Never Would Have Thought (complete)

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Danielledreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Never Would Have Thought (complete)

Post by Danielledreamer »

Title: Never Would Have Thought
Author: Danielle M.
Email: carebehr83@aol.com
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don't worry I don't own any of the characters . . . Roswell belongs to Melinda Metz and Jason Katims, but I can only dream of what I'd do to Max/Jason if I owned him!
Summary: Challenge from Joanne, I'll give the part of the challenge after I write it, that way you won't know what will happen! This story is totally AU, no one is an alien.
1. Max and Liz don't know each other yet.
2. Liz is at the town dance and something happens and her dad slaps her but no one sees it except for Max.
3. Liz is crying in the corner and Max goes to comfort her and asks her to dance, they dance to the following songs: Take my breath away, unforgettable and Mandy Moore's I wanna be with you.
4. When they are dancing, Liz's cheek has to be touching Max's. When Liz cries, Max feels her tears and comforts her.
5. Max gives Liz a ride home in the limo he has and she falls asleep in his lap, with her lips almost touching his.
6. Max is very aware of this and watches her sleep.
7. Max and Liz start to hang out more, cuddling on the couch and stuff.
8. One night, Liz's father beats her badly, so she goes to Max, but collapses before knocking.
9. Max finds Liz and fixes her up. She has to say how terrible she looks, but Max says how she's beautiful and he kisses her, real slow and gentle.
Category: Max/ Liz (of course!)

Never Would Have Thought
PART ONE
Liz Parker hurried home after school on Friday and into the small home she shared with her father. She went inside her room, threw her book bag on the floor, grabbed her robe and went in the bathroom. She turned on the showerhead, waited til the water was lukewarm and stepped into the tub. Liz couldn't remember the last time she was so excited. Tonight Roswell was holding a dance for both East and West Roswell High School. Liz attended West Roswell and was a Junior. She really didn't have too many friends since she pretty much kept to herself, so she was hoping this would be a great opportunity to meet new people. She stepped out of the shower and dried herself off. She slipped her robe on and wiped away the steam from the mirror. She carefully plucked her eyebrows and then went back to her room. She opened her tiny closet and pulled out the outfit she had bought for this event. She got a red halter top and a black skirt that went to her mid-thigh from Express. She also bought a pair of strappy high heels. She knew she really couldn't afford this attire, but she didn't care. She had been saving her money from a babysitting job she had over the summer. She had wanted to get a real job, but her father wouldn't let her, saying she needed to be home to clean and cook. Liz got dressed and started on her hair next. She curled it and put it up into a high ponytail and curled some strands that hung loose. After that she put some glitter over her eyelids and cheekbones and then some right below her neck. She applied her favorite lipstick and smiled at her reflection in the mirror. Liz was definitely going to have a good time tonight. She glanced at the clock, 4:45. She had just enough time to leave before her father came home at five. The dance started at 5:30 and went until 11. Liz knew that no one would show up at the very beginning, but she would have to leave the house now to avoid her Dad.
It wasn't that she didn't love her father, she did, but ever since her mom died when she was eight, he changed. Every night after work, he would come home and complain about his day. He spent any extra money they got on beer or any other alcohol he could get. He would get so drunk he yelled at Liz or sometimes hit her. That's why she wanted to leave before he got home so that way he couldn't tell her no. And when he would get home tonight and see that she wasn't there, he'd get mad and drunk, but then just forget about it by morning.
Liz stepped out of the house and started walking toward the town hall where the dance was being held. Once she got there, only a few people were around. She noticed her good friend Alex Whitman helping the D.J. out.
"Hey Alex."
He turned around. "Hi Liz. Wow, look at you. You look really great."
Liz smiled. "Thanks."
Alex was one of her few friends that she had. They sat next to each other in computer class and were both juniors.
"Since no one's here, did you want to go over to the Crashdown and get a drink? They're on me."
"Well I guess I can't say no to an offer like that. Sure."
The Crashdown Caféé was a block away. Alex and Liz sat at the counter while they had their drinks. It was full of high school students eating before going over to the dance.
Max Evans was crammed into a booth at the Crashdown with his sister Isabel and his best friend Michael Guerin. Along with them was Michael's girlfriend Maria DeLuca and his half sister Tess. All five of them lived in the same neighborhood and had grown up together. Not to mention they all were extremely wealthy. Max and Isabel's father was one of the best lawyers in the state of New Mexico, which was why he was only home once a week, if that. Their mother insisted that they stay in Roswell and not move to some big city. Maria's father was the head of an FBI unit. Michael and Tess's father was an archaeologist, and he practically had a new wife every year.
Max was sitting next to Tess. She kept placing her hand on his thigh and even though he kept pushing it away, it always seemed to find its way back there. He suddenly stopped eating when he saw a girl walk in. She was beautiful and instantly enchanted him. He had never seen her before, she had silky brown hair that he just wanted to run his fingers through and these warm brown doe eyes. He watched as she sat at the counter with a guy. He figured it was her boyfriend, thinking that no girl like her would be single. He continued to watch her every move and smiled as he saw her throw her head back and laugh at something the guy had said.
"Max! Hey, earth to Max!" Michael yelled as he snapped his fingers in front of Max's face.
"Huh?" Max shook his head to clear it.
"You were in some kind of a trance, anyway, you ready to go?" Isabel asked.
"Yeah, okay."
The five of them left the Crashdown and headed for the dance.
PART TWO
Once Alex and Liz came back to the dance, more people had arrived.
"I'm going to see if the D.J. needs any more help." Alex said.
Liz nodded and started to intermingle with the crowd. One guy walked over to her.
"Hey, want to dance?"
Liz grinned. "I'd love too."
Liz danced for the next two hours with a few different guys and was having a great time. Even Kyle Valenti, a jock in her grade asked her to dance. Just as she started to dance with a guy named Elliot, someone grabbed her arm. Liz turned around to face the person. "Dad!"
"What are you doing here Lizzie?" He asked while tightening his grip on her arm. The smell of alcohol wafted into her nose.
"I was uh . . . it's the town dance."
"Look at you. You're dressed like a slut."
Liz bit her lower lip to keep it from trembling.
Max was on the dance floor with Tess. God she was a horrible dancer. She was making him look bad. He looked around the setting. Maria and Michael were next to him practically all over each other, he wasn't sure if that was considered dancing. He saw Isabel getting it on with some guy he didn't know. He rolled his eyes and figured she wouldn't be home tonight. He continued to scan the area, he paused when he saw that girl that was at the Crashdown earlier. She was with an older man. He seemed to be yelling and shaking her. He saw her then get slapped by him. Max instantly fumed with anger. How could anyone hurt such a precious creature? He started to go toward her.
"Max, where are you going?" Tess grabbed him by the arm.
"I'll be right back." Max pushed through the throng of people, but he lost sight of the girl. He frowned and continued to walk around trying to find her. A few minutes later he found her curled up in a corner, with her head resting on her knees.
Liz lifted her head up and wiped her eyes with the heels of her hands. She felt pathetic. Her father had managed to find her, and hit her in front of everyone, embarrassing her to the extreme. Then he mumbled something about wasting his time and stalked off. No one had really noticed the scene though, which she was grateful for. So she went over to the corner to cry.
As she glanced up again, she saw someone coming toward her. She blinked hard and then looked again. It was Max Evans. He was a senior and one of the most popular and hottest guys in her high school. Her head quickly moved from side to side to see if he was walking toward someone else, but no one was around her. Then she heard the music start to slow down.
Watching every motion,
in my foolish lover's game . . .
Max was next to her now, and squatted down to face her.
On this endless ocean,
finally lover's know no shame . . .
"Hey are you okay?" He asked his eyes filled with concern.
Turning and returning,
to some secret place inside . . .
Liz nodded as she gazed up at him. "Yeah, I think I'm . . . I think I'm going to be fine."
Watching in slow motion,
as you turn around and say . . .
"I'm Max, what's your name?"
Take my breath away . . .
"Liz."
Take my breath away . . .
"Well Liz, would you like to dance?" He extended hand toward her.
She slowly placed her hand in his. "I'd like that."
Watching I keep waiting,
still anticipating love,
never hesitating,
to become the fated ones . . .
They stood up and walked over to the dance floor.
Turning and returning,
to some secret place to hide,
watching in slow motion,
as you turn around and say . . .
Max placed his hands on her waist and she wrapped her hands around his neck.
Take my breath away,
take my breath away . . .
They slowly swayed to the music. Liz had never felt so comfortable in someone's arms.
Though the hourglass I saw you,
in the time you slipped away,
when the mirror crashed I called you
and turned to hear to say,
if only for today,
I am unafraid . . .
He pulled her a little closer and she rested her head on his shoulder.
Take my breath away,
Max gazed down at the girl in his arms. She was like his very own angel.
Watching every motion,
in this foolish lover's game,
haunted by the notion,
somewhere there's a love in flames,
turning and returning,
to some secret place inside,
watching in slow motion,
as you turn my way and say . . .

Take my breath away,
Liz tried to hide her frown as the song ended and she pulled away from Max.
"Well, thank you." She started to walk away.
"Wait!"
Liz turned back around.
"Can't we dance some more?" He asked.
Liz smiled. "Sure, but uh, won't your girlfriend mind?"
"My girlfriend?"
"Yeah, the curly blonde."
"Tess?" Max rolled his eyes. "She's not my girlfriend."
A faster song came on and they started to dance.
"So how do you know about her?" He questioned.
"I've seen her with you at school."
"Wait, you go to West Roswell?"
"Yeah, I'm a junior though."
"I can't believe I've never seen you!"
"Yeah well it's a big school and I blend in pretty easily."
Max nodded and they continued dancing, he noticed that she was a really great dancer.
They danced for a few more songs. Liz was having the time of her life. Max was so nice and not to mention a great dancer. She felt so at ease with him. The song Unforgettable came on and Max pulled her closer to him than before. They swayed their hips together to the rhythm of the music. He lightly trailed his fingers down her back, she could feel the goose bumps forming. He bent down and Liz felt his warm breath against her ear. "So tell me about you Liz." He whispered.
Liz's stomach flipped inside out. "Well uh, there's not too much to tell. My last name's Parker. I love science. I want to major in Biology or Chemistry when I go to College." She smiled. "I wouldn't consider myself a nerd though."
Starting by her ear, he traced down her jaw line with his index finger to her chin and then down the curve of her neck. "I don't think that."
The song ended and a new song 'faded' by Soul Decision started to play. Liz kept her arms around his neck while Max kept one hand on her hip, the other dangled at his side and they picked up the pace.
Tess was furious. She hadn't seen Max in almost an hour. 'Where was he?'She walked over to where Michael and Maria were dancing. Tess had to practically pry them apart.
"What?" Maria asked ticked off.
"Have you seen Max?"
"I thought he was with you." Michael said.
"Well he's not."
"No, he seems really busy over there." Maria said while pointing toward the back.
"Whoa, look at him!" Michael remarked. "I didn't know he knew how to dance like that."
"They look so cute together. Who is that girl?" Maria asked while watching the two. Michael shrugged his shoulders.
Tess clenched her hands into fists. "Who does that girl think she is?"
"I don't know, but I think that's the happiest I've seen him in awhile." Michael commented.
"Michael you're taking me home, now." Tess demanded.
"What if I don't want to?"
"I'll tell Daddy you were the one who broke his favorite fabrege egg when you and Maria got drunk that one night."
Michael sighed. "Fine." He turned to Maria. "We'll have our own dance in my room."
Maria smiled. "But what about Max and Isabel?"
