies Max reaches over to my nightstand and picks up a little foil package that I didn’t know was there and when he takes the condom out I reach for it and roll it down his huge manhood…and I do mean huge. I guess Max notices me looking at it and he has to ask..,

“Liz? Are you sure? We don’t have to do this.”

“Yes Max, yes we do… but will it fit?” He lets out a low growl and then he chuckles,

“Liz, I can assure you that it will fit.” and then he starts his slow entry.

Oh my, that hurts…I can’t let him know that, but it really hurts. I don’t think it’s going to fit and then he stops and looks at me.

“Liz, are you a virgin?”

“Mmmm-hmmm.”

“Oh God angel, why didn’t you tell me.” And he pulls out.

“Max, what are you doing? Why did you stop?”

“It’s alright sweetheart, just wait a minute.” And I watch Max wet his fingers in his mouth and rub it on the condom… not that I wasn’t dripping already, I could feel it running down me from all of the little orgasms I already had and it feels like buckets.

“Now, baby, I’m going back in and when you get uncomfortable you let me know okay, then we’ll wait until you get used to it.” And I nod and let him take over. I sure as hell don’t know what I’m doing that’s for sure.

And Max pushes into me slowly, I can feel every inch stretch to fit him and it wasn’t really painful but it didn’t feel all that great either.

“Just relax sweetheart, don’t worry about anything but what’s going to happen the next time. I’m not going to hurt you in anyway…and this time isn’t going to be half as good as the next time so let’s just get this time over with and we can do it again. I looked up into those beautiful honey eyes and I saw love…I really saw love and my heart leaped for joy because I knew I loved him as well. I always have, mom was right. And then it happened…I felt him stop and he looked down at me again..

“Are you ready?” I nodded yes and I felt a very slight pinching sensation and then a very full sensation. Max continued to push his way into me but most of the pain was now gone and I just felt full…of course I felt full, you should see the size of this sucker, sheese! And now he’s slowly rocking and pushing in and out of me and the sensation changes with each thrust. I can tell that Max is really holding onto his control as best he can but I can’t help him…then he reaches down between us and starts rubbing my clit and boy that is all she wrote. I start moving right along with him and it just gets better and better and soon the whole room is filled with moans and groans from both of us and just like that we both cum at the same time. When we settle down Max brings the sheet up over our bodies to ward off the chill from all the sweat and I look into those honey eyes of his and smile…

“God Max, if the second time is going to be better I don’t think I’ll live through it. That was awesome. Thank you.”

And he chuckles and kisses the top of my head as he squeezes me into a tight hug.

“You know I love you Liz Parker…I always have.”

“I love you too Max Evans…even when I thought I hated you I loved you.”

“Yeah, about that…”

And I kissed him…

“I asked you not to talk about it Max…let it go.”

“Okay, if that’s what you want. Now, are you ready for round two?”

“Are you kidding…we just got finished with round one…let me savor it for a minute or two Max…after all it was my very first ever.”

“Yeah, about that. Why did you wait so long…nobody waits Liz.” Max asked as he nuzzled my neck…oh that feels good!

“Well Max, I had to wait for the right man and I’m glad I did. I knew it would be good when the time was right.” I whispered as I rubbed circles along his breast bone…

And I got another kiss on top of the head and a big hug.

“Are you sleepy?” He asks in that low husky voice…I think it’s lower than usual right now.

“Yeah, a little, how about you? You are staying aren’t you?”

“If that’s what you want little one, I would love to.”

“Oh goody….goodnight Max.” And I stretch up from my resting place on his chest and give him a light peck on the cheek.

“Good night Liz, remember, I love you.”

“I love you too Max.” And I snuggle up and go to sleep. If I thought the sleep I had the first night here was good this one is going to be out of this world.

Max:

I can’t believe this day, I don’t think I’ve had a day this good since my sophomore year of high school…I wish she would let me explain what happened back then but she is so afraid that she’s going to be disappointed again that she’s hiding. That’s okay as long as she doesn’t bolt again and then that damned Jimmy calling when he did. Christ, that man is becoming a royal pain in the ass.

We talked this morning and he didn’t have anything important to say and those phones…those phones are exactly alike and Liz’s boss calling her on the same type of phone? Who does she work for anyway? I thought she was here to go to school… then she hangs up on the guy. Who the hell hangs up on their boss? They must be pretty tight for her to do that. Well, I know she’s not sleeping with anyone, that’s perfectly obvious. I can’t believe she’s never had a boyfriend that she’s felt comfortable enough to give herself to. That was a shock. A good shock but a shock just the same. Then there’s the rides in the desert…she’s not going to own up to those very easily, I wonder why. Surely she doesn’t think I’ll give her a citation, that’s absolutely ludicrous. No, it’s something else… and then she holds up the two phones…they are identical. I wonder? No, that’s just too bizarre. Kyle, Michael, me and Liz too? No…never!

Why would they have a doctor of science on the team…that doesn’t make sense. Although I really don’t know that she is a doctor of science…maybe she’s a doctor of criminology. That would work. I’ll have to ask her in the morning what her doctorate is in…maybe I’ll be able to figure things out better. I am just so happy to have her back in my life that I’m not going to do anything to rock this boat…so if she doesn’t want to talk about her job or anything else for that matter we won’t. We’ll leave our conversations to family, friends and sex. Sex is always good! I hug her closer and kiss her on the head again. I can’t believe this…its’ wonderful. Oh, and the pot roast? That was really good too, I’ll have to thank that butcher and the clerk at Sears for helping me choose the right pot.

Jimmy/John:

I pick up my phone to dial John when it suddenly starts to ring:

“Hello.”

“Hey, Jimmy you’re not in bed yet are you?”

Oh, can I play this for all it’s worth!

“Well, would it matter? You’re on the phone and so am I.”

“Well, I guess not. I called Liz earlier and she hung up on me. What do you think we should do about that?”

“Well, did you have something important to discuss with her?”

“No, nothing at all really…I just wanted to get a feel for her attitude toward this ‘cop’ that’s been trying to chase her down. She didn’t seem to want to talk about anything though…as a matter of fact, she was downright rude.”

“Well, if it makes you feel any better that “cop” as you put it practically hung up on me as well and you might find this interesting…she and that “cop” dated each other in high school. Neither have any significant others as near as I can figure and I still think we should bring them in on each other’s roles in this fact finding mission we’ve got going.”

“Let me talk to her again tomorrow and see what’s happening. We’ll see. If they keep running into each other maybe it would be wise.”

“I talked to her earlier today and it seems she almost got caught by another vehicle out in that damned desert. She seems to think she was being watched while she was checking out the spot where the truck was located. I don’t want her getting hurt.”

“Neither do I but she can handle herself on that thing. We both know that.”

“Yes, but can she handle herself against a long range rifle. Maybe we should pull her off for awhile.”

“No, let her alone and see where this goes. We’ll have to put Max on the alert in light of this new information and maybe he can advise us of some evasive actions to take.”

“Fine, but keep the rest of his team out of it for now.”

“Will do…and good night. Talk to you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, good night”

And the two men hung up.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad) ch. 27 7/5/11

Post by mary mary »

Lizza: I'm so glad you liked the chapter...but Lizza, there really are a lot of people out there who don't view sex as an indoor sport...honest. :)
Eve: Yeah, this is something I'm really not comfortable writing but I guess it turned out okay, without going into a lot of detail. I think the bosses are really pushy calling on Sunday night but they are calling the shots I guess. :roll: Personally, in my younger days,I would have let the damned thing ring. 8)
Natalie36: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought you'd like it... :P :P :P
Carolyn: Yep, those bosses are something else...and as for knowing what happened in the past, well it's coming to light soon, I promise. Before the story is over we will find out... :wink:
Cardinal: I think they should let them know who their working for...Liz needs to know someone has her back for sure. As for Mr. Green up there...are you just a little jealous Steve? :P

A little more adult stuff for you who don't care to read it...just a warning.

