The Art of Seduction (AU, M/L, K/T ADULT) Epilogue 8/Sept/10

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: The Art of Seduction (AU, M/L, K/T ADULT) Chpt 34 24/Aug/10

Post by Janetfl »

Well this is our last chapter before the epilogue. KJ and I would like to thank everyone who read this and we hope you enjoy the ending. Special thanks to Lou our beta reader for sticking with us through everything! Thanks to everyone who left feed back.

Ellie
Ashita
Carolyn
Rosy
Vanessa
Eve x 2
Ginger
Carrie x 2
roswell3053

Chapter 34

It had been two months since Morty was finally released from the hospital. Amy had thrown a very happy but very short welcome home party for him. He was doing well with the ICD and a few lifestyle changes, even though he complained about it a lot, even more than usual. Kyle made sure that he visited Morty at least twice a week. He always took Tess with him because he knew how much Morty enjoyed her company. She always managed to make him laugh, which was a miracle. Oh Morty had smiled before but Kyle couldn’t remember him ever roaring with laughter like he did with Tess.

After they’d shared that passionate kiss in the hospital, Kyle decided to take Morty’s and begrudgingly Liz’s advice. It didn’t matter how they met there was no way Kyle was letting Tess walk out of his life, not now. It had taken a while for Lonnie to come around but once she’d gotten to know Tess better she realized that she was just as down to earth as the rest of them. Lonnie was also surprised to find an ally within Liz. She accepted Lonnie warts and all and she’d spent some time with them at Max’s house.

Kyle and Tess’ relationship had become serious and that’s what brought them to this point.

“So Tess, are you sure you want to do this?” asked Kyle, as he looked at the building looming before him.

“Definitely,” said Tess.

They both got out of the car and headed towards the mansion. Kyle could feel the nervous energy coming off Tess as they approached the door. Turning towards her he could see that slight tremors were running through her body. He gently took her hand and turned her towards him.

“It’s going to be okay Tess, don’t worry about it.”

“You don’t know my father Kyle. I have a feeling this isn’t going to go over too well.”

“Then we’ll deal with it, okay. You have nothing to worry about.”

“Why on earth would a kind and loving guy like you fall for a girl like me?”

“The greatest wisdom is seeing through appearances. I could see through your blonde airhead, spoiled rich girl appearance the second you walked into my store. What I saw was someone who was hurt, lonely and just wanted to be loved for who she was not what she had.”

“Isn’t it funny how things turn out. If it wasn’t for Liz asking me to go into the bookstore we never would have met.”

“Remind me to thank Liz next time we go out on a double date,” smiled Kyle. “You feeling a little better now?”

Tess realized what Kyle had done.

“How do you always manage to calm me down without me really knowing it?” wondered Tess.

“The greatest goodness is a peaceful mind,” said Kyle, quoting one of his favorite Buddha quotes.

Tess just rolled her eyes.

“Come on Buddha boy let’s get this over and done with,” said Tess as she opened the door with her key.

As soon as they stepped into the grand reception room, Tess noticed Charles carrying a tray towards the study.

“Well I guess that means he’s home,” whispered Tess.

Charles noticed movement out of his peripheral vision and turned to look.

“MISS! I didn’t know you were coming back today. How are you?” asked Charles as he approached the couple.

“Charles, I want you to be the first to meet my Kyle. This is who I’ve been spending most of my time with.”

Charles gave Kyle a scrutinizing gaze as the man held out his hand.

“Hold on just one second,” said Charles. He turned around, entered the study and then returned after delivering the tray. He held his hand out to Kyle.

“Sorry about that. It’s a pleasure to meet you sir,” said Charles, shaking Kyle’s hand.

“You too Charles, I’ve heard so much about you,” said Kyle.

“Really?” said Charles turning to look at Tess.

“I can’t thank you enough for always being there and supporting her,” replied Kyle.

“Well I hope you realize that falls on your shoulders now sir. Look after her for me.”

“I will.”

“I have something I want to discuss with you later Charles but I have a feeling that after I’ve spoken to my father I may not be back here again. Do you have a number I could privately contact you on?”

“Of course Miss. I may be old but I keep up with the times. I have a mobile that you can contact me on. Here,” replied Charles as he handed Tess a card with his mobile number on it. Although he was wondering what she could possibly want to talk to him about.

“Thank you. Is my father in the study?”

“Yes Miss, he is.”

“Are you ready,” asked Tess, turning towards Kyle.

“As I’ll ever be.”

