A Roswell Nutcracker *complete* CHILD

Finished stories set in an alternate universe to that introduced in the show, or which alter events from the show significantly, but which include the Roswell characters. Aliens play a role in these fics. All complete stories on the main AU with Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

blake
Addicted Roswellian

A Roswell Nutcracker *complete* CHILD

Post by blake »

Title: A Roswell Nutcracker
Author: me
Rating: CHILD, holiday fluff
Category: Z(M)/L
Disclaimer: Neither Roswell, nor the story of the Nutcracker belong to me.
Summary: Liz Parker get a very special Christmas present.
Author's Note: Banner by Mia Nora.

ACT I: Scene I

It was one of those rare Decembers in New Mexico. Claudia Parker stared out the window at the Albuquerque airport, a slight smile on her worn face. Snow blanketed the ground as she gathered her luggage and waited for a taxi, and it continued to fall in wet clumps as the drive began. She sighed lightly and patted her bag, thinking of her little granddaughter. Lizzie would love her present…

14-year-old Liz Parker stared in dismay out the window of her family’s alien-themed restaurant. It was snowing. A rather unusual occurrence for the town of Roswell, and one she would normally delight in, but not today…

“What if Grandma can’t make it in time?” she asked, looking over at her older sister.

Tess smiled and shook her blond curls, “She’ll make it, Lizzie. She always does.” Liz frowned dubiously, but her sister went back to setting the tables that had been pushed together.

It was Christmas Eve, and the Parkers were having their annual Christmas party. There was a tree in the corner of the Crashdown Café, gifts peeking out from underneath the decorated branches. There was one for every person who would be present that night. They’d open that one tonight, and on Christmas day they would stay with their families and open others then.

But tonight was for friends. Liz’s parents were in the kitchen putting the final touches on the traditional elaborate dinner, and Tess was flitting about the dining area, making sure everything was perfect. She was a complete Christmas nazi, and Liz had been alarmed to discover that her friend Isabel Harding was taking after the older girl in that respect.

Speaking of Isabel, Liz was certain she could see the other girl’s long red scarf and ridiculous Christmas tree hat coming down the street at a brisk pace. An older man walked beside her, Izzy’s father, Ed, and behind them ran a boy with spiked hair, another of Liz’s friends, Michael Guerin, who appeared to be throwing snowballs behind him.

“They’re here!” Liz exclaimed. She jumped up and down in excitement, and then smoothed down her hunter green velvet dress. She didn’t want to mess it up, her mother had made it especially for tonight, and it was a much better attempt then that horrid cupcake dress Liz had been forced to wear in kindergarten. Liz suspected Mrs. DeLuca had helped her mom make it.

“Well go let them in,” Tess replied, laughing.

Liz gave a little laugh too and then pulled open the door to the Café, relishing in the little jingle of the bell and the burst of cold air. Mr. Harding nodded in thanks and stepped through, taking the position of door holder from her. Liz gave him a shy smile and went outside into the cold, hugging Isabel in greeting. The other girl squeezed her back and then they were suddenly bombarded by a small blond whirlwind.

“Lizzie! Izzy!”

“Maria!” the other two girls cried, welcoming the third girl into their embrace.

“Aw yuck,” came a disgusted voice, and the three split apart to glare at the four boys who were making faces at them. The parents were smiling indulgently as they made their way into the warmth of the restaurant.

“Maria,” Mrs. DeLuca called, “Play nice. And don’t hurt your brother or your cousin!”

“Mo-om!” Maria exclaimed, “Kyle’s not my brother!” Amy shook her head and smiled at her daughter before letting the door shut behind her. “And Sean deserves whatever he gets,” she muttered. Isabel and Liz giggled.

But it seemed that Mrs. DeLuca’s forewarning was necessary, for, at that exact moment, a snowball hit Maria right in the gut. She shrieked and stared daggers at her cousin, who was wiping snow off his mittens and trying to look innocent. “I saw you Sean DeLuca,” she shouted, bending down to gather snow.

“I was aiming for Parker!” he protested, looking alarmed now as his younger cousin began to expertly pack her snowball. Maria snorted and drew back her arm. Sean yelped and ducked behind Alex Whitman, who was gazing longingly at Isabel and hadn’t noticed the snowball fight that was about to ensue.

“Hey!” he cried as he got a wet one right in the kisser. He blinked his blue eyes rapidly, surprised, and then grinned his famous Whitman grin. “You’re going down DeLuca,” he threatened, scooping up snow and flinging it, but Maria scrambled out of the way and his snowball knocked Isabel’s silly hat right off her golden brown locks. Her expression was one of perfect shock. Liz dissolved into a fit of giggles as Alex rushed forward, picking up her hat and apologizing profusely, his face so hot the snow still sticking to it was melting off.

Isabel gave him a white wash.

And then a full-scale war began.

Alex went after Isabel, and Isabel after Alex. Sean and Michael teamed up to defeat Maria, though their success was minimal, as Maria was an army in and of herself. And Kyle chased Liz around, both chucking a few snowballs, laughing, and just having a blast.

“Children!” They froze and all looked over at the open door of the Crashdown, where Tess stood, smiling, hands on her hips. “Come in before you catch colds.”

The seven of them groaned, but trudged their way in, Maria, Sean, and Michael having a few last minute skirmishes before entering the diner. They took off their coats and hung them up, then went to sit at the table by the adults, faces red from cold and happiness, nursing mugs of hot cocoa with marshmallows.

The sound of a spoon clinging against a crystal glass caught everyone’s attention and Liz’s mom smiled. “Time to eat!” she announced, and Mr. Parker came through the swinging door with a large turkey on a large platter.

“But Grandma Claudia isn’t here yet!” Liz protested, and the other children echoed her complaint. Everyone loved Liz and Tess’ grandma. She always told the coolest stories of her adventures and brought the best presents. And Liz always got something special, something with a magical story attached to it. Liz always treasured her grandma’s gifts, ever since she was little and Grandma had gotten her that pendant, telling her of a love that would cross galaxies. Of a king whose soul mate was a very extraordinary girl with dark eyes and dark hair…

“You grandma called from the airport, “ her mom told her gently, “There were a few delays and she’ll be late, but she said to go ahead with dinner.”

That seemed to be enough for everyone else, and they dug into the delicious meal with relish. But Liz was feeling bereft. She always sat next to Grandma Claudia and gossiped during dinner. Now she was stuck next to her sister, who was cool, and Liz missed her when she was away at college, but Tess wasn’t Grandma Claudia.

She sighed heavily and Tess tugged a strand of her long dark hair. She looked up into her sister’s blue eyes, eyes that only Liz hadn’t inherited, and Tess smiled. “She’ll be here for presents, I asked Mom.”

“Promise?” Liz demanded, brightening.

“I promise,” Tess assured her, and then smiled secretly, “And you’ll love what she’s got for you this year Lizzie,” she confided, “It’s perfect for you, and the fairy-tale attached is absolutely enchanting…” she trailed off, a twinkle so similar to Grandma Claudia’s that Liz squealed, and bounced in her seat.

“What is it?” she asked eagerly.

“I’m not telling.”

“Please?” she begged.

“No.”

“Pretty please?” Liz tried again, giving her sister puppy eyes.

Tess bit her lip, but shook her head. “No, you’ll have to wait until she gets here.” Liz gave a defeated sigh and slumped in her chair. If puppy eyes hadn’t worked, nothing would.

“Liz,” her mother’s voice called from the head of the table, “Sit up straight and pass the stuffing to Sheriff Valenti.”

She did as bid and then stared down at her plate, picking at her food. She was much too excited to eat. Liz tuned out the lively conversations around her, even Michael and Maria’s newest argument, which was quite a feat, and wondered about Grandma Claudia’s gift. What could it possibly be?
blake
Addicted Roswellian

Post by blake »

ACT I: Scene II

“Present time!” Mrs. Parker announced, smiling down at all the kids. It was hard to believe her babies were all grown up. Tess was a freshman in college, coming home only once a month. And Liz…

Nancy sighed, Liz had just started high school, but she hadn’t lost any of her child-like innocence. Even when it was obvious to her mother that she had attracted the attention of both Kyle Valenti and Sean DeLuca in a more than just friends way, Liz only noticed them as the boys she had grown up with, the ones who both teased her and protected her. Liz was more interested in astronomy and fairy tales than gossiping over who liked whom and what the latest fashion trends were. Though Nancy had to admit she liked it better that way, still so naïve and carefree, untouched by the world. And she knew it was balm to her husband’s heart when Liz ran upstairs, fresh from school and kissed her father on the cheek. Jeff especially couldn’t stand the thought of his precious Lizzie growing up.

