You Found Me (AU, M/L, mature) Complete

Finished stories set in an alternate universe to that introduced in the show, or which alter events from the show significantly, but which include the Roswell characters. Aliens play a role in these fics. All complete stories on the main AU with Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Part 10

“Oh,” was all Liz said as she stared at the condom from Max’s wallet.

“Oh?” Maria repeated. “That is all you can say?” she asked.

“Well,” Liz started calmly at first, but when she caught sight of a furious Maria, anger rose in her as well. “What do you want me to say?” she asked angry, “Because it looks like you won’t like my answer!”

“The truth, Liz, the truth,” Maria shouted.

Alex decided to calm down girls a little bit, “Hey, maybe the two of you should calm down? Neither of you are in a state to have a normal discussion,” Alex said, but slumped lower in his seat, when he received glares from them, “Okay, I will just sit here and watch as you both kill each other,” he said in a singsong voice, but Maria and Liz didn’t even notice it.

“Why, Maria?” shouted Liz, “Why do you want to control my life so much? Why do you dislike Max so much?”

“Oh God, Liz are you blind? Max Evans is probably just playing with you and you can’t even see it!” Maria yelled back, still holding the condom in her hand.

“Yes, Max came to me last night, but…nothing happened,” Liz defended herself. “At least not what you think,” she said, pointing at the condom.

“Wait a minute, you are talking like there’s nothing wrong with it!” Maria said clearly surprised, “The boy comes to you in the middle of the night and nothing is wrong? That boy is Max Evans, Liz! Max Evans!” she shouted once again.

“Maria, it’s my life! Do you hear me? My life, not yours, not Alex’s, but mine! I’m tired of hearing your complaints about him. Maybe he isn’t anything like you thinking he is; you don’t know him!”

“And you think you know him, right?” Maria snorted, “Oh, please, Liz. Don’t tell me that he has you wrapped around his little finger, okay? I refuse to believe it. You are one of the smartest girls in all of Roswell, but that isn’t even the main point. You have seen yourself how rude and arrogant he can be. Remember your first day at school here? Remember the night at the movies not so long ago? Do you remember, Liz? Because it looks like you have forgotten everything about him. Do you really want to be hurt in the end, Liz?”

“Maria,” Liz said sternly, “I repeat one more time; the last time. It’s my life and I can do whatever I want with it,” she said.

“Oh, now you are wrong, Liz,” Maria said, shaking her head, “We are linked, me, you and Alex. We are a family and I won’t let you walk away from us so easily. What will happen when Max finds out that you aren’t from this Earth. You aren’t human, Liz. Do you think he will be okay with that?” she asked and watched as the doubts started to fill Liz’s eyes, “I don’t think so and I know you don’t either,” she said, her voice calming a little bit.

“Liz,” Alex spoke again, “We are just worried; that’s all. Max has a reputation and…in our case, it’s dangerous to be so close with him. You understand it, Liz, I know you do,” Alex said softly.

“I’m so confused,” Liz said, tears started to fall, “I-I don’t know what to do,” she told her both friends, wiping tears from her face, “But I know that I won’t stop seeing Max,”

That was it; she had said it.

“You what?!” shouted Maria once again, her calmness gone, “Liz, I seriously think there is something wrong with your head! You can’t say something like that. Max has probably done something to you; you can’t say that you will continue seeing him, you just can’t, Liz,” she said.

“Maria,” Liz said, but Maria didn’t even notice it.

“What kind of power does he have over you, that you are ready to go against us, your only family, only to be with him? Oh God, I can’t believe it is happening. I want my best friend back, Liz; I need her,” she cried.

“You haven’t lost her,” Liz said softly, “But I won’t sit by silently when you try to control my life. You have said yourself, I’m smart; why can’t you believe me when I’m saying that I trust Max?”

“Oh, I can’t believe you said something like that! Trust? You trust Max Evans?” Maria laughed, “You can’t trust him, you don’t even know him,”

Liz bit her lip nervously. At that point, Maria was right. She indeed didn’t know much about Max. But why then did her heart tell her something different?

“I think we should go back to Roswell,” Alex said and just then, both girls became aware that they were still in a car in the middle of desert.

“Yeah, you are right, Alex,” Liz said softly and Maria slumped back in a seat.

Liz started the car and drove them all back in Roswell. They didn’t talk, but the tension was evident in the car.

The fight wasn’t over, Liz was sure of it.

She didn’t have to wait long. As soon as Liz stopped the car at their apartment building, Maria said, “Liz, I’m begging you; end whatever kind of relationship you have with Max, before it is too late,” she said.

“Maria,” Liz said in a broken whisper. How was she going to explain her feelings to Maria, when she wasn’t even trying to understand her?

“I won’t do it,” Liz said sternly, “I won’t stop seeing Max,”

After a moment Maria said quietly, “Then you will have to choose,” she said simply.

“What?” both Alex and Maria asked surprised.

“I won’t be by your side, Liz, if you still want to be with Max. I don’t want to see how he is going to break your heart in thousand pieces,” Maria looked into Liz’s eyes, “Me or Max? Family or player? What is it? What are you going to choose, Liz? Because you can’t have him and your best friend at the same time,” she said.

“Are you serious?” Liz asked incredibly, “You can’t do that!” she cried.

“It’s simple. Max or me?” Maria repeated her question.

“Maria, don’t you think this is a little bit too much,” Alex asked.

“No, Alex, I don’t think it is too much, Liz needs to open her eyes. I can’t let her make the biggest mistake of her life,” the blonde girl said, “So, Liz?”

“I can’t believe that you have been my best friend,” Liz said, barely holding tears. Her friendship with Maria was slowly breaking up, “You are trying to manipulate me, to control my life,” she cried.

“I’m doing what is best for you, Liz, I know you will understand it,” Maria said simply.

“No, Maria, you are wrong, I won’t understand why you are trying so much to prevent my relationship with Max. And it isn’t just Max we are talking about. What about Kyle? You have been trying so damn much to push me to him; although I have said numerous times, that I don’t want to have a relationship with him. But you don’t listen to me anymore, Maria,” Liz said sadly, “If that is so, I don’t need you,” Maria stiffened and in the corner of her eye, Liz could see also a shocked Alex, “I’m choosing Max,” Liz said and started to get out of the car.

Maria held her back, by taking her hand, “Fine, Liz. You have made your choice, okay. Stick with Max Evans, if you want it so much. But I will not let you use my shoulder when you need one to cry on because Max has hurt you,” Maria said in a deadly voice. “And believe me, Liz, he will hurt you.” She threw the condom into Liz’s lap, before getting out of the car and running into the building.

When Liz was coming home later that day, after a heart-to-heart talk with Alex, she didn’t feel better. She had never fought with someone like that. And she had never argued with Maria at all. Their quarrels started only with the Kyle/Max problem.

Liz felt guilty; she didn’t deny that. She was a peaceful person and always tried to find a way not to fight like this. Maria was her best friend. Was there really no way to keep their friendship?

Apparently not, Liz thought, as she noticed a box at her apartment door. Liz just briefly looked inside in the box; she already suspected that Maria would do something like this. In it was everything Liz had ever given to Maria. CD’s and bracelets, stuff like that. There was also a note in which Maria demanded that Liz had to give her stuff back too.

Liz sighed and opened the door. She took the box inside and leaned against the door. She hated fighting and she didn’t like hers and Maria’s relationship at the moment. Not at all.

A knock at the door disturbed Liz from her thoughts and she quickly opened it. Maybe that was Maria?

“Hey,” an unknown boy said, “Are you Elizabeth Parker?” he asked, not really looking at her, instead his eyes were buried in the list which he was holding.

“Yeah,” Liz said, “Can I help you?”

“I have a delivery for you,” he informed her and gave her a pen, “You must sign here.” The boy pointed at the list.

After Liz had signed the paper, she received a beautiful bouquet of white roses. Liz inhaled deeply and closed the door, Maria and the rest of the world forgotten. When she noticed a note, attached to the bouquet, she hurriedly tore it open.

“Can’t wait for our date tonight. Max…”

Liz smiled widely and took her cell phone. She quickly dialled his phone number and patiently waited when he would pick up.

After the fifth or sixth ring, Liz gave up and decided to phone him a little bit later. But then someone picked up.

“Hello,” Liz heard a female’s voice and her heart shattered.

Why was Tess picking up Max’s phone?

It looks like people are reading my stories less and less... :cry:
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Thank you all for your comments!

Part 11

“Hey.” Liz heard as she turned her head to Alex, who had come to sit with her under the tree.

“Hi,” Liz whispered quietly.

It was lunchtime. Usually they would be three – her, Maria and Alex, but that was then. Now Maria didn’t even talk to her. Even more, the blonde simply ignored her former best friend. It was hard for everyone, but maybe Alex was in the worst place. He was trying so hard to reconcile his two best friends, but unfortunately, his hard work hadn’t given any results.

Maria refused even to hear Liz’s name. And the truth was...Liz had serious doubts over whether she wanted to have a friend like Maria. The blonde had hurt her too deeply.

”How are you?” Alex asked as he leaned against the tree.

Liz shrugged, “I’m okay,”

“Look,” Alex said, “I’m sure that soon Maria is going to change her mind and everything will be okay, like before,” he reassured her.

Liz thought a little before answering. “I truly doubt it,” she said. “It wasn’t just Maria, you know. She gave me the ultimatum and I...accepted it. I made my choice, but perhaps there was another way,”

“Liz,” Alex started but was cut off by the sound of his mobile phone.