“Wish us luck Charles,” called Tess, over her shoulder as they made their way towards the study.

“I think you’re going to need it,” whispered Charles.

Tess knocked on the door and entered without waiting for a reply.

“I thought I told you I didn’t want to be disturbed Char...” Ed Harding’s words froze as he took in the sight before him. “Tess? I thought you were out for the day?”

“Actually DAD," Tess rolled her eyes at her father's level of obtuseness when it came to her life. "I’ve not been here for the past few weeks but that’s not important right now. I would like you meet Kyle.”

Kyle held out his hand.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, sir.”

Now although Kyle couldn’t stand the sight of the man because of how he had treated Tess all those years, he decided that he would still be respectful to him. For one, he was Tess’ father no matter how incompetent he might have been for the job and secondly, he knew that Tess was hoping everything would turn out okay, although he seriously doubted it.

Ed Harding was looking at Kyle as if he was something stuck on the bottom of his shoe. He gave him a hard look and noticed that he was wearing a t-shirt, jeans and boots. What was he, the hired help?

“What’s this all about?” said Ed, turning towards his daughter with a scowl on his face. He deliberately didn’t even attempt to shake the man’s hand.

“Daddy, this is Kyle my boyfriend.”

Kyle, once again, held out his hand.

Ed just looked at it and then turned back towards Tess.

“This is your boyfriend? Surely you can’t be serious?”

“Daddy please, Kyle is a successful business man! He owns his own bookstore in...”

Ed slammed a hand down on his desk making both Kyle and Tess jump.

“I DON’T GIVE A DAMN IF HE OWNS A BOOKSTORE IN RODEO DRIVE! Tess, we are the Hardings; we hire people like him to clean our cars or pools, we certainly DON’T DATE THEM!”

“Are you SHITTING ME!” yelled Tess.

“SEE! He already has you cussing like the trailer trash he is! He’s no good for you!”

“Tess,” Kyle placed a hand on her arm to calm her. He knew her father would probably say something along the lines that he already had. He had prepared himself for it and was in no way bothered about the man standing before him. If he didn’t respect him then his opinion meant nothing to Kyle and he didn’t want Tess to lose her father over it.

“For your information FATHER I’ve been cussing for years! You would know that if you were ever around to hear it. Kyle has more honor, humility, love and loyalty than you will ever have in your entire life! He saw past all the money and persona and loves me for ME!”

“More like your money you imbecile,” spat Ed.

“Actually Mr. Harding I’m not interested in your money. I'm not big into material possessions and so I have more than enough to live a very comfortable life.”

“You,” sneered Ed, pointing a finger at Kyle. “...do not know what you are getting yourself into. Do you honestly think you can keep a woman like my daughter happy? She’s used to the finer things in life. Can you afford to take her to Paris once a month?! Or pay for her to spend twenty thousand dollars in one shopping spree? I think not. It wouldn’t take her long to see you for the failure that you are and come crawling back here. I think you are in for a rude awakening young man.”

Tess just shook her head as tears started to run down her face.

“Is that how you see me? That I would only care about how much a person could spend on me? Actually you know what, don’t answer that. That might have been what I was like before I met Kyle but that's NOT the person I am anymore. But you don’t see me at all do you father? All this time the only thing I ever wanted was your attention and love, not money, expensive gifts or holidays. I just wanted you to notice me.”

“What are you talking about you stupid girl. I notice you! I think about you, that’s why I bring presents home when I’ve been away you ungrateful little brat. Have I not given you everything you’ve ever wanted?”

“Yes dad, you've given me everything that I ever 'wanted', but nothing that I needed! Just having you ask ONCE how my day had been or what I was up too while you were gone on one of your numerous business trips would have been better than any jewellery, furs or flashy car you brought back for me! But you know what? Kyle does see me. He does care about me and that’s why I love him. He understands me, never makes any demands on me and accepts me for who I am.”

“Oh I’m sure he does when he knows that you’re an heiress to an entire fortune! What about all your friends Tess? They won’t want to be around you when they find out that you’re with this, this man.”

“Then they aren’t really friends, besides the only person I really care about is Liz and she loves Kyle.”

Ed turned his icy glare onto Kyle.

“Do you really think that she'll be happy and stay with you for long when you can’t treat her like she's accustomed to?! ”

"You know sir," sighed Kyle doing mental chants in order to keep his temper under control. He was going to be the bigger man here and keep his cool. "There are many things in this world much more important than money. Love being the main one..." Kyle turned and smiled at Tess and was rewarded with a smile from her in return. "...the others being forgiveness and friendship..."

