Mountains So High (CC, AU, Adult) - Pt 63 COMPLETE - 5/22/11

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 21

Post by Double Trouble »

Alien_Friend: Tony rocks! Just no way around it.

Wow, no one is sad to see Mark go… yeah, we’re not surprised either. Well, he’ll have more scenes in the fic, but definitely none on the mountain. ;) Mark was born with the ol’ silver spoon in his mouth and that’s just who he is… he wasn’t going out of his way to be an ass, but the thing is, he doesn’t have to go very far to achieve that. We’ll see if there’s any chance of that happening.

mary mary: Yeah, if only she could’ve been close enough to overhear that conversation! Lol, well… we do tend to write looong fics. Although this will not be anything rivaling DT!

Eva: Tony’s a good guy. You’re so right… he needs to clear some things up and soon!

Lol, not gonna miss Mork the Dork, huh?

Natalie36: We should be seeing some advancement for both guys here pretty soon…

Earth2Mama: Tony is a great guy, we love him too (that’s why he appears here as well as in DT ). He can read Michael really well… maybe he can help our Candies.

begonia9508: He’s a little out of step, but he’ll figure it out.

killjoy: Mork the Dork… like that, huh?

Tony is good at that, and now that he knows what’s going on, kinda, he may have more to say…

sarammlover: Yeah, not a lengthy conversation by any means, but it was enough for Tony to get the picture and shell out some advice. We’ll see here pretty soon.

Maiqu: Welcome back, girl!

It’s ok to hate Mork the Dork, for now he is gone. Lol

The meeting with Maria’s parents definitely will be interesting.

Part 21

Max approached Liz at the fire while everyone else was still in their tents getting ready for the night ahead. They had reached their camp around 4pm and everybody had been happy about the fact that they would have some time to spend together.

“Here,” he handed her a tea he had just made for her.

“Thanks Max,” she said, glancing at him when he sat down across from her.

She took a sip of it and watched her best male friend as he was preparing a coffee for himself. Why he had sat down so far away from her? Right now she could imagine snuggling up against his side and just relaxing a little without saying anything,

“The weather’s beautiful today.” She looked around and blinked a few times when the sun reflecting off of the snow got too bright. “But that makes it really cold too.”

“Yeah, it is beautiful,” he agreed and then smiled. “It’s only gonna get colder though.”

Liz shivered. “I guess I’m gonna put more clothes on then.”

He bit his lip, wanting so badly to go and sit next to her and put his arm around her shoulders. But on the other hand it was getting difficult for him to keep his feelings on the level of friends because he wanted so much more.

“What’re ya thinkin’ about?” Liz asked when she recognized his distracted gaze.

“Just wonderin’ if there’re any more of those weird little rat creatures up here,” he answered, not looking at her.

Liz knew that wasn’t the truth, but she played along. “Who knows, maybe there’s just one behind ya.”

Max just barely caught himself before he jumped and turned his head to look over his shoulder. “You’re funny, Liz. Real funny,” he muttered.

“Oh, come on,” she teased and picked up a little snowball. “You’re no fun lately, Max.” She threw the snowball at him and it accidentally landed directly on his head. “Oops,” she said sweetly.

“No fun, huh?” he asked as he scooped up a handful of snow and advanced on her.

“No, Max, don’t,” Liz laughed and got to her feet, ready to run over to a rock where she could hide.

“You’ve never been able to outrun me.” He moved closer, so busy forming the snowball that he never saw Tess launch a fat snowball at him.

“Got ya, Evans,” she shouted and ran away before he could throw something back.

“Hey!” He turned to take aim at her and caught another snowball in the face. “Maria! Damn it!” Before he could decide which girl to target he was pelted by several snowballs from behind and he turned and glared at Kyle. “Hey, no fair!”

“Need some help?” Michael and Tony suddenly appeared next to Max, snowballs held in each of their hands.

“Looks like it’s the girls against the guys, Kyle,” Max yelled and threw his snowball at the other man. “And it looks like you’re a girl!”

“Um...” Kyle glanced around and suddenly realized he had united with the girls. “Damn,” he mumbled.

“What was that, babe?” Tess asked sweetly, but the snowballs in her hands were aimed at him.

“I said, GIRLS ROCK! Let’s kick some ass!” he yelled as he scooped up more snow and ran for cover.

“GIRLS ROCK!” Maria and Liz shouted and threw their snowballs at the guys only a few feet away from them.

“We’ve got a defector in our ranks, guys,” Nick said as he took aim at Kyle and launched the attack.

“Kyle was always a pussy,” Max laughed when he saw his friend’s face.

“Okay,” Michael called to get their attention and stepped in the middle, making a sign with his hands to stop. “I don’t wanna be the spoilsport here, but make sure you stay in the safe zone, remember that.” He glanced at the others then nodded in satisfaction. “Good,” with that he threw the snowballs he was holing at the spot where Liz and Maria where standing.

Maria glanced at Liz. “We take him out first.”

Liz nodded but hesitated. “How’re we gonna do that?”

“Strategy, baby,” Kyle interrupted. “It’s all about strategy. Max and Nick have his left flank and...” he turned and motioned to the boulders behind them. “Liz, you an’ Tess get up there and take them out... take them down, girls.” He hurried to outline the plan, feeling quite proud of himself when they all seemed suitably impressed.

“You take Max,” Tess said and Liz nodded. “Alright, ready?”

Both girls ran across the camp to reach the boulders, screaming while they attacked the boys.

“I’ve got Tony,” Kyle shouted, clearly indicating that Maria was left to take Michael down.

Max wasn’t expecting it when he ducked to avoid a stray snowball and Liz knocked him down with a full body tackle... shoving snow in his face before retreating to give Tess a hand.

Nick dove out of the way but still took a snowball to the back of the head. “We’re getting trampled!” he yelled as he turned to throw his snowballs at the girls attacking him.

Max got to his feet quickly and reached for Liz when she was about the help Tess with Nick. He grabbed her around her hips and brought her down to the ground again. Carefully, so he wouldn’t hurt her though.

“Cheater!” Liz screamed and tugged his collar away from his neck so she could shove a handful of snow down his shirt. “Cheat again and it’ll go south and shrink the family jewels!”

Max shivered when the ice cold ran down his upper body. “Oh, you’re so gonna regret that girl,” he took a hand full of snow and shoved it into her face before he got to his feet to search for another place to hide.

“You can’t hide from me, Max Evans! You were always the worst at hide-an-seek!”

Maria had managed to walk around the camp in hiding and was now standing behind Michael. “Guess that leaves us, Guerin.”

Michael smirked as he brushed his gloved hand over the oversized snowball he held, carefully crafting it into the most perfect snowball that ever been created in the history of the world. “Gimme your best shot, DeLuca,” he taunted without turning around.

Maria knew she didn’t really have a chance against him, but it was nice to have some fun at least. She made a big snowball, as huge as her small hands would allow and threw it at him. Unfortunately it just brushed his shoulder instead of hitting his head as she had intended. She reacted quickly and ran a few yards to a rock formation where she could hide.

“That was your best shot?” he taunted as he turned and moved in the direction she had taken. “You don’t get points for a shot like that, baby.” Damn it! He winced when the endearment slipped out and he hoped the others were all so busy pelting each other that no one had noticed it.

Maria came out of her hideout and glared at him. “Michael!” she hissed.

“Ha!” he shouted and jerked his right arm back to launch the snowball. Unfortunately, his focus on her prevented him from seeing the slight rise in the ground behind him and as he took a step back he tripped on it and fell back, landing in the snow. He was stunned just long enough for the perfect over-sized snowball to land right in his face.

Maria stepped out from behind the rock and laughed so hard that she almost couldn’t stand upright. “Now, that was priceless, Michael,” she choked out, going over to him to tap his head where there was still a lot of snow.

“Ow, I think I hit my head on somethin’,” he muttered, annoyed at the loss of his masterpiece before it could be used to exact revenge.

“Let me put a little more ice on it then.” She reached down and grabbed a little more snow to put on his head.

“Okay, you were supposed to be all sympathetic an’ shit.”

She snorted. “And I thought you knew me.”

Michael rolled his eyes. She knew him better than anyone and she knew he’d never been one to complain when he was hurt. “So much for that plan.” He waited for her to reach for more snow and when she did he grabbed her around the waist and wrestled her down to the ground.

“Michael,” she shrieked when she lost her balance and crashed into the snow. “Oww,” she complained.

“Oww?” he mocked, eyes automatically scanning over her just to make sure she hadn’t been hurt.

“I hurt my hand, Michael,” she whined.

“Which one?” He used his teeth to pull his glove off and he reached for her left hand when she held it up. He tugged her glove off and ran his fingers over her wrist and down over her fingers. “Feels okay... where’s it hurt?”

“Nowhere,” she shouted out, laughing and using her free hand to throw snow in his face.

“Son of a – “ The moment of shock was enough for her to scramble away from him and take off again. “That’s the last free shot I give you!” he shouted.

“We’ll see,” she teased when she went into hiding again.

Michael growled under his breath and brushed the snow out of his hair. He was leaning down to pick up his glove when someone slammed into him from behind and he ended up with his face in the snow again. “What the hell?!”

Nick jumped to his feet and helped Michael up. “Sorry, man... Tess is seriously insane and she should not be turned loose on humanity! The girl must have some sort of preset for ‘kill’ because she’s been on me like crazy!”

“You’re a pussy, Nick,” Michael got to his feet again and glanced around, when Tess suddenly ran towards him. He reacted quickly, stepping aside and grabbing her hips to push her down to the ground.

Liz had found a way to hide from Max and he hadn’t found her yet. She was creeping towards him quietly and suddenly jumped on his back and pushed her snow-covered glove into his face.

He was trying to turn around, but the woman held tightly onto his neck, legs wrapped around his waist. “Say you give in,” she challenged.

“Never,” he denied. He bent forward slowly.

“Max, what’re ya doin’?” Liz squeaked.

“Getting rid of you or you give in,” he teased and leaned forward even more.

“Max,” she warned. She never backed down, but she wasn’t sure where he was taking things at that moment.

“If that is your wish.” They reached the point where she was slowly losing her grip on him and would fall over to the ground. Liz was prepared for it and was surprised when he suddenly stood up straight again. So fast that her legs lost the grip around him. His hands came around her arms though so she wouldn’t fall hard on the ground and turned to face her.

Liz quickly freed her hands and latched onto his wrists as she planted her right foot against his abdomen, jerking him forward and flipping him over so that he landed on his back in the snow. “You do remember those self defense classes that you insisted I take our first year in college? Thanks for the advice!”

“You are an evil, evil little person,” Max muttered and got to his feet. He glanced to the fire where slowly all of the others came out of hiding. “Truce for now?”

“Only if you have chocolate to offer,” she said as she lifted herself up on her elbows and watched him from her position, reclining in the snow.

He rolled his eyes. “One day you’re gonna get really fat, Liz Parker.” He ducked when she threw another snowball at him. “C’mon now, I’ll get you your damn chocolate.”

Liz got to her feet and jumped on his back, smiling when his hands automatically hooked under her legs to keep her from slipping. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and leaned forward to kiss his cheek. “You’d still love me, Max.”

“Yeah,” he grumbled. In more ways than one.

Kyle laughed when Max and Liz came over to join the rest of the group. “Looks like you finally got him under control, Parker,” he said with a grin.

“And that from someone like you,” Max said.

“Max, are you bein’ mean to Kyle?” Tess asked as she climbed out of the tent with a couple of granola bars in her hand.

“See what I mean,” Max hissed.

“Be nice,” Maria said and sat down on a rock near the fire, resting her back against another. This had felt good, she thought, just hanging out, having some fun without thinking about anything.

Liz ran her hand over Max’ hair, stroking his head the way one would pet a dog. “Yes, be nice or you won’t get your treat.”

“I’m not a fuckin’ pet,” he muttered and sat her down to get her chocolate out of the tent.

She frowned at his retreating back and wondered if she should go after him. His moods were generally pretty mellow with the exception of first thing in the morning and whenever someone pissed him off.

“You look like you had just sex,” Maria said, laughing as she glanced at her best friend.

Liz brushed her hair back over her shoulder. “Generally when I’ve had sex the guy has a much better attitude afterwards.” She hooked her thumb over her shoulder. “That is not the look of a man who’s had sex with me.”

Tess snickered. “Maybe that’s the problem.”

Maria grinned. “So true,” she said in a sing-song voice.

Liz just rolled her eyes. “So, maybe that needs to change,” she said quietly. She was confused and the one person she had always gone to in moments like this was the one person she couldn’t go to right now.

Michael came out of his tent, beanie on his head because his hair was still wet from all the snow. He watched the group talking for a while and every time Maria laughed, he could feel his stomach tickle in response. It was good to see her happy.

“C’mon over here an’ hang out, Guerin,” Nick called and waved him over.

“Yeah, just a minute,” he said and walked further away from the group to check the boundary markers again before it got dark.

Nick started to say something else but nodded and dropped it when Tony shook his head at him. “I’m gonna grab some chips,” he said instead and got up to go to his tent.

Michael walked around and knocked the snow off of the markers that were already covered in a fine dusting of snow from the slight wind that was blowing. He could still hear Maria’s voice in the distance and he knew he’d recognize it and single it out of thousands. How would he get her back? Should he really try to get her back? Did he even have any right to ask her for a second chance? He wasn’t sure he had the answers to any of those questions but as he watched her laugh at something someone said, he knew what he wanted. The real question was what did she want?

A/N: The voting fic is up, you can find it in the AU With Alien Thread!
Fics: A Xmas Story - A Merry Mt. R. Xmas - Cupid's Revenge - Double Trouble - Double Date - Double Dare - Double Empire - Double Xmas Wish - In The Course Of A Lifetime - Mountains So High - Not A Question At All - Surrender - TIC TAC - Two Double Dates at Xmas
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 22

Post by Double Trouble »

Eva: They will all have more fun now, since Mork the Dork is gone, lol. And it definitely will get more interesting for the Candies now.

Earth2Mama: Things will start to lighten up now that Mark is gone. :)

mary mary: And see, it’s Sunday again. Sorry for the delay today, lol.

Hm, things will definitely get more interesting now…

keepsmiling7: Push as much as ya want. Lol

Alien_Friend: Now that Mork the Dork is gone, we will see the group having much more fun.

Lol, we love our updating Sundays as well. And see, it’s Sunday again with 4 new parts.

killjoy: Getting a little frustrated by M&L, huh? Lol

Maybe someone of the gang will follow your advice about the sleeping bag, who knows. ;)

sarammlover: Things will definitely get more enjoyable for the gang (and probably the readers as well), now that Mark is gone.

begonia9508: Now that the loser (Mork the Dork) is gone, we will see the group mood lightening up. Maybe that will also help out two couples to get closer…

Maiqu: Lol, Michael probably knew that she was just fooling him, but he would always make sure she is okay.

M&L are frustrating, huh? Yeah, we know, lol.

rosyrosy2882: Welcome on the mountain! :)

Patient with the M&L storyline, huh? They are frustrating, yes!

Updates are every Sunday!

Part 22

Maria glanced at Michael where he was checking the boundaries the guides had set up as soon as they had started making camp. She wished she knew what to say to him right now, wished she knew whether or not he could really be part of her future.

“Why don’t you just go talk to him?” Liz whispered.

“Why don’t you just go talk to Max?” Maria countered just as quietly.

“No fair,” the dark-haired girl complained.

“And your advice was?”

“Forget it,” Liz grumbled.

“Hey,” Maria shifted closer to her friend, “why don’t you just talk to him? You guys have always talked to each other about everything... don’t let this come between you. The two of you can deal with this if you just put it out there and stop hiding from it.”

“But he has to tell me, Maria.”

“Why? You know he has feelings for you... does it matter who brings it up first?”

“I don’t know...” She stared at the ground.

“What would you do if he told you, Liz?”

“Hell, I don’t know, Maria.”

“Are you lookin’ at him any differently since you know now that he likes you?”

“God, I can practically think of nothing else anymore.”

Maria glanced at Michael again, freezing when she caught him staring at her. “Yeah, I know what ya mean.”

“And what about him? Now that Mark’s gone?”

She bit her bottom lip and cursed herself for giving Liz advice because it was about to blow up in her face. “I don’t know...”

“You don’t know, huh?” Liz teased, nudging her friend.

“My heart knows... and God, it wants him so bad it hurts. But, my head... my head keeps remindin’ me that he dumped my ass and ran without an explanation, Liz.”

“What if you just go for it? What’s the worst that could happen? That he dumps you again, right? But if you stay away from him... wouldn’t it hurt almost as much when ya go home?”

“You make a good argument,” she said with a slight smile. Her eyes traveled over Michael as he stood silhouetted against the snow with the clear night sky as a backdrop. He was a solitary man; as a teenager he had always been on the outer edges of social groups and he had preferred his own company most of the time. That had changed slightly when they had gotten together, but it had taken time. Oh, he had still never been all that social, but he had started to open up with her at least.

There was a difference in him; now he interacted with people and participated in conversations... she smiled. And snowball fights, she thought, remembering how easily he had gotten into the game earlier. But the loneliness that had surrounded him when they had first gotten together in high school was still there.

“I know, I’m smart,” Liz joked and turned to look at Max when he came back with her chocolate and something for him to eat as well.

“Here,” he pulled her beanie over her head, “your hair’s wet.”

“It’s wet because you kept pelting me with snow... and when you weren’t doin’ that you were throwing me on the ground, which is covered in snow.” Her gaze moved over his coat as she thought about the snow she had shoved down his shirt. “Did you change your shirt?”

“Yep,” he nodded and took a seat next to her.

Maria was still debating if she should go to Michael or not. Wasn’t that going to be obvious to the others?

