Twisted Vows to the Fairytale (M/L Teen) Complete 01/10/08

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

dreamer19

Twisted Vows to the Fairytale (M/L Teen) Complete 01/10/08

Post by dreamer19 »

Title: Twisted Vows to the Fairytale
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters of Roswell only the insanity that is my imagination. I don't any of the quotes either.
Rating: Teen
Pairings: M/L
Summary: This will be told from Liz's POV. The gist of the story is that Liz does some serious thinking about her life when the love her life is literally about the get married to one Miss Tess Harding. At the same time Liz's sister is having a difficult time with her verbally abusive husband and realizing how she wishes her life could be different. Max has a twin brother Mason who has been in love with Liz's sister Carrie for as long as he's known her. There will be declarations of love, punctured hearts and maybe even a broken nose.
a/n: Deticated to the one who has declared herself Jason Behr's eternal body worshipper. She is the undefeated champion of having him in her daydreams. :twisted: :lol:

Twisted Vows to the Fairytale

Chapter 1: Best Friends and Boyfriends

Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.
-Art Buchwald

If you had asked me yesterday if I ever believed in fate, I might have laughed in your face. I really am or was that cynical of a person. I lived a very structured way of life. I didn’t like anything to upset it. I never planned on love for two very important reasons.

1. Best friends and boyfriends just shouldn’t mix.

2. Broken sisters and lack of after honeymoon bliss.

One might think I was speaking another language but that is not true anymore. The black and white colored glasses I’ve had on my entire life have been thrown away for good. Things changed.
What happened?

My best friend of twelve years has finally decided to tie the knot. Max Evans, I’ve known him since I first started college. He had tried asking me out in our general psychology seminar, but I just glared at him. He kept insisting we go out through out the semester but I very politely told to him kiss someone’ else’s ass for a date. He just smirked and that infuriated me. One day he just stopped asking. He didn’t pay me any attention and I tried to believe I was happy about that.

I’d go to class each day with the expectation of having him hound me for a date and when it just stopped, I couldn’t have been gladder. At least that’s what I tried to convince myself of. I missed him. I missed his presence and I had no idea why. After about a week of silence, I approached him after class.

“One date,” I mutter. “But just as friends. There will be no hugging, no kissing, no fondling and none of your pathetic dribble you try to pass off as sweet talk.”

He smirked and just nodded. I had my confirmation and then walked out. However, he followed me out of class because we hadn’t set any plans. That’s how are friendship began. We went out for dinner at a local Chinese restaurant and our conversation blossomed from there.

“Why can’t we be anything more than friends Liz?” Max stuffs a wad of white noodles in his mouth.

“Very attractive,” I mutter. I can’t help but roll my eyes.

He drops his chopsticks onto his white plate, ignoring the small clank of sound they make. He leans make into his chair, stretching his arms above his head so they rest on the back of it. Then he just stares at me. I mean really stares at me. It’s so unnerving; I have to look away. I consider myself a coward, but I would never dispute that fact.

“Why?” He asks without a hint of force, but his eyes demand enough from me.

I don’t answer. I take a few strands of my long, brown hair and twirl them around my fingers. The floor has suddenly captured my interest.

“Why?”

I just tell him the truth-- blunt and forceful, “Because I just don’t want to be.”

Moving forward to my sister Carrie, whom I love with all my heart, but she only has done herself more harm than good in her life. She is three years senior to my thirty. Unlike me, she married right out of high school. When we were little, she used to dream of being a teacher.

In her junior year of high school, she met Damien Shaw. The damn bastard—but that is just how I like to refer to him. Carrie adored him. I hated him. He just rubbed me the wrong way. I swear whenever he looks in my direction he is sneering at me.

The best thing that has come out of their fifteen-year disastrous union is my loving and adorable niece—Bethany-Joy. Her nicknames are Beth-Joy or BJ. She doesn’t know about the real strain that is her parents’ relationship, of course with her being only five I wouldn’t have it any other way. She is too young to have any part of her innocence spoiled yet.

Today she is wearing a soft baby blue dress made out of silk-like material. A big darker blue heart outlines her chest. Her reddish-blond hair is swept back into a high ponytail with a satin blue ribbon. Her large brown eyes hold the most wonderful sweetness the world could ever hope to conjure up.

