Love Story (M/L AU ADULT) - (Complete)

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Love Story (M/L AU ADULT) - (Complete)

Post by Emz80m »

Title: Love Story
Author: Emma
Disclaimer: I don’t own Roswell or any of the characters. I’m just borrowing them for fictional purposes. I also don’t own any of the music used in this fic
Rating: ADULT
Category: M/L

Summary: Max and Liz are ex’s who come face to face after years of being apart. How will the rest of their love story unfold?

One

Liz looked at her watch again and cursed. She was running late and she hated to be late. Worse than that she knew he hated it when she was late.

She smiled as she spotted a space right out the front of the restaurant. At least something was going right for her tonight. It was surreal being home in Roswell. After 2 long years of being away she was finally home and she had forgotten so many things about the city which she loved. She had loved living in New York. There was so many different people and places to experience and Christmas time was especially beautiful but nothing beat being with your friends and family.

Her phone rang in her purse and she smiled as she answered it.

“Hi, I know I’m late, I’m sorry I got held up with Maria” she explained, “but I’m on my way” she promised him.

She could tell by the tone of his voice that he was slightly annoyed with her. He hated it when she was late which she often was. Liz just hoped that he wouldn’t be able to stay crank with her after he saw her n the new dress she had bought for the night after he had insisted that it was a special night for them.

She manoeuvred the car into the space and checked her makeup one last time before quickly rushing onto the kerb and towards the entrance. She almost had her hand on door when she felt herself lose her footing on the icy footpath and she was sure that she was about to fall hard and embarrassingly into the concrete.

“It's alright, I’ve got you” a smooth voice told her as strong arms helped straighten her back onto her heels that she was now sure were too high for this weather.

“Oh god, thank you so much” she breathed out before finally raising her eyes to her saviour.

“You’re welcome” he smiled just before his face registered hers.

“Liz...”he whispered in surprise.

“Max...” she replied her own shock evident.

We were both young when I first saw you.
I close my eyes and the flashback starts:
I'm standing there on a balcony in summer air.

See the lights; see the party, the ball gowns.
See you make your way through the crowd
and say hello;

little did I know

That you were Romeo; you were throwing pebbles,
and my daddy said, "Stay away from Juliet."
And I was crying on the staircase,
begging you, 'Please, don't go.'"

Of all the places and of all the people of course it had to be Max Evans that had come to her rescue.

“What are you doing here?” “When did you get back in New York?” they both asked at the same time.

Max couldn’t stop staring at her. It had been three years since he had stood face to face with Liz Parker and he always imagined there reunion would be different to the one he was experiencing.

Liz couldn’t get her mouth to work properly. Although she figured she would see him eventually she hadn’t thought it would be so soon, or so random.

They both opened their mouth to speak when someone beat them to it.

“Max what’s taking so long?”

Max turned to the women who had stepped up next to him. “Um I’m sorry, Kat this is Liz Parker, Liz this is Kat, my girlfriend” Max introduced.

“Hi Kat” Liz smiled at the beautiful red head that stood next o Max. They made a gorgeous couple. “I’m sorry to have kept him but he just saved me from eating the pavement. I shouldn’t wear such high shoes” she tried to joke.

“Its fine” Kat smiled but it was obvious to all of them that she knew who Liz was and that it was polite at best. “We should go inside Max” she told him.

“I should too” Liz nodded, “my date is waiting for me” she added.

Max held the door open for both women before walking in behind them. The awkwardness was stifling.

And I said,
"Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone.
I'll be waiting; all there's left to do is run.
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
it’s a love story - baby just say 'Yes.'"

So I sneak out to the garden to see you.
We keep quiet 'cause we're dead if they knew.
So close your eyes; escape this town for a little while.
'Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter,
and my daddy said "Stay away from Juliet,"
But you were everything to me; I was begging you, 'Please, don't go,'"

And I said,
"Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone.
I'll be waiting; all there's left to do is run.
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
it’s a love story - baby just say 'Yes.'

Liz pretended to look around the restaurant for Adam but out of the corner of her eye all her attention was focused on Max. She could barely take her eyes of him, it had been too long and she needed time to soak him again.

“Liz!” Adam called as he approached the scowl obvious on his face.

“Adam hi” Liz greeted almost relieved that he had come to find her.

“Why were you standing outside for so long? Are you ok?” he asked worried.

“That was my fault” Max interrupted.

Adam turned his attention to Max and frowned. “Adam this is Max Evans, an old family friend and I was lucky enough that he was outside to save me from hitting the pavement” she explained. It was obvious to Max from the introduction that whoever Adam was he had no idea who Max was, or his history with Liz and he wasn’t sure if that pleased or angered him.