Liz looked as he picked the phone and started to talk quietly. She knew who was calling. It was the same thing every day this week.

As soon as Alex came to Liz, Maria would call him and the guy would have to go away, because the blonde girl was having some ‘crisis’...

Maria was trying to pull Alex onto her side.

Liz smiled sadly and looked at the other students. It was Friday already, another week would end soon, but those days were the first that Liz felt so alone.

Before the accident, Liz had her father and after moving to Roswell, she had met Maria and Alex. Now, she basically had no support. Her relationship with her mother still wasn’t the best in the world – just some brief talks before going to school, because Nancy was spending most of her evenings with Daniel.

She had basically lost the only female friend she’d ever had – Maria – and the possibility that everything would eventually work out between the two of them still was slim, no matter what Alex was telling her.

And Alex...It was so obvious that Maria was trying to pull him away from the brunette. Maria would always find some excuse to break up his meetings with Liz. Always. Liz really suspected that the blonde girl was stalking her, because every time Alex tried to talk with her, they would be interrupted by a phone call from Maria.

Then there was Max. Unfortunately for Liz, Max had suddenly cancelled their supposed date, due to some family problems; at least that was what he had said.

Their talk was very brief; she only picked up the phone and Max informed her that he wouldn’t be able to go on a date with her. Liz wasn’t able to ask him about Tess and so the question about the wallet and condom was still open. Wasn’t he looking for his wallet, Liz wondered.

The first thing Liz had done on Monday was to find Max and give him back the wallet. Liz had gone to his locker and waited for him. She waited and waited until she decided to go to her class. But as soon as she turned to go, she noticed that Max had finally appeared.

With Tess by his side again.

When Max finally had seen Liz, standing by his locker, he had said something to the blonde and Tess had gone somewhere else immediately, smiling at Max and Liz thought she never seen a smile as fake as hers.

Although the two of them had agreed to some friendship, their talk was extremely awkward, neither sure what to say or how to talk to the other. Liz had put the condom back in his wallet, so things wouldn’t be even more awkward, but it didn’t help at all. Max still blushed furiously when he had received his wallet and although Liz had the urge to ask him about her picture, she didn’t.

There was a wall between them and Liz knew she wouldn’t get a true answer from him.

Liz had thought and hoped that Max would ask her on another date, but he didn’t. After receiving his wallet, Max smiled, said ‘Thanks, I have to go to class now,’ and simply turned to walk away, while Liz stood there totally speechless.

They had taken one step forward and two steps back, Liz thought. She assured herself that Max would talk to her, but he hadn’t even come close to her during this week. Except in Biology of course, where they were both still partners, but even then Max talked with her just briefly, only asking or answering about biology. Even more, the most of his time in the last five days, Max had spent with Tess Harding.

Liz heart simply shattered at the sight of them. Still, she was trying to find some explanation for Max’s sudden behaviour. What if they were a couple, Liz wondered. She hadn’t seen them kissing or anything like that...they were just together most of the time. But if Max and Tess were a couple, then the fact that Tess was picking up Max’s phone wasn’t so strange at all. After all, the blonde really could be his girlfriend; just a few weeks ago, she and Max were making out in the crowded cinema.

Maria’s words kept running in Liz’s head, that Max would hurt her and that was exactly he was doing. Although a small part in her heart still hoped, Liz had already given up.

Max had played with her. Once again.

Liz laughed about herself. Why she had trusted him again? How could she have been so stupid?

It probably didn’t matter anymore.

Liz watched as Alex put his phone back in the pocket and prepared herself for another ‘Oh, Liz, I’m so sorry, but Maria needs me again,’

Alex turned. “So, where were we?” he smiled.

Liz looked at him funnily. “Hmm, Alex, don’t you need to be somewhere else?” she asked, confused. She had thought that Alex would be already gone, but here he was...still besides her.

“Why?” he laughed, “Do you want to get rid of me?”

“No, it’s just...Maria,” Liz said sadly and Alex stopped laughing too.

“Gosh, I hate this situation so much,” Alex groaned as he once again leaned against the tree, “We can’t be apart, you, me and Maria – we have to stick together,” he said.

Liz sighed, “I know, Alex, believe me, I know; but what I can do? I couldn’t let her continue controlling my life, she wasn’t right,”

“Was this fight worth it?” Alex suddenly asked.

Liz thought about it. Had she done the right thing by choosing Max, who now didn’t even talk with her? She had sacrificed her friendship, for what? To be alone?

“Yes,” Liz answered, „”It wasn’t just about me and Max anymore. Maria just pushed and pushed me...She tried many times to organize a date between Kyle and me; although I said numerous times, it was useless. She just has her own opinion about Max, about everything. She wasn’t even listening to me anymore. Somewhere we lost it completely, I’m actually not surprised about how things worked out,” Liz said.

“So now you think that this was only my fault?” Maria shouted as she appeared from behind the tree.

‘Oh God,’ Liz thought, ‘Could this situation get even worse?”

“No, Maria, that wasn’t what I said,” Liz explained, “It probably was my fault too, I had to stop you before things got that heated, but I didn’t. I let you to do everything you wanted,”

“And I did a good thing,” Maria said, “Then we were friends and Max hadn’t hurt you,”

“Maria, I don’t think it is your business...” Liz said.

“Liz, this is totally my business, you are...you were my best friend, my family. Max is just a jerk and you let him to do everything he wanted, Liz. Don’t say I didn’t warn you, I said he would break your heart and he did. Do you think I didn’t see Max and Tess together, huh? Do you think I didn’t see your face as you saw them? Together? You are hurt, Liz, just like I predicted,” Maria told Liz, still angry.

“I’m too tired to talk about it,” Liz sighed and rubbed her forehead, “I just don’t get your attitude towards Max. It not like I am his girlfriend, he can do whatever he wants,” Liz was trying to find some reason for his behaviour, but still...she was hurt. Just like Maria said.

Maria laughed, “Oh, Liz, I guess we really don’t know each other anymore.” She calmed a little before continuing, “I know him very well and I tried so hard to not let him to hurt you, but I guess I wasn’t able to do it,” the blonde said, as tears appeared in the corners of her eyes.

Liz was confused. “Wait a minute...What you mean by ‘I know him very well’?” she asked.

“Max and I,” Maria started, “We slept together,” she said.

‘No,’ Liz silently screamed. Max couldn’t have slept with her best friend, could he?
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Hey! Thanks for your wonderful feedback. I'm glad that you still like it. Alex Balex, I really want to update more often too, I don't like that this story is updated just once in a week and it's so short... But my time is limited, I haven't even written the next part for my other story, which I should update tomorrow.

Anyway, I know that the last part came like a big surprise, and in this chapter you will get some answers. Enjoy!
:D

Part 12

“I don’t believe you,” the words echoed in the empty music room.

“You are lying,” Liz said with the tears, “I don’t believe you,” she repeated and started to walk from the one side of the room to another.

“I thought that I knew you, but everything…” she sobbed, “Everything has been a lie. EVERYTHING!” she shouted as she became increasingly angry with the situation.

“I can’t believe I was so stupid,” she said, more to herself than to the other person in the room. Then she quickly pulled herself together and turned to face the person, “I don’t believe you,” she said as sternly as she could.

Liz really didn’t believe what she had heard, but why did they keep saying the same thing?

“Liz...” she heard.

“No! I don’t want to hear another lame excuse or story that you both really slept together!” she yelled, not caring that they still were in the school, “I want the truth and I want it NOW, Max!”

Liz had run away from both Maria and Alex, only to find Max. She didn’t care that he was with Tess, or the fact that she had essentially dragged him to the music room.

She wanted an explanation. Liz refused to believe that Maria and Max...had been together in such an intimate way.

If it was true, then not only had Max lied to her, but Maria as well. And she had called herself Liz’s best friend!

She looked at Max and tried as hard as possible to keep her tears in. Max didn’t deserve her tears and she was sick of crying; especially over the people who had clearly played with her.

For a moment, Liz even felt sorry for Max. He looked so lost, like when he had come to her on that rainy night. It reminded her that there were so many unspoken things between the two of them; they hadn’t even had a decent talk.

They were strangers.

They had never been anything more, but why did it feel otherwise?

“Liz,” Max said once again, trying to keep his own tears, “I don’t know what to say or to do. I can’t do anything to turn back time and amend this whole mess. I can’t, Liz, no matter how much I want it,” he confessed to her.

“Yes, I slept with Maria,” he said loudly and clearly, so that it was forever imprinted in Liz’s mind. She watched as he lowered himself to his knees and looked around helplessly, “I have fucked up so many times, but that was the worst mistake of my life,” he said as his tears started to fall.

“I know it isn’t an excuse, but I was drunk and…she was just there,” Max said quietly.

“W-When did it h-happen?” Liz asked.

“Not long before you came to Roswell,” Max replied, “It was at one of those back-to-school parties at someone’s house. Lots of drink and no adults. I had a fight with Isabel and, although I don’t drink usually, I ...drank that night. When I woke up the next morning, I was in bed and…” Max’s voice cracked, “Maria was right by my side. We were both naked,” he told her.

“Before that party, I hadn’t even noticed her. I was a good guy, not in the way I am today,” he said sadly, “My first time was with Maria and....I don’t know…it made me off balance. I like to control my life...everything. By some force, I slept with her, although I didn’t even want to sleep with someone like that for the first time. I guess after that I got kind of mean and started sleeping around,” Max said.

