When Love & Loss Collide(M/L Teen/Mature) [COMPLETE]

Finished stories set in an alternate universe to that introduced in the show, or which alter events from the show significantly, but which include the Roswell characters. Aliens play a role in these fics. All complete stories on the main AU with Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

*Hides behind computer screen nervously* I'm back...

Okay guys, I have a huge appology to make about how long this has taken I know, but hopefully my offering today of two chapters :wink: will go some way to making up for that.

I'm really sorry that it has taken so long, but I am immensely grateful for all the feedback you've given me. Basically my last month at work was really crazy, and then I was moving back home at the end of my work placement. Less than two weeks after I did that, I was off to Atlanta to meet some wonderful ladies. After I came back there was my birthday party, and uni to get ready to go back to. I know this probably all sounds like an excuse, but seriously I really haven't had much time on the computer the last few weeks in particular since I got back from holiday. I've kept saying that I'm going to update, and then running out of time, or being called away to do something else.

Anyway, I restarted uni this last week, and finally here I am. I'm so sorry the time it's taken me to update, but I do intend to be updating on a more regular basis again now assuming nothing major happens to stop me.

Dani, behrlyliz, LoveIsforever, Cyn, Ellie, Isabelle, Begonia, Rigel, OmegaRam1, WildSphinx, Liz2Infinity, Sidney and Timelord31, thanks so much for all the feedback and the bumps guys :D , it means so much to know that you're all enjoying the story.

Dani - I'm glad you liked, the information about Tess will come, but it might take a while, I hope that you'll be patient with me

behrlyliz - I'm glad you liked it. I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner, had a really busy time when moving back home, and then I was on holiday so didn't get to update. I promise I'm going to try and do better in future though. Thanks for the bumps too

LoveIsForever -
So Max and Liz and the other timeline got together really young huh?
you could say that lol - it'll be explained in more detail eventually but life just sometimes throws things at you, and things happen...

Cyn - glad to see that you're still reading and enjoying. If you want to ask some questions, you're welcome to, I just won't promise to answer : :lol:.

Begonia9508 - I promise all will be explained in time

Ellie - It's amazing what people can deal with if they have to. I'm glad you like the post. Thanks for the bump, sorry it took me so long to get back.

Isabelle - thanks for the feedback as always hun. I'm glad you thought that Michael was in character, I was a little woried about that, but glad you think it worked...well sort of lol.

I couldn't resist putting the bit in with Maria, it was too tempting, and she really is such a sweetie. Of course you're right about it being difficult for Emily though, I can see some very awkward questions coming up, but for now I guess at least she has something familiar to cling to in Liz

Rigel - Emily is definitely going to be confused, and I tend to think it's a fine line as to what she should be told really, being so young.

OmegaRam1 - Welcome to the story, I'm glad you're enjoying it. As for Michael...well, you know Michael, he's never really one to listen to common sense has he?

WildSphinx - glad you're still reading and enjoying

Liz2Infinity - you are going to have to be patient, but I'm looking forward to showing you too

Sidney - Thanks, glad you like the story so far

Timelord31 - welcome to the story, glad you're enjoying it.

So anyway, here's the next two chapters, I hope you all enjoy them and as always I'd love to hear what you think.

Chapter 11

Isabel looked over at Max, wondering how he would take the question. It was a perfectly reasonable one of course, but whether anyone was really ready to talk about it was another matter.

Liz seemed to realise the question wasn’t exactly a welcome one and looked around somewhat apologetically. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to pry…”

Max, who had been lost in thought, looking down at his ring, looked up at the edge in her voice. He swallowed and shook his head. "No, you're not prying..." He responded. Despite the fact that he knew this wasn't his wife, that he knew this wasn't the same girl he had grown up with, seeing her like this caused exactly the same feelings inside. He didn't want to see her upset, or nervous... In just the same way as would be true for the woman he had lost, he wanted to see her happy, smiling and laughing...

Despite his words, Max didn't volunteer any more information though, and Liz waited in silence, knowing that one of the others would speak, as, when and if, they were ready... She didn't have any right to demand answers... Who was she, a stranger...? A stranger with a familiar face yes, but they no more knew her than she knew them... She knew nothing about their pasts, but already she knew they were far different from her own...

If they wanted to tell her about themselves, that was their choice, and she would just have to wait until they were ready...

"Mommy!"

Although she had been deep in thought, Liz's attention immediately returned to her daughter the moment she heard her voice. She turned quickly to the little girl. "What is it honey...?"

Emily looked around the group, her big brown eyes wide and innocent. She rubbed her stomach. "Me hungry..."

The whole room erupted into laughter. Maria grinned and looked over at Liz. "She is so cute you know..."

Liz shook her head and couldn't help laughing. "Cute, and smart..." She commented softly. Even at two-year-old, her daughter already knew how to play certain people in order to get what she wanted...

Max couldn't help smiling at her. He looked round the rest of the room. "Well, it is probably time for breakfast...how about we all go out and find some...?" He suggested evenly. He knew that breakfast would delay the giving of answers, but that wasn't his primary thought. He just couldn't see the little girl looking like this and not do something about it...

Liz smiled, surprised to some extent how like her Max this one looked right at this moment in time. Emily always knew just how to wrap him round her little finger, and she guessed that it was no different with this Max even if he wasn't her 'father'. How weird was this for him...seeing this little girl, and knowing, that in another reality she was his...? She wondered to herself for a moment before shaking herself out of it. She reached out her hands, beckoning her daughter over as everyone seemed to agree with the idea. "Emily...come here please..." She requested, reaching into her bag again and this time pulling out a brush and blue hair band.

The little girl looked over and immediately ran over, flinging herself around her mother's legs much to the group's amusement. Liz smiled and shook her head. Deftly, she unhooked the arms which were surrounding her legs and lifted the little girl up high, depositing her back on her lap and positioning her sitting forward as she began to brush through her daughter's hair.

Emily giggled as she was lifted up in the air, but as she found herself sat back on her lap, she pouted, inching forward as though to slide back down as her mother paused a moment to get something else out of the bag.

The group watched with curiosity, wondering how this would end up, and they soon got their answer. Just as Emily was about to jump down, Liz reached out, her hand closing on her arm. "No..." She told her daughter softly. The little girl looked puzzled, presumably having thought she wasn't looking, and Liz grinned, indicating the back of her head. "Mommies have eyes here as well remember..." She told her laughing.

This caused another eruption of laughter from the group. As he regained his composure though, Max began to look a little pensive. For all her joviality and laughter, this couldn't be an easy thing for her... In some ways, this Liz was so much younger than the rest of them, yet in others, she had been through so much more than any of them... She had become an adult at such a young age, taking on a responsibility only he could even come close to imagining... He knew how difficult it would have been with Xan had he kept him - not that the difficulty was the reason he gave him away of course, but it would have been hard...and he'd have been eighteen... This Liz was fifteen when she had Emily... She was obviously doing an amazing job...

Liz laughed with the rest of the group, pulling Emily further back onto her lap slightly. "I won't be a minute sweets, have a little patience okay...?" She knew probably it wasn't much good saying that...it wasn't an attribute the little girl was known for but she could hope...

Emily turned round slightly. "Want down!" She insisted, trying to inch forward again.

Liz sighed and shook her head. "NO!" She told her in an even, firm tone. "I want you to sit here a moment so I can finish putting your hair up and then we're going to get something to eat like you wanted okay?"

Apparently placated by the offer of food, the little girl nodded and sat back.

Liz picked up the water bottle she had pulled out of her bag, spraying a little onto her hair and brushing through again. She used her own powers to dry it quickly and then swept the dark locks back into a ponytail. Turning the little girl slightly so that she could check, once she was done she nodded and deposited her back on the floor. Suddenly, she realised that all eyes in the room were focused on her. She blushed slightly. "Sorry...I didn't mean to hold you up..."

The others quickly assured her she wasn't, apologising themselves but explaining that it just seemed a little strange still seeing her like that with Emily.

There was another short silence after this, one which was broken by Max as he asked if everyone was ready. Prompted by this, everyone began to gather jackets and coats, and it was at this point they realised that Liz and Emily's lightweight summer ones were hardly sufficient.

"Izzy...do you or Maria have anything you might be able to loan Liz for now...?" Max asked after a moment's thought. For Emily, he looked over at Liz. "Could I have a look at her jacket a moment?" He held out his hand as he made the request.

Although a little surprised, Liz nodded, passing it over. "Sure...but you know I can manage honestly...I'm more interested in Emily, and I'm sure I would be able to pick something up for her soon enough...as long as we're not going far it shouldn't be a problem..." She told them, feeling exceedingly awkward for putting them out as Maria and Isabel walked over to the closet. The two of them appeared to be discussing something - one obviously liking an idea, the other not... As they heard Liz's comment though, they shook their head. "Honestly, it's not a problem...in fact, we were just saying we do have some stuff you could keep if you wanted..." Maria looked over at Max awkwardly, wondering if he would pick up on the suggestion they were making...

Although he had been studying Emily's jacket carefully, he wasn't oblivious to what was being said. He knew that Maria was referring to his late wife's clothes - which should at least fit her of course. Given their flight from the last place, he hadn't got round to disposing of them yet, and although it might be a bit morbid, maybe that was a good thing...

Liz looked a little uncertain. "I d-don't understand..."

Concentrating a moment, Max didn't answer as he placed his hand on the jacket in his hand, turning the colour from a light blue to a navy, and the material from a cotton to a type of wool. The result was something of a duffle coat - nothing fancy, but practical at least. "How's this...you want to try it on Emily?" He asked, beckoning the little girl over hesitantly given that he didn't want Liz to feel he was overstepping the boundaries.

Realising what he had done, Liz smiled and nodded to show it was okay. The young mother bobbed down next to her daughter and smiled. “Go ahead sweetie…” She watched her little girl go over, allowing Max to help her put it on and smiled again. "Looks good..."

Max nodded, looking up. "The suggestion for you...you might not like it, and I know it might be a bit morbid...but w-e still have Liz's clothes - our Liz..." He explained in a stilted fashion.

Taking in what he was saying, Liz nodded. "Oh...right...I..." She looked uncertain.

Maria stepped forward. "You could simply think of them as a base - you know, the actual clothing...the details I'm sure Isabel or Max could change to your liking so they were yours..." She shrugged. "I-it was just an idea, but from the little you have with you, I'm guessing you don't have tons of money to throw around - much the same as us - and this would be a way to use something we already have..."

Listening carefully to the explanation, the younger girl nodded. She couldn’t deny they were right about money… "O-okay...if you're sure you don't mind..." She looked up at Max, needing to reaffirm this.

He smiled and nodded, surprised in truth how comfortable he actually was with the suggestion... Then again, as Maria pointed out, it did make sense... "Perfectly sure..." He assured the young woman quickly.

Isabel watched as Liz nodded again and then she smiled, reaching into the closet and pulling out a short, dark wool coat along with a thick red jumper. "How about you try these on, and I can make a few quick alterations right now...?" She suggested softly.

For the next five minutes or so, that was exactly what she did. The basic fit of the coat was good - as expected, but Isabel lengthened it, making it a three quarter, and changed the colour from black to brown, altering the neckline slightly as well so that basically you had a completely different coat, and for the jumper she simply changed the colour from red to green. Once done, she stood back and looked at Liz after she had changed into the ‘new’ clothes. "Okay, spin around..." She motioned to her.

Liz rolled her eyes, but did as she was told. "Well, do I pass...?" She asked laughing a little.

Despite himself, Max couldn't help smiling. This wasn't his wife, and he knew he probably shouldn't, but he already felt so comfortable with her... He nodded. "Yes, you no longer look like you came to New Jersey in winter expecting a New Mexico summer..." He commented, trying to resist making the comment which seemed automatic. She was beautiful... The coat wasn't fancy, but it was fitted and certainly made the most of her trim figure. Her long brown hair shone as always, falling down over her shoulders, only held back from her face by two small clips either side, and those big brown eyes glistened like two stars.

The others laughed and everyone smiled. Max had taken care of creating a thick jumper from Emily's thinner cardigan for now, although of course more clothes for her would be a necessary purchase very shortly, and it seemed they were all ready. "Alright then...let's go!" Max motioned to the door and everyone began to head out. As usual Liz reached for the bag with Emily's stuff, but as he had the night before, Max got there first. "It's okay...I got it..." He told her softly, smiling.

Liz couldn't help but smile back and nod. In some ways this was so hard... After what had happened yesterday, seeing everyone here, and alive, it was amazing... Everything was tinged with sadness of course, but the fact that they were there... She shook her head mentally, unable to find the words. It was just amazing... "Thanks..." She responded softly, holding out her hand to Emily. "Come on sweets...lets get something to eat yeah...?"

The little girl grinned and ran over. "Me walk?"

She laughed and nodded. "Alright, but you have to be good..."

Receiving a nod from Emily, the two of them headed out of the room, closely followed by Max. Isabel hung back for a moment, watching her brother, a smile of satisfaction settling over her face. His gaze had been fixed on Liz almost the whole time they were making alterations to the coat, and now as they headed out, she could see his focus was on the brunette child and her mother. She had been delighted to see him so apparently full of energy and it was wonderful to see him smiling again.

Chapter 12

Heading out of the hotel they were staying in, the group walked a little way down the street, crossing over and then continued down one of the small side-streets. A short while later, they found themselves outside the diner at which Max and the others usually went to for breakfast.

"It's not much, but the food's decent and the prices are pretty cheap..." Max commented as he saw Liz looking over the frontage.

She looked over at him and nodded, conscious of the fact that he obviously thought she was looking at it critically... In fact, she was doing anything but, instead actually thinking that it sort of reminded her of the Crashdown...without the tacky theme... "I'm sure it's fine..."

Kyle shrugged. "Well it does us anyway..."

Maria pushed open the door and headed inside, followed by the rest of the group. Immediately they stepped inside, the guy who had been stood behind the counter came over. Although the group had only been in the city about a week, they were already regulars, and the girls were something of favorites with him. "Isabel...don't you look wonderful..." He grinned and called out as he approached. Upon noticing Liz, who he had not seen before, he smiled again at Isabel. "Are you going to introduce me to this third beautiful young lady...?"

She laughed and nodded. "Sure... Martin, this is Liz...a friend..."

He smiled and held out his hand. "Always pleased to meet such a beautiful lady..."

Liz blushed awkwardly but returned the smile, about to thank him for the compliment when she felt a tug on her leg. She looked down.

"Mommy...I'm hungry..." Emily looked up again.

She laughed and shook her head, lifting the little girl up and sitting her on her hip.

Max smiled in amusement and motioned to a table. "How about we all sit down and order something to eat then...since Emily is so hungry..."

Martin looked over at him, noting the fact that Max was carrying the bag for the little girl, but also the lack of a matching ring to his on the young lady's finger. "Oh Max, have you been a naughty boy then...what would your wife think if she saw how like you this little girl looks...?" He commented in a purely teasing manner.

Although not intended, the effect on Max was immediate as the smile dropped from his face, a glazed look passing over his eyes. He dropped the bag he was carrying at the side of the closest table and looked over at Martin sharply. "She's not mine!" He responded in a tight voice. For a moment there, he had allowed himself to pretend that she was...that this was 'his' Liz... But it wasn't...this Liz wasn't the same girl had grown up with...she wasn't his wife...

Isabel bit her lip as she saw the change in her brother. A moment before he was happy and laughing. He had been talking to Liz, and the two of them seemed to be getting on well. Now though, he refused to meet her eyes as he sat down.

Liz swallowed as she heard his response. She blinked in surprise as tears sprang to her eyes, but she pushed them back, telling herself there was no reason for them. Max was simply telling the truth... Emily wasn't his...she wasn't his responsibility...she was hers... She began to feel guilty herself for thinking in any other way... Her boyfriend had meant so much to her...how could she even think for a second of moving on so soon...? Turning her attention to dealing with the little girl in her arms, she excused herself from the group a moment to go and ask about a high chair.

"Max, did you really need to react like that?" Maria asked scoldingly. She had seen the look on Liz's face after his response...

Max looked over at her. "What, I just told the truth!" He replied sharply and then refused to say anything more.

When Liz returned a moment later, followed by Martin carrying a high-chair, she busied herself sitting her daughter in it carefully, avoiding looking over at Max for the moment.

Isabel looked over at her. "Do you need some help Liz...?" She offered softly.

The other girl shook her head. "I'm fine thanks...two years of this makes you something of an expert..." She commented with a weak smile.

The other two girls nodded, not really knowing what to say to that. It was difficult, knowing that she looked so like their friend, and yet that her past was so different... It seemed natural to offer help given it seemed unusual to see her with a child... And yet, this Liz had been a mother for two years...she seemed comfortable with the role, and was obviously coping just fine...

The group ordered some food, and then settled down to wait. Isabel, Maria and Kyle set to trying to involve Liz in some conversation but neither she nor Max seemed interested...

Liz simply sat watching her daughter... She remembered so many other times like this... Sitting in the Crashdown, with Max... Talking... After getting pregnant proper dates became something of a rarity - mainly for monetary reasons - but they spent a lot of time just talking...in the Crashdown, in the Jeep...in her room even... The practice continued after Emily was born because it was 'easy'... It was such a simple thing, but yet it held so many happy memories...

Of course that was over now, she reminded herself... She had to remember that this Max was someone completely different... However hard it might be, she was going to have to make Emily understand that this wasn't her father...she couldn't have her bothering him like that...

"She's a cute kid..."

Liz looked up, surprised given that she had not heard Martin approach. She offered a small smile of thanks. "Yeah..."

"Looks a lot like her parents I think..." He commented softly, his eyes drifting over to Max for a moment too as he set a plate down in front of her.

Liz shook her head awkwardly. "O-oh no...you've got it wrong...she's not his..."

Martin shrugged and nodded. "Whatever you say..." He smiled at her again. "It was nice to meet you Liz...hope you enjoy your breakfast..." With that, he headed back to the counter, already having delivered the food for the rest of the table before hers...

