Memories/My Immortal (AU, M/L, Mature) COMPLETE

Finished stories set in an alternate universe to that introduced in the show, or which alter events from the show significantly, but which include the Roswell characters. Aliens play a role in these fics. All complete stories on the main AU with Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

Erina
Forum Moderator

Memories/My Immortal (AU, M/L, Mature) COMPLETE

Post by Erina »

Title: Memories/My Immortal

Disclaimer: The characters of "Roswell" belong to Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, WB, and UPN. They are not mine and no infringement is intended. The songs are not also mine.

Pairings/Couples/Category: M/L

Rating: Mature

Summary: I really don't know if I can even summarize it. Let's see....Starts in year 2007. Liz is alone, when everyone else are in Roswell happily together. Why? Why she is alone? Read! Read and you will find out!

Author's Note: Thanks to my wonderful beta Heavenli24. You are really the best! Also I will use a lot transcripts of Roswell (in italics) from CrashDown; once again - nothing is mine...

<center><b>Prologue</b></center>

"My Immortal"

I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
'Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me

You used to captivate me
By your resonating light
Now I'm bound by the life you left behind
Your face it haunts
My once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away
All the sanity in me

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me
I've been alone all along

By Evanescence

June, 2007

She looked outside at the rain. She was almost always a happy person, content with her not-so-long life. But not today...Maybe her happiness and joy of life had disappeared, when something incredible happened. A miracle. She cursed that day. That day she lost her innocence, happiness and peace in her heart, instead she received this sadness and loneliness.

She was alone; completely alone. She might have friends, but she couldn’t tell them everything. They were just people with whom she spent her free time, nothing more. She once had friends, real friends, but it seemed they weren’t so loyal to her as she had thought.

Liz didn’t blame them for that. Although she was hurt and her heart was broken, Liz understood. It was hard, but she did. Liz had chosen this life, a life without family, friends or...a boyfriend/husband. She was responsible, not them. Liz could have stayed in Roswell, but then she would have suffered much more. She was sure about that.

When she was little, Liz didn’t know anything about how life could be cruel. Now she knew more than she’d ever wanted. Liz had never wanted the life she had now, but...she didn’t have a choice. No, that wasn’t entirely true. She’d had a choice and she made it. Now all she had to do was deal with the consequences.

Another tear went down her cheek. Today was supposed to be her fifth wedding anniversary. Alex would have celebrated his second birthday today. But instead of children laughs, all Liz heard was rain. She didn’t feel her husband’s love, but loneliness. Her eyes were dead, just like her soul.

Sometimes Liz didn’t want to live, but she had no choice in that either. She had to stay alive to make sure that everything was fine and going according to plan. She had chosen this pain. Now Liz had to live with knowledge that the love of her life was happily together with another woman. And she had to make sure they stayed together.

She loved him, more than ever, but those memories haunted and pained her. Her wounds were still fresh open and she was sure they would never heal. Sometimes her memories helped her to live, to keep her sanity. Sometimes she was so happy to remember they time together. Their first kiss...first date...the first time they had made love...Their wedding in the small church...Their child...Their happiness...Sometimes, she lived just for those memories. She felt alive. But then she would come back to real life, where all she had was a cold apartment and empty bed.

She was alone.

Someone disturbed her misery by knocking at the door. Liz slowly came to the door and opened it.

“Hey, Tess,” Liz simply said.
Last edited by Erina on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:00 am, edited 34 times in total.
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Chapter 1

“Hey, Tess,” Liz simply said. She looked at the young girl with blonde hair and bright blue eyes. Sometimes she envied her so much, but sometimes she felt so sorry for her. Just like her, Tess had to do something against her own will.

But right now Tess had all Liz had ever wanted. Max Evans as her boyfriend, lover and fiancé. That’s right, Max had proposed to Tess and they were going to get married. When Liz had received the news from Tess, she felt sick. But what she had expected?

Liz had left Roswell when she was barely sixteen and moved to her aunt in Florida. She didn’t return home. Never. Every birthday or holiday her parents would come to her, but not otherwise. She just couldn’t go and see Max. Her heart hurt just at the thought about that. He was supposed to be with Tess, his queen. Not with her.

After graduating high school in Florida, she had moved to Boston. Her childhood dream had come true – she was accepted to Harvard. But then and now, that was still a childhood dream. Since the summer of 1999, her dreams had changed. Although she had now a good apartment and a stable job, her heart desired just one thing...an alien king from another planet.

She had seen him during the last eight years. Once. Just once, but it was enough to deepen her misery even more.

Liz didn’t want to see him, she really didn’t, but it was Maria’s wedding and although, Liz hadn’t kept in touch with her through the years, she wanted to witness this happy day. Maria had married Michael. What a surprise, right? Liz couldn’t believe how much he had changed. In her memories, he was this rude and tough guy who had left Maria alone in the desert, when he had thought he was becoming a King. But he had changed, like they all had.

Surprise, surprise, but Michael had good marks through his high school years, although he had kept his bad-boy reputation at the same time. He hadn’t searched for answers about their origins, but instead he had settled in a nice life. He had married Maria immediately after graduation...In the same day as Liz and Max were supposed to get married. But...today was Michael’s and Maria’s fifth anniversary. Although this day was hard to Liz every day, she was happy about her former best friend. Maria had wanted to become a rock star, but at the moment, she was a perfect housewife for Michael. Right now, they were living in Roswell and Maria was working as a teacher in a Roswell High. But Liz was still really surprised, when Tess had said that Michael was working with Mr. Evans as a lawyer.

Isabel hadn’t changed at all. She was cold and reserved to all but her friends and husband. Isabel and Alex had married recently and Liz was happy for them too. They deserved happiness. She sometimes remembered Isabel’s grief and despair when Alex had died.They all had grieved, but it was something much more to Isabel. He was her first love.

Liz was glad, that both, well three couples, had found their happiness, but sometimes she felt...alone and abandoned. She didn’t have a shoulder to cry on. She was all by herself. At the same time, Isabel was with Alex, Michael with Maria...and the love of her life – with Tess, fulfilling destiny.

But what was her destiny? Would she be alone all life?

“Liz,” Tess said and sighed. That wasn’t easy both of them, but they needed to keep in touch. Just in case....

“Come in,” Liz politely asked the blonde girl in. Liz didn’t hate her – not then, not now. Although she might have every reason to hate Tess, she simply couldn’t. That was then. Now was another life and another game to play. And at the moment, Liz felt like loser, while everybody was celebrating their victories.

Liz looked as Tess went inside her apartment. That was her first time here. Usually they talked on the phone, but this time Tess had insisted that they needed to meet. Liz couldn’t help but wonder what was wrong.

Max, Tess, Micheal, Maria, Alex and Isabel didn’t like to be separated. They were always together; no matter what. Liz felt a familiar pain in her chest. She was supposed to be there too. With her friends and family around. Liz scolded herself once again ...That was her fault, not Tess’, not Max’s, hers and only hers.

Tess turned around and opened her mouth to say something, but words didn’t come out. Liz was looking at her hand with a surprised and shocked expression.

Liz couldn’t tear her eyes from Tess’ hand where her engagement ring sat. It was really beautiful and large and....Max had given it to her.

At that moment Liz understood – they were really going to get married. Before, all that seemed so unreal and surreal, but now, as Tess stood before her with a huge engagement ring, Liz accepted the truth.

She and Max were never going to be together. Call it destiny, fate or any other word, but they weren’t simply meant to be with each other. Life. That was life, which Liz had to accept in order to survive and stay sane.

Liz somehow found her voice and tore her eyes from the ring and looked Tess directly in eyes, “What’s wrong?” she asked.

“We are moving,” Tess said, “Tomorrow,” she added.

“Wow....” Liz said surprised. She totally didn’t expect that. Liz had thought that they were pretty much content with living in Roswell, with all their families, friends and ...everything. She had stayed as far as possible from the only place she had considered home and now they were moving...What exactly did that mean for her?

“Yeah, I am still in shock too,” Tess said with a small smile.

“Where?” asked Liz. Liz didn’t even know why exactly she was asking. All she cared about was not running into Max. As long as she kept her distance and her emotions in check, the world was safe. But what about her?

Tess chuckled, “I don’t know,” she replied as she came to the window. The rain had stopped and sun peaked through clouds. Immediately she explained, “Max and Isabel have already packed all my stuff. Max had said it was a surprise,” Tess said with a smile.

Immediately Liz was pulled in a memory.

“You look amazing,” Max said as he handed her a bouquet of white roses. Her favourite.

Liz leaned down a little bit and inhaled their scent, “They're my favourite,” she said and turned slightly to face Max, “Thank you. So where are we going?” Liz asked.

Max paused for a moment, then whispered with a grin, “It's a surprise”.

It's a surprise, It's a surprise, It's a surprise, It's a surprise, It's a surprise...

‘Oh God,’ Liz thought. All those memories were so real. She remembered every single detail, like it all happened only yesterday.

But it hadn’t happened yesterday. In fact, it hadn’t happened at all; like all her memories of Max and their time together; like they hadn’t been together in love at all. The thought that they indeed weren’t in love and hadn’t been together; brought tears to Liz’s eyes, but she quickly blinked them away. To stay strong – was her motto, no matter what. Tess didn’t need to see her break down.

Tess still caught that something was wrong with her, “Liz,” she said softly and came closer to her, “Are you okay,” Tess asked, looking directly in her eyes.

Liz quickly looked away and replied, “Y-Yes, I’m fine,” she said, trying to convince herself more than Tess. She was fine, right?

“Are you sure?” Tess didn’t cave in.

“Yes!” Liz half-snapped, half-yelled. As soon as the word had left her mouth, she regretted it. She was being unfair. She needed to take all her anger and frustration out and Tess was the closest to her, “I’m sorry,” she whispered, “It’s just....” she paused to gather her thoughts, “I had a very stressful week at work. I had to fly to LA and just got back. But that doesn’t excuse my behaviour....”