“What about Maria?”

“She...” Max sighed, “I know that I hurt her by saying that I didn’t want anything with her, but...I felt sick just thinking that I had slept with her; I couldn’t have any relationship with her, not in the way she wanted. But she apparently had other plans. She stalked me. Wherever I went, she was there. She called me; my cell phone, my home phone, even my sister’s phone - she tried everything. Then she started to send me notes. My locker was full of them. Maria just wanted to have me as her boyfriend and she didn’t stop for a long time,” Max said.

Liz’s mind was running in the various directions, “When did it stop?” she asked, but was scared of his answer.

“Just a couple of months ago,” Max replied.

“Oh God,” Liz groaned and started to pace again. She had been Maria’s best friend for such a long time and never the blonde had told her anything about her ‘little’ obsession with Max.

Now Liz understood very well, why Maria was trying so hard to set her up with Kyle. Maria didn’t want what was the best for Liz. No, she wanted to have Max.

Liz had trusted her. Maria had been her best friend, her family, her support, and how did she turn out?

“I’m not going to beg your forgiveness,” Max said as he stood up, “You deserve someone better than me, I have hurt you deeply,”

Liz wanted her answers, “Why?” she asked, “Why you were playing with me? One moment you were warm and the next, cold. I-I don’t understand,”

Max sighed, “I’ve tried so hard to stay away from you, but...I can’t,” he said simply, “I go to sleep and I see you in my dreams. You’re my obsession, Liz, and I can’t get you out of my head, although believe me, I have tried,” Max said as he pulled his wallet out, “I’m a thief,” he told her gently and quietly, “One day I saw you at the Crashdown with your photo album, you know, where your only pictures are,” he smiled at the memory, “I paid Michael to distract Maria and your were already somewhere else, it didn’t take even a second for me to get your photo,” he took the picture out and looked at it, “I so wanted to have your picture,” he confessed and looked more in his own world.

“Max,” Liz said, trying to swallow the lump, “Yes, you’re saying beautiful things to me and I’m flattered, but…you slept with Maria, my best friend,” she winced at her own words, “And nothing can change that fact, that my best friend, well, my former best friend,” she corrected herself and noticed that Max looked up, clearly surprised, “knows you in such a way,” she finished.

“What you mean, your former friend?” he asked, his voice still shaky.

Liz decided to tell the truth, “She made me choose between her and you,” she said and watched as Max’s eyes widened, “I chose you,” she said simply.

“Oh God,” Max whispered, “I’m so sorry, I…” he said, but Liz interrupted him.

“Don’t. It was my own decision; our friendship already had some gaps. I guess I know why now,” she said, as she understood Maria’s actions now. Why had she been so blind and hadn’t seen what was under her nose?

“What happens now?” she asked.

Max briefly looked at the ground, thinking, before he finally answered, “I guess we go our separate ways,” Max said, although Liz could tell by his expression that he wasn’t happy about this solution.

But that was the only way. Liz didn’t know if she could ever be with Max, after receiving such information. And apparently, Max had some issues as well. Although some time ago, Liz would have loved to have helped him in every way she could, this time she decided to be a little selfish and think about herself first.

“Yeah,” she said, “I guess we really should do that,” she told him and Max simply nodded, before turning around to walk out of the room.

His steps were slow, like he was expecting her to say or do something.

Liz wiped her tears and composed herself; she had to stay strong. They were still in their final year and she was still going to see him every day.

Suddenly Liz found something in her pocket.

“Max,” she called and watched as he turned around to face her.

Hurriedly he walked to her, hope evident in his eyes.

Liz took the object from her pocket, “I think this is yours,” she whispered and revealed the ring she had found in the hallway not so long time ago.

“Oh,” was all Max said, his expression unreadable to Liz.

“Can you keep it?” he asked suddenly.

“What?” Liz asked surprised, “Well…yeah, I can keep it. Why?”

Max smiled and took the ring out of her hand; only to slip it on her finger, “See? It fits you, like it’s been made just for you,” he said and Liz couldn’t help but smile back.

“But one day I’m going to take it back,” Max said seriously, “Only it won’t be for a long time,” he smiled again. “Because one day I’m going to marry you, Liz,”

Liz gasped at his confession. Did he really believe they could have a decent relationship after everything? She wished to have Max’s belief.

“If not in this life, then in the next,”
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Thanks for the feedback, I really like that. In this part - a little bit less angst. Enjoy!

Part 13

Five years later

Liz looked through the photo album that her so-called best friend Maria had given her so many years ago. That was then. Some days Liz missed her friendship with Maria, some days she felt only anger and great disappointment. Liz had trusted the blonde, but Maria had betrayed her in every possible way.

Almost five years have passed since Liz had seen her for the very last time. They all had finally graduated high school and since graduation, Liz hadn’t even talked with her. Neither her nor Alex knew where she was.

It kind of saddened Liz. Maria was an alien, just like her. They had been a family. She, Maria and Alex had shared many wonderful moments, which Liz would remember all her life, but now everything was gone. She and Alex didn’t even suspect what had happened to Maria, what her destiny was.

Was she sick? Was she happy? Was Maria alone, or with someone? Was she in danger? A thousand questions ran through Liz’s head every day. Sometimes she was angry at herself because she cared so much about someone who was capable of betraying her.

Alex had tried to find out some information from Maria’s mom, but she didn’t say anything. Liz wasn’t sure what Maria had said to her mother, but Amy was kind of mad at the two of them, so Liz suspected that Maria hadn’t said anything nice and probably just told the worst she could invent.

After graduation, most of them went to Boston. Liz and Max attended Harvard, while Isabel, Alex and Tess had studied at Boston University. Liz was shocked to find out that Max was at the same university as her and at first, it even scared her. But that was only the beginning.

Surprise, surprise, Alex actually had got the courage to ask Isabel to their senior prom and she...said yes. Poor Alex was in state of shock for another day, but his joy didn’t last long. At the prom, Isabel was nice to Alex and he was so happy, but in the next day, she didn’t even talk to him again. Alex was so confused and he didn’t even have any idea what made her change her mind so quickly.

Even now, although they had been at the same university, Alex and Isabel hadn’t talked to each other. Even more, Alex started to avoid and ignore her. During the last years, he had become much more confident and had already had several girlfriends. Many times, Alex had tried to persuade her that he wasn’t thinking about Isabel, but Liz knew the truth. She had seen the way Alex looked at Isabel whenever he saw her.

The feelings were still there. But things had changed. In high school, Liz liked the idea of Alex and Isabel as a couple, but not now. Isabel had hurt Alex too much and she totally didn’t deserve him anymore, so Liz was glad when Alex started to date and girls actually liked him too.

Liz especially liked his first girlfriend, Serena. Liz had become friends with almost all of his girlfriends, but Serena was somehow special. Not only to mention that Serena was the first girl he’d actually dated seriously, Liz also found another best friend. She liked to talk with Serena and even now that Serena and Alex weren’t together, the three of them remained friends. Even Serena and Alex. They were so similar in thoughts and interests, but in the end, they both decided that they were better as friends.

But Serena didn’t know their deepest secret. Several times, Alex and Liz had considered telling her, but in the end decided that it would be much safer for Serena not to know the truth about something this dangerous.

Just like Alex and Liz hadn’t seen Maria, they didn’t know anything about Kyle or Michael either. The last time they ever saw them was at graduation. It wasn’t like Liz missed them, especially Michael. But that was a little bit strange that he wasn’t with Isabel and Max anymore. Everyone remembered how close the three of them were in the high school and now just Isabel and Max were together.

Liz didn’t miss Kyle either. Although some part of her liked the guy, just the thought of him brought many painful memories to Liz. Maria had tried to push her towards Kyle and when Liz had finally found the real reason for her actions, it made her push Kyle away as far as possible. He was actually a good guy, but Kyle wasn’t the one for Liz. He had been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

She and Kyle were not meant to be.

But she and Max were.

Apparently Max really had meant everything he had said to her five years ago. Max wanted to be with her and now...they were together.

It was hard for both of them to attend the same classes, heck it was even hard to live in the same city, since Roswell wasn’t very big, but they neither of them had a choice. They had seen each other almost every day, even on the weekends they found themselves somewhere together. Sometimes it was Crashdown, sometimes the local park, they had ‘bumped’ into each other in the desert too. Seemed like wherever one of them went, the other was already there.

For many months, Max and Liz denied their feelings, but apparently it just delayed something that was meant to be. Kyle finally had left Liz alone and since then, she hadn’t gone out on a date. It was almost the same with Max. Although Tess still was by his side, Liz hadn’t seen them kissing or doing anything like that. But, apart from constantly hanging out with Tess, Max hadn’t dated anyone either. Liz had spent many hours wondering what kind of connection Max had with Tess, but she still hadn’t found the answer.

Liz received another surprise when a week before their senior prom, Max actually asked her to be his date. Liz’s first thought was to say a loud and clear ‘no’; her wounds were still fresh. How she could forget or even accept the fact that Max had slept with Maria?

Sometimes Liz couldn’t find a reason to be angry with Max. When he was dating and sleeping around, they weren’t together. Max and Liz hadn’t been together at all. And he’d slept with Maria, when Liz wasn’t in Roswell. Of course, Max had to tell Liz about that, but Maria had been her best friend for so much longer and still...the blonde hadn’t said anything.