"Oh, save me this bleeding heart crap," Ed rolled his eyes before turning his glare at Tess. "Young lady, I want you to know that if you go through with this, if you keep this 'person' in your life then you will no longer be welcomed here, nor will you ever get any money from me!"

“Is that a threat dad?” asked Tess getting redder in the face by the minute. "Are you telling me that you actually hate the fact that I love Kyle so much that you'd rather throw me out of your life than let me have him in it?"

“It’s not an underlying threat Tess. If you proceed with this, so called relationship then I will cut you off so fast your head will spin!”

“And that’s your final word?” asked Tess.

“Yes.”

“Then I guess I’m not your daughter any more. Come on Kyle let’s get out of here,” said Tess, making her way towards the door.

“I’M WARNING YOU TESS. I’LL DO IT. I’LL CUT YOU OFF!”

Tess stopped at the door to look at her dad one last time.

"And I'M telling you dad that I don't give a flying FUCK if you do or not! Come on Kyle let's go!" Tess grabbed Kyle's hand and was trying to pull him out the door. Kyle gently padded her hand with his other to make her stop and then he turned to look at Tess' father.

“You know what Mr. Harding? I really feel sorry for you.”

“What? YOU feel SORRY for ME?” he asked incredulously.

“Yes sir I do. The tongue, like a sharp knife, kills without drawing blood.”

“WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN!” shouted Ed.

“It means that YOU killed the relationship you had with your daughter today with your sharp words and threats. You are going to die one very lonely old man. What good is all this...” asked Kyle, waving his hand around the room. “...if you don’t have anyone to share it with.”

“Do you really like all this drivel he’s sprouting Tess? He doesn’t have a clue about the real world.”

“Kyle don’t, he’s just not worth it,” said Tess as she opened the door to leave.

“I think it’s you who have failed to realize something Mr, Harding. If you had paid more attention to your daughter and your finances, you would have noticed that Tess hasn’t taken a penny from you in the last two months. She’s been supporting herself and doing a wonderful job at it I might add. So you see she doesn’t need your money. So what else do YOU have to offer HER?”

With that parting shot Kyle turned and walked out the room with Tess on his arm and quietly closed the door. Ed Harding was left totally speechless.

When they got outside and into the car Kyle turned to Tess.

“Are you okay? I know that didn’t quite go how you hoped it would.”

“I’m not really sure how I feel right now to be honest.”

“Well do you think we should have told him?” asked Kyle.

“No. We made the right decision. I didn’t want that clouding his judgement. I wanted to see the real reaction and I think I got that today.”

“I’m sorry Tess. That must be difficult to handle.”

“Actually, I feel like a great weight has lifted from my shoulders. I would never have known the truth if he knew.”

“We’re going to be okay Tess. I’m going to make sure of that.”

“I know Kyle. I love you,” said Tess, leaning over to give Kyle a brief but passionate kiss. “Thank you for coming with me today.”

“Tess I'll always be by your side." Kyle gave her that goofy smile of his that made her heart melt. "You don't even have to ask, I'll always be there."

“Take me home please Kyle,” whispered Tess.

Kyle started the engine, looked back at the mansion one last time and then drove off. Neither of them noticed Charles looking out the window of the servants’ quarters.

“He’s lost her,” he said to himself, shaking his head in disappointment. Now it was time for him to retire and enjoy the fruits of his labor. He’d waited long enough to do it. He was just happy that Tess had finally found the right man to be with. He had heard the tail end of the conversation going on in the study when Tess opened the door to leave. He had to chuckle at how Kyle quietly but firmly put the infamous Ed Harding in his place.

Meanwhile, across town...

“Are you okay?” asked Max.

“No. I can’t believe I let Tess talk us into doing this today,” whispered Liz, Tess’ words coming back to haunt her at that moment.

“If I'm going to tell MY dad about my secret love affair with Kyle then you're going to have to tell yours too!”

“Don’t you want to do it then?” asked Max, a little worried.

“Oh Max you know I didn’t mean it like that. Of course I want to tell my father. I’m just nervous that’s all.”

“Why? He seems a pretty decent man,” said Max.

“Yeah, but that was before he knew you were banging his daughter,” replied Liz in a dry tone.

Max just covered his eyes and groaned at Liz's phrasing.

"You know Liz, sweetie, I don't think that's quite the type of wording we need to use when we talk to your father."

