Alien Sky: Shapeshifters Sequel - AU YTEEN[COMPLETE]

Finished stories set in an alternate universe to that introduced in the show, or which alter events from the show significantly, but which include the Roswell characters. Aliens play a role in these fics. All complete stories on the main AU with Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

Kathy W
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Kathy W »

Hello to everyone reading!

kittens: Bingo. ;)

PART SEVENTY-SEVEN

July 12, 1947, 17:30 hours

Eagle Rock Military Base

Lieutenant Spade walked in step with Major Cavitt, staring at the double doors ahead. He was facing what appeared to be a relatively small building, tucked away in a corner of the base. The base was huge, and there were several similar buildings, many of which appeared largely abandoned, and most of which were used for storage. The only indication that this particular building didn’t fit that profile were the two guards outside the doors, both equipped with tranquilizer rifles. He’d never paid much attention to any of these unused buildings. Perhaps he should start.

When they reached the doors, Spade and Cavitt both presented their passes to one of the guards, who checked them against a list of personnel allowed inside and waved them on. “Security is very tight,” Cavitt said, as they walked through the double doors. “This operation is so covert that it doesn’t even have a name. This,” he continued, gesturing back toward the doors they had just passed, “is the first of two major checkpoints. The second is located at the entrance to the basement. No one, not even a Brigadier General, will be allowed through unless they have proper clearance.”

Spade nodded wordlessly, looking down the long, perfectly normal looking hallway that loomed ahead. “What’s on the ground floor?”

“Offices. Quarters for the military staff. The mess hall. A recreation room. This section has been transformed into a miniature, stand-alone base.”

And no expense has been spared, Spade thought, as they passed the aforementioned recreation room, complete with a brand new pool table, ping pong table, several tables for card playing, and other assorted amenities. Most soldiers would die for a rec room like that. Spade had the uncomfortable feeling that it was little more than a gilded cage.

“It is important that the ground floor look perfectly normal, even to other soldiers on the base,” Cavitt was saying. “Anyone visiting, making deliveries, and so forth should have no reason to suspect what’s at the basement level.”

“Which is?”

Cavitt stopped walking and turned to look at him. “The fruits of your labors…Lieutenant,” he added, extending his hand. “General Ramey signed the papers only an hour ago. Congratulations, Lieutenant Spade, on a second, well-deserved promotion. Your assistance proved invaluable to apprehending these dangerous creatures. Keep up the good work, and I promise you’ll be rewarded further.”

Spade swallowed, staring at the proffered hand for a longer period of time than etiquette allowed before accepting the handshake. He felt neither valuable nor rewarded; sick to his stomach was a more accurate description. If he weren’t so determined to undo what he had done, he would have resigned his commission right then and there.

“Thank you, sir,” Spade said, managing what he hoped was a pleased smile. “I certainly will keep up the good work.” Even if it’s not what you’re expecting.

“I’m sure you will,” Cavitt beamed, resuming the hike down the hall. “You know, I had my doubts about you. Turns out I was wrong. I’m not wrong very often, but it was nice to be wrong this time.”

Asshole, Spade thought sourly. The problem was, Cavitt hadn’t been wrong, and that was mighty annoying.

They had reached the end of the interminably long hallway. Cavitt headed through another set of double doors and down four flights of stairs, Spade trailing behind. At the bottom of the stairs were another set of double doors, this one more heavily guarded than the first. Both Spade and Cavitt not only had to show their passes and have their photographs checked, they also had to answer personal questions before they were allowed to pass.

“Good thing I remembered my brother’s middle name,” Spade muttered as they were ushered past the doors.

“We added the personal questions after Corporal Darron was attacked,” Cavitt said. “Those things can look like anybody, so we must take the most stringent precautions.”

They had emerged at the end of yet another long narrow hallway. “The basement is naturally more secure, so the holding area and medical facilities are down here,” Cavitt continued. “This used to be a medical facility, so it was relatively easy to upgrade in short order.”

Spade’s stomach tightened as they passed several shorter hallways and rows of tiled rooms. What kind of medical facility would be in a basement? He’d heard tales of victims of atomic testing being carefully hidden from public knowledge in secret medical facilities, tales the Army always denied. He’d always dismissed them as bunk, but now he found he couldn’t. It would have been easy to hide such victims in an underground facility like this one, just like they were hiding the aliens.

Cavitt marched cheerfully along, oblivious to Spade’s mood. “We’ve been in a bit of a holding pattern for the past couple of days. Thanks to you, we were successful much more quickly than I had hoped, so we had to rush in the equipment and supplies. Now that the renovations are nearly complete and we’ve captured both of the aliens, our work can finally begin.”

“Both aliens.” Spade shot a sideways look at Cavitt. Spade had said nothing about the other alien, or about the curiously absent Private Johnson, whom no one had see hide nor hair of. He had cajoled Cavitt’s agreeable secretary into looking up each and every Private Johnson on the base under the guise of looking for a long lost friend; none of their photos matched the man he had seen last night. Personnel transferred in and out all the time, though, so that didn’t prove Johnson was an alien. Still, if he wasn’t an alien, why hadn’t he come forward? And if he was an alien, why had he shot both of the others?

“Did you ever find out why the lights went out?” Spade asked, wondering how much Cavitt had discovered about what had really happened.

“No,” Cavitt answered, “but we did discover there was nothing wrong with our generators. They were still operating; for some reason, their power output was being blocked. It’s a good thing it stopped when it did—much longer, and the generators may have exploded. Ah…here we are.”

Cavitt ushered Spade down a side hallway bristling with guards all equipped with tranquilizer rifles, through a door and up a small flight of stairs into a small room, one entire wall of which was made of windows. Walking eagerly toward the windows, he gestured to Spade, who followed more slowly.

It was some kind of observation room, looking down on what appeared to be an old operating room, dingy looking with its gray tile. Two figures were stretched out on two tables, one short and gray, one human, both strapped down, both stark naked. Various white clad medical personnel clustered around them, their faces hidden by surgical masks, busy taking various samples from the bodies judging from the needles and knives flashing in the glare of the bright lights overhead. Spade looked away, his stomach turning.

“They will have to work quickly,” Cavitt was saying, indicating the medical personnel below. “Anything taken from the bodies, blood, tissue samples, bone samples”—Spade blanched—“..disintegrates within hours, and we never know how many hours. We’ve had them turn to dust in little over an hour, or last more than thirty. Terribly inconvenient,” he added darkly. “We have to keep coming back for more samples.”

Cavitt stared eagerly down at the disgusting scene below with an air of triumph and satisfaction that made Spade’s hands ball into fists of their own accord. He leaned those fists on the windowsill, staring through the window as though he were watching when he was really staring at one of the floor tiles. He couldn’t bear to watch, either the goings on in the room below or Cavitt’s gloating. Even if someone were convinced that the aliens were dangerous, they still had no business taking pleasure in their torture. That wasn’t standing by the flag—that was just plain sick.

“We won’t be able to wake them, of course,” Cavitt continued. “Pity, that. I should have liked a chance to interrogate them, but they’re simply too dangerous to have conscious.”

“Then…what are you going to do with them, sir?” Spade asked. He’d been counting on Cavitt not being able to resist waking the aliens; he was fairly certain there world be no way to hold them if they were conscious.

“We’ll keep them alive and sedated as long as we can,” Cavitt said matter-of-factly. “Hopefully we’ll be able to get a good long while out of them using tube feedings before they die. We’ll have to be prepared to conduct autopsies immediately, of course.”

Spade could feel bile rising in this throat. What was he going to do now? How could he possibly help them escape when they were in this condition?

