In the Background (M/L, CC, TEEN) Spoiler Fic ~{COMPLETE}~

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Bordersinsanity
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Bordersinsanity »

Part 11 — Blurry

I rolled over and shut the alarm off. It had been going for almost fifteen minutes. I was surprised that no one came in to get me up. I looked up at the ceiling remembering the last two days. Pure bliss.

<center>Everything's so blurry
and everyone's so fake
and everybody's so empty
and everything is so messed up
pre-occupied without you
I cannot live at all
My whole world surrounds you
I stumble then I crawl
</center>

I rolled over to my left side and dialed Kyle’s number. I needed a few things and thought that maybe he could pull a few strings for me. “Hello?” Great, the sheriff, I mean Jim.

“Hi, this is Liz. Is Kyle up yet?” No small talk just give me your son. I have things to do and people to see.

“Hi, Liz. How are things?” The man is slowly going crazy if he prefers to make small talk with his son’s ex-girlfriend.

“Not bad. I really need to talk to Kyle.”

“Oh, yeah. Hang on a minute.” I hear him put the phone down on the desk. “Kyle. Telephone.” A pause. “It’s Liz.” Another pause. The telephone ruffles like it is being picked up again. I hope its Kyle. “He’ll be with you in a minute.” Nope.

“Thanks.” I didn’t offer anymore information. What he didn’t know was better for him and for me. I didn’t want him talking me out of things.

The phone was silent between the two of us and then, “Hey Liz. What’s up?”

“Hey Kyle. I was wondering if you can meet me at the library when it opens.”

“Sure. Let me get ready and I will come by and pick you up.”

“Great. I was up kind of late last night and I really don’t feel like walking anywhere. I’ll get ready and be downstairs in a half hour.”

“Ok. See you then.”

“Bye.” I hung up the phone. That was easy, but what did I expect? I hadn’t even asked him the hard stuff yet. I walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower. I waited for the water to turn warm while holding my hand under the water I turned the hot water on more. I needed a really hot shower to make me wake up.

<center>You could be my someone
you could be my sea
you know that I’ll protect you
from all of the obscene
I wonder what you’re doing
imagine where you are
there's oceans in between us
but that's not very far
</center>

I’m downstairs in record time, sitting at the counter mom insisted that I eat something. She places a western omelet in front of me. Ooh yummy… “Are you feeling okay?” She asks. Oh, God. Here it goes again. The last time she asked me if I were feeling okay was when Max and I were hot and heavy looking for the orb.

“Yes, mother. I’m fine.” I flash her a sympathetic smile.

“Are you getting enough sleep?” Ut oh. I hope she didn’t know that I was out all night last night. I thought I had looked at myself in the mirror to ensure that I didn’t look too pale or too dark under the eyes.

“Yeah, last night I slept like a baby. No problems sleeping.” Should I attempt to ask her why the sudden interest in my appearances? Why not? “Why?”

“Oh, no reason. Can’t a mother baby her only child before it’s too late? It seems like you have been really busy this summer and I don’t know anything that is going on. Your dad said that he caught you and Max making out in the alley the other night. What’s that all about?”

“Mom!” I can’t believe she came right out and asked that. That is definitely none of her business. “I can’t believe you.” I said it jokingly. “Well… I would have to say that that is true.” I was getting excited about the conversation. Since Maria hasn’t been around for me to talk to, this was probably going to be the only way for me to vent. “I know we had a rough time last year and I know that there is so many things that could go wrong between us, but this time it’s for real. I can’t believe it. I think Max and I are finally going to be able to have a normal relationship.” I was hoping that she could see my enthusiasm in my facial expressions. I looked at her and studied what was going around in her eyes.

“Really?” That didn’t sound promising. “Do you think that you guys are at the stage of making out already? So soon?”

“Mom I’m not a little kid anymore. Max and I are both reasonable adults. We won’t move to the next stage in our relationship until we are both ready.” That last statement seemed to work miracles with her. She seemed to relax a little.

“Well, I knew that’s what you would say so I had a long talk with your dad and told him that we were being too hard on you. I’m… we’re really glad that you are finally acting normal. It isn’t that we don’t love you it’s that we were really worried about you. You practically closed yourself off from everyone including Maria after Alex’s death. Your father and I agree to lift your grounding as long as you continue to let us know where you are at and if you think you will be running late. All we ask is that you be considerate of our feelings and I think that we will get along better.” Wow… Ok, who stole my mom? I demand one of you to tell me where she is… This is absolutely incredible.

“Really?” She shook her head up and down. I had to go hug her. I stood up on the stool and reached over the counter and embraced my mom with a huge hug. “Thanks mom. It means a lot to me. I won’t let you down. I promise.”

“You better go hug your dad too… I think he’s taking you growing up harder than I am.” She let go and before I could pull away she added, “I love you.”

“I love you too mom.” I hopped off the counter and went running to my dad. I realized now that he had been paying real close attention to me and mom’s conversation.

I ran and jumped into his open arms. “Thanks dad. You won’t regret it. I promise.”

“I hope not Lizzie. I hope not.” That was it. He gave me a peck on my cheek and then we separated. He continued to tally the register receipts and I went back to the counter. Kyle should be getting here any minute now. I better tell mom what my plans were for today. I didn’t want to get off on the wrong foot so soon out of the pen.

“Hey mom. Kyle’s on his way to pick me up. We’re going to the library and then he’s going to take Max and me to Hondo so Max can buy a new car that we saw yesterday. We should be back by ten tonight. Okay?” Please say ok.

“Okay. Just remember if you are going to be any later than ten let us know. Make sure your cell phone is charged so if you guys run into any trouble you will be able to call someone for help. And what ever you do BE CAREFUL.” Gotta love it… I was in hog heaven. The jail sentence has been lifted. All those in favor say YEAH!!!

I put my omelet plate in the dirty dish cart and as I was heading out I saw Kyle’s red mustang pull into a parking space out front. “I’m leaving. See you later.”

“Okay… remember be careful.” Mom hollered again.

“I will.” I waved to dad and ran out the front door.

<center>Can you take it all away
can you take it all away
when ya shoved it in my face
explain again to me
</center>

I jogged to Kyle’s car… That reminds me… I needed to start jogging regularly. I opened up the passenger side door and hopped in. “Hey Kyle. Thanks for picking me up.”

“No problem. What’s with the beaming smile?”

“Mom and dad lifted my grounding… You are now looking at a free girl. A free girl that, thanks to you, is now dating Max Evans.”

“No way… You guys are dating again? So soon?” What? What was I missing? I had no idea so I decided I better ask.

“What’s wrong with that?”

“Ummm, Nothing.”

“Come on Kyle. Spill it already. Surely you can’t complain too much you’re the one that’s responsible for it. If you would have just come with me to get my belly ring I wouldn’t be in this situation.”

“Oh, yeah. Blame it on me. That sounds logical. That was two nights ago. What could have happened in a time span of two nights?” He looked over at me. It must have been something on my face. “No way. You didn’t? Did you? Look, you can’t blame that on me… All I did was tell Evans that there was no reason for him and you to be miserable. That I was sure that you guys could be friends and I sent him on his merry way. That’s it… You can’t blame any sexual activities on me. No way.”

“Wow! Down boy. Max and I haven’t had sex… No way… We have too much to get through before we go and do a silly thing like that. I’m just saying that because of you, Max and I have made up and are talking again. Since it is because of you and I can’t get a hold of anyone else I was wondering if you would drop us off in Hondo so Max can buy a new car. That way we don’t have to drive separately.”

“I see just use me… When are you guys going to get it through your thick heads that I’m not here to be at your beck and call? You’re lucky” he continued pointing a finger at me, “that I even talk to you. You know I could say the same exact thing about you. You’re the one that got me mixed up in all this alien crap… I was happy when I was just a jock that didn’t know anything but noooooooo. You have to drag my sorry butt into all this mess, not to mention that I had the evil alien bitch staying in my room. You are one to talk.”

“Ok Kyle. I get it. I owe you one. Whatever you want just holler and I will be there for you.” I smiled. He was just a hoot.

“I know. That’s always been one thing that I can count on out of the bunch of y’ll. You’re a constant Liz and I appreciate your friendship.”

“Thanks Kyle.”

“So are we still heading to the library or do you want me to go straight to Max’s and pick your lover boy up?”

“No… I need to do something at the library and I need to see if you’ve seen anything in Tess’ things while you were packing them up.”

“Okay… To the library then.” He took a few more turns and we were at the library in no time. Things were definitely looking up.

<center>Can you take it all away</center>

<center>can you take it all away
when ya shoved it my face
</center>

We walked into the library and I headed to the section that I always did. “It’s over here. We need to get an inside entrance into the Maclaine mansion. Any suggestion?” I showed him the news article of the open house. Invitation only.

After reading it he spoke up. “It should be easy. You and Max go in tux and gown and when they ask for your invitation act like you are looking for it and then have Max do one of his alien magician acts and change a regular piece of paper into the invitation. Of course you have to know who will be on the invite list so the invitation will match. But other than that it should be a piece of cake.” Sure it sounded easy enough.

“Yeah, right. How are we going to get the registration list? We don’t have any connections.”

“Oh, grasshopper…” Funny. I smiled. “I’ll call them on Monday and inquire about it myself. You’ll be amazed what a security guard can find out for the star that he is guarding…“

“What?” I wasn’t following him.

“And you’re going to be valedictorian of the senior class? Let me explain.” He turned his head from side to side so that he could pop his neck… Rough night? Maybe… “I’ll call and see if I can find out what company the security for the event is coming from.”

“You can find out?” I was amazed. When had Kyle gotten so many connections? I let him continue.

“Yeah, dad has all of them in his office. All I have to do is call them. Piece of cake… A walk in the park. Another drop in the bucket.”

“Ok synonym man.” We were both laughing.

“So, I’ll get you guys in, how are you going to get the key?” I hadn’t thought that far ahead. I actually thought that it would take us longer to get Max and I in.

“I haven’t thought that part out yet. I don’t even know what kind of security there is going to be.” Kyle was holding his hand up to stop me from talking. So I did. I waited for him to start whatever it was that needed me to be quiet for.

“Let me take care of it.” That’s all he said. “Is there anything else that you wanted to show me?” I shook my head no. We had pretty much taken care of everything that I could think of.

“Can you drop me off at the storage facility that has Tess’ things?” I might as well see if I can find out if she knew why there was a second key.

“Yeah.” He took a few copies of the Maclaine Mansion layout as I waited. When he was done we left the library. Time: ten thirty… Cool.

<center>Everyone is changing
there's no one left that's real
to make up your ending
and let me know just how you feel
cause I am lost without you
I cannot live at all
my whole world surrounds you
I stumble then I crawl
</center>

“Bye Kyle. Thanks for helping me.” I waved as he pulled away. I was glad that we were finished at the library as soon as we were because the heat was slowly starting to creep up. I took the combination out of my pocket that Kyle had given me and when the lock unlocked I took a big cleansing breath.

Tess, who was my archrival from day one. Now, she was gone and she was still causing havoc on the ones left behind. It just wasn’t fair. I bent down and pulled up on the orange garage door. The heat hit me like a ton of bricks. I just stood there for about ten minutes not doing or thinking about anything.

“Come on. If you can’t do it then no one can do it. Keep focus. Remember what she did to Alex. To everyone and what she might be doing right now to Max’s son.” There is nothing wrong with talking to myself since there was no one here to take my mind off of the inevitable.

I took a step in and started at the front. Boxes and boxes of clothes. Why on earth would Kyle keep them? I stood at the first box and then finally ripped into it… I’m lucky I was wearing a halter-top that tied around the neck… because if I had to open all of these boxes in anything heavier I would absolutely die. Then they could chalk one more human up dead because of Tess. I dug into my bag and found a pony tail holder and in an instant my hair was on the top of my head in no time.

I pulled everything out of the box. Nothing but clothes. I threw them back in and set it outside the storage facility. When I was done I would call Good Will and have them come pick everything up… Surely someone somewhere would love to get some new clothes.

<center>You could be my someone
you could be my sea
you know that I will save you
from all of the unclean
I wonder what you’re doing
I wonder where you are
There's oceans in between us
but that's not very far
</center>

I had ten boxes stacked up outside the storage facility door when my cell phone rang. “Hello?”

“Hi.” A deep sexy voice rang out that was music to my ears. “Are you still at the library? I can be there in ten minutes if you are.”

“Nope. I’m done with the library for today. I’m actually a little ahead of schedule than I thought I would be.” I looked at my watch it was one thirty-five. “Are you just now getting up?”

“Yeah, if someone wouldn’t have kept me out all night I probably would have gotten up before noon. How long have you been up?”

“Since nine. I didn’t want to waste the whole day sleeping… I will catch up on that tonight. That’s if someone doesn’t keep me up all night.” I was smiling and I started to feel like a dork. I felt like a little kid with a crush on the new kid in school.

“So where are you? I need to see that beautiful face.” How sweet…

I didn’t really want to tell him, but I knew that I had too. “I’m going through Tess’ things. You want to come help me? I’m getting tired lifting all of these boxes…”

“Why did you go by yourself? You should have called me I would have gone with you.”

“It’s not a problem Max. I’ve only gone through the boxes marked clothes and I pulled them out so when Good Will comes by they can pick them up. There’s no use keeping them…” I paused. What if he wanted them? I hadn’t thought about that. Who was I to say that we didn’t need to keep her clothes? I stiffened my posture and trudge forward with what I was going to say. “You didn’t want them did you?”

“God no, Liz. Why would I want them? If you are satisfied that there isn’t any clues in any of them then there is no need to keep them. It was a good decision.” I sighed. Thank you for answering the right way. When was I going to get over this insecurity that I had because of Tess? Hopefully pretty damn quick. I hated the way it makes me feel and I had sworn to myself that I wouldn’t go back to that. Ever.

<center>Nobody told me what you thought
nobody told me what to say
everyone showed you where to turn
told you where to runaway
nobody told you where to hide
nobody told you what to say
everyone showed you where to turn
showed you where to runaway
</center>

“Liz? Are you still there?”

“Oh, yeah. Sorry. I was just thinking.”

“What about?” I could hear it in his voice he thought I was thinking about him. How could I tell him that I was thinking about the way that Tess use to make me feel and just being here in this hot storage room was taking me back to that place in time.

“Well… not exactly. I was actually thinking that you wanted to keep her stuff and even now when she is gone I’m still worrying whether or not you should be with me.” There I said it. We swore to each other to tell the truth and to keep nothing from each other. If Max Evans couldn’t deal with what I had said then tough. Deal with it.

“Liz.” He paused. Evidently thinking about what I had said. “Don’t go through another box. I’m on my way.” Click… He hung up… Great. He didn’t want me going through her things without him being here. My mind began throwing out questions.

Is he afraid that I might find something personal that only the two of them shared?

Is he afraid that I might throw something away that was important?

Did he want me out of here so he could do it all by himself?

Question, after question ran through my mind before I knew it I was ripping box after box open and flinging her crap all over. Looking back if I had a chance to, I would say that I had to have looked like a mad woman by the time that Max had shown up.

“Liz! Liz! What are you doing? Liz.” He grabbed me by wrapping his strong arms around me and turned me into his chest. I was sobbing like a little child. How did this happen? Tears were flowing from my eyes like the waters fall at Niagara Falls. I was pathetic. How could this happen? “Shhh, babe. It’s okay… She’s gone… We can do this as long as we are together. We will make sure that we get through this… I promise you…” My sobs grew louder and the tears were heavier but Max didn’t move. He rubbed my back and just held me tight.

A few moments later I pulled back and wiped away my tears. So much for being strong. I finally had the nerve to look into his eyes. They were filled with just as much sadness that was in my heart. “She hurt us all and we all didn’t make it out alive. I can’t help but think that we won’t be ready for her when she returns.”

“We will be. Who knows, the way that you are working on getting information we might be able to surprise her as well as Khivar on our home planet. Don’t give up just yet. Everything has a way of working out. Especially now that we have found each other.” He grasped my chin so that I couldn’t look away. “I love you Liz and nothing’s not going to happen to us as long as we are together.”

“You’re being naïve Max. We’re teenagers and half of us don’t even have any super human abilities. How do you expect to beat a whole alien nation with just a handful of us? Think about it. I have.”

“You’re right. A handful of us isn’t going to help but if we can get in contact with my people we might stand a chance. All I’m asking is that you hang in there. Do you have any idea how much I depend on you? If you crumble I won’t be able to make it. I know this is a lot to put on your shoulders but I need you, Liz. Please.”

<center>Explain again to me
you take it all
you take it all away...
explain again to me
you take it all away
explain again to me
take it all away
explain again

Blurry by Puddle of Mudd
</center>

A sense of belonging came over me as well as an unbelievable urge to kiss Max. He must have felt it too because in one smooth motion we were both being pulled to each other and the kiss that followed was absolutely amazing.

~*~FLASH~*~

I couldn’t believe it. Our first vision since our reunion. It went by so fast that when Max tried to pull away I grabbed on as if my life depended on it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Bordersinsanity
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 12 — Everywhere

I pulled back and put my hands up to my lips. They were burning with fire. “What?” Max was looking at me with deep concern in his eyes. I just took a moment to compose myself and before I could answer him he asked again. “Liz. What’s wrong?”