“Auntie Liz I have to go potty,”

My little niece tugs on the hem of my red polka dot halter dress that hits my knees when I am seated, which I am right now. I sweep some of my long dark brown hair that is covering my exposed shoulders so it is resting on my back. I notice then that my sister and brother in law never returned.

“Alright honey let’s go, then we’ll go find your mommy and daddy okay,” I reply softly and she gives me an eager nod of her small head.

“Hey Mason,”

Max’s twin brother, also the best man comes out of the men’s restroom looking happy and refreshed. He glances at the long line of the ladies’ room and whistles emphatically. The church has one female and male restroom. So right now, BJ and I are waiting behind four elderly women I deemed to be Tess’ great aunts, mostly because they each introduced themselves to us.

“I has to go bad," BJ crosses her little knees and crushes her baby blue dress with her hands forming and ‘X’ over her privates as emphasis that she has to go real bad. She looks pleadingly at her uncle Mason.

“I got it covered BJ,” He winks at her with a sparkle in his eye and then turns his attentions to Aunt Bertie, Aunt Freda, Aunt Beulah and Aunt Davida.

“Excuse me ladies,” Mason addresses the four elderly women but fails to capture their attention.

My little girl’s doe eyes start to water with frustration. Mason sees this, so he tries to get the women’s attentions again. “Oh ladies,” This time Mason has the sense to tap the closest one on the shoulder.

Aunt Davida with fringed blond bangs, her piled in a bun, turns to us with an accusing gaze. “What you bothering me about? Can’t you see I’m in line for the John?”

As you can see this one is very charming.

Not deterred in the slightest, Mason delivers his lie. “The bride is in trouble. One of her bridesmaids dumped champagne on her bodice.”

Four pairs of cataract eyesights turn to glare at him, “Boy that is not even funny. Come ladies, our gal needs us.”

With a smug smile, Mason bows allowing the little angel to make her grand entrance to sit on her throne. The sound of little feet pitter-pattering along the carpet is his thank you.

I follow the little angel, thinking how I could so easily have fallen for this one here if I wasn’t in love with his twin brother. I make the second grand entrance into the bathroom just in time to hear the little queen of the angels mutter, “Auntie Liz I’ve fallen in and can’t get out.”

It takes everything I have not to die laughing on the spot. I crunch the urge and go to rescue my little angel queen.

“You better quit being so dramatic about your life. You think everyone wants to hear how you complain about how unhappy you are. You are so pathetic. You’re lucky you even met me; otherwise, you’d end up old and alone. So keep your trap shut or I’m gonna have shut it for you. Understand?”
World meet my charming brother-in-law Damien, now who wants to help me kick his ass?
Oops, now I have a potty mouth. I quickly remember where I am and who is with; this is not the time to create a scene.

“Damien.” I speak his name to let him know I’ve arrived. Just saying his name is enough for him to know of my hatred for him. I have to get Carrie out, especially since she can’t seem to help herself.

“Elizabeth.” He grins baring his pearly whites for all the idiots like him in the world to see and pats his daughter on the head in the process. “Hi sweetie.”

“Hi daddy, what was you talking to mommy bouts?”

Reaching for his daughter’s hand, he starts to walk back to the upstairs chapel area. Keeping his eye level with mine as he walks by he answers his daughter’s question. “Just telling your mommy how much I really love her.”

I grind my teeth so hard, I’m sure I’ve done permanent damage. I turn my sister who hasn’t spoken a word this whole time. She kept her back to me. Her braided blond hair, hiccupping bare shoulders, strapless black dress, her shapely thin legs and her black pump heels. She doesn’t have to say anything to me.

I put a hand on her shoulder and she twists her red puffy eyes around to look at me. I just look at her with all the love I have for her in my heart. I want to convey to her that I do love her. She turns fully around so that I can embrace her in a hug. Not caring if any of the other guests are spying on our private moment I whisper to her, “Cry, just cry.”

