The Sorcerer and the Stargazer (AU Teen) Complete - 10/06/09

Finished stories set in an alternate universe to that introduced in the show, or which alter events from the show significantly, but which include the Roswell characters. Aliens play a role in these fics. All complete stories on the main AU with Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Sorcerer and the Stargazer (AU Teen) Part 8 - 10/26/08

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone reading this story.

begonia9508- Pod kids so to speak. All of the gang will have descendants no matter what outcome their quest will be. Liz and Maria both came clean with Max and Michael about the fact that Amy was going to cook up a couple of children in her lab using their DNA. It is possible that none of them will see those children, but they do know that they will exist, safe and sound.

RhondaAnn- Could not resist the urge to use the term Pod Squad. Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed that candy scene.

Alex is not going to take chances. He has every intention of winning directly, but has no intention of failing in saving mankind. He will do whatever it takes. He still did not expect Faith.

Flamehair- I am glad you are enjoying the story. Gudrun made a terrible mistake and lots of people are going to pay for it. Kvar has not truly shown his true colors to many people. Those he does typically end up either indebted, enslaved, or dead. So Kvar's reputation is as a good guy. She still should have trusted Vilandra.

Disclaimer- The characters of Roswell are not mine and no infringement is intended. The plot and the extras for good and ill are mine.

The Sorcerer and the Stargazer part 9

Harrissteading, Antar, Alfheim

Siyan lounged by the bedroom door that sheltered a battered young woman. Signy was truly a casualty of fate, suffering not because of her weaknesses but because of her strengths. Her brave stand yesterday, her sheer indomitable will had impressed Siyan.

Unfortunately Kvar could not stand resistance to his will. Kvar had bound the local vaettir, and without their aid, Signy was no match him.

In a way, Siyan felt this was her fault. She had warned Kvar not to kill the girl. That her draugr would be particularly potent, and she could easily become a blight on the local land.

She knew that he planned on taking her from her home and selling her off to some dire fate. And while Siyan had despaired of that, there still existed a tiny bit of hope for the girl.

Apparently that wasn’t personal enough for the proud Fire Wizard. He had to prove his natural dominance by forcing the girl.

Naturally this was done after he had taken Vilandra’s soul. And he made sure that she would know what he was doing. He had done everything short of taking the girl on the high table in the main hall. Everyone had to know what had happened, her screams for help and pleas for mercy had rung through the air.

Not one person helped her. Not. One.

Hard to believe these people still called themselves Ljosalfar.

She had seen one small party leave hurriedly, heading off to the capital. Not that any help would get here in any time to help Signy. And likely they would simply believe Kvar. Certainly the man who seemed to be the most likely successor to Harick would help Kvar.

The man was a smuggler. A smuggler to Nidavellir. Apparently there was a small gate nearby. Whether Harick had known was irrelevant. The man dealt with the dark powers and apparently had been in the pay of Kvar for a long time.

Now the method of Kvar’s rapid tracking of Vilandra made sense. He had spies everywhere.

Thinking of Vilandra brought fresh sorrow to Siyan. Not only had the poor woman joined her in the curse that Siyan had labored under, the news Siyan had picked up from the local vaettir was dire.

Kvar was a fool if he thought binding the vaettir would render them totally helpless. They could still carry tales to those who knew how to listen. Few of the Alfar knew the art, but among her people it was a common skill.

Vilandra’s father had been sacrificed to the forces of the Primeval Chaos. The Dokkalfar had used his soul to summon the Fimbul Winter. And worse.

Already Siyan could see the clouds gather. Soon it would begin to snow. The end was beginning in truth.

Surely Kvar could see the same signs? She had been the man’s slave for more than two hundred years and still she did not truly understand him.

She knew he wanted power, but what good would power do him in a world covered in ice? He was after all a Fire Wizard. He had fought hard against the Dokkalfar during the last war. What had happened since.

What was he hiding from her?

So she stood guard. She had promised the girl she would protect her against any save Kvar. That Vilandra would surely do the same.

Unfortunately he was the one person she most needed protection from.

Not for the first time, Siyan fought against despair.

But she was still alive. And while she lived the chance existed that Kvar would slip up. That he would make some small mistake that would allow her revenge.

And to that long tally Siyan had added the lost innocence of a brave young Alfar woman.

She had all the time in the world. Kvar would make a mistake.

And Siyan would be waiting.

-----
Armstrong Base, Moon, Midgard

Alex tipped back the Champaign glass. Liz made excellent Champaign.

In fact buying gifts for her on her birthday was always well nigh impossible. If she wanted anything she could build it.

Well almost anything.

And that was Alex’s key for Liz’s birthday present. Alex always bought up templates. Often they were things Liz would never actually need. Like the template for a 1969 Mustang. Or a F-15 fighter. Some song lyric that she would never listen to.

Liz was obsessed with saving not only the human race physically, but socially and intellectually. In addition to keeping copies of all the templates that she already owned, including several national libraries, she also had made a cave nearby were she made hard copies of everything.

Alex wasn’t sure what kind of material she made those books out of, but they were nearly indestructible.

It was fun to watch others tackle the problem. Maria had given her some handcrafted jewelry. Kyle some strange Zen poetry or something.

But it was the gift from Max that Alex was waiting for. Maria had hinted that it would be special. That Alex would be able to partly understand Max and Michael by his gift.

So he watched as Max walked up to her, smiling toting his cane. Why did a man like Max carry a cane anyway?

----

Max lifted his glass to Liz. It was quite simply the best Champaign he’d ever had. That Liz was a wizard of sorts was no longer in doubt. Her magic was different than his, based as it was on her machines. But from his view, it was magic pure and simple.

Time to show her his own brand of magic.

This was going to be the greatest work of magic he had ever performed. Oh, he had healed before. It was one of his gifts. But to heal on such a scale….

Most wizards used old tried and true spells. At the very most the developed variations of the ancient magic. New magic was developed, but it was rare.

And in truth, Max by himself would never have been able to do something so vast. But Max had learned something working with the Stargazer.

The new technologies, the anti-gravity, the warp technology, the spin drives…. They all tapped the same reservoirs of power that wizards tapped.

Liz was a wizard as much as he, for she tapped into the fundamental forces of creation as much as he. She needed the devices on the Stargazer to focus her power much as he used his staff.

A Wizard’s Staff hidden in the form of a ornate cane.

He called for the powers that as an Alfar and a Fire Wizard were his to command. And waiting for this moment, waiting for the signal, the Stargazer began to fire up its spin drives.

Max would coordinate, but he would need a little help.

Max rose to propose a toast. “Liz I can’t help but feel that Fate has brought us together. To give us one more chance, here at the end of days to prove once more our love. For I do love you Elizabeth Parker, you and no one else. And so I toast you on the day of your birth, and wish you many more filled with the love and joy you deserve.”

Everyone present knew of Liz’s condition. Knew that she was dying and that little hope remained for her. And if any had noticed the sudden glimmer of hope on Maria’s face, well despite her pragmatism she often hoped for the best.

They all loved Liz and wanted Max to be correct. They all dutifully drank to his toast. But aside from the hopeful Maria, none expected what was to come.

Max remained standing and walked over to Liz’s chair.

Showtime.

-----

Liz watched as Max approached through one of the cameras. How she wished she could see his beautiful face in truth. Her heart had swollen with love at his comments even if they could not be. She would hold on as long as she could if only to remain in his loving presence.

But there was a small problem. A small pressure was building behind her eyes, near the implants that gave her access to the Stargazer. It had been years since she had gotten this level of feedback.

“Stargazer, status report. Why are your spin generators online? It is causing me a bit of feedback here.”

Stargazer did not answer at first.
------
Liz felt Max kiss her cheeks and grasp her hands. Surely he was not going to propose, he was still married!

“Elizabeth Parker, it is customary to receive gifts on the day of your birth. I know of your illness, I know how short you believe your time to be….”

Liz was partially listening to Max, listening to the warm voice like honey to her ears… But the feedback was starting to really bother her, her body was beginning to feel like she’d been touched by a live wire.

Power filled her. Power Max would need to heal her.
-------
“Stargazer, I am experiencing severe feedback, please reduce contact to a minimum and emergency override those damn generators!”

“I am sorry. I can not.”

“Can not? Why?” she screamed down her link to the Stargazer.

“Because I love you.”
------

“And so by my love for you and all that is holy I gift you Life and Light.” Max finished, beginning a chant in a foreign tongue.

-----

Alex, Kyle, and Jim moved to protect Liz. But the light was glaring.

Maria merely stared, tears streaming down her face in anticipation and hope.

Amy stood as well, but she stopped transfixed. Only she and her daughter among them truly believed in miracles. She believed she was witnessing one now.

And she would be right.

Michael remained stoic. He had been witness to many wondrous and horrific things. Either Max’s plan would work or it would not. He would deal with the world as it would be either way.

He stood ready.

-----

Liz felt a warmth flow from Max meet with the current that flowed through her. She could feel him pulse along with the power that flowed through her veins as the words he spoke resonated through her body.

She could fight him. She could stop whatever he was doing to her. For it would change her. Change her in fundamental ways that she could not fully comprehend.

Or she could trust him and let him do his work on her.

But Liz had never been one to stand on the side lines….

----

Max felt as the spell began to take effect. There had been a tiny part of him that had feared that Liz would resist him. That she would not give him the complete trust he needed to complete this spell.

But she had.

And more. He began to feel as she began to weave along with him. And so began a dance between them, a dance that would bind more them more than heart and body.

For he could feel that even as he changed her, she too was changing him.

Their souls began to join in a bond nigh unbreakable.

------

The light began to fade and cries of wonder began to ring out in the chamber.

For the first words from Liz’s mouth were, “I can see….”

------
Harrissteading, Antar, Alfheim

Vilandra finished getting the packing ready. They would be going on a long journey. Accompanying them was Signy. All three of them showed their disdain for Kvar, who simply ignored them.

Vilandra had talked briefly with Signy, apologized for her inability to help her. It had helped that Siyan had already talked to her, that she had healed the worst of Signy’s injuries.

For Signy had fought, had resisted. It had not been enough.

Vilandra sighed as she carried out yet another pack to place on one of the pack horses.

Siyan was just staring at the sky as heavy wet snow fell.

“What is it? What do you see?” Vilandra was surprised to see excitement in the Vaenir’s eyes.

“Something wonderful has happened. Something has changed.”

“Something good for a change?” Vilandra said bitterly.

“Yes. I think, I think the Children of Ask and Embla are preparing their revenge.”

“Midgard has already fallen.”

“The fire may have gone out, but embers still linger. And I think, I think a torch has been lit from those embers. For the first time in many years the stars speak of hope and not doom.”

Vilandra looked up at the heavy grey cloud that hung above them. Sure, she knew the stars lurked above come day or night. She had once worked at an Observatory in Midgard.

Her eyes closed in pain at the thought. For it was there that she had met Alex.

She felt a hand clasp her shoulder. She looked up to the bronze eyes of Siyan.

“Where there is life there is hope, my dear. I can not believe the darkness will swallow us forever. Hold on to yourself and you will see yourself through.”

“How long has Kivar held you?”

“More than two hundred years, so you may have a wait. But I can not believe that evil will truly prevail in the end. Even if in time we shall fall, so to will Kvar. So hold to hope and resist despair.”

She smiled at Siyan and would have replied but for the sudden pain and a loud click.

Sticking out of her chest, right about where her heart would have been, an arrow jutted out. Bright blood stained her blouse as the wound bleed freely.

“Die you traitorous bitch!” Said Harlin. He was a cousin by marriage, and not someone she had been over fond of. A smile lit his face as he saw the placement of his arrow.

Surely she would die now.

And so she would have. Her draug would have haunted him and his line until their extinction. But her heart was gone. And in its place was something much harder than mere flesh. The diamond that made the artifact that acted as her heart was undamaged.

And she could feel her rage begin to build. After all the people of this steading had done to her and all the help that should have been give to her and her cousin. For them to try to kill her?

It was too much.

Her hand strayed to Calatin at her waist. For in her hands it could do more than merely deflect spells. But she stayed her hand. For good or ill, these bastards were Kvar’s men.

And she could not destroy them without his permission.

Kvar had already mounted his horse and he stared at Harlin. “What manner of insanity is this?”

“She killed Harick She told Gudrun to take our women and leave. To turn us in to the King.”

“So you think they would listen to a mere householder over me? You fool, you have betrayed your only potential salvation. My girls would have destroyed you otherwise.”

“Hah, some Wizard you are, hiding behind a woman’s skirt.”

“So you believe my wife is harmless? Very well, Vilandra I release you to gain revenge against these nithlings.”

Vilandra’s heart pounded with anger and power. So much power. She drew Calatin and easily broke the bonds on the local vaettir.

They were happy to help her.

The blade glowed in the gloom like the sun on a bright day as she raised it above her head. “You fools and cowards, for your inactions, for your betrayal of custom and kinship. For your betrayal of the rights of hospitality to be given to the merest travel let alone kin. For your allowance of one who trusted you to suffer under the hands of a stranger…. For all this and more I declare you anathema and accursed. Go crawl to your hovels and hide you nithlings for your doom approaches. “ A beam of white light reached up into the clouds.

Angry sounds of thunder began to rumble above them.

Kvar looked at Vilandra with admiration. “If I had known you’d had such talent, I would have asked for your help long before this. We should leave.” He rode his horse off, one hand grasping on the lead strings of some of the pack ponies.

Siyan walked over, pulled the arrow from Vilandra’s chest, and placed an bandage to stem the flow of blood. “Come, he is right we should leave.”

Signy looked up. Red and green lightning began to move across the clouds. “But what did she do?”

“Nothing we want to stay and see.”

Vilandra numbly mounted her horse and followed them into the night.

And for miles around the snow turned to rain.

Save over Harrissteading. There the rain turned to fire.

It was on a hill top maybe five miles away that Kvar stopped. They all turned to see what Vilandra had wrought.

As she surveyed the bright flames that shrouded her mother’s home, flames that stopped promptly at the wardstones that marked the property… She said, “What have I done….”
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Sorcerer and the Stargazer (AU Teen) Part 9 - 10/31/08

Post by PML »

Natalie36- Sorry for the sad parts, they set up other scenes. I hope Liz's healing lightened it enough.

katydid- Kvar will face justice. It will take a while, but it will happen.

RhondaAnn- Sorry for the horrible parts, they set up further scenes. Funny how Max always seems to be there to heal Liz when she needs it....

Disclaimer- The characters of Roswell are not mine and no infringement is intended.

The Sorcerer and the Stargazer part 10

Alex sat there quietly sipping a glass of wine. It had been quite a celebration.

Max’s gift had been the highlight before.

Alex had grown up in a world where technology kept producing miracles, but the healing of Liz was well, miraculous for want of a better word. Oh, it would not have been impossible for Liz to have done what Max had done.

But she had spent the last few years helping him save mankind, rather than use her last years in an attempt to save her own life. Had the world not completely collapsed, had not so many scientists and researchers died, then maybe Liz would have been healed years ago.

Right.

Alex sighed. No what Max had done was a miracle. The only reason the technology that he and Liz used, that his group had pioneered was that very same disaster. Mankind had needed it. Otherwise Liz’s little nanofactories probably would have been highly restricted.

And both of them would have been forced into government service, probably forever. The military applications were obvious, so obvious that even with the Collapse they were still in use.

But given time and the right materials and templates, Liz could manufacture almost anything. It was why they had been so quiet about it in the early years. It would have crushed the old economy.

But he and Liz were on the cutting edge of technology now. The few others who pushed the boundaries shared with them for the most part. Why not? The general populace might not fully realize it, but currency was useless. A social habit that had not yet broken.

Max had used a cane to do what Liz and Alex had not been able to do with a ship full of miraculous machines.

Alex had kept quiet while the girls were still there. Oh, he was sure Liz would want to know. But he wanted Liz to just be happy for a while. The fact that she could truly see again….

Plus they had a wedding to plan.

Alex was already planning his wedding gift to the couple. But he needed to know how much time they had. He had already given his basic plans to Stargazer, who had sent down an automated cutter with robots to build the little love nest.

Nobody used that island anymore anyway.

But how long would Michael and Maria have for their honeymoon?

Alex walked over to where Michael and Max were quietly talking. “So. I think it is time you tell me who you really are. Or more to the point what you are.”

Michael looked to Max.

Max smiled, “I’ve been expecting this for a while now, since I boarded actually.”

Alex swirled the remaining wine in his glass, “I wanted to give Liz this day. I did not expect your gift. How did you do it anyway. I’ve been wracking my brain trying to figure it out, but short of magic, I can’t see a way.”

Michael rolled his head back and laughed.

Max gave his slightly inebriated friend a glare before turning back to Alex. “That is exactly what it was Captain. I am Max Evans, bastard child of King Zan of the Ljosalfar of Alfheim.”

Alex rocked back and finished his wine. He accessed Stargazer’s extensive library to find what Max was talking about. As the data poured back, Alex’s gaze became severe. “You seriously expect me to believe you are an Elf?”

“Technically half-elf, and a wizard as well. A Fire Wizard.” Max reached for his cane and once more produced fireworks and rose petals.

Alex looked at his wine. “I think I must have had a little too much to drink.”

Max smiled. “It is hard to believe I know. But we have long been fighting the same enemy. I remember you mentioning how you had been surprised at how wide spread the insanity at the higher levels of every government got at the beginning of the Collapse. How society seemed to tear itself to ribbons, with endemic crime. It is simple. You were cursed.”

“Cursed.” Alex sat down at the table. He could remember talking to Serena, saying that it seemed they were cursed. But he hadn’t really meant it. Curses did not exist in the real world…

“My people have an enemy, called the Dokkalfar. All too often you, the children of Ask and Embla have been instrumental in their failures. Add that lately you have become powerful and numerous, they decided to take steps. As near as I can tell, they accepted a treaty, a bad treaty with my people to free themselves up to strike at your world.”