She was beautiful...she was sweet, and lovely...but she wasn't his... Max watched Liz from a distance for a moment as he came back from the rest room... He couldn't help it... There was just something about her... He knew it was wrong...and yet seeing her like that... He shook his head, his gaze never faltering as he watched her as she lifted Emily out of the high chair and onto her lap. She he saw her lips move, although he was too far away to hear her voice, as she spoke softly to the little girl, giving her a kiss and then holding her safely on her lap as she leant over to pull something out of the bag.

As she offered the object to the little girl, Max recognised it as being the doll she had been playing with earlier... DeDe... He smiled. Everything about the scene seemed so normal...so basic... A perfect scene of family life... A father watching the mother of his child... Except he wasn't Emily's father... Liz wasn't his wife, and Emily wasn't his child...

Part of him felt as though he already knew Liz, and then another knew she was really just a stranger... Even from the little she had told so far, he knew her life had been completely different to his own... She had been pregnant with ‘his’ child at fourteen... He hadn't managed to work up the courage to speak to her at that point... Yet in her reality, she had known him...she had loved him... They had shared an unbelievable experience... What had life been like for them...?

"She's good looking..."

He looked round, surprised by Martin as he spoke. He didn't like the way he was looking at her... He knew it shouldn't, but it bothered him... "Yeah..." He responded stiffly, biting back the urge to tell him where to go. It wasn't his place...

"Maybe I'll ask her out sometime...assuming I wouldn't be treading in your toes of course...?" Martin looked at Max questioningly.

He shook his head awkwardly. "N-no...of course not..." He replied, his tone sounding something like he was trying to convince himself as much as he was the other guy... The idea of Liz with someone else...even though he knew she wasn't 'his'...it just cut into him... As much as he tried to tell himself it didn't matter, that it wasn't his concern, he just couldnt ignore it...

Martin shrugged. "Okay, well I might just try that then..." He stood watching the table of young people for a moment, apparently oblivious to the dagger-like looks Max was shooting him, before heading over as a new group walked into the diner and he went to seat them.

Max took in another breath, telling himself again that it didn't matter, before continuing on back to the table to rejoin his friends.

Shaking her head mentally as she watched her brother, Isabel sighed. That morning Max seemed to have come so far...and yet now...now he was back to square one... He was hardly speaking, and even when he did, he refused to even acknowledge Liz was there it seemed...

It wasn't that she didn't realise it must be hard for him...it was strange to all of them seeing Liz walking around after seeing her body... For Max, to see the image of his wife walking around, and yet know it wasn't her...it must be heartbreaking... But she knew it was little better for Liz...

And yet despite all this, the two of them had been getting on so well... They had been smiling, talking... Both looked happy...really happy...

But now...? Now her brother looked as though he wanted to lock himself back up in his room, away from everyone, and Liz didn't look much better... She was certain that they both had a lot to work through...it was understandable... Better would be to work through it all with someone though, maybe even each other, together... No one said they had to be lovers, but they had a lot in common, and if anyone could understand what the other was going through, it was Max and Liz. A friendship between the two could be a huge step towards each of them moving on…

Unfortunately, it seemed, both Liz and Max were determined for the moment to do this alone...

"Isabel...?"

She looked up in surprise at the sound of her voice. Isabel swallowed. "W-what...?" She asked almost hesitantly.

Maria laughed and shook her head. "I don't know about Max not paying attention...but you're doing a pretty good impression of zoning yourself..." She commented in an amused tone.

She gave a wry smile, her eyes now fixed on the figure of the young brunette. "Sorry...I guess I have other things on my mind..."

She nodded slowly. "I think we all do..."

"Yeah..." Isabel nodded back in agreement, sighing and forcing herself to quit her contemplations, at least for the moment. "I-I'll be right back..." She stood up and exited quickly, hurrying away from her friends still sat at the table before anyone could ask if she was okay...
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
When Love and Loss Collide
When Friendship and Love Combine - New!
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
I Knew Him Before (PB fic)
Love Always...
The First Time Around - New!
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Ellie, behrlyliz, behrstars, Timelord31, Eve, rigel, thanks for reading the story guys. I'm so glad you're still enjoying the story and all your feedback is much appreciated.

Ellie -
I feel so bad for both Max and Liz. I totally get where they are coming from, it would be so easy to fall back on treating the other the way they would their deceased partner. But it wouldn't be right. This Liz and Max are different, they've had different experiences and are not interchangeable. The same way you cannot replace Max with Zan or vice versa. I imagine the impulse is really hard to fight though, thus the short tempers and hurt feelings.
That's exactly what I was trying to explain and just hoping that I'm showing it reasonably well. I'm afraid I should probably warn everyone now, as I said right at the beginning, this isn't going to be simple, and it's going to take time.
Is it just me or is there something up with Martin? Why the interest in Liz? I'm not saying she isn't a pretty girl, but she clearly has a daughter and he's picking up signals between her and Max or he wouldn't have asked Max about it. It just seems weird, that's all.
As for Martin, in all honestly I never even thought about it really. For the moment, at least, he's just a guy who likes pretty girls, and who maybe was trying to goad Max a little - boys will be boys... As you said, he picked up on something between them, and maybe wanted to see if he could get a rise from him.

behyrlyliz - I'm glad that you're enjoying the story, thanks for the feedback. I'm pleased you agree with Isabel, but somehow I imagine Liz and Max might be more difficult to convince :wink:

Well, am I back soon enough this time? Anyway, it seems you all read something into the last scene that I hadn't seen myself. It's an interesting thought, I'll have to consder it.

As for this new chapter, I know that it's probably not what you were hoping for, but please don't hate me too much at the end of this chapter. I did warn you that this wasn't going to be an easy ride... Trust me though, anyone who knows me will be aware I'm a dreamer at heart hehe.

Okay, so here's the new chapter, hope you enjoy it, and I'd love to hearwhat you think (although I might be a big scared to... :? (j/k)) Thanks to anyone that's reading this story, I just hope that you're all enjoying it.

~Kat~

Chapter 13

Note: anything in italics is a flashback

Chapter 13

Liz sat playing with her daughter on the floor. She tried not to think about the fact that Max had refused to come back to the hotel, saying that he needed some air...

"Mommy..."

She looked down, realising that she had spaced and turning her attention back to Emily. "I'm sorry honey..."

The little girl pouted, fully aware that she had lost her attention for a moment and pushed the picture she was colouring in front of her mother. "Sky blue..." She instructed.

Liz raised her eyebrows and looked at the little girl. "Blue sky what...?" She asked in an even tone, waiting for an answer. Manners were something that she and Max had insisted on form the moment the little girl had become able to understand. For most kids that probably wouldn't be yet, but Emily was somewhat more advanced than was usual for someone her age...

"Sky blue..." Emily repeated and then seemed to think a moment before adding 'please'.

Liz laughed softly and nodded. "That's right clever girl..." She ruffled her daughter's hair and then reached out with her hand to touch the picture with her finger. She concentrated and watched, with some amusement, the little girl's delight as she saw the colour fill the page. It wasn't exactly the normal way to colour, but then again Emily wasn't normal...and neither was she anymore... This was a fun way to help Emily to learn to control her powers...a simple exercise in manipulation which the little girl seemed to enjoy. She looked back her daughter and smiled. "Alright, how about a yellow sun...?" She suggested softly, smiling softly as the little girl followed her example and coloured the picture.

Isabel and Maria sat watching the young mother and daughter from the bed on which they were sat cross-legged, talking. Kyle had excused himself to go and try to find Michael soon after they returned to the room minus Max.

"How long do you think that Max is going to be...?" Maria asked softly, reaching up and releasing her long hair from the band she had tied it up with. She shook her hair out and ran her fingers through, smoothing it carefully as she looked back at Isabel, waiting for an answer. It was already an hour since they got back and still there was no sign of any of the guys...

The red-head shook her head and sighed. "Honestly Maria...I don't know..." She uncrossed her legs and dropped down onto her front, looking up at her friend. "I mean it's a lot to take in...you know that he's been struggling with what happened anyway..." She knew it was difficult for her brother, but she just wished that Martin would have refrained from making that comment... Up until then, things had been going so well... It was a strange situation certainly, but she had seen a spark in Max's eyes last night that she hadn't seen since they lost Liz... She didn't know where it would go, if anywhere, but she knew that the girl could be good for her brother, if only he would let her in...

"I guess..." Maria sighed and nodded. She looked over at Liz again, noting that the other girl had hardly said anything since their return. Max's 'rejection' of a sort had hit her hard it seemed...

Almost as though she could sense that they were watching her, Liz turned round slightly. She looked back at them for a moment, refusing to shy from their gaze, before murmuring something in her daughter's ear and picking herself up off the floor. She walked over and sat down opposite the two young women on the middle of the three beds. "So..."

A short while later, the three girls had finally broken their silence and were talking... It had started with Maria making some comment about Emily being beautiful, but it had been enough to ease the tension in the room. Isabel had seen Liz look over at the picture of her brother on his wedding day, sensing something of what she was feeling and telling her that it was nothing personal...

Liz was silent. She didn't really know what to say... She knew that it wasn't personal really...how could it be...he didn't even know her really did he? She chewed her lip and took a breath, playing with her fingers a moment before looking back up at the other two girls. "W-what happened...?" She asked again in almost a whisper, her gaze still fixed on the picture which embodied her dreams. "H-how did she die...?"

Maria looked up, surprised by the question. She couldn't answer though...every time she tried to form the words, they stuck in her throat and she felt as though she was going to choke. Liz had been her best friend...she had always thought she was going to be there...the two of them had promised... She looked down into her lap again, struggling with the sight of a figure so familiar as the one that sat in front of her.

Isabel read her expression and reached for Maria's hand, attempting to offer what comfort she could. She looked up at Liz and nodded, realising that the girl had waited long enough... "W-we're on the run...from the FBI..." She began in a soft voice. "L-liz...she..." She trailed off a moment, biting her lip as she remembered that day.

"They caught up with us..." Maria stated in almost a whisper without looking up. She couldn't bring herself to look at the younger girl at the moment. "L-Liz and I were working...s-she insisted on me getting out first..." She fell silent drawing in a ragged breath as what had happened ran over in her mind. She should have refused, insisted that Liz should be first...she should have been able to help...to save her...

“LIZ, NO!” She screamed as she heard the shots.

Michael grabbed her arm, pulling her towards the van. “Maria, come on, we have to go NOW!”

She felt as though she was choking. They couldn’t just leave Liz…

“MARIA, COME ON, THERE’S NOTHING MORE WE CAN DO, NOT NOW, COME ON!” He opened the door and practically pushed her inside, climbing in after her and closing the door even as they moved off just as the agents emerged from the back entrance.

Squeezing her friend's hand, Isabel could see the expression on her face that she had seen so many times from Max over the last month. "It wasn't your fault Ria..." She told her softly, looking up at Liz again now. "W-we didn't know they were so close...they surprised us..."

Listening in silence, Liz finally nodded as Isabel finished. "Y-your Liz wasn't able to get out...?" She asked although in truth she knew the answer.

Isabel shook her head. "No... W-we tried to get her out, but it was already too late..." She shook her head desperately. "They must have shot on sight..."

A strange silence fell over the whole room at this point, even Emily falling quiet. Maria and Isabel were lost in thoughts, while Liz was just at a loss as to what to say.

Finally though, Isabel did break the silence. "I-I'm sorry about Max back at the diner...i-it's just it's hard...you know...?" She shook her head and swallowed, wishing that she didn't feel like such an idiot as she tried to explain. "Max blames himself for what happened...he's convinced that if he had done differently, Liz - our Liz that is - would still be here..."

Liz nodded silently. "I know..." She murmured softly. "I-I'm sorry...I should probably go..." She looked over at Emily again. When it came to it, what Max had said earlier was right... he wasn't her father, and these weren't her friends... They had just lost an important member of their group, it wasn't fair that she keep reminding them of that by her mere presence... Emily was her daughter, her responsibility... She hadn't expected to find the others, and maybe that was the way it should be... She would find a way to cope...alone... "Emily...sweetheart...we need to pack up your stuff..."

"NO!" Maria's head shot up at this and she grabbed at her arm. "Liz...no...y-you don't have to go..." She looked at the girl. "Please...stay..."

She shook her head. "But me being here makes it harder...Max was right, Emily doesn't have anything to do with him...she doesn't have anything to do with any of you...neither of us do..."

"That's where you're wrong!" Isabel insisted. "Liz, just because we didn't grow up with you, doesn't mean you have nothing to do with us... We care about you..."

"I'm not your Liz though..." The younger girl told her in almost a whisper. “I never will be… I can’t pretend to be someone I’m not, I can’t change who I am…” She shook her head.

Isabel nodded. "I know that..." She offered her a weak smile and looked over at Emily for a moment before turning back to the young mother. "But you belong with us okay...?"

Emily had stood up and toddled over to her mother by this point, stopping in front of the bed and looking up. "Up...?" She pointed to her lap.

Liz fought back the tears which sprung to her eyes, telling herself not to be so silly. "I can manage...I'll be okay honest... Y-ou don't have to feel responsible for me..." She protested, reaching down and lifting up her daughter without really looking down at her. She sat Emily on her lap and looked back at Isabel, getting ready to stand. "I should go...then I'm not here when Max comes back..."

As she mentioned her brother, Liz's insistence suddenly fell into place. This wasn't about Kyle, Maria, Michael or herself really...this was all about her brother... "Liz please...Max doesn't want you to go..."

The brunette shook her head again and ran a hand through her hair. "It's not fair on him Isabel...it's not fair on any of you..."

"We want you here!" Maria insisted. Nothing had been said officially, but she knew that Isabel was right... Whatever her past, this was a version of Liz, their friend... They couldn't leave her to cope alone...

"Honestly Liz...stay..."

A couple of hours later, Maria and Isabel were both asleep, taking a nap before work that evening. Max and the other guys still hadn't returned, and Liz was sat in silence, watching Emily as she slept peacefully on the third bed... Turning her attention away from the little girl for a moment, she found her gaze drifting to the picture at the side of one of the beds again though... A picture which spoke of a dream she had shared with her Max... Married... This Max had lost his wife, and here she was walking around looking like her...

That picture seemed to drive home just how wrong all of this was… This Max had been happy, with his wife, just as she had been happy with her boyfriend… That wasn’t a picture of the two of them though…despite appearances, that wasn’t really her looking back out of those striking brown eyes, but another girl, who was now gone…

She shook her head, realising they just couldn't do this. As much as Isabel and Maria tried to tell her she was wrong, she knew that it wasn't fair on Max... He needed to be able to make a fresh start, and dealing with a child that wasn't even his certainly wasn't going to do that... As much as she might try to explain, she knew the little girl would look to him just as she had her father. However more advanced she was than a normal child, this was still too much to explain to her. She couldn’t expect a two year old child to understand… it was this that finally made her decision.

Moving silently round the room, she gathered her things, hesitating a moment about taking the coat which had been provided but realising she didn’t really have much choice... She didn't know how long they would be out in the cold, and her own clothes just weren't warm enough...

When she was ready, she went back over to where her daughter was still sleeping, lifting her up carefully so as not to wake her. The little girl was sleeping fast though, and her mother should not have worried... She barely even stirred as she eased her arms through the sleeves of her jacket as she had done on many other occasions. Her daughter still sleeping, Liz lifted her carefully, settling her on her hip and grabbing the bag. Satisfied that she had everything, she set the short note she had written down on the bedside table next to the photo and then headed out of the room, closing the door carefully behind her and continuing down the stairs, out of the building and down the road.

Stopping to wait for the lights as she reached the end, she looked down at her daughter who still slept in her arms for a moment. She didn't know what she was going to do, but she'd work it out...she had to find a way...

The lights changed, and after looking back for just a moment, Liz continued across the street and away from the hotel. She couldn't continue to live in the past... A fresh start...that was what she needed...
Last edited by KatnotKath on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Ellie, behrlyliz, Timelord31, LoveIsForever, Eve, foxychar, Isabelle, Lazza, kittens, L-J-L 76, Flamehair, rigel, thanks so much for reading the story and replying. Every bit of feedback really helps and means a lot, and I'm just delighted to know people are enjoying my story.

Ellie - I'm not going to promise an easy ride, but I do promise a happy ending eventually. I think both liz and Max have a lot of stuff to work through first though, and maybe this separation is as much for her as it is for Max and the others, seeing them can't be easy for her either considering.

LoveIsForever - I'm glad you found it again too, glad you're still enjoying and welcome back to the story.
I understand Liz not wanting to stay because it's got to be just as hard on her as Max because she lost her love too
I agree completely, that's exactly the way I'm thinking.

Eve -
Maybe that was the right decision to do!.....
Okay, and now I'm surprised to hear anyone say that. As you say though, they have to know their priorities, and for Liz there's no competition, her daughter has to come first.

Isabelle - short but sweet, but I get the point lol

Lazza - welcome to the story, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm glad it's different, I always try and make my fics original.
Liz becoming a motherat 15, wow, never would have thought she was that young. Although the fact that she and Max were so happy about it was great.
There were circumstances, which will be explained in time, for that... It will take a while though, so I'm afraid you'll have to be patient to find out.

kittens -
What was so different about Liz's timeline that they were friends from the begining???
One major thing? I don't know if there was... I know it's a cop out, but just circumstances were different - I promise to show more of that if I do write the prequel though.

L-J-L 76 - well here I am with more, glad you like the story so far

Flamehair - welcome to the story, and thanks very much for the compliment, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

rigel - you're right of course, the FBI is after them still, but of course they do believe Liz Parker to be dead...

Well, I didn't quite manage to be back in a week, but I'm not a month either, so surely that's not bad. I know this next chapter might not be what you were hoping for, but I hope you'll enjoy it anyway. Hope anyone else reading is also enjoying, here's the next chapter and I just hope that you enjoy it.

Chapter 14

Walking along the road, Max shivered in the cold November wind, drawing his coat more closely round him. It wasn’t really warm enough to just be going for a walk, but he hadn’t had much choice… Max knew that Isabel hadn't been happy when he refused to go back to the hotel with them, but he just couldn’t... He understood exactly what she was thinking, but he just couldn't deal with it all right then. Liz, Emily...it was all just too much. His WIFE had DIED... He had been mourning for her for a little over a month, and then suddenly this 'image' of her appeared. This Liz might have been a lot younger, and her background might have been completely different, but his heart knew this was Liz... His brain told him it wasn't the same person, but he 'felt' as though she was...