“Now for the best part,” Cavitt continued. “I’m sure you’ll want to be a part of the first experiments on extraterrestrial life forms ever performed on this planet. It’s an honor I’ve extended to only a chosen few….and an honor you have earned twice over,” he added, as Spade winced inwardly. “As of 1900 hours, you will be assigned to this operation. Your responsibility will be the guarding of this compound, and the oversight of the men who carry out that task. Congratulations, Lieutenant!”

Cavitt saluted, smiling broadly. Spade returned the salute, trying, and failing, to also return the smile. This is what you wanted, he reminded himself sternly. He was determined to free the aliens and bring down Cavitt, not necessarily in that order. The first task had just gotten harder, but it wasn’t over yet. They’re not dead yet, Spade thought grimly. This won’t be over until they’re dead.

Another soldier appeared at the top of the stairs.

“Major? You have a visitor.”

The soldier stepped aside for the man who followed him, climbing the stairs to the observation room with an easy, loping stride. He was tall, tanned, and handsome; his dark hair matched the dark sunglasses he wore. His shirt sleeves were rolled up to just beneath his elbows, and he carried his uniform jacket casually over his arm, his hat in his hand. He exuded an aura of easy confidence, and his arrival produced an interesting reaction in Major Cavitt. Cavitt had stiffened, his hands had twitching into something suspiciously close to fists. The tension was so abrupt and so palpable that Spade shot a questioning glance at the announcing soldier, who shrugged and left the room.

“Sheridan!” the newcomer said easily, ignoring Cavitt’s aggressive demeanor and holding out his hand. “Nice to see you again!”

“It’s Major, actually,” Cavitt said frostily, ignoring the hand.

“Really?” The man retracted his hand with the air of one who had expected it to be rejected. “That is news! Congratulations! Oh, and it’s ‘Doctor’, actually. But you already knew that.”

The doctor broke off, staring at the windows behind them. Brushing past both Cavitt and Spade, he walked to the window and stood gazing down at the scene below, mesmerized.

“Would you look at that!” he breathed. “Incredible!”

“May I ask exactly what you’re doing here?” Cavitt said caustically.

The doctor turned, surprised. “Why, I’m here at your request, Sheridan.”

Spade’s eyes flicked from Cavitt to the doctor with interest. Was this the person he had summoned by rescuing that wadded up note from the wastebasket? He hadn’t imagined Cavitt would be on a first-name basis with anyone but his mother.

“What are you talking about?” Cavitt snapped. “I specifically said I didn’t want you here!”

The doctor sighed, and shook his head regretfully. “I admit, I was surprised when I heard you’d changed your mind. But no matter.” He smiled broadly. “I’m the new co-commander of this operation.”

Uh-oh. Spade instinctively took a step backward as the color drained from Cavitt’s face.

“Co-commander?” Cavitt whispered.

“That’s right,” the doctor replied. “So—we’re working together. Again. Who’d have thought?”

“Who indeed?” Cavitt said contemptuously. “Obviously someone wasn’t thinking if they believe for one moment that I will share the greatest moment of my career with anyone, least of all you. These things are mine. I found them. I caught them. They belong to me!”

“I thought you might say that,” the doctor answered. Withdrawing a sheaf of papers from underneath his uniform jacket, he held them out to Cavitt. “General Ramey’s personal orders,” he said, and now his tone was not so casual. “Read’em and weep.”

Cavitt snatched the papers unceremoniously and read them, his face becoming whiter with each passing word. Spade took advantage of the break in the action to study the newcomer. He stood there, watching calmly as Cavitt leafed through the orders and transfer papers, outrage etched on his face more clearly by the second. The folded-over jacket obscured the doctor's rank, but his manner suggested someone pretty high up there. And what did he mean about he and Cavitt working together “again”?

Cavitt finished reading, folded up the orders, and thrust them back in the doctor’s direction. “We’ll see about this,” he snapped.

“Oh, those are for you,” the doctor replied, “and you’re welcome to see about it all you want. I already warned the General you’d be this way. He’s waiting for your phone call. You really should do him the courtesy of not making him wait any longer.”

The doctor’s voice was still calm, but there was an edge to it now. A taunting edge, as though he were daring Cavitt to behave just exactly as he had predicted. He’d done an end run around Cavitt, and the look on Cavitt’s face made it clear he knew that.

“I believe the General may have misinterpreted what’s needed here,” Cavitt began, backpedaling as he realized he’d been trumped. “There is no need for you to replace….”

“I’m not ‘replacing’ anyone,” the doctor interrupted. “You remain the Chief Military Officer, in charge of security, technology, intel, and so forth. I am the Chief Medical Officer. It’s all there in the orders. Honestly, Sheridan, you can read, can’t you?”

“We don’t need a ‘Chief Medical Officer,” Cavitt argued. “I have several doctors here already….”

Had several doctors, you mean,” the doctor interrupted. “I understand they were flambéed from the inside out.”

“I replaced them….” Cavitt began angrily.

“….with ordinary Army hacks,” the doctor noted, “down there slicing and dicing. It should be obvious even to you that this calls for a certain level of expertise….”

“….which you obviously lack,” Cavitt finished. “You may fancy yourself a ‘doctor’, Daniel, but I know otherwise.”

“You know perfectly well that I’m board-certified in general medicine and neurology, among other specialties,” the doctor retorted. “I’m uniquely qualified for this position.”

“It’s those ‘other specialties’ that worry me,” Cavitt said icily. “And I find it telling you chose not to name them.”

The doctor smiled abruptly. “But that’s why I’m here. General Ramey wants a—how shall I put it?—a different type of approach to the one you’re currently using. A more.....balanced approach. So—in accordance with his wishes, I’ve dismissed your hacks, and assembled a team of the finest minds in the country. They won’t actually be stationed here, of course, given that it’s such an eclectic collection of people, both military and civilian, but they will be visiting, and I will be consulting with all of them regularly. Of course I wouldn’t expect you to know who to hire, given that you’re not a doctor.”

“You....dismissed!….” Cavitt was so angry he could barely speak. “We are in the midst of very delicate and time-sensitive experiments! You had no right to….”

“On the contrary. I had every right,” the doctor answered, all traces of geniality gone from his voice. “I am the Chief Medical Officer now, and I will make all the medical decisions from here on out.”

Cavitt finally snapped. “I cannot believe that Ramey would be so stupid as to put you, of all people, in charge of so much as mopping floors!” he raged, his face moving swiftly from white to purple. “If you think for one minute that I will stand by and let you make a mess of the most important event to ever occur in this country, never mind on this planet, then…”

The doctor sighed and plopped into a nearby chair. “Is this tirade going to take long, Sher? Because I had a long flight, and I’m beat.”

Cavitt stopped. Spade could see the vein in his left temple throbbing.

“I am well aware that, for you, the military was merely a way to bankroll your tuition,” Cavitt said, disdain dripping from his voice. “I regret to inform you that, contrary to what you seem to be thinking, this is a military operation. That means that you do not sit in the presence of a superior officer unless invited to so, and for the love of God, stop referring to me by my first name!.”

The doctor’s eyebrows rose. “ ‘Superior’ officer? Well, I suppose we haven’t kept up with each other the way we should have.” He stood up and unfolded his uniform jacket, shrugging it on, buttoning it. The lapels were adorned with golden oak leaves.

Spade’s eyes widened. So. The doctor was a Major. Just like Cavitt.

Cavitt’s complexion had turned white again. “They made you a Major?” he whispered, as though he just couldn’t believe it.

“Two years ago, actually,” the doctor replied, donning his hat.

Cavitt said nothing. His throat did not appear to be working.

“I have people unpacking my things upstairs,” the doctor continued. “My office is down the hall from yours. I plan on getting started tonight.” He cast one last, longing look at the observation room window and headed down the little staircase that led to the hallway.