*~*~*

Chapter: 27

Max:

The sun is peeking through the curtains in Liz’s room and I know it’s got to be close to 6:00 or 6:30 a.m. I wonder what time she needs to get up, I have to leave soon if I’m going to be on time for work, I need to get home and get dressed and Liz has to drive to Las Cruces. I feel her stir beneath me and it’s the most wonderful feeling in the world, better than I ever dreamed and I’ve dreamt of this day for years although I never thought I’d live to see it…I’ve never stopped loving her for one single moment of my life. She’s everything I ever wanted and now she’s here in my arms and I’m afraid to move, afraid if I do that I’ll wake up and find it’s just another dream and then I feel her try to move closer. I wonder if she needs to turn over and thinks there’s an obstacle in her way. Well there is actually, me. The next second she lifts her head and smiles at me, all I can do is pull her in to me tighter and kiss her forehead and she moans, such a sweet sound, I wrap both my arms around her and hold on...

“What time do you have to get up?”

“Soon…it’s about a two hour drive so I need to leave by 8:00 at least…if the highway patrol isn’t out I can probably shave a minute or two off that time.” And she looks up at me and grins…

I have to laugh at her and hug her closer still…

“Really, I’ll have to keep that in mind… I have to get started too if I’m going to go home and get ready for work. What are your plans for this evening?”

“Not much. Catch up with mom and probably discuss class and what to do about the other rooms in this place. It seems to be the major topic of discussion lately. Why? Did you have something in mind?”

“Well, I have to drive over to the border check and exchange tapes with my men and after that I’m pretty much free. Would you like to meet up and do something?”

“Well, how about you come over here for dinner tonight. Mom will do the cooking and I can guarantee, that whatever she fixes it will be hardy and tasty. She doesn’t know the meaning of eating light. How the woman stays as thin as she does is beyond me.”

“I would love to come to dinner, I’ll bring some wine and she probably stays so thin because she runs around that restaurant all day.” And I kiss her forehead again because I can.

“Yeah, you’re probably right. She will be so happy to see you Max.”

“Are you sure…maybe she hates me like you hated me.”

“Max, she doesn’t know anything about that so calm down. She’s going to love seeing you…she’s also excited about having lunch with Maria. Maybe, when we get all settled in we can all get together for a bar-b-que or something before it gets ugly out. I think that would be fun.” Max doesn’t need to know that I just told mom about him and me last week…ten years is a long time.

“It would be fun Liz. I’ll talk to Michael about it and, how about Kyle and Tess?”

“I don’t know about them Max…I’m a big girl now but old wounds are still old wounds.”

“Alright sweetheart…someday you’ll understand, I promise.”

“Okay, but until then I just want to see Maria.”

“Maria it is. Now, I need to get up, can I use your shower?”

“Of course you can use my shower…the towels are on the shelf and the razor even has a new blade in it although I’m not so sure you’ll want to use my shaving gel…it does smell a little feminine.”

“It’s okay…do you have any cream rinse?”

“Yeah, it’s on the shelf in the shower.”

“Great, I’ll use cream rinse to shave with…that’s what I use at home.”

“You’re kidding me…cream rinse to shave with?”

“It works great. Michael told me about it. It’s a lot cheaper than shaving cream too and I think it works better. Softens the beard right up.”

“Well, ain’t that just some news…I’ll try it on my legs next time and see how it works.”

“I think you’ll like it.”

“Well, if I don’t I can always go back to my pretty smelling shaving gel.”

And she gives me this gorgeous smile and I just want to take her in my arms and keep her there forever…but reality rears it’s ugly head so I get up and head to the shower and just as I turn around to look for the towels…guess who’s climbing into the shower ahead of me…YES! Yes Ladies and gentlemen this is going to be a great day in the mornin’…I can feel it in the air!!! And life is good.

Liz:

I can feel something different as I try to wake myself up and then it hits me…Max!

Oh my is this nice! I just want to curl up on his big strong body and stay here forever. I wonder if he’s awake yet, I don’t want to disturb him if he isn’t but I really need to start getting ready for that drive. I move just a little and, oh, that feels so good. About then I feel Max stir a little and when I look up he’s smiling at me, I’m going to die of happiness here…We talk a little about needing to get up and what we have to do today and during the course of the conversation I ask him to come to dinner tonight which he says he can do…mom is going to be so happy to see him. I think she’ll be happy for many reasons…I think she might have started thinking that I didn’t like men. That would have really put a crimp in her plans for all those grandchildren. Of course I could have adopted some for her. Anyway, I just followed Max into the bathroom and am now waiting for him to get into the shower with me. Oh, I think he’s really getting excited about the idea, just look at that and it keeps growing…I think Max Evans is making a slut out of me and I love it. Good God he’s beautiful, absolutely beautiful and I can’t take my eyes off him.

Mmmmm. I just got a good morning hello and I think I’m going to get some more.
He takes my face into his hands, turns my head slightly to the left and gives me a very slow, sweet kiss that soon turns into something a little more demanding and then he puts his right hand around my waist while holding the back of my head with his left…this kiss is growing to monumental proportions and I’m growing weak in the knees.

Max’s erection is pushing against my stomach and I can feel the warmth growing as he holds me tighter. He’s now walking me toward the wall of the shower away from the water where he lifts me up to his eye level and breaks the kiss for just a second before he takes his left hand away from my neck to meet his right hand that is now supporting my backside. I wrap my legs around his waist and tilt slightly forward for him and he proceeds to kiss me again. He moves his hips to situate his erection slightly between my hips and reaches between us and proceeds to rub circles on my now swollen clit as he lowers his head and takes one of my erect nipples into his mouth and proceeds to suckle, he is sending wonderful sensations through my entire body. It doesn’t take me long to reach a climax and when I yell out Max’s name he only smiles…raises his head to look me in the eye and whispers…”one more Liz, just one more.” And I can’t, I’m like a little limp rag hanging onto him and he smiles…when I’ve come down from my high I take his large erect manhood into my hand and start to pump…we don’t have any protection in this shower and I’m not on any sort of birth control, never had the need, so I pump Max dry and he moans and holds me tight as his seed splatters all over me and the shower floor. This is going to get better people, I will find a doctor today…trust me, and I smile.

“MMMMph…what’s got you so happy?” Max mumbles.

“I’m going to find an OBGyn. Today… somewhere… and we aren’t going to have to jerk each other off unless we really want to, ever again.”

Oh…Maria’s lessons have not been wasted, the girl would tell me anything and everything. It’s a wonder I was able to look Michael Guerin in the face without cracking up.

And Max Evans laughs at me as he pulls me in for a tight hug and a kiss on the forehead. Now we’re washing each others bodies and it’s wonderful. All too soon we are dressed and ready to leave. Max gives me a sweet kiss at the front door and I head on out to the garage. This was the best morning of my life, barring none, and I take off.

I notice, as I’m driving down the highway, that a truck that looks exactly like the one that was out in the desert is now sitting at one of the cross streets. What the hell? I quickly glance over to see if I can place the license plate, it’s not a N.M. plate…whatever it is it isn’t from around here. I’ll have to tell John this afternoon when I get back from school. I hope the asshole isn’t looking for me. And I keep on driving…I don’t want to be late.

When I arrive in Las Cruces my mother is standing outside of the art and music building waiting for me. This really doesn’t surprise me any, she and I are so much alike in so many ways it’s almost scary. I wouldn’t call us anal, just…just, reliable. That’s what we are, reliable.

“Well good morning sweetie. Did you have a good drive in?”

“Yep! How about you? Any traffic problems?”

“Not a one. How was your dinner?”

“Absolutely delicious. He made us pot roast and there’s some left in the fridge if you’re interested. He’s coming for dinner tonight too. He’s excited about seeing you again and is still in contact with Michael and Maria…also Tess and Kyle but we aren’t talking about them…I’m too happy to go and upset myself.”

“Oh Liz…honey, you’ve come this far why not go all the way. I’m so proud of you. How did you two hook up again anyway?”

“He was at the restaurant I went to yesterday after church and we had breakfast together then he asked me out to dinner. I told him that you were coming in from Roswell and I needed to be home for you so he basically forced me into inviting him. He brought dinner over in a crock-pot mom. He’s so cute and the dinner was delicious. I’ve never eaten pot roast quite like that before but it really was good.”