That is exactly what she does.
Last edited by dreamer19 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.
dreamer19

Re: Twisted Vows to the Fairytale (AU M/L Teen) Pt 1 7/27/08

Post by dreamer19 »

Thanks to: Jake17 aka this story's inspiration, Lairabehr4, Hunter, begonia9508, and tine38

Chapter 2: Vows to Remember

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

To understand me, you must look at all the ingredients that mixed to form my experiences in life.

1. Mom and dad’s screaming matches made for two very upset little girls.

2. The horror of my first date almost turning into date rape made my fifteen-year-old self go into a permanent shell.

3. Telling myself how much I hated me on a daily basis.

That’s me in a nutshell. I met Max in college and I was almost persuaded to give him a chance.

“We’ve been hanging out for several months now Liz, I’ve been patient, but I want more. I’ve fallen more in love with you each day.”

I shake my head in denial.

“No! I told you we would only ever be friends. That’s it. It can’t ever be more.”

A freshly shaven Max, with his black hair slicked back, his light brown eyes dancing with liveliness that makes my heart ache with wanting. Dressed in beige slacks, a burgundy t-shirt stretched over his ripped muscles and his trademark black construction boots all make me direct my thoughts in a place that I could never make a reality with him. I want him. I love him; but he can never know that.

“Don’t you let your parents belittling of you stand in the way of your happiness, or your sister’s marriage. I know they have hurt you, but its time to bury it and put it in the past.”

His desperate plea allows a small ache of hope.

“You’re wrong. You may be in love with me, but I’m not in love with you and I never will be. You’re ego’s grown so big, you can’t even see that I don’t want to be involved with your romantically. I’ve told you that from the beginning.”

Max lifts his bum up to yank his wallet out. He pulls out a few twenties to pay for our meal and tosses the money on the table. My eyes follow its fall; Max’s eyes watch me, as he stands tall. “I have to go Liz.”

That conversation happened so many years ago, but it’s still vividly fresh in my memory.

After that he did the one thing, I hoped he never would. He let me go. I know I’ve been stupid, but it’s easy to get lost in your self-pity after you’ve been living in it for so many years. I want out. I want it so much.

It’s then the sound of the organist wakes me up for my sappy dream—the wedding march has begun. He’s really going to marry her. Its takes everything I have to keep my emotions in stone and not let the hotness of my tears melts them down.

I may be crying, but that’s normal at weddings. Everyone will think them tears of joy and not of me breaking my own heart. I’m not bitter anymore, just sad. Being alone is everything it is cracked up to be—alone.

Max greeted me with the warmest of smiles, he was so glad that his best friend had decided to attend his wedding.

“I’m so glad you decided you could make it Liz. I don’t think I could have handled it if you hadn’t been able to come.”

Suddenly feeling very guilty, I slap on a smile, hoping I’ll be able to untangle it later from my face. “Well I was able to get someone to cover my shift.”

“I don’t think I ever told you how proud I am of you of making it through med school. I always knew you’d achieve great things. Have you been dating at all?”

“A couple dates here and there, but they never go anywhere.” I add not dismayed at all by the prospect of not finding anyone. I found him a long time ago, but he could never know that know. I may have been a fool, but at least I can keep my pride intact.

Max deserves to be happy and Tess seems like a nice girl.

I drop my chin to my cleavage, which is non-existent. There I go again belittling myself! When does it end? For me, it never does. The self-loathing continues.

“Liz?”

We have since seated ourselves. Our bride made her glorious entrance. I turned my eyes away from him. I couldn’t bear to see how happy he was to see her. My sister tips her chin thoughtfully to the side. Carrie’s eyes slant slightly toward the alter where the current bride and groom are repeating their vows for each other.

“I’m okay.” I whisper, while reaching into my purse for a tissue. I don’t have to look her in the eyes to know she didn’t believe me, which is why I didn’t.

I sit back after blowing my nose. I catch a few glances from fellow guests, but I just shrug. They all smile with empathic smiles. The bride and groom make such a lovely couple and will be so happy together….yadda, yadda, yadda. I know that’s what they thinking.

Damien doesn’t look all to pleased. I blow my nose again even though it’s not snotty. If there’s one thing that will bring me great pleasure today, it’s pissing Damien off. Unbelievably, creating a disturbance in his presence is punishable by capitol punishment, with Carrie it’s lifetime in prison. I just hope she’s considering the possibility or parole sometime soon. I’d help her break out even if he didn’t grant her parole.

