Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Epilogue - 01/01/11

Finished stories set in an alternate universe to that introduced in the show, or which alter events from the show significantly, but which include the Roswell characters. Aliens play a role in these fics. All complete stories on the main AU with Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

What should Maria choose?

1) To reform and rule the Azen.
36%
2) To become a Scion, knowing they will shortly fade away.
No votes
3) To become neither, knowing that both the Scions will fade away and the Azen will be forgotten.
No votes
4) To give up her powers entirely and simply go home to a quiet blessed life with Michael
64%

Total votes: 11

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 48 - 11/29/10

Post by PML »

This part is mildly horrific. Reader discretion is advised. (And its short, so you wont miss too much if you skip it.)

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

Across the Far Horizon part 49

Tess-

Tess stared at Nyssa as she examined Jimmy.

Nyssa stared at her with contempt, “How deep is your betrayal Tess? To betray your very own father. To use alien sorceries of some foreign witch to sully or slow his righteous use of magic.”

“She said he was draining his soul! My SON! His Grandson. How can he do that?”

“I do it because I can, Tess. Surely you have learned the truth about the world by now. The strong take what they will and the weak suffer what they must. And you my dear have always been weak.” Edward staggered out of a shadow.

“To do that to your own grandson? How could you?”

Edward looked down at Tess, he was obviously in great pain, but his look of contempt for her never wavered.

She had never been able to please him. No matter what she did. And there was a part of her that always hoped, always craved those few moments when he had not been angry at her.

“I need you to heal me Tess.”

For a brief moment she thought of rebelling. But now. He would only hurt her until she did what he wanted.

So she complied.

She healed the burns on his lips. The hand marks that were around his throat.

And his genitals. There was no way to mention how happy she was to see them dead. For without extensive healing they would surely need to be removed.

All of it.

Reluctantly she healed him. Repaired the damage. Cried as she felt new life stir in him.

He ruffled his hands through her hair. “You look so very much like you mother. Did you know that?”

Fear shot through her. This couldn’t be happening. Not again. He had told her never again!

“Attend me dear Tess. Prove to me that you have done your job well, and the boy may live.”

Tess felt as another part of her died.

But she did what she was told.

Some things would never change.

(54436)
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 50 - 11/29/10

Post by PML »

One last post for the night.

valentinebaby- Thanks. Yes. He is pure evil Michael almost gets there in time. Almost. Bad guys who can teleport are always frustrating to track down.

Disclaimer-Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

Across the Far Horizon part 50

Michael-

Michael halted Maria right before he got to Tess’s door. There were two foot soldiers he quietly eliminated at the door way. He could feel the increasingly squeamish sensations coming to him through the bond the rings gave them.

So he knocked them unconscious instead of killing them.

Maria quietly said, “Thank you.”

Michael grunted. He could feel a bit of what she felt. And every time someone died, she felt the soul’s confusion and dismay.

No wonder the Azen had needed the Scions. Anyone who could feel that and still coolly kill was probably severely unbalanced.

He placed an ear against the door. There was a male voice. “Nyssa, she has done an adequate job don’t you think?”

“Yes, sir. What do you want me to do with them?”

“Her eggs are still valuable, once we can find someone to breed her with. I have spoiled her, letting her concern over the boy overtake her need to attempt other children. You may take trophies, from both her and the boy.”

Michael backed away. “She’s not alone. Sounds like she’s in trouble.”

Maria frowned, “I don’t really care about her, but the boy. We need to protect him.”

“Right.” Michael tried the door. It was locked.

There was a cry of pain from the other side.

“Maria stand back, I will blast the door open.”

Maria frowned and pulled something from her pocket. She muttered something like a spell.

Another cry.

Michael could feel a slight tang of weak wizardry as she moved the pick in the lock.

An Azen picking locks. The world had truly changed.

Michael felt a need to move. That something horrible was happening in there.

Maria nodded.

Michael threw open the door and scanned the room. A tall dark haired woman stood next to a small bed. She reached down and pulled down the covers to expose the child, a bloody dagger in one hand.

Tess lay naked on the bed, turned away in a fetal position.

He turned back to the woman. “What the hell is going on here?”

“Who do you think you are, barging in on your betters.”

Maria spoke up, “Get away from that child!”

“And what might you be? Dressed up like a Azen Maiden, won’t Edward be happy to see you.”

Michael did a couple quick calculations.

One the woman in front of him was a Scion. And unfortunately a Crusader. Very dangerous. Michael didn’t know what tricks Maria might have, but most of them would be worthless.

Two, he had to act fast or the woman would grab either the child or Maria as a hostage and make his life much more difficult.

Three, the woman was standing next to a window leading to a forty foot drop.

Good enough for him.

Michael grabbed all his power and flung it at the woman and the wall behind her.

Oh, the look of surprise on the woman’s face!

“Maria look after Tess.” Michael said as he rushed over to the new enlarged window.

Forty feet was quite a drop. It would kill most humans he was fairly sure. That kind of fall could kill most Scions if you landed wrong. But there really was no guarantee.

Michael saw the bloody cloth with the ‘bits’ on it. He rapidly tossed it out the window before Maria could get a look at it.

That woman needed to die.

So he grabbed the dagger she had dropped and used his powers to propel it hard into her skull.

Dead.

“How is she?”

“Near catatonic. How is the boy?”

“I don’t think he is capable of waking.”

Maria looked at him worriedly, “It’s starting to fall apart isn’t it?”

