Beware of the Phoenix (AU,M/L,TEEN) Complete 23/4/07

Finished stories set in an alternate universe to that introduced in the show, or which alter events from the show significantly, but which include the Roswell characters. Aliens play a role in these fics. All complete stories on the main AU with Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Oz »

Thanks Strawberry88 and Emz80m. I hope you enjoy the next part ...

“Zan?”

“Father.” Zan replied, turning away from the window, towards his father who had entered the room.

“How are you son?” Xavier asked, placing a hand on Zan’s shoulder.

“Just breathing.” Zan replied honestly. “That’s all I can do right now.”

“She will be missed by all of us. She was … an amazing woman.”

“That’s an understatement.” Zan replied, but grateful for his father’s admission.

“Son. I know it has only been a month, but the council wants to know …”

“Tell them no.” Zan replied, not needing to hear their request. He knew what they wanted.

“Zan. The country needs leadership. They need to know someone is in charge now that Akira has gone.”

“Why does the council want me?” Zan asked, wanting to know why they were so adamant that he became King.

“Because they trust Akira’s judgement. She wanted you to be King, so the council does too.”

“But who am I? I’m not a King. I can’t do this without her.” Zan protested. “Let’s put the council in charge. We’ll get rid of the monarchy and establish a democracy.”

“The people need stability. Antar has had a monarchy for thousands of years. Why change now?”

“Because the royal blood line has gone. Akira was the last after the death of her parents, and now she …” But Zan couldn’t bring himself to say it.

Xavier pulled his son into his arms to comfort him. It was amazing how long it had been since he had held Zan like this, and even more amazing that Zan still felt so small in his arms.

“Son, I know you’re hurting, but Akira would have wanted you to be King, even without her by your side.”

“I know.” Zan replied, wiping his eyes.

“Will you think about it?” Xavier asked, knowing that Zan would eventually make the right decision.

“I will.” Zan promised.

The door suddenly burst open and Sean rushed into the room.

“What is it?” Zan asked, immediately standing to attention. The look on Sean’s face was not good, so his stomach lurched. They hadn’t found Akira had they?

“I’m sorry to interrupt, but we’ve just had reports from the north. There’s rumours that Kivar has returned.” Sean announced.

“W-what?” Zan stammered. “That can’t be. He died, we watched him die.”

“I’m just telling you what I’ve been told. We are trying to get proof one way or the other.” Sean replied. “But the council is getting edgy.”

“We cannot risk Kivar returning to claim the throne. Technically he is the next in line, being Akira’s cousin.” Xavier interrupted.

Zan turned and faced the window for a moment, deep in thought. Did Kivar have something to do with Akira’s disappearance? Had he hurt her? Zan clenched his fist, trying to control his anger, before returning to face Sean and his father.

“Advise the council. There will be a coronation tomorrow.”

“Thank you son.” Xavier said, patting Zan on the shoulder. “You have made the right decision.”

“I’ll let them know immediately.” Sean replied, rushing from the room.

“It’s too tight. I can’t breathe.” Mia gasped, as her maids tightened the bodice around her bulging stomach.

“It has to be tight so nobody can tell you’re pregnant.” Deakin said, walking into the room. Mia was getting dressed for her first visit to the palace, and if Deakin had timed it right, it would be just in time to stop the coronation.

“Why does it matter if they know I am pregnant? What does that have to do with my claim for the throne?” Mia demanded. She didn’t mean to snap at Deakin, but her hormones were running off the charts.

“Let’s just say it’s a card in my hand that I’m not ready to reveal just yet.” Deakin tried to smooth over the situation.

Mia eyed him carefully. She trusted him, she always had, but lately she wondered if there was more to the story that he wasn’t telling her.

“Now, you’d better hurry up. The coronation is about to begin.” Deakin said in a sing-song voice as he left the room.

The music began and Zan began the long walk up the red carpet running down the centre of the Great Hall. As he reached about halfway, he looked over to the tables on the edge of the room, and remembered when he and Akira had hid under the tables to hear the message from the prophet. He had been worried then about her safety and it turned out that he had every right to be worried. He wished she was with him now, waiting for him at the front of the Hall with his crown. Instead his father, and other council members where doing the honours.

He reached the front of the hall and knelt on the steps in front of the two empty thrones. He momentarily received a flash of Akira sitting on the throne smiling down at him, but in an instant it was gone. He turned his attention to his father who had started reciting the oath he was to take in the final step to becoming King of Antar.

“Wait!” A voice yelled from the back of the room, which was followed by collective gasps from the crowd, some of whom began to kneel.

Zan stood up abruptly and saw a man and a woman at the end of the hall. The man was tall and unfamiliar, but the woman – it wasn’t. It couldn’t be.

Zan began striding towards them, and his stride became a run when he saw the woman more clearly.

“Akira?” Zan breathed, unable to raise his voice above a whisper. Tentatively he reached out a hand to touch her, hesitating for a moment in case it turned out she was a ghost, just like the figment on the throne earlier.

The woman recoiled from his touch in confusion, and Zan was left bewildered. Suddenly he was grabbed by the man standing next to her.

“I would request that you refrain from touching my wife.” The man said, putting himself in between the two.

“Your wife?” Zan asked confused. Looking at the woman now, he did see slight differences in the woman’s appearance to Akira’s, but it wasn’t the first time she had been able to change her appearance. But the fact that she had pulled away from his touch so abruptly made him doubt himself. Akira would never do that.

“Wh-who are you?” Zan asked, still unable to take his eyes off the woman.

“Let me introduce you to Princess Mia, sister of the late Queen, and thereby heir to the throne.” The man announced.

There was another gasp through the audience, and some of the council members strode up behind Zan.

“Sister?” Zan said, taking a look at the woman. “Akira never had a sister.”

“Oh, but she did. She just didn’t know it.” Deakin replied. “Mia was born two years earlier, before the King and Queen were married. She was sent off to the country to hide the King’s indiscretion.”

“It’s true.” A voice said from behind Zan. Turning around, Zan saw one of the older members of the council come forward.

“The King and Queen had an affair while the King was engaged to another. They conceived a child who could never be acknowledged as their own.” The councilman said.

“How do you know this?” Zan demanded. And why had Akira never been told of it?

“I was a member of the Royal Guard in my youth, and I was assigned to watch over the Queen in her confinement. I was sworn to secrecy, and have never breathed a word of it.”

“We’ll need proof that this is the woman you speak of.” Another councilman said.

“Why, of course.” Deakin replied. “And when you have your proof, I expect you will be restoring her to her rightful position as Queen of Antar.”

“Let’s just see what the tests say before we make any promises.” Xavier said.

As the councilmen and Deakin were making arrangements, Zan couldn’t keep his eyes off Mia. She looked so much like Akira, that he almost couldn’t breathe. It wasn’t Akira though, he kept telling himself. If it had been, he would feel their connection, but there was nothing. The emptiness inside of him remained.

“Install her in the Royal Chambers.” Zan announced to one of the servants, who hurried to make a room up for her.

“I expect you are tired from your journey.” Zan said to Mia. “Rest a while before taking the DNA test.”

“Thank you sir.” Mia replied, curtseying.

“Do not courtesy to me.” Zan said, reaching for Mia’s hand. “I know without seeing the test that you are indeed Akira’s sister, and therefore royalty.”

Taking Mia’s hand and bowing, Zan was suddenly overcome with images of the dream he had had the previous night of making love to Akira. He quickly released her hand in shock.

“Are you alright Zan?” Xavier asked, concerned.

“Yes… Yes I’m fine.” Zan said, catching his breath. Looking at Mia, she would not meet his eyes again. He wondered if she too had seen the images, and he hoped he hadn’t frightened her.

“The coronation will not be occurring today.” Zan announced to the crowd in the room before striding out of the hall.

As soon as he was alone, Zan fell to his knees and cried. He had been so hopeful that it had been Akira, and now that Mia was here, he would have a constant reminder of Akira and all that he had lost.
"Do you see what we’ve done?
We’ve gone and made such fools of ourselves..."
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Oz »

Thanks for the feedback L-J-L 76 and broe. I hope you enjoy the next part.

Zan paced his room. He felt agitated and unsettled. It wasn’t because there was a huge possibility that he wasn’t going to become King which he knew would have disappointed Akira. It also wasn’t because he discovered that Akira had a sister that she never knew. It was because Akira’s sister was too familiar, too similar, too much like Akira.

He had watched Mia all night at the dinner table, not even caring about the daggers he was receiving from the eyes of the husband sitting next to her. He watched Mia use her fork in her right hand to scoop up her peas, just like Akira used to do. Akira always refused to follow etiquette, even for diplomatic dinners, arguing that her guests would be waiting all night to finish eating her food if she was forced to eat her peas properly, one by one, with her fork in her left hand. Zan always found it adorable.

Zan also watched as Mia kept tucking her hair behind her ear whenever it fell in front of her face, just as Akira did whenever she was nervous. The more Zan thought about it, the more convenient it was that one month after Akira went missing, Mia turned up to claim the throne. Where was she when Akira was still alive? Technically, if Mia was who she said she was, she was the rightful heir to the throne with or without Akira since she was allegedly two years older. Something wasn’t right.

Now Zan was pacing his room, having woken from another dream about Akira and the night they spent together that he was unable to remember but in his dreams. He was unable to get the thought of both Akira and Mia out of his head. Since seeing Mia he had allowed himself to hope that Akira was still alive. He knew if Mia was Akira, he would feel her. Their connection was too strong to ignore. That was the only reason that he held any doubt that the woman in the next room was not his wife. What he needed to do was to get her alone, away from her husband who watched her like a hawk, as if expecting something to happen between them. He guessed that her husband knew all too well how similar Mia was to Akira, and how Zan wouldn’t be able to get passed it.

Zan was still pacing at five in the morning, and decided to make his way to the kitchen for an early breakfast. Akira was always an early riser and rarely waited until the kitchen staff were awake. He would often find her there, sitting on the kitchen bench, with a bowl of cereal in hand. She would always have out an extra spoon in case he should turn up.