“I’m not for sure. Kiss me again.” He did. Nothing. “I’m not sure Max but I had a flash.”

“A flash?”

“Yeah. It went by so fast and I wasn’t ready for it so I don’t really remember what it was.” I paused trying to recall what blurred my vision for a few seconds during our kiss. “There’s something here.”

“What do you mean? Did you see what it was?”

“No. It’s more like a feeling. I know there is something that has to do with her stuff, something that’s important.” I looked at him. We were in for a long haul if the visions weren’t going to be anymore clearer than the first one. Yes there will be more. “Max. It’s happening again. Like the time we were looking for the orb. I feel the pull between us but this time it’s much stronger. Much more stronger.” I lick my lips and I was suddenly filled with the sensation to have Max close to me. Not even thinking about where I was I practically attacked his body.

His arms wrapped around my bare back as mine went up the front of his T-shirt. Our lips were locked and our tongues were searching every crevice they could find. The pit of my stomach was flip-flopping and my body was burning with desire. Everywhere he touched me was on fire and the places that weren’t in contact with his skin were ice cold and filled with want. My body was yearning to be touched and whatever was calling to us made us loose all concepts of the things we were doing.

<center>Turn it inside out so I can see
The part of you that's drifting over me
And when I wake you're never there
But when I sleep you're everywhere
You're everywhere
</center>

We must have walked deeper into the storage facility and our bodies fell to the floor on a conveniently placed beanbag. At least that’s what I think it is… It’s really hard to tell with everything calling for me to pay attention to Max. He must have forgotten what I had told him about there being something here, because his hands were roaming as if he was just getting to know me for the very first time.

His lips parted from mine and they continued down my jaw to my neck. It was busy rubbing circles in my neck when,

~*~FLASH~*~

This time I was ready. I actually felt it coming. Weird. There wasn’t any sound like there was the time before with the orb, at least none that I was registering. The first scene was a flash of earth from space. We were in space coming uncontrollable down to earth. We were in the spaceship. This flash I had seen the once before. The time we were in the eraser room making out. As soon as I registered what the scene was it switched to another one.

I really don’t want to tell you what the next one was. I find it really hard to believe that she could ever invade the precious moments between Max and I, but it is important. The next scene was of Tess. Yes, Tess. I immediately wanted to pull away to stop it. I didn’t want to see Tess every time I kissed Max. No. I started to pull away and that’s when I saw the flash wasn’t of Tess but of a box that she had kept on the vanity in Kyle’s room. There it was as plain as day. She was putting a piece of paper in the lining of it.

I jerked away from Max. We had done what was needed to find whatever it was that was calling to us. I pushed him off of me and started opening boxes like a mad woman.

“Liz? What did you see?” If I were to look back on the moment between Max and I, I probably would have done it differently. I didn’t even acknowledge him. I just kept on ripping open box after box.

“Where did you pack that damn thing Kyle?” I was talking out load. Hearing my own voice must have knocked some sense in me for I stopped in mid-motion and looked at Max. The look on his face was one that I hoped that I never saw again. He was scared of me. I straightened myself and smoothed some hair back that had fallen loose during our groping session. Yes, I will call it a groping session. I wouldn’t want to call it anything else because it wasn’t just us it was something alien that was running our movements. When I had regained composure I began to fill Max in on the situation. “Max…” I paused for emphasis to let him know that I was in control again. I took a few steps closer to him and he stepped back.

“Don’t,” he said. I didn’t understand. It must have shown on my face that I had been hurt by his actions, because he took a step back to where he was. “It’s not that I don’t want to touch you, it’s just that I’m scared to touch you. Look what it’s done to you Liz. You’re running around a ten by fifteen storage room like a mad woman.

“I know you think that I have gone mad but if you saw what I saw you would know what that would do to me. That thought did cross my mind too. I don’t think I could handle seeing her every time we touched or even kissed.”

“You saw Tess?”

“Yes. I saw her in Kyle’s room. She had this little wooden box that had alien engravings on it and it was lined with red satin. Underneath the lining is a paper clipping or something. I’m not really sure. We need to find that box Max.”

I expected him to start tearing open boxes like I was doing earlier but he just stood there. After a brief moment of looking at each other we both took a step closer to one another and wrapped each other in our arms. We said nothing; just the act of holding was enough. At that moment it was understood that we would never really be rid of Tess. She was forever a thorn in our side and we wouldn’t let her get in between us ever again.

“Together till the end Liz… Remember.” He melted all doubts away and I pulled back to look once again in his gorgeous face of his.

“I’ll remember Max.” I smiled a small smile at him and then continued. “Let’s hurry up and find that box so we can finally get rid of all her things once and for all.”

<center>Just tell me how I got this far
Just tell me why you're here and who you are
'Cause every time I look
you're never there
And every time I sleep
you're always there
</center>

He kissed my forehead and then turned and started at the closest box. We opened practically all of them by the time my cell phone rang.

“Hello.”

“You’re in… I hope you and Evans have something to wear.” What on earth was Kyle talking about and then it dawned on me.

“Really? Great!” I covered the mouthpiece to my phone and said. :”It’s Kyle he got us in on the private viewing of the Maclaine mansion.”

“Great. Ask him if he knows where the box is so we can get out of this place.” Good idea.

“Hey Kyle I was wondering if you ever saw Tess’ wooden box that she kept on the vanity in her room? We’ve gone through practically everything and haven’t come across it yet.”

He was really quiet for a moment. “I have the box.”

“Why did you keep it?”

“There was a few personal things in there that she had kept and it reminded me of better times. I don’t know. It’s hard, real hard Liz for me to hate her. Especially when I look at the things that she kept dear to her.”

“I know. It’s going to be ok. Umm, look Max and I will be there in ten minutes what we’ve been looking for is in that box. Ok.” I waited to hear his answer.

“Ok… I’ll be here.”

“Thanks Kyle… “ He knew what I meant at least I hope he did. He had kept something of hers to remind him of the girl he fell in love with not the alien that betrayed us all. Who could blame him? We all wanted to love someone and be loved back in return. We all had faults. We were human.

I slapped the phone shut and looked at Max. He was patiently waiting for me to tell him what our next move was. “He’s got the box at his house. Let’s shut this place up.” I turned and started for the office. “I’m just going to tell the office that they can have goodwill come pick this stuff up.” I looked at my watch and it was almost four o’clock in the afternoon. Time had flown by and I was getting hungry.

<center>'Cause you're everywhere to me
And when I close my eyes it's you I see
You're everything I know
that makes me believe
I'm not alone
I'm not alone
</center>

“Come on in you guys.” Kyle was at the door leading us to the couch. “Well… here it is.” It was true… There on the coffee table, that sat in front of the couch and between the TV, was the box.

“Thanks Kyle. I really appreciate you letting us see this. I know how important it is to you.” I gave him my sympathetic smile and then sat down on the couch in front of the damn box. Max and Kyle both followed suit.

No one moved we just sat there in front of this small wooden box about the size of those little jewelry boxes that had the twirling ballerina in them. I finally took charge and opened it up. So far so good. Nothing happened when I opened it up. I didn’t want to invade into Kyle’s memory of Tess so I hurriedly pulled the photos, corsage, probably from prom, and the rest of the stuff out. I gently placed it all on the table in front of Kyle.

I took one more look at Kyle because I was about to rip the lining out of the only thing that he held on to of Tess. I took a deep breath and thought to myself that Max would be able to mend anything that I had damaged. I ripped the lining out and there it was just like it was in the flash. I folded piece of paper and a piece of metal. I pulled the two things out and handed the box back to Max. “Fix it for him please.” He did and I handed it back to Kyle. “Here you go Kyle. Thanks for all your help.”

“What that’s? I want to know what that is.” He pointed to the two items that I held in my hand.

I unfolded the piece of paper. It was in Tess’ handwriting.

Michael gave me this piece of metal. It’s from our ship. He said that some airforce guy named Hal had given it to him and he didn't want it at his place so he asked me to hang on to it. While looking at it I noticed that there is no way to destroy this piece of metal. It made me wonder how they were able to get a little piece of metal off the ship. If this piece of metal is able to reform itself back to original form then maybe our ship might be able to mend itself.

I stopped reading the note and looked at Max. “If this is true…” I broke off.

“The ship is repairable?”

“Cool.” Kyle had to add his two cents in.

“You can’t know that by this little piece. If we had two pieces, maybe… but you can’t make that assumption by one piece alone Max. It’s not scientific.”

“It’s all I’ve got Liz. It’s the only way left to get home. We’ll find a way to make it work. I know we can. Maybe if we can find another piece we might find out that they can be put back together. Maybe we can help it along just like we do with everything else.” He was up now pacing back and forth in front of the TV. “What else does the paper say?” I take it that Max is a better thinker on his feet.

I looked at the paper and read on to the next entry. That’s what it was she was researching and writing things down as she goes.

We now know where the Granolith is but we have no idea how it works. The destiny book is the only thing that we have and I think I’m going to get Alex to work on it… If I do it right no one will suspect that I am using him. I need to think of a plan on getting him out of Roswell while he works on the translation.

“It doesn’t sound that she purposely set out to harm Alex… I don’t know what happened.” Kyle was still searching to find a way to make Tess the person he always thought she was. I think we all had at one time or another.

“It doesn’t matter if she didn’t mean to hurt him. We trusted her; all she had to do was ask and I’m sure we would have helped.” I know what I was saying but I don’t really believe the words that are coming from my mouth. I stood up and had started pacing the floor. Max had been silent while Kyle and I hashed out our differences about Tess. “Max? What are you thinking about?”

“Nothing.” I waited for him to say something else. I can’t believe he already forgot about our pact. No secrets and no lies… Maybe it just had to do with Kyle. I need to remind myself to push the issue later.

<center>I recognize the way you make me feel
It's hard to think that
you might not be real
I sense it now, the water's getting deep
I try to wash the pain away from me
Away from me
</center>

“Come on. Let’s go…” I was walking towards the door.

“Hey, don’t you want me to take you guys to Hondo so you can buy that car?” I guess I was the only one that knew that car dealerships aren’t open on Sunday’s. Kyle didn’t know and I looked at Max and saw that he hadn’t thought about it either.

“No. Can’t buy the car today. The dealerships aren’t open on Sunday’s. How about tomorrow?”

“We can’t wait too long because we are going to need a car to get to the Maclaine residence.” Max’s first words. He was in another place right now and it was starting to bother me. A little… Just a little.

“Yeah, sure. I’ll take you guys tomorrow and will work on the Hal theory. Anyone seen Michael lately?”

“He had the weekend off. I haven’t seen him since Maria came back.” It was true. I looked at Max and he just shrugged his shoulders. Interesting. I sense something is wrong amongst the pod people…

You're everything I know
that makes me believe
I'm not alone
I'm not alone
I am not alone
Whoa, oh, oooh, oh
</center>

Max and I left Kyle’s. “Do you want to come get something to eat at the Crashdown?” I wanted him to open up to me.

“Um, I can’t. I promised Mom that I would be home for Sunday dinner.” He wrapped his arms around my waist and we got into his dad’s car. “I’ll drive you home.”

The drive home was really quiet. I turned in my seat so that I was facing him. I really wanted to bring up the fact that he was thinking about something that involved both of us and he wasn’t telling me anything. “You promised.” I was hoping that would jog his memory of last night.

“Excuse me?” Evidently not.

“We promised.” One more try.

“What?”

He was starting to get at me. “I don’t know what is going around in that mind of yours, but you better let me in on it or you can forget about me being around anymore. I don’t know how to make you realize that there is no more you and I. It’s us, Max. US. Whatever you do, we do. Now I can only guess what you are thinking. I have to assume that it’s about Tess and your son. I’m not going to let her run my life anymore and I can only hope that you don’t let her run your life as well.” Any time now he can but in. I was waiting.

<center>And when I touch your hand
It's then I understand
The beauty that's within
It's now that we begin
You always light my way
I hope there never comes a day
No matter where I go
I always feel you so
</center>

We were now stopped outside the Crashdown. I was waiting for him to say something. Anything will do. I took one more look at him and began to open up my door. “Liz, wait. You’re right. I didn’t want to hurt your feelings. I thought that the search for my son was over, but that was before this. How was I to know that we would be able to find another way home? I always thought that someone would end up coming for us, not the other way around. I’m confused. I confessed my undying love for you and thought that I had dealt with everything but when I talked to Michael this morning he didn’t want to hear it. They’re happy here on Earth and they don’t want me… us stirring up any trouble.”

“Wait. Let me get this straight. You talked to Michael today about there being another way home and that we were trying to find it.” He shook his head up and down. “What exactly did he say?” He better tell me or I will do some serious damage if he doesn’t.

“I did tell him that we may have found another key and that we were looking into the reason why there might be and he cut me off.”

“What? Why did he cut you off?” Something was definitely wrong. I was hoping that Max would elaborate. I looked at him with my ‘give me something’ look.

“Well, I will start at the beginning. When we were getting ready to leave he was going to stay. He was going to stay for Maria. I can’t blame him. He’s always wanted to have a family and right now he has that in Maria. I don’t know for sure but I think that he has told Maria that he’s not looking for a way home. Why should he? I can’t blame him.”

“That makes no sense at all Max. Just because he will be staying when you go home to find your son doesn’t mean that he can’t help you.”

“I think it’s more than that. I think it has something to do with Isabel as well.” Now this was getting good. He must have seen me question why Isabel was acting strange. “She still blames me for Alex.”

“That’s ridiculous I don’t even blame you for Alex.” It was true even when I thought that Alex’s death was alien related not once did I blame Max.

“I know. We haven’t been the same since. His death took a lot out of her and I think what the problem is, is that she needed me and I wasn’t there. I failed everyone and it all comes around to me being with Tess. I don’t know what I was thinking alienating everyone like that. Even Kyle was there for her more than I was. How can I be any kind of leader if my judgement can be swayed so easily.”

“Max. Look at me. They need time to heal but you have to make them see what their actions will cause if they don’t get their heads into the game. If we don’t beat Tess to the punch everything that we have now or will have later is for nothing.” They were all acting like children. We can’t hide our heads in the sand and hope that the evil aliens will pass us by…”We have to be ready and I’m not going to let their child like attitude get us all killed.” I can’t help but say it again. This is fucking ridiculous. “Look. I’m going to go inside and relax. This is just unbelievable. We all need to be on the same page and it’s a good thing that you promised your mom that you would eat Sunday dinner at home.” I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and then pushed open my door. I was shaking my head no because I couldn’t believe how selfish everyone was being. I heard Max drive off and I didn’t even look back. I was starting to feel bad for the way I took the other’s problems out on him, but after thinking about it I wasn’t. He was their leader after all and it was time for him to lead, damn it.

You're everything I know
that makes me believe
I'm not alone
'Cause you're everywhere to me
And when I catch my breath
it's you I breathe
You're everything I know
that makes me believe
I'm not alone
</center>

I walked into the Crashdown and glanced around to make sure that I saw everyone. I hadn’t done it since Max and I had gotten back together and after hearing how Michael and Isabel were acting I couldn’t take the chance of letting Max get the better of me too. Everyone looked familiar with the exception of one man sitting at the corner booth. I hadn't seen him in town before and it really is weird for someone to be travelling alone. People just didn’t take vacations alone unless maybe he was a businessman. That could be. I would have to ask Agnes if she had seen him before.

I walked upstairs. “Mom… Dad… I’m home.” No answer. Interesting. I go to the kitchen table and notice that there is a note on it.

Liz.
Your dad and I went out to eat but thought that we would let you know just in case you got home early. If you get hungry there is left over chicken and potatoes in the refrigerator.
Love
Mom

<center>You're in everyone I see
So tell me
Do you see me?

Everywhere by Michelle Branch
</center>

That worked out pretty well. No one was home and Max had plans. I had new information that I needed to sort out and maybe tonight would be a good time for me to see what is up with Maria. She’s been back for three days now and I haven’t heard anything from her. Before I call her, let me eat, shower and change into something more comfortable.

Then it would be time for me to get things straightened out between us. Hopefully. Who knows?

Bordersinsanity
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 13 — Live Your Life (Down)

I had called the Deluca residence and found out that Maria was in fact at home. I told Amy not to tell her that I was on my way over. I wanted to surprise her. I visited the freezer and grabbed our favorite ice cream and then headed for the only best friend that I had left.

Dressed in sweat shorts and a t-shirt and armed with a brown paper sack full of Ben and Jerry ice cream I was now on her porch. I pushed on the doorbell and waited.

“I’ll get it mom.” Maria called out. The door swung open and we stood there for an awkward moment. Was she going to say anything? Nope. I guess I will start it off.

“I’ve missed my ice cream loving, over reacting, high strung, who really knows me buddy. I think I’m in too deep and I need to get some things off my chest. Have you seen this person known as Liz’s best friend lately?” I was trying to break the ice. It had been a long time since we’ve had a good chat.

She said nothing. She stepped forward and embraced me. “Come in. Let’s see if we can find… Let me see did you say high strung, over reacting?”

“No… I said over reacting, high strung.”

“Ok…because I don’t think I know a high strung, over reacting person, but who knows you might be able to find her in my room.” I’m thinking to myself that I had made a good call in seeking Maria’s advice. Who knows I might be able to see what the deal is between Max, Michael and Isabel?

“Well it might help if you told her that I have her favorite Ben and Jerry’s ice cream in this sack.” I held up the sack and rattled it a little.