They glanced back and saw Isabel getting pretty involved with some guy. "I don't think we need to worry about her." Michael replied. "And Max has to get picked up anyway."
"Oh that's right."
"All right lets go Tess."
Tess gave one last look of disgust at the girl Max was dancing with and left.
PART THREE
The next two hours seemed to fly by for Max and Liz. They danced the entire time, only stopping once to get drinks.
Liz couldn't remember the last time she had so much fun. Max was funny and sweet, and she couldn't help but notice how good looking he was.
The music stopped and the voice of the D.J. was heard. "All right everyone, it's almost time for me to go. I hope you guys had a great time. Here's the last song for all you lovers out there."
Mandy Moore's 'I wanna be with you' came on. Liz wrapped her one arm around Max's neck so her hand was touching his other shoulder. Max laced his hand with hers and brought it up to rest on his chest, his other hand made lazy circles on her lower back. Liz leaned forward some so that their cheeks were touching. She held onto him tightly as she listened to the music. She never wanted this night to end, she wished she could stay in his arms forever, and not have to go back to her real life. She sighed and thought about how sweet Max had been with her the whole night, no one had ever treated her like that before. A tear slowly fell down her cheek.
Max felt it and moved slightly away from her. "Hey, what's wrong?" He brushed her tear away with his thumb.
"Nothing, it's just that I had such a good time tonight. I wish it didn't have to end."
"Me too." He pulled her closer to him again until the song ended. The lights came back on and Max linked his arm with hers as they walked outside. "Do you need a ride home?"
"Sure, I'd really appreciate it."
"Okay. Someone's picking me up." Max scanned the parking lot. "I don't think they're here yet."
"Oh." Liz replied, wondering why he didn't drive.
Max saw her confusion. "Last week my parents got me a 2001 Jeep Wrangler, they just came out. So, I drove out into the desert to see what it could do, but Sheriff Valenti caught me speeding and gave me a ticket. If that wasn't bad enough, he called my Mom and told her. So I got the car taken away for a week, and have to get picked up everywhere."
"Well at my house we have only one car, which my father never lets me drive anyway. Usually I walk."
"Oh." Max felt guilty. His story made him seem spoiled and dumb.
Liz sighed. "Anyway, my feet are killing me. I can't believe I made it through the night in these shoes!" She bent down to take them off, but Max instantly picked her up, cradling her against his chest.Liz giggled. "I guess this way works too." She placed her hands on his shoulders.
His eyes gazed into hers and Liz was glad he was holding her or else she would have fallen from that look he was giving her. He slowly started to bend his head down and she tilted hers up. Their trance was soon interrupted by the loud sounding of a horn. Max turned his head. "That's my ride."
Liz gasped as she saw a limo pull up.
"This is really embarrassing. Sorry." He said as he walked her over. "I didn't realize Mom would send the limo." He opened the door and helped her in.
Liz had never been in a limo before, she was in awe.
"Roberto!" Max called. A shield went down so you could see the driver.
"My friend needs a ride home."
Liz proceeded to give him the directions.
"Certainly Master Evans."
Liz giggled.
"He never calls me Max." He said as the shield went back up.
"I'm completely wiped out." Liz remarked as Max swung his arm around her and she rested her head on his shoulder. Liz felt so safe and warm, when she closed her eyes sleep came over her.
Max glanced down at Liz and realized she was asleep. His lips were so close to hers right now, he just wanted to close the gap between them. Instead he just brushed some of her hair away from her face. Who would have thought that the girl he saw this afternoon was now lying in his arms? But who was that man that hit her earlier, her father? He didn't want to ask her though, she obviously didn't want to talk about it.
"Master Evans, we're here!" The driver shouted.
"Liz." Max gently shook her. "We're here."
Liz slowly opened her eyes. "Hmm . . . oh sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep on you."
"No problem."
"Well, thank you for the ride. I had the best time tonight Max."
"Me too. And I definitely got my exercise for the week."
Liz laughed and they hugged each other. She opened the door and started to climb out.
"Want me to walk you to the door?"
"No!" Liz exclaimed quickly. Her father could be around. When she saw Max's hurt face, she blushed. "I mean that's okay. Thanks again Max."
She slammed the door shut and Max watched as she walked to her front door. He noticed her house was extremely small, not that that mattered to him. As the car started driving away, Roberto put the shield down. "She's a very pretty young lady Master Evans, seems very friendly."
Max sighed. "Berto . . . " He said using the nickname he gave him when he was a child.
"And I have to admit that I like her better than Tess already."
Max laughed. "I have to agree with you there."
Liz quietly stepped into her home. She saw her father on the couch, beer in hand, and was yelling at the T.V. She quickly made it to her room without him noticing her. She collapsed on her bed and sighed happily as she thought of Max. She never would have thought her night would have turned out like this. She changed into her pajamas and fell into a peaceful sleep.
PART FOUR
Liz was at her locker after 4th period on Monday when Pam Troy and Vicky Delaney came rushing over to her. They were juniors like her.
"Hey Liz!"
"Uh, hi guys." Liz replied wondering why they were talking to her.
"We saw you dancing with Max Evans on Saturday night!" Vicky exclaimed.
"Oh yeah . . . "
"So, how was he?" Pam asked.
"He was really nice and a great dancer."
"No." Pam said. "We mean after the dance. How was he, you know . . . "
Liz's face turned red. She didn't want to tell them that they didn't do anything, but didn't want to make something up either. Luckily she heard someone saying her name, saving her.
"Hey Liz."
She looked up to see Max, she smiled. "Hi Max."
"So how are you?" He felt a little uncomfortable with those two other girls staring at him.
"I'm doing well. You?"
"Not bad." He looked back at the girls gaping at him. "Well, have a good day Liz."
"You too Max."
"Bye." He gave her a private wink and walked off into the hall. He heard the girls start shrieking at Liz, he chuckled and went into his class.
"Oh my God Liz! You're so lucky!" Pam shouted.
The next day after 4th Pam and Vicky came to Liz's locker again to see if Max would show up. When he didn't, Liz just acted like she didn't mind. On Wednesday when he didn't come, the two girls gave up hope. Liz couldn't help but feel a little hurt. Thursday came and Vicki and Pam didn't come over. As Liz was pulling a book from her locker, she heard his voice.
"Hi."
She smiled and turned around. "Max . . . hey."
"I only go by your locker on B and E days when I have lab, so I can ask you this today. Anyway, did you want to come over tomorrow? I mean just hang out at my house or something? I get my Jeep back that day, so we could leave after school. If you're not busy."
"No, I'd love too. That would be fine."
"Okay, great. I'll meet you at your locker after school on Friday."
"All right."
"Well, I'll see you later Liz."
"Bye." Liz watched as Max walked down the hall. Her grin practically stretched from ear to ear.
Liz thought the hours seemed to drag on extremely slow until the end of school came. She was at her locker when she heard him approach. He leaned sideways against the lockers, his book bag slung over one shoulder.
Liz smiled. "Hi Max."
"Hey, you ready?"
Liz nodded as she shut her locker and swung her book bag over her shoulders.
Max grabbed her hand and they walked out to the parking lot. When they reached his jeep, the top was down and he helped her in.
As he drove, they talked about their day and how it went. Liz was in shock as they entered his neighborhood, all the houses were so big! She stared at them in amazement.
"This one's mine." Max said pointing to his left.
Liz looked over, his house was one of the biggest ones. It had a huge lawn with a fountain in the center. The house was white with pillars in the front and through the windows you could see an enormous chandelier. He pulled up into the driveway and got out. Liz soon followed and they stepped into the house. It was extremely clean. They passed a living and an office before reaching the kitchen. Liz didn't dare touch anything for fear of breaking it. She saw the driver Roberto in the kitchen.
"He's our cook too." Max commented.
"Good afternoon Master Evans." Roberto then switched his gaze over to Liz. "Why Miss Parker, what a pleasant surprise to see you again."
"Oh, why thank you."
"We're going up to my room, can you bring up some snacks?"
"Certainly."
"Thanks." Max looked back at Liz. "Come on."
He led her up the stairs. His room was the first one at the top. Liz looked down the hallway and could see that there was a whole bunch of other rooms. Max opened the door and they stepped in. He had a king size bed, a huge dresser and desk with a computer. Then there was a closet and bathroom. On the other side the room extended and there was a black leather couch and then a whole entertainment center, complete with a big screen T.V., VCR, DVD and CD player with huge speakers on each side. His room seemed to be as big as her house.
Max threw his book bag on the floor. "So uh, what did you want to do?"
Liz thought about what Pam and Vicky said earlier that week about going all the way with Max. She wondered if that's why he brought her here, but she didn't think so, she trusted him. "Whatever really. Do you have any good movies?"
"Are you kidding? We've got practically a whole Blockbuster." He walked out of his room and she followed him down the hall until he opened the door to reveal a huge walk in closet with videos lining every shelf.
"Wow." Liz remarked.
"My mom's kind of a movie freak. Especially when my dad's not around for a while. She can stare at them all day."
"My father does that too." She didn't mention the part that he was also drunk when he did it. She started scanning through the collection of movies.
"Oh! Billy Madison, I've always wanted to see this movie."
"It's funny." Max grabbed another movie off the shelf. Liz leaned over his shoulder to see what it was. "The Shining, isn't that scary?"
"Yeah, but it's a classic. I haven't watched it in awhile. Okay, let's go."
"Wait." Liz said while pointing to one of the bottom shelves. "What are those?"
"Oh uh, it's nothing."
Liz squatted down and picked one up. "September '86, Max and Isabel's first day of preschool." Liz looked up at him and smiled.
"Oh, those are just some videotapes of me and Is when we were little. They're really dumb."
"Can't I see one?" She picked up another tape. "How about this, your first birthday party?"
"Liz . . . "
"She stood up and grinned. "Please Max, I want to see it." She tugged on his arm.
Max groaned. "Fine. But we're not watching it first."
"Okay." They went back to Max's room and he put in Billy Madison. Just as they flopped down on the couch, Roberto walked in with a tray of food and set it on the table.
Liz's eyes widened. "That's a lot of food." There was popcorn, nachos, a couple of soft pretzels and soda.
"Oh yeah, I get hungry."
Liz giggled and reached for a chip. "Yes you do."
After they finished the first movie, Max spoke up. "Do you want something to eat?"
Liz raised her eyebrows. "We just ate."
"Yeah, but I'm still hungry. You ate all the food." He teased.
"I did not!"
"Oh please, you don't have to deny it."
Liz shook her head and hit him on the arm. "Hey, I know what you're trying to do. You just don't want to watch the tape of you."
"All right you got me, but before we watch it, you have to tell me your most embarrassing moment."
"No fair!"
"Come on." Max coaxed.
"Nothing has ever happened to me before. I've always been so quiet."
"I used to be like that too, before football anyway. I guess that kind of opened me up."
"I saw you play this fall. You're really good."
"Thanks. My dad was the one always pushing me to do it, even though he's probably only been to 10 games out of the five years I've been playing."
"Did you decide what college you're going to?"
"Yeah, I'm going to UNM and I'll be playing football there. I want to major in graphic designing or sports medicine, but I'm still not sure which one. But my dad keeps telling me to be a lawyer like him." Max sighed. "He's never around and then when he is, he thinks he's the father of the year or something. In a way I feel like I don't even know him."
"I know how you feel. My mom died of ovarian cancer when I was eight."
"Oh Liz, I'm so sorry."