“That’s great honey…what did you do after dinner?”

“Are you sure you really want to know mom…and keep in mind, I’m 26.”

“Elizabeth Parker, what did you do?”

“Probably the same thing you did mom…Max left this morning. I can’t see any good reason to keep this a secret because I think this is going to be a long term relationship. I think I should just get it out there now because I have a feeling that there will be some evenings that I might not be coming straight home from a date.”

“I see…are you okay with all of this?”

“Oh mom, more than okay.”

And I can’t keep the smile off my face. I know my mother is not disappointed in me but I can tell I’ve given her more information than she really wanted to hear this early in the morning but there is never a good time to tell your mother that you are in a sexual relationship with a person and the conversation just seemed to be right for it. Anyway, it’s out there now and I feel a tremendous relief. Whether she tells my dad or not is her business, I’m definitely not going to tell him...I know that for a fact. This really wasn’t that hard to do but I would have rather kept it to myself…maybe forever, but we are semi living together and she should know without fretting over it.

My next project is to find a doctor…I need to get started on those pills and I need to do it quickly.

Nancy:

God, it’s so good to see her, she looks as young as the 18 year old coeds running around campus…she has no clue just how beautiful she is. I am so glad to have this time to spend with her…it’s been so long.

“Well good morning sweetie. Did you have a good drive in?” I greet …

Look at her, she’s glowing. Something is different with her, that dinner must have gone quite well last night. My daughter has never had a glow like that before…oh shit, I hope he was gentle. Should I say something? Damn, I don’t really want to know about this…who the hell am I kidding, yes I do…I want to know that she’s okay. She must be okay…she’s certainly got that morning after glow about her and that only comes from total satisfaction. I should know!

After we have our mother/daughter conversation I am, I don’t know what I am, I am happy for her. It’s been ten years since these two have even talked to each other and the first time back they hop in the sack. I know she’s 26 but she’s still naïve when it comes to certain things, and one of those things is sex, I think. Hell, she’s been gone for so many years…maybe she’s had other sexual experiences…I don’t know. But she’s never mentioned anything and when we talked a couple of weeks ago she said there was never time for boyfriends so what now, her high school sweetheart shows up and knocks her off her feet. Damn, I hope she’s not setting herself up for another heartbreak.

‘Nancy, let her live her life and quit worrying about it…if it doesn’t work out just be there for her’ I tell myself.

Here’s the professor now…I wonder if Liz ever read the text book?

Gawd…are you going to quit manufacturing things to worry about. If she didn’t read the damned book it’s her problem. Now listen to the man…I may have to pick up some more color swatches today. I wonder what the house looks like?...

Max:

I headed into my office via the rear entrance and was met by Chuck, the night dispatcher, who asked me how my ride in the desert went Saturday… I gave him a great big smile and a wink and went on my way. Let him figure it out….by the time I reach the front office four people ask me the same question. What the hell is going on here. Do they have a lottery going on whether or not I caught the kid? Well… wouldn’t they be surprised if they knew that I have caught the kid and what a kid it is. Although she hasn’t owned up to it yet I know damned well it’s her, I just need to know what the hell she’s doing out there and the fact that I’m just a little concerned about it has my hair standing on end. Whatever it is I hope it’s not as dangerous as I’m conjuring up in my mind.

“Good morning Captain Evans? Sleep well?” I look up at my inquisitor and wonder what in the hell is with these people…

“Yeah, as matter of fact I slept very well Shirley and why would you ask me that question?”

“Well, your neighbor, Mrs. Alcrest, called and said you never came home last night and wondered if you were ill. I told her you were fine as far as I knew because you were off this week-end and we had no way of knowing where you were.”

“Well, the next time Mrs. Alcrest calls you tell her that your Captain is none of her business…okay?” And I walked into my office. I wonder what in the hell Serena is going to have to say about all of this.

“Hey Serena, any questions before I go in and read my “sticky notes”?”

“Nope…I figure if you’re in a sharing mood I’ll listen although I do know that you didn’t have to be towed out of the desert over the week-end so things couldn’t have been too bad.”

“You’re right, they weren’t too bad at all Serena.” And I smiled and walked into my office only to be greeted by one sticky note pasted to my computer. Jimmy!

I reached for my special cell phone and the damned thing was missing…shit, I left it at Liz’s. Instead of calling I sent an e-mail through the special account we had set up and told the head of the DEA that I would have to call him later unless he wanted to call me back on my regular cell…that I forgot to put the s.i. cell in my pocket when I got dressed.

(s.i.= special issue)

My phone rang not three minutes later.

“Max…what’s wrong?” It’s Jimmy folks…

“Nothing’s wrong. Why?”

“It’s not like you to forget things, especially things that important. You’re sure everything is okay?”

“I’m positive…now to what do I owe this early morning call?”

“Well, I tried your cell and it went straight to voice mail. Is it turned off?”

“Jimmy, if you have a question why don’t you come right out and ask it and stop interrogating me. I’ll tell you anything you want to know…honest.”

“Well, okay then. Do you remember Liz Parker?”

“Of course I remember Liz Parker, we used to date for God’s sake and I’m sure you already know that so get to the point.” I think I know where this is going now.

“Well, the L.A. office and I have been going round and round about some information regarding this special operation we’ve got going and we didn’t know if we should share it with the rest of the So. West New Mexico team or not and then when it was brought to our attention that all of your team went to school together we were in a pickle so to speak. The bottom line is, Max…Liz works for the DEA as a Forensic Scientist and she’s on special assignment in your area gathering information for us in the desert. And the kid you’ve been chasing isn’t a kid at all but Liz Parker and we were wondering if you would lay off chasing her. She’s enjoying the cat and mouse game with you but we’re afraid she’ll get hurt.”

I start to laugh…the only way Liz is going to get hurt on that bike is if someone shoots her off of it and now that I know what she’s doing out there it could happen. This is dangerous and suddenly I’m not so jovial…she could get hurt.

“Jimmy…I know it’s Liz. I’ve only seen one other rider like that in my whole life and it was many years ago and after my little race in the desert on Saturday there was no doubt in my mind who was doing the riding. And Jimmy… you’re right! She could get hurt but not on that bike, what you have her doing is dangerous. If these people think that she’s spying on them she’s dead and I’m not real happy about that. You say she’s a forensic scientist for the DEA, then what in the hell do you have her in the field for? She belongs in a god-damned lab not riding a motor cycle in the middle of nowhere alone. Have you people all lost your minds.”

“Max, calm down…she’s in the field because she’s the best, and who in the hell would suspect a woman, or as you thought, a kid. She’s safe Max.”

“No, she’s not safe, no one you put out there will be safe, she can’t outride a bullet you dumb ass, pull her out of there.”

“Max, you can’t interfere with our operation…she knew what she was doing when she agreed to do this. She loves it.”

“No, she doesn’t love gathering the intel, she loves riding that bike. She’s a part of the damned thing when she’s on it…it’s like they’re one…” I rub my head, how can I make this idiot realize what he’s doing…”Jimmy, you can’t let her do this. Tell her you have enough information and let her analyze the stuff we get before sending it off to you.”

“Can’t do that Max. She’s got a special project she’s started and she understands it perfectly. She goes out at different times of the day and takes pictures of every track and dirt road she sees. She’ll be combing the south west border from Texas to Arizona and back again. She has one specific point where a truck stops right in the middle of nowhere and then turns around and follows the same path back to the border. There aren’t any signs of any other vehicles or animals of any kind. She thinks they are using helicopters to transfer contraband because there isn’t a landing strip either.”

“Well, isn’t that just too special…why in the hell didn’t you share this before. I know you want to keep us all safe and by keeping our identities under raps keeps us safe from any moles but this takes the cake. You could have shared the information without sharing the informant for God’s sake. If it’s who I think it is it’s one of ours. Send a copy of the fax to me at home and I’ll check it out…and get her out of that desert.”

“What if she doesn’t want to get out of the desert. I think she likes her new job.”

“I don’t doubt that she does but it would sure make me rest easier if she wasn’t out there risking her life.”

