Mountains So High (CC, AU, Adult) - Pt 63 COMPLETE - 5/22/11

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 61

Post by Double Trouble »

Earth2Mama: LOL, at 60, huh? With those two you are probably right! Lol

Not trusting Carson is probably normal after what he did…

Unless? Is it fun to let them taken out??? You gotta explain this girl! lol

begonia9508: Men… what should we say? Lol

mary mary: Lol still hard to trust Carson, huh?

keepsmiling7: Don’t worry! She will!

Alien_Friend: Lol, if someone deserves a price for a nice character twist in this fic, then Carson huh?

Thanks!

Yeah M&L had luck!

sarammlover: Thanks! Yeah, Carson really made a 180 turn huh?

Rodney: So you were planning this things before turning ten? :p

Lol, good that men leave the planning to the woman, else it would be a disaster.

Part 61

At the small neighbourhood pub the guys settled at a table and ordered a round of drinks before Tony realized the time and excused himself to make a call. He made a face when Michael muttered something about him, Vanessa and a leash, but he left without a comment. He had no idea what to talk to Maria’s dad about and he sucked at making small talk. He accepted his drink from the waitress when she returned and he took a long swallow, putting off the inevitable.

“You’re sure about getting married?”

Michael shook his head. “That’s the one thing I’m absolutely sure of.”

Carson had no doubt that it was the truth. “How long before you two move into the cabin?”

“After the first of the year. I’m hoping for early spring. I’ve still got quite a bit of work to do on it, but even with work Maria I should be able to get it finished and ready by then.” He smiled as he stared at the bottle he was slowly turning between his fingers. “It might go even faster since Maria wants to give me a hand.” He shrugged one shoulder as he thought about his favourite distraction. “Probably not though.”

“You could let a company help you with it,” Carson suggested, already knowing that the boy would never allow a stranger to work on it.

Michael shook his head. “Huh-uh, I’d rather do it myself. Let someone else do it and it might not get done the way I want it done. Besides,” he said, unaware of the soft smile that settled on his face, “I don’t want someone else workin’ on the home I’ll be sharin’ with Maria.”

“I can understand that,” Carson nodded. “But I expect you two to call us if something doesn’t go the way it’s planned,” he told him directly.

“Lemme ask you somethin’, Mr. DeLuca,” Michael said as he shifted in his seat. “Would you have run to your wife’s father if things didn’t go according to plan?” He shook his head. “You probably can’t even really answer that ‘cause you’ve never known what it’s like to struggle financially. I doubt things will follow the plan exactly. They rarely do. What I can promise you is that I’ll take care of your daughter and protect her with everything I’ve got. We’ll never be sittin’ as financially high up on the ladder as you are and the first couple of years are gonna be a little rough, but she won’t ever know what it’s like to worry about the electricity bein’ cut off or wonderin’ where her next meal’s comin’ from.”

Carson chuckled. “No, you’re right, I wouldn’t go to my father-in-law.”

“Then don’t expect me to do it either.” He took a drink of his beer and waited to see what Carson would say to that.

Carson stared out of the window, watching the people outside, while he thought about how to bring up a certain sensitive topic. “I don’t think it’ll be necessary to ever ask anyone about money. Not me or anyone else.”

Michael shrugged. “You don’t know me very well if you think I’d ever ask anyone for money. If the business went belly up and I fell flat on my face – which I don’t see happenin’, but if it did and I couldn’t provide what she needed…” he bit his bottom lip and his hand clenched around the bottle. “If it ever came to that…” he shook his head stubbornly. “It’ll never come to that. I refuse to believe that’ll happen. But, if it did… my pride wouldn’t stand in the way of her well-being.”

“Maria has a trust fund, Michael,” the older man said before the boy in front of him could struggle with even more words. “I didn’t tell you before because I wanted to make sure you would make your decisions without the thought of money in the background.” He lifted his hands when Michael’s expression sobered. “I know now that you love my daughter because of the woman she is.”

He wasn’t sure why Carson was telling him about Maria’s trust fund. Common sense told him that she’d have a trust fund somewhere in her future. He paused, the bottle barely brushing his lips when he realized what the man had just said. “You’re acknowledging that my motives have nothin’ to do with the fact that she comes from a wealthy background?” he asked as he slowly lowered the bottle once more.

“We wouldn’t be sitting here right now if I had any doubts about your intentions, boy.”

He nodded. It was the first time that Carson had called him ‘boy’ that he didn’t feel like he was being talked down to like someone unworthy of the man’s time. “It means a lot to her that you and her mom are supporting us bein’ together.”

“It means everything to us to see her happy.”

Michael’s lips quirked up in a soft smile as he thought about the woman he was marrying. “Guess that makes three of us.”

“Anyway,” Carson took a sip of his drink, “what I was about to say is, Maria has a trust fund. She knows about it of course, but not how much money she’ll be coming into.”

Michael shrugged his right shoulder. “I’m sure whatever it is will be sufficient,” he said as he lifted the bottle to take a long drink.

“It’ll be enough,” Carson agreed.

“As long as you understand that the size of her trust fund is of no interest to me.”

“Yeah,” Carson looked at the younger man. “Just so you know we’re talking about 2.5 million dollars.”

Michael choked on the drink he had just taken. He had known it would be significant but... He hadn’t expected that.

“We had planned to give it to her after college, but well things have changed.”

“I don’t understand...”

“You’re getting married,” Carson explained. “She’ll have her own family now, so it’s time to give her the money we’ve saved up for her and she should do with it whatever she wants.”

“I’m glad you finally understand I’m not interested in her for your money... her money. Whatever.”

“Do you think this could create a problem between you?”

“No. The only way it’d cause a problem would be if she wanted me to quit what I do. And she won’t do that ‘cause she knows how much I love what I do.”

Carson nodded, satisfied.

“Vanessa says hey,” Tony interrupted as he came back to the table.

Michael rolled his eyes at his friend’s timing. “What’s she up to?”

“Nada.”

Michael nodded. “His girlfriend,” he explained when Carson looked from one of them to the other.

Maria glanced up when Tess came back into the store, phone in hand. “Everything okay?” she asked. They were waiting on the woman helping them to bring out the next dress. The first three had looked much better in the catalog than they had once she had tried them on.

“Yeah, Liz is just goin’ stir-crazy in the hospital.”

“Probably makin’ Max just as crazy,” Maria said knowingly. “You know how impatient she can be.”

“Yeah, well, he can be too.” Tess rolled her eyes. “The pain meds they have him on aren’t makin’ him goofy anymore, but he’s super mellow right now.”

Amy listened to the two girls as they discussed their friends, smiling at Tess’ descriptions. The girl was quite colorful and she could see why Maria had been drawn to her. Their personalities complemented each other. She stood when the woman came out from the back with the next dress.