“Oh, and one more thing,” the doctor added, pausing about halfway down. “Congratulations on your promotion, Sher. Nice to know you finally caught up with me. Even if it did take you two years.”

And then the doctor was out the door with a smile and a wave, and Cavitt was left staring mutely after him. Spade waited in uncomfortable silence for Cavitt to regain his senses. After a full minute passed, he tried an experimental cough. Nothing.

“Major?”

“What?” Cavitt snapped back to reality, staring at Spade as though he had forgotten he was there. And he probably had, consumed as he was with the man who had just walked out that door.

“Who was that?” Spade asked.

Cavitt’s jaw tightened. “Get your things, Lieutenant,” he said, ignoring Spade’s question. “If you need me, I’ll be in my office upstairs making a few hundred phone calls. I have a lot of favors due me, and I’m about to call them all in.”

Cavitt marched out, leaving Spade alone in the darkened observation room. Spade watched him leave, wishing he could be a fly on the wall and overhear the power plays that would inevitably go down, wondering if this new card in play would mean good news or bad for the aliens. General Ramey was either very wise or very foolish to put those two pit bulls in the same pen.

Before he left, Spade risked another look down into the room below. The doctor had been as good as his word; the personnel below were indeed packing up and leaving. Curious as to where the entrance to the alien’s “cell” was located, he skipped down the stairs and found it, just one door down from the door to the observation room. The medical personnel filed by, pulling off caps and masks, obviously disgruntled at having been dismissed. And then his eyes fell on one man’s face, still obscured by a surgical mask, and he froze.

The man walked past. Spade came to his senses and bolted, reaching the man just as he neared the main hallway, planting himself squarely in front of him and staring into his eyes, the only part of his face visible between the mask and cap.

The man stopped, startled. He returned Spade’s stare, and then his eyes widened in…what? Shock? Recognition? Without a word, Spade reached up and ripped off the man’s mask.

“What are you doing?” the man spluttered, backing away.

“I…I….I’m sorry,” Spade said lamely, feeling the color rise to his cheeks. “I thought I recognized you.”

“You know you could have just said ‘hello’,” the man retorted, snatching his mask from Spade’s hand. “Or tried the old, “Do I know you from somewhere?” line. Or is attacking people typical for you?”

“Sorry,” Spade mumbled. “I was wrong.”

“Hmpf,” the man muttered, brushing past Spade and stalking away. Spade watched him go, his embarrassment warring with the uneasiness stirring in the pit of his stomach. He looked around for other medical personnel, but they had all gone on ahead. There was no one around to verify the man’s identity.

Maybe I was wrong, Spade thought. He will still weary from last night, and racked with guilt. Maybe he was seeing things. Was it even possible for them to change that fast? He really didn’t know.

Just for a moment there, Spade had been certain he'd seen a familiar face staring at him over that mask. He sincerely hoped he was wrong. Because if he wasn’t, the mysterious “Private Johnson” was not only an alien, but had just walked away after gaining access to both prisoners despite all of Major Cavitt’s security precautions.

************************************************************************************************************

“Where have you been?” Amar demanded blearily, struggling, and failing, to pull himself into a sitting position. “You’ve been gone for ages!”

“You’re awake,” Malik said approvingly, closing the door behind him. “I didn’t even realize you knew I was gone. I was at the base—you know yourself how difficult it was to get in, and it’s even more difficult now. It takes awhile.”

“Did you find him? Do they have him?”

“Yes,” Malik said quietly, “they do.”

Amar was silent for a moment. He had been drifting in and out of consciousness all afternoon as the humans’ sedative began to wear off. They had been hiding in this abandoned farmhouse ever since last night, waiting for Amar to recover so they could return to Copper Summit. This was the first time Amar had been able to do much more than grunt.

“Tell me again,” Amar said thickly, “why you had to shoot me.”

“Oh, for heaven’s sake, Amar!” Malik said irritably. “I’ve already explained that! There was a human there! It would have looked suspicious if I’d used the weapon on only one of you.”

“But why didn’t you shoot the human?”

“You don’t think they would have noticed a human shooting another human?” Malik asked angrily. “Do you really want them to figure out there are more aliens out there? I sent him off to find help. I figured I could get you both out of there while he was gone.”

“But you didn’t,” Amar said accusingly. “And now the humans have both of them.”

“A thousand pardons,” Malik said sarcastically. “I removed you first, and it’s a good thing I did. When I went back for Jaddo, he was gone. If I’d left you there, the humans would have you now, and from what I’ve seen, you wouldn’t be having a very good time.”

“Why not? They’re sound asleep, aren’t they?” The bitterness in Amar’s voice was so thick you could cut it with a knife. He still found it annoying that the Warders did not know their fate.

Malik shot him a scathing look. “Would you like a rundown of exactly what the humans are doing to them?”

“Doesn’t matter,” Amar said flatly. “They can’t keep them out forever without killing them. And once they wake up, they’ll never be able to hold them. But we can.” He paused, smiling broadly. “It worked, Malik! The device worked!”

“Oh, yes, it worked beautifully,” Malik said with mock admiration. “It created such a large dampening field that it nearly caused a backwash of power in the humans’ own generators. Do you realize you nearly blew us all up?”

“So it needs a little tweaking,” Amar sulked. “It still worked.”

“But it’s not covert,” Malik argued. “Don’t you think humans will notice if we keep turning that thing on, and everything they have that uses power doesn’t work? At this point, we can’t hope to hold the Warders in Copper Summit. The dampening field would knock out a huge area of the town.”

“I’ll work on it,” Amar said angrily. “Just as soon as I can. It just needs a little fine tuning.”

“Why did you have that thing on, anyway?” Malik demanded, plopping down on the ground beside Amar. “You were supposed to follow him, not attack him inside the vent.”

Amar twisted into a different position. He was very weak, so the effort was costly, and he slumped against the wall when he was finished. “He found me,” he said shortly. “He attacked me. I had no choice.”

“You allowed yourself to be seen?” Malik asked incredulously. “Honestly, Amar, that’s twice in two days! You’re losing your touch.”

“There isn’t much room inside those vents,” Amar said testily. “It’s not my fault there aren’t many places to hide!”

“And what was he saying about you being false?” Malik fixed a hard stare on his companion. “What did he mean?”

“How should I know?” Amar said sullenly. “He’s lying, of course. You know perfectly well we never take each other’s shapes. He was just trying to rile you.”

Malik knelt down in front of Amar and looked him in the eye. “Tell me that you did not take Brivari’s shape to lure him out.”

Amar was silent, his mouth set in a hard line. The two stared at each other for several long seconds until finally, Amar spoke.

“I was not false.”

Malik held Amar’s gaze a moment longer before backing away. “Good. Because if I ever find out otherwise, I’ll turn on you in a heartbeat.”

“Thanks for the warning,” Amar said, with more than a little asperity. “We may need to steal a shape at some point, you know. These are not ordinary Covari. They wouldn’t hesitate to use their “special abilities” against us; why should we hesitate to use every weapon in our arsenal against them?”

“Being false is not a weapon, Amar,” Malik said firmly. “It is a cowardly act against our own people.”

“So you think the Warders wouldn’t ever be false with us?”

Malik hesitated. After a moment, he shook his head.

Amar snorted. “You give them more credit than they deserve.”

Ignoring him, Malik rose to his feet.

“Where are you going?” Amar asked.

“Out,” Malik replied. “From the looks of you, we’ll be here for awhile. We need food, and I’d like to learn as much as I can about where they’re holding the Warders before we go back.”

Amar muttered something grumpy and incomprehensible. Malik headed for the door.

“Malik? Wait.”

“What?”

“There’s one thing I can’t figure out,” Amar said slowly. “How did you know it was Jaddo?”

Malik tensed. “What do you mean?”