Liz shrugged her shoulders. "She was in so much pain when she was sick. Even when they gave her pain killers it still hurt so much that she couldn't move or sleep. I watched her suffer more and more each day. When she died, I was relieved in a way, you know, that she wouldn't have to feel pain again. Now I like to think that she watches down on me. I still miss her terribly though. My father still hasn't coped with the loss and we've really grown apart."
Max wasn't really sure of what to do next so he leaned over and hugged her.
Liz slightly smiled. "Thanks. For listening I mean."
"No problem. You know anytime you need to talk, about anything, I'll be here to listen."
"That means a lot to me." She blew out a breath of air. "So . . . are we going to watch that tape now?" She asked trying to lighten the mood.
Max rolled his eyes. "All right . . . " He went over to the VCR and put it in. He settled back down on the couch with her. It started and the first thing you saw was a miniature Max waddling around the room.
"Aw! You were so cute! Is your sister in this?"
"No, we're 10 months apart, but started school the same year."
"Oh, you're so adorable though!" You could hear music start playing in the background.
"Max, let me see you dance!" His mother asked.
He grinned and started bending his knees up and down.
Liz giggled. "You were a pro from age one."
"You're having too much fun with this. You know that?" Max remarked.
Liz grinned at him.
Next they watched Max walking around the room, but tripped on one of his presents.
"Awww!"
Max rolled his eyes again. "What is it with girls thinking everything's cute?"
"Don't be such a baby."
They watched some more and then they came to the part where they brought out his cake.
"Blow your candle Max!"
His eyes grew wide, his lips pinched together and he looked away.
Liz broke out into laughter all over again.
Tess and Isabel walked into the Evans house. After to going to the mall for a while, they decided they were just going to have a girls night in.
"Roberto, can you make us some fruit salads? We'll be in my room."
"Will do Miss Evans."
"Thanks."
The two girls started up the stairs to Isabel's room.
"Lets say hi to Max really quick." Tess said.
"Is he home?"
"Yeah, his car was in the driveway." Tess replied as she opened his door.
They saw Max and Liz doubling over in laughter. Liz touched his shoulder. "This is too funny!"
Even Max was laughing as they watched him shove chocolate cake in his mouth.
"Hi Max!" Tess said loudly.
Max put the screen on pause and the two looked up.
"Oh hey guys." Max said as they walked over.
"Aren't you going to introduce us?" Tess asked leaning over the couch.
"Oh right, Tess, Isabel, this is Liz."
"Hi." Liz said shyly.
"Hey." Isabel said in a friendly voice and Tess just gave a fake smile.
"She's a junior at our school." Max added.
"How nice."
Liz could feel them giving her the once over. She knew her outfit wasn't the latest fashion. She just had on a pair of jeans and a plain, long sleeve blue shirt.
"Uh, come on Tess, let's get started on our nails. It was nice meeting you Liz."
Liz smiled. "You too."
Isabel and Tess walked out of Max's room and headed toward hers.
"That's the girl from the dance I was telling you about."
"She seemed okay." Isabel said.
"Yeah, but did you see that outfit?" Tess sighed. "Awful."
Isabel flopped down on her bed and picked up a grape from her fruit platter. "Tess don't be so jealous. They seem like they're just friends."
"Whatever. Let's start on my hair first."
About an hour later, Isabel was sorting through her CD's while her hair was up in curlers and her face was pale green from the cucumber mask she applied.
"Where's my new Wallflowers CD I just got?" Isabel groaned. "Max probably took it."
Tess's head immediately shot up. "I'll go get it since I didn't do my face yet."
Isabel nodded. "Thanks hun."
Tess opened Max's door without knocking. She found Max and Liz still on the couch, only this time they were curled up together. Liz had her head buried in his neck. "Is it over?"
"One more minute." Max chuckled. "It's not that bad." He tightened his arm around her.
Tess fumed with anger, Max never let her do that to him whenever they saw a scary movie. She frowned. "Hi!" She said loudly for the second time that night.
The two looked up at Tess, Max frowned and stopped the movie.
"What were you doing?"
"We're watching the Shining." Max replied. "What did you need?"
"Oh, Isabel wanted to know if you had her Wallflowers CD."
"Oh yeah." Max got up and went over to his CD's to find it.
Tess sat down on the couch next to Liz. "Having a good time Liz?" She asked sweetly.
"Um, yeah. I didn't realize how frightening this movie was though."
"Yeah, me and Max watch it all the time together."
"No we don't!" Max called out from his CD rack.
Tess frowned, she hoped he hadn't heard. "I live across the street from Max. Where do you live Liz?"
"I uh . . . "
"Here Tess." Max handed her the CD. "Tell Iz thanks okay?"
Tess sighed. "Sure." She got up and left.
Max adjusted back on the couch with Liz. "Just ignore her."
"I know she doesn't like me."
"She's just mad because I don't like her the way she likes me. So she gets jealous of any other girl I like."
"And . . . and that would be me?"
"Yeah." Max replied in barely a whisper.
Liz looked up at him. Her eyes roamed his face, they went down to his lips and then back up to his eyes. Max tucked her hair behind her ear and started to lean forward . . . They heard a knock on the door and quickly sprang apart. The door opened and a middle-aged woman walked in.
"Hey mom."
"Hi honey. I just got back from the theater with Amy. How was your day?"
"Good. Mom, I'd like you to meet Liz Parker."
Liz stood up. "It's nice to meet you Mrs. Evans."
Mrs. Evans smiled. "Please, call me Diane. Everyone does."
"Okay."
"Well have a good night you two." She shut the door behind her.
"Your mom seems nice."
"Yeah, she's all right."
They finished watching the movie and Max drove her home.
"If I have nightmares with Jack Nicholson, I'm going to kill you." She said as he pulled up to her house.
Max chuckled. "Goodnight Liz."
"Night, I had a really good time tonight."
"Me too." They gave each other a hug and Liz got out.
She quietly opened the door and walked into her home.
"Liz, is that you?" Her father shouted.
Liz froze dead in her tracks.
PART FIVE
"Lizzie?"
"Yeah Dad?"
"Come over here and say hello."
Liz walked over to their den, she could tell he was even more drunk than usual tonight because of the cans all over the floor. "Yes?"
"Aren't you going to give your ole Dad a hug?"
Liz nodded and slowly walked over to him and bent down to hug him.
Instead, Mr. Parker threw his arms up and pushed her on the ground. "Where the hell were you tonight?"
Liz's eyes watered.
"I came home after a long day of work, and all I wanted was to have dinner, but were you here to cook it for me? No!"
"I...I left a note on the fridge with the directions for you."
"How the hell was I suppose to know that?"
"I don't know." Liz placed her head down.
Jeff Parker grabbed the collar of her shirt pulling her toward him. "Don't give me that I don't know shit. Now where were you?"
Liz winced from the smell of alcohol on his breath. "At . . . at a friend's house."
"Yeah, well don't do it again." He pushed her on the floor again. "Now get the hell out of my sight."
Liz nodded rapidly as she scrambled up form the floor and hurried toward her room. She locked her door and laid down on her bed. Her father always managed to ruin her life and she hated him for it. No, it wasn't him that she hated. It was the alcohol and what it did to him. She grabbed her stuffed dog she had since she was little and cried herself to sleep.
Liz woke up early the next morning and was still in the same clothes from last night, but she really didn't care. She padded down the hall into the kitchen and started to clean up the mess her father made. About 10 minutes later he came in the room, his hand on his forehead.
"God, I have a horrible headache." He started rummaging through the drawers for Tylenol. He found some and shoved a few in his mouth and swallowed. He looked around the kitchen. "Did you make this mess last night?"
Liz nodded her head, she knew better than to say no.
"All right, just clean it up. Did you do something else wrong last night? I don't remember for some reason."
"No, we had dinner and watched some T.V. together."
"Oh yeah, that's right. I'm going back to bed."
After he left the room, a few tears slipped down Liz's face. This happened all the time, he would get so drunk he'd hit her and then forget about it in the morning. This is the story of my life, Liz thought as she threw another beer can from the floor in the trash.
PART SIX
Max and Liz started to hang out more. They did tons of things together and Liz was careful not to get caught by her father, even though it still happened a few times. Liz also learned that it only took her 20 minutes to walk to Max's house from her own.
It was the first Saturday in April and unbearably hot. Liz's father was gone for the day so she walked over to the Evans. As she approached the house, she froze at what she saw.
Max was standing there in all his glory. He just had on some cargo pants and was washing his car. Liz knew they were just friends, but god did he look good. She walked up the driveway. "I'm shocked. Max Evans actually doing work?"
Max looked over at Liz and grinned. "Yeah, I figured I might as well and try to see what it's like." She looked really cute today he thought. Her hair was swept up in a ponytail and she had on a tank top with a pair of cropped pants. In the past couple of weeks they had grown really close and he was becoming quite fond of her.
Liz grabbed a sponge and started cleaning the hood of his jeep. "So we're you planning on doing anything today?"
"I did have an entire agenda set up but since you decided to show up, I guess I'll have to change all that." Max teased.
"Shut up!" Liz threw her sponge at him.
"Oh is that the way you want to play?" He picked up the hose.
"No, Max, you wouldn't!"
"So you wouldn't like it if I did, this?" He sprayed the hose directly at her.
"Max, you jerk!" She shrieked while laughing. Her eyes landed on a bucket of water and she grinned mischievously while picking it up.
Max's eyes grew wide when he realized what she was about to do, but it was too late. Liz flung the bucket and it landed on him. It got on his face and upper body, but then there was just a little on the front of his pants.
Liz bursted out in laughter. "It looks like you peed your pants!"
Max picked up the hose again and started after her. Liz ran through the yard, trying to out run him, screaming as she went. But he finally caught up to her and tackled her down on the grass. "Gotha, do you give up?"
Liz stuck her head up high. "Never."
"Okay then." Max started tickling her.
"Max, stop!" Liz pleaded as she laughed hysterically.
He tickled her harder. "I don't know . . . that wasn't very nice of you to throw water on me."
"You started it!" Liz managed to say.
He continued to tickle her. "Okay, Uncle! I surrender!"
Max stopped but kept her pinned to the ground. "Are you going to behave?"
Liz nodded her head. A couple of trickles of water from Max's hair fell down on her face. She lifted her hand up and ran it through his hair. Some strands of her hair were sticking to the sides of her face from being wet and Max pushed them away. Liz's hand moved from his hair to the back of his shoulder, his skin was slick from the water. He gazed down at her and used his own face to tilt hers up. Liz parted her lips as his came down to meet hers . . .
They were distracted by the sound of a lawn mower coming toward them. They quickly scrambled up. Max silently cursed to himself as he saw their gardener Jose come by on the lawn mover, eyeing the two suspiciously.
"Uh hi Jose." Max said.
"Good afternoon Master Evans."
"Um, come on Liz." He grabbed her hand and they walked back over to the driveway.
"I feel all icky now." Liz said while trying to wring out the bottom of her shirt.
"Want to go swimming?"
"Max, none of the pools are open yet."
"We have one in our basement." Max replied.
"You have one in your- wait I should've known."
Max smiled. "I think we have some suits you could borrow."
"All right."
They walked inside and down to the pool. It was a good size, 50 by 30 feet long and there was also a hot tub. Off to the side she could see an exercise room. Max started rummaging through a closet and pulled out some suits. He handed them to her. "There's a few more in here if you can't find your size. You can use the bathroom over there."
"Okay thanks."
"I'm gonna change. I'll be right back."