This morning, as he flicked on the light switch, he expected the kitchen to be deserted. Instead, he found Mia sitting on the kitchen bench, eating a bowl of cereal.

“Hi …” Zan said, not disguising the surprise in his voice.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I know I probably shouldn’t be here …” Mia apologised, getting down from the bench.

“No, stay… It’s just I didn’t expect anyone to be here this early.” Zan replied, desperately not wanting her to leave.

“I should get going anyway. My husband will be wondering where I am.” Mia said, turning to leave.

“Don’t.” Zan said, placing a hand on Mia’s arm to stop her. As he did he heard he gasp at the same time as he received an image of making love to Akira.

“Who are you?” Zan demanded, as Mia took a quivering step out of his reach.

“I know what you are thinking – and I’m not her.” Mia replied.

“Every time I touch you, I receive an image of her when we were … together.”

“So do I.” Mia admitted.

“How do you explain that? How do you explain that you have the same mannerisms as she did? The same habits?” Zan demanded further.

“I can’t. I just know that I can’t be her.”

“Will you do something for me?” Zan asked.

“Of course Your Highness.” Mia replied.

“Zan, please.” Zan corrected her.

“Sorry … Zan.” Mia replied, and Zan’s heart almost melted hearing her say his name the same way Akira used to say it, accentuating the ‘Z’.

“I think that perhaps if I could connect with you, I could see for myself once and for all that you are not Akira.”

“O-okay.” Mia agreed hesitantly. What did she have to lose? Except perhaps receiving more images of making love to Zan. The feelings it created in her were feelings that should be reserved for her husband alone. Why had she never noticed before that her husband had never made her flutter the way it did when Zan was near? “What do I need to do?”

“I need to touch you …” Zan said, placing his hands hesitantly on Mia’s temples. “…and you need to let your mind go blank …”

“Okay.” Mia breathed.

“What did I say about touching my wife?” Deakin’s voice came from the door. “I would ask again that you remove your hands from her.”

Zan immediately pulled his hands away and took a step backwards.

“Mia… Don’t you think you should be getting ready for the test?” Deakin asked, indicating to the robe and slippers that Mia was still wearing.

“Of course … excuse me.” Mia said, curtseying to Zan before exiting the room.

“Zan.” Deakin began with a grin. “I know you believe that Mia is your late wife, but you need to accept the fact that Akira is gone.”

“I won’t.” Zan replied defiantly.

“Well … you’ll spend the rest of your life trying to find her to no avail.” Deakin smiled.

“Maybe. Or maybe she’s right under my nose.” Zan replied, trying to shake the feeling that Deakin sounded like he knew something about Akira’s disappearance.

“Mia is not Akira. If she was, you would know it wouldn’t you? But there’s no connection is there? You know that means that what I’m saying is true. Mia is not Akira.” Deakin said, before walking out of the room, leaving Zan alone.

Zan knew Deakin was right. He would have felt a connection with Mia if Akira was still in there somewhere. But how does that explain why there was a spare spoon on the kitchen next to where Mia had been sitting, as if she was waiting for him to join her for breakfast. And how did it explain the image he had received from Mia in the brief moment that he had made a connection before being interrupted by Deakin?

“What is it?” A bleary-eyed Sean demanded as he opened his bedroom door.

“I need a favour.” Zan said, barging his way into Sean’s room.

“Maria?” Zan said, realising Sean’s bed wasn’t empty.

“Zan!” Maria said, pulling the sheets higher up around her.

“I’m sorry. This is a bad time. I’ll come back later.” Zan said, turning to leave.

“No, don’t.” Maria said, sensing that Zan had something important to say. “Just give us a minute.”

Zan turned his back while Maria hopped out of bed and put some clothes on. Sean did the same, and straightened up the bed.

“What’s wrong?” Maria asked, indicating that it was okay for Zan to turn around again.

Zan turned to Sean. “You said there were reports of Kivar in the north?”

“Yeah. We haven’t received confirmation from our people yet. Why?”

“I need to organise a search party.” Zan replied.

“What exactly are we searching for?” Sean asked.

“A complex near the desert. It has hospital facilities and a row of cells.”

“We’ve tried this before, back when you had the images of Akira in the white room. We couldn’t find anything.”

“This time you have a starting point – Mia.” Zan replied. “Find out where she and Deakin have travelled from and start searching there.”

“You think Mia is Akira?” Maria asked.

“I don’t know, but I have a feeling that Deakin has something to do with Akira’s disappearance.”

“Look, I know the guy looks shifty, but he is after the crown after all. Why do you think he had anything to do with it?” Sean asked.

“Because of something he said to me. He told me that I would never find Akira.” Zan replied, remembering Deakin’s words and how confident he was about that fact. “I also received a vision from Mia. I had a glimpse of a cell. The same cell I saw when I connected with Akira after she was taken.”

“Maybe you were just remembering what you saw, and not receiving a flash from Mia?” Maria offered.

“Maybe. But it’s worth checking out. Will you go?” Zan asked Sean.

“Of course I will. I’ll do some checking into Deakin’s background and assemble a team. I’ll have some answers for you as soon as I can.” Sean said, placing a hand on Zan’s shoulder before leaving the room.

Zan sat down on the end of the bed, placing his head in his hands.

“Do you really think Mia is Akira?” Maria asked, sitting down next to him.

“I don’t know. There’s so much about her that reminds me of Akira, but that could just be because they share the same DNA right?” Zan replied.

“I don’t know how any DNA could make Mia eat her peas the same way as Akira used to.”

“You noticed that too, huh?”

“I want her to be Akira as much as you do.”

“I just don’t understand why there’s no connection. You can only break a connection between two people on death.”

“Maybe someone found another way?” Maria offered.

“Maybe. Or maybe we just don’t know when it’s time to let go.”
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Oz »

Thanks Emz80m, Erina, sunshine6258 (I'd love a job like yours!) and L-J-L 76. Sorry it's been a while between parts. Downside of having too many fics going at once. I promise to try harder in future!

“So. You and Sean.” Zan said, wanting to change the subject. “I didn’t see that coming.”

“ Yeah, well … they say opposites attract.” Maria joked.

“So you’ve forgiven him for what happened back on Earth? Manipulating you, and cheating on Liz?”

“You know I don’t even associate this Sean with the one on Earth. He is so different now. I really think he has changed and is trying to be a better person.”

“He has. It took me a while to learn to trust him again, but he has become a really good friend, and has been invaluable to me during this last month.” Zan confessed.

“I know. He’s always been there for me ever since Liz disappeared. Even if it has just been a shoulder to cry on when I had no one else to turn to.”

“I’m sorry I haven’t been there for you.” Zan apologised. He had been hit so hard by Akira’s disappearance that he wasn’t as responsive to what others might be going through.

“That’s okay Zan.” Maria replied, placing a hand on his shoulder. “I understand.”

“Oh my goodness … I just realised that I haven’t even told Liz’s parents that she’s missing. I can’t believe I could have been that self-involved. They have a right to know.”

“Hey … It’s okay. I must admit I have thought about it myself, but how do you tell someone their daughter might be dead? I didn’t want to do it until we had some proof … one way or another.” Maria tried to comfort him. “But I agree with you. We should tell them what’s going on. Do you want me to go?”

“No. I’m the one responsible. I should be the one to tell them. But I’d love some company…” Zan suggested.

“Of course I’ll come with you. I’d love to see my family again anyway. When do you want to go?”

“This morning after Mia’s DNA test. Speaking of which, I’ve got to go.” Zan replied. “I’ll meet you back here in an hour?”

“I’ll be here.” Maria replied.

“We’re ready to begin.” The doctor announced.

A crowd had gathered to watch Mia take the DNA test. She was sitting on a hospital bed looking nervous, especially when the doctor picked up the needle.

“You’ll be fine.” Zan said, seeing the fear in her eyes and wanting to do anything he could to comfort her. “Just think about something else, like … what’s your favourite food?”

“Chocolate.” Mia replied.

“What type of chocolate?” Zan prompted, as the doctor drew closer with the needle.

“Choc-mint. No wait, chocolate honeycomb.”

“Mmmm … my personal favourite. What about chocolate milkshakes?” Zan suggested.

“I prefer vanilla.” Mia replied.

Zan just smiled, and Mia wondered from the look on his face what she had said that had made him so happy.

“That wasn’t so hard was it?” The doctor said, and Mia was surprised to find the doctor had already taken the test, and she had been so caught up talking to Zan that she hadn’t noticed the needle pricking her skin. “We’ll have the results sometime tomorrow.”

“Let’s go Mia.” Deakin said, wanting to get Mia as far away from Zan as possible. He was worried about the way Zan was looking at her.

Zan watched as Deakin and Mia left the room, and he immediately went to find Maria.

“It’s her Maria!” Zan announced immediately.

“What? You could tell that from the DNA test?” Maria asked confused.

“No, not the test. I was talking to her about her favourite food. She said it was chocolate.”

“Yeah so? You ask any girl and she’ll tell you her favourite food is chocolate.”

“But we don’t have cocoa on Antar, so we can’t make chocolate. It’s a food only found on Earth. How many Antarians do you know of that have been to Earth?” Zan said excitedly. “She also said her favourite milkshake flavour was vanilla.”

“Oh … my … goodness. It’s Liz!” Maria replied, seeing exactly what was making Zan so excited.

“So. What are we going to do now?” Maria asked, beginning to pace the floor, hoping it would help her formulate a plan of getting her best friend back.

“I don’t know. Deakin is watching her like a hawk. We need to spend some time with her alone, and find some way of helping her regain her memories.” Zan said.

“I’ve got just the idea. Why don’t you ask her to come to Earth with us? It may help jog some memories.”

“What about her husband?” Zan said, immediately seeing the flaw in their plan.

“Convince Mia to go. If she’s anything like the Liz we used to know, she’ll find a way to go if it is something she really wants to do.” Maria suggested.

Zan immediately went off to find Mia, and found her alone, wandering around the grounds.