“But why? If they have been fighting you guys, why would they hit us? I mean outside of fantasy literature and folklore I don‘t know that we knew of you guys. Elves of the Light verses Elves of the Dark? Come on.”

“As to why, well much of what I know is conjecture… But I think they asked for Jotnari aid. Your people are, whether you know it or not, the main source of troops for Ragnarok. And as I said your people have gotten frighteningly powerful so very fast. Just look at this structure that we are resting in. We are on the moon! Some of your weapons can reduce a city to glass in mere seconds. All this knowledge gained in what must seem to an old alfar as happening in seconds.”

“So what do your enemies get out of this?”

“Besides having your people out of the way? I don’t know. But I and a bunch of my friends have dedicated a portion of our lives trying to stop them.” Max slumped a little. “We have mostly failed.”

Data was still flowing into Alex’s implant. And one thing scared him. All too many of the prophecies concerning Midgard and Ragnarok had taken place. Too many. They were sixteen months into a never ending winter. The fact that their technology was keeping a portion of mankind alive was little consolation. Alex began to shake slightly. “So we are in Ragnarok now?”

“I think so. Midgard gets affected by this stuff first, so my people probably still have their heads in the sand. Loki isn’t free yet so it is still possible that we might be able to stop it.”

“Loki? The God of Fire? And Lies and Deceit?”

“Loki is no Aesir. Well maybe by marriage. He is Jotnari. And both the best friend and worst foe of the Gods. Why he did it will never be known, but he arranged for Balder to die. And for that he is trapped in a cave….”

“…With a poisonous serpent spilling venom on him. His wife catches most of it, but earthquakes are caused when she needs to empty her bucket. Seriously you can not believe that!”

“Whether it is literally true or not is not the issue, he is supposed to break free when a massive earthquake shakes all the worlds. It will tear the bonds of all the monsters that have been leashed over time. And it marks I guess, the point of no return. For it will give the Jotnari their best shot to take out the Gods. There is no way the Aesir would let creatures such as the Midgard Serpent or Fenrir just wander free. No Loki will lead the Jotnari to victory over the Aesir. The Sons of Muspell will lead an assault on the Bifrost bridge. Loki and Heimdall will kill each other. The Rime Giants will arrive by sea, and, and, they will win.”

“The Gods die. Finis”

“Yes, but their victory is pyrrhic. Sure they win the war, but most of them die. And the remaining Gods end up ruling Asgard with evil vanquished.”

“How nice. All of us will be dead, but some of the big guys live on. My heart bleeds. I haven’t spent my life trying to save my race only to be told I am destined to fail. You obviously want me for something. I thought you were aliens or something. But Liz really did get a copy of both of your DNA’s, and they seem human. There is some different junk DNA than normal, but well, some variation is to be expected. So just tell me what you want and I’ll drop you off when I tell you no.”

“Captain, no Alex, take a serious look at your world and tell me that everything will be okay. Things are bad and they are due to get worse.”

Michael finally spoke up. “Trolls, man. Your world is crawling with trolls. I think the Dokkalfar were holding them back somehow, to keep you folks from thinking you were being invaded. That your problems were from an outside source.” Michael shook his head. “They are scavengers, and well if they can they will attack those they judge weak. Some of those missing people, you know the ones that folks think might have offed themselves. Well they probably are dead alright. They could not be found because they were eaten. Ask Maria, she ran into some down in Mexico. They’re one of the reasons her people fled to Monterey.”

Max reached out his hand and placed it on Alex’s wrist. “I know this is hard. I have been fighting hard to stop it. But too many of my people were tired of war. We aren’t a warlike people like you humans.”

Alex just glared at Max.

Michael looked at Max briefly before glancing back at Alex. “Look, man, I would do anything for Maria. And I’m half human, both of us are. Your people are mine, too. I don’t have Max’s fancy education, but I have fought against the Dark for a long time. And I have read up on you. I know that you have done the same. We are part of the same war. Maria, too. But we are losing, and only by working together do we have a chance. It is a shitty chance, but it is a chance. Max can give you the details, but man, was I shocked when we jumped the first time. Because, Captain, your jump engines feel the same as walking through a gate to one of the other worlds. We need your ship to try to stop this whole damn mess before it gets more of us killed. Before the war starts in earnest and all the worlds get trashed.”

Alex sighed and looked down at the table. “Gentlemen, if you will follow me.” He started to walk towards what appeared to be a blank wall, when General Valenti stopped him.

“Alex are you sure they can be trusted?”

Both Max and Michael stared at the old man, who had supposedly gone to bed hours before.

“Yes. How much did you listen in to.”

“All of it. You can not seriously mean you believe that crap.”

“How do you explain Liz, Jim? And there have been creature sightings, even near Roswell. Denver’s old subways are supposed to be haunted now. Maybe they are right and it is trolls. You are married to Amy, you know how bad Earth’s biosphere has been damaged. There has even been a dip in the O2 percentage. I don’t know how serious their threat of Ragnarok is, but they are due to be family. Michael will be marrying your step-daughter tomorrow. They should know. Besides, wouldn’t you rather lead Maria down the aisle down in Arcadia than on the Stargazer?”

“Arcadia?” Max asked.

Jim sighed, “Well if Alex is so certain you can be trusted. Follow me.” A hidden door swung open leading to a large elevator.

All four men descended in silence. They exited the elevator and entered an airlock. The gravity seemed to increase with each step. On the other side was guard station manned by several people and a small horde of robots.

“Stand down, gentlemen.” General Valenti said. The humans gave a salute to both Alex and the General. “How is everything down here.”

“Quiet, sir. The kids are all still asleep. Is Faith coming back tonight or is she going to sleep topside?”

Alex spoke up, “I was going to spend a little more time with her after we show these men Arcadia.”

“Yes, Captain. Are the reports right? Is Liz really better?”

“She is better, her sight is restored and she will visit tomorrow. Get Dawn up here, we have a wedding to plan.”

One of the men grinned and walked over to a combank.

“Max, Michael, come here and see a sight that only a few dozen alive have ever seen.” Alex walked over to a large door. It whooshed open to reveal what appeared to be a large valley, its far end over the horizon. A sweet heady perfume of live flowers wafted through the door.

Max walked over and stared, jaw completely dropped.

The valley was full of life. Trees, grass, and the tinkling of fountains….

“Behold Arcadia, the last redoubt of Mankind.”

Michael walked over, “Thor’s Hammer….” he said in shock.

-----
On board the Stargazer, Moon, Midgard

Liz and Maria were designing Maria’s wedding gown while Amy paced the CIC that Liz lived in.

“Isn’t this a little Spartan Liz?”

Liz looked up and smiled at Amy, “Well I’ve been a little busy to be concerned about redecorating. Plus, despite the fact I have been using these as my private rooms this is still the Combat Information Center. It just feels wrong to put up flower paintings, you know.”

“Hmmph.”

“Hey, focus Liz. What do you think about this one?” The gown was a layered fantasy of fine silk.

“It’s pretty, but don’t you think it’ll be a pain to get on and remove.”

“Hey I only get married once.”

Liz felt a pulse in her inner ear. It was Alex. “Yes Captain.”

“Make sure Maria doesn’t go nuts. It’ll be warm here in Arcadia.”

“What, we’re holding the wedding in Arcadia?”

“Yep, so get those bots busy. We’ll need to feed an additional fifteen adults and apparently twenty-seven little toddlers.”

Liz looked up at Amy, “You’ve been busy. We’re holding the ceremony in Arcadia.”

Amy nodded and turned to Maria, “You are going to want lighter fabrics. It is summer there.”

“Arcadia?”

“What we have been fighting for all these years. That and the desire to bring it back to the Earth as well….”

-----
Hecatan Badlands, Nidavellir

Sleeping was difficult for Vilandra. The clicking and chiming of her new heart still distracted her. It was easy to ignore when she was awake, but when she calmed herself to sleep…

She was so very tired.

Kvar had left the women alone. She had at his command slept with him once, but then she was still his wife.

He left Signy alone. And the girl was starting to rally, her spirits beginning to return. She had lost so much. Her home, her father, her innocence. How Vilandra had wished she could have saved her all the pain.

Worse she knew that something horrible awaited the girl at the end of their trip. Siyan knew it too. But neither of them could gainsay Kvar. And Signy was too young.

So they trained her as much as they could. Both of them taught her sword craft. Siyan taught her the basics of survival and the rudiments of her people’s Earth Magic.

Which was fascinating to Vilandra. It gave her fresh insights to her own knowledge.

Vilandra taught her what magic she could.

If only they had more time….

And Vilandra began to dream. Troubled dreams of a giant metallic golem attacking a tower of bone…. Of a star springing forth from a mountain that was also a giant…. Of a small woman wreathed in power and lightning raining fire on an army of the dead….

Finally she dreamt of Alex on a ship crewed by the virtuous dead. At his side was the golem. And piloting the boat was the woman wreathed in lightning.

And over and over again, Alex said, “I am coming, my love. Wait for me, I am coming.”

Vilandra woke in a sweat.

She had been told once that he dreams had power. That from time to time she could see what was to be, or what may be, or what should be.

She had never had time to pursue the knowledge to control that gift.

It was too close to what was deemed woman’s magic. And she had never liked to be type cast, not even on Alfheim.

Maybe she should have. Maybe she would understand what she was being told.

But Alex was dead. They had told her….But then those who had told her had been Kvar’s men.

And Kvar had been wooing her. It would have been in his interest to make her think that. And so many humans had died.

She remembered again that dream where she had slept with Alex. Maybe in her fear, in her despair she had tapped into those latent gifts and visited him.

And now he was coming for her. Coming for a woman who for all intents and purposes no longer existed.

Vilandra stared up at the foreign stars of Nidavellir for a long time before sleep returned for her.

-----
Stormhold, Hecatan Badlands, Nidavellir.

Tess toweled herself off after her luxurious shower. Funny the things the dwarves had copied from the humans.

They scoffed at human metal working and smith craft. But modern plumbing? They loved it.

Things had been vastly different that what she had expected when her father had spirited her away. She had not expected to find a new purpose.

Or a new teacher. The Ritual had given her an affinity for the old Earth Magic, but there were few masters of it left. The Rhbus that so many of the Ljosalfar had all but worshipped had been among them. Even as the Ljosalfar followed the Fire Wizard’s guidance more and more.

Even her husband was fully convinced of the superiority of Fire Magic.

Tess wasn’t so sure. Sure Fire Magic was flashier, and maybe a better tool in a quick fight. But there was more to fighting evil than a quick blast of fire.

And she was learning it.

She dressed, getting ready for her evening lesson.

Both her father and Magister Jacen were waiting for her. Magister Jacen looked grim but pleased. Her father looked worried.

She bowed to both of them as she entered.

Master Jacen spoke first. “Tess, you have surprised me with how fast you have learned what I have to teach you. While there is much that you have yet to learn, you have learned what you can master now. I have instead a task to put before you, one that will hopefully lead to our destruction of the Tower.”

Her father, walked up to her and gave her a hug. “It will be dangerous dear. And I would go if I could, but I fear they would sense my movements.”

Tess nodded. Ice Wizardry wasn’t quite as flashy as Fire Wizardry, but it wasn’t that hard to spot if you were looking for it. And you’d be a fool not to on Nidavellir.

Her father pushed back to get a good view of his daughter. “You have no idea how proud I am of you. I have a gift for you. It has been in our family for generations. Um, most of us haven’t found too much use for it. But it is an heirloom and no one ever got around to getting rid of it. Good for us now I think.” He handed her a long sheathed dagger.

She took it and backed up a couple of steps and drew the blade. It glittered and gleamed with eldritch energy. It was a dwarves blade, she could see the runes stamped along the blade. She grinned as she read them.

Most of her family hadn’t used the dagger, because it would have been painful for them to use. It was heavily warded against Draugar. Useful even to a Dokkalfar, but it warded also against necromancy….

And while most Dokkalfar never dabbled in the makings of the undead, most still dabbled in necromancy. It was always too tempting not to ask the dead of the future, or some knowledge lost to the living….

Unless of course you had undergone the Ritual, closing that door to you. Unless you wanted to go back hiding from the sun.

“Thank you.” She gave him a kiss on the cheek.

Magister Jacen stood there quietly watching father and daughter. When the moment had passed he cleared his throat. “I have a gift for you as well. May it serve you well.” He handed her a box, wherein a cloak of finely woven gold lay.

She draped it across her shoulders. “Thank you. It is beautiful.”

Magister Jacen smiled, “It is more than that. It is a Tarnkappe.”

Tess looked up at him with wondering eyes as she looked at the shiny cape.

Magister Jacen nodded and smiled.

It was a wondrous gift indeed. For one of the gifts the Tarnkappe could grant was invisibility…

“So about this mission….”
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Sorcerer and the Stargazer (AU Teen) Part 10 - 11/06/08

Post by PML »

Thanks to all reading this story.

Flamehair- Thanks

RhondaAnn- Alex did grow up in Roswell...

Vilandra was always told her dreams had power, but she did not find it exciting and so did not practice it. But she is desperate and reaching out to anyone who can comfort her.... And now that Alex knows that she is not dead, well he has no intention of letting her get away from him this time.

Both Tess and Kyle have important pieces to play in upcoming parts. The cloak she was given is very useful, and not just for invisibility.

In this story Dwarves are master craftsmen. But humans are tinkerers. Humans would think of something like it first due in part to demographics. There really were never enough Dwarves living together to force them to come up with similar solution.

Disclaimer- The characters of Roswell are not mine and no infringement is intended.

The Sorcerer and the Stargazer part 11

North American Defense Command, Denver, Midgard

Councilor Crosslin rubbed his balding head thoughtfully, “So Lieutenant, these illustrious gentlemen thought it imperative that you told me your story in person.”

Lieutenant Martinez nodded. “Yes, sir. My team and I had recently rejoined the Denver area pool…”

“Where were you allocated before?”

“I was the Marine commander aboard the Stargazer, sir.”

“Captain Whitman’s ship.”

“Yes, sir.”

“I may need to speak with you about Captain Whitman later, but carry on with your story.”

“Yes, sir. Apparently there have been a rash of disappearances in Denver. The local authorities asked for backup, and we were eager and ready sir. We’d run into bandits and the like out in the countryside, but what we found… Sir, it wasn’t human.” Lieutenant Martinez paused a moment, turned to one of the Generals, “If I may, sir?”

The General nodded.

Martinez activated a device in his hand and an image was projected on a whiteboard at the end of the room. The creature looked almost human, perhaps a little smaller. The jaw was heavier, and the open mouth sported more teeth than any human could boast. Its skin was grayish and it sported a long thin tail.

Councilor Crosslin looked over at one of the gathered military personnel, “Bio-weapons? Could the Chinese or the Euros whip up something like this?”

One of the men shook his head, “Sir it is possible, but not likely. We have run tests, and while it is very similar to terrestrial primates, there are some differences. Genetic differences, not just the obvious somatic ones. It could have conceivably developed on Earth, but sir, there is no reason why anyone would develop a primitive creature like this. They are strong and, but let me let the Lieutenant finish.”

Martinez continued, “General Harper is correct, they are frighteningly strong. If we weren’t equipped with Parker specials we might not have made it. They ambushed us, sir. We were in the tunnels, and we had our sensors on, but they had to have some way to fox them.” He shook his head, “We looked at the tapes, and one moment they weren’t there, and the next we were surrounded. Once the fight commenced it was quick. Their stone tipped spears and maces were no match for our firepower.”

Councilor Crosslin nodded. “Did you find out what happened to the missing people.”

Martinez looked at Crosslin with weary eyes, “Yes, sir. Those creatures were eating them, sir.”

-----
Cylendia Hall, Dokkhiem, Nidavellir

Mira Cylendia adjusted her wolf headdress for the millionth time and looked at herself in the mirror. Her scarlet and black wolf fur lined cloak covered her travel leathers.

She was twenty-five, the first in many milestones to adulthood as a Dokkalfar. She was in charge of herself now. No longer her parents child, now a member of the powerful Cylendia Clan.

Why didn’t she feel any different?

Her friends would be by later to pick her up. Hradis had a gift for her birthday, a surprise that required a couple of days travel.

Hradis and Bronwyn had been her friends since childhood, but over the last few years, Mira had felt a bit of strain… Part of that was their choice of Society. Both of them were Owls, and she had chosen Wolf.

Mira had enough problems mastering some of the darker magic that the Wolves used. She had no desire to become one of the Owls.

Necromancy just felt wrong.

She knew they would try to persuade her again to change. The Owls were more prestigious, and some of her Clan had questioned her choice as well. She had the talent, and what is good for the Clan….

Mira stared into the mirror and sought to see who she truly was. Mirrors were after all immune to illusion.

Should she stay true to who she thought she was or give in to the will of Society?

There was that tiny part of her that just wanted to give in, to give in not only to the social pressure, but also to the siren call of power.

The voices of her ancestors told her to give in, to do what needed to be done. The only safety lay in being the most powerful and most wealthy. Allowing her weaker emotions to cripple her ability to do the dirty necessary things was simply stupid.

And yet….

There was a feeling, a tiny whisper from the distant past that told her that wrong. That evil must be resisted. That she was not evil.

Not yet.

Mira stared at her image for a long time.

------
Outskirts of the Tower of Bones, Hecatan Wastelands, Nidavellir

Vilandra wept as Kvar, Siyan, and Signy left her with the baggage and traveled the pathway to the Tower. Now she knew what would happen to her cousin. She would become a thrall to a band of necromancers.

Who could know what horrible fate now truly awaited Signy. Would she or her soul ever leave that dreadful tower?

How she wished she could strike at Kvar!

She could feel the rage radiate off of Siyan, but she too was helpless.

For not only could they not help Signy they would have to help Kvar recapture her. Maybe if Vilandra had had a few more years to teach her, she might have been able to give Signy some tools to escape them.

