When Love & Loss Collide(M/L Teen/Mature) [COMPLETE]

Finished stories set in an alternate universe to that introduced in the show, or which alter events from the show significantly, but which include the Roswell characters. Aliens play a role in these fics. All complete stories on the main AU with Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Hey guys :)

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback.

PML - Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it.
Dream Weaver - Glad you enjoyed it. As to what to do about Serina and Thomas, maybe you should read and find out :wink:
begonia9508 - Well Emily had already been showing powers, and Liz had been trying to teach her to control it, but blasting is certainly on a whole other level...
Emz80m - maybe try and see it her way, she's worried about her friend, she doesn't know what's going on really, but she does know that Liz was worried, and she did kinda take her under her wing you know... Anyway, I didn't intend to make Serina into a baddy, honest...
roswell3053 - Thanks for reading, but what's everyone got against Serina?
Flamehair - Has it ever been simple lol. Thanks for sticking with the story, I'm glad you're still enjoying it. As to Serina, I guess only time will tell...
Timelord31 - Thanks, glad you enjoyed it
Alien614 - Is this soon enough?
83 AlienAngel - Well here it is
IzzyEvans2201_PuetroRico - Thanks for reading
Isabelle - You're making me blush, and I'm certain there are plenty of people whose fics are better than mine, but thanks for the compliment anyway, I'm only happy you're still enjoying them... As to Thomas and Serina - Kyle was just setting off, but I guess he had to slam on the break to keep from running her over, plenty of time to get in then... As you say, there's every reason why they should leave, but do you think she's going to? And as far as Maria goes - who says she hasn't already remembered and just not said anything...?
ceg - Well, you never know, but I guess the only way is to continue reading to find out, hope I won't disappoint if you do...

Oh, and just two little plugs - if no one minds - The sequel to my CC fic goes up today (Reality Revealed), and I put up a little one parter a short while back too which is actually like a little prequel this in the cannon universe part (basically just set at some point after Graduation)The Important Thing, if anyone is interested, I'll make sure the links are provided on my author's thread.

Here's the new chapter, I hope you all enjoy it.

Kat

Chapter 44

“What do you mean she blasted him…?” Isabel looked over at Liz questioningly as the two of them stood at the edge of a small patch of grass at the side of the road. The van apparently needed more fuel, and it had been decided that for safety reasons they shouldn’t all go. Better, it had been judged, for one or two to go along and then there was less chance of them being picked up.

In the end Serina and Max had been chosen to go, posing as a young married couple on holiday with their son, and the others had been left a little way back up the road. Liz had objected to Serina’s participation of course, but the other woman was stubborn, and it did no good… The young brunette knew her friend was getting deeper and deeper into something she didn’t even understand, and there was nothing she could do about it.

After Max and Serina had left, Kyle, Michael and Maria had all headed to a nearby diner, but Emily had made a beeline towards the grass, insisting that she wanted to play and Liz hadn’t had the heart to refuse her so Isabel had volunteered to keep the two of them company.

Liz sighed and shook her head as she watched her little girl playing happily. From looking at her now, who would have thought that Emily was anything other than a normal child…? “Just what I say… One minute she’s yelling at him to let go, the next the poor little guy gets what he thinks is a static shock…” She ran a hand through her hair, pushing the long brown tresses back out of her face and glancing over at Isabel briefly. “It was a really little one obviously, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to cover it up, but…”

“It’s got you worried…?” The red-head guessed. Strictly speaking, she hadn’t known the young woman very long, having spent less than a day in her company before, and another day travelling now. There were certain things about her which made her feel as though she had known her for a lifetime however, and right at this moment in time she felt so sorry for the young girl.

Liz nodded. “Yeah… I mean, there was no warning about it, and I have enough trouble controlling it myself, how’s she supposed to be able to…?”

“With practice…it’ll be okay…” Isabel gave her a reassuring smile and reached out to touch her arm. “You know this is one of the reasons you should stay with us… We know how to deal with these things…” She pointed out softly.

“Yeah…I know…” The younger of the two girls sighed and pulled her coat more tightly around her body. She had come to the same conclusion after thinking on what had happened in Asbury Park, although she hadn’t voiced that conclusion to the others as yet. She was never going to be able to live a truly normal life it seemed, but at least if she were with the others, she was with people who understood, even if it was…complicated… “You know that Serina wants to come with us as well don’t you…?” She commented, making a blatant attempt to change the subject. Her own plans for the future, as in whether she was staying with the others or not really weren’t something she wanted to discuss right now…

“How much does she know…?” Although still uncertain about the older woman who it appeared had befriended Liz, there was something about her that she couldn’t quite put her finger on.

“Nothing…” Liz shook her head slightly. “I haven’t told her a thing, except to insist that she doesn’t go back to the old apartment... I avoided giving details about my relationship, and yet even with so little information, and knowing we’re obviously in danger which I’m certain she does, she’s still saying she wants to come with us…”

“She seems like a good friend…”

The young mother nodded. “She is, she has been, she’s been wonderful, but she needs to go back to her life. It just isn’t fair on her, to drag her, and Thomas, into it… She shook her head. When Serina had first told her of her intention, a tiny part of her had been relieved to know she was still going to be around, but as the hours had past since the announcement, more and more she found herself thinking of the increased danger, and coming to the conclusion that she couldn’t let her do this… “Isabel, she’s saying she wants to stay because she’s worried about me, I know this and I’m grateful really, but I can’t let her…”

“Maybe this isn’t your choice to make though…” Isabel commented softly.

The other girl looked at her questioningly. “I don’t understand…” In telling Isabel about Serina’s intentions, she had been expecting to receive strong opposition and consequently support for her own thoughts, but instead…

She sighed. “Liz, back home, in Roswell, before we left, I was married… After Alex died, I graduated early and went to the community college. I started dating, in secret, a lawyer who had just joined my father’s practice. We got married a couple of months before we had to leave Roswell, and I made one of the biggest mistakes of my life… I told him he couldn’t come with us… I told him that I wouldn’t put his life in danger like that…” Isabel blinked, and blotted her eyes with a tissue. “The point is, that wasn’t my decision to make. He wanted to come with me, because he loved me, and I loved him too… There isn’t a day goes by I don’t wonder what it would have been like had he come with me…”

Listening in silence, Liz nodded slightly, her hand moving to her neck where her locket hung as always. She understood what Isabel felt, she too had lost someone, but this wasn’t the same thing. Serina was a friend, a good one yes, but just a friend…

Pausing for a moment, Isabel studied the expression on her face, and gave a little smile as though she understood. “I know it’s different, but the basis is the same… Max said something when we left Roswell, he said it wasn’t his decision to make for us all, that we had to make it for ourselves, and he was right…”

“But she doesn’t understand, how can she make a decision without understanding what she’s signing up for…? How can she know to protect herself, how can realise what she’s giving up…” The young brunette shook her head desperately. ”If Serina makes this decision now, she can’t back out and you know it… She can never go back…”

“Well maybe it’s time to tell her then…”

Both girls looked around in surprise to find that Maria had come out to join them. The other girl waved and smiled as she stepped out onto the grass.

Liz was stunned by the suggestion and shook her head. “I can’t do that, what if—“

Maria held up her hand. “Do you trust her…?”

She nodded silently. “Yes, bu-“

This time it was Isabel’s turn to interrupt. “For now, make her understand the danger, then give it another week… If by the time we’re moving on again, she’s still determined to come with us, tell her everything…” She instructed simply.

“What about Michael though…?” Liz stared at them with open eyes, unable to believe what she was hearing.

Maria smiled. “Leave him to me…” She lapsed into silence for a moment, and then looked back at the other girl. “She helped you, when you needed it, without knowing anything about you… And, she didn’t tell us that she knew you when we asked, she kept your ‘secret’ as such, and that’s a pretty good recommendation to me…” She explained softly, hesitating before adding something more in little more than a whisper. “Besides, a good friend of mine once told me ‘Serina’ would be a good friend…”

This comment drew another confused look from both Liz and Isabel, and Maria shook her head, knowing that explaining about their own Liz’s visitor from the future wasn’t something that needed to be done right now. The future he had come from didn’t exist anymore, her best friend had made sure of that… “Don’t worry about it… It’s not important…” She assured the young mother softly, although internally she couldn’t help but wonder – was this the same Serina…?
Last edited by KatnotKath on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
When Love and Loss Collide
When Friendship and Love Combine - New!
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
I Knew Him Before (PB fic)
Love Always...
The First Time Around - New!
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Hey guys, sorry for the disappearing act again. I assure you that I haven't given up on this, quite the opposite actually, but I've been going through a crazy time at work recently. Our workload has just about doubled, if not tripled, I'm going in early, coming back late, and by the time I get home, the last thing I really want to do is write. I watch tv, and sit in front of the computer, and on average a couple of sentences get written. My muse is also on holiday it seems (much as I wish I am), so I'm trying my best, but I know this has taken a long time, and again, I'm sorry if it's not the best. I know where I'm trying to go with this, but getting there is another matter...

Thanks for all the feedback you've left as always, it means a great deal, and always gives me a boost to see.

begonia9508 - Well, you never know...
roswell3053 - the problem is that who is to say it will be the same in this new timeline...how much was changed by what Liz did at the behest of FutureMax. Besides, do you honestly think anything will make the decision easier for Michael to make...?
PML - You're right, it's a very difficult situation, and not getting any easier it seems...
Alien614 - Now that would be telling wouldn't it? ('scuese the pun)
DreamWeaver - Funny how everyone seems to have changed their mind...weren't you all saying she had to leave last chapter?
Emz80m - Thanks hun, I'm glad you approve.
Timelord31 - Well it's seeming kinda like that isn't it? Could Maria really have kept a secret? lol
Ellie - Well in some ways it's not the same Serina, because this is afterall a new timeline, just as Liz isn't the Liz from this reality...if that makes any sense...? As for Serina and Max, I think their trip will have been pretty uneventful, sorry to disappoint, but I don't see them chatting at this time. As you say, frosty...
IzzyEvans2201_PuertoRico - LOL :) Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Flamehair - Yes Maria remembered her...how could she forget that conversation with Liz? And if I'm reading your sig correctly, just wanted to say congrats :)

Well it seems the views on Serina have changed again have they? I honestly didn't intend to make her into a busybody as people seemed to think before, and I wasn't intending to make her into a Tess figure or anything like that. So got to say, I'm relieved you seem to be coming around to her, crossing my fingers that you'll continue to like her now. She does mean well you know, even if sometimes she might seem to go a little over the top, she cares about her friends, and Liz is one of those.

That all said, you all say you want to see what happens next, so here goes, it might not be the best, and apologies if it isn't, I hope you'll enjoy it anyway.

~Kat~

Chapter 45

"This has gone far enough! She can't stay with us!" Michael insisted, looking around at the group. He didn't see why they couldn't have just ‘accidentally’ left their unexpected additional passengers at the coffee house they had stopped at near Jersey City. It wouldn't be as though it would have been a problem if she had called someone - they'd have already been on their way, they could have changed the appearance of the van a little, and anyone following them would likely have assumed that they would continue heading up the coast, or over to New York, just as had been intended.

In fact, considering everything, it would probably have been the best outcome possible, had Max not played the gentleman and refused to leave her without warning like that.

Now, after seeing a good part of the indirect route they were taking, if the woman had any sense at all she would know they were trying to put someone off their trail, and who knew what would happen when they left her.

So what if Liz liked and trusted her - that so wasn't good enough for him! He could like someone without trusting them with his life and, if they allowed her to stay with them any longer and know where they were heading, that was exactly what they were going to be doing.

"Don't you get this guys, she has to go! As it is she already knows we're not heading up the coast, and as soon as we dump her we need to make a major change of direction and keep going!"

Maria glared at her boyfriend, clearly getting irritated by his attitude, which was nothing new really. "Not everyone is out to get us you know..." She pointed out. "In fact, from what I've heard, I reckon that the only reason she might report us is if she thinks that we're endangering Liz, or making her do something that she doesn't want to do..." It wasn’t that she didn’t understand her boyfriend’s tension, she did, she had lived through the time since they left Roswell too after all, but she honestly didn’t think that Serina was as much of a threat to them as Michael seemed to. Perhaps that was coloured by what she had been told by Liz after the whole deal with FutureMax, but then again perhaps not. The young woman seemed nice, kind and caring, and in truth, she couldn’t help but like her…

"Oh yeah, and if the FBI catches up with her she's going to ignore all their threats, especially when they start aiming them at that tyke of hers!" Michael scowled. He had nothing against Serina personally, but whether they liked it or not, he knew he was right on this occasion. Keeping someone with them for this long who was not going to be with them permanently, was a majorly bad idea as he had tried to point out over and over that day.

Even if she wouldn’t turn them in immediately, the FBI was after them, and whether Serina wanted to volunteer the information, he was pretty sure that once they found her, it wouldn’t be long until she was telling all… And that wasn’t him being bad tempered and grouchy as everyone seemed to think… Had everyone forgotten what they had done to Liz, or the time that Max had been held in the white room? Considering all that, he hardly thought that the FBI was above threatening a little boy to get the information they wanted, and given the choice of her son or them, surely everyone could see who she was going to choose?

He was just being realistic! Nice as she might be, Serina was a liability already, and that only got worse the longer that she stayed with them. And besides, he might not put it this way first, but Serina and her son were being put in danger from being with them, and perhaps there was a part of him that didn’t want that either… He had failed in his role as protector for the group once more, and he didn’t want more blood on his hands…

Max, who had been silent during this exchange, finally spoke now, voicing his agreement with Michael, much to his friend's surprise. “Michael’s right, she can’t stay…”

His sister was shocked too, and not only that, but disappointed it seemed. "But you can't just toss her out Max!" She protested loudly, only lowering her voice as she caught sight of Liz and Serina talking a little way off, and realised that they might well be able to hear everything that was being said.

Max frowned at her words. "I'm not talking about tossing her out Izzy!” He returned quickly, shaking his head as he paused for a moment. “…but Michael is right about her not being able to come with us... It’s dangerous; not only for us but for her too, she can’t be seen with us like this! Liz needs to talk to her, convince her that she's going to be okay and then we can leave her at the next town..." The plan came out of his mouth as soon as it entered his mind, but it was a pretty good one he felt. He knew that the older woman was concerned about her younger friend, so who better to talk to her...? He nodded, satisfied that the idea was sound.

“Serina please… I know this is difficult to understand, but the best thing for you is to split from us here…” Liz pleaded with her friend, swinging her slim, petite-built, jean-sheathed legs back and forth in the air as they sat on the edge of the van floor with their legs hanging out the gap created by the open door. The group had pulled up in a large parking lot just outside Trenton, what would be their last stop before leaving New Jersey.

Unfortunately, while she had agreed, and attempted to follow through with the idea which had been presented to her by the rest of the group a few hours ago, she was finding that her friend was far from willing to comply.

And it was difficult to try and insist, when someone was saying that they wanted to make sure you were okay... Serina had been playing on the 'friendship' card all day, and didn't seem ready to change her tune anytime soon... She was worried about Liz, or so she said...and the young brunette couldn't say that her attempts at persuasion would have gone any way to clearing that worry...

Not that she hadn't tried her best to insist that she was alright of course, but it wasn't always as simple as that...

Besides, she couldn’t help thinking of what Maria and Isabel had said earlier as well... Although Max and Michael agreed that Serina should leave them, the two girls had privately voiced their continued agreement with their earlier sentiments, regarding the fact that everyone should choose for themselves.

But then she couldn't just tell Serina everything of course, not yet anyway...if nothing else, it wouldn't be right to tell her, and then expect her even consider leaving and carrying that around for the rest of her life... To say nothing of the fact that the more she knew, if she did split from the group, the more danger she would be in…

Closing her eyes, she gave an internal groan, feeling the two conflicting voices continue to argue away mentally it seemed. Whatever she did, it seemed hopeless, and she was running out of things to say…

"How many times do I have to tell you?" Serina questioned, shaking her head as she looked back at her friend, oblivious to her internal turmoil. "I am not going anywhere or even thinking about leaving without knowing that you are perfectly fine, and from everything I’ve seen, you really aren't..." She sighed and shook her head, reaching out to the younger girl. "I care about you very much Liz, and I'm not going to leave you and let that guy destroy your life again!"

Hearing Serina once again cut into Max, Liz bit down on her lip. It wasn't fair she knew, not on this Max... Serina looked on him as this ogre - who had seduced a young girl, got her pregnant and then walked away - when really all he was a young man who was grieving over the loss of his love - who she happened to look like, albeit a couple of years previous... "Serina please, Max didn't destroy my life, and neither is he going to try to! He and the others care about my safety too; I promise they won't do anything to hurt me... You can't come with us though...it's just not possible!

"Oh no, he didn't destroy your life..." The older of the two girls looked unimpressed, ignoring the latter part of the younger girl’s statement for the moment at least. "I know that you would never regret having had Emily Liz, but that guy took advantage of you, surely you can see that? You were fourteen, and quite clearly he wasn't... I don't know if he made you do something that you didn't want or just convinced you that you were ready, but either way it was wrong!" Her tone was hard and full of conviction as she finished. "Maybe you don't look on it as ruining your life, or destroying it or whatever, but you lost your childhood because of him - he was older than you, and he should have known better!"

It was obvious to Liz that for the moment her friend had forgotten all about their initial subject of conversation. Right from meeting her, Serina had been more than a little vocal about her feelings regarding guys who left women or girls with kids. It was probably partially shaped by her own experience of course, which from what Liz had heard was less than pleasant... This was obviously a subject which she had been itching to broach for some time, her determination made more so as soon as she saw Max in the diner the previous night she was sure.

Unfortunately it was also a subject which made Liz incredibly uncomfortable... How was she supposed to explain to Serina that the guy she had met was not in fact her boyfriend, nor was he Emily's father...yet he did happen to look exactly like the man who had been both...? It was crazy but true, but she couldn’t tell her that…

"Max didn't take advantage of me, please believe me Rina..." She tried once more to make her friend understand although by now she knew well enough that she was fighting a losing battle...and after that one, hopeless attempt, she turned her efforts back to the initial subject of her friend leaving them.

