Happy Father's Day, a sequel (M/L A.U. Mature) Epi. 6/19/11

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Happy Father's Day, a sequel (M/L A.U. Mature) Epi. 6/19/11

Post by mary mary »

A.N. I downloaded this picture from “Roswell the Promise” gallery a few years ago, the graphic was designed by Tanya7496. I hope she doesn’t mind me borrowing a part of it because I love it. I sent her a private message requesting her permission to use this, it was sent in January, and I haven’t heard from her as of this date. I can only assume she doesn’t mind.

Happy Father’s Day: Sequel

Summary: Sequel to Happy Easter… Liz is growing by leaps and bounds and her “partner’s in crime”, as Max likes to call them, are still a large part of her life…let’s see what they’re up to now.

Genre: AU M/L Mature/lang.

Disclaimer : I have absolutely nothing to do with the show Roswell nor any of it’s constituents. I have borrowed the names of the characters because I like them.

*~*~*

Chapter: 1/8

Liz:

Well people, it’s been about eight weeks or so since our Easter bunny fiasco and here I am again. I don’t know how we get ourselves into such shit but it was fun…the cause of the fun was not so good but the fun was just that…fun, and yes, my buddies agree with me. We still laugh about it although our husbands would rather that we never bring it up again. None of them were very pleased with us when we got hauled off to jail but even that was hilarious, my mind is wandering this morning as usual, there’s that damned alarm clock…can’t sleep for some reason, can’t possibly be the big belly preventing me from turning over now, do you think?

Oh, just look at that thing doing it’s happy little dance across my night stand as if it didn’t have a care in the world. I would pitch it out the window only then I would have to have a window person come and fix the damage that a childish fit had caused. Not to mention the grief my sweet husband would give me over pulling such a stunt, and even though he is the cause of all this discomfort I wouldn’t change a thing for all the world. Nope, not one thing.

You see, I’ve been awake off and on all night because my belly looks like I’ve had plastic surgery performed and had two full sized watermelons placed right under my navel, one on top of the other. I swear, Maria did not look this big when she carried Amelia and Mike jr. She said she was but, if so, she hid it well people…let me tell you and my husband, the man I would give my life for, smiles…yes he smiles when I whine about this. He does not think it’s funny, as he has explained to me over and over again, he thinks it’s wonderful. Yes, “wonderful” being the operative word here because I think, at this point in the game that a surrogate would have suited me just fine. Anyway I have to turn the offensive thing off because it is insisting that I give it some attention and then I will roll, yes roll, out of bed. Just as I get the button depressed on “The Thing” that shall remain nameless I feel a strong arm wrap around my watermelons and chuckle. That strong arm pulls me back into the bed that I have almost managed to roll off of and the person attached to that arm gives me a great big kiss, right in the middle of my watermelons and I sigh and the watermelons start to move around like the people inside know what their daddy just did and he laughs. He can do that to me you know, make me sigh. Everyone says I get a whoopee look on my face when he does that but that’s not all I get, I also get a whoopee feeling… to quote Jonathan Winters… “all over my bodeeee!” and it’s wonderful. Watermelons and all!!! I smile and snuggle and Max chuckles at me trying to get close, an impossibility actually but it’s fun trying. Then he gives me a kiss on the head and helps me up, a morning ritual lately and I enjoy it tremendously.

I head on into the bathroom and take care of things before making my way downstairs to start breakfast and get ready for my daily visitors. Either one or both will show up with the kids in tow, school is out for the summer, and they insist on helping. They are here at least three of the five days per week that Max is not here and definitely one of them on Friday. That’s the day they have designated as vacuum and dust day. I would never turn them away but if the truth be known, I would get things done a whole lot faster if they stayed away. Honest, but I could never hurt them that way, never in a million years and Max just shakes his head and smiles. He knows that it would be easier if they stayed at home but they NEED to help as he explained it to me so I let them.

Of course, I will say that the bathrooms are getting to be a little troublesome to get to. Leaning over the bathtub last week, with the cleanser in my hand, was not a fun thing and it felt like I was going to land in the tub head first no matter how much I twisted and turned. This belly people, I’m not kidding, two watermelons!!! Well, breakfast is ready and my husband just walked into the kitchen just as there is a tiny knock at the back door. Tess makes the kids come to the back door so as not to track dirt in the front. Max gives me a huge smile and opens the door to little Terry who he picks up and carries into the kitchen while blowing raspberries all over her little belly. She giggles and says…”Uncle Max! You have to stop that now or I’ll pee and mama will be mad!” Max puts her down and gives Jimmy a high five as Terry runs to the bathroom on the other side of the kitchen and Tess comes in behind the kids carrying a pink box full of pastries. We now know that Maria and her two will be here shortly and Max smiles.

“Good morning miss sunshine! I see we’re expecting a full house today. Anything good in that box?” My husband says as he smiles at our friend.

“You can expect a full house and yes, there are all kinds of goodies in that box but don’t touch the ‘sprinkles’. The kids favorites, and it’s a bribe…’be good or no donuts’ bribe.”

Max laughs at her and then Terry comes back from the bathroom and announces…

“Okay Uncle Max…I peed so you can tickle me now.”

Max chuckles and picks her up and continues with the raspberries… Tess just stands there and shakes her head at the two of them.

“You know you spoil them don’t you?”

And Jimmy, being the big boy that he is informs his mother…

“Uncle Max said that’s what Uncle’s are supposed to do and when Aunt Liz has her babies it will be Dad’s job to spoil them because it will be Uncle Max’s job to make them listen. Right Uncle Max?”

“Right Jimmy. Now, what are you going to do today?”

And I know just how much Max is going to make these two listen…yeah, right, listen…he’ll probably be the instigator.

“Well, mom and Aunt Maria are going to help aunt Liz this morning and I’m supposed to play with the rest of the kids and keep them quiet. Mom said that Aunt Liz will probably play with us while her and Aunt Maria are busy and then maybe we can go to lunch if Aunt Liz feels like it. Mom said that Aunt Liz doesn’t get out too much because she can’t reach the pedals. Right Aunt Liz?”

“Right you are Jimmy and lunch sounds like fun. Where do you think we should go to lunch?” I know exactly where Jimmy will want to go and this should make Tess’s day, she hates Brown Stone Deli…nothing but junk food according to her. Of course you could eat something besides ambrosia and potato chips…there is other food but the food the kids order leaves a lot to be desired in the way of nutrition…the world according to Tess.

“Oh, I would like to go to the Brown Stone Deli but Mom said that I should let you pick today since it’s your treat. What do you think?”

I looked at Tess and she was all but begging me with her eyes and Max’s were dancing out of his head. He could see the dilemma on my face…I wanted to plow down on Tess, but she really didn’t deserve it so I told Jimmy that I thought the food court at the mall would be a great place for lunch because everyone could have what they wanted, now talk about the availability of junk food! He thought about that for a minute and then smiled…like the food court was better?

“Yeah…that would be great. Mike jr. loves the hot dogs and Amelia and Terry like the tacos…I can have a burger and you, Aunt Maria and mom can have what you like too. Can you come with us Uncle Max?”

“Not today buddy, but we’ll make plans for lunch soon…how’s that. Just the two of us and Mike.”

“Boy that sounds super. When?”

“Well, let me check out my schedule at work and I’ll get back to you okay. I’ll plan on picking you up here or at your house. Next week some time?”

“Oh boy, that’s great Uncle Max. Wait till I tell Junior. Cool!”

And Max smiled at the young boy as he kissed the top of my head after hugging everyone else, including Tess, before leaving the house.

Both of us stood there and smiled as he closed the door and two little kids were dancing around us like whirligigs. We just laughed at the two of them as we made our way back to the kitchen table.

“You know Tess, you don’t have to clean my house for me.”

“We know that Liz, but it makes us feel good so just smile and enjoy it. You could probably be done by the time we get started but instead of us just wasting time eating pastries, we feel as though we are accomplishing something. And when the babies come we will take turns giving you a day off. Trust me, that you will thank us for.”

And she got a plate down from the cupboard to put the donuts and pastries on it and soon the doorbell rings again. The house is filling up and it looks like I’m the morning baby sitter while my friends clean my house. Oh well…it’s a good thing I’m not a soap opera buff is all I can say. These kids would be in for one huge education that’s for sure.

*~*~*
Last edited by mary mary on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:42 am, edited 9 times in total.

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Happy Father's Day, a sequel (M/L A.U. Mat.) ch.1 4/23/1

Post by mary mary »

XAF RU208: Yes…August is the due date but keep in mind this story is taking place appx. 8 weeks after Easter, right at Father’s day which is June 19 I believe, not in April. I like to hit the holiday instead of 10 to 20 weeks or more after it. Quirky as hell is what I am. :roll: and yes, I’ve had friends like this too and they’re few and far between.

Lizza:
How nice to hear from you…yes, lots of kids which is most of my stories. I truly enjoy them and enjoy writing them. :D

Carolyn: When I looked at this graphic that is the first thing that came to mind…it looked just like “watermelons” to me so that’s what I call them. :D Glad you like the start, let’s hope I can keep it up. :wink: )

Valentinebaby: I looked like a watermelon with my daughter, I stuck straight out in front…I carried my boys all the way around, looked like a barrel. :lol: This all got started with the turkey and snowballed. It was a lot of fun to write and rather than carry it through as one fic. I decided to break it up. That way I can end it more easily. :D Lol…

Eve: Yep, it’s going to be a real exciting trip that’s for sure… :)

Thank you all for reading and leaving fb. I love it.

*~*~*~*~*

Chapter: 2/8

As soon as I open the door I am bombarded with little people grabbing my legs and hugging for dear life…I make my way to the couch and sit down before being knocked down and grab two little people and hug just as hard as I can without hurting them and then they spy their little cousins. Since Amy and Jim married the “cousin” thing has really caught on. It’s going to be difficult to explain that my two are not their cousins but I think we’ll save that until they are much older and can figure it out for themselves. I will always be Aunt Liz regardless of the fact that I have no siblings to make it legal. Maria and Tess are both laughing at the, what is now, five of us and Maria’s two want to know if I’ve decided where I’m going to lunch. Apparently this has been a huge topic of discussion for the past 24 hours. School being out is really taking it’s toll on my two friends and they are doing their best to deal with the little ones and their energy. They’re still hyped up about staying up later and sleeping in. They think it’s great but their mother’s aren’t too sure about it at all.

“Yeah, we’re going to the food court at the mall so everyone can have what they want. Aunt Liz says it’s the best idea.” Jimmy offers…

Then Maria puts her two cents worth in and says…

“Well if Aunt Liz says so then it must be true.” It wasn’t what she said it was how she said it. She can be a real stick in the mud sometime…

“Maria, did you have some other place in mind? We don’t have to go to the food court.” I add…

“Oh no Liz. The food court is a very good idea…I really didn’t think of it when I was trying to come up with some place that would please everyone. Just leave it to you to fix things right up.” Still surly here people…

“Okay, who pissed you off today already?”

