Merry Christmas To All (M/L, A.U. Mature) Ch.7/7 12/21/10

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Merry Christmas To All (M/L, A.U. Mature) Ch.7/7 12/21/10

Post by mary mary »

Title: Merry Christmas To All
Author: Ginger
Genre: A/U, M/L Mature , sequel to Thanksgiving
Disclaimer: I own nothing Roswell…I like the characters so I’ve borrowed them for a little while.

Summary: Max and Liz are getting ready to celebrate the Christmas Holidays after having survived the “turkey hunt”… lots of fluff

Chapter: 1

Shit, shit, shit damn….I’m here in the house hopping around on one foot trying to grab a chair because I just dropped a box of frozen peas on my bare toe, tears are running down my cheeks and…it hurts like the devil. Damn. I don’t think I’ll ever fix peas again as long as I live. Damn. Now the phone is ringing…let it ring off the hook… damn! I can’t believe a box of frozen peas can hurt this bad…maybe I should start wearing shoes. Max keeps giving me grief over my shoes sitting by the back door instead of on my feet anyway. They aren’t good shoes, just something to slip on while I take out the trash or run to the market. Nothing really fancy…just some old tennis shoes.

Well, there’s the answering machine…it’s Maria.

“Come on Liz! Pick up! I know you’re there, I just drove past not five minutes ago…where are you?”

I hobble over to the phone, sometimes I could kill the woman! D’ya know what I mean?

“Hello!#%!” I practically yell into the phone…

“Well, what’s got your panties in a wad?”

“Dammit Maria! I just dropped a package of frozen peas on my toe and I think I broke the damned thing.”

“What, the box of peas?”

“Yeah Maria, I’m crying over a freaken box of peas! NO!@$! My damned toe Maria!!!”

“With frozen peas?”

“Yes Maria! frozen peas!…Now if you truly want to call yourself my friend get your ass over here and take me to the hospital.”

“Well, okay…if you’re serious I’ll be right there.”

“I’m serious as hell and I’ll be waiting.”

We hang up and I try to think…what the hell should I cover my foot with? It’s throbbing like crazy and Max won’t have any dinner ready when he gets home if I go to the hospital. There’s nothing they can do for a toe anyway. Maybe put it back into place or something…it doesn’t look bent or anything, but it is turning a little purple…damn, it shouldn’t turn colors that fast…should it? Hell, there’s Maria…no sense in asking her opinion, she’s as useless as they come in a crisis, but this really isn’t a crisis. I don’t want to call Max, he’ll just get upset and want to come home…damn. I guess I will go over to the E.R. and have them take a look.

“Liz? Liz? Where are you girlfriend?”

“In the kitchen Maria. I need you to go upstairs and get me my slippers. I know I can’t put a shoe on this foot…it’s already swelling up and turning colors.”

“Lemme see.”

She takes a look and then I get the hysterical stare she’s famous for…I don’t need this, not now.

“Shit Liz…frozen peas did that?”

“Yes Maria!…Would I lie to you?” I’m hurting like hell here people!

“Well, no, but it’s kinda hard to fathom a box of frozen peas doing that much damage.”

“Well I guess it hit just right. Are we going to sit here and talk about this all day or are you going to go get my slippers?

“Which ones do you want?” Like I give a shit!

“Some comfortable, big ones Maria. I don’t give a shit which ones just get some.”

“Oh alright, ya’ old grouch.”

About that time the phone rings again and Maria answers it this time…it’s Tess…our other partner in crime so to speak.

“Tess girl, can you pick up my kids with yours and take them home with you I’m taking Liz to the hospital… We think she broke her toe. … Yeah, I know…barefoot again. … Yeah, it looks awful. … No, we can handle it, you don’t need to come with us. …. Welllll, if you want to, just meet us over at the E.R. that way one of us can head on over to the school when it’s time. … . Yeah, okay. See ya’ in a few.”

“Well, Maria…do you need a bull horn or is the phone loud enough for you?”

“Look grouch…I’m going to go get your slippers and you sit there and think about cleaning up your act…okay?” Now she’s pissed! What’s she pissed about, her toe’s not broken!!!

Friends, what would I do without ‘em…I really do love her you know…I wouldn’t talk to just anybody like that.

About that time she shows up in the kitchen with a pair of tennis shoes and three pairs of slippers…

“Here, take your pick.”

So, like a good girl I choose a tennis shoe for the left foot and then I try to put a slipper on the right…no way. That damned toe hurts like a sonofabitch…I kid you not.

“It’s no use Maria, I can’t put anything on that foot…let’s just keep the thing bare and get going.”

“Okay, but put your other shoe in your purse.”

“What the hell for??? I can’t wear it!”

“Well, we don’t want people to think you only have one shoe!”

I look my friend in the eye and let me tell you…I think she’s serious. Honest to God the woman is serious as hell, not one smirk, not one grin or a single smile…she’s freaking serious!

“Just give me the damned shoe Maria, my jacket is in the hall closet. Now my next question is…how in the hell am I going to get to your car?”

“Hop?”

Again, she’s serious, so I hop. Like a god damned toad I’m hopping…could this day get any more ridiculous?

We finally arrive at the hospital and, NO…I don’t believe it. Tess has Isabelle, my mother and Diane all waiting with her at the door to the E.R. Ah Shit!

“Well hello everyone.” I shout as Maria let’s me out of the car at the entrance to the E.R. My mother has a wheel chair waiting, for which I am truly grateful because the hopping just wasn’t doing it for me, and the other three are all crowding each other out of the way trying to be helpful. This is truly a nightmare.

“Sweetie, are you in a lot of pain?” My mom, seriously, I’m going to kill Tess, I swear. I glare at her before answering my mom.

“It hurts mom but it’s just my toe. They’ll fix it up in no time.”

“Liz, you really should try to wear shoes.”