And that was the problem... He couldn't believe he was really having even the slightest of these feelings... He couldn't betray 'Liz' like that... He couldn't think this way... His wife was dead...no one could replace her... She had won his heart and soul, and those would never be free again he was sure...

That wasn't this girl who had appeared though... She had been with her own Max, had a child to prove it, and she wasn't his wife...

She might be a perfectly nice person, but it didn't matter... His heart already belonged to another, and he wouldn't push that aside as though the young woman they had lost in Bridgeport had meant nothing to him... She was his love, his soul mate... She had given up her family, her home...all to be with him... In the end she had paid the ultimate price for that, and he wouldn't forget her...

As his mind went over and over, churning these thoughts around as he continued to think, he sighed and shook his head. He had been walking round and round in circles for what seemed like hours... He didn't like to go too far from the hotel in case the girls needed him, but somehow he couldn't make himself go back at the moment either.

Suddenly finding himself in front of the gates to the park, he headed inside and then continued walking, making his way along the path. A short way in, he saw a bench, and sank down thankfully, needing to take the weight of his feet. Yesterday had been a long day, and it seemed that today would be no shorter...

Closing his eyes, he looked down at his hand, his gaze fixed on the gold band he still insisted on wearing on his left hand. Michael had suggested taking it off more than once already, and gained a bust lip - for a few moments before Max had apologised and healed it - for his trouble. He had talked about moving on, although everyone knew that would be alone since they could never let anyone else into their group, but he just wasn't interested... Sometimes, a lot of the time in fact, he wished it had been him that the FBI had killed...because life without Liz, just didn't seem to be worth living...

He had loved her so much... He had admired her from afar for so long, and then that day in the Crashdown had changed everything... She had gone from being a dream, to a reality... So much more had changed too though...he had changed her... He had made her like him and given her powers... Some days he did wonder if she would have been better had he left her there that day... Maybe the Paramedics would have arrived in time...maybe she would have been fine, and then she wouldn't have had to deal with all the crazy stuff the next four years had brought...

She wouldn't have had to flee for her life, leaving her parents, and her home behind her. She might have still been with Kyle and she'd probably be at Harvard right now, studying microbiology as she always wanted and on her way to the career she had dreamed of... He took all that away from her... He couldn't bear the thought of not having experienced what it was like to 'be' with her, but maybe that was selfish... He had drawn her into something so complicated, so crazy...he had taken away her dreams, and in the end, she had lost her life…

Shaking his head, he dropped his head into his hands, closing his eyes and willing everything to have been a dream... Graduation, Bridgeport...if only it were that simple... If only it had been a nightmare, a warning of sorts perhaps...if only it hadn't been real...

It was though... Each of them had lived through so much, but finally they had caught up, and suddenly he was on his own... There had been no warning, Liz had received no vision that he knew of this time…it had just happened, and then it was over…

"Mommy can we go on the swings...?"

A little girl's voice broke into his thoughts and he looked up. A youngish mother, in her early twenties, was walking along the path with a little girl of about four. Their hair was dark, and immediately it made him think of Liz and Emily...

What had she been through...? How different had her life been...? He couldn't even guess what it would have been like for her, or her Max... To have a baby at fifteen, to become parents so young... Even after what had happened with Xan, it wasn't something he could even begin to imagine...

They had been together... What could have caused them to take that step so early...? The orbs...? He shook his head, knowing that he didn't even know if the orbs had existed in her reality... The only real way of getting answers to his questions would be to ask, but he was hesitant to do so, realising that she too was feeling a great loss...it wouldn’t be fair…

He had lost his wife, while she had lost her boyfriend and father of her child...

"Not now honey...we need to get back home, your father is expecting us..." The young woman shook her head, urging her daughter along and continuing along the path.

Father...mother...a family...

A baby... The last part of his dream, the part that was never going to come true... A family with Liz...

A family that the girl back at the hotel had experienced...and then lost it too...

As much as he tried not to, he found that he cared about her...

Maybe that wasn't so wrong though...? He began to wonder to himself... Caring about someone and loving them could be a different thing... This Liz, he cared about, he empathised with her perhaps... They had both suffered a great loss... Maybe it wasn't betraying his wife to feel that way though... He hadn't forgotten her, he still loved her... It wasn't as though he was going to 'be' with this new Liz... He didn’t love her, just cared about her...as a friend perhaps...

Realisation dawning on him, he nodded to himself. The young girl back at the hotel needed all the friends she could get... She was 'alone', in a strange world, and to make it even harder, she had a little girl with her...

That was it...as a friend...

Mulling over these thoughts in his head, Max suddenly became aware that the light was fading fast...the temperature having dropped again and the wind having picked up. He shivered. How long had he been out here...what time was it...? He looked down at his watch. Nearly six... He had been out most of the afternoon, and he knew he should be getting back. He was due at work at eight, could do with getting something to eat before he went, and perhaps more importantly, he should probably apologise to Liz for the way he had acted earlier...

Standing up, he brushed off the back of his jeans, getting rid of any crud they might have picked up from the bench, and he headed for the gates, continuing onto the road and down the street back towards where he knew the hotel was found.

"Mommy...I'm cold..." Emily began to protest as she woke up in her mother's arms. She looked up and pouted.

Liz sighed. It was a little over two hours since she had left the hotel, and as yet, she had no idea what she was going to do. She had a small amount of money certainly, but it would soon be used up covering a night's board and something to eat... For a moment, she wondered if she had made a big mistake leaving, but she brushed these doubts away and shook her head. When it came down to it, she simply couldn't expect people who were basically strangers, to deal with her problems... They might look like her friends, but the simple fact was that they weren't... They weren't the people she had grown up with, who had stuck by her year in year out, and who had given her so much support especially over the last two years...

She was alone, and she had to get used to that... Max, her Max, was dead...he was gone and he wasn't coming back...

The man she had met last night was a stranger... He wasn't her boyfriend, he wasn't the father of her child... He might look like him, but he hadn't shared the experiences of the last two years with her... He hadn't sat beside her when she was in labour... The man she loved was gone...

Tears welling up in her eyes, she felt an unbelievable sense of despair as she thought about what she had lost. She felt as though her heart had been torn out, and as though she would never be happy again. She had stopped in the park for a little while, sitting down and crying silent tears while her daughter continued to sleep in her arms. She refused to let herself cry out though, however much she wanted to. She had to be strong...for Emily...she was all she had left...

Her daughter meant everything to her, and she would do anything she could to make sure she gave her the best life possible... It wouldn't be easy...but she would have to manage...

"Mommy..."

Emily didn't like that she didn't appear to have her attention and tried again. Her voice this time broke Liz completely out of her thoughts and she looked down, boosting the little girl up her hip and dipping her head to brush her lips against the top of her head. "What is it sweets...?" She asked softly of her daughter.

"I'm cold!" She repeated, clinging to her mother.

Liz nodded silently, suddenly realising that the temperature had indeed dropped further in the last hour as the sun went down and the sky darkened. She shivered herself. "Okay... let's go see if we can go sit in somewhere for a little shall we...mommy's arms could do with a little rest too..." She gave a wry smile. Given that Emily had been sleeping when she left, she hadn't had much choice about carrying her, but her arms were certainly feeling it now... The little girl wasn't really old enough to walk everywhere, but Liz made a mental note that one of her first buys when she managed to secure a job and income of some kind would be a pushchair. Certainly she couldn't deal with carrying Emily around all the time, she was slight built anyway, and the little girl was no longer a tiny baby...

"Cake?" Emily's eyes lit up as she considered her mother's words, the ‘magic’ word apparently making her forget all about being cold for the moment.

Liz couldn't help laughing at the way her words had been interpreted. She always struggled to say no when her daughter gave her those big doe eyes though, and when she thought about it she had to admit she wouldn't mind something to eat herself... Of course they would have to be careful about cost, but she was certain she should be able to find some kind of diner around here that wouldn't be too expensive. She nodded. "Alright, yes, we can see what we can do about some cake too..." She agreed.

"YAY!" She clapped her hands in delight before then pointing down at the floor. "Me walk...?"

Her mother shook her head. From experience she knew full well as soon as she put Emily down, the little girl would decide she was still tired and want to be picked back up... Given the way her arms were feeling at the moment, the idea of putting her down only to pick her back up was something that she really couldn't face. "No...we're looking for somewhere to go in so you can walk later..."

"Me want to walk now!" The little girl repeated her demand, emphasizing it this time by trying to push herself away from her mother's arms.

Liz raised her eyebrows but stuck her ground. "Emily I said no!" She looked at the little girl. "If you continue to be naughty you won't get any cake...understand...?"

"But mommy..."

"Emily..." The edge to Liz's voice warned her daughter not to push any further... She would stand so much, but after that she did indeed stay true to her word.

Although the little girl pouted, she fell silent and ceased her struggling.

"Good girl..." Liz smiled, relieved that she wasn't going to have to deal with a tantrum for now. Her daughter might appear angelic on the outside, but she and Max had known that appearances could be deceptive... While at times she was indeed perfectly behaved, more often than not, like most young children, she certainly was not...

It didn't take too long to find a suitable diner, and within a few minutes, Liz was setting her daughter down on the seat. Emily immediately slipped down, ducking under the table and running out and down the diner giggling. Liz closed her eyes and groaned. She so didn't need this... "EMILY DIANE PARKER, come back here NOW!" She called, hurrying down the diner towards her.

Her daughter took no notice, apparently having decided that playing like this was more fun than cake... Unfortunately, as she scooted sideways, her foot slid on a patch of floor that had apparently just been mopped, and down she went. She ended up on her bottom, crying loudly, and her mother was by her side in a second.

One of the waitresses who was passing looked over sympathetically. "Babysitting for little sis can be hard huh...?"

Liz pursed her lips. She knew full well why people always assumed Emily was her sister...her likeness to her could certainly be explained by that, but even so, she wished they didn't... Still, for the moment she really didn't have time to respond, her attention fully focused on her daughter as she picked her up, kissing her hands better and giving her a hug. "It's okay sweetheart...mommy's here...it's okay..." She carried her quickly back over to the booth where they had sat down originally and set her down on her knee, rocking her gently and whispering softly to her daughter.

She was still in this position a few minutes later - although Emily did look a lot happier and had stopped crying - when one of the waitresses approached. She looked a little hesitant about interrupting.

Suddenly becoming aware of another presence, Liz turned her head slightly without ceasing her rocking motions. Upon seeing it was one of the staff, she shifted somewhat awkwardly. "I-I'm sorry about this..." She apologised. She knew she should have been able to control Emily better, but in truth it hadn't even entered her head that she might try that... Perhaps she had been lulled into a false sense of security, and should have known better but she had been so quiet since arriving that she had come to the conclusion that the little girl was probably a little nervous of her new surroundings...

The slightly older woman shook her head. "It's okay honey...nothing to worry about..." She gave a small smile as she watched the young girl a moment. "Is she okay now...?"

Liz nodded, looking a little surprised. "I think so...t-thanks for asking..." She hadn't been expecting that... A complaint about keeping her under control, or even a comment about her age, but to be told it wasn’t a problem…

She smiled and nodded. "Good...that's what's important..." She turned her attention back to slightly more routine things. "Can I get you anything to drink, or anything to eat...?"

Liz returned the small smile and nodded. "Yeah...actually that would be great... I'll have a soda, and could I get some juice in here for her please...?" She rummaged around in the bag for a moment before pulling out a cup with a mouth-piece.

"I'm sure that can be arranged...is orange okay honey...?" She took the cup from Liz, then bobbed down so that she was level with Emily and looked at the little girl. She smiled brightly, clapping her hands, apparently completely over her little accident now. The waitress laughed and nodded. "I'll take that as a yes... Do you want anything else...?"

Picking up the menu, Liz looked through it quickly. "Yeah...I'll have a piece of the apple pie please...?" She decided, picking one of the cheapest deserts that she knew Emily would eat. Although she had been intending to withhold this treat after her little escapade, given that she had ended up falling she couldn't help wanting to give in.

"Alright...coming right up..."

Liz smiled and nodded, turning her attention back to her daughter as she huddled closer into her arms. She swallowed and sighed. "It'll be okay sweetheart...I promise... Mommy's going to find a way to make this work..." She told her daughter, pulling her further onto her lap and pushing back some strands of hair before dipping her head to kiss her again, lapsing into silence and then waiting like that for their order to arrive…
Last edited by KatnotKath on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Lazza, Timelord31, Eve, Ellie, Flamehair, behrlyliz, LoveIsForever, thanks for the feedback everyone, glad to see you're enjoying the story

Lazza - you were saying about updates? :wink:. it's not huge I know, but not tiny either... Hope your writing is going well too

Timelord31 -
I hope max gets something to eat at the dinner Liz went to.
Um...not exactly...sorry I'm afraid life's just not that simple...

Eve - Thanks, I like that comparison. Glad you're enjoying the story.

Ellie - I'm glad you approve. Things can sound so simple in theory of course, but in reality they're rarely so...

Flamehair - yes, Max did some thinking, he'll be doing plenty more before the end of the story too I'm sure

Sorry to have kept you waiting so long for this, as Lazza knows, I'm doing NaNo at the moment, my project actually being a prequel to this, and it's been taking up a lot of time. In December I'm hoping to be back to weekly or fortnightly updates, but this month with NaNo, and uni stuff, I just haven't had the chance to update and write as I would like.

Anyway, hope you all like the new chapter

Kat

Chapter 15

"Michael...Kyle...?" Max pushed open the door and looked around the room. It didn't look like either of the other two guys had been back since they first went out... He hoped that Kyle had been able to find Michael... The last thing they needed was for him to be running about in the current mood he had been in when he left.

His powers were under far more control than they had been even a year ago but could still be something of a loose cannon at times. The whole group had taken time to try and work on their powers after leaving Roswell of course, knowing that there were people after them. Even though they wanted to just lay low, to fit in, their number one priority always had to be staying safe, and making sure they could protect themselves was a big part of that... On the evenings while they were travelling in the van, they used to pull up at some point, in some quiet, secluded spot, and then all get out and do some work.

Kyle had of course expected to develop powers of his own, but as yet they had yet to make an appearance. When they thought about it, that made sense...Liz's powers had taken the best part of two years, if not more, before they had really made an appearance, and Kyle had been over six months after her... Maybe they would be developing soon, or maybe not... There was the other theory that it wasn't so much Max healing Liz, but the connection he made between the two of them to show her some of himself, which had changed her and caused her powers. Either way though, whether it was a permanent state or not, for the moment Kyle was completely human, just as Maria was...

This didn't mean they didn't have to learn to try and protect themselves though... Simple tricks, techniques, it was drilled into them both that they should stick by Max if ever they ended up in a fight...

Liz on the other hand, had come on in leaps and bounds. Her manipulation had been practically equal to that of Isabel or Max, and her blasting was definitely something to see... The projection she had still been working on though, and in the end, it was this that had let her down...with tragic consequences...

"LIZ, NO!!!!"

Once more, Max realised, his thoughts had come round, focusing again on the things he had been trying to work past. It was amazing how the mind worked...starting off thinking about Michael...and ending up... Ending up thinking of his late wife... He swallowed and dragged his hand down over his face.

Closing his eyes a moment, he forced himself to open them again to look around. No Michael, no Kyle... He checked the clock. It was possible the two of them would go straight to work from wherever they were now... It was getting late, and perhaps that was best, keeping Michael away from Liz until tomorrow, when hopefully he might have cooled down...

Deciding to check on the girls, he headed over to the adjoining door and pushed it open slightly. The room was surprisingly dim and rather quiet. This was explained quickly as he noticed the drawn blind and sleeping form of his sister on the first bed.

He smiled, but although his intention was to let them sleep, he still found himself moving further into the room. Maria lying on the next view came into view, and then...the third bed - empty!

Max frowned and moved a little closer, moving then over to the bathroom in case Liz was in there. The door was closed, but he didn't hear any noise coming from inside. "Liz...?" He called softly, knocking gently on the frame.

No answer... He tried again, a little harder this time. "Liz...is something wrong...?"

As the silence, apart from his own voice, remained unbroken, he took a breath and pushed the door. It swung open to reveal...nothing... The bathroom was empty too...

He shook his head. Why would Liz go out on her own...? Had something happened...? He looked round, his eyes scanning the room although he wasn't really sure what he was looking for... A sign...? Something that might give him a clue what had happened...?

That was when he saw it...a note, next to his photograph... He moved quickly between the beds, reaching to pick it up, feeling a strange lump in his throat as he did so...

"Max...?"

He looked round, a little surprised by the voice. Apparently his movement had woken Isabel and his sister laid in bed on her side, her elbow propping her up slightly as she looked at him questioningly. "Hey Izzy..."

She reached up, rubbing her eyes and looking round. She groaned as she noticed the clock. "Wow it's later than I thought..." She commented, expecting a response from her bother. On receiving nothing, she frowned. "Max...are you okay...?"

He remained silent, reading the words contained in the note. She had gone...

Suddenly registering the note in his hand, and the effect it appeared to have had on him, Isabel reached for the paper herself, easing it from her brother's hands in order to read it. The light was still dim, but she could just about read it.

Guys...this isn't going to work. It's not fair on you, and it's not fair on me... You need time to grieve...you need to be able to move on, and I need to do the same. That's not going to happen if I stay with you... I'm here everyday reminding you of what you have lost, and I'm relying on you to deal with my problems... I can't do that... As hard as it sounds, I have to do this myself, I'm all that Emily has now, and that's the way it has to be... I have to find a way to deal, and I will... I have to start again...

Thank you for everything you've done, I'm sorry I had to drag up those memories for you

Liz

"Oh Max...I'm sorry..." She whispered softly as the meaning of the contents sank in for her. She and Maria had thought they had convinced Liz otherwise, but apparently they had been wrong... She bit her lip. If only they had stayed awake...if only they had realised, maybe they could have stopped her...