No sense in her lying to me…someone’s done something to throw her into a tizzy.

“Oh, no one really. Mom called earlier and was trying to get us to come over to her place for lunch before she knew we were coming here and some of the conversation didn’t set well is all.”

“Maria, why didn’t you ask her to join us? You know I would love to see her.”

“Well, to tell the truth I never thought of it Liz.”

“Want to give her a call and see if she can join us at the mall?”

“Yeah Maria, that sounds like fun.” Tess added.

Maria looked at the two of us for a minute and then got that (hurt?) look on her face and Tess and I looked at each other wondering just what the hell was really bugging her…and neither of us thought it had anything to do with lunch.

Well, we’ve been down this road before so I took the plunge…

“Hey kids, how about some cartoons and a glass of milk with your donuts. I’ll put them in the den for you. Okay?”

Little Jimmy, being the oldest looked up at me and I nodded yes so he just waltzed out to the kitchen as the others followed and I was right behind them.

I poured four glasses of milk and picked out four donuts with sprinkles, put them all on a tray with some napkins and they all followed me to the den. I opened the door to the closet and pointed to the array of DVD’s hanging there and told Jimmy to find one they all liked and left them to fend for themselves and made my way back to the kitchen.

“Okay Maria, what’s really bothering you? And no bullshit this time.”

Tess just sat there with a mug of hot coffee and nodded her head in agreement.

“I was in Jane’s office the other day and I heard something that upset me.”

“Well, if you’re going to get upset I guess the doctor’s office is a good place to start. What did you hear Maria?”

“I heard that you had to have surgery in February from throwing up.”

“Well, now isn’t that just too special? I had to have surgery two months ago and you’re upset about it today. What else would you like to be upset about today Maria? I didn’t get any last night, is that upsetting enough for you? Or maybe…maybe Mrs. Wilson missed something last week and the perpetrator’s got away with it. How’s that for missing out on news Maria?”

“Well, is it true?”

“Yes Maria, it’s true…it took twenty minutes for Jane to fix a small hernia. Would you like me to take out an ad in the local newspaper and announce to the world that I had a twenty minute hernia repair. Do I look like I have a life threatening disease or something Maria? Because the last time I checked the only thing wrong with me is the fact that I look like the Goodyear blimp and, according to the powers that be, I’m going to get bigger. That’s about the only thing that is bothering me right now and if there was some way to stop this from happening without causing bigger problems I would do it.”

Tess just kept her hands wrapped around her coffee mug and watched the two of us. I swear to God, I really would like to hit Maria sometime, the woman can cause more trouble over nothing than anyone I have ever met…she thrives on it.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because I didn’t want to deal with you Maria Like what I’m going through right now, Can you ever get it through your head that some things are none of your business, the surgery was none of your business…it was a problem and it was taken care of. Bottom line Maria, it was none of your business. Twenty minutes, not life threatening Maria, twenty minutes. Now, about lunch. Is the food court good enough for you or are you wanting to make a federal case of that too?”

“It’s not a federal case Liz, we’re supposed to be friends and friends tell each other everything and you keep secrets.”

“No Maria, you’re wrong there. Friends don’t tell each other everything. Friends are people who are there when they are needed without question and who stand by each other. Which you do, but Maria, you were not needed and it wasn’t a big deal. I went to my other friend, the one who could take care of me and she did. I would ask you how you happened to hear of this surgery but I’m afraid to. I’m almost afraid to think that maybe you saw a file that was none of your business and you read it because, if that’s what you did, I would be very tempted to report you Maria. Very tempted indeed.”

Tess’s eyes got really big and Maria looked down at the floor. I knew immediately that this is exactly what she had done and I knew that I needed to tell Jane. I didn’t want to do this but my God, she can’t go around digging into people’s private lives like that. Then she had the nerve to ask Tess if she knew about it…

“Maria!!! I have forgiven you time after time for your interference and this just about tops them all. I’m really tempted to ask you to leave my home and never come back, but you know what Maria, the thought terrifies me. Do you know why?”

And she sits there and shakes her head ‘no’…God, the woman is not stupid, at least I never thought she was! Then I tell her why…

“Maria, it terrifies me because I have no idea what you would manufacture about me and what you would spread. You are dangerous Maria, you’re mouth is probably the most dangerous weapon in this town barring none.”

And Tess continues to watch us, gripping her coffee mug tighter and tighter and then Maria looks at Tess and says…

“Did you know?”

And that did it…

“Maria, I’m only going to say this once and only once. LEAVE. This invasion of my privacy tops them all Maria! Right now! I want you to leave right now! I don’t want to see you until you have talked this entire conversation over with Michael. I will call Michael and tell him what has just happened and I want you to talk to him. Don’t you dare call me or come back until I hear from Michael and I discuss with him what has transpired here today. If he can’t talk some sense into that ditzy brain of yours then we are through Maria…this friendship is finished. You have overstepped a huge boundary this time and I’m sure Jane will be tempted to press charges when she finds out what you have done, and as far as friends stepping in and being there…this is one time you’re on your own Maria. I will not cover for you on this one. Tess can drop the kids off on her way home…they are busy watching a movie right now and I’m not going to spoil their morning because they have an over possessive, interfering mother who finds it necessary to inflict her wrath on people needlessly. God help the poor little things when they get older.”

Tess’s eyes got as big as I have ever seen them…you can tell by looking at her that she doesn’t believe what she has just heard but I’m really not in the mood for Maria this morning. I am tired and I just want to be left alone…I can’t believe she did this.

Maria looks at Tess like she has something else to say and I just look at her, daring her and she picks up her purse and leaves but she does leave the kids which means she’ll be back. Unbelievable, just unbelievable, she must be on drugs.

Tess looks at me and smiles, I can tell she doesn’t know what to say, I’m sure she is having a hard time believing that Maria would pick up a patient’s file and read it but I know damned well that’s about the only way she could have found out about this. What the file was doing out is another story, if it was out…I can’t believe she would go to a file cabinet and pull it, that’s just too far fetched, even for Maria. I’m tempted not to tell Jane but my God, what if it had been some one else’s file. She can’t be doing things like this, it’s just not right. Then I decided that when I called Michael that I would suggest that Maria get some professional help, this was just plain sick. I’ll wait and talk to Max tonight.

“Well Tess, why don’t we get started on this dusting and vacuuming before it gets any later. Between the two of us we can cut through this place in no time.”

“Liz, are you sure honey. You look awfully tired and I know these intrusions can be a pain in the ass but I figured it’s better for the two of us coming over than you just dealing with one of us.” She really was concerned for my well being and God did I appreciate it.

“You are too kind Tess…no, let’s do this. You’re right, it won’t take any time at all. My biggest problem is cleaning the bathtub, it seems I have an awful time getting around this belly to get really down into it.”

“The bathtub it is and then we’ll take the kids over to the mall and let them run around the play center for awhile before lunch.”

“Sounds like a great plan. I’ll take the living room, dining room and kitchen while you take the bathrooms. How’s that?”

“That sounds great. Are you going to call Michael…and the only reason I’m asking is, if you call Michael he is going to call Kyle and Kyle will want to know what the hell is going on. If you don’t intend to call Mike then I won’t say anything to Kyle.”

“Tess, I’m going to do exactly what I said I was going to do. Michael definitely. She is really out of hand here and then Jane. Jane needs to know that her files are unsafe from nosey patients, if that’s what truly happened. I surely hope to God that she would never pick up another person’s folder. What in the hell possessed her to do that anyway. This is insane. Yes, I am going to call both Michael and Jane. Jane may suggest that she find another doctor, which is probably a good idea anyway. I’m sure as hell not changing…Jane’s too good!”

Tess just looks at me and grins, she said she’d see me in a while and headed upstairs. The subject of her knowing about the surgery never came up and it never will. Maria is a good friend but she needs to know when she has invaded a person’s privacy…crossed boundaries, and there are rules, hell there are laws that need to be observed and obeyed in any relationship. I don’t know if I should tell Max or not, he was upset with her in February and I know he’s not going to like this little stunt one iota. What a mess…damn! I hate this!!!

*~*~*

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Happy Father's Day, a sequel (M/L A.U. Mat.) ch.3 5/7/11

Post by mary mary »

Valentinebaby: Shhh-shhhh-shhhh! It’s fiction!!! Okay, first off let’s accept the fact that Liz didn’t tell Maria about the surgery, it’s done. Maria has been acting weird, weird, weird and it took a really BIG occurrence to bring Liz to the realization that something was going on with Maria. Keep reading… I worked in a hospital lab where I was privy to every test performed on every patient in the hospital. I typed, yes typed on a typewriter, every test result performed by every technician and then sent the reports to the various floors for distribution by the nurses at the various nurses stations to distribute the results to the various charts (this was in 1960). I know the meaning of keeping things private, that’s why I used this example for impact on Maria’s problem. It had to be something big to finally bring Liz to the point of losing it. You are right, it’s criminal. As for Liz going off on Maria, her privacy has just been violated in a really big way and if Maria can do that to Liz imagine, if left to go on in this manner, what she’s going to be like with her kids. I was one of those kids, I know first hand what this kind of a mother is.

No, Tess is not a busy body but these people are very close friends and if Michael calls Kyle, which he probably will, Kyle is going to ask Tess what the hell happened. It’s been my experience with husbands that they are bigger busy bodies than their wives. My husband could go out on Saturday morning to mow the front yard, a 20 minute job, and come in three hours later and tell me everything that went on in the neighborhood all week. So Michael most likely will call Kyle since the girls hang out practically every day…but this will get resolved, honest. (smiles) And thank you so much for your fb. I really enjoy reading your thoughts and I look forward to them. :wink:

Eve: I absolutely agree with you 100%, the woman has overstepped every boundary there is covering privacy...she has committed a crime in reality and let's just hope it is salvageable. :(

Carolyn: She certainly is that... :roll:

*~*~*

Chapter: 3/8

Well, Tess and I took the kids to lunch and then Tess dropped me off back at my house about 2:30 and Maria was sitting in her car in my driveway waiting for me. I looked at her and kept on walking up my driveway without acknowledging her and I could tell she couldn’t believe I would do that. Tough buns Maria…I mean it this time. It’s not going to be easy on either one of us but I’m not caving. Not in this lifetime.