“Yes mom, I know I should wear shoes, but I don’t and that’s why things like this happen. So let’s just not look at the what ifs and get me inside before I get frost bite on the damned thing as well as a new color.”

And then they all look at my purple toe…and it is purple already. Ugly purple.

“Good Lord Liz…that thing looks awful!” Isabelle, she will probably want to design a dress to match it so I will be color coordinated.

“Yeah Iz, I know…maybe they’ll have something to cover it with without it hurting.”

“Well, you could try one of Max’s socks…I’ll bet they’re big enough.”

“I’ll give it a try when I get home Izzie, thanks.”

I just want all of them to get the hell away from me…why do I have to be civil when I’m hurting…I think I’ll kill Tess. Tomorrow, when she stops by to see if I need anything, and she will, I’ll do it then. A kitchen knife. I can trip her and she’ll fall on it and then when Maria comes in I’ll trip her too. Get rid of both of them. Don’t they realize what they’re doing to me? Wait til they do something like this…I’ll get even with them just wait. But they never do anything like this…they wear shoes!

Well, I’m finally in an examining room and guess who pokes his gorgeous head around the curtain…you got it…my husband, Doctor Max Evans, pediatrician. Who in the hell called him? I didn’t want him disturbed...dammit!

“Hi Angel…I hear you had a run in with a box of peas.” He says as he looks at my toe and frowns, big frown.

“Yep…peas.”

“My God Liz…a box of peas did that?”

“Yep. And not one word about shoes Max Evans, not one single word.”

“Yeah, I saw the gallery out there. Who’s the guilty party this time?”

“I think both of them. Maria called then came over, Tess called and she and Maria had a discussion about coming to the hospital and when I got here the entire state of New Mexico was waiting for me. Well, half of Roswell anyway.”

Then my sweetie bends over and kisses my forehead and smiles.

“Which one are you going to kill first?”

“Oh, I’ve got it all planned out. Whichever one comes over first gets tripped into a kitchen knife, the second will follow out of sympathy.”

“Hmmm, I see. Have it all figured out do you?”

“Yep.”

“Liz, sometimes you scare me.” He says with a chuckle….

“Oh, I’d never do you in Max…you’re too good in bed…and everywhere else for that matter!” I smile, big smile…and just as I finish that statement Dr. James sticks his head around the curtain and I think my husband might just be planning MY demise right now. Dr. James is trying very hard to be professional and my husband’s ears are turning the color of my sore toe. Me, I’m enjoying this tremendously…I rarely get the opportunity to embarrass Max…it’s positively glorious so I just sit there and smile some more…great big smiles. Yep…you should see it, then that damned doctor touches my toe. The fun is over folks…he’s next with the kitchen knife and then Max is right there by my side grabbing my hand and holding it.

“Do you think we should ex-ray it Max?” That’s Dr. James…

“Well, probably…I’ll take her down. I’ve already called the office and told them I wouldn’t be back today. I was only going to go in and do some paper work when I saw the waiting room minus my wife and I knew she had to be here somewhere. I saw my last patient earlier and if there are any emergencies they can reach me here.”

“Fair enough. Let me get the orders ready and we’ll let you deal with it from here.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“Max, why are they going to ex-ray it. You know they can’t do anything for it even if it is broke, just get me a prescription for some pain killers and we’re good to go.”

“I know that Liz, but we need to know what we’re treating here. It doesn’t look like it needs set but an ex-ray will tell us for sure. It really looks nasty though. Frozen peas…who would have thought.”

“Well not me that’s for sure. We may never eat peas again.”

And Max chuckled….it’s a beautiful sound folks and then I look at him, ohhhh he’s gorgeous and apparently I have that look that everyone says I get and he just shakes his head…

“Not now Liz…behave yourself.” He whispers loudly, looking very serious. Or at least he’s trying to, he’s also trying to suppress a grin, I can tell.

“Then quit looking so damned handsome, handsome.”

And he shakes his head again as he pushes me toward the elevators and as the door opens I give Max a look…he looks down at me and shakes his head again and laughs. That’s all I get, a laugh, dammit!

Last edited by mary mary on Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:44 am, edited 7 times in total.

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Merry Christmas To All (M/L, A.U. Mature) Ch. 2 12/02/10

Post by mary mary »

Valentinebaby: You've got that right! :lol:
Eve: I swear to you Eve, I went out to the freezer and checked the weight, 283 grams or 10 oz. Right at the joint and BAM, one broken toe.
Natalie36: Thank you, that's what I'm aiming at.
XAF RU208: Read reply to Eve, yes I know all about it, it-hurts like a SOB! As for cutting and driving to the hospital alone, well...it was the joint right where the bottom of thumb rests at the palm of the hand. Slicing a tomato the wrong way, holding it in my hand and cutting toward the thumb. I still do it! :roll: :roll: :roll: Never did learn from my mistakes.
CCarolyn: I'm so glad you're enjoying this...she is fun isn't she?

*~*~*

: Chapter: 2

Well, we’re back from ex-ray…I’ve peed in a cup, given them my blood and now I’m laying here looking at the ceiling waiting for Max and Dr. James to get back into the little cubby they’ve got me stuck while I ponder my next murder victim. So far Maria and Tess are heading up the list today. The other three, my mom, Isabelle and Diane are here by default… De-fault of one Tess Valenti.

So here come the Bobbsy Twins…Frick and Frack, Heckyl and Jeckyl…take your pick. They’re both wearing white lab coats anyway, one is very handsome and the other could be Santa Claus.

Dr. James speaks up first…

“Well Mrs. Evans you’ve definitely broken your toe and it appears to be in a stable position so we won’t have to manipulate it but you do know you have to stay off of it from four to six weeks right?”

