Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Epilogue - 01/01/11

Finished stories set in an alternate universe to that introduced in the show, or which alter events from the show significantly, but which include the Roswell characters. Aliens play a role in these fics. All complete stories on the main AU with Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

What should Maria choose?

1) To reform and rule the Azen.
36%
2) To become a Scion, knowing they will shortly fade away.
No votes
3) To become neither, knowing that both the Scions will fade away and the Azen will be forgotten.
No votes
4) To give up her powers entirely and simply go home to a quiet blessed life with Michael
64%

Total votes: 11

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 38 - 11/24/10

Post by PML »

And I hope anyone who celebrated Thanksgiving had a wonderful time. And that all of you have a wonderful weekend. I know that I will be back to post madness. I have to, this ends on the 30th. So very close.

keepsmiling7- Thanks.

mary mary- Thanks. Well getting Alex mad at you is really a bad career move. (Liz might be worse as you will see in the next few parts.)

valentinebaby- Thanks. Alex does NOT know. Assuming that there is anything for him to know. And of course, you will note that Liz did not seem to be surprised at what the child looked like....

begonia9508- Thanks. Essentially, yes.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

Across the Far Horizon part 39

Alex

Alex stalked back onto the ship. In his hands were a series of notes and maps.

Tess had given him as much or more than he needed to make his case with the Admiralty regarding the Pirates of Bright Cove. She’d even gone on to list the possible advantages of using it as a Forward Base of operation in the area.

In specifics and deep detail she covered the local personalities, their affiliations, and political leanings.

If Tess was right, Nikolai had essentially driven out most of the other pirate bands to other towns. And had poisoned the locals against the whole notion of a free city. Most of the locals were looking for a patron to protect them. According to Tess, the Verge would be just fine with them.

Good news.

Except Nikolai was stronger than anyone had given him credit for. His fleet was larger than any of the estimates he’d been given. There had been rumors that Nikolai had been growing very quickly, but they had been mostly tabled.

You could only build and acquire useful ships so fast, and there were only so many men to crew them. Only the Admiralty did know Nikolai had some combat mages. They didn’t know he had more that eight Scions, or that he himself was one.

Or that Tess was working for him. Tess had pulled no punches on her own crimes. She described in detail what she had done under orders of Nikolai and a name that filled Alex with dread.

Edward. Edward Harding was alive and well and living in Bright Cove.

It had been at Edward’s orders that Tess had turned Alex’s brain near to jelly to get access to what the Council thought might be a key of some sort. Or maybe a battery. Something. Something powerful and old.

Something that used old ancient Azen magic and was no longer understood at all by its caretakers. They only knew it had be protected. That order and the need to protect several other ancient Azen objects actually pre-existed the Council itself.

Edward had once had a place on the Council himself. Had even worked his way to a fairly senior position. But the wards protecting the devices protected them from the wizards themselves. The orders were simply to provide additional protection.

One would have to go on a suicide mission if you were willing to get one of them. Because even if you escaped, the last series of curses would surely kill you.

Alex shivered again. It had been so close.

He heard Kyle sardonically showing Isabel and Maria around the ship. He normally would, but time was wasting. They needed to hurry.

Because near as he could figure, Liz was in Bright Cove. And Edward had always been much too interested in his sister.

He rushed into the wheel house, “Serena, we need to get under way as soon as we are able. Make way for Bright Cove. Full military power. Notify your husband. I may need his men after all.”

Serena’s eyes widened. But she took one look at his face and began barking orders.

Alex closed his eyes and felt as the Spin Generators came online. Hopefully they worked as advertised. They had been used on and off on this cruise and the previous one. But never under such a sustained pace.

Hopefully they could withstand the strain. And more, that the manetic energy would indeed be bled into the ocean as they traveled. It had worked on the small scale, now it was time for an emergency test.

He’d be more excited if his sister’s life wasn’t on the line.

Alex looked back onto the deck as Kyle was continuing his grand tour. Alex watched as all the Dryads and Sylphs joined in and crowded around Isabel and Maria. They didn’t say anything or try to play any pranks. They just seemed content and happy with their new guests.

“It is good to see one of them again. Makes me feel almost young again. Or perhaps not quite so old.” Yelena quietly said. “And the Templar….. She is truly a rare find. Do I have your permission to speak with them? The Templar in particular needs healing.”

Alex quickly said, “She looks fine to me.” Perhaps a little too fine. Those odd memories he’d had when she had spoken to him before. They had frightened and shocked him at a time when he had started to believe he was beyond such things.

Apparently not.

“Her wounds are not apparent. Even Scions heal brain damage slowly. And then there are the deep spiritual wounds. She has suffered recent loss. Her babe….”

“She didn’t mention a baby!”

Yelena cocked her head sideways, “Her first I should think. Her breasts all bur groan from the burgeoning mother’s milk. Can you not feel it?”

Alex shook his head and watched Isabel.

“Send her too me and I will heal her. Send the good child to me as well. I will make sure that both of them are rested for tomorrow.”

Alex looked over at the Nymph. “I may need both of them tomorrow. And do not force either of them to pay too high a price for what you give them. I will pay Isabel’s price myself if need be. I would see her healed, but not at the cost of her first born”

Yelena placed her hand on his shoulder, “Worry not, I owe you and your family a debt I shall be long in paying. The price she pays for what I offer shall be what she chooses it to be, although if she finds my offer unpalatable I will tell her of your willingness to sacrifice for her. I go now to prepare a place for them, and I promise that I shall do nothing to either of your friends until you have left Bright Cove.

“Or have perished in the attempt.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.” Alex said dryly.

“You face great odds and greater danger. You have great power and strong allies, but your enemy is ancient and evil. The stakes are higher than you know. But now that even if you and your allies fall, I will not let your line fall to darkness. I vow now underneath the light of the sun and shine of the stars that I do so.”

Alex chuckled and looked again longingly at Isabel. “I do not have a line to protect yet. Maybe someday. My sister was definitely right about that.”

Yelena’s deep purple eyes were enigmatic, “Go forth to Bright Cove. You will find partial keys to your past and your future there. I go to prepare for them. I bid you a good day, my sweet Alex.” And she was gone.

Serena was still barking orders, but surely she had to have heard some of what Yelena said.

Keys to his past and future?

Alex looked again at Isabel. He knew with certainty one thing he hoped for his future. Alex drank her lush for in before turning reluctantly back to the maps and notes that Tess had left him.

First things first.

He had to save his sister.

(44718)
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 39 - 11/26/10

Post by PML »

Well here we go again. Its my last weekend, so I would hope I can plow through this last bit. Thanks again to everyone following along, and wish me luck.

mary mary- Thanks. Glad to hear about the holiday. I had one as well. Family can be wonderful can't it?