“Max this is Adam Rogers” Liz explained.

“Nice to meet you, Max. Thanks for helping Liz, I tell her constantly not to wear those stupid shoes” he said.

Max nodded, “Max our table is ready” Kat interrupted her voice conveying her annoyance.

“Right well we should sit then” Max agreed before turning eyes to Liz.

Romeo save me - they're tryin' to tell me how to feel;
This love is difficult, but it's real.
Don't be afraid; we'll make it out of this mess.
It's a love story - baby just say "Yes.'"

Oh.

I got tired of waiting,
Wondering if you were ever comin' around.
My faith in you was fading
When I met you on the outskirts of town,

And I said,
"Romeo save me - I've been feeling so alone.
I keep waiting for you but you never come.
Is this in thy head? I don't know what to think-
He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said,"

Liz could read them immediately and her heart sped up. They told her how he didn’t want to leave her and before she knew it she was rising on tippy toes and pressing him closely to her.

“It was good to see you Max” she said as she drew back but she meant, “I’ve missed you” and they both knew.

“Welcome home Liz” he replied with a nod but he meant “I’ve missed you too”

"Marry me, Juliet - you'll never have to be alone.
I love you and that's all I really know.
I talked to your dad - go pick out a white dress;
it’s a love story - baby just say 'Yes.'"

Oh, oh.

We were both young when I first saw you...

Liz smiled and they parted ways slowly then, Liz with Adam to one side of the restaurant and Max with Kat to the other, none of them realising the part they were playing in a love story that still hadn’t gotten its happy ending.

Lovestory – Taylor Swift
Last edited by Emz80m on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Love Story (M/L AU ADULT) - One; 27/2

Post by Emz80m »

Two

Liz couldn’t get the butterflies in her stomach to stop even after a half an hour of sitting across from Adam. Her mind was definitely not on whatever it was he was talking about nor was it on the food that sat in front of her. She had to restrain herself from turning in her seat to seek out Max.

She almost sighed in relief when the waiter cleared their plates away. Maybe they would leave soon.

“I don’t think I told you how beautiful you look tonight”

Liz did her best to smile at Adam. “Thank you” she replied. She noticed for the first time then that Adam looked nervous.

“Should we go?” she suggested.

Adam frowned. “You don’t want dessert?” he asked.

“Oh, um I guess, if you want” she replied having completely forgotten about the third course.

“I already pre-ordered the soufflé for us both” he replied sheepishly.

Liz bit her lip, she hated soufflé, but like the rest of the meal she would continue to fake it through dessert. She felt terrible for her behaviour. Until she had run into Max she had been looking forward to dinner with Adam.

They ate in silence, some might have thought it was comfortable, in the past Liz may have been one of those people but tonight it felt awkward and she wondered how seeing Max Evans for mere minutes could change her life again so quickly.

Max Evans was the love of her life. Her boyfriend her whole four years at college and the man she had thought she would marry. Then three years ago, not long after graduation, Liz had been offered her dream job; the only problem was that it was in New York.

After months of going back and forth with Max and her parents Liz decided to take the job but like everything in life, there were compromises and eventually sacrifices. The biggest and the one that hurt the most had been Max.

The first year they had done their best to make it work with quick trips when they could take time away from their busy jobs, and phone calls but as time went on they both realised that it wasn’t really working. They had less and less to talk about and that just put more and more distance between them. Liz had offered to come home and Max had offered to move but neither of them really wanted to give away the jobs they had worked so hard for and had always wanted.

It had broken Liz’s heart when they had mutually decided to break up. They loved each other but time and careers had gotten in the way and neither of them were the priority for each other anymore. Wasn’t it best to break up now and try to be friendly then for it to end badly down the line? They had thought so. But ultimately there was no friendliness because all lines of communication eventually faded into silence. There were no arguments or bitterness, simply nothing and it had been gut wrenching.

For a while Liz had been able to throw herself into her work and travelling to all the places she loved or hadn’t yet seen and eventually she had met Adam. It wasn’t like her relationship with Max but it had filled a void in her heart and she was happy.

Eventually though Liz tired of the long hours and being on the bottom of a never ending food chain. So when the job teaching at UNM came up she had jumped at the chance to apply. That was how she found herself home in Roswell and sitting in the same restaurant as Max and his new girlfriend.

“Liz...”

Liz looked up from where she was playing with her food when Adam called her name and as soon as she did she spotted the black box in his hand.

“I didn’t think I was going to be so nervous” he laughed a little as Liz continued to look at him like a deer caught in head lights.

He couldn’t possibly be about to do what she thought he was, could he? All of a sudden the idea of fleeing seemed very appealing.