“Oh, hi Liz. Haven’t seen you around lately. How have you been.” Maria’s mom was heading out the door.

“Good. I’ve been good.”

“That’s good. Maria I’m going over to Jim’s he wanted me to see something. I don’t know exactly what he has in mind but it was all mysterious and all.” I wonder if it is the oak table? I doubt it. I don’t think that he would have time to finish it. It’s only been three days since I last seen him.

“Ok mom. Have fun.” Amy left and Maria grabbed the sack out of my hands and we ran into the kitchen to fetch a couple of spoons. “Bovinity Divinity! Ok… what have you done with my best friend?” She was only joking. Maria knew that I only broke out the Ben and Jerry’s when times were really tough.

<center>if you live your life
if you live your life this way
it's gonna change
it's gonna change time and time again
</center>

We were in her room now. I was sitting on the hot pink beanbag and she was sprawled across her bed with the already open carton of ice cream.

“I’ve missed our talks, Maria. It’s been a really hard summer and things have changed. I’m not the same small town girl that you used to know.” I paused to see if she understood where I was going. “I know this is a sore subject for you but I need a place to start and the only place I know where to begin is at Alex’s death.” I said it. I took the chance the ice cream would ease the pain.

Nothing. Her face was emotionless and the spoon was in mid-dip between the carton and her mouth. “I know. I’m sorry, but we have to move on. We can’t ignore it for the rest of our lives. That’s the part of me that has changed. I’ve harden quite a bit and I’m finding myself starting to fall back into where everything could be like it was before. It can’t Maria.”

“Wait. I’m lost. You said that you were starting from the beginning. This doesn’t sound like the beginning to me.”

She was right. I had already skimmed over everything and had gotten to the part of where I am now. It wasn’t fair. Ok… Start at the beginning. I took a deep breath. “I had lost everyone. First of all, Max… and Alex to Tess… I lost you to Michael and then Sean decided that he couldn’t stay and watch me loose myself.” Looking over what I said I realized that I didn’t make any sense… Come on Parker this is Maria the Maria that has been there for always. She will understand and if she doesn’t then you’ve been doing pretty good so far with out her.

“Sorry. I jumped ahead a little bit. When Tess came my perfect little world crumbled. When Future Max showed up, my heart crumbled. When I saw Max kissing Tess on prom night my soul died and when Alex died there was nothing left to give except what was barely there. What I’m about to say may hurt you at first but I promise you now if you listen to what I’m about to say I think we can make it. I mean our friendship can make it.” I looked at her with pleading eyes. Please Maria don’t shy away from the truth. Don’t hide anymore in ignorance. She shook her head in acknowledgement.

I continued. “I know you blamed me for messing with Sean’s mind. It wasn’t fair and I just wanted to say that without him I probably would not be the person I am today. Everything happens for a reason I know that now.”

“Liz… I don’t blame you for Sean. He’s a big boy and can do what he wants to. I was just a little disappointed that I wasn’t the one comforting you. Now. What’s going on… What are you trying to say?”

“Let me ask you a question.” She nodded and motioned with her hand to come on with it already. “Do you think we are safe now that Tess is gone and the skins are defeated?”

“Well, yeah. Why?”

“Don’t you think that they will come back? Come back to get the rest of them?”

“I hadn’t really thought about it.

<center>i cannot find the reason
why my life is all right
but i just can't stop the pain
</center>

“That’s all I’ve been doing all summer. Sure Tess is gone but anyone would be a fool to think that things will be normal. They’ll be back and there will be more of them. Why is it I’m the only one that thinks this is plausible?”

“Look. I don’t know what you’ve been doing and just because we choose to act like normal teenagers for once in a very long time doesn’t mean that we don’t think of the possibilities.”

“Good. That’s what I wanted to hear. I know I’ve taken my new attitude out on Michael a few times and I was hoping that it wasn’t all for nothing, but Max said something to me today that is rather disturbing.”

“Wait! When did you and Max start talking?” I guess I didn’t get a chance to start from the beginning.

“Well, you know Friday when you guys went to the movies and Max stayed behind.” I waited for her to acknowledge it. “Well, he went with me to get this.” I lifted up my shirt and showed off the silver ring with black bead the hung snugly in my belly button.

“Oh my God! Liz. You didn’t. Did it hurt? What made you decide to do this?”

“Ok. First, I did do it. Second, it didn’t hurt that much because Max healed me as he held my hand. I about killed him for it. I’m not doing all these things that I have thought about doing forever, to get the effect of the whole thing diminished so the alien prince can feel better.”

“He healed you. Did you guys have any flashes like before?”

“Nope, no flashes. I didn’t even know that he had done it. Until yesterday. Anyway.” I pulled a piece of hair back behind my ear and continued. I reminded myself that I really needed to stop that habit. “Where was I… oh yeah. Third the reason I’m doing this is because of Max. I mean future Max.”

“I don’t understand.” She was about the third of the way down the carton of ice cream and I had hardly eaten any of my Best Vanilla.

“Ok… Future Max came back to me to tell me that the End of the World happened because Max and I alienated Tess.” Bad use of words but who cares. “She left because of us. Well he was from the year 2014, thirteen years from now. In thirteen years the world should end.”

“But it’s not. You changed the future.”

“Did I really? Tess is still gone but now instead of just leaving Roswell she’s taken the Granolith back to the home world. We won’t have thirteen years before the end of the world this time Maria. It’s going to come much sooner and catch us off guard if we’re not ready.”

“What do you mean?”

<center>look into your heart
look into your mind
look into your soul
let it go and you don't know
what to say
</center>

“They’ve built one ship and have sent it to earth already, don’t you think that it is possible that there is another one ready to go again? Think about it. They spent the first fifty years looking for Max, Michael and Isabel, we won’t have the luxury of them taking that long this time. They know where we are and they know what they look like. I’ve been wracking my brain trying to find a way to calculate their return but haven’t had any luck. I’ve been wracking my brain trying to find a way to get them back and until this week I hadn’t had any luck.”

“Wait. Michael’s not going back. We’ve agreed. He promised.” She was up off the bed now and was pacing the floor. “Damn him. He lied to me. He said that he didn’t care and that Max and Isabel could do what ever they wanted to do. He’s was staying with me. He promised.” She practically had tears in her eyes.

I stood up and went to her. I wrapped her up in my arms and said soothing things that I didn’t even know I was saying. “Maria, we have to be strong. If you love him then you will push him to find another way home.”

“No. I won’t do it.”

“You have to do it.” I started shaking her back and forth. “Listen to me. They will come back and not only will they kill the ones we love but they will probably kill the ones they love just to get to them. Do you understand me? Be strong.” I was still shaking her with every word that was coming out of my mouth.

“What’s happened Liz? Why are you like this?”

<center>run away run away
with the pain that i told you
once i could not spare
its only satisfaction now
this time of the year
</center>

“You want to know why I’m like this? I’m like this because if we don’t stop acting like normal teenagers everyone and everything that we hold precious to us will be gone. We only have five to ten years, if we’re lucky, before the evil guys are back on earth. Believe me Maria they will start right here in Roswell. No if, ands or buts. They are coming for us.” I was now pacing the room. “I’ve found another key like the one that started the Granolith. We’ve found a piece of metal that Michael had given to Tess for safekeeping. She believes that the ship might be repairable. So does Max. I’m thinking that the key I have recently found is for their ship.”

She was quiet. Too quiet if you ask me. I turned and looked at my best friend that I had just shredded to pieces. This really wasn’t the way I wanted it to happen but what’s done is done and we will have to mend one fence at a time. How could I get through to her that it wasn’t logical, or even the right thing, for the aliens to give up on going home. I know this was their home now and we are their family but the rest of the world didn’t ask for an alien war to be waged on this planet. Hell ninety percent of the population didn’t even believe in aliens. It just wasn’t fair for the three of them to make the decision for billions of people.

<center>run away run away
with the pain that i told you
once i could not spare
its only satisfaction was fear
</center>

“Maria… I need you now more than anything. I don’t know what to do. My heart is saying one thing and my mind is making me do something completely different.”

“What.” She had been crying and still was. She wiped at her eyes. “What do you want?”

“Max knows about Future Max.”

“What? How?”

“I’m not really sure how it happened but when we were in Hondo at the jewelry shop that my belly ring came from we shared a dream. Maybe I should say we shared the memory. It doesn’t really matter how anymore. What matters is that we are back together and Tess is gone. The two main things that I set out to make sure wouldn’t happen has and now more than ever I believe the fate that I thought I had changed is inevitably on its way back.”

“You and Max are back together?”

“Yep.”

if you live your life this way it's gonna change
if you live your life
</center>

“How?”

“One thing led to another but mostly the Indian woman helped the most. Once he realized what had happened between Kyle and me there was no way of stopping it. I’m happy but I’m not. We’ve vowed not to have anything come between us but I can’t help feeling insecure.”

Maria had an expression on her face and that expression told me what was on her mind. “No. We haven’t had sex yet.” I smacked her arm. I was serious now. “Maria, I’m scared. You know how I told you that when Max healed me that we didn’t have any flashes.” She shook her head, yes. “Well, That changed today.”

“What do you mean.”

“I got another flash. I think there is something out there that is calling to Max and I just like the orb did. Like right now, I’m having a really hard time staying here. There’s something pulling me to him. The force is pulling me to be with Max.”

“I just don’t get it. Why does it always happen to you? You have all the luck.”

“No I don’t. I would give anything to know that the reason Max and I are together is because of us and not some lost alien artifact that wants to be found. I would give anything to know for sure that the feelings that Max has for me is more than a way of finding a way home to his son. You don’t know how lucky you are.” I meant it and I think she got my point.

“All the times I thought you and Max had something special, I never thought about it that way. I’m sorry Liz.”

“Don’t be. This time is different. He’s finally given me all of him and I plan on holding him to his word.”

“What do you mean?”

“We’ve pledged not to keep any secrets from each other and to tell each other what is going on.” That reminded me I really needed to go check on Max I have this feeling that there is something more than him and Michael not getting along.

“That’s great. I’m really happy for you. Now if we could get Isabel over her hump maybe things could be like they were before.’ Hello… didn’t she just hear what I said. Nothing can be like it used to be.

“Maria, it won’t ever be like it was before. It can’t. We have to be prepared. We have to be the best we can be.” I sounded like an army commercial. But when you think about it that’s exactly the state of mind we needed right now. We were no longer high school kids who was worried about whether or not someone liked the way we dressed or what someone thought about who you were seeing, we needed to be prepared for war. It was coming and time was something we couldn’t take for granted.

“You know what I mean. You take everything so personal.”

“Maria, you’re not helping me at all. I came over here for some girl bonding. I’ve missed you.” I guess that must have been what she was waiting for because she launched at me and hugged me so hard that I almost couldn’t breathe. I patted her on her back… “Maria… Maria… I can’t breathe.”

“Oh, sorry. I’m glad you’re back, but you aren’t really back are you?”

I shook my head no. “No, Maria. I won’t ever be the person I was before this all happened. It wasn’t healthy and when looking back I don’t want to be that person again. I was weak and naïve.”

<center>always breaking off
i would forget it anyway
trying to run from myself
and at the same time fade away
never bothered to
never bothered you
never bothered me
when i left and i said
what i had to say
</center>

“Ok. What do you want me to do? What do we need to do to get ready?” That a girl. I knew I could count on her.

“Well… “ I thought about it. “I need you to work on Michael. He’s going through life like there is no worry. You need to make him see that by helping us find the ship he’s not breaking his promise to you to stay. He doesn’t have to go back with Max. Hopefully the ship can get us in contact with others that can help us. I know I said that we can’t be the way we used to be but we need to be the unit we were before Tess showed up. We worked well together. We have to believe in each other and we need to communicate. There is no more separation. It’s us or no one.”

<center>run away
run away with the pain
that i told you
once i could not spare
its only satisfaction now
this time of the year
</center>

Maria was smiling now. The tears that had once trailed down her cheek had dried up. She wrapped me up into another hug. “I love you Liz. I don’t know what we would do without you.”

“I love you Maria , even though I don’t always show it. You’re my best friend and I’m the way I am because I want you safe as well as the others. It’s our time now. No more waiting. We need to act and do instead of sit and wait.”

That was the best I could do. I did love her. She was family to me and I didn’t want anything happening to her like I did with Alex. No more mister nice guy.

My ice cream had all melted into vanilla mush and I had looked at Maria’s cup and it was completely empty. I never understood how she could pack ice cream away that easily. It was Maria and I had missed her so much.

<center>run away
run away with the pain
that i told you once
i could not spare
its only satisfaction was fear
i told you before i opened you up
and then you shut me down
</center>

I left Maria’s house with a spring in my step. The world was on its way of becoming a place that I could stand to live in. Max and I were all good. Maria and I were all good. Maria and Michael were all good. The only problem that I had to face was what was going on with Michael, Isabel and Max. I wasn’t a psychologist and I didn’t know how to fix it but something needed to be done.

I looked at my phone. It was almost nine o’clock. I hope Max was in his room. I didn’t feel like meeting his parents right now. What would they think about Max and I so soon after him and Tess?

I went home to put something else on. I’m sure that Max wouldn’t mind me in my grungies but I didn’t want him seeing me like this. I still got butterflies every time I was around him. I ran up the stairs and opened up the door and was surprised to be greeted by my parents.

“Hi honey.”

“Hi mom.” Great. How was I going to get out of the house with them home?

“How’s Maria?”

“Good dad. We had a long talk. Everything is back to normal.”

“That’s good. What are you going to do now?”

“Well, I was going to go over to Max’s and watch a movie. If that’s ok with you? I won’t be too late because we didn’t get a chance to go to Hondo to get his car and we were going to do that tomorrow.”

My mom and dad looked at each other. I’m sure they communicated volumes with no use of words. That’s what being married for over twenty years can do to a couple. Mom pleaded with her eyes and dad gave in with a sigh. “Ok. As long as you aren’t too late. I’m sure his parents don’t appreciate a house full of kids when they have to get up early in the morning.”

“No problem dad.” I ran into my room and changed into a pair of jeans and a different shirt. I looked at myself… Surprise, surprise, I was in my traditional black. I kept my hair in a ponytail and slid the choker on. Eat your heart out Max.

I was almost to the door when mom hollered. “Liz, honey… Why don’t you take the car? I don’t like you walking alone at night.” Wow… ok, who abducted my parents? I want to thank them.

You’re right. I’m taking it out on them too hard. All parents love their children and wish that they would never grow up but this was just too weird. I grabbed the keys off the key rack that hung by the door. “Thanks mom. I won’t be out too late.”

I ran down the side stairs and got into the car that my parents owned. Nothing too fancy it was transportation. Pretty soon we wouldn’t have to rely on our parents vehicles because Max was finally getting a new car. One more day.

I started it and backed out of the alley took a right and was well on my way to Max’s house. When I was almost there I realized that by my parents giving me the car I would have to park it somewhere and if I didn’t want he Evans’ to know about me talking to Max I would have to park it some place out of site. I decided my parents were genius’ they knew exactly what they were doing when they gave me the car.

I took a deep breath and parked in the drive anyway. A few more steps and I would be at the door. Ring the doorbell and wait. “Liz, how nice to see you. It’s been so long.”

“Hi, Mrs. Evans. Thanks… Is Max here?”

She moved aside to give me enough room to enter the house. “Let me get him for you.” She walked back to the edge of the hallway and hollered. “Max. There’s someone here to see you.” We waited. He didn’t come down.

if you live your life
</center>

“Max! Liz is here.” She started walking toward his room. “I’ll go get him for you. Why don’t you have a seat on the couch.” She disappeared.

I had to say that this was going rather well. What on earth could Max be doing? I wonder if he had sneaked out? If he did where did he go? During the time that Diane was gone my mind played out several scenarios. I looked around the room. Where was everyone? Isabel? Phillip? No one was in the living room. They were probably in their rooms like Max was. I guess it was pretty late. Hopefully I wouldn’t be here that long.

I really needed to find out what was eating at Max. “He’s on his way out. I don’t think he was expecting you.” She was tactful.

“No he wasn’t. I just needed to ask him something that’s all.”

“He’s cleaning his room right now. I think he’s nervous that you are here. I know I said this already but it really is nice to see you and Max as friends. I’m not sure what happened but I’m glad that everything is back to normal. Now if you can work on Isabel that would be great. She just hasn’t been the same since… well you know.”

I shook my head up and down and gave a small sympathetic smile. Isabel was always hard to reach. Alex was the first one of us to reach her. I would have to think about a way of getting through to here.

if you live your life
</center>

What was taking him so long? Just as I had finished the thought he walked out. “Hey.” He was wearing a smile I didn’t really notice too much else. I was glad that he had a smile on instead of a worried look. “What are you doing here?” Did he really have to ask?

“Um… Can we go outside and talk?”

“Sure.” We went through the kitchen to the back yard. Wow. His mother must really love gardening. The back yard had almost every corner filled with roses.

“Wow. It’s so peaceful back here. Your mom must really know how to take care of flowers.”

He was laughing under his breath. “Not really. Isabel and I usually have to make sure they survive. We haven’t found anything that she can do. She tries to cook and she meddles in the yard but other than that we have no clue.”

“Max. Your mother’s gift is her patience and her heart. Nothing else is important.”