“Yes, I know that and you can call me Liz…I’m sure Max won’t mind. Dr. MacIntyre might get a little bummed out about me being off for a couple of days this week but I’ll switch with someone else next week and that should make him happy. I think I might need something for sleeping, maybe one of those big ugly shoes that keeps the weight of the blankets off your feet. That will most likely do the trick.”

“Are you sure you want to work Liz? You should probably stay off that foot as much as possible for at least two weeks.”

“Oh it’ll be fine Max. Honest. I sit and look through a microscope all day anyway. I’ll just get a pair of crutches from supply and I’ll be fine. Maria and Tess can finish the Christmas decorations…they’ll love that.”

“Liz, I can do the decorations and you can supervise.” My beautiful husband people…and he is beautiful, inside and out.

“Well, if you want to it’s okay with me…you’ve never offered to help before.”

“It’s always been done by the time I got home from work before…what was left to offer?”

“Wow Max, I am so sorry. I just figured you wouldn’t want to be bothered.”

“It’s okay sweetheart…I’ll help this year. How’s that?”

“That’s great Max.” And Doctor James left us alone for a minute. Soon he came back with a big ugly black shoe and some results that we weren’t quite prepared for.

“Uh, Liz…Max.” And he cleared his throat.

“Liz, are you in a lot of pain?”

“I was when it first happened but it’s tolerable now. Why? You look concerned, is something wrong?”

“Well, I hope you won’t think so and since you’re both here together then I’ll tell you that you’re pregnant Liz and we really shouldn’t be giving you any strong drugs.”

I looked at Max and immediately started crying and he grabbed my hands in his and kissed them and then he grabbed me. Strong drugs be damned…there will be no drugs in this body for a long time. Then we both looked at Dr. James…

“Doctor we have been trying to get pregnant for over two years now and had almost given up hope. This is the best Christmas present anyone has ever given us. Thank you, thank you, thank you.” And then I grabbed my husband and kissed him good right in front of that doctor. I am so happy that I may even spare Tess and Maria’s lives.

Doctor James smiled at us and asked me if I could stand the pain and I told him that I positively WOULD stand any pain for the next nine months, he could count on it and he nodded and left us to enjoy our news before heading out to the waiting room to see all of the people waiting for us.

It was all that action before the turkey hunt! I just know it but I’ll keep that to myself. I was told never to mention that again so it’s just between us, okay?

“Do you want to tell them about this Liz?”

I thought a minute and then looked at my beautiful husband and smiled…

“No. This is our Christmas present, we’ll tell them later, a lot later, okay?”

“Yes… it’s okay. I love you Angel. I love you so much I want to fly.”

“Well, take me along for the ride lover because I feel the same way.”

And instead of pushing me out of the little cubby my husband picked me up and carried me and my ugly black shoe to the waiting room and told everyone that I had a broken toe and he was taking me home to rest. They could come by to see me tomorrow…I was definitely going to live, with a little discomfort but I was going to live.

It really was sweet of all of them to come to the hospital though…I hadn’t seen Diane and Izzy since thanksgiving and then my smart ass sister-in-law had to ask if I was going turkey hunting for Christmas…I told her to shut up and Max strolled out of the hospital without another word and left the rest of them laughing in the waiting room. I don’t think I’ll ever live the turkey hunt down. I’ll have to think of something else to do for Christmas…I know, we can cut down our own Christmas tree. That sounds like fun. I won’t bring it up to Max just yet though, I really like this being carried, it feels great. He’s so strong! I’ll wait until after I’ve had my WHOOPEE!!! before dropping that bomb on him.

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Merry Christmas To All (M/L, A.U. Mature) Ch.3 12/07/10

Post by mary mary »

Eve: Thank you...here's three!
Carolyn: I think the baby news would be enough to make me listen too. :D

*~*~*

Chapter: 3

When we got out to the car and Max had me all buckled in and had himself situated he asked me what I felt like having for dinner.

“Max…I’m just so excited that it doesn’t make any difference what it is, I don’t think I’ll taste it anyway. Oh honey, I am so happy I just don’t know where to put myself.”

Max looked over at me and smiled, I could tell he was feeling the same way and then he reached across the seat and took my hand and held it the whole way to the restaurant to pick up our take out. I wanted to shout it from the roof tops and then I wanted my husband. Not in a sexual way, I just wanted to hold him…I needed to hold him and I couldn’t wait until we got home. I couldn’t explain it to him but the need was just overwhelming.

When we finally got home and Max had me situated on the couch I tried very hard to explain to him what I needed and he just sat down next to me, picked me up and put me in his lap and held me as you would a child.

The whole time we sat like that, with my head nestled into his neck, he whispered in my ear of all the things we were going to do with our children. How we would take them to the park, to church, on vacations…how we would teach them to swim, how to throw water balloons at Uncle Michael, ride a bike. And he went on and on for over an hour about all the wonderful things we were going to do with our children and some not so wonderful things as well. I found out my husband has a little bit of a mean streak in him. He says it’s a get even streak and we both laughed and then he did the most wonderful thing. He lifted my shirt and kissed my belly and told the baby to be good because daddy had to feed mommy. He put me back down on the couch, kissed the top of my head and handed me the remote to the TV. I am so happy that he brought Chinese food home with us, it will heat up the best in the microwave and all of a sudden I was hungry. Oh thank you peas…thank you, thank you, thank you. I love peas…we may eat peas everyday forever. Peas are good!

The next morning, just as I said they would, Maria and Tess showed up with breakfast and big smiles. The urge to kill them subsided as quickly as it had shown up and before I knew it we were busy planning Christmas events and fun things to do with the kids. My foot, although it was many shades of ugly, wasn’t throbbing anywhere like it had been yesterday and the big ugly shoe they gave me to sleep in worked wonders in keeping the weight of the blankets off of my toe. I found that I could get around the kitchen a whole lot easier if I put my knee on a chair and pushed the chair around. So I retrieved the office chair with wheels from the room down the hall. It was so much easier than those cumbersome crutches and I had Tess and Maria in stitches watching me maneuver myself around. Max heard the giggles and poked his head into the kitchen to see what they were up to and then noticed my new invention, he just shook his head and grinned.

