Life & Love in London(CC ALL ADULT) Complete

Finished stories set in an alternate universe to that introduced in the show, or which alter events from the show significantly, but which include the Roswell characters. Aliens play a role in these fics. All complete stories on the main AU with Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

madroswellfan
Roswell Fanatic
Location: In a remote University doing Maths....I'm not called Mad for nothing!

Post by madroswellfan »

Big thanks to my beta Sternbetrachter.
The two songs featured in this chapter are:
A poem that I had to write a song to for my music class (And I dont know what its called or who its by, sorry)
And "Porkchops" by my college band "Hammerfluff"

Enjoy

Chapter 11a

Friday Night, 7:00pm, the University Bar

“Hey guys, we’re the Whits, and we’re not supposed to love anymore”

Liz looked around at the audience’s reaction…and they loved it. Everyone quickly swarmed towards the band. Max watched as Alex grinned as if to say “I told you so” to Maria.

Liz knew Maria had been freaking out about her first gig. “What if it doesn’t go well? What if they start throwing rotten fruit at us?” etc.

“Whoop Go the Whits!” Liz called out.

Liz was loving the fact her two best friends were living their dream. It was so…perfect. She was so utterly happy for them.

Liz was surprised that her and Max had managed to get everyone to come tonight. The eight of them hadn’t hanged out as group since they all first met each other.
Liz let her eyes scan there little group.

Michael seemed to be…well…brooding. Michael hadn’t seemed himself lately, and she bet she knew why. The look in his eyes kinda spoke how he felt, even if he wouldn’t admit it to Maria.

Jesse was sitting between Tess and Isabel. Before the band had started playing, he had kept moving closer to Isabel…but Isabel seemed…distracted. She hadn’t seemed her nice, friendly self lately. Liz had kept trying to talk to her about it…but she just kept pushing her away…pretty much like she appeared to be doing with Jesse.

Jesse meanwhile was getting rather…upset looks from Tess. Liz couldn’t help but wonder if Tess had fallen for him, and was upset he was dating Isabel.

And then there was Max. Max, her boyfriend. God she loved those two words. They were together. A guy as perfect as Max Evans had picked her, even though she was in a wheelchair. She must be the luckiest girl on the planet.

As if on cue, Max put his arm around her and she smiled at him. He leant over and gave her a gentle kiss which she happily accepted.

“It was my secret: my heart’s surprise
But, I just can’t control it when I look into your eyes.”

Liz looked up to see Maria starting her first verse. She was giving so much soul into it…she wondered if Michael knew she was picturing him.

“I don’t understand how this could be…
These feelings aren’t supposed to happen to me.”

Michael watched her. It was like she was singing the words from his heart. This wasn’t meant to happen to him. And he was powerless to stop it.

He wanted Maria…but could not be with her.

“I’m falling too deep; I’m falling too fast,
I guess I didn’t learn from my past,
This never happened before,
I’m not supposed to love…anymore”

Maria flickered her eyes over to her friends. She hoped she was doing ok. She had been really nervous…until she started to sing. And they were opening with her favourite song of there’s…one that struck a chord with her. Because she knew…she knew she wasn’t over Michael. And even though he clearly didn’t have feeling for her…she had feelings for him.

“But when I’m with you…time stands still
And it seems like no one else is around.
My heart is screaming your name
With every beat, with every pound”

Max drew Liz closer to him as Maria sang. Time stood still whenever he was with Liz. He was certain that he was falling in love with her…he just wished Liz felt the same way. He didn’t want to proclaim he loved her and her to say she wasn’t there yet. But right now…this moment was perfect.

Liz’s eyes flickered to Max. The song sounded like it was written about her. She wasn’t meant to love anyone. Liz was an invalid…a freak.
And yet…her heart belonged to Max Evans. She was falling for him, and all she could think about was…how could a guy as perfect as Max Evans ever love her?
She rested her head on his shoulder. He was here. And that was what mattered.

“Once again my heart is controlling my brain,
And when I’m not with you I go insane
It all seems too good to be true,
But I don’t care – I’m falling for you.”

Isabel watched Alex. She hadn’t said a word since Alex had started playing. He was so good. And the words…the words were written about her.
Staring at Alex she wondered how things could have gone so badly on their date. She wondered if she hadn’t given Alex a chance…that she should have said “lets go out again” before he walked away from her.

It was then she admitted it to herself. She knew what it was she was missing when she was with Jesse…..
Alex.

Jesse wasn’t Alex.

He never was and never could be Alex. And even though she didn’t really know Alex…she knew that dating Jesse for more than a month was the biggest mistake of her life.

Alex kept looking around the room as he played. He was glad that he had found this poem. He was glad that he had turned it into a song…it just seemed to…work.
He glanced over at Jesse who was sitting between Isabel and Tess. He really and truly hoped that they were happy together…even if that meant that he wasn’t. Isabel deserved the best. And maybe the best was Jesse, and he had to learn to accept that.

I’m not supposed to love

The audience dissolved into cheering and wooting at the band.

There were only two people in the room who didn’t.

“Thank you, and now we would like some Pork Chops”

The drummer started a simple beat before the guitarist let rip. Alex smiled before joining in playing his funky bass rhythm.

“Fed up with constant lies and this may come as no surprise,
We’re all fed up with this war and hatred,
No ones voices have we hidden from the truth,
And we still wonder how we made it.”

Jesse got up saying “I’m going to get a beer.”

Jesse walked slowly over to the bar and ordered a beer. The band were good…but he hadn’t clapped. He was too freaked out by last nights events.

He had put the ruined bed sheets and pillow in a black liner and hidden it in his wardrobe. He hadn’t the heart to throw them out…his mother had made him that duvet.

Jesse knew Isabel was pulling away from him. They’d spoken at the beginning of the night about meeting up tomorrow…but other than that…Isabel had barely said a word to him.

If she thought he was going to let her pull away from him…she was wrong.

“Hold on to everything and let others put you down,
Hold on to what you say and they’ll soon come around,
There’s nothing they can do we are a million strong,
Won’t take much longer to prove that they are wrong.”

“What happened?” Tess asked as she slid into the space next to him. “And don’t say nothing cos I can tell. You’ve had the face of a wet leaf of all night”

Jesse sighed. “They went into my room and destroyed the duvet my mother made for me, and my pillows.”

Tess raised her eyebrows.

“And now are you going to tell Max?” she asked.

Jesse made a growling noise.

“No I’m not! I’ve told you Tess. I am not telling him.” he said as he picked up his beer and started to walk back to the others.

Tess fell into step besides him.

“You’re making a mistake” she said in a monotonous tone.

“Keep away from me Tess. I thought you were my friend.” he said as he sat down. He knew Tess wouldn’t carry on in front of the others.

“Rules are way too strict, we’re constantly being told off
You can’t do this and you cannot escape it.
Its not like we give a fuck or want to know what you think,
We make our own decisions, yeah…”

Tess glared at Jesse. That’s it. She had had enough.

Time for plan B.

“I’m leaving” Tess said before flouncing away.

“Good” Jesse muttered and the others silently agreed.

“Liz?” Max whispered in her ear.

Liz looked at him. “Yeah Max?”

“I was wondering…what about…tomorrow night…I’ll pick you up at seven.”

Liz smiled. “Ok…where are we going?” she asked curiously.

“It’s a surprise” he said grinning.

Liz pouted and fluttered her eyelashes.

“Nice try” he said before kissing her.

Liz laughed. “Worth a shot”

The crowd went wild.

“Whoop! Go the Whits!” Max yelled. Liz looked at him in surprise and laughed. She wrapped her arms around his waist and kissed him softly.

Maria and Alex looked at each other and grinned from ear to ear.

They were a hit!
madroswellfan
Roswell Fanatic

Post by madroswellfan »

Chapter 11b

Saturday Morning 9:30 am

Isabel tied her trainer laces and started to stretch her legs. She was scared stiff of today. She knew what she had to do. She had been thinking about it all night. She had barely slept, trying to figure out the best way to say it. But no matter what she came up with…she had a terrible feeling that it wasn’t good enough.

Isabel was interrupted by a knock at the door. She was surprised someone could be here so early in the morning. The only reason she was up was because she liked going for runs when it was quiet…and Saturday mornings were VERY quiet.

She crossed the room and opened the door.
The last person she expected to see was standing in front of her.
“Hey” Isabel said in surprise.

“Hiya. Are my girls up?” Alex asked.

Isabel shook her head. “No, but come on in” she said as she moved aside.

Alex gave her a small smile before walking in.
Isabel shivered as he walked past her. She followed his movement across the room with her eyes.
"Say something! Anything!" She thought to herself.

“The Whits were amazing last night Alex. Your bass playing was brilliant.”

Alex smiled. “Thanks. Well don’t let me keep you. I’m going to wake up my sleeping beauties” he said before walking into Maria’s room and closing the door behind him.

Isabel blinked. She didn’t expect him to still like her after dating Jesse…but did it have to be so awkward?
She sighed to herself before walking out of the apartment.

Alex shut the door and sighed quietly to himself. If only things had been different on their date, maybe...
Or maybe they shouldn’t have gone out at all. Then he would have been able to have a moment without thinking about her.
He shook his head. She was with Jesse and she was happy. That was what mattered. And he was happy for her….even if that meant heartache for him.

Alex silently crept near the bed and went near the sleeping Maria. She was sleeping like an angel.

Once, way back when, Alex had been head over heels for Maria. He had followed her around like a lost puppy.

But all that changed after the accident. And Alex knew exactly who was to blame for all that.

Alex blamed himself. He should have been aware. If he hadn’t have been paying so attention to Maria, then he would have got them all out of the way in time and Liz wouldn’t have pushed them out of the way.

He shook himself to try and get rid of his guilt trip. Today he was going to spend the day with his girls…his best friends.

“Hey Barbie” he growled softly in a low deep voice.

“Go away Ken” Maria moaned as she turned over and put a pillow over her head.

Alex chuckled.

“You have five seconds before I tickle you” he warned.

“I’m up!!!” Maria said sitting up and opening her eyes.

Alex sniggered. “Knew that would work”

Maria rolled her eyes and looked at the clock.
“Alex! It’s 9:40 in the morning!” Maria moaned as she sank back down on to her pillow.
“Come back later” she added.

“I was thinking that we could go shopping…”

“Shopping!” she repeated as she sat up. “Let’s go!” she said happily. “I’ll get dressed, you get Liz” she said swinging her legs out of bed, getting up, pushing Alex out of the door and shutting it behind him.

Alex blinked. It’s amazing the effect the word “shopping” has on girls.

Alex crossed over to Liz’s room. He neared the bed and dropped to his knees. He looked at the sleeping girl. He was so happy that she had found happiness with Max. They were good for each other.

“Alex likes to watch the trailers” Liz mumbled in her sleep.

Huh? She was dreaming about him? She must have had too much alcohol last night or something…

“MOVE!” Liz screamed.

SLAM

Liz jerked awake, panting.

“Sorry….bathroom door slammed shut!” Maria called out.

Alex put his hand on Liz’s arm. “Shh…it’s okay Liz. It’s just me…just your Alex. It was a dream Liz” he told her gently.

Liz looked around, her eyes expecting to see headlights….but there were none.

She sighed. “Sorry” she mumbled.

“Don’t worry about it” Alex said with a small smile.

She was still having nightmares about the car; that car that changed everything.

“So what are you doing here Alex?” Liz asked yawning.

“I thought we could go shopping” Alex replied. “But if you don’t feel up to it….”

“No, no. It sounds great Alex” she said with a smile.

Maria was in the bathroom. Wiping her mouth she flushed the toilet. She was still throwing up most mornings. She knew Alex must have noticed. Liz had seen her ill once, but Maria insisted she was sick and she took the day off. And the next day she told her she was better and that was the end of that.

Maria looked at the bathroom door. She hadn’t slammed it. It had just….slammed on its own. But the window was open…it must have been the wind. The door had been shut before she came in…

Anyway, Maria was ok…she didn’t need a doctor or anything. So she didn’t need to worry.

“Explain to me again why you dragged me here?”

Max sighed. “Would you stop whining Michael. We have an empty fridge and I need supplies for tonight. And you need to stop being the sofa monster. The one that doesn’t move and broods about a certain blonde.”

Michael crossed his arms. “I do not brood” he muttered.

Max rolled his eyes as he pushed the trolley around the corner of the aisle and started down the next one.

“Look Michael…if you like her, why don’t you just…”

“Be with her?” Michael interrupted. “And do a Max? Date a human when I’m destined for something else. So when eventually destiny catches up with me, I have to break her heart.”

Max stopped. He looked at Michael. “That’s not going to happen Michael. I don’t care about destiny. I don’t give a damn. I’m not letting some stupid book tell me what to do.”

“Really?” Michael said raising an eyebrow. “Want to explain to me why we came over here in the first place Maxwell?”

Max tried to control his anger. “Look I just had to ok? I need to know. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to go and do anything about it. And what are you saying? You want to be with Isabel?”

Michael clamped his teeth together as he looked at a particularly interesting jar of coffee.

“Didn’t think so” Max said as he started to push the trolley again.

Michael followed him. “I just…don’t want to hurt her.” He explained.

“More than you’re doing now?” Max asked. “Because I don’t think you can hurt her much more.”

He knew Max was right…but he just…couldn’t.

As they reached the end of the aisle Michael grabbed a box of beer and dumped it in the trolley.

“Michael! I’m here for ingredients…”

“And I’m here for beer” Michael stated as he headed off to the alcohol section.

Isabel sat nervously at the café, waiting for Jesse.

This was it. She was going to do it…she was going to end it.

She bit her lip nervously, trying to wait patiently. She hoped he would understand…that he would just…let her go. She knew from this morning’s reaction she had lost Alex…but she couldn’t stay with Jesse if her mind and heart were with Alex.

“Hey”

Isabel looked up and saw Jesse. She hadn’t even heard him arrive. Jesse bent down to give kiss her, but she quickly turned her head so he kissed her cheek.

Giving her a funny look Jesse sat down at the table.

“Hey” Isabel replied quietly.

Jesse looked at her. What was going on? Tess hadn’t….

“What’s going on Isabel?” he asked.

Isabel closed her eyes. She took a deep breath.

“I don’t think this is going to work Jesse.”

Jesse sat there as still as a board. “No…no. It’s working Isabel.” He told her.

She shook her head.

“No…This is about Tess isn’t it…she said something!”

Isabel looked at him. “What? No, this isn’t about Tess. And this isn’t about you. It’s about me. I just can’t…be with you anymore Jesse. I’m sorry”

Jesse’s blood boiled.

“No. No! Isabel you don’t mean it! I don’t care what anyone else says or does. I’m not going to lose you!!!” he said loudly, making other people’s heads turn.

Isabel stood up. Clearly he wasn’t going to understand and let her go…
“Jesse I told you, this isn’t about anyone else but me…”

“No!!!” he said standing up as well. “I’m not going to lose you! I need you! Your mine!”

Isabel looked at him. Mine. That’s what she was to him; A possession.

“I’m sorry Jesse” she said quietly before turning and walking away.

“Isabel!” Jesse called after her.
But she kept walking.

“ISABEL!”

“Sir I think you should leave” a waiter said.

Giving the waiter a filthy look, he stormed out of the café.

“God my feet hurt” Maria complained.

Liz smiled. “We’re almost back, Ria” she told her as Alex pushed her along the street.

“Are you feeling any better?” Alex asked looking at Maria.

Liz looked at them. “What?”

"Busted" Maria thought.

“I’m fine Alex” Maria said.

“Did you go to the doctors?” he asked again.

“What’s going on?” Liz asked.

“Maria hasn’t come into class for the last week.” Alex said.

Liz looked at her. “What? I thought it was just once this last week”

Alex shook his head. “Nope. All week. Even turned up late to band practice.”

Liz looked at Maria, and her guilty face said it all. “You didn’t go to the doctor’s did you?”

“No…but I’m fine…” Maria said.

Alex stopped.

“Maria!” Alex said annoyed.

“I’m sorry, you know I don’t like going to doctors….”

Alex looked at her. “Right. After I get the jeep I’m dropping you off at the doctor’s before taking Liz”

“Huh?” the girls said in unison.

“Well….when we get back to yours, Max asked if I’d come and get the jeep from him so I can take Liz to her date as he’s going to be….busy. So I can drop Maria off before-hand.” Alex explained as he started to push Liz again.

“Busy?” Liz repeated. “Doing what?” she asked grinning.

“My lips are sealed” he said smirking.

Liz pouted.

“Not going to work Lizzy”

She stuck her tongue out at him and he laughed. “So doctor’s in an hour and a half” he told Maria.

“But…”

“Maria” he said giving her a look.

“Fine” she said sulking.

“Good”

Alex reached the girls apartment building and helped Liz down the corridor to there apartment.

“Be back with the jeep later” he said before giving a little wave before heading back to the guys place.

Tess sat there….waiting.
The pieces were set.
Black verses white.
Aliens verses Humans
And soon….soon it would be time for the Queen’s move.

Alex knocked on the girls apartment door over an hour later. “Coming!” he heard from within.

He waited a moment before the door opened and he saw Isabel.

“Hey again” Alex said giving her a small smile.

“Hi Alex” she said letting him in. “How are you?” she asked.
She was dying to tell him that it was over between her and Jesse…but she wasn’t sure how to do it. Its not as if he was going to “Great, now we can date!!!”

“I’m good thanks” he told her. “And how are…”

At that moment Maria opened Liz’s bedroom door and let Liz come through.

“Wow!” Alex said grinning. “Liz you look stunning…how about you forget about Max and go out with me baby?” Alex joked.

Liz and Maria laughed as Alex gave a rather… fake laugh.

“Well let’s get this show on the road ladies” Alex said as he opened the front door for Liz. Maria wheeled Liz through the doors.

“Bye gals…bye Alex!” Isabel called out as they left.

Isabel sighed to herself. Maybe she could tell the girls and let them tell Alex… but she hoped that there was still a chance…and she thought that slight chance was if she told him herself.

And she clung to that chance.

Meanwhile, Alex had put Liz in the car and the three of them had set off.

“When I’ve dropped Liz off do you want me to come back and stay with you?” Alex asked Maria.

She shook her head. “No…I want to do this alone.”

He looked at her raising an eyebrow. “Your not going to bolt are you? Promise me you’ll go”

She sighed. “I promise Alex” she told him. “I just…want to do this myself”

Alex nodded as he drove up the street to the doctors. “Ok….well if you want me, call ok?”

Maria nodded.

“That goes the same for me too” Liz said. “Don’t worry about interrupting Max and I…this is more important” she told her.

Maria gave her a small smile. “I’ll be fine Liz”

Alex stopped the jeep. Maria got out. “Have a great date Liz” she said. She turned and walked into the building, swallowing nervously.

When Alex had seen her enter the building, he continued to drive down the street.

“She’ll be ok Alex” Liz repeated.

Alex nodded again. “Yeah…she will….so…are you ready?” he asked smiling.

“Yeah I think so….where are we going?” she said looking around.

Alex laughed. “You’ll see” he said grinning.

Liz sighed. “So Alex….you played things pretty cool with Isabel back there…”

Alex shrugged. “She has Jesse, and I’m happy for her. That’s all there is to it”

Liz looked at him. “She likes you”

“No she doesn’t” he told her. “She was the one who said we shouldn’t date again after the last dating disaster”

“Hmm…well…I still think…well…know she does. Female intuition” she explained.

Alex grunted as he pulled the car into the parking space.

Liz looked around.

“Isn’t this…”

Alex grinned as he helped her out of the jeep and put her in the wheelchair. He started to wheel her inside. Eventually they stood in front of the door and Alex knocked.

There was a momentary pause before Max opened the apartment door. Max stood there a moment as he looked at Liz. She was in a stunning black dress.

“Hey beautiful” he said kissing her cheek before letting her in. “You look stunning”

Liz smiled at him appreciatively. She then gasped as she saw the apartment. There were red and white candles everywhere.

“Max” Liz whispered.

Alex coughed. “I’m going to go in my room for a while ok? You kids have a good time” he said giving them a cheeky grin before disappearing into his room.

“Do you like it?” Max asked nervously.

“Max this is great. But you really needn’t have gone to all the trouble…”

“You’re worth it” he told her before kissing her gently. “Ok, you go over to the table and I’ll dish up” he told her.

Liz looked at him. “What? You cooked?” she asked.

Max nodded proudly.