Michael sighed when he realized that Maria wasn’t going to make a move. Maybe it was too soon... maybe she wasn’t ready... and maybe she’s just worried that you’ll break her heart again, his conscience reminded him. He sighed. He hadn’t liked Mark, still didn’t like the egotistical prick, but he had a solid future, he got along with her parents, which meant she wouldn’t be at war with them over him, and there were moments when he had seemed to genuinely care for Maria. On the other hand though... the guy didn’t understand her career choice, thinking that it was just some passing thing she was dabbling in. If he thought that he couldn’t possibly understand HER or what drove her to be so passionate about it or anything else.

“Who wants a drink?” Tony asked as he approached them with something that was quite obviously alcoholic in nature. “Normally we don’t drink any alcohol, but since we’re here early and it’s not a lot, it’ll be okay,” he said. “Just one for everybody though.” He crouched down next to Maria and handed her one. “Would ya mind taking this one to Guerin?”

Maria looked at him, confused. “Yeah, sure,” and stood up, already feeling her heartbeat rising.

She started to walk over to where Michael was standing and stopping a few feet away from him. “Hey...”

Michael turned to look at Maria and his gaze dropped to the cup in her hands. “I see Tony’s been busy,” he commented with a small smile.

“You told him, huh?” There was no other explanation why the guy had picked out her to serve the drink. She had been sitting farther away from Michael than the others.

“Not much, just enough to get him off my ass.”

She closed the distance between them and handed him the hot cup. “No, it’s okay. Liz knows as well.”

“That would explain some of the death glares I’ve gotten from her,” he muttered and took a sip of the hot liquid.

“Sorry, needed someone to talk to,” she mumbled and turned to look out on the snow-covered mountains, holding her cup with both hands to warm them up.

Michael was grinding his back teeth as he tried to find something to talk about. He had never been much of a conversationalist, but he’d never had a problem talking to her. “Gonna be cold tonight,” he muttered and then winced. They were hiking up the side of a hunk of ice and he was offering advice like he was telling her something that wasn’t obvious.

“Yeah, it already is.” She shivered when she thought about it.

“Wanna sleep with me?” God, Guerin, could you stick your foot any further down your throat? “I just mean... to sleep, ya know, ‘cause it’s not as bad if you’re sleepin’ with someone else.”

“I don’t know,” she mumbled, “maybe it’d be better for me to sleep alone tonight... ya know, to clear my head a little.” She knew that if she agreed to his offer, there was no way they were just sleeping.

Michael nodded and let his gaze slide over her. “You never did like to be cold when you were sleepin’.” He shrugged. “Offer’s open if you change your mind.”

She chuckled. “I remember the times you slipped into my bedroom when everyone else was sleeping.” Her parents had never allowed her to sleep at Michael’s place and they hadn’t allowed them to stay at her place together either. But they hadn’t listened and had spent almost every night of their senior year together.

He remembered those nights with crystal clear clarity and there were days when he greedily went over every moment of those memories and days when he cursed them. “Bet you can’t remember a single night we were together when you were cold.”

“Uh-huh, I know one. It was the night before a friend’s birthday, remember? We had a big fight over something I can’t remember now, but I made you sleep on the floor.”

“I only slept on the floor until you fell asleep... and I was always gone in the mornin’ before your parents could catch us, so you just never knew.”

“I really hated my parents for being so stubborn.”

“No girl’s parents would’ve let me stay overnight.” He grinned rakishly. “Your parents weren’t different than any others in that respect.”

She snorted. “They so knew we did it anyway.”

He reached out and traced his fingertips over her cheek. “Your parents could be difficult, but at least they care.”

She shook her head slightly. “They just care about their own interests, not what I really want.”

“They didn’t want you to be involved with a guy like me, Maria. It was no secret that the police spent more time responding to calls from my neighbors than they did responding to any other calls. Wrong side of the tracks, wrong background... they didn’t want you to be ruined by a guy whose own parents threw him away.” He shrugged as if the words didn’t hurt. “They were tryin’ to protect you.”

She shook her head and turned towards him. “No, Michael, they didn’t even try to get to know you. And it’s not only about you. Look, my parents don’t know I’m studying geology, they don’t know that Max lives with me and Liz. They know nothing about my life outside of Roswell.”

“Have your parents bothered to meet your friends?”

“Just met them accidently when they visited me on campus last year, but they weren’t really interested in getting to know them.”

“So... how do they feel about Mark?” he asked, acting like he wasn’t interested.

Maria almost smirked. “How do I feel about, Mark?”

“Feel free to answer that one too. Your parents must’ve been relieved when you started seein’ a guy who’s ambitious, wealthy, and never gets in trouble with the law.”

“Yeah,” she said thoughtfully, “they adore him.” She didn’t want to think about the fact that she had to go down and meet with their parents after this.

“Of course they do,” he muttered into his mug.

Maria laughed out sarcastically. “Ya know, sometimes you’d think they love him more than me.”

“They don’t, Maria. God, baby, don’t think things like that.” He reached out to cup her cold cheek in his calloused and equally cold hand. “They may not have been my favorite people in the world, but your parents love you.”

“Yeah,” she whispered, “I know. In some weird, seriously wrong way they do.”

He turned and pointed out in the distance. “The moon’s gonna be comin’ up over that peak pretty soon... lights up the mountain and it’ll just about take your breath away.”

She glanced back to the others where they were sitting around the fire. They were talking and laughing at some story Tony was telling. “Let’s have a seat then,” she suggested.

Michael dropped his hand and stepped back, motioning for her to lead the way back to the others. He turned and stared out into the distance for several more seconds, wishing that he knew how to make things right between them again.

“I didn’t mean over there, Michael.” She gestured to her friends and walked over to some big rock, that weren’t fully covered with snow.

“Oh, I thought...” He shrugged one shoulder and joined her, leaning back against the rock and pointing out at the peaks that were becoming visible as the moon started to rise behind them. The rock she had chosen put them just out of sight of the others and he relaxed when he rested his weight on his right arm and she shifted closer to him.

Maria leaned her head against his shoulder while her hands still held the cup. She stared out to the mountains and watched the moon rising slowly while she enjoyed being near her ex-boyfriend.

“This’s kinda like bein’ out in the desert, isn’t it?” He chuckled. “Just with snow instead of sand.” They had spent countless nights in the desert, talking and making out for hours.

“Yeah and a lot colder.”

“It is colder, but it’s just as peaceful.”

“How is it that nobody in Roswell knew where ya went, Michael? Did ya really leave without telling anyone?”

“You’re the only one who would’ve cared, Maria. You know what I dealt with at home, so it’s not like there was anyone there to miss me. I was a social outcast and the school only tolerated me because they had no choice.”

“That’s not true, Michael. There were others who cared.” Maybe not like she did, but there had been a few people.

There had been one or two, he thought. They had tried to talk him out of his decision to leave, but he had been certain that it was for the best and they had been unable to change his mind. “I couldn’t tell anyone, Maria.”

Maria shook her head sadly. “Why’d ya leave, Michael? I don’t understand it.”

“Maria... sometimes you’ve gotta do somethin’ that you know’s right no matter how much it hurts...”

She snorted and stood up. “I just know I wouldn’t have been able to just turn around and walk away from you.” She turned to leave to go back to the others.

“Maria, c’mere,” he called, unable to let her believe that he had walked away so easily.

She stopped, but stayed where she was.

“I couldn’t let your parents cut you off an’ destroy your dreams... and if you had stayed with me that’s what would’ve happened.” He shook his head. “You wouldn’t have walked away from me, don’t you think I know that? You would’ve fought to stay with me and your parents would’ve pulled the money for college... you would’ve had to settle for a college that didn’t offer the programs you needed and I couldn’t let you sacrifice your future for me.”

Maria stared at him speechlessly, her mouth opening and closing several times without a sound. She blinked a few times when the upcoming tears watered her eyes. “You left because of my parents?” she choked out.

“Damn, don’t cry, baby,” he muttered as he moved to take her in his arms. Her tears could tear him to shreds in a matter of seconds. “You would’ve defied them, refused to bow down in the face of their ultimatum, so I removed myself from the equation... without me there, they had no reason to threaten to pull the money for college.”

She didn’t know what to say or to think. This wasn’t a reason she had expected or had even ever thought of.

Michael had no idea what she would do now. She had fallen silent and her body was tense – not good signs in DeLuca body language.

“I have to ask you something,” she finally said after she had pulled herself together.

Her voice was too calm, he thought. She hadn’t moved away from him, but she hadn’t relaxed and she was calm. He should probably be thinking about running for his life, he mused, but he shoved the fear away and cleared his throat. “Ask.”

“What’s different now?”

“You’re at the college you wanted to go to, you’re studyin’ geology... you’ve defied them, an’ your parents have to know what you’re studyin’ because your dad’s getting statements from the school since he’s the one payin’ for it.”

“Yeah, but my parents are still my parents, Michael,” she let her hand drop from his arm, “and they’ll be reacting to ya the same way they did in high school...” she took a step back, “and they’re still paying for college...”

He didn’t know what to say. She wasn’t wrong; the situation was the same, they were just a couple of years older. Her parents could still pull the plug on her college fund. “I guess,” he bit his lip for a moment. “I guess you’re right.”

She nodded. “I need to be alone.” With that she walked away quickly.

“Way to fuck it up, Guerin,” he muttered derisively.

Maria walked up to her tent quickly and ducked inside, hoping that the others hadn’t seen her face.

Tony glanced up in time to see Maria practically run into her tent and he turned his head to look at his friend. Guerin was standing at the edge of the roped off area, staring out into the night. He turned back to their group when Liz stood and walked over to Maria’s tent. He wondered if the group had some sort of silent communication going because no one stopped her or asked where she was going.
Fics: A Xmas Story - A Merry Mt. R. Xmas - Cupid's Revenge - Double Trouble - Double Date - Double Dare - Double Empire - Double Xmas Wish - In The Course Of A Lifetime - Mountains So High - Not A Question At All - Surrender - TIC TAC - Two Double Dates at Xmas
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 23

Post by Double Trouble »

Earth2Mama: Maria’s hurt that he took that decision away from her. But she has Liz and she will be a good friend to her.

begonia9508: Right, he wasn’t acting selfishly, he really did think he was making a choice that would save Maria more pain in the end.

Nope, he deserved better consideration, but that doesn’t always matter to some people.

killjoy: Yup, he should’ve, but at the time he thought he was doing it the way that would cause her less pain in the end. He was wrong, but we often make choices that seem right at the time and when we look back at them later we realize that we couldn’t have been more wrong.

Well, all we can say about that is… they are aggravating and frustrating, but it might not take them quite that long.

mary mary: There ya go! A couple of years can make a lot of difference and when Michael made that decision he was only doing what he thought was best for Maria. It wasn’t a matter of him trying to be all noble and self-sacrificing… he just wanted her to be able to follow her dreams. Yeah, he should’ve talked to her and it would’ve probably changed the outcome, but then we wouldn’t be climbing a mountain trying to get these two together, lol!

Well, as long as that’s your story and you’re stickin’ to it… well, who are we to argue?

rosyrosy2882: Nah, it’s all good, lol! Don’t worry, the Dreamers’ time is coming… we’ve just gotta get them past their worries where their friendship is concerned.

Yeah, Michael certainly didn’t leave because he had stopped loving her… as if such a thing could happen!

Yup, she does get the special treatment. 

Yeah, you’re totally in the Glad-Mork’s-Gone club, lol. No one seemed to like him… jeez, wonder why?

sarammlover: Yup, it’s finally out there. Nah, Max and Liz are both dragging their feet… who knows maybe one of them will say something soon.

Alien_Friend: Nope, not really, so it’s a matter of them deciding if they can make it work or not.

Ah, no worries, Liz will be right there to give her friend support.

Part 23

“Maria,” Liz crouched down in front of her friend’s tent.

Maria wiped her eyes and took in several deep breaths, trying to get her voice under control. “I’m really tired, Liz... I’m goin’ to bed.” Liz would never buy it, but Maria could hope that she’d at least let her get by with it.

“I so know that voice, girlfriend. Can I come in?”

She was grateful for the darkness as she curled up on her sleeping bag and waited for Liz to come in. She knew she would no matter what she said; the brunette would bully until she talked to her and she couldn’t blame her because she was the same way.

“Hey,” Liz said quietly after she had zipped the entrance up again. “What’s goin’ on, sweetie?” She lay down next to her and placed one hand on Maria’s cheek. “Are ya cryin’?”

“No,” she denied even though the evidence of tears and her thickened voice gave her away.

“Tell me what happened.”

“He told me why he left.”

“And?”

“My parents threatened to refuse to pay for college if I stayed with Michael and...” she trailed off as her breath caught in her throat.

“And he heard that,” Liz continued quietly.

“But how?” Maria wondered aloud. “They only made that threat the one time... and he wasn’t there.”

“Maybe he was and you just didn’t know it.”

Anger overrode every other emotion as she realized what he had done. “He had no right to make that decision for me. It was my decision whether or not I was willing to risk losin’ my college fund.”

“What would you have decided?”

“That’s a no-brainer, Liz; I would’ve chosen him.” She shook her head. “There was no choice to be made.”

“That’s probably the reason why he didn’t tell ya, girl.”

“That makes no fuckin’ sense,” she exploded. “He should be happy that I would’ve chosen him... he should be ecstatic that I would’ve chosen his scruffy, irritating, annoying ass over a college fund... he should be on his knees beggin’ me for forgiveness for makin’ a decision that broke my fuckin’ heart without ever consulting me!”

“Relax, Maria, okay?” Liz placed a hand on her arm.

“He should’ve let me make the decision,” she mumbled as the anger left her, leaving her feeling drained. “It wasn’t just his decision to make. I know why he did it, Liz... there was more goin’ on than just my parents takin’ away my college fund. He didn’t tell me because he knew I’d choose him... and he didn’t think he was worth it.” She sighed. “And he still doesn’t.”

Liz frowned. The guide had come across as pretty self-assured to her. “Did he tell ya that?”

“I asked him what was different now... he didn’t tell me that he was. Two words, Liz, that’s all I wanted, and he couldn’t give them to me.”

Liz didn’t know what to say to that. Maria was right in some ways; her parents were still the same and from what she knew of them she was glad they had stayed were they were in Roswell. Chances were good that Michael would pull away from her again as soon as her parents entered the picture again... “I’m...” she sighed, “I’m sorry, sweetie.”

“I don’t know what to do. Why can’t he just believe that he’s worth...” she sighed. She knew why. “I don’t know what to do.”

Liz leaned over to hug her friend. “I’m afraid I can’t really help ya with that, girl.”

“This was supposed to be a week without complications,” she grumbled. “Just us hangin’ out, climbin’ a mountain and havin’ fun."

“I know and, hey, it can still be fun, girl, okay? Ya know what, tomorrow we’ll climb together and I’m gonna share the tent with you tonight. Let’s have some girl time.”

“You should invite Max over then,” Maria joked.

Liz chuckled. “He’s a big boy, he’ll understand.”

“Um-hmm... even Max has a breaking point and one of these days he isn’t gonna understand.”

“Maybe a little time apart from him will help me to think about what I want.”

Maria shifted to lie back on her sleeping bag. “Okay, I’m not argue about it... if you wanna hang over here, I’m cool with that.”

Liz smiled. “It’s early though. You gonna come out with me again?”

“As long as I don’t have to sit next to Max when you tell him you’re sleepin’ over here tonight. I don’t want him thinkin’ that it’s my fault he’s bein’ deprived of his cuddle time with you.”

“Uh-huh, choose whatever place ya wanna sit, girl.” Liz straightened up to a sitting position. “Tell ya what, I’m gonna tell everyone that you’ve got a little headache and you’ll come out again when the medicine starts to help.... so nobody will wonder about your puffy eyes.”

“I just love the way you think, girl.”

“I know.” Liz unzipped the tent and crawled outside and closed it up behind her again. She started to walk back to the others when she almost crashed into Max.

His hands came around her hips to hold her upright. “Hey, um... is everything okay with her?”

Liz felt her breath catch in her throat as she stood pressed up against him, his hands on her as he stared down at her. “Huh? I mean, yeah... yeah, everything’s fine.” Why was she having trouble articulating her thoughts? she wondered. “She’s just got a headache.”

“Oh no, those bad ones where she can’t stand upright and has to lay down in a very dark room with total silence?” He looked at the tent, worried.

Damn it! Slight miscalculation, she realized. How had she forgotten that Maria had migraines? “Oh, um, no... well, not yet, anyway. It’s just a little headache... why?”

He shrugged. “It’s just that she won’t feel any better for hours, sometimes a whole day when she gets them and that would totally suck up here.”

Liz laughed, the sound high and nervous. What the fuck was wrong with her? “Nope, just a little one... she’ll be okay soon.”

Max nodded. “Okay, good.” He pointed to some point over her shoulder. “I was just about to get another pullover outta our tent. Ya need anything?”

“Um... yeah, I mean, no... what?”

“Everything okay with you?” he asked, sounding amused. “What were you girls doin’ in the tent?”

“What? Nothing.” Liz smacked his arm and backed away from him, breathing a little easier when clarity came with distance.

“Okaaay,” he said, not convinced. “I’ll be right back then,” he started to take off to their tent.

Liz rolled her eyes and shook her head to clear it. “Oh, my God,” she muttered, “could you have been any more idiotic?”

“Hey, Liz, everything okay?” Tess asked when her friend made it back to the fire. She had noticed that Maria and her had disappeared for a while.

“Perfect!” She was starting to sound like a psychotic Barbie! Stop it, Liz! “Yeah, Maria’s got a small headache. Nothin’ serious, she’ll be back out in a little while.” She cleared her throat. “So, what’re we doin'?”

Headache, Michael thought bitterly. He had joined the group a few minutes before to see that both girls had been gone and he could very well imagine what they had been doing. They had probably put a curse on him.

“We’re roastin’ marshmallows,” Kyle said. “Want some?”

“Yeah, pass ‘em over.”

“So, you guys do any sports at your college?” Tony asked the group. He had noticed that something was definitely wrong with his partner and the ex-girlfriend and some distraction would be good.

“Softball,” Liz answered. “They decided to try a co-ed softball team this year and we play. The guys played on a local hockey team last season, too.”