She sighed again as she watched as her two daughters pass out presents, both faces glowing with merriment. They were so different, and yet so alike.

In a matter of moments, the wrapping paper had been torn off the gifts in ecstatic glee and all eight kids were exclaiming in delight. The parents smiled as they watched them compare gifts, complimenting each other on the “coolness” of their individual presents. Slowly, they remembered the adults and broke away from each other to go hug their parents or guardians with a chorus of “Thank yous!”

Alex ran to his father, guitar in hand, and hugged him, not noticing Mr. Whitman’s wince when the instrument banged him in the back. “Thanks Pop! It’s just what I wanted!” He pulled back, grinning, a smile his father returned, and Alex hauled him over to the case where they both knelt down and examined the case and accoutrements.

Isabel had given her father a sweet kiss on the lips, and whispered thank you, both for her new sweater and for Michael’s new set of drawing pencils, which he was staring at in awe. He looked up and Isabel and her dad, his eyes expressing the appreciation he found hard to say. “Thanks,” he finally said gruffly, then went back to staring at his present, a blush betraying his pleasure. It was the nicest gift he’d ever gotten.

The Deluca-Valenti clan had trooped over to Amy and Jim. Maria granted her mother an excited hug and kiss and Jim an aloof word of thanks for her vials of oil. Sean was dying to try out the Swiss Army knife Aunt Amy had gotten him, so murmured thanks and was off. Kyle nodded at his stepmother and gave his dad a manly one-armed hug for the autographed football.

The Parkers were seated at the counter. Tess was standing, cooing over her new earrings and matching necklace, while Liz was seated on the counter, her feet in her daddy’s lap, her new book open in her lap. There was a smile on her pretty face, and a light of joy in her brown eyes as she blocked out the noise surrounding her, becoming so completely engrossed in the tale of the two star-crossed lovers that she failed to hear the bell on the door chime.

But she didn’t fail to hear the musical, “Honey bear!” Liz looked up immediately, her book forgotten as she jumped off the counter and into her grandmother’s arms. “Merry Christmas, Liz,” Grandma Claudia whispered, and then she stood, “Merry Christmas everybody!”

She was soon crushed from all sides by happy children and parents. Claudia had always been a favorite among the citizens of Roswell, and these people that had had grown up together, both generations of them, were her especial favorites.

“Ooh, enough!” she declared, laughing. She straightened her Santa hat and smiled around at her family. “Now, let’s see what I’ve got in my bag for everyone.” She winked at Liz, whose smile grew in anticipation of a treat.

For Alex there was a set of guitar picks, for Isabel a hand-knitted scarf. Michael got a drawing pad, Maria a four pack of colored body glitter, Kyle received a pair of cowboy boots, and Sean was given a cd he’d been wanting.

Grandma Claudia handed her eldest granddaughter an envelope with a wink. “A congratulations on making the Dean’s List,” she said. Tess nodded and tucked the envelope away in her pants pocket, knowing better than to open it in public. “And now for my honey bear,” she announced. Liz stood in front of her, hands clasped together, looking festive and sweet in her green dress with roses in her cheeks and sugar plums obviously dancing in her head. “Here, “she said, handing the gift to her favorite grandchild.

Liz gasped, taking the toy with a reverent gaze. She cradled it in her arms, a smile lighting her face. It was a Nutcracker, but one unlike any she had ever seen. It’s uniform seem strange, not the normal red soldier suit, but a black chain mail armor with a golden and red metallic sheen to it. There was a sword clasped in one gauntleted hand. Liz frowned and pulled out the pendant Grandma Claudia had given her a few Christmases ago. The same symbol was branded into the Nutcracker’s chest plate. She looked up at her grandmother, who smiled her knowing smile, and Liz looked back down, studying the Nutcracker’s face.

It seemed almost alive. There was a weary, battle-worn look to him, a look that haunted his realistic amber eyes. He wore no cap, but the hair on his head felt real, and Liz touched it gently, running her fingers over the soft, raven strands. A smile came to her face as she touched the slightly large painted ears, and then wavered as her fingers traced the tiny scar on his cheek.

No, her Nutcracker was definitely not a normal present, but then again… What was so great about normal?

She smiled up at her grandma as she hugged the toy to her tenderly. “I love him Grandma, thank you,” she said softly, her doe brown eyes giving more thanks that her words.

“I knew you would honey bear,” her grandma replied, “I just knew you would.”
blake
Addicted Roswellian

Post by blake »

ACT I: Scene III

She wasn’t sure what it was that woke her up, but as Liz lay in that moment between dreaming and waking, she knew something was wrong. Her breath caught in her throat as she lay still beneath her covers. The wind blew softly into her room from her open balcony window, bringing the chill of winter to her. But it did nothing to mask the small sounds coming from downstairs.

She froze even more, not sure if she was hearing correctly, but as she continued to listen she became more and more sure that someone had broken into the Crashdown. Fear washed over her, causing her heart to beat faster in her breast, and she clutched her blanket to her as she sat up. Should she wake Daddy? Call Sheriff Valenti?

Her Nutcracker! A gasp escaped her as she remembered her new present, still standing tall and proud beneath the tree. What if the burglar stole him?

With that thought in mind, she leaped from the bed and ran downstairs, her Victorian style nightgown flowing around her as she crept quickly down the stairs into the back room of the café. She peered through the diamond shaped window and had to clamp her hand over her mouth at what she saw.

In the moonlit café stood a large group of people, all seemed to be waiting for something as they stared at an average sized man with blond hair. Liz didn’t understand what was happening, but her trepidation increased tenfold. What were they doing here? The cash register had been emptied and there was nothing in the Crashdown of value, especially around the now barren Christmas tree.

Except her Nutcracker.

The blond man in charge turned toward her direction in response to a question voiced by the boy standing beside him. Liz ducked, heart racing, and hoping to God that he had not seen her with those cold blue eyes of his. It seemed he had not, for there was no sound of footsteps coming toward her, and she had made up her mind to go wake her father, when a searing blue light emanated through the small window.

Curiosity suddenly getting the better of her, she pushed the door open slightly and peeked out, mouth dropping. Another person was there, a young man maybe a few years older than her, standing defiantly, the symbol on his chest plate glowing a gentle blue.

Liz’s eyes were drawn to that symbol, the color fading to the same black color as his armor. Armor with a red-gold sheen, and above that armor was a strong face, with a mop of black hair, and slightly large ears. There were also a pair of haunted amber eyes, guarded at the moment, but she could read the pain hidden in them.

Her Nutcracker.

“Did you think you could hide forever Zan?” the blond man drawled, his voice arrogant and demanding.

A small smile crossed her Nutcracker’s face and he placed his hand on the hilt of his sword. “I was not hiding, K’var,” he responded, his voice low and husky. It made Liz shiver with heat from her hiding place.

“May I remind you, it was not I who usurped a throne and caused my mother to panic into extreme measures.”

“But panic she did, Zan, and a throne you lost,” was the purring reply, “And I’m here to make sure it stays that way.”

“I’m surprised you dragged your worthless self across the universe for it, normally you leave such petty details to your mindless little minions.” The golden brown eyes switched from the blond leader to the boy beside him, and distaste became obvious, “Speaking of, how are you Nicholas?”

“Much better than you’re going to be,” was the haughty reply. The brown-haired boy snapped his fingers, and immediately half the group separated and took control of her Nutcracker. Her body made an involuntary move of protest as they forced him to his knees.

“Where’s the Granilith, Zan?” the one called K’var asked. Her Nutcracker, Zan, didn’t answer, he merely stayed on his knees, passive, and stared serenely back up at K’var, who’s lip curled back in loathing. “Nicholas,” he snapped tersely.