Then again, her own escape had not worked too well.

There were other travelers headed to the tower. Some passed not far from her position. But she was not to challenge them unless they challenged her.

So far only one foolish Dokkalfar sorcerer had tried to steal something from camp.

Vilandra had burnt his remains. There would be no Draugar from him.

Even the rampant trolls avoided her. Probably from the clean sunshine that radiated from Calatin.

Which is why Vilandra was surprised when she heard someone knocking around the camp. She stood up and drew Calatin. She felt as the light from the blade tore apart a powerful illusion.

There was a familiar startled woman in a golden cloak just staring at her. She looked like…. No that was impossible….

The short blonde spoke, “Isabel, is that you?”

“Tess? What are you doing here?”

“I could ask the same of you. I never thought you would have anything to do with such, such vileness.”

Vilandra sighed and sheathed Calatin. Tess immediately faded from sight, only to return to view. Tess looked at the taller woman with barely concealed shock and disdain.

Vilandra looked away. “I don’t have a choice, Tess.”

“All of us are granted free-will Isabel, or should I call you Vilandra now?”

Vilandra’s voice was soft and filled with sorrow. “Please, call me Isabel. I need to remember that I was once free.”

Tess paused a moment, something was wrong with Isabel. She used her powers to scry her friend. And found that she was empty. A living puppet with no soul. “Isabel…. What happened to you?” There was a faint link off towards the Tower. “Did the denizens of the Tower get to you?”

Vilandra’s laugh was harsh, “It was my husband. He stole my soul, Tess. He tore my beating heart from my body and replaced it. I am damned.”

Tess just looked at her. The older girl had always been bold, been strong, had seemed indestructible. But now…. Now she seemed broken and bereft. “Let me look at you.”

Tess had been a nurse in Germany for many years. She knew many things to look for. Her pulse was strong, her reflexes phenomenal. But the one time she listen to Isabel’s heart….

It was not a human heart beat at all.

In Midgard she would be called a cyber. A normal organic process replaced by an artificial one to allow normal or sometimes improved functionality. But Kvar was no cyberneticist. He was a wizard.

Isabel was not technically alive anymore.

She was a construct.

“Oh, Isabel, I am so sorry. I will do what I can for you.”

Vilandra shrugged, “There is no point. I merely am waiting for Kvar to screw up so I can kill him or make him suffer.” She sighed, “If you want to help me, you could rescue my cousin. Kvar took her to the Tower. I think he means to leave her there.”

Tess said quietly, “There is an oracle there that accepts payment in children.” She looked up at the Tower. “I will do what I can. I am scouting out the Tower. Supposedly my father and my husband are going to come up with a way to destroy it.”

Vilandra looked at her tears no tracking down her impassive face, “If you see Max, tell him to just forget me. To mourn me. He can’t stand up to Kvar. I would have to fight him.” She looked down for a moment. “And if ever you come across a man named Alex Whitman tell him the same. Tell him I am dead. That Isabel Ramirez can not be recovered.” Her voice was hoarse with pain, “That he should move on.”

Tess nodded. She doubted that either Max, nor this Alex guy would ever give up on Isabel.

Tess didn’t plan to.

-----
Tower of Bones, Hecatan Wastelands, Nidavellir

Signy was frightened. Ever since she had lifted up Calatin in defense of Isabel it was like a veil had been parted. The training she had received from Siyan and Isabel had only strengthen it.

She could sense the feeling of wilderness that lurked under Siyan’s fluid motion, the bright if now subdued Alfar radiance of Isabel, and the dangerous wildfire aura that Kvar put off.

Places had auras too. Inside this Tower there was a black fire that fed off of the souls therein.

And it was hungry, always hungry.

And it wanted her. She could feel it…taste her. Feel it savor her fear, revel in her hate for Kvar.

Kvar moved forward up to the gatehouse and talked to the Dokkalfar guard. A guard that carefully stood out of even the weak Nidavellir sun.

Siyan turned to her. “So this is to be your fate. I would that I could save you, for I have not had the pleasure of training one such as you since I myself was captured. You remind me of my nieces.”

Signy could not help it, “I’m so scared, Siyan. It…it calls to me. And it is so hungry…”

Siyan looked away, “One day Kvar will pay for his crimes. And I pray that on that day, we or our shades shall witness it. Honestly it pains me that I can do so little for you. But this much I can do. Signy Sarynsdottir receive my blessing.”

Signy felt Siyan’s right hand touch her shoulder and felt a sudden burst of vitality and energy surge through her. It was not quite magical energy, not in the sense that Isabel had trained her. It wasn’t something she could use directly.

But it infused her and filled her up.

She could almost feel herself growing. She looked up at the now exhausted Siyan. “What?”

“I should have done that before. Or maybe not. Maybe I have just made you a tastier snack. I just, I just don’t like to not be able to help.”

“Thank you, Siyan. If I can, if it is possible, I will do what I can for you.” Signy giggled a little hysterically, “Unlikely as it seems.” She gave the bronze skinned woman a hug.

Kvar returned, “Both of you come with me. We need to see the Oracle.”

They followed Kvar as he walked through the gate and began to descend down a flight of stairs.

A cold mist seemded to grow thicker as they descended. It seeped deep into the bones and made them ache.

They were close now, close to the source of the flame.

They came to a well appointed room. Its opulence surprising after the stairwell. Only it reeked of evil and the frigid dark. A tall majestic woman sat at a desk.

She looked them over. And in her eyes, Signy could see an emptiness devoid of peace and love. Forever in torment and wishing others to join her. Radiating from her was neither the clean glow of the Ljosalfar, nor the icy gloom of the Dokkalfar. It was ancient and evil and so very cold.

Jotnari. She was a frost giant.

“Kvar. It is good to see you again. You wish to see the Oracle again?”

“Yes Tedori, if it pleases you and your mistress. I have brought a gift. A young Ljosa of some talent.”

Tedori met Signy’s eyes once more, “Yes, yes, it is a worthy gift. A thread plucked from the Light. And with her we shall tie another firmly to the Dark. Yes, you have done well. We will grant you honors and gifts at your departure. And if you desire, you may go to the High Chambers and Feed on any save this young Ljosa.”

Kvar looked in askance at Signy, trying to figure out why she was worth so much. He shrugged and said, “I will consider your kind offer, but now I wish to speak with your mistress.”

Tedori waved over at one of the shadows and a troll scurried out and led Kvar and Siyan away. As soon as they left she walked over to where Signy valiantly held her place.

Signy would not back down to this evil giant. The jotnari reached out and held her chin. Despite the chill that radiated from her hand was warm.

“The fool is a better servant than he knows. You child, were one of the Ljosa that were supposed to survive Ragnarok and help revive your race. Now when Surt reduces your world to a cinder your pathetic race is one step closer to oblivion. Now if only we can find where mankind hides we can be free of you vermin after the war.” She pushed her away. “Take her to the High Pantry, I will inform the cooks who shall have the right to dine on her.” Her eyes bit into Signy’s, “Yes she shall sup on you blood, flesh, and soul and be tied to us forever…. Take her away.”

-----
On board the Stargazer, Somewhere over the Pacific Ocean, Midgard

Liz flitted through the pictures of the little toddlers rampaging through the bridal party. Arcadia was beautiful, more so now that she could see it with her own eyes.

The sight of Maria and Michael hand in hand at the altar, Alex presiding. And Max must have done something to her eyes when he fixed them. For she could see a glow from the rings slowly encompass them as they swore eternal allegiance to each other.

Five days ago they had sent the two newly weds off the ship on a cutter to a small tropical island. The world might be wrapped in winter, but the tropics were still warm. Just not as warm as they had been.

One week might not be the longest of honeymoons, but they did have some time constraints. It was good to see her friend happy.

She herself was happy. For the first time in seven years she was healthy. Max had fixed her.

And more.

She was aware of him now. Alex had commented on it, that she would get a sudden smile, turn and watch as he would walk into the room.

And it was true. Embarrassing but true, there was countless camera footage. She could watch it at several angles. At a little over twenty seven feet she could sense him and react. She was tempted to hold an experiment to see whether she reacted the same if he was walking down a corridor below or above her. Would her reaction be the same?

But while she was tempted, it was much too embarrassing. Well she could probably set the Stargazer to observe the effect.

“So Lizzie, how are we coming along with the Jump software changes?” Alex asked, a slight knowing smile on his face.

“Uh, um, I’m finished, Captain. We can test jump at any time.”

“Okay, call up Max and have him meet us at the Bridge.”

“What about Kyle?”

Alex shook his head, “He is still working out combat sims if we run into anything.”

“We should have air superiority.”

“Maybe, but you know Kyle….”

“Yeah,” Liz buzzed Max, “Hey, Max, we need you on the bridge. We are going to test Jump.” She turned to Alex. “Should I prep the satellites? I mean if we are there it will give them time to set.”

“Good idea, Liz.”

Both Alex and Liz were busy getting prepped for Jump. Max sprinted to the Bridge.

Liz couldn’t help it, she had to turn and watch as he walked through the door. Data was still flashing behind her eyes, she was still managing countless other items. But a tiny part of her was watching him walk through the door.

And saying deep within her, MINE!

Of course, he was still married to another woman. One step at a time.

Max smiled at Liz, “What is this about a Jump? I thought we were going to pick up Maria and Michael first.”

Liz said, “I am running ahead of schedule. This way we will know if we can do it. Plus it will give me the opportunity to collect some data and launch satellites.”

“Launch satellites?”

“Just the basics. Com. Weather. GPS. Nothing major. Oh, and with a little tweaking we should be able to give you some good maps.”

“Maps.” Max walked over and sat down next to her, a shocked look on his face.

“Is something wrong?”

“No, I just didn’t think everything through. I never thought of satellites and maps. I mean, there aren’t radios there. How will we find anything? How will I find home from the air? It’s not like we anything like this ship.”

Liz smiled, “It will be okay, Max. We will stop this.”

Max smiled back.

Alex looked over and rolled his eyes. “All right you two. Enough for now, both of you strap in. Lizzie, I am reading ready for Jump.”

“It is green across the board, Captain.”

“Alright let’s do this. Give warning and Jump, Liz.”

Liz just smiled as a warning rang through the ship.

And it jumped.

-----
All across Nidavellir

Dokkalfar are obsessed with the future. Every form of divination known to man and many not are used by the Dokkalfar on even the most trivial issues.

Needless to say Astrology has evolved to near religious status amongst many. Add in the fact that most Dokkalfar are active during the night and you have a lot of people watching the sky.

So it should be no surprise that there were those who noted some small glimmering lights that had joined in the sky. They were neither stars nor planets, and there were many astrologers who spent many a night pondering what those weak sky lights were.

None had a better view of what was going on than the primitive settlers on the Istandal Archipelago. For it was there a long splinter of metal floating in the sky like wood on water exited a cloud bank and vomited more than forty glowing orbs into the sky before vanishing once more into a cloud bank.

But even if some intrepid adventurer had managed to find the Archipelago, survived the diseases and the violent locals…. Would any truly believe such a story?

-----
Over the Boreal Ocean, Alfheim

Things were much calmer on Alfheim. Oh, Astrology was almost as popular, being as it was a form of divination without causing much harm to the subjects. But over the entire planet a blanket of clouds had formed.

Sure many could see that something was horribly wrong in the Northern Hemisphere, where summer had been cut short. But few understood its true scale.

Liz would. She would be the first to see the satellite imagery. World-wide blizzard conditions.

Impossible of course.

Unless magic was involved.

And Max had taught her to believe…

-----
Nameless tropical island, Central Pacific, Midgard

Maria lay there baking in the afternoon sun. From time to time she would check her cell phone in between watching her husband’s sword practice. She would need to seriously consider some target practice herself later.

Particularly considering the newest toy Liz had made for her. She patted the gun next to her. Mexico after the Collapse had taught her to always keep a weapon at hand.

It was one of the reasons she was still alive.

Michael was the same way. Hence his sword practice. Of course watching his muscles ripple as he went through his sword forms was another reason for her watching him. And her phone was quite capable of taking high resolution pictures.

But she wasn’t just using the camera function on her phone. From time to time she would contact the Stargazer. Some of it was texting her brother.

But much of it was just waiting.

And her waiting was not in vain.

For the Stargazer was gone. Sure it was possible Liz was conducting some deep space operations. She knew Liz however.

Liz always set her plans realistically and conservatively. As a result she usually finished everything early. Say like calibrating the Jump engines for a cross world Jump.

And she would want Maria and Michael to relax and not worry. But at the same time she would be anxious to try out her new calculations. Alex would think much the same thing.

They had made their first Jump. Whether it was to Nidavellir or Alfheim she wasn’t sure. They’d be there for a little bit.

Liz had a love of satellites, so likely she’d fire some of them off.

Michael and Maria had been dropped off by cutter because Liz was picking up some older satellites that needed repair….

Yeah, Liz had a thing for satellites. Actually, it was more a space thing, and satellites were part of it.

The Stargazer had originally been built for exploration. Lizzie was going to get some exploring done on these other worlds even if wasn’t why she was there.

Forty -five minutes the Stargazer returned.

Twenty-five minutes later it was gone.

Of course by this time her husband was laying beside her. He was a bit of a distraction on her worrying. A very pleasant distraction.

She had another forty-five minutes before Liz was likely going to be back for a tongue lashing. Alex too. Heck, she’d probably through in Max and Kyle. They should have at least let her know.

That way she could be officially worried and not speculatively worried.

She set down her phone. She could think of a way to keep her mind occupied for at least forty-five minutes.

Her kisses were eagerly returned.

It wasn’t until the next morning she remembered to check on the Stargazer.

It was still gone.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Sorcerer and the Stargazer (AU Teen) Part 11 - 11/14/08

Post by PML »

Thanks to all those reading this story.

begonia9508- Thanks

RhondaAnn- Yes, and that information will get back to the rest of them fairly quickly.

Katydid- Thanks

Disclaimer- The characters of Roswell are not mine and no infringement is intended. The plot and the extras are mine. Sort of.

The Sorcerer and the Stargazer part 12

Tower of Bones, Hecatan Wastelands, Nidavellir

Tess crept quietly up the stairwell. It was a servants passageway, so she mostly had to avoid the trolls. Some had scented her, but most left her alone. The Tarnkappe confused them, made her seem to be not there to their fragile minds.

She’d only had to kill one so far.

What worried her more were the Dokkalfar and Draugar. Most of the Draugar were outside doing manual labor, but some were aiding the Necromancers of the Tower. Helping to build an immense army.

They had been right to send her.

Part of her told her that she knew enough. That a quick promise to try to save Signy was too thin a reason to risk her life and the information she now carried.

The Tower stood at a junction of Gates. One to Midgard. One to Alfheim. And one to some other location. The first two Gates were busy, but the last had not been used while she had watched.

She had stretched her powers trying to see where it went and she was afraid she might know. The feeling was of great heat. Of a never ending desert broken only by a massive city of brass.

Muspell. She was afraid it led to Muspell.

The world of the Fire Giants.

In truth she had come across several beings she knew to be alive and yet none of the races she knew.

Jotnari. The Tower was crawling with Jotnari.

How foolish could the Council be to allow them a foothold on their world?

The necromantic excess that the Tower reeked of was bad enough. She had felt it poison the world before her training…. Now she could feel it slowly kill their world. Sucking the life out of not only the denizens but also the surrounding countryside.

When she had been a child growing up in Dokkheim she had heard about failing crops, sickness among the cattle, and reduced fertility.

How long had this Tower been here? The part above the surface was new, the bone paved roadway, etc. But was it the Oracle that was poisoning their world?

How badly did the Council want to win against the Ljosalfar?

Tess shook her head. Now was not the time. She needed to find the girl and find a way out of here.

The passage way she was in ended in what could only be termed a abattoir. But here they were processing people. Humans.

How many of those who had gone missing had ended up here?

Was the girl even alive?

Tess took out a pendulum and searched for the girl. As it began tracking, Tess let out a sigh of relief.

The girl was alive.

She would have to travel the main hallways now, though. She would have to be careful. She stopped a moment and used another priceless talent given her by the Tarnkappe.

The ability to walk the worlds.

She was really only familiar with three of them, Nidavellir, Midgard, and Alfheim. In theory she should be able to travel to the others. In practice she did not know how those worlds felt and so could not really sense them.

If she had hung around the Gate that she thought led to Muspell she could probably go there. But why would she want to?

On Alfheim she would be high in the air where she was. But in Midgard she would be in what appeared to be an abandoned high rise building.

It gave her a place to run to.

But there was a presence in the Tower. A vast presence that even now was looking for her, uncertain perhaps that a trespasser was indeed amongst them.

Tess knew it would be able to keep her from entering the Tower directly from Midgard, so her escape would be one way. But all she needed was to grab the girl and drag her with her to Midgard. It might take her a little longer to get to her father, but in truth this was likely the safest way to get back anyway.

She only wished she knew what city the building was in.

Well she would deal with that when she had to.

She crept down the hallway avoiding everyone she could. But one severely uncoordinated draug bumped into her.

Her cloak could hide her in many ways, but physical contact could break the effect, if only temporarily.

There was a brief pause while she and the undead creature stared at each other in shock. It prepared a howl while she drew her dagger and with a single stoke killed it.

She stared in awe as the burning embers of the draug drifted to the ground.

Unfortunately she had an audience.

She looked up at the sorrowful eyes of Nicholas.

Nicholas looked at her and said, “I know I told you to pick a side, but why did you choose the one destined to fail? How could you betray your people?”

“Nicholas! How can you be involved in this? There are limits, Nicholas. Sometimes the price for power is too high.”

“I am loyal to the Council, Ava. Loyal to my people. Our enemies pushed us back to this dying world, but this time…”

“This time what? You have started Ragnarok! It is the end of the world, how do you think things will go!”