As for your second comment, this part here should be the last of the transition chapters. As Gandalf said in the Return of the King movie, "The Board is set, the Pieces are moving...."

valentinebaby- Thanks.

Across the Far Horizon part 40

Michael-

Michael followed Liz back to her ‘quarters.’ He was saluted with various remarks and suggestions with what he should do with her.

He played along of course, even copped more than one feel of her thinly clad breasts and body. She felt warm and sexy under his hands.

He was surprised how she reacted to him as well. Molding into his body, playing up the whole scene. Shooting smoky glares not just at him, but at some of the other men that they passed.

Sex kitten was not the first thing that popped into his mind when he thought of wizards. Liz was changing that fast. He had no doubt of her magical abilities either. She was the sort of hot magician he’d thought you would only see in the penny-dreadfuls.

She’d even told him that she would play along. But to not take it serious. If he did anything she didn’t like, he’d be cinders.

They made it to her room and she walked over to a small table to set up her equipment. With a casual flick of her hand the door shut. The candles burst into flame and the fireplace lit.

One single wave of her hand.

“You really could turn me to cinders couldn’t you?” Michael said, taking a chair and turning it around. He sat with the backing facing Liz. So much casual power.

Not that he was powerless. But as a display it had been effective. More so because it hadn’t even been deliberate. It was just something she did.

She looked over at him and cocked and eye. “Yeah, I probably could. With the right spell. Bur from what I have read, you Scions are very tough. And I would place you as a Crusader. Tougher still.” She tilted her head, “But yes, I could. Hmmm. Good idea actually.” She turned back and started to select a variety of various paints and colored chalk.

He watched her as she worked. An odd mix of desire and fear and guilt running through him. He really shouldn’t be thinking like this. This was more of the Michael of the last few years. The mercenary than the soldier he had been in the Verge. Or the Crusader he had once been for the Azen.

It was only made worse as Liz began to casually strip. She was paying him no attention at all as he watched her naked form draw sigils in the air. Then at some point she would finish whatever odd magic she was up to and the sigils and patterns and pictures would writhe and race onto a section of her olive skin.

Some of the designs stayed compact and occupied a set area. Others writhed like a web of lines that encompassed her body.

How long he simply watched her he wasn’t sure. But this last spell was almost too much for him. The others he had found oddly alluring, perhaps a bit erotic. This one…..

He waited until she was finished. Michael knew enough not to disturb a building spell, if only because she had warned him of it. He tried to look away, but the pattern was glowing and far to interesting to glance away.

He tried to keep his eyes somewhat higher on her body, but the lines of the last spell went everywhere. All leading and balanced by a tiny white rose just above the spot her belly met her left thigh.

Michael shook his head, “I should go.”

Liz looked up and laughed a bit ruefully. “Mom always did say that an audience was a bit of a turn on. It seems you are no different.” She glanced at his face, “Please stay. I really wasn’t kidding about how important not being interrupted is.”

Michael’s words were simple, “I want you Liz. I shouldn’t. But I just feel…. Aroused.”

Liz laughed, “It’s that last spell. It his Max the same way when I adjust it at all.” She shook her head, “It’s the enchantment elements involved. A little something extra to entice the opposite sex.”

“Liz, you don’t need it. Trust me on this.”

Liz smiled, obviously pleased at his comments. “Well most of the spell is a combination of a last line of defense and feminine health and hygiene. I manage to have a nice sideline inking a good number of the girls at school with variants of this. The White Rose is my Wizard’s Mark.” Her eyes tightened as she looked at him, “Where were you a month ago. You seem a pretty nice guy, if not one I’d ever be able to stand for a long time. But a nice torrid affair was just what I needed about a month ago. Too bad I am making up with my ex. Pity for both of us. We could have had some fun.”

“I should leave.”

She walked over and put her hand on his shoulder, “Please stay. All the reasons we talked about are still valid. Not to mention you need to be at the docks by eight, we are so much closer than where you were staying in the town.” She then gasped and backed away.

Michael stood and stared at her.

The look on her face was a mix of joy, delight, and guilt. She looked at him and began laughing. “Oh, Creator preserve me! That is just impossible. But then she didn’t know. And likely you…. Oh this is just perfect.”

“What?”

Liz was beaming, “Sit, sit, my friend. I have seen the future, and it is awesome.”

“What did you see?”

Liz was shaking her head, “I do not what to ruin the surprise. Just you have to be on the docks tomorrow. On time.” She walked over to the door and began waving the same chalk she had finished her designs with a few moments before.

Michael just watched her. He was curious, burningly curious.

Five minutes went by as she kept making design after design. Michael got up and went closer. And rapidly backed off. The image of him pushing himself into Liz to her moans of pleasure filling his mind. “What are you doing?”

She didn’t look at him at all, “What I would have done if I didn’t have you here with me. You react quickly, right? If this door opens, you’ll wake?”

Michael grunted an assent.

“Tomorrow is going to be a long day. You will need a little sleep. I still need to finish my spells, so why don’t you use my bed while I finish. The illusion will stop most folks from coming in more than a few feet. But if they do, you will need to stop them. Can you do that?”

Michael nodded, “Yes, but don’t you need me to stay awake?”

Liz grinned, “Well, that would be better. But you do need sleep. I will wake you with breakfast. As long as you can keep anyone from raising havoc that I am casting a full slate of spells in my room, I should be fine. And I trust you. My instincts told me I could. That you were one of the good guys. I can usually trust it. But now I have proof.”

“What changed?”

“I am a wizard, Michael. Sometimes I see things. It is part of my personal gift. And you and I will be good friends. Now shoo, get to sleep and let me get back to work.”

Michael just stared at Liz.

Liz just stepped up to him, and said deliberately, “There is a bed over there. You will be in it.”

“Or, what I will be a pile of cinders?”

“You? No. But trust me that what you will see tomorrow…. You will need some rest. So get in that bed now. And sleep.”

Michael just shook his head and lay down. He watched as Liz smiled at him for a little bit. And then she got back to her spells.

And although it surprised him, he drifted off to sleep remarkably fast.

He also trusted his instincts, and outside of lifetimes of adolescent impulsiveness, they too were often correct.

For the first time in many years, Michael felt safe.

An odd feeling that, being in the heart of the enemies lair.

But true never the less.

Michael slept.

(46108)
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 40 - 11/27/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along.

begonia9508- Thanks. And the answer to your question is yes. However, LIz is more than just a pretty face. As the pirates of Bright Cove are about to learn. (Sadly in a few parts, but probably today or early tomorrow. I plan on post madness today)

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringment is intended.