“Shit Max…this sounds personal.”

“It is. Since you brought it up, it is.” And the phone grew silent.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 28 7/8/11

Post by mary mary »

Natalie36: :lol: :lol: :lol: Right now I don't think she cares!
Eve: I think Max makes a point and I don't think Liz will know about it, not yet anyway. Showers? :P
Carolyn: Yes, it is interesting how all of them wound up in law enforcement, although I don't believe that's what Liz's intentions were when she started out, I think the agency just clamped on to her when they were checking out the outstanding student roster. They do that you know. :)
Lizza: I'm sure Liz isn't going to lose her job but this chapter might shed some light on the subject. :)
Cardinal: Yep, get out the raincoat, it's only going to get worse!!! :lol:
XAF RU208: Hey, I'm glad I could make your day and I hope all of the hard work was worth it. How's your shoulder? :)
Cardinal Ahhhh, come on...I was that good!!! :lol: :roll: :D :P

*~*~*

Chapter:28

Jimmy/John

“John, you have a call from the director on line two.” And Sherry signed off…

“Hey Jimmy, what’s up so early Monday morning…we just talked last night, things can’t be happening that fast.”

“John, you have to tell Liz who else is working the south western part of New Mexico. I just spoke with Max Evans, the highway patrol captain, and he seems to know more about Liz’s activities than we suspected and he is pissed. That truck Liz has been staking out? That one that she can’t find any tracks leading out of the desert on…well, he thinks it’s one of theirs and as he pointed out in so many words…this is quite dangerous. He said he knows no one can outride her on that bike but she sure can’t outrun a bullet and John he’s right. Maybe she doesn’t have any business out in the field.”

“Come on Jimmy, why would anyone shoot at a “kid” on a motorcycle, joyriding in the desert? There’s no way her cover is going to get blown.”

“Well, look at it from his standpoint. It only took him a couple of days to figure out who was on that motorcycle and she is from New Mexico. There are a lot more people who know who she is in that state than we took into consideration. Maybe we should have stationed her in another state, even California.”

“Maybe you’re right, but we’ve got her situated in New Mexico now, we don’t want to start rocking the boat moving people around and her mother just bought that house there in Columbus and that’s an excellent cover. I know a two hour drive to Las Cruces twice a week is a bit much but the two women seem happy as clams about it right now. Maybe we can get them some on line classes and they won’t have to make the drive but in the meantime Liz seems to be perfectly happy. Well, except for last night. She damned near bit my head off when I called her.”

“You too? I called Evans and was cut off kind of short too. Oh shit, you don’t think they’ve hooked up again? Nah, it’s been ten years. No one waits that long to get back together, that would be too bizarre.”

“I don’t know, she’s not dating anyone that I know of and didn’t have any problem leaving L.A. and when we invited her out to the desert for the week-end she called her parents instead of a friend. You might be on to something there. Maybe we should let them know who the other team members are. They are working toward the same goal. Maybe she could analyze their information with her information before sending it off to us. She is one of the best analysts in our office.”

“Well, go ahead then. I’ll tell Evans and you can tell Liz…if they haven’t hooked up maybe this will help.”

“Now you’re acting like cupid and that isn’t our goal here. If they hook up Evans really will have a fit. I wouldn’t want my girl out there alone.”

“I thought you said she was safe.”

“Well, she is as long as nothing happens.”

“Christ John, if they get back together and Evans insists that we pull her I think I just might listen to him. We can’t have him worried to death about her and still concentrate on his part in this. They’re both vital and we still have access to satellite pictures. Keep me informed and let me know what she says.”

“Will do…talk to you later.”

Just as I’m hanging up Dave walks in…

“Dave, we may have to change Liz’s status on this project. That was the director and it seems one of the New Mexico team has figured out who is riding the desert and isn’t too happy about it. It seems the man thinks that she’s in a lot of danger. He said no one can outride her but she can’t outride a bullet.”

“He’s right John…I didn’t like the idea in the first place so now I’m glad to see someone else sees it. Your biggest problem is going to be to convince Liz. She loves what she’s doing and she’s made a big move in order to do it. I don’t think she’s going to take to this news lightly.”

“Well the director has a good point. Let all the players on the team work together. Liz being the analyst on the project down there and the rest of them can run their information through her before it comes to us. She does know the area and would be a tremendous asset.”

“The director is a smart man…he’s right. That idea makes more sense than what we have her doing now and she can use satellite images to compare her data to, and with the help of the other players they can all be in on the program. I think that makes more sense and they all know each other already. I don’t know why, well I do know why we went the other way, but they aren’t going to rat each other out.”

“Only if one of them gets caught.”

“They’re all policemen. Guerin has been undercover for a couple of years now teaching art at the high school. He’s brought down quite a few pushers, dumped a lot of kid’s asses in juvey for using but none of the big wheels have been caught and they’re the ones we’re after. Maybe, with all of them working together and all of our other forces we can go after some of the big dogs, and they have an excellent cover as well, they all graduated together.”

“Yeah, wouldn’t that be nice.”

“Anyway, you think this is a good idea too?”

“I think this is a damned good idea. If she still wants to ride the desert let her do it for fun…she can take some photos if she wants to but the satellite prints seem like a much better way to go, she knows what to look for in the photos.”

“Well, okay. I’ll call her this afternoon and let her know. You wouldn’t want to fly down there and bring them all up to speed would you?”

“Sure, set it up and I’ll catch a flight to Las Cruces this afternoon and meet with all of them at some central location. Guerin should know someplace where we can meet without being disturbed.”

“Fair enough, I’ll go ahead and set it up for you while you make your reservations. Say, around four or five. That should give everyone time to get there. Guerin and Liz are already there at class and Evans and Valenti aren’t that far away. This will work out just fine. Don’t let Liz talk you out of this.”

“Oh sure, give me the shit detail why don’t you. You know she’s going to balk but she’s a team player, she’ll do it.”

“Good, I’ll give you the name of the place for the meeting as soon as I talk to Guerin.”

“Fair enough. Talk to you in a few.”

Well, I wish these people would have given me their input sooner, we could have dispensed with all of this extra fretting. I do feel better about this though…I don’t know why I worried so over her riding out there alone, I should have gone with my gut feeling in the first place and come up with this plan. It’s so much better. It only goes to show that sometime more heads are better than one. Let’s just hope that Liz isn’t upset with us.

Michael:

Damn, there goes that friggin’ cell phone just as I’m giving Rachel some pointers on the charcoal she’s workin’on. She’s going to be a wonderful artist one of these days. She just needs to fine tune some of her technique and this piece is going to be awesome. She’s come a long way since she got back from her little visit to juvenile hall. I insisted that they just give her a slap on the wrist and send her back to school. She’s a good kid, just got in with the wrong bunch and a good scare was all she needed. I just hope she never finds out that I’m the one who ratted on her. That would ruin our relationship and maybe cause her to take a nose dive. I don’t want that for her. Maria says she has a beautiful voice too, so along with her art talent she can also pursue a music career if she gets the right breaks and we’re going to do all we can to see to it that it happens.

I check the text message on the cell and when the bell rings I give the director a call back before my next class.

“Michael, hey, just a quick message…we need to set up a meeting this afternoon with all of the team in Las Cruces and wanted to know where a good place to have it would be. Someplace where you can have a private discussion without being too private if you know what I mean.”

“Yeah. Why not Denny’s off highway 25. There’s a huge booth in the back and there’s hardly anybody there around 4:00 or so. I guess all the kids are headed home from school by then and work hasn’t let out yet. How would that be?”

“That sounds great Michael…I’ll let my man know right away. Can you get Evans and Valenti for me and I’ll take care of the rest.”

“Yeah, sure. How will we know the others?”

“Don’t worry Michael, they’ll know you. My man will be there around 4:00.”

“Fair enough…I have to go, my class room is starting to fill up. We’ll talk later.”

“Yes Michael, so long.”

Well, what in the hell do they want to start up now. I thought we had all bases covered and everything was working out fine. Maria’s going to love this, but she can’t complain too badly…she can take the car and I’ll catch a ride with Kyle. Everyone in town knows we’re friends so there’s no news there.