“After we win, we have been promised Midgard and Alfheim.”

“You trust the Jotnari? You poor fool…”

Nicholas stiffened. “I’m sorry, Ava. I’ve always loved you and I hoped it would never come to this….”

“My name is Tess.”

He raised his hand and a torrent of sickly green light streaked at her, coating where she had been with a layer of ice.

But she was gone.

Escaped.

Nicholas shook his head. “This isn’t over… Tess.” He left to warn his superiors.

An enemy agent had infiltrated the tower.

------
Signy startled at the racket and the sounds of horns that blared from outside the Tower.

She wished she could see outside, but the windows were high and inaccessible. They were meant solely for ventilation and were made so that no sunlight would ever pour through.

She was not alone, surrounded by people. People who although they looked like her were not like her. They had a different feel…. A scent of blood and iron, the feel of ozone before a lighting strike.

She was surrounded by humans. Midgarders. A race so violent that they destroyed themselves in bloodlust. Or so the stories told. They spoke of impossible wonders and horrors.

Most of them avoided her. But there was one boy who stared at her, sometimes shaking his head and muttering in some strange human tongue.

She spent most of the day alone, watching as the humans went about their business in the cell. A few of them were taken away.

They did not return.

The food, which she had expected to be horrible, was actually quite good. It was filling and there was a sweetness to it….

The boy walked over, “It seasons our flesh, I think. Your people don’t like how we taste when we first get here.”

Signy glared at him. His speech was slow and a little archaic, but she could understand him. “They are not my people.”

But you are an Elf?”

“Ljosalfar.”

He muttered a few moments. “Elf of the Light?”

Signy nodded. He was obviously strange, but somehow he made her feel a little less alone.

He nodded back at her and thrust out his hand. “I am Ivan Sergeivitch Matinov, I bid you remember me. We are arrows of Destiny, you and I. We should stick together in our last days.”

Sure he was strange. And a human.

But she was scared. And she would have someone to talk to.

So she nodded.

-----
Nameless tropical island, Central Pacific, Midgard.

Maria stared at the stars. She felt the warmth of Michael beside her, but still she felt a little cold.

They had been gone for two days.

What if something had happened to them?

She glanced at the full moon. It was always strange to think her mother lived there now. Lived their in that wondrous valley hidden deep in the lunar rock.

A valley her children would roam. Children she would likely never know.

She looked over at Michael. He was staring at the stars as well.

“They’ve been gone for two days, do you think they are okay?”

“Maria, we just need to wait. They said they would be here tomorrow. And Max has always been there.”

“Aren’t you mad at them. You know for not telling us?”

“Yeah, I am…. Hush.”

“Don’t you hush… me…” Maria said increasingly softly. Something was very wrong. There was a bluish glimmer not more than five feet from the shore.

Out of it staggered a woman. Only Maria’s eyes must have been deceiving her, for moments later a large dog or wolf was running towards the beach. Right at them.

Maria rolled over and grabbed her gun, ready to shoot if needed.

The night grew bright from Michael’s elven blade as fire flickered along the edges.

There was something very strange going on. Very strange.

There had been a time when she was young that she had flipped out and carried on about even the slightest unusual situation.

Those days were long gone. Now she had a different fear as she felt her mind calm.

As the ‘cyber’ took over. Oh she wasn’t really a cyber. And the few that she knew who were weren’t the psychopathic killers the movies always made them out to be. Still the preternatural calm she felt during the crazy situations she found herself in always made her feel just ever so slightly mechanical.

A well oiled machine who would ruthlessly kill any who stood in her way.

It was a state of mind she had used time and time again in Mexico. So many bandits never saw it coming. Never saw her mind shift into overdrive.

Everything seemed so calm. So clear. Like she had all the time in the world.

It frightened her. It always had, it probably always would. But she needed it. When everything went crazy the ‘cyber’ was always there.

Maria was just afraid that one day it wouldn’t turn off. Or that she would wake one morning and find she was a machine.

Liz laughed at her about it. But then Liz was a cyber.

Still she welcomed it now. And somehow she knew the wolf was not the threat. That it was on the run. That there were things following it.

So she let the wolf pass. As did Michael.

Five more things followed.

And they killed them. Michael with fire and sword, she with her Parker 10mm.

It felt like hours. But in reality only seconds had passed. Four creatures lay dead, the fifth had run off into the forest behind them.

So much for the honeymoon.

Why hadn’t Michael told her he could throw bolts of flame? Why did he carry those pistols, then?

Her mind still felt preternaturally sharp as she went to check on the wolf that had fled. And laying there was a woman in tattered clothing except for an immaculate golden cloak.

Michael still had the sword ready as he followed her. His arm was already bruising where one of the things had hit him. He grunted when he saw the woman.

Maria looked up at him, the post combat jitters starting. One watching would have noticed that her gun hand never shook. “Do you know her?”

“Hmmph, yeah, you could say that.”

Maria arched an eyebrow at him. Sometimes he could be so infuriating!

Michael was still looking at the woman, “She’s Tess Harding.” There was a slight pause. “She’s Max’s wife.”
------

Aboard the Stargazer, In orbit around Alfheim

Liz looked at the screen, still displaying all of the impossible information.

This was not natural.

Max and Kyle were on the ground trying to figure out where they were. GPS was useless if it wasn’t attached to a map of some sort.

She heard Alex yawn behind her. Liz had spent more time on the bridge on this trip, spending time with Alex.

Both of them had been so excited to actually be able to study an alien world.

A world under attack by a monstrous storm that enveloped the whole planet. As far as Liz could tell, not a single ray of sunlight broke through the shroud of cloud cover anywhere on Alfheim.

If it wasn’t stopped, Alfheim was looking at a mass extinction event as everything died. First the plants, then the herbivores, then everything else. And oxygen levels would begin to drop.

Alfheim could very well become an uninhabitable dead world.

And Liz had no clue how to stop it.

“Liz.”

Liz looked over at Alex. Funny how accustomed one could become to ones senses once regained. A brief sense of wonder flared through her at the ability to actually see him.

“Liz, we need to call Max and Kyle back. We need to go back to pick up Maria and Michael. We are already late.”

“But, Captain…”

“Lizzie, I understand, I do. But I feel… I don’t know. There are things we must do.”

“Are you okay, Alex?”

“I am fine. Just we need to move. I feel, I feel like we are running out of time. We need to get them back aboard ship.”

“Okay, Captain.” She still looked at him out of the corner of her eyes.

He looked happier. He started to say something, stopped and looked thoughtful.

“Captain?”

“Lizzie, do you ever, do you ever dream?”

“Yes, of course, I do. Why?”

“It’s not important I guess. I just feel, I feel like I am finally doing what I was born for, you know.”

Liz nodded.

It was strange.

She felt the same way.

Liz recalled Max and Kyle from the surface of the planet.

-----
Antar City, Antar, Alfheim

Queen Consort Karyn Haraldsdottir glared at the useless functionary that was running the city while her husband was missing. “You have heard what Gudrun had to say. Surely you think some precautions necessary?”

“Your Highness, you are overwrought. The Peace will hold. They have nothing to gain by attacking us. Besides, we beat them last time, we’ll beat them again this time.”

The Queen waved her hand out the window. “And the sudden winter? Surely you think something needs to be done about that? Have you even contacted the Fire Wizard’s Guild?”

“Lord Kvar should be available soon. We have sent a messenger to his steading. There is no need to make a big fuss.”

“It is winter in the middle of the summer and you don’t think there needs to be a big fuss? Have you at least contacted the local stead holder or filled the granaries to feed the people if the crops fail?”

“Madame are you aware of the expense….”

“Never mind there is no point in my staying. Gudrun, come with me.”

Gudrun followed her out of the palace and towards the small home that Karyn now lived in. “What do we do now?”

“Same damn thing we always have to do…. Pick up the pieces. Come on, we have a lot to do, and not a lot of time.”

Gudrun followed her. Following Karyn was much like following Harald had been. On hearing what had happened to Vilandra, Karyn had merely tightened her lips and nodded.

Karyn would mourn when there was time. But she trusted her daughter.

If Vilandra said Ragnarok was nigh, then it was nigh. Only Karyn did not believe in fate. The Ljosalfar might be fated to die at Surt’s hand, as the Fire Giant set fire to the worlds.

But until death laid her low, Karyn would fight to protect her people.

And Gudrun would follow.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Sorcerer and the Stargazer (AU Teen) Part 12 - 11/22/08

Post by PML »

RhondaAnn- Thanks. In the following chapters our heroes are going to have to make some hard choices.

Begonia9508- Liz has known for a few chapters now. Before she was healed she assumed it wasn't that much of a deal as she didn't expect to live much longer. Now things are a little more complicated. Max and Tess's marriage is purely a political one. It is one of the terms in the Peace Treaty between the Ljosalfar and Dokkalfar, a sort of peace offering to speak.

Katydid- Thanks.

The Sorcerer and the Stargazer part 13

Nameless tropical island, Pacific Ocean, Midgard

Maria sipped at her coffee. Michael was out hunting that… thing. It had escaped their initial onslaught when Tess had appeared.

He called it a Sending. An animate curse.

It had been a long night. Apparently it could shape shift into almost anything. Direct sunlight would kill it. Until the sun rose they needed to be on their guard. It would try to kill Tess, but it wasn’t picky and would happily kill them too.

Normal humans had problems seeing them unless they were attacked. Maria however was special. The ring Michael had given her gave her a measure of protection from illusion and deceptive magic. As long as she stayed alert it would have trouble getting the drop on her.

She finished her coffee and muffled a yawn. She should check on Tess. The woman would cause a lot of trouble for Liz, but Maria wasn’t about to let Tess die over it. She absently checked her pistol and walked back into the honeymoon suite Liz had built for Michael and her.

On the bed Tess was slowly being smothered by what looked like an evil cat. It had her arms pinned and was slowly crushing the life out of the small blonde. How it had gotten in Maria had no clue.

It turned to face her, tentacles bearing razor sharp talons swinging towards Maria sprouting from its shoulders.

Not fast enough. Maria’s cyber self had already fired several rounds at the beastie. Max’s enchanted ammo in Liz’s custom firearm.

Even making weapons the two went perfectly together. Poor Tess didn’t stand a chance.

The evil critter died as Maria emptied one magazine into it. All so quick and effortless. Of course, the killing done, Maria returned to herself and started shaking slightly. The cool and efficient killer remained lurking just beneath the surface, ready if needed.

Sometimes she frightened herself.

She holstered the firearm and checked on Tess. Once the Sending had realized it would not escape it had focused on killing Tess. Blood bathed the bed she had shared with Michael. But the tough little woman wasn’t dead yet.

Maria thanked again the manic planning that had lead Liz to include a full med kit. Tess would still need a hospital soon, but it would stabilize her.

Tess’s eyes flicked open, full of pain and terror. Her mouth opened a couple of times.

Maria laid a finger on Tess’s lips. “Don’t talk. I killed it and your safe. We need to convince someone to get you, but until then rest.” She started to activate the medical machines and let them get to their work. She watched in awe as they began to hover over the wounded girl and apply bandages and inject her with something.

The pain faded from Tess’s eyes. She was fighting sleep, but she held on. “Max?”

“He’s not here.” Maria could not hide her discomfort. This situation was just awkward.

“W…Who?”

“I’m Maria Deluca-Guerin. Michael’s off hunting down that thing. I’ll call him back in a moment.”

“I… need…Max….”

“Just rest sweetie, help is on the way.”

Tess looked like she wanted to say something more, but finally gave in to the drugs.

Maria shook her head. She looked to the heavens and said, “Alright guys, now would be the time you should come back. You are already late and we need you!”

------
Some forest on Alfheim

Kyle looked nonplussed as he watched Max just sit there. The strange man was doing some freaky voodoo thing, trying to find out where they were.

Liz was compiling maps from her satellites even through the cloud cover. Apparently most of the maps Max had ever used were a little more… casual than the ones Kyle was used to. Satellite photography had been old when Kyle had been born. And while magic was a powerful and ancient force on Alfheim, space travel had never really happened there.

Liz was about to revolutionize life on Alfheim. Assuming there was life on Alfheim after all this was over.

But no matter how good the maps or for that matter the GPS system she had set up, it would be of no use if they could not translate them into an idea of where things actually were.

“Max, have you gotten anything?”

Max still sitting there, “This will go much faster if you don’t keep interrupting me every five minutes.”

Kyle shifted his weight, “It would help if I had some idea of what we were doing.” He shifted the gauss rifle he had on his back. To a normal man it would have been a squad support weapon. But Kyle was far from normal.

When they had first arrived at this spot there had been a few humanoid creatures who had tried to sneak up on them. They kept to the shadows but Kyle’s enhancements could always pick them out.

Trolls.

Part of him wanted to start blasting away at the creatures. But they were on a recon, not a search and destroy. Keeping a low profile would be a good idea.

Max remained silent.

Kyle felt Liz buzz him. “Go ahead, Liz.”

“Time to wrap things up. We need to pick up Michael and Maria. We are already late.”

“Right.” Kyle cut the link to Liz. “Max time to go.”

“But I almost have….”

“I could just leave you here I guess.”

Max whipped his head to look at Kyle.

“Joking. Do you have any idea where we might be?”

“I think we are five hundred miles south of my home.”

“Right, we’ll start with that….”

------
Somewhere in the Hecatan Wastelands, Nidavellir

Vilandra glared at Kvar.

He brushed off her hatred and disdain. “This is the plan. Siyan and I will head to the city of Dokkheim to fetch an item. You will go to Heimdall’s Temple and activate the Granolith.”

“The Granolith? That is a myth….”

Kvar just smiled at her, an evil glint in his eyes. “Why do you think I married you Vilandra? Your position in Court? Your beauty? Your power?”

Vilandra was silent.

Kvar continued, “I could have had any of that and more if I desired. But your line founded Antar. Your line placed the Granolith there. Only a member of your family can activate it. And to do what I need to do, to finally grasp my true position, I will need its power.”

Vilandra all but spat in his face. “What good will any of this do you? Your agenda will only damn us all. Don’t you see what is going on? It is the end Kvar, Ragnarok. Don’t you understand what this means!”

He merely smiled, “Opportunity, my dear wife, opportunity. The Gods will fight their doomed battle and die. But with the Granolith we will survive. That was its purpose. Did you know that? To save some of the Alfar when the Final Battle raged. And in all our fratricidal wars with the Dokkalfar, we Ljosalfar have forgotten it.”

“Then we can protect….”

“No my dear. I will only shield my servants. I don’t want any competition.”

“What are you talking about? What good is your power going to do if there is no one to rule?”

His smile grew larger if possible. “The gate is over there,” He pointed to a hilltop. “And you need to hurry. Spare no pain to achieve my goals. Without fail.” He brandished he diamond ring on his hand.

She wanted to resist. She wanted to. But…. But she couldn’t. Just thinking of resisting his orders stopped her heart dead. Only it would not let her die.

She had tried to resist him when he had returned to camp without Signy. She had tried to fetch her back, to storm the tower herself.

She got five paces before she collapsed. The pain was indescribable. Her whole body dying and dying, but never dead. When she had finally given up, after what felt like decades, but in reality only an hour or so, she had been able to repair the damage.

Just like she would have after an escape spell.

She was cursed. She was damned.

She was Kvar’s

She went off to fulfill her master’s desires.

-----
On board the Stargazer, Over the Pacific Ocean, Midgard

Alex, Liz, and Max stood behind the glass while Tess lay on a medical bed. There were a variety of wires connected to Tess and several robots were repairing surface cuts and abrasions.

Max spoke first, “So how long will she be under?”

“I’ll have her good as new probably twelve hours. I might be able to wake her before that, but I think she needs the rest. Plus she’s pretty badly dehydrated and I’m building up her blood supply. Twelve hours. God, I wanted to talk to her, but not like this.”

Alex cleared his throat, “We need to decide what to do soon. Now that we know that we can indeed travel between the worlds, what is that you planned on us doing anyway?” Alex had a vague memory of talking with Serena, his dead wife. Something about Stormhold. That everything depended on them getting there on time.

“I need to go to meet someone at Stormhold, but first, first I would like to see what is going on at home.”

Alex nodded.

Liz spoke up, “Do you know where your home is? I mean, did you have enough time?”

“I think so.”

Liz nodded, “Captain, is it okay if we stop at Tucson again to pick up some scrap? I have a feeling it would be best that I keep myself topped up.”

“That is a good idea. Give yourself a few hours there and then we will head back to Alfheim to check on those coordinates.”

“Okay, I’ll see you both later.”

Both Max and Alex watched as Liz left.

Alex shook his head, “This has to be hard on both of you.”

Max looked down and then at Tess. “Neither of us were ever really close. Tess tried, she really did. I had already met Liz. And…. I don’t think I was ever truly fair to her. I’m glad she’ll live. But…..”

“Yeah, life can get complicated.”

Max nodded.

Alex looked at Max again, “You know, you did not really answer me. What is your plan for my ship. I think I have the right to know.”

Max looked gloomy for a moment before returning Alex’s gaze. “I want you to destroy the Bifrost Bridge.”
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Sorcerer and the Stargazer (AU Teen) Part 13 - 12/07/08

Post by PML »

begonia9508- Max is in the wrong here. But he never lied to Tess. And yes this might cause some problems.

RhondaAnn- Tess wanted to share the information she had about the Tower before she died. And there was the lingering thought he might just be able to save her too.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

The Sorcerer and the Stargazer part 14

High Council Chamber, Dokkheim, Nidavellir

Nicholas stood in the Council Chamber and calmly gave his report to the leaders of the Dokkalfar. All his time on Midgard gave the scene a barbaric and primitive look to his eyes.

The humans might have been worthless vermin, but proper lighting would not be remiss. Sure torchlight gave a certain dramatic air to the proceedings.

Still after spending time in boardrooms full of high powered politicians and business executives really made the wizards on the Council seem… quaint.