I unlock the front door and as I take my key out of the slot I hear an engine start up, she’s getting the message… I hope, and then I hear her pull out of my driveway. I go into the house and look out the hallway window and I see Tess pull out to follow Maria. I feel sorry for Tess because she really is an innocent in all of this and I just hope Maria doesn’t corral her with any more of her bull shit and I personally feel like hell myself.

I hang my jacket up in the hall closet and make my way to the office in the back of the house and dial Jane’s phone number and leave a message with Maggie to have Jane call me because it’s personal and there’s no urgency. Maggie smiles into the phone, I know this because the girl has that kind of a voice…she oozes sweetness. She tells me that she will see to it that my call is returned as soon as possible and I smile back.

“Thank you Maggie. How are you doing?”

“Oh I’m fine Mrs. Evans. How is everything with you?”

“Just great Maggie. You take care of yourself.” And we rung off.

Then I did the hardest part…I dialed Michael’s cell number.

“Hey Liz?”

“Michael, hey. Michael, do you have a minute to talk to me?”

“Liz, I always have a minute for you. What’s wrong?”

“What makes you say that Michael?”

“We’ve been friends for a long time Liz, it’s in your voice. What did she do now?”

“Michael, I think she read my medical file at Jane’s office. She questioned me about a procedure that I had done in February that she couldn’t possibly have known about unless she read my file.”

“My God Liz!!! Do you know what you’re saying here?”

“Yes Michael I do…and if she got this information at the doctor’s office she has committed a crime. Not only against me personally Michael but against the law.”

“Jesus Liz. What makes you think this?”

Then I told Michael everything that happened this morning and he listened, quietly, and let me get it all out. When I was finished I was appalled at what I had just said and told him so.

“Look Liz. Don’t get yourself upset over this, please. You are right, she had no business confronting you like that about something that she should know nothing about. Don’t ever feel like you are the one that is wrong here. I’ll talk to Maria and find out what is going on and how she found out about this. I’m not sure I understand all of the secrecy but it’s your news to tell Liz and not hers to question.”

“Oh Michael…it really wasn’t the surgery that was the secret. It was the pregnancy. It was right before we planned on telling everyone and I didn’t want the news to just get blurted out before my parents or Max’s parent’s knew about it so that’s why we did the Valentine’s day party. Everyone got told at the same time. The surgery was only a week or so before that and if anyone knew about the hernia they would have known why. That’s all it was about, not the surgery itself.”

“I see. It makes perfectly good sense to me.”

“I made her leave Michael. I actually told her to leave my house and she can’t come back until you call me and tell me you’ve talked to her. Michael, is she on any drugs?”

“None that I’m aware of Liz. But you know Maria, she’s always marched to her own drummer…that’s what makes her Maria.”

“Yeah, you’re right. I feel just awful Michael, but this is even too extreme for Maria, I just feel that something else is going on here. But Michael, I can’t deal with it.”

“Don’t. And I’ll find out how she got the news Liz. Are you okay?”

“Yeah Michael, I’m fine physically but I feel like shit psychologically. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Fair enough little one. You take care now.” Michael has called me little one since he worked for my dad in the Crash when we were just teen-agers, Max does it occasionally as well…I kind of like it for some reason.

“You too…bye.” And we hung up. After I explained everything to Michael it sounded like I was the one that was nuts here…did I over react? Is it pregnancy hormones going nuts or what.

About that time Max came home and found me in the back office almost in tears and he grabbed me up and sat me on his lap and asked me what was wrong so I proceeded to tell him what my day had been like and he just sat and listened…never offered any words of wisdom, no advice whatsoever and when I was all talked out he just stood up with me still in his arms and carried me to the living room where we sat on the couch and he turned on the TV.

Apparently Jane had called him at his office because our phone was busy and he told her that everything was good as far as he knew but he would come home and check on me, all of his appointments were done for the day although he would have to go over to the hospital and check on a couple of little patients this evening but that was it. So here he was.

“Feeling pretty punk are you?” Max asked as he rubbed my back.

“Yep. I actually told her to leave Max. I can’t believe I did that.”

“Well, maybe she’ll think twice about interfering the next time.” Max didn’t seem to be any more upset about this than Michael had and I know he didn’t believe a damned word he had just said.

“What if I falsely accused her Max?”

“Did she not question you about something that happened a couple of months ago. Something that was none of her business to begin with. Liz, we don’t owe Maria any explanations about our life or what goes on in it. She’s already overly involved in everything as it is, not just with us and yes, it’s our fault but it’s a damned shame that we feel the necessity to hide things from her to maintain some peace and quiet in our own home.”

“Well, yeah, that’s true. Do you think I should tell Jane what she did?”

“No. Not until Michael finds out just what the hell actually happened.”

“Yeah, you’re right. I won’t call Jane back until I’m sure and then if I was wrong I’ll just ask her out to lunch to cover why I actually called.”

Max kissed the top of my head as I snuggled down into his lap and for the first time since this morning I relaxed and fell asleep. I hate to say this, but this is the only way I really get a good rest…is in Max’s lap. Bless his heart, it’s got to be uncomfortable for him but he never says a word.

*~*~*

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Happy Father's Day, a sequel (M/L A.U. Mat.) ch.3 5/7/11

Post by mary mary »

XAF RU208: He might...we'll have to ask him... :D

Carolyn: Yes it's serious but we will find out why she's so "nutsy" soon. :wink:

Valentinebaby:
The thing that really urks me about that, is her kids were in the next room and again I really feel if the kids aren't being abused then there's no reason for Liz to step in. It's a violation of Maria's rights as a mother and I doubt Liz would be too happy if Maria said the same thing about her regardless of the reasons for it. Turn about isn't fair play.
I'm so sorry I mislead you...no, her kids weren't in the next room they were a couple of rooms away watching TV and eating donuts and having a good time. They didn't hear the conversation at all. I am so sorry I didn't make that more clear. :(

Eve: Yes, everything will start to make sense soon...this started out way back there a couple of months ago and now it's reached a boiling point so just hang in there with me.

And thanks to all of you for reading.

*~*~*~*~*

Chapter: 4/8

Michael:

Well, that’s a total shock! I don’t know what we’re going to do about her interfering into other people’s lives the way she does. She’s not so bad with most people but she’s honed in on Liz with a vengeance. I know it’s not jealousy…I just wish we could figure out what her problem is. I guess I’ll have to wait until I get home.

Well damn, look who just walked into the gallery alone. What in the hell did she do with the kids? Liz didn’t mention them when she called…Tess must have them.

“Maria, what are you doing here?”

“I need to talk to you Michael.”

“No Maria, not here. We’ll do this at home where we can really talk. You know we can’t be discussing problems here.”

“What makes you think there’s a problem Michael?”

“Come on Maria, I’m not stupid. You think if you bring this up here I won’t yell. Well guess what? I’m not going to yell at you anywhere. I’m taking you to a shrink Maria. You are seriously in need of some help.”

“No Michael, No! That’s not it at all…I was hurt.”

“Hurt Maria? What in the hell do you have to be hurt about?”

“She didn’t tell me Michael…she never mentioned it before or after…and when I heard Maggie talking on the phone about her I had to know so I listened.”

“Maria, none of this is any of your business. If you had an ingrown toenail and had to go to a podiatrist would you tell her? Or…how about this, would you just go have it taken care of.”

“Probably both…I don’t know.”

“Well I do. You sure as hell would go have it cut out and you sure as hell wouldn’t shout it to anyone who was willing to listen that you had a sore toe. Now, I don’t think I believe that you overheard Maggie talking about Liz needing hernia repair…I think Liz is right and if she is we are probably looking at a huge law suit. I need to know the truth…did you read her file at the doctor’s office?”

“It was open Michael.”

“No Maria, it was not open…I can pretty much guarantee that. We are talking a professional office here with safeguards against such things. They don’t even allow patients sign in anymore, they have to tell the receptionist when they arrive so how did you get hold of the file. Maria, you are starting to be very scary!”

“It was just laying there Michael…I don’t know what Maggie was going to do with it, but I swear, it was laying there.”

“It wasn’t laying there open Maria. What if Liz had an STD, do you think she would want you to know about that?”

And my wife had the nerve to laugh…

“Well, answer me Maria because I want you to know that you have disappointed me many times over the years and I think this tops them all. I will not lose my friends over your actions Maria, nor will I stop my children from being friends with them but if Liz refuses to be around you anymore I will comply. Believe me, I definitely will comply because you have a problem. Nobody will feel safe around you anymore.”

“No Michael, that’s not true.”

“Yes Maria, it is true and you need help because you don’t see it. We are going to get you help. If you don’t know the meaning of privacy, true friendship, keeping your nose out of other people’s business then you need some help in understanding the basic principle of manners and privacy. Maria, this act was ill mannered at the least. We won’t even discuss the worst. Liz is waiting for me to call her and let her know if I talked to you and I’m going to tell her to keep away from you for awhile. You need to know what it means to lose someone and you need to realize what caused that loss. You’re pitiful Maria, I could say pathetic but I think pitiful works better.”

“Michael, you don’t mean this. I know she’ll be okay if you just talk to her.”

“Oh, I’m going to talk to her alright…I’m going to tell her that her suspicions were correct, that you did open a file and read something that was none of your business and I know she has already called Jane. So we will see just where this all leads us and hopefully not to court because I don’t carry that kind of insurance, I doubt that any private citizen does for that matter…I’m going to look into it but I sure as shit don’t have it yet. Go home Maria, I can’t stand to be around you right now.”

“But…”

“No Maria, go home. I’m sure Tess will be dropping the kids off soon. Just go. We probably won’t be discussing this any further…I don’t have anything else to say to you but I’m going to call Max and see if he knows someone that can help you understand and make you take responsibility for your actions. Liz did suggest something and I’m almost afraid to ask, but Maria I need to know…have you been taking any drugs lately? Say, something over the counter or has Jane prescribed something new for you that I’m not aware of because I never in a million years would have dreamed you would do this and not feel any remorse, or not even recognize these actions as wrong.”

“Well, Abby did put me on some new birth control pills…it was time to go off them all together but then this new drug came out and we decided to use it instead. That’s why I was in Jane’s office…I wanted her opinion on them. That’s all I’ve been taking Michael, honest.”

“Well…we’ll see what we can find out about them. Just go home. This conversation is over.”

And I watched her literally skip out of the building. Something was definitely wrong and I called Liz immediately.

Max answered the phone and I was sort of relieved that he did. He would know as much as Liz and maybe more about this…

“Hey Max. Maria just left the gallery and Max…something is definitely wrong with her. She’s not acting normal and I don’t mean her actions toward Liz this morning. She did read Liz’s file while at Jane’s office and she doesn’t see a thing wrong with it and then she admitted that Abby put her on this new birth control pill and she was at Jane’s because she wanted a second opinion. Can you call Abby and see what the hell she put her on because the woman is not even acting ‘Maria’ normal.”