"So you're saying I need to be more tactful?" beamed Liz.

"Yes," nodded Max. "If you're even capable of such a thing?"

"HEY!" Liz shouted as she jabbed Max in the side making him grunt in pain.

Max laughed at the look of indignation on Liz's face before a serious expression came onto his

“He’s going to kill me isn’t he?”

“Well at least he keeps his guns locked in a cabinet behind the desk. If he starts to walk towards it then I’d start running if I was you,” Liz said with a straight face.

“This is not helping my nerves Liz,” hissed Max.

It took all of her strength not to laugh. She couldn’t help it. She wasn’t really sure if she was joking or not. She didn’t really know how her father was going to react but had a feeling it wasn’t going to go down too well.

“Your father will see you now Liz,” said Serena, holding the door to his home office open. She almost laughed at the pure look of fear on Max’s face. She wanted to put him out of his misery, almost.

“Okay then, let’s get this over and done with,” said Liz, straightening her posture and raising her chin slightly. She definitely looked more confident than she felt.

“Liz! I didn’t think I would see you to...day,” Jeff gave his daughter a curious look as he noticed Max walk in behind her.

“I guess this is a business meeting then,” he mumbled as he looked between Max and Liz.

“Actually Daddy I have something to tell you.”

“Really,” said Jeff, narrowing his eyes suspiciously.

“I er, well I wanted to... I mean I need to...”

“She wanted to let you know that we’ve started dating each other Mr Parker.”

“MAX!” screeched Liz, whacking him on the arm.

“What? Well you weren’t going to spit it out anytime soon!” he defended himself.

Their antics made a chuckle rise in Jeff’s throat but he held it back.

“Okay. That’s it? That’s all you wanted to tell me?”

“What?!” asked Liz, turning towards her father not expecting that reaction.

Max started to feel uncomfortable. This was going too well. Any moment he expected Jeff to run to the gun cabinet and start shooting at him for just blurting out the information.

“I said, is that all you have to tell me?”

“Well what else would there be?”

“Thank god! For a minute there I thought you were going to tell me you were pregnant!”

“WHAT!” screeched Liz, even louder than before if that was possible. Plus, a rather nice red glow was now attacking her cheeks.

“Where did you get an idea like that from?”

Then it finally dawned on her what this meant.

“You knew? How?” she whispered.

“You don’t get to my position in a Fortune 500 company by not noticing things Liz.”

Liz blushed. “How long have you known?”

Jeff just smiled.

“I’ve known since you first came in here Liz, asking me to hire Max so the company could have a younger image. You’re not the reason I hired Max, he came with excellent credentials but it didn’t hurt him when I noticed my daughter had a crush on him.”

“OH MY GOD!”

“Look honey, I’ve gotten to know Max over the last few months. He’s a nice young man, a Harvard graduate lawyer with a bright future ahead of him. What’s there not to like? But let’s not forget the fact that he’s a HELL of a lot better than the normal rich drunk frat boys you’ve been known to go out with. As far as I could see it was a win, win situation.”

“But, but,” stuttered Liz.

“So you approve Mr. Parker?” asked Max, finally finding his voice.

“You have my blessings, just as long as you are married before you give me any grandchildren. I may be old fashioned but...”

Liz just groaned and hid her face in embarrassment.

“Dad, we’ve not even talked about stuff like that. We’ve only been dating for four months.”

“I think Max understands why I am saying this now. Am I right Max?”

“Yes sir. You want to make sure that there are no misunderstandings.”

“Exactly. Now I really don’t mean to be rude but I have to make an overseas phone call before it’s too late. Is there anything else you need to discuss with me?”

“Well no,” said Liz, still in shock.

“Okay then, let’s have Max over to dinner on Thursday and invite Tess along too,” offered Jeff.

“She’s also dating someone now,” blurted out Liz.

“Then offer him to dinner as well.”

“I will; thank you Daddy.”

With that she grabbed hold of Max’s arm and virtually dragged him out of the office.

“I think that went better than expected,” said Max as Liz closed the door.

“Yeah,” was the only word Liz could form at that time.
Thank you to the wonderful, artistic RoswellOracle for this awesome siggie!
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Re: The Art of Seduction (AU, M/L, K/T ADULT) Chpt 34 24/Aug/10

Post by killjoy »

I thought I'd drop this by and let you all see it.When I first came up with the idea for this story I had already had Morty pictured in my head and what he looked like.From the start I knew only one person that I could picture as him.....some of you may not be old enough to know this guy...some of you maybe old enough...but here's the guy I picture as Morty everytime I help write his parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Walston
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: The Art of Seduction (AU, M/L, K/T ADULT) Epilogue 8/Sept/10

Post by Janetfl »

KJ and I would like to thank everyone who read this story and voted for us in the awards. A huge thanks goes out to our beta reader Lou and to everyone that left feedback for us.