After my next class I call Max and Kyle and tell them to meet up at Denny’s at 4:00 and Max seemed a little hesitant and then agreed. I wonder what, or who, he’s got goin’?

Max:

Damn, there’s a meeting in Las Cruces and I’ve got a dinner date with Liz…hell, I don’t want to miss that. A four o’clock meeting means an extra hour or two and then a two hour drive back to Columbus putting me in at 8:00 or later. Damn, I really wanted to see her tonight. Actually, I’ve waited so damned long that I really want to see her every night.

Oh well, you do what you gotta do…so I give her a call at noon and tell her that I would have to take a rain check because something came up. I could hear the smile in her voice when she said that’s okay and invited me for tomorrow night which I jumped right on. She didn’t seem too disappointed…why is that? I personally feel like hell about it. Oh well, I’ll see her tomorrow. Maybe I’ll call her tonight when I have more time.

Liz:

Damn, John just called and told me that I had to go to a meeting with Dave at 4:00 p.m. at Denny’s off highway 25. What the hell is Dave doing in Las Cruces. Maybe they found out something about that truck and Dave knew I’d be in Las Cruces today. Mom will have to go with me, she’s already sat in on all the other meetings so this won’t be anything new for her. She’s actually gone with me on a couple of rides anyway. I’m glad Max can’t make it tonight, I really didn’t want to call and cancel on him and since I know what he does and he doesn’t know what I do it’s so much easier this way…I don’t want to lie to him.

I tell mom that we have to stay in Las Cruces for a meeting and she’s concerned about Max and I told her that he already called and cancelled and we’re good for tomorrow night. She seemed happy with that idea. Anyway, I was about to suggest that we look for an apartment or something that we could rent every Monday night instead of making that trip back to Columbus but I’m not so sure she would like the idea. I think it sounds great myself. She wouldn’t even have to drive to Columbus every week if she didn’t want to. Two hours is a long drive. I’ll bring it up to her later…see what she thinks.

At about 3:45 I pull into the Denny’s parking lot and I swear I see a highway patrol vehicle sitting next to a red jeep and start to giggle. Maria’s Jetta was red…why would I think about that and then next to that is a sheriff’s car. Well, maybe the town fuzz all meet here for coffee breaks. Mom pulls in behind me and then Dave is right on her heels. I give Dave a hug and tell him it’s good to see him and we all head in to the coffee shop after Dave informs me we are meeting some other people and I will have to point them out.

“What do you mean, I will have to point them out? I wasn’t informed of any other people.”

“That’s because you are going to meet the rest of the team, we are going to re-plan our strategies and all work together. It was decided, after a long conference this morning about some of the data that you sent that you all need to know each other and work together.”

“Oh. And who are we looking for?”

“You’ll recognize them when you see them. Look for a sort of private booth.”

And about that time I looked up and recognized the three men sitting in the back of the restaurant and got this great big grin on my face and mom and Dave knew immediately that I spotted the three we were looking for. I practically ran to the back of the restaurant and I could hear my mother telling the hostess that she was sure we knew where we were headed.

I hugged Kyle and then Michael and Max just stood there grinning and when he grabbed me and gave me a great big whopper of a kiss on the mouth the rest of the men just stood there watching with slack jaws. My mom just smiled and waited until we got it out of our systems, public be damned, and then mom hugged Max as well.

Dave pipes up and says…

“Well, I think everyone knows everyone except for me. I’m Dave Wilcox, Liz’s partner out of the L.A. office of the D.E.A., and you are?”

And my mother introduced Michael and Kyle to Dave and pointed to the man attached to my lips as Max Evans, Captain of the Highway Patrol. Dave grinned…

“I figured as much.”

“Shall we sit?”

And I felt someone yanking on my shirt…

“Liz, cool it and sit down or go get a room for God’s sake.” My mother people, she can be a real killjoy sometime.

I pulled away from Max and then Max shook hands with Dave and allowed me to scoot into the booth before sitting down next to me. Then Michael started.

“Well, I see you two have mended some fences since the last time I saw you Liz.”

“Yeah, sort of. How have you been Michael…and you Kyle?”

Kyle just sat there shaking his head and smiling…he acknowledged my question with a nod and Michael said he was fine and would be glad when Maria could lay on her stomach again because she was becoming a pain in the ass. I laughed at him and then looked at Dave.

“Well, I’m sure we weren’t all brought here to catch up on old friendships were we. So tell us Dave, what’s the meeting all about?”

“Well Liz, actually it’s about you. We wanted to bring the whole team together because we think it would be more advantageous for all of you to work together. We need your analytical services for the data that is being compiled and we want you to start using satellite images instead of riding alone out in the desert.”

I swear, I think I just heard Max Evans let out a great big breath…what is that all about? And my mother is smiling so big her face might break.

“It seems that the information you are gathering is coinciding with the information the rest of the team is gathering and then being sent off to Washington to be analyzed when we’ve got one of the best Forensic Scientists in the DEA working right here and we aren’t utilizing her talents in the best possible way. So these men will send their data to you, you will analyze it, use satellite images where necessary and then send it off to John. He will then transfer the data to D.C. to the director himself. Is that agreeable?”

“Yeah sure, if that’s what you want. What if I want a better look at something, up close and personal?”

“We’ll let you be the judge of that but give the satellite a chance will you. The thing circles the earth at all hours, you should be able to get anything you need from it. We’ll need to bring you some more equipment though. Would you rather we build you an office on the property? It’s big enough to house another building and that way we won’t be taking up so much room in the house.”

“I didn’t see an office in the house?”

Max spoke up and three men all looked at him in shock…mom just smiled.

“That’s because I didn’t show it to you. It’s that room before mom and dad’s room. Just down the hall off to the left.”

“Oh. Is it big enough for that satellite equipment?”

“I don’t know…Maybe it would be better for it to all be in a separate building. That room is full of some pretty high tech stuff already and I don’t think much more would fit in it. What do you think Dave?”

“You’re right, it is pretty full. Let me run it by John…we can probably put something up to house the stuff and not be conspicuous.”

“Just a minute Dave…if you go putting a building up on my property it’s not going to be just a building…it’s going to fit in with the rest of the property and it’s going to be nice and it’s not going to cost us a damned dime. Now, you tell John I said that’s the only way it’s going to happen…”

My mother folks…it could have been the president of the United States and she made it perfectly clear that no one was going to mess up her home and I don’t blame her, she waited too many years to get it.

Kyle, Max and Michael all raised an eyebrow, they didn’t know how well mom knew Dave and John but it was perfectly clear that she was ready to fight this program down with all of them…

Dave grinned and then said,

“Okay Nancy, a nice building that matches the hacienda. You got it.”

And mom was happy and my three high school buddies sat there and grinned.

“Okay men, you all know the program now. You’ll be given Liz’s various numbers, ie: cell, house, e-mail and fax. You’ll send all of your data to her, she’ll analyze it and send it to John, our team leader who in turn will send it to the director of the DEA. I know this sounds like a round about way of doing things but you have to realize… she’s the best we’ve got and shame on us for not utilizing her skills the way we should have in the first place. There is one good thing that has come out of this though. We don’t have to be so sneaky around the office in L.A. That was something that could have caused a huge problem and now it’s been taken care of. Liz, what do you want to do about your apartment in L.A.?”

“Oh, give the furniture to the Salvation Army and tell the apartment manager to go ahead and rent it. I’ll never be going back there.”

“Are you sure…there’s a new girl at the office who needs a place, can we let her take over the lease?”

“Yeah, sure…give the furniture to her if she wants it.”

“Hey, are you sure you don’t want something for it. I’m sure she’ll buy it.”

“No, just give it to her. I know how hard it is to get the damned stuff moved and all. It’s a pain in the neck…just give it to her…I don’t want it.”

“What’s it like Liz?” That was Kyle.

“It’s just some cheap Ikea stuff Kyle…the mattress and box springs are good as is the couch but the rest of the stuff isn’t worth anything. Honest.”

And he nodded in understanding. Then mom said,

“But it really looked nice honey…it didn’t look cheap.”