“No, don’t feel sorry about that Liz,” Tess interrupted her, “You are tired and I...well and I have showed up here, almost without any word. I didn’t want to interfere, Liz,” she said.

‘But that is exactly what you did,’ Liz thought.

Valenti had just gone out the door, when Michael came out from the kitchen.
“He knows,” Michael said in a slightly angry and irritated voice.

Max sighed and asked with equal irritation: “What does he know?”

“He's got the orb,” Michael said as if it was the simplest thing in the world.

“Which proves nothing,” Max stated and after a while continued, “And if you hadn't taken it out of the apartment in the first place...”

“Oh, yeah, it's always my fault,” said Michael with now clear anger in his voice.

Isabel quickly stepped in, “Blaming each other is not going to change anything. So Valenti now has something from our planet in his possession,” she tried to tell them as calmly as possible.

“Even though he has it, he doesn't know what it is, right?” Liz said.

“We don't even know what it is,” Max let a frustrated sigh.

Suddenly Tess appeared, “What what is?” she asked. When everyone immediately stopped talking and looked at her, she apologized: “Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt anything.”

“No, no,” Isabel said. “Hey, we were just... um... Why don't you join us? Have a seat,” Isabel invited Tess.

“Thanks,” Tess replied with a bright smile and moved to sit up, in the process pushing Liz away from them.

Liz was even more shocked, when Tess started to talk so easy and without any discomfort; like they were her friends. But what worried her the most, was the fact that Max couldn’t tear his eyes from Tess.

Liz quickly tried to clear her head. She couldn’t say one thing to Tess and think something opposite about her. No matter what kind of mistakes Tess had done previously, this time everything was different. They both were different.

“That’s okay, Tess,” Liz assured her, “Like I said, I’m just tired, that’s all,” she said with a sad, yet small smile.

“Well, there is something more that we need to discuss,” Tess said and Liz held her breath.

“I think we need to stop our phone-calls, Max is already getting suspicious,” Tess explained, “Especially now....” she said and looked down. Liz wasn’t sure if she was looking at her engagement ring or on the floor, “Max said that we are going to live together,” Tess finally blurted out and watched as Liz’s face paled even more.

“Although we aren’t married yet, Max thinks it’s unnecessary to live apart anymore. The wedding is in two months, so what’s point in searching for separate apartments?” Tess said and added, “Although we won’t be sleeping in the same room until the wedding.”

That didn’t make Liz feel better. In fact, it was the opposite; it reminded her once again, that she had lost him. No, that was wrong, because she’d never had him. He had never been hers and she had never been his. Then why was her heart still beating just for him?

“Oh...” Liz didn’t know what to say, “Are just you and ...Max moving out?”

“No,” Tess answered, “We all are moving. Michael, Alex, Isabel and Maria are coming too, but I really want to know exactly where we are going. When I was living with Nasedo, he at least told me where we were moving to, but now...” Tess paused, “I don’t even know why it bothers me so much...Maybe, I just don’t like to stay in dark for too long. But then again...Maybe sometimes it’s better to not to know the truth...”Tess sighed and Liz now could clearly see that now the blonde girl was fighting with tears.

Liz surprised even herself when she came to Tess and hugged the blonde girl. They didn’t deserve the life they were both living now. A man, who both girls loved, crushed their lives at the age of sixteen. Children, they were children, but they had to face the cruel world. Until now, Liz wasn’t sure how she had managed to survive. Memories had helped...Her hell and sanctuary.

Liz soothed the blonde girl until her sobs stopped. After some moments Tess wiped her eyes and forced a smile, “I’m so sorry, Liz. You didn’t need my breakdown at the moment, I’m sorry,” she repeated.

“Tess...”Liz started, but Tess cut her off.

“You know Liz, I better get going. Max is going to call me later at the hotel, so I need to be there. I don’t want him more suspicious than he is now,” she moved to the door and opened it to walk out.

“Tess!” Liz called in the last moment and Tess turned around to face her, “You can talk to me, Tess,” Liz said, “We can’t open up with other people, but I am here to listen you,” Liz said and briefly she herself wondered about her words. Did she really want to hear Tess’ problems and pain? Maybe she herself wanted to find a person to spill her heart out to? Was she really that lonely?

“Oh...”Tess was clearly surprised, “Thanks, Liz, I really appreciate it,” she said with a bright smile and walked out.

Liz leaned against the door and wondered...Why they were moving? Why?
Last edited by Erina on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Chapter 2

Liz ran from the bathroom to her bedroom and then back again. She had overslept terribly and was late. Although her boss had insisted that she should take a couple of days off, Liz didn’t want to. She didn’t like to have free time. Then she had a time to think about...everything: her life, Roswell, memories and especially about Max.

But who she was kidding? No matter what, Liz thought about him every day, every hour, every moment in her life. Everything around her reminded her of Max. Liz wondered how she had been able to stay sane with those memories.

Last night was especially hard. After Tess’ visit, Liz had fallen asleep only at 5 pm, and she had to wake up an hour later to be in time for her work. But her dreams were filled with Max and Tess together, happily together.

Liz looked in the mirror for a moment and gasped. Her eyes were red and face was so pale. She also felt extremely tired, but not just from the work. She was tired that whole world was on her shoulders. She didn’t want it! Liz was sick and tired that she had to give up. Why? Why did Tess have Max? Why she was going to be alone all her life?

Tears started to fall once again and Liz sighed. She decided to not to go to work and try to sleep. She could only pray that Max and Tess wouldn’t be in her dreams, together. She climbed in her bed and as soon as her head hit the pillow, she fell asleep.

Max was panting as he ran past Crashdown. He liked to wake up early to run. Fresh, still a little bit cool, air usually helped him to clear his thoughts. But not today.

Today his life would change considerably. Not so long ago, he had proposed to his girlfriend of almost eight years. Eight years. He had been dating Tess for almost eight years and now everyone, including his family and friends, waited for them to finally be married.

He loved Tess; at least he thought so. She had come to Roswell, when he was in his Junior year. In a town like Roswell, you don’t see many new people, so when a blonde girl with blue eyes had joined Roswell high school almost every male had asked her out.

Tess turned them all down.

Max had thought that she was nice and good-looking, but he hadn’t tried anything, because of who he was. Max, along with his sister Isabel and friend Michael, was an alien. He didn’t want to be attached.

But things had changed. When Tess had simply come to them and announced that she was his wife from previous alien life, everybody had thought that was some joke. To prove it, Tess had given the orbs and they all had listened the message.

Max was shocked of course. You didn’t find out every day, that you were a king of another planet and that the girl, whom every male in high school wanted to date, was his wife. His Queen.

Isabel had taken it all a little bit harder. Max had understood her. He, Michael and Isabel had thought that they were brothers and sister. Isabel freaked when she had found that Michael was her husband...Even if it was in previous life. She had refused to see Michael for a month. After that month, things slowly became normal, but there was still some distance between Isabel and Michael.

Just when Isabel had started to date Alex and Maria had become Michael’s girlfriend, they once again became best friends.

When they were in the middle of their junior year, Max, with all his courage, had asked Tess out. He liked her; he admitted that. Tess was great – she was beautiful, smart and Max liked to spend his time with her.

They had dated through their school years and even in college. In the end Max simply grew to love her. It was easy to love her. Tess was always by his side, supporting him. She was an alien, just like him...They were meant to be together. And finally, Max accepted his destiny – to be with Tess. What else he could do? He was happy and content with his hybrid life.

Sometimes he envied Michael and Isabel’s relationships with humans. Max didn’t feel the kind of love he saw in Isabel’s eyes when Alex made some joke, or in Michael’s face when Maria was singing. He didn’t see that love in Tess eyes either, when she was looking at him.

But they were good together. They could tell each other everything – there were no secrets between them.

They had created a little group, along with Maria and Alex. One summer, when they were still in high school, they had gone camping. Maria had fallen and sprained her ankle. The girl was in terrible pain and they were too far from any hospital.

Max healed her and the humans had found out their secret.

The aliens were surprised that Alex and Maria had calmly listened to their explanation and after a couple of questions about their origins, Maria had changed the subject and things between all them changed, but not in a bad way.

They were always six: Max, Tess, Michael, Maria, Alex and Isabel. They were best friends and family at the same time.

Then why he did he feel so...empty?

His life was normal, as normal it could be, and he should be happy. Max had a family, friends, good education, a great job and finally...a beautiful and caring girlfriend, who would soon be his wife. Then why he sometimes felt so lonely?

Max stopped and looked at the Crashdown. He would miss this place. Crashdown was his favourite place in Roswell. That was just only because her.

Liz.

She was the first thing Max saw, when he stepped out of the bus in the third grade. He thought she was beautiful. Perfect.

Max was shy, so he never had made attempt to approach her. She was a human and he was an alien. They were different species, what kind of future they could have?

In the end Max acquiesced with the fact that he could only watch her from afar. He had eaten so many times at Crashdown and stolen so many glances at her that she had become something he couldn’t live without. The days when he hadn’t seen her were probably the worst of his life.

When Liz had suddenly moved to Florida in the summer of 1999, Max’s whole world was crushed. He didn’t eat or drink anything for a week and even after that he stayed in his room most of the time. When school had started Max hadn’t had any other choice but to get up and face the world.

In the end, he thought it was probably the best Liz could have done. Max knew that he wouldn’t be able to stay away from her and he didn’t want to pull her into his world – full of fear and vagueness. Max wanted her to be happy and Liz wouldn’t be happy with him.

What kind of life he could give her? They didn’t know anything about their enemies, but after the message in the cave, the group knew they had them. And what about family? He probably couldn’t give her that either.

He wasn’t good enough for her.

Once again, he envied both Michael and Isabel. They both had stepped over their fears and insecurities about themselves. Something Max couldn’t do, but it didn’t matter now, he was together with Tess. He loved her.

Then why he was still keeping Liz’s picture? Why did the picture, which he had secretly stolen from Maria, give him more joy and happiness than Tess?