The boy stepped forward, and Liz could see the evil smile on his features as he put his hand to Zan’s head. After a moment a groan of pain escaped her Nutcracker, his face contorted as if he was being tortured. She felt his pain as if it were his own, and before she knew it she was leaving her secret location and running to his side. “No!” She pushed the Nicholas boy away as well as the people holding Zan down. Normally, she was sure it wouldn’t have worked, but they seemed in shock and fell away easily.

Her Nutcracker rose to his feet, his eyes registering just as much surprise as his tormentors at her appearance. She stared up at him, her body close to his, and she felt everything in her just stop as a sense of certainty rushed through her. A sense of rightness, and then it was interrupted as the assemblage of people regrouped, moving to take hold of both of them.

A ring of metal on metal was their only warning as one of the advancing men suddenly turned to dust. Liz stared at Zan as he pushed her behind him. “Let her go,” he ordered, “She’s human, she has nothing to do with this.”

K’var chuckled, a sound that grated Liz’s nerves. “But it appears she does Zan.” He took a step forward, and as Zan turned to meet his attack, two men and a woman grabbed Liz from the rear. A muffled shout of surprise escaped her and Zan spun, only to have his sword knocked from his hand as he was recaptured.

Tears stung Liz’s eyes as she watched him struggle against his captors, looking at her helplessly with those amazing eyes. Why wasn’t her family waking up? They needed help…

And then K’var was before her, looking at her with disinterest. “Who are you?” he demanded. Liz remained silent. He sighed, “Do not irk me with false bravado, little girl,” he said, “It tires me. Now, tell me what you have to do with our wayward prince here?” He gestured to her Nutcracker with the stolen sword.

“Nothing,” Zan spat out, fighting his subjugators.

“Nothing?” K’var repeated, one eyebrow raised. He turned back to Liz. “Do you have ‘nothing’ to do with him?”

She lifted her chin, and felt her pendent slip out of the loose ties at her neck. K’var grasped it before she could retort rebelliously to his inquiry. She drew her breath sharply as the chain it was on snapped at the back of her neck. Liz bit her lip to keep back a cry of pain as she was jerked back by her holders. K’var stared down at the pendant, and then back at her, a cruel smile on his handsome face, and then he turned back to Zan.

He opened his hand, and the pendant went dangling down. He waved it at Zan, the silver symbol, matching that on Zan’s armor, flashed slightly. “Does this look like nothing?”

He sent her a quick, searching look, his shock evident, but then he masked the expression and opened his mouth to give a scathing reply, when a cry of astonishment came from the rank of the groups and everyone turned to see a new group of men, all dressed in armor similar to Zan’s. “Rath?” Zan exclaimed, amazed.

The man, who reminded Liz vaguely of Michael, bowed. “Your Highness,” he said, and then, as if a silent signal had been given, the two factions descended on each other. Liz, suddenly free, was confused as men and women locked into hand-to-hand combat around her, and then Zan was there, urging her behind the counter.

She looked up at him as he knelt beside her. His amber eyes gazed into hers, and she felt her heart speed up again, only this time, it wasn’t from fear. “Stay here, you’ll be safe,” he commanded, and she nodded. He peered over the counter and the moved back to her, taking her hand and dropped her pendant into it. “We will talk when this is over, my lady,” he promised, and then he was gone.

Liz clasped the necklace tightly in her hand and looked over the counter herself. A battle was being waged in the middle of her parent’s restaurant. What amazed her most was the fact that every time one of Zan’s soldiers triumphed, one of the others, K’var’s people, disappeared in a flurry of dust. She watched closely, noticing that Zan’s people always went for the back, a spot at the end of the spine. She bit her lip, thinking that she was dreaming, that this entire thing was not possible.

But then she saw Zan on the floor, K’var bearing down on him, and all rational thought fled. Her Nutcracker was in danger. Liz grabbed one of the thick soda glasses and hurled it at K’var, hoping all those years of playing pick-up softball games with the boys would pay off.

And it did. K’var dissolved on top of Zan in a flurry of dust and glass shards. And in a few more seconds, all the other attackers were gone and the man Zan had called Rath reached out a hand to help her Nutcracker up off the floor of the Crashdown. They stared at one another for a long moment, and then turned to her as she came out from behind the counter. They all bowed to her, except Zan, who took her hands and placed a tender kiss to both palms. “Your name, my lady?” he inquired, eyes locked on hers.

“Liz,” she breathed, “Elizabeth Parker.”

He smiled a heartbreaking smile, and did not release her hands. “Well, Lady Liz, I am Prince Zan of Antar, and you have just saved my world.”
blake
Addicted Roswellian

Post by blake »

ACT I: Scene IV

The stars were dancing.

Liz studied the reflection through the inverted cone. Space was colored a bright plum, the stars a mix of white, blue, and pink swirling by faster than the eye can see. She looked over to Zan and Rath, who were conversing quietly across the chamber. She couldn’t believe what had happened to her.

After the battle, Zan had asked her to accompany him back to his home planet. She had said yes without hesitating. Before she knew it, she was in a Jeep surrounded by serious men in armor on her way to the desert. They had arrived at the Granilith, a spaceship and holy relic on Antar, and she, the Prince, and Commander Rath had entered the chamber. The other soldiers had disappeared through a space rip to prepare the members of the Whirlwind Alliance for Prince Zan’s return.

The chamber was silver and round in shape, with the actual Granilith in the center. The Granilith was the clear cone from which Liz watched the universe they were traveling through go by. She seemed to have become a part of a science fiction fairy tale. That her Nutcracker was actually a handsome prince who asked her to trek the galaxy with him was strange and wonderful and mind-boggling. It was something out of her dreams.

“We should be there shortly, my Lady.”

Her head whipped around, and she felt herself blushing furiously. Zan was mere inches from her, and it made her flustered. She met his gorgeous eyes stare for stare. “I never thought something like this would happen to me,” Liz breathed, her hands twisting in her nightgown so that she wouldn’t reach out to touch him, “It’s too amazing.”

“You are the amazing one,” he said softly, “The way you saved my life… It was bravely done, my Lady.” His golden brown eyes were frankly admiring. Liz felt her blush deepen.

“It’s just Liz, your Highness,” she murmured.

A slow half-smile spread across his striking face, “Then I am just Zan, Liz.” He reached out in a subconscious movement and tucked a strand of her silky brown hair behind one of her ears. She blushed even more deeply and swayed toward him, her slippered feet crossing the scant inches quickly.

“Zan,” she repeated, staring up at him. Liz’s breath caught in her throat as his head tilted downward. Her first kiss…

A throat clearing brought them back into the real world, and the two teenagers moved apart, both red in the face. “Your Highness?” Rath prompted, his eyebrows raised. The Prince stared at the older man, trying to remember what they had been discussing before Liz captivated his attention.

“Oh!” he exclaimed, turning back to Liz. He took one of her hands in his own, unable to not touch her, and felt his gaze captured by her bottomless one once more. “Liz,” he said, “ I must ask what you know of Antar, and of the Whirlwind Alliance.”

Confusion crossed her features and she shook her head, “I don’t know anything about either, besides the fact that you are the Prince of Antar, Zan.”

He smiled reassuringly and reached out with his free hand, drawing the pendant out of her nightgown. The broken chain had been repaired with a wave of his hand, and he had fastened reverently around her neck before they departed Earth. “Then may I ask what you know of the pendant?”

Liz nodded, and looked down at the swirling silver symbol, a smile flitting across her face as she recalled the Christmas Grandma Claudia had given it to her. “My grandmother gave it to me years ago,” she informed him, “She said it was attached to a fairy tale of a love between a king and a girl with dark hair and eyes. A love that would cross galaxies.” She lifted her head and met his eyes again.

“That is a lovely thought,” he told her, his expression gentle. “In truth, the pendant was meant for my clone.”

“Clone?” she echoed, brow furrowing. His planet’s technology must be far beyond Earth’s.

“I do not know how much you heard of the confrontation between K’var and I, but I mentioned my mother resorting to extreme measures.” Liz nodded encouragingly, and he continued, “When I was trapped by the Skins, those were the beings we faced, my mother had my essence cloned and sent to earth along with my own true self, with the Granilith to protect us from discovery and giving us a way home.” He paused and looked at Rath. “Something, apparently, sent off a signal that both Rath and K’var picked up. It led them to me.”

“What of your clone?” Liz inquired, her scientific mind curious.