Maria made a face just when she saw it. “Uh, no.”

“Definitely not,” Tess agreed.

“No,” the woman said slowly. She turned to look at the older woman. “This dress is very popular and in-demand right now.”

“I’m sure it is,” Amy said agreeably. “But my daughter doesn’t care for it, so we’ll just see the next one please.”

“Alright, I’ll just return this one and bring out the next.”

Maria turned to look at her mother. “Popular? In-demand? Yeah, I think she just tells every customer that because nobody wants it.”

Tess snorted. “Right? Who would possibly be demanding that thing?”

“Someone with no sense of style or fashion, I’m sure,” Amy said, chuckling. “You have to admit, many of the things that are considered fashionable these days is often rather tacky and tasteless. And sadly enough, tacky and tasteless sells.”

“I’m going for beautifully and breathtaking instead,” Maria decided.

“Then you won’t want this next one,” Tess said, wrinkling her nose at the dress being brought out. “Talk about tacky.” There was more material on the veil than there was on the entire dress. “Jeez, Maria, I don’t remember lookin’ at anything that even looked like that.”

The other girl snorted. “Yeah, weird…”

Amy glanced at the woman and simply shook her head.

Tess looked up from replying to a text from Kyle several minutes later when the woman returned with a dress that she recognized from the catalogue. “Now that’s more like it.”

Maria’s face lit up when she saw the dress the woman was holding out in front of her. “Gosh, it’s beautiful.”

“You’d like to try this one on?” the woman asked hopefully.

“Uh-huh, of course,” Maria nodded excitedly, which made her mother smile.

“That’s gonna be the one,” Tess said when Maria disappeared into the dressing area.

“Hopefully if it needs any alterations they’ll be minor,” Amy said. “She’s getting married tomorrow night.”

“Oh, I see.”

Tess’ eyes narrowed at the woman’s tone and she was opening her mouth to speak when Maria’s mother beat her to the punch.

“Did you have something else to add?” Her tone indicated that if the woman knew what was best for her she wouldn’t say anything else.

“No, ma’am. It would just add to the cost if we had to do a rush job on the alterations. We don’t normally – “

“I’m not concerned with the cost. The only concern here is for her to find the dress she wants in time for her wedding. Anything else is just a matter of details.”

“Sure, we’ll do our best,” the woman said. “Not a problem.”

“Well?” Tess asked as she paced back and forth in front of the dressing room. “Do you need any help?”

“Can you give me a hand with the zipper?”

Tess hurried into the room and gasped when she saw her friend. “Maria, you look beautiful!” she exclaimed as she moved to reach for the zipper tab and pull it up. “How’s it fit? It looks just about perfect.”

“I think it is perfect.”

She stepped back and smiled at Maria when she turned around. “You’re gonna take his breath away, girl.”

“Oh, sweetie,” Amy breathed as she got up from her seat and held one hand over her mouth. “You look so beautiful,” she said with tears in her eyes.

Maria’s own eyes were shining with tears as she saw the approval in her mom’s eyes and heard it in her voice. “This’s the one, Mom.” She turned to look at her reflection in the mirror and she smiled happily as her hands brushed over the dress. “It’s perfect.”

“Yes, it is,” Amy nodded. “Michael will fall in love with you all over again and I think you might even get your dad’s heart to melt.”

“I still can’t believe he’s not tryin’ to stop this,” Maria admitted as she chewed on her bottom lip. “I mean, I’m glad he’s not… I really didn’t want this to come between us and it would’ve bothered Michael so much.” She shook her head. “I’m so happy you’re both here for this.”

“Your Dad just needed to get over the thought that he knows better that you do what’s best for you,” Amy said softly. “He finally realizes that you’re old enough to make your own decisions and decide for yourself what makes you happy.”

She smiled and nodded. “I’m just happy this is all coming together.”

Liz was lying next to Max, her weight propped on her right elbow and her gaze travelling over his features as he dozed fitfully. He shifted around every few minutes, trying to get comfortable in the hospital bed and not having much success. He suddenly jerked and his face twisted into a grimace of pain when the movement jostled his arm where it was cradled against his chest. His eyes opened and he glanced around, making a face at his surroundings as he shifted and closed his eyes once again.

“So much for hopin’ it was all just a bad dream,” he mumbled.

“You want me to have the nurse bring you somethin’ for the pain?” she asked as she brushed his hair back off of his forehead. He had turned down his last round of painkillers, already tired of the way they made him feel. “Maybe they can give you somethin’ different.”

He nodded. “Okay, just no more of that stuff they were givin’ me before.”

She leaned over and pressed the call button to alert the nurse that she was needed and a few moments later she stepped into the room. She disappeared again once she knew what her patient needed, promising to bring him something for the pain. “See, it’ll be better soon,” Liz said quietly.

“Hope so. I wish they’d just let us leave already,” he complained quietly. “’m ready to get outta here.”

“It won’t be much longer.” For some reason when one of them was agitated the other one was always calm. It had been that way between them for as long as she could remember. Liz smiled and glanced up when she heard footsteps approaching through the open door. She was expecting to see the nurse and her eyes widened in shock when her gaze landed on the woman who paused in the doorway. “Mom… what’re you doin’ here?” she asked carefully.

Max went on alert as soon as he heard her address their visitor. Liz’ relationship with her mother was better than it had been years ago, but there were still issues that prevented her from fully trusting the woman. Over the years she had protected herself from the pain of dealing with her emotionally distant mother by building walls and as Nancy had started to recover some of them had come down, but others remained in tact. It was a slow process and he didn’t know if she would ever be able to fully open herself up to that relationship. Some wounds went deeper than others and being raised by a woman who had all but abandoned her had left her emotionally scarred and resulted in trust issues.

He straightened up as well as he could, teeth gritted against the pain. “Mrs. Parker,” he greeted with a slight nod. Even though she was remarried he still called her by the name he had used growing up. He wondered how she had been contacted. They were each other’s emergency contacts and next on the list would be his parents and their friends. He had talked to his parents earlier and they had made no mention of calling her mother. Liz had talked to them as well and had they suggested it she would’ve told him about it.

“What’re you doin’ here? You’re supposed to be in Europe.” Liz climbed out of the bed and straightened up.

“You’re in the hospital, where else would I be?” Nancy asked. She took a few steps towards her daughter but stopped when Liz moved back.

Max reached for her hand, rubbing his thumb over her knuckles.

“But the accident wasn’t even 24 hours ago, there’s no way you could travel up here so fast.”

“Eric and I came back earlier than expected. We were at home when we found out you’d been in an accident.”

Max didn’t like the direction the conversation was taking. “How’d you even know about the accident?” he asked.

“The hospital called me.”

Liz looked at Max, confused. How was that possible?