Liz smiled a smile that made Max’s stomach flip. “Wow Max, that’s great…and so sweet” she said wheeling herself to the table.

“Yeah well you haven’t tasted it yet” he said nervously.

“I’m sure it will be great Max” she told him.

Max smiled nervously as he dished up. God he hoped this was right. He had done everything the book had told him…
He walked over to the table and put the plate in front of her.

“Wine?” he asked as he picked up the chilled white wine.

Liz smiled. “Sure”
She looked at her plate in front of her…
“Max? You cooked salmon?” she said amazed. “Wow…”

“Is that not ok?” he asked nervously as he filled her glass.

“No no! That’s great! I love salmon” she assured him as she picked up her knife and fork. Max sat and watched nervously as she took a bite.

Liz chewed and swallowed and looked at him.

"Oh God..." Max thought.

Liz smiled. “Max this is incredible”

Max let a huge lungful of air out. He grinned. “Really?” he asked smiling.

“Definitely” she replied grinning.

“Well I have an incredible teacher.”

Liz blushed.

“And an incredible girlfriend” he added.

He leaned in and kissed her.

“And she’s a great kisser”

Liz laughed.

“You look so adorable when you blush” Max said grinning. “God I love you…”

Max stopped. He could not believe he said that. After all his careful planning of tonight he’d just gone and ruined it with three words.

Liz looked at him, her heart fluttering.

“Really?” she asked quietly.

Max looked into her eyes and nodded nervously. “Yeah…I do…and I’m sorry I shouldn’t have said anything…”

“I love you too” she interrupted.

Max gazed at her, a grin appearing on his face. “Really?”

Liz nodded. “Really… And I’m not sorry” she added.

Max laughed. “Me neither” he said. He leaned in and kissed her gently. “I love you Liz Parker” he whispered.

“I love you Max Evans” she replied before kissing him again.

Alex lay on his bed staring at the ceiling. He was glad Isabel was happy. He was glad that she had found love…
Now all he needed was someone to gouge his eyes out.

And Maria…he was worried about her. She was still thinking about Michael…and she was sick. Alex couldn’t help but worry that she was really sick. He wished Maria would have let him go with her. But he respected her wishes. He’d just go mental thinking about her and Isabel. At least Liz was his silver lining. At least she was doing well. Max and Liz were adorable…although he was upset that she was still having nightmares about that damn car.

He guessed that silver lining was so great after all.

“Can things get any worse?” he thought.

Jesse lay on his bed, staring at the ceiling. He was furious. How dare she dump him? They were great together. This had to be Tess’ doing. She must have told Isabel and it had freaked Isabel out and she was doing this for his protection. Yes….that had to be it. No one dumped Jesse.

He was going to screw at Tess when he saw her. When he had his hands on her…

Why didn’t she tell Max herself rather than Isabel! That’s what she wanted…right? He thought she was his friend.
And now he had no friends, and no Isabel. Even Michael had been distant because he’d been moping about that Maria chick.
He was alone.

Michael lay on his bed, staring at the ceiling. Maybe Max was right. Maybe he was just hurting her more. But she would never want to be with him now. And besides, he was destined to be with Isabel. But Michael didn’t like Issy like that. In fact he thought of her as a sister…so being with her would be rather…well…wrong.

But one day he was going to leave. One day he was going to leave and return to the warring planet that created him. And he probably wouldn’t come back. He couldn’t leave her heart broken like that. By being apart now, things would be a lot easier later on for her.
“Yeah like your only thinking about her feelings” he muttered.

Well she seemed happy enough on stage last night. Maybe she was over him. Maybe he had to move on too. Courtney had been badgering her about a date, but so far he’s told her to go away. Maybe he should accept…
No…he couldn’t. She may have gotten over him…but he couldn’t get over him.

Maria twiddled her fingers. She’s been told she could see the doctor at the very end of the day, which Maria was surprised at since she knew the standard of the NHS.

She was nervous. Somehow…she just knew the outcome of this was not going to be good. She picked up a magazine and flicked through it. Within thirty seconds she put it down again.

And then she saw a doctor come into the room. Maria looked up hopefully.

“Mar…y West”

Maria sighed as the only other patient in the room…an older lady… got up and followed the doctor.

“Come on…” she muttered.

She started to hum “Not supposed to Love anymore” but was distracted when she saw a doctor moving around behind the glass doors….

And then he left again,

Maria started tapping her foot, half voluntarily, half because she was shaking now.

“Maria DeLuca room 3”

Maria sighed as she heard he name come over the tanoy. She finally got up and opened the glass doors before walking towards room 3.

Liz finished her last bite and put her cutlery down. Taking her napkin she dabbed her mouth. “Max that was incredible” she said. “Really….I think you should be teaching me!”

Max laughed. He got up and started removing plates.
“What about those three?” she asked indicating to the doors. “Don’t they want anything?”

“I think they ate earlier” he replied.

Liz nodded. “Ok…well I’m going to wash my hands and check my make up” Liz said as she wheeled herself across the room.

“Ok but you don’t need it!” he called after her as he put the dishes in the sink and started to wash up.

Max hummed to himself happily…she loved him! Liz Parker loved Max Evans! Miracles can happen!

A few minutes later Liz wheeled herself behind him. “Hey”

Max turned around. “Hey. So…I’ll admit…I didn’t make a desert…but we have ice cream and…”

“Actually…I’m not hungry…not for food anyway” she said biting her lip.

Max grinned as he pushed Liz over towards the couch. He carefully lifted her on to it and sat beside her.

“So if you’re not hungry for food…” he asked huskily before kissing her.

Liz kissed him back before opening her mouth slightly. Max immediately deepened the kiss, letting his tongue dance with hers.

She groaned slightly at the feeling. She wrapped her arms around his neck. Max wanted to put his arms around her and pull her closer, but he didn’t want to hurt her. Instead he run his fingers through her soft hair.

“Your hair…it’s so soft” he whispered between kisses. He moved away to kiss her neck.

“Max!” Liz moaned as he continued to kiss her neck, leaving a mark.

And then there was a knock at the door. Liz groaned.

“Maybe they’ll go away” Max whispered as he continued kissing her.

“Max?” a muffled voice said through the door.

Max sighed as he heard his sister.

“One minute” he said as he got up and answered the door.
“Hey” he said quietly. “What’s up?”

Isabel pointed at a bedroom door. “Is he in?” she asked.

Max nodded. “Yeah.” He said moving out of the way to let her pass. Isabel crossed the room and Max closed the door before walking back to Liz. Isabel knocked on the bedroom door.

When she didn’t hear an answer she decided to go in anyway.

Isabel took two steps into the room before stopping. She looked at the man on the bed. The man with the knife in his chest.

“MAX!”

Max jumped up at hearing Isabel’s scream. He ran into the room and saw the body on the bed.

Isabel clung to him tightly. She sobbed into his chest.

“He’s dead Max…he’s dead”
madroswellfan
Roswell Fanatic

Post by madroswellfan »

Chapter 12a

Max looked at the body on the bed as Isabel sobbed…he had to try….to see if it would make any difference…if he was still even slightly alive, it could be enough…and he might be able to bring him back.

He slowly moved Isabel’s arms from him. “Stand in the door” he whispered to her as he walked over to the body. He didn’t want Liz to see any light from the healing…if it worked…
It had to work…

Liz sat on the sofa as she saw Isabel stand in the doorway. She would go over to them, but she was stranded on the sofa and couldn’t get into the wheelchair. She watched Isabel…she had heard what she had said…
Dead…
He couldn’t be…could he?

Max stood by the bed…it had to work….
He slowly put his hand on the wound…if it started to work he could dissolve the knife…
His hands touched the man’s blood. Max cleared his mind and concentrated.

Isabel watched as Max moved his hand away.
The knife was still there.
A sob escaped Isabel’s body. This was her fault….totally her fault…

Max stared at his hand that was covered in blood.

Liz watched as another bedroom door opened. The man that came out walked over to Isabel “You know I’m trying to sleep…..”

Michael stopped when he saw the body.

“Fucking hell…”

Max looked up at him, tears glinting in his eyes. He may not have been close with him…but his room mate was dead…

Michael walked over to Max and removed the blood from his hands with his powers. Max looked at him blankly.

“Max?” Liz asked quietly.

Max and Michael quietly left the bedroom. Max sat next to Liz and nodded.
Liz clapped her hand to her mouth. Max wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a hug.

Michael walked over to the phone and dialled the three digit number.

“Police”

Maria emerged from the doctor’s waiting room. She felt…words couldn’t describe how she felt.

Maria slowly started walking back to the girls block. People from her class walked past her and waved but Maria didn’t even realise she was still moving…let alone people were there.

Barely blinking, Maria stared ahead of her as she walked.

Isabel stood in the doorway. She didn’t want him to be alone…this was all her fault…all of it…

Michael had gone to collect the police when they arrived. Max still held Liz in his arms.

“Go to her Max” Liz whispered. “She needs you” Liz whispered.

Max looked at her. “But…”

“Just go Max”

Max nodded as he got up and walked over to her.

“Issy…”

She just stood there watching his cold motionless body. Max watched her…

The main door opened and Michael followed by two police officers entered.
“Kids give us some room” the guy in front said as he followed Michael. “Chief Constable Valenti”

He walked into the room where the body lay. “Blimey….”

“What do you think Sir?” the assistant chief constable Hanson asked.

The Chief constable sighed. “I don’t know…with these kids could be anything…not ruling anything out.”
Hanson got out some rubber gloves and put them on. He carefully looked in the mans pockets and found a wallet.

“Jesse Ramirez” Hanson stated.

Valenti nodded. “Well the others will get the body…you stay here with it…I’ll talk to the kids.”

He put one hand on the blonde girls shoulder and gently brought her into the main room.

“Who found him?” Valenti asked flipping open his notepad.

The kids all silently looked at the blonde. Valenti wrote it down. “Ok…who are you all?”

“I’m Michael Guerin, this is Max Evans and were the roommates…we also have Alex Whitman…I think he’s in his room…”

“He didn’t come out when you found the body?” Valenti enquired.

Michael walked over to Alex room and checked inside it.
“He’s not here…he must have gone out.”

Valenti nodded. “And you are?” he asked Liz.

“Liz Parker is my girlfriend” Max filled in. “She’s Isabel’s roommate.” he said looking at the blonde. “Isabel Evans, my sister”

Valenti looked up. “Do you two have any more roommates? Are they friends of you all?”

Michael nodded. “Yeah I guess you could say that. Maria Deluca and Tess Harding.”

Valenti wrote it down. “Right…well…I’ll need all seven of you to come to the police station now. I need statements”

Michael looked up. “Even Alex, Maria and Tess?”

Valenti nodded. “I want a thorough investigation”

Michael nodded.

“I’ll call Maria and Alex” Liz said quietly.

“I’d appreciate that” Valenti replied.

More police officers came through the door and Valenti pointed them into the bedroom.

Max slowly got up and put Liz in wheelchair. “We can call them on the way. We can all go in the jeep” Max decided, trying to take control of the situation.

Valenti nodded. “Well I’ll meet you all at the station” Valenti said leaving.

“God Jesse” Isabel whisper quietly as she followed the others out of the room.

Alex looked blankly at the screen in front of him. Tess sat by him watching his progress. The computer was beginning to decipher the language. Tess was getting closer. And soon…soon she would have the information she needed to track down the girl…and put an end to Max’s alternate destiny.

At that moment Alex’s phone began to buzz. Tess made a quiet growling noise. He had to answer that phone…

Tess quickly made Alex turn the computer off and walked him out of the room. They quickly left the building. Once outside the IT suite Tess quickly gave Alex some random memories about going for a walk. She then broke the mindwarp.

Alex shook his head as he came out of it.
“Sorry what were you saying?” he asked.

“Your phone’s going” Tess answered.

“Oh!”

Alex quickly got out his phone. It was Liz…what about her date? He quickly answered. “Liz what’s wrong?”

She heard Liz take a deep breathe.

“Its Jesse…Jesse’s dead.”

Alex stood still. What? Dead?

“What? How?” he asked quietly.

“A…a knife. The chief constable wants us all in…background stuff and everything.”

Alex nodded. “Right…we’re on our way…”

“We?” Liz asked.

“Yeah…Tess and I went for a walk” he answered.

“Oh ok…well I’ll see you there” she replied.

“Yeah…stay safe ok?” Alex said before hanging up.

He looked at Tess…oh God….now he had to tell Tess…
And they were really good friends.

“We’ll be right where?” Tess asked.

Alex swallowed. “The police station…something…kinda happened.”

Tess’s eyes widen. “What? What happened? Is it Max?” she asked, worry coming through her voce.

Alex shook his head. “It’s Jesse”

She looked at him. “What…what about him?” she asked quietly.

“I’m sorry Tess…he’s….he’s dead.”

Tess gasped. She clamped her hand to her mouth.

“No…no!”

Alex put his arms around her. “It’s ok…it’s ok” he whispered. He let her cry into his shoulder. He couldn’t imagine how she was feeling right now.

Maria had reached the apartment building when her phone started ringing. She stopped and took the phone out.

“Hello” she stated.

“Maria…its Liz…”

“Not now” Maria said about to hang up.

“Jesse’s dead”

Maria froze. This day was just getting better and better…

“Maria the chief police officer wants you to come down to the station…

Maria swallowed hard. Jesse….Jesse was…dead.

“…Maria?”

“I’m on my way”

Maria hung up and walked back out of the building, heading for her car.
madroswellfan
Roswell Fanatic

Post by madroswellfan »

Chapter 12b

In the waiting room, four very shaken teenagers sat. Max was between Isabel and Liz. He had tried talking to Isabel…holding Isabel…but it was like she had shut herself down. No emotion left.

Liz looked…drained. Max couldn’t help but think she really needed to lie down.

Michael was being his usual stone wall self, in the corner. Max finally caught his eye and motioned him to follow him. The two stood up and walked aside.

“I’m going to try and get the chief to question Liz first. I don’t think that she’s going to hold up much longer. I’ll take her home and come back whilst Isabel’s in there”

Michael nodded. “So if you decided this, why did you need to speak to me?” he stated before walking back to his seat.

Max sighed. Michael was never easy. Spotting the chide constable Valenti heading his way he walked over to him.

“Hi, I wanted to ask a favour. Liz…the one in the wheelchair, isn’t doing so well…do you think you could question her first? I could take her home and come back….I mean I’m sure you don’t want her collapsing in your station.”

Valenti nodded. “I don’t see why not”

Max smiled. “Thanks”

Max walks over to Liz. “Hey, we’re going to get you to go first then I’ll take you home and come back to do mine” I explain.

Liz looked at him. “Are you sure? I don’t want to be a bother…”

Max just smiled and carefully pushed her wheelchair. “Your not sweetie” he told her as he followed Valenti into his office. He carefully wheeled her to the desk and kissed her cheek. “I’ll see you in a minute”

Max quietly left the room and shut the door.
Valenti gave her a small smile. “Don’t worry Liz…it’s just a normal procedure” Valenti pushed a piece of paper over to her. “Can you sign this for me and fill out your details” he said.

As she did so he turned on his tape recorder and stated “Liz Parker”

He looked up at her, gave another little smile before starting.
“Liz where were you this evening?”

“I was in the apartment from…six onwards” she answered.

“And when was the last time you saw Mr Ramirez”

“Last night at university bar. The eight of us went together”

“And you haven’t seen him since?”

“No”

“How did he seem when you saw him last?” he said as he also wrote her answers down.

“Erm…annoyed I guess.”

“About what?”

“I don’t know…he seemed a bit annoyed at Tess. They’re meant to be really good friends, but after they came back from the bar together she flounced off and he muttered something like “Good”.”

Valenti wrote in bold letters “Tess and Jesse”

Meanwhile outside, Isabel was staring blankly ahead when she noticed movement out of the corner of her eye.
It was Alex who was holding a very upset looking Tess. Isabel kept expressionless but she had to admit it hurt to see them so close to each other.

As soon as Tess was in the room she flung herself at Max.
“Oh Max! Who could have done this!” she sobbed into his shirt.

Max slowly extracted her from himself.
“I don’t know Tess” he said quietly.

Alex had walked over and sat by Isabel. Tess was sobbing about her best friend and yet Isabel….Isabel seemed to be somewhere else entirely.

“Hey…you ok?” he asked.
She didn’t answer. Alex nodded and looked at the floor. Clearly she didn’t want to talk right now.
He looked at Max. “What’s going on?”

“Liz is in there, and then I’ll take her home and come back.” Max said quietly.

Alex looked at him. “Why don’t you just go next and then take her home?”

Michael finally spoke up from the corner and said “Great idea Sherlock. Tess, Isabel and I will walk home shall we?”

Alex thought for a moment before saying.

“Do you drive?” he asked looking at Michael.

“Even better idea! I’ll drive my invisible car!!!”

Michael rolled his eyes before moving back in his seat. Suddenly a pair of keys landed in his lap. He looked up.

“Take my car. I’ll get a lift home with Maria” Alex told him. “Besides I need to talk to her anyway” he added

“Thanks” Max said giving Alex a small smile.

Alex nodded before looking at Isabel. She was still staring. He sighed and looked at the floor.

Valenti switched off the tape recorder. “Don’t worry Liz. We’ll find out what happened”

Liz nodded mutely. She looked…exhausted. Valenti opened the door and stuck his head out. Max immediately stood up and went over to push Liz out.

“Liz I’m going to go next and then I’ll take you home ok?”

Liz nodded again. Max really wanted to take her home right now but…
Alex carefully helped Liz over as Max walked back into the interview room. Valenti gave him a form and a pen and Max started filling it out.

“Max Evans” Valenti stated starting the tape once more.

“Max where were you this evening?”

“I was at the apartment with Liz.”

“And when was the last time you saw Mr Ramirez”

“About half an hour before Liz arrived. He went into his room looking…strange”

“Strange?”

“Yeah…like he was in a bad mood of some sort”

“Who else was in the apartment?”

“Alex and Michael were both in there own rooms…but I guess Alex left at some point because he wasn’t there later”

“Did you not see him leave?”

“No.”

“At any point did you see Michael or Alex leave their rooms?”

“No”

“Did you leave Liz alone at any point?”

Max gave him a questionable look. “What?”

“Was Liz alone at any point?”

“Yeah I went to wash up the dishes and she went to the bathroom” he answered.

Valenti wrote it down quickly.

Outside Alex had sat next to Liz. “Hey…you ok?”

She nodded.

“Don’t worry Liz….I promise that Valenti will find out what’s going on. This will all be ok”

He didn’t spot Isabel’s face twitch.

Michael sat grumpily in the corner. This wouldn’t have happened if Max hadn’t of been looking for his destiny, or maybe if he had entirely and stopped his obsession over Liz.
Max had dragged them over here and nothing was happening. He had given up the search. His girl could be anywhere and they were no closer to finding out the truth than they were back in Roswell.
Michael glanced at Liz. This was all the human girls fault. They shouldn’t have bewitched them. Max and he never should have given Liz and Maria a second glance.
And now he and Maxwell were at the ladies mercy.

Valenti turned off the tape. “You better get Liz home.” He said. “We’ll call you both back in if we find anything more”

Max nodded. “Thank you captain”

“Please call me Valenti” he said with a little smile playing at his lips as Max nodded.

Max left the office and walked over to Liz.

“Lets get you home” he said quietly. Liz gave a very slight smile before Max wheeled her away.

“Thanks Alex” Max said again before leaving.

Valenti looks around.

“Im Alex Whitman, and this is Tess Harding” he told Valenti.

Valenti nodds.

“Michael?”

Michael stands up grumpily and follows him. As the forms already there he starts to fill it out before he’s told to.

“Michael Guerin” he says starting the tape for the third time.

“Michael when did you last see Jesse”

“I don’t know…sometime earlier before Max and Liz had there stupid date and I went in my room.” he replied as he slumped in his chair.

“Did you leave your room after that?”

“No”

“Did you hear any…”

“Look Valenti. I didn’t see or hear anything. I don’t know a damn thing. Why not talk to his girlfriend and the guy he took her away from”

Valenti looked up.

Michael rolled his eyes.

“Isabel. He was seeing Isabel. Originally both Alex and Jesse wanted her affections and she picked Jesse”

Valenti scribbled away furiously and turned off the tape.

“Thank you Michael. Can you send Isabel in?”

Michael nodded curtly, practically jumped out of his chair and walked out to the others.

“Your up Is.”

She stood up, changing her eyesight position to the floor. She walked into the office and once she was given the form started to fill it in.