Max stiffened, pulling back as she reached out to touch his arm. "Why...? She did what she needed to..." He responded stiffly. "Obviously she wasn't comfortable with us, in which case it was the right thing for her to leave..."

His forced words didn't fool his sister though. Isabel knew that deep down, whether he wanted to admit it or not, Max needed this girl... Even in that little time that he had been around her, there was something, a spark, which had come alive inside him. When they had lost Liz, Max had closed up so much, he had locked his feelings up inside him, and no one seemed to be able to get through... He had been like Michael used to be, only worse if that was possible… Until yesterday... She had seen the old Max peeking through, and it had been so wonderful... She had seen her brother come alive again, and now…now, that spark was gone… "Max..." She reached out to him.

He shook his head, pulling back out of her reach. "No Isabel, don't! She chose to leave, and that was her right..." He looked at her, making it clear the discussion was closed as he moved onto some mundance things. "Do you want to see about waking Maria while I go grab us something to eat before work...?" Leaving her no chance to answer, with that, Max straightened up and walked out of the room without looking back.

Isabel sighed as she watched her brother go. Her gaze dropped once more to the paper in her hands as she re-read the message...

It wasn't just Max either though was it...? That poor girl had been through so much... She hadn't spoken much about it, but from what she had seen in her dreams, things had been far from easy, far from simple... She had dealt with so much, but there was she shouldn't have to do this alone...

Biting her lip, she folded up the paper carefully, setting it down on the bedside table before sliding down off the bed and crossing the short distance neccessary to reach the side of the bed on which Maria was sleeping. She reached out a hand and shook her arm. "Maria..."

"Huh...what...just another ten minutes mom..." The other girl pulled back and turned over.

Isabel laughed softly and shook her head. This wasn't unusual by any means...Maria liked her sleep... She tried again. "Maria...come on, it's nearly time for work..." She shook her a little harder this time.

Her second attempt had the desired result, Maria rolling over, her eyes opening just slightly. She took in Isabel's expression and flushed. "What did I do this time...?" She groaned, sitting up and running her fingers through her hair in an attempt to calm it. The things that she had said when Isabel or Liz had tried to wake her in the past were somewhat embarrassing to say the least. She dreaded to think what it might have been that time...

Noting the distressed look on her face, Isabel decided to spare her the usual teasing, for the moment at least. She shook her head. "Nothing much Maria...and I promise, no one else heard..."

Her friend nodded and covered her mouth with her hand as she tried to stiffle a yawn. "Oooooh...what time is it...?"

"Just past half six..." Isabel supplied, her gaze now drifting over to the empty third bed.

Maria could see that she was distracted. "Hey...are you okay...?" She asked softly. She turned her head, following Isabel's eyes. A frown replaced her smile as she noticed that Liz wasn't there. "Where's Liz and Emily...in the other room...?" She asked, certain that in truth she was just over-reacting and there would be a perfectly simple explanation. When she received no answer, her confusion and concern grew though. "Izzy...?"

Isabel shook her head silently, reaching for the note which had been left and handing it to her friend.

Reading over it slowly, Maria's eyes widened. "WHAT? She can't have gone! We have to find her!" She shot down from the bed, grabbing some clothes to change into and heading into the bathroom.

"NO!"

Both girls spun around at the sound of Max's voice.

Isabel grabbed Maria's robe and threw it over to her quickly. The other girl caught it and pulled it on, tying it round her waist and hugging herself a little self conciously. Max was her friend yes, but him seeing her in her nightdress wasn't exactly normal... Once she had got over the shock of him being there though, her attention returned to her earlier focus. "Of course we're going to go find her Max...she could be anywhere...we can't just leave her out there..." She insisted.

Max shook his head again. "No Maria...we're going to leave her to get on with her life... This is her choice...she doesn't want to stay with us, so she left..." He looked from one girl to the other. "End of story...okay...?"

Despite the fact that she had no intention of doing as he said, Isabel knew that arguing with her brother for the moment was going to do little, if any good. He obviously wasn't in the mood for discussion, that much was clear. She nodded slightly. "Okay Max..." She agreed softly. She didn't miss the look Maria shot her, but prayed that the other girl wasn't going to say anything out loud for the moment. She swallowed, knowing that the longer they stood there, the more likely it was something would be said. She needed to get rid of Max, at least for the moment... "Anyway, weren't you supposed to be getting us something to eat...?" She questioned, trying to change the subject and just hoping that no one would object. "Why don't you go do that, and then Maria and I can get dressed..."

As though registering for the first time the fact that the girls weren't exactly fully dressed, Max's ears went bright red from embarrassment. He pulled a face. "I'm sorry...I didn't think...just I wondered if there was anything in particular that you wanted..."

"Not really..." Isabel responded for the both of them quickly. Whatever Max got would be much of a much, being fast food of some sort, and right now she just wanted him out of there...

Luckily, her brother didn't seem to think there was anything strange and simply nodded. "Okay...well I'll be back in a bit then..." He headed out the door, leaving the two girls alone once more.

As soon as he was gone Maria turned to Isabel. "What was all that about?" She demanded. "You cannot honestly believe we should just leave Liz out there alone..."

Isabel raised her finger to her lips and shook her head. "No...I don't... I think you're right and we have to find her, but Max is struggling right now. I think he needs her, but he doesn't want to admit it and it's that which is causing him to be like this. We just need to be careful, and make sure we do this the right way..."
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Ellie, Lazza, Eve, Timelord31, Flamehair, extingman, LoveIsForever, salcombe_girl and Isabelle, thanks so much for reading, and all the great feedback, it means so much to know people are enjoying the story because I know I'm loving writing it.

Ellie -
Poor Max, probably feels a bit like he lost Liz all over again. Even though he knew they weren't the same woman it was a glimer of a chance that he could be happy like that again.
I'm sure you're right, and add to that the fact that he wouldn't want to admit even thinking about something like that either, feeling that he was betraying his wife by doing so...
I wonder if caring enough to try and find her(not that Max doesn't..) will have the desired effect on this new Liz.
Well they have to find her first remember, and as for Isabel thinking it was too much for Liz, she might be right, but if you look at it from Liz's view, right from when Emily was born, she was taught that she was HER responsibility, her and Max's, she's just taking that to the extreme.

Lazza -
I wonder why Max is so resolved to let her leave?
Maybe he honestly thinks that it's for the best. If he's having a hard time of it, he must know it would be hard for Liz too, and if this was what she decided, to go off on her own, maybe he truely thinks that is her choice to make. Or maybe at the moment his feelings are still too messed up for him to think much of anything. I think you're probably right to some extent about the feelings too though, as we've said before, it's far from being straightforward...
Liz should have at least made Isabel change some money or something, it wont be easy being 17 with a child in a strange city in a strange time.
You forget, Liz does have powers too, you never know what she might be able to do... But either way, she didn't want to tell the others what she was doing, because she knew from what they had said before they would try to stop her - only problem is she got the idea they were doing it more out of obligation than want...

As for Liz's Max, he died as the cave fell in after she had been sent away using the granolith.

Eve - I know it might seem harsh the way that he's acted, but his emotions have been on something of a rollercoaster - it can't be easy seeing a child that is 'his', but then isn't at the same time, to say nothing of a version of his dead wife...

Timelord31 - glad you like the way it's going

Flamehair - thanks, glad you're enjoying. If that's what you want, I think maybe you'll like this next chapter.

extingman - WOW thanks for the great feedback, I'm so glad you're enjoying the story
So what I was wondering is if he is feeling the slightest bit of guilt about how he reacted? Does he really feel she is better off out in the world alone with her daughter? Especially as young as she is.
I don't really know if he's certain what he's thinking or feeling at the moment, but part of it is that he's trying to respect her feelings too. If it's hard for him, he knows it must be hard for her too, and if this is her way of dealing, who's he to stop her. I don't think that sense really comes into it though, and whether the FBI is at the forfront of his mind at the moment is rather debatable...
I want to know what happen in Liz's life.
Funny you should say that, I can now officially say that there will be a prequel fic to this since it was what I did for Nano. Considering other posting, and commitments with uni and such, I'm not going to post until it's actually finished, but I can tell you it's coming along nicely. I'll be continuing to fill in little bits with flashbacks in this fic, but if you want all the details, the prequel will hold the answers :wink:

LoveIsForever - exactly, it's NEVER going to be an easy situation, I guess each of them have a lot to work through.

salacombe_girl - thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the story, hope you like the new part.

Isabelle -
I know this is going to be a long hard road for both Liz and Max. She needs him, too....
Unfortunately, you got that right there about the long hard road, it's not going to be easy, and they have a long way to go to work through everything. They each have a lot of stuff to deal with, the question is whether they'll be doing that alone, or together.
And so does little Emily. She needs a daddy. I feel so sorry for that girl.
Well, she does have her mommy who'll be showering her with love, but you're right, there'll always be something missing without daddy there :( -

For those of you that don't know, I completed NaNo successfully, adding to my collection of writing over 110 extra pages filled with the start of a prequel to this. As mentioned above, I can't afford to start posting another unfinished fic though, so it'll remain a WIP on my comp until I'm done and then I'll post, sorry I can't do do otherwise, but I'm going to have a lot of uni stuff on after Christmas, and all it would mean would be that my updates became less and less regular which I'm sure you wouldn't want.

Anway, the last few weeks with NaNo and uni have been hectic, and I'm sorry not to have been able to put this up sooner, but here I am now anyway, and I hope that you like the new chapter.

Another last little snippet of info if anyone is interested, I'm kinda nervous about it, but I'm going to be doing an Author's chat later this month on http://p196.ezboard.com/bdreamingamongstars. It's going to be at 8pm EST, on the 19th December, and if anyone wants to come, I'd love to see you.

Hello to any lurkers out there, I hope you're enjoying the story and thanks for reading.

~Kat~

Chapter 16

"Maria...do you want to come for a walk with me...?" Isabel asked pointedly as she walked into the room.

Maria immediately picked up what she had in mind and pulled back from Michael, in whose arms she was safely ensconced. "Sure...sounds great!" She replied enthusiastically.

Her boyfriend looked somewhat put out, and more than a little puzzled. Maria wasn't exactly known for taking walks, and he thought they had been quite happy as they were... He didn't have to work tonight, and neither did she... While Max and Kyle still had work, he had been hoping to persuade Isabel to go out and let him have a bit of alone time with his girlfriend. It wasn't exactly the easiest thing to arrange, but it had been looking promising, and he had been planning it for a couple of days. "Hey...what about me...?" He demanded, pulling a pet lip.

Maria rolled her eyes and shook her head. "I'm sure you can manage for a few hours...but right now some air sounds like a great idea!"

"Well we can always go for a walk together...alone...?" He suggested hopefully. This suggestion showed how desperate he was for this time. The last few weeks had been pretty awful... He knew that Maria had taken the loss of Liz almost as bad as Max, and since Bridgeport, they just hadn't seemed to get any time alone. He needed her, but it went both ways too, and he couldn't help thinking that she needed him too...

Isabel refrained from making a response, despite the fact this could muck up her plans. She didn't want to stop Maria if she wanted to go out with Michael, because she knew the two of them hadn't had much time together recently... If worst came to worst, she could always go on her own - she could protect herself even if Max and Michael didn't want her to be alone... She looked over at her friend, waiting for her response.

The offer was tempting, Maria had to admit. It was rare that Michael would be so thoughtful, and she hated to skip out on him like this. At the same time though, she knew this wasn't the time. She and Isabel had already been out a few times since Liz had left a few days before. So far they had found no trace of her, or Emily, and they had to accept that the longer she remained gone, the more likely she might have used her money to get out of the town...

She did hope not though... She missed Liz terribly, and even if this wasn't the same girl she had grown up with, the important things had seemed to be the same. She had a similar personality, was kind and caring, and Maria was certain that given time they would have become firm friends. In fact, they still could, she determined, if only she and Isabel could find the missing girl.

With this in mind, she looked up and over at Michael, shaking her head. "N-no...it's okay... I'll be back in a little bit and we'll still have most of the evening together..." She told him softly

Michael couldn't shake the feeling that he was missing something... Something was going on, but he hadn't got a clue what... Arguing with Maria was only likely to cause problems though, and spoil what time they would have left in the evening when she came back he supposed. Knowing this, he decided not to object but to simply accept what she was saying. "Okay...well I'll be here, I might pop out to get something to eat, but if I do I won't be long..." He assured her gruffly.

A short while later, the two girls were standing at the end of the street on which the hotel stood, trying to decide which way to go.

"This is hopeless you know Izzy..." Maria commented, shaking her head and leaning against the outside wall of the building. "This is a pretty large place, and we have absolutely no idea where we might find her..."

Isabel sighed and nodded. As much as she hated to admit it, Maria was right. It had been nearly three days since Liz left... Every day, she and Maria had been out looking for her, spending hours trawling the streets, but to date they had found no sign. The fact was that she could be anywhere... The possibility of finding her, in truth, was practically non-existent, but it didn't stop them trying... "I know Ria... But we can't give up... She's going to need to find a job... I know it's not much, but it's somewhere to start..." With this, she resumed walking, heading down the street and crossing the road as they continued towards the centre.

Maria shook her head again. "Isabel for all we know she could have moved on by now..." She pointed out in a weary tone as she followed her friend.

The redhead turned to look at her. She shook her head. She knew it was a possibility, it became more likely the more time passed of course, but she just had a feeling that the girl wouldn't have left...well not yet anyway... "I think she's still here..." She responded softly. "We just have to find her..."

"Easier said than done..." Her friend sighed. "Isabel it's not that I don't want to find her, you know I do... But she could be anywhere..." She chewed her lip. "I hate to say it, but maybe Max is right...maybe we should just let her live her own life..."

Isabel's head shot round. "You don't mean that!"

She shook her head. "No...I suppose I don't..." She conceded softly. "I want to find her Izzy...of course I do... I know she's not 'our Liz', but just having her there, it was great..." She bit her lip and blinked back a tear that was threatening to escape her eye. "I miss her so much Isabel... When we met this Liz, I guess I thought maybe I could get some of my best friend back..."

Understanding what she meant, Isabel nodded softly. "I know Ria...and we're going to find her..." She sighed and shook her head, looking over as she stopped in front of the first diner they came to. "Come on...let's try in here..." She told her friend, stepping towards the door, pushing it open and entering.

Turning as he heard the bell ring to announce new customers, the diner owner sighed as he saw the two teenagers who had just entered. He hoped that these might be actual paying customers; as opposed to the last one he had gotten rid of not ten minutes earlier. Certainly the situation hadn't changed if they were friends of hers...as he had told the brunette, he had no jobs available...

On seeing that the two girls appeared to be heading in his direction, he scowled and turned to face them. "Either order and eat, or leave!" He told them sharply without giving them any chance to even greet him.

Maria recoiled a little, somewhat taken aback by his attitude. Weren't diners supposed to be welcoming...to attract customers...? Or at least that had been the attitude at the Crashdown, and most of the other places she had worked since leaving Roswell, anyway... In her mind this guy was simply going to scare away any customers if he was like this all the time...

Isabel too was surprised, raising her eyebrows as she looked around. She could honestly say the apparent lack of customers she noted now came as little surprise. Who in their right mind would want to be served by such an unpleasant man...?

"Well?" He looked at them expectantly. If they weren't going to order, they were wasting his time and he had already had enough.

Maria looked over at Isabel, feeling that if they were going to ask their questions, she would really rather she did it... It wasn't that she was literally scared of the guy, but his attitude was rather 'bracing' to say the least...

Her friend shook her head. In all honestly, she couldn't imagine they were going to get anything from this place. She looked over at Maria. "Come on...lets move on..."

Needing little urging, Maria quickly followed her and then two girls headed back out to continue their search.

Another couple of hours later, they were just about ready to give up for the day. None of the cafe owners or waitresses that they had spoken to remembered Liz and, assuming that Emily was with her as they expected, everyone agreed that she would hardly be missable... A teenager with a kid might not stick out quite so much on her own, teenage parents being a fact of life whether people liked it or not, but when she was looking for work it would be another matter...prospective employers were extremely likely to take note of a fact like that...

So, given the lack of recollection, both girls felt pretty safe assuming that Liz hadn't been in any of the diners they had checked - well not to ask for work anyway...

At one point during the day they had thought they had seen her though... There had been a brunette, around her height, walking along in front of them with a little girl that was probably around Emily's age. Both girls had spotted her at almost the same moment and immediately they had broken into a run to try and catch up with her. They had struggled through a mass of people who were in the way, gaining funny look from many, but in the end what was it for...? Nothing... When they had caught up with the woman in question, it was apparent that she looked nothing like Liz in truth, and was a good deal older.

So now, after hours of disappointments, it was five in the evening. The girls estimated that they must have walked around half the city - or so their feet claimed anyway - and as much as she still wanted to find Liz, Maria for one was ready to go back. "Come on Isabel...let's call it a day..."

Isabel sighed but shook her head. "Just one more..." She urged, noting that there was in fact only one more place on this road. It seemed pointless to give up on it when it was so close... After all, what if this one was 'the' one...?

Groaning, Maria reluctantly nodded. "Okay...one more..." She conceded after a moment.

As it happened, that one more was exactly the one they wanted...or very nearly anyway... It certainly gave them the first lead they'd had all day... The owner wasn't around, but one of the waitresses remembered a girl like they described. "Pretty little thing..." She commented as she spoke about the young brunette that had come in earlier in the week looking for work.

Upon hearing this, Isabel grinned. She knew they had no evidence of it really thus far, but she was certain it had been Liz. Quickly, she pulled a picture out of her pocket that she had been carrying round. It was one of their Liz of course, and more recent than would have been ideal. Unfortunately recent was all they had though... Taking off as they had done had meant they had to leave everything behind, and any pictures and such from their past were all still back in Roswell. The only picture they had of Liz was long hair had been the wedding snap, the girls having decided to change their styles less than two weeks later, and Isabel had known that there was no way she could take that without it being noticed. Even if she managed to get it back before Max returned from work, Michael of Kyle would most likely immediately notice its absence too, and there was too much opportunity for that to happen... Instead, it was a picture of the three girls soon after they changed their hairstyles. The short cut hardly helped comparison, but Liz's face still looked the same, or something like... It should suffice, or so she hoped... "Is this her...?" She asked of the waitress earnestly.