“Hockey?” Michael asked, interested. “That’s cool.”

“Hockey,” Tess said enthusiastically. “Kyle’s a goalie.”

“You girls play softball?” Nick wanted to know, surprised.

Liz nodded. “Yeah, it’s a lot of fun. Don’t you play?”

“We don’t really have time for anything other than this,” Tony declared.

“Me and Maria are also doing Tae Bo.”

Nick leaned back against a rock and crossed his arms over his chest. “Tae Bo... that’s like that karate jazzercize crap, isn’t it? That’s a chick’s workout.”

“It’s not chick’s workout; bet you’d be on your last leg after an hour,” Maria said when she joined the group again.

Max dropped down to sit next to Liz, silently congratulating himself for not making the mistake that Nick had just made. “Bet he wouldn’t last an hour; it’s a lot more difficult than it looks.” He wasn’t passing up an opportunity to make sure Nick lost some points in Liz’s eyes.

“Well, we won’t find out, will we?” Nick countered.

Maria glanced over the group, trying to decide where she should sit and decided to take the place next to Max and Kyle because it was as far from Michael as possible.

“Hey, I’d pay to see that,” Tony said.

Michael shook his head and leaned forward to pour coffee into his cup. He hated that he had upset Maria to a point that she wouldn’t even sit near him. Why hadn’t he said something, made her believe that things were different this time around?

“Okay,” Tess clapped her hands, “now that we’re all here... let’s play something. What about Truth or Dare?”

“I’m in,” Max said, wondering who he could bribe to dare Liz to kiss him. Or the other way around. Beggars couldn’t be choosers after all.

Maria rolled her eyes. “That’s soooo high school, Tess.”

“Chicken?” Michael asked, just barely lifting his gaze enough to meet hers.

Maria glared at him. “No! I’m in.”

“I wanna play, too!” Nick said as he sat up again.

Liz grinned. “What about you, Tony? Michael? You guys gonna play?”

“Yeah, you gonna play, Michael?” Maria challenged.

“Hell, I’m in,” he threw out carelessly. “I ain’t got nothin’ to hide.” You are such a liar! his conscience taunted. “And hell, I’m always up for a little dare.”

“Yeah, let’s start,” Tony said excited.

“Your idea, babe,” Kyle said as he pulled his marshmallow off of the prong. It was so hot that as it came loose the crispy outer shell came apart and the hot center slipped out. His response was automatic and his hand shot down to catch it, not thinking about the fact that the center would be scalding hot. “Ow! Fuck!” he shouted jerking back and falling off of his stool. He shoved his hand in the snow and sighed in relief when the burning sensation began to ease. “Um, you guys can all just ignore that,” he muttered as he looked up and realized they were all staring at him. “Like I was sayin’... your idea, babe, so you should get the game rollin’.”

“Uh-huh,” she turned away from her boyfriend and glanced around the group. Alright, let’s start with something light, she thought. “Tony, truth or dare?”

He shrugged. “Truth.”

“Okay,” she thought about it for a moment. “What’s the most embarrassing thing in your life?"

“Hmm... most embarrassing...” He thought about that for a moment.

“He’s got a lot of those,” Nick said.

“I do not,” Tony denied. “Oh, I know... hmm... no...”

“Suck it up and just say it,” Michael interrupted. “His most embarrassing moment was when he hooked up with this chick and didn’t realize it was a dude until they started getting naked.” He rolled his eyes and shook his head.

“Guerin, I’m gonna kill ya,” Tony muttered while the others laughed hard.

“Hey, you’re the one who made out with a dude.”

“In Tony’s defense, no one knew she was a he,” Nick defended his friend.

“Thanks, man,” Tony said.

“Alright,” Tess brought her laugher under control. “Your turn, Tony.”

Tony glanced at Michael and saw the wariness enter the man’s eyes. Nope, too easy, he thought. He’d wait until Guerin had relaxed and wasn’t ready before he picked him. “Alright, Liz... truth or dare?”

“Hmm...” the girl pretended to think. “Truth.”

“Most daring thing you’ve ever done... what was it?”

“Um...” she said and chewed on her lower lip. “There’re a lot of things I did... I can’t really say what was the most daring. But last year we went on this descent trip and we climbed through a cavern. I’m a little bit claustrophobic, so it was really challenging for me when the walls of the cave started to become really tight. In combination with the darkness...” Liz glanced at Maria and grinned, “and you totally laughed at me when I had that panic attack.”

Kyle nodded. “You did scream like a big girl... scared the hell outta the bats.” He laughed. “I think Max screamed louder though.” He glanced at their guides. “Thousands of the damn things came flyin’ outta nowhere and then one got caught up in Max’s harness and he started freakin’ out.”

“Ya know what, Kyle, I don’t think we need to share everything,” Max growled.

“Okay, it’s my turn now, right?” Liz asked, excited. “Hmm... Kyle, truth or dare?”

“Yeah, Kyle, truth or dare,” Max muttered. Liz would make him pay for bringing up that memory. Was it his fault that he had issues with rodents and bats?

“Well, since truth seems to be the theme... let’s go with truth.” No reason to go with a dare; Parker could get pissy when people picked on her good buddy Max and retaliation could be a bitch. Yep, truth was the safer option.

Liz nodded and grinned. “Okay, what’d ya do on your birthday last year?”

“Can I switch to a dare?” he asked, embarrassed just thinking about his last birthday.

“Nope,” she answered sweetly.

Max laughed out loud and high fived his best friend. He had known she wouldn’t let him down. “Good one, Liz.”

“God,” Maria chuckled, “I’m embarrassed for you, Kyle.”
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 24

Post by Double Trouble »

mary mary: Cool, we’re glad you’re enjoying the ride!

Hmm… all we can say is we’ll find out…

Eva: Oh, yeah!

Lol, well, let’s hope we don’t have to wait quite that long!

Michael still hasn’t let go of what’s always held him back.

Natalie36: Thanks for reading and… we promise, it only seems like forever.

Alien_Friend: We’ll see…

Oh, yeah, lots of possibilities!

He should’ve, yes, but, he incorrectly assumed that by taking himself out of the equation the problem would be solved. We’ve got a feelin’ she’s gonna straighten him out about that one.

Earth2Mama: Apology… sooo not necessary! :)

Yup, you’re right, and it will come to that. Exactly! He was only doing what he thought was best for Maria.

Lol, oh, Maria could let loose with both barrels… we’ll see.

sarammlover: Really… we did. Oh, you might just find out in this next update then!

rosyrosy2882: Lol, that’s the big question!

We think we’ll find out in this next update.

Yup, it’s a game that can definitely lead to some interesting revelations.

Poor Tony is right!

Oh, you can bet there’re gonna be more truths and dares coming up.

Funny, everyone seemed to be pretty quick to sign up for membership in that club! It seems to be quite popular!

Cardinal: Um, yeah… seriously, we did.

A couple of days without Mork the Dork around and a couple of friends pushing them in the right direction, you just never know what’ll happen.

Lol, well, as a rule if it looks too easy it probably isn’t gonna take off all that soon in one of our fics… that’s true. It’s not quite the same, but if you like Liz as the pursuer you might enjoy one of our other fics… Double Date.

killjoy: We will reveal Kyle’s embarrassing moment just now ;).

Part 24

“No fair,” Tess grumbled.

“Okay, ya know what? It was an experiment in sexual pleasure and just for the record... the instructions in that book could’ve been a little more detailed.” He leaned forward, protectively crossing his hands over his lap. “Fine, Tess and I were attempting to do this position called ‘the Rising’... okay? And I threw my back out.” He could feel the heat flooding his cheeks. His back had completely locked up and he had literally been unable to move.

The group burst out into laugher. “Man, that’s really embarrassing,” Nick said and patted Kyle’s shoulder sympathetically.

“Okay, you guys can all laugh, but at least we try new stuff... maybe nothin’ that complex anymore, but...” He glanced at Tess. “That was your fault, ya know.”

“Why would that be my fault?”

“Because you poked me in the eye with your big toe and I jerked back... which, coincidentally, is when I threw my back out.”

Michael made a face. “Ungh, no more details please.”

“I need a copy of that book,” Nick said.

“Why? The woman getting bored in your bed?” Tony teased.

“At least the women in my bed are actually women,” Nick tossed back.

“Your turn, Kyle,” Liz said, preparing for revenge from him again.

“Truth or dare, Parker?”

“Why’re you pickin’ me again?” she complained. “Fine, dare this time.”

“Because you, my friend, have earned the right to be picked on.” He grinned at her. “I dare you... ya know, you an’ Max are like a package deal,” he mused slowly.

“Uh-huh,” Liz said, not liking where this could lead to.

Kyle glanced at Max. Uh-huh, I know what you want, buddy, but no dare-kiss for you. Laugh at me, huh? “Remember that whole chocolate-lickin’ thing you were talkin’ about last night? I dare you to re-enact it.”

“With Max or Maria?” she wanted to know.

Max straightened up at her question. He was gonna burst into his pants if Kyle picked him.

“Hmm... good question.” Kyle grinned suddenly. “But, seriously, the guys outnumber the girls and I don’t know any guy here who wants to see you lick anything off of Evans. DeLuca, be a good sport, will ya?”

“You are so sick, Kyle,” Maria muttered and turned to Liz.

“Okay, which body part, Kyle?” Liz teased.

Max groaned. This wasn’t any better.

“I’m gonna be generous here since we’re out in the cold and all. Cleavage is probably out unless we’re all gonna pack into one of these tents.”

Nick was practically salivating. “Don’t be too generous, man.”

“Hey, Maria’s the one who’s gonna have to expose some part of her body for this, so, Maria, I’ll let you choose.”

“You’re so gracious,” Maria muttered and was tempted to just choose something boring like her hand, but that really wouldn’t be any fun, would it? She leaned forward to whisper something in her friend’s ear.

Liz nodded with a grin. “Anybody got any chocolate?”

“I’ve got chocolate,” Max muttered and nearly tripped over himself to get up and go get it.

Liz took it from him when he got back and stuck it on a fork to hold it in the fire for a brief moment before she turned to Maria. “Ready?”

The other girl nodded and leaned back, opening the zipper of her outta gear, the zipper of her jacket, the zipper on her other jacket below and then pulled the first few buttons of her shirt open. “Thank God I didn’t wear a pullover, huh?” she teased.

Liz grinned and got with her knees on the ground, moving between her friend’s legs so she could run the chocolate over the cold skin of her friend’s cleavage.

Michael was edging closer to the edge of his stool and he paid no attention when it tipped forward. No, she was not gonna do this... Damn, his fingers started to itch when just the slightest hint of Maria’s flesh began to come into view.

Liz grinned at Maria when she realized that their friends were all quiet and she let the chocolate run over Maria’s skin again until she reached the beginning of her well-formed breast. “Alright,” she handed the chocolate back to Max and turned to Maria again, leaning down and licking the chocolate from her skin painfully slowly to make sure every guy there would enjoy it. “Mmm, baby, ya taste so sweet,” she mumbled when the chocolate was gone and she winked at Maria.

“Oh... fuck...” Nick murmured.

Michael’s hands were curled so tightly around the legs of the stool that he was surprised he hadn’t bent them. He would’ve liked nothing more than to toss Parker aside and take her place... after he beat every guy there into unconsciousness just for seeing what belonged to him.

Nearby Max was on the verge of hyperventilating as he watched and listened to every sound Liz made. He was gonna damage himself at this rate.

Liz got up and moved back to her seat and Maria straightened up to pull the zippers up again. She shivered when the cold wind touched her bare skin.

Michael’s hooded gaze lifted when he realized that Maria was covering herself up again and he jerked back when his gaze met hers and she had the audacity to wink at him.

Liz turned to Max. “Ya like?” She waggled her eyebrows playfully.

His mouth dropped open and he stared at her as if she’d suddenly grown a third eye. He made a sound that no one on Earth could have deciphered or translated into anything other than a strangled groan.

“Guess that means yes,” Kyle said grinning.

“Okay, let’s move on,” Tony said, knowing that the guys all needed a little distraction. “Liz, looks like it’s your turn.”

Liz glanced around and her gaze settled on Michael. “Truth or dare, Michael?”

Michael considered his options. Liz knew about him and Maria so truth or dare? Damn, both could get uncomfortable. He took a deep breath. “Truth.”

She wanted to ask him what his biggest regret was, but decided at the last second that it would put both him and Maria in an awkward position. “What’s the most dangerous thing you’ve ever done?”

His heart fell into a normal rhythm again after her question. Thank God. Actually that was a good question. “Savin’ Mork’s ass.”

“Really?” Somehow Liz was disappointed.

“Yeah,” Tony sighed, “that’s a really lame choice, man.”

“Guerin just doesn’t like to talk about himself,” Nick said. “Pick me, I like to talk about Guerin.” He grinned and shot the finger at Michael when the older guide kicked the stool he was sitting on.

“Was it really dangerous?” Liz asked curiously. No one other than the guides had seen it. They had all been in their tents.

“It was reckless and risky,” Nick answered. “Mark’s still alive because Guerin basically threw himself off the edge of the mountain and kept Mark from fallin’ several hundred feet.”

Maria glanced at the man in question who risked his own life to save her boyfriend.

Liz nodded. “Wow, I didn’t know that.”

“Yeah, we still need to have that talk about you losin’ a few pounds, Guerin,” Tony complained.

“Pure muscle, man,” Michael replied.

“Uh-huh, of course it is.” Tony rolled his eyes. “That flyin’ squirrel routine isn’t somethin’ you should make a habit of.”

“Wasn’t plannin’ to,” Michael said. “So, it’s my turn, huh?” He glanced around the group. “Max, truth or dare?”

Max just knew this wasn’t gonna be good. He looked around the group, mentally going over the choices so far. He was a risk-taker as long as small creatures and Liz weren’t part of the risk... his spine seemed so shrivel up when either one came into the picture. “Dare, man... hit me with it.”

Michael grinned. “Alright, I’ll make it simple, buddy. Choose a girl and kiss her breathless.”

Everybody glanced up at Max with wide eyes.

“Hmm... choose a girl, huh?” He leaned back for a moment and looked over his choices. Liz wasn’t an option; sure, at first he had been hoping this opportunity would present itself, but when he got around to kissing her it wasn’t gonna be on a dare or with a bunch of people gawking at them like performers in a circus. Tess... just wouldn’t be right since she was with Kyle and he and Kyle were tight. Which only left Maria who was currently without the anchor that was always pulling her down. He smiled slowly as he smoothed his right hand over his goatee and stood up, passing Liz and stopping in front of Maria. He held his hand out to her and quirked an eyebrow. “Think I could trouble you for a kiss?” he asked. “I promise I’m a damn good kisser.”

Maria took his hand, forcing her gaze to stay away from Michael as she stood to face Max. “So, Michael,” she said, the slightest taunt in her voice, “would this kiss be with or without tongue?”

“With, man,” Nick said before Michael could answer. “Without would be way too easy.”

Maria exchanged a quick glanced with Liz, who looked stunned. She mouthed an ‘I’m sorry’ and turned back to Max again.

The left corner of Max’ mouth lifted as he leaned in so that his lips were next to Maria’s ear. “Wanna give ‘em a show? If you’re not okay with this, I’m cool with it and I’ll back out of the dare.”

Oh, no, she wouldn’t back out now. Michael had wanted it that way and hopefully Liz would understand. “We’re gonna have a really serious talk about this later, Evans, but for now, shut up and kiss me,” she whispered.

Max closed his eyes and pulled up an image of Liz as he rested his hand along her jaw and tilted her face up, angling it to the left as he lowered his head and kissed her.

Maria played along and let her hands rest on his shoulders, while Max ran his tongue along her parted lips. He definitely was a good kisser, but she felt... nothing.

Tony glanced at Michael and shook his head at him. “So, what exactly are you getting out of this?” he asked. The poor guy looked like he was about to stroke out.

“He wasn’t supposed to choose her,” Michael muttered.

Liz felt the jealousy creeping up in her slowly and had to look away. Why the hell had he picked Maria?

Max slowly ended the kiss and pulled back, winking at Maria as he lowered his hand. “You’re a helluva a kisser,” he whispered, “but don’t hate me when I tell ya that I was thinkin’ of someone else.”

She grinned. “Ditto.”

He gave her a hug. “You’re a good friend, Maria.” He released her and went back to his seat. “So, guess that makes it my turn, huh?” He grinned and pointed at Nick. “Your turn, buddy.”

“Uh-huh, I’ll take dare.”

I dare you to take a flying leap off the side of the mountain, he thought when Nick shot a quick glance at Liz. [/i]‘Cause I’m sure as fuck not darin’ you to kiss Liz![/i] Bastard couldn’t have made it simple and gone with truth.

Max nodded to himself. “I dare you to strip down to your boxers and sit out here for two full minutes.” Let’s see you flirt with Liz when your junk’s all shrunk, jerk-off.

Nick glared at Max. It was fucking cold even with the clothes. “Sure,” he answered coolly and stood up, shivering already as he pulled the first zipper down.

He made it a point to lock his gaze on Liz when he pulled the last shirt off to reveal his well-toned upper body.

“Hello, Nick,” Liz said and whistled under her breath.

Maria smirked slightly when the man lost his pants as well. She ignored Michael deliberately and focused on the almost naked man in front of her.

Max cursed under his breath when he saw Liz’ gaze. Damn, she wasn’t supposed to like this. Maybe I should’ve kissed her, he thought bitterly

“Damn... no wonder you boys don’t come down off the mountain that often,” Tess purred.

Kyle glared at Max. “This was your bright idea?” he hissed.

Nick glanced at his watch at sat down on his outer gear. Had Evans thought he would take him out with this? Pff, the boys and him often used the sauna down at the lodge and then ran outside in the snow wearing nothing but their boxers.

Kyle stood up. “Ya know, babe, I could totally do that, too.”

“Uh-huh, wait for that until we’re alone. I don’t share.”