“I love you Liz and when you told me you were moving back to Roswell I realised that I didn’t want to lose you, so...”

He moved out of his seat and onto his knee in front of him and instead of looking at him Liz began looking around the restaurant to see how much attention they had gained.

“Liz...” he grabbed her hand and brought her attention back.

“Will you marry me?” he asked sweetly.

Instantly tears filled Liz’s eyes and she saw Adam smile.

“Adam...” she whispered.

He opened the box to reveal the impressive ring and Liz knew he was going to put it on her finger.

“I can’t” she whispered.

Adam looked up and his face showed the shock he felt at her words.

“Liz, what?” he asked confused.

“Please get up Adam” she asked.

By now most of the people around them were staring at them and Liz felt the tears falling down her cheeks.

“I don’t understand” Adam said.

“I’m sorry” she said, “can we maybe talk about this somewhere else?” she asked hopefully. She just wanted to get away from all the stares, she was aware that at least some of the people in the restaurant knew who she was, or at least her parents and not to mention if Max had seen it.

With a frown Adam stood and shoved the ring box back into his pocket. “I'll pay the cheque” he told her before walking off.

Liz wasted no time standing and following him to the front of the restaurant, she was almost there when she looked to her right and met amber eyes that she knew so well. From the look on his face it was obvious that he had seen what had happened.

“Are you ready?” Adam asked angrily.

“The cars out the front” she whispered and followed him out to the car.

The silence in the car was almost unbearable.

“Are you even going to say anything to me?” Adam finally snapped.

Liz looked from where she was staring out the passenger side window to where Adam was. “I don’t know what to say” she whispered honestly.

“Did I do something wrong?” he asked hurt.

“No, it isn’t you” Liz was quick to assure him.

“Then what is it?” he cried.

“I, I’m just not ready for that type of commitment” she told him, and it was the truth. She wasn’t ready for that with him at all. She had assumed that their relationship would end when she left New York. The last thing she had expected was him to come with her to Roswell.

Adam was silent for a few seconds before he spoke again. “Who’s Max Evans?” he asked.

Liz licked her lips as she contemplated how to answer the question that had so many answers. “Why do I get the feeling that if we hadn’t run into him tonight that everything would be different?” he added.

“It wouldn’t have” Liz told him but inside she wondered if he was right. Would she have been so quick to refuse Adam if her thoughts weren’t so full of Max?

“Really?”

“Max is an ex boyfriend, I just haven’t seen him in a while, I was just caught off guard” she tried to explain.

“How serious was your relationship?” he asked as they pulled into a park out the front of the Crashdown.

“Can we talk about this later?” Liz asked.

“Fine” Adam agreed angrily before slamming his way out of the car and into Crashdown.

Liz closed her eyes and sighed before slowly following him inside.

Max couldn’t stop his heart from racing. It had started the moment he had laid eyes on her and only increased when he had witnessed her boyfriend drop onto one knee in front of her. He had been on his way back from the bathroom otherwise he would have missed it and he wasn’t sure if that would have been better or not. He couldn’t get the image out of his mind. The women he had once thought would be his wife was now engaged to another man.

He had to admit that she hadn’t looked all that happy about it when their eyes had met across the restaurant when she was leaving. But maybe that had just been for his benefit. They were rushing off quickly after the proposal and he could only assume it was to celebrate.

He was miserable and Kat was more than aware of it and adding to it by crying the whole way home. Max had met Kat when he had gone to work at his father’s firm after graduation. She was a great friend to him through the first year of his long distant relationship with Liz and afterwards their breakup. So she knew their story, she knew their history and she was scared, Max understood that but he didn’t know how to make her feel better about it when he wasn’t sure of anything himself. She still made his heart leap and race; she was still the only women he had ever imagined growing old with. Max wasn’t prepared for her to be home and yet he ached to see her again.

It was past midnight and Kat was asleep in his bed but Max was sitting out on his front porch. He had no idea why he had bought his phone, which was set on silent, out with him. Maybe had been hoping that had remembered their years of late night calls like he still did.

When the phone rang, an unfamiliar number he found himself answering just in case.

“Hello” he whispered.

“Hi Max, it’s me” she replied not surprised that has answered her call so late, like had been expecting her to call.

Honey why you calling me so late?
It's kinda hard to talk right now.
Honey why are you crying? Is everything okay?
I gotta whisper 'cause I can't be too loud

“I’m sorry to call so late I just...”

“is everything ok?” Max asked hearing something off in her voice.
Liz smiled through her tears, he still knew her so well.