Michael looked at her and smiled. She truly had brought hope and faith back into his life. “We are not finished yet. I remember you being a healer. Do what you can for her.”

“And then?”

“We pray.”

Maria smiled back at him. “That I can do.”

Michael hoped Alex was having better luck.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 50 - 11/29/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again. For those who haven't watched my word count, I have blown past the 50000 words needed. So I have technically won. Just slap a false ending on the story, and be done with it.

Perhaps I should. I have readers waiting for me to update too many other stories. But I won't. I plan to see this story through. To be honest, there's not that much more left to it. So a few more days, maybe by the end of the week this insanity will be over.

I will miss it.

mary mary- Thanks. Think of Tess as a continuously abused child desperate for some loving attention she rationally knows will likely never come, but still craves. The few times she ever rebelled or spoke against him were painful enough so that she no longer even tries.

valentinebaby- Thanks. He was pretty badly hurt. And he's running out of minions fast. The heroes have the raw power to beat him. They just need to corner him to do it.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Tess has taken her father's lessons to heart much to much.

begonia9508- Thanks. Liz tried. Edward teleported before she could rip them off. Tess once more aiding the enemy and reaping the rewards she always gets from it. Pain, humiliation, and suffering.

She really needs to brush off that resume.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringment is intended.

(
Across the Far Horizon part 51

Isabel

Isabel coughed and shuddered as the pain ran through her whole body. She looked at her the kerchief Alex had given her. No blood this time.

She was getting better faster than she ever had. Part of that was simply that she had something to live for. She had not realized just how important to Alex she really was until she had heard the stories of him. It made her both love him more and also very leery of him.

She needed to see what was inside. Was he truly who he presented himself as? Isabel knew from her distant memories that he had not always been on her side…..

Khivar sprung to mind. Even though she had ultimately decided to help him, their relationship had foundered on his constant allegations against the Azen.

In other lives she had fought against him. Killed him more that once if her memories were right. Tears in her eyes and blood on her mace.

Until Khivar, duty and honor had always been her watch words. More so than love.

Before her epic defense of the Southern Gate so many centuries ago, her epithet had been the glacier. Cold and implacable.

And now? The Betrayer of Hope? Because she had tried to stop the Azen from slowly killing off mankind? Because she had made the decision that the people she had sworn to protect took precedence over those who had sired her and whom she had served for so very long?

The massive gun fired again. And once more a part of the harbor fortifications exploded.

Isabel didn’t really understand the nature of modern siege warfare. She had always fought with catapult and ballistae. But these cannon seemed to have a much better range and accuracy.

And this gun of Alex’s seemed to out range all of their opponents. So his ship just sat here and fired.

There was a weak Navigator Scion somewhere in the port, but he wasn’t strong enough to resist her. And none of their ships were the odd steam powered ones that could sail against the wind.

The battle seemed very easy on her end. She hadn’t even had to call that much in the way of lightning.

She spoke to the city in which Alex even now fought. “Oh, Alex…. I will defend your ship. But it is so empty without you. Please remain safe.”

She coughed heavily again. Still no more blood.

Better. She was getting better.

She returned to her vigil.

And her once and future lover’s return.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 51 - 11/30/10

Post by PML »

Here we go. A part I have dreaded. But you folks should have seen this coming sooner or late.

mary mary- Thanks.

valentinebaby- Thanks. Yes. Khivar was Alex in another life in this story. Alex and Isabel have been star crossed lovers for a very long time. Hopefully this time they get it right.

keepsmiling7-Thanks.

Mt Gazer- Thanks.

Across the Far Horizon part 52

Alex

Alex hurried along the corridors. Following Liz had been about as easy as he had predicted. Unfortunately he had not thought of the enemy trying to reinforce the areas Liz was trying to get to.

He and Kyle didn’t run into any barricades, but they did run into a lot of scared and increasingly panicky pirates.

Alex wasn’t using the heavy pyrotechnics unless he needed it. At this point the pirates pretty much ran if they saw anything beyond they abilities.

Whatever Liz was doing it had completely demoralized them.

He heard a crack as Kyle shot yet another would be assassin. It was so good to have him at his back. Kyle might not realize how important he was to Alex.

Certainly Alex had heard a few grumbles from Kyle after Alex blew up a barricade or sent a couple balls of fire around a corner. But all it would take would be one gun man getting lucky. His cape covered most of his body, but not all of it.

One lucky shot and it would be over.

With Kyle watching his back, he knew that that gunman would have that much harder of a time at it.

One quick flight of stairs and out into an open courtyard…..

The booming sound of a nearby cannon.

A metal woman was flung back into the corridor just feet from where Alex and Kyle stood. She got up and investigated her hip, muttering to herself.

It was a perfect replica of Elizabeth Parker. In the nude.

Alex said quietly, “Liz?”

The metal woman looked up. “Good you caught up with me.” She looked again at her hip. “He dented me. I can’t believe he dented me! What is going to happen when the spell ends? Is my hip going to be broken or am I just going to have a little dimple right there on my hip?”

Kyle was looking her up and down, “Looking good, Parker.”

“Stuff it Valenti.”

Alex said tactfully, “You do realize you are wandering around your enemies headquarters completely naked. What would your parents say.”

Liz’s metallic eyes seemed to gleam gold for a moment, “Dad would snicker and mom would be proud of me.”

Alex ruffled his hair. “I always forget you were raised by different people. You just seem so much a part of my life.”