Liz glanced at Max and waved one hand in his direction. “Max?”

“Huh?”

“Why don’t you try it?”

“Yeah, why don’t all you guys do it?” Maria asked, grinning.

Liz looked over at Nick. “It’s your turn, so why don’t you just put that dare out there?”

“Maybe later,” he said with a grin. “So, Tess, what about you? Truth or dare?”

“Hmm... generally I’d go with dare, but I think if you dared me to strip down I’d have to take the dare and then Kyle would have a cow and he’d be pissy for the next hour or so... so, I’m gonna go with truth.”

Max rolled his eyes at her long-winded explanation. “Just say truth, Harding, jeez!”

She turned her head to glare at him. “You’re next, Evans.”

“Oooh, I’m shakin’ in my boots.”

She snickered. “You will be.”

“Alright,” Nick said while he got up to get back into his clothes. “Can ya imagine marryin’ Kyle someday?”

“That’s easy,” she said, waving her hand dismissively. “We’re already engaged, so yes.”

“You’re what?” Maria asked. “Why didn’t ya tell us?”

“We haven’t told anyone yet,” Tess said, nudging Kyle. “Somebody thought we’d get teased about bein’ the old married couple.”

“C’mon, this isn’t something you can hide from your friends. No fair,” Maria complained.

“Well, we wanted to enjoy it, just the two of us for a while.” She rolled her eyes. “C’mon, you know how my parents are... the wedding will be out of my hands once they find out!”

Maria snorted. “We’ll talk about this later, Harding.”

“Tess, it’s your turn, babe,” Kyle reminded her before she and Maria got into a long, drawn-out conversation about weddings.

Max was preparing for revenge like she had promised. If she went with that it could get embarrassing.

Tess turned and leaned back against Kyle. “Max, Max, Max... are you shakin’ in your boots yet?” she asked again.

“Whatever,” he said, trying to play it cool.

“I think turnabout’s fair play.” She looked at Liz and grinned when the girl’s eyes widened. “Show us what you’ve got, Evans.”
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 25

Post by Double Trouble »

begonia9508: Well… where would the fun be in that? Lol! Oh, Tess is going to do more than shut him up…

Thanks for reading!

Earth2Mama: Hooking up? Hmm… we’ll find out soon enough how this night of Truth or Dare is going to end.

Max definitely should’ve kissed Liz, but… well, ya know, we like it complicated.

Natalie36: Ooooh, we’re gonna find out today!

mary mary: Lol, so true…

Oh, he probably should’ve thought it through a little better, but, well, he wasn’t exactly thinking.

Hmm, Tess? Let’s go find out…

behrlyliz: Lol, oh, you know he’s gonna go for the dare.

sarammlover: Yeah, Tess just played it off, right? Think Michael’s gonna let Max get by with that one?

Alien_Friend: Well, if they’d give us the actors and a film crew we’d be happy to put ‘em on film for ya. But, sadly, they’re probably not gonna do that, so we’re all havin’ to rely on the old imagination for the visuals, lol.

Well… Max may see more than he wants to…

Yup, Kyle and Tess are already well on their way.

Cardinal: Lol, you’re very right. However, we’ll see what happens soon.

No, he won’t ask Liz to choose… way too much risk at this point. We’ll find out who he chooses in this next part though.

Lol, you’re close. Very close… with some of your speculation. ;)

Oh, Truth would be too simple at this point.

rosyrosy2882: Thanks! Excellent, glad we made ya laugh.

Easy to picture the guys staring, right?

Yup, that’d be a bit awkward. Aww, c’mon, they’re not gonna make it easy on ya!

Well, ending it there was kinda unintentional, lol, but it left things hanging at a fun spot.  But, now we’ll find out what’s coming now. Oh, and Happy Birthday!

killjoy: Max wasn’t exactly thinking that dare out very well… it was a spur-of-the-moment dare. He’ll probably think a little clearer next time out.

kismet: Welcome back!!!

Lol, you cheated! You got to avoid suffering through Mork the Dork’s parts, lol. 

The game has a bit to go, so let’s get back out there!

tabata: Welcome to DT world! ;)

Thanks! And here we go with the next update! (We update every Sunday.)

Part 25

Max shrugged. “Go ahead, hit me with a dare.”

Tess grinned. “Let’s go, Evans… strip down to your boxers.”

“Be my pleasure,” Max said with a fake grin.

Liz covered her face with her hands and groaned. Max hated to be put on the spot unless it was by his own choice. He would force himself to do it though because he wouldn’t back down from a challenge.

Max stood up and started to pull his clothes off quickly. The sooner it was over, the better.

“Hello, Max, wanna kiss me again?” Maria joked.

Max glanced at her and rolled his eyes. He was fit and he had nothing to be ashamed of, it was just the thought of doing this in front of virtual strangers.

“Alright, time’s running,” Liz said and glanced at her watch. She felt bad for him and wanted it to be over soon.

Max wanted to look at Liz just to see if there was the slightest bit of interest in her eyes, but he was paralyzed by the fear that there wouldn’t be anything there.

“Go on with the game, Evans,” Kyle told him.

“Ya know, I don’t see you takin’ anything off,” Max said. “Not that it’d matter since no one would be lookin’ at you.”

“Not my challenge,” Kyle replied.

“S’okay, Harding,” Max said calmly. “You’ll get yours.”

She rolled her eyes. “Choose someone, Max.”

“Before or after I put my clothes back on?”

“Is that important?”

“Well, it’s kinda important to me. I’m about to have a pair of frozen California nuts... and trust me when I tell you that nuts grown on the coast of California should never be frozen.” He rolled his eyes at her when she just looked at him without any sympathy. “Maria, girl, I don’t think you’ve had a chance to play yet.”

“Uh-huh, and yet you’ve kissed me and Liz has licked chocolate off of my body.” She thought about it for a minute. Truth wasn’t really a good idea in her current position. “Dare.”

“Dare, dare, dare... I’m guessin’ that losin’ clothes isn’t an option since you would kill me in my sleep later...”

“Uh-huh.”

“Alright, well, tell ya what then... we seem to have a guide who’s lookin’ a little lonely and sittin’ all by himself, so... I dare you to go sit in Michael’s lap for the next hour or until we call it a night, whichever comes first.”

Her eyes widened in shock. “Oh, no, you don’t Max...”

Max grinned. “DeLuca... if I can strip down an’ air condition the boys the least you can do is go generate some body heat with Mr. Silent over there.”

I’m gonna kill him, she thought and glanced at Michael.

Michael knew he should probably be pissed at the guy for orchestrating this, but how could he be mad at him when he was kinda giving him what he wanted?

Maria shot a helpless gaze at Liz and stood up. “Fine, so Michael, where ya want me?”

He grabbed her hand when she moved closer to him and he pulled her down in his lap. “Don’t ask questions like that unless you really want an answer,” he growled, his voice low so it wouldn’t carry to the others.

Max got back into his clothes and winked at Maria. “You make such a sweet couple.”

“So do you and Liz,” she hissed.

Maria tried to calm down, but Michael’s closeness and the fact that his hand was laying on her thigh wasn’t helping.

“Put the claws away, baby,” Michael murmured. “What do you really think’s gonna happen with all these people around us?”

“Uh-huh, just hold your hands still, will ya?”

“Your turn, Maria,” Liz said, trying not to stare at Max as he sat back down beside her again.

Maria glanced at her best friend and smirked. “Truth or dare, sweetie?”

Liz wasn’t sure she liked the way Maria was looking at her.

“Dare... I think.”

“Okay,” Maria grinned, happy that Liz had picked the answer she wanted her to choose. “You, my friend, get the chance to pick one of our sexy guys up here and kiss him.” Please take Max, she thought. “Or, no, I’ve got somethin’ better,” Maria said.

Liz glanced around at the guys... such a buffet to choose from! She was tempted to choose Max, just because she could get away with kissing him and seeing what it was like without any real consequences.

Maria had seen that Liz’s gaze had locked on Nick and she knew she would choose him. Damn. “Alright, you have to kiss two guys and tell which one is the better kisser.”

Maria wiggled her eyebrows. Hopefully this would help. If she had to kiss two guys, maybe it would be easier to choose Max as the second guy.

“Hmm... who to choose...” Her gaze shifted to Tony and he held his hands up.

“No dice, sweetheart; I’ve got someone waitin’ on me down at the lodge and I’m thinkin’ news of this would have her rethinking our date.”

“Spoilsport,” she muttered. “Fine, what about you, Michael?”

“What about me?” he asked warily.

“Two guys... you and Nick.”

Was she serious? Max didn’t know what to think. Didn’t she want to kiss him or was she just not choosing him for the same reason he had kissed Maria instead of her?

Maria looked at Liz in shock, her mouth slightly open.

Liz crossed the space separating them. “Seriously, Maria?” she hissed. “You kissed Max... with tongue!”

Maria nodded. Liz was right but still, she had wanted her to pick Max. “Have fun then,” Maria said and got up from Michael’s lap.

Liz had no idea where this sudden feeling of jealousy had come from, but she hated the fact that Max and Maria had kissed. Hated it! She took a step back when Michael suddenly stood up. Damn, he hadn’t seemed so big from across camp!

“Ready, Parker?” he asked, playing it cool.

“Fuck, you’re huge,” she muttered. Max was tall, but he was also on the slim side and Kyle was... well, short.

Michael smirked and wrapped one arm around her to lift her up on a nearby rock.

He was just so broad and rangy... where the hell was she supposed to put her hands? And why was she so nervous about this? She didn’t even know this guy. Because Max is watching and you know about this guy’s history with Maria, her conscience taunted her. “Maybe we can just make this quick,” she suggested.

He shrugged. “Okay.”

Maria bit her lip. God this was like watching a bad accident; it was cruel to look at it but you just couldn’t help but look back either.

Liz leaned in closer to him but before their lips could make contact she jerked back. “Ya know, we could just – “

Michael growled and took the decision out of her hands, kissing her thoroughly but not taking any pleasure out of it and not even enjoying it. He pulled back and put her back down on the ground. “Think you’ve got another frog to kiss,” he muttered, wiping the back of his hand over his mouth.

He quickly retrieved a cup of coffee and swallowed half of it, ignoring the fact that his throat wasn’t appreciating the scalding liquid. He grabbed Maria’s hand before she could get away and pulled her back down to sit in his lap. “You’re not goin’ anywhere,” he warned.

“This is so uncomfortable, Michael,” she complained.

“Why?”

“Because I can’t rest my back anywhere.”

“Here, stand up a sec.” He got up to grab her stool and sat it down in front of him, between his legs. He sat back down and motioned for her to take a seat and he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her back against his chest. “Better?”

“Yeah,” she said quietly. “Thanks.”

Nick was grinning like a fool as Liz walked up to him and he raised his right eyebrow when she stopped in front of him. “I kiss a lot better than Michael,” he bragged.

“Uh-huh, we’ll see,” she countered and grabbed him by his collar. She just wanted it to be over, she thought as her lips crashed to his.

Nick wrapped his left arm around her, tugging her close as his right hand came up to slide under her hair and wrap around her neck. He ran his tongue over her lips, requesting entry. He felt the hesitation in her and he lifted his head to look down at her. “You okay?” he asked quietly.

What the hell was wrong with her? At the beginning of this trip she had wanted him and now it felt so wrong. “Uh, yeah, but I guess it’s enough to figure out who’s better,” she said and stepped away from him slowly.

Max realized that his teeth were gritted painfully and he tried to relax a little.

“So, Parker, who’s the better kisser?” Kyle asked.

Liz kept her gaze averted away from Max as she sat down next to him again. “Nick,” she answered. “Definitely Nick.” Honestly, she didn’t even really know... she had just wanted it to be over as fast as possible. She should’ve just kissed Max.

Nick shot his fist into the air while Michael grumbled something under his breath.

“I think I’m ready to call it a night,” Tony said as he stretched. “I’m a little tired and I’d like to get out of this with my clothes on and before someone dares me to kiss Nick.”

“Yeah,” Tess stretched, “I feel kinda tired as well.”

“I’m done in for the night,” Max admitted.

“Oh, Max, before ya crash, gimme my sleeping bag. I’m gonna sleep with Maria tonight,” Liz said.

He paused and turned to look at her. “You’re what?”

Liz stood up and walked a little away from the others. “She’s feeling lonely, Max, and we have to have a girls talk.”

He nodded. “Alright, well... I’ll get your bag.”

She followed him when she heard his sad tone. “I’m gonna miss ya though. She’s not gonna be able to keep me warm like you do.”

Max ducked down into their tent, rolling her sleeping bag up and handing it to her. “Hold on a sec, Liz.” He leaned in further and grabbed one of his sweatshirts, turning around and handing it to her. “Here, it keeps ya warm at home.”

She smiled. “Thanks,” she whispered and leaned down to kiss his cheek, deliberately almost touching the corner of his lips before she walked over to Maria’s tent.

He flopped over on his back and slammed his fist against the ground. “Fuck!” he snarled.

Michael knew now that everyone was gone from around the fire Maria had practically no reason to stay with him any longer. He wasn’t willing to let her go though and he tightened his grip around her while he nuzzled his nose against her neck to inhale her familiar scent.

Maria couldn’t help herself as she leaned back into his embrace, tilting her head just a bit to give him better access. She knew she shouldn’t let him get away with this for so many reasons, but she was only human and she had missed him so badly.

Michael looked around the camp and everyone seemed to be in their tents or somewhere else. He reached up to brush Maria’s her back so he would have better access to her neck. The cold air was really a problem because he had to fight for each inch of her skin. He lowered his head again, nudging her ear with his nose and placing small whispered kisses to her neck.

She brought her left hand up to cup his neck, her fingers tangling in the longish hair that hung just over his collar. Despite her desire to continue this, to take it even further, she knew she couldn’t and her fingers clenched in his hair, giving it a gentle tug.

He lifted his head slowly and stared into her eyes when she turned her head slightly to look at him. “I know,” he whispered.

“This isn’t easy for me, Michael,” she whispered as her thumb traced over his bottom lip. “There’s a part of me that wants more than anything to stay here with you, but...” she shook her head. “I can’t.”

He nodded slightly as he let his gaze drop to the ground and released her from his grip around her waist.

Maria hurried to make her escape when he let her go, diving into her tent like a jackrabbit with a pack of hunting dogs on its heels.

Liz looked up in surprise and quickly crawled to the end of the tent so Maria wouldn’t crash into her. “What the hell... Maria?”

“It’s um... really... cold! It’s cold out there!” She rolled her eyes. More like hot enough to melt the snow off the mountain, damn it!

“Uh-huh, then zip the freaking tent up.”

Maria quickly zipped the tent up, pretending not to see the pair of dark, mocking eyes that were watching her from across camp.

“God, it’s really cold,” Liz shivered and climbed into her sleeping bag.

“It’s not too late for you to go cuddle up with Max,” Maria teased.

“Nah, I’m stayin’ with you. And,” she glanced at her friend, “you’re gonna share what it felt like to kiss him.”

“What? I don’t know... I’m not even attracted to him, Liz... it was just a kiss.”

“Then tell me how he kissed! Come on, Maria, you have to share.”

Damn, how to answer this question without pissing Liz off? You didn’t just kiss the guy your friend liked and then tell her it was great, right? “Okay, if I was attracted to him I would’ve been totally into it... he knows what to do with his tongue and it would’ve been hot... but... just kiss him, Liz!”

“Why the hell did he pick you over me?” Liz pouted. “I mean, if what you say’s really right, why didn’t he choose me?”

“Do you really think he would’ve taken advantage of you that way? I’m sure he thought about it, but realized that’s not what he wants for your first kiss... and he probably didn’t wanna embarrass you in front of everybody.” Maria snorted. “He probably didn’t wanna embarrass himself either... ‘cause if he had done that and pissed you off you would’ve put a hurt on him while everyone was watchin’.”

“Uh-huh, and why’d ya put that kiss challenge on me, huh?”

“’Cause I figured you’d be smart and take the opportunity to kiss Max... which you didn’t.”

“No, because I wasn’t sure if he wanted that after he chose you,” Liz mumbled.

“Um-hmm... and picking Michael?”

Liz grinned. “Well, you kissed my man, I kissed yours.”

“Michael is not my man, Liz,” she denied quickly.

“Well, Max isn’t mine either, ya know what I mean.”

Maria snuggled up in her sleeping bag. Damn, she had been warmer sitting outside with Michael’s arms around her. “Somebody was lookin’ very jealous when you kissed Nick.”

“Really?” Liz grinned.

“He looked like he just about swallowed his tongue.”

“Well, that sounds good,” Liz giggled. “Same with Michael, I was expecting him to explode when ya kissed Max.”

“He issued the challenge... and hello! Max couldn’t pick you or Tess... and since I know that man is not about to kiss another guy, that just left me.”

“But ya didn’t like it,” Liz said, relieved.

“No, I think it’d be safe to say I didn’t.”

“I didn’t like kissin’ Michael either.”

“I know.”

“Damn, he’s so huge, Maria.”

She grinned. “Yes, he is... in every possible way.”

Liz rolled her eyes. “TMI, girl. I didn’t even know where to put my hands on him.”

Maria just laughed. “I don’t recall that ever bein’ a problem for me.” She smiled as she lay back in her sleeping bag and stared up at the ceiling of the tent. She was doing her best not to think about what it had felt like to be in Michael’s arms again and she turned her head to the side when Liz shifted around, drawing her attention.
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 26

Post by Double Trouble »

begonia9508: Exactly! Some people just don’t learn easily.

keepsmiling7: Yup, definitely interesting.

Earth2Mama: Lol, you seem to be… frustrated?! ;) Don’t hit us, but that was our intention. *duck*

M&L will find their way together as well as M&M, we just have to be patient.

rosyrosy2882: Glad you got a laugh outta that one!

Yup, they’re so not getting anywhere this way. They just haven’t realized they’re running in circles for the same reasons. Lol, well, finding out that someone else is willing to share his tent might just make her get her act together.