Serina however, had no more intention of complying now than she had done earlier, and remained firm. If Liz was staying, she was staying...

For a moment, the younger of the two girls considered pretending that she was going to leave too, but she knew deep down it wouldn't work - if she then went off with the others anyway, there was no doubt that Serina would report what had happened to the authorities, and that was precisely what Michael was worried about.

Another option would be to go through with what she told her friend of course, to leave the others, but she had learn her lesson on that one the last time that she had left the group. Leaving might have seemed like the best thing at the time, but she couldn't lie to herself anymore... hard as it might be for Max and herself, she had to think of safety and stop pretending that she was normal...because she wasn't... As Isabel had so rightly said earlier in the day, they were like her, and understood about powers and such... To be alone with Emily would be incredibly hard, and more than a little dangerous... The group together was still in danger of course – after all, they were being chased by the FBI - but at least they understood and could talk to one another...

No, leaving wasn't an option for her, but that still left the question of what to do about Serina because quite simply her friend was so stubborn that she didn’t see her changing her mind on her determined stance and had no doubt that the young woman, if left involuntarily, would have no hesitation, and waste no time, in calling the proper authorities... So what was she to do…?

As Serina again repeated that she wasn't going anywhere, the young brunette found herself fast coming round to Maria and Isabel’s plan, at least in part, and took a breath as she prepared to take the plunge. "Serina, I know that you want to look out for me, and I don't want you to think that I don't appreciate it... But you have to understand, that by staying with us you're putting yourself, and Thomas, in danger!" Her voice was clear and firm as she spoke now, leaving the other woman in no doubt as to the fact that she was serious. "Max isn't going to hurt me, and nor are the others, but those guys who came to the apartment, they want to hurt us all, and that's why I had to leave..." She looked around, desperately wishing that Isabel or Maria would show up to help her with this although she knew that wasn’t going to happen – she was on her own…. "I don't want to put you guys in danger, and I can't explain what's going on to you right now... If you really are determined to come with us though, you have to understand the danger, and you should know that you don't have to do this..."

Listening to the younger girl as she gave her speak, Serina was shocked by the depth of emotion she saw in her friend's eyes. Her voice, and tone, all was grave, and it was clear that she was completely genuine. "But why can't you tell me Liz...? Is it drugs or something like that...? Did you get into trouble at one time and now it’s catching up with you...?" She continued to press despite her words, unwilling to just let it pass.

Liz gave a helpless look as she shrugged her shoulders. "I told you Rina, I can't..." She responded softly, wishing more than anything that she could explain everything to the woman who had been such a good friend to her. Right now she couldn’t though, she knew that, and it wasn’t going to change. "I can't explain, but we have to go, and you have to make your decision, are you staying, or going...?"

The question hung in the air for a moment as the two young women stood there before the older of the two nodded firmly as she made her choice. "I'm staying!" She responded in a determined voice, her tone such that said no one would sway her from this decision....
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Hey guys, I'm back...

For some of you I know this is long overdue, especially since I told you it would be up weeks ago. And in truth, the chapter has been ready that long, but the week after I posted the last chapter on here, work became even more crazy than it has been recently. It just seems like there's no slowing down of the work coming in, and the week before last there were days I barely got home before eight at night. Maybe this sounds like a complete excuse, but it's really not. I DO want to post this, I don't like leaving you all hanging, but right now, I'm so busy I don't know what I'm doing half the time, so I'm gonna have to ask for you to be patient again. I'm going to post when I can, but I'm not going to promise things I can't stick to.

All that said, I just want to say thank you all soooo much for the feedback you've left. You guys are wonderful, and I appreciate it so mucha dn am just so glad you're all still enjoying the story.

Dream Weaver - Probably not as soon as you would have liked, but here's the next chapter
begonia9508 - The problem is that the longer Serina stays, the more involved she becomes in the eyes of the FBI...but as you say, she's stubborn, and doesn't seem likely to leave anytime soon.
uw51 - LOL they make things more 'interesting'? - well I guess that's one way to put it
Natalie36 - I don't think it's easy for anyone right now, and as for Serina, I don't know about her laying into Max, but I don't think she's going to forget what she thinks happened.
roswell3053 - will Serina being there help, or hurt? - guess you need to continue reading to find out :wink:
Timelord31 - Good question, and one which I imagine is going to have to be addressed soon.
roswell4life glad to have pleased you :) thanks for reading, hope you like the new part.
Flamehair - Glad you liked it. I think think in some ways she's been mothering Liz, she's concerned, and worried and maybe in a lot of ways that still wouldn't explain her putting herself in danger, but I guess that's just the sort of person she is. Thomas is her only family, and friends are therefore very important, she just wants to know that Liz and Emily are okay...
Emz80m - Wow...you really don't like her lol. Unfortunately if they leave her behind, she'll be straight on the blower to the police or someone like that to report them...do they really need that? How far would they get?
kittens - nice idea, shame they weren't fast enough to think of something like that.
isabelle - Thanks hun, so glad to know you're still enjoying the story. I think you're right about the idea being as much Liz's idea as her own, but unfrotunately it just doesn't seem to be working. As for Max, I agree, I feel sorry for Liz, but I also feel sorry for him. This has to be hard for all of them, and as you say, he's getting the blame for something that he didn't do... Unfortunately, if they were going to use a story like kittens suggested, they'd have needed to do it from the start...and Liz and Max didn't think fast enough so... Hope I won't disappoint with this next.
Alien614 - Here I am.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys, and hello to any lurkers out there. I hope anyone reading the story is enjoying it. Here's the new chapter, hope it's okay.

~Kat~

Chapter 46

“Maxwell! A word…” Michael’s tone was hard, his voice short and clipped as he turned to his friend. After sitting, silently fuming in the van for hours, and now listening to the others talking about who was going to share with who, he felt he had to say something…

Serina was a liability, it was as simple as that! Isabel and Maria said she was a lovely girl, and Liz said she was a good friend, but so what? It wasn’t as though he was claiming she wasn’t, he just knew that her staying here was a bad idea, even if no one else seemed to able to get that into their heads. Just because she was a nice girl didn’t mean that her being here wasn’t dangerous, for both them and her… She didn’t know what she was getting into, but even so, just by being here she would amass information which, if it got into the wrong hands, could be highly perilous.

Didn’t anyone get how dangerous this was, didn’t they see that this was about the worst thing that could happen?

“Excuse us…we’ll be back in a minute…” Leaving the others to finish filling out the forms with their current aliases, Max stepped back from the counter and moved over to the side to speak to him.

“Max you cannot seriously be saying you’ve just accepted that she’s staying with us! It’s crazy!” Shaking his head, Michael clenched his right hand into a fist, slamming it against his open left hand in frustration. “She’s a liability, a danger, and we need to get rid of her!” He stated firmly, repeating the argument he had been putting forward since the moment she joined them and turning to watch Serena as she spoke with some of the others.

In all honesty, Max couldn’t say that he didn’t agree with his friend’s analysis of the situation, but the fact remained that as Liz had pointed out, if they left Serina and Thomas somewhere without her having agreed to it, the older woman would be straight on the phone to the authorities the first chance she got. “It’s not that simple Michael…” He started, trying to work out how to make him see the problem. “She-“

Cutting in mid sentence Michael looked back at Max. “Why? Why isn’t it that simple…?” He paused a moment and looked back over at the others. “Right now, she knows practically nothing about us…if she stays she’s going to learn more and more, but right now, other than Liz, we’re practically strangers… All we have to do is convince her to get an individual room, and then we can all leave tonight while she’s asleep…” He nodded to himself, apparently deciding that he liked the idea as he continued. “We can be gone before she wakes, and how’s she to know about us being able to change our appearances… As long as we keep going a while, we should be well out of the area and then we can leave all this behind us.”

“Michael…” Trying once more to speak, Max found himself again cut off before he got more than one full word out.

“Tell me it doesn’t make sense Maxwell… Tell me that her being here doesn’t make this all a hundred times more dangerous!” He challenged angrily. The girls all seemed to think that he had something against Serina and Maria had been shooting him dagger-like glares all afternoon, but why wouldn’t they understand? Michael didn’t honestly have anything against the woman and her son… They were probably perfectly nice, but they were also a liability and that was something that they just couldn’t afford. They had messed up once before and Liz had died because of it – he wasn’t going to risk losing anyone else…

“Michael I-“

“Max…” Michael’s voice trailed off into silence as he received a dark look from Max.

Satisfied that he would now be able to get more than one word out of his mouth without being interrupted, Max took a breath and tried again. “Michael I agree, yes, it’s dangerous, but Liz said that this is the only way… If we leave Serina here, she will go to the authorities in an instant, and even with our ability to disguise ourselves just how far do you truly reckon we’d get…” He paused a moment to glance over at the others who were still busy at the counter is seemed. “Besides, having come this far with us she has obviously become a target herself, and I’m not about abandon her now…”

“But-“

“NO!” Max’s voice held an air of authority now as he stepped up as what he was – the leader of the group. “This discussion is over Michael! We are not leaving her!” The statement was firm and stood no nonsense, this was no longer to be debated, he had made his decision…

Glowering Michael clenched his hand angrily again but said nothing more, recognising when he was beaten, as they headed back to rejoin the others.

“Alright Mrs…” The young woman behind the reception desk paused a moment to read off the name which had been given on the forms. “…Jones…” I have two rooms, one with four beds and the other with three both next to one another if that’s acceptable…” She sent a look of apology in the direction of Liz and Serina who were currently holding Emily and Thomas respectively. “I’m afraid we don’t do any larger rooms, so unless you want to get an extra room…”

“It’s fine, the kids can sleep with us no problems!” Liz responded quickly, realising that the expense of another room was the last thing that they would need.

“Are you sure…?” Maria looked from one mother to the other in concern. “It’s no trouble getting another room you know...”

“Yes, but it’s cheaper this way isn’t it darling…” Michael commented as he walked up behind her, flashing a fake smile as he used the pet name, slipping his arm around her waist despite the fact that they had been fighting in order to put forward the image which would be expected if they were as had been registered, husband and wife.

“Yes, but then if we got another room we would be able to be on our own sweetheart…” His girlfriend returned with an equally fake smile as she stepped away from him again. She still clearly wasn’t happy with him, and this latest issue was not going to help matters…

“Ah, but you got the double room last time…it’s it our turn next if we get it anyway…” Kyle joined in the discussion, reaching out to take Isabel’s hand with a smile. “Not that I wouldn’t welcome the chance to spend some quality time with my beautiful girl here, it just depends on funds you know…”

Isabel raised an eyebrow and attempted to keep from laughing at Kyle’s actions, biting down on her lip in order to keep a straight face and flashing a smile in his direction. They were really nothing more than friends, although good ones at that, but there was no harm in the receptionist thinking otherwise…

Max seemed to be the only one who was unamused by the performance the group put on, simply shaking his head. Any other time it would be fine, and he knew that they meant well, but today all he wanted to do was just get the rooms sorted with as little fuss as possible. “If Lisa and Suzy say they’ll be okay, I’m sure you guys can manage to spend a couple of night’s apart so we’ll be fine with the one…” He stated using the aliases which had been decided on earlier and effectively preventing further discussion on the subject.

“Alrighty then, if you’re all sure…?” The young woman gave them one last chance to change their minds before entering something onto the computer, announcing the cost and then handing over two sets of keys on receipt of the appropriate payment. “Here are your keys, your rooms are number thirty-five and thirty-six and that’s on the third floor… If there’s anything else you need just say, and I hope you enjoy your stay…”

“But I’m too big to go in your bed now!” Thomas objected as his mother got ready for bed.

Serina sighed and nodded, pausing what she was doing to sit down on the side of the bed and lean over towards her son. “I know sweetie, but right now we don’t have a choice… It’s just for a couple of nights or so…” She tried to coax him gently while kicking off her shoes.

“Maybe we should have gone for the three rooms as opposed to two…?” Isabel suggested softly as she walked in from the bathroom in the shorts and vest top which served as her pyjamas.

Turning slightly so that she could look at the other girl, Serina shook her head. “No, honestly it’s fine…” She insisted, returning her focus to her son as she began to pull back the covers. “I know it’s not ideal honey but-“

“There’s no room!” The little boy shook his head stubbornly, refusing to give in.

Wincing slightly at the volume of his voice, Serina shot a sharp look across the room to where Liz and Emily already lay asleep in another bed. Thankfully, it seemed, the pair were hard and fast and Thomas’ show of rebellion hadn’t disturbed them. That didn’t mean that it wouldn’t if he continued though, and she looked back at her son quickly, motioning with her hands for him to lower his voice. “Thomas there are people trying to sleep here!” She stated in a low, yet firm voice.

“Sorry…” He gave a sheepish look.

The apology was so sweet and just so typical of Thomas that Serina couldn’t stay angry at him. Sighing, she shook her head and reached to ruffle his hair with her hand. “What am I going to do with you eh…?” She questioned rhetorically with another sigh before making one more attempt. If he still refused, she’d just have to appropriate another blanket and make up a bed for herself on the floor she imagined, although that wasn’t exactly what she wanted to do, not least because it was cold outside and a bed was far warmer than the floor… “Thomas please… Mommy needs to sleep too you know, and that pillow looks so comfortable…”

Maria, who was already in bed but not yet asleep, had turned on her side to watch the exchange between mother and son and she couldn’t help smiling at the view. She hadn’t yet told the others what Liz had said about ‘Serina’…she wasn’t certain that she ever would, but somehow she just had this feeling that it had been the right thing to do for the older woman to come with them.

Serina was a lovely woman it seemed, and she had helped Liz so much… She was someone that Maria hoped to get to know a whole lot better over the coming weeks and months and she hoped her arrival might be the sign of a new start for them all… “Serina…?”

Serina turned in surprise as she was about to climb into bed. “Oh, sorry Maria…I hope that he didn’t wake you…” She apologised softly.

“He didn’t…it’s okay, I’m not really tired anyway…” Sitting up, Maria pushed back her covers and swung her legs over the side of the bed, patting the mattress beside her gently. “I think it’s all the night-shifts you know…my body clock is kinda backward to say the least…”

“Yeah…tell me about it…” Serina turned her head to check on Thomas and, seeing that he seemed to have drifted off smiled as she pulled the covers back up over him. Her knuckle brushed against his cheek for a moment as she hesitated, before turning, standing up and crossing the room.

Seeing that the other woman seemed to be accepting her invitation, Maria smiled as she pulled her legs up under her and then waited for Serina to sit down.

“I suppose you’d like to know why I lied to you yesterday when you asked about Liz…” Serina commented somewhat awkwardly. She wanted to demand to know why they had left Asbury in such a rush, or who they were in danger from of course, she wanted to know what was going on with the group, but knew only too well from Liz’s earlier responses that she wouldn’t get any answers to those questions.

“What?” Maria looked a little surprised. “N-no, of course not… You didn’t tell us about her because you didn’t think she would want you to I’m assuming, and in my book that’s a good enough reason…” Pausing a moment, she glanced over to where two brunettes lay sleeping in the bed. A small smile played over her lips as she watched them a moment before looking back at Serina. “Actually, I was going to say thank you…for looking after her…and being a good friend…”

“You don’t think that I stopped being a good friend when I insisted on coming with you…?” Serina raised an eyebrow questioningly as she drew a line in the cover with her finger.

“No, I think that you proved how good a friend you were when you did that…” She responded honestly. “Serina, I know this is difficult, and you don’t know what’s going on at the moment, but if you’re willing to come with us despite all that, I think that Liz was very lucky to meet you…”

The older woman gave an awkward smile. “She reminds me of myself a couple of years back… I think that’s one of the reasons I was so drawn to her… I guess I wanted to mother her a bit, if that makes any sense… She’s had it so hard, with Emily, and then her parents dying… I couldn’t help but want to help her – you know…?”

The belief that Mr and Mrs Parker were dead made Maria blink, causing her to catch her breath and hold it for a moment, to reassure herself it was just a story that Liz had made up to explain their absence in her life likely. She might only have had a short time with the younger girl, but surely she would have told them had that happened in her reality… “Uh…yeah, she’s had it really tough…” She swallowed and responded when she had gathered herself a bit.

Luckily, on this instance the other woman wasn’t watching her, so didn’t realise that she had shocked Maria. She looked up just as Maria was agreeing to her comment, and nodded. “Of course you’d know more about it all than me… She doesn’t like to talk about it much…”

“Yeah, well I guess it’s hard for her to talk about…loosing people close to you, you know…?” Struggling over her words, Maria fought to get past the lump which formed in her throat as she began to think about Alex, and Liz… It was still hard and difficult…

“I guess it is…” She shrugged. “I never really went through that, but then my mom and dad were dead by the time I was three… My whole life I was being shunted from one foster home to another…until I had Thomas of course…”

“I’m sorry…” Reaching out, Maria touched her arm in a sympathetic manner.

“The way life goes I guess…” The older woman shrugged it off, giving the impression that it didn’t matter to her although most people would suspect it was little more than an act. “At least I got to stay in the same area…so I had my friends…” She trailed off into silence for a moment as her head turned and her gaze drifted to the bed where her son was sleeping. “And now I have Thomas – he’s all the family I need…”

“That’s beautiful…”

Serina smiled and shook her head. “It’s more than that; it’s true… Thomas is everything to me, just as I know Emily is to Liz…” Seeming to hesitate as she finished, she was silent for another moment before looking back to the girl she was speaking to. “I don’t know how Max can turn his back on his own flesh and blood so easily…”

Although the comment was made in an even tone, there was no hiding the feelings which were hidden behind it. Maria bit down on her lip and swallowed as she shook her head, feeling a need to defend her friend. “It’s not that simple Serina, it’s-“

“Complicated?” The second of the two women interrupted before the first could finish. She didn’t want to sound argumentative, or get into a fight with this woman. She thought that Maria seemed like a perfectly nice girl, but she couldn’t help it… Over and over she had heard the same thing from Liz, and it was only to obvious that both fully meant what they were saying, but she just didn’t know how they could believe such a thing… “I’ve heard it all before Maria, Liz has said exactly the same thing, but I can’t help asking why…?”