Liz smiled. “Thanks. Now we need to get Max. He’s right past those guards. I think its their last hold out. I know they are filtering some of their men down another pathway, but there’s not a lot I can do about that. But warding Max would take substantial effort.”

Alex nodded, “Static wards. Tied to something substantial. Like a room.”

“Exactly. They will probably try to move him last.” Liz looked away, “Or kill him. We need to hurry.”

Kyle ducked around the corner. “Probably about six guys. Plus a couple playing with that gun.”

Alex pulled out more of his explosive devices. He lifted up his hands and whispered a quick spell and they shot off around the corner.

The answering explosion was quite loud. Followed by a bigger boom that shook the whole building.

Kyle nodded, “A small magazine. We should hurry.”

Liz led the way followed by Alex. Kyle went last, his keen eyes searching for hidden dangers.

There were three men waiting for them in the adjoining building. Just standing there waiting.

Professor Milton looked like he wanted to melt into the ground. He wouldn’t meet any of their eyes. Nikolai just grinned at all of them.

Lastly there was Edward. The shadows clung strangely to him. And Alex could almost feel a kinship to him.

Edward was far on the road that Alex had nearly started on back on the Ship. When he had nearly joined the Dark Powers. For he could feel it radiate from Edward.

Edward looked at him and gave him a surprised smile. “So my dearest Alex, you begin to perceive the true power. Perhaps we can end this misunderstanding and deal with each other as equals.”

Alex shook his head. “No. That is not a path I wish to follow.”

“Sooner or later you will slip, my friend. It is inevitable. Why do you not simply join me. I know that you wish to see the Azen homeland. I too am headed there. Come with me and we can ensure our success.”

Nikolai said, “Boss, we don’t need him. He’s just a human.”

“My dearest Nikolai, there is nothing normal about Alexander or Elizabeth. What say you my dear? I must say you are looking ravishing today. Truly a woman worthy of your mother’s mantle. And as dangerous as your father.”

“Cut the crap Edward, you tried to rape me earlier. I know what you have done to you daughter in the past. I know who and what you are. Never in a million years would I willingly lie down with you. I thought I made that perfectly clear before?”

“A pity. Nikolai kill her. I will take care of dearest Alexander.” Edward waved his hand and a wall of darkness smashed into Alex, knocking him down.

Alex pointed his staff at Edward, a gust of wind tossing the man against the nearest wall and breaking his concentration. The blackness faded.

Alex threw everything he had at Edward. Streamers of fire. Walls of wind and shads of rock…. Blasts of frozen ice.

Nothing seemed to work against him. Edward kept attacking him from different angles. Some physical and others mental.

But he too held on. He held on until he heard and unearthly scream from Liz.

Nikolai had one of the special Scion swords, and had thrust it deep into her belly. Alex watched as the pirate tried to twist the blade, to cause even more pain. But the blade broke near the hilt.

And Liz screamed that horrible metallic scream, tiny rivulets of gold pouring onto the ground.

That is when Edward nearly got him. He could fell the evil sorcerer in his thoughts, changing who and what he as. It wouldn’t last forever. But Alex would be under his spell for a while. Long enough perhaps to be far down the road to darkness.

Alex tried to fight it, but the man was so strong. And Alex was worried too much for his dying sister.

That is when Kyle shot Edward. It wasn’t a fatal blow. Edward must have had some set of wards protecting him, like Alex’s cape protected him.

But he was hurt. Hurt enough for Alex to break free.

Nikolai himself was on his knees scrubbing at his right eye.

Kyle pulled out his pistols and began shooting at both of them point blank.

He hit Nikolai again, but it would not be enough. Edward rushed over to him and both of them disappeared into the shadows.

And they were gone.

Alex rushed over to Liz’s body. He could not be sure how badly she was hurt. But if her metallic body was anything like a human one, she was mortally wounded.

It was not a fast wound. Unless she bled out she would last at least a short time. In extreme agony.

He went to touch her and his hand was scalded. Her skin was much too hot to touch.

Tess. Tess was a healer of immense power. And now their only hope.

Alex turned to Kyle, “Kyle, Max is a few rooms up. Free him and try to do what you can for Liz. I need to find Tess.”

Kyle’s eyes were haunted, “Yes, it always comes back to her doesn’t it.” He shook his head, “Be careful out there, I will protect your sister. From further injury anyway.”

Alex nodded and ran.

Please let Michael and Maria have reached Tess. Please let them have moved her and the boy.

Or Edward could very well have them all.

And Liz would die.

Alex ran.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 52 - 12/01/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again.

valentinebaby- Thanks. Liz's problems are far beyond Maria's skills. So you better hope they can rally Tess in time. Assuming that Tess can help her.

keepsmiling- Thanks. Well you know what they say, its always darkest before it goes pitch black.... (Seriously things will be tense the next few parts, but I think you will like where it ends up at.)

begonia9508- Thanks. Funny how both sides look to Tess to heal them. To bad she's working both sides.

mary mary- Thanks. Yep that is their next step. Eliminate those two and stop them. I am afraid you are right that there are people as evil as they are alive and in power. Luckily they don't have super powerful magic like both Nikolai and Edward. I hope.

Across the Far Horizon part 53

Kyle-

It had taken precious minutes to free Max. Max had himself been almost in a frenzy to see her, willing to do almost anything to escape and be at her side.

Kyle just hoped that Alex was able to find the others. And that Tess was able and willing to save Liz.

To imagine a world without the quirky brunette….. It just wasn’t possible. Easier to imagine the sun going out.