Well, my girl's in the next room
Sometimes I wish she was you
I guess we never really moved on
It's really good to hear your voice say my name
It sounds so sweet
Coming from the lips of an angel
Hearing those words it makes me weak

“I just really needed to hear your voice” she told him honestly.

Max closed his eyes in relief; it was amazing that those simple words could soothe every doubt in his heart.

“Seeing you today was such a shock, I let myself forget how much I missed you”

And I never wanna say goodbye
But girl you make it hard to be faithful
With the lips of an angel

“I’ve missed you too, so much” he replied.

He felt like a jerk saying those words to her and meaning them so much. Kat was a wonderful person and she didn’t deserve that from him but he couldn’t help how he felt.

It's funny that you're calling me tonight
And, yes, I've dreamt of you too
And does he know you're talking to me
Will it start a fight
No I don't think she has a clue

“Do you think maybe we could get together, there is so much to catch up, to say...” she hoped.

“Yeah, definitely” he agreed.

Well my girl's in the next room
It sounds so sweet

“Liz?”

“Yeah?”

“Are you going to marry him?”

It sounds so sweet

Liz smiled through her tears; she hadn’t wanted him to see tonight.

“I said no” she replied quietly.

Right now Adam was asleep in the spare room whilst she was sitting on her balcony. He hadn’t spoken to her after getting out of the car but she knew they would have to talk everything out in the morning and that most likely he would be returning straight to New York.

with the lips of an angel

and I never wanna say goodbye

“Good” he found himself saying.

“I’ve only ever wanted to marry one person” she admitted

“Me too” Max replied

Lips of an Angel - Hinder
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Two

Liz couldn’t get the butterflies in her stomach to stop even after a half an hour of sitting across from Adam. Her mind was definitely not on whatever it was he was talking about nor was it on the food that sat in front of her. She had to restrain herself from turning in her seat to seek out Max.

She almost sighed in relief when the waiter cleared their plates away. Maybe they would leave soon.

Liz did her best to smile at Adam. “Thank you” she replied. She noticed for the first time then that Adam looked nervous.

“Oh, um I guess, if you want” she replied having completely forgotten about the third course.

Liz bit her lip, she hated soufflé, but like the rest of the meal she would continue to fake it through dessert. She felt terrible for her behaviour. Until she had run into Max she had been looking forward to dinner with Adam.

They ate in silence, some might have thought it was comfortable, in the past Liz may have been one of those people but tonight it felt awkward and she wondered how seeing Max Evans for mere minutes could change her life again so quickly.

Max Evans was the love of her life. Her boyfriend her whole four years at college and the man she had thought she would marry. Then three years ago, not long after graduation, Liz had been offered her dream job; the only problem was that it was in New York.

After months of going back and forth with Max and her parents Liz decided to take the job but like everything in life, there were compromises and eventually sacrifices. The biggest and the one that hurt the most had been Max.

The first year they had done their best to make it work with quick trips when they could take time away from their busy jobs, and phone calls but as time went on they both realised that it wasn’t really working. They had less and less to talk about and that just put more and more distance between them. Liz had offered to come home and Max had offered to move but neither of them really wanted to give away the jobs they had worked so hard for and had always wanted.

It had broken Liz’s heart when they had mutually decided to break up. They loved each other but time and careers had gotten in the way and neither of them were the priority for each other anymore. Wasn’t it best to break up now and try to be friendly then for it to end badly down the line? They had thought so. But ultimately there was no friendliness because all lines of communication eventually faded into silence. There were no arguments or bitterness, simply nothing and it had been gut wrenching.

For a while Liz had been able to throw herself into her work and travelling to all the places she loved or hadn’t yet seen and eventually she had met Adam. It wasn’t like her relationship with Max but it had filled a void in her heart and she was happy.

Eventually though Liz tired of the long hours and being on the bottom of a never ending food chain. So when the job teaching at UNM came up she had jumped at the chance to apply. That was how she found herself home in Roswell and sitting in the same restaurant as Max and his new girlfriend.

“Liz...”

Liz looked up from where she was playing with her food when Adam called her name and as soon as she did she spotted the black box in his hand.

“I didn’t think I was going to be so nervous” he laughed a little as Liz continued to look at him like a deer caught in head lights.

He couldn’t possibly be about to do what she thought he was, could he? All of a sudden the idea of fleeing seemed very appealing.

“I love you Liz and when you told me you were moving back to Roswell I realised that I didn’t want to lose you, so...”

He moved out of his seat and onto his knee in front of him and instead of looking at him Liz began looking around the restaurant to see how much attention they had gained.

“Adam...” she whispered.

He opened the box to reveal the impressive ring and Liz knew he was going to put it on her finger.

“I can’t” she whispered.