“Where’s your husband?” Zan asked.

“Your majesty …” Akira said startled.

“What did I say about calling me Zan?” Zan replied. “Besides, I have not been coronated, so that is not my title.”

“I’m sorry Zan.” Mia blushed. “I guess I just always thought of you as King because you were married to the Queen.”

“You didn’t answer my question. Where’s your husband?”

“Oh, he had to leave on important business. He will be back shortly.”

“Do you have any plans for the rest of the day?” Zan asked.

“I wish I did. I need something to get my mind off waiting for the results.” Mia admitted.

“I have just the thing. How would you like to take a trip with me?”

“Where?”

“Earth.” Zan replied, with a grin.

“E-earth?” Mia stammered.

“Yeah. I have to visit Akira’s Earth parents, and for what I need to tell them, I really need some company.”

“What about Maria? Can’t she go with you?” Mia asked.

“She is. But she has a family of her own to see. Please agree to come. It’s not often you are offered the chance to travel to another planet.” Zan smiled.

“O-okay. I’d love to come. I’d love to learn all about my sister’s life.”

“Good.” Zan replied, grateful that she would be open to him trying to prompt her memories by talk about Akira and her life as Liz. “Let’s go.”

“What about my husband?” Mia asked, and Zan’s face dropped at the mention of him. Did she really want to bring him? “I need to let him know where I am.”

“Of course.” Zan smiled with relief. “I’ll make sure he is told where you are the moment he returns.”

“Now, the first thing we need to do is get you into some of Akira’s Earth-clothes. You’ll definitely stand out wearing that gown.” Zan said taking Mia’s hand in his and leading her back to the palace where Maria was already waiting with some of Liz’s clothes.

“I think I’m going to be sick …” Mia announced as soon as their feet touched Earth. And she was. The morning sickness was hitting her more than usual, probably because of the fact they had just beamed themselves across the galaxy and were now on another planet with a slightly different atmosphere.

“Are you okay?” Zan asked, pulling her hair back for her, and handing her a handkerchief.

“Is it just me or is this world spinning a lot faster than ours?” Mia said, before throwing up again.

“I think it’s just you.” Zan joked, but he wasn’t smiling. He hated seeing Mia feeling ill. “Why don’t we just sit here for a while until you feel better?”

Mia gratefully sat down, leaning back against a boulder next to Zan. She longed to tell him the reason she was feeling sick, but she remembered how adamant her husband had been that no one knew yet. When Zan clasped her hand in his, her stomach began to settle, and a warm energy ran through her body.

“How do you always do that?” She asked him.

“Do what?” He replied confused.

“Always manage to soothe me and make everything seem better.”

“Because … although you don’t remember, we had a connection once. I guess it’s still there somewhere even though I can no longer feel it.” Zan replied.

Mia quickly let go of her hand and stood up.

“I’m not her …” She said, stepping away from him.

“You are. I don’t know how but you are.”

“I’m not! Please stop doing this!” She pleaded.

“I can’t.” Zan replied.

“So that is why you asked me to come. So you could get me away from your husband and ambush me!” She screamed. She was honestly scared of what Zan was intending.

“I wanted you to come because it might help you remember who you are.”

“Well your plan backfired. Nothing looks familiar – because I’ve never been here before!” Mia replied forcefully.

“Then how do you explain the chocolate?” Zan replied.

“What do you mean?” Mia asked confused.

“Chocolate is only found on Earth. It is not an Antarian food.”

Mia looked shocked for a moment. That couldn’t be right. She had definitely remembered eating chocolate, but she had never been to Earth before.

“Maybe my husband got it for me?” She suggested.

“No. You are Akira. You’re my wife!” Zan said desperately.

“I want to go home.” She replied, tears starting to pool in her eyes.

“Zan. Stop.” Maria said, having gotten off the phone to Kyle to come and get them. She took Mia by the arm and putting some space between her and Zan. “Don’t push.”

“I’m sorry Mia.” Maria said, turning to Mia as they walked away from Zan together. “You have to understand that Zan was deeply in love with Akira, and you are so similar to her … He’s having a hard time separating the two of you.”

“I’m not her Maria.” Mia explained.

“I know.” Maria said sympathetically, not because she believed her, but because she wanted to soothe her and get Mia to trust her.

“What can I do to make Zan see that I’m not who he wants me to be?” Mia asked desperately.

“Connect with me.” Zan said, suddenly appearing behind them.

“No.” Mia replied, taking a step backwards.

“Why not?” Zan asked. “What are you afraid you will see?”

“I’m afraid you’ll manipulate my memories, just so you can continue to believe that I’m Akira.”

“I would never do that.” Zan replied defensively.

“I don’t trust you.” Mia bit back.

Zan’s face dropped. He felt like he had been kicked in the guts. He was so desperate to get Mia to see who she really is, that he was pushing her further away from him. Soon he would have no chance to get her back.

Mia felt awful as soon as she said it. She could see the look of hurt flash across Zan’s face. She did trust him, she didn’t believe him but she trusted him. She didn’t trust herself to be near him, and she didn’t want the images of them together if she connected with him. What she needed was space, so she turned and started walking down the deserted highway.

“Where are you going?” Zan asked, attempting to follow her.

“Away from you.” Mia replied. It probably wasn’t the most sensible thing to do, considering she was on an unfamiliar planet and Zan was the only way home. She had a momentarily feeling of de ja vu, that once before she had gone out alone when she had no way of knowing how to get back. She shook off the feeling as soon as it came.

“You don’t know where you’re going.” Zan said running up to her.

“I don’t care.”

“You do realise you are walking in the direction of Roswell, where you grew up. How do you explain that you knew which direction to walk in if you are not Akira?” Zan asked.

“I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. It doesn’t prove anything.” Mia replied.

“Maybe, Maybe not.” Zan replied.

In the distance a car began to slow down and pull off to the side of the road.

“Our ride’s here.” Maria announced.

“Hey guys. Long time no see.” Kyle said, giving Maria a hug, and then hugged Mia. “How’s married life Liz?”

Mia immediately pulled away in confusion.

“Uh … Kyle?” Maria began, pulling him away where he was studying Mia’s reaction quizzically. “That’s not Liz.”

“What do you mean that’s not Liz? Who is she?” Kyle asked, taking another look at Mia.

“It’s a long story, but the short version is – this is Akira’s long lost sister.” Maria explained.

“And where’s Liz?” Kyle asked, still confused.

“That’s the long part of the story. Liz is missing – possibly dead.”

“What!?” Kyle exclaimed.

“We’ll fill you in on the way back to Roswell.” Maria replied, holding the door opening for Mia to get into the back seat. Zan quickly followed her and Maria took a front seat next to Kyle so she could explain what was going on.

Mia put on her seatbelt and stared out the window, attempting to ignore Zan staring at her.

“Ever been in a car before?” Zan asked.

“No.” Mia replied. “You know for a fact that there are no cars on Antar.”

“Then how do you explain the fact that the first thing you did when getting in the car was to put your seatbelt on?” Zan smiled.

Mia turned to him astonished. She hadn’t even thought about it. It had been an automatic reaction. Maybe there was some truth to what Zan was saying, and that scared her more than anything in the world.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Oz »

Thanks Emz80m and midnightstar29 and any lurkers out there who are still reading this fic.

“I think you’d better wait out here for a minute.” Zan said, as they reached Liz’s parents front door.

Mia just nodded. She hadn’t spoken a word to anyone since getting into the car. Maria and Kyle had dropped them off at Liz’s parents place before heading to their own, but not before Maria pulled Zan aside and made him promise not to push Mia for any more answers. So far Zan had been true to his word, but Mia could just imagine what Zan was explaining to Akira’s Earth parents at that very moment.

As she sat down on the front steps, with her head in her hands, she felt so confused. The main thing that was bothering her is that even though she was on another planet, nothing looked unfamiliar or alien to her. She wasn’t even surprised by the colour of the sky, as though she was used to seeing a blue sky instead of a pink one. The connotations of what that meant scared her to death, which made her even more determined not to believe Zan’s theory about who she was. She was not Akira. It wasn’t possible for her whole life to be a lie. It wasn’t possible that Deakin was not her real husband…

“Mia?” Zan’s soft voice came from the doorway, interrupting her thoughts. “Do you want to come in and meet Liz’s parents?”

Mia rose, dusted herself off, and followed Zan inside, just in time to see Liz’s mother dab her eyes with a tissue.

“Mia. You are very welcome here.” Liz’s mother said, giving her a hug. As their skin made contact Mia had an image of Liz’s mother cradling her as a baby.

“No.” Mia said, taking a step backwards. “Not you too.”

Liz’s mother looked confused, and Zan immediately stepped between them.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, taking her hand.

“You don’t give up do you?” She snapped, pulling her hand free of his. “You keep making me see these images of Akira, hoping that I’ll believe your lies.”

“I’m not making you see anything. All of your visions are coming from within you. Your memories are trying to surface.” Zan replied.

“Stop it.” Mia said, taking a step backwards and on the verge of tears.

“Mia? Why don’t you come with me and have a rest in Liz’s old room. You must be tired from the journey.” Liz’s mum interrupted, reaching to guide Mia to Liz’s room, but withdrawing her hand immediately, not wanting to give Mia any more images. “It’s just this way.”

Mia followed, wanting some space where she could just think, away from Zan.

After Liz’s mother left the room, Mia started looking around the room at her sister’s life. There were school books still piled up on the desk, posters on the wall and clothes still hanging in the cupboard. Instinctively, Mia made her way out onto the balcony, to the back wall. Pulling out a lose brick in the wall she reached in to find a journal that had been hidden. As she held it in her hands she couldn’t understand how she had known to look for the journal there, and why she felt the need to read what it contained.

She settled herself down on a fold-out chair and pulled a rug over her. Flipping open the journal she began reading from the beginning, all about Liz’s dreams of flying through space, and the days leading up to Akira’s escape from the palace during the siege. At certain moments Mia would receive a flash of images, such as the pods, the King and Queen, the soldiers. By the end she was in tears, overwhelmed by the images of the King and Queen lying in a pool of their own blood. She didn’t even notice that Zan had come out onto the balcony until he was sitting beside her.