Liz nodded and sorted through some of the suits. She found a light pink bikini in her size and went to put it on. After she did, she studied herself in the mirror and realized the tag was still on the suit. She took it off and looked at it. It was Ralph Lauren, god these people were rich. She sighed and looked in the mirror again. She took her hair down and was glad she shaved last night. She grabbed a towel and went back out to the pool. Max was coming down the stairs in just a pair of blue trunks with Nautica written down the side in yellow. "That suit looks cute on you."
Liz smiled. "Thank you."
As Max walked toward her, he suddenly stopped. "What did you do there?"
Liz glanced down at her hip where he was pointing. There was a bruise there from her father about a week ago. She was hoping he wouldn't notice. "Oh I wasn't paying attention and I fell right into the corner of my end table." She lied.
"Oh, I bet that hurt."
"Yeah . . . "
Max walked over to the pool and down in. "Come on in."
Liz dipped her foot in the water. "It's cold."
"It is not." He said while splashing her.
"Hey!" She walked over the steps and put her feet in.
"It's not that bad."
"I'm getting use to it first."
Max rolled his eyes. He lunged toward her and dunked her in the water.
"You . . . you big meanie!" Liz said while trying to dunk him but was unsuccessful. Max laughed.
"Bet I can do a handstand longer than you." Liz challenged.
"You're on."
They went under the water and threw their legs up in the air. Liz was starting to run out of breath, so she knocked Max over using her legs and then came back up.
"I won!"
"Oh yeah?" Max picked her up and threw her.
"You're just being a poor sport." Liz said.
Max pushed off the wall and swam under the water til he reached Liz and he made sure that when he stood up Liz was on his shoulders.
"Max!" Liz giggled. "Put me down!"
"Maybe I don't want to." He started spinning around in circles.
Isabel and Tess just came back from the mall. Tess noticed Max's jeep. "Good, Max is home, we can discuss our plans for the prom this year."
Isabel nodded. She got asked by a few guys but on Friday she decided to go with a guy in her grade named Grant. Max had gone with Tess to his junior prom last year, but Isabel wasn't so sure if he wanted to go with her again. They checked the kitchen and his room but he wasn't there.
"Maybe he's working out in the basement." Isabel suggested.
"Okay." Tess said. "Let's go check."
They made their way down the stairs and could hear water splashing and laughter. Then they saw Liz on Max's shoulders and he was twirling around. Tess glared at Liz evilly and walked toward the edge of the pool. "Hi Max."
They glanced up at Tess. "Oh . . . hey Tess . . . " Max let Liz off his shoulders.
"I need to talk to you." Tess demanded.
"I should get going." Liz said and started getting out of the pool.
"No wait Liz." Max got out of the pool after her. "You don't have to leave."
"No I really have to go anyway. It's uh, it's my turn to cook dinner tonight." Liz lied, it was always her turn to cook. She grabbed a towel and started drying off. She threw on her still damp tank top and wrapped the towel around her waist. "Um, I'll bring this back to you later."
"Yeah, that's fine."
"Bye, thanks for letting me use the pool."
Max nodded. "Bye Liz."
Liz started heading out. Max sighed and watched her go. He turned back around. "What did you want Tess?"
PART SEVEN
Isabel decided to let Tess and Max talk alone and headed up the stairs. She went outside to see Liz heading down the driveway.
"Liz, wait!" Isabel shouted and rushed over to her.
Liz turned around.
"Why don't I give you a ride home?" She offered.
"No, it's okay. You don't have to go to the trouble."
"No really, I insist. I wanted to talk to you anyway."
"Um, sure."
They got into her red convertible and Liz gave her directions to her home.
"I just wanted to apologize for Tess's behavior." Isabel said as she drove. "I mean she's my best friend and all, but she can still act like a bitch toward people sometimes."
"Oh." Liz said, not really knowing how to reply.
"Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let her get to you."
"Okay, thanks."
"And Liz?"
"Yeah?"
"Max really likes you. He talks about you all the time."
Liz smiled. "He does?"
Isabel rolled her eyes. "Yes. You like him too, don't you?"
Liz blushed. "Um, we're just friends."
Isabel smiled. "Right."
"This is my house on the right."
Isabel pulled over and tried not to glare at the tiny home.
"Well, thanks."
"No problem. It was nice talking to you."
"You too." Liz stepped out of the car. "Bye."
"Well Tess?" Max asked while draping his towel over his shoulders.
"The prom's coming up and I wanted to discuss our plans together."
"I never said we were going together."
"Well, I just figured we were going to, I mean we did last year."
"I was planning on asking someone else." Max replied.
"Who, that slut!" Tess blurted out in anger.
Max shook his head. "If you can't respect my friends, than you obviously aren't mine."
"But Max, I was just saying that-"
"Just leave Tess."
She didn't want to argue with him after the look he just gave her. "Fine."
She pouted while folding her arms across her chest and walked away.
Max walked over to Liz's locker Thursday after school. "Hey Liz."
She grinned. "Hi. How are you?"
"Really good. Do want a ride home?"
Liz shut her locker. "That would be great."
Max laced his hand with hers and they walked out to his car. It was another hot day and Liz enjoyed the cool breeze as Max drove. They talked on the way to her house, about nothing in particular, and when he got there, she thanked him for the ride, but when she started to get out, he stopped her. "Liz, I wanted to ask you something."
Liz sat back down in her seat.
"Um, I wanted to know if you would go to my prom with me?"
Liz's stomach seemed turned inside out.
"And uh, of course since you are my best dance partner." He added. "But if you don't want to . . . "
Liz smiled. "I'd love to go with you."
Max's grin stretched across his whole face. "Okay, great. Yeah, well I'll see you later Liz."
"Bye Max." Liz slowly slid out of the jeep and walked into her house. She sighed dreamily and headed toward her room. She picked up her stuffed dog and started dancing and twirling around with it. She collapsed on her bed and pictured what it would be like. She'd be escorted in by Max, looking ever so handsome in his tux, while she wore a beautiful gown . . . then it hit her. She would have to buy a dress. A dress she knew she could never afford. A tear ran down her cheek soon to be accompanied by other ones as any hope of being able to go to the prom now vanished.
PART EIGHT
On Friday morning, Liz roamed the halls of West Roswell High in search of Max. She had to tell him that she couldn't go to the prom with him. Yesterday she went over to the Salvation Army to see if there were any nice dresses. She found a few in her size, but they were out of style and just didn't look right, especially if she would be standing by Max and his friends. She knew they could get any dress or tux they wanted. Liz found Max by his locker talking to a few guys. She walked over to them.
"Um, hi Max."
Max glanced up and smiled. "Hey Liz." He looked over at his friends. "I'll catch you later."
The two started walking down the hall. "What's up?"
"I needed to tell you something." Liz sighed. "I can't go to the prom with you."
Max stopped walking. "What? Why not?"
Liz bent her head down. "I can't afford to go."
Max lifted her chin up. "We can get you a dress."
"But Max, you've already been so nice to me, I couldn't ask that of you."
"Liz it's not a problem. You could go shopping with Isabel."
"Are you sure?"
Max nodded.
"Oh thank you Max!" She flung her arms around him. "When I get the money, I promise to pay you back every single penny."
"Liz, you don't have too."
"No it's okay, I insist."
Max smiled. "All right." He swung his arm around her shoulders. "I'll walk you to your next class."
Liz made her father's favorite dinner that night. She made sure to talk to him before he could complain about his day.
"Dad, guess what?"
He glanced up from his plate of food. "What do you want?"
Liz tried not to frown. "I got asked to the prom. Isn't that great?" He shrugged his shoulders. "Well I can go, right?"
Jeff Parker sighed. "I guess. As long as I get my dinner."
"Thank you!" Liz exclaimed.
"Yeah, yeah." He grunted while getting up to get some beer.
On Saturday, Max picked Liz up and Isabel was with him.
"We're going to Alberquerque to look for dresses since their malls are better." Isabel explained. "I'm not driving or else we'll be really lost and Roberto and my mother are getting ready for a dinner party she's having. So . . . that leaves Max." She patted him on the shoulder.
It was about an hour drive and the mall was huge. Liz had never been to a place like this. Her family used to go to nice places before her mother died, but she hardly remembered them now.
Max linked his arm with Liz's as Isabel led the way through the mall.
They stopped at a department store called Nordstrom. Liz had never heard of it before. Just before Max tried to slip away, Isabel made him sit. "You're here to tell us what looks good."
Max sighed and Liz giggled before Isabel whisked her away into the sea of dresses.
"That one looks good." Max said.
Isabel groaned. "Max! You've said that to Liz for every dress she tried on!"
Max shrugged. "They all look good on her."
Liz smiled at Max. He smiled back and Isabel rolled her eyes. "You haven't said anything about my dresses."
"They're nice too." Max replied while still looking at Liz.
Isabel frowned. "You're not much help. Come on Liz, let's get some more."
Liz nodded as they headed back to the dressing room. She felt like a princess. Isabel was being so nice to her as they tried on dresses, giving each other their opinions on it. As they were looking at another rack of dresses, Liz saw it. The dress was beautiful. Liz walked over to it. It was a very pale lavender, was sleeveless with a square neck. The dress had a V back and princess seaming on the front and back. Liz ran her fingers over the satiny material. It was the only dress on the rack. She looked on the tag and it was her size! "Isabel!"
Isabel turned her head. "Liz that dress is gorgeous! Let's go try it on."
Isabel helped Liz into it, and the dress fit perfectly. "Liz you look so elegant. Let's go show Max!"
They walked out of the dressing room and to where Max was sitting.
"Max, look at this one." Isabel said.
Max glanced up at Liz. She looked amazing. "Wow Liz . . . that looks . . . that looks great."
Liz's lips curled upward. "You think so?"
Max nodded. "Yes." As he gazed into her eyes. Liz was in her own little trance, Max's eyes seemed to put a force on her.
"Hello? Guys?" Isabel pronounced.
Liz quickly turned her head.
"Now that you have a dress, we can focus on me." Isabel said as she pulled Liz back to the changing room.
Isabel finally decided on a scarlet red dress, it was strapless and flowed out from her waist. They both got matching shoes and purses to go with the gowns. Isabel paid for them with her credit card and the three walked back out into the mall.
"You're going to look great in that dress." Max whispered in her ear. Liz smiled up at him.
"All right Max, you can go where you want. Liz and I are going shopping. We'll meet you at the entrance in three hours."
Max nodded. "Okay." He gave a little wave and headed off.
"Oh, J.Crew!" Isabel grabbed Liz's arm taking her into the store. "This is the best place to go when you're in a preppy mood." She explained as she sorted through a rack. "This would be so cute on you!" She held up a sleeveless orange turtleneck. "It'll be great after those post make out sessions with Max."
Liz's face turned bright red. "Isabel! Max and I are only friends."
Isabel smirked. "We'll see."
Liz looked at the tag on the sweater. "Well this is out of my price range anyway."
"Don't worry about it. I'll buy it for you."
"No really, it's okay. You guys have already been nice enough. I mean the dress and the shoes and the purse, I..."
Isabel interrupted her. "I know, we can get you a whole new wardrobe! Oh it will be so much fun!"
"No Isabel, the clothes I have now are fine."
"I want to do this, as a thank you."
"Thank you? For what?"
"Opening Max up. He's always been so quiet. I mean when he's with all of his football friends, he's loud and rude, but that's really just an act for him. But this past month, he's just been so happy. He's not just going through the motions." Isabel paused. "Somehow, you and him don't see it, or maybe you do . . . but he's falling in love."
Liz blushed, but couldn't help but smile. "I like him too, but were just friends."
Isabel nodded. "Well, let's get started on this shopping spree."