Max tried to shake these feelings out of his head and hopefully out of his heart, too, although he knew it was hopeless. But he had a girlfriend and he had proposed to her. They were going to be married for the rest of their lives.

Maybe he was pushing himself into something he didn’t even want, but...his father had decided to open a new office outside Roswell. Now Max and Michael, along with the rest of group, were moving to their new living place.

Max loved Roswell; Liz had lived here. However, he felt like he needed to leave this place, where everything reminded him of her. He had thought that, with time, his feelings would disappear, but the opposite happened: with every passing day, Max found it more and more difficult to live, to breathe.

Eventually, Max decided to move out of Roswell. He couldn’t marry Tess here, nor could he live in Roswell as a married couple with her.

Max didn’t know anything about Liz; she maybe was already married with a child. He didn’t know what college she had gone to or what job she was doing.

Nothing.

Liz’s closest friends had been Maria and Alex, but during last years, they had lost connection completely and when Liz’s parents moved to Florida a couple of years before, he had lost the only information source about Liz.

There simply was no way he could meet Liz now. They were lost to each other.

Max looked once more at the Crashdown and started to run back to his apartment. They needed to do alot today. Their all things were already packed and sent to their new apartments. Today they had simply drive to their new homes.

Hopefully, Max would find a peace there, but again...He doubted that, but maybe there was some hope?

Liz smiled as she opened her eyes. She had slept so well, that Liz couldn’t remember the last time she was felt so good.

Liz didn’t remember what exactly she was dreaming about, but the dream apparently was a great one, because she simply couldn’t hide the smile.

Liz looked outside and when she saw that that it wasn’t raining, the young girl decided to go out. She had spent most of her free time working overtime or watching TV, but today she wanted out. The day was too beautiful not to enjoy it.

She took a shower, dressed and left her apartment. Eventually she decided to go to the nearest park. She loved to hear children laughing. Something she would never enjoy herself.

Liz took a seat on the bench near a small waterfall. Although it was Thursday, the park was full. She picked up a ball, which had rolled to her and gave it back to the little boy who came to her. For a moment, Liz allowed her thoughts to drift to another little brown-haired and brown-eyed little boy, who didn’t even exist in this reality, but she soon shook those thoughts away.

‘Not today,’ Liz thought. She didn’t want to think about it today. In the end, she would probably cry her eyes out and Liz didn’t want it anymore.

Maybe she really should move on.

“Excuse me, is this seat free?” a young man asked Liz.

Liz looked at him. He was probably in his late twenties and he looked very nice, she thought.

“Yeah,” Liz said and watched as he sat down beside her.

“My name is Adam,” the man said with a smile.

“I’m Liz,” she replied. He had a beautiful smile, she thought.

For some minutes, they simply enjoyed the comfortable silence between them. Liz saw that he kept stealing glances at her and couldn’t help, but blush. ‘Oh God,’ Liz thought, ‘we are acting like teenagers,’ that thought made her smile even more. She liked his presence.

She noticed, that when Adam wasn’t looking at her, he was observing the kids with a smile that made Liz heart warm. Something she hadn’t felt a long time.

“You love kids, don’t you?” Liz asked.

“Yeah, I can’t not love them,” he said and looked at her, “My whole life is about them. I am a paediatrician,” Adam said as his eyes returned to the kids once again, “What about you?” he asked her.

“Well, I’m working in a research group at Harvard,” she said.

“Wow...You must be really smart,” Adam chuckled.

“Yeah, I dunno actually. There is still much more that I don’t know,” Liz said, “But I love my job, I can’t imagine myself doing something else,” her face lit up as she was talking about her job.

She and Adam stayed in the park for hours and talked about everything. Liz found it so easy to talk with him; she couldn’t remember when was the last time she had so much fun.

When Adam’s pager had started to beep, he made her to promise that they would meet on Saturday once again. Liz had said yes, without thinking. She liked Adam. Alot. Maybe he would be able to heal her broken heart?

As Liz returned to her apartment later that afternoon, she noticed that the door to the apartment next to her was wide open. When Liz walked past, she saw many, many boxes. Hazily she remembered that one of her neighbours had mentioned that some new people were moving here.

Liz shrugged and went on.
Last edited by Erina on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Chapter 3

“Come on, Max,” Tess whined, “let’s go to the movie.” She walked after Max as he went inside his room once again.

“Tess,” Max said sternly, “I know you want to see this movie, but we have just a couple of days to unpack everything, before we both are going to start work,” Max explained.

“I know, but...I really want to see this one, besides we still have three days, Max. We just moved here, I need to see the surroundings,” she pouted, “Come on, Max, please....” Tess whined once again.

Max looked at her and finally gave in, “Ok, Tess, but after the movie we are coming straight home and going to sleep; that way we will able to wake up early tomorrow and continue, okay?”

“Yes!” Tess practically jumped, “Now, go to the shower and make yourself ready, so we won’t be late for the movie,” she instructed him and pushed him to go.

“Okay, okay,” Max grumbled, “Since when you are so jumpy and…aggressive?” he asked more to himself as he went into the bathroom.

The truth was Max didn’t want to leave this apartment. They had moved here just a few hours before, but he could already feel something in his heart. Calm, he felt calm. This place made him peaceful. Why did Tess want to leave so soon to see some movie?

While Max was busy trying to understand his girlfriend, Tess quietly dashed out of their apartment to the one next door.

Immediately she started to push the doorbell and knock furiously like her life depended on it, “Come on, Liz, open up, come on...” she urged.

“Damn,” she cursed, when no one opened the door. Although, it was only 5 pm and Liz was probably at work, Tess couldn’t help but hope that maybe she was home by some miracle.

Never in her wildest dreams, had Tess thought that they would move into the apartment next to Liz’s! They could have lived anywhere, but no....Max had to pick up exactly this one!

Immediately Tess started to wonder. Was it possible that Max knew something about Liz? Was that the main reason to his sudden desire to move somewhere else?

Eventually Tess went back. She approached the window, hoping that maybe she could see Liz coming home and almost jumped when Max spoke from behind her, “Where were you, Tess?” he asked with a smirk as Tess shrieked.

“Max!” Tess cried, “Never do that again,” she scolded, “You scared me!”

Max’s smirk immediately left his face, “I’m sorry, Tess, I promise I won’t do that again,” Max swore as he came to Tess and hugged her. He felt as she relaxed in his arms and asked her once more, “So are we still going to the movie?”

Tess sighed, thank god he had forgotten his previous question, “Well, you know, maybe we should stay at home,” she stated, “I’m feeling tired and so are you, so it will be better if we just go the bed early, okay?” Tess asked with a bright smile.

“Oh...okay,” Max was confused about her actions. What was wrong with her lately? While this place was calming him down, Tess had the opposite effect – she seemed more anxious and jumpy, “Well, then goodnight Tess,” Max said and bent down a little to kiss her.

As Max kissed Tess, he was confused about his feelings. He had thought that maybe this place would help him to forget Liz, but it was quite opposite; Max was now seeing Liz instead of Tess, something that had never happened to him.

He quickly pulled away, “Goodnight,” Max said and went inside his room. As he closed the room, Max leaned against it and tried to calm his breathing and furiously beating heart, ‘this is not good, this is seriously not good,’ he thought.

As Max lied down to the bed later that night and closed his tired eyes, his last thought was about Liz. Maybe he had done a mistake when had proposed to Tess?

Liz sang as she was putting groceries on the table. When she had come home from the walk in the park, Liz had stated that she seriously needed to go buy some food. Lately she wasn’t even eating well, but today...Today she was somehow calm and content. Something had changed, but Liz wasn’t sure what exactly. For the first time in the last years, she felt hope.

Later that night, Liz tossed in her bed. Her memories had come back with full force. Pleasant moments were mixed with the not so good ones.

Her boyfriend, her Max walked towards her and got down on one knee. Immediately Liz gasped as soon as he revealed the diamond in his hand, “Oh my g...” she couldn’t even find her own voice.

Liz felt different emotions as she tried to not cry, when Max said, “Liz…they're taking our home from us. They want to kill us… and…they might. But when I look in your eyes, I- I don't feel angry... or... deprived…I feel like the luckiest half-human on the planet. You're pure… you're…you're true…and…you're real. And right now, that seems like the only thing that's important. ...I want to be with you Liz... forever.”

“Forever may only be twelve days...” Liz whispered quietly.

“Then we'll take those twelve days...” Max told her and placed the diamond in Liz’s hand, “and we'll live twelve life times.”

Still looking directly in her eyes, where Liz could see only his love, Max said,
“Liz Parker... will you marry me?”

Not removing her eyes from his, Liz knelt down and smiled, whispering the one word she so wanted to tell, “Yes.”

~~~~~

Liz knocked on Max’s window and looked as he came to her. Shirtless.

Liz gulped.

“Well, this is a surprise,” Max said with a small, yet warm smile.

But Liz immediately cut his hopes, “It isn't what you think,” she said and refused to take his hand, when Max offered his help, “No, I can do it,” Liz climbed in.

Once again, Liz savoured the look of his naked chest. No, she needed a clear head, if ever wanted to do this, “Can you...um, put a shirt on, please?”

As Max put on his shirt, Liz again and again reminded herself that she had to do it. She hadn’t any choice anymore.

“Thank you,” Liz said as Max turned to her, now dressed.

“Liz...” she heard his desperate whisper, that once again broke her heart.

“Don't say anything, ok? Um, because I-I came in here with this whole speech, and once you start talking, my speech doesn't apply, and everything gets changed, and I just want to make sure that I say everything to you, so just don't say anything. Just don't say anything. Ok, I-I just re-read "Romeo and Juliet", and you know, the first thing that I realized is that isn't even the title. It's called "The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet". They die. You know, she's this young girl, she...she's younger than me, and she dies. Look, I think the reason why people think that it's such a romantic play is they don't know what it's like to be put in that position...but when your life and…and other people's lives are…are put at risk, there isn't anything romantic about it. Max, you can't stop what's happening to you. I mean, your life will always be dangerous, but my life, it doesn't have to be. My life is only in danger if I am with you. I-I want to be in love with boys...normal boys. I-I want to see my 21st birthday. I-I want to have a wedding day. I-I-I want to have children...and I want my children to be safe. You know, Max, if...if you truly love me, you'll let me go. I may love you, but I-I don't want to die for you,” as Liz was talking she could see as his heart broke because of her. His eyes told everything. Liz had hurt him, but at the same time, she had hurt herself too.