He switched the recorder on “Isabel Evans”

“Isabel, what time did you find Jesse Ramirez?”

“Two minutes before Michael called” she stated expressionless.

“And who else was there?”

“Max and Liz were in the lounge and Michael was in his room”

“Isabel why did you go over to the apartment?”

“He texted me.”

“You were invited?”

“No. I was worried.”

“Can I see it?”

Isabel fished out her phone and played with a few buttons with her trembling hand.

“For the purposes of the tape the message says “I love you Isabel. I always will. Jesse””

Valenti looked up at her. “Why would a sweet message like this worry you? You are seeing him correct?”

Isabel looked down. “I ended it this afternoon”

Valenti wrote it down.

“Can I ask why?”

“We…weren’t….I didn’t feel that way about him…anymore”

“Do you like someone else?”

Isabel looked down. “Yes”

“Alex?”

“Yes”

“And did you tell him this?”

“No”

“Anyone else?”

“No”

Valenti looked at her.

“Do you think Jesse knew about Alex?”

Isabel shook her head. “No…but when I…broke up with him….he said something…something about “don’t listen to her”.

“Any idea who “she” is?”

“Not a clue” she replied.

Valenti gave a funny look before writing it down.

Outside the 8th interviewee finally arrived.
Maria walked over and sat down.

Alex gave her a hug.

“You ok?”

“Yeah” she whispered quietly. She sat down in the far corner and Alex sat down beside her.

“Can I get a lift home with you? Michael’s going to take my care and take Isabel and Tess home.”

Maria nodded swallowing hard. He was going to ask her what happened…

And she didn’t even want to believe it herself.

Valenti finally switched off the tape recorder.

“Isabel if anything else comes up we’ll call you in ok? But don’t worry…anything you said about your feelings I wont tell anyone else ok?”

Isabel nodded as a tear fell from her cheeks.

“Is it my fault?” she whispered.

“What?” he asked.

“If I hadn’t of…of dumped him….would he still be here? Did he do this to himself?”

Valenti sighed. “It’s a possibility.” He answered quietly.

Isabel nodded and left the room. She walked back down and sat in the exact position she was in before.

Valenti came out of his office.

“Tess?”

Tess got up shaking and walked into the office. Like those before her she filled out the form and Valenti sorted out the tape.

“Tess where were you this evening”

“Alex and I went for a walk”

“When did you last see Jesse?”

“Last night. We went to the bar”

“You left and Jesse seemed angry…did he tell you why?”

Tess sighed. “Well…he told me someone had stolen his phone” she explained.

Valenti looked up.
“Someone stole his phone?” he said raising an eyebrow.

“Did he have more than one phone? Because he texted Isabel this evening.”

Tess looked at him shocked. “No…he had the one.” she answered.

Valenti wrote it down.

“Did he say anything else?”

“No. Why? You think the person who texted her killed Jesse?”

Valenti turned off the tape and sighed.

“I don’t know yet” he replied. “This….is getting rather complex. So I might have to call you back in”

Tess nodded. “You will find out what happened won’t you… who did this?”

“Definitely”

Tess gave another little nodd.

“Thanks Tess. Can you send Alex in?”

Tess nodded and went outside.

Max carefully opened the girls apartment door and pushed Liz inside.
“Here we are”

Liz smiled. “Thanks Max.”

“Will you be ok?”

Liz nodded. “Yeah. Thank you for bringing me home…and this evening…”

Max gave a little smile.

“Don’t worry about it.”

Max bent down and kissed her gently. “I’m only a phone call away ok?”

Liz nodded.

“I love you Liz” he said quietly as he walked towards the door.

“Max?”

Max turned back and looked at her.

“Yeah?”

“Do you….do you think you can…stay here…I….I don’t want to be alone….”

Max nodded. “Sure”

Liz gave a little smile and took his hand. She slowly took him into her room.

“Can you…put me on the bed Max? I can’t be asked to change”

Max nodded and carefully put her on the bed.

“Max…where are you going to…”

“I’ll be ok in the chair Liz” he told her.

“Are you…”

“Yes. Now try and sleep sweetie.”

Liz gave him a small smile and closed her eyes.

Max walked kissed her cheek, and covered her over. He walked over to the chair.

“By the way…I love you too Max” Liz whispered.

Max smiled and watched her as she tried to sleep.

Valenti began questioning Alex.

“Where were you tonight?”

“I was in my room. And then Tess rang me about going for a walk so I went out.”

“Did you see Max or Liz?”

“No.”

“Alex, how did you feel after Isabel picked Jesse?”

Alex gave a startled look at the question.

“Just following every possibility Alex” Valenti assured him.

“Well…I was upset sure…who wouldn’t. But I saw how he made her happy and that’s what I wanted her most to be…happy.”

“Do you still like her Alex?”

Alex sighed. “Yeah I guess. But I would never kill Jesse if that’s what your getting at. I was with Tess.”

“How come they didn’t see you leave Alex?”

“I don’t know…I just kind of left quickly. I literally walked through the room. I heard someone washing dishes. But I didn’t want to look or disturb Liz and Max, so I just left. I know how much time Max spent sorting out there date this evening”

Valenti wrote it down with a un-readable expression.

Michael sped down the road.

“We need to sort out Max” he told the ladies. Tess was sitting in the back with Isabel in the passenger seat looking blankly ahead.

“He brought us over here and so far how much have we accomplished? Nothing! Nothing at all! We’re here on his destiny quest and so far he’s just been making Bambi eyes at Liz” Michael ranted as he sped down the road.

“Yeah well I said we shouldn’t have come here at all so” Tess shrugged. “Look Michael why don’t you just tell him how you feel? Maybe we can then go home!”

“I somewhat doubt he’ll want to go home now he has Liz” he tells her.

“Well maybe he should think about our feelings for once! Don’t you agree Isabel?”

Isabel didn’t reply.

Michael just continued driving. “Well I’m not going to stand here doing nothing anymore” he told them. “I’m going to make Max see sense. I’m not taking this crap anymore”

Valenti sighed as he turned off the tape.

“Alex we don’t have enough information to arrest you…but I have to tell you at the minute you do look as the most likely suspect. So don’t skip town ok?”

Alex looked up swallowing. “Yes sir”

“If it wasn’t you we’ll hopefully know by morning by fingerprints on the knife”

Alex nodded.

“Can you get Maria through?”

Alex nodded and walked outside.

“Your up” he told her as he sat down. He was shocked. He was there number one suspect. Him. Alex Whitman.

What was he going to do?

“Maria, where were you this evening?”

“I was at the doctors from about six. Alex dropped me off before taking Liz to the apartment. I’ve been there all evening so you can ask them if you don’t believe me” she said sharply.

Valenti nodded. “Ok. Have you seen Jesse since last night at the bar?”

“Nope. Not at all”

“Maria, what was your opinion on Isabel dating Jesse?”

Maria shrugged. “I don’t know. I wished she’d picked Alex as he’s my best friend, but I live with the girl so as long as Alex is ok, which he is, I guess I don’t mind.”

“What about Liz? Is that her opinion?”

“Yeah I guess so.” she replied.

Valenti noticed that she looked very nervous. He switched the tape off.

“Maria are you ok?”

Maria nodded. “Huh? Oh yeah…fine…erm…the doctors told me something and I just…”

Maria trailed off.

“Are you going to be ok?”

Maria nodded.

“Ok well, I’ll call you if we need you for anything else ok?”

“Right”

Maria got up and walked out of the office.

Valenti sighed. He didn’t know what to think. On the one hand…Alex seemed the most likely.
But he a man who was never quick to judge. He would have to wait for the fingerprints…if there were any.

Suddenly a shrill ring sounded through the office. The captain quickly picked it up.

“Captain Valenti”

“Sir we found some evidence on the Ramirez case. I’ll bring it over right now” Hanson told him.

“Good. Cos at the minute this looks very confusing” Valenti told him.

“I’m on my way”

Maria and Alex sat in the car as Maria fumbled with the keys to her car. Alex immediately grabbed the keys and looked at her.

“Maria what happened” Alex stated.

Maria just looked at her lap.

“Maria?”

Maria whispered something that Alex couldn’t hear.

“What?”

Maria looked at him, tears in her eyes.

“I’m pregnant”
Last edited by madroswellfan on Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madroswellfan
Roswell Fanatic

Post by madroswellfan »

Chapter 13

Alex stared at her. Pregnant? His little Maria was pregnant?
Maria put her face in her hands and started sobbing.
“Oh Maria…” Alex said softly as he leaned towards her to hug her. Maria quickly moved into his arms and sobbed into his shirt. Not knowing what else to do he gently stroked her hair.

“I…I….don’t know….what to do” Maria sobbed. “Michael won’t…want anything to do with….with…”

“Sh….” Alex said comfortingly. “We’ll sort something out. I promise” he told her.

Maria continued to sob into his shirt for a long time. When her sobs finally receded, Alex said
“Come on, let’s get you home. I’ll drive.”

Maria gave him a very small smile and got out of the car to swap seats.

Michael screeched Alex’s car to a halt as he came into the car park for the girl’s building.

“Perfect timing” Michael muttered.

The girl’s eyes followed Michael’s gaze to see a dark haired guy coming out of the building.
Michael jumped out of the car, with Tess following close behind.

“Have a good time with your fling Maxwell?” Michael said as he marched over to him.

Max looked up. Michael looked pissed. This can’t be good Max decided.

“Michael she’s not a fling. We’ve all had a long day so let’s just…”

“No Maxwell, right now is a perfect moment to discuss your priorities.” Michael said raising his voice.

“Liz, my girlfriend is my priority,” Max replied trying to remain calm.

“You say that now you’ve dragged us half way around the world on YOUR destiny quest!” Michael shouted going right up in Max’s face.

“I know what my destiny is! I don’t need some stupid book to tell me”

Tess smiled as she approached. “So you’ve finally decided its me” Tess said. “It’s about time…”

“MY DESTINY is Liz,” Max shouted, losing his temper.

“No Max. Your destiny is with us Michael yelled back.

“And yours is with Issy! I don’t see you stepping up!”

Michael seethed.

“At least I’m not in my own world, banging a human chick”

Max raised his arm to throw a punch at Michael when

“STOP IT!”

Isabel, having gotten out of the car at the sounds of shouting, grabbed Max and pushed him away from Michael. “STOP IT!” she shrieked again.

“JESSE IS DEAD! AND YOU'RE THROWING PUNCHES!”

Max and Michael stood there in silence as they saw Isabel finally show emotion.

Isabel turned to Michael.
“Michael I know you’re angry but can you not do this another time?”

Michael looked at her, turned on his heel and stormed off to Alex’s car. He jumped in and floored it, quickly leaving them far behind.

Tess walked slowly up to Max.

“Your wrong about her Max” she stated She stood there for a brief moment before walking past him, and going inside.

Isabel and Max stood there in cold silence.

“I’m sorry Is…”

“No Max.” Isabel interrupted him. “You’re not.”

She looked at him squarely in the eyes. “He’s right you know. You changed the rules in the middle of the game, how did you expect him to react?”

“Is…”

“No Max, you listen to me for once. Jesse is dead.” She stated, standing tall and just looking at him.

The next moment she crumpled to the floor, sobbing.

Max quickly bent down to comfort her.

“NO!” Isabel yelled. “Stay back!” she shouted as she continued sobbing.

Max stood there not sure what to do.

“It’s all my fault. It’s all my fault!” Isabel said through he sobs.

Max shook his head and quickly said “No Is”

“Yes Max! It’s all my fault! I killed him!”

Max blinked. “Is?”

“Not physically…” she said sobbing, “But I practically gave him the knife….I gave him the knife to do it….”

“Isabel, what are you talking about?” Max asked quietly.

“I….I….” Isabel said through her sobs. “I dumped him…..this afternoon.”

Max stood there for a moment before saying “And you think it happened because….”

Isabel continued sobbing giving Max his answer.

“Isabel that doesn’t mean…”

“No Max” Isabel interrupted again. “It does. He did this to himself. He told me that I was his…that he wouldn’t let me go….if I hadn’t of dumped him….if I had listened….”

Isabel dissolved back into loud sobs.

“Isabel” Max said quietly as he sat in front of her. “This is not your fault. He may not have done this…”

Isabel looked up at him through her red eyes.

“Oh great! Someone killed him! Is that what your saying? Someone’s walking around saying ‘I know, let’s kill Jesse Ramirez today!’”

“Isabel I know this is hard….”

“Max just stop ok!” Isabel said angrily. “Stop. You have no idea. You have Liz. I have nothing. I dumped a guy and the same day he either took his own life, or was murdered.”
And Alex doesn’t like me anymore she added silently.
“You CAN’T understand Max”

Max swallowed. “Your right. I don’t know what you’re going through….but as your brother I want to help.”

Isabel slowly got to her feet, her whole body trembling.

“You can’t”

Isabel stood there for a moment, just looking at the floor. She swallowed before slowly walking inside the building and out of Max’s sight.

Max kept sitting on the ground for a moment, before standing and walking back to the jeep. He sighed. He knew Michael was mad at him…but why couldn’t he see that he had finally found what he was looking for…
Someone he loved, and that someone loved him back.

Thinking about Liz was like medicine. It could make him feel slightly better, no matter what. The mere thought of her made his heart flutter; made him feel that everything was going to be all right. And maybe he was being slightly selfish…but Liz meant everything to him.

And besides…no matter how much Michael denied it….Michael liked Maria. That’s what this was really about… Michael liked Maria and had decided he shouldn’t go for it. And was therefore annoyed that Max had.
But Max knew Maria liked Michael. And the sooner Michael realised that destiny was not the be-all and end-all of his life, he’d realise that he can be happy with Maria. And until he did realise that…Michael was going to continue being like this.

Max jumped into the jeep and started driving away.

The thing was…Isabel. He wanted to help her. But she had told him he couldn’t.
Max couldn’t help but wonder why Isabel had dumped Jesse. He had thought they were doing ok… but then again, he hadn’t exactly been paying much attention when Liz was around.

Right now, he could only think of one person who might be able to help Isabel…
The question was….would he still want to?

At that moment, a red Jetta drove in the other direction past Max’s jeep, heading for the girl’s apartment. Alex and Maria had driven back in silence. Maria had been lost in her own thoughts, and Alex had been concentrating on getting Maria home before taking action.

Alex drove into the car park and drove neatly into a bay. He put the handbrake on and looked at Maria.

“Thanks Alex” Maria said quietly.

Alex nodded. “Don’t worry about it”

They sat there in silence for a few minutes before Alex broke it. “Maria…can I borrow the Jetta to…”

Maria just nodded. “Of course.”

She slowly got out of the car. Before shutting the door she stopped and looked back at Alex. “Thank you Alex…for everything…”

Alex got out of the car and crossed over to her enveloping her in a hug. “What are best friends for” he said quietly.

Alex stood there for a while, just wanting to hold her and protect her from the world.

Eventually Maria pulled away.
“We’ll sort this out Maria. Don’t worry” Alex added quietly.

Maria gave a very slight nod, biting her lip.

“Goodnight Alex” she said before turning around and walking inside.

“Night Maria” Alex said as he watched her go inside and out of his sight line.

Once she was gone, Alex jumped in the car. Now Alex was going to step up. Now he was going to do something he should have done a long time ago.

Alex quickly drove off, heading for the boys building.

After Isabel had let her self into the apartment she immediately saw Tess waiting for her.

“Isabel I need to tell you something” Tess said quietly.

Isabel walked over to her. “Look Tess unless this is important...”

“I think Jesse was murdered” Tess interrupted.

Isabel swallowed “No Tess. You have no proof of that…”

“Isabel, Valenti told me that Jesse texted you this evening”

Isabel blinked surprised that the sheriff told her, and hoped he hadn’t told her anything else.

“Tess that really doesn’t have anything to do with you…”

“Jesse told me last night someone had stolen his phone”

Isabel stood still. Someone had stolen Jesse’s phone? That text wasn’t from him? She stood there a moment, whilst her brain processed what Tess had said, and then came up with a conclusion.

“Maybe he just misplaced it and he found it today”

“Isabel I think…”

“I DON’T WANT TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK!” Isabel yelled at her. “JESSE WAS NOT MURDERED!”

Isabel stormed out of the room and locked herself in her room.

Valenti heard a knock at his door. “Yeah?”

Hanson walked in wearing gloves and carrying a large black plastic bin liner.
Valenti sighed.

“Any sign of a mobile?” Valenti asked.

Hanson shook his head. “No mobile.”

“Anything on the knife?”

“No prints. But…the knife is part of a set that every dorm room is equipped with, and it wasn’t from the boys dorm, as there knife is still there”

“Well its not like this was suicide then…anything else?”

Hanson carefully took out some pieces of what looked like cloth from a bag.
“What on Earth is that Hanson?”

“Well sir, it appears to be some sort of duvet….but as you can see sir its been…well… ripped up.”

Valenti sighed annoyed. “I can see that. What do you think by it?”

“Well sir…theres also what looks like pillow feathers…its as if someone took a knife to the duvet and pillows and literally destroyed them”

Valenti raised an eyebrow. “Whered you find them Hanson?”

“Back of his wardrobe sir.”

“Maybe…he did it because he was angry” Valenti said slowly.

“That’s what I thought…till I saw these”

Hanson put his hand in the bag and took out some plastic wallets containing pieces of paper. Valenti took the police evidence wallets and looked inside.

“Stay away from Isabel. Or else” Valenti read aloud. Looking at another he said “Keep away from Isabel. Or else. I mean it”

Valenti gave a sudden look of realisation.

“Sir?” Hanson asked.

“This handwriting…I’ve seen it before”

Michael strode up to the apartment and was immediately stopped by an officer.
“What do you think your doing?”

“I live here. Michael Guerin”

The officer nodded, but didn’t move. As Michael tried to get by him, the officer put out his hand to stop him again.

“Look buddy I live in there!” Michael said furiously.

“It’s a crime scene. I can’t let you in.”

“What? So where exactly am I meant to sleep?” Michael said furiously.

“I was to told to tell you… a Mr Evans and a Mr Whitman to go talk to the guy downstairs. He’s waiting for you. He says he’ll get you temporary accommodation.”

“I don’t want flipping temporary accommodation I want my stuff!” Michael said furiously.

“Sorry I can’t let you in” the officer repeated.

After ten minutes of Michael asking again and again for the officer to at least get him his metallica CD, Michael gave up. He gave an angry, irritated noise and stormed downstairs. He didn’t want any ruddy “temporary” accommodation! He would just sleep in Alex’s car or something.

As he stormed out of the building he saw the jeep pull into the lot. Michael sighed. He had to admit…Isabel had made him feel rather guilty about yelling at Maxwell after Jesse…but he still wanted to knock some sense into him.

Michael stormed over to the jeep.

“We’re not allowed in. Crime scene” Michael stated as Max jumped out.

“Oh” Max said. “So we’re meant to…”

“Go talk to some guy downstairs” Michael said. “Now….on to the more serious stuff.”

Max sighed. “Michael…”

“Maxwell listen to me alright. Ok…you have Liz. And I get that’s what you want. Fine. But what I don’t get is that you dragged us over here and as far as I’m aware you haven’t even attempted looking for her. Or am I wrong?” Michael asked crossing his arms.

“Yeah alright I haven’t” Max admitted. “But…”

“Maxwell no buts ok. We came here with you. And so far all you’ve done is study and get a girlfriend”

“Michael to be honest, I think those are perfectly good things to have done…”

“Maxwell, if you want to play happy girlfriend/boyfriend with Liz, fine. But I’m not going to stand here if there maybe someone else like us out there. Where’s the book?”

The two guys looked at each other.

“Maxwell do not tell me it was in the apartment” Michael stated.

Max didn’t answer.

“Great!” Michael exploded. “Wonderful! The police are going to get there hands on an alien book! Fucking fantastic!”

“Michael keep your voice down. They might not even find it…”

“Yeah right Maxwell. We’re done. We need to get out of here”

“What?” Max looked at him.

“They’re going to find out about us. The four us need to leave now.”

“I’m not going anywhere Michael. They won’t find it…”

“YEAH RIGHT!” Michael yelled. “Maxwell we need to leave. Or else we’re going to be studied and prodded. Imagine what Liz will think when she finds out her boyfriends an alien….”

Max just looked at him.

“Maxwell…….” Michael said warningly. “Do not tell me you told her! DO NOT TELL ME YOU TOLD HER!” he thundered.