“We knew Brivari had been captured,” Amar said, struggling to think, something he had trouble with on the best of days. “We knew two died, but we didn’t know which two. I didn’t know who was still free until I met him in the vent, and I never told you it was Jaddo. I know he was shifting while we were fighting, but that’s too fast to see. How did you know it was Jaddo, and not one of the other two?”

“I…I did manage to see enough of him while the two of you were fighting,” Malik said. “Just barely.”

“Really?” He cast beady eyes on Malik. “I didn’t think you knew Jaddo. How would you know what he looked like?”

“I saw him once,” Malik said shortly, “a long time ago. What difference does it make?”

Amar considered a moment, and then said, “None, I suppose. I was just wondering, that’s all.”

Amar slumped down on the ground again, exhausted from all the chatter. Malik walked out of the house, closing the door behind him, leaning against the outside wall and breathing heavily.

That was close, he thought nervously. Too close.

************************************************************************************************************

10:00 p.m.

Proctor residence

“So it’s always the same side of the moon that’s facing us?” Dee asked, peering through the telescope’s eyepiece.

“Yep,” Anthony answered. “The other side is always in darkness. And we can’t always see the side facing us, especially when the moon is lined up between the Earth and the Sun. Then the moon seems to disappear—that’s called a 'new moon'."

Dee thought of the night the Army had come, and how dark it had been. That had been a “new moon”, and it couldn’t have picked a better night to “disappear.”

Dee and Anthony were sitting on the Proctor’s back porch steps with Anthony’s telescope, as Anthony showed her the finer points of the quarter moon glowing in the sky above them. She had been pleasantly surprised to find Anthony on her doorstep after dinner, released from his punishment and toting his telescope. The night was still warm, as usual, the crickets were chirping, and Dee felt more peaceful than she had in a long time.

“We’ll go there someday,” Anthony was saying, looking up at the moon. “The moon is the closest thing to us, so when we manage to build a ship that can leave Earth’s gravity, that’ll be the first place we stop.”

Dee smiled. “You’ve thought about this a lot, haven’t you?”

“I love to wonder what’s out there,” Anthony said. “I always have. And now….well, let’s just say that now I’m wondering all the more.”

Dee cast a sideways look at him without looking up. She had to admit, it was exciting to know there were other worlds, even if they did have fighting and wars just like Earth. Her sheer awe of the fact that there was life out there had not dimmed in spite of everything that had happened.

“You must wonder too,” Anthony was saying. “That’s why you have your star collection up in your room.”

Dee lifted her head from the telescope. She’d shown Anthony her collection of “stars” earlier, shyly, afraid he would laugh. Thankfully he hadn’t, nor had he disputed her title of ‘star collection’. But he hadn’t needed to, because she knew better now; they weren’t stars, just meteors. That particular bit of romance had been squashed by recent events.

“I shouldn’t call them ‘stars’ anymore,” Dee said glumly. “I should call them what Mac always told me they were—meteorites, bits of rock that fall from space.” As she spoke, she cast a sad look in the direction of Mac’s still empty house.

“But people call those meteorites ‘falling stars’,” Anthony pointed out. “You’re not the only one who likes to think of them as stars. And who knows? Maybe, at some point in the past, that little bit of rock was part of a star.”

“Maybe,” Dee said doubtfully.

“So what did you think of Mac’s radio interview?” Anthony asked casually.

Dee whipped her head around to stare at him. “What interview?”

“Mac gave another interview at KGFL this afternoon,” Anthony said. “Didn’t you hear?”

“We were gone all day,” Dee said excitedly. “What did he say? The Army’s been holding him—no one’s seen him since Monday. Is he coming home?”

“I don’t know,” Anthony said. “Mr. Joyce—he was the one who did the first interview, too—said that the Army escorted Mac down there, and took him away afterwards.”

Dee swallowed hard. That did not sound good. “So…what did he say?”

“He took it all back. Said he’d just found some bits of an old weather balloon, and that it had been on his ranch since last month.”

Dee was silent for a moment. It was an outright lie, of course. No doubt the Army’s doing, since it matched the Army’s story perfectly. And perhaps it was better this way, given the reactions she had seen around town. Perhaps it was better if people didn’t know.

“Mr. Joyce got pretty mad,” Anthony went on. “He asked Mac why this new story was so different from the other one, and Mac wouldn’t say. And then he said something about little green men, and Mac said, “Well, they’re not green.”

No, they’re not, Dee thought. But now everyone would think Mac was crazy because he’d flip-flopped. Either that, or he’d get in even more trouble for making even that one little comment.

“I’m sure they made him do it,” Anthony continued. “That’s probably why they were keeping him—I’ll bet he had to agree to take it all back before they’d let him go. Mr. Joyce made sure everyone knew the Army had brought Mac there, and that they’d been holding him for the past week. People will fill in the blanks,” he added, as though reading her mind.

Dee stood up and walked across the yard, staring at the Brazel’s empty house. For the past several days, one thought, one horrible thought, had dogged her mind, waking or sleeping, and it was this: If she hadn’t dragged Mac out to the ranch the night after the storm, he wouldn’t have found the ship fragments. If he hadn’t found the ship fragments, he wouldn’t have brought them to Sheriff Wilcox, who wouldn’t have called the Army, who wouldn’t have found the ship. Despite her father’s assurances that none of this was her fault, every awful thing that had happened recently could be traced back to one person—herself.

“This is all my fault,” she whispered.

“What?” Anthony said behind her.

Dee turned to look at Anthony, who was still sitting on the porch step, his hand on the telescope, looking at her quizzically. She still hadn’t told him anything. It was too dangerous to tell him anything. But her guilt was so strong, and her need to confess, to confide in someone who wasn’t just going to automatically defend her like her parents would, was overwhelming.

“This is all my fault,” she said repeated miserably.

“What’s your fault?” Anthony asked, surprised.

“Everything. Mac getting in trouble, then having to lie. And….everything else,” she finished lamely. “If I hadn’t seen what I wasn’t supposed to, none of this would have happened.”

If Anthony had noticed that Dee had just branded Mac’s new weather balloon story a lie, he gave no sign of it. “You mean if you hadn’t seen what no one expected to happen in the first place, don’t you?”.

“It doesn’t matter,” Dee said in an anguished tone, not caring what she said now. “I led Mac there. He wouldn’t have gone there if it hadn’t been for me. If I’d just minded my own business, everything would have been fine.”

“Maybe,” Anthony said slowly. “Or maybe it would have been worse.”

“Don’t try to make me feel better," Dee said crossly. "I’m not in the mood."

“I’m not trying to make you feel better,” Anthony said calmly, unperturbed by her temper. “I’m just saying that you don’t know what would have happened if you hadn’t seen…whatever it was you saw,” he finished diplomatically. “Things might have been better, or they might have been much worse. There’s no way to know for sure.”

“Mac wouldn’t have been there if it weren’t for me,” Dee insisted. “The ranch isn’t using that pasture this year—he wouldn’t have gone out there.”

“No,” Anthony agreed, “but he might have done something, or said something, that made someone else go out there, and then what would have happened?”

Dee considered this for a moment. If she and Mac hadn’t removed the few ship pieces they’d found, someone else might have found them. That someone would probably have handed them over to the authorities right away. Urza and the others might have been discovered several days sooner.

Or—now that she was warming to the subject, she may as well continue—if she hadn’t helped Urza that first day, showing him how to talk, how to dress, and how to drive, they might have attracted suspicion. They might have been caught trying to obtain food, or they might have exposed themselves some other way. There was really no way to tell what would had happened had she not been looking out the window that fateful night.

“I suppose things could have been worse,” Dee said slowly. “But we’ll never know for sure.”

“No, we won’t,” Anthony agreed. “There are too many people involved, and too many different choices they could have made. So since we can’t know for sure, I prefer to think it was a good thing you did….whatever you did.”