“I’m going to head on out and you three stay out of trouble.” Then he came over and kissed the top of my head and nodded at the other two before leaving.

“I’ll be home around 2:00 today Liz so don’t try and do anything for dinner. I’ll fix something up for us and you stay off that foot and elevate it as much as possible.”

“Okay sweetie. But you really don’t have to come home if you have other things to do.”

“Yes Liz, I do have to come home. You won’t rest like you’re supposed to if someone isn’t here to make you, now I’ll see you then. All of you behave yourselves.”

And he was gone. I don’t know why I felt a sudden chill…loneliness hit me all of a sudden and I never get that way. It must be the baby…has to be.

“Okay, where were we? Cookies! We need to have a cookie baking day and let the kids decorate. What else…they need to go see Santa and do their Christmas shopping. OHHHHHH…and you know what else?”

“Oh no, she has another brain storm, I can tell!” Maria groaned…

“Yeah…when I was laying in that hospital yesterday I thought…how about we go cut down a Christmas tree this year. A live tree. The kids will love it and it would be so much fun.”

“God Liz, don’t you remember the “live turkey” fiasco? Where are we going to go to get a live Christmas tree without it taking all day?”

“Well, we could pack a huge lunch, plan a picnic, make hot chocolate and cut down a tree. I saw an ad somewhere in the paper…I think I saved it. What do you say?”

“I say we go to a Christmas tree lot and bag one up and take it home is what I say.” Tess my friends…great enthusiasm she’s got going for her…

“Come on Tess, this will be fun. The kids will have a ball.”

“Maybe the kids will but I can guarantee you that Michael and Kyle will not think this is fun. It’s tough enough to get them to hang lights around the eaves but get them on an all day Christmas tree hunt is not going to be an easy task.”

“Sure it will, just tell them that the others are up to it and they’ll agree.”

“Yeah, we get them to agree, how about Max? Is he going to agree?”

“He agreed to get a live turkey didn’t he? And besides, there are no live animals involved in cutting down a Christmas tree.”

And so we three sat and had breakfast and coffee while deciding what to do to make the kids Christmas vacation more fun and relieve some of the tension while waiting for Santa …a fact that their fathers had very little to do with since they were away most of the day and didn’t have to deal with anxious little faces, I couldn’t wait to have those exciting moments with my own child…it was going to be an adventure that Max and I were looking forward to more than anything else on earth.

So, when Max arrived home right at 2:00 like he said I was waiting for him with a huge smile on my face and a great big kiss.

“Liz? Why do I get the feeling that I’m going to regret something?”

“Max! Why would you say something like that?”

“Because you have that look that says “beware” written all over you.”

“Oh Max, you’re being silly.”

“No Liz…I’m not being silly. What did the three of you come up with today? And how are they going to convince Michael and Kyle? And don’t look all innocent at me, you’ve planned something so come clean.”

“We want to go up to the mountains and cut our own Christmas trees. Take a picnic and let the kids pick their own Christmas trees and chop them down. I called the forestry service and it’s $10.00 for a permit. I, we, think it would be fun.”

“By “WE” I take it that this was your idea?”

“Well, I might have suggested it but we all think it would be fun.”

“And how do you plan on getting through the woods with a broken toe…a toe that you were told to stay off of for quite awhile as I recall.”

“Well, there’s crutches and… you?”

Now he’s grinning…

“When have you ladies planned this little excursion to take place?”

“Well, how about this Saturday or Sunday?”

“Okay…I’m sure they’ll be back tomorrow morning with more pastries and bull so make up your minds. I’ll take the truck to work with me on Friday and get both tanks gassed up. You make sure you have a comforter and pillow for the back seat…you know you’re body is trying to heal itself without a lot of help from meds so be sure you have some way of getting comfortable. Even if we have to spend the night, you can’t be getting overly tired and as long as your partners in crime are agreeable to that I’ll drive the truck to haul the trees.”

“Oh thank you Max…you’re wonderful, you know that. Right?”

“Yeah Liz, I know that. Now come on…it’s nap time for you.”

“Are you coming with me?”

And I got that sexy grin I love….

“Come on baby…you know I’ll come with you.”

And I was picked up and carried to our bedroom. Oh life was soooo gooood!

Last edited by mary mary on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Merry Christmas To All (M/L, A.U. Mature) Ch.4 12/07/10

Post by mary mary »

Valentinebaby: I agree, these girls are crazy but in a good way. :)
Eve: I don't think Liz will have a problem walking with a big belly yet but that toe might be a problem! :)
Carolyn: Thank you, Liz is a character that's for sure and Max deserves a halo sometime but he loves it/her! :D :D :D
XAF RU208: Whoopee is right...she knows where her bread is buttered!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks to all of you. :D

*~*~*

Chapter: 4

Chapter: 4

The next morning, just as Max had predicted, the girls were at the house bright and early and this time they brought Danish. All kinds of Danish from the bakery down town. Oh God, if this keeps up I’ll weigh an extra fifty pounds before I ever start to show I thought to myself.

Max popped his head in through the kitchen door on his way to the front of the house to pick up his coat out of the closet and said with a grin as he looked at the pink box spread wide open on the kitchen table…

“Good morning ladies. I expect all of you to stay out of trouble today and make sure Liz stays off that foot. Oh, and I want you two,” indicating Tess and Maria.. “to make up your minds which day you want to drive up and get a Christmas tree. I’ll need to make arrangements to have another doctor cover for me at the hospital in case of any emergencies. And tell Kyle and Michael I am not doing this alone.”

“Yes sir.” Tess spouted out and then looked at Maria...

“Have you asked Michael yet?”

“No, how about Kyle? Did you ask?”