Max still was like some secret to Liz, she didn’t understand so many things about him. But Liz agreed to be his date to their senior prom. And even now, Liz started to smile just at the thought of that night.

The prom was one of the happiest moments in her life.

How could it not be? Max was her date. They both started to heal each other on that night. The wounds started to close and Liz really wanted to be happy. She had finally decided to do anything to be happy. She didn’t want to worry anymore about the fact that she wasn’t from this planet. That night was only the beginning of Liz’s happiness.

During the summer before college, Liz and Max went on some casual dates. They talked a lot, especially about the issue with Maria and although it hurt sometimes, in the end, their talks helped them both. Liz accepted that neither her nor Max had the power to change what already had happened. What was the point in remembering it? Liz could be happy with Max and she truly wanted to use the chance, even if she had to lie to him about who she and Alex were.

It was hard, especially when they started becoming closer. She didn’t know what to do. On one hand, she wanted to tell Max the truth, but on the other hand, Liz was afraid that he would then leave her. And she didn’t want to be hurt anymore; she simply wanted to be happy.

Liz had cried her eyes out when she had thought that they wouldn’t be together for years, since they both would go to separate colleges. Imagine her surprise when she came to Harvard, only to find Max there too. After that, she had only happy tears.

She and Max were together. By their second year, they were already living in their own apartment. Although between classes and work, they didn’t have much time, Max and Liz were able to find some time just for themselves.

The two of them were happy. But Isabel was Max’s sister and Alex was still Liz’s best friend. Isabel had tried numerous times to talk with her, but Liz didn’t want even hear a word from the other girl. They exchanged some words, but nothing more. Although Max also thought that what Isabel did was wrong, he asked Liz to give her another chance.

And Liz thought about it. She really wanted to forget it all and be friends with Isabel; she was Max’s sister, family, after all. But then she would remember how defeated Alex had looked a few days after the prom. Maybe someday, Liz would be able to be friends with Isabel, but she couldn’t do it now. Of course, family meeting were awkward.

Family meetings…since Liz was Max’s girlfriend and they were already living together, his family accepted her very warmly. And since Liz’s mother, Nancy, was already a good friend of Diane, sometimes they all spent holidays together. Even Nancy’s boyfriend, Mr. Pierce, was there, although it still made Liz very uneasy. Although Nancy and Pierce had been together for many years already, Liz was still surprised when he proposed to her and Nancy accepted.

Her mother was going to be married. Again.

It wasn’t like Liz didn’t want her mother to be happy. She didn’t expect her mother to spend the rest of her life alone, but Liz truly didn’t like Mr. Pierce. There still was something about him.

Liz hadn’t had her dreams about that other world in a long time. In fact, she never had them in Boston, only in Roswell. Being with Max made her feel normal, like any other woman in love.

But even they had problems.

Intimacy.

Sure, they did make out, a lot, but that was all. Sometimes, when things got a little bit more serious she, or sometimes Max, would pull away. Liz understood her problem; she wasn’t sure what would happen if she, an alien, made love to Max, a human. It scared her that she didn’t know. But then again, Liz was his girlfriend and she wanted to be with him for the rest of her life. They had to take that step in their relationship sooner or later.

Sometimes when Liz was feeling ready for that, Max would be the one who pulled away. It confused her. There were moments when Liz even suspected that he didn’t want to be with her. He had slept with other girls, but he didn’t want her. It hurt.

When they had both arrived at Harvard, Max had organized a dinner where he had admitted that he loved her and asked her to be his girlfriend. If not for their intimacy problem, Liz would consider herself utterly happy. But it wasn’t only intimacy; sometimes Liz would feel a wall between them, but she had never been able to explain what exactly was blocking her from Max. In some way, just like before, Max was a secret to her, even now, after years of dating.

Hopefully that would change soon, Liz thought as she looked at the ring on her finger. They had overcome so many problems, especially the issue with Maria, and now they were going to be married. Liz couldn’t be happier.

Max and Liz had both graduated from Harvard. Max was already working as a lawyer and Liz had been working in a research group while she was still a student. She and Max still lived in Boston, while Alex had moved to New York, but Isabel had gone to California. To some degree, Liz was glad about it, that way they at least didn’t see each other almost every day. That had been hard for both of them.

Tess lived in Boston too, but Liz rarely saw her and was grateful for that. She had never trusted the blonde girl and that hadn’t changed.

Everyone was happy for them when Max had proposed to her. Everything was falling into place.

But why did Liz feel like something was missing?
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Hey! I'm sorry that I'm a little late...again. Thanks for the feedback and bumps! :D

Part 14

“Alex,” Liz squealed as she spotted her best friend in the airport. She hadn’t seen him for a while now and she was happy to meet him again.

“Hey,” Alex said as he hugged her tightly. “I’ve missed you, Parker,” he admitted.

“And I’ve missed you like crazy, Whitman,” Liz said sincerely.

She really was glad to see someone like her again. Of course, she had Max and was happy with him, but he wasn’t an alien and Liz desperately wanted to talk with someone without any limitation.

“So,” Liz said as they finally broke the hug, “How are you? Do you like your new job? Have you met someone?” she asked quickly.

“Hey, slow down a little,” he laughed. “Can we at least eat something? I’m starved, haven’t eaten anything since New York,” he said.

“Yeah, sure,” Liz blushed a little, “Sorry, I forgot where we are, I’m just too excited to see you again, Alex,” she smiled. “Come on, let’s go to mine and Max’s place, I will cook something for you,” she said and led him out of the airport.

“How is Max?” Alex asked as they got into the car.

“Good,” Liz replied, “He loves his job and ... everything is great. In fact, we’re getting married,” she said and quickly showed the ring on her finger to Alex. “He proposed not long ago,”

“Wow, Liz,” Alex said, surprised. “Are you sure?” he asked.

Liz laughed. “Alex, are you kidding? Of course I’m sure,” she said. “Max asked me to be his wife,”

“Congratulations, Liz, you deserve it,” Alex told her sincerely. “But...have you thought about telling him the truth?”

“Yeah, I have, Alex. Many times, I have wanted to tell him everything about myself, but I’m so scared,” Liz said, as her smile disappeared, “What if he thinks I’m some freak and doesn’t want to have anything to do with me? What if he goes to the FBI? I love him and he loves me, but I’m still not sure what to expect if I tell him the truth,” she admitted.

“But you do realise that you need to tell him, right?” Alex asked.

“He’s proposed to you, you’re getting married,” he pointed, “You can’t marry him without telling the truth, it wouldn’t be right, you know it, Liz,”

“I know that, Alex, believe me I do,” Liz said. “I will tell him as soon as he comes back from his business trip,” she said sternly.

“Business trip?” Alex raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah,” Liz answered. “Sometimes he has to go. Why are you asking?” she questioned at the weird expression on Alex’s face.

He quickly said, “Hmm? I’m just asking, you haven’t told me anything much about Max’s work.” He started another subject, “Okay, besides proposing and business life, how are you doing?” he asked.

“I’m fine…no, great,” she smiled again. “But...Max and I...we still haven’t been together,” Liz said and added, “Intimately,”

“Oh,” was all Alex said.

“I’m not sure what to expect,” Liz told him. “I know he slept with Maria, but he doesn’t remember it. What if then had happened something...unusual? Alien related?” she asked, “I can’t take that risk before Max knows the truth,”

“By the way, have you heard anything from Maria?” Alex asked.

“Nope, I don’t know anything about her, you probably haven’t heard anything either?” she asked.

Alex nodded. “She is actually the only one who has had sex with a human, so basically only Maria can tell you if anything alien related happens during it,” Alex said.

Liz frowned at the thought of Max and Maria together, “I don’t think I want to know, then,” she said. “I just need to tell him the truth first, then we’ll see what happens next,”

“Liz?” Alex asked unsurely. “Can I tell you something?”

“Yeah,” Liz said and turned briefly to look at Alex, who was looking very, very nervous, “What’s wrong, Alex?” she asked.

“Liz, I know it probably will be a big surprise,” Alex started. “I’m getting married too,” he told her with a bright smile on his face.

Liz almost lost the control of the car as she looked at Alex in shock. “What?” she asked. “You’re kidding, just trying to joke, right?”

Alex laughed, “No, Liz, I’m not kidding, I’m serious. I proposed and the wedding will be in a month.”

“In a month, Alex?” Liz said. “Why haven’t you told me anything?”

“Well,” Alex said, clearly uncomfortable. “Things are sort of complicated, you know,” he admitted.

“What you mean, complicated?” Liz asked, still surprised that her best friend had a wedding in a month.

“You remember, Isabel, right?” Alex laughed nervously.

Liz quickly swerved and stopped the car, before turning completely to Alex. “What? You’re crazy? Are you marrying Isabel?” she asked angry.

“Yes,” Alex said quietly, “Liz...” he started, but Liz interrupted him.

“Oh my God,” she groaned, “You’re really marrying her, Alex? What are you thinking, huh? Don’t you remember what she did to you after the Prom?” she asked, still angry.

“Yeah, I remember, Liz, but now she is different. She came to me not long ago and explained her behaviour. I forgave her, Liz. I love Isabel and I want to marry her,” Alex said sternly.

“Yeah, right, how can she explain the pain she caused? Alex, do you really trust her?”

“Liz,” Alex said and took her hands into his, “Can you please calm down a little? I know Isabel isn’t your favourite person in the world, but...you are with Max now,”

“And? What’s your point?” Liz asked.