His expression became very serious, and he took his gaze away to stare at the cone, the stars still rushing by. “I know not, Liz,” he informed her, “That he was born is obvious, we climbed through his pod, but the fact that your grandmother came into possession of both the pendant and my trapped form suggests something went wrong.”

“Will he be all right?” she asked.

His other hand clasped her other hand, and he lifted both to his lips, kissing both her palms. Liz was positive her cheeks couldn’t get any pinker, it had to be physiologically impossible, but she was wrong. The flush seemed to consume her entire body now.

“You’re concern is heartwarming, Liz. When all has been settled on Antar, Rath will return to your planet and find him. If he desires to remain where he is, then he shall. If he desires to return, then he shall. Now that K’var is defeated, a normal life is possible. For both of us.”

“Is normal good?”

He grinned, but his eyes held that haunted look. “I have been royalty all my life. What is normal for me is not normal for all, but I would give much to go back to the way it was. Before K’var and his Skins betrayed the Alliance, and war became a part of every day life.”

Liz was unable to stop herself from him and, heedless of Rath’s watchful gaze, embraced her Nutcracker tightly. Zan’s arms went around her in return, and she discovered that she fit perfectly against his body, chain mail and all. They were still for a few brief moments, her head tucked under his chin, and then the slowing of ship caught up with them.

Zan turned from the hold, but kept his arm loosely around her shoulders. He pointed to the view. “That is Antar, Liz, my planet.”

“Amazing,” she breathed, wide-eyed. The planet was all red seas and lush green land. She observed the changes as the went through the atmosphere of the new planet, landmarks coming into focus, details vivid… It was so exciting; she almost thought she was dreaming. It was only Zan’s warmth that told her she wasn’t, that this experience was really happening.

The city from above seemed small, but it rapidly got larger as they descended. Liz clung to Zan, a bit frightened at the land coming up to meet them so fast, but his rich chuckle caused her to straighten her shoulders and give him a stern glance of reprimand. She was fairly certain that princes were not supposed to tease ladies.

The three passengers felt the jar as the ship docked in what the man Rath was talking to termed a spaceport. She listened inquisitively to the exchange while Zan stared anxiously through the Granilith. “Mother,” he said suddenly, and looked quickly to Rath.

The Commander, who had been aloof, suddenly let a wide grin break out across his features. “Queen Mirli of Antar, King Larak of Erlet, Queen Kathana of Cihna, Queen Sero of Nasip, King Hanar of Riasus, and Kal of Baaria are awaiting your Highness’ presence on deck.” He acknowledged Liz with a nod. “And also that of your savior.”

She blushed at the implication and hid slightly behind Zan. He gave her a supportive smile. “Do not fear. For your acts, you will be a heroine.” He held out an arm, which she accepted timidly, unsure of how these introductions would proceed.

But before she had any more time to think, the entrance to the chamber opened.
blake
Addicted Roswellian

Post by blake »

ACT II: Scene I

Nervous, Liz followed along behind Zan toward the group of people gathered around the base of the exit ramp. He seemed excited to see them all and embraced an older woman enthusiastically. Liz remembered him saying “mother” and figure this must be she.

Zan’s mother looked nothing like her son. She was a slightly plump, but tall, woman with long, graying blond hair and eyes the color of summer skies on Earth. She was crying profusely, the crown on her head askew, and hugging Liz’s Nutcracker as if he would disappear. Liz felt tears come to her own eyes at the joyful reunion.

When Zan separated from his mother, a younger man enveloped him in a hug and then punched his shoulder, grinning with pleasure. Zan grinned back and then greeted the four remaining members of the welcoming party with handshakes for the men and kisses on the hand for the women.

“Ah,” he said, as they made to lead him away, “One moment. May I present Liz Parker of Earth?” He turned to Liz and held out his hand. She took it shyly, her eyes on the rulers who were now staring at her, very much conscious that she wore only her nightgown. “Liz, this is my mother, Mirli,” he gestured to the woman he had hugged. Liz gave a nod of acknowledgement. She was afraid her legs would give out if she tried to curtsey.

“And my best friend, Larak, ruler of the planet Erlet,” Another gesture to the red-haired man who had punched him. “Queen Kathana of Cihna,” was a tall, thin woman with hair the color of firelight. “King Hanar of Riasus,” was a large man whose skin was the color of obsidian, and just as shiny. He was the most alien alien she had seen thus far. “Queen Sero of Nasip,” was four feet tall and round as an apple, she looked to Liz to have a grumpy disposition. And finally was “Kal, the representative of the Baarian race,” a bald man with skin tinged gray and large black eyes.

“How do you do?” she asked politely.

They didn’t reply, just continued staring. Larak did manage a small smile, his eyes darting to Zan. “Zan?” Mirli queried, her eyes locked on their linked hands.

“Liz saved my life Mother,” he gave her hand a squeeze, smiling, “Without her help I would not have been able to return.”

“Ah.” The Queen nodded and came forward, a slight lift to her pink lips. “Antar gives you welcome, child of Earth.”

“Thank you,” she replied, “But it’s just Liz if you please…your majesty.”

“As you wish,” Mirli conceded. She turned to her fellow rulers and gave them a benevolent smile. “Please friends, retire to the Couloir, refreshments are waiting and tonight we will celebrate my son’s homecoming.” The others nodded assent, and after expressing their delight at Zan’s return again, took themselves off to the great hall as the Queen suggested.

“Mother,” Zan murmured, signaling Rath to follow the dignitaries, “What of the Skins? How was the castle reclaimed?”

The blue eyes were serious as the Queen hooked her arm through her son’s free one and started the pair of teenagers walking. “K’var tricked us for a long time. There was a plague that swept through Antar a few years ago. Most of our informants were infected and did not recover, and thus we did not realize how many of his people he truly lost. When K’var picked up the signal indicating your location, he took the remaining Skins with him to Earth.”

Zan stopped walking, causing Liz and Mirli to stop as well. He gaped at his mother, “Do you mean to tell me that those twenty or so Skins were all that were left?”

His mother nodded, “We of the Alliance all felt very foolish when the discovery was made, but in the end it has all worked out. Oh Zan,” she embraced him once more and Liz moved away, giving them their moment, “You do not know the fear I have faced these years…The elation I felt knowing my baby was coming home.”

The Prince smiled and hugged his mother, “I know the elation, Mother. I know it well.” He managed to twist his head and find Liz. “We will talk later, mother,” he said, stepping back and reclaiming Liz’s hand, “Now we must find something suitable for my lady to wear to tonight’s festivities.”

Liz flushed from embarrassment. “I’m sorry to be a bother, but I really would appreciate a different outfit.” She looked sheepishly at the Queen and then back up at Zan when he stepped in front of her.

“You will never be a bother, Liz,” he informed her seriously. She blushed again out of pleasure. Suddenly there was again that subconscious leaning toward each other. Liz found herself tilting her chin as he bent his head.

“What did happen with K’var?” The crisp question jolted Liz and her Nutcracker back to the real world.

Zan looked at his mother, his ears red, “I will explain all tonight, Mother. Right now Liz’s comfort should be our priority.”

“Of course,” Mirli concurred, giving Liz a once over, “Come, I believe she is the same size as Princess Ava. I am sure the princess will donate one of her less worn dresses to our honored guest.”

“Thank you,” Liz said, heartfelt gratitude in her soft voice.

“Ava came with Larak?” Zan asked, pulling Liz along as they followed the Queen. She tripped on her slippers a few times as she stared around at her surroundings, but Zan waited patiently for her to set herself to rights before they continued to what were, seemingly, this Princess Ava’s chambers.

“She came before Larak.” Mirli knocked on the large double doors and waited for a response. “She is most excited to see you again.”

“Queen Mirli?” The door was opened by a girl slightly older than Liz, but younger than Zan. Her dress was sunshine yellow, her eyes light blue, and her pin curls were powder pink. Liz stared in awe. “What is the- ZAN!” Yellow skirts flying, the pink-haired girl threw herself at the Antarian Prince. “You’re home!” she squealed happily as Zan twirled her around.

“I am,” he agreed, setting her on her feet and tapping her on the nose, “Thank you for the enthusiastic welcome.” Liz watched as Ava’s cheeks turned as pink as her hair. “Ava, may I introduce you to Liz, who has come seeking your aid.” He turned the princess to face Liz. “Liz, this is Larak’s younger sister , Ava.”