Across the Far Horizon part 41

Kyle-

Kyle shook his head at the disorientation of another translation. The sails had been furled and they were running under steam power. Only they were moving faster than any ship he had ever been on.

The Sylphs were still clambering up and down the masts, for fun if nothing else. They more than others were simply charmed at the fact the ship was moving AGAINST the wind for a change. And that the movement seemed to add to the breeze of an already stiff wind.

Add to the fact the girls seemed to have no conception of personal danger, it was like watching a circus high wire act full of chattering school girls. Of course, if he could glide and even fly for short distances, heights probably wouldn’t bother him either.

It was just so strange to watch. Because unless you knew, or had spent serious time with them, you wouldn’t know they were that much more than normal if flighty women. So watching a half dozen of them hanging upside down on a mast crossbeam like a bunch of bats just so that they could feel the wind properly…..

Cirelle came out and looked up. “Sylphs.” She placed her hand fondly on his arm, rubbing it slightly.

He glanced at her. What was he going to do? The woman, er, Dryad was carrying his child. While they hadn’t actually done anything after that fantastic day, she did like to smile at him. And touch him at times.

Kyle wasn’t sure what he felt about her. He really wasn’t. Because now that he knew that she was Tess’s mother he felt more than a little strange. Made worse, so much worse by the fact he could see so much of Tess in her.

Was he falling for her? Or was it just the flame that still burned for Tess? Kyle didn’t know.

Cirelle professed to care. But she seemed so happy when they talked. He could tell she liked him. And yet she asked, seriously talked about Kyle reestablishing his relationship with her daughter.

Tess. What did he feel for Tess now? Kyle still cared for her. Still dreamed of her. Only….

Kyle wondered if Cirelle knew the effect she had on him?

Maria walked out of the bridge area. She quickly glanced around. “You must be in heaven. So many scantily clad girls doing their best to show themselves off. That can not be safe.”

Cirelle said, “Sylphs are creatures of the wind. They love it just in the same way that my kind love wood, it is part of their make up. Just as your kind loves the Light, my Lady.” She bowed slightly at Maria. “I need to recheck some of the maps for our trip after we reach Bright Cove. There is a Translation Slot that is rarely used because of the geography, but if this ship can keep up her work, well…. We can do a bit of exploring.” She gave Kyle a kiss and went back into the bridge on her way to the wheelhouse.

And her maps. Kyle shook his head. The woman loved those things. Maybe if he came across some on his journey….

Now I am buy gifts for her? What does the woman mean to me?

Maria had a slight frown as she watched Cirelle go. “Trust Alex to have an all female crew for his ship.”

“You are forgetting Serena’s brothers in engineering.”
“Two out of what, eighty? And those two and Serena are the only humans on board…. What?”

“Trolls.”

Maria was shocked, “That’s not possible. Serena is so wise and, and… “

“She doesn’t have a tail. It was cut off by her owners. They raised her as human. You should ask her for her story. Once she warms up to you, I am sure she’ll tell you it.”

“Wow. So we are the only humans on board.” Maria looked away. She sighed bitterly, “Only that isn’t true either. Everyone keeps telling me I am Azen. Isabel is a Scion.” She waved over to the prow of the ship where Alex was staring off into the ocean. Isabel was standing nearby.

Kyle’s problems with Cirelle were nothing compared to Alex’s with Isabel.

Kyle pulled his step sister into a hug, “You are still my sister. Besides being Azen is kind of cool, I would think. Just look at those two. Lifetime after lifetime of botched romance. Do we consider Alex still human because we know that he’s lived before? Or are wizards just another group of oddities in the human condition?”

Maria pulled away. “What do you mean by wizards?”

Kyle smiled, “I was doing some thinking.”

Maria mimed complete shock.

Kyle continued wryly, “I know, I know. Stop the presses. But Isabel and Alex’s little revelation got me thinking. Was there ever a time when you did not see Max and Liz looking like an old married couple. Even when they are mad at each other, not speaking or hating each other for a time…. The other is a part of them. Can you even think of Liz without thinking of Max, or vice versa.”

Maria was nodding. “I see what you mean. When we get them back, we’ll need to find out if you are right. They were heading on the right track when I saw them last. So cute the two of them entangled in each other.”

Kyle just shook his head. And then looked up. The Sylphs were agitating up on the mast beam.

“Ship, several ships straight ahead.”

Maria said in a deadpanned voice, “Why does this worry me?”

“Could be a Merchantman.”

“We are what, nine hours out of Bright Cove? The current pirate haven known by all? If it’s a merchy, its been reconverted by it’s new masters.”

“Smuggler.”

“Several ships on a direct intercept course with an unknown vessel?”

Kyle nodded, “I am going to get my rifle. You are going to get that pretty golden dress of yours back on.”

Maria looked down at her somewhat revealing blouse and skirt she had borrowed form one of the Dryads. “Why. If we lose I get raped or killed or both either way. Might as well be comfortable.”

“I notice you kept the bracelets and anklets.”

Maria looked down at the anklets and her bare feet. “They keep my feet warm. And they don’t pinch or hurt. But the rest of it….“ She shivered. “That dress gives me the creeps. It almost feels alive.”

“Put it on anyway. The whole regalia. Even that silly tiara. I was talking to Alex, and that whole get up has heavier protections than his cloak.”

“So?”

“It’s bullet proof. Don’t worry, I will look just a stupid in those hunting leathers Liz made for me. Meet you back up here in say fifteen minutes?”

Maria sighed, “Yeah. I guess so. I, I just…. Kyle putting that dress on and all that it means. It makes me feel like they are right and that I am Azen. And I don’t like feeling like a mythological being.”

Kyle gave her another hug and left to get changed. Before he went to his cabin he found himself in the wheelhouse, watching Cirelle plot the maps.

What exactly did she mean to him?

Cirelle turned to face him briefly and smiled at him fondly before getting back to work.

Serena raised an eyebrow and continued to puff on her pipe. She opened her mouth to say something. Looked over at Cirelle and closed it.

Kyle waved at her and left to go change.

(47380)
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 41 - 11/27/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone reading along. Here begins the pirate attack. Hope you enjoy.

mary mary- Thanks. Kyle's descendants family tree will be a little complicated.

valentinebaby- Thanks. I agree. To both your comments.

Disclaimer-Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

Across the Far Horizon part 42

Alex

Alex looked at the oncoming ships and sighed. Pirates. They were already flying flags calling for him to surrender.

He really didn’t have time for this. But five ships was a lot. If he could not convince them to let him by, a lot of people would die.

Isabel moved up to him and held his arm, “What now, love?”