“Michael, if this wasn’t so serious I would laugh because we both know Maria has always been a little different but definitely not like this. I’ll give Abby a call and see what she’s taking and how long she’s been on them because I think she might have started this shit back in February or before and it’s gotten progressively worse. I’m going to have Liz lay off telling Jane what she did. You sure as hell don’t need any more drama in your life right now than this and Jane would not take this lightly. Thank God it was Liz and not somebody else. Take her over to the lab and I’ll call Abby and tell her to have them do a blood panel on her. I do know for a fact that some birth control pills can cause mood swings and affect behavior. Maybe this new drug has something in it that her metabolism can’t tolerate. We’ll get to the bottom of this Michael. I just wish we would have noticed sooner.”

“Yeah Max, I agree. In the meantime I’ll get the damned prescription and dispose of it…after I read what the possible side effects are. If there was anyone that could be affected it would be Maria. Thanks buddy.”

“Yeah Mike, take it easy, we’ll fix it big guy.” And we hung up. Well this is just great. I wonder what the hell she’s on and how do we get it out of her system. Shit!!!

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Happy Father's Day, a sequel (M/L A.U. Mat.) ch.5 5/23/

Post by mary mary »

Gracie: Glad to see you are still with me...and yes, a lot of meds can do crazy things to you, :)
Carolyn: Everyone is having problems with the board and I don't think it's just this one...it seems to be all through YUKU...I know I'm having problems over at RH as well. As for Maria, I'm sure they'll find out what her problem is soon. :wink:
Eve: Boy are you right there, but it's my understanding that when you have mental problems you're the only one that doesn't realize that you're strange! :roll: That's the bad part! :roll:
XAF RU208: Yeah, that would be awful but I don't think it will come to that.

*~*~*

Chapter: 5/8

Max:

It was only 4:30 p.m. so I decided to give Abby a call and tell her what our suspicions were regarding Maria’s birth control prescription and thank God she wasn’t with a patient.

“Abby, Max here. Hey, we’ve got a problem with Maria Guerin. She’s really acting strange, mood swings…personality differences and the like and her husband just gave me a call and wanted to know if I could find out if there could be a connection to the new prescription you put her on and how long she’s been on it? He’s really concerned Abby, and as a matter of fact so are the rest of us.”

“God Max, why didn’t someone tell me sooner. Hold on.” And so I waited while she checked…

“Max, you know this is privileged right?”

“Abby, I’m calling in a professional capacity here and if you’re uncomfortable giving me the information then call her husband at the gallery and talk to him.”

“No Max, I know you aren’t Maria’s doctor but I also know you treat her kids so here goes. She went on the new prescription in January…she’s slowly working her way up to the four times a year cycle…when did you start noticing these “mood” changes?”

“Well, I personally had a run in with her in February but we just chalked it up to a bad night. It was the morning I brought Liz home from the hospital and she was just too pushy, more so than usual. Maria likes to stick her nose in everything but nothing like what was starting to take place on that morning. I felt badly about the way I talked to her but Liz smoothed it over and Maria acted like it never happened, which was good but not natural for Maria. Our Maria would have been hurt by my harsh words…this Maria acted as if I hadn’t spoken to her at all. Abby, something is wrong here…she’s just not our Maria and it’s getting worse.”

“Max, I will call her and tell her to throw the pills away and I’ll get her to go over to the lab and do a blood panel immediately. We’ll fix it Max, it will only take about a week to flush them, I hope, but in the meantime we need to make sure she doesn’t take anymore of them. I’m so sorry, I wish she would have informed me about this.”

“That’s just it Abby, I don’t think she knows and Michael had no idea she was on a new prescription. To tell the truth, I don’t think any of us would have thought of drugs but she and Liz are more like sisters than friends and Liz is the one who thought of drugs.”

“Well, leave it to the resident genius…we’ll get to the bottom of it Max and if you don’t see an improvement within a week have Michael give me a call, or you. I know you’re all joined at the hip so let me know. I’ll flag her file and keep close tabs on it, just make sure Michael knows she needs to drink water, gallons if possible.”

“Thanks Abby, are you going to call Michael or should I?”

“I think Michael needs to hear from his friend Max but I’ll call him with the medical report.”

“Ill give you a couple of minutes and then give him a call back and let him know what I think…he really needs some cheering up right now, Maria is his life regardless of how mad she makes him. We all know this.”

“Yes Max, we do. Give Liz a hug for me and tell her I’ll see her next week.”

“Will do Abby, and thanks.”

“You’re very welcome Max and thank you for recognizing a problem before it got really bad.”

“Yeah, good bye Abby.” And then I thought to myself, I don’t know how much worse it could be.

I hear some stirring in the living room and make my way back down the hall to where I left Liz sleeping about twenty minutes ago. The poor thing, she doesn’t sleep much at all anymore unless I’m holding her…it seems to take the pressure off her stomach and I haven’t told her this but I love to feel the babies moving around when she’s all cuddled up next to me like that. They don’t seem to bother her too much when she’s on my lap like that and that pleases me to no end. The feeling is like none other, I really can’t explain it but, and I know this is ridiculous, but it almost feels like they know I’m there and they are speaking to me. Don’t ever tell anyone I said this, they’d have me committed, but it’s how I feel.

“Liz, sweetheart, I’m so sorry I left you alone like that but I wanted to talk to Michael and I knew I’d wake you up. Abby changed Maria’s birth control prescription in January and we think she’s having a reaction to them. Michael is going to take her in for a complete blood panel and Abby is going to call her and tell her what we suspect. Michael is going to make sure she disposes of any remaining pills and we will go from there. We are almost, not quite positive, but almost sure this is the cause of her mood swings. Abby said the warnings are printed on the label of the drug and she told Maria but, really, when you get right down to it how would Maria know. I guess it took us to realize, well you really, that something was wrong. We’ll get her fixed up Liz, honest. And Liz, she did read your file at Jane’s office. What you do with that information is up to you. I told Michael we wouldn’t tell Jane but someone there need’s to be more careful. Everything is computerized these days so what would a hard copy be doing sitting out where someone would have access to it?”

Liz sat and listened to me babble for quite awhile before interjecting any thoughts of her own on the subject and when I finally stopped for a breath of air she looked at me very sadly and nodded…

“Oh Max, I feel so badly for her and now that we know there could be an explanation for this behavior I also feel relieved. I am so sorry for Michael and I wish I would have just kept my mouth shut but she just kept pushing. God, what a mess. I think I will discuss this with Jane, not to put the blame on Maria so much but to prevent this from happening to some one else. I can’t imagine why a hard copy of a file was sitting out like that…it could have happened to anybody. Good Lord!”

“Yeah, you’re right…but not everyone would pick up a file and read it either.”

“Yeah, I know, but still…God, I don’t want to get her in trouble. Maybe I can word it to where the danger is presented without pointing fingers at the result…what do you think?”

“That probably will be better. Point out that it was brought to your attention that your file was laying out and accessible to other patients and you were wondering why without making accusations toward anyone. That will do it Liz, very good…but you were never known for your stupidity were you?”

“Now you’re being silly Max…hey, you hungry yet?”

“Yeah, I think I could eat something…what would you girls like?”

And Liz giggled at me and said,

“I think we would like a nice juicy steak with a baked potato and a nice big portion of tossed salad with some ranch dressing…maybe some vanilla ice cream later? What do you think?”

“Sounds delicious. I’ll fire up the bar-b-q and then put a couple of potatoes in the oven.”

“Help me up Max…I’ll start the salad and check out the freezer to see if we have any pie in there…Pie and ice-cream sounds yummy, right babies?”

And she rubbed her belly after I helped her up off the couch. God she’s getting huge but I’m not about to tell her that, instead I bend over and kiss her belly before heading outside to the bar-b-q. I love her so much that it makes me want to shed tears of happiness…

Liz:

Max is outside starting the bar-b-q and I’m washing vegetables and getting ready to make a salad when the kitchen phone rings…

“hello…”

“Hey Liz…how are you feeling?”

“Jane! How are you, I was going to call you back but I fell asleep and it completely slipped my mind.”

“Oh I’m fine, I was just returning your call. Maggie said it was a personal call so I waited until I had the chance to talk without interruption. Are you feeling alright?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact I am…going to have a big juicy steak for dinner and that is really going to be fine. Jane, the reason I called was somewhat personal in a way, not life threatening but it was brought to my attention that a hard copy of my medical file was left in a spot in your office that was accessible to patients and I know this is almost next to impossible so I was just wondering what was going on?”

“Oh my God Liz…tell me you’re joking!”

“No, I’m not joking Jane…I thought everything was computerized.”

“It is, Maggie printed out some files in error that had been forwarded over from the hospital and put them in file folders until she has a chance to copy them over and then shred them. God, I hope nothing was compromised…Liz, please tell me everything is okay.”

“Jane, I’m not going to tell you that EVERYTHING is okay, but I will tell you that it is being taken care of and that has to be good enough. I’m not going to tell you anymore than that but Lord, do speak to Maggie. You know this could have turned into a really bad situation if it was someone else.”

“Holy crap Liz, don’t I know it. I will deal with it right now, as soon as we’re off the phone. Maggie should be home by now and I will make dead certain that everything has been transferred and shredded. Are you sure you are okay with this situation?”

“I’m positive. Now, how do you feel about a lunch date? It’s been too long.”

And our conversation continued on along those lines. I feel the situation has been dealt with and I have another nail to add to the coffin of the administration of the hospital…the surgery was in Feb. and they are just now getting information off to my doctor in June. This is unacceptable. I’m not going to tell Max about my extra curricular activities I’ve got going on here but since the episode with Cassie and my leave of absence I have been compiling a complete investigative file of my own on Roswell General. I intend to take this information to Philip when I am finished and see what he has to say about it. Now to get back to my vegetables….

Phone again people…is there any rest in this house, I ask you?

“Hello!”

“Hey Liz…are you okay?”

“Hey Tess, yes I’m fine. Michael called and talked to Max and then Max called Abby. I can’t tell you what they think is going on because then I would be guilty of what Maria is guilty of and that just wouldn’t be right but I will say that I think things are going to be fine…all around. How about you, any phone calls?”

“No, she came over and picked the kids up after she left the gallery but the only thing she said was thanks. I hope she’s okay Liz…I’ve been thinking about this and even for Maria it’s not right.”

“We know Tess and it’s going to be fixed, honest. Max called Abby and Jane called me after having talked with Max and then Michael. We’re all on the same page here and it’s really going to be okay. What else is going on?”