“Hello,” Liz said, smiling.

“Hello,” Ava echoed. She exchanged a look with Mirli and offered Liz a tentative smile. “You need my aid?”

“We left Earth in somewhat of a hurry,” Zan explained, “I was hoping you could let Liz borrow one of your dresses for tonight.” Liz watched, amused, as he opened his dazzling eyes wide and turned them into pools of cuteness. Puppy dog eyes, she thought, even on another planet. “Please?” And they work here as well, she mused as Ava seemed to cave.

“I’d be happy to help,” Ava said. She met Liz’s eyes and motioned the other girl inside her rooms. “I’m sure I have something that will fit. Mirli? Would you care to provide your expertise?” The Queen nodded and entered behind Liz. Zan made to follow. “Oh no,” Ava scolded, “This is girls only, you wait here.” She shut the door in his face.

Liz felt nervous for the second time that day when confronted with two alien beauties, but she managed a genuine smile. “I’ll leave myself in your hands,” she told them, “I have no idea how Antarian fashion works.”

“I think I know a few we can try,” Ava said, opening her closet and rummaging through it.

“So how old are you Liz?” the queen asked, seating herself on the large bed and patting the spot next to her in invitation.

“I’m fourteen, your majesty,” Liz replied, sitting down straight-backed.

“So young,” Mirli exclaimed, surprised, “Such beauty at such a young age.” She tilted her head, “I assume you are aware that Zan is eighteen.”

“I had guessed, “Liz said, unsure where the queen was going with a discussion on ages.

“It is hard to, in essence, rule a planet at such a tender age, but he has pulled it off miraculously well. You see dear,” she gave Liz a fond smile, “Ten years has passed since the incident that left Zan trapped. Ava was only six when it happened, and Larak eighteen as well. They were all very close, and it devastated all who loved him.”

“I can imagine,” Liz murmured, wide-eyed.

“Seeing Zan now, no older than he was when he left, is a trifle upsetting. I feel like quite an old woman next to him. And Larak must feel lonely, unable to grow up with his best friend. But Ava… She is in a position to have all her childhoods dreams come true now that my son has returned.” Mirli’s look was pointed.

Liz was confused, she knew from the look that she was supposed to be comprehending something, but… “I’m afraid I don’t understand.”

Blue eyes blinked, “Well, you see Zan is at a marr-“

“Found them!” Ava exclaimed, interrupting Queen Mirli. She emerged from the cavernous closet with three dresses. “They’re a little old, but my newer ones won’t fit.” She blushed. “My bust line has increased a bit in the past couple of years,” she confided.

“I’m sure they’ll be fine,” Liz assured her, “Thank you.”

Ava tossed her curls and handed Liz the garments. “You can change behind the screen,” she said, pointing to a folded screen gilded with gold standing in a corner. Liz nodded and trudged over, her arms full of cloth.

The first dress was as pink as Ava’s hair and too loose around her top half. The second was a lovely, dark amber that reminded Liz of Zan’s eyes, but it was much too heavy and there were so many rosettes it made her dizzy. When she put on the third dress though, she nearly cried out at the perfect fit.

It was white trimmed in silver, sleeveless, and traveled sleekly down her form until her waist, where the skirt belled out. She twirled a little, liking the swish around her ankles. It even covered her slippers. “I think this one will do perfectly,” she called to the waiting women.

“Let us see, dear,” Mirli called back.

Liz stepped from the screen. “How does it look?”

Ava smiled, “Perfect.”

Both girls looked to the queen for her opinion. Mirli was white as a ghost. “Where did you get that?” she demanded faintly, her eyes on Liz’s neck.

The Earth girl’s hand traveled to her throat, where the pendant nestled snugly, revealed by the somewhat low neckline of the dress. “My grandmother gave it to me,” she said softly. The Queen seemed to struggle for words. “Zan told me about his clone. He said that Commander Rath would return to my planet to look for him once things here were settled.” She moved to the bed, and bravely took the queen’s hands. “I truly don’t know how my grandmother came to have the pendant,” Liz told her, “But I’m certain everything will work out in the end, it always seems to when Grandma Claudia is involved.”

There was a booming knock on the outer door, and Zan’s voice asked if they were ready. The three women glanced at each other and moved toward the door as one. Ava opened it, “Ten years certainly hasn’t had any affect on your manners, has it?” she inquired dryly, moving aside for the Queen.

“Really Zan,” his mother continued, “Princes do not shout at ladies.”

But he wasn’t listening. Zan’s eyes were locked on Liz as she came out of the room. “You look beautiful,” he breathed.

Liz blushed, “Thank you.”

“I…I got this for you,” he said, extending a hand. There was a slim silver chain, much like the one her pendant hung on, resting in his palm. “It’s a bracelet,” he explained, fastening it around her wrist, “I thought is would compliment the necklace.”

“Thank you,” Liz whispered again, getting lost in his eyes.

“We should be going Zan,” Queen Mirli once again interrupted the moment, “The guests have been awaiting your presence anxiously.”

“Of course,” Zan said swiftly, “Forgive me for delaying our arrival.” He extended an arm to Liz, and one to his mother, who pushed Ava to take it. “Let us hurry,” he said, grinning at Liz, “I am anxious to tell them of my brave rescuer.”

Ava looked at Liz curiously, Mirli watched her son and the Earth girl worriedly, Zan gazed at Liz adoringly, and Liz, unaware of the dilemma she represented, blushed furiously at the praise.
blake
Addicted Roswellian

Post by blake »

ACT II: Scene II

Halfway to the great hall, which Mirli had termed the Couloir, Liz’s attention was caught by a large window that revealed the city skyline. When Zan noticed her lagging, and the reason behind it, he smiled and stopped walking.

“Zan?” his mother questioned. She had been walking a head of the three young people, anxious to reach her waiting guests.

“Why don’t you and Ava go on ahead?” he suggested, giving the pink-haired girl on his other arm a fond smile. Ava smiled back and removed her arm from his, walking toward Queen Mirli.

“Zan,” Mirli said curtly, but he interrupted before she could continue.

“Liz and I will be there shortly, mother.” His tone brooked no room for argument, and Liz, standing by his side, looked at him sharply. It was obvious to her that Zan and his mother were having a contest of wills over some subject, perhaps even the one that had escaped her during her and the queen’s earlier conversation, and that Zan appeared to be winning.

“Your guests are waiting for you,” Mirli said in a last ditch effort to make him obey.

“They have waited ten years,” Zan stated insensitively, “A few more minutes will not make a difference.” He turned away from the two royal and started leading Liz to the window. “I will escort Liz to the Couloir in my own time, mother.” He gave her a backwards glance and sent Ava a thankful grin as he saw the little princess trying to usher Mirli forward.

Liz glanced at him shyly from beneath her lashes, very conscious of his hand on her arm. She had never been this aware of a boy before, not even Kyle or Sean managed to give her the fluttery feeling Zan gave her when he looked at her. It was a very exciting feeling. “I don’t want to cause a rift between you and your mother,” she whispered, not looking at him.

“What do you speak of, Liz?” he asked, staring at the top of her head as they came to a halt before the window, “What rift?”

She bit her bottom lip and peered up at him. “I sense, when I talk to Queen Mirli, a sort of… I want to say hesitance.” Liz tucked a strand of her brown hair behind her right ear. “I feel like she’s trying to tell me something important, but I’m not quite making the right connections. And I think it’s also something she expects you to know, but I’m not sure you’re aware of it either.”

Zan appeared to think on her words and on what he wanted to say before he replied. “My mother has always expected a great deal of me, Liz, more so because I am a prince as well as her child. She also expects me to live up to the ideals the Antarian people have of me and to act how the other royals in the Alliance demand I act. When I became King after my father passed, those expectations grew larger.” He gave her a sheepish smile. “I admit I did not always fulfill my obligations, though I tried my hardest. I think you are right, Liz, in what you said. She seems to want to me to know something, but she does not see fit to tell me. You may also be correct in assuming that it is to do with you. Your presence was something of a surprise to my mother,” he flashed a wicked grin, “And my mother hates surprises.”

She blinked, alarmed at the thought that the queen might hate her. “Then-“

“Enough talk of my mother, Liz,” Zan interjected, smiling. He gestured her attention to the view, “You wanted to see the city.”