“I don’t understand. To call you they’d have to have that information and neither of us had anything on us that would’ve had your number,” Max said. He wasn’t trying to be mean but he didn’t know how they had known to contact her.

“I’d imagine my number was in Liz’ phone… or maybe in her purse… I don’t know how they were able to contact me and I don’t really care. I’m just glad they did,” Nancy said, regretting a past that had made her own daughter wary of her intentions. Eric was always telling her to be patient, and she knew it was going to take time, but it was hard.

Liz nodded and sat down on the edge of the bed. “How was Europe?”

“European,” Nancy said with a slight smile. “Who cares how Europe was? How are you?”

“We’re good. Max broke his arm, but other than that we got out of this pretty lucky.”

She nodded. “Will you be going back to California once they release you?”

“No, one of our best friends is getting married here tomorrow and we’re planning to stay a few days after the wedding as well.”

Max could see that Nancy was struggling for words and he sympathized with her. Had circumstances been different he would’ve suggested getting together with her and Eric for dinner, but this was one area where he wouldn’t step in without being certain that Liz wanted that interaction.

“So, you’ll be coming home in about a week?”

Liz glanced at Max for help.

“We’ll be comin’ back, but only for a few weeks,” he answered as he shifted again. He looked up at Liz. “Would you do me a favor? Find out where that nurse and my pain meds are?”

Nancy glanced between them, noticing their clasped hands for the first time. She was surprised when Liz nodded and leaned in to kiss him before leaving the room. “You’re together?”

“Yeah,” he grunted when his arm started throbbing. “Look, I know you’ve been tryin’ to build a relationship with her and it’s probably takin’ a lot longer than you’d like. You’ve done a good job puttin’ your life back together and I’m sure you know she may never be able to be as open with you as you’d like her to be.”

“No,” she murmured, “I know that.”

“The thing is… we’ve decided to move up here. This’s where our best friends are gonna be and they’re her family. I’m not tryin’ to take anything from you by sayin’ that, but… we’re the ones who picked up the pieces time after time. This group gives her a stability that she didn’t have after her dad left and that’s helped her a lot. I guess what I’m askin’ here is that you not try to convince her to stay in California because you wanna fix your relationship and she’d be a lot closer. Let her go, Nancy. If you really want her to be happy, let her go.”

Nancy’s mouth opened and closed several times, before she sat down in one of the chair. “I... I won’t do that Max, it’s just... surprising.”

He smiled. “Yeah, it’s kinda been a week full of surprises. I love your daughter. I don’t remember a time when I didn’t love her. It’s taken a lot for her to reach a place where she was willing to even consider a relationship. I’m sure you know she’s kinda shied away from anything that even resembled a relationship in the past but I’m gonna do my best to make sure this’s the only one she ever wants.”

“I always knew you two were meant to be together, Max. It was just a matter of time,” the older woman said with a soft smile.

Max nodded and glanced up when Liz paused in the doorway to look between them and he knew she was trying to determine what was going on.

“Max told me about your plans,” Nancy started with a smile.

She nodded and walked over to stand next to Max, levering herself up to sit beside him when he patted the mattress. She knew her mother was trying and she wanted to be able to be more open and trusting but there was still a part of her that couldn’t let go of the past. “We’ll be moving pretty soon. We’ve already found an apartment.” She glanced at Max as she reached for his hand. “The nurse said she’d be right in.”

Nancy had no doubt that her daughter and Max would make their lives here together. They had always been inseparable and she had a feeling that their newly explored feelings for each other were about to grow.

Max wrapped his right arm around her waist, resting his hand on her hip. “So, Eric came with you?” he asked when neither of them said anything else.

Nancy’s expression slipped. “No, he had to stay at home.”

Liz frowned as she studied her mother’s features. Had something happened to Eric? she wondered. “Is everything okay?”

“His mother passed away last week.”

“Oh,” Liz said quietly. Eric was a nice guy and even though she’d never gone out of her way to spend any time with him or get to know him that well he had always treated her decently when their paths had crossed. “I’m sorry to hear that. You should be with him.”

“I’m going back soon,” she agreed. “He’s with his dad now.”

“I would say we could maybe have dinner tonight or somethin’ but they seem pretty intent on keepin’ us until tomorrow,” Liz said, feeling bad for her mother. She could see that the woman was saddened by the loss of her mother-in-law.

“Maybe I can sneak in something fun to eat?” Nancy offered.

Max could tell that Liz wanted to do something to make her mother feel better but she didn’t know what to do. Sometimes her awkwardness around her own mother was painful to watch but he knew why it was there. “That’d be great, Mrs. Parker,” he said. “Hospital food’s just nasty and you know your daughter,” he grinned. “Just won’t eat the stuff. Thought she was gonna go ballistic over the breakfast they brought in this mornin’.”

“Yeah, that sounds like her,” Nancy said and smiled at Liz. “Okay, any preferences?”

“There’s a McDonalds pretty close,” Max suggested, knowing Liz would live on their food if she could get away with it.

“Oh, yeah! That’d be cool.”

“I’ll assume you still like the same thing?”

“You know it,” she admitted with a small grin.

“Well, then I’ll make sure to bring dinner this evening. Max, what about you?”

“I’ll take the same as Liz... but twice as much.”

Nancy nodded. “I should’ve known. Alright, well, why don’t I go and let the two of you rest and I’ll come back around 6pm?” she asked uncertainly.

Liz nodded. “Sounds good, Mom.”

“You handled that pretty well,” Max said once Nancy had left the room.

“She’s still my mom, isn’t she?” she said thoughtfully.

“Yeah, she is. She’s made her mistakes and she has to live with them. I think she knows that nothin’ she does can ever make up for her past actions, but maybe it’s more a matter of both of you accepting that and findin’ a way to let it go. Holdin’ onto it doesn’t do any good and in a lot of ways it’s crippling for you if you do.”

“Why do you always have to be so rational?” she asked with a smile and glanced up when the nurse finally came in.
Fics: A Xmas Story - A Merry Mt. R. Xmas - Cupid's Revenge - Double Trouble - Double Date - Double Dare - Double Empire - Double Xmas Wish - In The Course Of A Lifetime - Mountains So High - Not A Question At All - Surrender - TIC TAC - Two Double Dates at Xmas
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 62

Post by Double Trouble »

Earth2Mother: True, these types of situations are never easy to deal with or let go of. Nancy is trying. It may be too little too late… or it could be the start of a new relationship between mother and daughter.

Maria definitely found the right dress.

You could be onto something where that money’s concerned.

keepsmiling7: Nancy at least saw that much. Hopefully things will get better and she and Liz can eventually build a good relationship.

Alien_Friend: Looks like maybe they’re on the right track.

There had to be a reason Amy loves the guy. She knew how good he can be.

Yep, we’re pretty sure she looked wonderful too.

Natalie36: Thanks for reading!

mary mary: Lol, well… only if you’re sure.