“You mean besides the little ones driving me nuts wanting to know what to do. They’ve managed to fill their coloring books…put three puzzles together, and not the easy ones either, and now I have them cutting their favorite pictures out and pasting them onto copy paper. What we’re going to do with them when they’re finished is still a mystery but I’ll think of something. Maybe we can do a Picasso decoupage and have Michael hang it in the gallery, what do you think?”

Now she has me giggling….

“You know what Tess, that sounds like a great idea. Hey! Do you and Kyle still have your camping gear?”

“Yeah, I think so. Why?”

“How does a camping trip sound? Fishing, swimming, hiking? You know, get out of town, let them all run through the woods and get worn out.”

“Liz, I hate to tell you this honey, but in case you haven’t noticed your belly looks like Shamu here girl. You can’t be doing all of that shit.”

“Well, I don’t think I can run through the woods but I sure as hell can walk through the woods and I can sunbathe and fish. What’s wrong with that? How about it? Father’s day is in two weeks, we could go next week-end and then do our big bar-b-q for Father’s day. Come on…it will be fun and the kids will love it.”

About that time Max comes in the kitchen and overhears the part about fishing and raises one eyebrow as he takes the steak out of the fridge and I smile, sweetly, at him and he shakes his head and goes back out to the patio.

“Liz you’re nuts! Do you want to ask the Guerins?”

“Of course I do. I’ll give her a week to get that shit out of her system and she’ll be fine.”

“What shit Liz?”

Damn, I’m as guilty as the next one…

“The wrong birth control…there, and I never said a word.”

“Well thank God you did. I’ve been so worried and imagining all sorts of scenarios here…Christ, what a teacher she’s been. Thank you Liz, and you know I won’t say a word…not even if it’s brought up in conversation. Do you want company tomorrow?”

“I don’t think so Tess, wait until Wednesday. That will give us a couple of days to get ready for the camping trip and then we can get together and make some plans.”

“Sounds good, take care Liz and don’t try to do too much. We can always work as a group you know.”

“I know…take care girlfriend. See you Wednesday.”

“You bet and I’ll call Maria and tell her what we want to do. You know she’s going to be disappointed that she wasn’t in on the conversation.”

“Tell her we don’t have ‘conference calls’ on our cells. She’ll be fine.”

“If you say so. Bye.” And we hung up…

Max came back into the house to get a clean plate for the steaks just as I started to set the table and looked over at me and smiled…

“Something to discuss over dinner?”

“Yeah, we’re going camping this week-end.”

He shook his head and went on out to the patio again…

*~*~*

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Happy Father's Day, a sequel (M/L A.U. Mat.) ch.: 6 5/3

Post by mary mary »

Wow, this chapter really stirred the pot didn't it!!! :P

Eve: Max takes things in his stride where Liz is concerned…he trusts her to the ultimate and will go along with what she wants most of the time, within reason that is. She’s his life.

Nibbles2: Welcome…so nice to hear from you and I’m really amazed at the time you’ve taken to go over my little fic. It’s really in depth here.

As for the assumption that Maria’s problems stem from the birth control pills, I feel it’s valid at this point. Maria has always been ‘ditzy’ for lack of a better term. They all love her and know that something is wrong. The only thing different at this point is the pills. If it isn’t the pills it will be dealt with but at the moment it’s easier to think that, once they’re flushed, she’ll be fine and all indications are the pills. She’s a classic example of what they can do.

As for “gossiping”…well…Max is a doctor, Liz is the doctor who will most likely do the tests on Maria’s blood and report the results back to Maria’s doctor who also happens to be Liz’s doctor. Michael consulted his friend, a doctor, regarding his wife and yes, he’s devastated by her actions. He’s also angry with her, which to me is perfectly normal at this point. I’d probably want to slit her throat out of frustration because she sees nothing wrong with her actions, which, up to this point nobody realized she was acting stranger than usual…no this is not normal for Maria. Who, by the way, wouldn’t hesitate one single minute to call one of her friends on a similar act. So, yeah, we’re dealing with a bunch of close friends here who are very concerned for their friend who also happen to be doctors sharing facts regarding her well being and trying to find answers without bringing charges against her and compounding her problem. Granted, this is a mess, I intended it to be. I don’t know if you’ve read the other parts that lead up to this fic or not but this has been building since Valentine’s day…before that was Thanksgiving and then Christmas, but Valentine’s day is what started the issue with Maria’s behavioral changes. They are all very short little fics…four chapters or so each, leading up to this part. Not important though, just some background. And thank you for your time and consideration…we probably won’t agree on how this is dealt with, but that’s what makes all of this fun.

Vaslentinebaby:
Can you tell that I don’t like Maria? :lol: No, seriously, I don’t know if you’ve ever had a relationship where the one you love most in the world has frustrated you to the point of wanting to commit murder because you can’t seem to reach that person logically. As for Michael Loving Liz more than Maria, I doubt it, but he does love Liz. He trusts her judgment and feels exactly the same way about Max, Tess and Kyle. And Liz loves Maria, believe it or not, and she wants to help her…and remember Liz has some serious hormonal changes she’s dealing with too, and she’s not getting enough rest even though she is only working a few days a week it’s still putting a strain on her.

As for getting a divorce…Nah!!! On a normal day this conversation wouldn’t have happened and had it happened it would have been more two sided and a whole lot of fun… if both parties were ‘normal’ that is. Right now Maria really isn't hearing what anybody else is saying, she's only wrapped around her own thoughts.

Carolyn:
Thanks, after the other two I needed that. :lol: It must be an age thing.

MirasMiracle:
Mira, you mentioned that a significant other would never say things like that…wellllll, my significant other wouldn’t have hesitated a single second to point out any wrong he thought I was doing in a heart beat. He was my significant other for the biggest part of my life so we won’t ever criticize Michael for his honesty. If the truth hurts suck it up and fix it. As for Liz being arrogant, well, maybe in your eyes she is but Maria has been on her case for far too long…as for Maria’s other friends, she has none. No one else will tolerate her and she is a good person, she’s just lost somewhere in all of this and her friends, the arrogant one especially, is going to find out why. Can you tell I’m suffering from a horrible sinus infection right now so I’ve lost all thoughts that tell me to be “politically correct” and I need to vent at someone…I choose you guys. Boy this chapter really brought out the big guns didn’t it?

Grace: You sweetheart…when you have these kinds of friendships it’s like a family. Everyone knows everything about what’s going on, or at least they think they do. In Maria’s case she wants to know everything, she thrives on it and she beats it to death on a good day. Frankly, I would never have had a friend like Maria, she’s dangerous.

I thought about redoing this reply and then changed my mind...you guys were honest with me so why not be the same? :)

*~*~*

Chapter: 6/8

Max:

While I’m out here on the patio cooking up a couple of steaks my cell phone rings…it’s Michael.

“Hey Michael, what’s up?”

“Maria is on the phone with Tess right now and they’re discussing going camping this week-end up in Frazier Woods. Max! first, aren’t our wives feuding and second, have you gotten a really good look at Liz lately…she looks like a pregnant walrus for god’s sake!”

I had to laugh at Michael…he really is a big soft hearted teddy bear when you get to the bottom line.

“Michael, I’m out on the patio cooking steaks because my girls want steak…I overheard part of a conversation between my wife and I’m assuming Tess about a camping trip this week-end. So yes, I vaguely know about a camping trip…not all of the details yet but I’m thinking out here as I’m cooking. I am well aware of the size of my wife’s belly, shit she’s well aware of it, so here’s the deal. I know we’ll be discussing it over dinner and whatever she comes up with I am going to go along with it. If she wants to go camping then I’m going down to the RV rental office and get the most comfortable travel trailer, motor home or camper I can get for her. Something that she can curl up into and enjoy while getting out of the house. So yes Michael, if she wants to go camping we are going camping so I suggest that you and the rest of the group make some plans if you want to join us.”

“Okay buddy, you know what’s best I guess…I sure as hell wouldn’t have wanted Maria out in those woods when she looked like that, that’s for sure.”

“Michael, if I had my druthers’ I’d much rather take her to a nice hotel/spa somewhere and let her relax in a tub of bubbles but if she would rather go fishing and hiking then we will go fishing and hiking. I am not going to argue with her over this…it’s her idea not mine.”

“Okay. Do you think we should rent an RV?”

“Hey Mike, you do what’s best for your family and I’ll take care of Liz. I do know that if Liz wasn’t as big as a barrel right now that we would be in a tent only because she really enjoys a tent for some damned reason. I have a pretty good idea why but it’s nothing I intend discussing with anybody any time soon.”

“Gotcha…senior year ditch day…we were all there Max, remember?”

“Shut up Mike. Talk to you later.” And I grinned…we rung off just in time to take the steaks off the grill, I plated them up and headed on back into the house and found my wife sitting at the table patiently waiting for her ‘entrée’ and I could smell blackberry pie baking. She was serious about this desert thing...Well, it’s nice to know she’s going to keep it down.

“So sweetheart, about this camping trip? What did you have in mind?”

“Oh, I just thought it would be fun for the kids to go up to the mountains and run off some steam. Someplace where they were free to play in the dirt and get dirty, give Tess and Maria a chance to settle them down. Then on Father’s day, when everyone comes over they will have something to tell their grandparents about. What do you say?”

I smiled…don’t you think it’s awfully nice of her to ask me what I have to say about it after everyone has been invited, I’m not going to be sarcastic with her, never…so I smile as I continue to chew…damn this steak is good! I swallow and look at her… her eyes are starting to squint a little…she thinks I’m pissed…I can tell…

“Sweetheart, if you want to go camping then we will go camping only on one condition…” And I look at her. I’ve got her attention now…

“What’s that?” She asks, giving me that look, you know the one…the one that says ‘you better be agreeable to this’ look.

“The condition being that, we rent an RV so you won’t have to sleep on the ground and crawl around in a tent trying to change clothes. You’ll be with everyone, doing the same activities as everyone but you and the girls will be comfortable.”

She looks at me and grins…when I include “the girls”, meaning the babies, she gets a really happy look on her face and it melts my heart…she definitely has that pregnancy glow, no doubt about it.

“Okay, an RV it is. Can you bring it home on Thursday so I can get it ready?”

“Yes, if you think you need it on Thursday then Thursday it is.”

“Well, you know it takes a couple of days to get all of the camping gear ready so I can only assume that, since we aren’t taking the tent and sleeping bags that I’ll need to make a bed and load up towels, food and clothes so yeah, bring it home on Thursday and we can leave on Friday. That way we’ll have all day Saturday and come home Sunday afternoon. I can put everything away on Monday and you can take it back on Monday afternoon. That’s just a couple of days shy of a week right?”

“That’s right sweetheart, a couple of days shy of a week.” All for a week-end in the mountains I think to myself, but she’s happy and it will be fun.