“I know. You’re right.” Here it comes. The awkward silence. “So Liz, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing. How about you?” I felt like such a dork.

“Nothing.”

“Really? I’m just wondering. I had a good talk with Maria.”

“Really? That’s good.”

“Yeah, it was good. I think I may have figured out why Michael was so adamant about not wanting to hear about the … you know… stuff.” Could never be too careful.

“Really? What?”

“Well,” how do I go about telling him that he doesn’t want to leave Maria behind, unlike him who will probably leave me behind? I shook my head. I wasn’t going to do this. Be strong. “He doesn’t want to leave Maria behind.”

“I already knew that but that’s not a very good reason not to support me?” If I didn’t look like a fool already I should have slapped my forehead. I knew he already knew that. Duh.

“I agree.” Damn him. “Max?”

“Yeah?” He turned his head and looked at me. I think he already knew what I was going to say. He closed the distance between us and I was now wrapped in his strong arms.

Live your Life (Down) by Tantric
</center>

“Will you leave me here when you go?” There I said it. There’s no turning back now.

“Liz.” I could tell he was thinking hard about what he was going to tell me but I didn’t have to wait too long. “I already told you. Together till the end. Remember?”

That was the perfect Max thing to say. As usual. “I know. But Max. What’s the end? I mean what are you considering the end? You know it could be when we find your ship. It could mean when we make contact with your home. It could mean when we know your son is safe or you have him back. Or…” I hesitated not looking in his eyes. I realized that I was slowly slipping into that girl that I used to be. I depended too much on him. It wasn’t fair to me and it wasn’t fair to him.

He tilted my head so I had no choice but to look at him. “The end is the end Liz. I’m not for sure when or where that will be but I do know that I’m not living without you. I tried once and was miserable. Never again, never again will we be separated.”

“Really?”

“Really.” He leaned down and kissed me.

The kiss deepened and I felt the heat rise between us and before I could pull away from him I had another flash.

~*~FLASH~*~

I pulled away. “Max.”

Bordersinsanity
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 14 — Wouldn’t you Believe

“Liz? What did you see?”

“Max?” This flash was different than the other time. He reached for me and I backed away. “Don’t I need to think.”

“Liz. Please don’t shut me out.”

“I’m not Max. Just let me think for a minute.” I needed to concentrate on what I saw. Nothing really stood out to me except a feeling. I looked at Max.

“Tell me. You saw something didn’t you?” He didn’t have to say anything I could tell by the look in his eyes that he had. “What?” He better tell me. “I need to know what you saw Max. I have to know in order for me to put it with the information that I have.”

“I saw it.”

“What?”

“The ship. I saw it Liz. There’s a secret door behind…” He had paused as if searching his memory for what it was. “bread. A store of some sorts. It wasn’t really like a grocery store but more like a convenience store.”

“Is that all?”

“No, the other key that we know is at the Maclaine mansion is the key for the spaceship.” I started pacing back and forth. My first instinct was to kiss Max again but for some reason I knew that wouldn’t help. I needed time to think… We had a lot to do this week and there was nothing more I could do tonight.

“Remember what you saw just in case we happen to get anything else later. I don’t think that we are going to find anything else out tonight.” I started walking around to the side gate so I could go home and Max followed. “I promised my mom and dad that I wouldn’t be too late and I’m really pretty tired right now, so I’m going to head home.”

“Liz?” I stopped and turned around so I was facing him. “Are you ok?”

“Yeah. I’m fine, just tired is all.” I smiled and held out my hand for him to take it. He did and then he led me out to my car.

He opened the driver’s door and held it open for me to get in. I did and he shut it for me. I rolled down the window and Max leaned in on the window frame. “I love you Liz. Get a good night sleep.” He winked.

Max was definitely one in a million. And he was mine. I put my right hand on his cheek and pulled him further into the car. “I love you too, Max.” We kissed. Was there flashes? Nope. It was just us and it was wonderful. He pulled away and I rolled my lips inward as if I had just applied lip gloss and wanted to make sure my entire lip was covered. I closed my eyes and stored the entire sensation in a place that I would never forget it.

My Max place is what I’m calling it. He stood up and stepped back for me to leave. I started the car and began to back out. I looked at the man that said that he had loved me from the first day he had seen me. At that moment in time I believed him.

The drive home was quick. Mom and Dad were already in bed by the time I got home at ten thirty. I changed and went to bed. Tomorrow was a new day.

<center>He was a king 'til she laid waste
Now he can not fill up the space
And I just see him drifting
while he’s drifting
On bourbon alley
feeling low
Just because she let
him go
I don’t think he
even knows
He’ll ever be fine
</center>

The ride to Hondo was easier this time. Max was sitting in front with Kyle and both of them were jousting with each other on who was better at everything. I decided to stay out of the competition.

Seeing how the two of them were getting along I now wished that I would have told Max about the future version of him a long, long time ago… It hasn’t been fair for Kyle to be kept out of the loop for doing something for me. My world was finally settling down to its norm.

Now don’t get me wrong my norm would be the same as what I was calling my norm before my sophomore year. It’s amazing how someone’s life can change in a two-year time frame.

Kyle parked the car in the street. “Which one you getting?”

Max answered him. “The blue convertible.”

“Cool man… Real cool.” It must be a guy thing but I had to agree the car was pretty cool. Bench seats always made it handy when making out. I know. Stop it… Yeah right.

Max got out of the car and held his hand out to help me out as well. “Thank you.”

“Anytime.” He was just too sweet.

I turned around, “Thanks Kyle. We’ll see ya later.”

“Bye... Good luck on the car Evans.”

“Thanks man.” We turned and walked once again to the blue car that sat at the corner of the lot.

<center>And he’s got
a head full of ideas
Let me tell ya
That you wouldn’t believe
And he’s got
a heart made of pure gold
And something else
Many tricks up his sleeve
You might think he’s a jester
because he’ll
make you laugh til’ you cry
And what else
You better come with your best
if you test him
Unless you’re ready to die
</center>

Standing in front of the blue car with its black soft top dressed in the same outfit that I wore on Saturday, Max once again was walking around the car looking at everything. Here comes the salesman. It was the same one that we saw on Saturday and guess what he was wearing the exact same clothes as well.

“She's a beaut isn't she?” He said to Max but he ignored him. Max reached under the hood and he must have pulled the lever to allow for the hood to open up. I was waiting for Max to say something to the salesman but he didn’t so I decided to do business. After all we were in this together… If Max didn’t want my help then he wouldn’t have asked me to come. Right? Right.

“How much is it?” I asked him.

“You don't want this, honey. The entire engine was destroyed in a fire. It's just a little eye candy to draw people to the lot.” Honey? Where did he get off calling me honey? I looked at Max to see if he was going to correct the man or not.

“I'll give you five hundred bucks for it.” He must have been in his own little world either that or he didn’t mind the man calling me honey. I swear if he calls me sweetums I’m leaving… I waited for the salesman to state that the car wasn’t for sale again like he did last time but he didn’t.

“I'll get the keys.” He walked back into the sales office and Max pops the hood. We hadn’t had much time to talk today and I had thought of a few things last night while I lay in bed. I looked at Max and the car. The engine is completely burnt out.

“So, I don't think I'm getting all this. The thing we're trying to get from Shirley Maclaine's is a key to a spaceship.” He didn’t look like he was listening to me. He waved his hand over the engine and began to repair it.

“According to Tess' records, yes, but its not just any spaceship. It’s my spaceship, from 1947.” I must have missed something what else was on that piece of paper. I should have looked at it better.

“Now this is where I need a little help. You actually believe if you take a key from Shirley Maclaine's collection of weird ****, and put it in the ignition of a spaceship that crashed into a million pieces fifty years ago, that it will work?” I still found it hard to believe that he could repair anything that destroyed. If the piece of metal that we had in our possession were any clue of what we are up against, there would be a lot of little pieces.

Max finished using his powers on the engine. I wasn’t really surprised that the engine started. “If I can get this thing running, I could probably get the spaceship to work too.” I find that hard to believe. The ship was going to be much harder than this. I looked up and saw the salesman coming with the keys. He was grinning from ear to ear. Proud that he had sold the only car on the lot that was supposed to be junk. I found it funny when Max walked forward and met him halfway. He handed him the money and the salesman kept walking towards the car. He was surprised that it was running especially with out the keys. He held out the keys and I grabbed them.

“Thanks, honey.” See how you like being called honey. Max opened the driver’s door for me and I hopped in. He handed us the paperwork and Max drove off. I would give anything to see his face in awe. But I didn’t, Max had his new car and we were on our way home. At least that’s what I thought.

<center>Wonder woman got rid of
wonder man
that man’s not part of
her wonder plan
Letter to the so called
better bet on my man
Believe it you will
find out baby
Damn
</center>

I started rummaging through the car. It was actually pretty clean. When I reached the glove box it was locked. I tried the key but it wouldn’t work. “It’s locked Max.” I didn’t have to say anything else for him to lean over and use his voodoo to open it. It opened with a pop and the door fell down. There were a bunch of papers in there. I started to pull them out and when I got to the bottom you never guessed what I found.

Nope.

Nope.

I found a gun. I take it out and hold it up. “Do you have any idea what we’re going to do with this sweetheart?” It was cute. I was in a good mood. Max had a car and it was a beautiful day to be out cruising in a convertible.

He took a double take and then looked at me again. “Where’d you get that?”

“It was in the glove box. Evidently the dealership didn’t think it was important to get it open.” It was heavy. The grip was a bit too large for my small hands. I started to move it from hand to hand to get the feel of it. “You know it might come in handy for me to have a gun.”

“You are not having a gun.”

“Why not? I’m a big girl. Besides what will happen to me if the evil aliens have already come back and they come for me first to get to you? I need protection and this is exactly what I need.”

“Have you ever fired a real gun before?”

“No, but I like playing the games at the arcade that have those ones that look like this one.” I know it wasn’t really the right thing to say and believe me I know I will regret it.

“That’s not the same. Is it loaded?”

I looked at the gun and sure enough there were bullet. “Yeah.” I don’t know what he was worried about, but he took a turn off the side of the road and we were now driving on nothing but desert. I was surprised how smooth the car handled the hard desert ground. It must have been because of the length of the car. “Where are we going?” I had no idea on what he had in mind. Maybe he wanted to get rid of the gun? I didn’t have a clue.

“If you want to keep the gun then you are going to learn how to use it.”

“Really?” I couldn’t believe my ears.

“You had a valid point. There’s no way I could protect you from clear across town. This way you could probably catch them off guard. You would be able to put up a fight.” I looked at him. He had a worried crease in his forehead and his hands were gripping the wheel until his knuckles were white.

“I can do this Max. I’m not the same girl that you saved that day.” Why did I say that? Next month will be two years. I wonder if he’s going to do anything. I decided to change the subject. “School starts next week.”

“I know. At least we don’t have to go until Friday. Freshman orientation is a blessing in disguise. I want to be able to spend every day with you. I can’t believe that we’ve blown the whole summer ignoring each other.”

“I know. There’s so much that we need to get done and it’s only going to be harder when we start school again. Do you think we could get Isabel to help us? Maybe she could look up some records on how Shirley Maclaine came about having the key or something like that. We all need to be working on it if we ever plan to accomplish anything.”

“I know. I’ll ask when I see her later.”

“Alright. You work on Isabel and Maria’s working on Michael. Kyle’s already helping.”

“Who’s working on you?”

“What?”

“I want to work on you. Do you think you can work me in?” The car came to a stop. We were in some kind of valley. There was nothing and no one around us. With the engine off and the top down everything was perfect at this very moment.

<center>Head full of ideas
Let me tell ya
And he’s got
And something else
So many tricks up his sleeve
You might think he’s a jester,
because he’ll
And what else
if you test him
</center>

“I think I can work you in.” I was on my knees working my way over to his side of the car. Before I was to him he had reached between his legs and scooted the seat away from the wheel so my body could fit. I straddled my legs across his hip. I was looking down into the soul of the only man that I would love in this life or the next. “Is this what you had in mind?” I said it right next to his ear making sure that the words were filled with hot breath.

“Yeah, something like that.” He reached up with his hands and grabbed my waist. I continued to work on his neck and then up along his jaw.

I pulled away and looked at him seriously. “I thought you said you wanted to work on me. This looks like I’m working on you.”

“It may look like that right now but give me time, I’m just beginning to warm up.” His hand moved up to the back of my head to force me down to kiss him. My body was on fire. The kiss was going deep down inside and everything was hot with fire. I deepened the kiss and began to pull up on his shirt I needed to touch his sculpted chest and feel that silky smooth skin.

Time seemed to stand still because the time between his kisses was pure agony. The emotions that were flowing between us were whirling around us like a cloud. I could almost feel the connection open up between us.

~*~FLASH~*~
Max getting off the bus and our eyes locking.

~*~FLASH~*~
Max saving my life that fatal day in September.

~*~FLASH~*~
Max telling me that his life was in my hands now.

~*~FLASH~*~
Max and I in science class and his touch sending me over the edge.

~*~FLASH~*~
The white room.

~*~FLASH~*~
The night we stayed together in the van after escaping from Pierce. “Whether I die tomorrow or fifty years from now, my destiny is the same: it's you. I want to be with you, Liz. I love you.”

~*~FLASH~*~
Max watching me run down the hill after hearing the message from his mother.

~*~FLASH~*~
The first time we saw each other after I had returned from Florida.

They just went on and on. Our whole life history was flashing before our eyes.

~*~FLASH~*~
Max standing outside the observatory and Tess walking up to him.

I steeled myself to see what was next. I didn’t want to see it and then again I wanted to see. I wanted to know what it was like for him to be with her.

~*~FLASH~*~
It was me!

<center>A million people come and go
Through a person's ebb and flow
And faces keep on changing
While they're changing
A certain few will
stay in tact
When they’re not they'll don an act
I know this important fact
Don’t get confused like
</center>

I couldn’t believe it. After everything that had been between us I finally found out that the only way that Max could be with her was to trick his mind that he was making love to me. I pulled away.

We said nothing. We were both absorbing what we had seen in our visions. “Are you ok?” he asked me.

“Yeah, I think so.” I got up off of his lap and sat down. I was in shock. I didn’t know what to say or what to do.

“Liz. I’m sorry you saw that. I didn’t mean for you to see that.”

“Max.” I didn’t know where to begin I was shocked. How come he didn’t tell me that is how it was like for him. He never did love her. He never had any intention of loving her. Why was he saying he was sorry? I didn’t see him making love to Tess I saw him making love to me. “You know what I saw?” I wasn’t for sure we rarely had the same visions. I figured with the connection open between us I saw what was on his mind and he saw what was on mine… I wasn’t for sure what he saw.

<center>And he’s got
a head full of ideas
Let me tell ya
And he’s got
And something else
So many tricks up his sleeve
You might think he’s a jester
because he’ll
And what else
if you test him
</center>

“Yeah. I’m sorry. I never wanted you to see that. I’ve tried and tried and I can’t seem to get that out of my mind. I’m sorry, Liz.” I cupped his face in my hands and looked him straight in the eye.

“There’s no reason for you to say you’re sorry about that night Max. I understand what happened and how it happened. I couldn’t love you more right now if my life depended on it.” I knew I had confused him totally so while I had my hands around his face I told him I wanted to make another connection with me. “Make a connection with me Max. I want to show you what I saw.”

“Are you sure?”

I shook my head up and down and smiled sweetly at him. He was so cautious. He never wanted to hurt me again. “I’m sure Max. Relax… Connect with me, I want to show you what I saw and hopefully it will give you the reason why you aren’t able to get rid of that memory.”

~*~FLASH~*~
I’m taking Max’s hand and leading him to a pallet right behind the telescope. I’m down on my knees urging him to join me. We kiss and begin to make out. I roll him over and he takes my shirt off. I take his while we are still kissing. We made love for hours until our bodies dropped because of sheer exhaustion.

The connection ended and he pulled away. “What was that?” I smiled.

“It’s what you saw that night. It’s what you thought you were doing. She knew that you would never let yourself make love to her so she made you believe that you were making love to me. Don’t you see she mind warped you? Sure, I’m hurt that you made love to her but you thought it was me. You wanted it to be me.” I was smiling and tears of joy were starting to trickle down my cheek.

He was shaking his head. “I would have remembered. I should have remembered.”

“Max you couldn’t have remembered. She mind warped you. She made you remember what she wanted you to remember. I’m not for sure if you really did have sex with her. I’m not for sure if there really is a baby but I know that YOU didn’t make love to her that night. It was me. Baby don’t you see? She lied to you to get what she wanted.”

<center>First you love him
then your loving him not
All the while he just
smiles giving all that
he’s got
Do you find it in your
heart to say he’s not
what you sought
Do you want me to
continue with this
or what
</center>

We sat in silence a little while the information that we had just found out sunk in. I was sitting in the middle of the seat and Max was still behind the steering wheel. “So why did you pull off the side of the road to begin with? Was it just so you could make out with me or was there an ulterior motive?”

He looked at me and smiled. “I really enjoyed making out with you but the reason I turned off the road was I wanted to try and teach you how to use the gun… You were right when you said that they would come for you. That’s the only thing I regret getting back with you. They won’t come for me, they will come for you to get to me.”