Ellie
Eve
Ginger
Vanessa
Rosy
Carrie
Carolyn
Ashita
AvalonRose

Okay so I might not have made it clear over the last couple of chapters. I'm sorry if there was any confusion but there is no more chapters except the epilogue. Both KJ and I hope you enjoy the ending.

Epilogue

Seven months later...

As his tongue delved in to the sweet recesses of her mouth he couldn’t help the small moan that escaped his lips.

“God do you have any idea what you do to me?” asked Max, as he came up for air.

“Uh huh,” mumbled Liz, as she licked her swollen lips.

“God I never get tired of tasting you. Do you think that will ever change?” asked Max.

“I hope not. Do you realize that one more month and we’ll have been together for a year!?”

“Yes I know." nodded Max.

"This is a record for me," smirked Liz. "About eight months longer than any other relationship I've ever been in!"

Max rolled his eyes good naturedly.

"Kyle and I have something special planned for that night but before you start, I’m not telling you what it is.”

A petulant pout came on Liz’s lips.

“That’s not fair. What am I supposed to wear on this night out?”

“Oh, no you don’t. You are not going to get the information from me that way.”

"Oh and just what way should I use to get information out of you?" Liz smiled mischievously as one of her hands started to slide down towards a rather sensitive area on Max’s body.

"Uh no little missy," smirked Max, as he grabbed her roving, groping hand. "You are just going to have to wait to find out."

Liz just huffed and crossed her arms across her chest.

Max just laughed at her antics. She looked like a sulky four year old who had just been denied sweets.

“Come on Liz, don’t you want it to be a surprise?” said Max, as he lifted his cup to his lips and took a sip of coffee. It took all his strength not to spit it back out. “Oh god, it’s cold. I can’t stand cold coffee!”

“Stay there Max. I’ll go and get you another cup,” offered Liz, as she stood up.

“You sure?”
“Of course, I’ll be right back.”

Max and Liz were sitting together at what was now known as the Kyle/Tess table. None of the regular patrons dared sit at that table, understanding the significance of it but even the new customers were kept away by a reserved sign, the only one in the whole bookstore.

“One refill of black coffee please,” said Liz, as she walked up to the counter and placed the cup down.

“Coming right up Liz,” said Tess, as she turned around, smiled and then started to prepare the coffee.

“Why don’t you come and join us at the table?” asked Liz, as Tess handed over the black coffee.

Tess took a quick look around the bookstore to see how busy it was.

“I guess I could take a break. Can you handle it Lonnie?”

“Shoot, I was doing this by myself long before you ever showed up here gal, besides I got my new buddy here, now shoo, go and sit with your friends. I’ve got it covered here.”

“Thanks Lonnie,” said Tess, smiling at her new found friend.

Tess prepared herself a small coffee, took off her apron and walked from behind the counter.

“How are you feeling honey?” asked Liz.

“Like a beached whale,” said Tess, patting her extremely large, pregnant stomach as she waddled her way towards their table.

“Hi Max,” she said as she finally took the weight off her feet. “Oh god, it feels so good to sit down!”

Max chuckled. “Feeling the strain of standing on your feet, while seven months pregnant are we?”

“Oh you have NO idea, but don’t tell Kyle or he will insist that I give up work until the baby is born.”

“Here you go honey,” said Kyle, as he came to sit down at the table and produced a strawberry muffin, from behind his back, for Tess.

“Oh a cupcake, honey you’re the best!” replied Tess as she took a bite of the sweet cake.

“Nothing’s too good for my girl. Anyway, what shouldn’t they tell me?”

Tess rolled her eyes good naturedly.

“Nothing, my feet are a little sore and swollen from standing on them too long.”

“I told you that you should give up work until the baby is born!” stated Kyle.

“See what I mean Max? I swear he thinks I’m an invalid!”

“Well maybe you can come to a compromise,” said Liz.

Both Tess and Kyle looked up at Liz waiting for her to continue.

“Why don’t you get a chair behind the counter so that when there aren’t any customers, Tess can sit down? That way she won’t have to give up work and you will put your mind at rest.”