“You need to get to safety, Isabel. I will be fine, but I don’t want to see you get hurt.”

Isabel tossed her head, “I am not leaving you alone out here. I know you plan on driving off these ships. I’m a Scion, Alex. Let me help. I am a Templar and the elements themselves are at your disposal.”

Alex looked at her worriedly. He knew he would not be able to simply command her to leave. She would just ignore him and try to help him. Might as well have her close enough to protect her if need be. “We will need to smash them before they can get close enough to board. Five ships is simply too many for a stand up fight.

He began readying a variation of the spell he had cast to knock Isabel down. Only this would be lethal.

Alex made a few complicated hand signs and certain flags went up on the ensign post. The Far Horizon now flew the official naval flag. It bore the Lavender Rose of his personal mark. And the signal flag for no surrender.

Isabel took note of the flags and kissed him. “Thank you.”

“What for?”

“For remembering me even when you did not remember.”

Alex looked up at the flag. He’d had a lot of questions asked about it. He had said it reflected his families past. Although that was pure rubbish as Charles Whitman was nearly a self made man. “I guess now I know why it was so important to me.” He smiled at her.

Off to the ships side a massive plume of water went up.

They were being shot at.

Alex began his spell, pulling water from the surrounding ocean.

Isabel watched as the water began to whip around the larger Far Horizon. “You do realize a few water bolts aren’t going to stop them.”

“There is nothing simple about these bolts.” Alex shrugged slightly as he continued, “I didn’t want to hurt you so I cut down on the spell.”

“Maria said you used to use something similar during beach duels.” She raised one eyebrow in question.

Creator help him her eyes were so beautiful. And her smile…..

Alex had to focus. He could already feel the growing weight of the water circling the ship. Each of the cup sized balls of water glittering from the inset spells. “I militarized it.” Already he could feel more than a ton of water circling his ship.

Isabel just gasped, “How much water do you plan on using?”

“As much as I need.”

A sudden sickening crack came from his left. Dust dropped to the deck.

Isabel was nodding. “The more things change…. So, what are they? Chemically based Ballistae analogues?”

Alex looked over at her, “Yeah, I guess that is all they are. Better velocity and power though. Enough that old style walls are pointless.”

“When this is over we need to talk shop. I have a lot to catch up on.” She laughed suddenly, “It’ll give those late night talks a little bang.”

The swirling cascade of water surrounding his ship was nearing three tons of water.

Fire.

The bolts of water shot from the circling mass at the ships nearing them. Only instead of solid bolts of water they shifted to jagged pieces of ice. Ice hard enough to pierce flesh and bone and wood.

The decks and rigging of the oncoming ships were now filled with screams of agony and fear.

Then the second half of the spell triggered, causing the ice to be heated to thousands of degrees. Explosions of steam ripped through the enemy ships.

All of it pointless because of one ball of lead. A lucky shot by a pirate rifle man.

The bullet had passed through Isabel’s upper left chest. Right about where her heart had been.

Alex watched the light go out of the love of his life’s eyes. He could feel her die as he grabbed her, totally unaware and uncaring of the havoc he had just wrecked.

Again. It had happened again. His love torn from him.

What use was living life after life if the same thing happened? If he could finally believe that he could be happy only to have it torn from him again and again.

What good was Creation?

Long ago, when Edward Harding had first became aware of Alex Whitman he had tried to woo him to his side. To be mentored in the various arcane methodologies that he had studied.

To become a Dark Wizard, although neither Alex nor the Wizard’s Council had known that at the time. Alex had been the most promising student Edward had ever seen in an exceptionally long lifetime. He had all the necessary talent. The right mix of power and intellect.

The problem was he had the wrong disposition. He was in essence a nice guy. Not naturally the source of Dark Wizards. Destruction and destructive magic came naturally to him, but he was not truly a destructive man. He disliked hurting people. He loved to help and support others.

But Edward had tried. And finally one of the seeds he had sown sprouted.

For in that moment while he watched Isabel die, he knew despair.

The Darkness reached out for him.

And Alex listened…..

(48332)
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 42 - 11/27/10

Post by PML »

And so continues another day of post madness. Hope you are all enjoying this. Number wise my story is pretty much there. Story wise I have a bit to go. So lets continue, shall we?

valentinebaby- Thanks. Its possible. But remember this woman has already survived being disemboweled and having her baby ripped out of her stomach. Scions are tough. Alex knows this too, but having a one ounce ball of lead go straight through your heart? He's pretty sure she's dead.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Michael and Liz were fun to write. And as for Tess, being very careful aroudn her is a given.

Disclaimer-Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

Across the Far Horizon part 43

Maria stood waiting for Kyle, peeking around the corner at the oncoming ships. The Far Horizon was surrounded by what seemed a wall of giant rain drops.

Alex’s beach attack given teeth.

Maria could feel tiny bits of darkness curled in each of the giant teardrops of water. So much potential for destruction. Her heart went out to Alex.

And to the victims that would soon feel the wrath that was about to be unleashed upon them. But mostly for Alex. What could wielding such power do to a man? Using the powers that fed Creation to kill?

Maria began praying. Not just for Alex, to be sure. But there were prayers to hold and strengthen his soul against the corrosion such power could wield.

She felt again that seductive pleasure rush into her. But this time she felt a focus. A waiting.

And it filled her and filled her. Until she was little more than a pool of light. A pool of pure bliss and happiness. With it in her she could feel her senses expand and expand. She could feel the way the wood had been crafted with love. She would be able to point at the Dryad who had shaped the board she was touching.

She could hear the individual conversations, not only on the Horizon but on the other ships. She could feel the magic that surrounded the Far Horizon. Feel the fear that the Scion aboard the pirate flagship felt toward the whirling wall of water surrounding the Far Horizon.

She could taste the souls of the men and women who crew all of the ships. And excepting a few on board the pirate ships, there were only few evil souls involved. Most were simply lost. Living lives of self destruction because that was what they knew.

And others who had had their normal life wrested away from them. They had been given, no forced, this life.

Tess. It always came back to Tess.

She shook her head, not allowing bitterness to sully the bliss and connection she felt.

She would have a choice to make in the next few minutes. One that would have consequences. It was not the Choice. But it was one.

A bullet smacked right next to her, lodging in the wood. Luckily any splinters from it missed her. But a few inches to the right and she would be dead.

Maria had never been so full of life before, never. The thought of death, the thought of how fast it could take her frightened her like never before. She ducked behind the wall.

She heard and felt Alex release his massive spell. She felt the pain and fear and death as it swept across the pirate fleet.

“Maria, what is wrong?” Kyle asked, taking cover in the same doorway.