“I did,” she agreed, putting the Queen to the back of her mind and taking a good look outside. The city below was a mix of high-tech and an older style, the blend was strangely charming. “What’s that?” she asked as she pointed to a large building separated from the rest of the bustling metropolis. The style made her think of ancient Roman architecture.

“That is the temple dedicated to the Granilith. The shrine is even now being prepared for the relic’s return. In a few days my mother and I will escort the Granilith itself through the city to it’s resting place.” He was smiling as he stared down at his home, watching his people walking through the streets and the sky vehicles driving along the airway. “It is good to be home,” he murmured.

Liz felt her own smile start, watching him. He was a true prince. The nobility was obvious when you looked at him, but that he was so proud of his people and his planet proved that he truly was meant to be a ruler. She squeezed his hand gently. “And that one?”

“That’s the Forum,” he informed her, “In times of crisis, or if any planet needs a conference, we host a Summit there.”

“So Antar’s kinda like the center of the universe?” she teased, giggling when he blushed.

“In a way, I suppose that’s true,” he conceded, staring to grin back.

“Your Highness.” The two teenagers turned to face the liveried servant. The boy bowed. “Queen Mirli requests your presence in the great hall.”

Zan made a face, but nodded at the boy. “Inform her that we are on our way.” Another bow, and the boy ran off. Zan turned to Liz. “Do you mind?” he queried.

She shook her head and stepped away, toward the walkway. “We’ve been longer than she expected no doubt. I wouldn’t want to make her angry.”

“Yes,” Zan agreed as he took her arm and led her to their destination, “I have been remiss in my duties to my mother in the brief hour I’ve been back.” He sounded bitter, and Liz looked at him sharply, pressing his arm in support. He stared down at her surprised, but then graced her with a gentle smile. “Besides the politics, what do you think of my home Liz?”

Before she had time to formulate her answer, to gush about how amazing the whole experience was, doors opened in front of them. Liz blinked when they opened and stared into the huge, ornate room. At the end of a long blue carpet was a large carved throne with two smaller thrones off to either side. Mirli was sitting in one. Liz stood on her tiptoes to whisper in Zan’s ear. “Was your father a very large man?” she asked, curious as to the size of the seat.

The Prince stared at her, then at the throne, and then started laughing. “It is a joint throne, Liz,” he explained, “The king and queen sit side by side, to show their unity in all aspects of Antar’s pronouncements.” He looked over at the herald and nodded. “Come,” he said, stepping forward.

“King Zan of Antar and the Lady Liz of Earth!” the herald proclaimed.

Liz took a deep breath and kept her head high as she walked in sync with Zan. She refused to look to either side at all the people gathered, but as she trained her eyes forward, she realized it meant staring at Queen Mirli. Breaking her resolve she let her eyes slide away. They landed on Ava, standing next to her brother. The older girl gave her an encouraging smile and a thumbs up. Liz responded with a smile and brought her gaze back to the standing queen.

Mirli’s eyes were on her son, and she was smiling proudly, but Liz noticed the shadows in her eyes as the approached. Zan nodded to his mother as he, to Liz’s immense surprise, led her to the double throne and seated her beside him. It was just as obvious that this move was unexpected to those congregated in the Couloir. They began to look at her speculatively, causing her to blush deeply as she gazed shyly back at them.

“Friends,” Zan announced as he stood, “I am pleased that all of you could be here today to welcome me home. It is truly a joyous day now that Antar and all of the Alliance is free from K’var’s tyrannical influence.” The assembly all clapped and cheered. “However…” And everyone began to quiet. Zan turned to Liz and took her hand, bringing her to her feet. “This day would not have been possible without the Lady Liz’s help.” He clasped Liz’s other hand and stared deeply into her eyes. “It was she who saved me when my own soldiers could not. It was she who risked her own life to destroy our mutual enemy when I could not. It is to she whom our allegiances are owed.” He turned back to the visiting dignitaries and their entourages. “I ask you now to welcome her into our midst as the savior of the Alliance.”

Much to Liz’s embarrassment, the people surrounding them began to clap and whistle and chant her name. “Please,” she said loudly over the noise, “I really didn’t do that much.” It did nothing to quiet the roaring of Antar’s compatriots. She looked to Zan for help. “Truly Zan, I merely saw that you were in trouble and I couldn’t just do nothing…” Not when her Nutcracker had been in danger.

“Your modesty is admirable Liz,” he said lowly, “But you did more than you realize, and I would see you appreciated for it. Not many would act so bravely in such alien circumstances.” She shook her head and opened her mouth to protest again, but Zan placed a finger to her lips and gestured her to sit back down. He sat beside her as his friends began to quiet.

Queen Mirli stood and smiled benevolently at her guests. “If everyone will please be seated, we will start the festivities in my son’s honor.” She looked up at her son, who returned her gaze pointedly. “And in the Lady Liz’s,” she added stiffly.

The visitors all sat, clapping as the first of the evening’s entertainers entered through the double doors.
blake
Addicted Roswellian

Post by blake »

ACT II: Scene III

The first dance, Zan informed her, was a traditional victory dance from Nasip. The performers, however, were Antarian as Nasipians rarely ventured from their homeworld. There were three couples, the women dressed in bright colors who entered in a dashing fashion and continued to dazzle the onlookers throughout their lively dance.

Following the colorful display, the music darkened a bit, becoming beguiling and seductive. In came a man, a woman dressed in glittering gauze balanced on his shoulders. Zan informed Liz that these performers came from the lost planet of Baaria, and that they were shapeshifters. She watched, captivated as the couple twisted themselves around one another in a complicated routine to the pulsation of the music.

As the couple departed, three men came tumbling in and the music again became lively and made Liz feel giddy. Zan did not have to tell her that these were Riasusian dancers for their skin gave them away. Like their king’s each man’s complexion shown like a jewel, sparking as they leaped and kicked and twirled and spun to the fast tempo of the melody. Liz broke into thunderous applause as they left as vivaciously as they had entered.

Next came a man with what looked to Liz like a wheelbarrow, in which were two women. The women, who were so tall, Liz just knew they were from Kathana’s planet, moved like large dolls, each move in conjunction with each other and the trills of the music. She found them fascinatingly pretty, and clapped loudly as the wheelbarrow man took them away again.

What amazed Liz about the next entertainers was their hair. One of the two girls’ hair was robin egg blue, and the other’s was the color of Ava’s dress. She watched as the long locks swirled around them through their ballet-style dance, their flutes never leaving their lips as they danced. Zan whispered that they had just seen an Erletish folk dance that he and Larak used to amuse Ava with as children. Liz laughed, finding it hard to imagine her Nutcracker Prince and the serious young King of Erlet would ever dance so delicately. In answer to her disbelief Zan muttered that he had never said they did it well.

“And now,” Mirli announced, standing after Larak’s people departed, “As a grand finale, we present the Waltz of the Star Dancers.”

The room flooded with dancers. Liz looked to Zan to explain, but his eyes were riveted on a young woman with short hair dressed in pink that was dancing as if her life depended on it. Liz watched her as well, noting the graceful way she moved through the other performers. She danced first through a group in blue, and then one in white, and a line of violet, and finally she twirled alone, the others slowly stopping as they surrounded her. All slid to the floor, watching the woman in pink.

“Her eyes are sad,” Liz noted softly.

“She was in love with K’var,” Zan replied, his eyes regretful, “His betrayal hurt her far deeper than any other.”

The waltz ended and Zan stood, clapping hard, and the others assembled followed suit. The dancers bowed and then left the room, all except the woman with the sad eyes. Zan descended from the throne and stood before her. Her dark eyes regarded him warily, but then she smiled. “Welcome home, my brother,” she said, reaching out to hug him.

Zan hugged her back. “It is good to be home Vilandra,” he responded. He led her to the unoccupied lower throne where she sat gracefully. They stayed there for a few moments, talking quietly, while the rest of the guests began to mingle. The music floated softly around the large hall.

Liz sat awkwardly on the double throne, her eyes on Zan as he spoke with his sister and then was taken away by Larak. She was afraid to talk with these alien beings she did not know, especially when she was sure they didn’t know what to make of her. She was saved from having to make uncomfortable small talk as Queen Mirli sat herself beside the Earth girl and patted her knee.