“No Michael I haven’t” Max answered. “Yet”

“YET!” Michael yelled. “WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN!”

“That I want to! I love her Michael”

“Maxwell! You have a destiny! We came here FOR YOU!” Michael yelled.

“Michael we don’t have to follow what that dumb book says! I know you like Maria, and if you let her in for once, maybe you wouldn’t be yelling and wanting to leave!”

“Maria is not my destiny and we can’t tell them the truth! Maxwell WAKE UP!” Michael shouted.

At that moment a screeching Jetta drove into the car park. Michael looked up as he saw the red Jetta and his heart immediately started pounding. Maria…

When the Jetta suddenly stopped a few feet away from him he saw it wasn’t Maria, Michael started breathing again.

But when Alex quickly opened the Jetta door and slammed it shut after him, Michael saw the look on his face.

“Do you have any idea what you’ve done to Maria!” Alex yelled and immediately punched Michael’s jaw hard.

The results of this punch were instant. Michael landed hard on the ground, having been swept off his feet by the effect of the punch. Alex meanwhile was grimacing about the nasty pain in his hand.

“WHAT THE FUCK?!” Michael yelled as he jumped to his feet. “WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ON ABOUT!” Michael shouted.

“American idiot” suddenly filled the parking lot and Max quickly grabbed his phone.

“Hello?”

“Max, its Valenti”

“YOU! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT!” Alex yelled.

“Hang on” Max told Valenti before covering his phone with his hand and yelled “STOP! It’s Valenti”

Immediately Alex and Michael stopped and looked at Max. Max went back to his mobile.

“Sorry….” Max said.

“Max, we found something”

Max blinked. Oh God…not the book…please not the book Max thought.

“Max, we think we know who murdered Jesse. We’re going to get them and the proof now.”

“I hate braces!” Maria complained.
“Don’t sweat Maria, it makes you look cute!” Alex told her calmly.
BRIGHT LIGHTS
“MOVE!” Liz screamed.
“LIZZZZZZ! NOOOOOO!”

Liz jerked awake, taking deep breaths. Even when she was in a deep sleep, the dreams still haunted her. Even when she had had such a brilliant moment with Max earlier and such a terrible moment when she found out about Jesse…

Liz ran her fingers through her hair as she tried to calm down. It was just a dream. The car had hit her. It wasn’t going to hit her again.

When Liz’s breathing finally slowed, she realised Max was gone. But she hadn’t really expected him to stay. Just to make sure she was ok whilst she tried to sleep.

And now she was well and truly awake. And she didn’t think she would be sleeping again anytime soon.

It was then she heard the sobbing noises coming through her wall.

Liz slowly manoeuvred herself off the bed and onto her chair. Slowly she wheeled herself out of her room and knocked on Maria’s door quietly.

“Maria?” she whispered before opening the door. She looked at Maria’s bed where Maria was lying down, sobbing into her pillow.

“Oh Maria…” Liz said as she wheeled herself into the room and reached for Maria’s hand. “I know it’s horrible, but at least he’s in a better place now…”

“It’s not that” Maria whispered.

Liz gave her a confused look. “Maria?”

“I’m pregnant”

Liz’s mouth opened slightly, but Liz quickly stopped it before Maria saw. Thankfully Maria was still sobbing into her pillow.

“Are you…sure?”

Maria nodded. “Doctors told me” Maria whispered as she cried.

“Oh Maria…” Liz said as she held Maria’s hand.

“God Liz what am I going to do…Michael won’t want this baby. And what about my studies?”

Liz looked at her biting her lip. “Well…I guess you could always abort it…”

Maria looked up from her pillow. “I can’t Liz… I can’t. No matter what happens I can’t just…stop a life. This baby…it’s my responsibility”

Liz nodded and gave her a small smile. “Well you know Uncle Alex and Aunty Liz are always here to help…”

Maria gave a small smile. “Oh God…I’m going to be a mother….Oh god my mothers going to be a granny! She’s going to kill me!”

Liz let out a very small laugh. “Oh Ria….come here….”

Ria moved over to her and they embraced.
Things were never going to be the same…

Max sped down the streets in his jeep. Michael was up front and Alex was in the back.
“Max what exactly did he say?” Alex asked. But Max ignored him and sped up. He had to get there and find out what Valenti meant. He hadn’t said who he thought it was…just to go to the girls apartment now.

Max pulled into the parking lot and quickly the three jumped out of the jeep. Max ran inside, with Alex right behind him. Michael was bringing up the rear at a somewhat slower pace. Max and Alex ran inside and up the stairs.

It was as Michael was about to go through the outside doors when he heard the police sirens. Michael went inside and caught up with Max and Alex as Tess opened the door for them after Max had been pounding on the door.

Tess looked surprised at such an early morning wake up call.

“What’s going on? What….”

The three guys entered the room as Maria and Liz emerged from Maria’s room. The human girls looked at the guy that held their individual hearts, whether they knew that or not.

“Max what’s going on?” Liz asked not liking the look on Max’s face.

“Valenti called. He said…he said someone murdered Jesse and that they were….they were bringing them down now, and to get here quickly”

There was a stunned silence. Maria finally dragging her eyes away from Michael looked at Max. “What does that mean?”

“I don’t know.” Max said swallowing hard.

At that moment they heard a rushing of feet and soon after saw Valenti, Hanson and a few other officers.

“Ok kids…I need you guys to stay calm for me…I just need to do a search ok before we do anything alright? Just stay still and everything will be alright” Valenti said as he crossed the room with Hanson behind him. The officers remained where they were.

Valenti looked over at the kitchen at a knife set where one knife was missing.

Isabel came out of her room and looked around. “What…”

“Stay there please Isabel” Valenti said as he crossed the room and entered one of the girls’ bedroom. Hanson followed him.

Isabel looked over at Alex, scared. What was going on? Why was Valenti searching that room?
The teenagers looked at each other, none of them speaking.

Michael looked around at Max thinking that they’d found the book and this was some elaborate way to get them all in the same room so they could take all four of them away to be probed and God knows what else.

A minute later Valenti came out of the room. Everyone looked over at him as Valenti opened his hand revealing the late Jesse Ramirez’s phone.

Isabel gasped. It was true? Someone had stolen his phone…and murdered Jesse?

Isabel watched as Valenti walked over to the girl whose room he had been searching.
The girl was shaking violently; Out of anger, or fear the others couldn’t tell.

Valenti went behind and quickly took her wrists behind her back and cuffed her.

“Liz Parker I’m arresting you on suspicion of the murder of Jesse Ramirez.”
Last edited by madroswellfan on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
madroswellfan
Roswell Fanatic

Post by madroswellfan »

Chapter 14

Liz looked around in alarm. She felt like the room was collapsing in on her. She could feel all the officers’ eyes on her. But what was worse, was knowing that all the teenagers were looking at her too.

Alex stood there, his eyes widening in a look that said he thought he was dreaming, as such things couldn’t happen to his best friends.

Isabel wore a look of confusion. It was clear that she didn’t think Liz was capable of murder, but there was a slight look of relief on her face.

Michael was one of two people in the room who wasn’t entirely concentrating on Liz. His eyes kept flickering over to Maria in a look of concern. Whether he thought she had done it or not, Liz couldn’t tell.

Maria was clearly in total shock. Her body was shaking violently, with one hand to her heart, and the other wrapped protectively around her middle.

Tess was showing signs of anger. She was the only other person in the room who wasn’t totally focused on Liz. Her eyes were narrowed at Liz and kept shooting looks to Max that clearly said “I told you so”.

But it was Max that Liz looked at.
It was Max who had the most masked face.

“I swear I didn’t do it!” Liz protested. “Max you know I didn’t do it. Max?”

Max stood there, his feet rooted to the spot, his face showing no emotion, much like his sister earlier.

Valenti coughed and continued. “You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do say may be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney…if you can not afford an attorney, one will be provided for you.”

Liz pleaded with her eyes to Max. She just wanted a reaction…an indication to show what he thought.

Alex walked over to Valenti angrily. “Let her go! What evidence could you possibly have against Liz! You’re basing this on a phone?!?”

“A phone that texted Isabel right before she went over to find him dead…” he points over to the knife set, “The murder weapon was taken from this apartment…and Jesse had been the reciprocate of threatening messages that are in Liz’s handwriting.”

“That’s BULL!” Alex yelled angrily. “How could Liz kill Jesse?! She’s in a wheelchair!”

“We believe Jesse was asleep and…”

“WHAT’S HER DAMN MOTIVE!?!” Alex shouted at him, his hands curling into fists.

“She wanted to make sure you ended up with Isabel. She wanted you two to be happy and together…”

“You have GOT to be KIDDING ME!” Alex bellowed taking another step towards Valenti.

Valenti looks round at Hanson. “Take her” he said calmly with a nod towards Liz. He turns back to Alex. “Mr Whitman we have significant evidence and I would suggest you calm down unless you want to spend a night in a cell, where you wouldn’t be helping Liz or anyone else”

Alex swallowed; his hands still in fists. He slowly uncurls his hands, still looking at Valenti angrily. He would get Liz out. But he couldn’t help her from in a cell.

Hanson moved towards Liz and took the handles of the wheelchair. Liz’s eyes still remain locked on Max. “Max…please…” she says her heart breaking.

Hanson slowly escorts her towards the door. Her head swivels so she can continue to look at Max. The world seemed to go into slow motion, her exit from the room seeming to last for a millennium.
“Max” Liz mouthed, her voice refusing to work.

But Max was deadly still. As if he was somewhere else entirely.

Hanson rounded the corner and disappeared with Liz from the teenagers’ sight. Immediately Maria collapsed into sobs. Alex quickly put her arms round her protectively as her knees gave in and bring her to the ground. Alex held her tight, allowing her tears to be soaked into his shirt. Alex’s silent tears trickle down his cheeks.

Michael looks over at Isabel. She is staring at the ground. He slowly moves towards her, and she looks up at him. “She didn’t…”
Michael nods. “I know” he replied quietly. He gently put his arms around her in a protective hug. “This isn’t your fault Isabel. We’ll get through this. Together” he murmurs in her ear.

Tess is still looking at Max. “Max?” Tess said as she tilts her head. Max immediately blinks as though coming out of a trance. Without saying another word he walked out of the door, letting it close behind him.

9 AM
Maria walked steadily into the prison. She had finally managed to give Alex the slip…he had nodded off on her bed at the girls apartment, his arms still around her. She had to see Liz. She couldn’t wait any longer. And she didn’t want Alex to be with her right now.

Alex needed his sleep, and she just wanted a few moments with Liz alone. She knew how much her heart must be breaking when Max hadn’t defended her last night. Plus, she figured Alex would want to talk to Isabel when he woke up. He would want to make sure she was okay too. She had after all lost her boyfriend last night.

Maria approached the desk and is immediately met with the eyes of one of the officers who had been at the scene last night. She swallowed, meeting his gaze evenly. He looked back at her for a moment before getting up off his chair and unhooking some keys from his waist. He walks around from behind the desk. “Follow me” he told her quietly.

Maria watched as he unlocked a door. She followed him through it and then saw him lock it behind her. He then led her through a maze of corridors.
“It’s not visiting hours yet” he said quietly as they walk. “But the captain said you might come by, and I was to let you in…but for fifteen minutes okay.”

Maria doesn’t answer. He led her to a door and opened it. Maria holds her breath as she sees Liz is in corner of the dark room. Her hair was a mess and dark shadows forming beneath her eyes. Maria rushed into the cell and ran over to her, throwing her arms around her.

“Oh Liz” Maria murmured as tears leak down her cheeks for the umpteenth time today. Liz slowly put her arms around her, tears finally escaping her eyes. Liz had been staring at her feet since she had been pushed out of the girl’s apartment, her heart broken. The officer closed the door, the noise of keys jangling in the door being emitted as he locks the door.

After a long time, Liz slowly released Maria and looked at her. “Max?” she asked quietly.

Maria just gazed back at her, communicating without saying anything. Liz silently nodded and looked away, tears still flowing down her cheeks. Maria slowly cuped her cheek and slowly made Liz face her again. “Listen, we are going to get you out of here, okay.”

Liz swallowed and said quietly, “I was set up. I never wrote anything to Jesse. Ever”
Maria nodded slowly. A moment later she looked up at her, a look of realisation on her face.
“Tess. It’s got to be Tess Liz”

Liz looks at her evenly. “I know she hates me Maria but surely she wouldn’t murder Jesse and frame me for it. She can’t be THAT bad, surely…”

“Liz wake up and smell the roses” Maria demanded. “Think about it. She wanted you out of the picture. What better way to make you look like you killed him…?”

“Maria come off it. She was best friends with the guy. Why would she kill Jesse. It doesn’t make any sense…”

The door behind Maria made a loud noise and opened once more. “Time’s up I’m afraid” the officer murmured. Maria looked at her for a long moment before kissing her cheek. “We will get you out Liz. I swear it” she said quietly before going towards the door. She walked backwards so she can continue looking at Liz as she left. Liz looked back at her, terror sketched on her face. She didn’t blink as she stared back at Maria until the door closed, leaving her alone once more.

10 AM
Michael had laid uncomfortably on the coach overnight. He knew Isabel would have let him share her bed last night, but he couldn’t do that. Not with Maria in the apartment. Somehow he felt like she would take it as another hit against her right now, and he didn’t want her to suffer anymore pain. After a fitful sleep, Michael had been staring at the ceiling after seeing Maria leave. He had been asleep until he heard her bedroom door open. He only realised it was her and not Alex once she had reached the door. He had wanted to go after her, to make sure she wasn’t alone right now…but he figured if Alex had left her alone then she would want space right now. He would just be more of a burden.

So here he was, staring at ceiling… wondering how he could help get Liz out of prison.

Yes he wanted to help, believe it or not. He felt strangely rooted, as if something kept him here in England. A ridiculous concept, but true none the less. He looked over at the clock on the wall and saw it had just gone ten o’clock. He sighed as he swung his legs off the couch and stood up. He wanted to check the book was still in the apartment. He needed to know that the police hadn’t rummaged around and found that. They really didn’t need another problem at the moment.

Michael walked out of the door and down into the parking lot. The Jetta was gone…but the jeep was still there. Michael looked at it for a moment, trying to figure out why Max would leave it there. He crossed over to it to see if Max had slept in it…
But he hadn’t. He was extremely tempted to get in it and use his powers to start it so that he can take it back to the apartment.

But he couldn’t. No matter how much he hated Max right now, between this stupid destiny, him being a selfish pig and then leaving him to comfort Isabel yesterday after not even muttering a word to Liz… the guy clearly had issues at the moment. So he sets off, walking towards the apartment. He takes about ten steps before…

“Michael!”

Michael rolled his eyes before looking round at the girl who was racing to catch up with him. “Tess I need to get back to the apartment I have to…”

“Pack?” Tess immediately pitched in, a small smile playing at her lips.

Michael looked at her for a moment, trying to decide if she was joking or not. “Huh?”

“Your packing right? We’re leaving?”

Michael swallowed before saying “No. No we’re not.”

Tess’ nostrils flared angrily. “What? We’re not leaving?! Come on Michael, we need to get out of here. This other destiny is shit, Isabel’s boyfriend was just killed and my roommate was the killer!”

“STOP IT!”

Tess looked at Michael in surprise. She blinked at him, stunned at his sudden outburst.

“Liz was not the killer Tess”

“Michael you heard the Sheriff….”

“LIZ DIDN’T DO IT!” he yelled at her, making Tess take a small step back in alarm. She looked at him as though she’s trying to understand what he’s saying… as if he was suddenly speaking French…which she still didn’t understand…

“Michael, I know you’re upset but we need to leave. Isabel needs to get out of here. We just have to go back to Roswell and get on with our lives…” Tess replied evenly.

“No” Michael stated.

Tess looked at him, her anger coming off her in waves. “What do you mean no?!” she said her voice rising.

“I mean no Tess. We’re not leaving. Liz didn’t do it and I’m going to help them clear her name. And if you cared about Jesse you would want to help so we can find the real killer!”

And with that Michael turned around and stormed off. Tess looked at him as he left. Her eyes narrowed just as they had at Liz. Tess would not take no as an answer. The pieces of the game were hers. She had thought Michael would want to leave…
She cursed to herself, knowing that if Michael didn’t want to leave, Isabel wasn’t going to either.

But no matter…Max was putty in her hands…literally. Besides…she wanted to decode the book before they left. She wanted to make sure who ever Max’s other destiny was, was no longer a threat.

The book…

Michael would be freaking about the book. He would be scared that the police had it. Quick as a flash, Tess ran after Michael at full pelt. She would mindwarp him into thinking it was still there. Even though it hadn’t been there since they had arrived.

11AM

“NOOO!” Alex yelled as he jerked awake, the image of Liz being handcuffed still playing in his mind. He shook his head violently, trying to wake up from the horrible nightmare. Only then did he realise…it actually happened. Jesse was dead. Liz was arrested…

Someone had framed Liz.

Alex looked round the room, realising that Maria wasn’t there. He got up and went out into the main room.

No one.

Liz’s door was now covered in yellow tape, and he could hear movements within. Clearly the police were checking and re-checking for evidence. He looked at the other two bedroom doors. Both doors were shut. Alex stood there for a moment. He guessed immediately that Maria was at the prison. It surely couldn’t be visiting hours, and therefore if they did let Maria in, they wouldn’t let him in too. So he couldn’t help there.

He couldn’t look at Jesse’s or Liz’s rooms to find evidence… so what could he do to get Liz out? He thought for a while before finally drawing a blank. He would need to talk to the Captain…but with his anger so strong towards the guy… he doubted that he could resist swinging a punch at him, like he almost did last night, again.

So he couldn’t help Liz at the moment.

But maybe there was someone he could try to help. Alex slowly walked over to the bedroom door and knocked. He heard no answer. For a moment he re-considered his plan…but he decided to push on. If she was asleep, or not there, he could just leave after all…

He swallowed before slowly opening the door.

Alex immediately saw the girl who had captured his heart, sitting upright on the bed, her face blotchy from crying. She clearly hadn’t slept. She slowly looked up at him. They stared into each others eyes for a long moment. Eventually Isabel looks back down at the floor and Alex’s heart twanged painfully.

He took a deep breath before moving slowly to sit next to her. Isabel didn’t move. She couldn’t help but think that the last guy she got close to ended up dead. And she couldn’t handle it if it Alex died. Then her heart would truly break.

“Isabel…” Alex said quietly. Isabel held her breath, afraid he was going to start blaming her too. Part of her knew she was being irrational…but she couldn’t help it. Jesse was dead.

“I know…we haven’t exactly been close,” he said slowly, “But I just want you to know…no matter what. I’m here.”

Her heart beat faster at his words. “I’ll always be here if you need me” he finished.

Isabel continued to look at the floor for a split second before launching herself at Alex. She wrapped herself tightly around him, loud sobs escaping her.

Alex gently stroked her hair. “Shh” he whispered, “I’m here. Its okay Isabel…he’s in a better place now.”

Alex continued to stroke her hair gently for a long time, until eventually she stopped crying. She slowly extracted herself from him and looks at him tentatively.

“Is there anything I can do?” he asked quietly, hoping she would give him anything to do. He didn’t mind what. Just so he could help.

She swallowed before whispering “Hold me while I try to sleep?”
Alex gave her a very faint smile. She slowly lay down on her bed. Alex had imagined being in the same bed with her since he had met her…but never in a circumstance like this. He nervously lay down next to her and gently put his arms around her.

“Close your eyes” he whispered in her ear. She slowly did so.
“I’ll protect you” he murmured, staring at her as she slowly drifted off to into a very much needed sleep.

3PM

The kids at the park were having a great time. They shouted and called out to one another as they ran away from each other in a game of tag. The parents of the children looked on from benches, talking to one another about the troubles of parenthood. There were two or three adults to every bench.

Every bench that is, except one. In the far corner of the park, a solitary male sat on the rickety bench. The parents steered clear of that bench as it looked liked it was about to break. But the man didn’t know that. He wasn’t exactly looking where he was going when he went to the bench in the early hours of the morning.

He had sat in the same position for the last twelve hours, trying to make sense of the proceedings the night before. Images and words of the captain of police kept replaying in his head.

His girlfriend, Liz Parker, was under arrest for murder.

It seemed like some long twisted nightmare. But it was very real.