~~~~~

“Liz, LIZ! You have to look at me. You have to look at me,” Liz faintly heard Max’s desperate plea.

Liz tried to open her eyes, but it was so hard, she was so tired. When she finally gathered all her strength, Liz opened weakly her eyes only to look into another pair of beautiful hazel eyes.

Max.

Liz felt his hand on her stomach, but all seemed so...so unreal. For a moment, she was feeling safe and… loved. But as soon as it started, the warm and pleasant sensation ended.

When Max took his hand awat from her stomach, Liz felt...different. Something inside had changed. Permanently.

She didn’t hear the Crashdown’s noise, due to the shooting. She didn’t hear Maria’s babbling, people’s voices, or cars outside. In her ears she heard as Max repeated over and over again, “You're all right now. You're all right,” he retreated from her, but still looked in her eyes.

Connection.

~~~~~

Her mind travelled even further, to the summer, when her life changed completely.

Liz had just come home from her date with Kyle. He was nice, steady and loyal. Every girl in Roswell high school wanted him as a boyfriend, but he had picked her. Kyle liked her and Liz was flattered.

Her life was good. Liz didn’t feel like she would burst because of happiness, but she was content with her life. Liz had great parents, friends and a boyfriend. What else she could want?

As Liz had laid down on her bed, something flashed outside from her window. When Liz opened her mouth to scream, someone came in her room and Liz gasped.

Moonlight illuminated none other than Max Evans.

At least she thought so.

In a blink of eye, she saw him together with Tess, kissing and saying ‘I love you’ to each other. Her ‘dream’ Max turned to Liz and told her, “I never loved you, anyway,” he said and returned to Tess’ lips.

Liz screamed in her dream and woke up. Her heart was beating furiously in her chest and she was sweating and shaking.

What the hell was that?

Max heard someone’s scream, but he wasn’t sure if it was real. It was 3 am, maybe he had dreamt it...Max rubbed his sleepy eyes and went to the kitchen.

As he was pouring the milk in the glass, Max saw Tess coming to him.

“Hey,” he said and kissed her lips briefly, “why aren’t you sleeping?” he asked, “Did you hear the scream, too?” Max asked.

“What?” Tess looked surprised, „”What are you talking about? I didn’t hear anything, it was probably your imagination,” she convinced him eagerly.

Max didn’t object.

When they both had gone to bed once more, Max couldn’t shake the strange feeling that someone needed him. Once again, he saw Liz Parker before his eyes and Max groaned.

This was going to be a lot harder than he had imagined.
Last edited by Erina on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Chapter 4

Liz sighed and rubbed her tired eyes. After her dream, she couldn’t fall back to sleep. Maybe she didn’t even want to. After that kind of dream, Liz feared to be asleep, but she knew that her demons needed to be faced. But what could she do to prevent her dreams about Max?

So, she went to work. Liz could now work those hours she hadn’t the day before.

She had her memories, but that was different. Although the good ones were mixed with some bad, Liz knew the whole truth, but the dream...She had seen her greatest fear: the fact that Max truly loved Tess. Not just because she was his destiny, but because he wanted too.

She had left Roswell and Liz still found that it was the best thing she had done in her life.

When I left you, I flew
Did you fly too?
And nakedness befell my way
Only seen in light of day

She might be alone now, but Alex was alive and happily together with Isabel. Baby Zan hadn’t been born and given up for adoption. Grant, agent Topolsky, Hubble and many others were still alive...Somewhere, but they were still alive.

But she longed for Max. Her boyfriend. Her lover. Her husband. Father of her child, their child. Zan wasn’t born, but neither was little Alex too. She didn’t have her family.

I only want what I can't have
I only need what I don't want

Why he had come to her that summer? Why her? Why? Before that, she had lived a good life, but he had simply arrived and told her that Max, Isabel and Michael were aliens. At first, she’d thought he was crazy and then that she was crazy, but all she had to do was look at him to know that he was telling the truth.

And creativity, it haunts my soul
I asked not to be alone
You don't have to ask me for my hand
I already know where I stand

Max Evans was something Liz could never have. Never.

He had told her that being together with Max would cause so many horrible things. The world was cruel, but at that moment, Liz had thought that the world was against only her.

And consequences in the future
And feel it as now
I now I can't feel the future
But I can be there for you now

Tess didn’t love Max as much as Liz did. They all were in this triangle – Liz, Tess and Max. Liz loved him, but she didn’t know anything about Max’s feelings. That was something she refused to know when her meetings and phone calls with Tess began. Liz feared to hear that Max truly loved Tess, not her. Although...Liz knew he loved Tess. You wouldn’t propose to person, if you didn’t have feelings...Right?

"Craving (I Only Want What I Can't Have)" by t.a.t.u.

“Max,” Tess said as she approached, “We don’t have anything to eat here. Could you be so sweet and run to the shop?” she asked sweetly.

“Are you sure?” Max asked surprised. He could remember quiet well, that yesterday their fridge was full.

“Yeah, I wanted to cook the breakfast, but well...You know I am not good at it, so in the end many products were used, but…no breakfast,” she explained and started to push him towards the door, “Now go! The sooner you get back the sooner we can start unpacking once again,” Tess said and pushed the list in his arms, “Here, I made a list of what we need.”

Max stood there, a little taken aback. The list was huge! Some things on the list he didn’t even know....”Tess, do we really need all that stuff?” he asked lightly annoyed.

“Yes!” Tess sternly said, “Max we just moved to another place, we need many things. It’s not like I’m sending you to pick up the curtains,” Tess said with a smirk, “Come on, Max. All you have to do is to find and buy these things,” she whined and once again tried to push him out.

“Hey, hey,” Max laughed as he stopped her, “If I didn’t know better, I would think that you are trying to get rid of your next husband,” he said, “Really, Tess, do we need a hammer? I mean, we are still aliens, it’s not like we need some of this stuff. All we need is to wave our hands and....”

“Max,” Tess all but shrieked, “I can’t believe that you are saying that! You are always the first that is saying that we can’t use our powers much! Shame, Max, shame!” she shook her head.

Max knew Tess was right. But he didn’t get much sleep last night and now, when he would rather be sleeping or unpacking, he had to run to different stores to buy some very incredible things, which he knew they wouldn’t use. Yeah, of course, he didn’t mind going to a grocery shop, but did he really need to go to a hardware shop? Max didn’t even know where to find one here in Boston. It would take him hours to find and buy everything that was on the Tess’ list.

“Ok, ok,” Max finally conceded, “I am already going,” Max said as he went out of their apartment.

When Max was out of sight, Tess sighed in relief. Max was getting too much suspicious. She had to talk with Liz.

Tess slowly opened the door and peeked outside. When she didn’t see Max, Tess quickly went to the next door and did the same thing as yesterday. She started to pound the door once more, hoping that today was her lucky day and Liz would be at home. It was barely 8 am; she had to be home!

When Tess realized that Liz wasn’t home, again, an idea came to her. Tess smiled as she took something out of her pocket.

Phone!

Why hadn’t she thought about that earlier? Sure, she wouldn’t take the risk and phone Liz, while Max was with her, but now he was gone.

Quickly Tess dialled her phone number and held her breath, waiting for the brunette to pick up the phone. One ring, two rings, three, four, five, six...seven....

“Damn it!” Tess cried.

Where was Liz when she needed her the most? What was going she to do? Tess couldn’t let Liz meet Max, Tess was sure of it. It hadn’t slipped by unnoticed that Max often asked Maria about Liz or her parents. He had thought Tess didn’t notice, but she did.

Max had to stay away from Liz, or everything she and Liz had worked so many years, would be pointless.

Note! Tess could write a note and slip it in Liz’s apartment! Quickly she went back to their apartment and came back with a pen and paper. In no time, the note was ready and Tess slipped it inside.

Now all she had to do was wait.

She never saw Max watching her from around the corner.

Max stood there for a moment. Could that really be? Was Tess really doing the exact thing he thought? No, it couldn’t be, but...then what was she doing by that door?

Doubts started to fill his mind once again and Max went outside to his car. He needed to get away, to breathe, to think about it.

He drove to the nearest park. Max still wasn’t used to big city’s rush and countless cars. The best place at the moment was the park. He sat down on the bench and dialled a number on his cell phone.

“Hello,” a grumpy voice growled.

“Hey,” Max said in a whisper, “It’s me.”

“What’s wrong,” the person on the phone’s other side immediately asked in a worried tone.

“Michael,” Max said as he gathered all his strength to say what he was going to tell his best friend, “She is cheating on me,” he said and released the breath he had held.

For a moment, Max could hear only silence.

“She is what?” Michael shouted, surprising Max, “No way, Max,” he said, “This is Tess we are talking about. No, I refuse to believe that. You are just going crazy, Maxwell, that’s all. I guess this move to Boston was harder on you than we thought.”

“Michael, how then you are going to explain following?” Max said, “We just moved to another city, to city I believe she had never been, then she banished me from our apartment, only to rush over, knocking on the next door,” he said.

“Well, there has to be some explanation,” Michael assured him, “maybe she wanted to borrow, I don’t know, some ...salt, for example?” he explained.

“She sent me to buy it! By the way, she doesn’t know anyone in this building,” Max said, but then changed his mind, “at least, I thought so.”

“Max...” Michael started, but Max interrupted him.

“Besides, yesterday she had gone somewhere also, while I was in the shower. When I asked about it, she changed the subject and after that I kind of forgot about it...” he said and then added, “And it isn’t like she was simply knocking, Tess knows who lives in that apartment, I am sure of it. In the end, she slipped a note inside. Do you really think Tess needed salt?” Max was pissed.

He couldn’t believe that Tess was cheating on him. Never he would believe that she was capable of doing something like that, but he had seen it with his own eyes. In the end he realized, that maybe he didn’t know Tess as well as he had thought. She seemed a little too jumpy lately. Tess was hiding something from him Max knew that.