“Nope.”

“Hey you two, I thought this was going to be something the kids would enjoy and you aren’t even trying.”

“Liz, there is something you need to understand here…you don’t just up and make these kinds of plans when kids are involved.” That was Tess’s logic.

“Why not? They’re part of the family they should get to do things that are fun and family oriented.”

“Well, when you’ve got a couple of little ones running around you’ll know what we’re talking about. It’s just easier to stay at home where they have everything they need.”

“Oh, I’m sure it is. Let’s not put ourselves out any to make a fun day trip with them. You might forget to pack a slurpie or something.”

“Boy, what’s got you so testy?” Maria wanted to know.

Then Max popped back in to say good bye and I know he overheard the conversation because he winked at me and said…

“Okay you two…here’s the deal. We have enough seat belts in the crew cab to take the kids with us. All you have to do is follow in your vehicles and enjoy the ride. We’ll take the kids in the truck and I’ll haul the trees back down the mountain. Is that incentive enough for you to get off your asses this week-end and go tree cutting?”

I couldn’t believe Max, he told me to pack a pillow and blanket and now he’s offering to drive the kids up in the truck. Not that I mind, I think it’s wonderful and if I’m reading the looks on my friends faces they think so too.

“Okay Max, but just you remember…this was your idea. We never even thought of that one.” Maria chimed and Max grinned at her.

“Yeah, I’m sure Kyle will go along with this idea. I don’t believe you…you spend all day with other people’s kids and now you want to take four of them for a day trip to the mountains. You have got to be nuts Max, totally nuts!”

“Now see Tess, there’s something you don’t understand about the kids…they are perfect angels with Liz and me.”

And Tess gives him one of those looks, the one that says ‘you’re full of shit’ and Max laughs as he kisses the top of my head and leaves for work. He’s right though…we’ve had the kids for entire week-ends and have never had a problem with them. Of course we devote our whole week-end to their every want and need so what’s to have a problem about. He’s going to be a great dad, I just know it.

After the girls took off I used my chair to navigate myself around the kitchen and cleaned up the mess we made at the table and then headed to the office we have set up at the other end of the house in order to check with the forestry service. I found out I could get the permits on line and then I did something I really shouldn’t have done. I called Kyle and Michael.

Kyle laughed when I told him what I wanted and said fine…he could get away either Saturday or Sunday, whatever the rest of the gang wanted to do and to go ahead and get the permit…but don’t tell Tess, he wanted to give her a bad time first so I went along with his plan. Hell, I didn’t care as long as they went. And then it was Michael’s turn…Michael is one of my best friends and I think Maria knows it. We just seem to understand each other and I know that he’ll want to go along, but like Kyle, he’d rather put Maria through a little torture first. Other people may think he’s a grouch but he has never been that way with me.

“Hey Michael…how are you?”

“Liz?”

“Yeah, it’s me. Do you have a minute?”

Michael runs the art gallery down town and has quite a few of his own paintings hanging on display as well. I don’t think he sells them, he just displays them. He once told me it was like selling one of his children…I laughed at him but I think he was dead serious.

“For you Liz I’ll make a minute. How’s the toe?”

“Oh, it’s purple, almost black it’s so purple but it doesn’t hurt like it did. Hey Michael, the reason I’m calling is Max and I are going up to the mountains to cut a Christmas tree and we wanted everyone to go along. Max said he’d drive the kids if you guys didn’t want to be confined in the car that long with them.”

Michael started to laugh….

“I see Maria is trying to talk you out of it by telling you I won’t want to go…am I right?”

“Well, sort of. She and Tess both said that it’s no picnic being cooped up with the kids in the car all day so Max said we’d take them. I think they would enjoy the outing what do you say?”

“I say it sounds like a great idea Liz and the only reason Maria and Tess don’t want the kids in the car is because they have the kids all of the time. I can’t speak for Kyle but I think I’d like to ride up with the kids. It would be fun. Maybe we can leave Maria and Tess home and the rest of us can go…how about that?”

“Michael, you know they’d never go along with that idea. They would be afraid they were missing out on something.”

“Well, they would be. A great time with the kids in a different environment doing something fun and starting the holiday season off right. Count me in.”

“Great…is there a better day for you…Saturday or Sunday?”

“Either one Liz, but Sunday would be best for me…on second thought, make it Saturday, that way the kids will have Sunday to recuperate.”

“Great Michael, I’ll order the permits now and call Maria and Tess and tell them we’re set for Saturday.”

“We need permits?”

“Yeah, they’re ten dollars apiece and you can have three permits per family. I figure we only need one each…right?”

“No Liz, get me two. I’ll get one for the gallery while I’m at it. Maybe the thing won’t be dead by Christmas.”

“Fair enough Michael…maybe I should call Max and see if he wants one for the office.”

“Why not…you never know.”

“Thanks Michael, and I’ll see you on Saturday then. Say about 8:00 at our house.”

“Eight it is Liz. We’ll be there with bells on.”

“Goodie….bye Michael.” And I heard him chuckle as he hung up. I don’t know why Tess and Maria couldn’t do that…it wasn’t hard at all.

I called Max’s office and asked the receptionist if they needed a live tree for the office and she said that they used an artificial tree in case the little ones were allergic so I went ahead and ordered the four permits, printed them out and stuck them in my purse to make sure they didn’t get misplaced and about that time the phone rang…thank God for extensions.

“Hello.”

“Hey Liz. How’s your toe doing?”

“Mom! How nice to hear your voice, the toe is purple but fine. What’s up?”

“I just heard that you’re thinking of going to the mountains to cut a Christmas tree. Do you think that’s wise with that toe the way it is?”

“Yes mom, I do. And why don’t you and dad come with us. The Guerins and Valenti’s and the kids are all going …I think it’s going to be fun. We’re going to pack food and Max is going to haul the trees down in the truck. So far we are getting four…you can get the permits on line.”

