Tomorrows Yet to Come (CC ALL,YTEEN/MATURE) [COMPLETE]

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

majiklmoon
Addicted Roswellian

Tomorrows Yet to Come (CC ALL,YTEEN/MATURE) [COMPLETE]

Post by majiklmoon »

Rating: YTEEN – MATURE

Disclaimer: Roswell, and it’s characters do not belong to me. Melinda Metz, Jason Katims and 20th Century Fox have that particular pleasure. I’m simply borrowing them until the Season 2 DVD’s get here.

Author’s Note: Thanks to everyone who read Love Changes Everything the first installment in the Antar to Earth and Back series, and made it such a success. I really enjoyed re-writing Season 2. I wasn’t planning on doing a sequel, and yet, here I am, laptop open, typing frantically. Please bear with me as I figure out where this story is supposed to go.

Prologue

It’s all about time. Time heals all wounds, they say, but does it really? Because I don’t feel healed. Sure, we’re safe. There never was any special unit, and Tess is gone, but at what cost? Alex is alive, but my baby is dead.

I won’t say that the past year and a half was easy. Ava took Tess’ place at school. It was hard to hear the teachers and students call her Tess, in fact, it was horrible. But we just kept calling her Ava, and eventually, people picked up on it, no questions asked. The hardest thing for me, for all of us was knowing that we were married. I was married to Max Evans, but couldn’t tell my parents. How would I even be able to explain it? We had to go back to ‘dating’, and saying good night at my front door, but it didn’t change the fact that the Granolith had bound us together, forever.

Isabel had planned to graduate early, but after everything that happened, she decided to graduate with the rest of us. Maria and Ava struggled to get Michael to attend classes, and he managed to squeak by as well.

We were entering a new chapter in our lives. It was time to leave Roswell, but I didn’t want to go. How could I leave the place where my baby had been conceived, and died? And yet, how could I stay? I couldn’t tell my parents that I didn’t want to go away to college any longer. But the truth was, I didn’t. I didn’t want to go away, and I didn’t want to stay. There were times when I didn’t even want to live.

But as with so many other things, I didn’t have a choice, and live I did. Max and Maria dragged me through our senior year activities, including the prom, SAT’s, and college applications. They didn’t understand, nobody did. I just didn’t care anymore.

Now it is time to start a new chapter in my life. Everything is packed, Max is picking me up tomorrow and we are leaving for college. Our parents accepted the inevitable; we were going to the same school. Isabel and Alex were going east to New York City, along with Michael and Maria. Isabel and Alex were both going to college, and Maria was going to pursue her singing career. Michael didn’t have a clue what he was going to do. He was just kind of floundering aimlessly. Kyle and Ava were planning on traveling for a year before deciding what to do next. Ava missed out on a lot, living the way she did, and Kyle wanted to do whatever he could to make it up to her. She’ll be fine; they’ll all be fine.

Liz closed her journal and slipped it into her backpack. She looked around her room. It looked so strange. All of the little knickknacks that made it her room were packed, and in the trailer that was hitched to the back of Max’s car.

“Liz, Liz honey, Max is here,” her mother yelled from downstairs.

Liz ignored her mother and climbed out the window and onto her private rooftop patio. She walked over to the brick wall, and passed her hand over the bricks. The heart with ME + LP appeared. Liz looked first at it, and then at the spot where she and Max had cemented their relationship, and conceived their child.

“Liz, are you ready?” Max asked, sticking his head through the window. “We really need to get going before it gets any later.”

“Yeah, sure, I’m ready,” said Liz. She passed her hand over the bricks again and extinguished the glowing letters. “Max, do we have to leave? Why can’t we just stay here?”

“Stay here and do what, Liz, mourn? We have to get on with our lives.”

“Yeah, so you keep telling me,” Liz said bitterly. “Fine, let’s go.”