“You look lonely,” she said conversationally.

Liz blushed, “I suppose I feel out of place.”

Mirli nodded as if she understood. “We have never had a child of Earth in our galaxy. We have studied your people, of course, in order to ensure Zan’s safety while he was on the planet as well as his clone’s.”

“I still don’t understand why a clone was necessary,” Liz said.

Zan’s mother looked into the crowd, and Liz saw her gaze fall on her son. “Zan means the world to me, Liz. I could never comprehend Vilandra the way I could Zan. He’s my baby and I love him more than life itself.” Mirli looked back to Liz. “When K’var attacked, he managed to trap Zan. I panicked, I couldn’t stand the thought of never seeing him again, so I resorted to extreme measures. The Baarians are a technologically advanced race, when their planet was lost my husband invited them to make Antar their home. Most did, and they began working with our own scientists. The cloning technology was simple to adapt, but Earth’s atmosphere was hostile to our races if left there for more than 42 hours. Zan was safe in his trapped form, but the clone would not be.”

“Does that mean I won’t survive here?” Liz interjected, “If our planets’ atmospheres are so different.”

“In all likelihood, yes.” She looked sympathetic. “That is why I was trying to express you and Zan’s dissimilarities. I would not want you two to get attached to one another and be unable to be together.”

Liz blushed, thinking that perhaps it was already too late to prevent them from having feeling for each other. “I just thought you didn’t like me,” she admitted.

“Not…” Mirli shook her head, “How could I not like you? You are very polite and sweet, and you saved Zan’s life. I will mention you every night in my prayers to the Granolith.”

The girl felt another blush creep into her cheeks. “That’s really not necessary,” she said hastily, and then changed the subject. “What about the clone, what happened to him?”

The queen nodded at her evasiveness as if she knew that Liz did not want to touch on the prospect of she and Zan’s connection. “The planet of Gandar is inhospitable for any life except it’s own sentient crystals. We very carefully mined some of these crystals and used them to fuse Zan’s essence and human DNA that we synthesized from a test subject.”

“Are you saying you abducted someone?” Liz gasped.

Mirli laughed. “You could look at it that way,” she conceded, “But Claudia was a willing volunteer. She seemed very interested in the process and how it would be completed.”

“My grandmother’s name is Claudia,” Liz stated.

“So you mentioned before,” the older woman replied complacently, “I hove no doubt that you were correct when you said everything would turn out all right. Claudia knew of us, and of what we desired. If she found Zan’s clone and deliberately brought you into the mix, I can only assume she has her own intentions. I can also assume that the clone is safe.”

Liz nodded in agreement. Grandma Claudia always had secrets, but she divulged them in ways that always ended well. Perhaps she had predicted or hoped for Liz to play a role in Zan’s return to Antar. Maybe all those stories were a way to ensure her granddaughter’s cooperation. Liz knew she’d never really be able to figure out the whys and hows, she just knew she’d have to place her trust in her grandmother as she had in the past.

“Will the Commander be able to find him within the time allotted?” Liz asked, “My grandma is at my house if he needs to ask.”

“Thank you,” Mirli replied, smiling, “That information will indeed be helpful. I will inform Rath when he escorts you back to your home.”

“Will that be soon?” Liz inquired, feeling sad that her time here would end.

The queen met her gaze, blue eyes serious and compassionate. “I think it would be better if it were sooner, don’t you?” she said softly, “It might lessen the hurt.”

Liz turned her head, her eyes searching the throng of people now dancing for Zan. He was dancing as well, Ava in his arms, looking handsome and noble…and happy. Her eyes fell to Ava’s face, staring up at Zan in adoration. “She’s in love with him, isn’t she?” It wasn’t really a question.

“Yes,” Mirli responded gently, “Before their age difference would have made it impossible, and Larak and I both agreed it was a little girl’s first crush, but as she grew…Her belief in his return was steadfast. She never gave up hope, not even when I began to doubt. She knew, I think from the beginning that she was destined for him.”

“But he doesn’t know.”

“No, but he might learn to love her in time, when he stops thinking of her as a little sister.” Her voice grew softer and she made Liz face her. “But not if he’s always hoping for something that can never be. Zan can’t live for a dream, Liz, he doesn’t have that luxury.”

Liz let her eyes drift back to Zan, bowing to Ava as the dance concluded. He looked up and met her eyes. He smiled and excused himself, walking toward the throne where she sat with his mother. Liz met Mirli’s blue eyes. “I understand.”
blake
Addicted Roswellian

Post by blake »

ACT II: Scene IV

Liz closed her eyes, savoring the feel of Zan’s hand clasping hers and the warmth of his palm on her waist as he twirled her through the Antarian waltz. She opened her eyes as he drew her closer, staring up into his bright amber eyes. She wanted to memorize this moment in time, to capture it so that she could examine each detail over time once she was gone. She wanted never to forget him.

Zan was smiling down at her softly, his eyes moving over her face as if he too knew they had precious little time left together. “Liz,” he murmured, “May I speak with you?”

Surprised, Liz nodded. “Of course.”

That soft smile widened into a lop-sided grin and he managed to twirl her through the other dancers an out into the relative peace of the entrance hall. Liz fanned herself with her hand as he checked to make sure no one was around. She watched him, wondering what type of conversation this would be if it required so much secrecy.

When he returned to her side, he seemed shy. “Zan?” she queried, “What is it?” She peered up at him earnestly, waiting for him to speak. When he finally did, it was not what she expected.

“Liz.” He took her hands in his own and gazed down at her, his eyes were serious. “We’ve only been acquainted for a few hours, and I know my words may come as a shock, but I feel as if I’ve known you forever.”

“I feel like that too, Zan,” she replied, slightly confused.

Part of his hesitant demeanor left him, and he smiled once more. “Then perhaps you feel also this connection between us.” Liz felt a blush on her cheeks as she nodded. “I have a great affection for you Liz of Earth, so great I fear to place a name upon it, but I must.” His eyes now were blazing with purpose. “Liz. Will you stay on Antar? Will you be my queen?”

For an instant time or Liz Parker stopped. All she could hear was the echo of Zan’s fervent words, and the look in his beautiful eyes. And then she heard Mirli’s saddened voice saying that her son could not live for a dream, and she saw Ava’s face as she dance with the man she was destined for.

Tears threatening her, Liz very gently extracted her hands from her Nutcracker prince’s grasp, and she stepped away from the King of Antar. She met his gaze resolutely; her chin tilted upward a bit in defiance of her tears. “I cannot say yes, Zan,” she whispered.

His face fell, and she couldn’t bear to look at him any longer. She averted her eyes from his and watched his throat bob as he swallowed heavily. “Why?” he demanded.

“I can’t live on your planet Zan, nor can you survive on mine.” She lifted her face to his again. “We aren’t meant to be.”

His face was a mask of confusion. “I don’t understand.”

She shook her head, thoughts reeling. “I don’t think it is for us to understand,” she said gently.

He was going to speak again, she saw his mouth move to form words, but the door to the crowded Couloir opened and Commander Rath stepped out. His cool eyes assessed his crestfallen King and the Earth girl with silent tears streaming down her cheeks. “The dimensional rip is being prepared,” he informed them, “Queen Mirli has asked that you make your good-byes Lady Liz.

Liz nodded, “Yes, of course.” Rath gave a clipped salute and bow to his ruler and then left the way he had come.

“You are leaving now?” Zan’s voice rose with disbelief.

“It is better now,” she replied cryptically, knowing in time he would grasp the importance of her departure from his world. “Will you walk me to this rip?” she inquired, hoping he would say yes. She didn’t actually know where the rip was, and she wanted just a few more minutes with the first boy she fell in love with.

He nodded, though he would not look at her, and extended his arm. Liz reached out to accept it, but found her hand trapped in his instead. Surprised but gratified, Liz allowed it to remain there, and walked by his side. Hand in hand they walked slowly to the space port.

The two were greeted there by the assembled visitors, each paying one last homage to Liz before departing from the room leaving only Zan, Mirli, Ava, and Rath to see her off. Liz stalled for a while, watching technicians run back and forth and fiddle with things. They were standing in front of a clear barrier, beyond which was nothing but white.

She finally turned back to the group. “I guess this is goodbye,” she said. Ava stepped forward first, embracing Liz as if they had been friends forever.