She looked up at him. At her confused and flawed brother, whose soul still shown clear and strong. Tears came to her eyes looking at him. A Child of Light amongst the Fallen.

How had he navigated the world without being sullied.

And she knew. He hadn’t. He had failed at times, as surely as she herself had. And then he had gotten up and tried to do better.

It was where her people had failed. They had done the right thing, the good thing, for so long they had forgotten that they too were human. That they too could be mistaken. That they too could Fall.

‘It is true. I am Azen.’ Maria thought calmly.

Kyle grabbed her face with his hands, looking deep into her eyes. “Maria what is wrong with you? Your eyes…. The green its….”

Maria flinched as Isabel fell.

She placed her hand on Kyle’s shoulder, “It is all falling apart. Oh, Creator help him. The pain. The memories. Oh, Light, Kyle, Alex remembers. Life after Life, he remembers.”

“What is it?” There was worry and fear in his eyes. “What has happened to your eyes?”

“This is all a trap. A trap for Alex. And his despair is so deep. So much hidden pain.” Maria could see her eyes glow in reflection in his eyes.

The Light inside her was leaking out of her eyes. She smiled as she felt the Light from her eyes seep into her step brother. She could feel him calm. She could feel it feed his hungry body and soul.

She didn’t have much time. She had too much to do.

Because she could feel as the Darkness stretched out feelers to Alex. As it whispered to him in his despair.

It would not be able to use Alex the same way it could use Maria. Alex would not be able to directly channel it.

But that would make it only more horrific, as Alex used the powers of Creation itself to attempt to unmake it. She peeked out the door. He was glaring at the sky, his hands covered in Isabel’s lifeblood.

And he was beginning to chant. Loudly, his arms drawing invisible sigils in the air.

He was building a spell of translation. Similar to the one that opened pathways between the worlds.

Only this gate lead to Hell itself.

A dark mist began to surround all of the six ships…..

He had to be stopped.

“Maria don’t go out there!”

Maria smiled back at her brother. “It is what I was made to do.”

Kyle stared at her and watched her go.

Maria walked slowly through the thickening mists. She could already hear horrors coming.

She had to stop her friend before he went too far and damned them all.

(49271)
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 43 - 11/27/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again as post yet another part. I needed to catch up the Horizons crew timewise with the folks in Bright Cove. The pirate battle took about 5000 words to write but occupied maybe an hour or less of time. Bright Cove will probably be the same, and that is where we are headed after this part.

mary mary- Hardings trap wasn't to actually put Alex in danger of death, but rather in despair. To make him susceptable to the Dark Powers Edward uses. Alex neatly fell into the trap when Isabel died.

The question is whether they can escape it.

Across the Far Horizon part 44

Kyle

Kyle watched as Maria marched purposefully towards where Alex stood glaring at the sky, casting what sort of spell he wasn’t sure.

Only that it was no good. Already a dark mist seemed to cling to everything. It seemed to pause at the doorway, as if reluctant to enter.

Serena rushed to the door, “Everyone get inside NOW! Prepare to evacuate to the Third Level.

One of the Sylphs turned to her, “But what of the ship?”

“We will save her if we can. But first we need to see if we can save ourselves. I want all you girls back down home. Yes that includes you Cirelle. Guard the door. You will know if it needs to be closed and barred.”

Cirelle looked at Serena, tears in her eyes, “But what of you?”

“A Captain stays with her ship. Besides the Alex is a good man. He might snap out of this madness.”

Kyle sat there and unloaded the regular bullets in his pistols. And loaded them with a series of special bullets Liz had crafted him to be used in emergencies. Well this certainly counted as one. “Do you know exactly what he is doing?”

Serena’s face was grim, “He is opening a portal to Hell. Whether it sucks us in or just the pirate ships I don’t know. But either way some of its denizens will come to play.”

Kyle blinked, “You have seen this before?”

“Our master did not want to let my people free. His opinion was that if he could not rule us no one could. And so he opened a portal.” She shook her head in sadness, “It was Alex that saved us. He had been instrumental in freeing us, and he did not abandon us in the end.” She looked out towards a shadowed Alex. “I will not abandon him.”

Kyle’s eyes followed her eyes, Alex was fully in shadow now, the sky lit in a strange orange and black. Cries of horror were now coming from the boats, and Kyle could see… things moving on the ship.

And Maria still stalked closer to Alex. Only surrounding her was the normal light of day, around which the dark beings surrounded her.

“I have to protect her. I swore to my father that I would.”

“Look, I know you are crazy brave. But going out there is just crazy. Those things, they aren’t human. You can not kill them with mortal weapons.”

“How did your people fight them?”

“Oh, they can be hurt, Kyle. You just can’t kill them. Supposedly the Silver Blades of the Azen could pierce their defenses. They gave them to the Scions, but…. You are just a normal guy, Kyle. A good one. Don’t make Cirelle’s baby an orphan before its born.”

“I swore and oath, Serena. One that I WILL honor.”

Serena just shook her head. “Creator’s Light go with you, son. You are going to need it.”

Kyle walked out of the doorway and into the mist. It was strange. Both fetid and hot and icy cold at the same time. Sweat broke out from every pore even as he shuddered from the cold.

It was not natural at all.

Just another day for Kyle Valenti. Knowing his friends had been hard on his sanity until he had just let himself roll with the punches and deal with whatever came his way.

He wasn’t sure his bullets would work. Although the saber he held in his right hand was glowing with a reassuring glittering silver flame. The silver rose near the pommel blazed like the sun.

He doubted it would match any of the fancy blades of the Azen, but he trusted Liz.

And he was attacked. Creatures of vague humanoid shape swarmed around him and tried to tear at him with their claws. He cut and shot at them.

The bullets hurt them, but they did not die. The sword on the other hand caused them to burst into silver flame and seemingly die. A few moments later they all left him alone.

Looking for easier prey.

He saw his sister being crowded out from Alex by some massive and powerful entity. It looked at him for a moment.

Kyle had never felt so utterly beneath contempt before. So very small and pathetic. Beneath notice.

Kyle wanted nothing more than to lay down and curl up. And die.

He resisted, but knew that if that being kept itself focused on him that he would fail. But Maria distracted it somehow.

And Kyle remained standing. He ran to a sobbing Alex.

An Alex whose eyes were a solid onyx black. Not a good sign.

Kyle said, “What do you think you are doing, Alex? How do you think this is going to help anyone?”

“It is all a lie, Kyle. You should know more than I. Edward was right. He tried to teach me although I did not see. He managed to instill it in Tess though. Creation is a lie and a prison. It is better for it to all simply end.”