“Don’t you see it, Liz? How many times has Max confused you? Kissed you and then ignored you? Isabel did it just once and she had explained everything, but what about Max?” Alex asked, “His behaviour had been even worse and he still hadn’t told you why he had been acting like that in high school,” he pointed out.

Liz felt as anger left her body and mind. “Oh, I’m sorry, Alex. I guess I was a little bit too harsh on you,” she apologized, “But you really surprised me, you know. You come and tell that Isabel will be your wife in a month,” she smiled. “I guess I’m really nervous lately; this secret and the upcoming wedding are affecting me more than I want to admit,” Liz said.

“That’s okay, Liz,” Alex said and hugged his best friend, “I understand, but please try to be nice to Isabel when you see her, okay?”

“Okay,” Liz promised and smiled, but her smile turned into a frown as she realised something, “Alex? Have you told her about...us?” she asked.

Alex looked at Liz, “Yes, I have,” he said.

Liz heart started to race. Isabel was the first who now knew about them.

“And?” Liz asked, “Is she going to tell Max?”

“No, calm down, Isabel promised to not to tell him anything, but she suggested you to talk with him soon,” Alex said with a small smile, that went unnoticed to Liz.

“What did she say?” Liz asked eagerly. “Did she freak out?”

“No,” Alex smiled, “While I was telling her everything, Isabel simply listened. And accepted it. She didn’t run around the city screaming about aliens,” Alex laughed.

Alex’s words calmed Liz down and gave her hope that Max would understand and accept her too.

Suddenly Liz saw something. “Look,” she pointed. “Isn’t that...Michael?” she asked as she and Alex looked at the car not so far away from them.

Alex looked closely before answering, “Yeah, it is,” he said and watched as the car drove away, “Weird, even Isabel doesn’t know much about Michael and now he is here, in Boston,” he muttered.

“Alex!” Liz gasped and once again looked at another car.

“Oh my,” Alex said, noticing the third member of their group, “Maria,” he whispered.

“Do I have to follow them and try to talk with her?” Liz asked unsurely. On the one hand she wanted to talk and meet Maria, she was their family after all. On the other hand, Maria was the one who had cut them out and left without giving any information. And now she suddenly was in Boston, just like Michael.

What was going on?
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Hey, I'm back. :) Thanks for your patience.

Timelord31
Sternbetrachter
clueless
pandas2001
POM
omwf
loviedovie
Liz2Infinity
L-J-L 76
stargrl678
Jen24
Morning Dreamgirl
abbs007
alizaleven

I know you still have many questions, but many of you are on the right way. And special thanks to clueless; I didn't count how many times you 'bumped' this story, but there were many bumps. :wink:

Part 15

Liz placed her keys on the small dinner table and turned back to Alex, who had come into the apartment after her.

“Do you want something to drink?” Liz asked and went to the fridge. “We have almost everything, except alcohol, but it isn’t like you or I can drink it anyway,” she chuckled.

“Just a water,” Alex replied and sat down by the counter, “So....” Alex said as he watched as Liz poured water in the glass, “What do you think?”

Liz froze. They hadn’t followed Michael and Maria, but questions were running all around in her head. What was Michael doing here? And why was Maria so suddenly in Boston as well? Liz felt so strange at one moment, like everyone else was hiding something, but she was the last one to know the truth.

Liz sighed, “I don’t know, Alex, I truly don’t know,” she said tiredly. “I don’t know what to do anymore,” she cried. “I’m getting married, but my future husband doesn’t even know that I’m not human. Besides, we still haven’t talked about so many things...To this day I still don’t have any idea what made Max act like he did in high school. It’s like we have somehow blocked everything bad out of our relationship and memories,” Liz admitted.

“Liz, I have already told you this like thousand times,” Alex said, “Talk to him; it’s the best way to find the answers you’re looking for, you know it,”

Alex continued, “I’m very happy with Isabel. Before telling her the truth about myself, something was missing, because I was basically lying to her every time I saw her. That was wrong. And that is wrong, Liz, you’re still lying to Max,” he scolded.

“I will, I promise,” Liz brushed it off and started making dinner.

“Your promises won’t get you far,” Alex shook his head. “I just hope when the times comes, your heart won’t be broken, because you were too scared,”

As soon as Liz heard the front door opening, she smiled and leaving the dinner unready, went to the living room.

Max had come home.

“Hi,” Max smiled as soon as he saw her. “I missed you,” he admitted.

“Hey, welcome back,” Liz smiled back.

Max dropped the suitcases he was holding and hugged her. Soon his lips found hers, not even giving Liz a chance to tell him that they had a guest.

“Hi, Max,” Alex said casually as he sat down on the couch and started eating the apple he had taken from the kitchen.

“Umm,” Max had forgotten about Alex’s visit, “Welcome, Alex, long time no see,” he said, when a smirk appeared on his face, “By the way, isn’t there something you want to tell me?”

Alex slowly turned his head to Max. At first Alex was kind of confused by this sudden question. But then he remembered where exactly Max had been and with whom he had met.

“Oh yes, Max, I’m marrying your sister,” he said with a smile. Max was a great guy and a wonderful brother.

Max smiled wider. “Congratulations, Alex, you both deserve it,” he said truly.

“Hey,” Liz interrupted them, “Have I missed something?” she asked confused.

“Why do you think that?” Max asked.

“Well, have you seen Isabel in the past few days?”

Max eyes widened as he realized his mistake, “Umm, no I haven’t seen her,”

“Then how you know about the wedding?”

Max shrugged. “We talked on the phone,” he said casually.

Liz found it weird. While Alex, her best friend, had basically come to town because he wanted to share the news with her in person, not by phone, Isabel apparently had done something else.

“Oh, I guess I’d better go and finish the dinner,” she said and went back to kitchen.

But Max was right behind her, “Hey,” he said softly as he circled his hands around her waist, “How are you? Missed me?” he asked.

Liz pretended to think for a moment before shrugging her shoulders. “Nah,” she shook her head, “Sorry, pal, but I didn’t miss y...”

Before Liz had a chance to finish her sentence, Max had turned her around and crushed his lips against hers.

After several moments, when they both had to pull away in order to get some air, Max asked her with a cocky grin, “Really? You say you don’t miss me, huh?”

“M-Max,” Liz moaned as he trailed kisses down on her neck. Her hands were in his hair, while his were wandering around her body.

A loud sound of something breaking pulled Max and Liz away immediately.

“What was that?” Liz asked breathlessly.

“Umm, guys?” Alex’s uncomfortable voice called from the living room, “I think I broke your vase,”

Max and Liz went in the living room and saw what Alex was talking about. Indeed there was a broken vase on the floor, or more correctly, what was left of it, and Alex was picking the pieces up.

“Oh, Alex, be careful, you can cut yourself,” Liz said rather loudly and went to Alex, who, startled by Liz’s sudden exclamation, cut himself with one of the pieces.

“Damn it,” Alex cursed.

Liz frowned; she knew that Alex only cursed in serious situations. Apparently he was in a lot of pain and Liz had to admit that the cut on his right hand indeed looked horrible and was bleeding.

Then again...She was an alien with a healing power. Just one little wave with the hand and Alex wouldn’t feel any pain at all.

But Max was there.

“Hmm, Max, could you bring me a towel from the bathroom?” she asked, hoping that he would be out soon and she would be able to heal Alex’s injury.

But Max was hesitating, “Are you sure? Maybe you can bring some bandage from the kitchen,” he asked, not even moving from his spot where he was standing not far away from Liz and Alex.

“Guys, I don’t care who brings what, but at least do something,” a very irritated Alex said, “I’m bleeding here, while you can’t agree,”

Max sighed, “Okay, I’m bringing towels,” he said and left the room, leaving Liz and Alex alone.

“Finally,” Liz muttered as she quickly healed Alex’s wound. She couldn’t heal it completely, since Max had seen it and he would be suspicious if the wound suddenly disappear, but she took away pain and stopped bleeding.

“Thanks,” Alex whispered and sighed in relief when he didn’t feel any pain.

Max came back with a towel in his hand, which he handed to Liz.

Soon Alex’s hand was strapped and Max had already left for a shower.

“You know, Liz, you just had a perfect chance to tell him the truth,” he pointed out.

“Alex, could you please stop it?” Liz cried irritated. She kept her voice quiet, since Max was in the apartment, “I know, you have told me like thousand time that I need to tell him and I have replied that I will. So, could you please stop scolding me?”

“Okay, don’t attack me,” Alex said, “I won’t bug you anymore with this subject, if you don’t want. Fine. I just wanted what’s the best for you, that’s all,” Alex shrugged.

Alex’s phone rang and he looked at the display, “Isabel,” he smiled.

Liz laughed at the expression on Alex’s face; he was totally in love with Isabel, “I guess I will leave you alone so you can talk,” she laughed and went back to the kitchen to finish half-made dinner.

Back in the living room Alex whispered, “Hey,”

“Hi,” Isabel said, “How’s going everything with Liz? Is Max back?” she asked.

“Yeah, Max is already back and I haven’t been here even for a day, but I’m already basically fighting with Liz,” he said and lowered his voice. He didn’t want Max or Liz to hear him.

“Oh, honey, what’s wrong? You never fight with Liz,” she pointed.

“She is just so stubborn sometimes,” Alex sighed, “If only she could tell Max the truth,”

Isabel laughed, “Yeah, I had the same thing. I have been trying to convince Max to talk with Liz for days! And he is just answering that he will and that’s it,”

“Isabel,” Alex started, “Maybe...”