“Max, I don’t know what to say,” Michael said, “But...are you sure? Have you talked about it with her?” he asked.

“No,” Max replied, “but how I am going to talk with her about something like that? I can’t just walk in and ask if she is cheating on me!” he cried and hid his face in his hands.

“Talk to her,” Michael suggested, “I still believe that there just had to be some explanation. A good one,” he assured his best friend.

Max sighed; he would really have to talk to her. What other choice did he have?

“When are you coming to Boston?” he asked.

”The trial is almost over and Isabel has finally packed her things, so I think probably we will be there Monday,” Michael informed him, “Ok, Max, I have to go now. Go and…just talk to her!” he said and hung up.

Max sat there for a moment and observed the kids who were playing in the park. Not far away was a pond with fountains. The day was really incredible and Max loved children. He sometimes wondered if he and Tess would have children. Probably not, they didn’t know anything about that kind of pregnancies; besides, he wasn’t sure at the moment if they would be together anymore.

Surprisingly, that thought didn’t sound bad at all. He wasn’t in love with Tess like he was supposed to be and Tess didn’t love him either, he knew that even if she hadn’t cheated. Maybe it would be just easier to end this all? Then Tess finally could meet someone and fall in love, but he...What would he do?

Quickly Max tried to shake those thoughts out of his mind. He and Tess were still together, but here he was – wondering what he was going to do after his break-up with her. He had proposed to her. There was no going back. Even if there were a way back, where would he go? And to whom?

Liz, but he couldn’t find her.

So, was it better to stay with Tess without loving her as much as he loved Liz or be alone without Tess and without Liz?

But first, he needed to find out the truth about Tess....
Last edited by Erina on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Chapter 5

“Liz,” Max panted as he looked at the girl under him. Max couldn’t believe that here he was, with the girl of his dreams. She looked so beautiful, her face flushed and she, just like him, was panting. His body was pressed against hers. They were so close, so close, that if Max moved his lips a little more down, he would touch hers.

The moment was perfect.

Max leaned down.

A few hours earlier

Max decided to not to come home to Tess immediately after his phone call with Michael.

Home....

A home with Tess. It sounded so weird, so unreal and....fake. He knew that Tess didn’t love him, but then why she was with him? Because she was an alien? But Michael and Isabel were happily together with humans...Why Tess was with him?

If Tess was really cheating on him and didn’t love him, why did she torture herself? Why then, didn’t she find someone to love without conditions?

Max mind was wandering in thousand directions, but he still couldn’t understand her. What was happening in that blonde head of hers?

His phone started to ring and Max picked up.

"Hello,” he said.

“Max! Where are you?” he heard Tess’ worried voice, “It has been hours, Max, what has happened? Are you lost or something?” Tess kept talking, without even giving Max a chance to say anything.

“Tess!” Max snapped to get her attention, “Nothing’s wrong, I just got...busy, I guess,” Max said, not knowing what exactly to say.

“Oh...” Was all Tess said and Max wondered how could she be satisfied with his excuse, “Okay, then. When you will be home?” she asked.

Max wasn’t looking forward to this talk, although he knew that he was torturing only himself. The sooner he would find out the truth, the better it would be. But that was what his head told him; in his heart, he needed some time.

“Well, I guess I will be away for another hour or two,” he said.

“Okay, then,” Tess said in a cheery voice, “Remember I told you about my childhood friend Melissa?” Tess asked, but Max couldn’t remember, “The one who was living in Boston?” she asked once more.

“Well,” Tess continued without disappointment, “I just found her phone number and called her. I’m going to meet her in an hour, so I won’t be home for a while, Max,” she informed.

But Max was only partially listening to Tess. “Have fun, Tess,” was all he said and hung up.

She wasn’t concerned about where he was and Max was sure that deep in her heart, she didn’t even care about him that much. They were like a good friends living together, but with some awkward moments. Max didn’t feel guilty about not remembering about her so-called friend Melissa either.

But then a thought came in Max’s mind...

Maybe there wasn’t even a Melissa?

Well, he perhaps wasn’t listening every time Tess talked, but since she hadn’t many friends, especially in her childhood, he would have remembered this one.

But he didn’t.

Maybe, just maybe, that was some sort of excuse to meet someone, Tess truly wanted to meet?

Max started to walk faster and faster towards their apartment. Somewhere deep inside in his mind, he knew that what he was going to do was wrong, but couldn’t help that. He needed to know the truth.

His only aim was to see if Tess would go to the apartment next door.

That’s all.

He started to run.

Liz sighed as she went through the park. She felt...different today here, in the park. She was feeling Max, like he was next to her. A couple of times, Liz even looked around to see him, because the feeling was that strong, but she didn’t see him and her misery returned.

She couldn’t live like that for the rest of her life; it was nothing new.

Liz once more looked around and smiled when she saw the man behind her.

“Hey,” she said with a bright smile. Liz enjoyed their talk yesterday very much.

“Hi, Liz,” Adam replied, “Well, I guess it’s fate,” he joked, “two days in a row, that must mean something,” he laughed, referring to their meeting yesterday.

“Well, yeah, I guess...” Liz said, she didn’t enjoy talks about destiny or fate.

After that, there was an awkward silence between them, until Adam suggested they sit down on a nearby bench. They sat down, but neither of them said anything. This time it was a comfortable silence, they both simply enjoyed the warm June sun. Liz thoughts started to wander once more, when she felt something deep in her heart.

Her heart started to beat faster as she saw a man running in the park. He was too far from her, moving too fast, but Liz stopped breathing for a moment, and her eyes were fixed on him. Soon he vanished and Liz couldn’t see him anymore.

But her heart was still beating furiously.

“Have you ever been in love?” she asked suddenly.

Adam briefly looked at her before answering, “Once,” he said quietly.

Liz saw the hurt in his eyes, so she decided against questions. She knew everything about lost love and broken hearts.

But after some minutes Adam started to speak, “I really loved her, you know...” he smiled at the sight of children, “but I guess we were too different.”

“When I introduced her to my parents, my mother almost fainted,” Adam smiled at the memory. “For most of my life I had been a perfect son, I had never worried my parents. I got great grades in high school, dated a little and then started to study to become a doctor. By that point, I was content with myself and my life, because I was loving my job, but ...Athena was different. Her hair was pink or green or blue…and she had all these piercings.” Adam was lost in memories for a couple of minutes and Liz patiently waited. She understood this urge to open up, to tell her own story to someone. But could she tell her story to Adam?

“She was sweet and caring. Just like me, Athena loved children and she wanted to become a nurse. Everything was great for a couple of months. She moved in with me and I had even proposed to her; those months were the best in my life,” he said and paused for a moment, still monitoring the children, “But one day I came home and she...simply wasn’t there. All her stuff, everything was gone, like she had never lived there. All I got was a creased note. Apparently, I didn’t know her enough, because Athena wrote that she didn’t love me enough to marry me. And she just realised that two weeks before the wedding,” Adam said, now fighting with his tears.

“Oh, Adam,” was all Liz said, before pulling him in her arms.

They stayed there like that for a while, but then Adam’s pager started to beep again and just then Liz remembered why she was walking through the park.

She had forgotten some papers at her apartment and now she had little time before her dinner break would be over.

Adam and Liz quickly said good-bye to each other, with an arrangement to meet tomorrow, and they both went in opposite directions.

Liz walked faster and faster. She knew the shortest way to her apartment building, so she decided to go that way.

She ran up to the stairs and didn’t saw the person coming out of elevator. She bumped into him and the force of it sent her backwards. The person tried to steady her, but that didn’t prevent the fall. In the end, she was lying on the floor with the man on top.

Liz’s head was spinning and she felt disoriented.

She looked at the man and her heart froze.

“Liz,” she heard his whisper. They were so close. Liz couldn’t believe her own eyes. She had tried so much to avoid Max Evans in the last years and here she was – lying under him. How was that possible? Tess would tell her if Max was coming to Boston, right?

She saw as he looked at her lips and then slowly started to lean down. She could feel his breath on her lips; they were so close. Liz leaned up a little bit to meet his lips. Slowly, but definitely their lips were coming closer and closer until she could feel his lips on hers.

“MAX!” the female’s voice shrieked and they both turned their heads to the source.

Their eyes widened as they saw the blonde woman standing just besides them with an angry look on her face.

‘Shit,’ Liz thought.
Last edited by Erina on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Chapter 6

“Isabel!” Max called as he stood up and helped Liz to her feet, “What are you doing here?” he asked surprised. Michael hadn’t mentioned that Isabel was coming to Boston and he was talking with him just a few hours ago!

“What you mean, what I am doing here, Max?” she cried, still in shock at seeing her brother with another woman, “I’m your sister, in case you have forgotten,” she snapped, “and let me remind you, that I came to visit not just you, but your future wife as well,” Isabel pointed, her eyes lingering on Liz.

Liz could see that Isabel was angry and she didn’t make any attempt to hide that. She knew that Isabel and Tess were a good friends and Isabel had every right to be angry.

“I guess I made a good surprise, huh?” Isabel said sarcastically, “but you, my dear brother...” Isabel was fuming with the anger.

But not only Isabel was mad, Max wasn’t quiet pleased as well.

“Wait a minute, Isabel,” Max said, “what the hell is your problem?” he snapped. Isabel frowned and Max stilled. They had both had their misunderstandings through the years, but Max had never snapped at her that harshly. On the other hand, Isabel hadn’t lectured him that way either, but Max couldn’t bear this situation anymore; he was an adult and it’s not like he was doing something wrong. At least that was what he told himself.