Dee smiled in spite of herself. “You’re what my Mama calls a 'glass is half full' person.”

“You know, I never understood that glass business,” Anthony said, “because when a glass is half full, it’s also half empty.”

“That’s the whole point,” Dee teased. “The glass is the same either way; it’s how you look at it that matters.”

“Exactly. Which is why I think you should look at it like what you did was a good thing, in the long run.”

Dee felt a lump growing in her throat. She felt better now, in spite of herself, and it was all because of Anthony. He had kept his word about not asking her questions and just helped, whether by getting rid of nosy people, or just assuring her that she wasn’t as awful as she felt. He deserved something in return.

“Mac was right. They’re not green,” she said suddenly.

Anthony looked up from the eyepiece. “What?”

“They’re gray,” Dee said quietly, speaking quickly so she wouldn’t have time to think about it and change her mind.

Anthony’s eyes gleamed for a moment, like they had the night before when she had told him about all of Jupiter’s moons, but he said nothing. He just smiled at her, and she smiled back, wrestling with how she felt about her first time ever voluntarily telling someone about the aliens. It felt good to tell, she decided. It felt good to share it with someone she thought would understand. More like knew would understand. She knew deep down in her bones that Anthony was okay.

The sound of a ringing telephone drifted from the house. A moment later, Dee’s father appeared at the door of the back porch. “Anthony? That was your mother. She wants you home now.”

“Okay,” Anthony said, as her father disappeared back inside the house. “Want to do this again tomorrow night?” he asked, opening the carrying case for his telescope and packing it up, acting like she hadn’t just confirmed the existence of aliens on the planet.

“Are we always going to look at the moon, or do you know a thing or two about stars?”

“Stars?” Anthony asked in surprise. “I know every constellation there is to know.

Every constellation?”

“Okay, maybe not every constellation,” Anthony allowed. “But I know an awful lot of them. Star tours begin tomorrow promptly at 9:15.”

"I'll be here," Dee promised.

“G’night,” Anthony called, walking out of the backyard, his telescope case banging against his leg.

Dee wandered inside and found her father reading the newspaper in the living room. “Who was on the phone?” she asked, secretly hoping someone had heard something else about Mac.

“Mrs. Evans.”

“Who?”

“Mrs. Evans,” her father repeated. “Anthony’s mother. She asked me to send him home.”

Evans, Dee thought, heading out to the kitchen for a drink. She’d never asked Anthony what his last name was. She smiled to herself as she pulled a glass out of the cupboard, putting it all together.

Anthony Maximillion Evans. That was an even bigger mouthful than she’d thought. No wonder he didn’t like his middle name.

********************************************************************************************

Next week......

Book 2 comes to an end as the identity of the new Doctor is revealed (you'll recognize the name ;) ), and the rogues find the pods.

I'll post the last part next Sunday. :)
BRIVARI: "In our language, the root of the word 'Covari' means 'hidden'. I'm always there, Your Highness, even if you don't see me."
Kathy W
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 78

Post by Kathy W »

Hello everyone!

And so we've come to the end of this particular chapter of the shapeshifters' and the hybrids' lives. Hard to believe this all took place over approximately 10 days, isn't it? ;) My heartfelt thanks to all who have taken time from their busy lives to read this tale. You're the best!

Book 3 will begin on Sunday, October 10th. (Hard to believe I'm actually going to be hitting the "New Topic" button! :shock: :D )

PART SEVENTY-EIGHT

July 12, 1947, 10:30 p.m.

Pod Chamber

Earth’s single moon shone in the night sky, a thin crescent in a field of stars, as a lone bird circled a huge rock formation in the desert. Spiraling downward, the bird landed at the foot of the rocks; a moment later, a man stood in his place.

Staring up at the rock formation, Malik shook his head in admiration. He would never have thought of this place, never have thought of anything so simple, so obvious, had he not followed the human girl’s family wherever they went. It was fitting, really, that Zan should seek shelter in one of the places where the knowledge necessary to make him live again was gleaned in the first place. Fitting…and ironic.

Malik began climbing the rock face, keeping a sharp eye out as he ascended. It had been so long since he had visited this particular laboratory chamber that he wasn’t quite certain exactly where it was. Earlier today, he had circled above the human family in the form of a bird as they stopped a little more than halfway to the top and emptied the container the child carried, the dust of one of his people drifting away on an alien wind. Not the best ending for a Covari, but Malik could think of worse.

A flat rock face loomed to his left, and he stopped to examine it, passing his hand over the surface, searching for the handprint. Nothing. There was no way of knowing for certain whether the humans had stopped where they did randomly or because they knew where the chamber was, but he suspected the latter. The human girl and her parents had yet to lead him astray. He resumed climbing, heading for the spot where he had seen them.

Malik had first thought of the human child two nights ago when Brivari had been taken captive. His instincts had been correct; he had arrived at her house just as she and her parents were leaving, unusual given the hour. The unconscious figure he had found slumped on the floor of a second story room was definitely Covari, but his human form made him impossible to identify. So Malik had followed the human family, who had led him right to the hybrids, which they were obviously rescuing. He had allowed them to continue, knowing they had already given shelter to the unconscious Covari in their house, and had almost intervened when a human soldier stumbled upon them, refraining just in time when he realized the soldier was an ally.

The real threat had lain close by, in the form of an enforcer who had proven reluctant to give up the chase. Hopefully the containers he had planted in the enforcer’s car would invalidate any story he told. Malik had no idea why the humans had such a preoccupation with the beverage they called “beer”, but he had seen enough to know what affect the substance had on a human’s cognitive abilities. One would think they would know enough to avoid anything which made them act in the ridiculous ways that Malik had observed, but no matter. This time, at least, “beer” had served its purpose.

Malik reached the approximate spot where he had seen the human family earlier today and paused, fingering the vial in his pocket. He himself had only been here a few times, delivering human subjects for testing, but this spot looked familiar. This was it. This was the place. And much as he longed to see what was inside, this wasn’t where Malik wanted to be. He had hoped that either Jaddo would succeed in Brivari’s rescue, or if it failed, that he would accept a private offer of assistance. Why couldn’t you have listened to me? Malik thought fiercely, mentally cursing Jaddo’s stubbornness. If Jaddo hadn’t ignored his warning, he would not now be a prisoner.

But Jaddo had ignored his warning. And that had left Malik scrambling to figure out a way to throw Amar off the trail, a scramble proved worthless by Amar activating the device prematurely. He had watched Amar and Jaddo fight with a feeling of absolute helplessness, and had prevented the human soldier, whom he recognized as the one who had saved the hybrids the previous night, from interfering and losing his own life. The Warders needed someone among their captors as an ally, and Malik had no intention of removing one of the few people who seemed to fit that description.

He had shot Jaddo with the tranquilizing gun when he realized Jaddo would kill Amar if he didn’t. Malik was not ready for that. He was not entirely happy with the deal he had made five years ago, nor was he happy with the circumstances which had induced him to make that deal in the first place. He was seeking a different solution than that which was offered by either side of the current dispute, and he needed to keep all of his options open. That meant not killing parties on either side.

Or allowing them to be captured, Malik thought heavily. He had removed Amar first, believing the human soldier would help Jaddo, whom he seemed to recognize. And if that were not the case, Malik had planned to remove Jaddo himself and place him somewhere safe where Amar would not find him. But when he had returned, it was clear that Jaddo had been captured. He had managed to keep everyone alive, but had not managed to keep everyone free.