She pushed past him and climbed through the window and grabbed her backpack. Liz stopped and took one last look around the room of her childhood, then turned, and walked out the door.[/img]
Last edited by majiklmoon on Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:02 pm, edited 90 times in total.
majiklmoon
Addicted Roswellian

Chapter 2 added 7/6/04

Post by majiklmoon »

Disclaimer: Roswell, and it’s characters do not belong to me. Melinda Metz, Jason Katims and 20th Century Fox have that particular pleasure. I’m simply borrowing them until the Season 2 DVD’s get released.

Tomorrows Yet to Come

Rating:PG – R

Chapter 1A New Beginning

Max found us an apartment today. Our parents weren’t too thrilled at the thought of us living together, but since they aren’t paying for school, they really don’t have a say in the matter. We both received scholarships, not that we needed them. We still have all the money we won in Las Vegas. How long ago it all seems. We were so young, and so happy. I don’t feel young anymore. I don’t feel anything except for despair. I don’t want to feel this way.

Classes start next week. I’m sure it will be interesting. God, two years ago, the thought of college was so exciting. I couldn’t wait to leave West Roswell High, and learn. Now, even learning things isn’t a challenge. Like Max, and Isabelle, I can read a book once, and get it. No more struggling to comprehend obscure equations, it’s all so simple.

I’m really going to make an effort to at least appear interested. It isn’t fair to Max if I act this way.

“Liz, are you ready?” Max called from the bathroom. “I want you to see the apartment, and then we can go pick out some furniture.”

Liz slipped her pen into her journal to mark her space, and closed the book. She looked around the impersonal hotel they had checked into while Max looked for an apartment. It will be nice to get out of here, she thought to herself.

“I’m ready,” she called to Max. “Listen, I was thinking about furniture. We probably shouldn’t get anything great. It’s probably just going to get ruined, you know, from parties and stuff.”

“What?” Max yelled from the bathroom. He wiped the steam away from the mirror and stared at the expression of joy that appeared on his face. Liz was showing an interest in something!

Play it cool, he thought to himself.

“Yeah, that makes sense,” he called back to her. “Any ideas about where to go and such?”

“Um, maybe,” said Liz, reaching for the phone book. She thumbed through it, while Max joined her on the bed. “We could try Good Will, or the Salvation Army or something,” she said.

“That’s a good idea,” said Max. “And besides getting ruined, we don’t want to look like we’re rich spoiled kids who’s parents are giving them everything.”

“Instead, we’re aliens and humans who have beat the system in Las Vegas,” joked Liz half-heartedly.

“We should probably think about getting you a car of your own, too,” said Max.

“No, I don’t think so,” said Liz. “We’re close enough to the campus for me to walk, right?”

“Yeah, and besides, we have pretty much all the same classes,” he admitted.

“At the same time, I’ll bet,” said Liz, raising her eyebrow.

“Well, yeah, actually. Freshman year, it’s all pretty much general education requirements, so I figured we might as well stick together. That way I can chase away any guys that start chasing after you.”

“Like that’s going to happen,” said Liz, playing along. “Hey, lets get out of here and go see this wonderful apartment you found.”

Max drove them through the campus, and showed Liz the what buildings housed their different classrooms.”

“Great, what about the apartment?” said Liz.

“Well, actually, that’s kind of a surprise,” said Max. He drove into the parking lot tall building, located on the campus. “Freshmen are eligible for married student housing this year. I figured it might be more fun for us to live on campus. This way, we’ll be in the thick of things.”

“Max, really?” said Liz, a bit of excitement coloring her voice.

“Yeah, and as residence, we’re eligible for meal plans, so we can eat in the dining hall if we want to.”

“Not that we’d want to very much,” said Liz. “If all the rumors about school food is true. Can we see it now?”

“We can move in today if we want,” said Max. “Official move in day for students is tomorrow, but I talked the Resident Director and told him we were staying in a hotel, and he said it was no big deal if we moved in tonight.”

He shut the car off, and got out of the car, and ran around the side and opened Liz’s door. “Right this way, Mrs. Evans,” he said with a bow.

Together they walked up the asphalt walkway and into the cool interior of the building.

“Max, hi, how’s it going? Is this your wife?” asked a heavyset man with glasses and a beard.