“Max… No regrets… Never. You hear me. No regrets. I’m glad that you are finally seeing what we need to do. We all need to be prepared. We can’t look as each other as our weakness but as our strength. Together we are stronger than we ever were apart. Do you hear me?”
<center>Whoa yeah, whoa yeah
Head full of ideas
Let me tell ya
And he’s got
And something else
so many tricks up his sleeve

Wouldn’t you believe by 311
</center>

“I hear you.” He opened up the door and got out. He held the door open for me to get out. I did. I stood up and walked right out the driver’s door.

“I really like this car.”

“Me too. Are you going to bring the gun?” He was teasing me. I turned around and got the gun out of the glove box. I made sure to keep it pointing down. I at least knew that much. I handed him the gun and we began to walk out to a place where Max could set up some targets. We had found a few cans in the trunk of the car.

He taught me the basics. The hammer. The safety. The trigger. After going through the list of things to do and not to do he stood behind me and told me to try. “Go ahead and pull the trigger. You don’t want to fight the force of the gun but you don’t want to force it either. Just let it flow.”

I shook my head in acknowledgement and eased my finger back on the trigger. **BANG** I noticed when I squeezed I closed my eyes. “Hang on. Let me try again.” I aimed the barrel at the target that was probably a good twenty yards away. I squeezed again making sure I had a solid stance as well as a good grip on the gun. **BANG** I didn’t close my eye and I sent the can flying across the ground and I looked up behind my should and saw Max’s approval. See I knew I could do it. Nothing to it.

“Good. That was real good.” I leaned into him and he kissed the top of my head. “Go ahead and shoot the rest of them. Get some practice in, I’ll get some more ammo in town.”

After a few minutes I was done and had done pretty good fifty percent. A little more practice and I could become real good. We got back into the car and Max pulled back out onto the road. My head was on cloud nine and I didn’t feel like coming down just yet.

I rested my head on Max’s shoulder and my left hand on his thigh. He covered it with his hand and we drove on in silence.

Bordersinsanity
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 15 — Giving In

“Go change and meet me back here in an hour,” he said. I didn’t know what plans he had but I wasn’t going to question. I wanted to be with him and even though it was only an hour it was going to be sheer torture.

“What should I wear?” Maybe that would give me some idea of what we were going to do.

“Surprise me,” he said.

“Max. I can surprise you but I don’t want to walk into a restaurant that has a dress code wearing only jeans and a tank… Give me some idea. Please.” Begging would have to work.

“Don’t worry there’s no dress code. Wear what you want. Anything will be perfect just as long as you are there.” Boy, was he laying it on thick. I smiled at him and leaned over to kiss him. The kissed deepened as if we wouldn’t see each other for a lifetime. He pulled away and said “Go.” I looked at my watch and saw that it was four thirty. We needed to start taking something along with us for a snack. I was starving…

I walked through the front of the Crashdown and went straight back to the back. Michael was working and he stopped me before I could get up the stairs. “What the hell are you doing with Maxwell?”

Wow… I would have never thought that it would have bothered him that much. “Excuse me? I don’t think I like your tone but if you must know we’re going out to eat.” I knew my attitude would piss him off but he pissed me off first.

“That’s not what I mean. What’s going on between the two of you?” A valid question and I didn’t feel the need to lie to him… After all I swore to Max that I wouldn’t lie to him so why should I lie to the others? I had nothing to gain by babying them.

I took in a deep breath and thought of the best way to approach the subject. “We’re together now.” Short and sweet and no bull.

“What! How did that happen?”

“What do you mean what? Oh, I see as long as you and Maria are having the time of your lives pretending that nothing is wrong and everything is normal. Max and I have to live in misery. We deserve a happy life just as much as you do. Don’t we?”

“Look. All I’m saying is the last time he was ‘having the time of his life’ the bitch betrayed us.” I held my hand up to stop the thought that he had not finished. He ignored me. “I don’t think he can handle it if it doesn’t work out between the two of you.”

“I don’t know what you think of me Michael, but I’m not going to betray you guys. Max is my life and I will do anything to ensure that he survives. If that’s wrong then I guess there’s nothing more for us to say to each other. You’ve made your point very clear.” I turned to go up the stairs.

“Liz. Wait.” He had his hand on my forearm. I looked down and then up at him. I think he finally thought about it. “How serious are the two of you? I mean…” he was searching, “you’re not going to break his heart again.” Oh I see where this was going. I would have thought that Maria would have told him the truth by now. I guess not.

I wanted to tell him the truth but it just felt self-serving right now. I didn’t need to justify the relationship between Max and I to the whole world. “Will it help if I told you that we were taking things slow?” He shook his head yes. “Fine.” ” I had my bitch face on to make sure he knew where I was coming from.

“I just have one thing to ask and then we can end this conversation once and for all.” He shook his head yes. “Are you prepared if the bad guys come tomorrow? Are you prepared to lose Maria? Is she prepared to lose you? The end is coming Michael and you better be ready. They know who we are. They know where we are. Think about it.” I continued up the stairs not waiting for him to answer the questions that I had asked. Let him think about it. We had to start working as a team; if we ever had any hopes of getting pass this.

I opened the door to the apartment. Mom and dad were sitting in the living room doing their separate things. “Hi.” I said walking towards my room.

“So did Max get his car?” Mom asked.

“Yeah, he did.”

“I hope he got a good deal on it.” Dad forever the pessimist.

“Yeah. He only paid five hundred dollars for it. I think he did good. Don’t make anything for me to eat tonight. Max is taking me out.”

“That sounds nice. Where are you going?”

“I have no idea. He wants to surprise me.” I was beginning to get in a better mood since I wasn’t in the presence of Michael.

“Well if you’re out too late make sure and let us know.” My mom was the only one speaking and I couldn’t read the look on my dad’s face.

I yelled behind me… “I will.” I stripped off the black top and leather pants and hopped into the shower. The showers heat made my shoulders ease some. Why did the others have to be so difficult? Couldn’t they tell that Max and I were meant for each other?

I had turned the radio on before I had gotten in and the song that was playing was a good one. It was Adema’s Giving in. I was singing the lyrics as I passed the sponge over my body parts. I rinsed and turned off the water and grabbed my towel and went out to stand in front of my closet. What to wear?

<center>Will you walk me?
To the edge again
Shaking lonely
And I am drinking again
Woke up tonight
And no one's here with me
I’m giving in to you
Take me under; I’m giving in to you
I’m dying tonight; I’m giving in to you
</center>
Watch me crumble, I’m giving in to you, I’m crying tonight, I’m giving in to you

It would really help if I knew where we were going? Do I dress up or do I wear my usual? After thinking about it a little I decided to go in between. I had a black slip dress and then added a black silk top over it. The only thing I didn’t like about the dress was that it did let me belly ring show. I looked at myself in the full-length mirror and decided that this wasn’t the right outfit. What to wear? I ask myself again.

Then I see it; there hanging in the back of my closet was a long tight fitting skirt that had two long slits up the sides. It would go good with the black tank that had the lace around the neckline. If I add the red see-through silk shirt that has long sleeves it would complete the look. I grab the other pieces and began putting them on.

I was done dressing and I would have to say that everything was perfect. The tank stopped just above my belly ring and with the long sleeve shirt on I could get out of the house without the parents seeing it. Perfect. What should I do with my hair? I walked into the bathroom and began blow-drying it.

When it was dried I took it into a pony and fastened it with a clip. There were some loose strands of hair and I ended up curling them. Time to move on to makeup. I hated foundation and being out in the sun most the day I really didn’t need anything but some eyeliner and lip-gloss. I ran the wand over my lips and puckered at the image in the mirror. Eat your heart out Evans.

<center>Caught up in life
Losing all my friends
Family has tried to heal all my addictions
Tragic it seems to be alone again
I’m giving in to you
</center>

I stepped over to the bed and got down on my knees so I could look under it for the black go-go boots. I found one and was still missing the other. I sat back on my heels and thought. I jumped up and went straight for the closet. Underneath some clothes that I had tossed in there when mom had asked me to clean my room was the missing boot. I grabbed both of them and sat down on the bed. I pulled one on after the other and zipped them up. One more look in the mirror and a little twirl and I was done.

I went to the door and took a deep breath hoping that I could get out of the house with out my parents giving me the once over. After letting it out I opened the door up and proceeded to the door. “Bye mom. Bye dad.” I couldn’t have been luckier… They weren’t anywhere in sight.

“Bye honey. Have fun and be careful.”

“Thanks mom I will.” Yes. I’m free. I looked at the watch on my wrist and I had five minutes to spare… I decided to go out the back way for two reasons. I didn’t want to see Michael right now and I didn’t want to take a chance with dad being in the restaurant. The back screen slammed against the doorjamb and I scrunched my shoulder from the loud racket. I pulled the shirt tight in front of me because I had felt a chill. I looked around the alley to see if there was anything out of place. No… nothing. I didn’t see anything out of the usual. I was probably just nervous about going out with Max.

I rounded the corner and saw Max sitting on the top of the seat. The top on the blue car was down and in less than a second as if he could tell that I was coming our eyes met. His mouth immediately dropped. I had to give him the full show. I stopped and held my arms our so the red silk shirt opened up to reveal the black tank and my bare midriff. I began to spin around and in doing so the slits to my skirt showed my thighs. “You look beautiful.” He hopped over the driver’s door and met me half way.

“Thanks.” I think I blushed because my cheeks grew hot. “You don’t look that bad yourself.” He was wearing leather pants and a blue button down and of course his leather jacket. “Don’t you have any other jacket to wear besides that one?”

“I thought you liked this one?”

“I do. It’s just that it makes it really hard for me to concentrate.”

“Really?”

“Yes.” I slugged him in the arm and he grabbed my wrist and then pulled me close.

“You know I could ask you if you have any other shirts that don’t show off your new ring but I don’t because I don’t want to see you in anything else… It’s hard enough to concentrate when I’m close to you let alone with your skin poking out of almost every piece of clothing that you are wearing.” He kissed me. The kiss was gentle and told me that he had missed me. It deepened and my arms went up around his neck so I could play with the hair that met his collar. I had to admit I liked the fact that he was letting his hair grow out some. It looked good on him… Then again what didn’t look good on him.

There was something else in his kiss that took me by surprise. He was tense. “What’s wrong,” I said as I pulled away. His eyes clouded over and he turned away and took my hand to lead me to the car. “Max. What’s wrong? What happened? Is everything ok?” The only thing that popped into my mind was Isabel. “Is Isabel ok?” I pulled on his hand so that he would have to look at me. “Answer me Max. What’s wrong?”

“Not here.”

“Ok. Let’s go then.” I wanted to get to the bottom of this. He helped me into the car and I did my best to show off a little more leg than was called for. He stared at the naked leg and waited patiently for me to pull it into the car. When I did he shut the door gently. He leaned over the car door and kissed my on the cheek and when he pulled back he was smiling.

He jumped into the car not even opening up the door and in an instant it was purring like a kitten. The engine gave a steady humming that was a comfort. I scooted over so my hand could rest on his thigh. I wanted to reassure him that everything was going to be ok and whatever was going on with Isabel was going to work its way out. Being with Max gave me the confidence that everything was going to be ok as long as we were together. He looked at me and gave me a small smile and then his hand settled on top of mine.

“What’s wrong? Please tell me.” We were out of town now and were once again on the old highway where we had the accident. He must have felt the tension in my arm because he squeezed my hand just a little bit tighter than he had been.

He pulled over. Once again we were on the side of the road with no one around us for miles. He looked into my eyes and the pain that I saw would have brought me to my knees if I had been standing. “You’re right. It’s Isabel. I don’t know if we will ever be the way we were. We’re drifting apart and nothing I say or do helps. What can I do?” He pleaded with his eyes and his mouth was calling to me. I wanted to wipe all the misery away with my kiss but knew that would only mask the problem and wouldn’t solve anything.

“Tell me what happened. I won’t be able to help you if you don’t let me hear what happened.” I pulled on his hand with both of mine. He turned toward me and looked me in the eye for courage.

“I asked her if she could help look into how and when Shirley Maclaine came in contact with the key.” He stopped.

“And?”

“She threw her magazine down and said that she had more important things to do at work than look up some strange artifact that you think has to do with us. I couldn’t believe what she was saying so I asked what was wrong and she said that she didn’t want to talk about it. I thought we were getting along pretty well. We sat together Friday night and she didn’t seem like anything was bothering her.”

I shook my head in acknowledgement. Isabel seemed fine. “Has there been anything strange going on with her lately?”

“Not that I know of. I’ve been out of the loop most of the summer up until we got back together. It’s all my fault. I just know it.”

“Max you can’t take the blame for everyone. We all are responsible for what we do.”

“Liz. I’m their king. I’m the one that’s supposed to keep us together. I haven’t been doing that lately. If we aren’t prepared by the time Tess comes back it’ll be my fault.”

“Look at me. We’ve talked to Michael. We’ve talked to Maria. We’ve talked to Isabel. We’ve even talked to Kyle. If they decide not to do anything then so be it. It just means that we have to work harder to get to the end of this nightmare.”

“Is that what this is to you? A nightmare? Liz. This is my dream come true. Being able to love you openly and to be able to spend as much time with you as I want is the dream that I have dreamt about my entire life. I don’t care what happens tomorrow as long as I know that you love me. I feel like I can do anything as long as you are with me and you believe in me.”

“Max.”

“I want to make your dreams come true Liz. Tell me what I need to do so you can feel like I do when I’m with you.”

“Max… you are my dream come true. All I ask and all I want is for you to give me everything that is you. I need you to be you. Whatever you are I want. So, if you are a king from another planet fighting a war with a rebellion race, I want to be there. If you are a brother that is having a hard time with his family, I want to be there.” I placed both my hands on his face and brought his lips to mine. I sealed my pledge to him with a kiss. I poured everything that I felt for him into that one kiss and that’s when I saw it.

~*~FLASH~*~
Max walking into Isabel’s room asking her for help. She threw the magazine down and looked up at her brother in disgust. I felt Max’s heart being broken because his sister no longer wanted anything to do with him.

“I need time for me. I had the love of my life stripped from me right when I knew that he was the one. I’m not going to be dragged back into that Max. I want to have a normal life and if you feel that this is important to you then so be it. Go do what you need to do but leave me out of it. If it makes it any easier for you, you can pretend that you don’t even have a sister. Your sister died when the slut that you were bedding killed Alex. Now if you don’t mind I’m trying to read the new fashion trends for the new school year.” Isabel had cut Max to the core.

He backed out of her room and shut the door quietly.

The flash ended and I pulled him into me for reassurance. “It’ll be ok. She’ll come around. We just have to be patient. That’s all. Be patient.” I started rocking back and forth and his hands moved around to embrace me even tighter than before.

<center>Take me under,
I’m giving in to you,
I’m dying tonight,
I’m giving in to you
Watch me crumble, I’m giving in to you, I’m crying tonight, I’m giving in to you
</center>

He turned his head into the crook of my neck. He took a deep breath and inhaled my scent. It must have been an intoxicating scent to him because he immediately started leaving little kisses all over my neck. His breath was coming in short bursts and the heat traveled down my spine and landed in the pit of my stomach.

I tilted my head to give him better access to what he wanted; to what he needed. He needed to know that I would be there for him when everyone else turned their back on him. Max’s life had been hard this last year. I had to admit that he didn’t make the most rational choices this past year but I had to let him know that it’s ok to make mistakes as long as we learn from them.

He was now to my right ear and he was nibbling on it like it had an answer to one of his many questions. His hot breath made its way to my ear and the passion that was building in me erupted. I grabbed the back of his head by his hair and forced his mouth onto mine.

During the kiss I pushed off his jacket and started to unbutton his shirt. He peeled off my silk shirt and the thin tank top was the only thing between his hands and my bare skin. I was hot with need and felt the urge in him as well. I leaned back on the seat and pulled him on top of me. His hands were beginning to roam the flatness of my stomach and I was pulling his shirt apart so I could feel his sculpted chest with my own skin.

<center>I look forward to dying tonight
Drink till I’m myself
Life’s harder every day
The stress has got me
I’m giving in, I’m giving in, giving in, NOOO....
(I’m killing all the pain)
</center>
Take me under, I’m giving in to you, I’m dying tonight, I’m giving in to you
Watch me crumble, I’m giving in to you I’m crying tonight, I’m giving in to you

I let out a deep blissful moan and sat up so I could taste his skin with my tongue. I didn’t get that far before a car from nowhere came zooming by us. We jerked apart and looked at each other. That was close. We were so close to actually throwing all logic away and giving into our sexual desires. I wanted Max there was no doubt about it and I’m sure he wanted me.

He started to button up his shirt and said, “I think we better get going before they give our reservations to someone else.” He leaned over to give me another kiss and I scooted back so he would be able to sit down behind the steering wheel.

“Ok.” I sounded disappointed because I was. I was almost eighteen and still a virgin. I shook my head to get rid of that thought. It would happen when the time was right. Not because he needed comforting, not because I was insecure but because it was the right time for both of us.

I straightened out my outfit while Max worked the car back onto the road. I looked at my watch and saw that it was almost six thirty. An hour later than when we had started out. I hoped that the restaurant wasn’t that far away. I was absolutely starving. I scooted over to once again place my hand on his thigh. He covered my hand and then brought it up to his lips for a gentle kiss. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Bordersinsanity
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 16 – (Woohoo) Song #2

All I have to say was the date was fantastic. Dinner was scrumptious and the atmosphere was to die for. We danced and talked as if we were a normal couple very much in love. Afterwards we went out to the pond that he had found over the summer and sat on the dock and looked at the stars and reminisced about the old times.