“That’s not such a bad idea,” replied Kyle.

“Wow Tess, if you’d have told me a year ago that you would be married, had a child on the way and ran your own bookstore, I would have called you crazy!” said Liz.

“Yeah, me too,” replied Tess, as she got a faraway look on her face.

FLASHBACK.

Kyle had just finished serving a coffee when he turned to face Tess. She could tell that something wasn’t right from the moment they got out of bed this morning. She couldn’t quite place what was wrong but Kyle had been acting weird all day, jittery she supposed was the word she would use for it. He was doing a lot of pacing and muttering to himself.

“Kyle, what’s going on?”

“Going on? What makes you think anything is going on?” said Kyle; with a panicked look on his face. "I mean there's nothing going on here!"

"Uh huh," Tess nodded her head not believing a word he was saying. “Then explain why it is you’ve been acting weird all day, since we got up this morning. If I didn’t know any better I would say, for want of a better word, that you were nervous about something but what?”

“I, well I, oh crap!” sighed Kyle. “I was going to do this tonight, up on the roof, under a full moon with wine and candles. It was going to be romantic; at least that’s what I was aiming for.”

Kyle gently took Tess by the arm and led her from behind the counter and into the poetry section of the bookstore.

Tess looked around confused.

“Kyle, what are we doing here? I already stocked these shelves this morning.”

“I, well see, oh hell I’m no good at this stuff!” said Kyle, rubbing his hands together in nervous frustration.

Tess gently laid her hand on his arm.

“Kyle, just calm down and tell me what’s going on. I’m sure it can’t be that bad.”

“You know I still can’t believe that a woman as beautiful and sophisticated as you, who could have anybody she ever wanted, would want to settle with a lowly bookstore owner like me.”

“What? What the hell are you talking about Kyle? Lowly bookstore owner indeed,” said Tess, placing her hands on her hips and tapping her foot. “I should smack you around the head for a comment like that! I love YOU Kyle. You are the kindest, most loving man any woman could ask for. I don’t care if you own a bookstore or work on checkouts. I love you for YOU!”

A sudden goofy grin came across Kyle’s face at her words but then became nervous once more.

“Look Tess, the day you came into my bookstore...” said Kyle, before he was interrupted.

“OUR bookstore Kyle, OUR,” emphasized Tess.

“Uh yeah right, OUR bookstore,” Kyle said shaking his head. “Wait, will you just let me finish, please?”

“Sorry, go ahead.”

“The day you walked in to THE bookstore and I spilt coffee down your dress was one of the best things that ever happened to me.”

“Even if you ruined my eight hundred dollar dress?” quipped Tess, with a smile on her face.

“Yes, even if I ruined your eight hundred dollar dress. Tess please, this is hard enough as it is and I don’t want to screw this up.”

“Kyle, you’re not making any sense here. What’s wrong, you’re starting to scare me.”

“I wanted to give you this,” said Kyle, as he reached in to his shirt pocket only to find it empty.

Tess watched in shock as Kyle's eyes suddenly got so huge he looked like he was doing an excellent impersonation of an owl.

“NO, NO, NO! This can’t be happening!” said Kyle, as he frantically patted down each of his pockets.

A sudden look of relief came across his face as he felt the square object in his pants pocket.

“As I was saying, I wanted to give you this,” said Kyle, holding out the little black velvet squared box.

“Oh my god,” whispered Tess, tears starting to pool in her eyes. With shaking hands she gently pried open the box and gasped at the beautiful ring.

“I uh, well I know it’s small and you’re used to bigger, much bigger diamonds but it was all I could really afford at the moment. If you don't like it maybe I could get another job to earn some more money? Or maybe I could hit up Max for a loan...”

Tess just cried out, “I LOVE IT KYLE,” before launching herself at him and kissing him breathless.

“You don’t know how happy you’ve just made me!” squealed Tess, as she kissed his cheeks, eyes, nose, practically any skin that was available.

Even with all the squealing and kissing Kyle was still a bit nervous. “So I take it that means yes, you will marry me?”

“YES! YES! YES!”

END FLASHBACK

“Tess! TESS!” said Liz, snapping her fingers in front of her friends face.

“Oh sorry, I was just thinking back to the time when Kyle proposed,” said Tess, with a soft grin on her face.

“Aw, it was SO romantic the way you proposed in the poetry section,” said Liz, gushing at Kyle.

“Yeah, it was,” sighed Tess.