“What gives you the right to make that choice for all of us? So your life is crappy. My true love is an evil mind controlling bitch and yours died right as you found her. That’s a good call for both of us to be semi-debauched confirmed bachelors with a girl in every port as we try to save the world. Not for you to be summoning demons and opening portals to Hell. Creator knows you’re a bit flamboyant, but come on, Alex. This is over the top even for you. So just stop it.”

“I can’t. It is too strong, my need for vengeance. It cries out to be filled.” Alex was crying now.

They were tears of blood, but surely that was progress?

He looked over at his sister. She still stood defying that entity. But the patch of light surrounding her was much smaller. And other things were beginning to crowd around her.

Hungry things.

“Alex, what will happen to Liz if you do this? Will you leave her to a death alone at the hands of Edward Harding. You do know he made a pass at her once. I think he might have pushed it further if I hadn’t come for her. Do you truly want her spread-eagled and screaming under that sadistic bastard? To do to her what he did to Tess?”

Alex blinked and his focus on the translation spell slipped. Was that a touch of normal sunlight off to the west?

Kyle had to keep going. Kyle’s voice dripped bitterness, “You didn’t know? It was one of the memories the Redactors were able to recover for me. When he came back from his six year trip, Tess and I were firmly established. We had even secretly spoken vows to each other. What you may not know is we were trying for a baby. Only her father came back. He was happy about the whole baby thing. Just not about her choice of father.” Kyle’s voice shook with anger and passion, “He let her keep me most of the time. To play with as a toy, that was what he called me. Her human toy. But on those days of maximum fertility he made me watch as he took her himself. Until she agreed to do whatever it took to get a child by Max. No matter the cost.”

“And I was discarded like the toy I was. And you know the real hell of it all, Alex. I still love her. I still miss her touch. Even Liz said she was the one for me. That she fit me best. Did I go on a murderous rampage after all of this? No. No I didn’t. And you don’t have the right either.”

Alex looked at him and nodded. And began to chant.

Kyle looked nervously around him. Only that Entity still hovered near Maria. And she seemed exhausted. So close to falling. But he could tell by the set of her jaw that she would die first.

Kyle smiled at her.

The entity began to move towards Alex, coming to rip him to shreds. “He is mine.”

Maria’s voice took on a sardonic tone, “He has made his choice. Freely made. You can continue to tempt him, as is your right. But for now. He is not yours.”

“I will take him now.”

Maria suddenly seemed full of energy again, her eyes flickering with a purplish light so similar to Yelena’s eyes. “No you will not. Now be gone.”

There was a howl and it was gone.

Kyle walked over to Maria. “Maria? Are you okay?”

Maria smiled up at him, “Good job, human. Without your honor and your wisdom this trap might have worked. As for your sister, well, she is one tough cookie. Make sure all of you get enough rest. Tomorrow will be tough for all of you. Give Yelena a kiss for me, okay, human?” And then Maria slumped to the ground.

Kyle caught her and picked her up. He carried her over to Alex. “I need to put Maria to bed. But if you need to talk about it all.”

Alex picked up Isabel's body and nodded.

Later. It would have to be later.

Serena greeted them with smiles. The Sylphs and Dryads swarmed the ship.

Alex gave orders to aid the survivors of the other ships. That he would return to protect them as needed.

But that he had had enough of death today.

Kyle went to put his sister to bed.

And went to help his friend.
(50884)
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 44 - 11/28/10

Post by PML »

And here we go the first of hopefully many posts this evening. Hope you enjoy.

valentinebaby- Thanks. Yeah, me too. Edward is evil. And had been for a very long time.

moomin- Thanks. You left out Michael, who had a bit of a rough back story. But hasn't suffered nearly as much as the others have. Sort of. Hope you continue to enjoy. Most of those questions should be answered in teh next few posts. Hopefully tonight if I am inspired.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Now think Carolyn, do you truly wish Jack Sparrow to be working for the likes of Nikolai and Edward? Imagine him showing up after the good guys run those two out of town. He'd be right at home in Bright Cove. Edward is a bad combination of Dark Wizard and Azen. He is evil and he is powerful. Hopefully our friends can stop him.

Across the Far Horizon part 45

Michael-

Michael stood at the piers and waited. He checked his pocket watch for the fifth time. Still just before eight in the morning.

He remembered the breakfast he had left not more than a half hour ago. And the fascinating woman who had served it. Liz Parker had been dressed again, in the garments that he had first met her in.

Assuming that one could call that dressed. So much of her skin was so freely visible. And yet none of the many sigils and designs she had place on it were to be seen.

Michael shook his head, ‘I need to get laid. And its not going to be Parker, so I should just get over it.” He rolled a couple or rings she had given him. Charms to guard him and the woman he woman he was to protect.

He could feel the magic inside the rings. Gold inlayed by a series of wizards runes. Although he could see a tiny white rose on the inside. Liz’s Mark. That woman had made these.

A hush seemed to fall on the piers as a fog began to drift in. The Scion Nikolai had placed in charge of the port struggled and tried to push it back.

Fog would slow down the business of the day after all. And Nikolai was not the most forgiving of men.

Michael could feel as the nameless Scion struggled against the fog. Could he feel that the fog was unnatural? Could he sense the scent of a Templar backed with the electric tang of Wizardry?

Michael loosened the silvered sword in his scabbard. Unless he was mistaken Bright Cove was about to be attacked.

There was a distant boom of a cannon.

And the alarm bells began to ring. Bright Cove was under attack.

He could hear a low toned argument from a boat heading right for him.

“The man was supposed to wait.” Came a male voice.

“Yeah, well it’s your prototype boat whose motor failed. And here I am back to rowing.” Came another male voice. “We should already be on our way by your guess.”

“Will you two be quiet? I swear we are trying to invade hostile territory here and you two are bickering like a pair of first years over a homework assignment!” Said a female voice.

One that sounded so familiar. One that cut straight through his defenses .

He KNEW that voice.

So he stood there trembling. It was impossible. She couldn’t be here.

A small boat hit the wooden pier lightly. One of the men, dressed in a long black cape with a top hat leapt from the boat to the pier.

A rope was tossed to him and he tied the boat up.
Michael just stood there. Watching.

There were two other people he could vaguely see in the boat. Both of them were grabbing things and handing them to the man on the pier.

A short man clambered up. Michael noticed the pistols and the rifle slung across his back. And the well worn scabbard of a saber. A soldier.

But it was the woman who came next that caused him to fall to his knees in shock. It was impossible. Simply impossible.

Maria Coreli was surely in the Capital. Or somewhere other than this. Not here. Not in Bright Cove.

The reaction of Liz last night. Surely she hadn’t known?