They came upon her, her breath still rasping metallically. But she was no longer wailing or twitching. Her body movements finally starting to cease.

Shock. She was going into a form of shock.

Her eyes opened and she took in both himself and Max. She smiled sadly at him and then focused her smile on Max. So much love in her eyes for the man. Her voice sounded like a broken bell, “I am sorry we wasted so much time. I had thought…. I had thought we would have had at least this week.”

“Liz, please don’t say such things.”

Liz coughed, metallic plates slamming against one another. Again the smell of a blacksmith touched now with a hint of sulfur “We both know I am dying, that my vision was true.”

Kyle looked away, desperately hope for assistance. For Maria or Tess or anyone to come running down that corridor to save his friend. He had seen to many miracles in the last few days to truly give up hope.

But it was dwindling with each moment.

Max knelt, close to the sweltering heat still rolling off of his lover, “Please, Liz…. Don’t leave me.”

Liz raised a hand, “You must help my brother. It will be a difficult time for him.” Another rumbling cough. “I have held a secret for much too long. One that I was not totally certain of, but since seeing the boy, I now am.”

“What are you talking about Liz?”

“The child. Tess’s child. It is not yours, Max. It is Alex’s. Scions need a human mate to have children.”

Kyle heard the sound of running feet. He readied his rifle, but prayed that he would not need to use it.

It was Maria bare feet slapping against the pavement. Leading the others he hoped.

“Liz, I don’t understand.”

“I love you Max. I never stopped loving you.” The rasping sound stopped.

“Liz, you can’t die on me. You just can’t. Hold on, just hold on! TESS! GET OVER HERE NOW!”

Maria rushed up, ‘NO! You can’t die!” She looked between Max, Michael and Tess, “You are all Scions, save her!”

Michael set Tess down next to Liz. And walked over to hold the crying Maria, “You are Azen. Pray for her. Pray for a miracle. That woman was special, and we needed her alive.” He held Maria tightly as she began to sobbingly pray.

Kyle was not a wizard. And his skills as a mage were to be quite frankly, pathetic. But he could sense power.

It rippled all around him.

Tess cried out, “NO! Not her. She has done nothing to deserve that. I will not accept that injustice.” She placed her hands on Liz’s still scalding abdomen and power flowed from her like a fountain. “I will not allow Hell to have her!”

The scent of burning flesh filled his nostrils. But Tess did not move, her eyes closed as she did whatever wonder it was that she did.

And next to him, he could feel things change inside of Max. Kyle watched as Max squatted down and stared at Liz. “Open your eyes, honey. I remember now. I need you to open your eyes.”

So much power. All reaching out to save someone already dead. Reaching out for a miracle.

Kyle found himself whispering a prayer from the catechism of the church his parents had taken him to. A prayer he had not said in years.

He looked over at Alex. An Alex with a look of utter confusion. For in his arms he held a boy. A boy that looked just like him.

Liz’s secret. Tess’s child was neither his nor Max’s. But rather Alex’s. Why and how they would have to find out later. But for now….

For now he could only pray. Pray that one more miracle would bless them.

But outside of a few whispered words, he knew that miracle would not come from him. That was not his gift.

He kept his eyes open and guarded them. Watched with open eyes and open mind to protect those whose power and might could shift the tide.

It was all he could do.

And he was very good at it.

So Kyle watched.

And prayed.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 53 - 12/02/10

Post by PML »

One more tiny piece.

Valentinebaby- Thanks. Liz's vision was correct. But is it truly the end?

Begonia9508- Thanks. Basically it was Edwards hope that the babe's was Max's. And Tess lied to him and said it was. She hoped it was Kyle's, as unlikely as it would be. But she slept with a controlled Alex so as to get Edward off her back regarding the fact that no child had come from her or Max yet.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. I hope all those prayers are indeed answered.

Across the Far Horizon part 54

Liz

Liz felt as she died. Felt as her soul began to pull away from the flesh that had once housed it.

She took one last look at friends new and old.

She laced her hand through Max. It was too bad they had had so little time this life. She would have liked to have borne his child again. To feel the mix of both of their essences come to life inside of her. To feel their souls bind ever tighter through the ages.

Well it had not been the first time they had known early tragedy. Nor likely the last. She would go and wait for him. Watch over and bless him for the length of his life. She wished him a full and happy one.

But in time, he too would die. And she would be waiting. They would spend time again together on the borders of Heaven. Until one or the other felt compelled to return to life once more.

And it would begin anew.

There was a slight tug on her soul. Different from anything she had felt before.

A device. A device of wizardry and dark magic was pulling her in. Consuming her soul entire.

She found herself inside a sphere. Inside there drifted a black mist that seemed to cling to her, that burnt and froze her soul simultaneously.

She could see a crack, a tiny flaw in her prison. It was from there the mist came. And the sounds. The unearthly hungry sounds.

Hell. Those sounds, the mist. It came from Hell itself.

What had she done to deserve this? She had always tried to do the right thing. She had always sought to help others.

She heard the sounds come closer. They could sense her. She knew it. They could feel her in this prison.

And they wanted her. They wanted to consume all she was so very badly.

Liz had never felt so terrified before. Had never truly felt in so much danger. She was doomed and damned through no action of her own.

She cried to the Heavens for mercy.

But hooked tentacles pierced through the flaw in the orb.