By now most of the people around them were staring at them and Liz felt the tears falling down her cheeks.

“I’m sorry” she said, “can we maybe talk about this somewhere else?” she asked hopefully. She just wanted to get away from all the stares, she was aware that at least some of the people in the restaurant knew who she was, or at least her parents and not to mention if Max had seen it.

With a frown Adam stood and shoved the ring box back into his pocket. “I'll pay the cheque” he told her before walking off.

Liz wasted no time standing and following him to the front of the restaurant, she was almost there when she looked to her right and met amber eyes that she knew so well. From the look on his face it was obvious that he had seen what had happened.

Liz looked from where she was staring out the passenger side window to where Adam was. “I don’t know what to say” she whispered honestly.

“I, I’m just not ready for that type of commitment” she told him, and it was the truth. She wasn’t ready for that with him at all. She had assumed that their relationship would end when she left New York. The last thing she had expected was him to come with her to Roswell.

Adam was silent for a few seconds before he spoke again. “Who’s Max Evans?” he asked.

Liz licked her lips as she contemplated how to answer the question that had so many answers. “Why do I get the feeling that if we hadn’t run into him tonight that everything would be different?” he added.

“It wouldn’t have” Liz told him but inside she wondered if he was right. Would she have been so quick to refuse Adam if her thoughts weren’t so full of Max?

“Really?”

“Max is an ex boyfriend, I just haven’t seen him in a while, I was just caught off guard” she tried to explain.

“How serious was your relationship?” he asked as they pulled into a park out the front of the Crashdown.

“Fine” Adam agreed angrily before slamming his way out of the car and into Crashdown.

Max couldn’t stop his heart from racing. It had started the moment he had laid eyes on her and only increased when he had witnessed her boyfriend drop onto one knee in front of her. He had been on his way back from the bathroom otherwise he would have missed it and he wasn’t sure if that would have been better or not. He couldn’t get the image out of his mind. The women he had once thought would be his wife was now engaged to another man.

He had to admit that she hadn’t looked all that happy about it when their eyes had met across the restaurant when she was leaving. But maybe that had just been for his benefit. They were rushing off quickly after the proposal and he could only assume it was to celebrate.

He was miserable and Kat was more than aware of it and adding to it by crying the whole way home. Max had met Kat when he had gone to work at his father’s firm after graduation. She was a great friend to him through the first year of his long distant relationship with Liz and afterwards their breakup. So she knew their story, she knew their history and she was scared, Max understood that but he didn’t know how to make her feel better about it when he wasn’t sure of anything himself. She still made his heart leap and race; she was still the only women he had ever imagined growing old with. Max wasn’t prepared for her to be home and yet he ached to see her again.

It was past midnight and Kat was asleep in his bed but Max was sitting out on his front porch. He had no idea why he had bought his phone, which was set on silent, out with him. Maybe had been hoping that had remembered their years of late night calls like he still did.

When the phone rang, an unfamiliar number he found himself answering just in case.

“Hello” he whispered.

“Hi Max, it’s me” she replied not surprised that has answered her call so late, like had been expecting her to call.

It sounds so sweet

Max closed his eyes in relief; it was amazing that those simple words could soothe every doubt in his heart.

He felt like a jerk saying those words to her and meaning them so much. Kat was a wonderful person and she didn’t deserve that from him but he couldn’t help how he felt.

Will it start a fight

“Do you think maybe we could get together, there is so much to catch up, to say...” she hoped.

It sounds so sweet

“Liz?”

“Yeah?”

It sounds so sweet

Right now Adam was asleep in the spare room whilst she was sitting on her balcony. He hadn’t spoken to her after getting out of the car but she knew they would have to talk everything out in the morning and that most likely he would be returning straight to New York.

“Me too” Max replied

Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Two

“Liz...”

“Adam...” she whispered.

“I can’t” she whispered.

“Really?”

“Hello” he whispered.

It sounds so sweet

Will it start a fight

It sounds so sweet

“Liz?”

“Yeah?”

It sounds so sweet

“Me too” Max replied

Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Two

“Liz...”

“Adam...” she whispered.

“I can’t” she whispered.

“Really?”

“Hello” he whispered.

It sounds so sweet

Will it start a fight

It sounds so sweet

“Liz?”

“Yeah?”

It sounds so sweet

“Me too” Max replied

Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Love Story (M/L AU ADULT) - Three; 10/3

Post by Emz80m »

Three

“You came to be pretty late last night” Kat commented over breakfast. She was comfortable around his house, that wasn’t lost on Max. She didn’t live with him but she rarely went back to the apartment she kept anymore and all of a sudden Max was feeling suffocated by her.