Sighing, she shook her head back and forth repeatedly. “My boyfriend said from the start that he wasn’t going to be involved, and that was fine. Much as I hated him for it, he made his choice, which he was entitled to do, and then I made my choice and I will never regret it… From what I’ve heard from Liz though, Max was involved and now he isn’t… Now I can understand if he and Liz aren’t together anymore, that’s their business, but what can be so complicated that would make him turn away from his child?”

Maria drew in a sharp breath as she listened, tears burning in her eyes as the words Serina used dug up memories from the back of her mind. She had asked the exact same things about her own father, how he could be there one day and gone the next… How he could suddenly just cease to care… Under any other circumstance practically, she was certain that she would be right there with Serina on this, but this wasn’t a normal circumstance, and the fact was that this was more complicated than the other woman could ever imagine… “I know what you’re thinking Serina, but please, trust me on this, things aren’t as they seem, and I can’t explain that, but really, it’s not as simple as you make it sound…”

“What, he didn’t take advantage of her, he didn’t have sex with a minor?” The feelings which had been building for weeks now had been given an outlet, and Serina wasn’t ready to let it rest yet… “You’re right, I don’t know what happened, and if you or Liz won’t tell me, I guess I never will, but there’s one thing that’s pretty obvious to me – there is a seventeen year old there with a two year old child… That means she was pregnant at fourteen, and from what I can see of Max, he wasn’t the same age…” Trailing off, she had to pause a moment to catch her breath but soon continued with the same strength and emotion as before. “Now, where I grew up he would probably have been locked up but I guess he got round it by convincing her he’d stay with her…”

“NO!”

The two women sat on the bed turned suddenly at the sound of the new voice, looking over to find Liz sat looking straight back at them.

“No…” She repeated more softly now as she pushed back her covers to come and join them so as not to disturb Thomas, Emily or Isabel. “That’s not what happened Serina… I know what you think, and I know you’re only trying to stick up for me, but you’re wrong about Max…” Shaking her head, she bit down on her lip and struggled to find the words which might say what she needed. “Please, try to understand, please try to accept what I’m saying… Max isn’t the bad guy here!”

Listening to her pleas in silence, Serina shook her head. “I’m trying to understand Liz, I really am, but I’m coming up blank and all you ever seem to do is say that you can’t explain to me…” She looked from one girl to another questioningly. “What’s going on…?”
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Hey guys, hope you all had a good Easter.

I had meant to put this up over the weekend, but circumstances with internet access meant that I was unable to do that. Hope it's worth the additional wait :wink:

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback!

Natalie36 - can't disagree with you there
begonia9508 - I would point out that she wasn't pushing this time orginally... She made a comment to Maria, and what came of it was yet more confusion... She is trying to understand.
Emz80m - I'm getting the feeling you don't like Serina... You don't have any idea why I would be getting that idea do you hehe Thanks for reading though, I'm glad you're still enjoying it even if you don't like Serina.
Flamehair - I'm glad you think I explained it okay, because I wasn't sure that I had. I think for Serina, the mothering instinct might be even stronger considering that she is a mother too. As for the explanation, well why don't you read and see :). Thanks for reading hun.
roswell3053 - I'm sorry you're not liking Serina...I'm not sure if this next will help any, but I hope you'll like it anyway.
Dream Weaver - Thanks for sticking in there, sorry if it's getting repetative.
PML - Only a matter of time...? You think...? Well how about we see lol
Adrianneleigh - I understand you're frustrated, sorry you're not liking Serina, but honestly, the last bit in the last chapter wasn't Serina trying to push or control Liz... She started off talking to Maria, she's simply trying to understand, and maybe yes her thoughts are coloured by her own experiences, but isn't that human nature?

I'm sorry you guys aren't liking Serina at the moment, I wasn't trying to make her irritating, it's just her way, she's eager to try and understand, and maybe she's getting the wrong end of the stick, or coming up with 3 as a sum to 2 + 2, but she is trying... I don't know what you're going to make of it, but I'd love to hear anyway, here's the next chapter, thanks to anyone who's reading and sticking with the story, hope you enjoy.

Chapter 47

An uncomfortable silence settled over the three young women as Serina continued to look questioningly at Liz and Maria. She needed answers – just telling her that they couldn’t explain simply wasn’t going to cut it – not if, as they said she was now in danger too because she had come with them. She had tried to accept her friend’s silence, but try as she might, she just couldn’t…she needed to understand… “Liz…?”

Swallowing and biting her lip, the young brunette looked up and shook her head. “I want to Serina, I really do, but I can’t…”

“Alright, so what if I go to the police next time I get chance?” The suggestion slipped from her lips without a thought.

Maria’s head shot up at this. Would she really do that? Looking back at the older woman she shook her head frantically. “Please, I know it’s difficult for you being in the dark like this, but please I’m begging you, don’t do that!

Shocked by the emotion she could hear in Maria’s voice, Serina seemed to start. Threats like that probably wouldn’t help her cause, she realised. She had been pleading with Liz to tell her with the promise that she could trust her – to say she would go straight to the authorities the first chance she got hardly seemed to compliment that assurance. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that, I wouldn’t do that, really, honestly I wouldn’t…” She insisted as she attempted to repair the damage her previous words had done, looking from one girl to the other with pleading eyes. “It’s just I keep saying things and you say I don’t understand – well I want to understand, please, tell me what’s going on.

Liz looked over at Maria helplessly. There was nothing she wanted more than to be able to explain to her friend, to be able to make her understand why she was alone, and enable Serina to see why Max wasn’t to blame. It just wasn’t that simple though…

Or was it…?

“Alright, I’ll tell you!” Maria announced after a moment’s thought, making a decision that she just prayed she wouldn’t regret. “You have to promise to let me finish though, because some of this is going to sound pretty crazy…”

Serina nodded. “Thank you…”

The other girl shook her head. “No, you’re right, you’re involved in this now, you should know what’s going on…” Pausing a minute to collect her thoughts, she looked back at Liz, reaching out to squeeze her hand gently, knowing this would be just as worrying for her as for the others. It was something that needed to be done though… “The FBI is after us!” Drawing in a deep breath she continued quickly before she could have second thoughts. “They want to kill us, and we’ve been on the run from them for over a year now…”

“The FBI?” Serina shook her head in disbelief. “But why, why would the FBI be interested in teenagers…?” She questioned, the explanation so far creating far more questions than it was answering.

Liz swallowed. “B-because they’re not normal teenagers…” She supplied softly.

“I-I don’t understand…”

Maria offered her a small smile, designed to show understanding and reassurance, and nodded. “I know, but this is where the letting us finish comes in okay…?” She told the other girl softly.

Serina nodded silently, indicating for them to go on.

“Max, Michael and Isabel – they’re not completely human…”

“Oh right, so what are they then, animal – feral children or something?” Serina’s laugh turned into something more like a cough as she caught sight of the very serious expressions which covered her friend’s face. Her eyes widening in shock, she swallowed, trying to get past a lump in her throat. “Y-you’re serious…”

Both other girls nodded seriously.

“Why would you say that; it sounds ridiculous…”

Chewing on her lip and playing with her hair the youngest of the three women hesitated before speaking up. “Because it’s true…”

“S-so what are you saying…? If they’re not human according to you…”

“We’re hybrids…” A fourth voice no joined the others, causing the first three women to look round. Isabel walked over to the bed, offering a reassuring smile to everyone – Serina to convince the older woman she didn’t want to hurt her, and to Liz and Maria to assure them she wasn’t angry. It hadn’t been planned to tell Serina so soon, if at all, but if Liz and Maria were doing so, she had no doubt they had good reason… She trusted them…they knew what they were doing…

Settling on the bed next to Liz, Isabel looked back at Serina. “Max, Michael and I aren’t from around here Serina… We’ve lived all our lives on earth, but we were sent here from somewhere far more distant…”

Liz and Maria, who knew this tale already, already looked over, trying to gage the reaction of the other woman. She would either think they were all completely crazy, or she might just believe them… Either way, it would be a question of what she would do next…

“So you’re saying you’re a-aliens…?” Serina couldn’t keep a note of scepticism out of her voice although, to give her credit, she did try. It just seemed so incredible though... She had always been a scientist, and her physics studies had included some astronomy, but to claim not only that there was life on other planets, but that she was looking at someone from one of those other planets right now…someone who looked almost like a glamour model out of Vogue taboot… She shook her head slightly. “I believe that there are other lifeforms out there, I really do, but to say they look like us, it’s just so unlikely, the chances that their genetic makeup would create an appearance that would blend in with us…” She shook her head again.

Liz offered her a small smile, recognising only too well the science-side of Serina which was coming into play, and reached out to touch her arm. “They’re part human Serina…just like me…”

Her friend looked at her in surprise, her eyes widening. “But Isabel only spoke of herself, Max and Michael…you…”

“Yes…” As the youngest of the group nodded, the oldest of the girls trailed off, clearly still trying to work out what to think. It was understandable, what they were telling her was pretty incredible, and it wasn’t going to get any less so for a while… “I used to be completely human Serina…but having Emily changed me…”

“Because Max was the father…?” Trying to take this in, Serina nodded again as she focused on something she thought she knew something about.. “But why then did he leave you – surely he owed it to you to stick around after that…?”

Maria and Isabel were silent now as they watched the petite brunette bite down on her lip, clearly struggling. Much as they wanted to take away the hurt and anguish though, they couldn’t, and nor could they do this bit - this was her tale to tell, not theirs...

Blinking, she looked down for a moment, collecting herself before looking back at her friend. “My Max did…” She responded softly.

Serina’s brow creased in confusion as she took in the language she used. Her Max…that suggested… She shook her head. “Y-our Max…I-I don’t get it – so you’re saying this other guy is a clone or something?” The whole conversation seemed somewhat surreal to the woman who until a few minutes ago had been completely in the dark so why not add in cloning too…?

Noting her somewhat flippant, if dismissive tone, Maria and Isabel both smiled. They had a feeling this was going to work out. It was a lot to take in for sure, but Serina seemed to be doing just fine… She was shocked of course, sure, but that was more than understandable… The important thing was that she was still listening…

Liz knew that this next could be the breaker though – Serina was a scientist and had studied Physics, but would she believe in alternate universes…? Swallowing nervously, she took another moment before responding finally. “No…” She replied in a serious tone free from any sign of amusement for the moment. “No, he’s an alternate version of Max…” Pausing a moment, she tried to collect her thoughts once more, working out exactly what she needed to say. “I’m not from this reality Serina – I didn’t run away from home in the way that you think… Max, my Max, Emily’s father, sent us here to save us”

Serina’s eyes darted from one woman to another and then to the third as she tried to work out if this was just some huge joke. If it had been later in the year, she would almost have expected someone to jump out any minute and cry ‘April Fools’… Or maybe they were pretending to come clean to her in order to hide what was really going on…? What a thing to say if they weren’t telling the truth though… The tale seemed so incredible, surely they could come up with something more feasible, more possible, more realistic, as an excuse - why lie about something like that…?

“It’s true Serina… Our Liz, who incidentally was the same age as us, died a couple of months back now…” Isabel told her in the same soft voice.

“But you said she had run away…” The older woman pointed out, remembering the first time she had met Maria and Isabel back in the diner in Asbury. “You said you were looking for her because she had run away…”

Liz nodded. “And I did… That much is true… I ran into Maria and the others the night I arrived here… They persuaded me to go back to their hotel to talk, and I stuck around for a good part of the next day… But it was just too hard – Me being there was incredibly hard for Max, and it wasn’t much easier for me… I thought that it was best I left and tried to start afresh…” She tried to explain.

So you’re an alien hybrid, and you came from another reality – anything more you want to drop on me…?” The oldest of the group questioned as she looked around. Biting her lip, she shook her head slightly as they made no response, still unsure what to think. “I-I think I need to get a bit of air… I’ll be back later okay…?”

Without waiting for a response, she stood up and grabbed her coat from where it was lying on a stool. Glancing over at Thomas, upon seeing he was still sleeping she didn’t bother stopping, simply continuing on out of the room and closing the door behind her with a soft click.

Maria looked over at the others. “Should we tell the guys…Do you think she’s going to go to the police?” She questioned softly once she had gone, suddenly feeling increasingly uncertain over the revelations which had been made.

Isabel remained silent, but it was Liz that answered as she shook her head. “No… She just needs a little time Maria… You said yourself it was a lot to take in… I trust her though and she trusts us… She motioned towards the bed where Thomas was sleeping peacefully. “No mother would leave their child with anyone they believed to be a danger…” She assured the others with a sense of conviction which only another mother could manage they were sure. “She’s not going to go and turn us in and she’ll be back soon enough, she just needs a little time to get her head around things…”

While Liz was busy reassuring the other girls, Serina was already on her way out of the hotel they were staying in. Looking around, she took note of the street signs so as to be able to pinpoint where she needed to come back to, and headed on up the street as she moved away from the building.

And as she walked, the conversation she had just had with Liz, Maria and Isabel began to rerun in her mind, going over every word that had been spoken. Aliens, alternate realities, hybrids…? It all sounded like something out of a sci-fi movie, and yet the look on their faces said it was anything but.

Did she really believe it all, did she really believe that aliens existed…? It reminded her of an essay she had written that first year of college. She was a smart young woman who had argued the pros and cons, and in the end concluded that yes, she did…

The difference between then and now was that she wasn’t talking about them being on some distant planet though, or being tall, green and slimy as popular culture portrayed them… Instead, she was talking about people who looked just like her…who were right now here, on earth…

The strange thing was perhaps that she didn’t feel scared… Surprised, unnerved or uncertain perhaps, but she wasn’t scared of any of them… Liz was a friend, and the others…well…she hoped they were too…

“Am I going crazy believing them, are they just trying to spin me a line…?” She pondered to herself softly, arguing internally the basis for what they were claiming.

But what could be so much of a secret that they would come up with something like this…? And why would the FBI be after them if it wasn’t true…?

Alternate realities too… She had wondered on the age difference between Liz and Max previously, so it would clear up a few questions… Unfortunately it posed even more, and she wasn’t really sure what to think about it.

The theory of an alternate reality was simple really…there were so many choices a person made even just in a single day, and those choices could each produce a different future. Scientists had spoken about the idea for possibly hundreds of years, but there had never been anything which came close to proving that such realities actually existed…

And, always assuming that alternate Liz was born at the same time as her counterpart in this reality, that meant that Liz wasn’t just talking about alternate realities , she was also talking about time travel...

The part of her brain which had lain dormant for so long now was beginning to get into gear as she tried to relate what she knew with what she was being told. Using her critical thinking to try and compare the stories she had been given, and using the little she actually knew to be true.

And then there was Alex too – she hadn’t thought about it before, but if Liz wasn’t from around here, did that mean she didn’t know Alex, or that she simply knew another version of him… Did it mean that the others would know what had happened to him, enable her to get in touch with him…?

A vague memory began to surface in her mind of a conversation which she shared with him not so long after they first met. He had been asking about Thomas’ father at first, although as he realised she was uncomfortable with such a subject, the topic had soon shifted to focus more on him as she had asked him about himself…

He’d been pretty vague really. Sometimes she could have sworn that he just zoned out, but he was a nice guy, and she seemed to remember him mentioning women troubles of his own. Itsy? Bitsy? No, that wasn’t right was it… It was…Izzy…

Her steps slowed as the name sprang out at her, remembering how Max had called his sister that exact name a couple of times in the van. Of course it was a common shortening for Isabel, no reason really to think it meant anything, except that she already had a connection between the group and Alex because of Liz…

An image flashed into her mind, but it was gone before she could focus. It looked like metal, with writing on it… Shaking her head, she pushed her hair back from her face and continued on as her brain continued to work through the situation.

She couldn’t quite forget the image though, as though she knew it were something important, and yet couldn’t remember it properly… It felt almost like the time when she had hit her head when she was little and got concussion she mused, tapping her fingers absently against her leg as she walked along now. If only she could place the image, even that might help, but it just seemed to be floating there without anything to connect it…

Why had she thought of it, what was it? The blurred outlines looked like something which would be found in the ancient pyramids, or more locally in one of the Indian reservations…

Shaking her head again, she attempted to dismiss the puzzle for the moment as she resumed her musing on the more immediate issue of Liz and the others. Did she believe them – she knew it sounded crazy, especially with thinking of herself as being scientific minded, but she did… There was just something about the way they spoke, the way they looked…

Or maybe it was something so crazy that it had to hold some truth…

Where had they come from though, what were they doing here, what made them so different…? Questions began to build up in her mind as she settled on a conclusion and she knew that the only way to find out was to ask…

And she wasn’t certain she was ready to do that just yet… Glancing around, a dim light in the window of a nearby all-night café caught her mind and, realising that getting something to be a drink wouldn’t be a bad idea, she crossed the road carefully and headed inside to continue her thinking in a slightly more comfortable location.
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Hey guys *waving nervously from behind my computer*

I know I've been a no show for waay too long. Even when I've been bad at updating, I've rarely left it this long and for that I'm really sorry. I'm just having a really bad time at the moment RL-wise... Work is crazy, I'm tired and weary. Writing really isn't flowing a lot at the moment, and I'm going to be honest, my motivation had been pretty much non-existant recently. I have been forced to take a break from rps I'm in, because I just don't have time, and while I had hoped the break would get my mind back into writing, I'm not too sure it's worked... I am trying though, honest, and whether you believe me or not, I feel terrible for leaving everyone waiting like this and I hope not to leave it this long again if I can at all help it.