Liz had never gotten so many clothes in her life. They got sweaters, tank tops, shirts, jeans, skirts, khakis and corduroys. As they made their way to the entrance to meet Max, Isabel sighed. "That was almost as fun as shopping for myself."
Liz smiled and they saw Max and approached him.
"Isabel, I don't think you bought enough."
"No, it's for Liz. Aren't you proud of me?"
Max eyed Liz. She was wearing a navy blue v-neck shirt which was embroidered around the collar. She had on a pair khaki flares and a denim jacket. "You look nice."
Max always made her feel so pretty. "Thank you."
Max drove them back to Roswell and stopped at Liz's house.
"Do you want me to stay to help you put the clothes away?" Isabel asked.
"No, I'm okay. Thank you so much for today. I don't know how I'll ever repay you, but I will."
The two siblings just nodded.
Liz struggled, but managed to pick up her bags. "Bye guys. Thanks again."
Liz walked in the house and was glad her father wasn't home. She fit everything she could in her small closet and dresser. The rest she put under her bed, she'd buy some boxes for them later. Liz put the prom dress on again and looked at herself in the mirror and twirled around. Meeting Max was the most wonderful thing that had happened to her in the last eight years.
Danielledreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

PART NINE
Liz sat down next to Alex in computer class. "Alex, I have the best news! Max Evans asked me to go to the prom with him! I got a dress and everything?"
"Wow, no wonder you're so excited. So are you two dating?" Alex asked.
Liz shook her head. "We're just friends."
Alex smirked. "Oh I see."
Isabel sat down at her lunch table in the quad with Michael and Maria. "Where's Max?"
"Over there." Michael pointed off to the side. Max was sitting under a tree talking and laughing with Liz.
"I still can't believe they haven't hooked up yet." Maria commented.
"Yeah, you should see them together. Max is like all goo goo eyes with her. It's kind of gross." Isabel said. "But, if you've noticed I got her a new wardrobe."
"Who got a new wardrobe?" Tess set her lunch down and sat next to Isabel.
"Oh, um Liz." Isabel answered.
Tess looked at Isabel like she was crazy. "Why did you do that?"
Isabel shrugged her shoulders. "You've seen how she dresses, she doesn't have a lot of money and I thought it would be nice of me to get her clothes."
"Well aren't you Mother Theresa."
Isabel sighed. "Max really likes her, and I was just helping him out. He asked her to the prom you know."
"He did?"
"Yeah Tess he did. Looks like you won't be having your way this time." Michael said.
She pouted. "I'm telling dad."
Michael laughed. "Ooh, I'm so scared."
"Shut up, I hate you!" She got up and walked off.
Michael shook his head. "She's such a spoiled brat, you this is the first time she hasn't gotten what she wanted. Maybe it will teach her a lesson."
Isabel frowned at Michael. Even though what he said was true Tess still was her best friend.
"I doubt it." Maria replied. "Anyway Michael, we should invite Max and Liz over on Friday. I can cook."
"No you can't."
Maria punched Michael on the arm. "I've been taking those courses, and I'm getting good. I want to meet Liz."
"Yeah, all right, I'll tell Max." Michael offered.
Isabel glanced at Max and Liz. "I bet they'll be together by prom."
It was Friday afternoon and Liz was getting ready to go to Maria's. She put on a short khaki skirt, some tan sandals and the sleeveless orange turtleneck. She vacuumed and cooked dinner and waited for her father to come home. When she heard the door open she sat up and went over to him, taking off his coat. "How was your day?"
He shrugged his shoulders and headed toward the kitchen.
Liz followed after him. "Um, you know that science project I was telling you about?" Liz waited for a moment and when he didn't reply she continued. "I got a 99, highest grade in the class, isn't that great!"
"I'm hungry. Where's dinner?"
Liz frowned. "It's on the stove. I'll go serve it." She placed the food on the table. "Um, Dad, may I go out tonight? I vacuumed the whole house and made your dinner."
"Okay, but don't stay out too late."
She grinned. "Thanks!"
About 15 minutes later Max picked her up.
"How come I never get to meet your father?" He asked.
"Oh, uh, he's not very interesting."
Max nodded and they drove to Maria's house.
Maria answered the door. "Hey guys! Come in, my parents went out for the night and Michael's in the living room."
Liz stepped into the home. It was about as big as Max's, but was decorated much differently. It didn't feel as fancy, but was still extremely nice. They went into the living room, and Michael was watching T.V.
"Michael! I said no T.V.!"
"Sorry, geez."
"They're like a married couple, I swear." Max whispered to Liz. She laughed softly. The four of them talked for a little while and then sat down to eat. Maria made French Onion soup first.
"This is really good Maria." Liz said.
"Yeah, I'm shocked." Michael added. Maria jabbed him on the arm. "Ow!"
They heard a bell go off in the kitchen. "Oh! My chicken's ready."
Maria got up and a few moments later the other three heard a scream. They rushed over to her. The oven was open and the meat was flaming inside.
"Where's the fire extinguisher?" Max asked.
"The what?" Maria asked.
Max and Michael groaned and started going through cabinets searching for one. Michael found one under the sink and sprayed it into the oven. Max pulled the dish out and put it in the sink.
"Now it's all ruined!" Maria complained.
"Make something else." Michael said.
"This was all I learned how to do."
"I'll help you make something." Liz offered.
"You would? Oh thank you Liz!" Maria pushed the other two guys out of the room.
Liz opened the fridge and started to rummage through it. "We have a freezer in the basement with meat." Maria said.
They went downstairs and Liz found some pork. "Do you have pineapple and cherries?"
"I think so."
"Okay, we'll cook the pork in that. It'll be really easy."
Maria nodded.
Liz found some rice and in no time they had dinner.
"Liz, thank you again." Maria said afterwards as they cleared the table.
"No problem. I'm always cooking at my house."
"Want to watch a movie?" Michael asked.
They went back into the living room and picked out a movie. Michael and Maria sat down on a leather recliner so she was practically on his lap. Liz and Max sat down on the sofa. As the movie started, Max draped his arm around Liz and she rested her head on his shoulder. About 40 minutes later Max started running his fingers along her forearm. Liz shivered and goose bumps appeared. The things he did to her! She took his hand and turned it over and moved her index finger in a circular motion on his palm. It was Max's turn to shudder. They kept touching each other, silently flirting. A half an hour later they glanced over at Michael and Maria making out.
"Should we go?" Liz whispered.
"Yeah."
"Um, I guess we don't need to say goodbye?"
Max shook his head. He grabbed her hand and they went to his jeep. It was a cool night and Liz rubbed her arms to keep warm.
"Oh, here." Max shrugged off his brown leather jacket and put it over her shoulders.
Liz smiled. "Thank you."
"No problem." He helped her in the jeep and took her home.
Monday at school Pam Troy and Vicky Delaney rushed over to Liz at her locker.
"Oh. My. God!" Pam said. "We just heard that you're going to the prom with Max Evans!"
"Now you have to tell us how he is in bed." Vicky said. "We're so jealous of you!"
Liz blushed. "Like I've been saying, we're not going out."
"Well he's obviously into you. Why don't you?"
Liz sighed. "Look, we are friends, nothing more or less." She was starting to get really aggravated by all this.
Vicky shrugged her shoulders. "I'd never want to be just friends with that man."
"Come on, let's go." Pam said and they walked off.
Liz leaned against her locker and sighed. She was tired of having to say her and Max were just friends. As much as she wanted, they couldn't be more than that. It was safer this way.
PART TEN
It was Friday night and the prom was being held the next night. One of Max's friends was having a pre-prom party and Max took Liz.
The place was packed. Liz found Alex and introduced him to Isabel. They began talking, much to Isabel's date Grant, disgust.
Max and Liz started to walk around, Max saying hi to most people and introducing Liz. The guy who was holding the party, Paulie walked over to them. "Hey guys!" He exclaimed. "You want some?" He asked while shoving a can of beer in front of Max. Liz immediately flinched away. Max glanced over at her. "No, we're okay."
Paulie shrugged his shoulders and started intermingling with the crowd.
"Do you usually drink at parties Max?" Liz asked.
"Um, only once and a while. You don't do you?"
"Never. I hate what alcohol can do to people."
"Oh, well we don't need to be drunk to have a good time. Let's go dance."
She took his hand and grinned. Max had never seen Liz's smile so bright. Max took Liz home a little later, it was just the two of them, Isabel went with Grant. Even though she mentioned to Liz she wanted to talk to Alex some more.
"Well, um, Isabel will stop by for you tomorrow to get your hair done."
"Okay, great."
"Are you sure you don't want me to walk you to the door?"
"No, I'm fine. Goodnight."
"Night Liz." He took her hand and kissed it. Liz smiled and got out of the car. Her hand seemed to burn from where Max's lips had been. She strolled up to her door and stepped in quietly.
"Lizzie! Is that you?"
Liz hesitated but then walked over to their den. There were cans and bottles laying all over the room. Her father was drinking from a bottle, but she wasn't sure what was in it though. "Yes?"
"Where were you?"
"I went to a party, you said it was all right."
"Yeah, well I changed my mind ten minutes ago."
Liz's eyebrows furrowed together. He wasn't making any sense.
Mr. Parker pointed at her. "You use to never go out. And now you're never home."
"Yes I am."
"Don't you talk back to me!"
"I'm sorry." She looked down.
"And who's that guy that's been picking you up?"
"What . . . what guy?"
Jeff got up and slapped her so hard she almost fell. "Don't you lie to me!"
Liz's eyes welled up with tears.
"I've seen him come to the house for you. He's only interested in your body. How many times has he fucked you?" He grabbed her arms tightly while shaking her.
Tears streamed down her face. "Never, he's not like that!"
"Every guy is like that."
"Well he's not!" She screamed.
"What did I tell you about talking back!" He threw a bottle at her and landed on her shoulder. Liz fell to the ground. "Get back up!"
Liz tried but felt too weak. He kicked her head and everything went black . . .
Liz regained conscienceness a few moments later, and felt herself being kicked in the sides. He kicked her one last time, but it was right below her eye. Liz cried out in pain and tried to get away but Mr. Parker pulled her up by her hair.
"Please don't do this." Liz pleaded. "I'm your daughter!"
"That's right." He grabbed her face with one hand pinching her cheeks together forcefully. "And you will do as I say!" He let go and glared at her. "Just get the hell away from me you bitch."
Liz nodded her head rapidly as the tears continued to flow down her face. She turned around and he kicked her hard on the bottom. Liz yelped out and fell down, but quickly scrambled up and went to her room. She locked her door and grabbed her stuffed dog as she sobbed hysterically on the bed. She looked up at the picture of her mother. She picked up the frame and trailed her fingers down her mother's face. "How could you do this to me mom?" She asked aloud. "How could you leave me?" She cried harder but stopped when she heard the banging on the door. "Open up!" Her father yelled.
Liz opened her window and climbed out. She started walking down the street. Her body ached all over. She needed to see Max right now more than anything. She started to limp ten minutes later because she could hardly handle the pain, tightly clutching the dog in one hand. She had to take a few breaks and 35 minutes later she approached his home. Liz practically crawled through the lawn. She managed to knock once before collapsing on the ground.
Danielledreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

PART ELEVEN
After dropping Liz off, Max came home and went into his room. He stripped down to his boxers and flopped down on his bed. He placed his hands under his head and stared up at the ceiling. Every day he seemed to getting to know Liz better, wanting her more. But he was scared. What if they took their relationship to the next level and it didn't work? He didn't want to lose her friendship. He had had girlfriends before, but Liz she was so different from them. She didn't try to put on an act, she was always herself and he loved that about her. Max wasn't sure how long he laid there thinking about her, but all of a sudden he stood up, something wasn't right. He cautiously looked around his room and then walked over to his window. He scanned the lawn until something caught his eye. It was some kind of doll.