Back to the ceremony at hand, Mason, the best man, Max’s identical twin, a.k.a as Carrie’s secret love interest, is actually holding BJ on his hip. As he was walking down the isle with Tess’s maid of honor, some tall blond, BJ hightailed it out of her seat and ran to him. She caught the attention of the guests and helped my mood by snickering. I’d stood up to get her from him, but he waved me off, then smiled and picked her up, hugging her close to his side. She giggled and kissed him on the cheek and then turned with sparkling eyes of innocence toward her mother, her father and me. She waved bye with her cute little fingers and off she went to alter. With a smile, I turned my body straight so I was now facing Carrie.

“Wasn’t that so cute?” It’s actually a statement. I don’t get any responses from her strangely silent parents. Damien sneered a smile before sitting back down on the thick wooden church bench with a thud. He crosses his arms and glares at the head of an elderly man with thinning silver-gray hair. My eyes become focused on Carrie who looks so bewildered. Her eyes dart back and forth like her eyeballs became lose. I knew exactly what she was thinking. Oh how she wished she had her daughter’s tenacity to run and throw herself into the arms of her true beloved.

That was then and this is now. With all the cuteness gone, all that I can see now is a bleak future for my sister and me. I don’t know what’s become of me. My tears renewed come down in splotches. What happened next feels as if I had an out of body experience-- that somehow I projected out of my body and no longer had control.

I stand myself up, my red polka-dotted dress making the perfect focal point. There is very tight grip on my bare left arm. Titling my chin down to my left shoulder, I shake my head telling her ‘no.’

“What are you going to do?” She asks in a voice barely above a whisper. Her breathing picks up and she lets her fingers unravel from their tightness and glide along my skin until they are feather touching light.

She looks so scared. I feel okay. I’m not scared. I just want to free myself from the prison that I’ve created. I lift one finger under my right eyelid and then to my left, wiping away any remnants of tears that may still be lingering.

Carrie’s holding her breath waiting for my answer. “What I must.” I state as if it’s as simple as that.

She nods. Damien glares at me. He has the most incredulous look start to pucker its way into his frown lines--if I only cared.

It’s then I realize that I have the attention of the entire church. I stood up. I start sweat on my brow and a few unmentionable places. I am sweating for various reasons.

1. I just stood up at Max’s wedding and now everyone is looking at me to see why I interrupted.

2. Because I just realized I have to say something following my intrusion.

“Miss?” The minister questions me. An elderly black male with glasses is centered between an outraged blond-haired blue-eyed bride with a long ivory strapless gown that hugs her body in all the right places and my best friend with his jet-black hair and much lighter brown eyes than mine, have grown along with his cheekbones in astonishment. Well I suppose it’s that.

“Do you have a reason why these two should not be wed in holy matrimony?” He repeats daring me with the quickness of his voice to answer.

“Y---ahem---yes I do.”

I don’t have to grow eyes in the other three parts of my head so I can gaze in all other directions to see that every jaw in this church has dropped.

“I’m in love with you Max. I’ve always been in love with you. I just never had the courage to admit I never loved myself enough. I’m done with that. I have been for a long time, I was just too dense to realize it. I want to be with you.”

“It’s too late.” His bride smiles in pleasure, but it quickly fades when she sees he’s not gazing at her adoringly, but that his focus is still me.

“This isn’t right Liz. Please just leave us alone. You’re ruined my wedding day quite enough already.” While Tess is huffing and puffing her chest with righteous anger, her cleavage threatens to make its public debut.

I feel terrible. “I’m sorry Tess, I really am. We have but one life and I’ve wasted enough of mine being afraid. I love him more than you could possibly imagine. It’s not too late if you still love Max. It can’t ever be too late if you still love me. Please say you do.” I plead, my heart so evidently displayed for him to see.

Just when I think all hope is lost when he turns to Tess, he utters, “I’m so sorry Tess.”