Isabel interrupted him, “Don’t even think about it, Alex; they have to find out by themselves, it wouldn’t be right if we interfered,”

“They have been together for years, Isabel, and they still haven’t talked. What makes you think that they will do it sometime soon?” Alex argued.

“They’re going to marry, I’m sure by then there won’t be any secrets between the two of them,” Isabel soothed him.

“I hope so, Isabel, I really hope so,” Alex repeated.
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Thanks everyone for a great feedback! :wink:

Part 16

Almost six months later

“You look happy, Liz,” Isabel said as she looked at the brunette. The smile hadn’t left Liz’s face since Isabel had come to Boston yesterday.

“I am happy,” Liz said truly. “Today is my wedding day; I’m going to marry Max in an hour, how I can not be happy?” she asked and her smile widened even more.

She and Max had travelled a long road. They hadn’t a good, healthy beginning, but the fact that they were going to be married today meant something much more.

Almost six years before, Liz hadn’t believed that she and Max would ever be together. Her being an alien and the constant issues between her and Max didn’t help their relationship. Thinking about it now, Liz was sure only Max’s stubbornness brought them today in this church. If he had left her alone and moved on with his life, Liz wouldn’t be in her wedding dress right now.

Alex and Isabel had been married already for a couple of months and Liz had to admit, that he had never seen Alex happier. At one point, Liz even felt guilty that she had thought so badly of Isabel. The truth was, Isabel was the one for Alex.

Just like Max was the one for her.

Everything was great. Max had been a perfect boyfriend. He had helped to organize their wedding and Liz was glad that she could discuss everything with him.

Of course, except one thing...

Liz could hear Alex’s scolding voice in her head. He had been telling her forever to tell Max the truth, but what had she done? Nothing.

In the last six months, Liz had met Alex many times and he hadn’t scolded her, like he had promised before, but Liz could see everything in his eyes. Alex thought that she was making a mistake by marrying Max without telling him the truth.

Sometimes Liz couldn’t understand herself. She had agreed with Alex when he said that it wouldn’t be a marriage if she married Max without talking with him. Still, she couldn’t make herself say those words.

She couldn’t just walk to him and say, “Hey, honey, did you have a great day? I started dinner, did some laundry, I’m an alien and your mother called,”

She couldn’t say anything like that. She had to wait for an appropriate moment. But at the same time, Liz was scared that this ‘moment’ would never come.

And it wasn’t like she hadn’t even tried to talk with him...

A couple of months earlier

She and Max were spending the evening by watching some TV. It was already late and the room was dark. Liz was lying on top of Max, her eyes looking directly at television.

Liz frowned a little, when she noticed that the movie they watched contained alien stuff.

Maybe it was the best time to talk...

“Max?” Liz asked, trying to control her voice and prevent it from shaking.

“Hmm?”

“What are you thinking about?”

There was an awkward silence, before Max answered, “You?” he more asked than stated.

Liz rolled her eyes and didn’t say anything.

After a moment, she couldn’t help but ask, “Max, do you believe in aliens?”

She felt as Max stiffened underneath her. That didn’t mean anything good, Liz thought.

Max finally let out a small laugh, “Why are you asking this?” he said and Liz could swear there was agitation in his voice.

Suddenly there was some kind of tension in the room and Liz cursed inwardly, she couldn’t tell him the truth now.

“Nothing, just wondering,” she shrugged. “Forget about it,” she said and hoped that Max wouldn’t ask any questions.

He didn’t ask any questions while they were watching TV.

But he did later that night.

“Liz,” Max said when they were getting ready to bed, “Do you believe in aliens?” he asked seriously.

And again she had a perfect chance to reveal herself.

But she couldn’t make herself to tell them.

“Hmm, not sure,” Liz replied as she sat down on the bed. “Haven’t thought about it,” she lied.

Liz looked at Max; he indeed looked somehow uncomfortable and nervous. She watched as he opened his mouth to say something.

“So, did you like the movie?” he said with a forced smile and Liz couldn’t shake the feeling that originally Max had intended to say something else.

But what?

“Liz?” Isabel asked, “Have you talked with Max about...you know,” she said with a forced smile.

Although Isabel was Alex’s wife, Liz wasn’t even her friend at first. But, taking step by step, Liz was getting to know Isabel. Both Alex and Max wanted to Isabel and Liz to become friends and Liz had to admit that the blonde girl wasn’t so bad in the end. Still, the two of them couldn’t call each other as a best friend, but that was a start.

“No,” Liz replied, “I have tried to tell him, but...I couldn’t find the right moment to do it,”

“Liz, you know you’re getting married today and you still haven’t told Max the truth. Don’t you find it somehow wrong?” Isabel asked with a raised eyebrow and her arms crossed.

Great, Liz thought, if not Alex, then Isabel would bug her.

“I will do it,” Liz promised again, “I can’t do it now, by the altar,” she pointed out.

Isabel sighed tiredly, “You had the past six years to tell him the truth, six years!” she cried frustrated.

Liz knew that Isabel was right.

She was an alien and her future husband had the right to know it. At some point Liz even found it strange that he hadn’t asked anything, not that Liz minded. Thankfully, Liz hadn’t those dreams in the last years. So, she wasn’t speaking strange names in her sleep.

But she and Max hadn’t made love either. Surprisingly, but in the end they both decided to wait until the wedding night. At one point Liz found it romantic, but on the other side it scared her.

She knew that Maria had slept with Max. That was some kind of reason to not worry about human-alien sex. But what Liz truly knew about it? She hadn’t talked with Maria in years and Max didn’t remember anything about that night. Although Alex and Isabel were married and he didn’t mention anything unusual. That gave hope.

And then there were other things to worry about. Mr. Pierce still dated her mother. And Liz still didn’t like him. It wasn’t like he had ever given her a reason to not like him, but he was always asking things about her. Liz had used to guard her life and Mr. Pierce wanted to know all about her. What was wrong with him?

“It’s time,” Isabel said, snapping Liz out of her thoughts, “Come on, my brother is already waiting for you at the other end of the aisle,”

The wedding was beautiful. Both Nancy and Diane cried, as Liz had predicted. But overall, Liz could feel only love and joy. She was happy, because finally she was Max’s wife.

She was his and he was hers.

And Liz hoped they would be together forever.

The wedding ceremony was long over and the reception was nearing its end as well. Soon she and Max would leave for the airport. She still didn’t know where they were going for their honeymoon. Max had told her to not to worry about, that he would plan and do everything. And now he refused to tell her where they would go.

Soon Liz and Max were on the street, saying goodbye to both Alex and Isabel, when two persons came to them.

At first there were gasps from Isabel and Liz, then – silence.

What they were doing here, Liz wondered.

There, in front of them, were standing Maria and Michael. A very pregnant Maria, Liz noticed.

“Liz, there is something you need to know about Max,” Maria said.
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Yes, believe it or not, but I'm posting another part! :D

Part 17

“Liz, I need to tell you something about Max,” Maria said.

Liz watched as Michael wrapped his arms around Maria’s pregnant belly. She didn’t know what to think...or do. She and Maria hadn’t talked for years, hadn’t even seen each other. She and Maria had had a beautiful friendship, but it still hurt that her ex-best friend and future husband had slept together.

Although, seeing Maria and Michael together six months ago, had made Liz think about the whole situation. She and Max were happily together and Liz had forgiven him. Of course, Liz hadn’t forgotten everything that had happened and they still needed to talk about it.

But they were happy. Why wouldn’t she talk with Maria and forgive her? But Maria was in a slightly different situation than Max. Maria had been Liz’s best friend for a long time and she had never mentioned her ‘little’ obsession with Max.

Why did Maria do what she did? She didn’t only betray Liz, but Alex too in some way. They had promised to be together, without secrets and lies. Maria had both lied and manipulated. Many times, Maria had been angry with Liz, just because of Max, and that had ruined their relationship. Could Liz forgive that?

But now Maria was back. She was back, pregnant and with Michael. What did it mean?

Liz felt Max take her hand in his, like he was protecting her and giving support. Alex and Isabel were standing not far away from them, looking utterly surprised.

Michael was the first to speak again. “Perhaps it would be better if we go inside,” he suggested.

Liz nodded. They were standing on the street, which wasn’t the best place for a talk, especially with Maria.

They all moved back into the building. When they were inside, the silence came again.

Liz couldn’t stand it anymore. “What is it, Maria?” she asked impatiently.

Maria fidgeted. “Um, can I talk to you, Liz?” she asked, rather nervously.

“You are already talking,” Liz pointed out.

“Alone,” she added.

Liz nodded again. She and Maria had to talk.

“I guess we will be outside, Liz,” Alex said, wanting to leave them alone.

Liz watched as Alex and Isabel went outside again. A couple of moments later, Michael joined them too, but Max still hadn’t let go of her hand.

Apparently he didn’t want to go away and who could blame him? Maria wanted to tell her something about him; Max had the right to know.

“Can Max stay?” she asked to Maria.

Maria shook her head slowly, “I’m not sure if I can tell you everything while he is here,” she said. “I promise...it’s nothing bad, but...I think it would be better for us to be alone,”

“Oh,” Liz said, agreeing with Maria in some way. What if she wanted to talk about something alien-related? Max couldn’t be here.

Liz looked at Max. “Max?” she asked, “Can you...wait outside?