“Are you okay?” He asked tentatively.

“No.” She replied, throwing herself into his arms.

“What’s wrong?” Zan asked, stroking her hair and attempting to comfort her. “Is it about before? I’m sorry for pushing you.”

“It’s not that.” Mia replied, pulling away. “I read Liz’s journal”.

“Where did you find that?” Zan asked, now noticing it on her lap. Picking it up he turned it over in his hands. It felt like a lifetime ago that he had given it to Liz.

“Behind a loose brick in the wall.” Mia replied. “And no, before you ask, I don’t know how I knew to find it there.”

Zan’s eyes lit up. He knew that bringing her back here would help with her memories.

“While I was reading it I received images of Akira’s parents murdered, and of Akira fleeing the palace. And I saw you …” Mia explained.

“How do you explain that? If you’re not Akira?” Zan prompted.

“Maybe I received images from Akira by touching her journal? Maybe you gave me the images? Maybe when Akira died, somehow she transferred some of herself to me?” Mia suggested, grasping at any hope that what she was beginning to suspect, wasn’t true.

“… Or maybe you’re Akira, and someone has manipulated your memories.” Zan suggested.

“But Akira was strong, I’ve heard all the stories. How could someone be able to do that to her without her being able to defend herself?”

“I don’t know.” Zan replied, happy that finally Mia was entertaining the idea that she and Akira were one and the same. “It’s not the first time Akira has lost all of her memories. I don’t know how they did this to her, but the more time I spend with you, the more I’m convinced that you are Akira.”

“Maybe you just want me to be her so much that you are clinging onto the slightest little things that don’t prove anything.”

“But those small things are beginning to build up.” Zan pointed out. “There’s one way to settle this once and for all – connect with me.”

It was true. If she connected with Zan they could see the truth. But was she ready for that? Was she ready to leave the life she remembered? But then again, maybe it would confirm that she is not Akira, and Zan would stop pushing her for answers.

“Okay.” She replied after deliberation. “I will connect with you if you promise that if you don’t get any proof, you’ll drop the idea that I’m Akira - forever.”

“I promise.” Zan said, so sure that he would find the proof he needed.

“Okay. You need to close your eyes and empty your mind.” Zan said, putting his hands to her temples.

When Zan touched her skin, he immediately received an image of making love to Akira, but as soon as he tried to delve deeper into her subconsciousness, there was a blast of green light, and Mia was thrown across the balcony.

“Mia! Mia? Are you okay?” Zan asked, running over to her limp body.

There was no response, so Zan immediately began running his hands over her body to check for any injuries that he was able to heal. He concentrated on her head first, and found there was a substantial block that he was unable to get through. Obviously whoever had changed her memories had put in some kind of defence if someone ever attempted to access her mind.

Moving lower down her body, Zan healed a few minor cuts and a broken wrist from where Mia had landed on her hand to break her fall. Continuing down her abdomen he came to her womb and sensed a life growing inside of her. He was able to connect with the child, and immediately felt a sense of peace. He quickly checked the rest of Mia for any other broken bones, before carrying her to Liz’s bed. He couldn’t heal the head injury due to the block that had been put in place, so he hoped that she would recover in her own time. Pulling the covers over her, the only thought in his mind was, if Mia was really Akira, then whose baby was it?
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Oz »

Sorry I have taken so long to post this part. My only excuse is that I have been getting more feedback over on 'Against the Tide' and therefore slightly more motivated to concentrate on that one (although personally this is my favourite of my fics). So thanks to Emz80m for giving me a kick I needed.

I the whole three of you still reading this fic enjoy (and can actually remember where we are up to since it has been so long!)

“Zan? Are you in here?” Maria asked, creeping through Liz’s bedroom door. Zan was sitting under the windowsill, leaning up against the wall just staring at Mia’s unconscious form.

“Is Mia okay?” Maria asked, seeing the look of concern on Zan’s face.

“You mean Akira?” Zan replied.

“Really! You found proof it’s really her?” Maria exclaimed excitedly.

“Not conclusive proof. But there is no doubt in my mind that it’s her.”

“What happened? Did she remember something?” Maria asked, wondering just how Zan could be so sure.

“She had a flash when she touched Liz’s mum; she knew where Liz kept her diary; she remembered the attack on the palace all those years ago; and someone has put a block in her mind so that I can’t connect with her.”

“Why is she asleep?” Maria asked, looking at Liz’s bed.

“I don’t know.” Zan replied honestly.

“What happened?” Maria asked.

“I tried to connect with her, and I couldn’t get through. There was a blast, and Akira went flying. Now she won’t wake up.” No longer able to refer to her as ‘Mia’, unable to pretend any more that Akira and Mia could possibly be two separate people.

“Oh no…” Maria said, walking over to where Akira lay still. “Have you tried healing her?”

“Yes. I’ve tried everything.”

“What are we going to do?” Maria asked. “It’s getting late.”

Zan looked at the sunset through Liz’s window. If they didn’t leave soon, they would miss their scheduled departure time. He could only imagine the reaction he was going to get from Mia’s husband, especially if he was aware that his ‘wife’ was pregnant. Pregnant … Zan couldn’t bear the thought that she could have made love to someone other than him.

“We’re going to have to take her like this.” Zan announced suddenly, shaking the previous thoughts from his mind.

“I’ll get Kyle to help carry her to the car.” Maria said exiting the room.

Zan got up from his place on the floor and moved towards Akira’s unconscious body. Kneeling down at the side of Liz’s bed, he took her hand.

“I’m so sorry for pushing you. It’s my fault that this happened.” Zan apologised. “I just want you to wake up. Please wake up… I thought I had lost you forever, and now that I’ve found you again you just have to come back to me. You just have to …”

There was no movement, and when Maria and Kyle entered the room, Zan had to resign himself to the fact that he couldn’t do any more to help her.

After the three of them had successfully carried Akira to the car, Zan sat in the back with her and cradled her limp body in his arms.

“What are we going to tell Deakin?” Maria asked suddenly.

“I’ll be damned if I’m letting him anywhere near my wife ever again.” Zan replied, pulling Akira towards him as if daring anyone to take her from him.

“Without proof …” Maria began.

“We’ll just have to get proof.” Zan interjected.

“And until then?”

“I’ll throw him in jail if I have to, just to keep him away from her.”

“What if he has nothing to do with Akira’s memory loss? What if he really cares for her? What if he’s innocent?” Maria argued.

“He’s not innocent. Akira was gone for a month. A month! Who falls in love and marries within a month, and then concocts a story about having known each other for years? Believe me; he has everything to do with this.” Zan replied.

“So how will you prove it?” Maria asked, wanting to know exactly what plan was going through Zan’s head.

“Sean will find something, and if not, Akira’s memory will return. I’m sure of it.” Zan replied confidently.

They reached the departure point just in time, and as if on queue, a light beamed from the sky. Maria and Zan quickly said their goodbyes to Kyle, and stepped into the light, with Zan still carrying Akira’s body. Within seconds they were gone, and Kyle was left alone in the desert.

When they reached Antar, they weren’t surprised to find a welcoming committee.

“Where the hell have you been?” Deakin roared, and when he saw Mia’s unconscious body he panicked. “What did you do to her?”

“She fell and hit her head.” Zan replied, almost truthfully. “I’ll have the palace doctors attend to her immediately.”

Deakin studied Zan for a moment as if trying to figure out exactly how much Zan knew. Zan stared back willing Deakin to accuse him of trying to connect with his wife, and thereby admitting that Deakin knew there was a block in her mind.

“Give her to me.” Deakin demanded, wanting to separate Zan from Akira before any more damage was done. Goodness knows what Zan had discovered on their little trip together.

“No.” Zan refused, beginning to walk in the direction of the doctor’s wing.

“I said, give her to me.” Deakin demanded again, this time through clenched teeth in an attempt to disguise his anger. This wasn’t how it was supposed to play out.

“I said no. I am taking her to see the doctor, and she will remain in his care until she is recovered. I will be insisting that she doesn’t receive any visitors during that time.” Zan responded.

“You have no right. She is my wife.” Deakin stated.

“So you say.” Zan replied before walking away with Akira in his arms.

After Zan had left Akria in the care of the doctors, and had two guards posted to the door with instructions not to let anyone into the room except himself, the doctors, and Maria, he headed to the chapel. Akira had had this chapel built to remind her of her father’s church on Earth. She and Zan were the only ones who used it, with the rest of the palace using the forest clearing as was customary on Antar.

Zan knelt down in one of the front pews, bowing his head and clasping his hands. He had spent a lot of time in the chapel since Akira’s disappearance, everyday praying for news that she was alive. Now he had no doubt in her mind that she was, so his prayer was now that she was going to recover, that she would regain her memories so they could be together again.

“Zan.” Maria whispered quietly, not wanting to startle Zan. “She’s awake.”

Zan jumped to his feet and without a word ran as fast as he could to the hospital wing. When he reached her room he looked through the small window in the door and watched Akira talking to the doctors. He couldn’t describe the happiness he felt at that moment, knowing that she was okay. But he also couldn’t describe the apprehension he felt wondering who would be behind that door when he opened it – Akira or Mia.

“Hey.” Zan said, as he walked into the room, but then hesitated from coming any closer when he felt the room suddenly get 10 degrees colder.

“They tell me that you won’t let my husband in to see me.” Mia said, her eyes darkening and her brow creasing into a frown. “So, am I a prisoner now, is that it?”

“No, you’re not a prisoner.” Zan denied. “I’m just trying to protect you.”

“Just like you protected your own wife?” Mia retorted, but immediately wished she hadn’t when she saw Zan visibly flinch like he had been slapped.

“You are my wife.” Zan replied, a little more quietly this time.

“Please don’t start that again.” Mia sighed. “I thought we had an agreement.”

“We did. And I got my proof.” Zan replied.