Malik turned back to the rock face. Hopefully the hybrids were safely hidden; that was why he was here now, standing high on a rock in the darkness. With both Royal Warders captured, it fell to him to see to the safety of the King and his family. No doubt Amar would take issue with that position, but Malik begged to differ. The survival of the hybrids was key; whoever held them held a priceless bargaining chip. And whoever knew where they were hidden possessed the next most priceless bargaining chip, something which might come in handy when the time came to confront Brivari, as Malik knew it eventually would.

Assuming they were actually here, that is, a question Malik intended to settle right now. He passed his hand over the rock, and a shimmering, silver handprint appeared. He pressed his hand to the print, and held his breath.

Nothing happened.

Malik had expected this. The lock would have been keyed to the Warders’ DNA to guard against any visitors from home. That was why he had taken a sample of Jaddo’s skin cells while he lay unconscious in the human family’s house. They had long since turned to dust, of course, but even dust still held the genetic code necessary to open this door.

Coating his hand with dust from the vial, Malik pressed his hand to the print once again. The door rumbled open, and as he stepped inside, a soft glow rose, illuminating the interior.

The sacs lay on the floor of the chamber. He counted, examining each carefully—there were six, each containing four hybrids, one of each royal. Some of the sacs had already broken apart into pods, while others were just beginning this process. In one sac, three of the four hybrids were dead, and another looked as though the hybrids it contained might suffer the same fate in the near future.

But the other four glowed brilliantly, the hybrids they contained stretching and tumbling inside. Malik passed his hand over the surface of one of them, reading the inscriptions Valeris had placed in the lower right hand corners.

Zan.

Ava.

Rath.

Vilandra.

“They did it,” Malik whispered. “They actually did it.”

Malik rose and stood among the pulsating, glowing pods, his feelings at war within himself. A terrible price had been paid for the knowledge that had given Zan’s family new life—he and Amar had been due to pay that price, as had the other three who had gone rogue with them, now dead. Still, the mere existence of the hybrids was a monument to centuries of Antarian bioengineering, and their survival to this point nothing short of a miracle given what they had already been through in their very short lives. Perhaps there was a reason for that. Perhaps this was meant to be.

“You have been granted a second chance, Your Highness,” Malik whispered to the nearest fetal incarnation of his King. “And I, for one, intend to see that you get it. Use it well.”

Making a slight bow, Malik turned and walked out of the chamber, the door rumbling closed behind him.

Eagle Rock Military Base

Lieutenant Spade headed down the hallway toward his new quarters. He had already moved his belongings into the compound, and was now on his way to get some much needed sleep. Soldiers he passed smiled and saluted as he went by, making him extremely uncomfortable. It was strange to be an officer, even a junior officer. And that wasn’t all—he now found himself up on some kind of pedestal for his role in capturing the aliens. In practice, this meant that he was constantly reminded of the fool Cavitt had rightly taken him for, the likelihood that his CO was a cold-blooded murderer, and the fact that the beings tied to the tables in that dingy old operating room were there solely because of him. Unpleasant thoughts, all.

Far ahead, a small group of people rounded the corner, two soldiers and one white-clad figure, by the looks of it. As the group came closer, Spade recognized the figure, and his eyes widened.

It was Yvonne White. Her expression made it clear she was just as shocked to see him as he was to see her.

I thought she was transferred to London? Spade thought. But then he realized he should have known Cavitt would never let her go. Hopefully he still didn’t realize that she'd had contact with live aliens, but she had assisted with the autopsies. That alone would make her valuable—and potentially dangerous to Cavitt.

“There he is!” crowed one the two soldiers as the little group came face to face with Spade. “Our resident alien catcher!”

“This is a treat, little lady,” the second soldier assured Yvonne. “This here gentleman’s the reason we all have such a plum assignment.”

“Can’t study aliens without aliens to study,” the first soldier added with a grin. “Gotta catch’em first!” He offered his hand to Spade.

But Spade wasn’t looking at either of the soldiers. He was looking at the expression on Yvonne’s face, a mixture of anger, disgust, and….and what looked disturbingly like betrayal.

Spade felt as though he had just been slapped, but there was nothing he could say to her here, in the middle of the hallway, in front of two soldiers who thought he was the keenest guy in the world. So he dropped his gaze and accepted the hand, shaking it vigorously, then shook hands with the other soldier, who had offered his hand also. He didn’t look at Yvonne again. That look had been so painful it had almost physically hurt.

“Congratulations, man!” the first soldier was saying. “Good going, getting both of those things.”

“Yeah,” the second soldier agreed. “That’ll teach’em to mess with Uncle Sam.”

Spade forced himself to smile and nod, but said nothing. He didn’t trust his voice at the moment.

The soldiers moved off, Yvonne between them. Spade watched them go, Yvonne’s white shoes making no sound on the floor as they walked, in sharp contrast to the clumping of the soldiers’ boots. First order of business tomorrow—find Yvonne and tell her what had happened, not only so she didn’t think he was a first class asshole, but so she could be on her guard. This “plum assignment” was headed by a murderer, and no one else here knew that yet.

11 p.m.

Proctor residence

Dee Proctor was kneeling on the bench beside her window when she heard her father come in. He crossed the room to stand behind her, both of them looking up at the clear night sky.

“Looking for falling stars?” he asked.

Dee twisted around and gave him a you’ve-got-to-be-kidding look. “No.”

“Bedtime, kiddo,”

Dee obediently climbed into bed while her father adjusted her fan so it would blow directly on her. As he bent to tuck her in, she turned sideways so she could keep looking out the window.

“They got them, didn’t they?” she whispered.

Her father looked at her gravely. “That would be my guess, but I don’t know for sure.”

“They must have. They would’ve been back by now.”

“They’re strong, Dee. As long as they’re not hurt, they’ll probably be able to escape. They can do a lot of things we can’t—most of us, anyway,” he added, and Dee knew he was thinking about how all of them had done things recently they didn’t know they could.

“And when they do escape, we’ll be waiting,” Dee said confidently, looking at her father.

David smiled. “Of course we will.” He bent over and kissed her goodnight. “Sleep tight, kiddo.”

Dee responded with a fierce hug that caught her father off guard, almost pulling him off balance. She was so lucky that both her parents had been willing to help her friends. What would she have done if either one of them had wound up being an ‘Ernie’?

“Where’d that come from?” David asked, steadying himself.

“It’s a lot easier to do hard things when you don’t have to do them all alone, isn’t it?” she whispered, clutching her father tightly.

“You bet,” he whispered back, ruffling her hair. He kissed her forehead again, and left.

Dee lay in bed, looking out the window and listening as her parents got ready for bed. After their light had been out for at least twenty minutes, she quietly climbed out of bed, located a few items, and climbed back in, pulling the covers over her head.

Under this makeshift tent, she carefully arranged her flashlight, her notebook, her pencil, and the alien book they had found earlier in the trunk of their car. The metal surface of the cover gleamed, almost iridescent in the flashlight’s glow. She opened her notebook, picked up her pencil, and began to turn the first page of the alien book. But just before she did so, she paused.

Something had flashed across the surface of the book’s smooth, empty cover. It had only been there for a moment, but Dee was certain she had seen a symbol appear on the cover, only to fade away a moment later. She studied the cover carefully for a minute, but the symbol didn’t return.

Slowly, Dee opened the book. The alien writing was etched into the surface of the page; she ran her fingernail over the depressions, listening to the faint click, click as her nail passed. She flipped back to the cover to see if the mysterious symbol had reappeared, but it hadn’t.

Dee opened the book again, picked up her pencil, and, starting at the top left of the first page, began to copy each symbol one by one.

July 13, 1947, 0130 hours

Eagle Rock Military Base

Lieutenant Spade walked the nearly empty corridors of the compound, nodding to the guards on duty at various places as he went by. Sleep had eluded him after his distressing meeting with Yvonne, so he had decided to walk a bit, hoping that sheer exhaustion would take over. Every guard he passed smiled at him, saluted, called him “sir”. Understandable, since as of 0600 tomorrow, he would be in charge of every guard in this compound, and the word was they were all thrilled to have the “alien hunter” as their commander. Too bad their commander wasn’t as thrilled as they were.