The girl looked uncertain. "I guess...it could be... I'd have said she looked younger though, and she had much longer hair...half way down her back I'd guess..." She trailed off and studied the picture carefully again before nodding. "I think it's her though..." She confirmed, looking at them. "She had a little girl with her too...very sweet, and she had amazing brown eyes..."

That was all Maria needed to convince her. They had found Liz...or so she thought... "Is she working here...?" She asked eagerly.

The waitress shook her head apologetically, explaining that they had no job openings and that unfortunately the girl had been turned away. That was as much as she could tell them, and she had no idea where she might be staying...

Maria and Isabel both sighed. It had seemed like they had finally found her, but in the end it was nothing more than a dead end really... Certainly it was nice to know she had been here, but when it came down to it, it had been earlier in the week, and gave no indication of where she might be now...

Still, it did tell them that Liz had stuck around - or at least at first she had - and the fact she was looking for a job seemed to indicate that she intended to for some time... Isabel tried her best to look at it positively. She looked back at the waitress. "I know it's a long shot, and there's probably little point in even asking, but could you possibly give her a message, if she ever comes back...?"

The woman nodded slightly. "Sure...I can do that..." She offered them a sympathetic smile. "I'm only sorry I can't be of more help..."

Isabel nodded silently. So was she... She sighed. "Okay, well if you see her, can you tell her that the gang misses her, and ask her to please contact us...?" She knew the request to contact would soon be pointless when they moved on, but they had a little longer, and she just had to hope it was enough...

Receiving confirmation that she would do this, the two girls nodded, thanking the waitress for her help, and left the diner to head back to their hotel.

Michael was of course waiting when they got back. There was something in their eyes which showed that they hadn't just been for a walk... That, and the amount of time they had been, plus the fact both looked shattered. "What's going on?" He demanded.

Isabel tried to brush off his questions, giving an explanation that they had lost track of time and ended up in an area they didn't know very well.

"And that's all...?" Michael asked suspiciously, apparently not completely convinced.

Both girls nodded. Maria moved forward. "I'm sorry we were so long..." She told him, siddling close and reaching up to kiss him gently. "We can still have our evening though...maybe we could even go out for something to eat...?" She suggested softly. Generally when they ate it was at fast food places, but in truth their finances were probably in the best state they had been in come time, and an occasional treat was good for their relationship. "You don't mind do you Izzy...?"

The other girl shook her head. "Not at all, you go have a good time, and I'll get Max and Kyle to crash in here tonight so that you two can have some privacy when you get back too..." She gave them a small smile. "You guys enjoy your time..."

Maria gave a wide smile, delighted by her response and nodded. "Okay...well if you give me a few minutes to get changed Spaceboy, we can head out...assuming you still want to...?" She looked at her boyfriend questioningly.

His response was to pull her fully into his arms, just holding her there for a moment and then nodding. "Of course I do...I've been looking forward to this all week..." He told the little pixie who had brought so much love into his life. At one time he had been so scared to open up, to let anyone see him, but she had changed all that... She had shown him love, and opened him up...and he loved her for it... Dipping his head, he kissed the back of her neck, eliciting a little squeal of surprise from his girlfriend before releasing her to go and get ready as he sat down on the bed to wait.

Isabel watched the pair for only a moment before excusing herself. This was their time... She grabbed her bag, and then headed out of the room, slipping out of the hotel again and aiming for a small bar the group had found soon after arriving in this place. It was a lot cheaper than most places, making it ideal for their budget, and unlike most places, they didn't seem to have a problem with serving up something that was non-alcoholic, alcohol being off-limits to everyone but Kyle, who had yet to show any sign of powers, and Maria.

She wasn't going to be long she knew, but she just needed to get out of there for a while... Upon reaching her destination, she headed inside, greeting the bartender in a friendly fashion and ordering a bitter lemon and tonic. She sat down and took a sip of her drink, going over the day in her head. They still had no firm leads on Liz, but at least they knew she was still around... She wasn't going to give up...
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Timelord31, Lazza, begonia9508, Ellie, Flamehair, Liz2Infinity, rigel, thanks for all the feedback and support guys, every bit helps me so much, I just love knowing people are enjoying the story as much as I'm enjoying writing it. Thanks to you, and everyone else who is reading, I just hope you're all enjoying it.

Timelord31 -

Please tell me Liz is going to be walking along the side walk when Isabel leaves the bar. Or Max actually already knows where's she's at

*hides behind computer* sorry, it's not going to be that simple.

Lazza - Aww hun, I'm sorry to hear about the tree, but you're right, the tree looks GREAT :D

I'm sure Michael knows what is happening, but he's just letting the girls do there thing, keeping them happy. Maybe he knows where she is?

I think he'd rather they just forgot about her, but it's not that simple is it...? Never is...

See what NaNo does to people? It warps your brain.

Right with you there, glad you're back on track again now though :D

I wonder what Max has been up to the past week?

I still don't think he is thinking clearly about who this Liz is and what she now has to deal with.

I think you're right there, I'm not too sure he's thinking very clearly about anything right now. He's not really thinking about the FBI when it comes to Liz, and I think he's trying to justify his own behaviour by arguing that maybe without them she'll be able to have a normal life and it'll all be better for her in the long run.

As for Liz, of course you feel sorry for her, like you say, it's hard not to. She's seventeen, and has all this to deal with, it's never going to be easy for her...

Lastly of course, I'm very sorry for not updating sooner too.

begonia - maybe...but then remember that they're working nights too...

Ellie -

I don't see how she's managed it so far.

I guess when needs must... It's amazing what you can do if you have to, and I have no doubt that Liz's number one priority will be looking after her daughter.

Flamehair - sorry, I'm afaid I have to disapoint, it's not going to be that simple.

Liz2Infinity - Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the story, hope you'll like the new part even if it's not exactly as you were hoping...

rigel - Yes, Isabel and Maria are ready, but of course the next task is to find Liz...

Sorry not to have been able to post sooner, but I'm doing my best in amongst revision and christmas shopping.

One last reminder about my chat on Dreaming among the stars http://p196.ezboard.com/bdreamingamongstars. It's going to be at 8pm EST, on the 19th December - coming up very soon and I'm very nervous - and if anyone wants to come, I'd love to see you. I think you have to be registered on ezboards, or that particular board, and then just click on the livechat link at the top of the home page.

So after that bit of plugging, I'm done, and I'd better get on with the next chapter and it's time to catch up with Liz and the others a little. If I don't post again before - and I'm hoping I will - MERRY CHRISTMAS!

~Kat~

AN: As usual, any italics are memories or flashbacks

Chapter 17

"Mommy...I'm tired!"

Liz looked down at her daughter wearily, pushing her hair back from her face as she bent down and lifted her up before continuing along the road. Her own arms felt like lead in truth, but there wasn't much she could do about that... "I know sweetheart...we're going back now, I promise..." She told her softly.

Once again she had spent the whole day walking round the town looking for some work. She had long since exhausted the adverts in the paper, and she couldn't afford to buy a new one to check out the more recent, so instead she was reduced to simply trailing around the diners and asking if they needed any extra help. It wasn't the most successful tact, and so far she had found absolutely nothing.

Of course she had seen the way some of the people had looked at Emily, and she couldn't help thinking that had she not had her daughter, she might well have been offered something a couple of times. Either those thought that she wouldn't be reliable, or were older and disapproved of her situation though, and once again the result had been the same.

"Want to go home!"

Emily's desperate plea brought tears to her mother's eyes. She too wanted nothing more than to go home, to walk back into the Crashdown and see her parents with their open arms. She knew that wasn't going to happen though. She couldn't go back, she had no way to get back to her own reality, and even from the short time she had stayed with the versions of her friends from this reality, she had gathered it wouldn't be safe here... "I know sweetheart, I'm sorry..." She responded softly, shivering as she realised how much the temperature had dropped in the last few hours.

As they reached the end of the road, she noticed the park on the other side, reminding her of the other where they had first entered this reality.

"Want to go home! Want daddy!"

As Emily began to cry, Liz crossed over the road, entering the park and sitting down on the first bench she saw. She wrapped her arms around her daughter, rocking her gently and fighting against the matching tears which were threatening to run down her face. "I know baby...I know..."

It was so hard... She was her mother, and she should know what to say she knew, but in truth she felt as lost as she had done the first time she had held her all that time ago. Nothing she could say was going to change the fact that she couldn't give her daughter either of the things she wanted, however much she wanted to be able to.

Whether she had picked up on her mother's distress or not was uncertain, but Emily's pleas fell silent, simply clinging to her front as she continued to cry. Liz held her close, rocking back and forth, nursing her much as she had done when she was a tiny baby. "I'm sorry baby...I'm so sorry...we should have known..." She murmured softly kissing the top of her daughter's head.

Emily turned her head slightly, then struggled to stand up on her lap, reaching up to wrap her arms around her mother's neck. "Love you mommy..."

Liz felt almost choked as she did this. She tightened her hold around the little girl's tiny back. "Mommy loves you too...so so much Emily..." She told her softly, just sitting there for a little longer. Unfortunately, it seemed that the drop in temperature had been a sign of brewing bad weather and as the first spots of rain began to fall, she stood up quickly, sitting Emily her on her hip. She looked down at her daughter, pulling up her jacket hood quickly and holding her close. "Come on...let's get back and get something to eat okay...?" She told her as she made a dash for it just as the heavens opened.

"Hey guys..."

The group looked round as the door to the room opened. Isabel smiled. "Hey Max...how was work...?" She asked, moving up on the bed to allow him to join them. She and Maria had finished working less than an hour ago, along with Kyle and Michael, and the four of them were currently involved in a card game. Somehow, despite the time, none of them were ready to sleep...

Her brother shrugged. "It was work..." He responded with a complete lack of enthusiasm.

Kyle looked over. "Going to join us...Michael is just about to wipe me out, so I'm sure we'd be glad of another player..." He invited.

Max shook his head. "I don't think so guys... Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm just going to hit the sack..." He commented, giving a slight wave before continuing into the other room and doing exactly as he said.

Isabel sighed and bit her lip. She hated seeing him like that...

His mood hadn't escaped the notice of the others in the group either, and while when he came in the atmosphere had been light and friendly, everyone enjoying themselves, it was now somewhat more subdued. The chatter had faded away to pretty much nothing, and Michael had slipped an arm around Maria whose smile had completely disappeared.

Seeing this, was all Isabel needed to banish any tiny doubts she might have had over her continued efforts to find Liz. Her brother needed her...and so did the others... She took a deep breath and reached up to push her hair back from her face, gathering it into a bunch and, while holding it with one hand, searching for a band to fasten it with.

"So..." Kyle looked round, finally breaking the silence which had fallen over everyone. He motioned to the cards in front of them. "Are we continuing or..."

He didn't finish, and he didn't really need to... Deep down everyone knew they weren't really in the mood for cards anymore... The moment had gone, and they were back to thinking about the reality of the situation... It was nice to be able to just act like normal teenagers for a bit, but worries and such were never far from the back of their minds, and when brought to the front, it wasn't easy to banish them again...

Kyle turned his attention to Isabel. "You okay...?" He asked gently.

She shook her head slightly. "Not really..." She admitted. "I just hate seeing him like that... I want to help so much, and yet when it comes to it, I just don't know what to say..."

"He misses her..." Michael commented, voicing the obvious that everyone knew.

Maria nodded. "We all do..."

Sensing, and understanding her distress, Michael pulled her deep into his arms, holding his girlfriend in front of him. "I know Ria..." He responded, kissing her gently and trying to provide what comfort he could.

Maria turned in his arms, burying her head in his chest and crying.

Kyle looked at Isabel again, noting that she didn't really look much better. He wondered if he should do the same as Michael...but then maybe that would be too much. He stood up and walked round to sit in the space she had provided for Max, just sitting there but hesitating to do anything more.

Isabel looked over, saying nothing at first. Then, as she finally spoke, she looked to him again. "W-would you...just hold me for a little bit...?" She requested softly, not really too sure where that had come from. All she knew was that she needed someone right then...

Kyle nodded, opening his arms and welcoming her into them. "Sure I will Izzy...anything you want..." He told her softly as he closed them around her again and the four of them sat there like that in silence.

Inside the other room, completely oblivious to what was happening between his friends and family, Max sat on his bed. He had gotten changed into the pyjama bottoms he slept in, but he wasn't really sleepy... He simply sat on the bed in silence, almost as though frozen in time. In his hands was the framed wedding picture of him and Liz which usually stood on his bedside table, and his gaze was fixed on the face of the beautiful brunette. Liz...his wife...his soul mate...

“I love you Max, nothing is ever going to change that…” She smiled a small smile. “You say that I had to leave home for you, but see, here’s the thing, I didn’t, because I know one thing now…my home is with you…” Liz reached up with her hand, tracing the line of his jaw as she closed her eyes and leant closer into his arms.

Max felt as though he was suffocating. He missed her so much it hurt... Every day was so hard, just trying to make it through, trying to continue as he knew he had to even though all meaning had gone for him... Sometimes he wished he had been killed too...certainly it felt as though it would have been easier than having to live without her...

Why had it happened...? They had been so careful, or so they thought... They never stayed anywhere a long time, and yet still the FBI had caught up to them...

Never being able to stop, never being able to settle down. Never able to let anyone in or make new friends... That was their lives such as they were...

When Liz had been there, it had just about been bearable...because she was there... As long as she was at his side, he could cope with anything. She was all that he needed... But now...? Now he was alone... He knew there was the rest of the group, but it just wasn't the same...

But he had to continue; he had to keep going for the group... He couldn't give up as he wanted to because others were at stake. He had to protect his friends and his family, and he would... He would die trying if necessary, because they were all he had left... He had lost the person most precious to him; he wouldn't lose anyone else...

A silent tear fell from his eyes, dropping onto the glass and distorting the view of the image beneath. He reached out with his free hand, using a finger to wipe it away and then traces the lines of her face. "I love you Liz..." He whispered, his voice so quiet it would probably be lost in the wind if he were outside. "Now and forever...in this life and beyond...you are my one, my only...my true love, and I'll never forget you..."

Kissing a finger, he then pressed it against the glass, turning and pulling back the covers and climbing into bed still with the frame in his hand. He held it against him as he laid his head down and closed his eyes, finally giving up and surrendering as sleep took him, knowing that only while he dreamt Liz might be with him once more, at his side...
Last edited by KatnotKath on Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

behrluv32, Ellie, begonia9508, Timelord31, Lazza, thank you very much for the feedback, I know this is a busy time for people, so the fact you took the time means twice as much as normal.

behrluv32 -

she was crazy to run off she has a daughter to think of.

I know it might not seem the smartest, but she's just doing what she thinks is best - I guess that's all she can do, and not all the decisions you make in life are neccessary the right ones...

i understand that it isnt the same but it shouldnt be a hinderance to their happiness in a weird way it may help them heal...well at least that's what i hope

Maybe, all I ask is that you don't expect a quick fix, because I don't see there being one in this situation.

Ellie - I know it's sad, I'm sorry - I'm not purposely trying to be depressing, but I'm just trying to write the characters how I see them, and right now, I don't see them happy...

begonia9508 -

Really would love for Liz's to find work.... for the safe of her little Emily!

Well let's see how she's going on shall we?

Timelord31 - sorry, I know it's sad, it does get better, but it's going to take time...

Lazza - Part two of your christmas present :wink:

I'm sorry if I'm being depressing, although your story isn't exactly roses and chocolates at the moment lol.

Unfortunately it's got to be hard, because I want it to be realistic, or as realistic as possible, and this wouldn't be easy...

Each time I read a part I wonder how Liz manges to be such a good mother at 17 and with all this crazy going on all the time.

It's amazing what you could do if you have to...what other choice does she have?

Hmm which makes me think, has Isabel tried dreamwalking Liz? They have a photo after all...

Check around chapter 6, I believe you'll find something there...

Anyway, I promised to try and update again, and amazingly here I am. Part 18 isn't that long, so I decided to give you a treat :wink: two chapters for the price of one - I do hope you'll enjoy them.

~Kat~

AN: the section in italics represents something which happened in the past

Chapter 18

"Mommy...I'm bored!" Emily walked over and tugged on her mother's skirt.

Sighing, Liz bobbed down and nodded, opening her arms to her daughter and hugging her briefly. "I know you are sweetheart, but you've been really good this week, and mommy needs you to do the same today okay...?" She looked at her, kissing the top of her head lightly before standing up again.

She moved over to the small mirror which hung on the wall above her wash basin and checked over her appearance again.

The simple, button through red dress with ties at the back to create an illusion of fitting was hardly top of the range or modern... It hung just below her knee, and was a style which went out at least three years before probably, but it had been cheap to pick up, and certainly looked more sensible for a job 'interview' than the jeans and t-shirt which were her only other clothes. It wasn't exactly warm, but then you couldn't have everything she supposed…

A job 'interview'... It was nearly a week since she had arrived here, and still she hadn't been able to find a job. Either she was too young, they wanted references which she couldn't give, the hours just didn't work, or seeing Emily caused them to immediately change their mind. She shook her head. She was definitely getting desperate... Her money was gone, and if she didn't find something soon, she was going to be out on the streets...

Over the last few days she had tried diner after diner, and also applied to a number of cleaning agencies. What the work was it didn't matter, she just needed a job...she needed money to keep a roof over her head and provide the things that her daughter needed...

Turning her attention back to her appearance, she waved her hand in front of her face quickly, applying the slightest amount of make-up, before moving on to comb through her hair.

She smiled and nodded at the result. She didn't look bad...

"Mommy pretty..." Emily commented as she looked up.

Her mother smiled and laughed softly. "Thank you..." She reached down, scooping the little girl up in her arms and smothering her in kisses. "And you're my beautiful girl..." She told her, her cheeks glowing with pleasure as she played with her small daughter.