Of course Max hadn’t believed it. How could his girlfriend do that…

We also found her diary which contains evidence that Liz had been planning to also kill Mr Michael Guerin for breaking Miss Maria DeLuca’s heart. In a later entry, she plans on what she will do if Isabel did not come crawling back to Alex. I quote, “The bitch will die if she doesn’t treat Alex the way he deserves. I want the best for my best friends, and I will do anything to get it.

Max remembered the way the captain had looked up from the diary, looking directly at him. Every time he saw that image he would feel a cold chill.

Michael and Isabel were next?
No, it didn’t make sense…

“Max you know I didn’t do it. Max?”

The look of anger on her face when she had said those words to him…he could feel his heart constrict. She looked…murderous. As if she was desperate for him to believe her…desperate to know that she could rely on him. And if he wasn’t there to rely on… she would stop at nothing.

That wasn’t the Liz Parker he knew. Part of him screamed out that Liz Parker could never be a murderer…

But everything he had seen…everything he had heard… it was as if everything was different. Everything was against her.

“Max…come on baby…defend me…”

That voice…it was dark. It was cold.
It was threatening.

“A phone that texted Isabel right before she went over to find him dead…” he points over to the knife set, “The murder weapon was taken from this apartment…and Jesse had been the reciprocate of threatening messages that are in Liz’s handwriting. We also found a diary…

The images rushed at him in no particular order. But each was just as painful; because in each Liz wore that same expression of cold calculation.

Max had watched as they took her away. The look in her eyes as she left…
Her eyes were full of anger…hatred…

Max’s heart desperately wanted to believe her. But his brain and his eyes could not. Not after her the way she had spoken to him… the way she had looked at him…

The way she had planned to kill his best friend and sister next.

Max sat there, images flashing before his eyes until the early hours of the next morning. A few people had come over to see if he was ok, but he ignored them. He was too busy watching and re-watching the images in his mind. Exactly twenty four hours after he had arrived at the park, Max finally stood up and walked slowly away and out of the park. He headed home, staring at the ground as he went.

The park was empty now except the homeless, lying on a few of the benches. The only sound was their snores…and the loud snap of the rickety bench in the corner as it broke into pieces; much like the man’s heart who had been the final occupant of the bench.
Last edited by madroswellfan on Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
madroswellfan
Roswell Fanatic

Post by madroswellfan »

Chapter 15

Liz had been in prison for what felt like a lifetime… but was actually a week. But she couldn’t tell anymore. Everything was the same. Same four dirty walls, same old plain food…same old loneliness.

At least this room was slightly better. It was visiting hours, so they had put her in a corner at her usual table. At least the walls were clean in here…even if they were white and had security guards at every point of exit and some police men dotted throughout the room.

But today was different. Maria and Alex always came and visited her during visiting hours. Either together, or one at a time, so that one would come in the morning and one in the afternoon. But Maria had come by this morning…and now she was alone. Maria had said Alex was coming by… but he wasn’t here.

She understood that they had lives and everything and if they didn’t want to come she would understand. In fact she had told them to come less often so they could. But they had both refused point blank. She was lucky to have friends like that.

She heard a door opening and quickly looks up to see if it was Alex.

It wasn’t.

She sighs as she looks back down at the table. She was so sick of this place. She was so sick of her own thoughts. She was so sick of everything.

Why had Maria said a week ago she thought it was Tess? It was often all she could think about. Was Maria right? But why would she do such a thing? She had mad it clear that she wanted Max, but why would she kill her best friend and then frame her for it? It seemed way over the top. Why would a girl do that? It didn’t make sense.

But then who did put her in here? And just as important as these thoughts were to her, another set of questions filled her mind.

Why hadn’t Max come to see her? Did he think she had done it? Didn’t he trust her? Believe her?

Clearly not.

Liz had spent everyday crying. It just didn’t make sense. She wasn’t a bad person. She hadn’t done anything wrong. She went to church, she knew right from wrong…so why was this happening to her? Hadn’t she been through enough? She felt a tear trickle down her cheek.

She heard the door open again, but this time she didn’t bother looking up. It wouldn’t be Alex. He was never late. So therefore he wasn’t coming.

“Liz?”

Liz looked sharply up at the voice and met two eyes she had never expected to come here.

“M...M…”

“Hey” he said giving her a little nod before sitting down. Liz could only look back stunned.

“What are you doing here Michael?” Liz asked quietly. “Not that…not that I’m not grateful…it’s just…I didn’t think we were exactly friends…”

Liz knew exactly how Michael felt about her. Whenever she and…she and Max had been together, Michael would leave the room sharpish. Michael nodded slowly and then shrugged. “I know you didn’t do it so…just…wanted to see how you were”

Liz blinked in surprise. Either Michael had completely changed his personality, or he was lying for some weird reason or…
Her mind immediately tried to see if he could be the killer, but that didn’t make sense. He wouldn’t. Sure, she didn’t really know the guy…but she could see by the way Michael was looking awkwardly at her that it had taken some guts to come here today. And she could guess why.

“I’ve been better” she says quietly before quickly checking that her cheeks weren’t wet. She then looked slowly back at him. “How are things with Maria?”

Michael fidgeted in his chair and didn’t answer. The truth was, every time Michael went to the girls apartment to go and talk to her…he either didn’t make the door…or he saw Tess coming his way. And therefore he legged it before she saw him. She was driving him crazy with talk of leaving…talk of accepting that Liz was the murderer. Which she wasn’t. That much was obvious.

“That good huh?” Liz murmured giving him a small smile. Michael swallowed awkwardly looking anywhere but at Liz.

“I just…” Michael tried to explain…but he couldn’t.

“You love her” Liz finished for him. She tried not to smile, which to be fair wasn’t hard when she thought about her current situation.

Michael looked up at her. Did he love her? He had always told himself that he could never love a human. Sure, he couldn’t be with Isabel, she was like his sister…but he knew that alien and humans don’t mix. That’s why he had broken up with her in the first place. He couldn’t get involved with her. It would be dangerous. She would be at risk…

But then…why else had he gone to the girl’s apartment every week to see her? Why else had he been thinking about her all the time? Why else was he here with Liz? Sure, he was concerned about Liz, a little that is…but he also wanted to show he cared…show he cared to Maria. If Maria was upset, he wanted to help her; which meant trying to help Liz. He hadn’t a clue how yet, but he would find a way. If that’s what it took to make Maria happy…

That’s why he felt rooted wasn’t it. “Oh God…” he mutters so quietly to himself that even Liz couldn’t hear him. He put his face in his hands, annoyed with himself for falling for a human, and yet also for not realising it sooner.

Liz watched him and couldn’t help but feel happy for her best friend. She was pregnant with Michael’s child, and Michael loved her. Sure, neither knew about the other yet…but it was surely only a matter of time. Maria would have to tell Michael she was pregnant at some point…and that meant it would work out. A happy ending was surely for them in theirs sights.

But Liz could see no happy ending for herself. How could she? She was awaiting trial for murder…and her boyfriend hadn’t visited her.

“How’s Max?” Liz asked quickly before she could stop herself.

Michael slowly removed his hands and looked up at her. Liz knew immediately that he believed it. That was he hadn’t come. That’s why he had looked at her like that. He believed she was capable of murder.

She felt like someone had shot her in the chest. Max thought she could actually do this? Max told her that he loved her, and yet…he thought she was capable of murder. The mere thought was enough that she wanted to throw up.

Michael could see the anguished look on Liz’s face and decided to tell her the truth. “I don’t know what’s going on with him. He won’t talk to anyone. He’s spent the last week in his room. He hasn’t even gone to class. Isabel and I have tried to get through to him but it’s like talking to a mute. He’s not really…there”

Michael was really pissed off with the guy. He had even used his powers to unlock the door and demand that Max talked to him. He tried to demand Max went to see Liz. But he had just lain there, staring at the ceiling. As if he was completely unaware of anyone or anything.

Michael had demanded he comforted Isabel….
No reaction.

He had got SO angry at the guy he had grabbed him and pushed him against the wall.
He didn’t even fight back. He didn’t even look at him.

The guy had completely lost it, Michael had decided. And with Maria coming to see Liz everyday, with Alex comforting Isabel, and with Max in his completely strange, “Mummy-like” mode, that left Tess. And Michael would kill Tess if he heard the word “leave” one more time he would be so tempted to blast her into kingdom come!!!

Liz meanwhile was trying to work out where she had lost his trust. What had happened that meant that he could possibly believe that she would do something like this?

She shook her head. Michael clearly had come to visit her because of Maria. And therefore she could think about and cry about Max later. She couldn’t do pretty much anything else the rest of the day. So she might as well help Michael with his problem now.

“Tell her” Liz said quietly.

Michael looked at her with a questioning look. “Huh?”

Liz rolled her eyes. “Tell her how you feel Michael.”

Michael simply looked back at her. Tell her how he feels? And then what? Let her reject him? Or in the unlikely event she’s actually happy about it…then dump her again last time because they couldn’t be? Because he wouldn’t let her get close so that she wouldn’t get hurt.
“I can’t” he said quietly.

Liz sighed and looked at him. “Michael I don’t know why it is you keep pushing Maria away…but the way you feel isn’t going to go away” she told him gently. “You can’t tell your heart who to love. Tell her how you feel Michael. Life is too short. How would you feel if something happened to her and you never got the chance to tell her?”

Michael looked down, deciding not to say anything. He couldn’t tell her. They couldn’t be together. It couldn’t work.

Liz knew he would be thinking about it. She had said her piece, and so there was nothing more that she could say. Besides…if Michael didn’t tell her now, he would end up telling her when she told him about the baby…presuming she told him of course…

Michael and Liz had a long uncomfortable silence until Liz finally said “How’s Isabel?”

Michael looked back up at her. “As well as can be expected. I think she’s still blaming herself though…but she certainly doesn’t think you did it” he adds hastily.

Liz gave a sad smile and a nod. “She said she would come by sometime this week.” Michael continued. “Jesse was buried yesterday”

Liz nodded again. “Maria told me” she murmured. “Maria said they didn’t her or Alex in?”

Michael sighed. “Yeah. Jesse’s parents arranged everything. By the looks of it, Jesse’s parents are rich. They organised everything. The found out from Valenti about…”

“About me being in here” Liz interrupted. “So they didn’t let them in because they thought they would make a scene”

Michael doesn’t say anything before saying “It was a very stately affair. They wouldn’t let Isabel get too involved with the proceedings so she said she would go back today privately.

“Poor thing…Michael, tell her that I totally understand her not coming for a while. I really don’t mind if you guys don’t want to come. Just because the police are ruining my life for no reason doesn’t mean all yours have to be too” Liz replied.

“She’ll come by Liz” Michael told her again. At that moment the bell rang to signify the end of visiting hours. Michael stood up to leave. “Michael…” Liz said quickly.

Michael looked down at her. “Just think about what I said ok… you should at least tell her how you feel. No girl minds being told that she’s loved.”

“Hmm” Michael grunted. He saw the guards approaching to take Liz away. “Take care Liz”

Liz gave him a small smile as a guard gently started to push her away. “Look after Maria for me Michael” Liz called out before she was taken through a door and lead back to her cell. Only when the door was shut did she allow herself to cry.

Isabel shuddered as she walked through the church graveyard. It was deadly quiet, and there was cold wind blowing. She wrapped her coat further around her and walked on to the grave that had been dug only yesterday. She swallowed as she read the gravestone.

“Jesse Ramirez. A beloved son.”

She slowly knelt down and gently placed a single rose on the grave. “Hey” she murmured. She swallowed again, trying to clear her throat. “I’m just going to sit here a while ok?”

She stared at the grave, tears forming in her eyes. There were so many things she wanted to say to him…and she couldn’t get the words out. She had decided exactly what she needed to say…but now she was here…

“I’m so sorry…” Isabel whispered hoarsely before saying louder, “I’m so sorry Jesse” she said as tears trickled down her cheeks.

“Sorry for what?” a voice asked from behind her.

Isabel didn’t turn around. “For everything…it’s all my fault…”

“You know that’s not true Isabel” the male replied quietly. He didn’t move or make a sound except to speak.

“But I shouldn’t have dumped you…”

The male knelt down beside her. “You had every right to dump me Isabel. I treated you badly. And now perhaps you can see why.”

“Your parents always told you how to act…how to treat people. You didn’t know how else to act.”

The male didn’t reply. “But I still shouldn’t have done it…” Isabel continued.

“We both know you’re in love with someone else.”

Isabel took in a shaky breath and nodded. “Your not really here are you? I’m talking to myself” she muttered.

“Then you should really listen, because it’s coming from within you.”

“I know I didn’t love you Jesse…but I hope you know I really do like you. Maybe not the way you wanted. But I do.”

“I think we both know that I knew that and I liked you too... even if I didn’t show you the right way.”

Isabel stared at the grave before her as the figure behind her slowly slipped away in her mind. She slowly moved to touch the grave. “Thank you” she murmured.

She stayed there with him for the next few hours before quietly going back to the apartment, finally feeling more at peace with herself.

She smiled as she watched her puppet work. Finally she was feeling better. Last week had taken a lot out of her. She had been so exhausted she hadn’t been able to use her power. But now she could. She cursed herself that she had spent a week when she could have been decoding the book and hadn’t…but it had been worth it.

But now she was more determined than ever to complete the decoding of the book. She was sure that the text would tell her what she needed to know about where to find Max’s “second destiny”. And when she had that information she would do what was necessary to have that other destiny removed.

She watched Alex’s hands move swiftly over the keys as he worked. She bit her lip as she watched him, remembering one of the images she had seen in his mind. She really wanted to do something about it…but she couldn’t. Not yet anyway. That could come later.

She didn’t want Michael to feel tied here. He was destined for Isabel. If she couldn’t get them together…well…she didn’t care. But she was not about to let him stay here and/or get attached because of this little… “development”.

She would take care of that very little problem later. Now she had other things to deal with. Like this book. She was sure if she made Alex work away like a good little puppet for a few days she could have the book decoded in no time. Unfortunately her powers were still weak, and more importantly, if she did she may run into difficulties when he didn’t visit the disabled idiot in jail.

She cursed when she saw in his head that he had arranged with Maria to see the bitch. But no matter. She would just give him some memories of him being there. And if the little brown haired, doe eyed, human asked…well she would just think she was going mad.

Tess had it all worked out. No one could stop her now. Her destiny was almost secure. And now she would make sure no else could come between her and Max again. She smirked as she thought of Max. Ah yes, Max who was still confused as to the disabled idiot’s guilt. He wouldn’t speak…but Tess could easily sort that out. As soon as the book and the other destiny girl were taken care of she could make him see something that would make him want to return home. Then the four of them would return home, after she had taken care of this new little problem, and then Tess could get back to the original plan.

She oversaw Alex as he worked, and decided she would let Alex go to see the twerp every day, and when ever he wasn’t visiting her, he would be here; working away. And surely that way, the books secrets would be unlocked soon…

The sooner the better as far as she was concerned. The Queen had removed the pawns…and soon she would remove the other Queen and claim the King for herself.

Maria was sick and tired of it.

She still felt nauseous because of the child she carried, but right now, that wasn’t why she felt so bad. No, it was the way Liz looked at her when she asked about Max. She asked everyday, whether Maria had heard from him, whether he was coming…whether he believed her.

And everyday Maria wouldn’t answer. She saw the look in Liz’s eyes and everytime it would make her blood boil as she thought about the insensitive, ridiculous, STUPID jerk that she was in love with. And now she had had enough.

She slammed open the boys apartment door and marched across the room over to Max’s bedroom. She pushed the door hard open, letting it knock hard into the wall. “MAXWELL EVANS!” she yelled at the top of her voice.

The man on the bed didn’t even flinch. His eyes were like glass, just staring straight up at the ceiling.

Maria moved over to the bed so she could stand over him. “Do you have ANY idea what you’re doing to Liz?!?!” she said angrily. “She is completely and utterly in love with you and you haven’t even visited her!!!”

No reaction.

Maria saw red and slapped him hard across the face. “WAKE UP!” she shrieked at him.

Max blinked and finally murmured the first words he had said in a week. “Go away Maria.” His eyes are still focused on the ceiling.

“NO I FUCKING WONT!” she screamed at him. “GOD! She told me you told her that you loved her. And yet you can’t even be bothered to get up and see her!?! What the HELL is wrong with you?!”

“Maria go away”

“MAX! Tell me you don’t think she did it? Tell me RIGHT NOW that you don’t believe it!”

Max doesn’t say anything. “MAX?!”

“I don’t know” he mutters.

“WHAT!?!”

Max took in a breath before saying. “The way she looked at me…”

“MAX! SHE WAS SCARED SHITLESS WHEN THEY TOOK HER AWAY! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!”

Max didn’t reply. Maria growled angrily before leaning in so that she blocks his view of the ceiling.

“I don’t know what has happened to make you like this, but I’m telling you now…if you EVER go near Liz again now, I swear I will kill you myself!” she screamed at him.

He blinks as she accidentally sprays him as she yells venomously. But other than that…he doesn’t respond.

Maria straightens up and heads to the door. Before using it, she stops and turns back towards him. “You know what Max…I thought you were different. I was so glad that Liz had found someone nice that loved her for her. I was so glad that you loved her in a way that I could only dream that Michael could love me.”
She swallows before saying. “But I was wrong. You’re just like every other jerk male out there.”

She turns back towards the door. “Liz doesn’t deserve a nasty piece of work like you”

And with that she walks out of his room and out of the apartment. But the only person still in the apartment is so in his own world, he doesn’t hear the door crash shut.
madroswellfan
Roswell Fanatic

Post by madroswellfan »

Chapter 16

“Chica!!!”

Liz looks up and gives a small smile as she sees Maria come through the visitor’s doors, followed closely by Alex. The two quickly come over to Liz’s table and pull her into a big bear hug.

“Are you ok?” Alex immediately asks.

Liz nodded mutely. It had been two weeks now since she had been out in the sun. It had been two weeks since she had been able to cook her own meals…
It had been two weeks since she had seen Max.

Had he forgotten about her? Did he no longer care? No one had even mentioned his name to her since her lawyer had asked her if Max would be a witness. She had shrugged her shoulders and looked away. Would Max want to help her? Or did he want to see her rot? Did he ever mean what he said before she had been arrested? Did he really love her? Because if he did…why was he putting her through this hell?

Her lawyer had said he would write a letter to Max to see if he would. But Liz knew he wouldn’t. How could he after never visiting her? He clearly thought she did it. And that knowledge was worse than being here.

“Liz?”

Liz looked up at Maria. She and Alex had sat down opposite her and had obviously said something to her…but she was too in her own world to notice.

“Hm?” Liz said quietly.

Maria swallows and looks at Alex. “Has anyone else visited you?” Maria asked quietly, crossing her fingers under her desk in the hopes Max had visited yesterday. She had had classes all day and so had missed visiting hours. Whenever she came now she asked if someone had visited her. And it was always the same negative reply…well except that one time Isabel had come to visit her, which she thought was really nice of her. At least one of the Evans’ weren’t stupid.

“Actually…”

Maria looked up hopefully. Could he really have got his stupid backside in gear and gone to see her?

“…I got a letter today from my parents. They said they would visit this afternoon.”

Maria let out the breath she was holding. “Oh that’s great” Maria said quietly.

“Yeah…” she could see the look on Alex’s face that clearly said that he thought they should have come ages ago.

“Alex, you know how busy my parents are. My mom had to find someone to mind the café and dad’s been too busy at the office…”

“I’m sorry Liz, but surely they could have had time off.” Alex said firmly.

“Alex, I told them not to worry or rush. It’s not as if I’m going to go anywhere. Dad couldn’t leave at such short notice or he would be fired and Mum didn’t want to come alone…” she sees the face Alex is pulling. “Really, its fine. They’re coming now and so that’s fine.”

Alex still wasn’t convinced but he said nothing more on the subject. There was along silence. Maria and Alex had tried talking about everything from the weather, even to science…as they would read scientific articles so they had something to talk about.

But conversation was wearing thin. And Liz knew she should try and make an effort. She hadn’t told Maria about Michael’s visit. She had decided not to tell her, hoping Michael would tell her. But clearly he hadn’t or Maria would have brought it up. But Liz knew they both were going to need a push to say to each other what needed to be said.

“Actually…I had another visitor a week ago” Liz said quietly.

Maria looked up at her startled. A week ago? She automatically thought back to when she had gone to see Max. Maybe he had gotten out of his little funk and finally seen her…

But if that was true, why didn’t Liz tell her?

“Liz? Why didn’t you tell me? What did he say?”