Unless…..

Tess had said some friends were coming. Friends of Liz. Maria would have spoken of him surely, would have done at least that.

And what had Mr. Blue promised him?

That she would bring him hope. And Faith. And Love.

Michael was crying not caring as he watched her step out of the boat.

The short man looked at Michael, “Uh, Alex. We have company.”

Michael stood up. “I am Scion Crusader, Michael Guerin. I am here to Protect the Azen Maria Deluca.” He swallowed harshly, “And more if she will let me.”

“What is this, I don’t need.” Maria stopped and stared at him. And rushed at him, holding him tight.

Alex said, “Well, Kyle, it appears they know each other.”

Kyle’s voice was a bit gruff, “Apparently.”

Michael just kissed Maria. It felt so very right. Like it had all those years ago.

“Do you think we should just leave them there? I mean, we are in the middle of trying to FREE my sister. But really, no rush Maria.”

Michael sighed as Maria reluctantly pulled away.

She looked up at him, “You and I need to talk after this.”

“I am going with you. I have been tasked to protect you.” He handed her the smaller of the two rings. “A friend of mine gave me these. They will help me protect you.”

Maria looked down at the rings. “You know what these signify don’t you?” She looked inside the ring at the White Rose mark. “Oh, Lizzie, always the romantic.”

“I don’t care. As long as it keeps you safe, I don’t care.”

She slipped the ring on her finger. And slid the other on his.

He could suddenly feel her. Could feel how she had changed and grown.

That was only fair, he too had changed.

She looked up into his eyes and smiled, “We’ll do the ceremony stuff once we get back on the Far Horizon. I am sure Serena will be more than happy to. Not that it will matter.”

Alex looked between the two of them. “Maria, what did you just do.”

“I just got married. Come on, we need to save your sister.”

Michael thought, ‘Married? I am married now?’ He looked over at Maria who just smiled up at him.

This could be good.

This could be very good indeed.

And they moved off the piers, ignoring the screams and agitated men struggling to get into their ships. To get them out to sea.

They had a lot to do and not a lot of time.

He was a married man and wished to get this all over with so he could consummate things. And he could feel through the rings it was mutual.

(51913)
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 45 - 11/28/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again. This chapter was hard, although it ends much more satisfying than it begins. Let's just say the battle has begun.

keepsmilng7- Thanks.

Mt. Gazer- Thanks. I just thought its what they would do. Trust them to argue right in the middle of an invasion. And I am working on it.

mary mary- Thanks. It has been addictive on my end to some degree. Too bad November is almost over. As for the ring, they are admittedly enchanted.

valentinebaby- Thanks. Talk about a whirlwind romance.

Across the Far Horizon part 46

Max

Max was a little concerned about the fact they had not returned Milton. It had been hours.

Could they be torturing him still? Or had he given in?

Would he truly lead Edward to the lost world of the Azen?

Max himself had been left alone mostly. But the deadline had passed. He wasn’t sure what he thought about Michael, but he was grateful that the man had been there to keep Liz safe that morning.

Because at around five in the morning a man had entered that room and tried to get at Liz. And he had been slain quickly by Michael.

A Michael who had gotten a quick kiss from Liz, before she started making breakfast for him.

Max couldn’t help but feel a trace of jealousy. He knew Liz loved him. He knew it, could feel it through this damn orb. But he could also feel the attraction Liz felt for Michael.

Now Liz was alone and waiting. She must have seen something because she was all keyed up and excited. And no matter how eager she was to escape, he couldn’t see her trusting Tess that far.

The door to her room opened. Liz stood and pointed her hands at the door….

And stopped. She physically could not move.

A middle aged man walked into the room, one hand pointed at Liz. “What do we have here? I believe it is Nancy Madigan’s daughter.”

Max could feel the frustration of Liz as she simply could not move a muscle.

“I used to watch your mother perform, years ago. Back in Capital on the Verge. She used to leave us always wanting more. Always wanting her, but so unattainable. So wound up we needed to find release somehow. Such easy targets for your father’s overpriced whores.” He shook his head in memory, “I never did get my hands on your mother. I guess you will have to do.” He smiled, “Somehow I think I will manage. Now, strip.”

Max could feel her try to resist, but the power of the man was too strong. Another Heart-Shaper.

Liz began to remove her clothes.

“No, my dear. Strip like I was your fondest lover.”

Max could feel the strain of Liz against the command. Could feel her shame and guilt.

Max set the orb down.

He couldn’t let this happen to her. Anything was better than this. Even service to Edward.

He rattled his door. “I will do it. Get me Edward! I will swear to him.”

The guard came around the door to face him. “I am sorry, he is busy. And I was told not to disturb him. Not for any reason.”

“I need to see him.”

Nikolai walked up to the door and grinned at Max. “You are too late, friend. Edward is getting ready to taste his prize. But I will remind him you are willing to serve. You can have her back. If she is still willing.”

“You MONSTERS!”

“Don’t worry about the girl, Tess will wipe her memory of the whole thing. Unless you change your mind and plan on holding out on us. Then Edward gets a new toy. They don’t tend to last long once he really takes an interest in them….” Nikolai cocked his head sideways, “The man is somewhat… extreme…. in his pleasures.”

Max threw himself back onto his cot. What could he do? His powers were negated here. He looked at the orb.

Could he live with what had to be going on? To know that Liz had been raped, by more than one person. Because of him?

And yet did just sitting by and letting her suffer it alone…. When he could bear a part of the pain, even if she didn’t know it? What should he do?

What could he do?

He picked up the orb. If all he could do for her is share the pain, that is what he would do.

Liz pushed the body off of her. And out of her.

Much better to do it now than before the spell took full effect.

The heat wouldn’t bother her, or really affect anything but assailant. But just the thought of having to clean herself out of the mans ash. Of the man’s dick breaking apart inside her.

She stood up and cast a couple pain-killing spells. No real time for healing.

She looked down at her assailant. “You knew I was a wizard. Didn’t you think I would have some sort of protection against assholes like you? One that didn’t need any time or movement or speech. Just some unwanted friction rubbing against them.” She shook her head, “How does it feel to be cooking from the inside out?”

She laughed bitterly, “Well that part of the spell worked. Now I need to figure out a retaliatory strike that works before I get raped. At least Max will never know.”

She began to activate a few more spells.

Liz had always specialized in alteration, changing the nature of things from one thing to another. And he could feel as the tissues of Liz’s body shifted and changed.

Once more the door to the room opened. Edward stood in the doorway. “Well, my dear Liz Parker. What a true pleasure to see you again. All grown up, and a few tricks up the sleeve it seems.”