“Oh honey, your dad and I don’t want to be traipsing around the mountain cutting down trees…I think I’ll just stick my artificial tree up again, it always looks nice and I’ll burn a pine scented candle for realism.”

“Mom, you’re getting old…come on!” I sort of whined into the phone at my mother…it used to work!

“Elizabeth Parker, watch it. I am not getting old, I am getting smarter.”

“Whatever…you need to come with us.” I pouted!!!

“No Liz, I don’t need to go with you. You enjoy yourself, watch that toe and be careful with all of those kids.”

“We will mom and if something happens we have a doctor on board.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right honey…but I’m serious, watch the toe.”

“I will mom. Talk to you later.” I guess I’m too old for whining and pouting, oh well, it was worth a try and I smiled…

And now it’s almost noon and I can have another Danish. I’ve been trying to keep away from that damned pink box all morning so I told myself that I would have Danish for lunch. Now that’s not being too sinful is it? Then, after that I am going to take a nap. It won’t be as good as yesterday’s nap because Max isn’t here with me but maybe I’ll sleep this time. What do you think?

Last edited by mary mary on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Merry Christmas To All (M/L, A.U. Mature) Ch.5 12/16/10

Post by mary mary »

Carolyn and Eve: It has always been my experience that kids were better with other people than with their parents, unless they were really brats... :lol: :lol: :lol:

A/N: I apologize for the short chapter...I had to cut it in half because it was so long, then it was too short so I added a song... :oops: :oops: :oops:

*~*~*

Chapter: 5

On Saturday we had two SUV’s pulled into our driveway piggy back to the crew cab Max had ready to go and the kids were beside themselves with excitement, Jimmy and Terry, Kyle and Tess’s boy and girl ages 7 and 5 respectively and Mike Jr. and Amelia, Maria’s 6 year old twins.

They were all dressed in their winter’s finest…boots, ski pants and matching parka’s looking like little angels with their mittens hooked to the bibs on their ski pants. I grabbed my cell and started snapping pictures like crazy, you would have thought they were my kids. Max and I both got our hugs and kisses from them and then Amelia stood back and looked at the big ugly shoe on my foot…Max had picked up one of those fleece boots at the pharmacy on his way home yesterday. One of those things they put on patients that had just had surgery to prevent blood clots. I wish he would have brought two of them…this puppy is warm, warm, warm, of course the big black shoe is positively the worst possible accessory to go along with the beautiful ivory colored boot, thank God Izzy isn’t there to see it…she would have a fit!

It is easy to see that Tess and Maria had been shopping by the way the kids were all outfitted. It rarely snows down here in the flatlands, maybe once every five years or so, but those kids are ready for it. Max and I looked at each other and smiled and then Michael and Kyle both came over and gave me a big hug and took a look at my big ugly black shoe. It would definitely keep my toe in the right position if I went down. We had the ice chests full of sandwiches…extra large thermoses full of coffee, chocolate and soup and lots of junk food. Potato chips, candy bars, cookies and pastries galore. By 8:30 we were on the highway and headed out of town. I think Max was disappointed that the kids were riding with their parents but when I explained to him what Michael had said he understood perfectly well.

“You know Liz, we’ll feel the same way when we take our kids to cut down a Christmas tree.”

“I know we will sweet…did you see the looks on their faces. This is going to be so much fun.”

“Yes I did and I know it’s going to be fun. I think I’m as excited as they are about this.”

“Max, why weren’t you this excited about the turkey?”

“Ah Damn Liz…I had nightmares every night for a week about that damned turkey fiasco…and it happened exactly the way I dreamt it. The turkey trip just didn’t sit well at all. It involved the death of a live bird and I just didn’t want any part of it.”

“But Max, the turkey we ate came from that same ranch and was butchered the exact same way that a turkey we would have chosen would have been.”

“Yeah, but I didn’t have to look at it’s beady little eyes before it was dead either. That damned bird knew why we were there. That’s why it chased us.”

“Max…you don’t believe that!” And as I look over at my husband and his profile I think he’s serious.

“Yes Liz, I do believe that. That damned bird visited me every night in my dreams…he knew we were after it and he came out fighting.”

Max continued to drive…keeping his eyes on the road knowing full well that if he looked at Liz she’d know he was messing with her.

“Max Evans…that’s insane! That birds brain is no bigger than a pea…it couldn’t possibly know that we wanted him for dinner.”

I couldn’t believe Max would say such a thing.

“You go right ahead and make fun Liz but I know what I know and that bird was fighting for it’s life.”

Max continued to watch the road and remained very serious…

I can’t believe this conversation…he’s not serious, he can’t be. No way.

“Do you think that trees have brains Max?”

“Don’t be ridiculous…no trees don’t have brains but turkey’s do. Let’s talk about something else. What kind of sandwiches did you make?”

“Why? Are you hungry already?”

“No, but food is a good subject. Now tell me what we’re having for lunch and snacks.”

“The same things we would be having if we were home. There’s coffee, chocolate, soup, sandwiches, snacks and deserts. Do you want me to fish something out of the backseat for you?”

“Yeah, a cup of coffee.”

“Okay, but hold her steady big fella because I’m not quite as agile with this boot on my foot.”

“Fair enough…steady as she goes, but you do know that you can take that black thing off in the car Liz…the fleece boot will be plenty for the car.”

About that time Max put a CD in the player because we were losing radio signals on this part of the highway and the next thing I know I’m listening to an Alabama classic “Face to Face”. I love this album and I love this song. It brings back so many memories. I get settled with the coffee thermos between my legs and pour Max his coffee and set it in the mug holder and decide to pour my self one as well and we drive along just listening to the music and watching the scenery roll by. Life is wonderful and the song playing almost brings tears to my eyes…

Run your fingers through my hair
And softly kiss my lips
And hold me close to your embrace
And love me face to face

Face to face, heart to heart
Body to body
Tingling tangle feelings
And lovers face to face

I’ll caress your body
And hold you close to me
I’ll slide my hands around your waist
And love you face to face

Face to face, heart to heart
Body to body
Lips on lips, arm and arm
Body to body
Tingling tangle feelings
And lovers face to face

Softly say you love me
As you make love to me
No one else can take your place
We happen face to face.