And Liz was dragged to Hell.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 54 - 12/02/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone. Somehow I think you will all enjoy this part a little more than the previous other two. I could be wrong. But I doubt it.

mary mary- Thanks. I am afraid it would take more than a single act of contrition for Edward after confession. Fortunately he's immortal, so he'd have time to say all the required prayers and acts.

valentinebaby- Thanks. Surely you knew that chip would come back to haunt them?

moomin- Thanks. Working on it.

Across the Far Horizon part 55

Max

Max felt as Liz died. He watched her eyes slowly slide down and he knew that he had lost her.

This was not a situation he was prepared to accept. Because he knew now why he had always been drawn to her.

It was more than the bright intelligence that lurked behind her eyes, the good humor that pulled him out of his brooding, or even the beautiful body she had. No it was more than that.

She was his soul mate. Literally.

Usually people simply said that when they were very close to someone. Or someone shared so many of their views it was like they had come from the same place.

Max meant it literally. For the stress and strain of his need to save his wife broke through the last of the barriers. And he Awakened. Memories of life after life streamed into him. And a constant, almost always at his side was the woman whose soul had filled Liz.

Again and again they would wait for each other, doing all they could to be with each other. They were not always successful. And sometimes they would meet later in life, relationships with others already formed. But even then they always were fast friends and good counselors to the other.

Neither of them ever shone as brightly as they did with the other.

And it had happened with such regularity that the Azen even accorded her with a title all her own. Not something the Azen usually did with a regular human.

The Princess.

For Max had been known as the Prince, first amongst all other Scions. A Navigator without peer, he shared too a mix of the talents the other Scions possessed. Foremost was the gift of Healing.

He lacked the greater refinements of a Shaper, but he could pull people from the brink of death. Even those a Shaper might leave, uncertain that their gift could save them.

All he needed was a connection. He could not work another’s body like clay. He needed to connect with the soul and through that connection he would heal them.

“Please, honey, please. Just open your eyes.”

Max was never certain that he truly saw what he saw then. But it seemed a misty form hovered over his love. In the forms nebulous arms was the shape and form of Liz Parker, battered and bruised and frightened. It set the soul back into the dead body.

It looked at him, purple eyes so deep and wise. And somehow pleased.

All Max could do is feel awe as he watched it.

It opened Liz’s eyes. And was gone.

Max took the opportunity. He rushed into her, eager to heal her wounds. A veritable storm of power followed him, rushing in behind him.

And he healed her.

But what were wounds to the flesh compared with wounds to the mind or soul? He embraced his lovers soul. And she embraced him, both forming links that would last throughout this life.

And beyond.

Both of them rejoiced. For Liz was battered and frightened. But she had been saved. Protected.

By Tess.

It didn’t matter. Not really. For Liz was safe.

That was all that mattered. That his love was safe.

He would thank Tess later.

For now he simply clung to Liz. Body to body. Mind to mind. And soul to soul.

They were one.

Forever.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 55 - 12/03/10

Post by PML »

And here we go.

begonia9508- Thanks. Let Liz die? Not today. You will notice that what she saw DID come to happen though. As for Max and Liz, where there is life there is hope.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Tess has her part to play before this is all over. This was part of it.

valentinebaby- Thanks.

mary mary- Thanks. No, we still have the concluding chapters left. And don't worry, I will deal with Edward before this is out. I wonder if any of you will see it coming.

Mt. Gazer- Thanks. I think they have some friends in high places.

Across the Far Horizon part 56

Michael

Michael shook as Maria pulled him close. Had he truly felt that?

This was not a dream. This was real life and he had seen, physically seen the actions of an angel. He had felt their presence before. How could you serve the Azen and not?

They had haunted and guarded his dreams during constant the constant campaigns against the Abraxis and other unholy enemies. He had felt their support on countless battlefields. Had heard their ministering to the humans on every side of each conflict.

There had even been a few times when it was only by their mercy he had been allowed to die. Michael shuddered at the distant memory of his soul bound to an Abraxin war machine…..

But this. This he had never heard of.

For he had seen the angel lift the soul of Liz Parker and place it back inside her body. And had watched as Max healed her. Had seen it, no him, smile as Max collapse and Liz began to breathe once more.

Had he truly smiled at Michael as he held Maria so close? He looked down at Maria.

She smiled up at him. “I saw him too. A miracle.”

Michael grunted assent. Miracles always made him uneasy. Because it usually meant that either things were about to get really nasty, or they already had and you simply hadn’t realized it yet.

There was a rifle crack behind him.

Michael turned and watched as Kyle reloaded his rifle expertly.

Kyle said, “Hate to point this out, be we are in a bit of a bind.”

Alex’s voice was tight, “Kyle, Liz is alive. She should be…. Kyle, this doesn’t happen everyday!”

Kyle shook his head, “I am thankful. She’s always been one of my best friends, even when we weren’t…. Anyway, all I am saying is that we have what we came for. Now we need to figure out how to leave.”

Maria’s voice was mildly reproving, “Kyle, surely you can see how wondrous this is. I mean, did you see what just happened? Really see?”

Kyle swallowed heavily, “Yeah. And my mind is trying to wrap itself around what I think I saw.” He focused his gaze on first Alex, then Michael, and lastly Maria. “But I think you are letting it cloud your thinking. I don’t know, maybe this whole thing has been one long string of wonders for me. To the point that I am getting jaded about it. I am just a normal guy, Maria. I am not like the rest of you. I am not a wizard or a Scion, or even an Azen, for heaven’s sakes. I don’t even qualify for the lowest level of mage adept! I have fathered a tree, knocked up my ex’s half-human mother.”