With the smile of multimillion-dollar lottery winner, his joyful eyes seek me out and scream out, “I love you Liz. I’ve never stopped!”
dreamer19

Re: Twisted Vows to the Fairytale (AU M/L Teen) Pt 2 10/11/08

Post by dreamer19 »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have to say this story turned out to be exactly how I envisioned it. I'm quite pleased with myself for once. Anyway, on with the end, or perhaps it's just the beginning... :mrgreen:

Chapter 3: The Moments to Live For

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Now what?

With my heart beating so fast, I have no doubt it’s about to burst from anticipation.

“I love you Liz. I love you so much.”

Um, did I just imagine those words? Wait, he’s heading towards me now. The bride is outraged and looks ready to scream. I pinch myself to make sure I haven’t slipped into a coma because fate couldn’t be this cruel to me now. I have no time for sick jokes when I’m finally ready to start living the life I’ve always knew I deserved.

The seas of dropped-jawed wedding guests empty themselves into the isles. Everyone is moving about—Max is on his way to me.

Am I dreaming? I mean really, this has to be a fairytale.

A tremor of a hand dictates my naked back out into the isle. I could recognize Carrie’s tremor even if I was right down the street. The forceful yet supportive shove she gives me sends me skating into the isle, where I start the domino effect among three guests; one was Aunt Davida from the bathroom.

“Watch it dearie, you may be small, but your body packs a big enough punch. I almost broke my replacement hip!”

“I’m so sorry…I’m so—“ I try to gather my bearings and straighten the elderly woman I nearly bulldozed into.

I glance over my left shoulder, back to where my innocent sister raises her two collarbones in unison to signal she didn’t know her own strength.

“Are you okay?” A familiar male voice manages to worm its way in.

I stand tall. My legs quiver a bit, not certain if I should be standing on them, but eventually I realize my legs are quite strong and capable. My knees won’t give out. I won’t faint or fall. Well I already fell, but I know who to put the blame on for that one.

“We should get out of here!” I yell in a harsh whisper, grabbing Max’s hand along the way.

“Liz is this for real?” He stops me at the entrance to the church.

We are housed as he just was with his minute old bride, creating quite a spectacle I’m sure. Do I care? Not even for a second.

“This couldn’t be any more so—I’m so sorry to do it to you like this.” I am being truthful, I didn’t want to hurt anyone with my selfishness, but we have but one life to live.

His brown eyes fill with what I hope to be joyous tears. I sweep back some of his bangs that have fallen forward out of their nestled, gel state. “I’m sorry,” I stage again, trying to convey just how much so.

“I know. I’d given up hope so long ago—I’m just astonished, I just—“ He finishes his happy rant with back bending kiss.

His lips feel good against mine. Being wrapped up his warm lips and close embrace is not something I ever want to do without again. I don’t think I could if I wanted to.

Fate having different chosen path for us in the second, starts glaring its ugly head with alarming screams.

“Oh god!” I’d know that scream anywhere. Even amongst the several outraged guests screaming in horror, I know my sister’s scream. I’ve heard it too often not to.

“Carrie!”

Max is hot on my heels, we run back up the isle, the rows of benches and guest all a blur.

So many voices,

“Mason!”

“Mommy!”

“He just jumped on him, I’ve never seen anything like!”

“He’s so bloody! Stop them from killing each other!”

Mason and Damien are pounding one another, Damien taking the worst of the blows. The blood just pours out of his mouth and nose, creating a red masterpiece in my opinion. I am almost tempted to pull Max back when creeps forward to pull his brother off Damien.

“What happened?” I whisper to Carrie, who is visibly shaken. There’s something different about the fear in her eyes.

“I went up to get BJ and Damien yanked me by grabbing my arm. It hurt so badly, but I’m used to his bruising hands. He said we had some business to discuss. I know he wanted to call me a slut and all other kinds of names. He’s been a whole hour since he’s been able to.” With her arms shaking and crossed, Carrie rubs her exposed skin while finishing her explanation.

“Then what? Where’s BJ” I glance over toward the pew, looking for BJ, I spot her sitting by the large, grand piano with her little knees pull up and her chin tucked in.

“Before I could even blink, Mason was on him. He yanked him out into the central isle and Damien got maybe one sucker punch in before Mason devoured him. BJ is probably so scared, let’s go get her.”