Liz looked at her for a moment before she realised that Maria thought Max had been the one to visit. Her heart constricted painfully. She swallowed hard before murmuring “It was Michael”

Alex looked between his two girls realising what that they were talking about. He looked at Maria expectantly. Michael must have come for a reason and that could only surely be Maria. Alex and Michael hadn’t spoken since he had hit him. Michael kept shooting him a mixture of evil looks, hurt looks, jealous looks, worried looks and pretty much any other look except a smile. But then again, no one he knew smiled much these days.

The boy’s apartment had been like a tomb. Max never left his room and Alex and Michael weren’t about to start talking to each other. So the only words that were said in the other apartment were when Tess or Isabel came by.

Tess had been around every day, coming to talk to Michael. He heard them talk/shout for a moment or two before Tess left. He would then go and do homework or go to class or if he hadn’t already gone that day, he would go and see Liz.

And Isabel? She had come round to see her brother or Michael. If he saw her Alex would give her a gentle smile and she would smile back, but other than the odd timid “hi”, nothing more had been said. He didn’t know what to say, and he presumed she would come to him if she wanted anything.

He had felt awful about not being allowed to go to the funeral. He had wanted to be there to keep an eye on Isabel. Just to make sure she was ok, and to pay respects to Jesse. Sure he had been jealous of the guy…but he would never ever want him to die; particularly as he made Isabel so happy.

Maria was sitting there completely stunned. At first she had felt embarrassed that she had thought it was Max and clearly Liz knew that…but then it sunk in. Michael had come to see Liz. Why would Michael come to see Liz? Michael didn’t like Liz. Or at least, he had never said anything to her.

“I’m…”Maria started but Liz quickly interrupted. “It’s fine Maria. I certainly wouldn’t have guessed that he would come and see me either”

Maria continues to look at her before flicking her hair and looking away. “Oh” she said flippantly. Alex looked at Liz and rolled her eyes at him. “Say anything interesting?” Maria then said pretending not to care.

“A few things.” Liz said with a smirk.

Maria sighed and looked at her. “Okay fine, just tell me what he said. No offence hun, but I don’t see Michael coming to see you.”

Liz smiled. “I know. Neither did I. You had said that morning that Alex was going to come by and so I was waiting for him when Michael came in. He…”

“Whoa. Wait a minute. What are you talking about?” Alex interrupted. “When did I not go and see you?”

Liz raised an eyebrow at him. “A week ago” she said simply before adding “Really, its fine. You two don’t have to come everyday you know…”

“But I have Liz. I’ve been here everyday…”

Liz shook her head. “Alex it really doesn’t matter…”

“Yes it does. I was here. I know I was. I come every day” Alex said before looking at Maria. Alex immediately thought that Liz might be confused. Maria meanwhile decided privately that Liz must have imagined Michael had come by.

“Alex I swear. Maria came in the morning and then Michael came in the afternoon!” Liz said looking between them. “Guys come on…you don’t think I’m making this up do you?”

They don’t immediately reply. Alex shifted in his seat awkwardly. Maria swallowed before murmuring “Liz what did Michael say”

Liz smiled before saying “That he believes I didn’t kill Jesse. That he wanted to see how I was…he wanted to find out how you were” she said looking at Maria.

Maria’s heart thudded loudly. “How…how I am?” Maria said slowly. She looked at Alex before turning back to Liz. “Liz, is there a chance you dreamt this hunny?”

Liz’s eyes widened. They didn’t believe her. She looked at Alex, hoping to see that he believed her, but his face said more than words ever could. “Guys I didn’t dream this, I swear! Michael was here!”

Alex and Maria looked at each other before Alex said quietly “Liz, it’s quite alright, we understand…”

“No!” Liz said slightly louder than she intended. “I didn’t dream this. He was here. I can’t believe you guys don’t believe me!” Liz was so tempted to tell Maria what Michael had said to her…but that would ruin it for her. And she would never do that.

Liz looked between them for a moment before turning around and putting up her hand. Instantly an officer came round behind her and took the wheelchair’s handlebars.

“Liz, don’t…” Maria whispered.

Liz just looked at her for a moment before the officer pushed her away and out the inmates’ door.

Alex and Maria got up slowly. Alex scraped his chair noisily as he pushed his chair under the table. Alex walked out of the room, with Maria right behind him. In silence they left the building. Once they reached the parking lot, Maria walked towards her Jetta, but Alex turned to go the other direction.

“Alex?” Maria calls out confused.

Alex stops and turns round to face her.

“Yes?” he says looking at her evenly.

“Don’t you want a lift?” Maria says raising an eyebrow.

“No”

Maria looks at him confused. They had driven here together. She knew Alex was upset but…still…

“Alex, come on, we can be upset together…”

“I want to be alone. I want to walk.” Alex stated before turning around and walking away.

Maria sighed before getting in the Jetta and zooming away.

If only she had turned around, she would have seen Alex leave with a girl that appeared as if from thin air.

An hour later, Tess smirked to herself. She was thinking about how easy it was to manipulate Alex into coming with her and blowing off Maria. And soon her work here at the research department of the university would be over. She watched him type away and couldn’t help but grin as the screen flashed up two words.

Translation complete

“Print it!” Tess commanded as she crossed over to the printer and took out the sheets of paper that came out moments later. She wanted to read this now…but she was very tired from the mind warp and she had to let it go as quickly as possible. She quickly made Alex save the document on to her memory stick before shutting down the computer and following her out of the room. She quickly led him out of the building, down the road and around the corner. She then hid before releasing him.

Alex looked around for a moment and then realised he must have been so into his own thoughts that he had walked past the apartment and several blocks more. He sighed. It felt like he was completely lost in his own little world. He looked down at his watch. Several hours had gone by. He blinked and checked again.

He had been walking that long? And had only reached here? He decided he must be losing his marbles. Quickly, he started walking back to the apartment, deciding he must be sleep deprived or something. It’s only then he realises he missed class. He winces as he hurries away, worrying what his professor would say.

Meanwhile Tess’ eyes quickly scanned the sheets in front of her. The translation was hers. And now she would find out the truth. She ignored most of the stuff about going home, letting her eyes just drift over it. That could be read later. Tess was looking for a name. A name of the girl she was going to dispose of.

She started to worry that there was no name, that this was a completely dead end. Her eyes scanned the paper faster and faster determined to find a name. And then suddenly she stopped, and glanced back at the last two words she had just read.

She stared at the name for a moment, immediately knowing her course of action.

Isabel knocked on the door again, waiting for someone to answer. But no one did. She knew immediately that if Alex was there he would have answered by now, and her heart sank. She sighed before using her powers to open the door. Immediately she heard the T.V. blaring loudly and made and instant bet with herself that Michael was going to be watching that English sport he was addicted to, with a beer in his hands.

She stepped into the room and saw exactly the same as the mental picture in her mind. She rolled her eyes and walked over to the T.V.

Michael hasn’t even looked at her. She snaps the T.V. off, making the half man / half alien growl in frustration. “Hey! I was watching that!” he says, not getting up. Isabel turns sharply towards him. “And now your not. And now you are going to get out of your Maria funk for a while and help me get through to my idiot brother!” she says, her words spiked with anger.

Michael looks up at her and can’t help but give a wry smile. This is what he had been waiting for. Finally, Isabel had lost her rag. And that meant the two of them can finally force him out of stupor, by what ever means necessary.

Michael quickly got off the couch and walked to her side, gave a brisk nod and then walked towards Max’s door. He put up his hand and blasted the door off its hinges. Isabel’s mind immediately thought that maybe it was a good thing that Alex wasn’t here…but then again she would still rather him be here.

Michael strode into Max’s bedroom with Isabel right behind him. They surveyed Max for a moment, who was in his usual same position; lying on his bed, staring rigidly at the ceiling.

Michael raised his hand sharply and let his power smash the lampshade by his bed. As the small pieces of bulb and cloth rained down on his bed, Max moved slightly out of the way not looking away from his spot on the ceiling.

“Maxwell Philip Evans get your butt off that bed right now!” Isabel snarled at him. “I am not taking your stupid, self-pitying little act anymore! Jesse was murdered! And you’re lying there thinking of only your selfish, indulgent self! Do I not mean ANYTHING to you!” she raised her voice, begin to scream at him. “You missed Jesse’s FUNERAL Max! Michael was the one there to comfort me while YOU lay in your own FILTH!”

Max swallowed and slowly turned his eyes to Isabel. Her words cut through him like blades of ice. He had been completely in his own world. He should have been there to help his sister. He should have been there at the funeral, holding Isabel’s hand. And instead he had been there in that…catatonic state. His guilt wore heavy on his heart. He couldn’t believe himself. She was right…he had been completely thinking about himself. And he didn’t even know why.

“I’m sorry” Max whispered quietly.

Isabel looked at Michael surprised that she had gotten through to him. “What?”

Max swallowed again. His voice was husky from not being used. “I’m sorry. You’re right” he murmured. “I’ve been…I’ve been horrible. Terrible even.

“Worse than” Michael added before Isabel shushed him. “Michael” she said warningly giving him a look. They needed to tread carefully. She didn’t want him to snap back into himself now. She wanted her brother back. And she wanted him back right now.

“I know” he murmured looking at the floor. “I’m so sorry Issy…I……Liz….”

There’s a loud crash as a second later Max’s glass of water by his bed smashes, spilling its water all over the bedside cabinet and his bed.

Max looks up at Michael as he lowers his hand. “Get a GRIP Maximillion! Liz DIDN’T DO IT!” he yells at him. The look of bottled up outrage and suppressed feelings fills his face, making Max actually feel scared what Michael would next do. “You wanted to tell her the truth because you loved her, and then when she is framed for murder, you AUTOMATICALLY assumed that it’s true! What the fuck is wrong with you!!!”

Max looks at him. He felt torn in two. It felt like every part of him wanted…or maybe even knew that she couldn’t have done it. And yet…he felt like he had to believe it. Every shed of evidence said it was her….Michael had been next… and then Isabel…he had to protect his sister…

“How can you say that?” Max says quietly.

Michael’s hand instantly rises once more but before he can use his powers his hand is pushed away. Michael looks angrily at Isabel but she simply shakes his head at him. “No” she states. “This isn’t right…”

She looks at Max. Something must have happened to him. This wasn’t the Max she knew. Perhaps he was mad. Perhaps it was something else. But she knew in that moment that she needed to reach out to him. She moved to sit beside him on the bed. Max sat up looking at her, not sure what to think.

“Max, why do you think Liz did it?” she said quietly and firmly.

Max looked at her for a moment before saying, “Isabel you heard Valenti. You heard the evidence. You saw her face…”

“She looked shocked! Horrified! Aghast that you wouldn’t talk to her!” Michael roared at him.

“MICHAEL!” Isabel said furiously. “Shut up!”

Michael looked at her, his eyes widening. “What the hell?! I thought you wouldn’t take this bull shit he’s spewing! He’s broken Liz’s heart for fuck sakes!” he yelled, knowing that part of his anger was for Max’s wrong-doings, but a lot of it was that Maria was suffering because Liz was suffering. And she was suffering because of the real murderer…and Max.

“MICHAEL! Don’t you see it! Something’s going on here!” she yelled at him before turning back to Max. “Max, what do you mean, about Liz’s face?”

Max swallowed before saying quietly, “You know what I mean. You saw her…”

“Max, please…just tell me what you saw” Isabel told him firmly.

Max blinked before saying. “She looked furious. Like she was desperate. Desperate to get me to believe her…or else. Like she would stop at nothing…” Every word he said felt like Liz was stabbing him again and again. “…Like she would do what she said she said she would.”

Michael looked at Isabel, stunned. Isabel was right. Something wasn’t right. Liz hadn’t been like that. Liz had been in anguish. She hadn’t been angry. He froze as he gathered his thoughts for a moment, before moving towards them. “What do you mean she said she would?”

Max looked towards him and murmured “What she wrote”

Michael’s eyes darted towards Isabel for a moment before asking “What she wrote?”

Max looked between them, utterly lost in confusion. “What she wrote. You know…in her diary.”

The other two hybrids stood there looking at him, lost for words. Max eyes looked back and forth between the two of them. “Why are you looking at me like that? You heard Valenti. You heard what he said. You heard how she wrote that she would kill you two next.”

Michael and Isabel looked at each other for a long moment, their faces said all that needed to be said. Isabel looked back at Max before finally saying,

“Max, there is no diary”

A girl strode down the hallway determinedly. The end was near. Her blonde curls whipped around her face as she walked, making her look powerful and strong. But no one was there to see her. The hallways were empty and deserted. She marched on determinedly, the image of her about to destroy a human whirling in her mind.

Today was the day. The day she took care of Max’s second destiny. And no one would stand in her way.

She rounded the corner and stood before the door that was all that remained between her and her prey. She assessed the door for an instant before elevating her hand and smashing the door out of its heavy metal frame. The sole occupant of the room looked at the blonde in alarm, shock and disbelief etched on her face.

Without lowering her arm, the blonde flung the occupant against the wall with her power and pinned her there painfully.

The girls mind flashed back to the moment in her life she had last been pinned against the wall. That time she had almost died.

And now she could see on the blonde’s face…this time she would.

The blonde smiled wickedly, her eyes flashing with joy and power as she looked upon the girl whose life was in her hands; The life which she would take most gleefully. She stared at the girl as she moved into the room and spoke slowly and deliberately, as if her words showed her extreme power.

“Hello Liz”
madroswellfan
Roswell Fanatic

Post by madroswellfan »

Chapter 17

On the second floor of the prison for west London, a security guard remained perfectly still. After Liam had not turned up for his shift, Malcolm had been forced to stay on to cover his absent colleague. With a screaming child in his house, Malcolm had hardly had an hours sleep last night. He had only just stayed awake for his eight hour shift. So when he had not been relieved, Malcolm had tried all sorts of techniques to stay awake.

He tried playing a game with himself, where he would rate all the inmates by looks and then sex appeal. This game normally didn’t last long, as he was horribly turned off by all the “hard-looking” women. He firmly believed that women should be feminine and not all muscle-y. So he was rather surprised when he came across the small, timid looking, and yet striking brunette in the wheelchair. He couldn’t help but think she didn’t deserve to be in a prison. But after staring at her for twenty minutes, his eyes had started to droop. Leaving the monitor still zoomed up in on her room; he decided to close his eyes, just to rest them for a moment. He would not let himself fall asleep.

An hour later however, when a blonde entered the room that his screen was still showing, he was still sound asleep.

Liz looked in terror at the blonde woman whose arm raised at her. She was completely baffled. How had this happened? Being pinned to the wall was a horrible deja-vu of the car crash that had resulted in her disability. Tess surely had not been allowed in the room by the officers…
What was going on? She tried to focus, but her body was reeling in the pain of being slammed against the wall. She breathed in sharply and said chokingly “Tess…what’s….going on?”

Tess just smirked at her. This was going to work perfectly for her. “You know Liz…when I started decoding the book…I couldn’t dream that it would be you.”

Liz blinked away the tears in her eyes and murmured painfully “Book?”

Tess just laughed coldly at her and moved further into the room still holding her arm out. Liz looked at her and somehow, she knew that she had to get away from Tess. The look in her eyes…

“Tess…please…help me down…” she whispered slowly.

Tess rolled her eyes before saying “Tell you what Liz…I’ll help you down….and in fact I will tell you how you came to be here…”
Liz swallowed knowing that there had to be a catch…her whole body was screaming at her, telling her to get away; to find a way out.

“…but you have to tell me what happened to you”

Liz could feel something wet trickle down on to the back of her shoulders, and she realised horribly that it was her own blood. Her head had hit the wall hard…and she was bleeding.

“I…don’t understand…”

Tess shook her head, trying to put on a sad face. “Tusk, tusk. I thought you were meant to be clever Liz…”
She moved further towards her and leaned into her ear. “Tell me how you became a disabled freak”

Liz’s eyes swept around the room; desperately trying to find a way to escape. But she came up with nothing. She looked towards Tess, knowing she had to stay conscious. At least if she was talking she might be able to hang on. Liz took in a shuddering breath before muttering “Car…crash”

Tess circled her, looking at her as if she was inspecting her. And then she smiled and locked eyes with her. “Let me guess…brain damage.”
Liz blinked. How did she know?

Tess saw her expression and smirked once more. “And you had a miraculous recovery I bet”

Liz just stared at her in silence. What on Earth…
“I…” Liz said before coughing hard.

Tess watched her, a smile playing at her lips. When Liz finally stopped coughing, Tess murmured, “You don’t know do you?”
She circled her prey again, grinning as she realised the perfect situation she was in. Tess let her eyes lock with Liz’s before saying, “Well since you don’t have long to live…” She tilted her head slightly before saying “Your brain damage allowed you access to a part of the brain that normal humans will not access for many centuries yet.”

Liz wanted to raise an eyebrow or say something but she was trying desperately to process the information Tess was giving her.

Tess leaned into her and murmured “Haven’t you ever been so filled with a strong emotion that something strange happened?”

Liz looked at her for a moment until her mind floated back to when Max and her had been in a tight lip lock in Max’s jeep…until that streetlight had exploded.

Tess caught the change of look in her eyes and smiled. “You did that.”

Liz looked at Tess utterly confused. She had…done that? How did that make sense? How could she explode a lamppost?

Tess smiled and said “You tapped into alien powers.”

Alien powers. The words made chills run through her body. Alien powers? There weren’t such things…were there?

Her mind suddenly flashed in on the moment when Alex and she had been at the society fair. She had been laughing so hard…when suddenly those sparks had been issued from that stall. It had weirded her out at the time…as those she felt…responsible in some strange way. Just as quickly as that image had surfaced her mind, she was suddenly reminded of the time Alex had tried to wake her up. And at the moment she had awoken…the bathroom door had slammed.

Had she really done those things?! Surely not…aliens didn’t exist…did they?
And then she suddenly realised…why would Tess know anything about alien powers…and how was it she was pinned against the wall without anything touching her.

As Liz’s eyes widened in comprehension, Tess smirked. “Now you see I take it.” She leaned in so there faces were inches away. “Yes Liz…I’m an alien…and your going to wish you never crossed me.”

Liz gulped, knowing that if she didn’t get away right now…she wasn’t going to be around much longer. Tess smiled evilly before adding “And I’m not the only alien in this town…in fact…there are three others.”

Liz looked at Tess as she could feel her face whiten. Three other aliens…
Three people had arrived at this university with her.

No…Max….he couldn’t….

Tess backed up slightly and smiled. “Max and I are destined to be together Liz Parker… and you soon won’t stand in my way anymore.” She slowly circled Liz like a vulture. “He belongs to me. We are made for one another.”

Liz just looked at her listening as red spots appeared in her vision. She was so close to blacking out, but she was determined not to. She had to escape…

Tess stopped moving and looked at her. “But you and that car crash changed destiny. The book has identified you as another option…”

She smirked before saying
“So now I’m going to eliminate you”

Max was sitting on his bed in the same position that Isabel and Michael had left him in. He was now staring at the wardrobe in front of him. If any of the humans had come in right now, they would have thought that he was still in his catatonic state.

But Max wasn’t sitting there thinking about what had happened that horrible night when Liz had been taken away. Or at least, he was not seeing the images that had been floating around in his mind these last two weeks.

No, Max’s mind was instead thinking about the strange things that Michael and Isabel had been telling him.

“Max, there is no diary” Isabel said staring at Max.

Max’s breath caught in his throat. No diary? But he had heard Valenti pacifically say there was one. He was certain. He had replayed that moment so many times, he knew what he had seen; he could remember every word…

“Isabel, Valenti said there was a diary that she wrote in. I remember his words exactly; I mean it’s not as if I’ve not been thinking about it! He said ‘We also found her diary which contains evidence that Liz had been planning to also kill Mr Michael Guerin for breaking Miss Maria DeLuca’s heart. In a later entry, she plans on what she will do if Isabel did not come crawling back to Alex. I quote, “The bitch will die if she doesn’t treat Alex the way he deserves. I want the best for my best friends, and I will do anything to get it.”’ He said that, Isabel I remember!” Max told her undoubtedly.

Isabel put a hand on his shoulder. “Max there was no diary. Valenti never found a diary.” She told him quietly.

Max shook his head fiercely. “No! He did! He said so! He looked at me and said so! And Liz she…she looked at me like…like she would do anything! Like she did it!”

Michael knocked Isabel’s hand away and grabbed him by the shoulders viciously. “Max wake up! You had a nightmare or something! You’ve been sitting here for two weeks! You’ve started making up stuff. She didn’t do it!” Michael shouted at him.