In his heart, Max felt like he had cheated on Tess. Their lips barely touched, but Max had never felt like that. He was in love with Liz Parker, not Tess Harding. Maybe now was the time to face the truth and finally make himself happy?

“Max,” Isabel said in a stern voice, “I think it would better if we continue our...conversation in your apartment,” she said and without Max’s answer went to his apartment, opened the door with her powers and walked inside.

Liz gulped. Never had she seen Isabel that angry.

Or maybe she had....

“Would you just think about it for a minute? If there is anything any of us should have learned over the last year and a half, it's that nothing is ever what it seems,” Liz tried to persuade her friends. Liz knew all the facts and had made conclusions. She knew it wasn’t going to be pretty, but she hadn’t other choice.

She had to tell them.

Isabel apparently didn’t agree with her as she stood up, anger evident in her voice and body language, “What is that?” she yelled, „That's not evidence! That's not proof we had anything to do with this!”

Tess stood up as well and tried to calm down them, “Keep your voices down, for God's sake!” she whispered furiously.

But the both girls ignored her.

“You cannot deny the fact that a key member of this conspiracy just died under very suspicious circumstances,” Liz told Isabel.

Liz could feel Isabel’s anger. They never had been friends, but this time...Nothing would be able to conciliate them after this fight.

Before Isabel had a chance to say something, Kyle stood up, “I'm with Liz. There's somethin' not right about this,” he said, coming closer to her.

“It was a traffic accident. There's nothing otherworldly about that,” Max promptly said back to Kyle, his own rage coming out.

Surprisingly, Michael asked, as calmly as possible, “What possible reason would an alien have to kill Alex?”

“Isabel, for one. We know that there's an alien named Kivar who wants to bring Isabel back to your world,” Liz shot back at Isabel.

Isabel started to shake her head, “No!” she said.

Liz continued, “If Kivar discovered that you and Alex were...” but she didn’t have a chance to tell the rest.

“No! No!” Isabel yelled in Liz’s face, “You're just making this up!” she shouted.

Max interfered, “You don't know what the hell you're talking about!” he shouted and Liz inwardly winced, “You don't know anything about Kivar, or our world,” he said, looking in her eyes and Liz’s heart broke once again.

Liz had helped them to find the orb; she had been kidnapped by an alien freak; she had helped to save Max. She was the only human in the cave when they heard their mother’s message. Future Max came to her and told her things that not even Max, or anyone else knew.

She had been inside all this from the moment Max had saved her and now he was saying, that she didn’t know anything?

Liz felt her own anger build inside her, “You don't want to think that Alex was killed by an alien because that would mean you are responsible,” she shouted and watched as Max’s face changed.

He was sad and hurt. And what Liz knew for sure – they had crossed the line. Both of them.

“Liz,” he heard Max’s voice and she snapped out of her memory, “It was...nice to meet you again,” he said as he buried his hands in his jeans’ pockets.

“Yeah, I’m glad too,” said Liz truthfully, although she knew she shouldn’t be glad about meeting him. Liz had tried to avoid him for years and now...Liz loved him, would she be able to turn and run away...again? He was marrying Tess, not her.

“Well...” Max started to speak, “I was wondering...if we can talk...sometime?” he asked hopefully.

“Max,” Liz’s heart yelled to tell yes, but her mind had other ideas, “I – I don’t think it would be a good idea...We don’t know each other, what would we talk about?” she asked.

Max smiled warmly, “Believe me, I will find something,” he said. “We knew each other before. Maybe not much, but we still knew each other,” he persuaded her, “You left Roswell so quickly and unexpectedly, I just want to know what has happened with my favourite waitress,” he grinned shyly.

Liz couldn’t resist him, one of the reasons she left, “Well,” she thought about it, although she already knew the answer, no matter how wrong it was, “Yeah, Max, I would love to meet with you sometime,” she said.

“Great!” Max said a little too loudly, “What are you doing tomorrow?” he asked immediately.

Liz gaped. She didn’t remember Max being this bold. This whole...meeting and talk thing was wrong, but then why didn’t it feel like that?

“I would love to...” Liz started, “but I can’t,” she said sadly, “I have a...meeting already,” Liz was glad that she remembered about Adam, even at the last moment.

She saw sadness and disappointment in Max’s eyes, “Okay then, what are you doing on Sunday?” Max didn’t cave in.

Liz immediately answered, “Nothing, I’m free,” she smiled, already looking forward for their meeting.

“That’s great!” Max smiled brightly, “Can I pick you up at 11 am?” he asked.

“Yeah, sure. Where we are going?” Liz asked curiously.

“It’s a surprise,” Max said and Liz’s word crashed down. He had said the same thing to Tess, his future wife.

Before Liz could change anything, Max asked, “Well, I guess I will need to know where you live,” he said.

Liz pointed to the door, right next to his, “Right here,” she said and noticed that Max’s eyes were wide and he looked kind of surprised.

“What?” she asked.

“I guess we are neighbours then,” he said pointing to the next door, “I live there,” he said.

“Oh,” was all Liz could say.

Max was living next door to her?

For a moment, they simply stood there, looking at the doors. They had been so close, without even realizing it?

Suddenly Liz remembered something, “I have to go, Max, I just came home to pick up some papers,” she said and quickly went to the door to unlock it, “See you on Sunday,” was all she said, before shutting the door.

Liz leaned against it and doubts start to fill her mind.

What had she done?

Why she had agreed to meet him? She was ruining everything she had built in the last years.

Maybe it would be better if she moved again? Away from him...

No, she couldn’t do that again. Liz had to face him and…Tess. She needed to move on with her life and maybe seeing that Max had done that, would give her the strength?

Liz noticed the note on the floor and picked it up.

Hey, call me ASAP. Max and I are living in the next apartment. Be careful. Tess.

Max was in awe as he walked back to his apartment. He had met Liz Parker and he would see her again on Sunday! Life was perfect.

His smile vanished when he saw his sister standing in his living room, still furious.

“Max!” she said, her voice full of anger, “Finally you are here! Can you answer me, what the hell you were thinking by kissing Liz Parker?” she shouted.

As Max opened to say some not-so-nice words to his sister, they both heard a shocked voice from the doorstep, “Isabel?!”

Max closed his eyes and prayed, that she hadn’t heard Isabel’s previous remark. Slowly he turned to face his girlfriend.

“Hi, sweetheart, did you have a good time?” he asked.
Last edited by Erina on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Chapter 7

Tess frowned for a moment; Max had never called her sweetheart. Not even honey, or baby or something like that. He was always so distant in their relationship. No emotions. Nothing. At first, she had thought that Max was extremely shy or he was waiting for the wedding. But deep in her heart, Tess knew that all was a lie; Max didn’t love her.

He had acted so differently with Liz. Max didn’t even blink in that fateful day at Crashdown, before running to Liz to heal her. It didn’t matter that the cafe was full of people, Max didn’t even care that he was exposing his sister and best friend.

Liz Parker was always Max Evans' number one, Tess didn’t doubt about that.

Then what had changed? Why had Max so suddenly called her sweetheart? Had she finally broken through his ‘Liz Parker’ wall?

Did Max love her?

Tess inwardly laughed at herself when she looked at Max and she knew that he didn’t love her. He was hiding something, she was sure of that. She had been with him for years, sure Tess knew him. His eyes betrayed him; Max looked happy and guilty at the same time. Wait…Happy? Why was he happy?

Had he met Liz, Tess wondered. No, that would be cruel, she had done everything to meet and warn Liz, but nothing. And Max...He couldn’t just walk out of their apartment and meet Liz, right?

“Yeah,” Tess said, still unsure what exactly she had interrupted. They had been fighting about something, but what? And why was Isabel here? She wasn’t supposed to be here until Monday, “Thanks, honey, I had a great time,” she said and noticed how Max visibly frowned at her use of the word ‘honey’. Yep, Max was certainly hiding something.

“Isabel,” Tess said, trying to change the subject. She would worry about Max later, “What are you doing here?” she smiled sweetly and hugged her best friend, “We weren’t expecting you until Monday. Where are the others?” she asked.

“I am the only one here,” Isabel said, “I finished packing yesterday and wanted to surprise you and my brother,” she explained, without looking at Max. “The others will be here on Monday, as planned.”

They spent the next hour catching up. They had been apart only for a couple of days, but Isabel still found something to talk about, although Tess could see that she was more or less ignoring Max.

When Isabel finally left to go to her own apartment, one floor above, Tess turned to Max, “So, what about did you fight with your sister?” she asked him.

“Nothing,” Max quickly denied. Too quickly, he knew it. “It’s just...my own sister didn’t inform me that she was coming,” he said, hoping that would be enough.

“And?” Tess raised an eyebrow. Did he really think that was enough?

“And?” Max asked again in surprise. “And…I wanted to pick her up from the airport,” he explained.

“Max,” Tess said annoyed. “We will soon be married, but you can’t even reveal what you were fighting about with your own sister,” she exclaimed and then added softly, “How are we going to marry if you don’t trust me?” she asked, but Max’s reply shocked her.

“Then maybe it would be better if we cancel the wedding?” he asked unsurely, yet firmly at the same time.

Tess literally gaped at Max. Did he really say that? She had planned on making him feel guilty about not telling her, but this...wasn’t something she had expected.

She wouldn’t let Liz down.

“Max, I was only kidding,” she laughed and smacked his shoulder and waited for his answer.

After a long pause, Max finally said, “But I wasn’t,” he took her hand and led them to the couch, “Tess, I know we have been together for a long time, maybe even too long,” he said firmly looking in her eyes.

Tess couldn’t believe it was happening. Max couldn’t break up with her, he just couldn’t!

“And,” Max continued, “I’m not sure anymore about what exactly I feel towards you, but I don’t think that with my feelings will be enough for us to marry,” he said and gathered all his strength to say the next sentence. “I think we should break up, Tess,” he said softly.

‘No, no, no,’ Tess screamed inwardly. Why now? She had been with him for years, for more than seven years. Seven years! And now Max was thinking he could break up with her just a few weeks before the wedding?