“Oh god, have you seen those two?” asked Max, pointing to the counter trying to hide his laughter behind his hand.

They all turned to see what he was pointing at. It was a sight like no one could imagine. Lonnie wearing a t-shirt of some heavy metal rock band none of them had ever heard of, camouflage cargo pants and sporting a nose ring bigger than any she'd worn before. But standing there next to her looking completely the opposite of Lonnie was Charles. He was clean cut and wearing a three piece suit that looked more expensive than some people's car!

“See’s, then you’s put this under da nozzle and press da button. Make sure you’s have da cup under there or you’s make a mess,” said Lonnie, as she slammed down the cup. “Are you’s down with that Charles?”

Charles just looked at Lonnie for a second, then down at the cup and back up again.

“Yes, I am definitely ... down with that!” said Charles nodding his head talking as if he was some teenager instead of a fifty something year old sophisticated man.

Lonnie turned to look at the others, shook her head and pointed her finger towards Charles, the whole group burst out in to roaring laughter.

“Who’d have thought those two would get on so well?” said Liz, with a big smile on her face.

“Well when you first told me about how Charles had quit on your father and how you had hired him to work part time here, I have to admit I had my reservations, what with my sister and all,” said Max.

“I know. I thought that it would take Lonnie a long time to warm up to him but as soon as he opened his mouth I think she realized that she could have some fun!” replied Kyle.

“Oh you should hear them when they get onto a serious topic! They are as bad as each other. It’s actually quite fun to watch,” said Tess.

“I’m glad you hired him,” said Kyle.

“Yeah, me too,” said Tess, as she got that faraway look again.

FLASHBACK

Tess looked around the small row of apartments. She thought they looked very cozy, small but still cozy none the less. It had come as a shock to her to learn that Charles was no longer working for her father and was living here now. The word she had gotten through the servant grapevine was that her father and Charles had, had a huge argument over something, possibly her. Much to her father’s shock Charles had turned in his notice and declared he was done working for him and was retiring.

Once again taking in the small apartments Tess could only shake her head. As far as she could ever remember Charles had always lived in a small room in the back of the mansion near the kitchen. Always ready to jump to service anytime her father had shouted. That living arrangement had also come in handy back when she was a kid and her father had taken off on one of his very long business trips.

As she raised her hand to knock on the door she couldn’t help but hesitate as a childhood memory came flooding back to her.

Flashback

A six year old Tess came bounding into the mansion’s dayroom, her long blonde hair pulled up in pigtails and her school uniform flapping in the breeze, caused by her running.

"HI CHARLES!!"

Charles turned around from dusting the table. A smile spread across his face as he looked down to the small but cute bundle of energy at his feet.

"Well hello there Miss Harding! How was your day at school?"

Tess giggled as she swayed back in forth in place.

"My name's not Miss Harding! It's Tess!"

"Well yes I know that," smiled Charles, as he knelt down to be eye level with the young girl. "It's just a show of respect to call you that."

"What is show of russ...pect?" Little Tess stumbled over the big word.

“Well a show of REspect is...” Charles started to explain but was cut off when Tess’s attention span changed to something else.

"Where's my daddy Charles?"

"Oh dear I would have figured one of the maids would have told you by now," stuttered Charles nervously. "Well you see my dear, your father left this morning, not long after you left for school. He's on a business trip to Tokyo; he'll be there for two weeks."

A stunned Charles then watched in horror as tears started to form in the little girl's eyes.

"But...but...he promised he'd take me to the movies to see the Lion King tonight!"

When tears started to flow down the girl's rounded cheeks, Charles turned to curse under his breath. He reached inside his breast pocket and took out his handkerchief.

"Now now there's no need for all of this crying," said Charles, as he used the handkerchief to wipe the tears off Tess' cheeks. "I tell you what, how about you go upstairs and have Julie run a bath for you and let her get you cleaned up and changed. Once that's done maybe I can take you to the movies to see this, Lion King thing, after we have dinner?"

Tess' eyes grew huge. "Really? You'll take me to see The Lion King?!"

"I don't see any reason why we can't," said Charles, who was then shocked when Tess ran to him and threw her small arms around his neck and placed her head on his shoulder.

"THANK YOU CHARLES! I LOVE YOU!"

"Well," an out of his element Charles nervously patted Tess' small back. “I love you to Miss Harding."

End Flashback

Tess shook her head and wiped a stray tear out of her eye that the memory had caused.

“Okay Tess Harding 'soon to be Valenti' you can do this,” she said to herself, as she knocked loudly on the door.