“But she was going to kill you Michael!” Max yelled back in his cracking voice.

“WAKE UP!” Michael practically screamed at him. “THERE. WAS. NO. DIARY!!!”

Max just sat there. He didn’t know what to do…what to believe. He had definitely seen Valenti talk about the diary.

“I…I…” Max looked around the room confused, not knowing what to say. There was a diary…there had to be a diary….wasn’t there?

Isabel looked at Michael and gently removed his hands from her brother. “Michael can I have a moment with my brother” she said quietly.

Michael glared at Isabel for a moment. What did she think he would do?! But she just looked back. Michael growled loudly and stormed towards the door. But before he left he swung back around and looked at Max. “Liz didn’t kill anyone Max. And I’ll prove she’s innocent even if you won’t.”

Michael turned back towards the door, but as he did so he spotted Max’s jeep keys. As he stormed out of the room he seizes the keys and stomped out of the apartment.

Isabel sat there for a moment looking at her brother. His face was lined with confusion over Liz, worry that she was going to go after Michael and herself...and something else that Isabel couldn’t make out.

Max slowly brought his eyes back to Isabel. “There was a diary” he whispered, as though each word was painful to him. “I saw it…Isabel…please…” he said as though begging for her to confirm that there was one. Isabel stared back at him for a moment and shook her head.

“Max…just listen to me ok? There wasn’t a diary. That day Liz was terrified. She stared only at you because you wouldn’t say anything. You didn’t give a reaction. You broke her heart.”

Max flinched. He broke her heart. His brain was screaming out to him that she had broken his when he murdered Jesse…but…Isabel said she didn’t do it. It didn’t make sense.

Isabel kept his gaze and continued “Max, you’ve been over thinking things. Maybe you were terrified when Liz was taken away that you didn’t do anything then….and then maybe you started having nightmares…” Max started to shake his head but Isabel just touched her brothers hands lightly. “Max let me finish” she told him. He stopped and looked at her, the weight of confusion lying heavy on his shoulders.

“Max was there no diary. I promise you there is no diary. I don’t know why you think there is, but there isn’t. As your sister…please...just trust me.”

Max stared at her, wanting to believe her so much…but something still held him back.
“I…can I…have some time alone…to think?” Max asked quietly.

Isabel immediately shook her head, fearing he would go back to the way he was before.

“Please…I promise I’ll come out of my room in a while…I just…I need some time to…work it out…in my head…” Max tried to explain.

Isabel looked at him for a long moment before finally saying “I’ll be in the lounge.”

Max nodded as Isabel removed her hands from his and backed away slightly.
“Max…” she said slowly before taking a deep breath. “Just…listen to your heart ok? You love her. You know deep down she didn’t and couldn’t do this”

Max just gazed back at his sister not saying anything. Isabel swallowed and repeated “I’ll be in the lounge”

And with that she walked out of his bedroom, shutting the door behind her.

It had been ten minutes since Isabel had walked out of the room. But the conversation he had had with his sister and best friend, his fellow aliens, kept replaying in his mind.

He knew what he saw. He was certain. But every time he told himself it had happened Isabel’s words replayed in his mind.

“Just…listen to your heart ok? You love her. You know deep down she didn’t and couldn’t do this”

He wanted to believe. He closed his eyes and pushed away his thoughts of Valenti and the diary and everything about that evening. He sat there for a moment willing himself to be at peace with himself.

And then he started listening to his heart. Moments of Liz floated before his eyes.
Her singing.
When he gave her a necklace.
There first date.
There first kiss.

Max opened his eyes slowly and blinked. He loved Liz. He loved her with all his heart.

But he was positive that he saw Valenti talk about a diary. He knew he had. And yet Isabel and Michael said there wasn’t. He would trust the other aliens with his life.

Max sat alone in the dark room trying to face his demons…even though his demons was himself and what was planted in his head.

Captain James Valenti was a very hard working man. He took his work everywhere with him; whether that was home, or even on the phone to his son. Captain James Valenti believed that he had to clear the world of evil like his father before him. He felt it was his duty.

Which was why when he was off-duty, he decided to go the West London Prison. His mind had not stopped whirling about the Ramirez case. When he looked at Liz Parker he didn’t see a killer. But evidence pointed at her and he did what he had to do.

As he drove to prison his intention had been to see Liz Parker and try to talk to her. See if she could shed any further light. But as he neared the prison he knew there was no point. He knew perfectly well that Liz Parker would continue to tell him her innocence. He had seen her several times in the past weeks after all, and she hadn’t helped him then.

As he pulled into his reserved parking space he sighed. He was here now, so he might as well do something. He stayed in the car for a moment to decide what to do before concluding his time would be best spent doing a spot check. Immediately he was out of his car and walking determinedly into the prison.

First, he checked in with some of the officers on duty. They told him of the one minor scuffle they had had earlier in the day, but other than that, all had been perfectly normal. Next, he walked down some corridors and went into the staff room. It was perfectly neat and tidy. He gave the room a mental tick and then went to see the signing in sheet.

His eyes instantaneously saw that a security guard, Liam Richards had not checked in. Tutting to himself, he wrote down the man’s name in his notebook. On completion he marched along the corridors and up many, many flights of stairs to the security guards room.

He opened the door swiftly and his eyes met the sleeping security guard. He knew that the guard probably had been on the shift before, but none the less, he should not be sleeping on the job. He walked untiringly towards the man, prepared to give the guard a piece of his mind. He stopped next to him and moved his hand promptly towards the sleeping guard to awaken him.

But when Captain James Valenti was inches away from arousing the man, he was distracted by the screen in front of him. He looked towards the screen and froze as he saw Liz Parker being held against a wall…by absolutely nothing. And a girl he recognised as one of her friends was circling her. His hand darted out to turn up the volume on the picture as he tried to remember the blonde’s name.

Once he heard what the two were saying he froze once more as he tried to work out in his mind what he was seeing.

Michael drove the Jeep on and on, without a clue where he was driving to, or even why. He just knew he wanted to drive. He had the top down and the wind blew through his hair. In his mind, he imagined the wind taking all his troubles away.

But he knew that his troubles wouldn’t disappear. In fact ever since that fateful day when he had gone to see Liz, things had just seemed to get worse for Michael Guerin. He would be sitting in class when he would for some reason or another be reminded of Maria. At other times he would be watching TV when he would practically see Liz sitting opposite him telling him, ridiculously, that he was in love with her best friend.

He knew going to see Liz had been a mistake. But he still wanted to get her out. She didn’t deserve to be in there. Thinking of Liz his mind turned to Max and he clenched the steering wheel as he thought of him. But as his mind ran through today’s events, his hands relaxed on the steering wheel. There was definitely something wrong with Max. And he had decided he would do whatever it took to get Max to get back to reality.

He continued driving along the dark roads until he reached the outskirts of London. The roads were fairly quiet as it was night…but every now and then a car would pass, driving hurriedly along the quiet roads. Michael sighed as he tried to unwind further, and tried to clear his mind of all his problems. He kept his eyes on the road as he drove as he tried to loosen up. And then something in the road caught his eye.

Maria.

Michael swerved the car dangerously, making the wheels screech as he tried to control it. He put his foot down hard on the brakes as he mounted the curve, performing an emergency stop. Slamming the hand brake on, Michael jumped out of the jeep and on to the road…

Only to be met by a passing car that honked loudly at him as it continued to pass him.
Michael barely even noticed the car however. He was too busy searching for her. He looked around frantically.

Nothing.
There was no one there.

Michael breathed sharply as he realised he had only seen her in his mind. He stood there in the middle of the road as he tried to calm down. His knees shook as he remembered her standing in the road before him, looking as if she was carrying something in her arms.

But there was no one. No one at all. He had imagined her.

Michael walked slowly back to the jeep and climbed in. He closed his eyes as he tried to compose himself. He told himself he was losing it. Maria was safe somewhere, probably back at the university. He had not almost run her down and Max’s jeep was not damaged. Ok, there were skid marks in the road, but nothing that made a difference to anyone else. He leant forward so that the top of his head almost touched his knees.

He sighed as he muttered to himself. “Your safe…she’s safe…the jeep’s fine…you love her…”

Michael’s spine straightened up immediately, bringing him to a bolt up right, seated position. He knew in that moment that it was true. He loved Maria DeLuca. Sure he knew that he had big feelings for her before…but love? He had told himself he couldn’t. He was an alien and she was a human. He couldn’t have her like that and therefore he couldn’t love her like that.

But the truth was…he could love her like that. He did love her. And as he sat there, he began to wonder…could he have her like that?

Liz was terrified. Tess was going to eliminate her. And all she could think of was…Max was an alien. And she was never going to see him again. She was in love with an alien. And she had no clue how to handle that. But neither Max nor anyone else was going to save her. She had to get out of here, and thinking about Max’s non-human status was not going to help her.

Tess circled her victim, completely unaware that a man was watching her. “This is it Liz” Tess told her with a smirk.

Liz tried to think frantically of a way to stop her. “Wait!” she cried out. Tess raised an eyebrow and got closer to her. “Yeees?” she crowed.

“You….said…you would…tell me…how I’m…here” Liz choked out. “Said you’d…help me down”

Tess rolled her eyes impatiently and then stated. “I lied. Like I would ever let you down…I’m holding you up there!” she crow.

Liz shuddered. She had to get Tess to keep her alive…she had to hang on…
“Don’t you…want to boast how…you put me in here?” Liz moaned out in pain.

Tess smirked. “So you know it was me then huh? Maybe you aren’t as dumb as I thought” she commented. She grinned as she said “Well…why not. It’s not as if anyone’s going to rescue you now” Tess cackled.

With her free hand, Tess grabbed Liz’s wheelchair and pushed it hard against the wall. The wheelchair smashed against the wall, making the wheel fall off. “You’re not going to need that” she smirked as she brought her attention back to Liz. She smiled as she said “I planned it all from the beginning…why else would I hang around with that idiot Jesse Ramirez!”

Liz groaned softly, “You didn’t even…like him”

Tess rolled her eyes. “He was only a pawn in the game Liz. And sometimes the Queen has to sacrifice the pawns to get to the other Queen” she said cryptically.

Liz winced as she felt her head throb painfully. “You…did this all…to hurt me?”

Tess smirked. “All to get you…yes. I did it all for Max. He is mine. No one shall take him away from me. I did what I had to do to make it look like you had a motive.”

The room span horribly as Liz tried to answer. “What…motive?” she murmured.

“You wanted to get Alex and Isabel together. She chose Jesse…so you killed him to remove the enemy so she would then turn to Alex.”

“I…liked Jesse…”

Tess smirked. “The evidence was against you. It was easy enough to mind warp my way into your room and get some of your handwriting. It was easy enough to send Jesse notes. I hoped he would tell Max so that he would turn on you but…no matter. I just went ahead with plan B”

Liz could taste blood in her mouth as she muttered, “You…killed him…so you could have Max?”

Tess smiled. “I will do what I have to do to get what I want…I killed once to get it…” she moved closer and whispered in Liz’s ear. “And now I’m going to kill again.”

Alex sighed as he finally made it back to the boy’s apartment. He had no idea why he had just walked and walked like that. Maybe he was losing his marbles. He sighed to himself as he unlocked the door and saw someone that made his heart skip a beat.

Isabel was sitting on the sofa, staring at Max’s door. She looked…awful. She still looked beautiful to Alex, but she looked like the world was against her. Alex’s heart went out to her…but he knew she needed space right now, and that she wouldn’t want him hanging around. He closed the front door behind him causing Isabel to finally notice him.

“Hey” she murmured quietly, looking at him intensely.

Alex gave her a small smile and mumbled back. “Hi”
He stood there for a moment before heading towards his room. “Excuse me” he muttered as he walked past Isabel. A moment later he closed his door after him.

Isabel stared at Alex’s door for a second before her words to Max drifted back to her.
Just…listen to your heart ok?

Her heart belonged to Alex. She knew it in her bones. But Alex didn’t. Alex didn’t even know she had broken up with Jesse before he… before he was murdered. She had wanted to tell him ever since she had broken up with him…but whenever she saw him she couldn’t get the words out.

But she loved Alex Whitman. And even though she knew he didn’t love her…she wanted to tell him the truth. With that thought, she stood up and before she knew what she was doing she was knocking on his door.

Alex was on the other side of the door, with his back against it. He wanted so much to be there to comfort Isabel…but he didn’t think she would appreciate it. In fact it seemed to him that when he was around her she lost what she was saying. So when there was a knock on his door, he jumped slightly in surprise. He swallowed nervously as he turned around and opened it.

“Isabel…hey…” he said awkwardly. Then he realised that they already did the awkward hi thing. “…again” he added hesitantly.

“Hi again. Can we talk?” Isabel said abruptly, even though her voice wavered slightly. Alex looked at her and nodded. “Er…yeah…come in” he said as he moved away from the door and sat carefully on the end of his bed. He didn’t know what to expect… maybe her to cry or her to say that she was going back to Roswell or her to ask if he would watch her again whilst she slept.

What he was not expecting however was her to come and sit right next to him on the bed. Which was exactly the situation he found himself in moments later, when she came in and sat beside him.

Isabel swallowed nervously. “I…uh…wanted to tell you something.”

Alex’s mind immediately began to race thinking that she was going to say something about her going home, or never wanting to see him again, or some weird thank you for watching her sleep but never ever to do it again.

Isabel’s hands were shaking. She didn’t know how he would react when she told him the truth, and the thought that he might tell her to get away from him petrified her.
Alex saw her hands and quietly said “You can tell me anything.”

“IDumpedJesse”

Alex was completely confounded. What? She had dumped Jesse? But he was dead. Did she mean that she was ok with him being dead and that she wanted to move on? Did she meet another guy called Jesse in these past two weeks and had already dumped him? Alex didn’t know what to say.

Isabel took in a deep breath before making herself slowly, “I dumped him the day he was murdered.”

Alex was stunned. She had dumped Jesse? But why? They were happy together…weren’t they? “I’m sorry” Alex said quietly not knowing what else to say.

Isabel looked at him, biting her lip and admitted, “I’m not.” She swallowed before continuing “He wasn’t the right guy for me. And I…I liked….I like someone else.”

Alex stared at her for a moment, completely overwhelmed. She liked someone else? But who?

“Wow…” Alex muttered. He looked behind her so he wouldn’t have to look into her eyes. “He’s a very lucky guy” he mumbled.

Isabel was still gazing at him. He didn’t realise she meant him. She didn’t know how he couldn’t know, she had been staring at him these past weeks…but he did have other things on his mind and he didn’t know she had dumped Jesse before…

She watched Alex nervously before acting on an impulse. She had wanted to for so long…

She leant in and captured his lips in a kiss.

“And now I’m going to kill again.”

Tess Harding. He remembered her name now. Her words rang in his ears. She was the killer. She had framed Liz Parker. He had imprisoned an innocent person…

Tess was about to kill Liz.

He had made a mistake, and now Liz had and was going to pay for it.

Without another moments thought, Captain James Valenti left the room. He didn’t understand what was going on. Tess had admitted to keeping her against the wall…but he had no clue how. Some miraculous device? But how had a teenager managed to make, or even get hold of such a thing? It didn’t make sense. But he knew he had made a terrible mistake. And he was not going to let Liz die because of him.

Maria was lying on the couch of the girl’s apartment. She felt completely and utterly alone. She didn’t know where Tess or Isabel was, but they weren’t here.

Of course though, she was not alone. She had her child growing inside of her. She gently stoked her abdomen, wishing that she could give her baby the life it deserved. Her first thought in that doctor’s room was to give it up… but she knew she couldn’t do such a thing. He couldn’t kill a life. Besides, it was too late to anyway. She was way past three months and she knew that she was starting to gain weight. Not a huge amount so anyone else would notice…but she certainly did.

“I’m sorry” she murmured to her unborn child. “I’m sorry I can’t give you a father that loves you.”

Tears welled in her eyes. Why had Michael Guerin done this to her? He had got her pregnant, and left her. And was she mad at him? Not really. She loved him. Ok, she was a bit mad, sure. But most of all she wanted him back.

Her mind went back to this morning when Liz had said he had gone and visited Liz. She so wished it was true…that he could have visited to find out how she was. But she knew he couldn’t have done. Alex wouldn’t have missed spending time with Liz. And Michael didn’t like her.

She closed her eyes as a solitary tear trickled down her face. How was she going to raise the baby alone? How would her mother react?

How was she ever going to tell Michael?

At that moment there was a knock on the door. Maria quickly wiped her tears away. “One second!” she called out as she grabbed the pregnancy leaflet she had been reading and stuffed in under a pillow. She swallowed as she walked over to the door and opened it, expecting to find Tess or Isabel who had forgotten there keys or something.

“Maria”

Maria stared back at the man before her. He looked like hell; like he had literally gone to hell and back. And now here he was, standing at her doorway. Michael Guerin, the father of her child. His normally perfect hair was in disarray, and the look on his face was so emotion filled, she didn’t know what he was feeling most.

Maria’s mind filled with excuses. Things she could say so she could shut the door. But she couldn’t. She just stood there, staring at him. She knew she had to tell him at some point…but she wanted to delay the inevitable as long as possible. She couldn’t handle it right now if Michael freaked on her.

Michael stared back at the blonde before him. He noticed her red eyes, but didn’t say anything. He couldn’t. He came here for a reason, and he was not going to let anything else stop him from saying what he had to. He was actually half surprised that Maria hadn’t slammed the door in his face. And even though she was staring at him, he knew she wouldn’t for ever and so he took a breath and said what his heart wanted to say for a very, very long time.

“I love you”

Maria stared at him, stunned. He…he loved her? He actually loved her? Maria DeLuca? Even though he had dumped her? Even though he had avoided her?
But she knew by the look on his face, that he was deadly serious. Maria wanted to laugh and cry all at once.

Michael Guerin loved her! Maria gave a small smile before opening her mouth to tell him that she loved him back.
“I…” she swallowed nervously before opening her mouth again and saying

“I’m pregnant”

The two teenagers stared at each other in silence, both completely stunned by Maria’s words.

Liz knew this was it. The end. No way out. But still, she desperately clung on to the hope of escape. She had to make Tess keep her alive…get her off the wall….escape…

“What…book?” Liz questioned, hoping to keep Tess talking.

Tess rolled her eyes. “The destiny book. It’s a message to tell us who we should and shall be with. But when you had that stupid accident of yours… destiny changed. Max insisted that he wasn’t destined for me…but when he had a chance of someone else…” Tess dragged a finger across Liz’s cheek, “He insisted he had to come here. So we came with him, for him to find his other destiny…the stupid book picked up your powers and now the book says that Max can choose….well…not for much longer.” She smirked before saying, “And now you’re boring me…stop delaying the inevitable Liz…”

“M…mind warp?” Liz groaned out trying desperately to keep distracting her.

Tess smirked, momentarily sidetracked by an opportunity to gloat. “My best power. I can get into people’s minds…make people see things. I’m very good at it now. I’ve used it often enough.”

Realisation hit Liz like a ton of bricks. “You… did it to Max… didn’t you? You made him…think I was a killer” she whispered. Max had been tricked. They had all been fooled. Max may actually love her. The thought made her heart soar.

Tess cackled. “Yes I did…and I loved going through his pathetic mind and making him think you did it. It was a glorious moment when I made him see you break his heart!” she grinned as she said slowly “I made him suffer and I enjoyed every second of it”

“You BITCH!” Liz yelled out angrily, her body shaking in anger. Suddenly her body fell off the wall she had been attached to for so long. Liz screamed out in pain as her fragile body hit the floor. She forced herself to look up through the haze before her eyes…

To see Tess looking confused, her arm still raised.

Liz had got herself off the wall. The thought that she had managed to do that was incredible. And then she realised she might have a small chance of escape.

Tess seethed. She was not about to let some human with alien powers get away. She glared at the brunette, her eyes flashing with anger. “Oh no you don’t!” Tess moved her hand back to face Liz…

Tess and Liz raised their right arms in perfect unison.

The door burst open. The new arrival was just in time to see a girl slam against the opposite wall, and slide down it into a crumpled heap.
madroswellfan
Roswell Fanatic

Post by madroswellfan »

Chapter 18

The man stood in the doorway, stunned at the sight before his eyes. He stood there for a split second before running over to one of the girls.