Kyle blinked a moment and then continued, “And Edward’s Azen so, that would make Tess only a quarter human? My life is a mess, but despite the horrors and wonders we have to carry on or what was the whole point? So what do we do next? That is all that I am asking. Because I personally am running low on ammo.”

Alex nodded, “My magical reserves are far from depleted, but I am running out of components for my best spells.”

Maria left his arms to look at Liz and Max. “Both of them are deep asleep. Liz has been badly traumatized by the event. And Max has spent everything to heal her. I don’t think I could wake them even if we had to. And it would be bad for both of them if I did. They need this rest.”

Alex asked, “And Tess?”

Maria frowned and place a hand on Tess’s arm. She backed away, “She’s in a coma of some sort. And Alex, she’s empty. The body is alive, but the soul and most of the mind is simply gone. There is a good chance she will never wake from this. A very good chance.” She looked up at Alex, “The child?”

Alex said quietly, “Still sleeping.” He gently ruffled the dark hair on his head, “I hope Tess wakes soon. Because I don’t understand. How this is possible.”

Maria sighed, “We can talk about it when we get back to the boat. But how? One sleeping boy and three adults? I suppose I can carry the boy and the rest of you….”

Michael shook his head, “They are still shooting at us. At some point we would get bogged down and surrounded. Is there anyway you can contact your ship?”

Alex nodded, “Yeah, but they don’t have enough power to get us out of here.”

Kyle sighed, “So we are stuck. At least until they wake up.”

Michael moved over to where Max lay, “We should find a defensive position soon.”

Alex laughed suddenly, “Kyle, my friend. The you saw a bit of the harbor out there. The Admiralty could use such a good harbor on this world. We’ve smashed the pirates, I am sure the locals would like better neighbors.”

Michael’s voice was dry, “I doubt they will be too happy to see a flotilla from the Verge showing up. The local economy depends on smuggling. But having Nikolai gone would help.”

Alex smiled brightly, “Exactly.” He walked over and carefully wrapped Liz in his cape. He did not move her from Max’s side.

Michael watched as Kyle and Maria exchanged looks.

Kyle said dryly, “So how crazy is this plan and how likely to get us all killed?”

“No more than usual. But then what are our alternatives? I really wish we were in a better site, but then I always seem to be on the run when I do this. Well the Council and Admiralty will have to deal with it.” Alex looked over at Michael. “Michael, you spent time with Liz. Go back to the room she was in and grab her bag of tools. Take Maria with you, that way if the worst happens they don’t get all of us.”

Maria’s voice was grim, “We are not leaving you behind.”

“I would hope not. But its better to plan for the unlikely rather than let it overwhelm you by surprise. Just get that pack back and get back here.” He fished out his pocket watch and began fiddling with it. “By the time you come back I should be ready.”

“Ready for what?”

Alex smiled even broader if that were possible, “To put my cunning plan into action. Now go. And Maria, make absolutely certain you have at least three sticks of Wizard’s chalk. If I know my sister, she’ll have a ton. Now go.”

Maria was nodding, “Wizard’s chalk, check. Come on Michael. Let’s go.”

Michael kept his eyes open looking for any threats. “Do you have any clue what he is up to?” Memories of that night watching Liz build her spells came into his mind.

“Not a clue, but knowing Alex it will be dramatic.”

Michael just nodded.

The both cautiously moved towards the room where Liz had been kept.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 5 - 12/04/10

Post by PML »

Here we find out what Alex's cunning plan consisted of.

valentinebaby- Thanks. Poor Kyle. As for Tess.... Well if she wakes up she will need to make a decision which side she is actually on.

mary mary- Thanks. I will be honest and say Tess's ultimate fate has been one of the things that has oscilated the most over the coarse of this story. I would like to think she would choose to be good, considering hwo poorly team evil treats her. But if she chooses as she has chosen in the past....

begonia9508- Thanks. Tess never waking would make things a little simpler for out heroes. But if you knew what her 'coma' consisted of would you still think it best she remain there?

Across the Far Horizon part 57

Isabel

Isabel coughed a few times as she stared at the harbor. The enemy hadn’t tried any breakouts for a little while now. And Isabel had been told to only defend the harbor not to attack it.

The gun was now silent too. Both of the bun towers that had been placed to defend the port had been destroyed.

There really wasn’t much to do but wait.

Serena came out to fetch her, “Girl, I think you can stand down now. I don’t think they will try anything crazy. And Yelena has been asking after you.”

“What does that… woman want?” Truth to tell, Yelena intimidated her. Moreover she intimidated Vilandra. Very little worried that presence in the back of her mind.

Serena looked at her, “She wishes to heal you. Body and soul, I think. A rare thing, and costly. But she serves Alex, and has as long as I have known him. She will heal you in any case, but likely she will off you a deal. Think carefully before you take it.”

Isabel’s eyes tightened, “She is like an Elf from a fable? She deceives?”

Serena shook her head, “No. And Yes, I think. Her deals give more than they take, more often than not. But they will change your life. It is why I am here, for instance.” She chuckled, “Trolls are not known for sea faring you see. But knowing Alex has helped not just me and my people, it is changing us. Slowly drawing us into normal human society.”

One of the Dryads that spent most of her times navigating ran up to Serena, “Captain, the Seventh Floor has been unlocked and Alex is demanding assistance.”

Serena’s voice was grim, “You are sure, Cirelle. That it was Alex and not just a seeming of him?”