“Oh, that was just the accessories mom…it gave it a homey look. I don’t mind, honest. I love my room now.”

Then motor mouth opens up with…

“Yeah, it’s really a nice room Liz.” Three men’s jaws drop again and my mother giggles as Max’s face turns beet red. Worth it folks, worth it.

“Well, if I want to make the return flight to L.A. I’d better get hopping. It was nice to have met all of you and good hunting. Liz, I’ll be seeing you soon and Nancy I’ll send you some architectural drawings and see what you think of them.”

“No, I want Michael to come to the house and take a look and I want him to draw something up for me. I’ll be sending you some drawings Dave…and remember, it’s my house.”

“Yes ma’am. We wouldn’t dream of messing it up.”

“I’m glad we understand each other…now hurry before you miss your flight.”

I stood and gave him a hug and thanked him. He thanked me and bid his goodbyes to everyone and was off.

“Well, he seems like a NICE man.” Kyle stated ‘nice’ rather emphatically…

“Kyle, yes he is a nice man and yes he’s gay but I wouldn’t be afraid to go anywhere in the field with him because I know he would have my back.”

And Max and Michael both nodded, they knew what I meant and agreed.

Then I looked at mom…

“Hey, how about we rent a room for the night and then go home after class tomorrow. Or you can head on back to Roswell after class. I was thinking, on my way in this morning, that maybe we should just stay in Las Cruces every Monday night and that way we would only have to make this trip once a week until January when school’s out.”

“That sounds doable…what about clothes?”

“Well, how about the local K-mart or something. Just a change of underwear and a cheap outfit. We don’t need to spend a fortune.”

“Hey you two, come stay with Maria and me if you don’t mind sharing a bed. It’s a queen and Maria would love it. What are you doing traveling to Las Cruces anyway. Why not just rent a place here if this is where you’re going to school?”

“Well, going to school was to be my cover Michael and Columbus is closer to the border where I was doing my surveillance on my motorcycle. Mom’s the one that went nuts and bought the old governor’s mansion and now we live in this huge hacienda on this large estate and mom and I are taking decorating classes. How about that for a cover and, she also commutes between here and Roswell because dad still runs the Crashdown everyday and she gets lonesome. God, this really is a mess.”

Max just squeezes my shoulder and I give him a smile. He looks so much more relaxed than what he did when we got here…what’s with that?

“So, how about it Mrs. P. You want to stay with us?”

“Michael, shouldn’t you talk this over with Maria?”

“Why…she’ll be tickled to death.”

“No Michael. You call her right now before I commit to something like that.”

“Well, if you insist.” And Michael dialed Maria.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 29 7/8/11

Post by mary mary »

Lizza: I don't think Dave is afraid of Nancy, I think he get's a kick out of her straight forward manner. She's not going to let anyone ruin her home and I don't blame her. Maria is elated. :)
Natalie36: Jeff has no idea about Max and Liz's troubles and Nancy just found out recently so he's not really an issue. Liz's problem was telling her dad she was in a sexual relationship...she really didn't care to discuss that with him and at her age I don't think he's got much to do with it really. :wink:
Eve: I agree, I think putting Liz back into Forensics and out of the desert is a good idea too. I believe the four of them will make a good team.
Ken: I really don't think John thought that Liz would be in danger...it never entered his mind that the drug cartel would put two and two together. Rather arrogant of him actually to think he was dealing with stupid people. These people are ruthless and if they thought for one minute that someone would interfere with their business they wouldn't wait for proof...they would deal with it. I think maybe Jimmy and then Dave may have put a burr in his bonnet so to speak. It's too bad they didn't do it earlier but then I wouldn't have had a story. :roll: :lol: :wink:
Carolyn: I believe the big reunion is in this chapter...it should be fun. Some things may come out this today, I can't promise because I haven't read the thing in months so we'll see.
XAF RU208: Glad to hear your doing better and as for Serena, well, she's just what she appears to be. A very efficient young woman who is a lot like Liz actually...over kill on everything, very conscientious and extremely efficient...to a fault.

Chapter: 29

“Hey Maria, you’re never going to guess who’s sitting here with me and who needs a place to stay every Monday night.”

“No Maria, I really didn’t expect you to know but Liz and her mom are taking a class at the University and they’re commuting. They were going to rent a motel.”

“Yeah, here.”

And Michael hands me the phone…

“Liz Parker, don’t you dare go to a damned motel, you get your butt over here right now.”

“Maria, you don’t need to yell at me you need to TALK to my mom. Here.”

And I hand the phone to my mother…

“Hello Maria, how are you honey. Michael tells us that you are expecting…isn’t that exciting?”

“Yes dear…Yes…we’ll be more than happy to stay with you…and Maria, thank you. Here’s Michael.” And mom hands the phone back to Michael.

“Hey Maria, they need to get a change of clothes for tomorrow, this sort of just happened so we’ll be a little longer.”

I hold up my hand to stop Michael talking for a minute….

“No Michael, you can go home. We have GPS’s in our cars and we’ll find you if you give us the address. It won’t take us long to get what we need…some pj’s, underwear and some jeans and a top. No time at all if we don’t stop for paint swatches.” And I grin at mom who is glaring back at me. Max and Kyle both chuckle.

“Oh, and Maria, I think Max will be coming home with me too.” And Michael looks over at Max and Max just nods his head in assent and squeezes my shoulder again. He feels so good folks, so very good!

“Well, is everyone set on their new assignments? It’s not that difficult really…except I’m going to be stuck behind a desk all day again. Not that I mind analysis but the desert was a blast.”

And then Max pipes up with…

“I could tell.”

Then Michael and Kyle both start laughing and Kyle all but shouts…

“You’re the kid!”

And I salute him…and he starts to tear up he’s laughing so hard. I can’t tell if Max wants to take out his revolver and blow him away or throw something at him but he really doesn’t seem too pleased with his antics. Of course Kyle always did have a way of getting Max’s dander up. I just look up at him and grin and he bends down and kisses my forehead and I love it. It feels great and I smile…a genuine happy smile and I notice my mom is smiling too. Then Max chuckles…yeah, she did it again. And mom joins in the joviality.

Soon I take hold of the situation and get Michael and Kyle’s special phone numbers along with their home and work numbers and take out two cell phones as do the rest of them. I add their private numbers to my regular cell and then the special issue gets their special numbers as well as giving them mine and we are all set. Max has to get back to his office and check out, Kyle is headed home and Michael is going to use my car and is going to stop at the market on his way home and pick up some stuff for Maria. He said he’d call her from the market.

I immediately offered my car to him when I found out he was hitching a ride with Kyle and told him I’d ride with mom.

Cell phones people, a wonderful invention. Mom and I leave in her car and head to the factory outlets that we’ve seen on our trips to school and pick up the necessary items we’ll need for Maria’s. We decide to get some toiletries as well if we are going to be spending every Monday night with them for the next couple of months…if you want to know the truth I’ll be glad when this leg of the trip is over. It’s a real pain in the ass even if it is fun. Can you imagine the four of us on the same fact finding mission. This is unbelievable. All from the same school, all from the same class and all friends. It’s almost unheard of. What were the odds of that happening? Almost none is what I’m thinking.

Max:

Well, I can’t begin to tell you how relieved I am that we got her out of that damned desert. What fool came up with that idea in the first place…not that I mind how it all worked out, bringing us back together and all, but to send a tiny little thing like that out in the desert alone on a motorcycle looking for drug dealers. Christ all mighty, that borders on insanity. Surely this John fellow can’t be this stupid…he probably never asked another soul for their input on this plan. Just thought about it and put it into play. Maybe my conversation with the director helped straighten this out a little, even if I did lie about that damned truck. We’ve been wondering about that thing for months now and have never been able to come up with a viable explanation. We’ve monitored that thing day and night and there is nothing else out there. Maybe the fool is trapping some critter for dinner…hell, it happens. There could be a nest of jack rabbits out there for all we know, they do multiply pretty fast. Anyway, she’ll be a lot safer in an office.