Oh, they’ll get around to it. They’ve just gotta decide what they’re willing to risk for each other.

killjoy: Well, not really. It does seem to be taking forever, but in fic-time it’s only been a total of six days from the first part and they’re only on their third day of the climb, so see? Not tryin’ to kill you.

We’re not exactly sure if we should say ‘thanks’ or ‘sorry’ about that cold shower.

Wow… ready to toss ‘em off the mountain after only three days. Hmm… wonder if that’s some kinda record?

kismet: Lol, well, they’re both running from the truth to some extent. Michael and Maria both gave them the opportunity to choose the person they really wanted, and they both decided against it for reasons that’re very similar.

Don’t worry, that break’s coming… and soon.

Eva: Nah, it’s not a case of shyness on either part, promise. Lol… well, if Sebastian should show up and start singin’ “Kiss the Girl” we won’t have Max wait any longer!

mary mary: So, they’re driving ya crazy? In Liz’s defense, she has no ‘relationship’ experience to speak of. Is Maria the best advisor she could seek out? Lol, probably not at this point, but her other option is Tess and she doesn’t know what’s going on, so…

We’re here to make your day.

Alien_Friend: Awkward is exactly what it was. We’re pretty sure that kiss, when it happens – and it isn’t all that far off, will be worth the wait.

sarammlover: Mountain snuggle time is coming… and soon.

Natalie36: Do you know they’ve only been on the climb for three days? ;)

Part 26

Liz pulled the shirt Max had given her over her head and inhaled deeply. “He smells so good.”

“He does smell good,” Maria agreed, paying no attention to the fact that Liz was talking about Max.

“Uh-huh, I’m talking about Max, girl.”

“Right, well... yeah, he’s okay, too.”

“What’re we gonna do, Maria?”

“I wish I knew.” She also wished she was sharing a sleeping bag with Michael. She felt a twinge of guilt when she realized that Mark hadn’t even entered her thoughts.

“Have ya thought about your boyfriend tonight?”

Maria rolled onto her side and propped herself up on her elbow. “No...”

“Uh-huh... realize something?”

“I shouldn’t be contemplating what could be with Michael when Mark’s at the lodge waiting for me.” She bit her bottom lip.

“Well, that’s not exactly what I was thinking...”

“Tell me what you were thinking.”

“That you should see Mark’s not the right guy for you, Maria.”

“Have any of you guys ever liked him, Liz?”

Her friend made a face. “No...”

“Ungh,” Maria flopped over on her back.

“Sorry.”

“No, you guys have always been honest about the way you felt about him. I just thought that would change if you got to know him better.”

“I never understood why you picked him, girl.”

“He’s different when it’s just the two of us.” She winced. “And maybe I should’ve seen that as a big, flashing neon sign.”

“Maybe he treats you okay, girl, but he’s nothing like you. He doesn’t enjoy outdoor sports, he’s not outgoing, he’s... he’s boring. And you’re so full of life, Maria.”

“Well, he enjoys stuff like that, he just doesn’t seem to... enjoy it as much when... you guys are around.” How had she not seen that? “Oh, my God,” she muttered.

“You can do so much better, Maria.”

“So could you.”

“I don’t having a boyfriend.”

“I know... but you tend to have the use-a-couple-times-and-throw-away policy, and you could do a lot better than that.” She smirked. “Maybe that’s why the thought of hooking up with Max makes you so nervous. He’s not lookin’ for a fling with you, Liz.”

“Uh-huh... maybe. Never did the steady thing before.” She sighed. “All I can think is what if we try it and it doesn’t work out?”

“What if it does? There’s no way to know how things are gonna turn out, all we can do is go for it and hope things work out.”

“Does that count for you and Michael, too?”

“I don’t... I’m still with Mark, Liz... how can I even think of goin’ for it with Michael?” Okay, the bad thing was that it wasn’t that hard to think about it. The hard thing was actually keeping herself from acting on her thoughts.

“But if ya don’t do anything because of Mark... what will happen then, Maria? ‘Cause we’re goin’ home after this... and Michael isn’t coming with us.”

“I just never really saw myself as someone who would cheat on her boyfriend.”

Liz sat up again and looked at her friend. “Ya really wanna give up on him now?”

“No.”

“Do ya want him back?”

Did she want him back? Yeah, there was no point lying to herself. “Yeah, I do... but what if we can’t get past what happened before?” She groaned. “What if he takes off because of my parents again? I don’t know if I could survive him takin’ off like that a second time.”

Liz shrugged. “You would have me this time.”

“Same goes for you, girl.”

Liz nodded and grinned. “It’s just that Max would live in the same apartment with us.”

“Well, it’ll make it so much easier for you to spend the night together, won't it?”

“Yeah, but there’s also no avoiding each other.”

“We’ll figure it out, Liz. If I can go for this, you can go for it, too.”

“Okay, let’s pretend this is working out. You and Michael... what’ll ya do about the distance?”

“Hmm... I don’t know... maybe check out the colleges around here and see what our options are... he’s happy here, surrounded by nature and not fenced in by walls. His childhood was... let’s just say it wasn’t good and he’d never be happy in a job where he was confined all day. And I’m sure they’ve got good programs up here, considering the area.”

Liz made a sad face. “So you’d leave us.”

“It’s just one option, and I don’t know that it’s the one we’d choose. There’re outdoor excursions in California, too.” She grinned. “Of course, in the perfect scenario, you guys could always move here.”

Liz smiled. “I’d really miss ya, girl. We’d have to consider this possibility.”

“Max has had a lot of fun up here, too... and please, he’d follow you anywhere.”

“Think your parents will be a little cooler about it now?”

“I don’t know. My parents really hated that we were seein’ each other and my dad... oh, my dad threatened everything he could think of to make me break up with Michael, but I wouldn’t do it.” She sighed. “I didn’t care that they said they wouldn’t pay for college or that I would be responsible for all of my own finances after high school... all that mattered to me was Michael.”

“You really love him, huh?”

“Yeah, that hasn’t changed.”

“Tell him that he matters to you, Maria. And that you’ll stick with him no matter what your parents say about it.”

“Problem is that I’m not the one who walked away because of my parents.”

“I know...”

“So, whatcha gonna do about Max?”

“Wait until he makes the first move?” Liz said carefully.

“I guess that’s important considering the circumstances... wonder when he’ll finally get his nerve up?”

“Yeah.... he will, right?”

Maria laughed quietly. “Eventually.”

Liz made a face. “I’m gonna die.”

“You’re not gonna die.”

Liz grinned. “At least I’m not the only one screwed here.”

“Great, we can form a new club.” Maria snorted and pulled her sleeping bag tighter around her. “We should get some sleep, girl.”

“Yeah. Good night, girl. Tomorrow we’re gonna think about how we can get our men into our sleeping bags.”

“Now there’s a thought to sleep on. G’night, Liz.”

Michael crossed his arms over his chest as he watched the guy who had dared to put his hands on Maria crawl out of his tent and stand up. He stuck one booted foot out, directly in Max’ path, when he moved to pass him. “Goin’ somewhere?”

Max glanced up surprised. “Um... brushing my teeth?”

“Um-hmm.” He took a bite of the candy bar he had been enjoying, slowly chewing it as he watched the other man. “There a reason you picked Maria for that little dare? Tryin’ to make your little friend jealous maybe?”

Max frowned and took a seat next to Michael. “If I’m gonna kiss the woman I really want, then it wouldn’t be in front of everyone.”

So you kiss the woman I want, you little prick? Michael silently railed. “Kissin’ her friend isn’t the best way to put yourself out there an’ let her know you want ‘er.”

Max shrugged. “Maria’s cool and Liz won’t be mad because of this, it was just a game.”

Michael turned and smacked the back of Max’ head. “Not the kinda game to play when you’re dealin’ with friends and potential girlfriends, ya fuckin’ moron.”

“Would you back off? What the hell is wrong with you?”

“Just hate to see a guy hang himself before he even takes the chance.”

“Sure that there’s nothin’ else behind this?” Max asked doubtfully.

“I know you Californians are all touchy-feely and into that whole guys-getting-in-touch-with-their-femine-side bullshit, but you can just take your little analysis and stick it up your ass.” Hmm... that had probably come out a little more defensive than he had intended. “We got one trouble-maker off this mountain; we don’t need to replace him with other issue.”

Max shook his head. “You started this, man. Why do you care who I kiss anyway?”

“The last thing we need up here is a catfight.”

Max snorted. “Liz and Maria don’t get in catfights.”

“Why don’t you go brush your teeth? We’ve got a long day tomorrow.”

“Yeah,” Max said sarcastically, “that’s what I was intending to do before ya came up with your jealous interrogation.” His eyes widened. Was it jealousy?

Michael stood up and glared at the other man. “I’m not getting into a fight with you over the fact that you don’t have the balls to kiss the girl you wanted to kiss.”

Max grinned. “Does Maria know you’ve got an eye on her?”

“What?” How had this gotten turned around on him? “Weren’t you gonna go brush your teeth?”

“Ya know she has a boyfriend.... but we wouldn’t mind if she broke up with him.”

“Kinda hard to miss the fact that you guys don’t care for him, but don’t you think it’s kinda odd that you find it so easy to try an’ pawn her off on a stranger?”

Max shrugged. “You’ve got a few days to get to know her better, and from what I can tell you two would do just fine.”

“What makes you think the two of us would get along so well?”

“Don’t know, man. You have this... fuck, I don´t know. It just seems to me like you guys would fit really well together.”

The guy suddenly had his attention. “Uh-huh... and how do you suggest I convince her that she should dump the stiff and hook up with me?”

Max pointed a finger at him. “So you admit it, I knew it.”

“Hypothetically speakin’, genius.”

Max leaned back against a rock formation and crossed his arms over his chest. “Secretly, Maria already knows that Mark isn’t good enough for her.”

“Secretly?” Michael rolled his eyes. These California guys really did have scrambled brains. “And you know this how?”

“We talk, dumbass. Maria and I are good friends.”

“And yet you’re quite possibly the most antagonistic where the boyfriend’s concerned.”

“She knows I can’t stand him. Hell, she knows no one can stand him and I’m positive that she’ll dump his sorry ass as soon as someone better steps into her life.”

“Hmm... well, we’ll see.”

Max shrugged. “Besides Liz she’s pretty much the coolest girl I know, man. She’s doesn’t complain broken nails, she knows she’s beautiful without make up, she likes to party and have fun, AND of course, she’s fit and sporty. What more can a guy want?”

Michael grinned. “I think I might just be startin’ to like you. When we get back to the lodge I’m buyin’ you a drink.”

“Uh-huh, we should do that. And kick Mark’s ass out.”

He nodded and waved Max off, sending him to take care of his business and he sat back down. He glanced at Maria’s tent and wished that she didn’t have company because he’d have been more than ready to join her after this conversation.

Mark slouched down in the most comfortable armchair in the living area, propping his foot up on the padded ottoman and sighing as the atmosphere settled around him. The silence of the cabin was so welcome after the past few days of listening to Maria’s friends. God, what a bunch of losers! What could she possibly have in common with them? He was never going to understand why she enjoyed spending time with them.

The silver tray next to him was filled with an assortment of crackers, cheeses, and grapes. He reached for the remote and aimed it at the television, hitting the power button and flipping channels before he found a current events program that focused on politics. He munched on the cheese and crackers for a while as he watched the show, offering the occasional agreement or disagreement and carrying on a one-sided conversation with the reporter. “Now this is more like it,” he muttered as he leaned over and picked up his glass of wine.

He had been back at the local hospital that afternoon for a follow-up after his visit the day before and the doctor seemed satisfied that his injury wasn’t serious. He was content with the man’s professional opinion and he took it as a sign that he could now enjoy his vacation in a manner that suited him.

Marks gaze wandered to his cell when it buzzed once just to remind him that it was a friend’s birthday today. He ignored the reminder and dialed the number of his parent’s cell. He hadn’t called them yet to let them know he was already back down from the climb.

Marcus Patterson III nodded when one of the servants brought him the phone and informed him that his son was on hold. He waved the person away – he had no idea what her name was as it wasn’t pertinent information. He pressed the hold button and lifted the phone to his ear. “Good evening, Son.” He glanced at his calendar. The boy should be with his girlfriend, climbing the mountain.

“Hey, Dad,” Mark greeted his father.

“I’m fairly certain cell reception is nonexistent on the mountain, so I can only assume that you are calling from the cabin; are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I had a little accident up there and they had to bring me down ‘cause my leg’s sprained, but I’m good. Don’t worry.”

“An accident? I want the name of the guide who allowed that to happen,” he demanded. “I’ll have him fired immediately!”

“No, no, no, Dad,” he assured his father. “Actually, it was my own fault. They did tell us weren’t allowed to go past the marked boundaries but I did because I lost my glove during a storm.”

“Accident?” Janine Patterson echoed as she joined her husband.

Marcus covered the mouthpiece and looked at his wife. “Mark had a small accident on that infernal mountain. I knew this trip wasn’t a good idea.”

“The boy’s old enough to make his own decisions, Marcus. Hand me that phone.” She rolled her eyes at her husband as he did as she requested. “Mark, sweetie, are you sure you’re alright?”

“I am, Mom, yes.”

“Is Maria taking good care of you?”

Mark made a face. “Maria’s still on the mountains with the others.”

“What do you mean she’s still out on the mountain? You’re hurt and she didn’t return with you?”

Marcus rolled his eyes at her. “I’m sure he told the girl to stay and enjoy her vacation.”

“That’s just ridiculous,” Janine insisted. “How could she possibly enjoy her vacation when Mark is all alone and hurt?”

“Dad’s right, Mom. I told her to stay.” Okay that wasn’t completely true, but he felt the need to protect her. “We spent a lot of money for this and Maria worked hard for it.”

“Well, why don’t we join you a few days sooner than planned?” she suggested.

“Yeah, why not,” Mark nodded. “I could introduce you to the man who saved my life when they get back down from the mountain.”

“That would be acceptable,” Marcus agreed when his wife relayed their son’s words. “Tell him I’ll make sure that guide is rewarded for saving his life.”

Mark had heard him through the phone. “He won’t take any money. I already asked him, but he said it’s his job.”

“Let your father handle that, sweetie. We’re going to make a few phone calls and arrange our trip so that we can arrive a little earlier.”

“Alright that’s cool.”

“Alright then. We love you, sweetie. Take care of yourself and we’ll see you soon.”

“Bye.” Mark hung up and turned to the TV again. Knowing his parents, they would probably make an appearance very soon. He glanced at his watch. 6pm. He would wait another hour and then head over to the lodge to have dinner.

______

A/N: This day is kinda important to us, since we are posting the last part of our "baby" Double Trouble. It's been a long ride and we are kinda sad that it is over now.

But well, the end of something is also the beginning of something new, right?

So here is a short trailer for our new fic: "TIC TAC"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kzg7MIFya4
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 27

Post by Double Trouble »

Natalie36: Wow, really? Lol, surprise!

begonia9508: Hmm, no, probably not the best idea, but we’ll see…

mary mary: Lol, well, Mork would be a good reason to do the “oooohhh, shiver” dance!

Yup, interesting is a good word for it. ;)

killjoy: Only three weeks? Lol, you should consider yourself lucky then! ;)

Wow, so quickly forgotten.

Yeah, Michael definitely wanted to avoid the whole Emo-Cali deal.

Alien_Friend: Jeez, so many of the readers said that, lol!

It could happen. Think they should all move up to Washington, huh? They would sure have a lot of fun together.

It’s true, jealous Michael can be very humorous. He and Max are on their way to building a great friendship.

Yup, we’re getting very close! We’ll miss ya while you’re gone. Have a safe trip!

Tic Tac… well, we’ll have more news about the upcoming fic very soon!

Earth2Mama: We’re pretty sure she already knows who she wants, but when will she admit it to herself and the rest of the world, including her parents and Mark?

sarammlover: Trouble? In one of our fics? No!  Well, okay… probably. Well, all we can say is someone’s gonna make a move here pretty soon.

Eva: Well, they certainly haven’t given you much to like so far, lol.

The guys are gonna make great friends!

kismet: Excellent! Hold onto that hope, ‘cause it won’t be much longer!

You’re probably right about that.

Surprise! We didn’t want ya to forget about Mork. 

Hmm… Courtney? Well… that’s one possibility.

Posting for Tic Tac will begin soon… as soon as we have a definite date, we’ll post it so you guys can be on the lookout for it!

Part 27

Michael stuck the last of the markers in the snow and turned to the group. “Alright, let’s get those tents up, people,” he said. It was already getting dark and they had climbing with just a few short breaks during the afternoon. The group seemed to be exhausted, but that was totally normal after the day they’d had. The wind had picked up for a while and made the climb even harder, so he was glad that they had made it to the planned camp just in time for nightfall.

“Thank God,” Maria muttered to Liz, her climbing partner for the day. The girls had put Max and Michael together and their expressions had been priceless when they had made that announcement.

“I’m exhausted,” Liz agreed and dropped her pack on the ground.

“I’ll put the tent up if you make dinner tonight,” Max offered.

Liz nodded. “Sounds great.” She walked over to a big rock and leaned against it to rest.

“Lucky you,” Maria muttered and started to get everything out that she needed for the tent.

Michael paused to watch the group and his eyes settled on Maria’s exhausted form. He pulled a couple of the packaged meals out of his pack and dug around for the coffee before walking over to her. “Here, why don’t you get to work on these puppies an’ I’ll get you set up. Trust me, I’m a helluva lot faster.”

Maria was too exhausted to complain about his last comment and just nodded, taking the meals from him.

“I want a backrub and sleep,” Liz complained. She was so tired that even mixing water into their meals felt like too much work.

Max glanced up when he heard the word backrub. “You’ll get it after dinner.”

“Lucky you,” Maria grumbled.

Max glanced at Michael. “Hey, man,” he hissed, “why don’t ya offer Maria a backrub too?” He winked at the guide.