Yeah, that was kind of an annoying oversight in the show, lol.

Thanks!

Next week… for sure.

Drogyn: Wow… yeah, that’s a bit of catching up to do, lol.

Thanks! We like flawed characters. They’re so much more interesting than characters that are just ‘good’ or ‘bad’.

begonia9508: Thanks!

That can really be a challenging relationship and these two have some added hurdles. But maybe now they’ll have a place to really start building something.

sarammlover: So do we!

Lol, well, the guys are certainly making an effort. If nothing else they have one very important thing in common.

LovelyPOM83: Thanks! Lol, well, we’re glad you’re enjoying our Max and Liz! We’re both Candies of course, but we try to write all of our characters/couples well. :)

Family… talk about challenging!

Part 62

Maria felt her nerves tense slightly when she and Tess entered the lodge later that day after the shopping marathon with her mother. Only a few more hours and she would be Mrs. Guerin. It was kinda hard to believe.

“You’re nervous, huh?” Tess asked knowingly.

“A bit,” she admitted.

“I still can’t believe you’re getting married first.”

Maria chuckled and her heart did a little flip flop when she noticed the boys were already back and were sitting around a table.

Michael glanced up when his fiancé entered the room. Fiancé... wow, not for long though.

“Michael,” Nick tried to get his attention. “So bachelor party at Tony’s right?”

Michael shrugged, his gaze never wavering. “I don’t know... you guys were handlin’ that.”

“He’s no fun anymore,” Nick complained

“Who, Tony?”

“No. You!”

“Me?” He turned to glance at Nick. “How am I not fun anymore?”

He rolled his eyes and waved him off before turning to Tony and Kyle. “What about food?”

“We’ve got it covered,” Tony assured him.

“The stripper?” Nick mouthed quietly.

Tony gave him a thumbs-up as he leaned forward to grab his beer.

“Hey,” the girls greeted as they reached the table. “Did you guys find nice monkey suits?”

“Picked out an’ picked up,” Michael said with a grin. “After your mom decided that every tux we’d picked out wasn’t good enough she found some she liked.”

“Yeah, I know she would.”

“Uh-huh, well, if I never have your mom tuggin’ on my clothes and tellin’ me how to stand I’ll be perfectly happy.”

Tony snorted. “Yeah, well, I thought she was gonna choke me with that bowtie.”

“Men,” Tess complained. “I’ll bet it wasn’t even half as exhausting as finding the right wedding dress so shut up.”

Michael tipped his head back to look at his bride-to-be. “Found the perfect one, huh?”

Her eyes sparkled. “Yes!”

“Cool.” He reached back to take her hand and tug her closer for a kiss. “I can’t wait to see it.”

“Not until tomorrow,” she said, laughing as she sat down in his lap.

“Any chance you’ve given up that idea you had about us not stayin’ together tonight?”

“Forget it, Guerin,” Tess shook her head. “Maria stays with the girls tonight.”

Nick paused before stuffing another chip in his mouth. “What’s the point?”

“Because they say it brings bad luck.”

“That’s just superstition,” he denied.

“Shut up,” Tess answered sweetly. “Besides it’ll give them time to prepare for the wedding.”

“Time to...” Nick rolled his eyes. “Jeez, how long’s it gonna take to get dressed for this thing?”

“It’s not just about getting dressed,” she shook her head.

Nick glanced at Tony. “What more is there?”

“You guys won’t understand.”

The guys exchanged a look. “She’s probably right about that, Nicky. Just let it go.”

“So the plan is Maria and I won’t see each other until the actual wedding?” Michael asked, frowning.

Kyle nodded knowingly. “You’re not getting outta that one, my friend. I’ve already been told we’ll be doin’ the same thing, so you might as well suck it up an’ accept it.”

“Great.”

“Yep, so just enjoy your time while you’ve got it.”

Maria squeezed his hand. “Only one more day of separation,” she winked at him.

“Alright, if you’re sure you wanna do this.”

“We wouldn’t see each other very much anyway. We’d get home from the parties late and I have to get up early to start preparing my hair and everything with the girls.”

“Um-hmm, well, I guess I’ll survive one more night.”

“Yes, you will,” Tess interrupted. “Hell, from then on it’s for forever.”

Nick rolled his eyes. “Okay, you guys are about to start getting all mushy an’ shit... let’s move this conversation along.”

“Max and Liz wanted me to say hi,” Kyle said.

“Yeah, that’s what I meant... let’s talk about another couple. Hey, ouch!” he complained, turning and glaring at Vanessa when she came up behind him and flicked his ear.

“Are they doin’ okay?” Maria asked.

“They’re fine. Ready to get outta the hospital.”

“We need to call Liz during the party and put her on the speaker,” Maria decided.

Tess nodded in agreement. “You guys should do that for Max too.”

Kyle made a face. “Guys don’t do stuff like that, babe.”

“Yeah,” Tony made a face.

Nick shook his head at her. “Do you normally take her advice on stuff?”

“Huh?”

“Just wonderin’ if when she tells you to do stuff like that... do you normally do it?”

“No, I don’t and I didn’t say we would do that.”

“Uh-huh... just wonderin’ how that usually works.”

Kyle rolled his eyes at the younger guy. Way to ask me things in front of my fiancé, he thought. He still has to learn a lot.

Nick smirked when Kyle didn’t answer. Uh-huh, that was an answer all in itself, wasn’t it? “Let’s order somethin’ to eat.”

Kyle fussed over his friends as they prepared to leave the hospital and Liz put up with it until he tried to belt her into the backseat of his truck. Max was sitting in the front, watching and waiting for Liz to lose it. Thankfully, Kyle hadn’t tried to buckle him in but Liz wasn’t taking the effort to make her safe very well.

“Kyle, I love you, but if you dare try it I’m gonna hurt you,” Liz growled, snatching the seatbelt out of his hand.

“Jeez, threaten a guy for worryin’ about your safety,” he grumbled, hands held up in defense.

“I’m not the one with a broken arm. If you just have to mother hen someone, Max is right there. Now, let’s just go.”

“Thanks, darlin’, I’ll remember that,” Max murmured as he slouched down against the door.

The drive to the cabin to drop Liz off didn’t take very long, but the time the girls spent gushing over Max’s injury and demanding to know every little detail of what had happened in their absence seemed to take forever. It took them at least half an hour before they could get free of the girls and get back on the road.

“So your Mom was really there, huh?” Maria asked while the hairdresser Vanessa had brought with her was doing magic with her hair.

“Yeah.” Liz shrugged. “It wasn’t all that bad. It was actually kinda nice.”

“I wish you had been there with us at the party last night, girl,” Maria said, “but at least ya got the chance to meet your Mom this way.”

“Yeah. I really hate that I missed your party though.”