I can’t believe Nancy Parker, she’s a real kick in the pants and she certainly has definite ideas about the DEA putting up a prefab on that beautiful estate of hers. I don’t blame her though… Liz is right, she’s waited a long time for a nice home and she’s not going to let the US government come in and mess it up for her…she is funny, and that Dave seems like a nice fellow too. I think he’s relieved that Liz is out of the desert as well. She and Nancy are really cute together, I don’t remember them being that tight in high school…of course I’m not so sure any teenager is tight with their parents in high school. I was a little closer to mom than I was dad but not what you would call tight.

I think it’s awfully nice of Michael and Maria to ask them to stay with them. That will save them a great deal of travel time that’s for sure. Although Nancy has the bigger distance to travel than Liz does. I’ll really be surprised if they finish this course…I’m sure it sounded good at the time, but it is a little far out. Of course, when Liz explains the fact that Columbus is closer to the border that makes sense but I think she could have come up with a better cover than school. Scientific studies out in the desert would have made more sense to me but I’m not the one that bought a mansion either. Whatever they decide to do is okay with me as long as she’s in my life and off that desert. God, I’ve got to quit my rambling and get my ass into the office and check out before heading over to Michael's. I’ll have to get home and change clothes as well. Talk about your mind going off in a hundred directions at the same time…this is ridiculous.

Maria:

Wow, I’m so excited…I can’t believe she’s here in Las Cruces and is coming to dinner and Nancy too…oh, this is just too wonderful. I wonder what they’re doing going to school together, oh God, did Michael pick up his dirty clothes when he showered. I’d better go check the bathroom. Shit, if I don’t calm down I’ll have a stroke before they get here. Damn that phone!

I run back down the hall and grab the phone just as it’s about to go to the answering machine…

“Hello.”

“Hey Maria, do you need anything from the market before I get home?”

“No Michael, I ran out just after you called and picked up what I thought I would need. Are you sure it’s a good thing to invite Max over here with Liz?”

“Maria, I don’t know what the hell is going on with those two but after the lip lock I witnessed when they greeted each other I have a feeling it’s a damned good idea. We’ll just have to wait until they get there to find out about it. There were other people at the meeting as well as us so let’s just table it for now okay? I’m almost home honey, so take it easy and try to relax…this is going to be fun so don’t blow it all out of proportion and get yourself in a dither. BREATHE!!! It’s good for you.”

And I giggled at my husband…

“Okay Michael, see you soon baby and be careful.”

“Will do. Love you.”

“Back atcha! Bye.”

And we hung up. Life just keeps getting better all the time. The bathroom looks fine. Now for dinner. Mexican and Italian kill me so it’s good old fashioned stew…if I’m easy on the onions maybe junior will give me a break. There’s always Tums, I’m sure this is all going to be worth it but sometimes I think adoption would have been a better way to go…I grab my stomach and apologize, “Sorry Baby!”, and keep on moving.

About an hour and a half later there’s a knock at the door and when I open it up there stands my best friend, smiling from ear to ear and I can’t help the scream that leaves my throat…she looks wonderful and her mother, my second mother, just stands there smiling at me as well.

“Oh God, I can’t believe you’re here…come in. What in the hell are you doing in this neck of the woods anyway. I thought you lived in L.A.”

“I sort of did, but now I’m living in Columbus. Mom and dad bought the abandoned governor’s summer home and that’s where I’m staying. Mom’s commuting until we’re finished with this class in January and then they, mom and dad, will probably just visit until dad retires, or semi-retires. Whatever they decide to do. I’ll still be in Columbus for a while.”

“What are you doing in Columbus?”

“Don’t ask that Maria…I’m going to school and living there…that’s all you need to know.”

“Oh, okay…I’m used to answers like that so we’ll move on.”

“Nancy, what possessed you to buy a place that big for God’s sake? I’ve seen pictures and it looks humongous!”

“It is Maria, and I have no idea why I bought it…I walked in and fell in love with it and the rest is history. I’ve been on the look out for a place for years and this one just screamed at me. Jeff was agreeable and so now it’s ours. I love it and I know you will too, there’s plenty of room for lots of company so you and Michael and the little one of course are welcome anytime you want to come and visit. I know you’ll love it.”

“What’s not to love if it’s anything like the pictures. Do you know any of the history?”

“The only thing I’m sure of is that the town of Columbus was going to tear it down and build condominiums on the property if it didn’t soon sell. No one wanted it because is was so big but I think it will be great for a large family.”

“A large family? Who?” I ask and then Liz pops up with…

“Oh, didn’t you know…mom and dad have a whole slew of kids that we don’t know anything about and mom is going to fill the place up with grand babies.”

I look at Liz for a second and then at Nancy…

“She is kidding, right?”

“She’s kidding about the slew of kids but not about filling it up with grand babies…I want her to get busy as soon as possible and after the display I saw this afternoon in Denny’s I don’t think I’ll have too long to wait.”

“MOM! It wasn’t that bad!”

“Liz, if you and Max hadn’t stopped soon I think Kyle was going to have to arrest you for indecent public displays.”

“Oh for God’s sake…all we did was give each other a kiss.” Liz quipped.

About that time Michael walked in and got in on the conversation…

“Well, if all that was was a little kiss I’d hate like hell to see a big one. When did you and Max hook up again anyway?”

“Yesterday, after church.”

“Well, I’m sure as hell glad you didn’t see each other in church…the priest would have had to put a stop to the service.”

Liz came back with…“Come on Michael it wasn’t that bad.” And then Nancy started to giggle, I looked with wonder at Liz and I didn’t believe them for one second and about that time the doorbell rang and Michael went to answer it.

“Hey Max, come on in buddy, we’re all in the living room ragging on Liz.” Max grinned as he gave Michael a manly hug and followed him into the living room where Liz stood and gave him a big grin…Max nodded to Nancy and me and walked right up to Liz and planted one on her in front of all of us like we weren’t even there.

Then Nancy piped up and said…

“There Maria, what do you think of that?”

“They did that in Denny’s?” I couldn’t believe Liz Parker would do that!

“They did that in Denny’s…right if front of God and everyone and now they’re doing it here.” And Liz and Max broke away.

“Ah, come on mom, it can’t be that bad?” And Liz looked at Max and grinned.

I just had to get my two cents in…

“Well, I did clean the spare room Max, if you think you would rather go in there and finish this conversation.”

Without a second thought Max answered…

“Nah, we’re good for now. What’s for dinner?”

“Oh no you don’t buddy…Liz, what do you mean you hooked up after church?”

“Just what she said…we went to breakfast and then Liz had to go home and do some work and I showed up later with dinner. It was great.”

“What do you mean it was great?”

“Just what he said Maria…he made pot roast and brought it over in a crock pot and we even have leftovers. It was great.”

“Liz, Max doesn’t cook!”

“Well, I don’t know who made the pot roast Maria, but it was wonderful.” Liz was quite adamant about Max’s pot roast.

I looked over at Max and he shrugged his shoulders and looked at me before speaking…

“Yes Maria, Julia Child and I made pot roast and, as Liz said, it was wonderful. I’ll make one for you someday.”

And I just sat there shaking my head at him not knowing whether to believe him or not.

“Well, I’m glad you two buried the hatchet anyway…it’s good to see you happy again.”

Then my husband had to get his two cents worth in and mumbled…

“More like buried the salami.”

And I yelled “MICHAEL!!” while everyone else giggled including Nancy…I tell you folks, sometime he just infuriates the hell out of me but I think he’s right.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: DEA Meets Highway Patrol(A/U Mat./Ad)ch 30 7/9/11

Post by mary mary »

Natalie36: Yes, the reunion was fun and honest...not this chapter but the next the Tess situation will be covered.
Lizza: the Tess problem is discussed after this chapter.... :)
Carolyn: I know what you mean...I still correspond with my grammar school buddies, believe it or not, and we are 3000 miles apart and when we get on the phone or fly across the US to visit it's like we just saw each other yesterday. I think we're close to having babies...but this chapter. :D
Eve: Maria will always be Maria and Max and Liz have just started on a new relationship, so I guess you could say they are acting a little "young" around each other. :wink:
Cardinal: :lol: :lol: :lol: So glad you got a kick out of that...and Liz will listen... she's older, wiser. confident and mature...I think! :roll:
XAF RU208: Hey, that pot roast sounds good no matter who makes it and the conversation will take place but not today! :D

*~*~*

Chapter: 30

Liz:

It is so good to see Maria and she is still so funny…she looks so cute with her little baby bump. For as tiny as she is she really isn’t that big. Not as big as Michael said she thought she was and Max confessing that Julia Child helped him with the pot roast was just too cute.