Thanks for the feedback as always though, just so sorry to keep you waiting...

begonia9508 - thanks for sticking with the story, glad you enjoyed the new part.
Flamehair - have faith, I think the only thing Serina is likely to drink is coffee at the cafe. Besides, if she told anyone really wouldn't they be likely to think she was just crazy?
Natalie36 - Thanks for reading.
Emz80m - what happened - no I hate Serina this time hun :wink:
Dream Weaver - Well I'm going to be frank, you're going to be wondering for a while...sorry...
roswell3053 - Michael, blow a gasket, never? lol.
DeamerLaure - Well thanks for doing so now anyway, I love hearing what people think! I'm glad you think that it was right to tell Serina, I don't think they had that much choice by the time it was done, but still, as you say, it must be difficult for Maira and Isabel, although I would include Liz in there too, it's a huge thing for any of them to let someone in like that I'm sure. but hopefully as you say, it'll be the right thing to do. As for Max and Liz, give them time, it won't be easy but I'm sure they'll get there!
Isabelle - Thanks hun :D so glad you liked it! As you say, there may be bumps still to come - Michael to deal with for one, but I have faith in our little group hehe. And as for photos, maybe the girls just didn't think of that under the circumstances/ or when it comes to the wedding picture of course that woudl be in the room Max was staying in I imagine.

Okay, so I know it's been a long time, but here's the new chapter and I would love to hear what you think. Hope anyone reading will enjoy it.

Kat

Chapter 48

“YOU DID WHAT?” Kyle’s eyes widened in disbelief as he listened to the girl’s tale.

“Hey, lower the volume a bit will you…” Max hissed, glancing consciously over towards where Thomas and Emily were still sleeping it seemed.

“Don’t you care about this one bit, that they just came out and told her…?” Michael turned to his friend now. “Not to mention the fact that she then ran out, I mean who knows where she could be now!”

“She went out to get some air, she needed to get out for a bit…” Liz jumped in, keeping her voice low so as not to disturb the children.

“So she says…she could be at the police station now just turning us all in!” The protector of the group was quick to return, glaring at the brunette.

“Michael will you please keep your voice down!” Max requested shortly. He understood his friend’s upset, of course he did. He couldn’t say that he wasn’t somewhat surprised and even alarmed by it himself, but that was no reason to yell…

“Don’t you get it Max, she’s not your kid!”

Kyle, Isabel and Maria, all of whom had been trying to speak suddenly fell silent at this, looking from Liz to Max as they watched to see what reaction they would have. The pair in question, looked more stunned than anything at first, after which for Max anger replaced his shock as he rounded on his friend. “Do you ever care about anyone but yourself?”

It was an unfair comment he knew, but then Michael’s had been a low blow too, as he had realised the moment the words escaped his mouth. That didn’t mean that he was going to lie down and just accept all of this though. After everything they had said, everything he had tried to do to keep them safe, to hear that.

“No, now would be a good time to be quiet, not to speak!” Maria looked over at her boyfriend as he opened his mouth, silencing him quickly with a single look before turning back to Max and Kyle. “I told her…”

“WHAT?”

This time they weren’t as lucky as the first, and upon noticing that her daughter had begun to stir, Liz glared at Michael before getting up and excusing herself from the group to go see to her.

“Mama!”

From his spot on the bed opposite, Max had a perfect view of the brunette as she made her way over to the bed, taking a seat on the side as the little girl there sat up, reaching out for her mother. Although Maria and his sister were continuing to talk, trying to explain exactly why they had told Serina, it seemed to him that their voices faded into the background as he watched Liz nursing Emily in her arms after lifting the little girl onto her lap, speaking soft, unknown words which didn’t carry as far as his ears.

“Maxwell…”

Michael’s voice penetrated his thoughts, causing him to blink as he refocused his attention on his friends. “What…sorry…”

Maria, who had noticed his wandering eyes, couldn’t help smiling as he made his apology. Her boyfriend was less understanding though, a scowl marring his features as he continued to complain about what had happened. “We all knew we couldn’t tell anyone, it’s too dangerous, what made you even think that-“

“Liz…” Maria interrupted with a single name and no explanation.

Her friends looked at her questioningly. “Y-ou mean…?” Kyle motioned silently towards the brunette who sat a little way off, not wanting to be rude and feeling somewhat uncomfortable about talking about her while she was in the same room.

“No…” A wistful look settled over Maria’s eyes as she shook her head. “I mean our Liz, I mean Liz Evans, who was killed back in Bridgeport…” She responded softly, her eyes moistening as she thought about the friend they had lost.

Everyone was silent for a moment. They hardly ever spoke about Liz now, and certainly they never spoke so candidly about what had happened… It was too painful…

Of course that didn’t mean it wasn’t painful now…for it was… All of a sudden Maria’s mind was flooded with memories from the past, things she had done with Liz, places they had gone, happy times they had shared…and even ones that were not so happy… Drawing in a deep breath, she swallowed, trying to rid herself of the lump which stuck in her throat now but it was just…

Michael didn’t need to look at his girlfriend to know what was going on in her mind and reaching out he quickly changed seats, grabbing the spot which Liz had vacated earlier in order to take Maria into his arms, wrapping them around her tightly and holding her close as he pressed his lips to her head. “It’s okay…”

Isabel too had switched places, taking advantage of Michael moving to sit next to Kyle who simply reached out, taking her hand in his and squeezing it. She looked up at him gratefully, resting her head against his shoulder as they all waited for Maria to continue.

Only Max was left without someone…but that was the way it was, the way it had to be, he knew, and he looked down, focusing his gaze on the gold band he still wore on his left hand and remembering what had been.

“Maria…what did you mean….when you said Liz was the reason you told Serina…?”

With the memories which had been let loose, and the thoughts which they had prompted, no one had noticed that Liz had finished putting Emily back to bed and returned to the group so her voice caused most to look up.

Kyle couldn’t help thinking that it sounded strange, someone who looked so like Liz asking about Liz. Someone who shared her name even…

Max on the other hand was still lost in his thoughts it seemed, and it was only as Liz moved to sit down in the remaining vacant spot, her hand brushing against his accidentally that he looked up.

“S-sorry…” The young brunette apologised awkwardly as she felt all eyes turn to her. She didn’t like being centre of attention, never had. Not that she hadn’t experienced plenty of it over the past couple of years, but still…

It was knowing that Max was looking that provoked the greatest feelings though. Biting down on her lip, she moved her hand away quickly, oblivious both to the look of disappointment which flashed across Max’s face, and also the small smile which played on Maria’s face.

Swallowing as he tried to get a hold of himself, Max shook his head, moving slightly to his side in order to give her a little more room as he looked back at Maria now, waiting to hear what she had to say.

“Maria…?”

“Oh right…sorry…” Shifting her gaze away from the young man and woman she had been watching with some amount of interest, Maria’s gaze now fell to a spot on the floor as she swallowed, using that small focus to help regain her balance.

“Go on…it’s okay…”

Liz had to smile as she noted now Michael’s rough, gruff persona had given way to someone far more understanding and gentle as he sat there with his arm around his girlfriend. He was certainly more than a warrior, not that she would have expected any less… Her own Michael had always had a soft side too she knew, it was just a case of getting him to show it…

As more memories flooded her mind too now, the brunette tried hard to push them to the side, having a feeling that she needed to hear this just as much any of the others. For whether she liked it or not, she didn’t see herself leaving them any time soon…

“L-Liz…” She paused, trying to work out how to put this. It was probably the only secret she had ever succeeded in keeping completely… Not one bit had she let slip but now it was time to tell all it seemed… “I-it was the night that Max hired that Mariachi band to sing with…”

Max, who had returned to his brooding looked up at the mention of this. That was supposed to have been the one thing that brought her back to him… He practiced for weeks, trying to learn the words and of course not burst into laughter in the middle of it… Finally he had it down though, and he went to her…

“She wasn’t alone when you went to sing for her that night…” Maria continued pausing nervously. “She had a visitor, and not of the normal kind…”

“Me from the future…”

Now it was Maria’s turn to look shocked as Max spoke. “S-she told you…?”

“Told him what?”

“What’s going on Max, what happened…?”

Holding up a hand as Kyle, Isabel and Michael began to bombard him with questions, Max shook his head. “She told me the bare minimum…just enough to explain why…” He trailed off awkwardly before looking over at Kyle. “I’m sorry man, I owe you an apology…and I should have told you sooner, but I guess it was just difficult to bring up you know…?”

“Okay, now I’m completely lost…”

Maria couldn’t help smiling at Isabel’s blank expression. She sighed. “Well, Max got the first bit right anyway… Liz had a visitor, from a future version of Max, one from fourteen years in the future…”

“Let me guess, the granolith...?”

Max looked over to the brunette who had spoken. For a moment he had almost forgotten she was there if he told the truth…

Liz blushed slightly. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt; just it seemed to fit…” She gave a weak smile. “What with it having brought me here an’ all you know…”

Nodding, Maria offered her a small smile as she continued. “Apparently the world was ending, and he came back to prevent that happening…”

“So this all had something to do with my little mock up with Liz…?” Kyle guessed.

“Right…” The young woman who was in charge of the tale nodded slightly. “He said that because he and Liz had been together, Tess had left, and to make a long story short the end of the world had resulted…”

“His solution was to make me fall out of love with Liz and try to put me together with Tess…” Max took over for a moment, supplying the little he knew already. “She didn’t want to, but she agreed to his plan and we all know how that ended up…”

“So let me get this right, the world is going to end because we don’t have Tess with us…?” Michael broke in now.

Looking up at her boyfriend, Maria opened her mouth to speak but it was Liz who responded, with a shake of her head. “No, you don’t know what will happen, not if the future has been changed…so many different futures can come from the same events just with little changes… And from what you’ve said, not that I know anything about your Tess or anything, your Liz succeeded in making some pretty big changes…”

After listening to the explanation given in silence, Isabel nodded and finally spoke. “Besides, who knows if we’ll still be here in eleven or twelve years now anyway…”

Although her tone was jovial, her words carried a serious message and caused the others to pause a moment to reflect. She was right of course. Who knew what would happen tomorrow, never mind in ten years time…

“Okay, so all this changed the future, but what I don’t get is how this relates to Serina - that was how this all started right…?” Kyle questioned, drawing the conversation back towards it’s original subject. Not that it wasn’t interesting to find out exactly why Liz had come to him and asked for that favour; but it was in the past after all, and right at that moment in time they had more important things to consider…

“Yeah, and it’s pretty simple really…” Maria shrugged. “Liz said that Max had mentioned a Serina, who he said would be a good friend of hers in the future…”

“And we’re going to risk everything on that bit of hearsay?” Although not wanting to cause further upset to his girlfriend, Michael just couldn’t continue to stay quiet. He looked around at them. “Look, are we really willing to risk our lives on the chance that this gal isn’t talking to the FBI right now…?”

“She’s not…”

Once more all eyes turned to the small brunette, and this time she held firm, her determination fighting against the self-consciousness she felt under the circumstances. “Serina is a good woman, but above all, she’s a good mother and her son means everything to her…” She motioned towards the bed where Thomas was sleeping. “She left him with us, and that means something…”

“Yeah, that she didn’t want to spook us…”

“No…” Isabel shook her head slightly. “I think that Liz is right…”

“Which one…?”

Max chose to ignore the last comment, listening to the girls as they made their argument and nodding. He looked over at Maria. “Was this the only reason you told her, because of her name…?”

The wavy-haired young woman’s blue eyes flashed at him indignantly. “Of course its not! Do you think I’m that much of an idiot?” She looked quite hurt at the suggestion, having hoped that they would know her better than that.

Max hadn’t of course, and he was sorry for any hurt caused, but he needed to be certain, he had to know exactly what they were dealing with, and sometimes the only way to find out was to question, even if it did upset some people.

“She’s been a good friend to Liz, and she came with us without knowing why…?” Isabel pointed out softly.

Liz nodded as she too now looked at Max, refusing to shy away from the deep amber eyes which threatened to draw her in so easily. “I trust her… I wouldn’t have told her yet, but I don’t think she’s going to betray us…”

“Us? So now you’re a part of the group?”

Michael’s insensitive remark drew reproving remarks and looks from all corners, especially since it caused the brunette to withdraw and stand up, saying maybe she should leave them to it.

“No Liz, it’s fine…” Max reached out without thinking to stop her. “You’re as much a part of this as any of us – assuming that you want to stay…” Realising that he was holding her again, he withdrew his hand awkwardly but insisted again that she should stay, motioning to the empty space adjacent to his own seat.

Nodding slowly, the young woman retook her seat tentatively, although she withheld from making any further comments on the matter being discussed.

“Look guys, whether we like it or not, she knows now and we can’t change that!” Isabel pointed out after listening to them going round and round in circles for a couple more minutes. “We told her because we thought it was the right thing to do, and I for one don’t feel that’s changed…”

Maria gave a small nod of agreement and Kyle looked over at Max. “So, the question remains of what to do next oh fearless leader…”

His comment caused the girls to smile, although it failed to draw the same from the other guys who remained serious as ever. After a few moments, Max opened his mouth, presumably to answer , but before he could say anything there came a knock at the door.

“Guys…can I get back in…?” A muffled voice penetrated the room.

Rising from the bed quickly without hesitation, Liz moved towards the door, intending to admit her friend as Maria looked around at the others. “Here’s a suggestion…” She commented lightly as the door was opened and the increasingly familiar figure of the older woman entered the room. “How about we all try talking to her…”

Making this last comment quietly so as not to let the woman in question hear, she now suited actions to words as she stood up, and went to greet Serina with a smile, questioning her in a friendly manner as to whether or not she had a good walk, and asking if there was anything she wanted to ask about.

Kyle couldn’t help but smile as he watched the two girls take charge, nodding silently in response to Maria’s suggestion and offering Isabel a smile as he held out a hand towards her. “Want to join the ‘party’?”
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Hey, I'm back :)

Sorry I haven't been able to post sooner, but work combined with computer troubles, and as Isabelle so kindly posted, I had pretty much zilch in the way of online time for close to two weeks. Sorry, but there's nothing I could do after my modem went down other than send my computer off for repair, and then hope for the best. Thankfully the wonderful computer people did fix my laptop, and I'm back online as you can see :). Sorry it's taken so long, but I hope this chapter won't disappoint.

Having said all that, thanks so much for all the feedback you guys have been leaving, it's so encouraging to come online and find it, and I appreciate every little bit of it. I love to know that you're enjoying reading the story, becuase I know I've enjoyed writing it.

begonia9508 - Well maybe Liz and Max can help one another in the long run... Liz didn't travel through the granolith for that reason though, she came into this reality for a very simple reason, to allow her and Emily to live. I don't think there's any deep reason for her being deposited where she was though, just a coincidence, which could be a good one, or a bad one, depending on what people think.
lazza - So so glad to know you're still reading and enjoying :). And what you said makes perfect sense. In some ways both Liz and Max have lived the other's dream... Max was married to Liz, and Liz had a child with Max...put togehter for one couple it would make the perfect life wouldn't it? Don't worry though, I certainly think that Serina will be reevaluating her view of Max. Don't be too harsh on her though, she judged on her own experience, and that hasn't been easy either...
Emz80m - Thanks hun. I'm surprised though, no 'I hate Serina'? hehe, could it be that you're softening towards her?
Alien614 - Sorry it's not sooner, thanks for reading though.
Dream Weaver - And I'm happy to update :). You'll have to use your imagination to fill in the time between last chapter and this, but I hope it won't disappoint too much.
Flamehair - Glad to be back...just wish I could stay so :(. As for Liz and Max, they need time, and then, who knows...
roswell3053 - Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.
Natalie36 - I think you're right, both Liz and Max are in very similar places, which is why Isabel thinks that they could help one another... They're both hurting, and they can understand the hurt of the other better than anyone else I'm sure.
behrluv32 - Thank you, so pleased you liked it.
isabelle - Yes, poor Kyle, but at least Max did apologise, and now they all know... As for Serina and questions, I might be going to disappoint you here, but I'm afraid you're going to have to use your imagination...
DreamerLaure - Really good points there. As you say, she's a differnt person from their Liz, she's got her own past and at the moment the rest of the group are still pretty much strangers to her, yet strangers with familiar faces, that's got to be hard. I'm glad you liked the Liz/Max though, it just seemed to flow :).
Ellie - Michael is just a little tense I think, give him the benefit of the doubt, he's not that bad...not all the time anyway :wink: hehe

Thanks for all the thoughts and patience everyone, hope you enjoy the new chapter. It might not be quite what you imagined, but I hope it won't disappoint you too much.

~Kat~

Chapter 49

“How are you doing…?” Turning her attention briefly away from her daughter who was sat on her lap, Liz looked over to where Serina was trying to get Thomas ready for the day.

It had been decided, after some discussion,it would be best to allow the two young mothers some time to get the children ready, while the rest of the group headed out to find something to eat for breakfast. The idea was that either they would bring back some take-away, or if they couldn’t find anything, one of the others would return to the motel so that they could go and join the others wherever they were eating…

It hadn’t been said as being such, but Liz also understood that it was a way of giving her and Serina some time on their own, to talk, if they wanted or needed…

Serina was silent for a moment, focusing her attention on her son as she sent Thomas over to put on his shoes, before turning back to her friend with a somewhat weak-looking smile. “With what…? Aliens are real, alternate realities are real, or maybe just the whole having ended up staying with a group who’s basically running for their lives from the FBI…?” She reeled off the list in as offhand a manner as she could manage and questioned, trying to keep her tone jovial but failing miserably as her voice wavered uncertainly as she reached the end.

Liz bit down on her lip and swallowed, trying to rid herself of that tight feeling in her chest as she thought about everything that had happened. Her friend was right about all of it of course, and she couldn't help but think that she had brought her into it in the first place… It was her fault that Serina was mixed up in this, her fault that Thomas and his mother were being put in danger! “I’m sorry Rena… I didn’t mean to get you mixed up in all of this…” She apologised softly, having to pause for a moment as she finished as Emily suddenly decided she had been sat long enough and started pushing forward on her lap. “Oh no you don’t little missy!” She stated firmly, catching her daughter before she could get anywhere near the edge and pulling her more firmly back onto her knee as she resumed combing the little girl's long dark brown hair hair.