“You won’t miss the BIG party, though,” the blonde girl said, smiling and get another round of cursing from the hairdresser when she moved her head.

Liz snickered. “Keep movin’ around like that and you’re gonna look like a rat’s been nesting in your hair at your wedding.”

Maria sighed and tried to sit up straight. “Hard to not move when you’re nervous as hell.”

“What’re you so nervous about?” Liz ran her fingers through her hair. “This’s what you want... right?”

“Sure.... but well.... it’s my wedding, ya know?”

“Not really.” And she wasn’t trying to be a smartass. “What about you, Tess? Are you gonna be nervous when you an’ Kyle get married?”

“Every girl should be nervous,” Tess nodded.

“Okay,” she said slowly.

“Liz,” Maria said, “don’t worry about it, nobody says you need to get married soon, girl.”

“No, not worried about it,” she denied. “Max won’t push anything like that.”

“No doubt one day he’s gonna ask you though,” Tess said.

Liz shrugged but a small smile tugged at her lips.

“So, does Max remember the L word?”

“Does Max remember...” Maria shook her head, resulting in another round of cursing from the hairdresser. “Wait, you said the L word?” She tried to glare at Tess. “And you didn’t tell me?” she hissed.

“Back to the important part,” Tess interrupted. “Does he remember that you said it?”

“I don’t know...” Liz bit her bottom lip.

“Wait, he hasn’t said anything?” Tess shook her head. “Well, he was on a lot of painkillers... he must not remember.”

“Yeah...”

“Hey, Tess is probably right. You know if he remembered you sayin’ it he’d be happy about it,” Maria said.

“Problem is now I have to say it again...”

True, Tess thought with a slight smile. Liz wasn’t the most comfortable person in the world when it came to expressing herself when the softer emotions were involved. Piss her off and she had no problem expressing herself, but something like this... not nearly as easy. “You’ll get it out when you’re comfortable, Liz.”

“Yeah,” Maria agreed. “Just give it time. It took forever until Michael and I said it.”

“Uh-huh,” Liz said doubtfully. “For both of you? Or him?”

“For both of us I think. I know it took over a year for me.”

“Max says it without hesitation, ya know? Sometimes just outta the blue, for no reason at all. And it’s not that I don’t feel the same way because I do. The words just stick in my throat.”

“Max has had a lot of more time to think about it, girl.”

“I don’t know.” She stared at the polish drying on her fingernails. “You guys know how he is... he’s like an open book. If he feels it, he says it.” She rolled her eyes at herself. “God, it must’ve killed him not sayin’ anything to me this whole time.”

“Oh, yeah,” Maria giggled.

“Let’s not even get into that,” she complained.

“Oh, hey,” Maria looked at Tess, “what’d you guys think of the apartment Liz and Max picked out?”

Liz glanced at Tess. “You didn’t tell her?”

“Tell me what?”

“We’re moving here too.”

“They looked at the apartment above the one Max and I took,” Liz said.

“Wow, I can’t believe you’re all moving here,” Maria said, feeling a happy tear running down her cheek.

“No tears today,” the hairdresser said with a smile. “Not even happy tears.”

“No tears? It’s her fuckin’ wedding day, there will be tears,” Tess said.

The woman shook her head. “Then she’ll look like she’s been crying.” She reached around to pat Maria’s cheeks. “You can’t hide it with your complexion.”

“Who cares,” Tess interrupted, “you’re supposed to cry at a wedding.”

The woman sighed. “Very well, have it your way.”

“Very well,” Tess mocked slightly and earned an amused glare from Maria.

Liz rolled her eyes. “Probably not a good idea to piss off the woman doing her hair, Tess.”

Michael took in a deep breath and exhaled loudly. He was repeating the action a few times, hoping to be able to calm his fast heartbeat.

“Nervous much?” Nick teased. “Told you it’s a bad idea to be tied down and limited to only one woman for the rest of your life.”

“Shut up,” Tony smacked the back of his head and looked at Michael. “Guerin, you’re not gonna pass out during this thing, right?”

Michael glanced at them before starting to pace, mangling the loose ends of the tie hanging around his neck. “No, I’m not gonna pass out.”

“Good, because you look like you might.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

“You can still get outta this,” Nick teased.

“I don’t want out of it, Nick,” he denied.

“Then why’re you so damn nervous?”

“How the hell should I know? I’ve never done this before.”

“He’s gonna be okay,” Tony shrugged.

I’m gonna be okay, Michael thought as he paused with his hands braced on the breakfast bar. The very same bar he and Maria had made love on just a couple of days ago. He smiled and nodded to himself. Oh, yeah, things were gonna be fine.

The guys listened up when a vehicle came to stop in front of the building, horn honking loudly, and a few minutes later Max and Kyle stumbled into the apartment. “Are we late?”

“You’re only late if the wedding’s started,” Michael answered. “And if that’s the case I’m in a lot more trouble than you are.”

“Are our suits here? The girls said they’d be here?” Max asked, making a face. “I doubt I can get my arm through the shirt though.”

Kyle patted him on the back. “I’ve been given strict instructions on how to get you into the monkey suit.” He made a face. “Not my personal idea of a good time but you’re my friend, so I guess I’ll do it. Besides, if I don’t make sure you’re presentable I’ll have three girls on my ass... and not in a good way.”

“They’re over there,” Michael pointed to the clothes hanging on the bedroom door.

“Perfect.” Kyle paused as he picked up one of the suits. “Um, Evans, you can get your pants on by yourself, right?”

Max rolled his eyes. “I didn’t break my hands, did I?”

“Just makin’ sure. I know that arm’s been givin’ you hell and you didn’t take the painkillers this mornin’.”

“You could give them to Guerin, he might need somethin’ to calm his nerves,” Nick teased.

Tony grinned and high-fived the younger man. “It would definitely relax him.”

“You two cut it out,” Michael growled. “I’m relaxed.”

“Uh-huh,” Max said with a lifted eyebrow.

“Okay, maybe there’re some nerves, but I’m sure that’s natural.”

“Maria was pretty calm, wasn’t she?” Kyle asked Max.

Max nodded. “Uh-huh.”

“Did she say anything?” Michael asked, interested.

He grinned. “Just that she was happy you guys weren’t waitin’ through an engagement to get married.”

Michael snorted. “I doubt she said that.”

“Why?” He turned to look at the other guy. “Are you thinkin’ you should’ve gone with a long engagement?”

“No.”

“Okay.” Max shook his head. “Sometimes you’re very confusing, Guerin.”

Michael was about to run a hand through his hair but stopped himself before he did when he remembered he had already arranged his hair.

Nick laughed at the look on Michael’s face when he couldn’t find an outlet for his nervous tension. “Good grief, you really are nervous about this. Is this the part where I need to take you aside and have the sex talk with you? Let you know how everything works and what to do an’ not do?” he asked, teasingly.