I don’t want to get side tracked because I need to get along with the story because there’s not much time before everything turns upside down. Today is Thursday and tonight we will be invited guest at the Maclaine Mansion.

Max and I told our parents that the gang decided to take one last camping trip before our senior year. You’re probably wondering how that can happen if no one is willing to help us search. One person. Maria. I personally think she is going after the wrong career. She should be an actress because when she wants to put on a good show she can. Let me tell you how it happens.

I was upstairs packing a backpack for the weekend events. The plan was for Maria to pick me up. All decked out in the camping gear… You know the look. Backpack, tank top with long sleeve shirt over the top, shorts, pushed down socks, hiking boots, and the one accessory needed to finish off the motif. A bandana head thingy… I know that’s not what you call it but hey. I’m not Isabel. The know all of fashion. If this were her story she would know what that was called but it’s not and it’s a good thing because you wouldn’t even know what was going on with anyone but her.

I know that sounds really bad but if you would have heard what she told Max when he asked her to cover for her you would be acting the same way as I was. Ok… Let me play it back for you. Max walks into the house Monday night after our fabulous date and knocks on her bedroom door. Of course she’s on the phone and is really upset that Max had the nerve to come to her. Believe me after that night I don’t think he will ever ask her for anything for a long, long time. Anyway. She covered the mouthpiece and asked, “What.”

“I need you to cover for me this weekend.”

“Why?”

“Liz and I.” That’s all he got to say. She cut him off.

“Look. I don’t want to know anything. Tell me the story so I can get back to my telephone conversation already.”

Yeah. Bitchy is right. Anyway Max told her that the story was everyone was going camping for the weekend before school starts on Monday. “Ok. I’ll make sure to let them know that that’s where you guys are at.” She shooed him out of her room and continued talking as if he was never there. Poor Max.

Maria was easy. She needed an excuse to tell her mom so she could spend one last weekend with Michael before school started. They didn’t have a problem with not being seen. I think Maria’s words were “I think I can keep him busy for a few days. Don’t worry Liz they won’t find out that we didn’t go with you. So, how serious are you and Max?”

I remembered how Michael had taken the news and decided to tell her what I had led him to believe. “Were taking things slow, Maria. You know.” I didn’t have to finish the thought because she knew what I was hinting to. Yep. Tess.

So now that you know the background here we are, once again in the new blue convertible. I’m still not sure what kind of car it is. It doesn’t really matter as long as it gets us where we want to go. The radio works well and its got good sound… It’s playing an old song by Blur. I once thought that it was called woohoo but really it’s called Song 2. Weird huh.

<center>I got my head checked
By a jumbo jet
It wasn't easy
But nothing is, no
</center>

We just made it out of town and Max is getting into the song “Woohoo,” he let’s loose of the steering wheel and sticks his hands out the top of the car.

“Max! What are you doing?” I’ve never seen him act this way.

“I’m having fun.”

“Max you’re driving.”

“You’re right.” He pulls over and stands up on the seat and says; “You drive. I want to enjoy the ride for awhile.”

I started to laugh at him. He was just too adorable when he was acting like this. “Let me see what this car can do.” I always wanted to try and do a fish tail but never had the guts or the car to do it in. Now I do. I slammed my foot onto the accelerator and the wheels spun in the dirt that was on the side of the road. It wasn’t the best fish tail that I had seen but it was my first one.

We were well on our way to Sedona Arizona. Home of Shirley Maclaine’s Mansion as well as Cathedral Rock, Courthouse Butte, Bell Rock, Airport Mesa and Boynton Canyon. You want to know the significance to this little bit of information?

It’s been said that these places are known to carry a vortex. What’s a vortex? A vortex is an energy spot or a place where the natural geophysical emissions interact with the human system creating strong emotional, psychological and even psychic reactions. I looked it up on the net. You can find it at http://www.sedona.com. Interesting uh? Thought you would like that.

I know what you are thinking. How? I’ve already thought about it, the consequences of Max and I being together in a very sensitive area. What could possibly go wrong? Nothing. That’s what. I’m hoping that the vortex will help lead us to the bottom of the visions that we’ve been experiencing.

“Did you know that Anazasi tribe once lived where Sedona is now, Max?”

“The who?”

“The Anazasi. They built these great civilizations in Arizona, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico and then just disappeared. They were concentrated around the red rocks of Arizona because it was believed that they held a power in them.”

I looked at him. I knew that he wasn’t getting the full gist of it. I always got ahead of myself whenever I was excited about anything. “Just wait until we get to the hotel. I’ll bring up the information for you. I found it a few weeks ago while I was researching.”

“What did you find Liz?”

I didn’t know how to continue. I know I promised not to keep anything from him… so I continued. “It’s been rumored that the rocks have the power to bring on the psychic phenomena.” I knew that he didn’t understand what I was getting at so I explained myself. “Meaning that our flashes might get more intense. They might give us more information.” I was getting excited. “I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the key is here in Sedona Max. I think that everything is happening for a reason.

<center>When I feel heavy metal
And I'm pins and I'm needles
Well I lie and I'm easy
All of the time but I'm never sure when I need you
Pleased to meet you
</center>

We pulled into the Sedona Super 8 Hotel and got out. I had gotten us reservations online and knew there wouldn’t be a problem. Max was over eighteen and I’m sure I looked old enough to have a room. Of course, I ordered double occupancy. There will be a bed for Max and a bed for me. That way neither one of us will feel uncomfortable.

We walked into the lobby and there sitting pretty behind her desk was the receptionist. “Hi, welcome to Sedona. My name is Susan. How can I help you?” Isn’t it funny how the lingo just rolls off of everyone’s tongues when they have worked the same job day after day after day? Susan had bleach blonde hair cut about shoulder’s length and had a wavy curl to it. She wore bright blue eye shadow and was wearing a top a little to tight for her bust. Reminded me of Tess if she was in her late thirty’s and had fallen apart… Only in my dreams.

“Um… Yes, we have a reservation.”

“And your name sir.” Come on Max she’ll need your name.

“Max Evans.” Susan started typing on her keyboard.

“Yes, your room’s all ready but there is a slight problem. We had a whopper of a storm here this past weekend and half our rooms have water damage. Due to this being our peak period the only way we were able to get you into a room is by giving you a single with a roll-a-way. My manager has already given me permission to give you a fifty percent discount on the room and you can take your pick of one of these tours that we will throw in for free as well.” She had placed about six brochures onto the counter. One looked like a hot air balloon ride. That could be cool. Another one was a tour on some pink jeep. No thanks. Horse back ride and a romantic dinner under the stars. That had its possibilities. There were a few more but I decided that we needed to get a move on.

Max and I looked at each other. “That’ll be fine.” I said. We were adults and besides what could go wrong. Max and I had been able to stay the night together once before and nothing happened that we couldn’t control.

“Liz. Are you sure?”

I didn’t look at him. I looked at Susan and held my hand out. “We’ll take it.” I looked at Max and repeated myself. “We’ll take it. It’s a good deal. Besides, we get to pick one of the great tour deals for free.” I looked at Susan as she handed me the key. “Do you mind if we take a moment to look over the brochures awhile?”

“No, no sweetheart. You take your time.” She smiled at us as we left the lobby and went to our room. Room 14. We went back out to the car and grabbed our bags. I had given Max my evening gown a few nights before so it wouldn’t look to odd when I was going ‘camping’.

I had the backpack strung over my shoulder and the gown over my forearm. Max had basically the same thing as I did. We went around the corner to our room. The sudden chill of the air conditioner hit us as soon as we stepped into the room.

The room was done in a southwest tribal decoration and was actually pretty roomy. I set my backpack down and started to put up my clothes. Thank God for Downy wrinkle guard. I sprayed, smoothed and tugged on all my garments and hung them up on the clothes rod that most hotels had. If that didn’t work I had noticed that they had an iron hung up on the wall.

By the time we were unpacked it was four thirty. We needed to start getting dressed if we were going to make the invitation by six thirty. “I’m going to jump in the shower and start getting ready.”

Max’s ears got all red and I think I embarrassed him a little. “Oh, ok. I think I’m going to go walk around while you get ready.” Yep he was embarrassed.

“Max. We are both adults and besides it won’t take me that long. You can stay if you want to.”

“Ok.” That didn’t take much persuading.

I grabbed my clothes and my toiletries into the little bathroom. I turned on the shower and started to get undressed. Max knocked on the door. “Liz, I’ll be right back. I forgot something in the car.”

“Ok.” You would swear that I was his mother. He kept telling me everything he was going to be doing like it needed my approval. I stepped into the shower and tilted my head back under the water. It really felt good. I liked Max’s convertible, but I didn’t like what it did to my hair.

<center>I got my head done
When I was young
It's not my problem
It's not my problem
</center>

I don’t think I need to go through all the details of what my shower consisted of. You know the usual, wash, rinse, repeat if necessary. Today it was necessary. I had forgotten my razor in my bag. I thought about not even bothering but decided against it. What would I look like in an evening gown with stubble in my armpits? Not a pretty picture. I reached out and grabbed the towel that was hanging above the toilet and hopped out of the shower. The small bathroom was all steamy and as I opened the door the steam rolled out. I had wrapped the towel around me as tight as I could. I knew I was alone in the room but didn’t want to risk the chance of Max coming in and my towel falling down. It would be my luck if that happened.

I was thumbing through my backpack when the lock on the door clicked. I froze like a deer trapped in headlights. I was staring at the door waiting. Why on earth was I waiting? I had no idea. Yep, you guessed it. In walks Max, flowers in hand. I bet you didn’t expect that. I didn’t that was for sure. He was just too sweet. How could a woman not fall in love with him? I stood up. “Umm I forgot my razor.” Stupid. I had held up the razor for emphasis.

“Well, I wanted to surprise you with these, but I guess the surprise is ruined.”

“Oh, no Max. They’re perfect.” I walked over to him, forgetting that I was dripping wet and only covered in a towel. I took had the razor in one hand and was making sure that the towel wouldn’t fall down with the other. I leaned over to smell them. The white roses were filled with their sweet aroma. “Mmmmm. They smell wonderful. Where did you get them?”

“Ummm. I noticed that there were some flowers around the corner. Since I didn’t want to leave you in the room by yourself for too long I decided that I would do a little voodoo on them. You like ‘em?”

“Are you kidding they are beautiful. Thank you.” I leaned up and kissed him. He wrapped his arms around me and deepened our kiss.

~*~FLASH~*~
I’m in a towel kissing Max.

That was enough to break our kiss. I felt what Max wanted to do with me in that towel and I didn’t think it was the right time for that right now. Once again I was rolling my lips together to taste our kiss. “Umm, I better get back in there before I use up all the hot water. I left the shower running.” I was looking into his eyes that were burning with desire. I’m sure my eyes were saying the same thing.

“Yeah, hurry up will ya. I gotta get ready too.” I turned and headed for the bathroom. I looked over my shoulder. He was mine. “Thanks for the flowers Max. They’re perfect.

I was done in the shower and decided to go ahead and get dressed out in the room where it was cooler. I once again opened up the bathroom door. “Your turn.” I stood beside the clothes rack and waited for him to get up off the bed and make his way into the bathroom so I could finally dry off and start getting ready.

“Don’t come out unless it’s clear.”

“I wouldn’t do that to you. I’ll make sure that you are dressed before I come out of here.”

“Thanks Max.” He shut the door and I started getting ready. He actually took quite awhile in the bathroom, which gave me time to get into my black dress. It wasn’t anything elaborate. Think of the one that I wore in Vegas but in black and back less. Simple.

I was busy drying my hair when Max came out already dressed in his black pants and white undershirt. “It’s too hot in there.”

“Why didn’t you come out earlier? You didn’t have to stay in there for that long. I’ve been dressed for quite awhile now.” I had my hair pulled up trying to decide if it would look good in a French twist or not. Holding my hair in place I turned in almost every direction so I could see how it would look. “What do you think? Up?” I held my hair in place for him to see. “Or down? Which looks better?”

“Can I have it both ways?”

I started to giggle. “You would have to be difficult wouldn’t you? I’ll see what I can do.”

<center>When I feel heavy metal
And I'm pins and I'm needles
Well I lie and I'm easy
All of the time but I'm never sure when I need you
Pleased to meet you
</center>

I was looking at the clock that was on the radio. We had a half-hour to get where we were going. It’s amazing what you can get over the Internet that is if you know what you are looking for. I had directions down to the tenth of the mile on how to get there. Max gave the keys to the valet and we walked on the red carpet to the host. Lets hope that Kyle did a good job. Max handed the gentleman who was fielding all incoming people before they came into the door our fake invitation. Guy, that was his name, looked down and back up again on the list before he stopped and then smile. “Here you are. Mr. Evans you and Ms. Parker can go in. Please enjoy the evening.

Max and I walked into the mansion. “Should we split up?”

“I guess now is best before anyone notices that we are even here.”

He didn’t look too confident so I gave him a kiss and told him, “good luck.”

“You too.” We separated. I went left and he went right. The house was huge and it wasn’t what I expected. The formal living room was the first room I came to. It wasn’t much but had a lot of Native American artifacts like the ones that my grandma had spent most of her life documenting. I continued on my path, weaving in and out of people. I was going down a narrow corridor when it ended in a close door.

I opened it and was immediately inside what appeared to be the master bedroom. It was elaborately done in red silk and white plush carpet. There are candles everywhere. Something catches my eye and I begin to walk to a glass case. Inside is what we’ve been looking for. I better go get Max and see what he thinks we should do.

<center>Yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah
Oh, yeah
Song 2 by Blur
</center>

“The intelligence level of aliens has been greatly exaggerated.” The man was standing giving a speech to a room full of people. I notice Max’s head off to the right side of the man who thought he knew everything. “In fact, at complete maturation they can only achieve the intellectual capacity of a firefly.”

I was watching Max as I approached the group of UFOlogist. He was shifting from side to side. He looked a little bit perturbed about what Dr. Solomon Browning was saying. He mumbled “Firefly.”

The doctor must have heard him because he looked directly at Max and answered, “If that.”

“Well, I'd just like to say that I am an alien, and I'm no firefly.” Whoa Max. What in the world was he doing? These people were not Todd from Hondo. These people had money and they could have friends in high places…

“You're an alien?” Dr. Browning gave a little chuckle like he couldn’t believe it.

“Yes, from the infamous '47 Crash.” Max’s face was as steady as ever.

“I find that hard to believe. You look like a relatively normal homo-sapien.” Dr. Browning was going along with Max as if it were rehearsed.

“Actually, I'm a hybrid. I'm a mix of human DNA and Alien genetic material. And just for the record my alien side is much smarter.” Ok. I would have to talk to him about that. Was he just saying that he is much smarter than I am because he’s half alien? We’ll see about that. The last thing I knew I was the one carrying us to an ‘A’ in Biology.

Dr. Browning came back with an “Interesting.”

I finally reach Max and put my arm around his waist and lean in to give him a hello kiss on the cheek. I whisper into his ear, “We should go, honey.” I look around the room because all eyes were now on us due to the fact of Max’s earlier accusations. I decide to be polite as I take his arm and start to leave the crowd. “Excuse us, excuse us.”

Dr. Browning called after us and I turned my head over my shoulder to look at him. “Oh, young lady. You might be interested in knowing that your date is an alien.”

“Oh, I knew that.” I continued pulling Max behind me and we head towards the master bedroom.

“Why did you say to them?” I was worried. Max had openly exposed himself for what?

“These people have zero credibility in the world. I could say whatever I want. It's actually freeing.” That’s good as long as he feels free now, I will have to remind him how ‘freeing’ it was when the federal government has him in lock down.

“I found the key.” We were almost to the room.

“Where?”

“You'll be happy.” Yeah, just wait till he sees what Shirley Maclaine did with the key that starts his spaceship. Won’t he be happy?

I wish I knew what Max was thinking when we entered the room that was designed for ‘spiritual oneness and great sex’. Those were not my words but the words on the plaque that was nailed to the outside wall. My eyes once again went straight to the red satin sheets, and the hundreds of candles. There in the corner of the room was the display of alien and spiritual artifacts. I stood there waiting for Max to take in the room.

He finally found the words and it wasn’t what I was expecting. “Tell me you'll never be in a better place to consummate anything?”

“That thing looks like it’s sealed. How are we going to get it open and the key out of there without the security guards catching us?” I could see that the wheels in Max’s head were weaving an intricate plan.

“Come on, let’s go look at the rest of the house while we think of something. Surely dinner is going to begin any moment. It wouldn’t hurt to get something in our stomachs.” He took my hand I we headed to where the rest of the crowd was waiting.

Bordersinsanity
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 17 – Short Skirt/Long Jacket

Dinner was glazed chicken and green beans with almond slivers. The conversation between Max and I wasn’t much. I think he was in a zone of trying to figure out what to do next.

<center>I want a girl
With a mind like a diamond
I want a girl
Who knows what's best
</center>

Some one at one of the head tables clanged a utensil against their water glass. “May I have your attention please? Quiet everyone. Please…” Once the crowd quieted some, the speaker began to speak. “I would like to introduce you to Dr. Solomon Browning’s wife, Delores. She has spent many years...”