“Things will never be the same, but whatever happens, we have to stay together. It's the four of us now,” Max persuaded them all and Tess finally felt hope.

She had basically done everything she could to get his attention. They were meant to be. Tess was his wife, his queen, not Liz.

“I knew this was meant to be,” Tess said breathlessly as Max leaned toward her.

But her happiness was short-lived as Max pushed her away and looked at Liz, who was standing at the entrance of the cave. Tess could see that she was barely holding her tears, in fact, her face was already wet, but she didn’t entirely care. She had a destiny to fulfil.

“No,” Max called and quickly came to Liz, only to grab her arm and turn her to face him, “Look, everything I told you before is still true,” he said, holding her.

“Max, you do have a destiny. You just heard it. I can't stand in the way of it,” Liz said and Tess hoped Max would understand that too. He had to understand, there was no other way.

For a moment, there was silence in the cave as Tess waited for Max’s reply.

And then she heard his voice, full of emotions and desperation, “But you mean everything to me,” he said.

“Max,” Tess said as calmly as possible, although she was fuming. “Don’t you think we should talk about it first? You can’t just suddenly make that kind of decision, everything was fine...Maybe you are just nervous?” she asked with a smile. “And I thought that the bride was the nervous one,” she laughed, but it didn’t affect Max.

“Maybe you should be the one, who thinks about it, Tess,” Max persisted, „You don’t love me,” he said and before Tess could object, added, “I know that, Tess. You love me as much as I love you and I know ... that’s not enough for us to get married,” he said and stood up from the couch, “Think about it,” Max moved to the door. “I guess it would be better if I stay with Isabel for the next couple of days,” he said and didn’t even wait for Tess’ response as he walked away.

‘Oh no,’ Tess thought as she hurried out of the apartment.

‘It was true,’ Liz thought as she leaned against her door... Max was living so close to her. Why she hadn’t noticed that?

Her job and papers were quickly forgotten as tears started to flow rapidly. She had tried to be strong, but even she couldn’t do everything and remain invincible. She, like the others, had her weaknesses and faults. Unfortunately for her, Liz greatest weakness was Max and the fact that she couldn’t stay away from him was her greatest fault.

Why she had agreed to meet him on Sunday? Why? How she was going to explain that to Tess? They both had agreed to sacrifice their happiness, but...was it really worth it?

What if he was wrong? What then? Tess had changed and there was no threat from her, at least Liz hoped so. Tess, by herself had seen everything, even the worst moments; she wouldn’t be able to desert her duties, right? Tess knew everything that would happen.

But how well did she know Tess? Liz knew that the blonde girl was able to kill, even the good guys, and she could be cold and distant. She could sacrifice everything, even her life, to fulfil one aim.

Was Tess different now?

“Max loves you. Every time we were together. Every time we kissed. He was thinking of you. He had these flashes... that I saw... and…they were always of you,” Tess said quietly to Liz.

Huh? “Why are you telling me this?” Liz asked.

“Because I know how much it must've hurt you,” Tess replied.

Liz looked at the blonde girl and wondered how they had allowed things to get that far. People were killed because of them and their secret. Her best friend had died by Tess’ hand.

After a moment of silence, Liz asked, “So you're really gonna go do this, huh?”

“At least I can do one good thing with my life,” Tess said and turned to get out of the car.

Tess was able to kill Alex and herself too. Liz hoped that this time everything would be different. Better.

There was a loud knock at the door and Liz turned around to open it.

As soon as the door was open, Tess quickly walked in and shut the door.

“Well,” Liz said a little bit shocked about Tess behaviour, “Hello to you, too,” she said.

Tess stopped and looked at Liz, “You’ve seen him, right?” she asked, “You aren’t any more surprised to see me, so I assume you have already met Max,” Tess asked and Liz nodded.

“Yeah, well...we ran into each other just some time ago,” she explained, avoiding the part where she was lying under Max.

“Houston, we have a problem,” Tess said and started to pace in Liz’s living room, “Max doesn’t want to marry me anymore. In fact, he just broke up with me,” Tess said.

Liz’s hopes for a peaceful future were shattered with Tess’ last sentence. She certainly didn’t want them to break up. Heck, who she was kidding, of course she didn’t want Max and Tess together, but still...They had to be.

At that moment Liz knew – there wouldn’t be any date with Max. Not Sunday, not ever.
Last edited by Erina on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Chapter 8

“Max! How could you kiss her?” Isabel shouted, “You will be married soon. And, may I remind you, that Tess is the one you are going to marry, not ...not...” Isabel said frustrated, “What was her name?” she asked.

“Liz,” Max said quietly without looking up from his hands in lap. He would let Isabel say everything she wanted; that way his sister would be much calmer when Max tried to open his mouth and explain his feelings.

At first, Max had been angry with Isabel; she hadn’t the right to judge him. Max was an adult and he could do everything he wanted. Besides, they didn’t kiss, although Max wanted it so much. At the moment, Max couldn’t believe how close they were, he and Liz Parker. He was surprised and happy to know that she was living just next door to him, but now when Max was sitting and just half-listening to Isabel’s lecture, he realized something.

Why had Tess been knocking at Liz’s door? What was in that note?

Did they know each other?

Tess hadn’t mentioned that she knew their neighbour. And she had gone to her friend already this afternoon. Besides, Max would remember if Tess had a friend by name of Liz or Elizabeth.

At least Tess wasn’t cheating on him, but it didn’t bother Max anymore. He was determined to break up with her; he had already spent so much time without Liz.

The way Liz had talked with him, looked at him proved that she had feelings towards him as well; Max knew it. When he was lying on her, Max had looked into her eyes and he had seen something. Although, he wasn’t sure exactly what it was. She couldn’t love him, right? They barely knew each other, although Max knew everything about Liz Parker; he had observed her for such a long time.

But Liz didn’t know anything about him. So what? Max had decided to change that. He loved her and couldn’t live anymore without her. He had already done the first steps: broken up with Tess and arranged a date with her. With Liz.

They both still had a long road ahead of them; Max didn’t doubt it. Would she freak out, when she discovered that he was an alien? In the past years, that was the main reason he had stayed away from her. But after Michael had married Maria, and Isabel had become Alex’s wife, Max didn’t want to spend his life with the person he didn’t love. At first he was scared, that Liz would reject him, because of who he was, but...Maria and Alex hadn’t done it; maybe Liz would accept him as well? Oh God, how he hoped for it.

“Max!” Isabel shrieked and Max winced; damn, she had a loud voice, “Are you listening to me?” she asked frustrated.

“I’m listening,” he stated simply and Isabel seemed content with his answer, so she started to scold him once again.

Max didn’t object; it wasn’t like Isabel knew everything about Liz. In fact, his sister didn’t even suspect about Max’s feelings towards her. After Liz left Roswell, Max had closed off and hadn’t told anyone. Isabel hadn’t even recognized her.

“So, what can you say to defend yourself?” Isabel asked irritated.

“I love her,” Max said and watched as Isabel opened her mouth, but nothing came out. His sister? Speechless? That was something new, but Max knew that he had shocked her. For her, Max had met Liz just now, there was no way he could love her.

But he did. Max loved her. He was tired to do always the right thing. Max was sick of being the king. He wasn’t a king; he was simply a man who loved a girl. Liz. Max was determined to do something he wanted at least once in his life and not just because it was the best thing to do.

“Y-You w-w-what?” Isabel stammered as her features softened and she sat down on the couch beside her brother, “But how?” she asked incredibly, “You don’t even know that girl!”

“You are wrong Isabel, I know Liz Parker very well,” he said, “I have been in love with her all my life,” Max’s soft voice filled the room and Isabel looked at him, confused.

“Max, are you okay?” she asked concerned, “Maybe you are sick?” Isabel asked and stood up, only to start pacing in her living room, “You can’t love her...I don’t know anything about her, why didn’t you tell me?” she asked as she sat down once again and took her brother’s hands in hers, “Am I a bad sister or what?” the tears started to appear in her eyes, “You were the first person I told about Alex and my feelings, why didn’t you do the same?” Isabel whispered brokenly.

Max carefully wiped a tear on Isabel’s cheek, “No, no, of course, not. You are a wonderful sister, Isabel, don’t ever doubt about it,” he assured.

“Then why you didn’t tell me?” she asked once again.

“I don’t know...” Max replied, “Maybe I was just scared, although I have always known that I love her, she was and still is the one with whom I want to spent the rest of my life. I was scared that would make things worse if I admitted out loud that I love her, because I knew we could never be together. Today was the first day in my life that I have openly admitted that I love her. To you, Isabel, you were the first person I told,” he said and watched as Isabel started to smile through the tears.

“Oh Max,” Isabel cried as she hugged her brother tightly, “I can’t believe that you have found her, Max. Tess is my best friend, but I have always known you didn’t love her,” she confessed, “Your eyes don’t sparkle when you look at her,” Isabel explained, “Will you forgive me?” she asked as they pulled apart.

“Of course, Isabel,” Max convinced her, “You are my only sister, how could you think I wouldn’t forgive you?”

“I’m sorry for yelling at you; it’s just when I saw you there, lying on that girl, Liz, something inside me snapped, but that was wrong that I let my emotions lead me,” Isabel said truthfully, “Moving to Boston, a new job and the planning of your wedding apparently was a little too much,” she admitted as her eyes went wide, “W-wedding? Max, what about your wedding?” she asked.

“I talked with Tess after your departure,” Max said, “And I said that we shouldn’t marry,” Max admitted, “Although I don’t love her, at least in the way she deserves, it wasn’t easy to break up with her. We had been together for so long, more than seven years, but I couldn’t continue to lie to myself and pretend that I love her....” Max said and stood up.

“What did she say?” Isabel asked softly as she came to her brother, who was now standing at the window.