Spade paused as he passed the door to the observation room. He wanted to go in, but at the same time, he didn’t. He wanted to reassure himself the aliens were still unharmed, but every time he looked at them, he was reminded that he was the reason they were here, and that they were here because of a lie.

Might as well get used to it, Spade thought, as he opened the door and climbed the steps that led to the windowed room. If he was going to get them out of here, he need to know everything about this place: Every nook, every cranny, every door and window—everything. Including now, in the middle of the night.

The observation room was dark, the only light being that from the room below. A single figure was seated in a chair, staring through the window at the scene below. Everyone does that, Spade thought, moving to the window and looking down at the room below, empty but for the two figures strapped to the tables, both unconscious. Everyone who came in here stood at the windows and stared, as though trying to convince themselves to believe their eyes.

“Soldier,” Spade said curtly, nodding briefly to the silhouetted guard as he passed.

“Good evening, Lieutenant,” came a smooth voice. “Or perhaps I should say, ‘Good morning’?” The figure consulted it’s watch. “Yes, it seems I should.”

Spade turned in surprise to find the doctor—the Major, rather—from earlier, the one who had needled Cavitt so effectively. His tie had been loosened, the top button of his shirt was unbuttoned, and he looked quite mellow. In his right hand was a glass of what looked and smelled suspiciously like scotch.

The Major followed Spade’s gaze. “Yes, yes, I know it’s against regs. But I’ve earned it, believe me. And I bet Sheridan’s back there drowning in his own bottle.” He twisted around to face Spade, giving him an appraising look. “You’re ‘Spade’, aren’t you?”

“Yes, Major,” Spade answered, wondering how the doctor had managed to read his name tag in the gloom. Certainly he hadn’t memorized everyone’s name and face already.

The Major leaned forward in his chair. “Call me “Doctor”. Someone should.” He downed the rest of his scotch, reached down toward his feet, produced a bottle, and poured himself another glass. “I owe you an apology for earlier today.”

“What for, sir?”

The Doctor shook his head. “You don’t have to append ‘sir’ to everything you say, Lieutenant. I know my own rank, and so do you. No need to remind either of us with every sentence. Besides, I find all that bowing and scraping really slows things down. Makes conversation impossible.” He swigged his Scotch. “I owe you an apology for making you watch my little… ‘discussion’ with Sheridan—excuse me, Major Cavitt,” the doctor amended sardonically. “Technically I should have dismissed you so we could have our little brouhaha in private. He won’t be happy that you witnessed his ‘humiliation’, as he so dramatically puts it.”

“So why didn’t you dismiss me?” Spade asked.

The doctor smiled. “I know what’s it’s like to work with Major Cavitt—I can only imagine what working for him is like. I also know how word gets around. Quite frankly, I wanted word to get around that I’m not like him. I was hoping you’d accomplish that for me.”

Spade stared at him, uncertain of how to take this admission. Superiors using inferiors wasn’t news, of course, but most senior officers were savvy enough not to admit it. Or to at least appear regretful when caught in the act.

“As I understand it, you have personal experience butting heads with Major Cavitt,” the doctor continued casually. “I’ve been doing a great deal of reading, and it seems you and he have very different versions of what happened with one of the aliens who died.”

Spade returned the doctor’s stare, but remained silent. He had never retracted his version of events concerning the alien who had surrendered, and he had no intention of doing so. Cavitt had stopped asking him to, no doubt busy basking in the glow of his new specimens. Still, it was bound to come up sooner or later, and Spade wasn’t at all certain he wanted it to come up with this stranger.

“Care to tell me what happened out there?”

When Spade remained mute, the doctor continued, “I assure you, anything you tell me is completely off the record.”

“You obviously read my testimony,” Spade said evenly, “and went out of your way to identify me. It’s all in the report—why would you want me to go over it again?”

The doctor swiveled his chair to look out over the room below. “You don’t trust me, do you?”

“Permission to speak freely…sir.”

The doctor raised an eyebrow and settled his glass of scotch on his lap. “Granted,” he said, eyeing Spade with interest.

“Trust is earned,” Spade said firmly, looking the doctor directly in the eye. “And what have you done to win my trust? You deliberately left me in what you knew was a compromising position to further your own ends. And I think those ends include something you haven’t mentioned.”

“And what would that be?” the doctor asked mildly, taking not the slightest umbrage at Spade’s tone.

“You knew Major Cavitt would be humiliated, and you knew it would be worse if I watched. You like working him over, and you used me to help you do that.”

The doctor smiled into his glass of scotch. “Very perceptive, Lieutenant. Very perceptive. And correct, I might add.” He raised a hand in mock assent. “Guilty as charged. But at least I get points for admitting it.”

Spade watched the doctor closely. There was no trace of remorse in his voice, only a faint amusement, as though having his motives discovered and exposed by such an unlikely source was somehow amusing. Did this guy really believe that simply admitting it made it all better? He glanced down to the half empty bottle of scotch on the floor. Was this the doctor talking, or the booze?

“Very well then,” the doctor was saying. “You say I need to earn your trust. Apparently the oak leaves aren’t good enough. So—how do I do that?”

You just made that job a lot harder, Spade thought. But if the doctor was willing to talk…..

“How do you know Major Cavitt?” Spade asked. “And why is he so upset that you’re here?”

“Ah. You want a story. Have a seat, son,” the doctor said, pointing to a chair, “and I’ll tell you one.”

Spade obediently sank into the chair, carefully avoiding the scene through the nearby window. He was responsible for this man’s presence here, and it was not lost on him that he might have made things worse by fishing that scrap of paper out of Cavitt’s wastebasket.

“Sheridan and I enlisted at the same time,” the doctor began, setting back in his chair and propping his drink on his knee. “He was all gung ho, fight for America, all that stuff. I, on the other hand, began to regret my decision. I wasn’t made to be a killing machine. So I took a different path.”

“You became a doctor,” Spade interjected.

The doctor nodded. “Right. But not just any doctor. I got my MD and became a neurologist, but I wanted more. I wanted to know what made people tick in more than just the physical sense, so I added psychiatry to the list. I’m a ‘shrink’, as you boys like to call me, probably the most feared type of doctor there is. When I show up, that means something’s rattling around up here,” he said, tapping his head with his finger.

"I want it dissected, not diagnosed." So that’s what Cavitt had been talking—yelling—about. But why would the Army want a psychiatrist here if the plan was to keep the aliens sedated until they died?

“Sheridan looked down his nose at me from the moment our paths diverged,” the doctor continued, rising from his chair with scotch in hand, leaning against the window and staring down at the aliens strapped to the tables below. “Claimed that he was a real soldier, while I was just a wuss with stripes. Said I was soft, trying to avoid combat, you name it. He was always really aggressive, one of those who’d do just about anything to get his way. He never could understand what I’d chosen to do.”

“So what exactly do you do?” Spade asked warily. He’d met a few Army shrinks. Some seemed okay, but more than few appeared to be in need of their own services.

The doctor gave Spade a penetrating stare. “Why, I fix the killing machines, Lieutenant. Machines have a habit of breaking down, you see. Even the organic ones. Maybe especially the organic ones. I spend most of my time dealing with what’s called “real injuries”, physical injuries, head injuries in my case. But there are different kinds of injuries, not all of which leave a trail of blood. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t know his head from his ass.”

Spade was silent again, thinking of the soldiers he knew of who had snapped. Quite a few, actually. Most of them hadn’t fully recovered, and probably never would.