*~*~*

Wednesday:

Right at 9:30 my doorbell is ringing and there they stand…I smile at my two friends and the four little cherubs standing in front of them and I am so happy to see them and then I notice Terry and Jimmy. They have something for me and Tess gives me this wide grin and I just look at her, the little sneak.

“Aunt Liz look what momma said we could bring you.”

And I looked. It’s their Picasso collage and I giggle. Like hell she didn’t know what to do with them.

“Well bring them on in so Uncle Max can see them before he goes to work. Amelia and Junior how are you? You look so nice today. Are you going somewhere special?”

“Only here Aunt Liz…mommy wanted us to put our school clothes on today.”

“Oh, well you should have brought your bathing suits and you could have gone swimming for a little while. Maybe next week you can bring some over and leave them. How will that be?”

Their eyes got really big and they looked at Maria who just stood there not knowing what to say or do. I know she is on a lot of liquids, by the gallon, for a while and she’s trying really hard to understand just what is happening to her. Abby did not discuss anything with me but Michael called and checked in with Max. They are trying to flush her system with water and I’m sure it will help. It’s just going to take time.

I give her a hug and then Max comes into the hallway to get his sweater out of the hall closet and gives her and Tess both a hug before bending down and hugging all of the kids…then he notices the collages and looks at me with a grin.

“We’re going to have to get a couple of frames for the new artwork Max. They made these, aren’t they lovely?”

“They are the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen and in a couple of years I think we will return the favor…what do you think Liz?”

“Oh, I think that’s a marvelous idea…don’t you Tess?” And Maria starts to laugh. The kids are totally in the dark about this but Tess knows Max won’t forget. If the truth be told though, the pictures are quite nice actually, if your into modern ‘something’?

So we see Max off to work and I get everyone settled with some drinks, coloring books and cartoons in the family room and my partners in crime and I start making plans for our camping trip. Maria knows about the RV because Michael told her but Tess still doesn’t know anything about it and I proceed to tell them that Max will bring it home tomorrow and that way I can have it loaded up and we can leave on Friday. The next thing we discussed was the menu for the week-end and activities. We’ll let the men decide what they want to do about fishing bait and then we decide the kids needed outfitted with some fishing equipment so we gathered everyone up and headed to the “Bait and Tackle” shop on the outskirts of town to let Eddie help us get what we needed. I laughed out loud at my thoughts and everyone, including the kids, looked at me a little strangely.

“You know what? I think I’m going to get a couple of little poles and tackle boxes in pink for Max for Father’s Day… He’s been talking about ‘his girls’ lately so I think all of his girls need fishing gear…don’t you?”

Maria and Tess both look at me like I’ve lost the remaining screws in my head and then they both nod…yeah…So when we got to the “Bait and Tackle” everyone got new fishing poles, and tackle boxes. The kids didn’t get any hooks but Eddie fixed them up with little lines that you attached fish food to and they were tickled to pieces. I had him put mine into boxes for me so I could wrap them up…this is going to be so much fun!!! It took the better part of our morning to get things together and then the girls took me home for a nap and they headed on home with their brood. It was a lot fun and Maria had seemed pretty stable. We never mentioned the incident from the other day and I will never bring it up to her…I hope she can forgive me also. I think I should have acted a little differently as well but there’s no sense in whipping a dead horse…it’s over and I hope she can get all of that shit out of her system quickly. It seems to be working so far.

*~*~*

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Happy Father's Day, a sequel (M/L A.U. Mat.) ch.6 5/31/

Post by mary mary »

Gracie said:
Fear not, I am not going to continue the debate! Although I think writers love a good debate
Good!!!

Only one comment before I start my little Thank you's and that's what you get today...I really don't appreciate taking a portion of a comment of mine and expounding on it...I said: " I don't like Maria, can you tell? :lol: " Don't forget the laugh...it was a joke!!! It was like watching the presidential address and then watching the 11:00 p.m. news and finding out that the news announcer heard an entirely different address than I did! Bash, yell, criticize and complain all you want but don't take things out of context.
Enough said.

Thank you to:
Valentinebaby 3X
Carolyn
XAF RU208
Eve
Michelle 4X
Gracie

You are all swell!

Now...Gloves off ladies, here's number 7 if your interested.

*~*~*

Chapter: 7/8

Thursday is here and Max left right at eight o’clock to head over to the RV rental lot along with Michael to drive the truck home after they pick up the motor home. He went by yesterday and he felt the motor home was the best way to go because, and people this is a quote, ‘the kids will probably want to stay with us’…I have no idea why the kids will want to stay with us but I’m not going to argue with him. I did ask him if I needed extra sheets and blankets and he informed me that they would be using their slumber party sleeping bags that they use when they stay over with each other. Then I asked him what kind of accommodations we were going to have and he informed me that we would be sleeping in a deluxe queen sized bed and to use my own judgment after I see the thing. So I am patiently waiting for him and Michael to get back with this thing. Tess and Maria are here with the kids of course so we shall all have a look.

It took about an hour but I hear some laughing in the driveway and the three of us get up from the kitchen table and look out the back door and “Oh. My. God.” comes out of three grown women at the same time. People, let me tell you, this thing is as big as a grey hound bus…I kid you not. Kyle is driving it and our husbands are all laughing. I don’t know what the hell is going on but I swear my husband has lost his mind. They all turn and look at Maria, Tess and me and stand there grinning from ear to ear then Michael pops up with…

“Your chariot awaits m’lady!” and Kyle and Max both start laughing…apparently there has been some razzing and harassing going on about this thing and I fully understand why.

“Max Evans, have you lost your mind? Where in the hell are we going to find a place to park this thing? There isn’t a campsite in Frazier Woods big enough to park this…hell Max, Frazier Woods isn’t big enough to park this thing.” And the three men start laughing harder.

“We ran into River Dog and he told us to come to the reservation for the week-end because the camp grounds are really crowded and if we go to the reservation we can really have a peaceful week-end so we went with the luxury model.”

Michael and Kyle just stood there looking at him and shaking their heads and I had to take a look…Tess and Maria followed and when we got inside we couldn’t believe it. The damned thing was huge and had every modern convenience known to man.

“Max, this isn’t going to be camping at all.”

“Sure it is Liz…it’s just the girls will be more comfortable in this…so will the kids. The couch makes into a double bed, the breakfast area turns into a double bed and the four chairs turn into single beds. Shit Liz, we can all stay in here.”

All I can say is, they aren’t even born yet and they are going to be the number one comfort subject in the house and I smiled.

“Speak for yourself Max, unless it rains I’m in the tent.” Michael informed my husband and then Kyle said the same thing. Maria and Tess just shake their heads and agree with their husbands and about that time four little faces pop through the door followed by the rest of their bodies.

“Uncle Max…can we sleep in here?” Little Terry wants to know and then the other three chime right in wanting to know the same thing.

“Of course you can sleep in here or you can sleep in the tents with your mommy and daddy.”

“NO!” they all answered as one…so it was decided that the kids would share the motor home with Max and me. This is ridiculous is what it is.

After we have our little discussion I make my way through the thing and it is nice, really nice. A full sized bathroom, tub and shower, closets everywhere and a really nice queen sized bed. I definitely will put the comforter and pillows in the cupboard and use my own but other than that it was going to be some week-end. I was all for not having to sleep in a sleeping bag only because of the problem getting around with the watermelons but this goes beyond my imagination.

Soon our husbands all take off for work and leave us to our chores. I decide that a trip to the deli is in order before we do anything else so we lock up the “Bus” and get the kids all buckled into the SUV and head to the market. This time we stay together because we need to choose meals for everyone for three days. It really is going to be fun. If it does rain we are covered…literally.

*~*~*

Amelia and Mike jr. head straight for the pies and cakes and Terry and Jimmy go right over to the fish section. I had to ask why and was rewarded immediately with Jimmy’s toothless smile as he explained,

“Aunt Liz…we are going fishing so we need to know what to expect. Terry wants to make sure that we know what we’re looking for so I told her I would show her. Eddie told us that we don’t need to have a license because we’re little but we still need to make sure that we know what a fish looks like. When mommy buys fish at the market it doesn’t have eyes and stuff, just white stuff…and sometime it’s pink but here…” and he points to a very dead, very complete cat fish, “they have all their parts still attached.”

“Well, you’re certainly right about that. Do you think we should buy some fish?”

“Nah…my dad, Uncle Mike and Uncle Max will catch enough fish for everyone. Besides, we have to eat something besides just fish. Mom says a balanced diet is good for you.”

“Well, yes it is sweetheart, so what do you think we should buy if not fish.”

“Well, I think we should just take stuff out of the refrigerator at home. Mom has all kinds of good stuff in the refrigerator at home.”

About that time Tess joins us and she looks a little green as she turns her head away from the catfish that are staring at her from the butchers case, she never was very good at looking at dead things.

“Liz, what are we doing over here…aren’t we going to get some salads and stuff so we aren’t spending the entire week-end cooking.”

“We are but Jimmy promised Terry to show her what a fish looks like so if she catches one she will know it by sight.”

“Oh. Well Terry sweetie, do you think you’ll recognize a fish now? You have seen many pictures of fish and we have fish for dinner some time.”

“Welllll, the pictures in my books are pictures of pink and blue fish that talk and the fish we eat don’t look like this fish. Our fish don’t have eyes.” Tess looks like she is about to toss her cookies as she reaches down and takes her little daughter’s hand…

“Come on sweetie, let’s find something really good to put in Aunt Liz’s refrigerator on the bus. We don’t have to worry about what we take this time since there’s a refrigerator and freezer on this thing. Right aunt Liz?”

“Right. Just get whatever you want…we’ll eat like kings!”

And we leave the fish section of the deli.

*~*~*

When we get back home from the market Terry falls asleep in the bedroom of the “bus” after the bed was made up and Tess, Maria and I put everything we thought we might need away and things we knew we wouldn’t but took anyway. We decided that, since all of the facilities were there we would just haul everything on the bus and all travel together. So Maria and Tess went home and loaded up their tents and sleeping bags…food the kids liked and brought it all back. By the time Max came home the “bus” aka: motor home was all packed with everything and he stood there looking at me smiling.

“What?”

I asked.

“Nothing. I told Mike and Kyle that we could leave tonight if they could manage it and we had a bet going. I won. Do you want to take off now?”

“Well, do you think that Mike and Kyle can get off? How about you?”

“We’ve got it covered. Do you want to take off now?”

I stood there smiling at my husband and nodded yes. This was going to be so much fun. I ran/waddled fast into the house and grabbed the phone just as my cell phone rang.

Tess…

“Liz, are we?”

“Yes, hurry over.” And we hung up…then Maria was on the phone not a second later…

“Are we leaving now?”