By: Randy Owen
Performed by: Alabama

Max reached over and took my hand and smiled…and we just drove along and listened to the album in silence.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Merry Christmas To All (M/L, A.U. Mature) Ch.6/7 12/18/10

Post by mary mary »

Eve: Our weather has been really strange and cold also but where they live it doesn't snow so much although Ken told us in the chat room tonight that they had snow where he lives recently so I guess it does happen occasionally...we get it where I live about once every four years or so. I leave!!! :)
Carolyn: I have both of their albums downloaded onto my I-Pod with quite a few others for all the time. over a thousand "Oldies". We're dating ourselves you know! :P
Dreambeliever: Welcome back...I know what it's like to be busy too. I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

*~*~*

Chapter: 6

We arrived at our destination right around noon and decided to stop at a rest area and have lunch and take a potty break before traipsing through the mountains. Aren’t cell phones wonderful? I think that they rank right up there with the wheel. Absolutely wonderful.

“Aunt Liz, where are we going to go to cut the trees?” Little Amelia wanted to know. Michael and Maria raised an eyebrow at me and I smiled at them and pointed…

“We’re here sweetie. Just pick one out and we cut it down and take it home.”

“You mean one of those trees?” And she pointed at the mountains around us.

“Yes sweetheart…one of those. Any one of those you want you can have. Then we’ll take it home in Uncle Max’s truck and your Daddy will put it in the house for you and you can all decorate it. Won’t that be fun?”

“Well, yeah, but mommy doesn’t let us decorate the Christmas tree. She says we’re too little.”

“Oh. Well, tell you what then. I can’t decorate too much this year because I have a sore toe so how about you come over to my house and help Uncle Max?”

“Dammit Liz! Why do you do that?” Maria shouts at me.

“Do what Maria? She can help Max, I know HE won’t mind. Will you Max?”

“Not a bit sweetheart…as a matter of fact, why don’t we have a tree trimming party next Saturday night and all the kids come over?”

Michael and Kyle are both looking at their wives just daring them to say anything, and I think Maria and Tess got the message. I realize that raising kids and taking care of them 24/7 is a job but it can also be fun. They will have many, many years of perfect Christmas trees and if they give the kids half a chance and with a little supervision they will probably do a wonderful job. I know my mom let me help from the time I was old enough to remember and now she can enjoy her artificial tree and pine scented candles. Come to think of it it’s probably because there aren’t any kids that she’s like that, it’s too perfect…I remember one picture of our tree that had most of the decorations on one limb…now I know why and I smile, life is good.

“So is it a deal?” Max asked.

“Yeah, sure…it’ll give us a chance to do some things that we need to get done.”

Tess said and I nodded in understanding. The following week would be Christmas vacation and then they wouldn’t have much private time for shopping and wrapping special little things.

After lunch we bundled the kids up nice and warm, Max grabbed the saw out of the back of the truck, handed it to Michael because he had me to care for and we were on our way.

We followed a path down through the pines and came upon a clearing that allowed you to see forever it seemed. The kids were in seventh heaven chasing each other and rolling around and the rest of us just watched…I don’t know about the other adults but I so wanted to roll around in that stuff and make an angel. Max grabbed me up into his arms and took me over to a spot that hadn’t been walked on yet and sat me down.

“There, make your angel Liz.” And I looked up at him and smiled as I laid back in the snow and started moving my arms and legs. The kids watched that action and pretty soon we had one big angel and four little angels all lined up in a row and Tess and Maria just stood there and shook their heads. God, when did they get to be such spoil sports?

Then we got serious…Michael found a small tree, well it looked small to me, for the gallery and then Mike and Amelia found one that looked beautiful and Michael stood there shaking his head no.

“Why dad…it’s a pretty tree.”

“Yes it is Mike, but, that tree is probably 20 feet tall. It wouldn’t fit in our house…as a matter of fact I don’t think it would fit in anyone’s house in Roswell. You have to find something nine feet or less.”

“How big is nine feet then?”

“Look at Uncle Kyle and see how tall he is and then stand Terry on his head…that should about do it.”

“Oh, that’s not very big.”

“Well thanks a lot Mike…I thought we were buddies?” Kyle chided.

“We are, but that tree over there is really pretty.”

“It sure is buddy, pretty big is what it is…now find something just a little shorter than what your dad picked because that one is about twelve feet tall.”

“Oh.”

So the kids got the idea and soon we had the truck loaded with Christmas trees and all four kids decided to ride home with Max and me. We were thrilled…no other word for it. So we put little Terry up front between Max and me and the other three were all buckled in the back seat along with all of the cookies and candy. We really should have put the food in the bed of the truck because Michael, Maria, Tess, and Kyle are in for some seriously wired kids by the time we get them home.

On the way we passed a couple of dogs locked up tighter than a snare drum, ass to ass trying to get unattached, running around in circles, the larger dog pulling the smaller dog with it and Max looked over at me and started to chuckle…and then Terry pipes up and asks…

“Aunt Liz, what are those dogs doing…” Max looks over at me and smiles bigger than he has since he heard about the pregnancy and I stuttered for a second…only a second and said,

“They’re playing ring around the rosy honey.” And Max literally choked out a laugh that he’d been trying to subdue…

About that time my cell phone rings…it’s Maria…

“I’m glad they’re with you smart ass.” She gets out past the giggles…

“They’re fine Maria…” I snap back.

“Aunt Liz, can I talk to my mom?” Amelia asks…

“Sure sweetie, here.”