“What?” Mia asked, unsure if the reason her heart was beginning to beat wildly was because she was nervous to hear the truth, or because she desperately wanted Zan to tell her that he had proof that she was Akira – that she was his wife, his true love, his soul mate.

“Someone has placed a block in your mind preventing you from accessing your memories. When I tried to break through it sent a blast of energy from your body and sent you flying across the room.”

“I don’t believe you…” Mia said, but while rubbing the back of her neck that was still sore from her crash landing. “And I suppose you think you know who is responsible for this alleged block in my mind?”

“Deakin…”

“Oh come on …” Mia retorted.

“… so there is no way in hell I am letting him near you again until we can work out a way to remove it.”

“What are you going to do? Keep me locked up?” Mia laughed at the thought.

“That’s exactly what I’m going to do.” Zan replied, not wanting to be so harsh on Akira, but it was the only way of keeping her away from Deakin. Well, it was either that or lock Deakin up, and Zan really wasn’t sure he could get away with that without more conclusive proof.

“You can’t do this to me!” Mia screamed.

“I can. Until there’s a coronation, I’m the one in charge. I can do whatever the hell I like and no one will question it.”

“I won’t ever forgive you for doing this.” Mia threatened.

“Yeah well, it’s not the first time… But then again, you came around eventually that time too.” Zan replied before walking out of the room.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Oz »

Thanks Emz80m and midnightstar29. It's good to see I haven't completely lost all of my readers after such a long absence. :)

Zan immediately went to find a detachment of the Royal Guards and ordered them to take Deakin into custody. He wasn’t hard to find, having made his way to Akira’s hospital room demanding to be let in to see her.

“You have no right to do this!” He shouted at Zan, who watched as the Royal Guards dragged him away.

“Actually … I do.” Zan smirked, really enjoying the sight of Deakin defenceless.

“Mia is the rightful Queen. I am her husband. After our coronation you will wish to God that you had let me go. I will make your life a living hell – that’s if I let you live!” Deakin screamed.

“I believe that was just a threat on my life. In some cultures that would be considered treason and you could hang for that.” Zan continued to smirk.

“You have to let me see my wife.” Deakin demanded.

“My wife is resting and will not be taking any visitors.” Zan replied. “Guards! Take him to the dungeon.”

Deakin was dragged away, with much protesting. This wasn’t how he had planned it. Mia should have been made Queen by now, and he should be the one in charge, not Zan. And if Deakin couldn’t be at the announcement of the DNA results tomorrow, the whole thing could fall apart.

Zan checked with the doctors again on how Akira was doing, before turning in for the night. There had been no word yet from Sean on how the search was going, but it was early days yet. Zan fell asleep with the feeling that everything was going to be okay. Akira would regain her memories, and they would be happy again. And Deakin … well Deakin would rot in jail, or down in the mines, that is, if Akira let him live …

“How are you feeling today?” Zan asked Mia as he walked into the hospital room.

“Fine. No thanks to you.” Mia replied, obviously still upset at being locked up.

“You’ll thank me one day.” Zan replied.

“Not likely. Where is my husband?”

“In the dungeon, where he belongs.” Zan stated.

“I wish to God we never came here. I never wanted to be Queen.” Mia admitted.

“Akira felt that way too once. But she was a wonderful Queen.” Zan smiled, thinking back on how well she took to the role.

“Yeah, well, I’m not her.” Mia replied.

“Whatever you say. Ready for the test results?” Zan asked, changing the subject.

“Absolutely. One way or another the results will allow me to leave this prison. If they are negative, I get to go home. If they are positive, I’ll be crowned Queen and you will no longer have any control over me.”

“Or … the results confirm that you are indeed Akira and you stop fighting any attempt to regain your memories.” Zan provided a third option.

“Whatever… we’ll just have to wait and see.”

“That we shall.” Zan agreed, completely confident about what the results would be.

“So where are we doing this thing?” Mia asked, referring to the release of the test results.

“Right here. Any minute now actually.” Zan replied, looking at his watch.

“And will my husband be here?” Mia asked.

“I wish you would stop calling him that.” Zan said feeling exasperated. Every time she referred to Deakin as her husband, it gave him a mental image of them together that sent shivers down his spine. Akira was either carrying his child or Deakin’s. He wasn’t sure what he would do if it was the latter.

“How are you feeling?” Zan asked. If Akira was pregnant, then she was no doubt feeling a bit unwell, although disguising it very well.

“Fine. You?” Mia bit back.

“I’m good.” Zan replied, trying to not take offence to Mia’s tone.

“Good.” Mia replied, starting to take a large amount of interest in a fraying tassel on her blanket.

Zan didn’t know what else he could say that (a) he hadn’t already said, or (b) she wouldn’t jump down his throat at, so instead he paced the room until the doctor and council members entered the room.

“The results are ready.” The doctor began, and Zan stopped pacing.

“Well?” Zan demanded.

“Mia is definitely part of the royal family.” The doctor announced.

Everyone in the room weren’t sure whether to breathe a sigh of relief or to start getting worried.

“Is she Akira?” Zan demanded.

“The test is inconclusive.” The doctor replied.

“How can it be inconclusive?” Zan asked. He had been so sure that the test would prove once and for all that Mia was Akira.

“The majority of the DNA is the same, but there are some differences. These differences explain why Mia has different hair colour and slightly different facial features to Akira.”

“So why is that inconclusive?” Zan asked. It sounded as though the doctor was suggesting that Mia was definitely not Akira.

“Because the DNA that is different to Akira’s is the only DNA that can be deliberately manipulated. The DNA that makes up the physical appearance can be altered, by those who know how to, but the DNA that makes up the rest of the body cannot be changed.”

“So what you are saying is that it is possible that Mia is Akira, and her DNA has just been manipulated to change her appearance.” Zan summarised.

“Exactly.”

“And there’s no way of knowing for sure?” Zan asked.

“No. The only way of knowing if Mia is really Akira, is if she regains her memories.”

“What if Mia was pregnant?” Zan asked, trying to ignore the gasp that Mia had emitted after hearing that Zan knew of her pregnancy.

“Then the baby would share the DNA of the mother and the father.” The doctor replied. “It will have Mia’s DNA – not Akira’s.”

“But if it has mine, then it proves that the mother is my wife.”

“We could run the test…” The doctor suggested.

“No.” Mia refused.

“Mia… We have to do this. We have to know one way or another.” Zan pleaded.

“I can tell you right now that the baby isn’t yours. I’m only four weeks pregnant. Akira has been missing for more than a month.” Mia argued.

Zan felt sick. The baby wasn’t his. Akira’s baby wasn’t his. He couldn’t breathe.

“Run the test.” He ordered the doctor.

“No. I don’t know how you discovered I was pregnant, but I will not let those doctors near my baby.” Mia refused, and pulled her legs up to her body as a protection mechanism.

“Run the test.” Zan repeated.

“The DNA test proved I’m royalty right? Well then I order you not to run the test. I’m the Queen now, and Zan no longer has any authority over me.” Mia stated.

“It’s true Zan. Whether she is Akira or Mia – she is the heir to the throne.” One of the councilmen agreed.

Zan looked at Mia with so much pain in his eyes, that she almost changed her mind and agreed to give him anything he wanted. Almost. That was before she felt her arms and legs forcefully held against the bed by an unseen force, while Zan rushed forward with a needle and stuck it in her abdomen. While everyone else stood by, unable to move by the same force, Zan drew the needle out, looked into her eyes and had the nerve to tell her that he was sorry. Before anyone could restrain him, Zan ran from the room in the direction of the lab.

“Are you alright?” The doctor asked Mia as soon as he as able to move again.

“I can’t believe this is happening to me again…” Mia said, half to herself.

“Again?” The doctor asked confused.

Mia looked at him equally confused. She didn’t know why she had said that.

“I want Zan locked up, and my husband released immediately.” Mia ordered.

“Right away your majesty.” The councilmen replied, before leaving the room to order the Royal Guards to apprehend Zan.

“I will return to my chambers to prepare for the coronation.” Mia announced, getting up to leave the room.

As she stood up, a wave of dizziness almost knocked her to the floor, and she felt as if a knife had been stabbed through her heart. And she knew in that moment that it was not her heart that was breaking, but Zan’s.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Oz »

Can you believe I'm updating again?! Making up for lost time obviously (or I have far too much free time on my hands!).

Thanks for all the great feedback. I hope you enjoy the next instalment.

“Has Zan been apprehended?” Mia asked the councilman who had just entered her chamber. She had started getting ready for the hastily-arranged coronation, but instead, she paced her room feeling unsettled.

“There’s been a complication.” The councilman said.

“What kind of complication?” Mia asked as she stopped pacing.

“Zan has locked himself in the lab. He said he won’t come out until the test results are in.”

“Well, break down the door if you have to. Just get him out of there!” Mia demanded.

“Mia … your majesty. I beg you to reconsider.”

“You saw what he did to me. He assaulted me! There’s nothing to reconsider.” Mia replied, beginning to pace again.

“Please … He’s my son.”

Mia stopped pacing and stared at the councilman. Now she could see the resemblance, including the same sadness in his eyes.

“I know what he did was wrong. But if you knew what he has suffered over the last month not knowing whether his wife was dead or alive. If you knew how much he has suffered all of his life, in love with Akira but being unable to tell her, and then finally finding happiness, only to have it immediately ripped out from under him. How much he suffers now seeing you and being reminded of what he lost. If there’s any truth to his belief that the baby could be his, please let him run the test.” Xavier begged.

Mia walked to the window and stared out over the grounds. She was touched by what Xavier had said, and his obvious love for his son. If she did this one thing, this one forgiving thing, she would make an old man happy, and she would give Zan some peace. He would be convinced once and for all that she was not Akira, and he would leave her alone.

But then again, she had thought that he would leave her alone once she lied about how far along her pregnancy was. It had been an automatic response, she hadn’t even thought it through properly before she said it, only that it would be a sure-fire way to get Zan to stop the test. What she hadn’t realised until she said it was that she had subconsciously been wishing that Zan was right, that it was all true, and that he was the father of her child. Because of that realisation, it had hurt her so much more when Zan had run the test against her will.