“I am pretty sure, Captain. He certainly seemed like our Alex. And Kyle was with him. Maybe there is a way to confuse me with Alex, but I have tasted Kyle.” Her voice was fond, “I have tasted him and I can scent his essence. It is Kyle for certain.”

“Round up the girls and head down there. If Alex says he needs help its serious.” Serena looked up at her, “If you will come with me?”

Isabel nodded. She followed Serena to a stair case near the bridge. The first lead to the crew quarters. The second to the Engine rooms and storage. But the stairwell kept going.

Which had to be impossible. The Far Horizon was a decent sized ship, but not that large. When they walked past the third level door, she noticed it was wide open. And looking out she saw with wonder a large green valley…..

Serena looked up, “Come on, we need to hurry. Alex might need us.”

Past a fourth Door where Serena paused before continuing. Past a tightly locked fifth and sixth doors. To the Seventh. Which opened to a large courtyard.

Isabel’s eyes traversed immediately to a tired Alex. She was halfway to him before she realized she was crying as she ran. It tickled her throat, almost making her cough. But this was too important.

She wrapped her arms around him and held him so tight. And kissed him.

His breath and body were far from the freshest. Covered in grime and blood and gunpowder. She didn’t care.

Alex was hers and she wasn’t going to lose him again.

Alex quickly got with the program and they stood there kissing each other amidst the danger.

Isabel could distantly hear Maria’s sardonic voice, “Take notes Michael, that is a kiss.”

A man’s voice replied, “It’s not bad, I will agree. But I promise to show you much more… Once we’re out of danger, of course.”

“You realize I am going to expect you to fulfill that promise…..”

Kyle cut in, “Uh, guys. We could be overrun at any moment here. Michael lift up Max, I will get Liz. Maria take care of Jimmy. Oh, hey Serena. We could use a hand here.”

Alex reluctantly pulled away. “We will finish this later.”

Isabel could only nod. Was his heart beating as hard as her own? Did he feel this as strongly.

One look at his eyes told her the truth. Yes. Yes he did.

The next few minutes were a bit confusing as they all moved out. Alex then locked the door behind him.

They were carrying the wounded up the stairs when a veritable wall of Dryads came to help them. And lead them to the valley where Isabel had briefly paused.

Yelena was there and she was staring at each of the bodies. She would then whisper something to the Dryads that surrounded her. They ran off to make whatever preparations she deemed necessary. She looked up at Alex. “Alex. I would take my Granddaughter and her child. He is your seed as well. And so I must ask you, will you let me heal him?”

Alex nodded slowly. “It is true then?”

“Yes, Alex. Born of deception perhaps, but your blood never the less. And mine. Our bond grows deeper.” Her face light with a seraphic smile before turning grim, “His soul was stripped to obtain its purity. It will take many years before he recovers. I will shield him until he does.”

“And Tess?”

“My wayward granddaughter? Her soul has left her body. I can feed it and keep it alive on the off chance she returns.” She sighed, “I will understand if she must be punished by mortal authorities for her crimes, but I love her still. Please, allow me this.”

Alex nodded. “You don’t need Max or Liz? Liz was kind of banged up back there?”

“They need rest and must not be separated. I will have my daughters provide a room above for them. You will not disturb them until they leave that room.”

Alex pursed his lips, “Okay.”

Yelena cracked her head to the side, “Consider it my price to heal Isabel and we will be done with it.”

“Why?”

“I owe Liz Parker much. I find myself more in debt to her each day.” Yelena turned away from Alex, “Isabel, I would have you attend me momentarily. We have much to speak of.”

Isabel looked over at Alex, “What was that about? Serena said something about her healing me, and…”

Alex gripped her arms, “What happened to you back on your island… It left you wounded Isabel. Badly cut up inside. You Scions seem to heal physically fast, but psychologically? I don’t know. I have a feeling you are just as fraught with this as a normal person. The physical damage fades, but the memories linger.”

Isabel nodded and found herself crying. The memories did linger. Life after life they still continued to plague her. The good and the bad alike.

But they were old, her son. The death of her unborn son was still clawing at her. “It hurts Alex, but I don’t want her to take that memory away from me. It is a part of who I am.”

Alex nodded, “And she won’t. But these wounds…. They will leave scars. And those you will carry for the rest of your life, Isabel. But they will be scars and not open wounds. She can give you that.”

Isabel blinked back tears. And turned away to follow Yelena.

Alex called out from behind her, “Isabel?”

Isabel looked over her shoulder at him. He looked so normal without that ridiculous cape. Maybe a little overdressed, but not by too much.

He smiled at her and said simply, “I love you Isabel. I just thought you should know. My sister was right. Again.” Alex shook his head happily,

Isabel felt the tears flowing freely now. She stopped. And then looked ahead of her to where Yelena was waiting. She should say it. She needed to say it.

Why was this so hard?

She was half way to Yelena when she turned back to tell Alex she loved him.

But he was gone.

Another missed opportunity. She slumped to the ground.

Yelena was at her shoulder, “He knows, Isabel. He knows and he understands. Unlike you he was warned of your coming into his life. He was ready for it, for this sudden whirlwind. You were not and are still unbalanced. I am healing him as much for him as for you.”

“What do you need me to do?”

Yelena smiled brightly, her purple eyes full of mischief and humor. “You need a bath my dear. Something cleansing. I have a series of pools that will sooth you and clean you of darkness that has tired to cling to you. My daughters will bring you some refreshment while you bathe. I will be busy for a time, so take all the time you need.”