Max felt as Liz rushed the man and held him against the wall. Where she touched him his skin burned and his clothing smoked. “Do you still want me Edward? I think I am ready for you now.” She pulled his head to kiss him, one hand sneaking into his pants to fondle him.

He screamed into her mouth.

Max could feel the anger and hatred Liz felt as she grabbed and seared his dick before reaching to crush his testicles.

She was just about to rip them off of him with her augmented strength, when he disappeared from view.

A whisper filled her ears, “I will have you Liz Parker. You will be mine until you scream in eternal agony and ecstasy. I will keep you as my slave forever until you beg for your own soul’s destruction. You are MINE!”

“Good luck, pal. I just want you dead.” And Liz began to walk the halls towards her fate.

Max set it down.

She was coming for him. He could feel it.

He needed to be ready.

(52990)
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 46 - 11/28/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again as we go on our merry tour of Bright Cove Castle.

mary mary- Thanks. Make no mistake, making Liz angry with you is a big mistake. Her powers are not as dramatic as Alex's but just as deadly.

valentinebaby- Thanks. They need to get in and get out before any of them get hurt. What could possibly go wrong?

Across the Far Horizon part 47

Kyle-

Kyle had switched to his pistols. He was good, really good with the saber.

Michael was better. Much better. Where he moved people died. Just. Like. That.

And backing him up was Alex. A gate? A barricade? Offending wall? A gesture from him and it was so much matchwood.

They were just as effective against people as a group of spearmen found out. And his spells could go around corners too.

In terms of adding combat power, Kyle felt about as useful as Maria. He was pretty much down to watching for traps and hidden guards. Of which he had shot two.

‘I am just a normal guy between two forces of destruction. What under the Light of Creation am I doing here?’ Kyle mused as they plowed through another small barricade.

“Tess’s room is this way.” Michael gestured.

Maria asked, “You said you know where they are keeping Liz too? Shouldn’t we get her first. Concentrate out firepower so to speak.”

“Right, because Alex and Michael aren’t enough?” Kyle pointed around them, “I say we get Liz, because we can’t trust Tess. I know, I know, the kid. We’ll have to swing by to get him, but wont it be better if we have Liz in tow by that point?”

Michael grunted. “I promised I would aid the woman. But I don’t trust her either. As long as you all will help me help Tess, I don’t care about what order it’s done in.”

Alex nodded thoughtfully, “Okay, show us where Liz was being kept.”

A few moments later they were standing in Liz’s ‘quarters.’

Kyle stared at the room. There was a deep smell of burnt flesh and cloth. And a heavy metal smell. Hot metal. “Its like a foundry in here. Not the heat, but the smell.”

Alex nodded again. “Transmutation. Looks like Liz decided not to wait.”

“I doubt that was by choice,“ Michael said, touching the ashen body on the bed, “She wasn’t joking.”

“What do you mean?”

Michael looked at all of them swiftly, “Someone tried to force himself on her. She’d been building spells all night. This is what she jokingly told me she would do if anyone tried anything.”

Maria chimed in, “Yeah, Liz is big on the defensive spells. Most of them distract or call attention to the attack. But the last line…. Yeah if she didn’t want to draw attention to her…. But the retaliatory stuff is strictly last line. And um, not this extreme. I know mine isn’t set to kill.”

Kyle looked at her. The others did as well.

Maria just glared back, “What? You think just because were mages or wizards we can’t get raped? That we don’t know that most of the bastards in human form who would do such a thing are after the rush of power? And what is more of a rush than beating down a woman of power? Things can go wrong, and we might not be able to defend ourselves in the moment. This covers that vulnerability. And if everything goes wrong, if nothing can stop it, well you get something like this.”

Michael slammed his fist on the ashen face of the burnt out man, “I should have stayed. She would have been safe then.”

Maria reached up and held onto him, “Michael, you couldn’t have known.”

Alex cleared his throat, “All right. My sister is moving. She’s probably headed to find Max.”

Kyle sighed, “Great. We just don’t seem to be able to catch up to her.”

Maria said quietly, clinging to Michael. “We have to Kyle. Today is the day. I can feel it. We need to get to her before it happens, or…”

Michael growled.

Alex nodded. “Okay, this is what we are going to do. Kyle and I will follow my sister. You two fetch Tess and follow behind us.” Alex looked at Michael, “Tess is a healer?”

“Yes. Her talent has been perverted, but she should be able to heal just about any wound.”

“Go, we might need her.”

“Right.” Michael moved to the door, waiting for Maria.

Maria walked over to her two friends. “My prayers go with you. Save her, please. I don’t even want to think of a world without Liz. Who will make rings for you and Isabel, Alex? And trust me.” She looked over at Michael. “You will want her to.”

Kyle gave his step sister a kiss, “You be careful and take care of that guy over there okay?”

Maria hugged him and walked over to Michael.

Michael saluted them, and they were gone.

Kyle looked at Alex. “I wonder how they plan on tracking us.”

Alex smiled, “The same way we will be tracking Liz. Follow the devastation.”

Kyle laughed nervously, “Right.” He walked into the hallway, looked both ways. Saw that a doorway was ripped off its frame. “I think she went that way.”

Alex said, “Good choice.”

And they followed the path of destruction to catch up to Liz.

Hopefully they would get there in time.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Across the Far Horizon (CC ALL, Mature) Part 47 - 11/28/10

Post by PML »

A quick peek to see what Liz is up to.

Across the Far Horizon part 48

Liz

Liz walked down the corridor. She wished Tess had not made the soldiers she had made for Nikolai so loyal. Because they simply wouldn’t run away.

She turned a corner. She was staring into the muzzles of a dozen loaded muskets. “Please.”

“Fire!” Their captain cried. A loud rolling boom filled the corridor along with a wall of choking smoke.

Liz’s voice sounded different than it had, more like the tolling of a bell than a normal human voice. “Look, fellows, I am not even dented. Why don’t you just go running home now. Really, I am not here for you.”

She could see the shocked gazes as she walked through the smoke. Half of them were absently reloading their muskets. All of them were shocked.

But then she didn’t blame them. She was a living breathing statue of animate metal.

It probably didn’t help that she was nude. But the temperatures she needed to maintain flexibility set any cloth to smoldering if not on fire.

She didn’t have a choice.

“Look, see, not even a scratch. So run away now.”

The captain looked absolutely freaked. Didn’t stop him from doing what every group of defenders had done since she had started this little expedition. “For Lord Nikolai and Victory! Charge!”

And didn’t the poor fools charge her.

She tried not to kill anyone.

And a few minutes later she was on her way. She would find Max sooner or later.

It was only a matter of time.

(54092)