"Eurgh hum"

The sound of someone clearing their throat caused Liz to turn sharply as her instincts told her it was coming from inside the room. Sure enough, as she turned, she found herself looking at Mrs Wilson who had clearly just used her key to let herself in again.

"Now here was me thinking I was doing you a favour by letting you stay a few extra days...considering that you already owe me two days rent which you apparently don't have..." The older woman commented, clearly not happy with what she saw.

Liz nodded quickly. "You are Ma'am...without a doubt, I am most grateful..." She knew that she was lucky to have found this place, however unpleasant it was. It was certainly cheaper than a hotel, although even for this her money had of course run out two days ago as the older woman had just reminded her. She had been able to pay for three days, but those three days were gone and past…

She nodded. "Indeed...well I would have thought that you would be eager to get out and find some work...in order to be able to pay what you owe me..." She commented pointedly.

Liz swallowed and nodded again. "I was just getting ready to go out..." She explained before adding again how grateful she was for letting them stay and promising to pay the money she owed as soon as possible...

Mrs Wilson nodded. "You'd better...I'm not running a charity here, and if you don't pay up by the end of the week I'm afraid that I can't afford to let you stay any longer..." She looked over the girl again. "You know what I think...?" She commented, not really expecting an answer.

Understanding that this was a rhetorical question, Liz remained silent and waited for her to continue. As much as she wanted to tell the unpleasant woman where to go, the fact was that for the moment this place was all that she had by way of a place to stay, and much as she felt she would find a way to manage, there wasn't just her to think about. She couldn't have Emily sleeping rough, she was the most important one here and for her sake she couldn't afford to get chucked out...

The woman smiled. "I think that you're too picky..." She continued. "You think you're too good for the sort of jobs a girl like you is likely to get..." She looked over at Emily, and the meaning of her words was clear.

Liz bit her lip but lifted her daughter up, sitting her on her hip as she faced the older woman. "You are of course entitled to your opinions..." She responded, doing her best to bite her tongue although the reference to Emily she could not allow to pass. Mrs Wilson could say what she liked about her, but when the reference so clearly referred to her daughter, it was another matter... "I would appreciate it if you did not refer to my daughter as though she were something to be ashamed of however..."

Perhaps surprisingly, the only reaction she got was a shrug from her. "Well I'll let you get on with your job hunting...remember, I want the money by this Sunday or you're out...

With that, she left the room, closing the door behind her and leaving Liz alone with her daughter once more.

That had been two days earlier now Liz remembered... It was Sunday morning, and still she hadn't been able to find anything. Liz was close to tears as she watched her daughter sleeping. By that evening, it was looking very like they might well be without a place to stay. She bit her lip and moved over to the mirror, pulling on her t-shirt and combing her hair.

"Knock knock..."

She looked round, biting her lip as she saw Mrs Wilson waiting in the doorway again. "Oh Mrs Wilson...hi..."

"Good morning...I don't suppose that you have my money yet...?" She wasted little time with the pleasantries.

Liz swallowed and shook her head. "N-no...I'm going out again today, but if I don't find anything I know, I'll be out of here by tonight, and as soon as I do find a job I will settle up what I owe you..." She assured the woman, moving now to finish getting her bag ready before waking her daughter.

She couldn't help thinking there was a strange look in the older woman's eyes. "I meant what I said before you know...maybe you're being a little picky..."

The young girl in front of her shook her head. "I do not believe so...I have applied for lots of different jobs, and my name's on the books for a couple of cleaning companies...just nothing's turned up as yet..."

"Oh...I didn't really mean that..." Mrs Wilson gave a small smile. "I might have an offer of a job for you though..."

"Really...?" She couldn't say she wasn't surprised, because she was... If she knew of somewhere hiring, she didn't know why she would have told her earlier...afterall, she did owe her money for the room…

She nodded. "Yeah...a friend of mine is needing waitresses in his club..." She shrugged. "I could have a word if you like...?"

Liz nodded uncertainly. There was something about all this that just didn't seem to hang well - it was all too convenient... "Uh...yeah...if I don't find anything today I guess that would be good...thanks..."

She nodded. "Okay, well tell me when you get back...if you haven't found anything I'm sure I can hook you up with him tonight..."

"I guess I should say thanks..."

She shook her head. "It's fine...you're looking for work and he's looking for waitresses...just helping out a friend, and making sure I get my money..." Mrs Wilson shrugged and stepped back towards the door. "I'll leave you to get out...happy job hunting..."

As she watched her disappear, Liz shook her head, trying to work out what was going on. Her offer sounded perfectly reasonable...but if her friend needed waitresses for his club she did wonder about why it hadn't been mentioned earlier... She sighed as she noticed the clock, putting it to the back of her mind for now. Why wasn't that important, what was, was that even if she didn't find anything that day, it sounded like she was going to have a job, and hence somewhere to stay...and that was definitely the major thing...

"But for now, I have another day to hunt..." She muttered to herself as she moved over to the bed, taking a seat and reaching over to shake her daughter's shoulder gently. "Emily...honey time to get up..."

Chapter 19

"And you say you've had some experience...?"

Liz nodded, stiffening slightly as she saw the older man looking her over. There was nothing suggestive in the action; simply she guessed he wanted to confirm whether or not he really believed she would be able to handle the work. She swallowed and looked up at him. "I know that I'm small, and I know that I'm young, but honestly, I'm a hard worker..." She knew it was pretty obvious that she was desperate; she needed a job, any job... "My parents ran a diner back home...I worked there for over two years..." She explained quickly.

The man, who she had learnt was called Zack, still looked a little sceptical, and she couldn't blame him really... She told him she had experience, even that she had worked in her parent's diner, and yet she refused to give references... She chewed her lip nervously.

He appeared to think a moment and then nodded again. "Alright...I would prefer references, but I'm gonna give you a chance..."

Liz let out a sigh of relief, thanking him profusely.

He shook his head. "Don't thank me yet... You're on a month's trial, and if I think for one minute that you're not pulling your weight, you're out, without any notice...understand...?"

She nodded quickly. "Yes...of course..."

Zack nodded again and looked over to where Emily was sat playing at one of the back tables. "The shift I'm needing help for is the night shift, so assuming she's no trouble you can bring her in and let her sleep in the back okay...?" He wasn't completely sure about this, but the girl seemed nice enough, and maybe he was too kind for his own good, but the way she had looked seemed so desperate - the dress she was wearing was hardly suitable winter wear… Still, if it turned out she had lied, or she didn't work, he wasn't going to keep her on then... It went both ways, he offered a job, and she took it...

This having been one thing that was really worrying Liz, she smiled finally. It was a big load off her mind to know that she wasn't going to have to find and fund childcare, and she knew that Emily usually slept pretty well so it shouldn't be a problem. Plus of course, working nights meant that she got at least some of the day to spend with her daughter, and important factor. One of the advantages she gained from her powers as they developed was that she didn't need as much sleep as she used to, so as long as she got about five hours - just slightly more than Max had needed - she should be okay.

Realising that Zack was looking at her, she suddenly realised she had yet to give him an answer. She felt her cheeks flush as she nodded again. "Y-yes...I mean thank you..." She stammered a little.

Her new boss allowed himself a small smile. She was pretty cute, not that he'd ever try anything, but he had to wonder what had caused her to run away - because the lack of references was classic for such a case... The kid would have been an obvious thing of course, except for her age... From what the girl had said, she'd been working at her parent's diner after she was born - assuming she was telling the truth about all that - so what had changed...? He studied the brunette carefully as she looked over at her daughter and then shook his head. Whatever it was, he hoped it worked out for her...

Liz forced her attention back to the matter at hand as he began to explain her hours and they dealt with the matter of pay. Of course she couldn't give him a bank account, which did cause some problems at first, but it was settled on that she would get cash in hand, albeit earning slightly less. As long as it was enough to pay bed and board, and provide for Emily though, Liz was perfectly happy...a job was a job, and finally she had found one...

As it happened, Liz got to prove she could indeed do the job even sooner than expected. She hung around to get something to eat at the diner, and just as she and Emily were finishing up, Zack got a call from one of his afternoon staff. Something about someone being ill, although he doubted it was true... Noticing that she was still there, he went up to his newest waitress and asked if she wanted to earn a bit of extra money... It would be a long day for her, he understood, considering that she was supposed to be starting that evening at six anyway, but as much as he didn't want to take advantage of it, he knew she wouldn't refuse.

He was right of course. Extra money was not to be sniffed at, especially when she already owed for four day's board, and Liz immediately agreed. She made sure that Emily was okay, setting her up with a colouring pad and pencils - to colour normally this time - and then slipped into the back to get changed into a uniform. Zack had assured her he'd keep an eye on Emily, and she had to smile when she came out less than five minutes later, sporting a short, dark green minidress and white apron with matching trim, and saw him doing exactly that. In fact, he had even gone further and sat down with her for a few minutes.

Upon spotting that Liz had returned, he got up and headed back over. "Hope you don't mind, I just couldn't resist trying to get to know that gorgeous little girl a little..." He grinned and nodded in approval as he took in her appearance. As usual Liz had tied her hair back for ease, and he couldn't help noting that she wasn't pulling at the bottom of her dress as newbies were prone to do. In fact, she did in truth look pretty comfortable with it all, and if he hadn't been before, he was now pretty much convinced that did indeed have the experience she claimed.

Liz smiled back and shook her head. "Not at all..." She looked at him. "Where do you want me to start...?"

Directing her to a table that was waiting to have their order taken, Zack watched her a few moments as she headed over. He noted the ease with which she took the orders and passed them through to the kitchen, and also the way she dealt with two college guys firmly yet politely, as they tried it on a bit on her way back to the counter. He smiled and nodded to himself. It looked like he had found quite a catch... He had no doubt that she would be more than capable of dealing with the graveyard customers, and although he might have been worried a little about her being one of only two waitresses on, a few moments earlier, those fears were now completely cleared. This girl could handle herself just fine, and she was clearly good at her job. As long as she didn't try skiving, he thought they were going to get on just fine...

Deciding he had seen enough, he turned his attention back to the customers waiting to pay at the counter and went to deal with them.

Liz smiled as she headed over to a table near the back. She gave a little wave to her daughter, but didn't let it distract her from her work and didn't stop to talk to her but continued over. While a lot of girls would be horrified by the uniforms so many of the diners seemed to like, and although she couldn't say she actually liked them, she couldn't deny that she was pretty comfortable. This latest uniform was much the same style as she had worn at the Crashdown, minus the alien apron and antennae - both of which she was actually missing to some extent, much to her amazement - and having worn that for two years, it really didn't bother her.

Of course she received a few comments, which she either ignored, or dealt with, according to exactly what had been said, but that was par for the course and she was far more interested in the fact she was actually working.

During her break a couple of hours later she took Emily out for a quick walk, deciding some fresh air would do the little girl some good, but she was back in plenty of time and certainly Zack couldn't accuse her of shirking.

At half five, knowing that she was due on anyway at six, he called her over. "I'm impressed..." He told her smiling. "You've worked really well..."

Liz smiled. "Thanks..."

He nodded. "Okay, well I'm gonna say if you head off now and take an hour...I know I told you your normal hours were six till two, but you've been working hard, and I'm sure I can stick around another half hour if necessary. He shrugged. "I'm sure you're going to want to get her..." He indicated the little girl still sat at the back. "...sorted, and you should get yourself something to eat as well."

At first Liz was going to protest, knowing that she wouldn't have any problem really, but she realised that it might seem strange if she said that and simply nodded, accepting the offer, "Okay, thanks..."

He shook his head. "No, seriously, thank you... I know I couldn't have dealt with all those people this afternoon on my own..."

Liz smiled. "No problem..." She looked over at the clock. "So I'll be back around half six..."

Zack nodded. "Sorry I can't give you longer...I hadn't really noticed the time, I was going to let you go at five..." He knew it wasn't long for her to rest.

She shook her head. "Honestly, it's fine..." She assured him smiling. If it hadn't been for needing to tell Mrs Wilson she had a job, and of course getting Emily sorted, she probably wouldn't have bothered going anywhere, picking something to eat off the menu here and just spending the hour in the diner, but as it was she thanked Zack again, collected up her things and got Emily ready to go before heading out the door.

Luckily the diner wasn't that far from the boarding house she was staying in, and it didn't take much more than ten minutes to get back.

"Any luck...?"

Liz had barely got in the door as Mrs Wilson appeared. She smiled and nodded quickly. "Actually yes...I just need to get some stuff sorted and then I have to head back..."

A strange look passed over the older woman's face... Disappointment...? Liz wasn't sure, but she shrugged inwardly, deciding it didn't really matter. "I'll be getting some money this evening, so I should be able to settle up with you tomorrow..." She had explained to Zack about her accommodation problems, and he had agreed to pay her for that day's work before he left that evening. Usually he'd pay once a week, on the Saturday, but he understood that she was needing this, so had agreed to make an exception.

"Oh, really...I'm so happy for you darling..." Her tone came across as anything but genuine. "Well if it doesn't work out all you have to do is say and I can contact my friend as I said..."

Again, Liz got a strange feeling upon the mention of the 'friend'. Something just wasn't right about that... Still, she noted the clock in the hall, time was ticking away, and she needed to sort food and Emily. She excused herself from her landlady quickly and returned to her room.

She hadn't had much time anyway, and the interruption by Mrs Wilson hadn't helped, but she was able to go along to the bathroom and take a quick shower, before giving Emily a wash and getting her ready for bed. Pulling the nightdress on over her head, she slipped her arms through the sleeves of her coat next and wrapped her up warmly. Scaling down her usual bag of things, she slipped a cup, DeDe the doll and two spare diapers, along with a few other things, into the smaller bag she had bought at the same time as her dress.

Emily pulled a face as she saw the diapers. "NO!" She pouted, trying to push away her mother as she came to put another on her.

Liz sighed and shook her head. She was fully aware that her daughter hated them... It had taken relatively little time once started to potty train her for during the day, but in the evening as yet it just didn't work. All that resulted was wet beds, and given it wasn't even going to be a proper bed that evening, it just wasn't an option. "Emily..."

The little girl sighed in such a way that her mother couldn't help laughing. She shook her head again and once more tried to lift her down from the bed. This time, the little girl made no effort to resist and when set down on the floor pushed down her pants and reached for the diaper. It was a pull-up one, and although she watched her carefully, Liz handed it over and smiled as she saw Emily pull it up. "Good girl..." She dropped a kiss on her head and finished changing back into her uniform.

Once done, she had a little over ten minutes before they had to be heading back, and decided, rather than getting something to eat for herself, to spend it playing with Emily. She had already fixed her daughter something to eat earlier while still working, so the little girl shouldn't need anything else and she wasn't that hungry herself she had to admit. Instead, she spent a lovely, although all too short, ten minutes with the little girl, playing with DeDe and a teddy bear she had with her.

When it was time, they headed back towards the diner, Emily walking upon Liz's insistence, her mother knowing that it would tire her out sufficiently that it should be easy to get her to sleep. Sure enough, they weren't even half way there when the little girl's eyes began to droop. Her mother looked down and smiled, lifting her in her arms and allowing her to rest her head against her shoulder on the rest of the walk.

By the time they arrived, it was just before half six, and Emily was fast asleep. Liz pushed open the door, and headed through towards the back room, nodding to Zack as she slipped through the door.

Heading over to the sofa, she focused her attention on laying her own daughter down without waking her. The little girl did stir for a moment, but it wasn't long, and she barely said one word before drifting back off. Liz smiled in relief and after pulling up the blanket, and kissing her forehead, she headed out into the diner.

Zack looked round as he heard the door open, unsure which it would be, and smiled as he recognised Liz. "Evening..." He moved to get the money he had promised her, and was just in the middle of handing it over as his second waitress came running through the door.

"Sorry Zack, I know I'm late...Julie had to bag on me though and finding someone else at this time was-" The medium height, light brown haired young woman broke off, gasping for breath.

Her boss laughed as he nodded. "It's okay; I know you wouldn't be late without good reason... You found someone though...?"

She nodded. "Yeah...costing me a fortune but..." She shrugged.

Liz moved away slightly as they continued to talk, not wanting to pry so didn't catch the rest of the conversation. She went over to clear a couple of recently vacated tables, and was just dropping the dirty plates off at the kitchen when she heard Zack calling her. She headed over.

Zack motioned to her as he looked at the other woman. "This is Liz, I'm sure you girls will get on just fine, but for now I really need to go..."

She laughed. "Big date...?" She suggested.

He grinned. "Wouldn't you like to know..." He winked and shook his head. "Okay, so show Liz how to lock up when it comes to it, and other than that I'll leave you two to get on with it..." He waved, sticking his head into the other room and grabbing his jacket before heading out the door.

She shook her head as she saw him disappear. Zack really was a scatterbrain sometimes. She offered the younger girl in front of her a smile and held out her hand. "Hi Liz...I know our crazy-brain of a boss forgot to say anything, but I'm Serina..." She introduced herself to the girl she was apparently going to be working with.
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

sonii, Lazza, begonia9508, Timelord31, Ellie, Flamehair, Isabelle, rigel, thanks for all the feedback, and to anyone else that's reading of course, it's wonderful to know you're enjoying the story.

sonii - thanks for reading, I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

Lazza - well I did promise a treat :wink:
Firstly I think the 'club' that Liz's landlord was going to set her up with a job in was a special club....and that Liz would be forced to wear very little if anything at all to work there.
Iol, I think everyone's on the same wavelength there...

Glad you like Zack, and Serina, well - guess you'll have to keep reading to find out more about her.

begonia9508 - thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the story
Serina!.... is she the one FMax told about?
Well, strictly speaking our Liz here never encountered FutureMax, but anything is possible...