“Don’t you think that’s gonna be a little obvious?” Not that he didn’t want to. But he didn’t want her to be put in an awkward position either.

Max shrugged. “Well, we just have a few days; ya really think this’s the time for takin’ things slow?”

“Look, Jiminy Cricket, why don’t you take your tent and put it up on the other side.”

The other man lifted his hands in defeat. “I was just sayin’, man.” He made a face when he saw that Michael’s tent was almost done and his was still flat on the ground.

Michael grinned smugly as he tugged on the tent, making sure it was secure. “Kinda like a dick... easier to use when it’s up.”

“I heard you,” Maria muttered, shaking her head, when she searched around her pack for some tea.

“It’s true and I wasn’t tryin’ to hide it,” he commented.

“Whatever,” she muttered and walked back to the fire Tony had just set up when she had found the tea.

Great, she was tired and cranky... such a fun combination where Maria was concerned. He had to come up with something that would get her to relax, he thought as he snagged the meals she had deserted in favor of making a cup of hot tea.

“Thanks,” Liz walked up to Max and rested against his side. “I feel like I can’t take another step.”

Max wrapped his arm around her shoulders and walked her over so she could sit on one of the camp stools. “Then get off your feet, goofy girl.”

Michael carried the packages back over to his pack and put them away before digging around for something more specific. Once he had the packages in hand he unzipped another compartment and pulled out the little cooking kit he carried.

Maria cursed when she realized she had forgotten to take her camp stool with her and she walked back to her tent again, crawling inside when she noticed that Michael had placed her stuff inside already. She opened her pack again and got the stool out of it.

He settled down by the fire, intentionally taking a spot with plenty of room on either side as he waited to see if Maria would join him. He set about mixing one of the packages and then arranged the contents in one of the pans and covered it before placing it over the fire.

Maria walked back to the others to see that almost everyone had gotten settled around the fire. Only Kyle and Tess were missing. “Where’re the others? Tell me they’re not havin’ sex. I couldn’t even if I wanted to right now.”

“Unless they’re havin’ sex in their sleep I’m gonna say that’s a no,” Tony said as he leaned forward and held his open palms over the fire. “Steady snorin’ comin’ from that end of camp.”
Tony placed his seat on the right side next to Michael. Two places left; the first on Michael’s left, the second next to Nick. I’ll take the first, she decided, but just because Liz will be sitting on my other side.

Michael glanced up at Maria when she sat down beside him. He flipped the pan over and motioned for her to hold it while he ripped the second package open and added boiling water to it, stirring it up and then closing it and setting it aside. His hand covered Maria’s as it wrapped around the pan’s handle and he pulled it back away from the fire. “Hungry?” he asked, his eyes meeting hers.

“Starving,” she admitted.

He opened the pan, separating the bottom from the top, essentially making two ‘plates’ and taking two of the biscuits inside and placing them on one side. He opened the packaged meal and poured half of it on the makeshift plate and held it out to Maria. “It’s not fancy, but it’s spaghetti with biscuits on the side.”

“Spaghetti with biscuits,” she mumbled with a smirk. “Nice creation.”

He bit his bottom lip. “Spaghetti used to be your favorite meal,” he said quietly.

She nodded. “Still is.”

“Will tomorrow be as exhausting as today was?” Liz asked and slouched down in her seat to get more comfortable.

“No,” Tony assured her. “Still tiring, but not like today. We spent half of today scaling that glacier, but we won’t have to do that again.” He glanced over his meals. “Hey, Nick, you got any of the chicken and rice? I’m not in a pasta mood tonight.”

“Here.” Nick threw one of the requested meals over to Tony.

“Is it normal that every muscle in my hands seems to ache?” Maria asked, making a face when she made her right hand into a fist and she felt the stiffness.

Michael unzipped one of the pockets on the sleeve of his coat and pulled a small packet out. He ripped it open with his teeth and put the empty packet back. He shifted so that he was facing her, balancing his makeshift plate on his knees as he reached for her hand. He peeled the backing off of the first patch and laid it over her palm, pressing it into place and rubbing his thumbs over it. After a few minutes he repeated the process on the back of her hand. “The stiffness isn’t unusual, so don’t worry about it. The heat’ll loosen the muscles up, but keep flexing your hand.”

She nodded. “Thanks,” her voice sounded coarse and she coughed slightly.

“Anytime,” he answered with a small smile.

Max reached out and placed his hand under Liz’s when it started to slowly inch downward. “Hey, girl, don’t fall asleep yet.”

“Huh?” She glanced up. “Oh, yeah...” she straightened up again. “Sorry, I know I sound like a pussy but I’m soooo tired.”

He laughed quietly. “We climbed a sheet of ice today, Liz. I think you’re entitled to a little bit of exhaustion.”

“Yeah, you’ve all done great today,” Tony said.

“Besides, you beat Kyle an’ Tess,” Max murmured as he pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

“You guides seem like you could do the whole trip again right now,” Maria noticed.

“Yeah, but we’ve done this a lot,” Nick said and motioned to Tony and Michael. “Especially the old guys over there.”

“How much vacation time do ya get during the year?” she asked.

“Well, we’re not required to climb as often as we do,” Tony answered. “We get a couple weeks off in the summer. More time off in the winter when the storms come in and it’s too dangerous to make the climb.”

“Wow, you’re really busy most of the time then, huh?” That wasn’t too obvious, was it? Maria thought. She just wanted to check to see if there was any possibility of figuring something out IN CASE she and Michael got back together.

“Depends on what we’ve got goin’ on,” Michael said as he set his fork on the edge of his plate. “Like Tony said, we’re not required to make this climb that often. There are shorter climbs that’re available to the guides and there’re... other options.”

Nick rubbed his hands together. “Ya know why we take on so many of these excursions?”

She shook her head. “Why?”

“The three of us are gonna start our own outfit.”

Michael shrugged when she turned her head to look at him. “More options available to us if we own our own outfit, less time spent on the mountain, but still not confined to a desk.”

“Wow... well, that’s cool,” she replied.

He nodded. “It leaves room for us to have lives outside of the job,” he said, staring at his plate. He dared to lift his head and look at her. “If we happen to have someone in our lives.”

Max glanced at Maria and Michael and frowned. Something was going on between them, and more than that the guy was interested in her.

“Well, what girl would want a boyfriend who’s up here more than he’s home, right?” Liz said.

“Right now none of us have anyone in our lives so that makes it easier to work these long stretches without takin’ much time off,” Tony said. “But,” he grabbed one of the biscuits off of Michael’s plate and bit into it, “that could change, and if it does we’ll work around it.”

Max slouched down a bit and reached over with his hand to massage Liz’ neck. “At least you don’t have to sit in boring classes or write stupid essays,” he said.

Liz groaned when his thumb found a particularly tense spot. Damn, he had such good hands.

Michael laughed. “Different kinda classes and tests... we’ve got licenses and certifications that we have to keep up to date.”

Maria glanced at Michael and smirked a bit. She was so proud of him, what he had done with his life over the last two years.

Tony nodded. “More paperwork though once we get our operation up and runnin’.”

Michael snorted. “We’re hirin’ someone for that.”

“I thought that was what we were keepin’ Nick around for.” Tony grinned when Nick glared at the guys.

“You guys are a fuckin’ riot.”

Max smirked when he glanced over at Liz and saw that she could barely keep her eyes open. “Hey, you should eat your meal before ya drift off, girl,” he reminded her quietly.

“Too lazy to chew,” she said with a tired smile but forced herself to eat.

As soon as she was finished Max cleaned up and then disappeared into the tent to grab their toothbrushes. “C’mon, Parker, let’s get ready for bed before you fall asleep and I have to carry your ass to bed.”

She held her hand out to him so that he would pull her out of her seat. “Help me.”

He chuckled and pulled her to her feet.

They started to walk off to the end of the camp, still holding hands. “I still get that backrub, right?”

“Yeah, of course.”

“I can’t wait.”

Yeah, me either, Max thought. “Did ya have fun today?” he asked.

“Yeah, it was great,” she mumbled around her toothbrush. “Very exhausting, but in a good way.”

“Yeah.” He was quiet as he brushed his teeth. “What d’you think about Michael?”

Liz frowned. “How do ya mean?”

“The guy likes her, Liz.”

“Guess ya mean Maria?”

“Did you see him puttin’ Tess’s tent up? Or fixin’ her dinner?” He rolled his eyes at her. “Of course I meant Maria.”

She nudged him with her elbow. “Yeah, he likes her.”

“So, whatcha think about him?”

“I think he fits her much better than Mark does.”

He chewed on the bristles of his toothbrush. “If she liked him too, would you encourage her to go for it?” He shrugged when she glanced at him. “Even though Mark’s waitin’ for her down at the cabin... would you tell ‘er to go for it?”

Liz frowned. “Did he say something to you?”

He growled under his breath. “Would that make a difference in how you answer my question?”

“Maybe,” she spit out the toothpaste.

“Say he said somethin’... what would you say?”

“I would say it depends on what exactly he said.”

Max shook his head at her. “Why’re you bein’ so damn difficult about this?” he muttered as he started to pace. “I gave the guy some advice and I wanna know if it was right... but are you tellin’ me what I need to know? Huh-uh, you’re bein’ uncooperative.”

She tapped his shoulder. “Maybe I’ll tell ya during the massage,” she said. Before that though, she had to talk to Maria and ask her if she could tell Max the truth about Michael.

He snorted. “What you’ll do is fall asleep durin’ the massage, you crazy girl.”

She wasn’t so sure about that. Max’s hands on her body... she had a feeling it wouldn’t really be that relaxing at all. Liz stopped when they reached the others again. “Hey, DeLuca, can I talk to ya for a sec?”

Maria glanced up and nodded, wondering if Liz needed some ‘Max’ advice. “Yeah, sure.”

“I’ll be right there,” Liz told Max and dragged Maria a few feet away.

“Hey, um... Max knows something.... or at least he suspects that there’s something goin’ on between you and Michael.”

“What?!” Maria hissed. “How?”

“I don’t know... he said something about Michael sayin’ something.” Liz frowned. “Well, I don’t know, but he was asking me about him. What I think about him and that he knows that Michael likes you.”

“So... he didn’t say what Michael said?”

“No.”

“Damn! Guess that would’ve been too easy.” She sighed and glanced back at Michael, shivering when their gazes collided. “So, what’s your question?”

“I wanted to ask you if it’s okay to tell him the truth. He suspects something and I don’t wanna lie to him, Maria.”

Maria hugged her friend. “I’d never ask ya to lie to him, Liz. I just... whatever happens, I’ll deal with Mark when we get back and this needs to come from me, not you or Max.”

She nodded. “Sure.”

“Alright... you can tell him.”

“So, you won’t mind if I crash with Max tonight, right?” Liz asked her friend.

“No, no, go ahead,” Maria assured her.

“Ya know, you don’t have to sleep alone...” she teased.

“Good night, Liz.”

Liz made a face and they both walked back to the rest of their group. “Alright, we’re callin’ it a night,” she declared.

Tony stood and walked up behind Nick when he realized he was dozing. “C’mon, Junior,” he said, thumping the back of his head, “time for you to go nighty-night.”

“Yeah,” he mumbled and got out of his seat.
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 28

Post by Double Trouble »

Earth2Mother: Ah, Liz couldn’t hold out for long with Max. Oh, you just never know what’ll happen.

Just waitin’ for Max to make a move, huh? Well, you just never know – this could be the night. Perhaps your frustration with the two of them will be able to take a little time off?

Aww, probably doesn’t help, but we’re missin’ Double Trouble too!

kismet: Oh, things might just take an interesting turn tonight. A little bit of exhaustion might just be good for our Dreamer couple.

Guess we’ll find out about our Candy couple here pretty soon. ;)

Yeah, Michael just knows how to put the obvious out there, doesn’t he?

Aww, we miss Double Trouble too.

Natalie36: Max will be quite happy to help out.

begonia9508: Yup, looks like they’ve been left all alone out there. Hmm… we’ll see how that situation turns out.

killjoy: Lol, you’ve got a point.

mary mary: Well, leave it to Michael. ;)

Ah, the answers are coming, but you’re right… they’re gonna have a war on their hands when they get back down off of that mountain.

keepsmiling7: Thanks for reading!

Cardinal: It could happen… we’ll find out soon enough.

Yup, the three guys have a plan and they’re gonna make a go of it. Michael wants to be able to have more to offer Maria than what he had when he was in high school.

sarammlover: We’re glad you’re lovin’ Max and Liz here. Oh, we’re gonna get around to some Michael an’ Maria action. ;)

Part 28

Liz crawled into the tent first and waited for Max to follow her. “God, sitting and resting feels so good,” she muttered.

“Go on an’ get comfortable, Liz.”

“Alright.” She placed their sleeping bags on the ground, one on top of the other and then she slowly made her way out of her outer gear. She lay down on her stomach and sighed. “I’d prefer to pull off more clothes, but it’s freezing.”

“We’ll have ya warm in no time,” Max promised as he finally got his boots off. “Although this massage may break a speed record.”

“Speed record?”

“Fastest massage in the history of the massage,” he joked.

“I’m not gonna fall asleep,” she denied.

“Maybe not, but I know it’s cold and you’ll probably be much happier in the sleepin’ bag than you are on top of it.”

“We’ll see,” she mumbled.

He shrugged out of his coat and added it to the pile of clothes on the other side of the small tent. “Want me to use those hand warmers again?”

“Are ya hands cold?”

“Somebody’s tired,” he teased. “No, to use on your back like I did last time.”

“Uh-huh, I know what ya meant, but asked ya if ya hands are cold or not ‘cause if yes, then use them, if not, your hands on my back will be good.”

“Gotcha,” he said as he moved to straddle her hips. He started by working the muscles through several layers of material, letting his hands warm up as she started to relax.

“Mmm-hmm.” Liz made some sounds of pleasure that had him sweating. “Feels good.”

Max reached up to tug his collar away from his neck for a second, drawing in a deep breath before he slid his hands up under her clothes to settle on her back. His hands rubbed her flesh, adding pressure to work the tension out of her tired muscles.

Liz shivered when his hand touched her skin and the cold wasn’t the reason for it. She bit her bottom lip when his fingers traveled down her sides. Oh God, she thought, keep talking, Max, distract me.

Max was trying to keep his mind off of the fact that he had his hands on Liz Parker’s hot little body, but his brain wasn’t interested in cooperating. He cleared his throat. “So, um... you never did answer my question.”

Yes, Liz thought as he started to talk. “Neither did you... what did he say to you, Max?”

“Just kinda said he’s interested in her.”

“Uh-huh, interesting,” she said and smirked.

“So, I kinda told him he should go for it,” he said in a rush of words, wincing because he wasn’t sure if she was gonna yell at him for what he had said.

“Can’t get rid of Mark fast enough, huh?”

He snorted. “The guy’s a loser, Liz. She can do so much better.”

“Yeah, I kinda told her the same thing.”

He was relieved that she wasn’t mad because that just would’ve sucked ass for the rest of the night. “This guy kinda fits her, ya know? And I’d be perfectly happy to have Mark’s dumb ass outta my life.” His hands had stopped massaging and now he was just caressing her skin without even realizing it.

“Yeah, I know... Michael and her really fit together.” She noticed that his touches had become more like a caress and decided that she liked it.

“You ever given anymore thought to what we discussed a few nights ago? About havin’ someone in your life that you really connect with... somethin’ better than the occasional fling or one-night stand?”

Liz’s body tensed. “Uh, a little... yeah... Why?”

Max automatically added pressure to his touch when he felt her tense up. “Just wonderin’ if you’d thought about it.” He leaned back and placed his palms on his thighs, frustrated beyond words at his own lack of risk where she was concerned. Alright, ya know what... just put it out there and see what happens. “Liz...” he swallowed hard, “would you look at me for a minute?”

“Um...” she could feel her heartbeat rising to an uncomfortable rate, “sure.” He lifted himself up enough so she could turn over under him.

“There’s this um... this thing I’ve been meanin’ to talk to you about, but I’m not exactly sure how you’re gonna take it.”

She took a deep breath and looked into his eyes. “Just say it, Max.”

He took her hands and pulled her to a sitting position, releasing them to reach up and frame her face as he looked into her surprised eyes. He leaned in slowly, giving her plenty of time to pull away, and when she didn’t he covered her mouth with his, taking her lips in a slow, deep kiss.

Liz closed her eyes slowly when his lips touched hers. Her hand automatically came up around his neck.

Max angled his head to take the kiss deeper, groaning happily when her tongue tangled with his and she took control. His left arm wrapped around her waist and his right hand pressed flat against the ground behind her as he slowly lowered her back down to the sleeping bag.

She grabbed his collar to hold him where he was while her lower body pressed up against him when the need to feel him everywhere became too much.

He broke the kiss to meet her darkened gaze. It was impossible to ignore the way she was moving against him but he had to get himself under control for a moment. “Liz,” he panted, “God, I love you so much and I don’t wanna fuck up the chance to be with you, so if you’re not ready for this or you’re not sure, tell me now.”

She bit her bottom lip when she saw the way he was looking at her, his lips slightly swollen, his eyes dark and intense. “I’m just...” she swallowed, “I’m just a little scared about this,” she admitted.

Okay, scared he could deal with, he thought. She wasn’t rejecting him or the idea of them together. “Alright,” he whispered, shifting so that he was lying on his side next to her. His left hand was curled around her neck, his thumb stroking her jaw line in a repetitive, calming motion. “Talk to me, tell me what you’re scared of. It’s still me, Liz; the guy who’s been your best friend since we learned to walk and talk.” He pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. “The same guy who you’ve shared every secret and embarrassing thing that’s ever happened... the same guy who’s shared those same things with you.” He smiled slowly. “Chances are good that whatever you’re scared of, I’ve had the same fears about you.”

She snuggled closer to him. “It’s just... I’m wondering what will happen if this doesn’t work out, Max.”