Max hesitated. “I don’t want to leave you, Liz,” he said.

Liz sighed, “I know, Max, but don’t worry, everything is going to be alright, we’re married now.” She smiled; Max was her husband now.

“You know I love you, right?” Max whispered quietly and gently kissed her forehead. “I’m going to be just outside, if you need me,” he said and slowly went outside.

When Liz heard the door closed, she turned to Maria.

“What you have to say?” she asked rather impatiently. Although she longed to find out what Maria knew, it was still her wedding day and the wedding night wasn’t far away. She wanted to be with her husband.

Maria several times opened her mouth to say something, but nothing came out.

“Maria, just say it,” Liz said impatient.

“You know that I really loved you both, you and Alex, right?” Maria whispered. “You were my family, my only true family...And I ruined it all,”

“Maria, did you really love Max?” Liz asked, already fearing the answer. Maria was kind of obsessed with Max, there had to be some feelings underneath, right?

Maria answered without hesitation.

“No,” she said, “I’m not proud of what I have done in the past, but...what’s done...is done and I can’t change it now. I know I hurt you and Alex...and Max. I hurt even myself in the process,”

“Then why did you do it?” Liz asked.

The blonde girl sighed, “I don’t know. I thought I loved Max years ago, but now, being with Michael, I know that my feelings towards Max weren’t love, far from it. No one is perfect, Liz, people make mistakes all the time and…I guess this was the exact thing I did. I made a mistake. Simple as that,”

Liz shook her head, “But you hurt too many people and too deep,”

“I know, Liz, I really do. I have lived with this stab of guilt for years. For years,” Maria pointed out and then added, “Can you forgive me, Liz? I know I don’t deserve your forgiveness and I will never have your trust back, but...you, Alex and me...we’re a family, we have to stick together. I know I was the one who destroyed everything, but still...Can you forgive me, Liz?” Maria asked again.

“I can’t trust you, you know that, Maria, at least not now, but...you’re right, we’re a family and we should be together,” Liz said. “But I think I can forgive you,” she added then.

Maria smiled widely, came to Liz and hugged her tightly as much as her pregnant belly would allow, “Thank you, Liz, thank you so much,” she whispered over and over.

After some moments, Maria stepped back and Liz saw tears in her eyes. Liz was surprised when she noticed tears in her own eyes as well.

In some way if felt like she had her best friend back. Yes, they still had a long road ahead them, but it was a start.

“What did you want to say about Max?” Liz asked again.

“He is a good man,” Maria said.

“I know that, you don’t have to say that,” she smiled.

“And he...Max and I…We didn’t sleep together, Liz,” Maria said suddenly.

Liz felt as air rushed out of her lungs for a moment. It couldn’t be true, could it? She had years to cope with the fact that Max and Maria had slept together. Now, everything was upside down again.

“H-How is that possible?”

“Easy,” said Maria, “I’m embarrassed about it now, but...Max didn’t sleep with me. He was drunk that night and I just...used that. He was already sound asleep in that bed when I found him. I took his clothes off and then lay down on the bed besides him. He was too drunk to remember anything, so I was able to convince him in the morning that we had been intimate,” Maria said quietly.

Liz’s head was spinning. Max hadn’t slept with Maria?

“How could you do something like that, Maria? To lie to me about something big as this?” she asked. .

Maria shrugged, “I don’t know. Like I said, I’m not perfect and I made a mistake. I guess I had hoped that after that night, Max would be with me, but...after that night he avoided me even more,”

“I can’t travel back in time and repair everything I’ve done, but I can start with the truth,” Maria added.

“How much does Michael know?” Liz asked then.

“Everything and even more...” Maria smiled, “He can be trusted, Michael knows everything about aliens as well,” she added.

Liz’s eyes widened. Were she and Max the last ones to talk? Isabel knew and now Michael...Why Liz wasn’t able to do the same?

“We wanted to come earlier, before the wedding, but our plane was cancelled and we barely caught you before you left,” Maria explained, “I know Max wants to know the truth as well, perhaps we can ask him to come in?” Maria suggested.

“No,” Liz shook her head, “I want to be the one who tells him,” she explained and smiled a little. She knew Max would be glad to hear the news.

Who knew that Maria would say something as great as this?
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Hey! A huge thanks to those who are still reading this fic and leaving feedback. I get feedback less and less... :cry:

Anyway.....I'm so happy right now. Just found out my results for tuition pay and scholarship. I got it ALL! 8) I won't have to pay for the next two semesters plus I will get a scholarship as well. Woo-hoo!

Part 18

“Hey,” Max whispered quietly, before leaning down a little bit and softly kissing his wife’s lips.

“Hi,” Liz replied. She and Maria had come out to the others and Max had immediately taken her hand and pulled Liz closer to him.

“Alex?” Maria asked, “Can I talk with you now?”

Alex smiled when Liz encouraged him to go and talk with her. Everything was working out slowly.

“Sure,” he said and they both went inside, leaving the others outside.

“Hey,” Max protested a little bit, “When she is going to talk with me?” he asked, “I want to leave as soon as possible and have some time with my new wife,” he grinned, but Liz knew that underneath he was nervous about what Maria had told her.

“Don’t worry,” Liz soothed him, “Maria didn’t say anything bad,” she said, “Besides I’m going to tell you the news, so we can go now,” she smiled.

“What news?” Max asked.

“I don’t think the street is the best place for that, but I will tell you in the hotel,” Liz said and laughed as Max practically dragged her back to their car.

“So, what are we waiting for?” he asked impatiently. “Let’s go,” Max laughed as well.

Liz could barely say good-bye to Isabel. She even exchanged some words with Michael, but she didn’t know him well, so it was quite awkward.

Soon after that she and Max were in the car, on their way to the hotel. They had booked a hotel for their wedding night, but tomorrow they would leave for their honeymoon to Mexico.

“So...What did Maria say?” Max asked. Again.

“Hmm, no, Max, don’t even try, I will tell you as soon as we’re in our room. Don’t worry, I bet you will be happy,” Liz smiled. She knew that Max had the right to know and she would tell him, but Liz preferred a room, not a car or street.

“How is Michael?” she asked instead.

Max looked at her briefly. “Maria didn’t tell you anything about her and Michael?” he asked.

Liz shook her head. “No, she mentioned a couple of things, but I don’t know much,” she explained.

Max smiled, “Well, Michael is indeed happy,” he said. “Michael found Maria not long after graduation and since then they have been together off and on. But now Maria is pregnant and after the baby is born, they’re going to be married,” Max explained.

Soon they were at the hotel and in a blink of an eye, Liz found herself in the room.

They had all night to themselves. Liz smiled at that thought.

Liz shivered when she noticed that Max was watching her. But his look was different somehow and his eyes were darker than usual.

But at first they needed to talk.

“Max,” Liz said, in order to get his attention, “I need to tell you what Maria said,”

Her words immediately gave her Max’s attention.

“What she said?” Max gulped.

Liz smiled and slowly came to her husband, “Maria told me...that you never slept with her,” she whispered into his ear.

Max stiffened, “H-How...W-When...A-Are you sure, Liz?” he asked uncertainly.

“Yeah,” Liz answered, “She said that you were too drunk and she just...used that. She took your clothes off and in the morning she told you that you two had slept together and since you didn’t remember anything....” Liz said.

Max started pacing in the room. “Wow...I can’t believe she lied,” he whispered.

Liz nodded, “Yeah, she lied. But I have forgiven her, Max,”

Max turned his head and looked into Liz’s eyes, “Are you sure? You haven’t seen each other for years and ... she has been bad to us, are you sure you have forgiven her?”

She nodded again, “I know it was kind of fast and it’s not like we’re best friends again, far from it, but...I just wanted this peace in my heart. Somewhere deep inside she was a good person. I’m sure now, with Michael and the baby on the way, she is good and Maria truly regrets everything she had done in the past,”

“Are you okay with this?” Liz asked then. “Because I want to improve my friendship with her, so I will be seeing her in the future. But I know she has hurt you too, and I will understand if you don’t want me to meet her anymore...or something,” she said.

Max shook his head, “No. You can meet her as much as you want, I’m your husband, not your owner,” he chuckled. “It’s just...I’m surprised, you know. To find out that I haven’t been with Maria...I feel like I finally deserve you in some way,” he said and gently took her hand in his. “But you know, I have a secret on my own,”

Liz’s eyes widened not for the first time that evening and surely not for the last, “What?”

Liz said aloud only one word, but her head was spinning. Max had secrets? Heck, she had known he was hiding...something. All those times in high-school when he had changed his attitude towards her meant something, right? He was hiding something...What?

Max grinned and took some steps forward, making Liz to back, until she was trapped between Max and the wall.

Liz head was still spinning due to Max’s behaviour and close proximity. Tonight would be their first time together. They were married finally. And Liz hoped she and Max would be together forever.

Max leaned down and kissed her lips softly. Liz moaned loudly, when he started trailing small kisses down to her neck. His lips felt wonderful, but Liz wanted to know what secrets he had.

“Max,” she said, wanting to sound stern, but her own body failed to listen to her and his name came out as a breathy moan.

“Yeah?” Max smirked against her skin and Liz inwardly cursed him, he obviously knew that she couldn’t resist him.

“You wanted to tell me something,” Liz reminded him.

Max sighed, “Remember, I was some sort of player back in high school?” he mumbled against her skin, not stopping leaving kisses on her neck.