Watching the young mother caused a strange feeling in Serina… Throughout the night she had been trying to work out exactly who Liz and the others were… She had been looking on everything and everyone, including her friend, as having changed, but now she realised she hadn’t… Liz hadn’t been playing a part for her benefit when she came into Zack’s diner looking for work, and she hadn’t been playing a part and pretending on those evenings when she had taken the little girl to her breast, speaking softly as she tried to calm the child. The look on her face on Christmas Day hadn’t been planned and nor was this now… The truth was that Liz was a mother – first and foremost… She was also seventeen, far, far from home, without the support and presence of any of the family and friends that she had in the past, and if it were possible, in all honesty she was perhaps probably struggling with this all even more than Serina was herself…

Shaking her head as she read the guilt in Liz's eyes, she swallowed and sent a reassuring smile in the direction of her friend. “No, I insisted on coming with you…I got myself, and Thomas, into this…” She responded firmly, accepting the blame which she knew she deserved and refusing to let the other girl take it on herself… In truth, the younger girl had tried to warn her, over and over… She hadn’t given details, because she couldn’t, but she had pleaded with her time and time again to leave them, and she, in her stubborn way, had refused…

Her reassurances however, had little effect on the brunette, who couldn't help but think that she should have stayed with the others from the start, which would have saved anyone else from getting involved. Serina was a great friend, and she was more than grateful to her for everything that she had done, but she shouldn't be in this situation. She had run away from the group, selfishly,, knowing the FBI were out there, and because of that an innocent young woman, not to mention her son, had been put in a dangerous situation. “You shouldn't have been brought into any of this though..." She pointed out.

Serina raised an eyebrow with an expression of mock indignation. "Thanks, nice to know when I'm not wanted..."

Liz dropped the brush she had been about to pull through Emily's hair back onto her lap with a soft thud as she turned to look back at her friend. "I didn't mean it like that Rena...you know that don't you?" She protested quickly. "…there's a part of me that is delighted to have you around...really..." The brunette paused briefly before continuing, "...but it's just that there's a bigger part that is so scared that something bad will happen to you or Thomas, and I'd never forgive myself if it did because it would be because of me..."

The older of the two women nodded as she listened, but shook her head when she was done, refusing to let it lie like this. "Honey, you did everything you could to keep me out of this, y-"

"I should have just stayed with them originally...I should have known better..." Liz interrupted without letting her finish though, her voice tight and strained... She shook her head as she looked down, picking up the brush once more tofinishing what she was doing, before setting her daughter down on the floor when she was done, where upon the little girl toddled off and settled herself on the ground a little way across the room, crossing her legs and giggling softly as she tugged at the carpet and then reached for her doll which lay nearbye. Her mother watched for a moment, before then turning back to Serina, her voice taking a more desperate, and slightly rant-like edge to it now. "I should have realised I was being selfish and stupid and not been so pig-headed as to think I could do better without them..."

A look of something which could almost have been amusement passed over Serina's eyes briefly, causing some puzzlement on the part of her friend as she stopped speaking momentarily and looked at her blankly. "What?"

"Have you listened to what you're saying...?" The lighter-haired of the two questioned in disbelief. "You don't really believe that do you? Because from what I've seen there's not a selfish bone in your body..."

"But I-"

Serina held up a hand to stop the brunette, shaking her head as she prevented her from speaking further. "Did you leave them because you didn't care...?" She pressed; her tone serious now as she eyed her friend.

"N-no... It was just too hard though...." Liz's gaze dropped to her lap as she fiddled with her fingers awkwardly and then looked over towards her daughter, watching the little girl as she played, completely unaware of the drama surrounding her at the moment it seemed. She missed her father certainly, and she knew something was wrong she was sure, but she didn't understand, not properly and right at the moment seemed perfectly content...

"For who? - you?" Much as she hated the fact this was obviously upsetting the younger woman, Serina continued to push because she knew it was important.

Blinking, Liz was clearly getting flustered as she rose from the bed, shaking her head again. "For everyone.. For Max and the others to see me, for me to do the same, and f-"

"For Emily...?" She suggested softly, offering a small smile as she watched Liz walk over and bend down next to the little girl in question who was playing.

Picking up the teddy that lay nearby, the young mother said nothing for a moment as she 'walked' the stuffed toy over to the doll Emily was playing with, bringing him into the game much to the delight of her little girl who giggled and clapped before instructing the bear to 'dance'. Jigging it around appropriately, Liz finally turned to look back at her friend and nodded, motioning back to Emily with her free hand. "Yeah, of course...” She responded softly. “I mean look at her now, she doesn't understand all this... Here I am, trying to explain he's not her daddy but I know she doesn't understand...... She wants him so much, and I can't give her what she wants because he's gone... And yet here there's another guy who looks exactly like him.... It’s not fair to expect anything of Max, it's not fair on him, or her, or the others" Biting down on her lip, she ran a hand through her hair and buried her face in her hands as she finished, still with the teddy balled in one of them.

“Mommy...?” Emily looked up and shuffled over, closing the small distance between them as she pressed her small body against her mother. She didn't want her mommy to be upset...

The sweet, innocent, child-like act caused a sob to catch in Liz's throat, as she opened her arms to the little girl and pulled her close, pressing her lips against her daughter's forhead softly. “It's okay Emmy, I'm okay, I'm sorry Emmy...” She murmured softly..

"So basically, you were thinking of Emily, Max and the others, all before you were actually considering how you yourself felt..." Serina interpreted from her words and watched the two for a moment before before corssing the room tokneel down next to her friend. She hesitated and then reached out, causing her to turn and look around again, meeting her gaze. "Liz, you're not selfish... You're about the most unselfish person I've ever met in fact probably, and I'm happy to say that I'm your friend okay...?"

"Bu-"

She shook her head, a stubborn glint in her eyes. "No, no buts! This isn't ideal, but then life isn't always ideal is it? You and I know that as well as anyone don't we? Would I have had to drop out of uni had things been ideal? Would you have had a kid at the age of fifteen if life was perfect...?" She shook her head. "Honey, I'm not saying that either of us would have changed the fact that we had the kids, and I'm not saying that this isn’t still going to take some time for me to get my head around, but I don't blame you - this isn't your fault!

Liz swallowed, her lower lip trembling as she wrapped her daugher more fully in her arms and looked backat her friend. "Thank you Rena...for everything..."

Serina smiled softly and shook her head once more, a hand reaching out to stroke the soft, silky head of the small child between them. “You don't have to thank me for anything chica, that’s what friends are for…”

"I still don't like it!" Michael complained as the group headed down the road away from the motel. He just didn't see why everyone was so wiling to just accept Serina so quickly... They had spent the majority of the night before, much to his disgust, talking to her and answering any questions she might have and choose to ask. It seemed that just because she had been told the basics, now everyone seemed to think that she was entitled to know everything…something which he personally disagreed about…

Surely it would have been better to keep her knowledge to a minimum, just give her enough to make her scared in order to ensure she didn't say anything, and then leave her somewhere when they next moved… That would have been his plan anyway! Liz and Emily joining the group was one thing – one could almost argue that they were already part of the group even if they hadn't been originally, but Serina was a whole different matter!

She was completely human, and had no reason for being here except her friendship with Liz… She also brought with her another child – who would bring with him other issues considering that unlike Emily, Thomas was preschool age and should very soon be attending normal school…

Everyone seemed to think that he was saying these things out of spite or something it seemed, but that wasn’t the case. He was being sensible and serious! She didn’t need to be with them, and her presence simply made the group more noticeable…

Unfortunately, no one seemed wiling to listen to his objections, and they continued to ignore his thoughts on the matter much to his annoyance.

"Michael get over it!" Max scowled as he stopped at the kerb, waiting for the others to catch up before he crossed, and turned to look at his friend. "Serina is now a part of this whether we like it or not, so you might as well get used to it!" He wasn't going to say that he was delighted at the new addition to the group, not least because he was worried about putting the young woman in question, not to mention her son, in danger, but, the plain fact was that she would be in even more danger now if she left them, so as far as he was concerned, the decision had really already been made. He certainly wasn't going to dump her as he knew Michael would like. It would be the equivalent of handing her straight over to the FBI for questioning, and after his experiences in the white room, there was no way he would ever even think of doing that... No one should have to go through that, he wouldn't wish it on his worst enemy...

"I don't see why she has to be though... That's my whole point Maxwell! What connection does she really have to us?" Michael protested, refusing to let the subject drop as he continued to try and turn them to his view.

"How about the fact that she left the state with us..." Isabel pointed out seriously as she, Maria and Kyle now arrived at the kerb. Sighing, she shook her head at the guy she had always thought of as another brother. "Can you honestly think that the FBI wouldn't find out about that? Liz said herself that they had obviously somehow tracked down where she was staying, and as far as they were concerned she was supposed to be dead! Someone who shared an apartment with her and, not only that, but left with her is definitely going to be of interest to them; and can you honestly say that you would hand someone over to them like that?"

"Who said anything about handing her over... I just don't think that she should stay with us!" He shook his head again.

"And as soon as we leave her, the FBI will swoop in when they arrive in the area! It’s as good as giving her over!" Maria responded sharply, making it clear where she stood. "Besides, Liz said-"

"That she would be a good friend?” Michael interrupted, scowling now. “Liz also thought that she would be alive in fifteen years, does anyone see the gaping error there?"

Michael's words came across as surprisingly cold, harsh and unfeeling, causing a stunned silence to reign for a few minutes before Kyle, noting the fact that there were more people walking around at the moment, pointed out that perhaps this wasn't the place for such a discussion.

Max nodded silently in response to this but a raging fury burned in his eyes as he turned to Michael. "Kyle's right, this isn't the time or the place!" He stated shortly in a firm tone, effectively closing the discussion for the moment at least.

Michael did open his mouth to respond, but one look from Maria made him rethink his intention and instead he simply nodded in silent acceptance of this as the group prepared to cross the road.

"So...my turn now..." Serina announced she approached the bed and sat down next to her friend. "How are you dealing with all this...?" She questioned softly, noting the way Liz had fallen silent, looking at one of the pictures, stood on the bedside table which the others had brought with them.

It was a group shot, presumably taken after they had left Roswell since ‘Liz’ had her hair cut short. Other than the hairstyles though, and the absence of her daughter, there was nothing really to separate it from any of the many pictures Liz knew had covered her walls back home though and looking at it brought back a lot of memories. Friends, family…people she had loved and lost…

“Liz…?” The older of the two girls reached out now, touching her arm which caused the brunette to turn, suddenly aware of her presence.

“What, oh, sorry Rena…what did you say?” The young brunette shook her head, clearly having heard nothing of what had been said. "I was just...thinking..." She bit down on her lip as she remembered so many times when the same thing had happened with Maria, and her lack of attention was usually because she was watching Max... Her friend had teased her mercilessly, along with the rest of the group… But that wasn't the case this time though and it never would be again...

Shaking her head and waving away the apology, Serina watched her friend for another few moments, before repeating her earlier question patiently.

"W-what do you mean...?" Liz questioned awkwardly, trying to pretend she didn't know. It wasn't that she didn't appreciate the concern, but this whole thing was just...too complicated and she just wasn't sure she was ready to try and talk about it...not now, it was just too-

The older of the two girls raised an eyebrow, clearly not convinced. "I think you know exactly what I mean..." She responded softly. "You've been asking me how I'm dealing with the situation, now I'm doing the same... How are you feeling...? I know it can't be easy for you either..." She stated plainly, trying a new approach as she watched her friend for any sign of reaction.

Easy...? Liz shrugged and bit down on her lip. When was the last time she could honestly have used that word to describe her life...? She had been pregnant at fourteen, had a baby at fifteen...then had school and work to fit in around being a mother, and then add to that the fact that her boyfriend was an alien to top it all off... Even before she had been brought to this reality she couldn't have said things were simple, and now...well… "What's that...? - easy I mean...?" She tried to joke although the attempt fell flat, her voice coming out hoarse and hollow, as though trying to hold back tears.. Swallowing, she shook her head. “I can't remember the last time things were easy..." She admitted softly.

In that moment, she sounded so young and delicate and helpless, and Serina felt an overwhelming need to mother her just as she had done when they first met. She just wished that she knew how to make things better... "I know honey... Or at least I understand some of it...” She paused and took a moment to try and work out how to phrase the next, shaking her head as she spoke again. “I know there will be other things which I couldn't hope to comprehend, but if you ever want to talk about it...I’m here you know, and I'm always willing to lend a willing ear…" She trailed off, leaving the end of her offer hanging in the air as she looked back at her friend.

"I don't know how to..." The younger of the two shook her head desperately. "I just don't know what to say or do... I keep seeing Max here, and then thinking about my Max, and my heart wants to believe that it's him but I know it's not, and then I feel guilty for feeling like that..." She tried to explain, still trying to muddle through her feelings and fears, her voice taking on a tone of increased desperation as she continued. "And then there's the fact that for the last two years I've been trying to be so much older than I am, and when he was there for me, and my parents were around, I could do it, but now I just feel..."

"Like a seventeen year old?" Serina nodded softly pausing another moment before continuing. "That's because you are Liz... Just because you're a mom doesn't mean you can't be seventeen too, they're not mutually exclusive you know..." She pointed out with a reassuring smile, inching closer and sliding an arm around her shoulder. It's okay to be scared or worried chica, it's okay to feel overwhelmed sometimes, to not know what to do,, and there’s nothing wrong with the way you're feeling about Max..." She looked back at her friend. "I'm sure it's normal, considering the circumstances. This is really complicated, and it's going to take time to work out you know..."

Liz nodded and sighed, allowing herself for just a moment to bury her face in the shoulder of her friend although she soon pulled back. "I know, and I know it won't instantly all work out, but I just miss him so much, I miss all of them, and I know that everyone's here, but it's not the same...you know…?"

Serina nodded as she pulled her close once more. “I know Liz…I know…
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

*waves* Hey everyone!

I know it sounds like a broken record, but sorry for the wait guys, I hope the new chapter will go some way to making up for it.

Thanks for all the feedback you guys have left, it means so much to see!

roswell3053 - you're right, it's not good to bottle things up.
Natalie36 - thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. And I'm back...
Begonia - thanks for reading
Emz80m - Well Michael is Michael you know... I think I know one person who might be able to stop him from complaining though....hehe. Glad you enjoyed the part anyway and hope you continue to enjoy the story.
Flamehair - you make me blush :oops: Seriously though, I'm so glad you're still enjoying the story. I know this story has been going a long time and thanks for sticking with it.
lazza - I'm sorry if it seemed like everyone had glossed over Liz, that wasn't my intention. I'm glad you enjoyed the new chapter though, and maybe this will go a little further towards putting the balance right?
83 AlienAngel - I'm still writing, don't worry, just it's taking rather longer than I would like at the moment, sorry about the wait.
ultimatepickupline - yay, you're still reading, I'm so glad! You're right, it's a very sad story, it was my first venture into angst though, guess I went to the extreme. I'm glad you're still reading and enjoying it though, and I promise, a happy ending is coming eventually.
Adrienne - Bad e-mail alerts! lol I'm glad you liked the update though :) and you like Serina - YAY!
sam111 - wow good or bad? I'm hoping good... Thanks for reading
Alien614 - Not so much soon, but I'm posting, sorry for the wait...

Okay guys, so I probably shouldn't be doing this, but I'm putting a timetable up as to when I hope to FINISH this story. That would be by the end of this year. I know it seems highly unlikely considering how bad I've been with updating lately, but I'm going to make a special effort to improve that, not that I haven't been before, and I really hope that I'm going to make it. I have a visitor coming over at the end of next week, so it's probaly going to be a couple of weeks until you get another update, but I hope no longer. I mean to try and get this one finished sooner rather than later, and I just hope my muse, and real life will cooperate with that intention.

All that said, sorry for not updating sooner, here's the new chapter and I hope you'll enjoy it.

~Kat~

Chapter 50

“Okay come on, get it together!” Michael stuck his head into the room where the girls were staying only to retreat quickly into the corridor as something was thrown at him. He waited a moment, picked up the sock from the floor where it had fallen and and then held his hands up in surrender as he reentered the room. “Hey, don’t take it out on me, for once it was Max who decided we needed to keep moving you know…” He pointed out, addressing his words mainly towards his girlfriend who, he suspected, was likely to have been the source of the projectile a few moments before.

In fact, on this occasion he was wrong, as the look on Serina’s face seemed to indicate as she stepped forward apologetically, accompanied rather, unwillingly it seemed, by her son. “I’m sorry Michael, he was messing around – say sorry to Michael, Thomas!”

She looked down at the little boy, but he made no attempt to apologise, causing Michael to scowl and Serina to sigh. Just what she needed, giving Michael yet another reason not to want her around…

“Oh I’m sure he’ll survive….” Isabel commented, looking over at her friend as she looked up from her bag. Long gone were the days when she had needed cases and cases of clothes and other items for just a week’s holiday – the small carryall in front of her held practically everything she owned now…

In fact, each of the girls had similar – Serina having packed lightly too for purposes of speed, and Liz’s belongings still being minimal even after having been in this reality for well over a month now. They had the things they needed though, and that was enough… There wasn’t exactly a lot of space in the van anyway, especially not now with four extra people if the kids were included…

They would of course have to get something else, either in addition, or to replace the van, eventually, but for the moment Max had voiced an opinion that it was more important to put some distance between them and New Jersey, and none of the group had challenged this decision.

“Are you hurt…aww, poor baby, what a horrible thing to happen…” Maria joined in the teasing easily now, grasping eagerly at anything which meant she felt a little less like they were running… She smiled and stepped forward. “How about I kiss it better…”

Well that wasn’t something that Michael was going to turn down, as she slipped her arms around his neck and he pulled her closer, dipping his head to catch her lips in his gently, all signs of tension vanishing from him if only for a second. As he pulled back a moment later however, his gruff, impatient persona was back as he looked around the room at the other. “Just finish up quickly will you…I’ll be waiting in the van…” With these words, he exited the room quickly, leaving the girls to finish up which they proceded to do.