“She tried to persuade me, that it wasn’t the best thing to do,” he said, “She thought that I was just nervous about the wedding, but I’m not. I have never been so sure about anything, I can’t be with Tess anymore, I’m officially calling the wedding off,” Max said decidedly, “You can stop the planning, Isabel, the wedding won’t happen,” he said.

“It all is happening so suddenly,” Isabel said, “You have just moved to Boston with your girlfriend and in the next day you break up with her, our parents will definitely be confused,” she laughed, “And Michael will probably blast something,”

Max frowned. He hadn’t thought about the others. His parents already considered Tess as his wife and Michael...Tess had lived with him and she was like his sister, Michael definitely wouldn’t be happy about Max’s decision either.

But there was no way he was changing his mind, especially now, when he had met Liz once again. He was sure; Liz was the one for him. Max didn’t doubt anymore: he would rather spend his life alone than with Tess. At least now, Tess was free and could find a person who loved her like she deserved.

Maybe Tess would even thank him in the end.

“Isabel, I know Tess is your best friend and I don’t want to put you in the middle,” he said, “Maybe you should go to her, she needs you more, you are her closest friend, Isabel,” Max persuaded his sister.

“Max, Tess might be my best friend, but you are my brother,” Isabel objected.

“Don’t worry about me, Isabel, I’m more than okay,” he smiled, “In fact I need time to think about where I will take Liz on our first date,” Max grinned.

“Oh my God,” Isabel squealed, “I can’t believe it, Max! I’m so happy for you!” she hugged him tightly once again, “I really want you to be happy,” she said and pulled away to look in his eyes, “You really deserve that, dear brother,” she smiled, “So, tell me, how did you ask her? I mean, it’s not like you aren’t a good-looking guy, but you have never asked a girl out,” she laughed.

Max blushed and smiled shyly, “Well, it’s not exactly a date,” he admitted, “We sort of just going out like...friends,” Max said.

“I bet it won’t be for long, she won’t be able to resist you,” she smiled.

“I really hope so, Isabel, I really want to be together with her. I’m just afraid; like you said, I haven’t dated a lot, I don’t know much about dates, romantic dates, Tess never liked that kind of thing very much...And even if it does work, how will I tell her that I’m an alien? And what if she doesn’t like me as much as I like her? Maybe she already has a boyfriend, maybe even a husband! And I was so desperate, that she agreed to go out with me!” Max was panicking, he hadn’t thought about so many things.

“Max, MAX!” Isabel yelled to get Max’s attention, “Calm down, she isn’t married,” Isabel said.

“Isabel, don’t take offence, but how you can know that?” Max raised an eyebrow. He didn’t want to admit it, but her statement calmed him a little. He prayed that Isabel would be right and Liz hadn’t a husband...or a boyfriend.

“Duh, Max! She didn’t have a ring on her finger,” Isabel explained.

“But maybe...” Max’s mind starting to produce another explanation why Liz hadn’t got a ring on her finger, but Isabel stopped him.

“Geez, Max, will you listen to yourself?” Isabel laughed.

“I’m glad my situation is amusing you,” Max grumbled.

“Trust me, you don’t have to worry, Max,”
Last edited by Erina on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erina
Forum Moderator

Post by Erina »

Chapter 9

“No!” Liz shouted, “He can’t do that! Max can’t break up with you; you two have to be together!” Liz cried as she slumped down to the floor, her face in her hands.

“But he did,” Tess said sadly, “I don’t know what to say or do anymore...He’s always been unsociable, but now...I really don’t know what he is thinking at the moment,” Tess admitted as she sat besides Liz on the floor and leaned against the door.

“I refuse to throw everything away,” Liz told Tess, “We have both sacrificed so much; he has to marry you, there is no other way,” Liz said and her heart broke more and more. It was one thing was to know that Max was in Roswell and happy with Tess, but this...Now she had to keep them together! She loved him, but they wouldn’t be together, too much was at stake. Not just her life, but whole planet depended on her.

But why had Max broken up with Tess so suddenly? Was it because of her? Maybe their meeting had affected him as much as it had her? No, Liz refused to believe that, because that would mean Max had feelings for her and ... It would hurt too much, because he had to be with Tess, not her.

“What exactly did he say to you when you two met?” Tess asked and Liz tensed. Liz knew that she had to tell the truth, but she was embarrassed because of her lack of strength. She wasn’t able to resist him and had agreed to go out with him. Why was she so weak around him?

“Um, nothing much,” Liz lied.

“Well, anyway, even if he said nothing much, what did he say?” Tess was growing impatient and frustrated.

Liz decided just to tell her, “He asked me to go out with him,” she said and was surprised about the calmness in her voice. She didn’t look at Tess, just waited patiently for her reaction.

When a couple of minutes had passed, Liz started to worry. Maybe Tess hadn’t heard her, but...Well, they were sitting close, there was no way Tess hadn’t heard her.

“He did WHAT?!?!” Tess yelled as she stood up quickly, “Are you kidding me? Max would never do that! He is engaged, he wouldn’t ask some other women on a date!” she cried.

“We didn’t agree to a date, Tess, we just wanted to talk,” Liz explained and tried to convince Tess and herself at the same time, “Besides he remembers me and wants to know why I left Roswell so suddenly,”

Tess looked at her shocked, “Wait a minute...I hope you didn’t agree!” she said, but when Liz shamefully looked down at the floor, Tess exclaimed, “I can’t believe it, I never expected that you would do something like that! I mean, you know where it can lead to, but you still agreed to go on a date with him!” she yelled.

“It won’t be a date,” Liz quietly said.

“It doesn’t matter,” Tess burst out, “Because you won’t go anywhere! I don’t care, break his heart, but you can’t go out with him, it’s too dangerous, Liz. What will happen if he gets a flash from you, from your memories, how are you going to explain, huh? He doesn’t even suspect that you know about his alien status,” Tess said.

“I know that,” Liz said tiredly, “Remember, I know everything, you don’t have to remind me,” she pointed out.

“Well, sorry, Ms. Parker,” Tess said, “But your action shows the opposite. How could you forget and agree?”

“I’m sorry, Tess, I really am. I just couldn’t say ‘no’. I haven’t seen him in so long,” Liz said and fought back her tears, “I just miss him,” she whispered quietly, but Tess heard her anyway.

“You can’t, Liz, you just can’t,” Tess whispered back.

“I know, Tess,” she exclaimed, “I have spent the last eight years with memories of him, our relationship, marriage and our son. Knowing that we won’t be together,” Liz said and stood up as well, “I have seen too much grief and pain, I won’t make the same mistake twice,” she said firmly.

“What are we going to do?” Tess asked.

Liz looked at her and thought about it for a moment, “We are going to do everything possible and impossible to force Max to marry you,” Liz said. ‘Please, forgive me, Max, but it’s the only way,’ Liz thought.

“And what if that doesn’t work?”

“Then we will tell him the truth,” Liz simply said.

Liz looked out; it was raining once again. She pressed her cheek against the cold glass of the window and looked outside. Cars were driving and many people were running with the aim to hide from the rain. They did the only thing Liz wanted at the moment, but she wasn’t sure where she would run: to Max or away from him.

She said I feel stranded
And I can't tell anymore
If we coming or I'm going
It's not how I planed it
I've got the key to the door
But it just won't open

She knew so much about Max and aliens, but... Did that somehow help her? No, that ravaged her deeper and deeper, but Liz always had found strength to survive, to live, although it was harder and harder to do that without him...

And I know, I know, I know
Part of me says let it go
That life happens for a reason
I don't, I don't, I don't
It goes I never went before
But this time, this time

She would soon crush his heart once again. How many times had she already done that? Liz had run away from him, not just once, but several times.

Dear Max,
What's so great about normal? Do you remember when you asked me that? Back then the answer was nothing; because of you, Max, because of how much you love me. Now though, the answer is different. Normal is something I need, and that's why I have to leave. I have to figure out what my life means away from Roswell and away from you. Don't hate me for doing this. I love you more than you could ever know. Liz.

She still remember how hard was to write that letter, but Liz had needed it. Something normal. Something sane. But she had hurt him in the process. Was it worth it?

I'm gonna try anything to just feel better
Tell me what to do
You know I can't see through the haze around me
And I do anything to just feel better

Max was the only one who understood her the best, who comforted her, when she needed it. With him, she had felt safe and loved. She was happy, even when danger was around them. They were together.

She said I need you to hold me
I'm a little far from the shore
And I'm afraid of sinking
You're the only one knows me
And who doesn't ignore
That my soul is weeping

“No, no, I don’t believe you,” a sixteen-year-old Liz Parker cried and tried to run away from him.

“Liz, you have to believe me, running away won’t solve anything,” he pleaded and his voice stopped her.

“I – I can’t,” Liz cried, “Please, leave me alone, I don’t deserve this,” she said and once again tried to leave.

But he had sealed the door.

“Please, leave me alone,” Liz pleaded as she slumped down to the floor, her cheeks wet with tears. What had she done to deserve this? Heck, she didn’t even know him...that well. Why he was coming to her? Why?

He sat besides her “I know it is hard for you, believe me, I know,” he said in a broken whisper, “I don’t want to do ... this either, but we don’t have a choice, Liz,”

“We?!” Liz shrieked, “I didn’t ask you to involve me in all this, why did you come to me?”

“You know that, Liz,” he said and Liz made one of the biggest mistakes; she looked into his eyes, “You are the only one I trust, please, you have to do this,” he pleaded.

“No,” Liz shook her head, “I’m sorry, but I can’t. I won’t help you. Go to someone else,” she said sternly and stood up to go out through her balcony.

Suddenly Liz felt a hand on her month, silencing her. His other hand went to her head and it was the last thing Liz remembered before everything went black.

Liz bolted in her bed. Why she was having those dreams? They only reminded her once again what she had to do, but Liz knew that.

Long to hold you in my arms
To all things I ought to leave behind, yeah
It's really getting nowhere
I think I need a little help this time!

She would break Max’s heart again and Tess would help her.

Lyrics by Steven Tyler and Santana 'Yust feel better'
Last edited by Erina on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.