“Fine.” Mia sighed. “Let him run his test. And once it is confirmed that he is not the father, I want him arrested.”

“And if he is?” Xavier prompted.

Mia turned away from the window to face Xavier. “If he is … then God help us.”

Xavier turned to leave, but hesitated at the door.

“Considering that possibility … do you still want your husband freed?” Xavier asked.

Mia thought for a moment. If everything Zan said was true, then her husband was responsible for kidnapping her, removing her memories and goodness knows what else. Even though the possibility was so remote that she couldn’t even comprehend it – the consequences of it being true scared her to death.

“Leave him locked up until the test results come back. And when they do – I want him to receive an official apology.” Mia replied.

“Thank you your highness.” Xavier replied gratefully before exiting the room and closing the door behind him.

Not long afterwards, there was a quiet knock on the door.

“Come in.” Mia called.

The door slowly opened to reveal a very timid Maria.

“Hi.” Maria said, stepping into the room. “I heard what happened. I wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“Did Zan send you?” Mia asked, wanting to find out what Maria’s ulterior motive was.

“No. I haven’t spoken to Zan since yesterday. I was worried about you.”

“I’m fine.” Mia replied.

“I can’t believe he did this to you, not after …” Maria began.

“Not after what?” Mia asked.

“Well, when Akira first went missing, Zan went to see Madam Vivian. While he was there she had a vision of someone leaning over Akira with a needle. The thought of that haunted him for weeks.” Maria explained.

“Well, what does that say about him if he could do that to me?” Mia asked.

“It means that he was so desperate to know the truth, that he felt that was the only option open to him.” Maria defended him. “And he’s probably hating himself for it.”

“I hope so.” Mia mumbled.

“Anyway … I didn’t come here to defend him.” Maria explained. “I came here to help you get ready for the coronation.”

“I can’t do it Maria.” Mia said, breaking down for the first time since it happened. Her legs gave way beneath her and she dropped to the floor next to her bed. Maria was immediately by her side and pulling her into a hug.

“Hey … hey, it’s okay.” Maria said, pulling Mia into a hug.

“I feel so lost…” Mia admitted. “… so alone.”

“You’re not alone. We’re all here for you.” Maria replied.

“I just want it all to be over. I don’t want this ‘big unknown’ hanging over my head any more. I’m just so tired.”

“You have had a big week. And I hear you’re pregnant, which can’t be helping. Are you feeling okay?” Maria asked.

“I’m fine. The nausea seems to have settled. I’m lucky I was able to travel before my confinement without feeling too sick.”

“Confinement? I thought they only did that in the old days?” Maria said, before remembering that she wasn’t on Earth any more. Maybe they still did that type of thing here?

“Yeah. Pregnant women are confined during their pregnancy because they are more susceptible.”

“Susceptible to what?” Maria asked. More susceptible to disease? Complications?

“Harm. Women temporarily lose their powers while pregnant, to aid the baby’s development. Once women begin to show, they are confined for their own protection.” Mia explained.

Alarm bells immediately went off in Maria’s head. Mia had just been able to explain what had been confusing them since Akira disappeared – just how someone had been able to overpower Akira. She had to tell Zan, but not wanting to alert Mia, she pretended as though Mia hadn’t just told her earth-shattering news, and listened to what Mia had started telling her.

“… I’m starting to get really weird cravings though.”

“Like what?” Maria asked.

“Currently – hot chocolate fudge sauce with fries.”

“I’ve got an idea.” Maria started. “Let’s kill two birds with one stone. You need to pass some time without having to think about what is going on in your life at the moment – so why don’t we call off this coronation-thing, and instead make our way to the kitchen and I’ll have the staff cook you up some french fries and a chocolate fudge sundae. We’ll talk about girl stuff over ice cream.”

“Sounds good.” Mia replied, smiling for the first time that day. “I don’t think I could have faced the coronation on my own anyway. My husband is locked in a cell, and Zan has locked himself in a lab.”

“When all of this is sorted, we’ll have the biggest coronation ever.” Maria promised.

“Unless I’m really Akira, in which case I’ve already been coronated.” Mia replied.

“Well, if that case we’ll have the biggest ‘welcome home’ party you’ve ever seen.” Maria smiled.

“Okay.” Mia replied.

“So how about that ice cream?” Maria asked, standing up and offering Mia her hand.

“Can we just make a short stop on the way?” Mia replied, letting Maria help her to her feet.

“We can go anywhere you want to go.”

Where Mia led them was the last place Maria expected Mia to go. Standing outside the lab, Mia watched Zan pace back and forth waiting for the test to run its course. There was a very tired lab technician sitting behind a machine, feeling sorry for himself that because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, he was stuck in the lab with Zan for the next twenty four hours.

Mia was looking at Zan intently. His eyes were red from crying, and she could see the agonising pain on his face. Unconsciously, she placed her hand on the window. In that moment Zan stopped pacing and turned around to look Mia in the eyes. He was surprised to see her there, but he was even more surprised at the look of sympathy on her face. Taking a few steps towards her, he reached up and placed his hand against the window against hers.

‘I’m sorry.’ Zan mouthed.

Mia immediately pulled her hand away from the window, as if suddenly remembering that she was supposed to be mad at Zan for what he did. She turned to walk away, unable to look Zan in the eye. As she walked down the hall and around the corner, she didn’t see Zan slouch against the wall and drop to the floor. She didn’t see him sobbing at the thought of what he had done to her, and she didn’t see the shattered, broken look on his face.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Oz »

Yes, I know, it's been a while.

I promise to try harder in future... I already have the next part 1/2 written.

Mia tossed and turned. It was still dark outside and she had been having a restless night sleep since she and Maria had finally retired, deciding that there was a point at which you could consume too much icecream.

She was having a nightmare. She was in a white room, surrounded by shrouded doctors with scary-looking instruments. She was strapped to a table, wearing nothing but a hospital gown. One of the doctors turned to her with a needle in his hand, pointed at her stomach.

“Noooooo …” she screamed as she felt the needle being pushed into her womb.

“My baby … my baby …” she whimpered, not understanding what was happening.

“My Master thanks you.” The doctor said, holding the needle up for Akira to see the blood he had drawn from her womb. Akira stared at the blood, and then back at the doctor, who had now manifested into Zan.

“And I thank you too.” Zan said grinning.

Mia woke with a start, and immediately felt her heart racing and the beads of sweet that had formed on her forehead. Her hand immediately went to her stomach, making sure that her baby was still okay. She felt the baby move inside her, as though letting her know that it was fine.

Mia climbed out of bed, and noticed that the sun was only just rising. She looked at the time. It was early, but the test results would be ready in just a few hours. There was no way she was going to be able to get back to sleep with that thought on her mind. Instead, she got dressed and headed to the kitchen for breakfast, wondering if there was any of that icecream left …

Five more minutes. That was all it was going to take for Zan to get the results. Just five more minutes.

He hadn’t slept a wink of sleep all night, and spent most of the time pacing the floor until the technician offered to beat him to a pulp if he didn’t stop it. Zan immediately threatened the technician with incarceration in the dungeon for insubordination, but then immediately apologised, knowing the hell he was putting the technician through by making him stay the night locked up in the lab with him. The technician probably had a wife and kids to go home to, yet here he was, and until that moment, had made few complaints about it.

“How much longer?” Zan asked, for the fiftieth time that morning.

“Five seconds less than when you last asked me.” The technician grumbled.

‘Why did time seem to have slowed to a slow crawl?’ Zan thought to himself before his attention was drawn to someone attempting to open the door. Preparing himself to forcibly bar anyone from coming through that door until the results were in, he found himself voluntarily walking towards the door and unlatching it, letting in the intruder. It was Mia.

“Hi.” Zan said feebly.

“Hi.” Mia replied.

“How are you? Are you okay?” Zan asked immediately. “I didn’t hurt you yesterday did I?”

“You did… But not in the way you think.” Mia replied, turning away from Zan in time to miss seeing the look of sorrow pass over his features. He hadn’t hurt her physically, well no more than a pin-prick really, but he had broken her heart.

“I’m sorry.” Zan apologised, his voice breaking.

“How much longer?” Mia asked, walking towards the technician, ignoring Zan’s apology.

“Four minutes your majesty.” The technician replied.

“May I wait with you?” Mia asked, both the technician and Zan.

“Of course.” They both replied. The technician stood up to offer Mia his stool – the only chair in the room.

“Thank you.” Mia replied gratefully. She wanted to be sitting when the results came back.

“Akira …” Zan began, but immediately stopped when Mia darted him a look that could kill.

“Mia…” He corrected himself.

“If you are going to apologise to me again, you can just save it. I don’t want to hear it.” She replied.

“I just wanted to say - I did it for us.” Zan tried to explain, ignoring her warning.

“No – you did it for yourself…” Mia retorted.

“Three minutes.” The technician interrupted, trying to stop Galaxy War III from breaking out in his lab.

“… and if you turn out to be wrong…” Mia continued. “I’m going to make sure you are imprisoned so long that you never see daylight again.”

“And if I’m right?” Zan dared to suggest.

“Then consider us divorced.” Mia replied.

Zan stepped back as though he was visibly struck, unable to hide the look of stunned disbelief on his face. When he reached the back wall, he slid to the ground, unable to hold his own body weight. It had been just a needle. One tiny needle, and he had used his powers to make sure that he wouldn’t hurt the baby. If she never forgave him for this one little thing, then he had jeopardised their marriage all for nothing. He may discover the truth, but he still wouldn’t have Akira.

Sitting there, Zan couldn’t decide what would be worse – having Akira near him but having her despise him, or always wondering whether Mia was really his wife. As he looked up and watch Akira sitting there, he knew in that moment that he had made the right choice. Even if they wouldn’t be together because of what he did, at least he had the comfort of knowing that if the test came back that Mia was Akira, at least he was protecting her from Deakin’s lies and manipulations.