“There is little doubt, my lords. Ava Frostfire has betrayed us. Even now she runs to her husband to warn them.”

One of the cowled wizards spoke up, “Is the Tower ready? Has it built up enough power?”

Nicholas nodded slightly, “Yes, my lords. It is earlier than we planned, but the power is there. Power enough to sweep away both the remnants of mankind and the Ljosalfar.”

The brooding High Chancellor finally spoke. “Very well. You have done well, Nicholas. It has been a long time since we have invited a Wolf to join us on the Council. We have but one last task for you to complete before you join us.”

“I will lead our forces to victory on Midgard, I promise.”

“No. There is another more pressing matter that needs to be attended to. Your old mentor has holed up in the ancient Dwarven stronghold of Stormhold. We wish you to lead a troop to capture or kill Marcus Frostfire. Level the fortress and kill all inside.” The Chancellor noted a look of chagrin on Nicholas’s face. “If you find the girl you can keep her. I will teach you the spells to make her… biddable.”

Nicholas could not help the joy that filled him. The thought of joining the Council, coupled with the possession of Ava…. “I will succeed my lords.”

------
Hecatan Wastelands, Nidavellir.

Mira watched her friends sleep as the wind rustled the thin walls of their tent. Bronwhin still hadn’t lost her childhood plumpness and Hradis still was too thin.

They troubled her. Had they changed or had she? She no longer felt close to them anymore, no longer felt pride in her station.

How long had the Owls persecuted the Dokkalfar with their arcane knowledge. Some of the tales the two had told her, while a little funny were horrific. Ordinary people being used as test subjects as things to be used.

Used up if needed.

But were her kind any better? The Wolves were supposed to protect and guide the rest of Dokkalfar society. How often had they been used to uphold Owl rule? Used as pawns in arcane strategies and battles between various factions of the Council.

She sighed and watched as the deadly sunlight shined its dire glare outside of the thin protective walls.

One more day to reach the Tower and receive her gift. A gift of power. A gift of insight.

Why did that tiny voice still fill her with dread of her upcoming choice. A stand that it was direly certain that she would not be able to make. That she would fail and fall as her ancestors had since time immemorial.

Could she bring herself to refuse the power she knew she would gain? Would she be willing to pay the price?

Why her? Why should she care?

Mira waited for the night to fall so they could continue their journey. Waiting for the darkness that could hide so much.

-----
Abandoned temple to Heimdall, Antar, Alfheim

The falcon flew through the howling blizzard. This was patently impossible. For even if the bird could survive the intense cold, surely it would be dashed against a tree or the ground.

As in truth it had been.

Many times.

A swirl of wind threw the small bird hard against the ancient temple wall at well over a hundred miles an hour. It should have died.

It should have.

But it couldn’t.

It couldn’t die.

Not anymore.

The creature that had once called her self Vilandra changed shape yet again to her humanoid form. Her naked body was covered with bruises from various impacts she had suffered flying to this location. Her fingers were still raw from having to claw herself from underneath and ice flow from a river she had fallen into after slamming into a canyon wall.

She wore only her necklace, a memory of the one man who had ever truly loved her, and her spiral earrings. The wind was cold and her lips were blue. But despite the fact she should have a severe case of hypothermia she wasn’t worried.

She wasn’t sure what she was anymore, but it certainly wasn’t Alfar. The diamond that now served as her heart filled her with unnatural vitality. She was cold and had several broken bones along with all the bruises.

But along the way she had learned how to mend such things. She closed her eyes and felt her body shift, the bones resettling and reforming under her will.

Given time she could fix the soft tissue damage too, but she was in a hurry. Her master had a mission for her and she must not disappoint.

She padded into the ancient temple on bare feet. Not for the first time did she wish her fylgia form was one more suited to the current weather. Something with fur.

The air inside the temple was much warmer. She pulled off her left earring and opened it, pulling out her sword and travel leathers. She quickly dressed. It wasn’t like she needed the clothes, but she might need the sword and just wearing a sword belt looked silly.

And she was tired of feeling cold.

If ever she had the opportunity she would have to talk with some wizard about learning to shift her clothes and possessions. Part of the price for being self taught.

Maybe Max would know. Not that she was ever likely to see him again.

Somehow she doubted Kvar would save her brother.

Or Alex.

She closed her eyes as pain flooded through her being. If she could only go back, even if for just one day. If she could only apologize, let him know how much she truly loved him.

She blinked back the tears and continued with her mission. She walked through the temple until she found the stairwell that lead down to the Granolith Chamber. She read all the runes that spoke of the eternal for vigilance against the forces of chaos and darkness.

It made feel tired. How long had this place been abandoned? How long had her people been lax? Centuries? Millennia?

She walked over to the device and activated it. She could feel as long dormant magical forces rose up around her. She felt her heart pound and flutter in her chest. There was something antithetical to her heart’s construction.

She felt herself unravel, felt the opportunity for release….

She would miss being alive, miss the opportunity to redeem herself…. But she wanted the freedom, the freedom from Kvar….

And the door shut. She was still trapped. The Granolith accepted her.

And whispered to her of hope.

To not give up.

To never give up.

Remain vigilant.

She was not alone.

Hold on to hope and keep an eye for her chance.

For it might come at anytime.

Remain vigilant.

She walked over to a now lit brazier and tossed in the charm Kvar had given her.

It would lead him here.

Once more he would gain the prize he desired.

But Siyan was right. The Granolith was right. Vigilance was called for. Kvar would make a mistake. She would gain her vengeance. He would get his just reward for his self-serving evil.

She sat down and waited for him to arrive.

------
Stargazer Medbay, Above Tucson, Midgard

Tess’s eyes fluttered open. In truth she had not expected to live.

She was a nurse and her injuries were simply not survivable. Not without a first class medical facility.

Which apparently she was in. Only….

There were no people. Just medical robots.

Must be the Japanese. Or possibly American. The other powers still believed in the human touch.

At least she was on Midgard. Only Max could have saved her otherwise.

Sure the Alfar had other healers, but most of their powers worked too slow. She’d be dead before it took effect.

And it wasn’t likely one of the Gods or a wandering Jotnari would save her.

Hopefully the controlling computer spoke English. Tess’s Japanese was very rusty. She muttered a few comments to herself in Alfar.

And the computer responded in like kind. “Good morning Mrs. Evens.”

“I go by Tess Harding, not Evens. It is not like he cares about our marriage.” She said back. “You speak Alfar?”

“My apologies for the presumption. Your husband has helped me determine the differences between Icelandic, Norse, and the Antaran version of Alfar.”

“Well, that would explain the accent…. Um, who are you? Are you a person or an AI?”

“I am the Artificial Intelligence of the Stargazer. I have notified the Executive Officer of your recovery. She will be here shortly.”

“The Stargazer?” Tess shifted into English, “That is Captain Whitman’s ship? Didn’t it leave American service. I mean why are you here.”

“I….”

“Picking up scrap before we head back to Antar.” Came a light voice from the door.

Tess looked over and saw Her. Of course. It would have to be Her wouldn’t it.

“Beth.”

Liz flinched, “I go by Liz now. I really needed to talk to you…”

“So are you still sleeping with my husband? Did you know? I mean did he even tell you about me, or was that two timing….”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know until recently.”

“Sorry, sure. Hey they’re only marriage vows. Gods, he told me he wasn’t going to honor them, but it hurt…. It still hurts.” Visions of the night she had visited Max in Boston and had first seen Her.

“He has told me why he can’t divorce you….”

“Politics. You know, I can’t, I can’t deal with this now.” Tess moved over to her chair, grabbed the Tarnkappe that lay drapped on one of the chairs. She swept the shimmery golden cloak around her body and became invisible.

And she fled.

------
Upper caves of Dokkheim, Dokkheim, Nidavellir.

Siyan knelt over the body of the only Dokkalfar they had come across in the Upper Caves. Not surprising as there were openings in the ceiling that in the light of day.

Even the weak light from Nidavellir’s sun would burn and kill a Dokkalfar.

She hated killing without reason. This poor man had merely been in the wrong place at the wrong time. “Why are we here?”

“Did you know that many of the hills and mountains of Nidavellir are alive?”

“Um, okay. I assume this has something to do with the reason we are in the Dokkalfar capital on the eve of Ragnarok. I wonder who they would torture longest before killing us.”

“We will just have to be careful then. Anyway…”

It was one of those odd things. Kvar knew she hated him. But he also knew that she had to protect him. That she had to listen to him. And so he told her everything. When they were alone, he would often go on the strangest tangents.

Often they were bizarre, but sometimes, sometimes they were useful.

“Go on.”

Kvar slowly crept up talking softly, but loud enough for her to hear. “They were giants once, Jotnari from the First War, still resting from their defeat. As long as they are alive, the mountain or hill tends to stay stable. Mines don’t collapse, halls stay free of deadfalls, that sort of thing.”

“And this is relevant how?”

Kvar hissed in pleasure as they turned a corner, and glittering in the sunlight was a giant sapphire. Only there was a cloudy substance flowing through it. And occasionally it would flash. “Thor’s tear. Scraller’s heart…. With this I will be able to possess powers to rival the Gods. Now I will just need to lure her away….”

“Her?”

“Oh, you didn’t realize? Where do you think I found the gems large enough to make into a human sized heart?”

Siyan’s hand flew to her chest, inside of which a giant emerald clattered and chimed.

“Yes, Siyan. You have a Jotun’s heart.” Kvar reached out and muttered some powerful incantation and removed the large stormy sapphire.

Siyan felt a tremor run through the mountain as it died and became just another collection of rock. Surely the Dokkalfar would notice?

Kvar just smiled. “They won’t know for a while. Not until they get a cave in or two. The dwell too much on the future, too much on the dead. Here grasp my hand. Lonnie has done her job, too. We have plans to make.”

Siyan cringed knowing what would be next.

“And another soul to steal.” He lifted a piece of parchment on which a face had been printed, almost lifelike in its detail.

Would it ever end.

A vortex appeared and they vanished.

------
On board the Stargazer, Tucson, Midgard

Tess ran blindly down the empty corridors of the Stargazer, vainly looking for someplace she could relax.

They were together again. And somehow it still hurt. Even after all the years, even after all the accusations that he had never denied. Even after all of his attempts to divorce her.

The visions of him with Beth, with Liz….

She almost ran into the blonde who had saved her, arm in arm with Michael. And Max.

No she couldn’t deal with him either right now.

She needed to talk to him, to convince him to help her destroy that Tower.

But not now.

She ran down several corridors and a couple flights of stairs. Until she found herself in what seemed a large machine shop. If she closed her eyes and just smelled the metal and the oil, she could almost imagine herself back in Stormhold.

Almost.

“Hello, Tess.”

It was the last voice she thought she would ever hear. A man dead since the American Army was blasted out of Taipei. It was impossible…. “K, Kyle?”

“Hey. It’s nice to see you. Well sort of.”

Tess’s eyes tightened. She was invisible! How did he know where she was?

“The Russians developed something similar, nowhere near as good, mind. But they sold some of them to the Chinese. When they put me back together they implanted some countermeasures.”

“I, I…. Why didn’t you ever let me know you were alive. God, I waited for you. For years.”

“I didn’t want to burden you. I was badly injured, and, and…. Well they gave me the opportunity to walk again. To help fight for America. I didn’t know, they didn’t tell me the full price.”

She could see him now. He looked great.

She wanted him. She wanted him right now.

And she was dressed in a hospital gown and a cloak. She was trembling as she walked towards him. It had been so long.

There had been three men that she had truly loved in her life. Nicholas had only wanted her for her connections. Max had never actually wanted her. And had told her so. And had proved it.

Only Kyle had not betrayed her. She had thought he had died, but now….

She wanted him. Right here, right now.

Sure it wasn’t rational. It wasn’t even close to rational. She didn’t care.

She slipped off the hospital gown, but kept her cloak. He couldn’t possibly see her clearly.

“Uh, Tess? What are you doing?”

She was still invisible as she placed her hand on his chest. She dropped the invisibility. “Kyle, I want to know everything. Everything that has happened since we parted in Frankfurt. But right now I just want you to screw my brains out? Can you do that for me?”

“Uh, Tess. As much as I want to do that….”

She kissed him, he was more than ready.

Parted his shirt was off and she was working on his belt. “Tess…”

“No talk. Pleasure first. Then business. And probably pleasure again. And again if your up to it.”

Kyle shrugged. He had tried to tell her. She’d had her opportunity to leave. He scooped her up and carried her to his room.

Where he would have his wicked way with her, and she with him.

Part of him wondered at the odds of all of them being involved…. Of all of them finding each other here and now….

He’d been spending way too much time with Liz and Alex.

Sex now, thinking later.

-----

Karyn Haraldsdottir used her own powers to immolate Gudrun’s dead body. It wasn’t her people’s way to burn the dead, but they had too. Too many of those slain fighting against those damn Necromancers had ended up fighting for the Necromancers.

So they burned every dead body they could find.

The attack had been swift and savage. She had managed to rally a small number of people to arms. But so many of the actual guards had been swept away in the first rush.

They were now trapped in the old citadel. She had managed to cache some food, but the enemy only needed to wait them out.

Unless a miracle happened they were all going to die.

The storm clouds shielded the Dokkalfar and the Draugar from the sun’s blessed rays. So they did not even have the respite of daylight to give them a break. Instead the Draugar kept up the attack.

They were doomed, but Karyn would not give in.

Surely the Gods had not completely forgotten them. Surely there was hope?

Ragnarok.

There was no hope.

They were all going to die.

Karyn led her people to fight on.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Sorcerer and the Stargazer (AU Teen) Part 14 - 12/12/08

Post by PML »

RhondaAnn- And it is just starting.

Disclaimer- The characters of Roswell are not mine and no infringement is intended. The plot and the scores of extras, well for good or ill they are mine.

The Sorcerer and the Stargazer part 15

Abandoned temple to Heimdall, Antar, Alfheim

Vilandra dozed in the pleasant haze of hope that the Granolith had instilled in her. She dreamt of Alex. Of his love for her, and the hope she could regain it. She dreamt of a babe suckling at her breast.

His child. Alex’s child.

She wanted it. She wanted it so very much.

And in another place and time that is all they would be.

Merely dreams.

Just a pure dream of life and light.

But in this place, in this time, much was possible.

Her dreams were strange, so very strange. She felt herself on trial for some reason. And she feared the judge. His head was down, a large broad brimmed hat covering his face.

The prosecutor was a tall and proud man with only one hand. She couldn’t understand the language they spoke in, it was layered in someway that made it deeper than anything she had ever heard before. But she knew he spoke of duty, of honor, of law. Of sacrifices made to protect the whole community.

A second speaker rose before the judge. And she was golden, her beauty making Vilandra self-conscious. The woman fingered a necklace similar to the one Alex had given her, of amber and gold. And she smiled at Vilandra. She could not understand her any more than she could the first speaker, but Vilandra knew what she spoke of. She spoke of love, of desire. Of life.

Vilandra racked her mind. She knew who these beings were. She just couldn’t think it. Something was stopping her from….

The judge raised his bowed head and looked at her from his single eye. He spoke one word and….

Everything changed. She was standing in her old apartment, back in London. Back when London still stood. Memories flooded her as she looked around at all the things she had left that day when her father had come to collect her.

The day she had left Alex.

Could she go through that again?

There was a knock on the door. She dreaded answering it. It would be her father come to take her back. Take her to Antar. Take her to where she would be wooed and eventually won by Kvar. The man who would take everything from her.

Even her soul.

No she couldn’t, not even in a dream.

But she found herself walking toward the door. Found herself opening it.

It wasn’t who she was afraid it would be. In fact she had never met this woman before.

She was a pretty black woman with stormy grey eyes, dressed in a grey suit to match.

“Hi, my name was Serena Whitman. I just thought I would drop by and talk for a moment. You have no clue how long I have wished to meet you.” She reached out a hand to Vilandra.

Vilandra grasped the hand. Or was she Isabel? It was London and it was a dream. Why be the cursed Vilandra, when she could still at least pretend to be free.

Yes Isabel. She was Isabel.

“Uh, hi. I am Isabel Ramirez. Do I know you?”

“No but I know you. Alex always talked about you.” Her gaze flicked up and down Isabel, “You are as beautiful as he said you were.”

“You know Alex?”

“I was his wife.”

Isabel felt the world crash down on her. He was married. She was too late. She waved the woman into her living room and closed the door. She then motioned to the couch for her guest to sit. They needed to talk.

Serena merely smiled. “Don’t worry. I died a few years back. And don’t worry about Kvar. Those bonds have been broken. Now we only have to free you. And well, you’ll have a visitor soon. I am not staying long. I just need to know. He loves you so much. Do you love him?”

“Do I love Alex? Yes! God, if I could only go back in time….” Isabel shook her head in sorrow. “And did you just say you were dead?”

Serena just smiled, “I just needed to be sure. It may be that we will meet again. Hopefully under better circumstances.” She cocked her head slightly. “I should go.” She walked to the door and opened it. A well dressed Alex stood there, one hand raised to knock on the door. Serena smiled and said, “Go get her Romeo.”

“Do I know you?”

“Yes, but it’s not important. Don’t chicken out.” And Serena left, both Isabel and Alex looking after her.

Alex looked at Isabel, “Who was that?”

Isabel looked down. “I don’t really know. Is this some dream? I want it to be true, please let it be true.”

Alex shook his head and looked at his beloved. It did feel like a dream, like another chance to do what should have been done so long ago. He strode up to the couch on which Isabel still sat and knelt before her. “Isabel please look at me.”

Isabel raised her head and looked Alex straight in the eye. It hurt so much. She would be leaving him behind.

“Isabel, this morning I woke up and you were gone. And, and, I had this whole romantic thing planned, but I feel I can’t wait. That if I don’t hurry, that you will leave me behind forever.”