“Yeah there was this movie on TV” he lied.

“Oh”

They sat in silence while they ate breakfast and Max read the paper. “Are you going to see her again?”

Kat’s question surprised Max, “who?” he found himself asking.

“Liz”

Max folded the paper calmly and picked up his coffee before taking a sip. “Roswell is a small town”

“Yet you didn’t know she was home” Kat pointed out.

“True. Yes I am going to see her again” he told her honestly.

“And what if I told you I didn’t want you to?” she asked tears already welling in her eyes.

“I’d say I’m sorry you feel that way but it’s been three years and I think we have a lot to catch up on” Max said gently before standing.

“Max are you still in love with her?” Kat asked his retreating back.

Max paused for a moment before he kept walking, “I’m going for a run” he called out over his shoulder, his silence speaking volumes for Kat.

Liz and Adam ate an awkward breakfast with her parents and Liz was almost relieved when they went to work downstairs so that she didn’t have to put on an act any longer.

“Are you ready to talk to me?” Adam pounced the minute they were out the door.

Liz sighed but nodded slowly.

They sat across from each other on the couch and Liz waited for Adam whilst he was apparently waiting for her.

“You wanted to talk?” Liz asked.

Adam frowned. “I think you at least owe me an explanation Liz. I humiliated myself last night”

“You’re right. I’m sorry” she agreed. “But what I told you last night was the truth. I’m not ready for that type of commitment with you Adam. I don’t think we’ve known each other long enough, I don’t think we’re at that place”

“So it has nothing to do with your ex?” he asked not at all convinced.

“No” Liz denied.

“How long were you together?” he asked.

“I’ve know Max most of my life, our family are friends, we went to high school together but we didn’t start dating until college. We were together four years” she explained.

Adam’s eyebrows shot up, “why did you break up?” he asked.

“Because I moved to New York for work and Max went to work with his father’s firm here. We tried the long distance thing but after a year we both agreed that it wasn’t really working and we broke up”

There was silence between them for a while as Adam contemplated what Liz had told him. He wondered why Liz had never told him about Max, they had discussed passed relationships and she had alluded to having exes when clearly there was only one.

“Were you in love with him?”

“Yes” Liz replied, “I wouldn’t have been with him for four years if I wasn’t”

“If you hadn’t moved to New York would you have married him?”

“If he had asked, yes” she replied honestly.

“But you’re saying he had nothing to do with you saying no to me last night? You’re not still in love with him?” he asked.

“I’m not saying that seeing him unexpectedly wasn’t a shock, it was” she replied.

Adam was more that aware that she had dodged answering the most important part of his question. He appreciated her being honest with him but right now he didn’t believe for a second that Max Evans wasn’t the very reason he wasn’t engaged to the women he loved.

“Do you still love him?” he asked again.

“Maybe” Liz whispered.

“And me?” he gulped.

“Of course I do” she replied but her eyes told the whole story. “But you don’t want to marry me do you? It’s got nothing to with being ready”

Liz bit her lip, “what I said is true but right now I can’t say if I will ever be ready to marry you”

Adam stood slowly and Liz watched.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“I’m going to pack” he replied, “I’m going home”

Liz followed him to the guest room and watched as he began repacking his suitcase.

“Are you going to ask me to stay?” he asked hopefully.

“I would like to but right now I’m confused” she admitted.

“Your still in love with him and the minute you saw him it was all over for us wasn’t it?” he asked.

Liz wished she could answer differently but she couldn’t. Slowly she nodded.

“Does he feel the same?”

“I think so, I have to talk to him” she replied.

With a final nod Adam went back to packing and an hour later he was in the car on his way out of Roswell leaving Liz sitting in her parent’s apartment in shock. She hadn’t expected things to turn out any differently with Adam. She had always intended to be honest with him, but she was surprised that he had gone without a fight. It just reaffirmed that she had made the right decision in saying no. They weren’t in love, not really. If he had loved her the way a man loved a women he was going to marry then he would have fought for her wouldn’t he?

Liz’s thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door. She opened slowly and frowned at the person on the other side.

“We need to talk” Kat told her as she pushed her way into the apartment uninvited.

“By all means come in” Liz said sarcastically.

“Kat right?” Liz asked as she sat down on the couch and waited for Kat to follow.

“Right and you are Liz Parker, Max’s ex girlfriend” she replied.

“What can I do for you?” she asked even though she was pretty sure she knew what she was there for.

“I want to know what your intentions are?” she asked.

“Excuse me?” Liz asked.

“Why are you here, in Roswell?” Kat snapped her patience quickly fading.