“Yes…get over here pronto. Terry is still asleep but that’s okay. I just need to grab some DVD’s , have the kids grab a couple of theirs as well.”

“Will do.”

And in an hour we were on our way to the reservation. I called River Dog before we left the house to tell him that we were coming tonight instead of tomorrow night and he informed me that Max had already figured we would. I just looked at Max and he smiled at me and then kissed my belly as he made his way to our bedroom to grab his overnight bag. He never shaves when we’re camping but he just might this time since there’s a bathroom handy. I sat at the kitchen table and smiled…this is going to be so much fun.

*~**

We arrived at the reservation around 7:30 and River Dog had a young boy on a horse waiting for us at the main road. Max pulled over to the side of the highway and the young man stood there with the reins in his hands shaking his head then he dropped the reins down, letting them rest between the horses two front hooves and came over to the door as Max opened it and he smiled at all of us.

“Hi Max, Grandpa said it would be big but I had no idea it would be a house. Do you need a pilot car to haul this thing?”

Max laughed…

“Hi Eddie…are you going to lead us in or just give us a map.”

“Neither…grandpa said to tell you to come up to the house. We are planning on having all of you for a bar-b-q and tomorrow you can go over to the camp site he has chosen for you. It’s going be too dark to really get things going anyway.”

“Okay, we’ll se you in a bit.” And young Eddie mounted his horse and took off at a nice jog trot in the soft shoulder running next to the paved road. It looked as though the young boy had done this many times before.

Mike Jr. took all of this in and then he looked at his dad and asked, very seriously…

“Can I have a horse?”

I thought Maria was going to choke on her Pepsi and Michael looked at his son with a raised eyebrow…

“Where would we put it?” The word ‘No’ never entering Michael’s mind…

“We can move.” Simple enough…

“Where to?”

“How about here. It looks like they have plenty of room. We could live in this thing.” Meaning the motor home.

“Hmm…have it all figured out do you? Well, let me think about it buddy, okay?”

“Yeah, okay.” And the subject was closed. And…knowing Michael, he would give it some thought. He was truly a great dad and he never made fun of the kids or told them “NO” outright, unless no was the only answer. It was always well thought out, all arguments answered in his head before he vocalized and the kids seemed to be happy with all decisions after thinking about them. Although a straight no up front was sometimes needed; I think the kids knew that before they ever asked the questions.

~~*~*~~

Well, last evening went well, we all slept in the motor home and it really was quite comfortable. We put the kids in the pull out chairs on their sleeping bags…Tess and Kyle on the pull out couch and Maria and Michael in the kitchen booth. We were all impressed.

After breakfast we loaded everyone up and took the map River Dog had made for us and proceeded up the single lane road about five miles and came to a clearing that over looked the lake and it was beautiful. There were trees all around, it was clean and close enough for the kids to be in our sight at all times but far enough away for them to have plenty of room for a good game of catch or whatever else they might think of. I’m so glad we decided to come here instead of the usual campground and with the motor home self contained it was really going to be nice. Of course we can save on a lot of water by swimming instead of showering every day but that’s what we would have done had we been tent camping anyway. This was great. Kyle and Michael set their tents up close enough to the motor home to get to the kids should they be needed but far enough away for some privacy and Max and I looked at each other and grinned. They aren’t shitting us one damned bit…they like the idea of the kids bunking in with us, not that we mind, but they are so obvious.

So, after we had everything set up and were ready to relax and have some fun everyone put on their bathing suits and got the kids rafts blown up for them, beach towels spread out, a clothes line strung up between two trees for wet towels and they all went in for a dip. Even I went in and got my feet wet before relaxing in my little chair I had brought off the patio. I took the book I had been reading with me and I sat in the sun and rested the book on my belly and proceeded to read and bask, it was great. It was so nice to get away from the norm for awhile, although this was just a little more than I had envisioned when I suggested it I had to admit it was quite nice.

Since we weren’t at a regular camp site the usual picnic tables, out houses and fire pits were not available so we just decided to take our meals inside the motor home and make a fire ring from the stones lying around loose and picking up branches laying on the forest floor for a fire. This would be plenty for the kids to make s’mores in the evening before turning in. And life was good.

*~*~*

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Happy Father's Day, a sequel (M/L A.U. Mat.) ch 8 6/17/

Post by mary mary »

Carolyn: If you're going to go on an outing like that there's nothing like it. I think I was about 50 when I told my husband I wasn't going fishing anymore without the comfort of home and I didn't have to. It was great. :)
Eve: I've read and reread this chapter looking for "organisation" and I can't find it anywhere...if you mean "reservation' then that is where the Mesa Lika Indians live. Without going into American History too deeply an Indian Reservation is actually another one of our embarrassments, but it is working out pretty good for the Indians now. They are building Casino's on their privately held property and it can't be taxed, so far, by any governing body. That was one of the agreements that was made with the Indians so many many years ago. They are really getting to be quite wealthy, as they should!
XAF RU208: Hey, trust me, it is a great way to camp. You do get dirty but it's your own dirt. :) As for your daughter, enjoy the summer...she's going to be gone one of these days and even though there's phones it's very lonesome. My granddaughter will be going to Italy for her summer studies this year and my daughter is a nervous wreck...granddaughter is 22! :roll:

Well here's chapter 8 of 8 the epilogue will be posted on Father's Day but in case you guys aren't around on the 19th...have a good one. :)

*~*~*

Chapter: 8/8

After the s’mores were made and eaten, stories told around the campfire…none too scary for little ears and everyone had their hugs and kisses from their mommies and daddies we bid the gang goodnight and took our little group into our home away from home and got them all settled in for the night. Teeth brushed, hands, faces and feet washed…pj’s on, everything camping usually doesn’t entail they wanted to sleep on the pull out chairs again, which was no problem. We put a DVD into the TV for them and headed to our own little bedroom to get comfortable for the night. Max had pulled the bed out from the wall a little for me so I would be able to get to the bathroom easier if needed and just as we were about to settle in we heard…

“GET IT OUT…GET IT OUT…!$%!”

And then hysterical laughing. Max grabbed his pants laying next to the bed and I reached for my robe as Max reached down and gave me a hand. He knew it would be futile to tell me to stay put and we both headed to the door to get out…I checked on the kids and they were all sound asleep with the TV still playing….

By the time I waddled out of the motor home Kyle and Tess were standing outside of Maria and Michael’s tent where it was obvious that a flash light was lit, movement and hysterical laughter coming from inside. We had no idea what in the hell was going on and then we saw the zipper come down and then Michael’s hand came out and sat a toad down on the ground as he said…

“Hell Maria, he was just looking for a log to crawl under.” And she laughed even harder…

I looked at Tess, she looked at me and we started to roar as Kyle and Max started choking with laughter. Pretty soon Michael stuck his head out of their tent and said that the excitement was over and we should all go back to bed…we couldn’t…we were laughing too hard to go anywhere.

“I swear Michael, if I pee my pants I’m going to put ex-lax in your chocolate.” And I waddled back to the motor home holding my belly and if I didn’t know any better I would say that two baby girls were laughing right along with their mother.

Max was right behind me with a goofy look on his face as well and then he turned off the TV, checked all of the kids and headed back to the bedroom while I made a stop at the bathroom. He was sitting up in bed waiting for me when I got back in the bedroom and asked me if I wanted to look for some toads and I started to get that whoopee feeling and smiled…hell, why not! And life was good.

*~*~*

The rest of the week-end went on without a hitch, the kids didn’t catch any fish of course because we kept baiting their little fish-food hooks with the stuff that Eddie sr. had rigged up for them but Max, Kyle and Michael had managed to catch quite a few. We had fresh trout and eggs for breakfast three times and it was like I had died and gone to heaven. One night we had fresh cat fish and honest to God, I swear it was better than any lobster I had ever eaten. Of course we had to hide the damned things from Tess before they were cooked or she wouldn’t have been able to eat but she enjoyed the end product as much as the rest of us.

Then it was home and time to plan for Father’s day…I hope Max gets a kick out of his present. It’s really tough getting things for each other since we have everything we need or could possibly want. We really need to be creative and I think the little pink fishing poles are just the ticket. He can take his babies fishing next Father’s day…right?

*~*~*

Father’s Day morning I got up early and managed to roll out of bed without waking Max and I made my usual pit stop in the bathroom before heading on down stairs to fix his favorite breakfast…I swear people this is no lie and I feel pretty awful for doing it but I did squeeze fresh orange juice, made toast and set the table in the dining room with candles, put the milk in the silver pitcher and the silver sugar bowl was ready to go along with a very nice china bowl to hold his “cocoa puffs”…Honest to God, cocoa puffs people. It’s his Father’s day and he should have his favorite, so cocoa puffs it is. Oh, and fresh coffee in his favorite mug, not a china cup but a great big mug full of coffee just waiting for him. I intend to let him sleep just as long as he wants to and then we can head on over to the Valenti’s, senior that is, for the big Father’s day celebration with all of our families present. We managed to go to mass last evening so we could laze around a little this morning. This is going to be just wonderful, I know it. Amy made a big fuss over having the dinner at their place and to tell you the truth I’m happy about it.

Max slept until 9:00 a.m. this morning which is practically unheard of…the man is always up by at least 7:30, even without the alarm. God, I hope he feels okay. I made my way up the back stairway to our room and I could hear the shower running so he must be alright. I stick my nose in just as I hear the water turn off and I hand him a nice big fluffy towel as he sticks his hand out of the shower and he grabs me along with the towel and now we are both standing in the little stall…I have to giggle, it used to be big enough for the two of us but the four of us is kind of pushing it and we both laugh. I get a kiss on the forehead and Max gently guides me out of the stall before exiting himself and he picks up where we left off a second or two ago. It is Father’s day after all!!! Right? Oh, who am I kidding here, it’s my day too!

About 10:00 a.m. we arrive in the kitchen and Max can smell the orange peelings from the trash but can’t seem to locate the juice so I lead him to the dining room. He just looks at me and smiles as he holds my chair out for me, kisses the top of my head, pats my belly and takes a seat. He eyes the two little packages wrapped exactly the same way sitting at the other end of the table and smiles and after he consumes all the cocoa puffs his body can handle I take our plates away and give him his presents. He looks a little skeptical at me and opens the first one and his smile is as wide as the Grand Canyon, I can tell he likes it and then he opens the second identical package and gets up and pulls me to him and sits back down with me on his lap. He looks like he’s going to cry, I swear, and if does I will too.

“Liz, I love them and I know they will get well used. What in the hell made you think of pink fishing poles?”

“We were buying tackle for the kids and I saw these and knew…this was it. I couldn’t find a thing that seemed right and fit the occasion any better so here you are sweetheart…your girls are ready to go fishing with you. Now all we have to do is meet them.”