“Okay, leave it to you to pick out the worst case scenario first,” he teased. “No, this thing doesn’t come with any guarantee that it’ll work out... and I don’t know what’ll happen if it doesn’t. Would we still be friends, would we hate each other? I don’t know the answers to those questions. The only thing I can promise you is that I love you and there is nothin’ on this Earth I want more than the chance to love you and make you happy.”

She nodded and smiled a little. “Well, now that you’ve kissed me... it’s too late anyway.” She let her hand wander over his jaw. “I know this, you know, a few minutes ago, wasn’t starting slow, but... let’s take it slow, okay? Please?”

“Whatever you want, Liz. How about if we strip down to our underwear and get in this sleeping bag and actually sleep warm tonight?” He grinned and shook his head when she raised one eyebrow. “No funny stuff, promise. We’ll take things as slow as you want.”

She nodded. “Sounds good to me.”

He started to finish getting undressed, but paused to look at her. “Liz... is it okay that I kissed you?”

She nodded slightly and squeezed his hand.

He chuckled. “Okay.” He hurried to pull his clothes off until he was down to his boxers and he got into the sleeping bag. His gaze followed Liz as she started taking her clothes off and he smiled when she looked at him. “Is it okay for me to watch? Or would you be more comfortable if I look the other way since this is different than any other time you’ve gotten undressed in front of me?”

She shook her head, “I’m still your best friend too. Ya don’t need to turn away.”

“I’m not lookin’ at you like my best friend right now, honey,” he rasped.

She got out of her clothes and then crawled into his sleeping bag, snuggling close to him. “Maria was right, you are a good kisser.”

“Maria’s a great friend and ya know I love ‘er, but that was not the kiss I wanted.”

“Uh-huh, ya better not kiss her again.”

“No? Did it make ya jealous?”

“Just speaking in Michael’s interest here,” she denied smirking.

“Uh-huh, well, I’m pretty dedicated to the whole one guy/one girl thing, so I’d appreciate it if you’d avoid kissin’ anyone else from now on too.”

“Not even Maria?” she teased.

“Hmm... no, not even.”

Michael watched Maria as she came back over to sit next to him after everyone had retired for the night. He wondered what the conversation between the two girls had been about and if it was conceited to think maybe it was about him. “So, how long’re you stickin’ around after we get back down?” he asked finally.

Maria took the cup with her tea back and wrapped both hands around it. Her fingers were still hurting, but he had been right, the warmth helped a lot. “Not too long, I think. We haven’t set a real date yet, since the cabin was free for two weeks, but,” she swallowed, “my parents will be at a cabin near the lodge and they expect me to come over.”

He nodded. Mark had helpfully mentioned that joyous little fact. “Guess your parents probably love the boyfriend, huh?”

She sighed. “Yeah, they do.”

He stared at his hands. “Does he make you happy?”

Maria thought about it. Was she really happy with Mark? He couldn’t stand her friends and he didn’t really have a great sense of humor, so happy probably wasn’t the right word for it. But, it wasn’t like he was always that bad. “Sometimes,” she mumbled.

“And you really see you an’ him together in the future?” He made a face.

“Well, if you mean the next couple of days... yes. If you mean anything beyond the next week or so... probably not.”

“Then why’re you with that loser? Damn, Maria, the guy’s a sleepin’ pill on legs.”

She shrugged. “I’ve tried to date other guys. It didn’t work.”

“And he’s what you’ve settled for? You are so much better than that.”

Yeah, everyone kept telling her that. “Maybe.”

“No maybe about it.” He got up to make another cup of coffee. “You want one?”

“No, thanks. Still have my tea here.”

He wrinkled his nose at that. “So, tell me ‘bout California.”

“Whatcha wanna know about it? As ya already know, I live with Max and Liz, it’s warm, it’s sunny...”

“And I live alone, it’s cold, and gray or sunny, depending on the weather... do you like it?”

“It’s okay. Max, Liz, Tess and Kyle are cool. We have a lot of fun together.”

He sighed as he finished making his coffee. He sucked at small talk and it was even worse when it was with Maria. He rested his elbow on his thigh and lowered his head, his right thumb rubbing his eyebrow as he cast about for something to talk to her about.

“So you’re planning your own business with Nick and Tony?” Maria hated the silence between them, so maybe talking about him was good.

“Yeah, every spare penny’s goin’ towards it.” He got up and moved back over to sit next to her. “I’m livin’ in an apartment right now, but there’s this cabin on the outskirts of the National Park; it used to be a vacation rental but the owners are older and it’s in a more remote location than a lot of tourists are lookin’ for. When I’m not workin’ up here, I’m workin' on restoring it. They offered to let me buy it when the time’s right.” He shrugged his shoulders and took a sip of coffee. “It’s just a two bedroom, but it’d be a good start and it’d be close enough to where we’ve been lookin’ at startin’ our outfit.”

“Will ya offer these trips here on the mountain or something else?”

“We’ll be able to offer the mountain climbing excursions, rafting trips, guided trips through the park, and Nick wants to get into leadin’ horseback riding day trips.”

“Sounds like fun,” she admitted.

“It will be once we get up and runnin’. The first couple of years will be rough, but... at least I’ve finally got a plan. Got a direction to take my life.” A direction that might actually make me worth your time, he thought.

She smiled. “That’s good.” Maria glanced at him slowly. “I’m really proud of you, Michael.”

He cleared his throat. He still wasn’t comfortable with praise, even when it was coming from her. “Well, it’s... y’know, it’s gonna take time before we’re in a position to really turn a profit, but, it’s somethin’ that I know I’ll enjoy.”

“I know...” she stared into the fire, “this’s right for you.”

He bit his bottom lip. “Could be right for us,” he said quietly.

Her heart rate increased at his confession. “Maybe...”

“I can’t...” He ran his hand through his hair. “I can’t change the past, Maria, but the future hasn’t been written yet.”

“Have you...” she swallowed, “have you had anyone in your life during the last couple years?”

“I wish I could tell you that there hadn’t been anybody... that there WASN’T anybody, but...”

Maria couldn’t deny the feeling of disappointment, but she knew she had no right to be mad. She had been in several relationships or flings during the last couple of years to forget him. “No,” she said and was about to reach for his hand, but stopped again and pulled back, “I mean, it’s okay. I didn’t expect you to be alone all the time.”

He shook his head. “Bein’ with someone doesn’t mean you’re not alone,” he murmured.

“I know.”

“I should probably tell you that I’ve kinda had the occasional hook-up with that girl who called up on the radio the other night...” he winced. “It’s nothin’ serious, but we’ve kinda been hookin’ up for a couple months now.”

She nodded and bit her lip. “Does she think it’s more than that?”

“Probably.” He snorted. “We don’t spend time together ‘cause she’s the brightest crayon in the box.”

“You gonna tell her the truth?”

“I’ve told her it wasn’t goin’ anywhere more than once, but you give me the word and I’ll tell her in no uncertain terms that she can get lost.”

She sighed. “I wish it could be that easy, Michael.”

“Why can’t it be that easy?” he asked.

“Because it’s not. Not for me at least.”

“What would it take?” He glanced at her. “Just... just tell me what it would take, hypothetically.”

She shrugged. “I don’t know...” She leaned forward at let her head rest in her hands. “I really don’t know, Michael.”

He chuckled, the sound strangled. “Not really givin’ me a lot to work with, Maria.”

She glanced at him seriously. “You didn’t leave me with much when you left.”

His expression sobered. “I’m sorry I hurt you. I would’ve rather cut off my right arm than ever do that, but... I wasn’t prepared to ask you to choose me over your parents.” He shook his head when she started to speak. “I know you would’ve picked me... I never doubted that, but, I just couldn’t watch you let your dreams go for me.”

She snorted and shook her head when she leaned back on her stool again, feeling every muscle in her body aching and demanding sleep.

“Look, we’re not gonna solve this tonight, so why don’t you let me give ya a hand with those achin’ muscles,” he offered.

She glanced at him intently. “Ya know it wouldn’t end with that if I let you.”

“Do you want it to?” he countered softly.
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Mountains So High (CC, AU, Adult) - Part 28 - 8/1/10

Post by Double Trouble »

mary mary: Progress is good… let’s see about a bit more now.

Earth2Mother: FINALLY!! Lol.

More progress, huh? Hmm, what could you mean???

Let’s see if Michael takes your advice…

Natalie36: Glad ya liked that. Thanks for reading!

killjoy: That seems to be the general consensus, lol.

Eva: It was a major step for them and you’re right, now they can concentrate on the smaller steps because they’ve made it over that big hurdle.

Lol, you’re so right about Michael and Maria. We’ll see how long they can control their impulsive natures though.

keepsmiling7: Well, seriously, we all knew they’d have to give in sooner or later… right? Taking the chance on moving a friendship into relationship territory is always risky, but they’ve decided to go for it.

Cardinal: Yes, it happened, lol. Finally. We’re thinkin’ Liz was fine with silent… at least we weren’t hearin’ any complaints out of her.

Very true and looking into the future and seeing the possibilities is a good thing. Although, Maria is right to be a little wary. She doesn’t want to see their past repeat itself.

sarammlover: We’ll find out about the next day… just not today, lol. Nope, our Candy couple never make things easy and this time won’t be any different.

begonia9508: Thanks!

So true, and Liz doesn’t want to lose him as a best friend.

True, and a horrible experience too. Don’t think him and Maria would have that problem though.

Maiqu: Well, look who’s back! If you’re gonna go on vacation, you should definitely do it right and it sounds like you did! We’ll be getting back to Max and Liz soon.

rosyrosy2882: Welcome back! Guess it’s good you’re not up on that mountain with them then, huh? :)

Things should be interesting to say the least when Mork’s parents arrive and the others get back down the mountain. Will Michael and Maria be a thing? We’ll see. Yes, lots of drama to come.

Yeah, we’re pretty sure Maria will want to handle telling Mork on her own. It would be ugly for someone else to let him in on the secret.

Lol, don’t we all wish that?

Looks like you got back from vacation just in time, lol.

Nope, he’s not in any position to leave her and he doesn’t want to. Um, he wants us to clarify that he didn’t want to leave her two years ago… he’s very insistent about making sure we tell everyone that. Mork should make things interesting.

We’ll see about that massage now…

kismet: Not ever? Really? We’re glad we made ya happy, but while you’re right and it is human nature to always want more… you must now be patient again, lol. However, we do have a M&M moment. :)

A/N: We posted one day early because vacation time is coming up for us and we’ll be taking two weeks off from updating. We’ll be back on August 29th. Don’t be too mad at us, we’ll be using at least some of that time off for writing! ;)

Part 29

She almost smirked. Of course he would ask that. “Do you want me?” she teased back.

She was seriously asking that? It was freezing and he had a hard-on that wouldn’t quit. He studied her for a minute and then shrugged. She wasn’t giving him anything to work with as far as their future and that was making him hesitate. “I wouldn’t say no.”

“I know you wouldn’t,” she said. She looked up at him. “It’s not that I don’t want to, Michael.”

“But...?”

“But if this doesn’t work out...” she swallowed.

“How’re we gonna know if it’s gonna work out if we don’t take the chance?”

“Well, I’m pretty sure sex isn’t the answer to this, Michael.”

“Not the whole answer maybe,” he hedged.

“What about my parents, Michael?”

“Well, I don’t think they’re part of the answer at all.” He rolled his eyes. “I know what you meant, Maria. I don’t have the answer to that question, but if you’ve got a suggestion, I’m all ears.”

“I doubt they’re gonna have a different opinion of you now, Michael. To be honest, I’m pretty sure they’d totally freak out if I told them we were back together.”

“Look, does the thought of facin’ your parents again make me nervous? Yeah, no way around that. I’m a little more secure now that I’ve got a solid plan and I know where I’m goin’ and how I’m gonna get there, but it’s still not gonna be good enough for them. There’s good colleges here and I know there’re opportunities for someone with a degree in your field, but I don’t know what the answer would be if your parents carried out their threat. I don’t know anything about scholarships or financial aid, so I don’t know if and how it would be applicable to you. I’m carryin’ myself financially and I wouldn’t have any concerns about us together as far as money is concerned, but I know I don’t make enough to save for my part of our start-up costs for the outfit and cover college tuition... not that you’d let me do that anyway, but I’d want to help out at least.”

Maria placed her empty cup aside and turned to face him. “Tell me that you would stay this time, Michael. Tell me that no matter what my parents would say or do you wouldn’t run away again.”

He swallowed hard. “I don’t care what they say or do to me, Maria...”

She could already here the ‘but’ at the end of that sentence.

“But what happens when they pull your money for college?”

“I don’t know, Michael. I’d have to find another way to afford it or... quit until I had saved up some money from working.”

“You don’t know how bad I wanna tell you that I won’t run again... actually, it’d be kinda hard for me to run since I’m workin’ on a career and I’ve got two other guys countin’ on me, but, I don’t ever want you to look at me several years down the road and realize that you regret choosin’ me over your parents.”

“I’m not choosing you over my parents. I would choose you and my parents, but if they don’t want to have anything to do with me because I decided to stay with the man I love, then that’s their fault and not yours.”

Michael turned to look at her and suddenly realized that maybe he had been looking at it from the wrong angle all along. He had been so sure it was an either/or situation. The man I love. The words hit him like a ton of bricks as he realized that she hadn’t referred to him in the past tense, but rather in the present. “I don’t know... I don’t know what to say to that.”

Maria sighed sadly. She had hoped he would say that he loved her too and that he was taking that risk together with her. “I... I think I should probably go to bed.”

He reached up and grabbed her hand before she could walk away. “No, Maria, wait.” Damn, he had so many thoughts running around in his head. He tugged her closer so she was standing between his knees. “It hurt like hell to walk away from you... but walkin’ away and lettin’ you think I didn’t love you may have been the biggest mistake I made that day.” He raised his head to look into her eyes and his heart started to slam in his chest. “It killed me not to say it to you because I loved you so much.” He smiled nervously. “I still love you.”

Maria swallowed and felt incredibly dizzy all of the sudden. She took a deep breath and lowered herself sit in his lap, wrapping her arms around him. “God, if someone had told me before that I’d see you again up here, I’d have brought some strong sedatives or something.”

“I think Mark qualifies as a sedative.”

She slapped the back of his head. “We’re not talking about him and he’s not here.”

He smirked. “You’re the one who brought up sedatives.”

“Uh-huh, it would be easy enough to slap you again, Michael Guerin, but my hands still hurt so shut up.”

“No slappin’ the guy who’s willin’ to let you warm your cold feet on him.”

“I don’t have cold feet,” she denied. “Just cold hands.”

“Um-hmm.” His eyes traced over her lips before forcing his gaze back up to her eyes. “Maybe we should think about warmin’ ‘em up.”

“Yeah,” she tugged his collar away from his neck and slipped one hand inside, giggling when he inhaled sharply at the feel of her cold hand touching his warm skin.

“Not exactly what I meant,” he hissed. She might as well have dropped a block of ice down the front of his shirt.

“No?” When her hand had warmed up a little, she started to caress his skin under the layers of clothes while her other hand played with the zipper on his jacket.

“You wanna get naked an’ play we can do that, but not out here. I’m not a member of the Polar Bear Club.”

She silenced him when she pressed her index finger against his lips and her eyes followed the movement of her hand. She lowered her head and nudged his nose with hers playfully, letting her finger slip away from his lips.

“Don’t tease me, Maria,” he whispered.

“Why not?” she breathed, placing a feather-light kiss on the corner of his mouth.

“Because you start playin’ with me and I’m gonna think you wanna take this someplace there’s no goin’ back from.”

Her hand came up again to caress his cheek. “I just wanna enjoy this moment, Michael.” Who knew how long it would last.

“Can we enjoy it in the tent at least?”

She thought about it for a moment. “What about the others?”

“You wanna get in one of their tents?” he asked, deliberately misunderstanding.

She rolled her eyes at him. “Sometimes you’re so annoying.”

“And yet you still love me... life’s just full of mysteries.”

“I love your other qualities,” she countered.

He leaned in to nip her bottom lip. “Let’s get out of the wind.”

“You didn’t answer my question, Guerin.”

“You had a question?” He frowned. “Oh, what about the others? What about ‘em?”

“Wouldn’t it be a little obvious when ya crawl out of my tent tomorrow morning?”

“Do you care?”

She shrugged. “I don’t know. It’s probably because of Mark, ya know? I never cheated on anyone and doin’ this officially feels even more wrong.”

Michael nodded in understanding. As much as he wanted to touch her and feel her against him he didn’t want her to regret it the next morning. “So, when we get back down off of this mountain, we’ll make sure that we set things straight with Mark and Courtney.”

“Yeah,” she agreed. “And then I’m gonna face my parents.” She made a face.

Michael took a deep breath and looked up at her. “No, then we’ll face your parents. If we’re gonna make this work we need to put all of our cards on the table.”

She nodded, relieved by what he had just said. “Just.... let me talk to them alone first, okay? You know my father enjoys hunting, right? He probably has his entire gun collection with him and I would hate it if he accidently shot you,” she tried to joke a little, but got serious again. “Besides that, Mark’s parents will be there too, and I can tell you they won’t be happy either.”

Michael swallowed hard and tugged on his collar. That just brought up a really bad image of the man having him stuffed and hung on his wall as a trophy. He shook his head to clear it. “I’m takin’ some time off when we get back. The guys’ll understand.”

“Sounds good. There’s a chance that my parents will kick me out of their cabin, so remember to show me where you live when we get back.”

“I hope that doesn’t happen. I’d rather you spend time at my place because you wanna be there and not because you have nowhere else to go.” He chuckled. “I’ll make sure you know where I’m at.”

She leaned against him and tried to imagine how it would be to tell her parents she was back with Michael and starting a new life with him. “Would we live together?”

“Depends on what you want.”

She nodded. “Are you nervous about that? I mean, we haven’t seen each other in a while, what if we’ve changed and we’re just too blind to see it right now?”

“You still love me?”

She looked at him intensely for several long moments. “I do.”