“Yeah, as if I would ask YOU,” Michael snapped.

He couldn’t help it. Michael was so nervous he looked like he was gonna go through the roof at any second. “Look, I know it’s pretty nerve-wracking your first time...”

A knock on the door interrupted them and the guys glanced at each other in confusion since none of them knew who was behind the locked door.

Tony rolled his eyes at them and went to answer the door. He nodded at the man on the other side, motioning for him to enter. “How’s it goin’, Mr. DeLuca?”

Carson just nodded when he stepped in and took in his surroundings with a raised eyebrow.

Michael watched the man for a moment before glancing around at his apartment. What did he see? he wondered.

The room wasn’t impressive, but it was what he had expected and he reminded himself that judging the boy by his apartment would let him fall back on old habits. He glanced at his soon-to-be son-in-law and greeted him simply. “Michael.”

He relaxed slightly when Carson greeted him without passing judgment. “How’s it goin’?”

“Pretty good,” he answered and glanced at the boy’s tie. “Here, let me do that.”

Michael controlled the urge to pull away when Carson reached for his tie. “I made a mess of it,” he admitted after a second.

“Don’t worry about it. I was nervous as hell on my wedding day.”

He nodded. “It’ll pass, right?”

“Not anytime soon though.”

He swallowed hard. “Great.”

“You’re not getting out of this now, boy,” Carson warned and tightened the tie around his neck.

Michael lifted his chin up and wondered if his soon-to-be father-in-law was trying to strangle him.

“C’mon, Evans, time to get you ready,” Kyle said as he finished cutting the sleeve of the dress shirt. Tess had walked him through how this was supposed to work and then quizzed him on it repeatedly before turning him loose.

“Has Tess already picked out her wedding dress?” Max asked while Kyle helped him into his shirt.

“Are you kiddin’? She’s had that thing picked out since before I asked her to marry me.”

Tony snorted at this. “Women.”

“Well, one thing you can say for that woman of mine,” Kyle mumbled around the safety pin between his lips, “she knows what she wants and she’s not afraid to go after it.” He glared at Max when he started fidgeting. “Would you be still? If I stab you with these pins you’re gonna bleed on this white shirt an’ then I’m gonna catch shit from all of our girls.”

Max shook his head. “The only girl you’re afraid of is your own.”

“That might be true but usin’ you for a pincushion would put Parker on my ass... not somethin’ I wanna experience. After the lecture on safely drivin’ you around this mornin’ I think I can do without more of her mouth.”

The bantering of the other guys helped Michael to calm down a little and he nodded at Carson when he was finally done with his tie. “How long will you be stayin’ here?”

“We’re only here for a couple more days.”

“Maybe we can get together for lunch or dinner again before you leave.”

Carson hid his surprise as he nodded. “Amy and I would enjoy that.”

“How much time do we have?” Nick asked. “I’m starving.”

Tony shook his head. “You’re always hungry.”

“That wasn’t the answer to my question.”

He walked over to the kitchen and scrounged around in the cabinets until he found a box of chocolate chip granola bars and he turned to toss one to Nick. “Eat that. We’re not eatin’ until after the wedding.”

A/N: You might already expect it, but yep…. Next week we will get to the last part of MSH! :(
Fics: A Xmas Story - A Merry Mt. R. Xmas - Cupid's Revenge - Double Trouble - Double Date - Double Dare - Double Empire - Double Xmas Wish - In The Course Of A Lifetime - Mountains So High - Not A Question At All - Surrender - TIC TAC - Two Double Dates at Xmas
Double Trouble
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 63 - last Part

Post by Double Trouble »

Earth2Mother: Yeah :( It’s kinda sad, isn’t it? But we will be back with a new one soon.

We left the bachelor/bachelorette parties up to everyone’s fantasies with all the stripping an’ stuff, lol.

begonia9508: Thanks for reading!

Natalie36: Thanks! He’s doing his best to control himself.

kismet: Already, yes. A sequel, huh? Well, we never rule them out, lol.

Carson’s making an effort to make up for some of his past behavior.

We’ll see today. ;)

keepsmiling7: Thanks for reading!

sarammlover: It’s true… last part. We’re gonna miss it too, but ending one means jumping into the next one. 

mary mary: The big day is here!

killjoy: Oh, boy… well, we didn’t mean to make you sad. So, maybe we’ll keep that in mind for a ficlet in the future.

As for that ‘we can’t see each other the night before the wedding’ thing… it’s a tradition and we have no idea who came up with it. However, Michael’s in complete agreement with you about just how dumb that idea is!

Alien_Friend: Almost over… but that opens the door for the next fic. ;)

Part 63

Maria stared at the dress hanging on the back of the closet door, imagining how she would feel as she walked down the aisle on her dad’s arm. Michael waiting for her, probably nervous as hell and trying to appear calm. She was so close to becoming Mrs. Guerin, she thought with a smile.

She turned her head a bit later when she heard a knock on the door and after a moment her mom poked her head inside. “Hey, honey, how’re you doing in here?” she asked. She nodded to herself and closed the door behind her. “Little bit nervous?”

“Not as much as I thought I would be. Yet at least.”

She smiled. “It’ll pass in time.”

“You gotta help me with the zipper.”

Amy nodded. “I think I can handle that.”

“Thanks,” Maria turned slightly to give her mother better access. “Where’s Dad?”

“He went over to give the boys a hand.”

“Uh, he’s not gonna make Michael run away, right?”

“No, I think your dad’s finally accepted that Michael isn’t going anywhere.”

“Good.”

She tugged the zipper up and smoothed her hands over the fabric before taking a step back. “Okay.”

“Okay,” Maria breathed and took a look at herself in the large mirror in front of her.

Amy studied her daughter’s reflection and felt tears fill her eyes. “You’re absolutely beautiful, Maria.”

“Don’t cry, Mom,” she said, her own voice thick.

Amy shook her head and swallowed hard. “You’re just suddenly all grown up.”

“Things can change pretty quickly, huh?”

“In a heartbeat.”

“Mom, you’re okay with me marrying Michael, right? I mean, you’re not just here because you’re my mom and you feel like you have to be, right?”

“I think you know me better than that, Maria. If I wasn’t okay with this I would’ve told you right away. I wouldn’t have taken your side against your dad unless I was sure that you’re doing what’s right for you.” She reached out to cup her daughter’s cheeks. “He’s right for you and I can see that.”

Maria nodded and wiped a tear away before it could ruin her makeup. “I love him.”

“I know you do. He loves you too. It’s visible to anyone who looks at the two of you, honey.”

“My feelings for him never went away, they were just pushed to the background when he left Roswell.”

“I knew when he left that it broke your heart and that light inside of you just went out. When we met you coming down off of that mountain the other day, it was the first time I had seen it since he left.”