“Sheridan had a right royal fit this afternoon when he learned I’d gotten Major before he did,” the doctor continued. “I think that bothered him more than the whole co-commander bit. He couldn’t understand why a pill pusher like me pulled a higher rank sooner than a ‘true warrior’ like himself. Now he has his oak leaves too, but…”—the doctor raised a finger and pointed it at Spade—“he didn’t get his way.”

“What do you mean?”

“What I mean, Lieutenant, is that after hours of wrangling, still more hours of arguing, and even more hours of phone calls to General Ramey, I have not only managed to retain my status as commander of the medical half of this operation, but I shall soon have official permission to wake the subjects and pursue psychological as well as medical examination. I’m exhausted, mind you, and more than a little drunk, but I won. Much to Sheridan’s chagrin.” He gazed down at the captives below and spoke softly to the window. “They’re mine.”

Spade’s throat went dry as he moved from elated to alarmed in seconds. What have I done? he thought despairingly. The doctor wanted to wake the aliens—that was good, as they would likely escape. But his initial delight at hearing that died quickly when he saw the look in the doctor’s eyes. He had seen that look earlier today when Major Cavitt had stood in this very room and claimed ownership of the beings below, just as the doctor had now. The doctor’s tone was not quite as rabid, but the sense of possession, of triumph, was identical.

Still, the doctor was willing to at least attempt to do more than simply leave the aliens sedated and experiment on them. That had to be a good thing. Maybe this wasn’t a disaster after all. Maybe.

“Sir,” Spade began carefully, “Are you aware of what these…people can do?”

“I certainly am,” the doctor replied. “Sheridan’s right about one thing—these things are dangerous. I’ve read all the reports; impressive. Very impressive. Not to mention terrifying.” He paused. “I can’t wait to find out how they do it.”

“But…how can you hang onto them if they can blow holes in fences and kill with a touch?”

“That will be my first puzzle,” the doctor mused, “and I believe I have the answer. The General believes so too, at least enough to let me try.” He smiled. “Major Cavitt doesn’t, of course, but most of his mewling is just for effect. I know he’d love to interrogate those things. Without my expertise in that area, I daresay he wouldn’t have anything to play with.”

Spade swallowed. Play with. How could two little words be so chilling? “What do you intend to do with them if your idea works?” he asked, part of him dreading the answer.

“I’ll keep you up all night reading you that list,” the doctor chuckled, resuming his seat. He reached in a his pocket and pulled out a cigarette and a lighter. A flame burst to life, and a moment later, clouds of smoke rose into the air, eerie looking in the light from the room below. “I want to know everything about those creatures, Lieutenant. Everything. I want to know how they blow holes in fences and kill with a touch. I want to know how they change their shapes. I want to know why every wound that Sheridan’s merry band made today while they were taking blood and tissue samples has completely healed over. I have too many questions to count.”

“What happens if you can’t figure out a way to wake them?”

The doctor sighed. “Then we’ll have to go with Sheridan’s plan. Keep them sedated and alive for as long as possible. They’ll die eventually, of course, and that would be such a pity. But if we can’t safely hold them, we’ll have no choice. Can’t have things like that on the lose.”

The doctor’s casual tone floored Spade. He sounded like he was talking about putting down a dog, or culling some pesky wildlife. Even though the aliens now stood a better chance of escaping, Spade was having a hard time convincing himself that he’d done the right thing by fishing that scrap of paper out of Cavitt’s wastebasket.

“Sir, do we….do we have a right to be doing this?” Spade asked, suddenly overcome by guilt at possibly having made the situation worse…again.

“Of course we have the ‘right’,” the doctor replied calmly. “Why wouldn’t we?”

“It’s just that….well, we just got rid of Dr. Mengele. And now it sounds like you’re taking his place.”

The doctor’s eyebrows shot skyward. That went too far, Spade thought, but he was too upset now to care. Perhaps it was a bit over the top to compare what was happening here with the Nazi’s Angel of Death and his human experiments, but only a bit. The similarities were too close for comfort.

“Josef Mengele experimented on human subjects,” the doctor said evenly, the tip of his cigarette shining in the darkness. “These are not human, Lieutenant. You should know that better than anyone here, myself included.”

“With all due respect, sir…..does that really make a difference?”

“Of course it makes a difference. A big difference,” the doctor replied. “We experiment on animals. No one objects to that.”

“These aren’t animals,” Spade argued, “and you know that. That’s why you’re so eager to work on them.”

The doctor was watching him carefully. “You empathize with them, don’t you?”

“Not exactly,” Spade replied, weighing his words, “but I wonder: They didn’t attack us until we attacked them. Every single time they attacked, they were defending their property or their people, just as we would have done. Their reactions were no different than ours would have been, even if their methods were.”

The doctor appeared to consider for a moment, then shook his head. “You make a good argument, Lieutenant, if you were talking about humans. But you’re not. You’re ascribing human emotions to non-human subjects. That may or may not be accurate. It’s my job to find out.”

“And if it is accurate?”

“An interesting thought,” the doctor said, smiling faintly, “if highly unlikely. Relax,” he added when he saw the look on Spade’s face. “I’m not here to torture them. Why would I? After all we’ve gone through to capture them, and all we’re going to go through to keep them, what would be the point of damaging them? We don’t have the luxury of a never ending supply of test subjects like Mengele—we only have these two. It would be foolish to harm them.”

And what if you did have a ‘never ending supply’? Spade sat mutely in his chair, his mind churning, not knowing how to feel or what to make of this newcomer who left him alternately hopeful and chilled to the bone. His assertion that he would not harm the aliens was good news, but the envious, almost admiring tone he used when discussing Josef Mengele was not encouraging.

The door opened below, and a soldier skipped up the steps.

“Major Pierce? Orders have arrived from General Ramey, sir. The subjects are at your disposal as of your receiving this message.”

“That’s ‘Doctor’ Pierce, and you can’t be serious,” the doctor replied dryly. “After the fuss Sheridan kicked up, I can’t believe they didn’t at least make me wait until after lunch. Fine, fine, thank you,” he went on, waving a hand at the soldier who was busily protesting the accuracy of his message. “I believe you. I was only joking. Just between you and me,” he added in an aside to Spade, “I think Sheridan can’t wait to let me at’em if I can safely wake them up. That was his consolation prize.”

But Spade was lost in thought, staring at the doctor, searching his memory for any recollection of that name. Pierce. Nope. Didn’t ring any bells.

“Gracious, that’s right,” the doctor broke in suddenly, recognizing the look on Spade's face. “We haven’t been properly introduced, have we? Where are my manners. I am Doctor Daniel Pierce. Daniel Pierce the third, actually,” he added genially. “Both my father and my grandfather carried that name. Hopefully someday I’ll have a son, and pass it on again.” Pierce rose from his chair, his cigarette and glass in one hand, the bottle of scotch in the other. “Lieutenant—it’s been a pleasure. You have some interesting ideas. Someday you and I will have to have a long talk about your impressions of these creatures.”

I’m not telling you a blessed thing, Spade thought. But he said nothing, merely standing and saluting as protocol required.

Dr. Pierce took inventory of his full hands and shook his head sadly. “I’ll have to owe you one,” he said to Spade, brushing past the other soldier who was staring curiously at the bottle of scotch. “I’d best be going. I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow.”

“Major….Doctor,” the soldier amended hastily at a warning glance from Pierce. “Your medical team has also been informed of the General’s orders. They want to know when you’d like to start the tests.”

“Tomorrow morning,” Pierce replied, yawning. “I need to get some rest.”

“Yes, sir, Doctor Pierce.”

THE END

********************************************************************************************

TO BE CONTINUED IN COMES THE INQUISITOR.
BRIVARI: "In our language, the root of the word 'Covari' means 'hidden'. I'm always there, Your Highness, even if you don't see me."