“Then we’ll work it out. If you wanna get your own place while we ease into the changes, we’ll find a way to do that.”

She smiled and hugged him tightly, letting her chin rest on his shoulder. “The real reason why I started dating Mark was that I couldn’t find someone like you again... so I decided to go for the complete opposite. A guy who wouldn’t remind me of you in any way. That’s so stupid, isn’t it?”

“Well, the same could be said for Courtney... she’s nothin’ like you.”

“At least she’s pretty and blonde.”

“She’s not you.” He shrugged. “Anything less than you is just settling.”

She stayed in his arms and glanced out into the cold night, wondering if their plans would work out or not. “Ya know, maybe I should totally shock my parents. Tell them that I’m pregnant and that we wanna get married.” She chuckled. “They would probably have a heart attack and then I could tell them that I was just kidding and that we just want to be together... maybe they’d be a little less angry then.” She snorted. “I’m crazy, I know, just deal with it. Too many thoughts in my head.”

“I’d be runnin’ for my life after you told your father that, but it’d almost be worth it just for the look on his face.”

She laughed. “Yeah, totally. If he didn’t die from the shock.”

“At least I’d have the advantage... I’m younger and I know the area out here.”

“He’s such a mean man sometimes.”

Michael completely agreed with that statement. “He’s just doin’ what he thinks is best for you.”

Maria shook her head. “You don’t have to defend them, Michael.”

“I’m not... well, not really. I have no doubt that they believe you could do better than me.”

She leaned back and took his cheek in her hands. “Hell, Michael, when will you finally stop thinkin’ you’re not good enough for me?”

He sighed. He wanted to believe he was good enough for her but it was hard to ignore so many years of being conditioned to believe that he was worthless. He knew he was getting closer; working towards a common goal with the guys, financially securing his future, and now getting a second chance with Maria. It was coming together, it was just moving slowly. “I’m getting there, Maria.” He had a feeling that standing up to her parents might be what he needed to accept that he was good enough for her.

She nodded. “Don’t doubt that, especially not when my parents start yellin’ at us.”

“You’ve made me look at it a little differently than I did a couple years ago... I think I’ll hold up okay.”

“Okay,” she whispered. “Don’t forget that.”

“Just hold onto me and don’t let me go, Maria. Sometimes old habits are hard to break.”

She slowly released him again and let her hands sink to her lap. “I know, just try not to push me away, okay?” She didn’t wait for an answer and got up, yawning loudly. “I think I really need some sleep.”

Michael was fighting the urge to get up and follow her, but he knew she was right. They would never stop if they ended up in the same tent and he wanted things to start out right for them.

“Sooo,” she said and looked at him. “Good night, Michael.” Her heart was screaming at her to take him with her to the tent, but she refused to listen and tried to ignore it.

“Go to bed, Maria,” he said, a smile in his voice. “If we’re gonna do this the right way you need to behave... and tempting a guy in my state is not the way to do that.”

She smirked. “Okay, I’m goin’,” she started to walk away from him.

He got up and quickly caught up with her, catching her hand and stopping her before she could reach her tent. “Maria?”

She stopped and turned around slowly.

“Any chance I could get a goodnight kiss?”

She pretended to think about it. “I guess that’d be okay.”

He tugged her closer but refrained from holding her against him. There was no reason to make it more difficult than it already was. His hands cupped her neck as he lowered his mouth to hers.

“Michael,” she breathed against his lips and grabbed his collar to pull him closer.

He briefly smiled before his tongue snaked out to tease her lips, asking permission and receiving it immediately. He sighed happily as she shifted closer and moaned quietly.

Maria pressed her body against him, her hands still clinging to his collar. His kiss felt incredible and her knees were going weak.

“Not makin’ this easy,” he mumbled as he pulled back for a moment to catch his breath. “S’okay... you’ve been killin’ me since the first night.” He chuckled as he leaned in to kiss her again, slowly exploring her mouth and greedily taking in every sound she made.

His arms came around her when he felt her clinging to his shoulders and he held her tighter. The kiss could’ve gone on for hours but the wind chose that moment to pick up, blowing long enough to catch their attention. “You’d better get to bed before we let this get the best of us and we forget all about our good intentions,” he warned softly.

She leaned her forehead against his and tried to catch her breath again. “Okay, I’ll go. You came after me, remember?”

“Couldn’t let you go to bed without a g’night kiss,” he rasped, stealing one more quick kiss.

“What about tomorrow?” she asked, smirking. “You have to find a way to give me a good morning kiss too.”

He smirked. “I’ll find a way.”

She nodded and started to release him. “Good night, baby.”

Michael watched her go and as soon as she had disappeared inside her tent and zipped it up behind her he moved to get the camp ready for the night out and completed his evening routine before heading for his own tent and calling it a night.
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Mountains So High (CC, AU, Adult) - Part 30 - 8/29/10

Post by Double Trouble »

mary mary: Ah, well, ya know… real life rarely goes so smoothly, lol. And well… ya know we’re not gonna make it all that easy. ;) Maria’s father… let’s just say he’ll be interesting.

Thanks! We did and now we’re ready to get rollin’ again!

begonia9508: We’ll get to see Maria’s father’s reaction to this new development.

Thanks!

Earth2Mother: Lol, now ya can’t wait to get them off of the mountain, huh? You’re gonna have to wait for a bit.

Eva: It was long overdue!

sarammlover: Very cool! Now let’s see how long we can keep that going, lol. Thanks!

killjoy: Well, yes, it will. But for now, things are all good.

rosyrosy2882: Cool, lol. When it comes time for them to face the people waiting for them at the base of the mountain… well, it’s not gonna be easy. Maria’s dad… we’ll see what you think of him when we introduce him. :) Maria and Michael need each other, and at least they do have a solid support system behind them.

Lol, never a wrong moment for a Lion King reference, lol.

Thanks! We did… and still managed to get a lot of writing done!

kismet: Um… we’re sorry? Oh, we know… we’re back with another update!

Lol, M&L will get there. Small steps for them too.

Oh, ya know we’ve gotta have the obstacles! :) But, you’re right… it’ll be worth it when they get to the end.

And… we’re hoping you’ve managed to survive to catch the new part. ;)

Alien_Friend: We’ll see if Liz got around to that particular conversation or not.

Pursuing those dreams is important and they’re doing their best to find a way to make it work.

No question these guys know how to make their girls feel happy, loved, and cared for, huh?

That realization will come for Michael. Taking things slow and starting off on the right foot is a wise decision. We’ll see what happens with Mark and Courtney soon enough.

Vacation was great and we had time to get quite a bit of writing done too! Thanks!

Clari: Updating…

Maiqu: Vacation was great, thanks!

Yup, we love ‘em too!

A/N: We’re back! Updates are on schedule – every Sunday again. And good news for the new fic as well. Writing is going pretty good so we’ll be able to post soon!

Part 30

Maria unzipped her tent and poked her head out the next morning only to hear “Shhh!” from several people. She frowned at Kyle and Tess and reached up to rub her eyes before turning to follow their pointing fingers.

“What’s goin’ on?” she whispered, watching as Tony moved backwards, stopping every few feet to drop... she squinted... bits of a granola bar? He turned his head and nodded at Nick and her eyes widened when he unzipped the entrance to Michael’s tent.

Tony leaned inside and placed a few more of the crumbles before backing away and high-fiving Nick as they both hurried back to the other side of camp.

“What’re you guys doin’?” she whispered.

“Just playin’ a prank on Guerin,” Nick said as he grabbed his digital video recorder and scampered over to the other side where he stretched out on his stomach and aimed it at the opening on Michael’s tent.

“Remember those little pika’s we told y’all about?”

Max had just stuck his head out of the tent when he heard the work PIKA, but before he could find out if there was one nearby Liz shoved him the rest of the way out and stepped on him in her zombie state as she went in search of coffee.

“And those pika’s are around?” Maria got to her feet as well and walked over to her best friend without leaving the view of the entrance to Michael’s tent.

Nick grinned at them. “They’re not usually this high up, but we saw one a while ago... looked like a hungry little fella.”

Maria shook her head, but grinned before she turned to Liz. “God, girl, ya looked in a mirror today?”

Liz brushed her unruly hair back and shot the finger at her friend as she quickly downed her first cup of morning coffee.

“I love you too, Lizzie.”

Liz mumbled something that most likely wouldn’t have been pleasant and filled a second cup before refilling her own. She stumbled back over to her tent and handed one to Max before disappearing back inside.

Maria took a seat on one of the camp stools and relaxed, stretching her legs away from her.

Tony motioned for everyone to be quiet as a little furry head appeared near one of the snowy outcroppings of rocks. The creature slowly followed the granola trail, pausing occasionally to rise up on its hind legs and peer around at them.

Max took several steps back when the furry little creature made it further into the camp.

Feeling slightly more awake, Liz crept out of the tent and bit back a laugh when Max looked like he was ready to bolt. It really wasn’t his fault, she mused. In the third grade Bobby Hanson had taken an immediate dislike to Max because the teacher had favored him and the vindictive little snot had trapped him in a little closet in the classroom after releasing a dozen white rats in the tiny room.

Poor Max had been scared of rodents ever since. She tugged on his hand and motioned for him to sit down and then sat in his lap, hooking her left arm around his shoulders and watching the show. “It’s all in fun,” she whispered. “These guys probably do this kinda stuff to each other all the time.”

Maria watched the couple a few seconds. Something seemed different about them this morning. Her gaze dropped back to the little pika when it approached Michael’s tent.

Nick grinned when the pika munched on a bit of granola and studied its surroundings. It sat up on its hind legs and reached out, tiny clawed paw touching the tent as it leaned forward to sniff the zipper. The whiskers twitched as it caught the scent of more food and it dropped back down to all fours before creeping inside.

“Oh my,” Maria muttered, amused as she waited for the curses that were sure to come out of the tent in no time.”

Michael frowned when he felt a cold breeze blow through his tent and in his mostly-asleep state he couldn’t rationalize the feeling. He rubbed the side of his face against his bag when something tickled his cheek and his mind became a little more alert as he wondered if Maria hadn’t been able to wait for him to get up and come outside. It would explain the cold air. He was smiling as he opened his eyes and he immediately froze when he realized he was nose to nose with... his eyes had automatically crossed as he tried to focus on the thing and he blinked several times to bring his eyes into focus. His eyes widened when the creature suddenly came into focus and he jerked back when it moved towards him.

The movement startled the pika and it responded by emitting the high-pitched whistling sound and running around the tent like some sort of possessed rodent. Michael cursed at it and struggled to get out of his sleeping bag, which only upset the creature more. He finally got one hand free and tried to swat the pika out of the tent, but only succeeded in causing it to increase the pitch and volume of the horrific ear-splitting sound.

He finally got to his knees and tried to do a cross between hopping and crawling in an attempt to get free of the tent and the pika. He made it to his feet and near the entrance and then jumped to avoid stepping on the frantic pika, throwing him off-balance and he crashed through the opening and into the snow.

The others burst into laughter at the scene unfolding before them, holding their stomachs and sinking to the ground as they gasped for air.

Michael looked around, trying to get his bearings as he fought with the sleeping bag and finally shook free of it. He rubbed his hand over his face and then ran a hand through his hair as he glared at the culprits. “You guys are gonna get it,” he warned.

Tony only laughed harder and pointed at his good friend. “That’d be a lot more threatening if you weren’t standin’ there in your smiley-face boxers.”

Michael looked down and winced at the bright yellow boxers with the stupid happy face right over his crotch. Damn it! The stupid things had come with his last purchase and he had completely forgotten that he had packed them. Who really paid any attention to what boxers he was pulling on in the dark?

“Sexy,” Maria called, winking at him.

He shook his head. He couldn’t even pretend to be mad when she was sitting there looking at him like that.

“Damn man, those are really ugly,” Max said.

Michael ignored him. “Nick, I’d appreciate it if you’d get your little friend outta my tent before it destroys somethin’.”

“It’s your tent, man.”

“And it’s your critter... get it outta my tent so I can put some clothes on. Preferably before I start singin’ soprano.”

“Fine,” Nick grumbled, but before he reached the tent the pika came out on its own and stormed away… right in Max’s direction.

Max yelped when the demon spawn ran towards them and he just barely held onto Liz when he jerked to his feet and stumbled backwards. The pika reacted to the sound and turned to run... right into Max and Liz’ tent.

“Max, look what ya did. You made it run into our tent,” Liz complained.

“Me?” he huffed. “I didn’t make it do that!” He pointed accusingly at Nick. “It’s his fault!”

“I’ll get it out,” Nick said and went towards the tent. He crouched down in front of it just as it came out again, surprising him. He hadn’t counted on that and he stumbled backwards and landed on his ass.

Tony laughed so hard he fell over on his back in the snow. “That was priceless!” he howled.

Liz threw her sleeping bag in her tent and winced when she realized that Max had just been about to get out of it. “Sorry,” she smirked, “didn’t mean to hit ya with that.”

“Uh-huh,” he took her hand and pulled her down to him.

She crouched down in front of him. “Hey, what’re ya doin’?”

He smiled and tugged her closer, stealing a quick kiss from her lips. They had agreed in the morning to not share their news with anyone until they both had time to get used to the fact that they were suddenly more than just best friends. “Don’t worry, nobody saw it,” he whispered.

Liz smiled and brushed her fingertips over his goatee. She wanted to say she didn’t care, and part of her really didn’t, but this was new to her and she wasn’t ready to share it with everyone else just yet. “I can’t believe I’ve known you my whole life and I’ve never SEEN you.”

“Yeah, I can’t believe that either. I’m so damn hot,” he joked.

She snorted and shoved him back into the tent. “Easy, boy.” She grinned at him and shook her head. “Do you have more chocolate?”

“If you keep eatin’ so much every day we’re gonna run out of it soon,” he said.

“Whatever. I know you packed extra.” She rolled her eyes at him. “You always pack extra... for me,” she pouted.

He tried to stay serious, but the corners of his mouth trembled when he saw her face and he laughed. “Okay, fine, we’ve still got enough of it. Gimme our packs an’ I’ll set everything for the night and bring some chocolate with me when I join you at the fire.”

“You’re the best, Max.” She leaned in for a quick kiss and then scrambled to gather their packs.

Maria sat in her tent and searched around her pack for another pullover she could wear. It was freezing cold again and she hoped that another layer of clothes would help to keep her a little warmer. “Fuck,” she hissed when she pinched her finger in the camp stool while getting it out of the pack.

“Those work a lot better if you don’t stick your fingers in ‘em,” a warm voice offered and Michael grinned when she looked up and noticed him sitting in the entry.

“Uh-huh, thanks for that glorious bit of advice,” she mumbled and pulled her hurting finger against her body.

“Here, lemme see it,” he said as he ducked inside and sat down across from her. Everyone was busy putting their tents up and getting settled for the night before getting their evening meals ready.

“There’s nothing to see,” she said but held her hand out for him.

He could see where she had pinched her finger, but it wasn’t going to leave a mark or hurt for long. He lifted her hand and pressed his lips to the tiny injury.

“You didn’t give me the good morning kiss ya promised,” she said quietly. She had wondered all day if their conversation the night before had really meant something – if they would really go for what they had talked about.

“I was standin’ outside in the snow in a pair of happy face boxers, Maria...” He made a face and released her hand to hook his thumb over his shoulder. “They’re all busy right now... would ya settle for an early evenin’ kiss?”

She placed her pack aside and crawled over to him on all fours in a sexy, cheeky way. “We really need to get ya some decent boxers, baby.”

“Didn’t care for those, huh?” he muttered, watching her as she crawled up to him.

She shook her head. “No.”

“Just for the record, I didn’t buy them on purpose.”

“Uh-huh. I remember the black ones you used to wear. Much better.”

“I’m surprised you remember that since I never wore ‘em very long when you were around,” he smirked.

She stopped in front of him and sat down, bracing her upper body with her hands on his thighs. “Remember anything about my underwear?”

“Nothin’ wrong with my memory, Maria,” he whispered roughly.

“Ya know the downside of this trip is that we have to wear so much. I’ll bet you look even better than you did before you left.”

“Did you not notice the nearly naked display this mornin’?” he asked.

“Couldn’t really enjoy it though. You were standing too far away and Nick kept getting in my view.”

“Oh, well, that would ruin the view. I’d offer to strip down right now and the cold be damned, but I know we’re tryin’ to do this the right way.”

“Hey, Guerin, where are you? I need the radio set,” Tony called from somewhere outside.

“Damn it,” he growled as he fumbled with the zipper on his coat and pulled out a couple of bandaids and grabbed her hand. With his free hand he reached over to tug the zipper down and he yelled at Tony. “Hey, it’s in my tent.”

Tony crouched down in front of Maria’s tent and glanced inside with a knowing smirk.

“Hurt my finger,” she declared, feeling totally stupid because she knew he wasn’t buying it.

“Uh-huh,” he drawled, shooting a speculative glance at his friend.

“Hey, I thought you were lookin’ for the radio,” Michael reminded him.

Maria rolled her eyes. Way to be subtle, Michael, she thought. She waited until Tony walked away again. “That was totally obvious.”

“Maria, Tony knows... he’s not gonna run out and make an announcement to the world.”

“Sorry,” she muttered, “didn’t mean it that way.”

“No, baby, I know that.” He held up the bandaids in his right hand. “My dumbass jumped, too.” He smiled and moved into her space so he could give her a little kiss. “I’ll be glad when we can be more open about this.”

She leaned against him. “Think we can stay up a little longer after the others have gone to bed again?”

“Yeah, of course.”

“Okay, you’d better go now.”

“Alright. You can make dinner tonight,” he said as he backed out of the tent.

“Huh? No fair,” she told him and started to pull some clothes off to pull on the pullover she had been lookin for.

“Sendin’ me out into the cold while you’re takin’ clothes off isn’t fair,” he complained.

“I’m just taking something off to put on even more.”

“Can’t blame a guy for tryin’.” He winked at her and straightened up to go and make sure everyone was ready for the night ahead.