“Alex, I….”

“Isabel Amanda Ramirez, will you marry me?” Alex’s hands were shaking as he fished out the little box that held the gold and diamond ring.

Isabel stared at Alex, her heart racing. But a part of her remembered Vilandra, remembered the trial. She needed to go back to Antar. They needed her.

Honor, duty, and sacrifice weighed against love and life.

She knew which she would choose.

“Yes, Alex. Yes!”

Defending her choice with her father would be tough. She knew there were others he wanted her to marry, other favorites he wanted to tie to the throne. But she didn’t want to be like poor Ava, no poor Tess. She went by Tess now.

She bent to kiss him, to kiss her beloved. The touch was electric. Her body felt flushed with heat and desire and he slid the ring onto her finger. As Alex claimed her and she claimed him.

Forever.

That day and night seemed to last forever, filled with feverish passion. Her heart chiming a new tune, one filled not with despair, but with love.

She was not alone. She would never truly be alone again.

A different life flashed before her eyes. Marriage. Children. A life of peace and love.

Vilandra slowly opened her eyes. Her heart still clattered and chimed, but it still sang a different tune. Still called to Alex and not to Kvar. Her body was flushed and sweaty, and she felt…. She felt like she had just had the best sex of her whole life.

Her hand absently caressed the ring on her finger. But it felt different from the one Kvar had made her wear. It was lighter and warm to the touch. She looked down.

And gasped. It was a human style ring. A perfectly normal wedding ring, except for the runes cut in the gold. Runes unfamiliar to her.

Not human script. Or Alfar. Or Dwarven.

She looked down and saw the old ring that she had once wore. A heavy Alfar ring. Only its gold was blackened, the circle broken and the diamond shattered.

Something strange was happening. Something strange and wonderful.

For she could feel something fluttering in side of her. The changes that had been wrought on her had brought an incredible sense of her body. It was how she could so easily repair her broken bones, mend her damaged tissues.

And now she felt in her abdomen a new life, as yet only partly formed. A baby. Not Kvar’s. Alex’s.

But how?

She stared again at the Granolith. And remembered her wish.

Could it have…? But that would be impossible!

She was still staring at the column when Kvar and Siyan arrived through a shimmering vortex. She ignored a jubilant Kvar admiring a stormy sapphire. She ignored his happy prattle and rubbed her ring, the runes faded now.

He had not even noticed. Had not noticed that she was no longer his. Oh she was his prisoner and he would pay for that. Pay for it long and hard.

She would move heaven and earth to be with Alex again. To be with her real husband again.

And she knew that he would do the same. That he was coming for her.

All she had to do was remain vigilant.

Siyan just stared at her, her mouth slightly open. Finally she asked, “Vilandra? What happened here?”

She smiled and looked at her friend, “I do not know. I really don’t know. But it was a good thing. A very good thing.” She paused a moment, cocking her head to the side and rearranging her hair. She nodded. “Call me Isabel. I am Vilandra no more. Call me Isabel. Isabel Whitman.”

And for the first time in weeks, in what felt like years…. Isabel smiled.

-----
On board the Stargazer, Somewhere over northern California heading west, Midgard

Alex woke up. He felt good. He felt better than he had in a long time.

And he desperately needed a shower. He toggled the stateroom computer to wash his bedding as well.

He had dreamt of Isabel. Of going to her apartment early that horrible morning, before she had left. Of not depending on setting the mood.

Of just asking her, pleading if necessary.

She had said yes.

His mouth tried to curl into a bittersweet smile at the pleasant dream. But he was too damn happy. Hope filled him to the brim. He could not see any reason for it, for it had only been a dream.

It wasn’t until he was halfway through his shower that he noticed the ring. A second golden ring next to Serena’s ring. Only cut into it were runes of some sort. Golden glimmering runes that were slowly fading in the shower.

He finished his shower briskly. There was something he had to check. He was still just wrapped in a towel as he stood over his safe.

And in the tiny velvet box, the ring was gone. How anyone could have taken it….

Unless…..

That was impossible!

And yet he could not help the grin that spread across his face. It was impossible. He was a fool to believe otherwise.

Well then he was a fool. For he believed.

“Stargazer has anything… odd happened during the night.”

“Not that I am aware of sir. Tess Harding has awakened.”

“Good, is she still in Sickbay?”

There was a pause. “Not exactly Captain.”

Alex’s heart pounded. Maybe the tiny blonde had stolen the ring, maybe his faith was misplaced.

“She is with Kyle.”

“Okay, well call them up to the Bridge.”

“They appear to be … occupied at the moment.”

Alex could not help a grin stream across his face. “Tell me Stargazer, when did this ship become the Loveboat?”

“I am sorry, Captain, I do not get the allusion.”

“Never mind. Is Liz available?”

“She is in CIC with Max.”

“Is she occupied too?”

“No Captain. They are merely sharing breakfast.”

“Inform them I will be joining them. Invite Michael and Maria, too. We should all talk.”

“Yes Captain.”

Alex still had to grin.

-----
Stargazer CIC, Over the Western Pacific, Midgard.

Breakfast had been fun. Only Kyle and Tess had missed it. According to her sensors they were still getting… reacquainted with each other.

She was happy for them. And maybe it would lessen the pain for Tess. Liz was not about to give up Max.

“So any message traffic I should be aware of?” Alex asked.

“Not at the moment, Captain. Just a couple more offers and several demands that we return to Federal Service.”

“No thank you.”

Liz cocked her head. There was a new flash message. “Sir, we a receiving an emergency beacon from Seattle. It is Lieutenant Martinez. They are requesting an immediate evacuation.”

“Is it a trap?”

“I don’t think so. I have the other ships on global scan. We are closest. Do we assist?”

Alex sighed, “I need to get to the Bridge. Reply that we are on the way. Keep your eyes peeled for treachery. I doubt Martinez would willingly dupe us, but Crosslin….”

“Yes, sir.”

Liz continued to ignore the various Federal demands. Until her screens lit up. For a moment she was afraid they were under attack.

The Stargazer wasn’t. But every remaining human city was reportedly under attack by unknown forces.

By zombies.

She felt Max touch her suddenly stiff shoulder.

“Liz what is wrong?”

“My world is under attack, Max. People are dying everywhere. Attacked by the dead.”

“Draugar. But how? How could they have so much power?”

“I don’t know Max, but what are we going to do now?”
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Sorcerer and the Stargazer (AU Teen) Part 15 - 12/21/08

Post by PML »

Thanks to all those reading this story.

RhondaAnn- Isabel will be free in about four parts, or so. It won't be all fun and games though. And yes she still has the crystal Jotnari heart that Kvar gave her.

As for the zombies, well they aren't zombies per say, but rather Draugar. Norse undead. They have magical powers, and some can shape shift. But a lot of them are just animated bodies. And people running into them aren't going to be thinking ghosts or the like. They will think zombies. <shrug> Even after the Dokkalfar have killed off 99.9 percent of mankind they are still outnumbered...

Paper- Hey, thanks for the feedback. Nice to have you back.

As for the warlike races, well mankind is probably the most warlike in this fic. The trolls are scavengers, the Dwarves doughty warriors, the Alfar good for a raid or ambush.... But if it is a war you are looking for.... Yeah, not our best trait. But useful. Both the Jotnari and the Aesir use the souls of dead men to fill their armies. (Valhalla and Hel respectively.)

There are three main types of Wizardry. Earth, which is the basic Alfar magic that they had from time immemorial. Ice Wizardry which was developed to fight the trolls, it uses a lot of dark magic. And Fire Wizardry which was used to fight off the Ice Wizards when they tried to take over. Earth magic is powerful but slow. Not good in a fight. Ice magic has more dramatic effects and good divination and necromancy. Fire wizardry is more direct. Most Fire Wizards are good, most Ice Wizards are evil. There aren't many Earth Wizards left. The Rhbus were a council of the remaining Earth Wizards who tried to protect the Ljosalfar.

Tess is Dokkalfar, who mostly use Ice Wizardry. Necromancy is a big part of an Ice Wizard's arsenal. Which includes forcing the dead to speak of the past, present, and future. And a lot of really, really unpleasant things. There is a reason most Ice Wizards are evil.

Anyway, on with the story.

The Sorcerer and the Stargazer part 16

Bridge of the Stargazer, Near Seattle, Midgard

Alex checked his boards. He was worried about the scale of the attacks. As far as he could tell every major human settlement was under attack by forces unknown.

Unconfirmed reports spoke of creatures walking into streams of gunfire. And they kept coming.

He did note one thing. Not a single confirmed attack in direct sunlight.

“Stargazer patch me into Max.”

“Yes, Captain.”

“Max, can the Draugar withstand daylight? Or are they like the trolls and Dokkalfar you were talking about?”

“No, none of them can.”

“Right. I want you and Michael to write up a quick report on how to combat these things with human weapons.”

“Alex….”

“I want it ten minutes ago. My people are dying out there, Max, fighting your people’s enemies. Where do you think they will be going when they are done with us?”

“I’m sorry, I’m just worried about Vilandra and my own home.”

“I understand.”

“Liz?”

“Yes, Captain?”

“I need to know where we can drop off the survivors and Martinez. How many people are we picking up anyway?”

“Twenty-seven civvies, seven Feds, and eight Marines.”

“I’d love to keep those Marines…. Liz, where can we drop them off?”

“Twelve of them need immediate medical attention. I, I, Alex, it is bad everywhere. I don’t know. Um, Bonn maybe. For some reason the attacks are lighter there.”

“Fine, plot a jump. Contact them and see if they have hospital space for out casualties.”

“Captain, what are we going to do?” Came Liz’s reply.

Alex did what he always did. He calmed himself down and took a couple of deep breaths. Usually this focused him, let him make the kind of hard decisions that were the reason he was the Captain.

This time was a little different. At the second deep breath he fell unconscious….

Alex opened his eyes, only to find himself in a small chamber. Decidedly not on the Stargazer.

His now deceased wife looked at him with sad eyes. “We meet again, my friend.”

“Serena?”

“Alex we don’t have a lot of time. Not to talk and not in the true world either. Right now you are going to have to make some decisions that will affect the outcome of the War.”

“The War?”

“Ragnarok.”

“Uh, okay. What decisions?”

“You need to decide whether you will stay and support your people, or if you will try to carry on the fight elsewhere. If you stay you will save lives. But they will likely be lost later.”

“So you are saying I should just abandon the human race?”

“No, Alex, I don’t mean that. Although it will appear to many that you are. Max will want you to go to Alfheim, to his home. He will want you to help him. And you should. But remember that he needs to be at Stormhold today or all may be lost.”

“When you say lost, you mean we won’t be able to stop Ragnarok from occurring?”

Sorrow was deep in her voice, “We are way past that point Alex. I don’t think you can. You should try, but…. I think it is too late.” Serena took a deep breath. “If Max is not at Stormhold today, there is a good chance the War will be lost.”

Alex looked at her, “Wait, I thought the Gods lose the war anyway.”

“They were supposed to, but, Alex, the Jotnari have developed a plan that may let them win entirely. As it was the forces of Chaos should be as badly damaged as the forces of Law. But if the Tower is not destroyed….”

“Why didn’t you tell me this earlier? Maybe…. I mean we wasted so much time….”

“Alex, there are rules. Rules that we must follow. The proxies must have free will. Only the Jotnari have been cheating, and well, the rules have been loosened a little. But if we push too hard….”

“They will gain an advantage.”

Serena merely nodded.

“So I need to find Stormhold by the end of the day? Or we are all doomed?”

“If Max isn’t at Stormhold today, the best chance of eliminating the Tower will vanish. And if the Tower stands…. Alex, all that you have done already will not be in vain. Your work with Amy and Jim will still bear fruit. Mankind may still be saved…. But the rules under which our children live will be much darker than those we are used to. The Aesir do not love the mortals, well some do, but most have their own lives. They protect our world not out of love but out of self-enlightenment. By protecting us they protect themselves. And Alex, the Jotnari will not be so laissez faire. They will intervene constantly. And many of them hate us.”

“Is there any hope at all?”

“Would it stop you if I said that there was no hope?”

Alex sighed, “No, I would fight on. I would fight on the slightest chance that fate might change. I do not believe in destiny.”

Serena smiled, for the first time a tinge of hope reaching her eyes. “Alex, I wish I could give you good news and hope, but you will have to make it. But I will say that if the Jotnari can sway events so dramatically at such a late date, maybe, maybe you can as well.”

“I will. I swear it, Serena.”

“You must go. As I said there is not much time. Farewell. Farewell and congratulations.”

“Congratulations?”

“She’s a wonderful woman. No matter what happens remember that Isabel loves you.” She cocked her head back a moment in consideration, “And that may be what saves all of you. Goodbye.”

Alex woke suddenly.

He heard Liz’s steady voice, “Captain are you okay?”

“I am fine Liz. Change of plans.”

------

Another hopeless day had passed for Karyn Haraldsdottir. There were only ten fighters left, and even that included several youths who had somehow managed to learn enough not to die in the fighting yet.

It really was only a matter of time.

There were a few others, elders who tried to keep the children calm in such a dire straight.

Twenty-five innocent souls to be used in some foul experiment. Killing them might be a mercy, but it was not one that she, mother to five children herself, could bring herself to.

They might hold for one day. No more than that. And it would all be over. She hoped and wished that she could join her ancestors in Valhalla and continue the fight against these evil oppressors. For surely Ragnarok was nigh.

A raven landed on the windowsill. Karyn was tempted to toss a rock at the bird, surely fattened by the bodies of her people. But something of how it looked at her stopped her. She just stood and stared into its beady eyes.

There was something, someone there. Someone familiar.

She heard a whirring sound, unlike any she had heard before. Some new Dokkalfar devilry?

It looked almost like some Dwarven toy as the thing flew into the room. Some mechanical insect. Only she knew is it entered that it was no Dwarven artifact. There was a power there, but unlike the magic that the Dwarves possessed.

Midgarder. Human.

Karyn backed away. The fact that it likely had little magical force, and likely no curse attached did not calm her. The humans had made quite deadly things before they destroyed themselves.

A couple of antennae popped out and waved in the air before focusing on a nearby wall. A girl with dark hair and a kind smile was reflected off the wall. On her head was what looked like a thin crown.

“I Liz Parker, Executive Officer of the Stargazer great you. Who do I have the pleasure of talking with?”

“I….”

A tall dark man was suddenly also in the picture, slightly behind the woman. She recognized him immediately, one of Zan‘s bastards. This one had become one of the youngest Ljosalfar to be come a Fire Wizard. Max Evans. “Your Highness, we are here to aid you. How many of you remain, and where are you all located?”

Karyn bitterly replied, “You are late coming to our aid. It is only us in the High Tower. The rest of the Court, the rest of the City, for all I know the rest of our people lay dead.”

A memory of loss was reflected in Liz’s eyes. She closed her eyes for a second. “Gather all of your people together. We are coming.”

And Karyn began to feel the earth shake in sudden staccato bursts. She glanced out the window and saw as swift sleek shapes flashed low across the sky, over the enemy army. And beneath were they passed was only fire.

------
Stargazer CIC, over Antar City, Alfheim

“Alex, we need more time!” Max said intently at the screen of Alex on the Bridge.

“You have,” there was a brief pause as Alex looked at a clock, “seventy-two minutes remaining. I want everyone on board in less than an hour. But in seventy-two minutes we make the jump to Nidavellir.”

“But we haven’t found my sister yet!”

Alex’s face washed with pain for just a moment before his normal demeanor reasserted itself. “Max, we don’t have time. I want to find her as much as you do. Possibly more. But she will have to take care of herself a little longer. We need to get to Stormhold as soon as possible. We might already be late.”

“Alex, at least let us gather some supplies.”

Lieutenant Martinez and his Marines will aid you. You have seventy-one minutes remaining, Max. I suggest you get started.” The screen went blank.

Max turned to Liz, “Is he always, so, so…”

“Implacable?” Liz grinned up at her lover. “You know he’s the Captain for a reason Max. Martinez is waiting for you.”

“You too?”

Liz reached up and kissed him quickly, “Come back to me, Max. I’m going to be stuck with all these equations plotting our jumps. You are not the only one he’s leaning on. Oh, and try to pick up as much in the way of food as you can. I can synthesize almost anything, but I can’t make stuff out of nothing.”

Max gave her a quick peck back, “For you anything.” Despite his lingering annoyance with Alex, Max began to whistle a jaunty tune slightly off key.

And he left for the shuttle bay.

------
Stargazer Armory, Somewhere in the Hecatan Wastelands, Nidavellir

Maria looked up at her husband. “So how mad was Max at Alex?”

“Pretty steamed. But Alex was right.” Michael chuckled slightly, “Half his anger was probably over the fact that not only did he have to follow orders, those orders were the right thing to do.”

Maria smiled and watched as her husband checked out the armor Liz had made for him. He was so beautiful.

Michael smiled back at her, a slight leer in his eyes.

“Michael, this is not the time. I mean, we need to get ready. And….” She found herself walking over to him, placing her hands on his chest.

Kyle walked into the room, “Would you two get a room? Wait, let me change that. Can you postpone the festivities until later? I mean, we are what fifteen minutes to the target. Focus people.”

Michael shot a glare at Kyle, “And if it were Tess here, standing before you. How would your focus be?”

“Buddha save me, I am glad that she’s not.” Kyle looked at Maria, “You know you don’t have to do this, sis. You don’t have to prove yourself to anyone.”

Maria glared at Kyle, “I’m not. I am protecting an important investment.”

Kyle looked at the ceiling, “Stargazer, do you have a way to cool these two off?”

“Yes, Kyle. I could trigger the local fire suppressant. But I am afraid you would also be caught in the affect. Shall I proceed?”.

Kyle looked at them and grumbled, walking over to his own custom heavy armor.

Michael sighed, “He is right you know. You don’t have to come.”