“I want to sit in the front!” A few minutes later found Thomas pointing to the front seat of the van and looking up at his mother who was shaking her head.

“NO!” Serina looked back at him. “And you don’t need to give me the eyes – I’m not going to change my mind you know…” She reached out to grab his hand, moving towards the door into the back even as she did so.

Meanwhile, Max was stood with Maria, a few yards from the vehicle. “I really don’t think that’s a good idea Maria… I don’t want it to be awkward, and I’m fine in the front…” He insisted, speaking softly so as not to be overheard.

“No, sitting in the front you never get any sleep and you’re obviously tired girlfriend!” The curley haired young woman shook her head again. “Besides, it might not have occurred to you, but I’d actually quite like to sit with my boyfriend for once you know…” She pointed out in an unusually calm and rational fashion.

The young man who was quite obviously the leader of the group didn’t seem convinced though. It wasn’t that he was trying to avoid her but…well, actually yeah to tell the truth he was… Sighing, he shook his head mentally and bit down on his lip. He wanted to get to know this Liz, of course he did, but he knew it was difficult for her as well, and he didn’t want to push her… It was just easier to keep a distance at the moment… “I know Maria, and I’m sorry, I just think maybe it’s better this way at least for the moment…”

Maria rolled her eyes. “It’s not as though I’m asking you to sit next to her you know Max, come on, be real!” She shook her head. “I just think that you need to get some proper rest, and sitting in the front isn’t the way to do that…” Of course if he got talking to the brunette in question, that wouldn’t be a bad thing either, she thought, but chose to keep that bit to herself.

It was true… Max had to admit… He hadn’t been sleeping very well, not that it was anything new, and even he needed some rest… If he was up in the front with Michael, it was almost guaranteed he would get none, while sitting in the back…well…it was at least a possibility…

Sitting in the back also meant being in close proximity to a certain brunette and her daughter though…something he wasn’t at all sure about…

“Max come on, you know I’m right!” Maria looked at him again, sensing his determination begin to waver it seemed.

Unable to deny this, he felt the rest of his reservations begin to crumble as he nodded slowly in concession. “Alright, I’ll sit in the back Maria…”

A smile of delight flashed over her face, although it was gone so quickly that Max didn’t notice it, simply assuming it was a look of triumph that she had been able to change his mind. “And on that note, we should be getting going…” He announced, motioning towards the van where it seemed everyone else had already climbed inside…

“I know you’re a big girl, but there isn’t space for you to have your own seat!” Liz responded to Emily sternly, pulling her further onto her lap as she fastened the seatbelt across them both. It wasn’t ideal of course, and hardly the safest, but needs must, and right now she had nor the space, nor money for that matter, to have the little girl in a travel seat…

“Mommy let go!” Emily pouted and tried to pull away, attempting to pull at the lap strap although it was of course too strong and resulted only in a red face of excursion…

Smiling softly, Liz watched her daughter struggle with some amusement, before the little girl inevitably gave up and snuggled closer in her lap.

Her focus trained on the little girl, she was unaware for the moment that Max was watching, having reached the threshold of the van and then stopped, upon realising that since he was the last one to enter the back of the van, despite Maria’s words, the only free seat left was indeed that next to Liz.

He had paused, trying to decide what to do, but couldn’t help watching the brunette as she dealt with her little girl. She was…beautiful… He bit down on his lip at the thought, although he didn’t take it back… She might not have been his Liz, and he knew that she wasn’t his wife, but whatever reality she was from, Liz Parker was an angel…

“Max, are you okay…?” Liz looked at him in concern, having turned to find him just standing there without moving…

Blinking in surprise, the young man in question nodded slowly. “What, oh, yeah, sorry…” He rubbed his eyes for effect and shook his head. “I guess I’m just tired…” It was true, but just not perhaps the whole truth…

“Yeah…” She nodded and offered him a small, hesitant smile, never really sure whether she should or not at the moment. But they were supposed to be friends weren’t they…? “D-do you want to sit down…?” Liz offered awkwardly, motioning to the spot beside her as she realised it was the only spot left.

“I-uh…” He looked uncertain.

“Or I could ask to swap with Isabel or something…” Liz offered quickly, taking from his hesitance that he didn’t want to sit next to her. She swallowed and bit down on her lip, the thought ‘hurting’ to an extent, although she knew it was understandable for him to feel that way…

“What, oh, no, I mean not unless you want to…” Max struggled, painfully aware of that look in her eyes, and yet unsure exactly what it meant. He knew she was hurting, and he didn’t want to make it any worse, he just…

Watching his eyes, Liz found for the first time a cloaked look which she couldn’t quite decipher… It shocked her…shook her…she didn’t know what to make of it. Biting down again on her lip, she shook her head awkwardly, her gaze lowered so that she wasn’t looking at him fully it seemed. “N-no…I’m okay here…”

Max nodded again. “Okay…” He sat down in silence, fastening his belt and looking forward towards the front of the van as Michael called back to ask where they were heading this time.

Beside him, Liz shifted, resulting in her arm accidentally catching his, which caused both to freeze awkwardly, before exchanging an apology and then falling back into silence. It was just…difficult…

“Don’t you just hate this weather! It’s so cold…” Isabel gave an exaggerated shiver as she looked back at her brother and friend, attempting to break the tense silence which had fallen over them. “My vote goes for heading somewhere warmer!”

The brunette’s eyes flickered, as she turned to look at the redhead managing a weak smile. “Y-yeah…sounds good…” She commented vaguely, although whether she had actually heard what was said was another matter…

Isabel frowned as she looked between the two again, reading the matching pensive looks on each of their faces. She sighed and shook her head. “Yeah, and I think I’m going to wash your hair in custard at the next stop…”

“Uhuh…” Liz trailed off and blinked, looking over at her friend. “What?”

The older of the two girls laughed softly, shaking her head. “It’s not important…”

Nodding blankly, Liz simply seemed to accept this and, as she felt a tug on her shirt, looked down again to the little girl on her lap who began chattering away.

Unbeknown to Max, Maria was watching everything through the mirror in the front. She hadn’t missed how, however much he might try to hide it, Max’s gaze constantly followed Liz. That little quirk of a smile as Isabel had been teasing, or the way he was now watching as she played with Emily… Or how Liz had looked yesterday with him… The two of them were made for each other she knew, it was just a case of making them see that…

“Maria I know you think you’re helping, but really, you’re not!” Liz told her Maria firmly as she stood talking to her friend. The brunette had surprised the older girl immensely as, when they stopped to get gas and grab something to eat, she had asked to speak to her alone, and then, once away from the others, had wasted no time in telling her to stop pushing her and Max together.

Apparently, although Maria had not realised it, Liz had known full well that Maria had been the one to get Max to come into the back and, since she had been right behind the others, and even reached the door of the van before backing off, Liz knew that Maria was well aware of which seat had been left.

She hadn’t missed the gentle pushes which had been given, and while, until now, she had let them slide, now it was time to do something about it…

“But Chica, you can’t keep avoi--“

“NO!” Liz shook her head again. “Don’t you get it Maria, it’s not fair, on either of us…” She bit down on her lip and swallowed. It wasn't that she was deliberately avoiding Max, not really...just that it was easier for both of them like this. They said hello, exchanged pleasantries, but not much more...

It was too tempting to imagine he was her Max when she was around him, would have been too easy to just fool herself and fall back into that comfortable connection.

He felt it too she knew... There had been times, when she had caught him looking at her, and there was something which told her he wasn't looking at her in his mind, he was looking at 'her'...

She'd have had her hair cut, in order to change her appearance, but she knew from photos she had seen that their Liz had cut her hair short not long after they left Roswell. Either way, long or short, Max would have memories of her, and so she had kept it the same, remembering how her late boyfriend had always said he loved it long...

“But Liz I-“

“I know you’re only trying to help Maria, I know you mean well…” Liz cut her off before she had chance to finish. “It’s just that right now, it’s not helping…” She shook her head again and sighed, reaching up to run a hand through her hair. “I need you to understand, I’m not your Liz Maria, and I’m not his wife!” Tears welled up in her eyes as she turned away and then ran away from the other girl.

Maria reached out to try and stop her, but she was too late, and it seemed all she could do now was watch in despair, the retreating figure of the small brunette as she fled into the centre…

“Liz…?” Isabel called out softly as she walked into the ladies room and looked around. Standing silently, she then listened for a moment, before turning again as she heard a sob coming from one of the cubicles. “Liz…?” She called out again as she moved towards the sound. “Liz is that you…?”

Another sob sounded from behind the door, but as she touched it, it swung open easily to reveal the figure of the small brunette, curled up on the floor.

“Oh Liz…” The red haired woman knelt down quickly, drawing the petite girl into her arms. “It’s okay…it’s okay…” She smoothed her hand over her hair and offered her a small smile as she looked up.

Liz swallowed. “I-I’m sorry…”

“What for…?”

She bit down on her lip. “For being here, for being a burden, for being here when ‘she’ isn’t…”

Isabel looked back at her and shook her head. Although Liz had not elaborated much in words, it was plain enough what she meant… “You don’t have anything to be sorry for Liz, it’s okay…”

“I can’t be her, I know I look like her, but I can’t be…” Her lip trembled as she spoke. “I’m not the person you all lost Isabel, I know I look like her, but I’m not her…” She shook her head and buried her face in her hands desperately.

The sight of the helpless-looking girl in front of her, for Isabel, was almost too much… She understood where Liz was coming form, it was the exact reason why she had told Maria to back off. Certainly, she too had felt that Liz and Max should get to know one another, but in their own time, slowly, and certainly she wasn’t going to push them together… Each was their own person, that was something which needed to be respected. Right now though, she was worried that, after losing one friend, she was about to lose another… “It’s okay Liz…” She reached out, pulling her closer. “It’s okay, I know you’re not her, and I’m not asking you to be her…and Max isn’t either you know…”

Her words called the brunette to look up in surprise. She swallowed and nodded, biting down on her lips. “I know, but I also know how easy it is to…” She trailed off into silence without finishing.

“Pretend…?” Isabel guessed in a soft voice. She waited for confirmation and then nodded again. “I know honey, but he’s doing his best not to, just like you…we all are…” She reached over to wipe the tears from Liz’s cheeks with her thumb. “And you know, the best way to show you’re not her, is to let him get to know you…” She paused a moment, wanting to check that her friend wasn’t going to burst into tears or get upset, before continuing. “I’m not thrusting you together Liz, but I do think you understand what one another are going through better than anyone here, and you could be good friends…”

Seeming to think for a moment, Liz then gave a slight nod, even managing a tiny smile as she leant forward to hug her friend now. “Thank you Isabel…thank you so much…”
Last edited by KatnotKath on Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback on this, sorry it's taken so long for me to get an update sorted.

begonia9508 - Are they feeling attraction for one another, or the people they remember though...? Thanks for reading
Natalie36 - I seem to be doing a lot of those at the moment, sorry, not sure this one is much happier in tone either...hope you enjoy it though.
Alien614 - Thanks, glad to know you liked it, here's more.
Emz80m - I'm glad you thought that Isabel handled that well, and yes, unfortunately Maria is...persistant to say the least...she means well of course, but as you say, Liz is different to their Liz, and Max is different to her Max, it's just not as simple as who likes who...
ultimatepickupline - I stand by my promise, a happy end will come, but it's been a long, rocky road I'm afraid...
Dream Weaver - Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it
roswell3053 - you really think that Maria is going to back down that easily...? You're right though, while Maria continues to push, Liz for one is far less likely to try and 'get to know you' route with Max...
Flamehair - Well as I explain below, the estimate might be slightly out, but it's not going to be that long anyway, and got to admit, I'm going to miss it too. It's been a long road and a big learning curve, but thanks for sticking with me through it. What you say is very important to keep in mind though -Maria means well, no one's suggested otherwise...
Isabelle - well Michael doesn't like Serina, and I think that Thomas has picked up on that. As for Emily, I guess that Liz has spoken to her yes, and the time apart might have helped too of course, but it's going to be hard no matter what of course. I'm sure she still sees him as daddy in some ways, but he's not reacting to her in the way that her daddy did, and maybe having Serina and Thomas around is helping to an extent though, faces which have become familiar without all the complications or the confusion she might be feeling when it comes to Max... As for talking, I think it might be more likely to happen if they're allowed to get on with it themselves...of course whether that is likely to happen could be uncertain to say the least... They'll work it out eventually though I'm sure. Thanks for reading, so pleased to know you're still enjoying it...
paper - yeah, I went from never having done angst to having a whole fic based on it but it's kinda hard to avoid I guess... The question with Max and Liz would be are they attracted to one another, or the memories they have of their past loves...it could be difficult to distinguish. As for Serina, yes the idea is that she went to Uni at Las Cruses but I'm not telling anymore except to say Thomas' father was just a guy she was at school with, sorry if you're hoping otherwise, but he has no bearing on the group at all, and Thomas is completely human! Glad you like the story though, thanks for reading.
mirae01 - welcome to the story, thanks for reading, here's more :wink:

I have a bit of an admission to make, I estimated this would be done by christmas, I'm beginning to think it might be slightly after because I had forgotten about Nano which starts in less than two weeks and which I'm attempting again. I'll do my best to update of course, but no promises - my writing time is limited as it is and if I'm working on a nano fic that will leave even less time to even think about this... I will be back though, promise!

Here's the next part, thanks for all your patience and hope you all enjoy.

Kat

Chapter 51

“Hey Max, could I get another wine and two vodka tonics please…” Serina requested as she walked up to the bar with an empty tray. The two of them had been working in the club for a couple of days now, and while it hadn’t been planned that way, it didn’t seem to be going badly…

In her obvious manner, after the suggestion of splitting into groups to look for work, Maria had of course tried to suggest Liz and Max being together, but after the two blanched and refused to comment, Isabel had quickly set to trying to repair the damage as she volunteered to go with her bother.

As it had happened though, when they found somewhere, the owner had been perfectly willing to believe that Max was old enough, but even after seeing an id-card, had refused to employ Isabel… Supposedly the siblings were of course twins, so the same age Serina knew, which made that kind of silly, but Daniel, the boss, had refused to move, and so Max had called Serina, knowing she was the only one of the group to truly be above age…

Apparently she must have looked it too – something that the older girl wasn’t sure she was delighted about – and after explaining her experience, omitting exact locations, she had been told to turn up that night. The job was temporary of course, over the holiday period when they needed additional hands, but then that was all she needed…

Max looked up from cleaning some glasses as he heard her voice, nodding as he moved to fill the order quickly. “Sure, just a moment…” He nodded to her as he prepared her drinks. “Busy night on the tables?”

The brunette nodded with a groan. “Soooo busy…” She sighed and shook her head, resting the tray on the counter for a moment as she lifted a hand to cover her face and try to disguise a yawn. With no school for Thomas at the moment, she had been woken up at seven that morning by her son which meant she had less than six hours sleep and she had little doubt tomorrow would be no different. The young woman shrugged and looked back at him. “Of course busy means more tips, and more money so…”

Max was well used to thinking in such a manner and chuckled, offering a wry smile. “Busy is good right?”

Serina nodded with a sigh. The practicality was as simple as had been said, but the reality… Boy was she tired… She waited while he fixed her drinks, looking around and checking the time to see how much longer they had. Another half hour until last orders...

"Alright, I think you're good to go!" Max announced as he placed the last of the drinks on her tray.

"Thanks..." The older woman nodded gratefully, responding with a practiced, beaming smile of the type she usually saved for customers. It came across as a little fake, something that she didn't like to be thought of as, but then it was just easier...

After delivering the drinks however, and finding that all her other tables seemed content, she drifted back to the bar a few minutes later and stood, just watching Max for a moment.

Seeming to sense he was no longer alone, the dark haired male turned to look at her. He offered a small smile and moved over to join her. "Penny for them..." He suggested softly. He knew she perhaps wouldn’t feel comfortable talking to him, they were still virtual strangers, but from everything he had seen she was a wonderful woman, and they were working together, so he was just trying to be a friend…

Blinking, the brunette looked at him awkwardly. "What, oh, nothing much really..." She grimaced slightly and flushed. "I mean, I was just thinking..." Struggling to phrase what she wanted to say now, she shook her head as she trailed off again, taking a moment to collect her thoughts before speaking once more, deciding it was about time. "I think I owe you an apology..."

The young man in front of her blinked. That was the last thing he had expected her to say… "What do you mean...?"

She swallowed and looked away slightly, not wanting to meet his gaze. She wasn’t proud of the way she had acted, it had been unfair… "I mean, I think I was a little rash in my judgements of you, and maybe I let my personal experiences colour my thoughts without getting to know you..."

Max nodded, allowing her time to compose her words as she paused again,

"I mean, not that Liz ever suggested that there was anything, but-" She broke off.

"It's okay Serina, it doesn't matter..." He waved away her words, offering a genuine smile to try and show her he didn’t hold any grudges. Afterall, it was easy to see how she had thought what she did, and while he had no doubt that Liz hadn’t supported such ideas, he imagined it had been hard for her to even begin to expain and give another without it simply sounding like an excuse. He wasn’t going to hold it against her for having thought what most normal people would. It wasn’t as though arranging to travel through time and space was something you could arrange at the travel agents…

She bit down on her lip and shook her head, colour rising in her cheeks as she tried again. "But it does though, it does!" Serina protested as she continued to berate herself. "Liz never made 'you' sound like anything but a great guy, and ever time I tried to say something bad, she would defend you... I couldn't accept that though, I just..."

"You thought that she sounded like hundreds of others, and that the situation she was in was wrong..." Max interjected as she paused for a breath. Now it was his turn to stop and search for the right words. "Serina, I'm not 'him', but it doesn't mean I don’t want Liz to be happy, and I'm sorry she had to go through that...I didn't mean to chase her away, it was just..."