“I think the real question you want to ask is if I’m here for Max” Liz told her, “I came home because I missed my friends and family, I have a job at UNM”

“You didn’t answer the question” Kat snapped.

“Your fake one or the real one?” Liz smiled a little amused at how easy she was pushing this women’s buttons.

“Max is with me. We’ve been together for a year. I was the one that was there for him when you left him for New York and broke his heart and I’m there for him now. You’ve had your chance and you blew it so I’d appreciate it if you’d leave him alone”

“With all due respect Kat, you know shit about Max and me” Liz replied angrily. She wasn’t going to let this woman paint her as the bad guy. She and Max had made all their decision together, for better or worse. They had broken their own hearts.

“Really?” she smirked. “I’ve known Max for years; I was there for him through everything”

“If you were so confident in your relationship you wouldn’t be here” Liz pointed out quickly smothering any smugness.

Annoyed, Kat stood, “Just stay away from him” she growled before she stormed out of the apartment.

Max was sitting on the couch waiting patiently when Kat entered.

“Hi” she smiled and leant in to kiss him.

“Where have you been?” Max asked curiously.

“Just out” she smiled.

“Can you sit down?” Max asked.

“Sure” she replied. “What’s up?” she asked. Surely Liz hadn’t been on the phone to him already right?

“We need to talk” Max said nervously. He hated hurting people but he knew that if he didn’t break up with Kat now that he would just end up hurting her more in the long run.

Kat frowned. “What about?”

“I’m so sorry Kat but I can’t be with you any more” Max whispered.

“What?” she choked. “I don’t understand”

“I don’t want to hurt you, I care about you so much, but if I let this go on I'll end up hurting you a lot more”

“Is this about Liz?” she cried.

“Yes” he nodded.

“You’re going to get back together with her?” she asked in disbelief.

“If she’ll have me” he replied.

“But why, she broke your heart, all I’ve ever done is love you” she cried.

“I know that’s why I hate that I have to do this. But you’re wrong about Liz, we broke each other’s hearts because we just weren’t ready three years ago, but now we’re older, wiser and I have to believe that everything will be different because we belong together. I can’t see myself being happy forever with anyone but her”

Kat continued to cry and Max stood slowly. “I’m so sorry Kat” he whispered before he slowly walked to the door and with a final regretful look he left.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Love Story (M/L AU ADULT) - Four; 16/3

Post by Emz80m »

I hope you enjoyed this guys :D

Four

Yes, yeah we're movin' on
Looking for direction
Mmm mm we've covered much ground
Thinking back to innocence
I can no longer connect
I don’t have a heart left to throw around

Liz hesitated as she stood outside the oak door wondering if she was doing the right thing by being there. She had gotten his address from Maria, it hadn’t been easy, it had cost her an hour of explanation over ice cream but eventually her best friend had told her his address. Now all there was to do was knock.

Inside Max sat on his couch, cell phone in hand contemplating whether he should ring her. He had packed up Kat’s things that afternoon and they sat in a box near the door so he could give them back to her. So was it wrong that he was already aching to call another woman?

Finally Liz raised her hand and knocked quietly on the door. She was sure he wouldn’t be home and hardly waited a few second before she began backing down the stairs. She had almost turned around to flee back to her car when the door opened and Max stepped out.

Oh, and time moves on like a train
That disappears into the night sky
Yeah, I still get a sad feeling inside to see the red tail lights wave goodbye

“Liz?”

“Max, hi” she greeted nervously.

They stared at each other for a few seconds before Max broke out in a grin. “I was just going to call you” he told her showing her the phone in his hand.

Liz smiled then too. “Really?”

“Really” he nodded before stepping aside, “come on in” he told her.

His placed was exactly what she had expected from him. It was manly but homely and she knew that his sister had a hand in some of the things she could see and this made her laugh.

“What’s so funny?” he asked curiously. His eyes were devouring her, taking in all the changes and remembering all the things that were the same.

“I’m just wondering how many arguments you had with Isabel over this statue?” she grinned.

Max rolled his eyes, “a lot”

We'll grow old together
We'll grow old together
And this love will never
This old love will never die

Silence fell between them as they both contemplated where to start. In the end it wasn’t words that were needed. Neither of them remembered who had made the first move but when Max pressed Liz into bed and covered her body with his, as his mouth made love to her, Liz swore she had died and gone to heaven.

She still tasted the same. It amazed Max that after all these years she still tasted and smelt the same as he remembered and he couldn’t get enough of her. He devoured her mouth as his hands filled themselves with her breasts.

“Oh Max” she sighed.

Clothes melted away as their hands re-explored bodies that they had once known so well.

“You are the most beautiful woman in the world” Max whispered as his mouth cherished her breasts.