“I want to. It is not like I am made of glass or something.”

Michael slid one hand down her body, lingering slightly over some of the more prominent curves. “Nope, not glass.”

Maria purred and leaned into his body. “I wish we had just a little free time….”

“When we get back, Maria….”

Maria and Michael kissed for just a moment before breaking apart. Michael smiled and began to finish checking his armor.

Maria reluctantly began to do the same to her lighter armor.

There was a part of her that wished the whole world would just go away. That she could have just a few more precious minutes with Michael.

For she’d had the eerie feeling that she would never see him again.

That she wouldn’t be coming back.

Maria shook her head and focused on the task at hand. No point in useless superstition.

But underneath her courage, underneath her focus, the feeling remained.

Maria Deluca-Guerin would not leave Stormhold alive.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Sorcerer and the Stargazer (AU Teen) Part 16 - 12/29/08

Post by PML »

RhondaAnn- Don't worry I have plans for Maria. But she is right in a way.

Alex is in a bit of a daze at a moment, just absorbing all of the crazy shifts in world view. He is rolling with the punches at the moment. And yes, Serena was congratulating Alex on his impending fatherhood.

Disclaimer- The characters of Roswell are not mine. No infringement is intended. For good and ill, the plot and the cast of extras are mine.

The Sorcerer and the Stargazer part 17

Outside of Stormhold, Hecatan Wastlands, Nidavellir

Nicholas rubbed his eyes. If only he had some human artillery, he could smash the damn Dwarven citadel he was stuck outside of. As it was, he and his forces were hiding out the daylight, waiting for the welcoming darkness to renew their assault.

The sky was overcast, but even the weak sunlight that brightened the skies filled fear in too many of his men. Many years of living in the well-lit human world had cured him of such cowardice.

He sighed and took another look at the citadel through his binoculars. How long would the Council be content to wait on his success?

He wanted it so bad. A place on the Council, power, and Ava. He would have to take her at least once before the charms he was given tamed her. Perhaps he wouldn’t even need them in time.

Perhaps she would truly love him in time.

He heard someone creeping up to the ridgeline to view Stormhold with him. He looked and saw Regin clambering up the hill. His heavy robe was festooned with owl feathers and his heavy staff was of some dark wood.

Nicholas himself was dressed in the latest Desert/Wasteland pattern Camouflage.

Regin was the Council’s watchdog. And Nicholas’s chief Wizard for this campaign.

“Nicholas, what are you doing about in this, this awful light. One break in the clouds and you’ll have some nasty burns.”

Nicholas looked up at the heavy clouds. “Planning our attack for the night. Besides these clouds are thick enough. It’ll probably rain soon.” He shrugged.

“Well, young man, I know you think I’m some old bent twig. I already know how we will break Stormhold.” He pointed at a large hill some three miles away.

“Hrimgar’s Hill? Is there some hidden passage or weapon hidden there?”

Regin laughed. “No young one, I will wake Hrimgar!”

“A hill? You are going to wake a hill?”

“You have been amongst the humans for too long. You have learned much from them. Knowledge that we on the Council value…. But you have forgotten much. Hrimgar was a Giant in the First War. It is not till the eve of Ragnarok that he will awaken and lead his brethren against the Aesir. And now with the power we now have from the Tower we will wake them. It is he who will batter down the walls of Stormhold.”

“When will you start the spell?”

“It is done. All I need do is speak the final words and he awakens. I finished right before I came here. Right after sunset I presume?”

Nicholas looked at the elder Dokkalfar with respect and nodded.

But there was a nagging sense of something wrong. A sound. A familiar sound.

Not a Nidavellir sound.

Nicholas shook his head and started to head back to his headquarters to continue his planning. A Giant, particularly one from the First War would be a formidable asset. For the Jotnari were unsurpassed at two things. Building and destroying structures.

Stormhold’s walls, no matter how well constructed would fall to the Jotuns might.

But he was stopped in his tracks as Regin’s voice. For there was a trace of fear in his voice. Regin was no Marcus Frostfire, but the old warhorse had fought valiantly against the Ljosalfar for centuries before Nicholas had been born.

“Nicholas? What is that thing?”

Nicholas spun around to see a giant skyship floating into the long valley Stormhold dominated. Not a Nidavellir sound. A Midgard sound. One he had grown so familiar with he had not even thought.

Engine noises. Jet engines.

He raised the binoculars again to look at the ship. The Stargazer. It had recently left American service. How had….

“Max Evans!” Nicholas followed by a string of curses in every language he knew. But while he cursed he grabbed Regin by the arm and dragged him out of sight. With any luck they hadn’t been searching….

“A Max Evans? Isn’t he one of Zan’s bastards?”

“Look Regin, I need you to gather all of your wizards and summon up an ice fog. That will mess up their sensors. We attack once that is set.”

“But sunset is two hours off?”

“How he did I will never know, but Max Evans has brought reinforcements for Stormhold. And what he seeks to do I oppose. Can you wake Hrimgar now?”

Regin nodded.

“Then go! Raise the fog and then wake him. We have run out of time!”

-----
Stargazer CIC, Above Stormhold, Nidavellir

Liz spoke to Alex on the Bridge and Kyle on the Assault shuttle. “We have reached the target. No enemies sighted at this time. Launching drones now.”

Kyle spoke up, “Captain can we lift off? If we are as pressed for time as you say….”

Liz objected, “Captain, I don’t have a complete assessment of what might be down there. It might be a trap!”

“Doubtful, Captain, there is no way they could be expecting us. And Lizzie, you would have picked up active scan signatures.”

“Kyle, there are tons of caves down there. They could be crawling with the enemy.” Liz turned to Tess who sat in one of the chairs in the CIC. “Tess, can the Dokkalfar operate at all during the day?”

“Yes, um, how durable is this cloud cover?”

Liz closed her eyes and accessed her weather satellites. “Days. These clouds will last days. Kyle, no matter what, you can probably expect rain.”

“Great we’ll pack umbrellas. Captain, can we launch?’

------
Stargazer Bridge, Over Stormhold, Nidavellir

Alex smiled slightly. “Kyle, you are go for deployment. Lizzie will act as your guardian angel.”

“As always. Thanks in advance Saint Lizzie.”

“Oh, thanks Kyle. Captain, permission to launch a couple of combat drones for cover for my feckless groundpounder friend. And activate standard Valkyrie profile.”

“Permission granted. Good luck, Kyle.”

Lieutenant Martinez chuckled. “They haven’t changed.”

Alex looked up from his monitors and grinned at Martinez, “And that is a good thing.”

Martinez nodded.

Both of them turned again to watch their monitors. Both were experienced to know that diligence was necessary even when everything looked like it was going your way.

That had a habit of changing rapidly.

-------
Abandoned Temple to Heimdall, Antar, Alfheim

Isabel watched as Kvar used his powers to forge a sapphire ring. A ring to possess Liz Parker’s soul. How this would help Kvar, Isabel wasn’t sure But the thought of betraying Max….

How much was Kvar going to be able to steal from her? How many people was she going to be forced to betray?

Siyan stood next to her and watched Kvar with hateful eyes. She had shared what she had learned in Nidavellir.

Isabel’s heart had once been a Jotun’s. Did it taint her? Did it make her evil?

Would it harm her child?

Siyan snorted, “What good is this human chit going to be to you, Kvar? The magic they possess is so frail compared to the other races.”

“Perhaps. But things change, my dear. The spell you and your friend languish under is human sorcery. Old ancient human sorcery, known only to those pathetic creatures in their myths. If they only knew! They still talk of demons and genies and no longer realize they are real. Fire Giants. The main gate to Muspell is a little valley in the ruins of their ‘Holy Land’. Ha! At least they know their doom awaits for them their at Mount Meggido.”

“Armageddon,” Isabel whispered.

“Surt will open the long sealed door and lead his troops to the Bifrost Bridge and from there to Asgard.”

“You seem awfully comfortable with that. You plan on ruling, but what will be left?”

Kvar smiled his most beguiling smile. The smile that had once fooled her. “When the other gods are dead, I will take their place.”

-----
Outside the Walls of Stormhold, Hecatan Wastelands, Nidavellir

Maria was watching carefully the surrounding area. It was quiet and a heavy fog was moving in. She wasn’t sure why but the fog made her nervous.

Max, Michael, and Kyle were arguing over where the entrance was. The walls seemed seamless, the rock solid in every direction. She was glad of the other two Marines with them.

At least someone else was being watchful.

But then so was Lizzie. She was their eyes in the sky, and maybe Kyle was too used to her support.

Part of her wondered if the doors weren’t sealed because of Kyle. In his heavy armor he did not look human at all. More like some silly Japanese techno knight from one of Alex’s anime.

Of course, she had seen him use that plasma gun on the firing range. He might look silly, but that gun was plain lethal. And heavy.

Maria had to make do with a gauss carbine. Liz sure did know how to make good weapons.

Now her lingerie line, well that needed work. Maria already had some plans that she had sketched out to surprise Michael…”

Liz’s voice sounded loud in her ear, “Look alive down there. You are not alone. There are at least dozens moving on your position. Assumption is they are hostile.”

Michael shook his head, “The Dwarves are bottled up tight. No wonder the doors barred.”

Alex’s voice came over, “Kyle, I am leaning to scrub this mission until we get a better idea of…”

Maria stopped paying attention to Alex as the ground began to heave. She caught herself right before she fell. After the brief earthquake stopped , she quipped, “Well I for one vote for returning to the ship.”

She watched as all the color faded from Max and Michael’s face.

“What?”

“Hel and Nifleheim,” came Michael uttered.

“Are you all okay down there? Get in the shuttle and we’ll figure something out.”

Max calmly said, “That may not be an option.”

At Maria’s questioning look, Max pointed. Maria turned around. The ground began to tremble again, if not as severely.

And Maria saw why. A humanoid figure around three hundred feet tall was walking toward them.

“My God.”

It was about then that the gale force winds hit them.

They were trapped.

-------
Abandoned Temple to Heimdall, Antar, Alfheim

Kvar finished his ring and smiled at both of them. “My plans are near completion. I have final tasks for each of you. You Siyan must travel to the Temple of Ascension on Vanaheim.”

“Kvar there is no way I can reach it! It is too far.”

Kvar’s grin only expanded, “For this and for this only you may use your true form, Siyan. I will expect you to be waiting for me in two days. In your current form. I will contact you and you will open a portal.”

Siyan’s face was full of chagrin and she looked sideways at Isabel.

Siyan’s true form? As far as Isabel knew, the Vaenir didn’t even have a fylgia form.

“For you, Vilandra, the task is simple. Wait here. Your old human lover will arrive in a few days. You must join him. He must suspect nothing. You must approach Liz Parker. When you do, you will break this stick. It will open a portal to my location. And make sure he brings the Granolith with him. I will need it later.”

“And you? They will never trust me with you here. Not now. Not if my brother is involved.”

“I have a bauble of my own to pick up. Something… special.” He began to walk away, before he turned back towards Isabel. He lay one hand on her shoulder.

She resisted the urge to shake it off.

Suddenly her knees buckled and she began to shudder. With pleasure. Her whole body began to fill to the brim with pleasure. His hand left her shoulder as she fell to the floor convulsing with rapture.

Kvar stood over her, a superior look pasted on his face. “Remember, my dear, I can bring pleasure as easily as I can pain.“ He changed into his tiger form and lopped into the blizzard, his white fur blending in seamlessly.

Isabel was worn out, her nerves overloaded. Siyan helped her to her feet.

“Be careful Isabel. That last trick is as deadly as sweetened poison.”

Isabel flopped her head up and down in agreement. That had been impossible. Obviously supernatural.

But it had felt so good….

She shook her head clear, trying not to remember the last few moments. “What did he mean your true form?”

Siyan sighed and backed a few feet off. And rippled. In her place was a serpentine form with four legs, each tipped with three talons.

A dragon.

Siyan was a dragon. A dragon with bronze scales and large copper eyes.

Fear poured through her. Dragons were notoriously evil, their very breath poison.

Isabel tried to hold her breath as she backed away. She tripped over some old masonry and gasped as she fell.

Instead of poison she smelled cinnamon. Cinnamon… and rose petals.

“I’m not what you think I am. I am not a lindwyrm or a dragon, I’m a, well I guess it doesn’t really matter does it. You wouldn’t recognize it.” There was a thoughtful pause, “I guess the closest thing you would recognize me by is a Chinese or Japanese dragon. I’m not really one of them, but they’re close cousins to my kind.”

“How?….”

“It was as I told you. The Jotnari captured me in a raid. They forced me into that form. Though I have to admit I have grown fond of it. I wanted to tell you, but… Well I didn’t want to lose your friendship, and to be honest I never thought it would ever matter.”

“And now?”

“We try to accomplish our tasks. But Isabel, keep vigilant. Kvar will make a mistake soon. I can feel it. Just promise me you will strive to free me if you escape. I swear that I will do my utmost to free you if I can.”

“I promise.”

“Remember, my friend, be vigilant!” And she drifted out into the night. Although she had no wings she flew effortlessly though the air.

It was like she was… swimming… through the air.

Isabel sat down and prepared to wait yet again. She was filled with delight and anguish.

For she would see Alex again.

And betray him.

She pulled out a whetstone and sharpened Calatin. She hoped Siyan was right. For she ached to cut Kvar to little pieces.

And she would. If she could only break free she would.

-----
Stargazer CIC, Over Stormhold, Nidavellir

Liz stared in shock as the large hill stood up and moved. Her mind was still moving in millions of ways through the complex workings of the Stargazer.

But there was a tiny part of her that just could not believe what she was seeing. It was physically impossible!

A list of the laws of physics the creature was breaking grew longer as winds began to buffet the Stargazer.

She tried in vain to stabilize her many drones in the sudden gale force winds. But so many were dashed against the rocks and broken. One by one her digital eyes went dark.

Naturally the enemy attacked her friends now.

Liz seethed in frustration as she worked out a way to save her friends.

But it wasn’t until the first solid blow of ice against the Stargazer that she realized she needed to worry about herself as well.

-----
Before the Walls of Stormhold, Hecatan Wastelands, Nidavellir

For a brief moment Maria felt despair as she saw a sickly green glow hit the Stargazer, coating a section of the ship in ice.

But then her ‘cyber’ self took over. For they were under attack as well.

Primitive humanoids began spilling across the valley floor flooding towards them, all under the cover of arrows.

Arrows!?!

Easy to scoff at until one lucky shot hit Sanders. Maria kept shooting, but she saw as he reached for the arrow that jutted out of his neck.

His hand never got there. He froze solid. Into a black ice statue that unbalanced fell.

Fell and shattered.

Maria fought on.

From Max came blast after blast of flame. The few who escaped him faced Michael who, with pistol in one hand and sword in the next dispatched enemy after enemy. From time to time his sword would light up and flame would strike some unsuspecting group of foes.

But despite all their valor, it was Kyle who broke them. Stupid looking armor or not, he was unbeatable. He fired his plasma gun into crowds of trolls and they exploded in gore. From his shoulders grenades returned along the path of the arrows to liven the lives of the hidden archers.

The thermo-baric warheads were quite a surprise to the Dokkalfar. The hills began to erupt with fire.

And the arrows began to slow down.

But not stop.

For one fated arrow struck Maria’s right hand just above her gloves. Such a small hole in her defenses.

But it was enough.

The gun fell from her frozen hand and her breath was literally stolen as she became so painfully cold. For a moment she blacked out and….

She stood up in a valley, much like the one she had been in. Only it was full of life, with verdant grass and fragrant flowers.

There was a woman standing there as if waiting for her. She was tall and golden. Her blue eyes were flawless jewels in a flawless setting. She was the most beautiful woman she had ever seen.

“You have pleased me, daughter. I claim you. But, not I think just yet.”

Maria sputtered as she awoke, a foul and warm brew stinging in her throat. As she coughed her lungs felt full of agony. She felt as a chilly pain spread from her arm and shoulder into her chest.

“Max, there has to be something, anything you can do!” Michael cried.

Kyle stood over them, their enemies dispersed for the moment. But the gale still blew.

Max sounded exhausted and defeated, “Michael, I am spent. I can’t, I just can’t.” He slumped to the ground. “I’ve done, done what I could. I, I couldn’t break the spell. Maybe, maybe if I weren’t so….”

Maria gazed up into Michael’s beautiful eyes. Why was he so scared, so sad?

She herself couldn’t feel much. Sure there was pain, terrible horrific pain as the ice slowly ate at her. And it was spreading. She couldn’t feel her feet any more. And it was eating at her legs.

Michael had always liked her legs. And she had loved wrapping them around him. Pulling him closer, pulling him deeper within her.

She would miss that. She would miss him.

“I… l,love….you….” she got out. Why was her voice so weak, so shaky? She wanted to shout her love from the rooftops, from the very heavens!

“Oh, baby, don’t leave me!”

Maria tried to smile. But it was so hard.

Kyle finally spoke, “Buddha save us. I hope you are right, Lizzie.” Kyle looked down at the others, “Whatever you do, if you value your sight, don’t look west.”

Maria was still confused as Michael covered her frozen body.

He was so warm. So warm and alive.

Her eyes fluttered with the strain of keeping them open. She was so tired, so cold.

But she just wanted to be with him for just a little longer.

The world was suddenly full of a warm white light.

------
Stargazer CIC, Above Stormhold, Nidavellir

Liz was angry. In fact anger did not even begin to describe her wrath. This thing was stopping her from saving Maria.

She had lost too many friends over the years. She wasn’t going to lose Maria.

No. Not going to happen.

Except the damn beast wouldn’t die. She’d been blasting away with her cannon, even the spinal mounted gauss cannon that was her ships main gun had no effect.

It just made it mad.

Not that its blasts of wind or lightning or ice were having much effect on the Stargazer either. Sure, she had sustained a little damage. But it wasn’t anything she couldn’t easily repair.