"Difficult...?" It was Serina’s turn to end his thought this time as she nodded again, dropping down onto an empty stool and leaning against the bar, taking advantage of her moment of respite. "She knows, she understands Max...this whole thing is difficult for both of you I know, and that's understandable you know..." She shrugged. She had said much the same thing to Liz not so long ago, and while she didn't share Maria's thought that the two should be 'together', she certainly recognised the sense in what she had heard Isabel say a couple of days ago - the two had a lot in common...and maybe they could help one another...if only they would actually talk…

She hesitated a moment, and then, as she saw someone at one of her tables look over lout of the corner of her eye, she stood up, ready to head over, but looked back just for a moment finding she had one more thing to say... "Max...I'm sorry about your wife..."

Maria please, drop it for the moment..." Isabel requested softly, taking advantage of the absence of a certain brunette as Liz disappeared into the back room for her break.

Maria just wouldn’t quit... And, while that was an admirable trait on the whole, and her stubbornness had been a good thing in more than one case which she was sure the group would be happy to accept, this wasn't one of those times...

She knew of course that the other girl meant well, she would never intentionally hurt, or upset either Max or Liz, whatever reality they might have come from, but that was exactly what she was doing it seemed...

Isabel had watched the almost painful silences which had followed as Maria had made attempt after attempt to push the two of them together. The stilted conversation, or worse, the look of a scared rabbit in their eyes as they found they didn’t know what to say to one another…

Even when they had arrived and had been looking for work, Maria had suggested that Liz and Max look together… It had been blatantly obvious what she was doing of course, and she had been told more than once to leave it, but she just wouldn’t listen…

In the end it had been Liz who quashed the suggestion of working together, mentioning that she thought he usually worked in a club or something, and reminding everyone that she wasn’t even eighteen… As mature as she seemed, it was highly unlikely that she would ever pass for over twentyone…

Which was true, Isabel thought, especially considering the fact that she herself hadn’t passed the age requirement, but Liz shouldn’t have been asked to do that in the first place! It was too soon for anything like that, even if she was trying to get them together – which she wasn’t – Isabel recognised that… The two of them had so much baggage in their past, that to get them talking properly would be a good first step.

That was what she had been trying to do, and she had thought maybe she was making some headway as she had been speaking to her brother. Liz had been next…until Maria had mentioned that she and Max were ‘meant to be’…

It had been a simple enough comment, which, said correctly would have been fine… Liz had been talking about her past, and they about theirs… The respective couples of Max and Liz in each reality had been mentioned of course, and comments had been made… All that was fine, but Maria hadn’t said ‘they were meant to be’, but ‘you are meant to be…’ Innocent enough from someone else perhaps and if it had been Alex, or Kyle it would probably have passed as a slip of the tongue, but there was no hiding her meaning, and for the past hour since then Liz had been avoiding the two of them. She said she was just keeping busy of course, but coincidentally keeping busy on this occasion seemed to coincide wherever possible with remaining at the opposite side of the diner to the others… It didn’t take much to see that she was running scared.

It was a mess… And it didn’t seem to be getting any better… At this rate, she wouldn’t be surprised if Liz tried leaving them again, and that was the last thing that anyone wanted she was sure.

“I just-“ The curley haired waitress turned with plates in her hand and opened her mouth to respond but she didn’t get far.

“I know you mean well, but don’t Maria, give them time!” Isabel interrupted and shook her head again before having to leave her friend in order to ring up the bill of a couple who were leaving…

Would it ever get any easier…? Liz bit down on her lip as she asked herself the question, pulling a small picture from her pocket – a single, small, worn picture from one of those strips you got from the machines… It had been taken the first Valentines day she and Max had been together, a day so wonderful, so sweet and…perfect… Never could she have imagined what would happen in future years, at that moment there had just been the two of them, and it had been…wonderful…

“I know, you wouldn’t want me to give up, but I miss you so much you know…” She whispered softly to the figure in the picture. “I just wish we had known, maybe we could have done something differently, or maybe we could just have made the most of the time we had…

Swallowing, she opened the collar of her dress, pulling out the locket which hung beneath and reaching behind her neck to release the clasp as she allowed the chain to slip down onto her hand. The only sign of commitment she had ever been able to wear – and even that people hadn’t been allowed to see…

She knew of course that her parents had meant well in their insistence to wait, but sometimes she just wished… Well…she just wished…

Closing her eyes, she closed her fingers over the locket, holding it up to her chest, next to her heart, as she thought about recent conversations.

“They were great together, nothing would separate them, and they just…seemed so right…”

“Things weren’t always easy, but they managed to make it work somehow…despite everything…”

“I’m not saying they didn’t have their arguments, and there was so much stuff which seemed to be keeping them apart but…” Isabel had broken off, shaking her head as she tried to explain, attempting to steer clear of giving details, something which she felt was for her brother to do if he wanted, and yet trying to help her understand…

“You’re made for one another…” Maria had interrupted…

And it was that simple statement which had ended the conversation… They had been finding out about one another, which was good, and then suddenly, it had returned to the pushing and weedling, trying to force the two of them together… Had it been Isabel, she might have thought it was a slip of the tongue, but it wasn’t with Maria, and they all knew it…

So she had excused herself to go and deal with a customer, and used every possible excuse to maintain the distance between her and the other two girls for the rest of the evening…

She meant well of course – Maria – and Liz would never have thought, or said, anything else, but it was just something she couldn’t deal with at that time… Hard enough to go through each day missing her boyfriend and see Max there, but to have someone suggest they should be together…it was just…too much…

In case everyone had forgotten – and she knew she was being unfair here perhaps, but she couldn’t help it – she was only seventeen… For all she might seem mature and capable, she was still a child really. Seventeen, with a two year old daughter, having left her boyfriend, the father of her child, and friends behind to an almost certain death, and knowing she could never go home…

She was doing her best of course, she had to, for Emily, but sometimes it was so difficult, and Maria wasn’t making it any better…

“Liz…?”

The brunette blinked as a familiar voice broke into her thoughts. Turning quickly, she stood up as she looked over at Isabel who stood in the doorway which led back out to the dinning area. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to take too long for break, I was just-“

“You’re not taking too long…in fact you’ve hardly been out two minutes!” Her friend lifted a hand to interrupt her before assuring the other. “I didn’t come to ask you to come back…” She shook her head and offered a small smile before gesturing towards one of the worn seats which graced the back room. “You take your time…”

“What, oh yeah, of thanks…” The brunette smiled and, after a moment’s thought, moved up, gesturing to the spot next to her and patting the cushion there. “In fact why don’t you join me…?”

“Thanks…” Isabel smiled softly as she moved further into the room and took the seat she had indicated. “I can’t stay long, because it isn’t fair to Maria, but it’s fairly quiet at the moment, and I just wanted to see that you were okay…”

Her words caused Liz to look away slightly, almost as though trying to avoid the probing gaze of her friend. “I-I’m fine…”

“And now with feeling…” Isabel’s voice left no doubt that she remained unconvinced…

Liz flushed, reaching up to push her hair back from her face and scraping it back into a band once more. “I’m sorry, I know that I’m letting it get to me too much, and I don’t mean to be so…emotional, but I just…” She broke off, shaking her head helplessly. “I just think that I-“

“Need some time…?” Isabel reached out to touch her hand softly, nodding as she looked back at the young woman. “I know, and I keep trying to tell Maria that, but then you know Maria…”

“Yeah…once she gets something into her head she’s as stubborn as a mule…” Liz laughed softly and then shook her head. “Or at least my Maria was…” She closed her eyes and bit down on her lip, shaking her head again as she stood and walked away across the room. “This is what I mean, we’re all doing it, assuming things about one another, making each other into the people we know and it’s not fair on anyone….”

“It’s okay Liz…” Isabel stood and followed the distressed teen, reaching out to draw her into her arms. “It’s okay, Maria doesn’t hold it against you, and on this occasion, you’re exactly right anyway…” She shook her head and gave a wry smile. “When she gets hold of something, she just doesn’t let go…which I guess makes her a good match for Michael”

Liz gave a choked laugh as she rubbed away the remnants of tears, swallowing as she looked back at the tall red-head. “I’m sorry Isabel…I’m sorry for all of this, for making things so complicated, and messing things up and-“

Isabel held up her hand again as she shook her head. “It’s okay Liz…it’ll be okay…things will be okay…just give them a bit of time…” She whispered softly as she silenced her with a look and then pulled her friend into her arms…
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Hey Guys, I'm back!

Wow, thanks for all the feedback:

Flyaway Raven - thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed the part. Hopefully this one is a little more cheerful...sort of...
Begonia9508 - Nice to be back...although I'm still a little sketchy at the moment I'm afraid. She's only trying to do what she thinks is best, unfortunately, she's rather stubborn about admiting she's wrong... But yeah, Max and Liz need to make that decision themselves.
Alien614 - I'm back... I'm glad you like Isabel. I have to say, it wasn't something I planned, the friendship between her and Liz, but that does seem to be how it's working out doesn't it?
Emz80m - I'm so pleased to see you're still enjoying the story, thanks for sticking with it.
roswell3053 - I'm back...better late than never right? Maria does mean well you know, but you're right, at the moment she's just upsetting people more...maybe that needs to be pointed out to her, rather than just asking her to leave them be... Just a thought...
Dream Weaver - Thanks. Heart wrenching? - honestly, I have to admit I've struggled to write it sometimes, and not because of not knowing what to write, so you're right there. I'm glad you know that Maria is just trying her best, and I have to admit, this Isabel that's developed is certainly growing on me every chapter :), I'm glad you like her too.
ceg - Thanks for reading, here's more. I hope you continue to enjoy.
Flamehair - Thanks for sticking with it Flamehair, I'm glad you're still enjoying it.
dusk - Aren't all stories imaginative :wink: As for Alex and Serina, she was at the uni he stayed at when Tess was mindwarping him. They got to know one another and became good friends. More details will follow I hope, but that's what I've tried to provide so far.
paper - Michael and Kyle watching the kids...? I'm thinking that's not going to work too well. Kyle maybe, but Thomas has already shown he hates Michael... I think it's best to assume that the scene with Max and Serina was set at a slightly different time than the one with the girls, so that either Liz, Serina, or one of the other girls would be able to watch them...
behrluv32 - I'm glad you're enjoying it, even if it is sad. As for Liz and Max, well they're living 'together' - with all the others too of course - so they can't avoid one another forever really can they? This next might help, hope you enjoy it.
Ellie - Yay, you're still reading :) I'm so pleased. Thanks for sticking with this. I like the way you put it about Maria too. You're right, it doesn't seem as though she has finished grieving for her friend, which is highly likely considering, and that can only be making things harder and more complicated on her side as well as Max and Liz'. I'm glad you approve of Serina and Max talking, I don't know why, it just seemed the right thing to do, and Isabel and Liz, well, you know how stories sometimes have their own life - this is one of those, the story led me there, and I know it's not the usual friendship, and it might not be what I was expecting when I started I have to admit, but I think it works... Of course I think that Maria and Liz will have a friendship too, but perhaps not quite that I had first imagined...

Well, Nano didn't exactly work out for me - I was sick part way through November and have never really got back into it so I figured I'd get this ready for you a bit sooner than intended since there's no way I'm going to make it now. I'm also going through something at work at the moment and I think everything that I've been dealing with all year is finally getting on top of me. I'm going to be honest guys, I'm not doing well, I have some big decisions to make at the moment and while I'm trying to persist with my writing, I'm not going to say this is the best, I hope it won't disappoint you all.

Also, as an aside, if you have notifications on this fic, you'll probably want to check on it again in a couple of days because I'm going to ask if it can be pruned up to this chapter after I save my feedback over the weekend.

Thanks again for all the feedback and encouragement.

I hope you enjoy the new part.

~Kat~

Chapter 52

“Sorry, we’re just closing up…” Liz didn’t even bother looking up from the table she was wiping as she heard the bell above the door ring. It was five past midnight, and she was more than ready to get back to the hotel. One thing she didn’t need was more customers...

“Can’t I even get a cherry coke…?”

Her head shot up sharply at the sound of the familiar male, her mouth open in shock at his unexpected appearance.

Reading the expression on her face, Max gave a small shrug as he moved further into the diner. “Sorry, didn’t mean to shock you…” He apologised softly.

The brunette shook her head quickly. “What, oh no, it’s fine… I just…” Her voice trailed off as she realised she didn’t really know what to say…

Max gave a wry smile, “Wasn’t expecting me?” He nodded. “Yeah, I know that…but Serina asked me to call by…” He paused a moment, boosting himself up onto a stool at the counter as he looked back at her again now. “She said she was supposed to be meeting you…”

Liz nodded awkwardly. “Yeah…just with Maria and Isabel not being around… You know you’ve said you don’t want us walking home alone…” She paused a moment, her eyes widening in alarm as his words began to sink in. “Did something happen to Rina, is she-“

“She’s fine…” Max nodded again quickly, offering her a reassuring smile before explaining, “She just got a call at work, apparently Maria thought that Thomas was getting worse and when Rina heard she wanted to go back and see to him…I’m sure you understand…”

“Oh, yeah, of course…” The young mother immediately seemed to relax, understanding instantly why her friend hadn’t been able to meet her now. Maria had come down with a flu-like virus earlier that week and Thomas had seemed a little rough last night. Serina had been uncertain about even going to work that day, so it was little surprise that she had wanted to go home at the first sign of trouble… Liz looked back at Max now. “You didn’t have to come and meet me though, you could just have called…” She shrugged slightly. “I mean I can look after myself you know…”

Max nodded, the edge of his lips turning up in something of a smile it seemed. “I’m not suggesting you can’t, but it’s just better not to go about alone…” He reiterated his earlier instructions in a round about way, although he knew she was probably right… That rule had been more aimed at ensuring that no one without powers went about alone, and of course that didn’t apply to her… She had full control of her powers from what he had seen, and wasn’t afraid to use them if needed.

Still, he couldn’t help feeling that he would be happier seeing her back to the hotel, and it wasn’t as though he had been forced to come out of his way was it? The diner was on his normal route back afterall…

Raising an eyebrow in response to his words, Liz didn’t say anything more but instead simply nodded and seemed to accept the argument. It just wasn’t worth arguing over…and it wasn’t as though she really minded, she just didn’t want to be a bother…

“Seriously, it’s no trouble Liz, I don’t mind…” Max added, almost as though reading her mind.

The young brunette swallowed, busying herself again for a moment with the table. It was times like this which made things so difficult. It had been fine up till that point, and then such an innocent comment… It was exactly what she needed to be told, and stupid as it might sound, that was the problem…

He knew her so well, and yet, at the same time, he didn’t… There were times at which it was as though he was reading her mind, or alternatively that she was doing the same… It seemed almost as though he knew her better than she did herself, and yet she knew that in truth, it was someone else he had known…

It wasn’t his fault anymore than it was hers of course, and it wasn’t as though the things they said weren’t true, but it was just…strange…

“Are you okay Liz…?” Max watched her as she moved about in silence. Her eyes appeared to have glazed over, as though she was a long way away in her mind…

His words brought the back to the present, pulling her out of her thoughts. “W-what, oh yeah, I’m fine…” She swallowed and bit down on her lip. It wasn’t fair to be upset afterall, it wasn’t as though Max would have been intending to do it, it was just something which…happened…

Trying to push the discomfort from her mind, she turned to look back around. “I just need to finish up here and then cash up…shouldn’t be long now…” She assured him in a soft, even tone.

“Can I help…?”

She looked over at him in surprise, clearly not having expected that. “W-what? I mean, r-really, that’s not necessary…” She struggled over her words, struggling to make any kind of intelligible response it seemed.

He nodded slowly, “Maybe not, but that’s not what I asked…” Max pointed out softly. He shrugged. “Afterall, the sooner you’re done, the sooner we get back to the hotel right?”

She couldn’t argue with the logic in that. “Y-yeah, I guess…”

“So is there anything I can do…?” He gestured around the diner before bringing his gaze to rest once more on her.

Hesitating for a moment, Liz then began to nod slowly. “You could finish wiping down the tables for me, if you’re sure you don’t mind…that way I can do the cashing up while you’re doing that…” The brunette suggested hesitantly. “But only if you want to, I can manage fine on my own…” She hurried to add, not wanting to feel as though she was palming her work off on someone else… Max had been working just as hard as her all evening she was sure, and now he had finished, he must be tired and would have every right just to want to sit and wait.

“I offered didn’t I…?” Max couldn’t help giving a small smile of amusement as he held out his hand for the cloth. “Do you know how to take yes for an answer…?”

Liz’s cheeks reddened at that. “I-I guess…yes…thanks…” She returned the smile awkwardly, handing over the cloth before moving back towards the counter where she opened the till to empty and cash up.

“Maria…?” Serina knocked gently on the door to the room Maria had been sharing with Michael after checking on a dozing Thomas and seeing him back asleep. The little boy would likely sleep for some time now so she thought she’d see if the other girl wanted some company…

“Oh, hey Rina, come in…” Maria greeted the young woman with as much of a smile as she could muster thanks to her blocked up nose. Her head felt like it weighed a hundred tons it seemed. “Sorry, I just…” She was forced to break off as she reached for another tissue and blew her nose loudly into it.

The older of the two women shook her head with a small smile of sympathy. “Oh, not at all, nothing you apologise for you know…” She assured her with another smile as she came to perch on the side of the bed.

Maria pulled a face as she buried her nose in the tissue again just before a huge sneeze exploded. Blowing her tender nose, she wiped it with the tissue and then looked back at the other girl as she lowered it once more. Her eyes were watering, her nose was red and raw, and her hair had seen better days for sure. She knew she looked a mess, and she felt worse…

“You look rough…” Serina’s words might have sounded insulting, but the concerned tone she used showed they were meant as anything but.

She nodded, pulling a face. “Kinda…how’s Thomas…?”