That’s exactly what we do. As we pass the mass of bodies, Max is verbally trying to knock some sense into his brother. I keep myself tightlipped. I can’t admit to anyone how glad I was that someone finally taught that bastard brother in law of mine a lesson about how you treat women you supposedly love.

“Oh baby,” Carrie bends down to pick up her fragile little girl. “Let’s go home okay.”

BJ nods her consent.

“Why is daddy always so mean to you mommy?” My tired little niece asks with her head supported on her mother’s shoulder.

Carrie stops cold, staring helplessly at me. With glistening tears, she responds honestly, “I don’t baby, I just don’t know.”

I simple can’t bear both mother and daughter heartbroken at the expense of that husband and father imposter.

Carrie takes the lead, I almost struggle to keep up with her stride. Most of the wedding party has ended up in the back of the church, where Max and I were only minutes ago. Casting a pity glance on Damien, her husband, Carrie hugs Mason with her free arm.

I can see the surprise written all over his face and Max as well. The helpless, annoyed, and furious bloody face of Damien is what really warms my heart. Finally, things are falling into place in our lives.

“Thank you Mason. Besides Liz, you’re the first person to stand up for me and for BJ.” She pats the little girl’s head, whom has since closed her eyes with exhaustion.

“I’d do anything to help you Carrie.” With a hand in her long braided blond hair, he brings her face close to his, allowing himself a dangerous kiss of passion. A passion he no longer wants to hide.

“Do you love him Carrie?”

“She’s my wife, you bastard! Of course, she loves me. So get your damn hands off her,” Damien spits while sitting on the last wood bench in the back of the church, nursing his wounds

Everyone turns to stare that this pathetic excuse of a man. What happens next is perhaps the crown and glory of today’s events. Carrie passes BJ over to me. Max puts his arms around me. Mason tries to keep himself under control and not reveal his broken heart, though those telling eyes, it’s impossible not to see the passion reflected in them.

Carrie faces her husband of all these years--the man that stole her soul and bashed her with words and fists. “I want a divorce. I’m done with you.”

Carrie walks back to Mason, love evident in her eyes. The loving light returns to his as well. “I’m in love with you Mason, I have been for so long. I just didn’t think I could ever deserve someone like you.”

Mason’s throat tightens and he delivers in a strong whisper, “Let’s get out of here.”

As all five of us attempt to leave, having handed a sleeping BJ to a strongly built Mason, we are stopped by the puffy-faced tearing bride not to be Tess. “How could you do this to me?” She screams at Max, but I am the recipient of her blaring gaze.

Max swallows his pride to step forward. “I never wanted to hurt you Tess. You don’t deserve this. I did love you in my own way, but you deserve someone who would love you unconditionally. Eventually, we’d both realize we made a huge mistake. I wish I could have spared you pain, but I hope you are able to forgive me one day.”

I keep my mouth shut, I’ve already created enough havoc for her this day—her wedding day. Oh god, I really did ruin her wedding day didn’t I?

“Thank you Max, I hope—I hope one day I can forgive you too.” Tess departs to her understanding parents, who glare in our direction.

“You ready?” Max asks me.

I lift sturdy chin up and smile big, “Definitely.”

We can hear the sirens coming. BJ wakes up, rubbing her little eyes. “We home yet mommy?”

Gazing up into Mason’s adoring eyes, Carrie replies, “We’re so close baby.”

Max hails an arm to grab the limo driver’s attention. We all exchange smiles. The driver, dressed in proper dress attire opens up the back door to a long stretch white limousine. We pile ourselves in.

Carrie is the first to ask, “Where do we go from here?”

Each of us glances at each other, realizing that we don’t have anywhere to go yet. I answer for my sister and tell the limo driver, “Just drive.”

Resting my satisfied head on Max’s shoulder, I sigh and whisper, “When we see it, we’ll know where to go.”

This was it. This particular story ends here for me. I’ve realized that the fear that I allowed to hold myself back with, is the very thing that driving me forward right now. It’s a wondrous freedom not knowing where you’ll end up, but knowing you’ve at least started down on one.

For the first time in my life, and perhaps my sisters as well, we stepped out into the fresh air, but for quite some time I don’t think either of us will go back in.