Timelord31 -
I'm glad she finally found a job.
I think everyone is

Ellie - There's more of Serina this chapter :wink:

Flamehair - thanks for reading, glad you're enjoying the story

Isabelle - Seems I wasn't very subtle with my hinting with the landlady huh? lol
Poor Max. It's hard to see him like that but he does get into those kinds of funks, doesn't he?
He does indeed. :? As for Liz going back to NM, not going to happen because its too dangerous and she knows it of course, but certainly could be interesting for her trying to work out how to explain it all...

rigel -
I'd be more comfortable if she stayed with Isabel and Maria
Maybe she just needs some time herself, to become 'comfortable' as much as possible with the new situation...? She's always had a support network there behind her in the past, however hard it's been, but she doesn't feel it's fair just to expect isabel, Maria and the others to provide that when she hardly knows them really...

Sorry I haven't got back to this sooner, the original plan was to put up a part for new year, but getting sick and being stuck in bed kinda put paid to that idea and I've been busy trying to catch up with all the revision I need to do for my exams which start shortly. Hope you all like the new part, I hope to be updating again before my exmas start on the 19th, but if not I should be posting again by the end of the month when they're over.

Thanks to everyone who's reading, hello to any lurkers, I hope you're enjoying the story!

A late HAPPY NEW YEAR to all

Which leaves for me to say simply 'on with the story' :D

~Kat~

Chapter 20

Liz was slightly surprised at the way that Serina referred to Zack, but when she thought about it, she really didn't know why. From what she had seen, he certainly didn't stand on ceremony, and it was likely that the other young woman had known him a good deal longer than herself. She smiled as she introduced herself and nodded. "Pleased to meet you..."

Any further conversation, for the moment, was broken off as the bell above the door began to ring, announcing the entrance of customers.

Serina looked over at the younger girl. "I'll deal with the tables, you cover the counter for now...assuming you're cool with that...?" She looked at her questioningly.

Liz nodded, not really seeing any problem with handling it that way. "Sure, we can do that..." She agreed. Suddenly realising she hadn't got an apron on yet, she grabbed one from behind the counter, tying it round her waist as she went over to greet a group of teenagers who had settled at the end of the counter.

At the same time, Serina went to collect an order from the family who had sat down at the back, and both girls got to work.

"Can I help you...?" Liz asked politely, welcoming the group with a smile.

One of the guys flashed her a bright smile. "Yeah, thanks...we'll have two cokes, one soda and a one coffee, with a large portion of fries in the middle."

From the way they were dressed, the bags they carried and their order, it didn't take much to guess these were college students, and true to form, they appeared to be hard up as far as cash.

"Hey Serina!" One of them looked over and waved to the second waitress.

She looked up slightly and smiled back. "Hey Gus..."

Passing the order for fries through to the kitchen, Liz got stuck into fixing the drinks required. To her surprise, while she was doing this, the guy who had ordered jumped down off his buffet and moved down the counter so that he was closer. "You're new...right...?" He questioned.

Liz turned slightly, still keeping her eye on the drinks which were under the soda-fountain and nodded. "That's right...I started today..." She responded, keeping a smile on her face. She had to admit, it made a nice change that he didn't seem to be trying to see down the front of her dress...

"Steve, stop chatting up the waitress and come back here to have a look at this!" The one Serina had addressed as Gus called over, indicating a book he had pulled from his bag.

"Okay okay...I'm coming..." He flashed another smile at Liz. "So as they just said, I’m Steve…nice to meet you...?" He looked at her expectantly.

She smiled. "Liz..."

He grinned. "Nice to meet you Liz..."

Two hours, and a couple of rounds of drinks later, the students had moved onto one of the tables, obviously going through some assignment they had.

"Steve likes you, you know..." Serina commented softly as she looked over towards them.

Liz looked up sharply from the table she was just clearing at the front. "What? You're crazy...he doesn't even know me..." She protested quickly. It wasn't that Steve wasn't good looking or anything, and she had talked to him a little while getting drinks and such for the group, but she wasn't interested in anyone like that...not after Max...and she was certain the other girl was reading something into nothing...

She shook her head. "No...I don't think so... I've known these guys a couple of years now, and Steve is really quiet usually... He's the worker of the group..." She shrugged. "He's opened up more tonight that I've ever seen him do, and that's because of you..."

"Hey Serina, come and give us a hand will you...?" Gus called from the back of the room, causing the few other customers to look up.

She rolled her eyes and headed over. From her spot at the counter, Liz could see her scolding him for shouting, although she did spend a few minutes looking at the book they showed her. In the end, Serina shook her head, saying something more and then walking back towards the front of the diner. She sat down on one of the stools by the counter and shook her head again as she looked at Liz. "Honestly...I know I did the same course as them, but they're third year, and I dropped out after my first...I don't know what they expect..."

From what she had seen of Serina, Liz couldn't help being a little surprised that she had dropped out of college. There were plenty of possible reasons though, she supposed... It didn't have to be anything to do with the work; it could have been something simple, yet essential, like money...

Considering that she had now become a high-school drop out though, although through no fault of her own, she decided it would probably be best not to make any comment, feeling that it would be somewhat hypocritical, and might in truth jeopardise any friendship she hoped to build with the older woman. She didn't expect anything serious of course, nothing like she had with Maria or Isabel, but she was going to be working with her, so it would be nice to be a little more than acquaintances maybe... Therefore, the only response she made to Serina's comment was to smile and nod, before moving to deal with a customer as they came to pay at the counter.

"Same again...?" Liz asked as Steve motioned to her on passing.

Serina smiled as she watched the two talking from a distance. She knew that Liz thought that she was crazy, having said as much when she voiced her thoughts, but she certainly thought there could be something there...if the younger girl allowed there to be... Steve obviously liked her, and from everything she knew of him, he was a pretty nice guy. Of course first of all she would have to drop the walls she appeared to have built up. She didn't understand them, but she recognised the ploy... That girl needed to let someone in...

Just then, her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a door opening. She looked over to the entrance, but of course no bell so it hadn't come from there... Turning, she then looked at the door into the back, and what she saw seemed to make a lot of things fall into place.

She had wondered at Liz's age, believing that she couldn't be more than seventeen and wondering how she was juggling the job with school considering the shift hours, but now she understood. The little girl stood in her nightdress at the bottom of the counter couldn't be anyone else’s... "Liz...? I think there's someone who wants you here!" She called over before bobbing down to the little girl. "Hello...what's your name...?" She asked softly.

Liz looked over, a little puzzled by her words, but excused herself from the guys quickly and headed back to the counter. As her eyes set upon her daughter, she understood completely and set about trying to apologise. "I'm sorry Serina...she was asleep I-"

The young woman shook her head. "Don't apologise, it's fine... "I'm assuming you're going to want to go settle her again, so I'll see to the drinks for Steve and the gang...I'm assuming it's the same again...?"

A little surprised at how understanding she was being, Liz nodded silently, moving now to pick up her daughter. "Yeah…Okay...I won't be long..."

She nodded. "Take your time...it's fine..."

Pushing back the door with her back, Liz slipped into the back room and went back over to the sofa, setting Emily down and perching on the edge.

"Mommy gone..." Emily pouted.

Liz smiled and shook her head smoothing her daughter's hair back from her face. "No sweetheart...mommy's right here...I promise..." She dipped her head to kiss the little girl.

Emily wrapped her arms around her neck and buried her head in her chest, causing her mother to sigh and hug her tightly. "I'm sorry baby...but mommy has to work..." She told her softly, lifting her up and setting her down on her knee as she began to rock the little girl back and forth.

"Not sleepy!" Emily insisted stubbornly, although the way her eyelids were already beginning to droop seemed to belie that claim.

Liz smiled, knowing that it was only a matter of time. "Oh no...you're going to stay up late with mommy are you...?" She asked softly, all the while rocking back and forth as she knew would help to send her off again.

"Yes...me stay...stay..."

As her voice trailed off, Liz continued rocking her for a few minutes, then turned and transferred her onto the sofa again. She pressed a kiss to the top of her head and picked up the blanket that Emily had obviously pushed down earlier. Tucking her daughter up carefully, she watched her for another moment, and then carefully stood up, looking back again once before continuing back through into the diner.

If she expected to be met by an accusing stare, or complaints about skiving perhaps, from Serina she got anything but.

Looking round as she heard the door open again, Serina smiled softly at the young girl who came back through. As Liz opened her mouth to apologise again, she shook her head and held up her hand to stop her. "That's a beautiful little girl you have there...what's her name...?" She asked lightly as she tidied one of the recently vacated tables.

Liz couldn't help smiling. "Emily...and thanks..."

Serina simply nodded in response, and since another group of customers chose that moment to enter, further conversation at this point was cut off as Serina went to seat them.

Perhaps surprisingly, it didn't seem to ease off until they were pretty much ready to pack up. Steve and his friends had left a couple of hours before, but a steady stream of customers had continued to come in, and leave, almost right up until closing.

Even given her diminished need for sleep, Liz's legs were aching like mad and she was ready to give in. She sat down on a stool in front of the counter for a moment and covered her mouth with her hand as she tried to stifle a yawn.

Serina gave a knowing smile. "Tired...?"

She nodded. "Yeah...it's been long day..."

"Well it's almost done now, and then we can get some sleep...or try to..." She chuckled. "How long do you reckon before that little girl of yours wakes up for good...?"

Liz groaned and pulled a face. "Um...maybe I'll get about four hours...if I'm lucky..." She sighed and shook her head. It was nice to be talking like this with someone, although exactly why Serina was being so nice about it she wasn't sure. She looked over at the other waitress. "Look, I'm sorry about before...I know I had to leave you on your own for a bit..."

Serina shook her head. "Honestly, it doesn't matter...kids wake up, I should know... The first time I tried bringing Thomas here I think I spent half my shift trying to keep him quiet..."

Liz looked at her curiously. "Thomas...?"
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Thanks for all the great feedback guys

Lazza - Glad to see you like Serina, you'll be seeing plenty more of her over this story I can asure you. Emily? -Yes she's a good kid now, but the tantrums will come eventually, as with any child.
And lastly Steve - don't you trust me?
L-J-L 76 - Glad to hear you like the story.
Why was Max being a major jerk?

I don't know that he was being really, just he's trying to deal with his grief, and having Liz there with Emily can't have been the easiest thing.
As for all the other questions, I don't mind you asking, but I'm afriad I'm not giving away answers at the moment, you'll have to keep reading to find out :wink:
begonia9608 - you think Serina has a kid...? Well, I guess you'll have to wait and see. We're catching up with the other half of the story this week though.
Emz80m - welcome to the story, I'm glad you like it :D:D
Ellie - I'm glad you seem to like the idea of Serina, although I wonder what common experience you're talking about lol :wink:. I don't think Serina was ever going to push Liz at Steve, just she felt that she seemed very insular, and didn't know why. I think you're right about them being good friends though, and it has nothing to do with FutureMax's statement in the show.
Isabelle - Glad you liked the part. As for Steve, don't you trust me? :Wink: I think Liz will just be dealing with the important things first as she gets used to being alone, and number one is Emily of course.
Liz2Infinity - lol Thomas...? My lips are sealed hehe. As for the pod squad, I have to ask for continued patience, it's going to be a long ride, but I hope it will be worth it in the end.
flamehair
Timelord31

I know you're all wanting Max and the others to find Liz again, but please be patient. I think they both need time, it will be a long trip, and not going to be easy, but I hope you'll agree at the end it was worth it...

Thanks for any and all feedback, it's always appreciated and really does help. Hope that everyone reading is enjoying, whether they be feedbacking or just lurking.

So here's the deal, I have exams as from this Thursday, so I'm updating one last time before they start and then hopefully I'll have an update for you early February. I'm sorry to leave you hanging like this, but I really won't be able to spend the time I need to update until then and I hope you'll understand that sometimes, much as I might not want it to, real life has to come first.

Anyway, here's the next chapter, I hope you enjoy, and I'd love to hear what you think as always.

~Kat~

Chapter 21

"Okay, spill! What do you girls think you're up to?" Kyle demanded, cornering the two of them as they were about to slip out of the room. Both had told the guys they were tired, and were going to sleep, declining the offer of going out in favour of going to bed supposedly. Kyle had suspected that there was more to it than that though, and had decided to stay back in the hopes of finding out exactly what.

He looked from one girl to the other, his gaze settling on Maria who he knew was a terrible liar. "Come on, where are you going?" He demanded of her.

The focus of his attention remained silent, although he did catch her looking over at Isabel as though asking for help.

"Maria...?"

She squirmed awkwardly, and seeing that she was about to answer, Isabel stepped in to try and save her. "Well, it's Michael's birthday soon... She can't exactly buy him a present with him there now can she?" She asked, raising her eyebrow and giving him a look which suggested that she thought the suggestion was quite ridiculous.

Kyle was torn. The explanation given was possible certainly... Michael's birthday was indeed coming up, so maybe it was something as simple as that... Maria's earlier reaction made him think twice about accepting it so quickly though... If this were the case, why hadn't she just come out and told him...? It wasn't as though it should be a big secret from him... Michael would be the one they had to hide it from... He shook his head. No, as convincing as Isabel was, Maria was far from being the same, and something just didn't add up about it all. "I don't believe you!" He stated firmly.

Isabel looked over at Maria and cursed her luck. She couldn't blame her friend in truth, but why, why, why couldn't she lie convincingly for once...she'd had enough practice in the past hadn't she? She shook her head and focused on Kyle. From the look in his eyes, he wasn't going to be easily fobbed off, and when she came to think about it, maybe having one of the guys in on their search would in the long run be useful... She thought for a moment and then nodded. "Okay, you've got us Kyle... We're not going out for a present for Michael..." She admitted softly.

He nodded. "I knew you weren't!" He reaffirmed his earlier comments, pleased to find that he was right. Once he was done with his brief celebrating, he fixed his eyes expectantly on both girls again. "So...are you going to give me an explanation of exactly what you are doing...?"

Maria looked over at Isabel, indicating for her to be the one to fill him in.

Isabel nodded and indicated the beds. "Maybe we should all sit down a minute..." She suggested, deciding it might be best.

Kyle shrugged. He didn't really see why, but it wasn't much to him whether he did or didn't so whatever... "Okay..." He sat down.

Maria took a seat on the opposite bed, while Isabel took a seat next to Kyle. Without truly realising what she was doing, she reached for his hand.

Although surprised, Kyle made no indication of this and simply waited in silence for the explanation he had been promised.

"We're looking for Liz..." Isabel finally admitted. She took a breath, but continued before he had a chance to respond. "I know that Max said that we should leave her, and I know she said she needed to start again alone, but there was something between them, I know there was... I'm not saying they would have got together like before, but I really think they could have helped each other..." She shook her head. "Please Kyle, I'm only doing what I think is best, but please don't tell Max..." She could just imagine his reaction is he found out what she was doing before they succeeded in finding her.

It hadn't escaped her notice that they had already stayed here longer than anywhere recently, it was coming up to a fortnight, and she knew they could be leaving anytime... And yet, whenever Michael suggested doing just that, Max had rebuffed the idea... She wasn't sure if it was her brother's subconscious way of showing he did want to find Liz again, but she was certain that if he discovered her search the response would be to leave immediately. She couldn't allow that to happen...

If he had been honest, Kyle had in truth wondered at the girl's willingness to just give up on Liz. Maria inparticular he didn't see just accepting the fact that she was out there, but not in touch with her, and he had to admit when he thought about it, the fact that they obviously hadn't came as little surprise. He nodded slowly. "I believe you Izzy...and I won't tell him, but you have to know you're running out of time..."

She nodded. "I know..." Isabel sighed and shook her head. "We've tried diner after diner...some places have seen her it seems, but no one was able to tell us where to find her..."

Kyle watched her facial expression and hesitantly offered her his arm. "Need some help...?" He suggested softly.

Later that evening, Max was just knocking off work. He grabbed his coat and headed out the back, walking down the road and along in the usual direction. As he neared the hotel though, he realised that in truth he wasn't ready to go back, and making a hundred and eighty degree turn, he headed back the way he had come. Turning off just before he got to the bar, he headed into the centre in search of a late night cafe. He knew he could always have gone to the one where Maria and Isabel worked, but he didn't really want to be around the rest of the group right then... He just needed time, alone...

Passing one cafe, he vaguely noted two waitresses, one with dark hair carrying a child, locking up. Although he couldn't really make out their appearances in the dim light, immediately he found his thoughts returning to Liz, or rather the Liz that was out in the city somewhere, as they had been all evening.

More and more as time had gone on he found himself thinking about her and the little girl she had to care for. She was so young, how would she cope alone, would she have found a job, what would she be doing...? He told himself that this was none of his business, but still he couldn't help his wondering...

He shook his head, telling himself that the woman he had just seen probably looked nothing like Liz, and scolding himself for getting distracted so easily. An FBI agent could probably have walked right past him and he wouldn't have noticed...

CONCENTRATE! He told himself sternly. He couldn't afford to get distracted like this. He had to stay on alert, be strong... The group was his responsibility, and he couldn't let them down again...

Liz... Not his Liz, but a version of her, alone, out here... She said that she needed to live her own life, but still, he felt responsible for her... She didn't know anything of this world really, they had told her so little about what they had been through. The need to lay low, to keep moving, it was still pertinent to them, but was it to her...? The FBI believed her namesake to be dead, as she was, so maybe it was safe for her...? Maybe Liz was right, and she and Emily were better off alone...

Emily... Not for the first time he found himself thinking about the small child. The little girl who had been created between Liz and another version of himself. He wondered what had happened... That beautiful meld of his features and hers, who spoke of all the dreams he had shared with his own wife...

She wasn't his though... He told himself sternly. Emily had lost her father... He was nothing more than a stranger, and Liz was right, they had to move on...

So involved in his thoughts was he, that he almost walked past the first open cafe, only stopping just in time as he looked up. Pushing open the door, he walked into the cafe and took a seat at the counter, ordering a strong black coffee. Usually he longed for sleep, but tonight, he just wasn't ready... He needed to think, to go over some things...

The waitress seemed to understand that he didn't really want to talk, and simply fixed his drink in silence, setting it down in front of him and stating the cost.

Max didn't even look up as he passed over a note. He probably didn't even notice what type of note he had given so, if the girl had wanted to rip him off, it would have been an ideal opportunity... She didn't though, handing back the correct amount of change and then murmuring a thanks as he gave back a small tip.