It was only then the females noticed him. The girl on the opposite end of the room looked at him with an arrogant, confident smirk. But if you looked deep into her eyes, you could see the seeds of doubt forming… and the hint of fear.

“Liz?” the man asked quietly as he looked at the girl beside him quickly. She was bleeding badly, and the man feared desperately for her safety. The man was in utter shock that Liz had sent Tess flying across the room.

Without thinking about it, the man waved a hand over the back of her head quickly, healing the semi-deep wound. Liz looked at him with her deep brown eyes. As he withdrew his hand, she murmured, “It’s true…”

“Did you ever doubt it?!”

Tess was quickly picking herself up, the smirk still not leaving her face. “Hello Max…” she drawled. “Come to watch the show?”

Max stood up, standing directly in front of Liz.
“It’s over Tess” Max stated determinedly.

Tess snorted. “Oh really…you think your going to stop me Max?” she tilted her head sideways as she gave him a sly grin. “I thought you were busy thinking that the freak killed my best friend” she said finishing in a mock pout.

“I know what you did Tess. I worked it out. Liz could never be a killer. It was you messing with my mind,” Max told her evenly. “But I won’t let you do it again and I will not let you hurt Liz.” His words were calm, but he spoke volumes of how much he would sacrifice to save her. Liz was staring up at him, trying hard not to let the tears in her eyes fall.

Tess looked at him for a second before bursting out with laughter. She laughed so hard her sides hurt. When she finally stopped her evil cackling she looked at Max. “Come off it Max. You know as well I do you have no way of stopping me.”

She moved slowly forward, still grinning ear to ear, like a possessed demon. “I barely have to click my fingers Max and you do as I say. You’re my puppet on a string.”

“I will fight you with every last fibre of my being Tess,” Max assured her. “I’m not letting you near her. You’ve lost Tess. Give it up”

Tess snorted. “Give it up?” she repeated giggling. “Shouldn’t you be following your own advice Max?” Tess asked smirking. “Because exactly how are you going to stop me huh?”

Max looked her and swallowed hard. He wasn’t a killer. He knew that. And what exactly could he do to an alien, who to be fair, had probably stronger powers than him as she practiced everyday. In the end…how would he stop her from doing this?

Tess saw the look on his face and her grin widened, if that was possible. “See my point Max?” she crossed the room and lightly touched his arm. “We’re destined to be with each other. You and I, Max, we make sense.”

Max jerked her arm away. “No. No we don’t. I could never be with a killer” Max said. “You killed Jesse didn’t you? You killed him just to get Liz and I apart” he whispered coldly, the mere thought of it making him want to hurl.

Tess looked at him for a moment before slowly clapping three times. “Bravo Max. Jolly good show. You worked it out huh?” She looked at him disdainfully. “Not that it matters. You won’t remember for much longer,” she said flippantly.

“Tess you don’t have to do this” Max tried to reason with her. “We don’t have to follow some destiny book. We don’t have to do as anyone else says” he told her expressively. “If you just…live out your life sentence here we…might be able to be friends after” Max tried to say even though the simple deliberation of being friends with her disgusted him.

Tess made an exaggerated yawn movement. “Are you done Max? Cos I’m bored of this. I’m going to end your little quest to find your other destiny…and I’m going to end it right now.”

At that moment it was like a light switch turning on in his head. Liz had used an alien power on Tess. His eyes widened as he thought about it. Liz was his other destiny. The girl he loved was his true destiny. It was almost too good to be true…

Or at least it would be if Tess wasn’t about to kill her.

Max shook his head. “Tess, please…”

Tess snorted loudly. “PLEASE? Is that the best you can do Max? I’m about to kill your freak girl and the best you can do is say ‘Please’?” She rolled her eyes at him. “What a joke you are Max. You can’t hurt me. You wouldn’t. So either stand aside so I can end this once and for all…or I’m just going to have to make you”

“Max….do it….” Liz said quietly. “I don’t want you to get hurt…”

Max didn’t look round at her. “No way… I’m not letting her near you” he said resolutely.

“Max please…” Liz murmured. She was terrified that Tess really would hurt him. She couldn’t live with herself if she did… Maybe it was best for everyone if they just… let her do it. At least that way not both of them would die.

“I’d listen to her Max… no point in both of you getting hurt now is there” she smirked.

Max was seething. “I’m not moving. I may have let you try and get between us before Tess…but not again. Never again” he said, anger filling his voice.

“Fine…hard way it is then”

Maria was in a panic. What the hell had just happened? Did she just tell Michael that she was pregnant?! She hadn’t intended to say that! She was going to say ‘I love you too’ not, ‘I’m pregnant’! What had she done? Maybe Michael really did love her…but he wouldn’t want a child with her. He wouldn’t want his whole life to change like that. He wouldn’t want to be tied down like that, not Michael…he was a lone ranger.

What on earth was she going to do?

Michael was staring at her, stunned. She was pregnant? His mind instantly run through the past few months to see if she had had any other boyfriends, but he just knew she hadn’t. Not Maria.

He was going to be a father.

Maria was going to have his child.

He looked at her for a moment before a smile slowly filled his face. “I…I’m going to be a father?”

Maria was now the one who was stunned. Michael was…happy? He wanted this baby? He wanted to be a father?

“Y...yes….” Maria said hesitantly, wondering if he was tricking her or something. “Are you….are you ok?” she asked nervously.

Michael gently put his hands on her shoulders. “It’s…it’s a shock, I’ll grant you but…it’s a good shock” he said slowly. And with that Michael put his arms around her.

Maria’s eyes quickly searched over Michael’s shoulder for some sort of hidden camera… This can’t be right. What had happened to Michael? This wasn’t the Michael she knew…. Her mind started coming up with ridiculous theories, ranging from this ‘Michael’ being an impostor, to Michael being abducted by aliens, and even to Michael being high on drugs.

Michael’s mind was a whirling with thoughts. Ok…so the baby might have some…not so human tendencies. And that most certainly would not be good. And really…it meant Michael should tell Maria the truth. But he decided, at least for now, he wanted some time with Maria…

That was of course if Maria forgave him. Which Michael wasn’t sure that she would. He didn’t know what he would do if she didn’t… but he knew right then that he wanted to be a part of his child’s life. He had never known what it was like to have a father or a mother. Michael decided this baby would be lucky…because it would have both. He wanted to be a part of his child’s life.

Michael slowly released her and looked at her. “Maria…”

They locked at each once more and both were immediately lost in each others eyes. Michael cleared his throat and said quietly, “Maria I… I’ve been a fool and I’m… I’m really sorry. And I… I really do love you”

Maria couldn’t breathe. She was certain that Michael was about to tell that he wasn’t ready to have a child…that he couldn’t be with her if she had the baby.

“I understand… if you can’t forgive me, for what I did. But no matter what I want to be a part of this” he said as he gently lay his right hand on her belly.

Maria’s heart fluttered wildly. He wanted to be a part of the baby’s life. Minutes ago she had been sure that she would never have Michael, and her baby would not have a father. But neither were true. Tears welled in her eyes and spilled over her cheeks.

“You…do?” Maria murmured, a smile creeping over her face. “Oh Michael…I…you have no idea what this… what this means to me…”

Michael’s heart sunk thinking that she was about to say some sort of thank you for being in the baby’s life…but that they couldn’t be together.

“Oh Michael I love you too”

And with that her lips were fused with his.

Michael was so dazed for a moment that he didn’t kiss back. But when he realised that her lips were on his, he immediately wrapped his arms around her as he deepened the kiss. Maria moaned slightly as she wrapped her arms around his waist, never ever wanting to be apart again from the man that drove her crazy in so many ways.

Michael broke off the kiss and Maria was half disappointed that the kiss had not been longer. Michael smiled at her and kissed her forehead. Maria immediately started panicking that this had been some sort of joke after all…until Michael spoke.

“How about we do this properly this time…Maria will you be my girlfriend?”

Maria sighed in happiness before replying “A thousand times yes”

The instant Michael had heard the word yes Michael pressed his lips back to hers. Maria had been worried that she had forgotten what Michael’s kisses had felt like…but she knew then she could never forget what heaven was like. Still kissing, Michael manoeuvred the two of them into the room and closed the door. He moved to kiss her neck and murmured against her skin, “I remembered this time.”

Maria giggled gleefully as Michael moved them towards the couch and sat them down. They continued to kiss until they had to break away. They started at each other again, each taking in every detail of the other face. Michael gently stroked her cheek and smiled.

“Maria?” Michael asked, biting her lip.

Maria gave him an encouraging smile, “Yes boyfriend?”

Michael gave her a small smile before gently pulling her towards him. She rested her head on his chest and Michael gently stroked the back of her hair as he said, “Girlfriend, can I hold you all night in my arms?”

Maria looked up at him and gave him a shy smile. “That sounds perfect,” she replied quietly.

Michael kissed the top of her head and murmured back, “No your perfect”

Maria sighed contentedly as she closed her eyes trying to savour the moment. Michael looked down at her lovingly, knowing that things would never be the same again… and that was most definitely a good thing.

Max’s face showed his sheer determination and courage. He would do whatever it took to save Liz. He knew perfectly well that Tess would not kill him… she wouldn’t have gone to so much trouble to frame Liz if she was then going to kill him. No she wouldn’t go that far…she would just turn him into a little puppet. And Max was resolute that she would not get that satisfaction.

“Tess, I won’t let you do it. The book said I get to choose… and I choose Liz”

Tess’s breath caught in her throat for a moment before a low growl admitted from the back of her throat. “No you bloody well don’t. You don’t get a choice anymore Max!” Tess ranted at him. “I’m the one who has been at your side all these years! I was here first…”

As Tess ranted furiously, she was completely unaware of the person that slipped into the room. As quiet as a mouse the man crept round behind the blonde. He was so quiet, that Max only realised his presence just before he took his position.

“CAPTAIN NO!”

Captain James Valenti whipped the handcuffs onto Tess and locked them tightly.
“Tess Harding I’m arresting you for…”

Tess whipped round to stare at Valenti and laughed coldly. “Your not arresting me… nothing can hold me!”

Max knew what she was about to do…and he was powerless to stop it…

Suddenly Max’s mind filled with the image of five stars, in a V shape. It was as if it was a memory of something long forgotten. Along with the image he heard a girl screaming… and then a sigh of relief from someone else.

Not knowing why, Max jumped to the handcuffs and waved his hand over them, creating the seal on them. He watched as Tess’s happy face turned to one of confusion. She struggled in the handcuffs, trying to work out desperately why she couldn’t get out of them. Turning around she looked at Max and knew immediately what had happened.

“How did you… why did you do that?!” she shrieked. “How did you know?!”

Max sighed in relief and shrugged. “I just knew.”

Tess’ features turned bright red in fury. “No, NO! Get me out of these! Max help me get them off…”

Max shook his head. “Not a chance.”

Tess grew into a frenzy. “No! NO NOOO! Get me out! GET ME OUT!” she screamed. “You have no proof! I didn’t do anything!!!”

Captain James Valenti, who had turned a nasty shade of green, continued his little speech. “Tess Harding I’m arresting you for the murder of Jesse Ramirez and the attempted murder of Liz Parker. You have the right to remain…”

Max didn’t hear the rest of Valenti’s speech as Tess was screaming so loud. Max, who wanted to check if Liz was ok, quickly tore off the bottom of his shirt. He quickly covered it over Tess’s mouth and used his powers to keep it on.

The affect was immediate. Ok, there were still some loud incoherent noises, but nothing that everyone else couldn’t talk over.

“…in court. And by the way…I believe the three of us testifying and the video tape of you admitting it from the security cameras is evidence enough”

More loud noises ensued from Tess…but everyone was ignoring her. Max quickly knelt down by Liz.

“Are you ok?” he asked urgently. Liz looked at him for a moment before wrapping her arms around him tightly. “I knew there was something wrong…I knew you wouldn’t leave me…”

“Shh…its ok” Max said quietly as he gently stroked her back. “I’m here…its over. She can’t do anything to you now.”

“Oh Max…” Liz murmured into his chest, her whole body shuddering.

“Are you hurt?” Max asked worriedly. Liz shook her had slightly, not moving away.

There was a loud cough from behind Max and he looked round to see the Captain looking uncomfortable, bewildered and… lost.

Max slowly released Liz and murmured in her ear, “I’ll be back…”

Standing up slowly he approached the Captain, trying to keep his face neutral. The Captain looked back at him for a moment before slowly saying, “I don’t know what it is I saw… and to be honest… I don’t want to.”

Max endeavoured to keep his face still, even though he was shocked at the Captains reaction. He didn’t want to know?

“My job,” Valenti continued, “Is to get the bad guys. And I heard enough to take her away… but… er… whatever it is you just… did… you may need to do at the prison to er… keep her in”

Max gave a small smile. He could quite easily do that. By putting the seal on it meant that an alien could not break through it. They couldn’t use there powers on it. He didn’t know how he knew that…he just did. “I can do that”

Valenti gave a little nod and started to lead Tess towards the door.

“Captain?” Max said quietly.

Captain James Valenti looked back at Max slowly.

“Thank you” Max said quietly. His words may have been short…but they spoke volumes.

Valenti gave a small smile and a nod. “No problem…” he looked over at Liz and said quietly, “I… I’m so sorry…”

Liz gave a tiny, weak smile. “Forget it…you just saved my life, I think that makes us even”

Valenti smile widened slight before he turned and led Tess away to a place which not many criminals deserved more.

Alex felt Isabel’s lips on hers…but was too shocked to do anything about it. Isabel…liked him? How could this be? He had ruined their date so fantastically... how could she possibly like him after that?

But as Isabel pulled away and looked at him hopefully he knew, at least in part, that she was telling the truth. His heart soared for a moment knowing that Isabel Evans, the perfect and beautiful girl sitting opposite him, liked Alex Charles Whitman.

But as he looked at her, a thought made him feel cold, and a seed of doubt formed in his mind. Isabel may like him… but Jesse had just died. She could be pushing something that she didn’t really want in the long run, or she could just be wanting to escape reality for a while with him.

And good guy that he was, Alex didn’t want to rush into something that ultimately wouldn’t work and that maybe might ruin any chance of them being together properly. Even if through some small miracle Isabel did like him as much as he liked her… he ultimately knew that it was too soon.

Alex gave her a small smile. “Isabel I…”

Isabel’s face contorted knowing immediately what he was going to say. “Alex please… don’t reject me…” she whispered emotionally.

Alex bit his lip and murmured looking at his lap, “Isabel you have no idea.” He sighs and looks up at her, “It’s not that I’m rejecting you… I just… God I want to say we can do this so much but…”

“Then just say we can” Isabel said half hopingly and half pleadingly. She didn’t want to lose Alex. She loved him and that wasn’t about to go away.

Alex blinked slowly and muttered. “I can’t”

Isabel sat there for a moment before whispering back, “Right…” and standing up, about to head to the door.

“Isabel…” Alex said immediately. Alex saying her name was enough for her to instantly stop and look at him. Part of her hoped he was changing his mind but she knew deep down he wasn’t.

“Isabel I… I just think it’s too soon for you… and as much as I…” he paused and decided to not say that and instead said, “I think you know it too.”

Isabel looked at the floor and nodded slowly. “I know,” she muttered sadly.

The two don’t say anything for a while before Alex said carefully, “But I… I’d like to think… that… maybe in the future…”

Isabel looked up at him hopefully and gave a small smile. “Yeah… I’d like to think that too” she murmured.

The two looked into each others eyes for a long moment before Alex forced himself to look away, knowing that if he kept looking at her, his resolve to be the good guy would break.

“I’d really like to be good friends though Alex” Isabel suddenly said, worried that this would change things between them, making it awkward and uncomfortable.

Alex looked back at her slowly and gave her a smile. He stood up off his bed and slowly put his arms around her in a friendly hug.

“We already are, and always will be” he murmured in her ear.

As they hugged, both Isabel and Alex were wishing that they were doing something more.

Max looked round at the room and run his fingers through his hair. He bit he lip as he saw Liz’s wheelchair that was broken in the corner. Max crossed over to it and used his powers to fuse the wheel back on. He could feel Liz’s eyes upon him the entire time.

Liz was trying to take in the last hour’s proceedings. The guy she loved still loved her…and was an alien. She would have thought she was dreaming if it wasn’t for the fact that her body still ached from being slammed against a wall.

She watched as Max brought the wheel chair towards her and gave her a weak smile. He leant down towards her and slowly picked her up in his arms. Carefully he put her back in the wheelchair, carefully studying her the whole time.

When Max was done he left one hand on top of hers, still holding eye contact with her. Liz swallowed and finally broke the silence murmuring, “Are you ok?”

Max scoffed slightly. “Me? Yeah I’m fine. You shouldn’t be asking that though I mean…you’re the one she…” Max winced and looked down as he imagined what Tess could have done to her to leave her bleeding like that.

Liz weakly lifted her hand and cupped his face. She slowly made him look back at her. “I’m ok Max… really,” she told him firmly.

Max looked deep into her eyes for a moment before blurting out, “Liz I should have told you, I just…”

Liz swiftly put her finger on his lips. “It’s okay Max… you don’t need to explain. Being… being an alien isn’t something you would broadcast.”

“But I…”

Liz shook her head. “I understand Max…” she drifted off as she wondered something. “Max…does Alex or Maria know?”

Max bit his lip again before shaking his head.

Liz looked down, wanting to tell Max that Maria was pregnant, but deciding that wasn’t her secret to tell.

Silence fell over them, making Max want to squirm, but he didn’t. He swallowed before saying quietly, “Liz… I’m so sorry I didn’t come… Tess got into my head and did things… it was horrible I…”

Liz shook her head again. “Max I know… she told me in delight. That’s how I… how I managed to get off the wall”

Max looked up slightly confused by what she meant by the wall, but deciding he didn’t want to know at this moment in time. They both had far more important questions to ask.

More silence.

Liz wasn't sure how to break it so she suddenly commented, "So this destiny thing must mean a lot to you for you to come all the way to England to find some girl."

Max shrugged and said, "Can you blame me with Tess being so desperate to be with me to want another option? Plus... it was worth it... she is most definitely worth it" he said giving her a shy smile.

Liz blushed slightly. She really wished she could leave this room, but right now she wanted to understand everything... understand why everything happened like it did.

“Liz… when did you get your powers?” Max asked quietly. “What happened to you?”

Liz shuddered as she thought about the crash. Max sensing her discomfort quickly held her other hand and added, “Don’t worry, you don’t have to tell me, forget it.”

But Liz shook her head once more and said, “No…no I want to.”

She swallowed awkwardly and looked up at him. “I… I was in a car crash. A drunk driver hit me. That’s how…” she indicated at her legs. She paused for a moment before saying, “Tess... she said that I got my powers from accessing a different part of my brain that humans won’t use for many centuries… the accident caused me brain damage.”

Max looked at her wondering how Tess would have known that that was how aliens had there powers. She most certainly had not told the others that yet.

“Max…” Liz said hesitantly. Max nodded slightly wondering what question Liz would ask.

“Max, what did you do to my head?” she asked quietly.

Max gave her a small smile. “I healed it. Tess can mind warp people, Isabel can go into people’s dreams, Michael… well Michael’s not sure what his power is yet, and I can heal.”

There eyes locked again, both thinking exactly the same thing.

Max could heal Liz.

Max gave her a small smile and said “Ever since I’ve met you… I’ve wanted to do this… may I…?” Max says making a gesture to touch her back.

Liz gave him a smile and nodded, trying not to get her hopes up too much.

Max slowly went round behind her and swallowed to try and keep himself calm. He was so excited that he was going to heal Liz. She would be able to walk again.

He took a deep breath before slowly moving his hand towards her back. The instant his hand touched the cotton of her shirt he immediately felt his power healing…

Liz almost sighed from his touch…but his hand was removed from her before she could.

“Max?”

Liz turned her wheelchair around slowly and saw Max looking at his hand. He looked like he was going to be sick.

“Max? What is it?” she said worriedly.

Max swallowed hard and slowly brought his eyes to hers.

“Liz when I heal… it’s easy to heal skin. But to heal…” Max broke off suddenly.

Liz was looking at him, panicking that there was something else wrong with her. “Max, what ever it is just tell me” she told him quietly.

Max paused for a moment before saying, “Basically if I heal your back, I would heal your brain too.”

Liz looked at him for a moment not understanding. “Ok, well what’s wrong with…”

It was like someone just kicked her in the gut. And they had kicked her very hard. Not meeting his eyes she murmured for him, “If you heal me… I’m no longer your destiny.”