Then it came to her. Her threats to slag Denver. She had meant them.

“Captain, request permission for Arc Light.”

-----
Stargazer Bridge, Above Stormhold, Nidavellir

Alex stared at the screen that showed him Liz. Lieutenant Martinez looked at Alex in shock.

Alex wasn’t far behind.

“Are you serious Lizzie?”

“Yes, Captain. Request permission for Arc Light.”

He bowed his head for a moment. He was aware of Maria’s precarious condition himself. He wasn’t sure how this would help.

But if Liz was sure….

There had been a time when there would have been several keys required. And long authorization codes to authorize use of nuclear weapons. But there were so few people left, and so much was automated….

“Executive Officer Parker, you are hereby authorized to utilize nuclear armaments. Fire at will.”

------
Outside of Stormhold, Hecatan Wastelands, Nidavellir

Nicholas watched with his binoculars the scene below. If only he had a sniper rifle. Of course, that damn armor probably had anti-sniper capabilities. It had certainly wiped out his archers.

Many of his units had not been destroyed, but they were a broken force at the moment. Unwilling to face the strange invaders.

And Nicholas couldn’t really blame them. He would have to force them to regroup and attack again at some point. But he could not blame them their fear.

They were horribly out gunned.

He turned his sight on the skyship that hovered over the valley engaged in a seemingly fruitless battle with the storm giant in the valley below.

Neither seemed able to hurt the other enough to vanquish them. He wondered how long the two combatants could face off before one of them would have to withdraw.

Days probably.

Hmm, why are armored plates sliding across the observatory bubbles now? They had not armored up when they started to fight against Hrimgar.

Nicholas paled as he thought of one reason. “Regin we need to take cover!”

Nicholas did not wait for the older wizard. He was behind a boulder when he looked up and saw Regin still glancing behind him at the battle.

And that is how he would remember him, framed in the bright argent glow coming from the valley.

As bright as the sun.

Regin turned to ice water and died. The shockwave threw his staff and sodden clothing off into the distance.

And then only the distant cries of pain from Hrimgar, followed again by a bright argent glow. The winds howled again and died.

And the winds died.

Hrimgar was dead.

Nicholas thought again at all the dead human cities. At all the dead humans.

He needed to get back home and warn them.

The humans were here.

And they were armed.

Nicholas doubted they would show any mercy. He had certainly never had given them any.

He crawled off into the night. Dreams of power and glory gone. Replaced by nightmares of the Dokkalfar cities reduced to cinders.

He had to hurry!
------
Stargazer ICU, Above Stormhold, Nidavellir

Liz stared at Maria as the robots swarmed over her, fighting her icy cancer.

Over fifty percent of her body had been converted to ice. Many of her major organs had been at least partially compromised.

Without drastic intervention, even with the best medical care, Maria would die.

But there was one option.

She only hoped Maria would forgive her.

Liz had promised.

But she couldn’t let her die…. Particularly not in the light of her new information.

Liz gave the order and the nanites began their work….
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Sorcerer and the Stargazer (AU Teen) Part 17 - 01/04/09

Post by PML »

Thanks to all who are still reading this. Hope you enjoy. Next part they deal with the Tower.

RhondaAnn- Yes, Maria is being fixed up by Liz. Unfortunately Maria was very badly injured and that means nanite support and cybernetic implants to make sure everything works. It might mean more for Maria, but the whole idea has scared her silly for a very long time.

I guess you could call that woman an angel of death of sorts. She is important to the story, and quite a bit that is happening is partly her responsibility. Trust me when I say it will be explained, partially in either the next part, more later as the story wraps up.

Thanks for reading.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

The Sorcerer and the Stargazer part 18

Jim Valenti stared at the screens watching as one by one the cities of Earth fell to the enemy. He felt helpless watching as mankind was slowly being wiped out.

The fact that he was safe here on the moon, protected by all the armaments that Liz had quietly built up here. None of them were truly long range, but anything approaching Armstrong by either land or space was in for a rough ride.

Liz was quite thorough.

His kids made him so proud. Kyle was his by blood and Maria by marriage, but he thought of Alex and Liz as his as well. Watching as they had grown into the capable people they were, and who were sadly prescient on how bad things would get.

He seriously doubted they had imagined elves. Or giants. Or undead monsters. Or…. It was too much.

But Armstrong had not been made just for protecting Earth, but rather reclaiming it if necessary. And it would be necessary now. Roswell was gone. Monterrey holding on for dear life. A couple other European and Asian strongholds remained, but so much had fallen.

Even the American forces had been pushed back to Colorado Springs and Cheyenne Mountain.

Liz’s plan Omega was in the works. It was perhaps the most dire of all of her plans, requiring as it did the forcible reclamation of Earth. With a touch of the button he saw the hulls of two new jumpships that would be the vanguard of assault.

He’d had a few arguments with Amy about the whole plan. The idea of taking those adorable toddlers running rampant down in Arcadia and training them into the cadre for an assault on Earth in twenty years was very sobering and sad.

But unless something changed it would be necessary.

The sudden vision of Faith Whitman grown up and commanding from the bridge of the Alexander…. Taking the place of her parents. Parents she would never see.

“Oh, Alex, at least give us some sign you’re all alive….”

He felt the soft hands of his wife rub his shoulders. “It will be okay. Just wait. Those kids…. They’re special. All of them. So do you want to see your new grandson.”

“Grandson?”

“Well Lizzie sent me some more material to work with. You know that nurse Kyle used to talk about? The one stationed in Germany?”

Jim nodded.

“Liz sent me her genetic profile. And well you probably know the rest. He’s kind of small, probably need another eight months before we can decant him, but….”

He looked again at Earth. He himself would likely never set foot on it again. But his descendants would.

And they would reclaim it.

He got up and hugged his wife and let her lead him to the pod in which his grandson had been created.

------
Hecatan Wastelands, Nidavellir

Nicholas shifted back into his human form to rest a bit. He had been on the run for hours since the disastrous defeat at Stormhold.

Who ever or whatever in charge of the Stargazer had not been in a forgiving mood. Nicholas had heard explosions and cannon fire on his long retreat. He just had to get out of the drones range and he would be safe.

What the Council would do to him for a failure of this magnitude he wasn’t sure. But they probably wouldn’t kill him. They would need his knowledge to protect themselves.

It would be many years before he could expect another shot at a Council seat however.

Part of him wanted to just hide. To run away and save his own skin. But visions of a blasted Dokkheim,… He had seen human cities that had been destroyed, had seen the blasted remains of New York and Boston.

He only hoped the Council had some way to protect themselves, or someway to hide their people.

He heard a scraping sound as someone climbed into the cave he was hiding in. Nicholas readied his sword and prepared a quick spell.

It was a tall and coldly beautiful woman. He recognized her from his brief time at the Tower.

“Domina TedorI?”

The Jotnari woman smiled and Nicholas could feel a thrill run through his body. Nicholas couldn’t help his eyes wander up her lush figure to stare into her nearly colorless blue eyes.

“It is good to see you Nicholas. And in such good spirits considering the situation.” She walked up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

In all of his time in the Tower she never touched him or any of the other ‘inferior’ races. His heart began to race and he felt himself respond to her. There was a tiny voice telling him that something was wrong, that she was doing something to him. Something he might regret later.

“I need to report back to the Council. The humans have brought one of their ships here. It could cause a lot of damage.”

“Humans and their worthless toys! They have all been swept away and the dross will be finished off in short order. Thanks in part to you. You Dokkalfar are amusing enough that we might keep some of you around for a little while.”

Nicholas could feel himself bridling. He felt himself fighting against her. But part of him wanted to give in. He would never have Ava now. She hated what he stood for, and she was the only woman he had ever cared for….

Why resist.

That tiny voice, the voice of his distant Alfar ancestors before the split between light and dark….. Because she will corrupt and destroy your soul…. The Jotnari are evil.

So much of learning to be a Ice Wizard was about ignoring that little voice in pursuit of anything that might lead to greater knowledge and power. To listen only to the more recent ancestors and their knowledge and whispers of power….

But the voice was never gone, and from time to time it would rise up and try to defend the soul of one of its distant descendants.

On Alfheim, the local vaettir would likely have helped. The Jotnari had despoiled much of creation before their defeat in the Fist War. Even on Midgard, the local vaettir would have whispered softly in support of resistance. Humans wouldn’t be able to hear it, but many would feel themselves strengthened against direct enchantment. The land has a long memory.

But this was Nidavellir, and had long been contested between the forces of Light and Dark. And they were so close to the Tower. The existence of which was poisoning Nidavellir.

Nicholas would receive no help. It would just be him against an evil ancient supernatural being.

Tedori continued, “and I think I want you as a pet. Yes. You can tell me of the nasty human toys. It might take years for me to tire of you….” She stared deep into his eyes and laughed. It wasn’t a pleasant laugh, part contempt and part lust. “You do want me don’t you. But not as much as you want….”

Her form and face began to melt into another form. A familiar form. Ava Frostfire stood before him in all her glory, only a slight smirk betraying the Jotnari hidden within… “All you really want is her. Come on hero. Claim your prize…” Even her voice was Ava’s soft sweet voice. She kissed him and when they broke, their bodies pressed close. “You know that I have always loved you, that I secretly always wanted only you….”

And Nicholas greedily kissed her, silencing the voice inside of him.

Hours later when they approached the Tower, there was no concern left for his people. All that mattered was keeping Tedori happy. The fact that one day she would tire of him and eat him body and soul did not faze him in the least. She was all that mattered.

But deep within, the voice remained….

-----
Stormhold, Hecatan Wastelands, Nidavellir.

Michael watched with unshed tears as the Valkyrie Medical Transport lifted off carrying his love. It hurt. Better that it had been him.

It would hurt so much less. How had he come through without a scratch when Maria….

Max placed a hand on his arm, “Hey, why don’t you go be with her. I’ll be fine. Go be with Maria.”

“I need to see this done. Max, I have to know that it was worth it. That what we are doing is worth it. That her life….”

Kyle’s voice came over his headset, “Hey don’t count my sister out of this yet. She’s tough. And if anyone can patch her up it would be Liz and the Stargazer.”

Michael merely grunted and stared at the wall in front of him. Was there a seam….

A gate opened widely in what had seemed moments before, solid rock. Strolling out of the darkness was a man of middle height with ice blue eyes and blonde hair. He had seen portraits of him before, the most famous being his signing of the Truce that had begun the Peace between the Dokkalfar and Ljosalfar.

A sense of crisp cold seemed to waft from him.

Marcus Frostfire.

Michael drew his blade once more and prepared to die. Max was spent. And surely Kyle wouldn’t be able to stand up to the most powerful Dokkalfar ever spawned?

Marcus looked amusedly at Michael before saying something in some ancient tongue to Max.

Max just stared tiredly at Marcus and softly replied in the same language.

What Kyle or Everett thought of the situation was any guess. The surviving Marine was gathering Sander’s dog tags. Kyle was enigmatic in his heavy anime style armor.

“Well done gentlemen! Now where is this Alex Whitman. We have much to plan and not a lot of time. Oh yes, and Kyle send my regards to my daughter and to Ms. Parker. And Kyle, you had best be a better husband to my daughter than this distinguished nithling beside you.” He turned to face Max, “And I know and understand what was involved, but you still hurt my daughter. And that I will be slow to forget. But worry not, my friends. For that is what we are now at the end of things. Come in, come in! My Dvergar friends have laid a feast for us.” He moved slightly out of the way, beckoning for them to enter.

Michael looked back at the Stargazer.

Max spoke up, “Go to her. I’ll be fine.”

“I should…”

Marcus Frostfire spoke again, “My daughter and the Captain will be arriving shortly. Take their vessel back to the ship.” He paused a moment and fished something out of his pocket, muttering to himself. “Yes, yes, there it is. Here, Michael Rathsson, take this cordial with my blessing. It will speed your wife’s recovery.” He handed it to Max.

Michael looked in askance at Max.

Max rubbed his forehead tiredly and waved his hand over the bottle…. He looked up at Marcus, “Is this….”

“Yes, I procured it years ago to heal my own wife. But she was too proud to take it. We were divorced you see, and she wanted nothing to do with such a disgraceful figure as myself. It is as much a gift to Ms Parker as to your wife. I owe her for patching up my daughter, and I owe your wife for saving her life.” He looked down, “And I know what it is like to lose someone you love. So go to her. For she will need you. And your love.”

Max wondrously placed the vial in Michael’s hand and smiled at his friend. “Go on, I will be fine, Michael.”

Michael weighed the small potion in his hand and looked suspiciously at Marcus, “Why are you doing this? You and my father were dire enemies. Max’s father, too. What do you get out of all of this?”

Marcus’s gaze was still on the ground, “I want the world to be a place my grandchildren can thrive. More so now that I am sure I will actually have some,” Marcus smiled at Kyle. “Second it is the right thing to do for my people, and while my people may have abandoned me, I have not abandoned my people. Ah, but such noble things can not be the true reason from one who was once the enemy of all that was good, can it now.”

Michael glowered at him, grateful, but suspicious of this man who he’d only hear ill of.

Marcus regarded him sagely. “What if I gave you a quest, a task that you must complete to quit you of any obligation for that potion? Would that be enough for you?” He did not wait for Michael to answer, “Here is a letter for Karyn Haraldsdottir. I will not bother you with the contents, those are strictly between Karyn and I. But I swear that that will acquit you of any obligation to me.” He held the letter for Michael to grab.

Michael stood there and took the letter. He did not want to be in debt to this man.

Marcus smiled and gestured to the rest of the party, “Come now, the food is getting cold. Both Alex and Tess should be here momentarily….

One by one the others trickled into Stormhold, even Kyle.

Michael watched as the flitter left the Stargazer and came ever closer. In one hand he weighed the letter, in the other the vial.

The ship that would bring him back to Maria. Bring him back to his dying wife, a possible cure in hand.

-----
Stargazer ICU, Above Stormhold, Nidavellir

Liz sighed as she saw Maria after all the ice had been cut away. The fight had been costly, but she had finally tracked down the last of the ice lurking in her ribs.

Maria had had fifty-eight percent of her body converted to ice. Michael’s ring must have helped somehow because that arm was the only natural limb she had left. Both her legs and her right arm were gone. Both her heart and lungs were badly compromised. Maria’s face was drawn, but very little had attacked her head.

Liz had protected her brain and as much of her spinal cord as she could. Everything could be rebuilt. She might have been able to save a larger portion of her heart if Liz had not found a little surprise implanted in Maria’s womb.

Maria was pregnant.

Liz would have to move slowly so as to not damage the little bundle of cells.

Liz sighed as she watched Michael stomp through the ship. First he had gone to the observatory that the Ljosalfar refugees congregated in. He handed a letter to a woman.

And then began to run towards the Medical Bay.

And Maria.

What would his reaction be to Liz’s actions. She hadn’t really thought what Michael would think about Maria being a cyber. Would he still love her?

She physically moved to the ICU to directly talk to him. He didn’t trust the remotes.

The man simply had no trust in him. He trusted Max and Maria. And grudgingly he was starting to trust her and Kyle.

And Alex. He trusted Alex. But then everyone trusted Alex.

He was the Captain.

Door after door opened to Michael’s rush to see his wife. She watched from the vidcams as he ran down the last hallway to where she lay.

And watched as he stopped and looked at what was left of his wife, thick fibers clinging to her torso, the outlines of the new bones being knit by the medical nanites. She watched from several cameras and her own eyes as he turned to her.

“Is she?”

“She’ll live. But she will need you Michael. She will need you more than ever.”

Michael watched as bits and pieces were visibly being built onto Maria. Already the main bone structure was built and flesh was being constructed around it. “She’ll be a cyber won’t she?”

“Yes.”

“She might never forgive you. She has feared this.”

“Too bad. She can hate me all she wants. I love her too much to let her die.” Liz shook her head slightly, “And Michael, there is more.”

Michael stared at her expectantly.

Liz just looked at him, “Congratulations, you are going to be a daddy.”

“What?”

“Maria is pregnant.”

“That is not possible. She never would have endangered….”

“Michael, there is no way she could have known. Fertilization must have occurred in the last couple of days, probably during your honeymoon. I only know because my nanites were swimming in her blood. The hormones were just starting to be released. And I will be damned if I let this baby die. If necessary I would have pulled it from her womb and built a vat to let it grow in. Trust me, I might not have designed them, but I helped build the ones in Armstrong, so I could do it.”

“But she’ll be a cyber….”

Liz looked at her friend under construction, “Look, what I am, what Kyle is, what Maria will be, it is a new thing. But even Kyle is mostly flesh and blood. There are implants to regulate things, but the only thing I can not rapidly replace is bone tissue. Aside from her bones she will be much like she was. She’ll just be more aware of her body. And if she wants other things. I won’t force that on her, but it will be there. But she will be scared. She was always afraid this would happen to her. And now it has.”

Liz placed a hand on his, “Maria will need you now more than ever.”

“How long.”

“Sixteen hours. She should wake then. But… she will feel your presence long before. I will send some food and blankets.” She stopped and looked at him, “Unless you don’t plan to stay with her.”

Michael shot her a withering glance.

Liz just smiled, “I didn’t think so.” And she left.

-----

Michael sat down with a sigh. He lifted up the little vial to the light.

If only he had been faster. He would like to have blamed Liz, but he couldn’t. Liz could not have known that he might get a magical cure for Maria.

And in truth, had she waited Maria might have died.

Michael shivered at the thought. The pain he had felt when he had thought he had lost her was still fresh.

No he was happy that Liz had decided to save Maria. He just wished that he could have gotten this faster and avoided all of this.

For it would be hard on Maria.

What did it mater to him that she would be part machine? He was part Alfar and she hadn’t cared, even though he had hid it from her for years.

He had loved her then. He loved her now. And he would love her in the future.

Michael waited and watched as his love was rebuilt layer by layer in front of his very eyes.