Curious, Max went down the stairs and out the side door. He went over to the doll and picked it up. It was a dog and he could instantly pick up Liz's fragrance. He looked around for her, calling out her name softly. Then he saw her. She was laying by the front door. He rushed over to her.
"Oh my God." From the faint light he could tell she was beaten. "Liz!" He shook her gently. He bent down to check her pulse and breathing, which seemed to be okay. He carefully picked her up, cradling her to his chest. He brought her to his room where he placed her on his bed. She looked terrible, who could have hurt his beautiful Liz? He started glancing over her body. Her left eye was starting to swell and red marks were imprinted on her face. There were scratches on her upper arm mixed with dried blood and her bottom lip was cut. He lifted her shirt some to reveal her stomach and found bruises forming on her sides and back. A tear trickled down his cheek, she had taken so much. He reached for his phone and dialed his neighbor's number.
"Hello?" The person on the other end asked half awake.
"Hi, Dr. Sanchez, it's Max Evans. I was wondering if you could come over, my friend's been hurt, I don't know what to do."
"Okay, Max just stay put. I'll be right over."
"Thank you so much." Max hung up the phone and gazed at Liz. He smoothed her hair away and kissed her forehead. "Hang in there Liz. It's going to be all right."
"Is she going to be okay?" Max asked Dr. Sanchez for the hundredth time in the last 45 minutes.
Dr. Sanchez nodded as he wrapped a bandage around her head. "She shouldn't have to go to the hospital now, I cleaned up and treated her cuts. Who did this to her?"
"I don't know. She was unconscious when I found her."
"Okay, just let her rest. She should wake up in the morning. If there are any other problems with her just take her to the hospital I'll be working tomorrow."
Max nodded. "I can't thank you enough."
"It's not a problem. I can see how much you care for her." Dr. Sanchez shook Max's hand and walked out of the room.
Max tucked Liz into his bed. He took each of her hands in his, kissing them gently. Max didn't leave her side all night.
Liz slowly started to wake up but didn't open her eyes yet. She had never felt warm and comfy. She snuggled into the bed more and took a deep breath. Then she realized she inhaled that familiar scent, Max's scent. Her eyes fluttered open, she was in Max's room. As she started to sit up, the door opened and Max walked in with a tray of food.
"Liz! You're awake!" Max said as he placed the tray on the night stand. He sat down on the bed and grabbed her hands.
"How . . . how did I get here?" Liz asked.
"You came to my house last night, but then you collapsed at the front door. My neighbor, Dr. Sanchez came over and helped fix you up."
"Oh." The events from last night flooded back to her. Her hand went to her face and she felt the swelling below her eye and then her finger traced the cut on her lip. She reached back and felt the bump that was bandaged behind her head. "I uh, guess you're wondering what happened, huh?"
Max nodded. "I mean if you think you're ready to tell me."
Liz let out a shaky breath and glanced at the scrapes on her arm. "My father."
Max's eyes grew wide.
Liz moved to sit up straighter but it hurt too much, so she slumped back down. "I know he doesn't mean to do this, but sometimes when he's . . . when he's drunk he hits me."
"Oh Liz . . . "
"Ever since my mother died, he started to drink. He's this whole other person . . . I do everything he tells me too." Liz couldn't hold back her tears. "So why does he take it out on me?"
Max enveloped her in a hug as she cried harder. "I don't think I can take it much more." She whispered.
"It's going to be all right Liz." He whispered as he rubbed her back. "We're going to get you help." Max pulled away a little. "I should have known. He was the guy that hit you at the dance wasn't he?"
"You saw that?"
Max nodded.
"Is that why you came over and asked me to dance? Because you felt sorry for me?"
"No . . . no Liz, it's not like that. I saw you before that and thought you were so beautiful. When I watched your dad hit you, I couldn't understand how anyone could do that. So I went over to you when I saw you crying."
Liz wiped her eyes. "Well I must look terrible now." She placed her head down.
Max lifted her face up with his hand. "No, you look just as beautiful as the first time I saw you. Those cuts don't change how I feel about you. I love what's on the inside. And now that I know what you've had to go through . . . I would kiss every place you hurt to make the pain go away."
Fresh tears slipped from Liz's face. "You . . . you would?"
He nodded and then bent his head down. Lightly, he brushed his lips against her arm and kissed it up to her shoulder.
Liz's breath seemed to quicken as Max moved his mouth and dragged it along her collarbone.
"Is it working?" He whispered.
Liz nodded and swallowed. He kissed her jaw line softly, her skin tasted so sweet, he never wanted to stop. Liz's chest heaved up and down faintly as she felt his hot breath on her face. Her eyelids closed and Max placed an open kiss under her eye. As he moved aside, she could hear his own breath speed up. She opened her eyes and gazed at Max. He was looking at her lips, she barely even remembered the cut she had there. Max hesitated for a moment, but then leaned forward. He nuzzled his nose against hers and then captured her bottom lip with his own lips. He drew away and they just stared at each other before they both tilted in again at the same time. Their lips met and they felt a spark run through their bodies. Liz wrapped her arms around his neck as Max placed his hands on her lower back. His tongue slowly snaked out and lightly licked her bottom lip. Liz opened her mouth and let his tongue embrace her own. Their tongues danced together and Liz moaned quietly into his mouth.
Isabel opened the door to her brother's room. "Max, I'm going to go get... oh . . . "
The two quickly pulled apart, Max turned to face Isabel.
"Um, I'll uh, just leave you two alone." Isabel said trying not to smile.
"No, wait." Max said. "Liz needs our help."
Liz brought her head up. Isabel gasped and ran over to the bed. "Oh god, what happened?"
"It's a long story. I'll tell you later." Max responded.
"Daddy's coming home today," Isabel said. "You need to tell him about Liz."
Isabel took Liz's hand. "He'll help you out Liz, whatever it is. Well . . . um, I'll leave you two alone. I have a lot of things to get done." With that, she left the room.
Then Liz realized something. "Max, I'm not going to be able to go to the prom now." Her eyes mist with tears.
"Liz that's the last thing on my mind right now."
"No, Max don't let me stop you from going."
"Liz, I really don't care about it."
"It's your Senior prom, you'll regret it if you don't go. And you can tell me all about it tomorrow." She tried to smile but couldn't.
Max just nodded.
"So Max, if you talk to your dad, what will happen to my father?" Liz asked changing the subject.
Max shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know Liz."
She nodded while wiping her eyes again. "I better get going."
"What if your Dad's home?"
"He'll probably be asleep half the day, and he goes to the bar on Saturday nights so I'll be fine. I'll be able to avoid him."
"You sure?"
"Yes."
"I'll give you a ride home."
"Can I use your bathroom first?"
"Yeah, go ahead."
Liz slowly got out of his bed and trodded over to the bathroom. She almost burst into tears as she saw her image in the mirror, she looked terrible! How could Max have even been able to look at me? She thought and then sighed. She placed her fingers on her lips. The kiss she had just shared with Max was amazing. She turned back around and went back to his room.
"You ready?"
Liz nodded.
The ride to her house was silent. Liz glanced over at Max, he was gripping the steering wheel so hard his knuckles were turning white, and she could see the worry in his eyes. She placed her hand on his arm and gave it a light squeeze. He looked over at her and gave her what she knew was a forced smile. He pulled up along side her house, but walked her to the door.
"I'm really sorry about not being able to go tonight. I don't think any make up will cover this up."
"Liz, I told you I don't have to go."
"You only have your senior prom once. But promise you'll give me all the details tomorrow?"
Max nodded and hugged her, holding her close to him. He placed a kiss on her cheek before walking away.
Max walked into his father's office at their home. "Dad, I need to talk to you."
"I'm a little busy son." Phillip Evans replied.
"Please Dad, I need your help."
Mr. Evans looked up and saw the pleading in Max's eyes. He nodded and motioned the chair in front of him. "What seems to be the problem?"
"Well, I have this friend . . . "
CHAPTER TWELVE
That night Liz sat on the couch, trying to watch T.V. The prom had started a half an hour ago. How badly she wished she could go! Her face was getting too cold from the ice pack she applied, and she threw it across the room. I won't cry, she thought as she bit her bottom lip. Just then the doorbell rang, curiously, Liz got up and answered it. Max was standing at the standing at the door wearing his tux. God, he looked good, he seemed to take Liz's breath away.
"Max . . . what are you doing here?"
"Go put on your dress."
"Excuse me? Max I can't go to the prom with you, my face..."
Max placed his index finger over her lips and smiled. "Do you trust me?"
Liz nodded. "Yes, of course."
"Then go put on your dress."
"Give me a few minutes?"
Max nodded.
Liz rushed back to her room and pulled out the prom dress from her closet. She quickly put the strapless bra with matching panties that Isabel made her get and then the pantyhose and slip. She eased the dress on and placed on her shoes. Liz removed the bandage from her head and carefully brushed her hair as she put it back with a headband. She applied some lip balm and her favorite lotion. She thought she still looked bad, but she realized Max didn't care. She smiled and walked back out with him.
"You look beautiful. You ready?" He extended his hand toward her.
Liz gazed at him while taking his hand. "Always."
She saw the limo out on the street. "Max, you shouldn't have."
"I wanted to."
Roberto opened the door to the vehicle. "Evening Miss Parker."
"Hello Roberto." He helped her in and Max followed.
Once they started moving, Max pulled out a corsage that perfectly matched her gown.
"Max where are we going? You're not taking to your prom are you? Or are you..."
Max quickly pressed his lips over hers. "You'll see when we get there."
Liz smiled. She would talk forever if he'd shut her up that way.
Five minutes later the limo stopped and Roberto opened the door.
"Max why are we at your house?"
He didn't say anything but led her inside. They went over to the dining room. Liz gasped. "Max . . . "
The room was lit by candlelight. Max pulled out a chair and Liz sat down. Max sat across from her.
"This is all so beautiful. Thank you."
"Liz, did you actually think I could actually go to my prom without you? You're the only reason I wanted to go."
"This is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me." She reached for his hand across the table.
Robert brought out salads for them. After that they had soup, main course and dessert.
"I ate so much! Aren't you stuffed?" Liz asked.
Max shrugged his shoulders.
"You're not? You're such a pig!"
Max grinned. "Can't help it." He pushed out of his chair and took her hand. "Follow me." He brought her into a room next door. "This is what my parents use when they have parties." Max explained as he opened the door.
For the second time that night, Liz gasped. The room was a good size, with a dance floor in the middle. On one side was a huge stereo and then on the other was a bar. A disco ball was on the ceiling spinning, spreading white lights everywhere. It was decorated with lavender, pure white and silver balloons with streamers hung on the walls.
"Oh Max . . . " She said while choking back a sob. "This is the best night of my life."
Max smiled while lacing his hand with hers. "It's not over yet."
PART THIRTEEN
Max walked over to the stereo and turned it on. "I got a list of the song they're playing at the prom and then got the D.J. to make a copy for me." Nsync's 'This I promise you' came on. Max walked over to Liz and wove his fingers with hers and held it against his chest, they danced slowly to the music.
"Max this means so much to me. I can't ever begin to thank you."
"Then don't. Just being here with you is thank you enough." Max paused.
"Liz, ever since I met you . . . you've changed me, I'm a better person now because of you."