Maria smiled happily. “Yeah, he’s back in my life and I know this’s all going pretty fast, but I have no doubt that this’s the right decision.”

“As long as you know it’s the right thing to do then you’ll be fine.” She shook her head. “Trust your heart.”

“I will.”

“I believe you’re gonna be very happy, Maria.” She smiled slightly. “Don’t get me wrong, it won’t be perfect and there are likely to be days when you question your sanity for marrying him... not because he’s Michael, but simply because men can be idiots at times. So can we,” she admitted, “but we’re talking about men here.”

Maria snorted. “Yeah.”

“But if he’s worth marrying, if he’s worth giving yourself to him heart, body and soul... then he and your marriage are worth fighting for. Always give it and him everything you have.”

Kyle was standing in the chapel’s foyer when the girls finally arrived and he forgot why he was waiting there when he saw Tess. “Wow, babe... you’re... wow.”

Tess smiled at him and gave him a quick peck on the lips. “You look very nice too.”

“Kyle, where’s Max?” Liz asked when she realized he was nowhere to be seen.

“Oh, there’re a couple of dressing rooms over there,” he said, motioning over to the right. “He’s in the second one.” He made a face at her. “Look, he was getting irritable and he wouldn’t cooperate. After he got stuck with the pin for the third time ‘cause he wouldn’t be still he wouldn’t let me do anything else and we had to get to the church on time, so…”

Liz rolled her eyes at him. “I told you he was gonna be grumpy.” She looked at Tess. “I’m gonna go get him ready and then we’ll join you guys.”

Max looked up when the door opened and he shrugged his right shoulder when Liz gave him a slightly chastising smile. “He kept stickin’ me with the damn pins.”

“Maybe ‘cause you wouldn’t be still.”

He tugged his collar away from his throat, drawing her attention to his lack of a tie. He pulled it out of his pocket and held it out to her.

“Did you get anything done at all?” She sighed and took the tie from him.

“Got my pants on,” he muttered. “Got the shirt on over the cast.” He lifted his arm up in the sling to show her. “But the cuff’s just kinda hangin’ there.”

“First we’re gonna do the tie,” she instructed.

He nodded and lifted his head up, his eyes following her movements as she flipped his collar up and tied the tie.

“How’s Michael doin’?”

“He’s fine. Got a case of nerves, but I’m sure they’ll settle down eventually.”

She snorted. “I can imagine. I think I’d need a lot of pills in his case. But Maria seems so.... well, not relaxed but, ya know…”

“Soon as they see each other an’ get the vows outta the way they’ll be fine.”

“Yeah, I know,” she glanced at him. “Okay, tie’s all done.”

He wiggled the fingers of his right arm. “Think you can fix the rest of it now?”

“Gonna help me with it?”

He lifted his arm, taking the pressure off of the material pinned beneath it. “Soon as this thing’s over I’m takin’ the painkillers.”

“Be still, will ya?” she said when she started to pin the cuff of his sleeve.

“Sorry. Damn thing’s throbbin’ and every time I move it just starts getting worse.”

“Why didn’t you take at least half of the painkillers then, Max?” She shook her head and looked at him.

“Because they make me goofy... jeez, I don’t wanna just start laughin’ at nothin’ in the middle of the ceremony.”

“We can get outta here after the ceremony if ya want. Maria will understand.”

“I can be a drugged-out idiot at the reception, just not the ceremony.”

“Okay. Jacket now,” she ordered.

He turned from the waist to grab it with his good hand. He slid his right arm into the sleeve when she held it up and tried to stand still while she settled it over his other shoulder.

“Good boy,” she teased.

He gave her his best puppy dog look. “I know what kinda treat I want later.”

“Yeah? Ya wanna tell me more about it?”

He smiled. “Don’t get me all hot an’ bothered before we go out there.”

“Well ya know, we can always pull those pants down again shortly,” she teased.

He shook his head at her and bit back a smirk. “You’re just tryin’ to get me in trouble.”

“Hey, not my fault. YOU started this between us and now you’re gonna have to live with the consequences.”

“So, I’ve just gotta live with a horny girlfriend, huh? I think I’ll find a way to survive.”

“Ya sure?”

“Pretty sure I’ll find a way to live with it.” His eyes traced over her face for a moment before he nodded at his jacket. “Thanks for fixin’ me up.”

“Always,” she winked at him.

“Guess it’s almost that time, huh?”

“Yeah.”

He lifted his right hand up to cradle her cheek. “I know it’s all about the bride today, but... you’re so beautiful.”

“Well it’s only about the bride for Michael, not for you,” she whispered.

“That's true, but maybe we shouldn’t tell them that.”

“Yeah, probably not.”

He grinned and shook his head. “Let ‘em have their day.”

“Yeah, would be unfair otherwise, huh? And we have the night...”

“I like nights... might even go so far as to say I love ‘em.”

“All of them?”

“Yeah, for the most part.” He looked down at her hands where they rested on his chest. “I even like rainy nights in the emergency room.”

“What? No one likes…” She swallowed hard as she met his gaze. “You remember that?”

“So it wasn’t just drug-induced wishful thinking?”

“No, we were really in the emergency room,” she hedged.

He reached up to cover her hands with his right one and he gave her a smile. “Hey, it’s okay if you’re not ready to say it again. You don’t…” He fell silent when she brought one hand up to cover his mouth.

“Anyone ever tell you that you talk too much?”

“You,” he mumbled.

“Yes, I said it that night. I was worried about you and it came out without a second thought. I haven’t been able to just put it out there again and I don’t know why.”

“You’re puttin’ too much pressure on yourself.”

She shook her head, feeling tears threaten. “I’ve tried but it’s like my throat locks up and they just won’t come out. You say it openly and freely and I choke on the words.”

He smiled gently. “Liz, the words are great, and yeah, I’d like to hear them someday, when you’re ready, but this isn’t a competition to see who can say it the most.”

“I want to say it, Max.”

“Say what?”

“Why’re you being so difficult about this?”

“What’d you say that night?”

“I love you!”

He grinned and tugged her closer for a kiss. “I love you too, Parker. See how much easier it comes out when you’re not thinkin’ about it?” He winked at her. “Quit obsessing about it and let it come out when it feels right.”

A soft knock on the door interrupted them and Tess’ voice spoke up. “You two lovebirds can come out now.”

“Someone should really let her know she’s not the boss,” he grumbled quietly.

“Um-hmm, but I’m afraid she’s right,” Liz whispered.

He chuckled. “Let’s go then.”

They stepped out of the room and followed Tess to where they needed to be during the ceremony.

Max glanced at Kyle as he stood next to him. “Thanks for your help earlier.” He shrugged his good shoulder. “Even though you did try to poke me full of holes.”

Kyle grinned. “Shut up.”