And I hand Amelia the cell phone…

“Mommy, did you see the doggies playing ring around the rosy?” She asks in all of her innocence…

I could see Michael Guerin slapping the steering wheel of his vehicle, laughing hysterically, and Maria shaking her head in merriment…I knew she had that phone on speaker, there’s no way Michael would be laughing that hard unless her heard his daughter.

“Here Aunt Liz, mommies laughing and won’t answer me.” Bless her heart…

“She gets like that sometime sweetie.” And I hang up on Maria. I’m trying very hard to restrain myself.

And now Max is waving at Michael and I see Maria on her phone again and the next thing I know Kyle is blowing his horn at us. Honest to God they are all acting like a bunch of children and then I look at Max. His poor face is purple and his eyes are dancing out of his head, tears are running down his cheeks and I start to laugh along with everyone else.

We had four very confused little children looking at us like we were aliens of some sort. God, ring around the rosy? And I laughed even harder, I laughed so hard my toe hurt and that part was no fun at all.

None too soon we got everyone to their homes and had the trees unloaded then we were on our way to our house.

“What ever made you say ring around the rosy Liz? My God, that had to be the funniest damned thing I’ve ever seen or heard you do. Actually it was genius…I would have never thought of that!”

“Well, I had to tell them something and I sure as hell didn’t want to tell them the truth…we have to leave something for their parents. Don’t you think?”

“Yeah, I do…sweetheart, it was priceless. I think it made the trip for Maria and Tess worthwhile.”

“Yeah, do you know what Maria said to me…”I’m glad they’re with you smart ass”. Well, I guess I showed her…huh?”

“Yes you did.” He said with a smile. “Now let’s get you into the house and settled down for a bit while I unload some of the food containers from the cab. We can get the tree out tomorrow and see what needs to be done with it. It was a fun day Liz, I’m glad you thought about it and the kids had a ball.”

“Yeah, I wonder how many cookies and candy bars they had in the back seat?”

“Oh…I didn’t think about that. I hope they don’t get sick.”

“I don’t think they’ll get sick Max, I think they’ll be up half the night.”

“You’re probably right. Anyway…sit here while I bring the stuff in and then I’ll fix us some chocolate or are you hungry?”

“How about we finish up the food we packed this morning. It won’t go to waste and we won’t have to think so hard about what to do with it…I love you Max.”

“Love you too.” And he bent over and kissed the top of my head before going back out to the truck.”

I noticed that one of the first things he brought into the house was that damned black shoe. I’m beginning to hate that shoe but it does serve a purpose. Oh, but do I ever like this fleece boot…it’s nice! I may suggest that he bring another one home, I wouldn’t mind having a pair of these for around the house.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Merry Christmas To All (M/L, A.U. Mature) Ch.7/7 12/21/10

Post by mary mary »

Natalie 36: I'm so glad you liked it... :D
Carolyn: It really did happen like that...honest. :lol: :oops: :lol:
Lyrallya: Thank you again. :D
XAF RU208: Here's the end but I'm sure there will be a sequel somewhere down the road, this character is just too much fun to write.
Valentinebaby: Yes, she is a great aunt but the neat thing about being an aunt (or a grandmother) you can spoil, spoil, spoil and then send them home! :D
Eve: I'm so glad you like this Liz...she is funny! :wink:

*~*~*

Chapter: 7

Well we all survived the trip to the mountains and the kids are starting to bounce off the walls with excitement. Only one week until school is out and then the fun really begins. Max and I are getting ready for our week-end guests and planning on what the kids can do to make the tree trimming more fun. We thought about letting them bake ginger bread men and hanging them but it would take too long and we wouldn’t get around to the tree trimming because we were spending too much time making decorations so we went to the store and bought candy canes and decorated cookies instead. We figured, if we used an ice pick we could poke holes in the cookies and pull string through them. We bought six dozen various shapes and sizes of cookies and figured that way it wouldn’t take too long to get them ready. If they break them they can always eat them, enough sugar and Maria and Tess could climb the walls as well.

I was surprised at how into this Max truly is. He came home from work early everyday this week to help me with digging out decorations, checking lights for burned out bulbs and doing shopping excursions as we came up with ideas. We were having as much fun as we hoped the kids were going to have and then the big day came. Maria, Michael, Tess and Kyle all showed up on Friday night with four happy little kids in tow and we had pizza and soft drinks while playing games until about 9:00 when it was time for the kids to go to bed. We didn’t think they would be ready, but as Max explained to them…the sooner they went to bed the sooner Saturday morning would be there and we could get busy decorating. That did it…they went to their rooms and climbed into their beds that had already been turned down for them. We have two bedrooms fixed up with queen sized beds so the girls took one room and the boys the other. They were as happy as little bugs in a rug and so were we. Their parents looked at us both and shook their heads…

”just you wait Liz Evans…we’ll see how you are when you have a couple of your own running around.” Maria blasted…

“Well, Maria, I hope to hell I don’t change too much because my favorite Christmas picture is the one with all the decorations on one limb and me standing next to it with a great big toothless smile. My mother didn’t change a thing on that tree and I don’t think I will when it’s my turn. I think it’s mom’s favorite picture too because it is displayed on the mantle every year right next to her perfect Christmas tree.”

And Michael looked at me and smiled…yes, sometimes we forget how much this really means to little kids.

After the adults left Max put the lights on the tree so the kids would have free reign with cookies and candy canes. I hope they have fun because I know we will. We already popped corn and colored it with food coloring in a large bag and have the strings all ready for them to string it together. We’ll string as well as I’m sure that the process may take a little longer than anticipated but I am so excited about this. It’s going to be so much fun and I think Max is too.

And so everybody, Max and I want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and next year we will have a little bundle of joy to share in our happiness with all of you. Til then have a great year and we’ll catch you on the next installment.

The beginning!!!