“Two minutes.” The technician announced, not so much to settle the fighting, but to break the silence that was quickly threatening to suffocate them all. It didn’t work however, and he was conscious of the sound of every push of the paper, or drop of the pen that echoed through the room.

“Sixty seconds.” He announced, heading over to the machine that would spit out the results.

Zan slowly stood from his position in the corner, wiping the tears that had gradually welled up in his eyes, and joined the technician at the machine. Mia stayed where she was, unable to move from fear of how the next sixty seconds were going to change her future. This was the last minute of her life when everything would be remotely normal. If Zan was right, she would have to accept the fact that her memories had been stolen from her. If Zan was wrong … well … she would have to get used to Zan no longer being in her life.

“Ten seconds … nine … eight …” The lab technician began to count down, before a glare from Zan forced him into silence.

The machine began to whir, and the results were printed. The technician picked them up and began studying them.

“What does it say?” Zan asked desperately.

“It says … you’re the father.” The technician announced.

Zan immediately turned to Akira, who was already getting out of her seat.

“Akira …” Zan breathed, looking at her. “I knew it was you.”

Zan hurried over to her, but she was already on her feet, ready to leave.

“Stop!” She said putting up her hand to prevent him coming any closer.

“I…” Zan began.

“I can’t deal with this.” She said making a bee-line for the door.

“Wait!” Zan shouted, grabbing her hand.

“Don’t touch me!” Akira screamed. “Don’t you dare touch me.”

“Please don’t shut me out. I’m your husband.” Zan said desperately.

“As far as I’m concerned, from the moment you stuck that needle into my womb, you were no longer my husband.” Akira replied. She was about to walk out the door, but turned around at the last minute. “You know I would have let you run the test eventually. I would have done anything for you… I just needed time.”

“I didn’t know…” Zan began.

“Well, it’s too late for apologies. I don’t care what we might have been in the past. As far as I’m concerned – we have no future.” Akira announced, before storming out of the room.

Zan was immediately behind her, when Sean and Maria rounded the corner. Maria immediately went to Akira’s side and gave Zan a look as if to dare him to even think about approaching Akira without her permission. Sean immediately went to Zan, still his commander, wanting to report news of what he had found up north.

“We found the base. There was a hospital wing, and a dungeon. Akira had definitely been there.” Sean announced, leading an unwilling Zan along the hallway in the opposite direction.

Zan just nodded. It seemed irrelevant now that they had found out the truth.

“Kivar is alive.”

Zan nodded again, his eyes downcast.

“Deakin is Kivar.” Sean stated.

Zan’s eyes immediately shot up. His suspicions had been right.

“We have Deakin in custody.” Zan announced to Sean, immediately changing direction to head to the dungeons.

“Wait. You can’t go now.” Sean said, knowing exactly what Zan was thinking.

“Why the hell not?!” Zan demanded. He was going to kill Kivar with his own bare hands if that was what it took to end this nightmare. He would make sure that Kivar’s body was burnt until there was nothing left of him but ash, and there was no chance of ever resurrecting him.

“That’s why.” Sean replied, not even needing Zan to verbalise what he was planning to do. “You’re not thinking straight.”

“I’m thinking the clearest I have since Akira disappeared.” Zan replied, trying to push past Sean.

“Think of Akira. Maybe she wants a chance to dispel her own justice. Think about what he did to her…”

“Believe me, I haven’t been thinking about much else.” Zan replied.

“Just wait until you have spoken to Akira before doing anything hasty. Talk to the council. You can’t just go down there and kill him without any authority. They’ll lock you up for murder.”

“I’m not just going to kill him – I’m going to torture him for what he has done to Akira – to us. I don’t care what happens to me.”

“Exactly why I’m not letting you down there.” Sean said, dragging Zan in the opposite direction.

“Sean!” Maria’s voice came from the other end of the corridor. They turned to see her running towards them at full speed.

“What is it?” Sean asked concerned.

“Akira …” Maria said panting. “She’s gone to the dungeon to see Deakin.”

“Kivar you mean.” Zan corrected her. “She’s going to try and kill him.”

“She’s defenceless.” Maria continued. “She’s pregnant. She told me women lose their powers during pregnancy.”

“He’s going to kill her!” Zan shouted, heading off in a run towards the dungeon. This time Sean didn’t try and stop him, but he and Maria followed closely behind.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Oz »

Thanks for the fb. Here's the quick update as promised.

“Mia. I wondered when you would come and see me.” Deakin said after having watched Akira escorted down the hall by a couple of guards. They soon left, but the two guards, permanently stationed by his cell, remained.

He looked Mia up and down, taken by how beautiful she looked in Akira’s clothes. But then again, he had seen no one but the guards for the past few days, so he would have thought she was beautiful even if she had been wearing a potato sack. In stark comparison, he was dressed in grey prison-issue clothes, against the backdrop of a white cell that consisted of three walls and a wall of bars. There were three other cells but they were currently empty of inhabitants.

“Can you excuse us?” Deakin asked the guards, in the hope that he could be alone with Mia.

The guards didn’t even acknowledge his request with a reply, but firmly stood their ground.

“Guess not.” Deakin replied, before turning his attention back to his wife. “They’re generally very chatty.”

“I’m sure.” Akira replied.

“Did you get the test results?” Deakin asked.

“Yes.” Akira replied, arms folded and a non-committal look on her face.

“Let me guess … they were inconclusive?” Deakin replied with a smile.

“Yes.” Akira replied.

“So what are they going to do now? Flip a coin?” Deakin joked. “Heads you can be Queen, tails Zan can be King?”

“No. I’m Queen.” Akira replied, arms still folded.

“How did that happen?” Deakin asked. “Zan gave in?”

“They ran a different test.” Akira explained. “It proved I am the rightful Queen.”

“I don’t understand. How? What did they do?” Deakin asked confused.

“They tested the DNA of my child.” Akira explained, and then watched as the blood drained away from Deakin’s face.

“I’m guessing you know what they found.” Akira stated.

Deakin didn’t reply.

“So now that I know who I really am, what I want to know is – who are you?” Akira asked.

“I’m your husband.” Deakin replied. “You know who I am. You remember.”

“Apparently my memories aren’t what they used to be.” Akira replied lightly, although realising the full truth of that statement.

“We got married by the sea. You wore a crimson dress, with flowers in your hair. We danced all night in the moonlight to the sound of the ocean.” Deakin reminded her.

Akira immediately remembered that night, and her face softened at the memory.

“You remember don’t you?” Deakin pushed. “Mia, you can’t believe all those lies they are telling you. Not when I’m not there to protect you.”

“Mess with my mind, you mean?” Akira accused, pulling herself from the memories that she wasn’t even sure were true anymore.

“No …” Deakin began to protest.

“Don’t even bother.” Akira interrupted him. “I don’t trust you to tell me the truth. I don’t even know who you are anymore. My name is not Mia. You are not my husband. You are not even the father of my child. I want to know – were you the one to take my memories from me? Were you the one who stole my life and made me believe in a life, a love, that wasn’t true?” Akira demanded.

“I don’t know what you are talking about.” Deakin replied.

“Cut the crap. I want the truth, and if you don’t give it to me – so help me God I’ll…” Mia threatened.

“You’ll what?” Deakin snapped.

Akira was taken aback, he’d never snapped at her before.

“… I’ll make sure you are locked up for the rest of your life so you can never touch me again.” Akira threatened, after regaining her composure.

“Like that could stop me.” Deakin snarled. “You don’t know who I am. You don’t know what I’m capable of.”

“Then tell me.” Akira dared him.

“You want to know who I am? I go by so many names that it’s hard to keep up.” He smiled. “But you would know me as the Dark Prince – as Kivar.”

“No …” Akira said, taking a step backwards until she hit the stone wall behind her.

“Don’t sound so surprised.” Kivar smiled. “I know deep down you knew it was me all along, and you were happy. You were free of that whiney excuse for a husband and had the chance to be with someone with real power. You were attracted to me in a way you never could be with Zan. Admit it!”

“Stop it.” Akira warned. She didn’t want to hear it. “It’s not true. You manipulated me.”

“And when we made love …” Kivar continued. “Well, I don’t have to remind you just how good we were together.”

Akira paled.

“We didn’t …” She denied, but she really didn’t know what was true anymore.

“Oh, believe me we did.” Kivar grinned devilishly. “Over and over and over…”

“Stop!” Akira demanded.

“What’s wrong? You look ill.” Kivar smirked.

“The thought of making love to you makes me nauseous.” Akira smirked in reply.

“Just think of what that thought will do to your husband… although, if he’s smarter than I give him credit for, he would have already worked it out by now. Will he ever be able to touch you in the same way again?”

Akira didn’t say anything. She wasn’t about to admit to Kivar that at that moment she really didn’t want Zan to touch her ever again.

“So what are you going to do to me?” Kivar asked, seeing he had tortured Akira enough with his taunting.

“I’m going to kill you…” Akira replied emotionless. “… eventually.”

“What are you waiting for?” Kivar asked.

“I need you to unblock my memories.” Akira stated.

“Yeah, sure, I’ll get right on that.” Kivar replied sarcastically.

“I’m serious.” Akira replied, undeterred.

“You trust me near your mind?” Kivar asked incredulously. Why was she giving him this opportunity?

“No.” Akira stated. “But the doctors can’t do it. Zan can’t do it. And I can’t do it myself – not until the baby is born.”

“Why would I help you?” Kivar asked.

“Because you want me to realise the full extent of what you took from me. You want me to remember who you were when you were Kivar – not Deakin. And … I believe that somehow you really do care for me.” Akira stated.

Kivar diverted his eyes from her, not able to look at her in that moment. How did she know him so well, when she didn’t even know herself? It was true – it tortured him that she was oblivious to who she used to be. He wanted the old Akira to love him, not the version of Akira that he created. He wanted her to see how easy it was for him to steal her life away, and the fact that he could just as easily give it back... for a price.