And Max laughed as he kissed my belly and thanked his baby girls. Max insisted that I head on upstairs and get ready to go and that he would do the dishes which I really didn’t want him to do and he just told me to humor him, so I did. We don’t put the good stuff in the dishwasher and now I’m almost sorry I used it but he doesn’t seem to mind. I came back downstairs about forty five minutes later after having made the bed and cleaned the bathroom a little and it was almost noon and time to head on over to Amy and Jim’s. This is going to be so much fun…I can’t wait to share our Michael and Maria fiasco, it’s just too good not to share with everyone. Maria will probably want to kill me but she’ll get over it. She pulls this shit on me all of the time, it’s her turn, so off we went.

I felt a little strange as we pulled out of the driveway and couldn’t put my finger on just what was wrong…but something just didn’t seem right. I didn’t say anything to Max though because this was his first unofficial official father’s day and I wanted him to relax and enjoy himself so I kept my weird feeling to my self.

When we arrived at the Valenti’s it seemed like the entire town was there. Cars were parked everywhere and Max chuckled as he pointed to a sign stuck to the garage door…it said in big black letters “LIZ” … he was going to let me out before finding a parking place but instead we parked in the designated parking place for Liz and he helped me out and we headed on out to the back yard. We knew that’s where we would find everyone and sure enough that’s where they all were, smiling and laughing and enjoying a great day. Tess came over and gave me a hug and asked…

“Liz, are you okay honey? You look a little peaked.”

“I feel a little weird Tess but don’t say anything, I don’t want to ruin everyone’s day. I feel fine, I’m not sick or anything I just feel strange.”

“Hmmm, do you hurt anywhere?”

“No. Why?”

“Are the babies moving around?”

“Huh uh, they’re being very quiet today…I think they know it’s daddy’s big day and they’re letting him have a celebration.”

“Uh huh…well, while they’re being quiet keep them in mind, will you?”

“Yeah, sure. Do you think something is wrong?”

“No sweetie, I don’t think a thing is wrong…just keep them in mind while they’re being quiet…”

“Okay.” I can’t imagine why Tess wants me to concentrate on my belly, I don’t usually get to relax with these two rolling around inside of me.

Tess….

Christ, she’s dropped and nobody’s noticed…hell, I hope she doesn’t have them here, although Max is a doctor I don’t think he wants to be delivering his daughter’s in the back yard on Father’s day. I’m not going to say anything to anyone, let them figure it out for themselves. Jane said it could be anywhere from seven to eight months and it’s seven. She’s a good size and the babies are both good sizes as well according to her last visit. I went with her because Max had an emergency at the hospital, thank God I’ve been through this a couple of times and recognize what’s happening. She’ll blame herself for ruining everyone’s father’s day, I just know it, but what better day to make your husband a father than on father’s day. We’ll see. Oh damn, here comes Terry, I’d better grab her before she knocks Liz on her ass with her hugs. I swear that girl likes Liz better than me.

“Terry, easy honey…remember Aunt Liz’s belly, be careful.”

Liz:

I went over to say hello to my parents who were playing with Amelia and Dad took one look at me and grinned from ear to ear…

“I hear Max got a couple of pink fishing poles for Father’s day…where’s mine?”

I laughed and said…

“You can use Max’s dad…hi mom. Hey Amelia, how are you sweetie?”

“I’m good Aunt Liz but why did you pee your pants?”

That got everyone’s attention really fast and Max Evans, my doctor husband, looked like he was about to pass out. Michael grabbed a chair for me while Kyle grabbed one for Max and then the hustle and bustle started. Michael wouldn’t let Max drive me to the hospital alone so Tess brought the SUV up to the front of the house, Amy gave me a blanket to sit on in the back seat and Max sat next to me…driving me nuts.

“Are you in any pain Liz?”

“No Max, no pain anywhere. The girls are sleeping I think because they aren’t doing anything.”

And then Tess laughed and said…

“Just give them time Liz, they’re gearing up for a great big show here and they will win. Trust me.” And then she laughed even harder...

“Look out the rear window.”

So Max and I turned around and we couldn’t believe it…the entire party was following in various sized vehicles. Honest to God…Maria, Michael, Isabelle, Alex and Kyle were directly behind us and behind them was Philip and dad with Mom and Diane in the back seat of their town car and behind them, bringing up the rear was Amy and Jim with all of the little ones. Little Terry was hanging over the front seat and I could see Amy reach back and pull her into the front seat with her and Jim. It was a circus out there and then I looked at Max. People…my husband, my doctor husband, was as white as a sheet. Honest, I thought he was going to pass out.

“Max, look at me sweetie…you have to breathe. If you don’t breathe Max you’re going to pass out.”

And he grabbed my hand and held on for dear life, I couldn’t believe my eyes and then the girls started…and the hand that Max was holding, well I’ll just bet he was wishing he wasn’t because I squeezed it and his honey colored eyes looked as though they were going to bulge right out of the sockets. I’m not going to pretend I’m the only brave one here, because that’s the farthest thing from the truth but I will say that my concern for Max at the moment is helping to take my mind off of my own fear. I know that Jane said it could happen anytime now but I didn’t think it would be this soon.

“Liz, are you okay? You need to breathe Liz, don’t worry about me…I’m just concerned about you.”

“No Max, what I’m doing is normal what you’re doing is scary. You look like you’re going to pass out on me here and I need you.”

“I’m not going to pass out Liz, honest. It’s the shock and I’m over it…now let me know when you have another contraction because I did look at my watch.”

“Okay Max, I will.”

“Liz, do I need to drive faster?” Tess wanted to know…

“No Tess, that one was a surprise…I’m ready for the next one so just take your time and get us there safely. You do know that they are all following right?”

“Yep, every last one of them. I’m surprised Mrs. Wilson and Deputy Hanson aren’t back there.”

And we all started to laugh as another one hit me…Max looked at his watch and nodded.

“How far Max?”

“Five minutes…God Liz, don’t you do anything normal?”

“What’s so great about normal? Let’s get this show on the road.” And Max took out his cell phone and called Abby.

“Hey doc, Max here…hope I’m not breaking up any big party plans or anything but Liz is here in the back of Tess’s SUV, we’re on our way to Roswell General…five minutes between the first and second contraction and her water broke about 15 minutes ago.”…

“No, she seems perfectly relaxed, the babies seem relaxed but determined and the entire family…all of them, are behind us.” …

“Yeah, we’ll be there…see you when you get there. Tell John I’m sorry as hell.” And my husband laughed, in a pig’s eye he’s sorry…

*~*~*

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Happy Father's Day, a sequel (M/L A.U. Mat.) Epi. 6/17/

Post by mary mary »

Eve: Here they are!!!
Carolyn: I thought that was a cute touch too...oh, and my youngest granddaughter is 22 today...Father's day.
XAF RU208: Nothing's all that great about normal!!! :lol:

Well here you go...Happy Father's Day to all of you guys out there, young and old alike. Watch for the final episode coming shortly...Happy Fourth of July. (No picking on Maria in that one!!! :) )

*~*~*

Epilogue:

Liz:

Tess got us to the hospital in one piece and I must confess to you here people, I was one happy mama that she was doing the driving because, regardless of what my husband was saying, he really didn’t look all that good. He was perspiring, his lips were drawn tight and turning white and he looked like he was about to pass out. I kid you not…now I know why they say doctors should not treat their own family, I am now a firm believer.

We no sooner got into the admitting office and the admitting clerk proceeded to ask questions, all of the pertinent questions, when another pain hit hard and fast and Max checked his watch immediately…apparently I didn’t have to tell him what was going on and he timed the contraction this time. It seemed to go on forever. He looked at the admitting clerk and at his watch once again and said …

“Bring the paper work and follow us, I don’t think we’re going to have time for all of this.” And the poor girls eyes got very big and she started to say something when Max stopped her….

“No, you don’t understand, it’s time. Just hit the button that says she’s here and we’ll take care of this later.”

And with that my husband turned the wheel chair around and headed straight for the elevator. By this time I was crossing my legs and hanging on for dear life. These babies decided this was it. I don’t know what’s gotten into them, there’s plenty of time…apparently patience is not going to be one of their virtues.

We passed everyone on the way to the elevator and Max motioned for Tess…

“Tell them I’ll be back shortly, this isn’t going to take long the way things are going.” Tess nodded as we entered the elevator and then Max looked down at me and smiled…

“Hang on sweetheart, I think it’s going to be a short visit.”

And when the bell on the elevator dinged and the door opened Abby was there to greet us and said…

“I swear Liz, you have got to be one of the most unpredictable people on this planet.”

“Don’t blame me Abby…I was all ready to have a really great Father’s day with the entire family, who are all downstairs…by the way…” and I grabbed Max’s hand again and he looked at me and tried to smile…I swear, the poor man wasn’t going to be able to use those fingers tomorrow if I didn’t stop. I finally took a breath and Max looked at his watch…

“Two minutes Abby and you saw the duration…we’ve got to get her in some stirrups quickly.”

“I agree Max…in here!” And we were led into delivery where there were two nurses already suited up and waiting.

No sooner did I get out of my jeans and underwear and was situated when baby number one started to crown…

“Oh God Liz…there’s no time for an epi now, just push honey.”

And push I did and soon I heard a little squeal and the next thing I know I’m pushing again, without even being told to and baby number two was born.

“Liz, I’m going to give you a small anesthetic and take some stitches here okay. You really aren’t torn up too badly but if there was ever a natural child birth this was it.”

“Go right ahead Abby…are they okay?” And I looked over and saw my husband holding one of our daughters in his arms while a nurse was cleaning one off.

“They’re perfect Liz. You can have them in just a few minutes honey. They have black hair. Lots of black hair.”

“Oh God Max…we haven’t even decided on names yet.”

“Well, I’ve been thinking about that. How do you like Bethany and Christy?”

“Oh Max, that’s beautiful…yes. Middle names?”

“Well, Bethany Joy and Christy Ann…”

“Yes.”

And the next thing I knew I had Bethany in my arms, so tiny but so perfect and her daddy was weighing her little sister and filling out charts.”

“Are they big enough Max?”

“Yes Angel, they are perfect in every way. Bethany weighs four pounds two ounces and Christy weighs four pounds three ounces. It looks like she hogged up some of her sisters chocolates.”

And I started to laugh. Max brought her over to me and I swear, she’s the mirror of her sister. They definitely are identical and their daddy is standing there with a smile on his face and tears in his eyes. I look up at him and smile as I say…

“Happy Father’s Day Max.”

And the tears roll down his cheeks in streams as two nurses and one doctor look on.

The Beginning!

*~*~*
One more fluff coming up…Happy fourth of July next