“And my money” Solomon had added and the crowd giggled.

“trying to add to the Maclaine estate with things that would be appropriate. She will be giving a brief speech in the master bedroom in a half-hour. Those of you who are interested in the diamonds that have been on display please meet there directly after dinner. I don’t want to take up anymore of your time, so, everyone please welcome Delores Browning.” The woman sitting beside good ol’ Solomon stood and did the beauty pageant wave. Delores is probably in her forties and is quite attractive. She looks well taken care of. She should be if she can afford to buy rare alien artifacts as well as diamonds and let them sit around.

<center>I want a girl
With shoes that cut
And eyes that burn
Like cigarettes
I want a girl
With the right allocations
Who's fast and thorough
And sharp as a tack
</center>

Dinner ended and Max grabbed my arm and escorted me out to the back yard. “I think I know what we are going to do.” He looked around and then walked over to the flowerbed that housed one of the garden troll ceramic dolls. He looked around I guess to see if anyone was looking. He must have been pretty sure that no one was around because he swiped his hand over the troll and turned it into a replica of the cylindrical diamond that was on display in the bedroom… Excuse me, the spiritual oneness and great sex room. I had to laugh again.

It was just too funny thinking that the key to an alien spaceship was being used in the great sex room… Just too funny. Max stuffed the fake key into the sleeve of his jacket. “This is what we are going to do.”

We were now in the master bedroom. I had to stay away from what it was really called or else I would just roll on the floor laughing… I was pretending that I was interested in some art on the wall.

Max is at a table set up as a bar, near the diamond. He’s serving a drink to Delores Browning. I hear her tell him thank you. I wasn’t out of hearing distance just far enough to let Max do his magic.

“The honor is mine.” Give me a break. Although I had to admit he could be smooth when he wanted to be.

Delores stood up as if she was about to leave but stops and takes a second look at Max. Max doesn’t want her to leave so he says, “So you're the Delores Browning”

She smiles. “Well, I don't usually put the article before my name.”

Max gave her one of his cute smiles and looked up under half lidded eyes. “So what's it like to actually own all these diamonds?”

<center>She's playing with her jewelry
She's putting up her hair
She's touring the facility
And picking up slack
I want a girl with a short skirt and a lonnnng jacket......
</center>

“I only own some of them. Well, most of them. Anyway.” I get the signal from Max. It wasn’t anything that anyone would have noticed. I get myself worked up to be angry. I really couldn’t do it so I imagined him flirting with Tess and that was it. I was ready to pounce on Mrs. Delores Browning, owner of most the diamonds on display here.

“Yeah. Sorry, I never fraternize. I couldn't help myself. You're very beautiful.” Good one Max. A way into a woman’s heart is to tell her how beautiful she is. I was still imagining her as Tess and my temper was beginning to flare.

“Oh. Oh, well oh. So you're…” There she fell for it. If it ever comes up that something is missing they will be looking at the caterer’s. She thinks Max is a waiter and not an invited guest. Good job, Max.

“I’m here to make sure that your drink is never empty.”

“You’re here for me?” Max nodded his head in agreement before she could finish her thought. “I get it. So you're not really a waiter, you're really an aspiring artist, or actor, or---

“No. I'm just a waiter. I’m not here to ask you for anything. I just really wanted to meet the Delores Browning that I’ve heard so much about."

<center>She's playing with her jewelry
She's putting up her hair
And picking up slack
I want a girl with a short skirt and a lonnnng jacket......
</center>

“God bless you” She was no longer trying to figure out what Max was up to. She was swallowing it hook, line and sinker.

I took my cue and went over to the two of them. “What the hell are you doing?”

“Oh, Liz---“ Max could probably make it as an actor if he was the last man on earth…

“Don’t oh Liz me. What the hell are you doing?”

“Nothing, nothing.” He had his hands firmly place on my upper arms. The heat and the passion that was in that little touch was making it hard for me to concentrate. I shimmied out of his grasp.

“I can't believe you. How many times have I stuck my neck out for you and you stand here obviously all over this woman who's obviously like twice your age.”

“Liz calm down.”

Delores decided that she didn’t belong here and made her goodbye speech. “I better be going.”

<center>I want a girl
Who gets up early
I want a girl
Who stays up late
</center>

Max looked at Delores with a sympathetic look on his face.”I'm sorry about this.”

I was still imagining Delores being Tess and the words just kept on flying out of my mouth. “You're apologizing to this bimbo!?”

“Excuse me?” I think I had gone too far. I had insulted the guest of honor. Oh, well that was the plan.

“Let's just walk away.” Max was acting nervous and the crowd was building. Their murmurs were growing louder and Max thought it was the right time to address the crowd. “Forget it. Everythings ok. Just forget it!”

I was still in acting mode and continued on the path I had started. Nothing was going to stop me. I don’t know if I had taken too many sips of champagne or what, but I wasn’t about to let this slide. In a way I was venting for everything that happened in the past. “That's your answer isn't it. Forget everything. Ignore everything.”

<center>I want a girl
With uninterrupted prosperity
Who uses a machete
To cut through red tape
</center>

I must have been causing a real big scene because it was about this time that the security guard approached us. “Excuse me ma'am. Could you come with me, please?” He was a typical security guy, bald on top… spare tire around the middle and probably too slow in the head. I had ignored him and I take it he didn’t like that too well. He reached out to take my arm but I pulled it away before he could reach it.

“Don't touch me!” I yelled at him and then I saw out of the corner of my eye that Delores was backing up. All my attention was looking directly at her now. “He does this. Okay? You're not special. This is what he does. He professes his everlasting love to me then he goes off with some other woman who's obviously too desperate to see through---” What? I wiped at my eyes. Tears. I was crying. Way to go Parker. Way to get into the role.

“Liz stop it!” Max knew I was acting, but I think the tears were a little too much for him. I was beginning to scare him. I decided to tone it down a little. That’s if I could.

“Young lady, I don't have any idea if you know who you are speaking to.” Delores was trying to act like the smug rich woman that she was. I must have reacted to her words because the security guard tried to intercede once again.

<center>With fingernails
That shine like justice
And a voice that is dark
Like tinted glass
</center>

“Okay, okay!” He was speaking loudly because we must have attracted everyone in the entire mansion.

“I don't!?” I answered her question about who I thought she was. I knew who she was but I had to act like I didn’t. She looked down at me and once again Tess’ face flashed before my eyes. All the hatred and the anger that I had inside of me needed to escape, so I picked up the champagne glass that was sitting on the make-shift bar and flung its contents into her face.

She screams! Do you believe that she screamed over a little bit of champagne? It was enough to get rid of Tess’ face. I looked around and the place going crazy! There are security guards coming out from nowhere. They are heading right for me. I was standing between Max and Delores and she moved out of the way so they could reach me.

“Hey! Don't touch her!” Max was now in between the security guard and me.

Max grabs the first security guard and as he touches his arm, he must have used his powers on the him because he went flying straight back and hit the podium that held the alien key. The alarm sounded, and the diamond fell. Max made a diving catch like a centerfielder, and caught the falling diamond. He rolls over and comes up standing. Holding the diamond out in front of him. Everyone is quiet and they just stand there watching Max. Max walks to Delores and hands her the diamond.

<center>She is fast and thorough
And sharp as a tack
And picking up slack

I want a girl with a short skirt and a lonnnnng.... lonnng jacket
[/center

Yes. The fake diamond… I had to admit that was really smooth how he did that.

“I believe this is yours. I am very sorry.”

I was behind Delores and Max was looking right at me. I stood straight and said, “Get me out of here, Max.”

“Liz” He was searching the crowd to see if they were going to do anything to me.

“You've humiliated me again, now get me out of here.” I had to keep the act up.

Max steps around Delores and says, “Excuse us. I’m sorry for any inconvenience.” He had touched her shoulder and a small smile escaped her lips. Max wraps his arm around me and we walk out. Everyone stands there amazed at what they had just seen. We walk out scott free.

<center>I want a girl
With a smooth liquidation
I want a girl
With good dividends
</center>

Max hands the valet our ticket and in about two minutes our shiny blue convertible is in front of us. Max holds open the door for me and I get in. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” He smiled at me. I looked back at the mansion and not a single person was coming out the front door. How strange… I guess they were glad that we had left.

Max got into the car and I was immediately by his side. We were quiet until we reached our hotel room. I walked in first and he followed. I was facing him as well as the door and waited for him to turn around. When he did I practically plowed him over.

“We did it! I can’t believe we did it!” He lifted me up and we began to twirl around and around.

“I was beginning to worry about you. You were so real. You do know that I didn’t want to have anything to do with Delores right?”

“I know. It’s just that I couldn’t get mad at her at first and then I finally made myself believe that it was Tess. It felt so freeing.” There was that word. Freeing. I just hope that neither one of us will end up being caught for what we just did.

I slid down out of his arms and he stopped to look at me. “Can I see it?” I held out my hand to accept the alien key from him. It was cool and smooth. Just like a diamond. I could understand why they thought it was one. What if it actually was? What if it wasn’t the key after all? “Is it really it?”

“I think so. It has a particular feeling like the other one had.” He moved closer to me. He took me in his arms and looked me straight in the eye. “I couldn’t have done this without you.” He leaned his head down to give me a brief kiss. When he pulled away to look at me again his eyes were shiny. They were happy.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve seen your eyes smile Max.”

“It’s been a long time since you’ve let me love you Liz.” That couldn’t have been more true.

<center>And at the city bank
We will meet accidentally
We'll start to talk
When she borrows my pen
</center>

The night was hardly over and we found ourselves sitting on the bed with nothing to do. Max was flipping through the TV stations to see if anything good was on. I had gone into the bathroom to get out of my dress and into something more comfortable.

Sweats… There wasn’t much I could fit into a backpack so sweats and a t-shirt was the only thing I had. When I emerged from the bathroom Max was already changed into a pair of shorts and shirt. “What do you want to do?” He asked.

“I have no idea. I didn’t think that we would be back so soon.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. We can go walk down Main Street and see if there is anything to do.”

“We could go out to Boynton Canyon and see if we get any sensations or flashes.”

“Really?” He got up and headed for the bathroom. I assume that he’s going to put on a pair of jeans.

Yep. Max came out decked in jeans and I grabbed my sweatshirt just in case I got cold. “You ready?”

“Yeah, let’s go.” He opened up the door for me and waited while I walked through. I stopped right in front of him. “What about the key?”

“I got it.” He held up the key to the room.

“No Max. Not that key the other key.”

“Oh. Don’t worry, I hid it in the bathroom wall. No one’s going to find it unless they saw me do it.”

“Good. I’m glad that you thought about that.”

“Come on lets go.” We got in the car. I had the map as well as the brochure and we headed for the bluff.

<center>She wants a car
With a cup holder arm rest
She wants a car
That will get her there
</center>

I began reading out loud. “Did you know that Boynton Canyon is considered to be both a masculine and feminine energy vortex?”

“What’s that got to do with it.” Max had both hands on the wheel and was heading west on Highway 89A.

“It says here that masculine and feminine energy vortex’s are known for an overall heightening of the senses. They are good for enhancing psychic and clairvoyant abilities and past life memory.” I looked up from the brochure and looked at Max. He didn’t flinch at all. I continued reading. “This is the perfect place to practice meditation. It is reasonably accessible and takes about three hours to hike one way, so plan a day to explore this vortex. It is considered sacred grounds to the Native American Indians. Located in West Sedona off Dry Creek Road to the end where you turn left to the end and turn right to the parking area on the right.”

“Do you know what this means?”

“Yeah. We probably should have brought our sleeping bags and other stuff.”

“We did. I had to make it believable for my mom. The stuff is in the trunk… It says to spend the whole day there. Do you think that we should try and get someone to take us on a guided tour?” At least he was thinking, but I don’t think he realized what we would look like when we get our flashes.

“I don’t think we want anyone around if and when we get our flashes.”

“I guess your right. Remember when Maria walked in on us at Michael’s place. That was really embarrassing.”

“Yeah.” I didn’t feel like I needed to elaborate on the subject any further. We were almost there. The drive was relatively short since our hotel was on Highway 89A. The brochure said that it was only six miles off of the highway.

<center>She's changing her name
From Kitty to Karen
She's trading her MG
For a white Chrysler LeBaron
I want a girl with a short skirt and a lonnnnggggggggg jacket
Long skirt and Short Jacket by Cake
</center>

Max parked the car and we put the trail packs that Max had brought on our backs. “Where do we begin?” I looked around and just started walking. Max followed and didn’t ask where we were going. The trip was long and quiet. Since the moon was the only light we had we didn’t move very quickly. I was watching my step as well as for any snakes that were out and about.

As if we both hit a wall we came to an abrupt halt and looked up the tall rock that stood before us. “This is it.” He said.

“Yeah,” I took off the pack and started to feel the rock. It was amazingly cool since it was so hot during the day. I would think that the red rock would hold more warmth than this. Maybe. I don’t know this might sound stupid but it was worth a try. “Max…”

“Yeah?” He moved closure to me.

“What do you feel when you touch this rock?” I had to know if he thought the same thing I did.

He rubbed his hand along the wall and began walking alongside it feeling every groove every crevice that there was. “It’s cool.”

“Yeah, too cool for it being out here in the hot sun all day… I wanted to see if you thought the same thing as I did.” At the same time we both said, “It’s hollow.”

“That’s what I was thinking.” I walked closer to him and then placed my hand over his that was still resting on the rock. We started walking again as if an invisible thread was pulling us we walked in unison to what seamed to be nothing, but was it really nothing?

We stopped and look at each other and then back at the surface that we were standing in front of. All of the sudden my mind went blank and I couldn’t move from the spot in which I stood. “Max!” I was beginning to get scared. I looked at him and he was pale. “Max!” I screamed at him. Nothing. “Max!” All of the sudden he collapsed and whatever was holding me there let me loose and I ran to him.

“Max! Answer me. Max!” He was starting to sweat. I was starting to get hysterical. What was going on? “Oh, please God. Don’t take him now. Please. Come on Max. Hang in there.” Nothing. I looked up at the night sky. What was I going to do? Once again we had been dealt a crappy hand. Tears started running down my cheeks. I made one swipe at them and took in a deep breath. “Hold it together, Liz.”

I stood up and bent over to pick him up underneath his arms. I needed to carry him to the car. “Come on Max. Hang on. We’re going to make it.” Why did we have to walk so far away from the car? I stopped and took off my jacket. I looked down at Max for just a brief second and got my bearings. I said a small prayer once again and reached down to pick the love of my life up. We had to make it.

Somewhere in the darkness a lone wolf howled at the moon. It was a howl that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I was walking backwards and must have loss my train of thought. I tripped over a weed that was stretched out. The momentum of hauling Max made me fall backwards and he landed almost on top of me. I once again started crying.

“Think.” He was sweating like the time Michael was in the hot house. What can I do? Water. I needed to get him some water and cool his body down. Yeah, that sounded good. I got up and took one more look at Max. He wasn’t convulsing anymore. “Hang on Max. I’ll be back real soon.” I hurried as fast as I could to get back to the packs.

It was amazing how fast I could go or maybe I just thought I was going fast. My mind was racing. What if he died while I was gone? I shook my head no. Don’t think like that. Think positive thoughts. This is all my fault. If I wouldn’t have told him about the key he wouldn’t be in the situation that he was in right now. I swung the one pack over my back and took the other one in my left hand.

By the time I got back to Max I was out of breath. I ridiculed myself for not exercising like I had told myself last week. “Now’s not the time to do this.” I told myself. I opened up the bottle of water that was in the side of the pack. “Thank you Diane.” I knew only a loving mother would make sure that her kids had fresh drinkable water. I ripped a piece of my t-shirt off. I needed it to pour water on so I could cool Max’s head down.

I was no longer crying. Max was no longer shaking and it looked like he was getting some color back into his face. I was still too far from the car; my cell phone was there I could call for help. Why didn’t I think of that sooner? Should I risk leaving Max one more time? “Max. Max. Can you hear me? Max!” He wasn’t responding to me. I looked back in the direction of where the car should be. I couldn’t see it and come to think about it I wasn’t really sure if I was looking in the right direction.

I didn’t belong out in the desert. I wasn’t what you called the outdoorsy type. I was best running hypothesis and figuring out solutions to problems. I pulled Max onto my lap and continued to swab his forehead. “Max. Please don’t leave me. Please not after all that we’ve been through. Please.” I was crying. I had no idea what was going to happen.

Then it dawned on me. I was reverting back to the person I used to be. I straightened my back and took in a big breath. I laid Max back onto the ground stood up once again and slung the pack back onto my back. I had to be careful when I bent over to drag Max so I wouldn’t teeter over and fall on top of him.

“You know you can wake up any time now. I know. You just want to see how far I’m going to drag your sorry butt around aren’t you?” I was talking to myself to keep me calm and I was hoping that Max would hear it and decide to wake up. “Just wait Max Evans, you are going to wish that you never made me drag you clear across the desert. Maybe what I need to do is find a good healthy cactus and let that rub up against your backside. What do you think about that?” I paused as if I were waiting for his reply.

“Well, you’re lucky I can’t see in the dark. You know you are going to owe me big time when tonight is all said and done.” I was still walking backwards and took another look over my right shoulder to see if I was still going in the right direction. At least the direction I thought was right. There in front of my eyes was the sweetest sight I had ever seen… tonight. It wasn’t the greatest of my life but I could admit that it was the best of the night. The car reflected the full moon in its windshield.