“Tess my dear, it’s so good to see you again,” said Charles as soon as he opened the door, engulfing the petite blonde in his arms.

“It’s good to see you Charles. I was so happy when you agreed to see me.”

Charles pulled away from Tess, gently led her into the apartment, shut the door and motioned for her to sit down.

“Why wouldn’t I agree to see you Tess? You’ve been a major part of my life for the last twenty years and your mother before that. Anyway, you said there was something you wanted to discuss with me?”

“Yes, there is. I, well, er, you see Kyle proposed to me a while back and I’m getting married in a few months time. I was wondering if, well if, I mean would you mind walking me down the aisle,” stuttered Tess.

Charles was shocked to say the least.

“What about your father Tess, isn’t it his right to walk you down the aisle?” asked Charles.

“He gave up his rights as soon as he made me that ultimatum Charles." Tess' eyes narrowed in anger. "To be honest he gave up his rights back when I was a kid. I know you didn’t have all the details but you’ve seen how he’s treated me all these years. Do you honestly think I want a man like that to walk me down the aisle, not to mention he can’t stand the sight of Kyle and vice versa. The last thing I need on my wedding day is to have my soon to be husband arrested for punching my father!"

“Are you sure dear? He may have been a total pain in the ass but he’s still your father?” asked Charles.

“I understand what you’re saying Charles. You don’t want me to regret it later on in life,” hedged Tess.

“That’s exactly right. I know what he said to both you and Kyle hurt but what if, in the future, he tried to atone for his mistakes. Wouldn’t you regret not asking him?”

“Not in the slightest. I told you that day that I wished you’d have been my father and it still stands to this day. I can’t think of anyone I would want more to walk me down the aisle than you,” stated Tess, firmly.

“Then it would be my honor Tess,” said Charles with tears in his eyes.

He noticed Tess was looking around the apartment nervously.

“What is it Tess?”

“H...how would Mrs Worthington feel about you doing it?”

For the first time in her short life Tess actually heard Charles laugh. Not just a light laugh but a gut wrenching belly laugh.

“Oh my dear child, there is no Mrs Worthington. I’ve never been married.”

“NEVER!” shouted Tess in shock. “Why the hell not?”

“I was in service Tess. I lived at the mansion for thirty years. Don’t get me wrong, there were women in my life but once they knew that I wouldn’t give up my position in service they didn’t stick around.”

“Are you telling me that you don’t have any family of your own?” asked Tess, in total shock.

“I was the only child Tess. My parents died about twenty years ago. There is no family for me to speak of,” said Charles.

“But ... but that’s ridiculous!” shouted Tess, getting more distressed by the minute. “Are you telling me that because of your loyalty to my family, you never got a chance at a happy life?”

“Oh sweet child, I did have a happy life. I watched a beautiful little girl grow up into the most amazing, strong willed woman I know. I couldn’t have hoped for more,” said Charles truthfully.

The fact that Charles had given up his life for her and her mother made her want to cry. How could a man be so selfless and then she thought of Kyle. Kyle was the sort of man who would do the same thing. She recalled the conversation she had with Kyle at dinner the other week and she realized it was the perfect solution.

“So what are you doing now that you have retired?” asked Tess, with a slight smile on her face.

“Honestly?”

“Honestly,” replied Tess. She really wanted to know.

“I’ve been going stir crazy! I’ve been golfing, swimming, reading books and anything else I can think of to kill the time! I’m not used to sitting around doing nothing and to be honest it’s driving me mad!” said Charles.

“Then I think you and I can help each other out,” said Tess, a big smile appearing on her face.

END FLASHBACK

“Well, I think we should drink at toast to our future,” said Max.

“I agree,” said Liz.

Kyle raised his coffee cup.

“To my best friend, who without her, I would never have met my loving husband!” said Tess.

“To Kyle, for showing Tess that she really did deserved to be loved and why I loved her also,” said Liz.

“To Liz, for showing me the error of my ways and for threatening to rip out my intestines and strangle me with them,” said Kyle with a smirk on his face.

“I’ll get you back for that remark Valenti,” threatened Liz.

“Hey who am I supposed to drink to!” said Max, a little miffed he’d been left out.

“Hmmm ... to Max, for finally understanding The Art of Seduction,” said Liz, laughing.

They all brought their coffee cups together and toasted to a future that they hoped would be filled with adventure, love and family.
Thank you to the wonderful, artistic RoswellOracle for this awesome siggie!