Duh! How could she forget? Liz knew that he had most probably had slept with half of the school, why did he want to bring it up now? On their wedding night? It was kind of killing the mood....

“And?” Liz urged him to go on, whatever he wanted to tell her.

“I’m a virgin too, Liz,” Max whispered, before sealing her lips with his, powerfully silencing her gasp of surprise.

Liz melted as Max kissed her passionately. She loved his kisses, but Liz was too surprised about the newfound information to let them both to continue kissing.

Gently, she broke the kiss and pushed Max a little further from her.

Gasping for breath, she asked, “You’re what?!” Liz asked rather loudly. Louder than she wanted.

“Well, I’m a virgin, Liz,” he repeated. “I haven’t been intimate with anyone,”

“Oh,” Liz had to sit down on the bed. “Are you sure?” she asked, but almost laughed out loudly at how stupid her question sounded.

Instead Max was the one who laughed, “Yeah, I’m pretty sure about it...now,”

“For a long time I believed that I had slept with Maria, but...it wasn’t true,” he smiled, “And I haven’t slept with anyone else either. The whole ‘player’ thing was a myth. I’m not even sure who started it. I know, I dated a lot, but everything else...is not true,” he explained.

Liz shook her head as she remembered something, “No, Kyle said that he saw you and his girlfriend in bed,”

Max frowned a little, “Yeah, I remember her. I liked her for a while, but since she was Kyle’s girlfriend, I didn’t do anything. But one night, I don’t know…something happened, I was at a party again and drank something; something that most likely had an alcohol in it since I don’t tolerate it very well. I remember just the moment when Kyle attacked me. I fought back and that’s all. She and I...we both had underwear on. We didn’t do anything,” Max explained.

Liz sighed and smiled. She didn’t expect to see Maria on her wedding day. She didn’t expect to find out that her husband was a virgin. She didn’t expect to feel so free and happy at the same time.

Liz felt happy. At that exact moment, she didn’t care that she had something to tell him too. There were together, Max and Liz. Mr. Evans and Mrs. Evans. They were just a boy and a girl, who had fallen truly, madly and deeply in love with each other.

Nothing else mattered.

Except this moment.

Lol, I know that whole Max – virgin was kind of cheesy, wasn’t it? Can’t help it though. :lol:
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Hey, thanks for the great feedback. :)

Part 19

A couple of months later

Liz yawned and stretched her arms above her head. It was an early morning, but Liz could already see that it would be a wonderful day, full of sun and warmth.

Hazily, she heard the water running. Max was already in the shower then. Usually she was there with him, but since she had been working late last night, apparently Max had decided to let her sleep some more.

The last few months had been wonderful with Max as her husband. In the morning, after their wedding night, they had left for their honeymoon. The wedding night was normal; at least Liz thought so, since everything seemed more or less normal. Nothing unusual or abnormal happened and Liz was very glad about that.

On the one hand, Liz was extremely glad that they now could make love and she didn’t have to be scared anymore, but on the other hand it didn’t give her any reason to tell Max the truth about herself.

Everything was normal, so why bother? But Liz knew she was wrong. Alex knew she was wrong. Heck, even Isabel, Maria and Michael had reminded her to tell Max almost every time she saw them.

But she and Max were happy. Liz loved being his wife; waking up and going to sleep with him, sharing their emotions and thoughts. Even Max had opened a little bit more than usual. It looked like the smile didn’t disappear from his face at all. Although, Liz suspected that she was the same; she even woke with a smile on her face, already thinking about her day with Max.

Sometimes real life interfered with their happy bubble. Unfortunately, Liz couldn’t spend all her time with her dearly beloved husband, because they needed food sometimes too and for that, they needed money. Basically Liz saw Max only in the morning and evening and of course, weekends, but that wasn’t enough. Of course, they usually ate dinner together and Max sometimes surprised her with a visit to her job, but...it wasn’t enough.

Besides, Max still went away for a couple of days at a time. It wasn’t often, but once a month at least. Those trips perhaps were the only things that somehow worried Liz.

Liz had once asked if she could go with him. Max’s reaction even scared her a bit. He quickly shook his head and said ‘no’, basing his explanation on the fact, that he was really busy then and Liz would be alone for the most of the time.

Still, the weird feeling in Liz’s heart didn’t disappear and that was the only ‘dark’ cloud in their marriage. She suspected that Max was hiding something from her. Liz knew he would never cheat on her, she could see his love for her every day. They had travelled such a long road; there was no way Max would cheat on her now.

But what he was hiding then? Liz didn’t push his buttons about this, clearly knowing that she was hiding and basically lying to her husband every day.

Liz smiled when she heard the door of the bathroom open.

“Good-morning,” Max said, noticing that she was awake.

“Morning,” Liz murmured as her husband kissed her.

When he tried to pull away, Liz only wrapped her arms around him and pulled him closer. Max didn’t have any other choice but to lie on the bed, almost on top of Liz.

Liz smirked when she felt her husband’s rock hard erection under the thin layer of his towel.

Liz knew that Max had to go to work, but how could she let him go when he was walking around her with a towel wrapped around his hips and water droplets on his chest?

“Liz,” Max growled as she moved her lips to his neck and then further down to his chest. “How much time do we have?” he asked then breathlessly, giving up.

Liz only briefly glanced at the clock besides their bed. “Half an hour,” she murmured.

Max quickly ripped the sheet from Liz’s body, earning an amused shriek from his wife. Since she was already naked from their activities the previous night, Max’s gaze fell down to her naked chest.

Liz’s breath caught in her throat when she saw Max’s eyes darken even more. She blushed when he continued to observe her chest, which rose up and down with every breath she took.

Their eyes locked for a moment, which seemed like eternity, but when Liz’s hand disappeared down and his towel came off, Max growled before kissing her. Max claimed her lips hard, almost roughly, but Liz only returned his kiss with equal passion.

~ ~ ~

Liz gave Max the last kiss and fixed his tie, before he finally went to work. He was already late and Liz felt guilty about it, but Max quickly assured her that everything was fine. Even more than fine, he added with a grin.

Liz sighed as she closed the door and leaned against it. She glanced at the clock and cursed silently, she needed to get ready or she would be late for work too.

Liz quickly ran to the bathroom and got ready in the record time. As she was finishing getting ready and was brushing her long hair, her whole world shattered. Liz gasped as she saw a light emitting from her body.

Liz froze, not being able to move. For the few last years, she hadn’t used her powers at all and she hadn’t had any of those dreams either. Why was something like this suddenly happening now? It wasn’t right; she wanted to be happy with Max, not worrying about alien stuff.

But the weird glow under her top was connected with her alien side, right?

With shaking hands, Liz put down the comb and closed her eyes for a moment, taking deep breathes of air, trying to calm herself in the process.

‘This can’t be happening,’ she repeated in her mind over and over.

She didn’t even know what was happening to her and that scared her more. Something was wrong with her body and Liz feared that it wasn’t something good.

Slowly, still with shaking hands, Liz pulled up her top and gasped at the sight.

There still was that glow, now brighter without the layer of the fabric and something...no someone was there, moving in her. Liz’s mouth gaped open when she saw a tiny hand pressing against her skin.

Not being able to hold down her curiosity, Liz hesitated only a moment, before moving one of her hands down to her belly and then pressing it against the tiny hand inside her.

Immediately the flashes began. Liz felt tears in her eyes, as she finally understood.

She was pregnant. She was pregnant with Max’s baby.

At first there was joy. Liz couldn’t help but smile widely at the thought that she and Max had created something such beautiful. They had talked about children only briefly, agreeing that they would wait a year or two before considering something like this.

Liz was on the pill, but apparently it didn’t work this time. But Liz was only happy about it.

But then her smile faded as the reality crashed on her. The glow and everything...it wasn’t normal. She wasn’t normal. Liz couldn’t continue this anymore, she had to talk with Max and finally tell him the truth.

Liz understood that in one way or another, Max would find out the truth. His alien wife was pregnant with his baby and there of course were some side effects.

At this point Liz couldn’t believe what a coward she had been. She had dated Max for years, without telling him the truth. She had spent years in fear that he would leave her as soon as he finds out the truth.

Liz heard a knock at the door and she hurriedly pulled the top back. Quickly she went back in the bedroom and took one of her jumpers and put it on. She did everything possible to hide the glow under her skin, and with a quick glance at the mirror, she nodded silently. She couldn’t see anything now; the heavy layer of wool covered her stomach.

Just now, Liz went to the door and was somehow relieved that the knocking didn’t resume; obviously the person at the other side of the door had left.

Just as she was turning around to go back to the bedroom, Liz noticed an envelope by the door. Curiously she bent down and took it, a bad feeling appearing deep in her heart.

It was a simple envelope, without their address or any return address either.

Liz opened the envelope and took out its contents.

She gasped at the sight of photos in her hands. And Max was in all them.

Tears blurred her vision. Max wasn’t alone in them, but Tess was by his side. They were laughing together. Liz quickly went through the pictures, wanting to get over it as fast as possible.

The photos fell out of her hands as Liz saw the final photo, where Max and Tess were kissing.

Was Max cheating on her? Thousands of questions filled her head, but her emotions took the best part of her.

‘That’s why he had been taking all those trips,’ she thought as the anger filled her more and more.

Max had vowed his love to her and now...was everything a lie?

Liz ran back to the bedroom, not caring about the photos on the floor, and pulled out her suitcase.

Liz didn’t want to see Max again. Maria had been right years ago; Max had truly broken her heart.