Liz smiled through tear shone eyes. "Max?"
He gazed down at her. "Yes?"
"I think . . . I think I'm falling in love with you."
Max smiled and kissed her lips once softly. "I know I'm in love with you."
The tears freely fell down Liz's face and she leaned up and kissed him. She put her whole heart and soul into it. She had never felt this love before. It was incredible. She tightened her grip on his shoulders for fear of falling.
Max started to caress her tongue with his own. He lightly ran his hand up and down her back while his other hand stroked her cheek. They finally pulled away and just smiled at each other. They shared a few more kisses before dancing again.
Liz's body was still sore, but Max was so sweet and gentle with her. They danced together for the next hour and a half. She loved dancing with him, and besides, that's what started this whole relationship.
As the two were getting drinks, the door opened. Isabel flew in with Alex, Maria, Michael, Tess and her date Kyle Valenti.
"What are you doing here guys?" Max asked surprised.
"Our prom was really lame and I dumped Grant. So we decided to check up on you two." Isabel explained.
Liz folded her arms and put her head down, she didn't want them to see her face.
Alex walked over to her. "Isabel told us what happened. You know I'm here for you. But let's not worry about that tonight, okay?"
Liz nodded and Alex hugged her.
"Thank you." She whispered.
"Liz, your dress really is beautiful. That's a great color." Maria said.
Liz smiled. "Oh thank you."
They hung out and danced together for the next couple of hours. Kyle and Tess left for another party. To Liz's surprise, Tess was being nice to her. She wasn't sure if it was just because she felt sorry for her though.
Isabel took Alex on a tour of the house, and Michael and Maria went to go 'talk'.
"Well, it's just you and me again." Max said.
Liz nodded. "So it is."
"Do you want to go to my room?"
Liz smiled and rose her eyebrows. "And what would we do up there?"
Max shrugged his shoulders and gave her a lop sided grin. Liz rolled her eyes as she took his hand and they went upstairs.

PART FOURTEEN
As soon as they made it to Max's room, he made a dive for Liz, but she moved away. Liz smiled, she loved teasing him, he was just too cute.
"I need to get out of this dress." She said while tossing her shoes to the side. She walked over to his dresser and opened the top drawer. She rummaged through it trying to find something to wear. "Ooh, what are these?"
She pulled out a pair of silk blue pajamas, still with the tag on them.
"Oh, uh, Isabel gave me them for Christmas."
Liz grinned. "They're nice. You should wear them."
"Liz it's too hot."
"No it's not, come on Max, I want to see you in them. Please?"
Max frowned while grabbing the clothing from her. "All right." He groaned.
She kissed his cheek and pulled out one of his undershirts and boxers and went into his bathroom.
She got out of the dress and placed on the clothing. She gazed around the bathroom for a moment, it totally smelled like Max, she loved it. She sighed happily and walked back out to him.
He was just finish buttoning his shirt and glanced up at her. "You happy now?"
She smiled and wrapped her arms around his waist. "Yes."
"I look like Aladdin or something."
Liz giggled. "I like it." She leaned up and kissed him.
As the kiss grew deeper, she pushed them down on the bed, her tongue out to explore his. After awhile they broke away and Liz crawled over to the head of the bed. She got under the covers and patted to the space next to her. Max went over and got under the blanket with her. He knew they weren't going to do anything she wasn't ready for tonight.
Liz glanced at his shirt that was almost unbuttoned now. "We might as well just take the top off." She commented.
"Do we get to take off yours too?"
Liz rolled her eyes and jabbed him in the arm. She undid the last two buttons of his shirt and then slid it off past his shoulders. She raked her hands down his chest to his ribbed stomach and sighed in contentment. He was so perfect in every way. She gave him a few sweet kisses.
Max turned out the light and they snuggled together. He kissed the top of her head. "I love you." He whispered in her ear, making her heart melt.
Liz wove her fingers through his and kissed his hand. "I love you Max."
And together, they drifted into dreamland.
Liz opened her eyes to slits and then smiled. Max's strong arms were still securely wrapped around her. She gazed at his sleeping form, he was so angelic. She brushed some of his hair out of the way and dropped a light kiss on his forehead. He continued to sleep soundly but he tightened his grip on her and sighed. Liz's smiled curled higher. He was so adorable. She loved him with all her heart, and she knew he would always be there for her. She started to wonder about her father. What was going to happen to him?
Max stirred awake and felt Liz's fingers stroking his back. "Hey."
Liz smiled and kissed him. "Morning."
"Have you been up long?"
Liz shook her head. "Only a few minutes."
Max ran his hand through her hair. "What were you thinking about?"
She kissed his nose. "You." She paused. "I'm scared for my dad Max, what's going to happen?"
"I don't understand. Why are scared for him, I mean why do you care?"
"Max, even though he's done all of those things, he's still my father."
Max nodded and kissed her temple. "I talked to my dad yesterday. He's going to be around this morning and wants to talk to you."
"Okay."
"But, I think we have some time before that." Max said with a grin.
"Oh do we?" Liz remarked while tracing his with her finger.
He tilted forward to kiss her. He loved her lips, they always tasted so sweet. Liz continued to ravish his mouth with her own, she would be happy to just lay here with Max, holding and kissing him forever. He made her feel so safe. She dropped her mouth and placed light kisses along his jaw line, she them moved down to his neck where she lightly sucked and kissed his tender skin.
Max braided his hand in her hair and brought her mouth back to his. His tongue met hers and she moaned lightly into his mouth.
"Max!"
The two looked up at the man standing before them. Liz didn't know who he was but her face turned bright red.
"Oh, uh hey dad." Max said.
Liz glanced at Max. His face was flushed and his lips were swollen. She could already see the marks forming on his neck. She imagined herself looking worse.
"Is this the 'friend' you were telling me about?"
Max nodded. "Dad, I'd like you to meet Liz Parker."
Mr. Evans stuck out his hand. Liz took it and smiled.
"Well, I'm going to be at the house for another couple of hours. So uh, have some breakfast and then come talk to me."
Liz nodded her head. "Thank you."
Mr. Evans stared at the shirtless Max and walked out the door.
Phillip Evans walked down the steps into the kitchen. His wife Diane was sitting at the table eating a grapefruit.
"Honey, did you know our son had a girl in his room last night?"
"Oh, he did? That's so cute!" Diane exclaimed while clasping her hands together. "Let me guess, the brunette right?"
Mr. Evans rolled his eyes and stalked off, muttering something about not understanding women.
Max and Liz got changed and went into the kitchen. Liz borrowed clothes from Isabel to wear. They sat down and Roberto walked over to them.
"The usual Master Evans?"
"That'd be great."
"And for you Miss Parker?"
"Just toast please."
He nodded and walked away.
Max reached for Liz's hand and rubbed slow circles on her hand with his thumb.
"Do you think your Dad's mad at me now?" Liz asked.
"No, I wouldn't worry about it."
Liz nodded and placed her head down.
Max frowned. "Come here."
Liz walked around the table and onto his lap. Max wrapped his arms around her and kissed her cheek. "Liz, I know I don't have the answers you want, but I know that my father is a great lawyer and will take care of you. Because something does have to be done about your dad. He can't keep hurting you." He brushed a tear away from her face.
Liz placed her forehead against his. "Thank you." She brushed her lips on Max's. "I love you."
"I love you more." He said before capturing her mouth with his own. After a while they heard someone clearing their throat.
Roberto was standing there with the food. The two smiled as he quickly set the plates down and rushed off.
"Do you think there will ever be a time we're not interrupted?" Max asked.
Liz giggled. "Who knows?" Robert gave her fruit as well and she popped a strawberry into his mouth.
After breakfast Max took Liz's hand and they went into his father's office. Max knocked lightly on the door.
"Come in!"
Max opened the door and stepped in with Liz trailing behind him. "Liz is here."
Mr. Evans put down his pen. "Good, have a seat Liz."
"I'll be in my room when you're done." Max whispered.
She nodded and sat down. Max quietly slipped out of the room.
"Well Liz, Max told me what has been going on but I wanted to hear it from you before I did anything. Are those marks from your father?" He asked indicating her face.
Liz nodded her head and then proceeded to tell him everything that had been done to her the last eight years.

PART FIFTEEN
After an hour and forty-five minutes of talking to Mr. Evans, Liz went back upstairs to Max's room. He was lounging on the couch watching T.V.
"Hey."
Max immediately got up and went over to her. "Hi, how did it go?" He placed his hand on her arm.
"It wasn't bad. We went over a lot of my options."
"So what's going to happen?"
"Well, since I'm going to be 18 in a year, I'm going to a petition to be emancipated so I can live on my own. And then since my grades are so high, I'll be able to get a good scholarship to college."
"That's great Liz. And your father?" He tucked some hair behind her ear.
"He's going to be in a rehab center for a year and a half and then spend from three to five years in jail." A tear slipped down her cheek.
Max pressed his lips against the tear. "This is for the best. He's going to get help so he can get better now."
Liz nodded and Max hugged her. She buried her head in his neck as he rubbed slow circles into her back. Just his presence made her feel better. She lifted her head up and brought his mouth down to hers.
"Don't ever leave me Max." She said as she rested her forehead against his.
"I could never do that Liz, I promise." Max replied as he kissed her again.
It was the end of the school day on Monday and Liz couldn't be more glad. She still had a black eye, the scrapes on her face were getting better, but she still didn't she looked the greatest. She wore long sleeves and made her hair hang loose in front of her face. She sighed and took the books she needed out of her locker. Then she felt someone wrap their arms around her waist.
"Hey sexy." Max whispered huskily in her ear. Liz shivered, he had no idea of the effect he had on her.Starting at her ear, he made a trail of kisses to her chin. Liz turned her head and smiled. She kissed his lips sweetly. "Hey yourself."
He took her hand and they started down the hall. "Are you busy this afternoon?"
Liz shook her head. "No, why?"
"Well, my dad gave me the budget of what you can spend for an apartment. Did you want to look with me?"
"I'd love to Max. Thank you."
They got into the jeep and Max drove to the first apartment complex.
"I love it!" Liz exclaimed as she walked around the room. It had a family room, a kitchen that wasn't a bad size and a bathroom. Then there was a bedroom with another bathroom. "This is the one I want!"
"Liz, this is the first one we looked at and the cheapest. We can look at some more."
"No Max, this one is fine. I don't anything fancy."
Max shrugged his shoulders. "If that's what you want." He kissed her temple. "I'll tell my Dad."
"Thank you again Max."
"Anything for you Liz."
Danielledreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

PART SIXTEEN
By Friday afternoon, all of Liz's things were in boxes and plopped into the family room of her new apartment. Now she just needed to unpack.
It wouldn't take long though, she didn't have too many things except for the clothes Isabel had gotten her. Her father was gone, the police had come taken him away on Tuesday, while she was at school. She didn't even get the chance to say goodbye, but she figured it was for the best.
Max had come over that night and comforted her. Liz sighed. Max, how she loved him! He had been nothing but wonderful this past week. He was so caring and understanding with her.
She glanced at her watch, Max was picking her up in a half an hour to go grocery shopping. Liz headed toward her room and started to put some of her things away. She brought the furniture from her room here, which just consisted of a night stand, bed and dresser. Then she brought a table, couch and T.V. from her house. The couch was pretty beat up, but it was better than nothing. Twenty minutes later, she heard the door open. She had already given Max a key to her apartment. She trusted him and wanted him to come anytime he wanted. They were getting as bad as Michael and Maria. Liz smiled at the thought.
Max knocked lightly on the side of her bedroom door. Liz smiled and went over to him.