Once that was done, Max just continued to sit in silence though. He brought his cup to his mouth, and it stayed there...just hovering for a moment.

"Are you okay...?"

He blinked, realising someone was talking to him and set the drink down, looking back into the eyes of the waitress, who he now noted had black, curly hair. She was cute enough, if that was the sort you liked… "What...oh yeah..." He responded without much enthusiasm.

The girl looked at him. "Look, I know you don't look as though you want to talk, but you really did seem lost just then...maybe you should skip the coffee...you look as though you could do without the caffeine..." She suggested hesitantly.

Max shook his head. "Nah..." He lifted the cup again and swallowed a mouthful this time. "I was just thinking was all..." He murmured, almost as though to himself...

She nodded. "Well, if you want to talk...?" She shrugged. "I know, its somewhat cliché...talking to the waitress or barman an' all...but seriously, I hear it can help..." She offered him a small smile.

Max sighed and shook his head again. "Thanks but..." He trailed off.

"Mind my own business...?" She shrugged and smiled again before heading over to collect an order from the older man who she had seated a little while before.

Closing his eyes, Max took another sip of his drink, swallowing as the caffeine hit the back of his throat and burying his head in his hands.

Running, hiding... What kind of life was that, how long could they continue...? When Liz had been there, he had thought it was completely doable, as long as she was there beside him, but she wasn't anymore... Liz was gone, and this life they lived seemed worse and worse every day...

"I don't know..." He muttered to himself. "I just don't know..."
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

begonia9508- Maybe he just needs some more time...
Ellie - Actually I haven't said whether Thomas is a son or not... I just wanted to point that out. If you read on you'll find out though...
Lazza -
I wonder if it was Liz he thought he almost maybe saw?

Hmm...I think you might be right :wink:
Flamehair - Kyle and Isabel is still sort of uncertain, I'm playing around with a few ideas at the moment, haven't decided which I will go with though...
As for your thoughts about FutureMax, how about this - in FutureMax's reality, Liz and Max eloped at nineteen and stayed married - that didn't happen in the end, so the future has already been changed and who knows what might happen now... (Does that make any sense...?) :-?
Timelord31 - Well, logic surely says they have a better chance of finding her with three looking than two though...
Emz80m - No, that wasn't Serina he was talking to, Serina was locking up with Liz. The waitress was just in some random diner, sorry if I confused you. :embaressed:
Isabelle - Well yeah, but Max is stubborn isn't he? Maybe not usually as bad as Michael, but still he doesn't do a bad job of competing...
bluebballjumper - welcome to the fic, thanks for reading and so glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and also for the good luck wishes for my exams. Glad to know you're enjoying the story. I also want to thank you for being patient with me, both in the frequency of my updates, and also in the way the story is going.

So my exams are over - after what seems like an age, and I thought I'd give a double treat today, hope you all enjoy.

Hello to any lurkers out there, thanks for reading and hope you're enjoying the story.

~Kat~

**As usual any italics show a memory**

Chapter 22

"Michael will you please just quit it?" Maria pleaded with her boyfriend. Isabel had told her to knock off early, assuring her that she would cover the diner, and encouraging her to go surprise Michael... Although reluctant at first, once persuaded, Maria had thought it was a wonderful idea and had been looking forward to the possibility of some couple time...

What she got though, was anything but... Michael's first reaction had been to demand what had happened, immediately jumping to the conclusion that her appearance was a bad thing, and even after she had explained it wasn't, he had seemed less than pleased to see her.

Maria just didn't know what to do... She loved him, of course she did... She had left her family and home, and had never regretted it...but sometimes she couldn't deny it was difficult...

Over that year between when he had chosen her over going back to Antar, told her that his home was with her, the two of them had been through so much... Their relationship had been tested to the point of destruction, and then, just when she had thought it was over, he had told her again how he felt...and he had left... She had thought she was never going to see him again, and perhaps that was when she had come to a realisation of her own...

When it came to it, she might not have had a choice about leaving, but she didn't have to go ‘with’ him, and she had made her choice...to ‘be’ with him...

For over twelve months now their relationship had continued to strengthen... She had felt herself growing closer and closer to him. Michael had opened up to her, and it had been wonderful...

That didn't mean that he didn't have his moments though. Sometimes Michael's determination to act as protector was completely infuriating, and this was one of those days...

She just wanted some time with Michael... To forget all about the running and hiding for one night, to be able to act like a normal couple...

He just didn't get it though... All he seemed to care about was the fact that Isabel had been left alone...

Maria felt as though she was bashing her head against a brick wall. So Isabel had been left alone, at her insistence as she tried to point out, but it wasn't as though she had special powers to help protect her... When all was said and done, she was just a normal human... She reached for his hand to try again. "Come on Michael...Isabel told me to come here...please, I know you're working, but I'm sure I don't stick out that badly do I...?" As she said this, her hand indicated her clothes, which Isabel had taken care of back at the diner. She certainly looked the part, a young woman out for a good time...

Grudgingly, Michael had to concede that. He had seen how a number of the other guys spent a lot of their time chatting up the ladies... Spending a little time in Maria's company himself was hardly going to raise any eyebrows...and in fact it might help him fit in a little more...

That wasn't really the point though... His objection wasn't really to her being there... It was wonderful to see her, but he just couldn't relax knowing that Isabel was back at the diner alone... He knew that in truth she was more than capable of looking after herself...certainly Maria didn't have any of her own powers, but he still just felt happier knowing neither girl was alone... Since Bridgeport, he had taken his role as the protector even more seriously. He had messed up once, with terrible consequences – he could have lost Maria too that day – he wasn’t going to do that again. He shook his head again. "Maria, you should go back!"

His reaction was definitely not what she had been hoping for, and at that point Maria flipped. She had had enough of his big macho act for that evening, and she just didn't want to know. "FINE, I'm going back to the hotel then - don't even think of waking me when you get back!" With these words, she swung on her heel and stormed out of the club without looking back.

Michael groaned as he watched her back disappear through the door. He didn't want to argue with her...of course he didn't...he just wanted to keep her safe...

"Ooooh boy...looks like you're in the dog house..." Kyle whistled and shook his head as he walked up to the door.

Michael glared at him. "Yeah...so...?"

Kyle's eyes widened in an expression of mock fear and he held up his hands. "Hey...don't shoot me...I was just saying..." He shook his head. "We all know that Maria's moods can completely change in a split second...I'm sure she'll be fine by the time we knock off..." He shrugged and lifted his hand as though to pat Michael on the back. One glance at the look on his face made him think twice about it though, and he lowered it again quickly. "Okay...so I'm gonna get back to work...see you later..."

Michael suddenly looked round at him. He shook his head and reached out to grab his arm and stop him. "Hey...cover for me a while will you?" He told his friend as he realised he needed to do something to fix this, fast...

Kyle looked surprised. "Why? Where are you going...?"

"To make sure Maria gets back okay..." Was the only response he got as Michael up and left, without waiting for confirmation that Kyle would help him, and headed out the door and onto the street.

"They're crazy..." Kyle muttered to himself as he was left alone. He shook his head and looked around. Okay...cover for him...

A little while later, two figures turned onto the street on which the hotel the group was staying at was found. The young man had his arm around the girl who most would presume was his girlfriend, and she was laughing at something he had said it seemed. The young couple looked perfectly happy, a far cry from the distressed woman and frustrated young man who had left the club a short time earlier...

Maria gave a happy sigh. This was all she had wanted, some time alone with her boyfriend... Some time to enjoy being young, and make the most of being in one another's company... She rested her head against his chest as they walked along, revelling in the feeling of his arm which was slung round her shoulders. "Michael...?"

He looked down at her. "Yeah...?"

"I love you..." She whispered softly.

"Yeah...I love you too..." He managed to get out in almost a whisper. He still wasn't good with this touchy, feely stuff, but he knew that he needed her, and he knew that what he said was true... She had opened him up to feelings, and one of those was love... Dipping his head, he buried his lips into her hair, before kissing her forehead gently. "I love you my Pixie..." He whispered again softly.

Those words, so simple, and so basic, were like music to Maria's ears... She knew how hard it was for him to admit that, and yet he had done it for her... She smiled widely as she stopped; turning in his arms and reaching up to kiss him passionately.

Michael was taken by surprise as she stopped. He looked down at her questioningly, about to ask what she was doing, but before a word got out of his mouth, she was reaching up, her lips pressing against his. All thoughts seemed to fly out of his mind, along with reason for the moment, as the desire and want took over. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close and pressing his lips back against hers, crushing them as he began to nibble on her lower lip. Boy how he loved this woman, she was smart, and amazing, and beautiful...and...perfect...

It came as little surprise to Kyle that Michael never returned to work. He just about managed to cover for his friend for the rest of the evening, recruiting one of the other guys to help him when their boss turned up wanting to see Michael, and when the end of the evening arrived, he simply grabbed both coats from the back room, and headed back to the hotel, stopping off at the diner to join Isabel in order to see her back safely. Perhaps he should have been worried about Michael, given that his friend had told him he shouldn't be too long, but in truth he knew full well what would have happened... The couple who had left separately had probably made up in their usual dramatic fashion and Michael had decided he had better ways to spend his evening than turning away underage party-goers...he couldn’t say would disagree, if he had an alternative on offer...

Shrugging as he stopped in front of the diner, he reached forward and pushed open the door, stepping inside and allowing it to swing shut behind him.

"We're closed!" Isabel announced as she heard the door open. She was standing with her back to it, as she tidied away, and looked as though she was busy, but as always she was on alert for anything that might be a sign of danger. She turned around, wanting to repeat her last as she realised her customer had not left. As she did so though, she realised who it was, and her intended words were replaced by those of warm welcome. "Hey Kyle...come in...do you want something to eat, I'm sure I can fix you something if you want...?"

He shook his head, walking over. "Nah...I'm good..." He looked at her. "You nearly finished, because Buddah says..." He broke off seeing her expression and changed tact. "You look like you need some rest..."

Isabel rolled her eyes as he started another of his sayings, and then couldn't help laughing at the way he eventually finished. "You really know how to make a girl feel special you know..."

Kyle laughed. "Well that's what I'm here for..." He told her winking.

A small smile of amusement played on her lips. "Yeah, well I guess we should be getting going..." Running the cloth over the last tables once more, she finished tidying up quickly before grabbing her coat, and bag, and locking up.

Kyle looked over at her as he waited for her to join him outside. "Looks like you've had a hard night..." He commented.

She shrugged indifferently. "It wasn't any busier than usual..."

He smiled slightly, hesitating a moment before offering her his arm as they walked along. "Maybe not...but usually there's two of you..." He pointed out. He tilted his head to look at her properly. "It was a nice idea you know..."

"Did it work...?" Isabel looked back at him and sighed as she realised she had her answer. "Michael is such an idiot sometimes!" She muttered to herself as she hooked her arm around his.

"Well yeah, but that's just Michael..." Kyle shrugged and laughed, before adding. "He might actually not have done so badly today though...he went after her, and he didn't get back to work so..."

Isabel laughed as he trailed off, understanding his meaning perfectly. "I'm glad...someone deserves to be happy...” She commented softly, almost as though talking to herself.

Kyle sighed and nodded. "Yeah...of course they do..."

Chapter 23

"Thomas...?" Liz looked over at Serina questioningly.

The older woman nodded, smiling. She reached into the front pocket of her apron and pulled out what looked like a sheet of paper. As she handed it over, Liz realised it was a picture of a little boy. She estimated he'd be around five years old...

"My son..." Serina supplied. "Zack's always been really good about letting me bring him with me, but of course now he's five he's a bit old so I have to get someone to baby-sit... It’s not ideal, and I’d be better with something during the day now for while he’s at pre-school, but then finding anything when you’ve got a kid is somewhat difficult as you probably know… Julie, a friend and flatmate of mine usually looks after him, but she's still at college, and she had a major assignment tonight, so hence the fact I was late, trying to locate a replacement..." She explained softly. She smiled at the younger girl in front of her. "How old is Emily...?"

Although a little surprised, sure that she would never have guessed that Serina had a young son, Liz didn't say anything, and simply smiled, saying much the same as the other girl had done earlier in commenting that he was a beautiful boy. At the other waitresses question, she took a breath, readying herself for a possible reaction. "She's two..." She chewed on the inside of her lip a moment guessing what the next question would be, before adding. "I was fifteen when I had her..."

Serina nodded, looking into her face and noting that while her appearance was young, her eyes spoke of the life-worth of experience she would already have had. "That must have been hard... I had Thomas when I was seventeen, and that was difficult enough..." She commented sympathetically. She liked this girl... Whether it was that she saw something of herself within her she wasn't certain, but obviously she had had a hard time, and somehow she couldn't keep from wanting to help...

Relieved not to see the look of disgust that was so common, Liz allowed herself a small smile as she nodded. "Yeah...it sure wasn't easy..." She responded. She shook her head and bit her lip. "Not that I was on my own...but..."

She trailed off, and Serina nodded, completely understanding. Some things you have to do yourself, and maybe only another mother can understand that... "Did your boyfriend stick around...?" She asked gently, almost immediately feeling that she shouldn't have asked that and trying to withdraw it. "Sorry, you don't have to answer that...it's none of my business I know..."

Liz shook her head and smiled. "It's okay...and yeah, he was there...we were so young, but we were so in love, and he was right there beside me through everything... I had my parents, my friends, and someone who loved both of us unconditionally..." She murmured softly, almost wistfully.

Serina smiled. That must have been nice... For herself, her parents were dead, and her boyfriend took off... Most of her friends were okay, but they were nothing special, and given they were in their final year of school, everyone was moving away anyway... She had pretty much had to cope on her own, but she had managed...she didn’t have a choice… She looked at the younger brunette again. Whatever it had been like in the past, she was here now though...and she was alone from the little she had seen... She had to wonder what had happened to change things, but for the moment she refrained from asking.

Liz swallowed as an image of Max appeared in her mind. She missed him so much... It had always been hard, but never like this...because he had always been there... She remembered the day she found out she was pregnant, how he had held her tightly and assured her that he wouldn't leave. He could have walked away so many times, both before, and after Emily was born, and yet he didn't... He had gone with her to see her parents, faced the anger and accusations... He had shown that he loved her, and she loved him desperately.

“She is perfect you know…”

Max smiled and nodded. “Well, that’s hardly surprising, because she has the most beautiful mother…” He told her softly, leaning over to kiss her softly on the lips before looking back down at the baby and running his finger over her hand. “She’s going to be a real stunner…just like you…” He told her with another smile.

Feeling herself beginning to lose control, as the memory surfaced in her head, she shook her head mentally, refusing to get like this and beginning to close herself off once more. That was the past...not the present or future... He was gone, and nothing was going to bring him back...

The other woman didn't miss the way the smile vanished from her face. She stood watching for a moment. "You okay...?" She asked softly.

Liz struggled to nod, moving to wipe down another table before turning back to the second waitress. "Yeah...you know, it's just hard...like you say..." She whispered softly. "I love her so much, but the idea of having to do this all alone terrifies me...

"You look like you're doing a good enough job to me..."

Her words were rewarded with a small smile. "Thanks...that means a lot..."

"So where are you staying anyway...?" Serina asked curiously, looking round as she closed and locked the door behind them.

Liz stood to one side, waiting until she had finished. The older woman had insisted on seeing her back safely given the fact she had her arms full with her daughter who was still fast asleep. Liz had protested that she would be fine, but Serina had responded that it wasn't an area to go walking around alone and had refused to take no for an answer.

Still, knowing that the Serina had a young son at home, Liz still felt awkward about delaying her getting home, and now she tried once more to convince the other woman she would be fine. "It's not far Serina....honest, I walked here, I'm fine walking back..."

Hardly convinced, Serina shook her head though. "Walking here at six in the evening is completely different to half two in the morning... Now if it's not far, there is no problem with me walking you, and then I know you're back safely...

Liz had tried to point out that still meant Serina had to get home, but she responded simply by pointing out that she wasn't carrying a two-year-old little girl... Finally, realising that she wasn't going to win, she sighed and nodded. "Okay...thanks...I appreciate the thought..."

Serina smiled. "Alright, well now that's sorted...which way are we going...?"

Although still reluctant, Liz motioned as best she could down the street given that her arms were of course full.

Together, the two young women set off, walking down the street away from the diner. As Liz had said, it wasn't far to the boarding house, and given that both were somewhat tired, the journey passed in something of silence. Few words were passed between the two women, and soon they were turning onto the street on which Mrs Wilson's guest house was found.

Serina looked around, surprised to find that she recognised this particular area...and not in a good way... This certainly wasn't somewhere to be walking alone at night, and she set her mind to that if necessary, she would always insist on walking Liz back to make sure she was safe. "It is much further...?" She asked, silently hoping that the answer would be yes... The further Liz was away from this area, the happier she would be...

Liz turned slightly; apparently oblivious to the older woman’s thoughts. "No, not much...it's just up here..." She continued up the road, and then stopped at the far end by a large building. "Here..." She announced, attempting to find her key without dropping her daughter.

As Serina took in the building, she shook her head. "You shouldn't be staying here Liz...it's a bad area..."

The younger girl nodded, having guessed as much. It wasn't as though she had much choice though... "I don't have the money for a better place..." She responded softly.

Serina's heart went out to the young mother who was obviously trying so hard. She nodded reluctantly. "Okay...but promise me that as soon as you do, you'll move out...?"

Liz gave small smile and nodded. "Sure, of course I will..." It wasn't as though she wanted to stay any longer than absolutely necessary...the place pretty much gave her the creeps...but it was so much cheaper than anywhere else she had found… Had she been forced to stay in a proper hotel, she had no doubt she would have been out on the streets by now…

Apparently satisfied, at least temporarily, Serina nodded again and offered Liz a small smile in return. "Alright, then I guess you'll be wanting to get inside into the warm...See you later…" She commented. Stepping back, she watched Liz enter through the door, turning to nod and thank her for a moment, before passing out of sight. When she was gone, she headed back the way she had come quickly, not wanting to be in the area alone for any longer than necessary, and needing to get home to her son as soon as possible.
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...