“Are you two sure you’re not a couple?” Nick asked as he rolled his eyes at them.

“Relax man,” Tony hissed at Michael, who was standing next to him with sweaty palms and nerves that seemed ready to explode at any minute.

Michael’s head snapped to the side and he stared at Tony. “What?” He couldn’t seem to focus on anything but that damn door at the back of the chapel.

“Take some deep breaths, man.”

“If I do that I’m liable to start hyperventilating right now.” He tugged at his collar and shifted restlessly. “What’s takin’ so long? You don’t think she changed her mind, right?”

Tony chuckled. “No, I’m pretty sure she’s still there, Michael.”

“Right. I know that.” He shifted again. What the hell was taking so long?

Max winked at Liz when he caught her gaze. He knew that this whole wedding thing was freaking her out, but she was doing really well.

Liz felt herself relax slightly and she smiled back at him. She was happy for Maria and Michael, but she just wasn’t all that comfortable with all the wedding stuff. It was so... permanent. Maybe it wasn’t that bad and maybe one day it would even be a possibility for her and Max. Hell, he’d been there for her whole life already and he hadn’t been scared off. Her smile grew a little more at that thought.

Maria glanced at herself in the mirror for what felt like the thousandth time. She finally felt her nerves appear full force and taking deep breaths was nothing her dress would allow.

Carson smiled as he watched his daughter trying not to fidget while desperately trying to calm her nerves. “They’ll settle down,” he said quietly. “You know, when your mom and I got married I was standin’ at the front of the church and I was a major basketcase... your mom though... she came down that aisle on your grandfather’s arm and she was the calmest I had ever seen her.” He shook his head slightly. “It wasn’t until later that she told me she was so nervous she could hardly breathe.”

Maria chuckled slightly. “How was Michael doing earlier?”

“About the same. Most likely wondering how he managed to get a girl like you and why you said yes.” He shook his head and held a hand up when she started to protest. “I don’t mean that in a derogatory manner. It’s somethin’ I’d wager most men wonder on the day of their wedding.” He gave her a reassuring smile as he cleared his throat. “He’s a good man, Maria.” It felt strange to say that but he believed it.

“Told you so,” she said, trying to not sound too accusing.

He nodded. “You did.” His eyes followed her movements as she checked her reflection once more. “I’m very proud of you, Maria.” He shook his head. “I don’t say it enough, but I am.”

“Thanks, Dad.”

He glanced at the clock on the wall. “It’s just about time for you to get married. You ready to do this?”

“I’m ready,” Maria nodded, and it was true.

Carson reached up to straighten his tie once more and he smiled as he offered her his arm. He could hear the pianist warming up and he drew in a deep breath. “I think they’re playin’ your song.”

She let the air out of her lungs loudly. “Alright. Time to say goodbye to being a DeLuca,” she joked.

He swallowed hard when her hand slipped into the crook of his arm. He had known this day would come, but he still wasn’t prepared to give her away. Sure, she was his child, she would always be his little girl, but this was acknowledgement that she was a grown woman.

Maria glanced at her father with a soft nod when he reached out to open the door for them.

The music swelled as the doors opened and as they began what felt like a mile-long walk down the aisle he sought out his wife’s gaze, needing the calm he knew he would find there.

Michael held his breath when he finally saw his bride walking towards him. God, she was even more beautiful in her dress than he had ever imagined. The feelings in him seemed to go crazy, one moment he felt incredibly happy, the next totally nervous and then finally just kinda weird. Breathe, he reminded himself and sighed loudly when he had to blink a few times. God, Guerin, pull it together!

Maria felt the strangest sense of calm settle over her with every step that brought her closer to the man she would soon call her husband. He was breathtaking in his tux and she could see the emotions racing across his features as his eyes locked on her. She had loved him for as long as she could remember and now they were finally getting their shot at a life together.

Amy bit her lip when her husband and daughter slowly made it towards Michael. The tissue in her hand was already all wet and the ceremony hadn’t even started yet.

To Carson’s horror his vision began to blur as they took the last few steps and he felt his muscles lock up at the moment he was supposed to release his daughter. He felt her hand squeeze his arm and he swallowed past the lump in his throat as he took her hand and offered it to Michael.

The younger man quickly wiped his sweaty palm on the back of his jacket, hoping nobody had seen it, before he reached for Maria. His heart seemed to stop at the moment when she placed her smaller hand in his.

Maria’s heart started to pound as she slid her hand into his, hiding a smile at his nervous actions.

“She looks gorgeous,” Tess whispered, leaning in next to Liz.

“Yeah, she is. That dress is perfect.”

Tony glanced over one of his best friends and coworkers. He hadn’t seen Michael like this before and he was amazed what Maria had done to him in only a matter of weeks. He turned to Nick, when he felt his elbow in his side and nodded with a slight smile when the younger guy nodded at their friend.

“He’s gonna be like this from now on, right?” Nick whispered.

“Yeah.”

Maybe it wouldn’t be a total drag, he thought. But he’d wait until Michael had been married to the ol’ ball an’ chain... um, Maria... for a while before he made a decision.

Maria stepped up and took her place next to Michael and then they turned to face each other.

Michael couldn’t take his eyes off of her, nearly unable to breathe as he tried to remember what he was supposed to say.

“Here,” Vanessa gave Amy a new tissue.

“Thank you,” she whispered. She reached over to take Carson’s hand, feeling the tautness in his body from trying to hold himself together.

He glanced over at his wife from the corner of his eyes and squeezed her hand. He hadn’t expected a moment like this so early, but he knew he had to let go of her.

Michael’s throat tightened when the man officiating the ceremony began reciting the question of intent. Here it comes, he thought. The big question. His ears kicked back in as it came down to the last few words.

“... for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, be faithful only to her so long as you both shall live?”

A slight smile lifted his lips at the corners and he looked deeply into her shining eyes as he nodded. “I do.” He lifted his eyebrows as he grinned at her, feeling relief wash over him when the two little words came out without hesitation. “I love you,” he mouthed as the question of intent was turned towards Maria.

Wow, I’m only seconds from being a wife.... his wife, she realized and swallowed hard. The words had come out of his mouth so easily and without a doubt that new tears had appeared in her eyes and it was really hard to force them all back.

She was so lost in thoughts that she wasn’t paying much attention to the words that were being said. Just when the room went so quiet you could hear a pin drop, she realized that it was time for her to speak up. She smiled brightly, dragging the moment out a few seconds longer before nodding slightly.

“I do.”

“I now pronounce you husband and wife,” she heard the man saying in a muffled voice and all she could think was: I am Mrs. Guerin now.

The End

Thanks to all of you for the lovely feedback during this fic! It's been a great time posting this and we can't wait to get started with the next one!
Here is a banner for "Double Dare" - coming very soon!
Thanks again!
Angel & Steffi