“And then?”

“I give you an opportunity, a Choice to be made. Either way I will heal you.”

“Serena said you would make some kind of deal with me. That you always do. Please, don’t be coy with me. I, I can’t handle it at the moment.”

Yelena nodded to herself, “It will not harm you to know now, I suppose. What I offer is to bring a semblance of life to your child.”

“He is dead. You can bring the dead to life?” She looked up at Yelena in alarm.

“No. The child was never born. But his spirit clings to you, the last safe thing he ever knew. As long as he remains there you will never truly heal. The easiest thing would be to abjure the child. Send it to heaven or rebirth. But I can fashion a body if you are willing to provide him with life.”

“Your mother’s milk can provide him with substance that I can not. Only mortals can bring forth life.”

Isabel looked down at her swollen breasts. “I, I….”

“Do not make the choice now. Think upon it as you cleanse yourself. I will return later for your decision.”

And Yelena left.

Isabel stared after her. And looked at the pools.

It would be so nice to feel clean again.

And so she bathed.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 57- 12/05/10

Post by PML »

Back to my neverending story. Sigh. I know where I am going, just getting from point a to point b is taking me longer than I thought it would. Sorry guys.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. But I don't leave you guys hanging for long do I? Ah yes, the deal. Either way it will shape and haunt Isabel for the rest of her life.

begonia9508- Thanks. But even I have to have a tiny bit or reality peek in from time to time.

mary mary- Thanks. You make a very good point. Would you believe me if I told you it was all up in the air, awaiting on my muse? So we shall both see in a day or so what I come up with.

Across the Far Horizon part 58

Tess

Tess felt good about herself for the first time in ages. For all her power in the real world, Liz was nearly defenseless here. Perhaps with the right spells and a firm link to the real world, Liz could have given a solid account of herself.

But here and now, her soul totally unclad and unprepared….

They tore at her. Tried to tear away her thoughts and memories and emotions. All that it meant to be real. All memory and thought of the real world was precious here. A remnant of what they had once possessed and now were forever bereft.

Tess on the other hand had aided various Azen attempts to recover souls that the Abraxans had ripped from their bodies. For when the devices those souls powered were destroyed, the souls invariably sunk straight to Hell.

Tactics and techniques for redeeming what they could still remained in her memories. It was more a skill and talent for those who were Azen. For the Azen could partner closely with the Angels to recover those they could salvage.

But the Azen had one tragic flaw in these campaigns. While they could fight, they were not really good at it. Their changed children, those half-bloods who swore an oath to serve mankind and heaven itself, acted as a bridge between the two. The Scions had the Fallen’s gift of violence meshed with the grace of the Azen. It was no surprise that just as they made better warriors in the real world, so to did those few able to fight beyond the world, would surpass the doughtiest Azen warrior.

And while Tess did not shine in the combats of the real world, here in this place outside of time and space and reality, she truly shone. A Child of the Light, she flew to the aid of her friend. A person who she had betrayed, but who remained in Tess’s heart as her only true friend.

At her coming the forces of darkness recoiled. They tried to fight Tess, but to no avail. Tess would not back down. Liz did not deserve to be here.

Tess whispered a half remembered prayer of recall, one that would ask an Angel to recover her friend.

Tess felt a sense of exhilaration as she felt its presence come and lift Liz to safety. And she fought on. Determined to hold on.

On her lips was the prayer of recall. But would they come for her? Liz did not deserve to be here.

Tess wasn’t sure she didn’t. She wasn’t sure she would be recovered. Would be saved.

If she spoke those words and they did not come…. She would know, truly know that she was damned. And deserved to be.

She fought on, oh how she fought on. But the tiniest doubt had begun to worm its way into her heart. And the weapons she fought with here were build and made of her self confidence and will.

Still she could not bring herself to say the words. She could not bear to know that she was damned.

And her will failed. Her weapons vanished, her defenses crumbled and they took her.

Every sensation, every thought, every emotion they ripped from her. Tore at her substance, the accumulation of life after life.

Too late she tried to cry out to be saved. Too late.

For her it was always too late.

They tore and ripped it all away, until all that was left to her was the eternal substance from which she had been fashioned. But the fighting did not end there. It did not end with the new empty soul sobbing its lost essence. With it calling out to the memories of memories….

No the damned fought over every scrap, tearing and damaging the fragile framework it had been built with. The subtle epiphanies and thoughts that had once been one of the worlds best healers.

They ripped and tore at them, damaging them each time they changed hands. Until they were gone. Forever dust and gone. Thousands of years of thoughts and memories and dreams. All gone.

The damned loped across the empty wilderness looking for new prey.

Behind them lay the newest potential member of their pack. As it sobbed and tried to remember. Tried to remember what life had been like. What reality had been like.

Once it had been there. So real. So much a part of it.

And now it was gone.

All gone.

It could feel a hunger grow inside of it. A need to find something to remember, to find something it could feel. Some touch of something that had been real. If only for a moment.

Some semblance that it had once been real itself. That reality itself existed.

It had been so beautiful.

So very beautiful.

And it cried its loss.

It could feel as the hunger began to consume the little of it that remained. That endless hunger that would see it following the roving pack of damned across the wastes of Hell.

And in that moment it cried for mercy. To whom or to what it knew not. Only that for the reality that had been to be so beautiful, surely Something had to be out there.

It stared at the heaven’s as the last remnants of remnants of its humanity began to fade and the hunger stole over it.

Not long now.

Either way.

Not long now.