The young mother smiled softly in response to the question, shaking her head with a shrug. “He’s got a cold for sure, but it’s nothing too serious, a couple of days in bed and he’ll be fine!”

“That’s good…I’m sorry for calling you like that, I just t-”

Serina shook her head again quickly, holding up a hand to stop the other girl. “Maria seriously, I would FAR rather you call me than not…” She gave a sheepish smile. “I know it’s not the best for our finances, but I don’t want to leave my boy when he’s sick…even if I know it’s not serious…”

The younger of the girls nodded. “Okay, I just remembered that you were supposed to be meeting Liz, with Isabel having the night off an all…” She pulled a bit of a face. It certainly wasn’t ideal, Isabel with night off, and her off sick both on the same day, but Isabel had pulled a shift that afternoon, so there was no way she could be expected to cover.

“That’s right, but it’s cool, I asked Max to do it…” Serina responded easily. It was the one reason she had hesitated about wanting to go back and see to Thomas if she was honest, but she had thought about it carefully, and while the substitute she had arranged might not be ideal, she knew that Liz would understand.

“Really and he agreed?” Suddenly Maria seemed twice as awake and alert as she had been a moment earlier and Serina certainly didn’t miss that.

“Yes…” She responded a little warily, only too aware of how, although with the best of intentions, Maria had been trying to push the two together. “I just wanted to make sure she got home safe you know…and it was on his way back…” Serina explained her reasons in a logical manner.

“What, oh yeah, of course…” Maria nodded but she didn’t fool the older woman for one second.

If she had even been listening enough to hear her it would be a miracle…“Maria…?” She looked at her carefully. “I really think that you should leave them be for a bit…”

“I wasn-“ She shook her head and began.

“Yes, you were!” Serina interrupted before she could finish the denial. “Maria, everyone knows what you’re trying to do, including Liz and Max, and right now, from everything I’ve seen, neither is ready for anything like that…” She knew she meant well, but meaning well, and getting it right were two different things…

“I just think they would be good for one another… They’ve been through the same things an-“

“And that’s precisely why they need time…” The older of the two women interrupted again as she tried to explain. She didn’t want to come across as being a busybody, really she didn’t, but Liz was her friend. Max certainly seemed like a nice enough guy now she was getting to know him, but both had been through a huge amount, and that wasn’t going to disappear overnight… “This has to be their decision and no one elses…” She pressed gently, hoping desperately that some of the message was getting across this time. Maria was a wonderful person, and so enthusiastic, but accepting she was wrong, as with so many people, didn’t seem to be her forte.

Perhaps surprisingly though, her words gave Maria pause for thought and she seemed to think over what she was saying. “Isabel agrees they could help one another you know…” She commented softly although for the first time in a while, she wasn’t quite sure she knew where she was going with it…

Serina nodded. “Yeah, I think so too, but pushing them together isn’t helping Maria, they have to realise it by themselves, because trying to force them like this, is only causing further hurt…”

“I don’t mean to…” The younger girl suddenly looked extremely subdued.

“I know that, and so do they, but right now, if you really want to help, I would suggest leaving them, giving them time, and letting them work things out on their own…” Serina offered a small reassuring smile as she reached out to touch her shoulder.

There was another silence, before Maria finally nodded again in acceptance. She sighed and looked over at the other girl. “How did you become so wise…?” She questioned softly.

Serina smiled before responding with a single word, “Experience…” She shrugged it off and reached for a brush which lay on the bedside table. “Now, how about I help you do your hair…I know it always makes me feel better when I’m sick…” She suggested softly with another small smile.

“Okay, I’m done here…” Liz announced as she locked the cash away carefully and grabbed a cloth just to wipe down the counter. Tossing the dirty cloth into the laundry basket when she was done, she smiled as she walked up to Max who had seated himself on one of the stools after he finished wiping down the tables.

“Yeah? Okay well how about we get out of here then?” He questioned as he rose from his seat quickly, picking up her coat which hung on the back of a chair nearby and holding it out to her without even thinking about it.

“Thanks…” She smiled and nodded, accepting the help offered without question as she slid her arms through the sleeves and grabbed her bag from the floor. One last look around to make sure she hadn’t forgotten anything, and then she offered another nod as nod as they headed out of the diner together.

The two stepped out onto the street in silence and then stopped while Liz turned back to lock up before continuing down the road. Neither said anything for a few moments, and then, as they stopped at some lights, waiting to cross the road, Liz turned to look up at Max, “I just want to thank you…for helping me, and calling by you know…” She commented softly, offering a small smile.

Max shrugged. “Nothing to thank me for, I was happy to do it…” He responded evenly.

Their conversation was put on hold for a moment then, as the lights turned to red and the two focused on crossing safely before continuing.

“Well thanks anyway…” Liz ran a hand through her hair a little nervously as they turned the corner. “It was nice of you…”

The young man with her grinned. “Well, I’m a nice guy, or so I’m told…” He winked.

Sticking her tongue out playfully, Liz was about to retort, but then stopped, clamming up as she found herself thinking of a similar conversation she had in the past.

Her sudden reluctance didn’t go unnoticed by Max, who stopped and turned, reaching out to touch her arm. “Liz, are you okay…?”

“What, oh yeah I’m fine, it’s just…” The brunette trailed off, shaking her head, not really sure how to explain. “Sometimes you just sound so like him…it’s difficult to remind myself that you’re not…” She swallowed and looked at him. “I’m sorry, I’ve been complaining about exactly the same thing, and I know it’s not fair, I just can’t…”

“You can’t help it, I know, and I also know it’s not intentional…” He interrupted her, his voice soft and soothing in tone as he nodded again. “In some ways we know one another better than we know ourselves maybe, and in others…”

“We’re still strangers…” Liz finished for him softly. She nodded sadly. “T-thank you…”

“It’s okay…I do understand…” Max responded, watching her for a moment as she looked up, her eyes staring deep into the dark night sky.

“I know…” She bit down on her lip as she looked back over at him, shaking her head again as she tried to get a hold of herself. “I’m sorry, it just seems so crazy, I mean I don’t even know what your favourite band was when you finished school, or who your favourite author Is, or who your favourite teacher was…yet I look at you, and I feel as though I should…” The brunette tried to explain, her gaze resting on him for a few moments, taking in his hair, and eyes, and hands…

He listened for a moment and nodded. “You’re right, we don’t know the first thing about one another’s lives really, and maybe it’s time we put that right…”

“What do you mean…?” Liz looked at him in surprise, unable to hide her curiosity despite everything. Even though it was hard, she couldn’t deny that she would like that, however hard it might be…

“Well, it’s so easy to think of one another as someone that we’ve lost because we don’t know each other for who we are right…?” Max tried to explain.

“Y-yeah…I guess…” She nodded slowly.

“So let’s talk about ourselves, share experiences…” He paused a moment and looked at her, rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand absently. “I mean it Liz, I want to get to know you… I want to know what makes this amazing young woman tick…” He winked at her playfully. “Maybe we can even be friends…?”

Drawing in a deep breath, Liz nodded again, biting down on her lip and then managing something of a small smile as she looked back at him, so young for once, all the maturity beyond her years gone at this moment, leaving only a young, vulnerable teenager who had experienced all that loss and suffered so much… “I-I’d like that…” She responded in little more than a whisper, chewing nervously on her lip as she continued to stand with him.

Max smiled back and nodded. “Good…because I’d like that too…”
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Hey Guys :),

Emz80m - I'm glad you approve, thanks for reading
roswell3053 - Well hopefully Serina has been able to get Maria to see what the others have failed to do, and yes, Max and Liz are making an effort, that's all we can ask right?
begonia9508 - right, forcing them together will just make them put more distance between one anther, they have to take that step. Thanks for sticking with the story.
rar1942 - Thank you, I'm glad you think so.
Ellie - Thanks for the good wishes sweetie, I'm still not doing too great, but I'm getting through. At least my muse is making a bit of an appearance at the moment, that has to be good right? I'm glad you approved of how the chapter went, hopefully you'll enjoy this next too.
Natalie36 - Thanks for reaidng
Alien614 - Small steps are a beginning, they're better than nothing right?
Flamehair - Thank you, hope you enjoy the next too.
Dream Weaver - It wasn't an anticlimax then, I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
Adrianneleigh - Well as long as you caught up, welcome back, I'm glad you're still enjoying the story.

I know, an update on Christmas Eve is probably not what you'll be expecting from me, and if I say it's actually after midnight, so is actually Christmas Day here I might have you asking what's happened to me, but I've been working on trying to get some updates ready for this week for a while, and finally they're done. So I really want to put them up, with wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you. I hope you enjoy the new part.

Kat

Chapter 53

“Okay, so where do you want to start then…?” Liz looked over at Max later that same evening as they entered the room he was sharing with Kyle. The other guy was still out with Isabel, the pair having decided to take advantage of their night off, and Max and Liz had decided this was as good a place as any…

“I don’t know, but how about from the beginning…” Max suggested with a shrug and smile as he sat down on the bottom of the bed and motioned for her to do the same.

She nodded. “Sure, the beginning sounds like as good a place as any…” Her eyes twinkled with a youthful mischief for a moment as she held off sitting down for the moment and held out her hand. “So introductions first…?”

Max couldn’t help but laugh. Such a simple thing, which was really unnecessary but at the same time sounded just right. They were getting to know one another, and yes, an introduction was the first step in that. A way to start afresh, and try and get past the hurt and the pain which had made them so unresponsive to one another so far… If only they had done that first, how much better might it be already? He nodded silently as he reached out to shake the hand she offered hand. “Hi, I’m Max Evans…and you are?”

“Liz Parker…” She sat down next to him, looking over and offering a weak yet genuine, if somewhat nervous smile. “Nice to meet you Max…” The young girl spoke in little more than a whisper, although didn’t break eye contact as she settled herself on the bed.

Returning the smile, Max reached over to squeeze her hand gently in reassurance and for once, neither stiffened or pulled away. “So Liz Parker, how about you tell me a little about yourself to start…?” He suggested with a small smile, inviting her to start in the hopes that it might help to calm her…

Hesitating for a moment, taking a few minutes to think about it, she then nodded slowly. “Okay… My full name is Elizabeth Claudia Parker, my parents are called Nancy and Jeff and I lived in Roswell all my life up until about two months ago…” Swallowed before looking back at him. “Your turn…”

Max nodded back and similarly thought for a moment. “My full name is Maxwell Philip Evans, I have a sister called Isabel, and we were both adopted when we were six by-“

“Diane and Philip Evans…” Liz bit down on her lip and looked over at him apologetically as she interrupted. “Sorry…”

He shook his head and smiled again. “It’s okay…I figured you’d already know most of this stuff, but we have to start somewhere right…?” He shrugged and then waited another moment before continuing. “My birthday is the 8th October and I’m twenty years old…”

“I’m seventeen and have a two year old daughter…” Liz offered next although there was little need in truth… She swallowed and bit down on her lip again, her voice trembling now as she spoke once more. “Her father was the love of my life…”

“And he was a very lucky guy…” Max commented automatically without thinking although as he realised what had slipped out, a guarded look passed over his eyes as he tried to backpeddle, apologising repeatedly for the slip. “Sorry, I shouldn’t have said that…I didn’t mean anything by it, I’m not trying to-“

The young brunette held up a hand and shook her head. “I know, it’s okay…” She nodded and forced another weak smile to show him she meant it. “I understand remember…”

Her words struck a cord as he realised she was right… Seeking out her hand again, Max took it in his, and the two of them just sat there for a few moments in silence, lost in their thoughts, yet each providing much needed support to the other… Finally though, both were ready to continue and as Liz looked up with a small nod, Max decided to take the lead… “So how did you all meet…how old were you?” He questioned softly.

Liz blinked and swallowed, taking a moment to recompose herself as memories continued to stream through her mind. “W-we were about six… Alex, Maria and I were already friends when Max and Isabel started school… We went over to say hi, and I guess you could say we just hit it off you know…? Michael came along a little while later, but by the time we were seven we were all firm friends…”

Max nodded a little dumbly, hardly able to believe that in a different reality he would have known her so long… If only he had the guts to go up to his Liz sooner… “For us it was a lot later… Michael, Isabel and I hung around after we got to know one another, and I sort of knew Liz, worked with her in class as such, but it wasn’t until about four years ago that we became friends…”

“The day of the shooting…?”

He looked at her in surprise, having assumed that she would be unaware of that since he guessed it wouldn’t have happened in her reality. “Y-yeah…how-?”

“Maria mentioned something about a couple of days ago…I don’t know any details, but from the little I’ve heard it seemed to make sense…” She explained softly.

Max nodded slowly. “Y-yeah… Liz was working in the Crashdown, and I sat there watching as usual… I had always liked her you know, just I’d never had the courage to go up to her and later on I thought it was too dangerous…”

“But you risked it, for her…to save her…” The brunette next to him commented softly, taking her turn now to squeeze his hand.

He nodded again. “Yeah, I couldn’t leave her…not Liz…”

“I know…” Liz swallowed as she remembered being told something very similar herself, although on a very different occasion… In so many ways, it was different and yet the same it seemed…

Another silence followed now, as each thought of the one they had lost, remembering special moments that would always have a place in their heart…

“Max and I got together much sooner… We were still very much kids when we started going out, but that doesn’t mean we thought any less of each other…” Liz commented as she finally broke the silence. “People could say we were too young all they liked, but I know how I felt…how I feel - I loved him, and things might not have been ideal, but I wouldn’t change a thing of what happened…” Her voice trailed off as a lump seemed to fill her throat and she looked down, her gaze dropping to her lap where she seemed to find something to fix her eyes on as her lip continued to tremble.

“I know the feeling…” Max nodded and squeezed her hand again, rubbing his thumb on the back of her hand in a comforting manner as best he could, trying to give her time, and yet also let her know she wasn’t alone…

Over the couple of hours, despite the fact it was early hours of the morning in truth, the two of them exchanged little bits of information, trying to learn more about one another, and finding, as they did, both things which the two realities had in common, and of course a lot more that differed.

Most of the subjects were kept fairly simple though, and other than an initial talk of getting together, and in general terms, the relationship each had shared with their version of the other was left off limits for the moment. Eventually they would probably share they admitted, but for the moment perhaps it was too painful, too fresh, too personal, and it was a case of one step at a time…easy does it…

They spoke of group outings, birthday presents, family, friends, and everyone in between. While it wasn’t particularly deep, the conversation was comprehensive, or as comprehensive as it could be in a couple of hours, and slowly, Max and Liz found they were growing more comfortable as they reached a stage where they could say they knew at least a little about one another…

For the first time since they had met, it seemed they had let their walls down, were both talking openly, and perhaps it would come as little surprise to the others if they had seen them, that they were getting along fine…

Every so often one of them would say something which would cause a period of thoughtful silence, as a comment would trigger a series of memories, which each just wanted to focus on for a short while and neither was eager to share as yet, but there could be no doubt that they had taken a step forward that night, a step into friendship, and a step towards healing…

As the second hand of the alarm clock by the bed just passed three, Liz couldn’t help but yawn. Lifting her hand to cover her mouth, she looked over at Max apologetically, who waved it away as he caught sight of the clock. “It’s fine, and in fact it’s completely understandable…”

His comment caused her to look at her watch, her eyes widening as she realised the time and another yawn crept up her throat, her eyelids suddenly feeling incredibly heavy as she fought against the sleep which threatened to take her.

Max offered a wry smile. “I guess we lost track of time…” He commented.

She nodded, laughing softly before covering her hand with her mouth to try and siffle another yawn. “Oooooh….Seems so…” She just about managed to get out. It seemed as though now she had started, she couldn’t stop…

“So…” Max trailed off, lacking in words it seemed…

“So…” She echoed him despite her tiredness, a curious mischievous-looking twinkle in her eyes. She apparently wasn’t going to help with this…

Max gave a slight smile. “Maybe we should call it a night…?” He paused a moment before continuing, wanting to make sure she knew he wasn’t just trying to get rid of her because, truth be told, that was the last thing he wanted to do. “B-but if you were up for it, I’d like to do it again sometime…? Not necessarily the whole ‘get to know you’, because I think we’ve made pretty good headway there, but just to talk…” He tried to explain.

Liz listened and then nodded slowly, a small yet genuine smile gracing her features as she responded softly. “I’d like that…”

Exchanging hushed goodnights, the two rose from the bed and moved towards the door. Collecting her coat and bag from the floor where they had been dropped upon entry, Liz smiled again as she slipped them over her arm and then turned back to Max. “I-I just wanted to say thank you…”

Max smiled, shaking his head as he looked back at her. “It was my pleasure…”

As a small figure slipped through the door to her room, moving quickly and quietly, not wanting to disturb anyone, little did she know there was someone in bed who was far from fast asleep.

Isabel had arrived back with Kyle some hours before and, since they weren’t yet tired, had headed to Kyle’s room in the hopes that it would be vacant and they could talk some more. They had enjoyed an evening of fun – nothing too heavy or involved because they were after all just friends, but a nice meal, good company, and a trip to a club after…

At the club, they had found they were less than keen on the music though, and after struggling to talk some more over the din, had decided to call it a night. Which was how they had found themselves outside the room Max and Kyle had shared.

Kyle had put his key in the door, turned it in the lock and begun to push forward, before Isabel had put her hand on his shoulder and stopped him. She had recognised the voices which drifted through the crack and hadn’t wanted to interrupt…

So they had made their way along to Maria and Michael’s room, where Kyle had just crashed using one of the sleeping bags which was stored there, and she had come back to her own alone. Since then though, she had been waiting, wanting to see what mood Liz would be in when she came back…and it seemed she was not to be disappointed.

There was no mistaking the lightness of her step, and unless she was very much mistaken, it was not only because the young woman was trying to be quiet and avoid disturbing anyone in the room, but also because things had gone well.

Two broken hearts had started to open up to one another, to talk and share and, as Isabel thought as she turned over and pulled up her covers, she could only hope a new friendship had perhaps been born…
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...