“Thank you,” the princess murmured in Liz’s ear, inaudible to the other. She stepped back, gave her pink curls a toss, and wished Liz a safe journey. Mirli reiterated the statement, also giving Liz a light hug and a kiss on the cheek. Finally, it was Zan’s turn, and the two women turned away from the young people.

Liz stared up at him wordlessly, and felt tears escape her control again. His own eyes were overly shiny as he stared back at her. Impulsively, Liz unclasped the chain from around her throat and leaned up, fumbling to fasten it around his neck. Wonderingly, Zan touched the pendant as she turned to go.

“Wait,” he cried. Liz spun, watching as he touched the pendant again, his hand glowing. He reached for her wrist and it glowed again. Liz stared at the charm now attached to her bracelet and then at the original necklace, noticing the missing piece. He held her wrist loosely. “You will always have a part of my soul,” he informed her solemnly.

Gasping his name, she allowed her tears to flow freely as she flung her arms around him. He held her tightly, as if he would never let her go, but they both knew he must. They let go little by little, eyes locked, and he leaned down just slightly. Liz closed her eyes as she felt his breath on her face. But again, they were interrupted before the kiss could be complete.

Rath, who had been consulting the technicians, banged on the transparent barrier, causing a door to open in it where that had been none before. “We’re ready,” he said gruffly, seemingly not upset that he had broken up a very tender moment.

Liz nodded and moved away from Zan, though their hands seemed to cling to one another. She followed the commander into the white room, unnerved by it’s seamless silence. Liz turned to watch Zan as her escort fiddled with the dimensional controller. “Got it,” he grunted as the orb lit up. A tear caused Liz to look up at the ceiling in alarm, blackness was above her and as she found herself rising, Rath’s arm wrapped around her, she saw earth suddenly come into focus. Dizzied by the blinding colors, she looked instinctively to Zan. His amber eyes were gazing into hers, and he gave her a heartbreaking smile, his lips seeming to form her name…

“Liz?” The voice was male, and warm. “Lizzie, honey bear, wake up.” Her eyes fluttered open and she stared into blue eyes.

“Daddy?” she asked, confused. She struggled to sit up and found her body sore. Looking around, she saw with incredulity that she was on the floor of the Crashdown Café. “What…” She trailed off, as she stared down at her nightgown. One she had not been wearing when she left Antar. “Where’s my Nutcracker?” she demanded, shifting frantically through the wrapping paper still surrounding the Christmas tree.

“Its right here, sweetie,” he father replied. Liz stared at the present he held up for her inspection. It was just a plain, ordinary nutcracker. Beside herself, mind racing, Liz took stock of the café. There was no evidence of the epic battle that had taken place there last night. No sign that she had ever left. Had it all been a dream? Her hand went immediately to her pendant, and found it missing.

She froze, half listening as her father wondered aloud what she was doing sleeping on the floor of his place of business, and felt hope blossom in her young heart. She extended her arm and smiled. For there on her wrist was a delicate silver chain, from which dangled a piece of a king’s soul.

Liz stood, smiling at her daddy and gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Good morning, Daddy,” she said cheerfully.

He gave her a scrutinizing glance, but finally smiled, ruffling her dark hair. “Hurry, Tess is waiting impatiently to open presents.”

Nodding, Liz made her way nimbly up the stairs to the Parker’s apartment, her father walking at a more sedate pace behind her. Opening the door, she entered the family room, where the real tree was set up. Liz sighed happily as she stared at the pretty scene. The rainbow lights gave a magical look to the decorate tree and cast spots of bright light on the presents below.

Her mother was sipping coffee beneath the mistletoe when her father caught her. Her sister was sitting on the floor, her first present in her lap, staring at Liz imperiously. “Hurry up, Lizzie,” she urged. Liz shook her head and stuck out her tongue at her college-aged sister and gave her mother a good morning kiss instead.

As she approached Grandma Claudia, her thoughts traveled again to Mirli and what the queen had said. Why had her grandmother done as she had done all these years? She felt sure it had been her grandmother, and her suspicions were confirmed when Claudia, eyes twinkling, murmured “welcome back” as Liz hugged her.

After opening their presents, the family dressed and trooped into the family car to head over to the DeLuca-Valenti home. When Amy and Jim got married, they soon learned that neither the DeLuca house nor the Valenti homestead could hold all five members of the new family, so they had bought a house on Murray Lane and now lived there in a state of disheveled comfort.

Maria welcomed them in enthusiastically, and Kyle politely took their coats at the door. Sean came tearing through the entryway with Michael hot on his tail, signifying that the Hardings were also present. Liz slowly removed her coat, staring out the door at the moving truck across the street. Fascinated and wondering who would be moving on Christmas, she studied the driver of the vehicle as he returned to the van.

In shock, Liz froze. The man had looked straight at her and winked. Belatedly, as the van moved down the street, she realized it had been Rath.

“Liz? What are you looking at?” Liz spun and Maria moved to shut the door.

“Nothing,” she replied.

Maria shrugged and tugged on her arm. “C’mon,” she pushed Liz toward the family room, “We’re starting carols.” Indeed, the sound of ‘O Come All Ye Faithful’ came from the well lit room, and Liz forgot about what she had seen and joined the other children around the piano Mrs. Valenti was playing.

About eight Christmas songs later, the girls were setting the table while the mothers put finishing touches on the dinner and the men attempted to start a fire in the fireplace. The doorbell rang and Amy called from the kitchen. “That’ll be our new neighbors. I invited them over to eat.” She opened the door from the kitchen and walked in with a turkey to set on the table. “The Evans have a boy just a bit older than you girls.” The doorbell rang again. “Maria,” Amy prompted, gliding back into her kitchen.

“I’ll get it,” Liz offered and immediately headed toward the front door. On her lips was the song Maria had been humming. “Hark the herald angels sing, glory to the new born king…” she trailed off as she opened the door. Smiling prettily, she welcomed the older couple in. “Coats go in the closet here,” she informed them, “And we’re just about ready to eat.”

Mrs. Evans smiled back, “Thank you dear.” She looked beyond Liz. “Be careful with that frittata Max.”

“Yes, Mom.” Liz was caught by the voice and spun, eyes wide, to stare at the boy entering. He was taller than her, just a couple years older, and his eyes were a warm amber. “Could you?” he asked, holding out the dish. Liz accepted it mutely, still staring. He leaned down as he took of his coat. “Just between you and me,” he whispered confidentially, eyes glowing, “I wouldn’t eat it if you don’t want to die an excruciatingly painful death.”

Surprised out of her realization that this was Zan’s clone, Liz giggled. “I’ll keep that in mind.” She gracefully nudged the door closed with her jean-clad hip as he hung up his own coat. Voices coming from the way of the dining room told Liz that the Evans’ were meeting everyone, which reminded her… “I’m Liz, by the way, Liz Parker.”

He gave her a half-smile and ran a hand through his raven hair. “Max,” he replied, straightening, “Max Evans.”

“That’s an interesting necklace,” Liz commented, her eyes drawn to his throat. Her own pendant hung there on a more manly-looking leather cord, the missing piece obvious.

For some reason Max blushed. Nervously he tugged on one slightly large ear and met her gaze. “I just got it today,” he told her. He reached out and reclaimed the dreaded frittata. “It’s supposed to help me find my soulmate,” he muttered under his breath, as if embarrassed to believe in such things as soulmates.

Liz smiled, “That’s sweet.” He stared at her, ears red, and Liz, now embarrassed a bit herself, lifted her hand to tuck a strand of hair back behind her ear. The bracelet chimed softly as it slid free of her red sweater and caught Max’s attention.

“Only one charm?” he asked, shifting the dish to one hand to reach out for her arm. Her hand was smaller than his, and the delicacy of the silver chain was apparent as he twisted it to get a better look. The charm was hooked on as if by magic, its shape so distinct that he couldn’t help but recognize it.

Liz held her breath as he sucked in his own, his head shooting up. Their eyes met and held. His searched hers for something, and somehow found it. He granted her another of his half-smiles, and their hands became entwined as naturally as breathing as she led him toward the dining room.

As Liz walked in with her prince, their eyes only for each other, Grandma Claudia’s brilliant blue eyes were twinkling.

The End