I dragged Max the last few yards and then took off the pack and laid his head down on it. He was still unconscious and I wasn’t for sure how long it had been. I reached inside the car and grabbed my cell phone. I turned it on and then tried to dial 911. “Shit! Shit! Shit!” I was out of range. “What else is going to go wrong tonight?” I looked up and said another silent prayer. “Ok… Keys… I need keys.” I went back to Max and started going through his pockets. “Where are the damn keys Max?” I went through them all and came up empty. They must have fallen out of his pocket while I was dragging him.

I sank back down next to Max and felt his forehead. It was much cooler than before and right when I started to relax again he started convulsing again. I didn’t know what to do so I took his head in my lap and just started rocking back and forth. No keys, and no cell phone. Whatever was going to happen was going to happen. I had no control over anything. As I rocked back and forth and the tears poured down my cheeks I ran the events of tonight through my head.

What could be causing him to react this way? Maybe it’s the vortex? Maybe it’s doing something to his system. He’s shutting down. He’s going to die if I don’t get him away from here. How am I going to get him out of here?

I must have been tired because I woke up from dozing. Max’s head was still in my lap and it was still dark outside. What had woke me up? Maybe my subconscious woke me up when it realized that I was asleep. That sounded logical. I checked Max again and realized that he was getting colder out here. He wasn’t wearing a jacket. I set his head down and decided to lay the sleeping bags out. I linked the two together by using the zippers. I rolled Max over onto the open sleeping bag.

His body was so cold. I closed the sleeping bag after I got in with him and then I snuggled up to him. I started kissing his face. “Max. Please come back to me. I’ll be here waiting for you. I’m not going anywhere. Please, just come back.” You could be rich for the number of times I asked him to come back to me tonight. I was desperate and the shaking had started again. His body was still cold.

I had once seen a movie where a couple was stranded in an avalanche and they combined their body heat together and it was enough to keep them alive. I was willing to try anything so I stripped Max down to his boxers and myself down to just my undergarments. His body was cold and just me being this close to him made me start to shiver.

I fell asleep in his arms and him in mine. One last prayer was the last thing I remembered before I lost consciousness.

Bordersinsanity
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 18 – The People That We Love

I tossed and turned with flashes that I had no idea what they were while I slept next to Max. I had woken up almost every ten minutes to check on him. His body temperature was back to normal and it seemed like he was resting well. Just great. Max gets a good night sleep and I get nothing… Well, I couldn’t really say that. If he makes it I will be happy enough. Damn this vortex… Damn it to hell. I know that this is the reason he’s acting this way. I rolled over and began searching the night sky. Looking at nothing in particular until I notice the ‘V’ constellation of Max’s home planet.

All these questions come flooding my mind.

Did Tess really make it back?

Did Max’s son survive the trip back home?

Will he know anything about his father?

Will they come back to finish what she had failed?

As I looked up Max’s hand took hold of me. In that first moment of contact my body tightened up and my skin got the goose bumps. I turned to him and noticed that his eyes were still shut. I rolled over. “Max… Max wake up. Max please. Do you hear me?” Nothing he was still unaware of his surroundings. I couldn’t think of anything else to do but try and make contact with him. Isabel did say that if there were anyone Max would always hear it would be me. It was worth a shot. I had to try and form a connection with him.

<center>Speed kills coming down the mountain
Speed kills coming down the street
Speed kills your presence of mind
Speed kills if you know what I mean
</center>

I cupped his face just like the time he had cupped mine in the Crashdown. The day he let me see what a wonderful man he was. After a few minutes of concentrating I got nothing. Nothing at all. Crap!

Since Max’s body temperature had leveled out I decided to get dressed. The sun was beginning to come up. Maybe I could find the keys to the car. I began to walk away to go search for the keys when Max sat straight up. “Liz!!!” He was breathing hard almost to the point of hyperventilating. “Liz!!!!” He was screaming my name. I ran back and was down on my knees next to him.

“I’m here Max. I’m here.” He buried his face into the crook of my neck and I began comforting him almost immediately. Together we rocked back and forth. He was sobbing and I didn’t know what to do except say, “shhhh. It’s ok… I’m here. I won’t leave you. I’m here Max. I’m here.”

When he had calmed down I took him by gripping the side of his face so that I was now looking directly into his eyes. “You scared me. What happened? Is everything ok? Are you Ok?”

He grabbed me in the same fashion that I had him and he kissed me. He pulled away and was quiet for awhile. “Max? What’s wrong?” He was scaring me.

“I’ve seen it all Liz. I’m not sure I want to continue the search.”

<center>I got to feel woke up inside again
I got to feel this broke or fix
I got to feel, I got outside myself
I got to feel when I touch your lips
</center>

“What do you mean you don’t know if you want to continue? Max we have to continue. Our lives depend on us continuing. The lives of our friends and family depend on us continuing. I don’t know what happened to you and I have no idea what’s made you make this decision, but we are in this together. I have to know Max. Please. Tell me why you don’t want to go any farther.”

He got up and realized that he was only wearing his boxers. “Umm Liz.” His face was beet red. “What happened to my clothes?” Now I was red.

“You were so cold and just being in the sleeping bag wasn’t helping any. I had to get your body temperature up so I used my body heat to help yours get back on track. Nothing happened if that’s what you were worrying about. Nothing.” I shifted under his gaze and I couldn’t help but stare at his almost naked body. He was sexy no doubt about that. I realized that he was waiting for me to point him in the direction of where I had placed his clothes. I got up and headed for the car. I reached over the door and got his t-shirt and jeans. I stood up straight and walked over to where he was standing and gave him his clothes. I turned around so I could give him some privacy. I don’t know why now of all times, but it felt like the right thing to do.

“Where are the keys?” Max asked. I turned to look at him.

“Ummm I’m not for sure. They have to be someplace between here and the rock. I was just getting ready to go look for them.”

“How did they get lost?”

<center>The things we do to the people that we love
The way we brake is it something we can’t take
Destroy the world that we took so long to make
</center>

I didn’t know what to say. “You collapsed back at the rock and I didn’t know what to do except get you to the car. Well, while I was dragging you, your keys must have fallen out of your pockets. I’m not for sure how or where. All I know is that when I got to the car I had no keys.” There… how hard was that. I wasn’t looking at him. I knew I had disappointed him about losing the keys.

He walked over to me. I could tell because I could see his feet before me. “Look at me.” He took my face in his hands and made me look at him.

“I’m sorry Max.”

“Don’t be. You did your best.”

“Yeah, but my best wasn’t good enough. I know now more than ever that I need to be stronger. I need to get stronger. If I ever had to carry you or anyone else I wouldn’t be able to do it. I would have failed. Last night only showed me what I need to do… What kind of person am I if I don’t do what I expect everyone else to be doing?”

“Liz, don’t. You’re being too hard on yourself. You did good. You did nothing wrong.”

“Max, you don’t know that. You didn’t see me crying my eyes out because nothing was going the right way.”

<center>We expect to come for some time
I wish us safe from home
</center>

“Liz. I was there. In a way that is.” He was smiling at me. I could see that he loved me and he didn’t think that I had let him down. “Besides, the keys don’t really matter. We can get the car started without them.” He turned around and bent over to pick up the sleeping bags. “You’re right. We do have to continue. Everyone is depending on us whether they believe it or not. We got a long drive ahead of us. We need to go check out of the hotel and get back on the road. I hope you don’t mind going to Utah.”

“Utah? What’s in Utah?”

“Our ship.”

“You saw where the ship is?”

“Yeah, and a lot more. Come on I’ll tell you on the way there.”

We were back at the hotel. I was scurrying around picking up odds and ends from the previous night. Max was in the bathroom. I had already showered and changed into a pair of black cargo pants, black tank and my black Doc Martens. We were going to Utah to see if what Max saw in the visions were true.

<center>To find yourself, in a foreign land
Another refugee, outside a refugee
</center>

The plan was to scope it out and see if the convenience store actually existed if it did we would come up with a better plan later on… Today was Friday and we had to be back home on Sunday afternoon. School started Monday and there was no way that we could miss the first day.

Max walked out of the bathroom dressed pretty much in the same attire as I was. Black. He looked good in black but better in a deep, deep blue. “You got everything?”

“Yeah, it’s all in the car.” Max had made new keys for the car. He wasn’t too worried about the lost set. The only thing on the key ring were the car keys… No one would know to whom they belonged to.

“I think I have everything let’s go.”

We got in the car and pulled out onto the highway. “So where exactly are we going in Utah?”

He turned his head and smiled. I didn’t know what was so funny so I asked. “What’s so funny?”

“You are.”

“What? What’s so funny?”

“You were there. I saw you in my vision. You were there all along.”

“Max. I don’t know what you are talking about. I don’t remember having any visions last night. The only thing I did was haul you from one end of the desert to the other. I didn’t have time to stop and experience any visions.” I know I had said earlier that I tossed and turned with flashes while Max had a good nights sleep but I wasn’t aware of what they were. “Maybe your subconscious just put me there because I kept on trying to get through to you?” That sounded reasonable.

<center>How’s it feel she’s coming up roses
How’s it feel she’s coming up sweet
How’s it feel it’s all in spite of you
How’s it feel when she’s out of your reach
</center>

“Maybe.” He looked over at me and held out his hand. I took it and he pulled me closer to him. I really liked being this close to him. I always had the feeling that this is where I belonged, by his side.

Every muscle in my body relaxed and I drifted off into a restful sleep.

~*~FLASH~*~
Max and I are in front of a convenience store. We’re dressed like we were when we left Arizona. I have the gun pointed down in front of me and Max is following. We’re staking out the convenience store and are about to get to the ship.

I startled awake. “It’s not going to work.”

“What? What’s not going to work.” Max was looking at me worry written all over his face.

<center>What happened to you
What happened to you
</center>

“Where are we?”

“We’re about three hours out of Blanding Utah.”

“Max. I saw what we did. We can’t go in there like that.”

“What do you mean?”

“We held up the convenience store in broad daylight. That’s never going to work. We have to do it right before closing and at night. We will need ski masks and we need to have a good plan.”

“You had a vision?”

“Yes.”

“It showed you the future?”

“I think so.” I hadn’t thought about that. “Do you think it could have been?”

“I think so. The visions that I experienced were nothing like I have had before. It looked like someone was leading me.”

“Not something?”

“No… I felt…” He drifted off and didn’t finish his thought.

“Max what did you feel?”

“Huh?”

“You said you felt something while you were having the flashes. What did you feel?”

Max took the next exit. He ignored my question and said, “I have to tell Michael and Isabel what’s going on. They need to know that our search maybe over.”

<center>The things we do to the people that we love
The things we do to the people that we love

The People That We Love by Bush
</center>

“Ok.” I sank deeper into the seat and was looking out the passenger side of the car now. Max got out and placed his hand over the coin slot of the telephone. It was best that he didn't use my cell phone. There are ears everywhere. Nothing’s safe.

He wasn’t that far away so I could hear his conversation. “Michael, its me. I can’t tell you. You know the key we’ve been looking for? We found it.” Michael must be trying to catch up. “I need you to come get it.” There was a pause evidently Michael was bucking the order. “It’s not safe. You can find it under a billboard that says "Mormon Life-Family Values; A Family Valued." It’s on highway 89 North just as you turn right onto Highway 160… Got it.” He paused. “Michael I need you to get it. It doesn’t matter what Isabel says. She doesn’t have to save her son. She doesn’t know what it’s like being me.” He paused yet again. Isabel was calling the shots at home? That was weird. “Michael, please. It’s not safe if I keep it.” So, I finally find out that Max does still think about saving his son. I didn’t expect him to forget about him; it’s just that I guess I was living in a fantasy world. I didn’t hear the rest of the conversation because I was still dwelling on the fact that Max had said that Isabel had no idea what it was like to be looking for his son.

I jumped when Max returned to the car. “Max, why is it so important that we get rid of the key?” He looked at me. It didn’t look good. “What? You’re killing me.”

“I’m sorry. It’s just like you said earlier. You think you saw the future, well, so did I.” He was now turned so he was facing me. He grabbed my hand and then gently cupped my face. “I can’t asked you to go any farther with me. This isn’t your fight. The road ahead is too dangerous. I don’t want you to be involved.”

I started shaking my head from side to side. “No! We promised. No matter what. No! I’m not letting you go the rest of the way by yourself. No! Don’t tell me that.” He was pleading with me with his amber eyes. Please, they were saying. “No. I’m not leaving you. Whatever happens to you will happen to me. Don’t make me go back on the promise we made to each other. I can’t believe that you are even asking me.”

“Liz, please, there’s a chance that it could get dangerous and I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“No! Max there’s a chance that I can get hurt in my own home, or at school, or in the grocery store. There’s possibility everywhere and I know that I have a better chance of surviving when I’m with you. So, don’t even think of me not going any farther. I’m going and that’s final.” I pulled my face from his hands and sat back in the seat with my arms folded across my chest. “I can’t believe you!” I was fuming… If he knew what was best for him he would drop the subject of me staying behind.

“Ok, but we have to change the way we did what we saw.” I knew what he was talking about. We needed to protect ourselves. Our identity most of all. If anything went wrong we didn’t want anyone to be able to identify us.

“Fine. I think that is the best thing you’ve said in the last ten minutes.” We continued down the road and Max threw the key out of the car right where he told Michael to look. I hope he finds it. It would be just our luck to find the ship and not have a key to start the damn thing.

After a few miles I decided to break the silence. “What’s going on with Michael and Isabel?”

“Isabel doesn’t want us to pursue this venture anymore. She says that we should just stay here. We are just going to get killed if we go back. Why take our chances?”

“Doesn’t she realize what could happen if you don’t find your ship? Her life won’t ever be the same again.”

“I know that and you know that. Michael probably knows that but is refusing to admit it, but Isabel has changed. I haven’t really pinpointed what is going on with her.”

I mulled over what Max had said about Isabel. I know that Alex’s death was hard on her, it was hard on us all.

We had stopped at a truck stop to fill up on gas and to get something to eat. I was scanning the restaurant and no one really jumped out at me. We ate and made small talk. Max didn’t want to say anything about what we were about to do. We both knew that we wouldn’t hurt anybody but if we ever got caught the officials wouldn’t know that we didn’t mean any harm. We just wanted back what was ours.

We were back on the road and before the sun went down all the way we went into the convenience store where Harlan worked. He was a man in his fifties, chain smoker and bone thin. His diet evidently consisted of cigarettes and black coffee. Nothing more. The bell above the door rang and Max and I went in. We went to go get drinks out of the refrigerator unit and then scanned the room for everything else we needed to know.

There on our right was the bread rack that Max had seen in the vision he had while in the backyard of his house. There weren’t any security cameras except the one focused on the cashier. That would be easy enough to take out. I went up to Harlan and gave him the two bottles of soda that we had picked out. “So, Harlan, is it always this slow around here or what?” I was probing.

“Yeah, but they just won’t close this place down. It’s been here for over fifty years and has never made a profit. Can you believe that? What idiot would continue to lose money? I would cut my losses and take what I could and go to California.”

“I know what you mean.” Harlan didn’t know what he was really sitting on. The government needed a front and this store was perfect. Who would believe that the alien ship that crashed in 1947 is hidden here? Not me. That is not until I met Max and the others. I took one more look around the cashier’s counter and noticed that there was a camera monitoring the parking lot as well as the gas pumps. We would have to do something about that as well. I slapped down my five-dollar bill and waited for my change. Harlan was a nice man. I really didn’t like what I was going to do to him tonight; but if everything went well we would be back in Roswell and Harlan would still be working. I hoped.

It was dark now and no one had been into the convenience store all day. Max turned to me and he took me with his hands. “You ready?

“I think so.” I had hesitated just a bit.

“Liz, you don't have to do this.” It must have been more than a bit of hesitation.

“No. We're in this together. That's what we said. Together ‘til the end.” I leaned up and kissed him. I paid extra attention to his lips. I inhaled his scent. I ran my hands up and down his chest and through his hair. I wanted to remember everything that was him. I knew we would be ok, but just in case I wanted one more kiss. We broke away from the kiss and I closed my eyes reviewing what all I would be doing in the next few minutes of my life.

“Let’s do this.” We looked one more time at each other and then pulled the black ski masks that we had purchased in town earlier, over our faces.

<center>Did you give up?
Did it get easier?
Did all those things that you wanted come together in the end
</center>

<center>Was I the one?
Was I even there?
Did you ever really notice?
I never really cared, She smiled and looked at me and said
</center>

<center>You don’t know what its like
What its like
What its like
You don’t know what its like
What its like
What its like
I feel like nothing at all
What its like
What its like
</center>

<center>Did you forget?
Did you believe in me?
Did all those things I promised come out empty in the end?
</center>

<center>Any regrets
Any dreams you missed
Comfort comes with patients
Serenity
Yeah, yeah
</center>

What its like
What its like
What its like
What its like
What its like
What its like?
</center>

<center>I feel insignificant
I feel nothing at all
I feel insignificant?
</center>

<center>Did you give up?
Did it get easier?
Every little word lingers and slips down from?
</center>

What its like
What its like
What its like
What its like
What its like
What its like?
</center>