He brought Liz to the brink of her peak with his mouth before he moved down her body and finished her off.

Well money slips into your hands
And then slips out like it was sand
And those shoes that you could never seem to fill
I've chased so much and lost my way
Maybe a face for every day
That so casually slipped me by

Liz wasted no time flipping them over to return the favour. Her mouth trailed his body licking and kissing every muscle, “You are amazing” she whispered, “I’ve missed you, I’ve missed this” she told him.

“Me too, let me know you how much” he pleaded.

Liz rose above him and sunk down slowly. They both moaned when they were completely joined again.

“Oh Max”

“Ah Liz!” Max cried.

They rocked together like practised lovers, each knowing exactly what to do to drive the other over the top before starting all over again. They made love for hours before they finally sunk into the sheets together, sated and exhausted.

Oh, time moves on like a train
That disappears into the night sky
Yeah, I still get that sad feelin' inside to see the red tail lights wave goodbye

With her head resting on Max’s chest, “I’m sorry about last night” Liz finally blurted out. “I shouldn’t have called you like that, I mean I shouldn’t have called you so late” she stumbled over her words.

Max stepped forward and reached out for her hand, “I’m glad you did” he whispered.

“I broke up with Adam, he’s gone back to New York” Liz told him.

It was obvious that Max wasn’t worried about her boyfriend, or his girlfriend after what they had shared but Liz wanted him to know that she had come for him that night free and clear.

Max wasn’t surprised, he knew that Liz wouldn’t have come to him if she wasn’t free but he was happy to hear her say the words. “You did that for me?” he asked in awe.

We'll grow old together
We'll grow old together
And this love will never

Liz lifted her head until she could see his face, his eyes. “Don’t you get in Max? Do you get what you are to me, what you’re always going to be, you’re the love of my life, there is never going to be another you for me”

Max brought her hand to his mouth and kissed it sweetly.

“I broke up with Kat” he whispered.

“What?” Liz gasped.

“I said...”

“I heard what you said, I’m just...wow really?” she asked in shock.

“It's always been you for me Liz” Max whispered, “You’re the only women I have ever wanted to spend the rest of my life with” he declared.

Max wondered why they couldn’t have said these things to each other two years ago. How had they both become blinded by their new lives and careers that they stopped cherishing the wonderful relationship they had.

Now he was grateful that they were being given a second chance, he however hated that people were being hurt by them coming back together.

Liz closed her eyes and smiled. “God Max this is crazy, what are we going to do?” she asked.

“I was thinking we could live happily ever after?” he suggested hopefully.

Liz felt tears fill her eyes. “I like the sound of that” she agreed.

Morning comes
Sometimes with a smile
Sometimes with a frown
Yeah so I never want to worry
If you're gonna stay around

“Promise me that we’ll never be apart again?” Liz asked after a little while of laying the dark in silence.

“Never again” Max agreed kissing her forehead. “This is it for us Liz; we’ll make it work not matter what happens because I’m just not happy with out you”

He had tried his best to make a life without her, he had thrown himself into his relationship with Kat and almost convinced himself that he could be happy with her then one glance at Liz and it had all flown out the window. He wished he could be sad about it but the truth was, Liz was the love of his life and no matter how much time passed, she was the one he was meant to be with.

“Me either” Liz agreed.

Liz knew that deep down she had tried to love Adam. He had been a good man who had treated her well but there had never been any spark between them. Nothing exciting or passionate. They had been comfortable, he was like a best friend and that was safe for Liz. With Adam she couldn’t get hurt like she had with Max.

“I love you Max” she whispered.

“I love you to Liz” he replied holding her tighter

So let's grow old together
Baby you and I will
We'll grow old together yea
And this love will never

Yes, yeah we're movin' on
Movin' right along

Liz let her eyes close and had almost drifted off to sleep when Max’ voice pulled her back.

“Liz?”

“Hmm?”

“I want to grow old with you, will you marry me?”

She sat up with a start, eyes completely wide and as soon as she saw his face she knew he was serious.

“Yes!” she cried and leapt into his arms.

“I should have asked you three years ago” he whispered as he pulled away and got out of bed to retrieve something from his closet.

Liz gasped when he returned with a ring box. “Is that what I think it is?”

“I’ve had this for you for a long time” he admitted.

Liz was trembling as he removed the ring from the box and slid on his finger.

“Oh my god, this is going to be quite a story to tell our grandchildren” she laughed as she admired the ring, tears filling her eyes.

“A love story, Liz. Our love story” Max agreed before leaning in and sealing their lips in a kiss, “and like all good love stories Liz, we’re going to get our happy ending”