She is going to be a great mom. She had Michael show mom and me to our room and told us to make ourselves at home. Maria had cleared out two drawers in the dresser for us and made room on one side of the clothes closet for us which I thought was sweet of her and then Michael showed us where the clean towels were kept and also the bathroom we would be using. He also showed us the nursery that he and Maria were working on together and the pretty clouds he was currently painting on the ceiling and halfway down one of the walls. It was just darling. Maria was working on a baby quilt and curtains to match in a nursery rhyme theme and he told us that the entire room was going to be nursery rhyme characters chosen from the fabric on the curtains and quilt. He is just as excited as Maria is and it makes me feel so happy that he isn’t afraid to show his enthusiasm. My mom is just standing there smiling at him and then she takes him into a big hug and tells him how proud of him she is. He has come a long way since that short order cook that worked for her and dad. I’m proud of him too. He is one of the sweetest, orneriest men I know. Then he takes us to Maria’s and his room and it is beautiful. He redid a very old bedroom set that they had found in an antique shop and it looks positively gorgeous. Probably better than the day it was built. His work is wonderful.

When we got back to the living room it was void of people and we heard Maria and Max’s voices in the kitchen so we headed out there. Max was pulling lettuce apart and putting it into a large salad bowl and Maria was cutting tomatoes into wedges. They were laughing and joking with each other as they worked and mom and I wondered what we could do to help. Maria said to set the table in the dining room and Michael had to ask, “Why?”

“Because Michael, we have the thing and we never use it…tonight is a good reason so we’ll eat in there.” Michael shrugged and mom and I giggled as Michael led the way to the dining room and pointed to the china cupboard.

“Might just as well use that stuff too…it never gets used either.” And Maria shouted back to the dining room…

“I heard that Michael. Get in here and bring the meat platter with you.”

Mom and I just kept on with our assigned duty while Maria spouted out orders to everyone and then mom whispered to me just loud enough for me to hear…

“Liz, I was very worried this morning when we talked about last night but after seeing the way Max looked at you when we walked into that restaurant, well honey, I haven’t got a worry in the world. That man adores you, it’s written all over his face and the relief he showed when he heard your duties had changed told a complete story of it’s own. I am so happy for you Liz, I only wish you could have forgiven him a long time ago.”

“No mom, everything happens for a reason…if Max and I had gotten back together in high school I don’t think I would have ever gone to college and finished my degree. Not that it would have been a bad thing but I think I really wanted to get my education. I’m glad things worked out the way they did. Now I don’t have to wonder ‘what if’. And yes, I believe he loves me mom just as much as I love him. I always have loved him and I knew it. I just put it safely away in the back of my mind and hid from it. Sometime we don’t know why things happen but it can work out for the best in the long run.”

“Yes honey, I agree, and I’m glad your duties have been changed also. I was worried more than I care to admit about you riding out there in that desert. Now, if you decide to go maybe Max can go with you. I think you’ll enjoy that.”

“Yeah, it will be fun to have a buddy to ride with and that includes you too when you’re around.”

“Yeah, I’ll look forward to that.”

About that time the dining room started to fill up with people and food and good conversation and I was happy. This is going to be such fun…spending Mondays with Maria and Michael…maybe we’ll be here for the baby. That’s going to be great!”

I looked around the table as we said grace and thanked God for my family and I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face. this was truly wonderful.

After we finished dinner Michael and Max cleared the table while mom, Maria and I cleaned up the kitchen then Michael and mom sat down at the kitchen table to discuss plans for the office that was to be built on mom’s property. Maria thought it had something to do with my job but we didn’t tell her exactly what that job was.

Michael discussed the size of the building with me and I told him to just double his living room…that way there would be room for business meetings if they were ever needed without disturbing anyone in one of the two houses. Michael looked up at me with what looked like shock and Max smiled…

“Yeah Mike, two houses, a very large pool, gardens, patios a large veranda and a huge four car garage with parking access in the back. There is plenty of room for another building. This place is like a small hotel, I swear.”

“And you saw all of this since yesterday morning?” Michael queried…

“Oh yeah…and it is awesome. I can’t believe what the town sold it for. Can I Nancy?”

“Of course Max…and so Max began to tell Michael and Maria all about the place mom bought for 450 thousand dollars and they were amazed. Well hell, we all were.”

“Well, then, you start telling me what you want Mrs. P and I’ll start sketching. Maria, see if you can download a picture of the place from the internet and I’ll write down the things Liz needs on the interior.”

“Oh, Michael, I just need room…lots of room for some equipment and a couple of large tables. Shelves and closets for storage, map storage space, a couple computers, office machines and a desk of course. It’s the outside that mom is concerned about, just make the inside one large room with a bathroom. If we want to section it off we can use those office dividers. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy on the inside. Maybe one of those small office type kitchen things, with the appropriate plumbing, one of those compact things…the one with the small refrigerator, two burner stove, microwave and small cupboard for coffee cups, all built into one unit. You’ve seen them I’m sure.”

“Yeah, okay, nothing fancy inside, just a nice façade.”

“Exactly.” Mom and I both said at the same time. Max just sat there and listened to us and about that time Maria came back with some photos she had downloaded from the internet and Michael just whistled. It was impressive that’s for sure.

“And you got all of this for 450.”

“Yes, isn’t it wonderful…Liz can have lots of babies and there will be plenty of room for them.”

I choked and Max laughed and grabbed me around the waist and squeezed. The rest of the room saw that action and just smiled…but I wasn’t smiling, this was nothing to smile about…this coming from a woman who gave birth once and I said as much too. Then my mother got this sad look on her face and informed me that it wasn’t for the lack of trying. And it was then that I realized that it wasn’t by choice that I was an only child. Sometimes my mouth could get me into a fix I didn’t want to be in but Max squeezed me again and then we left Michael and mom to discuss the design of the new building. Michael said it wouldn’t be too hard to do at all since the interior was going to be very simple. Probably 900 to 1000 square feet…I heard him ask mom if she wanted a rectangle or a square and she said definitely not a square…it would look like a big boot box sitting there and she didn’t like that idea. Michael chuckled and said okay.

“Well, it’s nice to see you two together again…it doesn’t seem weird at all, as a matter of fact it looks perfectly normal.” Maria started.

“We’re only too happy to please you Maria…but you do know it wouldn’t make a damned bit of difference whether you’re happy about this or not, don’t you?” Max asked.

“Yeah, I sort of figured that girlfriend. So really, what did happen?”

“I’m sure you’ve heard about the kid that caused me to bury two highway patrol vehicles in the sand last week haven’t you?”

“Yeah…and?”

“Well, meet the kid. I knew I recognized that riding but I had no idea it was Liz and then Kyle told me about the kid that always left us eating his dust when we were younger. At least I thought it was a he and then Kyle informed me that it was Liz. I couldn’t believe it. So I basically waited for her to show up on Saturday and took off after her on my bike but she left me standing there shaking my head as usual. knew that she would be at church on Sunday so I found the one I was looking for and when I showed up there she was. I sat about 6 rows behind her and when the service was over I high tailed it out of there, waited in my car and followed her. I met up with her at the restaurant and the rest is history…we had breakfast, dinner and breakfast today. That’s it.”

“Wow, you didn’t waste anytime did you?”

“Maria, we aren’t kids anymore…why should we waste time? It’s been a long time getting to this point I don’t see any reason to waste anymore.” Max informed her.

I just sat and listened to the two of them and when he said we weren’t kids anymore I had to agree with him and if I was right about what he was saying there wouldn’t be anymore time wasted , we’ve wasted enough and I couldn’t be happier.