"How are you doing today?" Max asked.
"Better." She leaned up to kiss him. "You?"
"Good." He took her hand. "Come on."
After they finished at the grocery store, they had to make four trips to Liz's apartment from Max's jeep to carry the groceries in.
Max groaned and flopped down on the couch afterwards. "Why couldn't you be on the first floor instead of 5th? I can't believe they don't have an elevator."
Liz was in the kitchen putting the food away. "I thought you were a big macho football player." She grinned and walked over to where he was lying on the couch. "Poor Max Evans, can't even carry some bags up the stairs."
Max chuckled. "It's a good thing you're cute." He grabbed her hips, pulling her on top of him. Her mouth clamped down on his. Max wove his hands through her hair bringing her mouth even closer. Her tongue pursued into his mouth and he sucked on it delicately. Liz moaned lightly and pulled away.
"If I don't get up now, I'll never get the groceries away."
Max dragged his knuckles along her cheek. "I love you."
Liz smiled. "I love you too." She rubbed her lips against his. "I got to hurry before the ice cream melts." She scrambled off of him and headed back to the kitchen. Max stayed where he was and just watched her. She was too cute. He watched as she reached up to put something in a high cabinet. His heart tightened in his chest. He loved her so much, he would do anything for her and he sincerely meant it.
He got up from the couch and went over to help her.
It was Saturday morning and Liz slowly ascended up the stairs to her apartment. She just came back from her interview at the Crashdown Caféé to be a waitress. It was only two blocks away from her and the owners seemed really nice. They said they'd call to let her know if she got the job tomorrow. She reached into her purse to pull out her key. She unlocked the door and then gasped.
Max, Isabel, Maria, Alex and Michael were all in the living room painting. There was more furniture in the room as well, but she couldn't tell what since they were coved up by sheets.
Isabel punched Max on the arm. "I thought she wasn't going to be back for another hour!"
"Oops."
"What is all this guys?" Liz asked.
"We wanted to surprise you." Maria said. "We got you new furniture and wanted to have the walls painted by the time you got back."
"You really didn't have to do this, but thank you. I really appreciate it."
"Here, grab a brush." Alex said.
Max went over to Liz and squeezed her shoulder while kissing her cheek.
"Was this your idea?"
Max nodded.
Liz's eyes watered and she pressed her forehead against his. "Thanks."
"No, thank you." He kissed her softly.
Liz went over and took a brush. "I love this color. How did you pick it?"
"Well Max told us your favorite color was white, but we thought that was too plain, so we picked the lavender." Isabel replied.
Alex turned on the radio and everyone set back to work.
Forty five minutes later, Michael flopped down on the sheet-covered couch. "I'm exhausted."
"Oh you poor thing." Maria pouted and started massaging his shoulders. "Does that feel better?" She nodded toward Isabel.
"Yeah, a little lower."
Isabel walked behind Michael holding a paint bucket. Then she dumped the liquid right over his head.
Michael jumped up. "What the hell?"
Everyone broke into laughter.
Michael immediately lunged toward Maria.
"Michael!" She shrieked while running away from him. "I didn't have anything to do with that!"
"I don't believe you." He finally managed to tackle her on the floor, getting paint all over her.
The others watched on in amusement.
Liz took her brush and swiped it down Max's cheek to his neck.
"Hey!" He got the roller brush, but Liz dodged it and he got Isabel instead. Max instantly froze.
"You got paint in my hair!" Isabel screamed.
"It was Alex!" Max blurted out.
Isabel glared at Alex and threw the rest of the paint in the bucket on him. And thus, the paint war began.

PART SEVENTEEN
Three weeks later:
Liz came home from work, she had gotten the job at the Crashdown, and plopped down on the couch while kicking off her shoes and placing her antenna headband on the end table. The furniture she had now was an off-white leather couch, purple leather recliner, and a chaise lounge.
Every day was starting to become a routine for her. After school Max dropped her off at the Crashdown and she worked there until 6:30 p.m. She'd walk home, make some dinner and get her homework done. Then Max would come over and an hour or so later she went to bed. And as she thought about it, she wouldn't have wanted it any other way. She sat up from the couch and headed toward the kitchen. She instantly stopped when she noticed the floor. There was a trial of white and pink rose petals along with Hershey kisses and hugs leading into her room. She followed it to where it ended at her bed. The bed had some more rose petals but also a bouquet of red roses. As she went to pick them up, she heard a knock and spun around.
Max was standing in the doorway holding a single white rose. He was wearing a white button down shirt along with a pair of khakis and no shoes or socks. He looked like a god to her and she wiped her mouth to make sure she wasn't drooling. "How . . . when . . . "
"I got her about 40 minutes ago." He walked over to her and handed her the rose.
Liz took it and brought it to her nose to smell the sweet scent.
Max bent his head down to place soft kisses on her nose, forehead, temple, each eyelid and cheek.
"This is so nice Max, why did you do this?"
"Because I love you, and wanted to show you."
Liz smiled. "Oh I love you too, so much." She leaned up to kiss his tender lips. She wrapped her arms around his neck while walking backwards never stopping the kiss. She reached down and moved the flowers, pulling Max on the bed with her.
His tongue traced the edge of her ear, his teeth pulling lightly on her earlobe. He kissed along her jaw line to the curve of her neck. His mouth kept moving, and he sucked lightly along her collarbone.
Liz brought his lips back to hers and ate at them hungrily. As his tongue caressed hers, Liz unbuttoned his shirt and pushed it off as she ran her hands down his back.
Max started unsnapping the buttons on her uniform to her stomach and then hesitated. Liz smiled and brought her hand up to cup his cheek. "I want to do this Max."
Max leaned into her palm. "Liz, I love you. And I'd never make you do anything you don't want to or that would hurt you in anyway."
Liz grabbed his hands and placed a kiss on each of his palms. "I know."
He smiled and brought his head down to hers. They kissed gently as he undid the rest and pushed it aside. His eyes raked down her body.
She was wearing a light blue matching bra and panties. He had seen her without a shirt before, but had never taken her bra off. With a shaky hand, he unclasped the front and pulled the straps down her arms. His gaze went back to Liz. "You're so beautiful."
He cupped one breast with his hand, his thumb brushing over her nipple. He kneaded it gently but firmly at the same time.
Liz gasped and arched her shoulders back.
He dipped his head down to the other breast and spread feather light kisses over it. His tongue outlined her nipple before taking it in his mouth.
Liz's whole body was burning, for Max. He took her breast deeper into his mouth, sucking on it more greedily now.
Liz fisted her hands in his hair as he moved to the other one and repeated the process.
Liz dragged Max's mouth back to hers. She could feel his hardness against her lower stomach. She always thought she'd be frightened or embarrassed of this, but it only made her more aroused. She curved her body into it more, rubbing her own pulsing ache against it. She kissed Max passionately as her hands glided down his back to the waistband of his pants. She unbuttoned them and carefully pulled down his fly and tugged them along with his boxers off. She pulled away from their kiss and gazed at him. His eyelids were slightly hooded, but she could see his eyes dark and full of desire. She placed her hand over his manhood. Max instantly moaned out. She felt it throbbing and moved her hand up and down him. The skin was smooth and felt velvety. Max groaned again. Liz moved her hand faster, finding a pace he liked. Her other hand went down and explored his sensual sacs, rubbing them gently.
"God . . . Liz." He ran his hands down her sides and slipped her underwear off before crushing his mouth to hers. He started rubbing her sensitive folds. Liz moaned into his mouth and moved her hips with the movement of his hand on her.
"Mmm . . . Max, you *kiss* you brought protection, right?"
Max glanced down her and his heart swelled. He nodded his head as he reached for his khakis and pulled out a condom. "Did you know my Dad gave this to me the morning he found us in my room?"
Liz grinned. "Really?"
Max laughed lightly. "Yeah."
Liz took it from him and unwrapped it. She then slid it down on him.
"Are you nervous?"
"A little. But I want to do this Max, I love you."
"I love you too." He kissed her and settled on top of her. Liz spread her legs some and wrapped her arms around his neck. Max entered her slowly. Once he felt himself reach her barrier, he stopped, letting Liz adjust to him before he continued. Gently, he started again and once he passed it, he saw her eyes water and she bit her bottom lip. He brushed a tear away. "Liz . . . I . . . "
Liz shook her head. "No, it's okay." It did hurt her at first, but soon pleasure started to take over the pain and she tighten her silky walls around him, letting him know she was ready. He started a rhythm moving in and out of her. The feeling was so incredible, neither of them had ever felt like this before. Liz hugged him tighter to her and kissed him intensely. Max felt his release coming, but he held it, waiting for Liz. He reached down and found her delicate nub and pressed down on it, making slow circles. Liz cried out his name and came right with him.
Max collapsed heavily on top of her. Liz wove her hand through his hair and kissed the top of his head. There was no need for words right now, they were in love and this just proved it even more.
PART EIGHTEEN
Four months later:
The Evans family along with Liz were standing outside Max's terminal at Roswell International Airport. Max had already said goodbye to his other friends at the going away party they had for him yesterday. He changed colleges and was now boarding the plane to go to San Francisco State University. He was still majoring in Graphic design, but now had a minor in social work. His mother said goodbye and hugged him for the hundredth time. His father gave him a hug and then Isabel did the same. Isabel was attending New York University to study fashion a month later. Max looked over at Liz next. She bit her bottom lip to keep it from trembling.
"Come on. I'll buy you guys some coffee or something." Isabel told her parents.
Diane cupped her son's cheek with her hand one more time before the three left, leaving Max and Liz. Max grabbed both of her hands with his. His one hand started playing with the ring on her left hand. Liz glanced down at it and smiled.
Three weeks ago, Max's parents let Liz and Max spend the week at their beach house in Vallejo Beach, CA. On their last night there, as they were laying together on the sand watching the sunset over the ocean, Max proposed to Liz.
They had it all planned out. Liz would complete her Senior year of high school and that summer they would be married. She was going to go to SFSU and they were going to live off campus together. Liz never would have thought she'd want to marry so young, but now she couldn't wait to be officially Max's.
"I miss you already." Liz whispered.
Max bent his head down to kiss her sweet lips. "It's only til May. And I'll come back to see you every chance I can."
"I know." Liz's eyes welled up with tears. "I love you so much. I don't know where I'd be right now if it wasn't for you."
Max started kissing each tear as it slid down her cheek. He captured her mouth again and gave her all his love.
"Last boarding to San Francisco Airport." Was announced interrupting them.
Max pulled away. "I gotta go."
Liz nodded. "Call me when you get there."
"I will. I'll see you soon." He gave her a quick kiss before they hugged and then he headed toward the terminal.
Liz watched his retreating form and sighed as she turned around. "Liz, wait!"
Liz spun around on her heels. The next thing she knew Max was lifting her up and kissing her breathlessly.
"I had to do that one more time." He said while pressing his forehead against hers.
Liz gave him one more kiss and smiled. "Now get out of here."
He grinned and went back. "I love you!" He called out.
"I love you Max!"
The flight attendant pushed him in and Liz watched as the doors slowly shut. The tears flowed freely down her face now.
Isabel came back with her parents and the four watched as the plane took off. Then softly playing from the speaker over the gate's ceiling. Liz could hear the song ˜Take my breath away start to play.' Another tear trickled down her face.
"Are you going to be okay?" Isabel asked as she put her arm around Liz's shoulder.
"Yes. I'll always be okay now." Liz replied. Because Max Evans showed her what it means to be loved and she was never going to lose that.

THE END!