“Okay.” Kivar agreed.

“Okay?” Akira repeated.

“Okay. But I have something I want in return.”

“You’re in no position to make demands.” Akira replied, crossing her arms again.

“Then I’m not going to clear the block in your mind.” Kivar replied, also folding his arms, and walking to the back of the cell.

“What do you want?” Akira asked, backing down.

“Just a kiss.” Kivar replied.

“A kiss? You’re dreaming.”

“Am I? Are you sure about that?” Kivar pushed.

“Why?” Akira asked.

“Let’s just say you’re irresistible.” Kivar smiled.

“This is crazy …” Akira said, trying to decide exactly what Kivar was trying to pull.

“Take it or leave it. Preferably before your husband comes down and catches you kissing another man.” Kivar suggested.

Akira immediately rose to her feet. The suggestion that kissing Kivar would hurt Zan was enough to make up her mind about going through with it. She hesitantly walked over to the cell so that she was within Kivar’s reach.

“Empty your mind…” Kivar said, placing his hand on her head. “… and lean in closer so I can reach you.”

Akira complied, and the moment she felt his lips touched hers, she also felt something shift in her mind.

“Get your hands off my wife!” Zan’s voice came from the doorway, immediately followed by a blast of energy that blew them apart.

Akira found herself flown across the room, and when she managed to lift her head after the fall, she saw the Kivar had also been blown to the other side of the cell. He was looking at Zan with a devilish grin, as though it had been his plan all along for Zan to find them together.

“How does it feel?” Kivar taunted Zan. “Your wife found out the truth, and she still wanted me.”

Zan made no reply but blasted Kivar again with a ball of energy.

“Zan! Stop!” Akira cried, pulling herself off the floor and checking to see if Kivar was alright.

“So it’s true?” Zan spat. “After everything he did to you, you still want him?”

“I’m not even going to justify that with an answer. You don’t know what you’re talking about.” Akira replied.

“Don’t worry princess.” Kivar said, pulling himself up into a sitting position, wiping the blood that was pooling on his forehead from where he sliced it on the floor from his fall. “I’m fine. But, the deal’s off.”

“No. You can’t do that. You promised!” Akira screamed, desperate to have her memories back.

“Well, you have a habit of surrounding yourself with people who can’t be trusted, so it shouldn’t be a shock to you that I’m no different.”

“What deal?” Zan asked confused.

“He was going to unblock my memories.” Akira replied.

“And you trusted him? He could have killed you if I hadn’t shown up!” Zan exclaimed.

“Or I would have had my memories restored.” Akira retorted.

“I guess we’ll never know which.” Kivar piped up. “My, my. Is that going to be a sore point between the two of you?”

Akira turned to leave, unable to deal with this situation any longer, but not before addressing Zan.

“I want him kept alive – you hear me? He is not to be touched.” Akira ordered.

“Except by you apparently.” Zan retorted, referring to the kiss he had interrupted.

Akira didn’t reply, and stormed out of the dungeon.

“Nice work. If she didn’t already hate you – she does now.” Kivar smirked.

Zan replied by blasting Kivar unconscious, before walking out of the dungeon himself.
Paramore - Decode
Oz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Oz »

Sorry it's been so long between posts. Thanks to Erina for the bump and getting me back in gear.

“Where have you taken him?” Akira demanded, storming into the drawing room where Zan was holding discussions with Sean and various councilmen.

“I presume you are referring to Kivar.” Zan replied, rising to his feet. He really didn’t want to have this discussion in front of so many people but she had left him no choice. He had tried to talk to her the night before, but she refused to open her bedroom door.

“Of course. Where is he?” Akira repeated.

“He has been relocated for your own safety.” Zan replied, and then waited for the fireworks to begin.

My own safety?” Akira demanded. “He was going to restore my memories.”

“So he says, but you can’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Giving him access to your mind could have killed you!”

“I trusted him.” Akira replied. “He was going to help me.”

“Why? Because you believe that he loves you? Because he has pretended to be your husband for the past month?”

“No. Because in his sick and twisted way, he wants me to understand what he took from me – from us. He wants me to see what my life was before he stole it from me!” Akira replied.

Zan was silent. Akira may know her real name, but she really had no idea who she was. He had mistakenly believed that once he had proved that Mia was Akira, that they could all live happily ever after. But Akira was swimming in the unknown. Not sure who she was, and who to trust. It made sense that Kivar would want Akira to know what he stole from her, but Kivar must also be revelling in the fact that Akira was pushing Zan further and further away.

“You can’t trust Kivar.” Sean piped up, realising that Zan was lost for a moment. “I saw his base. I saw the dungeon where he kept you and the white room where he stole your baby’s DNA.”

Akira’s hands immediately went to her growing belly.

“He needed your baby’s DNA to regenerate himself. He held you down against your will and stole it from you.”

“Sounds familiar.” Akira replied, glaring at Zan.

“Zan is nothing like Kivar.” Sean answered. “And if you had your memories you would know what a compliment that is coming from me. Zan was never one of my favourite people, but now he is one of my best friends. Zan was only trying to help you, if only you could see that.”

“Well I don’t have my memories, so that’s kind of a problem.” Akira bit back, although slightly softened by Sean’s praise of Zan.

“We’ll work something out.” Zan rejoined the conversation. “We’ll find a way to restore your memories without Kivar.”

“There is no other way!” Akira replied. “I can’t do it while I’m pregnant, I don’t have my powers!”

“That’s true.” Maria said, speaking for the first time since entering the room moments before. “Mia told me that women lose their powers during pregnancy because all their power is directed at growing their child.”

“Well, then I’ll do it. I’ll heal you.” Zan replied. “You’ve been training me. I could try…”

“You’re not strong enough.” Sean pointed out. “And need I remind you what happened the last time you attempted to unblock Akira’s mind?”

Akira stared at Zan pointedly.

“Okay … so if I’m not strong enough, what would happen if there was more than one of us? If we all combine our power, we could do it.” Zan suggested.

There was muttering in the room from the various councilmen as to the merits of Zan’s suggestion. Some thought it would work if they could gather enough people, including the monks from Meteroen, while others thought it was too dangerous. By the time the arguing subsided, Akira was already gone.

“Did anyone see where Akira went?” Zan asked, looking wildly around the room for an affirmative, but not receiving any information.

“Damn it!” Zan shouted, before racing out of the room.

Zan didn’t even bother checking the palace. He knew how Akira thought. He would bet his life that she was heading for a place where she could attempt to heal herself, despite knowing it was next to impossible. The last time she tried to heal herself she had gone to high ground, so Zan headed for the only hill within walking distance of the palace grounds.

Zan broke into a run, wanting to get to Akira before she started. The last time she had tried this, she was practically comatose by the time she was finished. He wasn’t going to let herself try it again, especially when it was no longer just herself that she had to think about. She was also carrying their child.

When he reached the top of the hill, he found Akira exactly where he had expected to be. Her eyes were closed and she was sitting crossed legged on the ground. Beads of sweat were already beginning to form on her forehead.

“Akira?” Zan whispered hesitantly, not wanting to jolt her too suddenly from her meditative state.

Akira’s only response was to collapse in a heap on her side.

“Akira!” Zan cried, running over to her. He scooped her up in his arms and stroked her face, whispering in her ear, begging her to wake up.

She wasn’t responding, and he was beginning to panic. Worried about the baby, he put his hand on Akira’s abdomen intending on trying to make a connection. It was the first time he had touched Akira’s stomach since discovering that the child was his, and he was in awe of what he and Akira had managed to create.

Almost as soon as Zan had placed his hand on Akira’s stomach, he felt Akira’s skin under the palm of his hand grow hot, and begin to glow. As he pulled his hand away he saw the shape of a smaller hand under her skin. Zan immediately put his hand back and began to form a connection with his son. The moment Zan opened his mind he felt a wave of comfort and calmness overwhelm him. His son was telling him that everything was okay.

“He does that a lot.” Akira’s weak voice announced.

Zan turned to face her, finding her eyes open watching him.

“Does what?” Zan smiled, unable to hide his relief at seeing her awake.

“Soothes me by sending me images of you.” Akira replied.

“That’s funny. He just sent me one of you.”

“I think he’s trying to tell us something.” Akira smiled.

“What’s that?” Zan asked, hoping she was thinking exactly the same thing as him.

“That we need to be together. We need to be a family.” Akira announced.

Zan didn’t know what to say, so instead, he gently pressed his lips to her forehead.

“But I can’t…” Akira’s eyes dropped, unable to meet Zan’s. “I don’t remember you. I can’t pretend to love you when I don’t even know you.”

“I take it you were unable to heal yourself.” Zan’s said disappointed.

“I don’t know what I was thinking… I guess I just didn’t want to be powerless anymore.” Akira admitted.

“You’re not powerless. You have me – and our child. We’ll be your strength until he is born – and then you can restore your memories.”

Akira smiled, then shook her head as if to remind herself that it couldn’t be that easy. “But in the meantime … I’m not her. I can’t be who you expect me to be.”

“Then don’t be. Just be yourself and we’ll go from there.” Zan offered.

Akira thought it over. She was so exhausted. Not just from the ill-conceived idea that she would be able to heal herself, but from all the fighting. She was tired of being angry at Zan, tired of feeling lost and powerless, and so very tired of being alone. And besides, her baby would need his father one day.

“Okay.” Akira agreed.

“Okay?” Zan repeated, making sure he heard right.

“Okay. But I’m not making any promises.”

“That’s enough for me.” Zan smiled. “Now why don’t we get you back to the palace? You must be exhausted.”

Zan helped her to her feet, and then proceeded to pick her up in order to carry her down the hill, as though he was carrying her over the threshold.

“Zan! I can walk!” Akira protested.

“I don’t care. I’m carrying you anyway.” Zan replied. “You need to save your strength if our baby is going to grow up big and strong.”

“Our baby is going to grow up just fine.” Akira replied, and Zan beamed. He was going to do everything in his power to make sure his family stayed together, and stayed safe.
Paramore - Decode