“Hey, Fred, thanks for letting us move in today. That hotel was getting pretty confining.” He turned to Liz. “Liz, this is Fred, he’s the Resident Director for Wilson Hall. Fred, this is my wife, Liz Evans.”

“Hi,” said Liz. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you to, Liz,” said Fred, reaching to shake her hand. “Max, did you bring that paperwork? I just need confirmation that you two kids are all official before I give you your keys.”

“Yeah, I got it right here,” said Max. He reached into the back pocket of his well-worn jeans and pulled out several folded pieces of paper. Here is a copy of our marriage license, and our class registrations.”

“Great,” said Fred, taking the papers from Max. “I’ll just make a copy of these and get them right back to you. Vegas wedding huh? How was it?”

“Pretty cool, actually,” said Liz. “It was kind of a group thing.”

Fred led them over to his office, which was situated off the main lobby, and quickly made copies of their documents.

“Here you go,” he said, handing the documents back to Max. “So, any preference about what floor you want to live on?”

“What do you suggest, Fred?” asked Max. “Seems to me that you know all the ins and outs of this place.”

“Well, the first floor is pretty great as far as getting in and out pretty quick, but you have a much better view the higher up you go, ” mused Fred.

“Liz, what do you think?” asked Max.

“What? Oh, um, well, where are the laundry facilities?” asked Liz.

“There are washers and dryers on each floor,” Fred said, proudly.

“Oh, well, in that case, I guess the first floor would be best,” said Liz.

“Sure, the first floor would be great,” agreed Max. Secretly, he was disappointed, he had wanted the top floor, but if Liz was showing an interest in something, he wasn’t going to discourage it in any way.

“Well, great, let me see,” said Fred, checking his clipboard. “I can give you, oh perfect, how about 285?”

“2? 85,” asked Max. “I thought you said it was the first floor?”

“It is,” said Fred, rolling his eyes. “The idiot who designed this building put a dining hall, and a recreation room in the basement, as well as a few offices and such.”

“Let me guess,” said Max. “Those are the rooms in the hundreds?”

“Exactly,” agreed Fred. “Let me see, I’ll just grab the keys and show you where to go. 285 is on the south side of the building, so you’ll get a lot of sunlight during the day.”

“285 south?” Liz asked incredulously. “No way, you’re not kidding?”

“No, why?” asked Fred, curiously.

“Oh, no reason,” said Liz, pulling at the hem of her tank top. Some friends and I took a road trip done 285 south one time. It was just funny coincidence.” She shot Max a wry look, and followed Fred down the hallway.

“Well, here it is, folks. If you need anything, or have any questions, just give a shout. If I’m not in class, I’m here. I, I –uh don’t get out much,” Fred added, bashfully.

“Thanks Fred,” said Max, taking the keys from him. “We’ll catch you later, okay?”

“Oh, yeah, sure, okay,” said Fred, clearly disappointed.

“Hey, Fred,” Liz said, suddenly. “We’re going to go do some shopping and stuff, and bring back a pizza. Did you want to eat with us tonight?”

“Sure, great,” said Fred, brightening visibly. “That would be great.”

“We should be back around six,” said Liz. “Do you like pepperoni?”

”Yeah! And I’ll pick up some tonic and stuff, okay?”

“Great, we’ll see you later.”

Liz and Max watched while Fred walked down the hall, whistling. After he turned a corner and disappeared from view, Max turned to Liz.

“What did you do that for?” he asked. “It’s our first night in our first home!”

“Well, he seemed so lonely,” said Liz. “And after all, he is doing us a favor, letting us move in early.”

“You’re right,” said Max. “I just wanted you all to myself.” He inserted the key in the lock and opened the door. Before Liz could take a step, he swung her up into his arms, and carried her over the threshold to their new home.

Liz wrapped her arms around him, and kissed him passionately, while a video camera, hidden behind an air conditioning vent in their new living room, filmed the event.
majiklmoon
Addicted Roswellian

Post by majiklmoon »

This part sucks...lots of details, no plot, no real point. Maybe it will all have a reson later, but i sure can't see it now :(

Disclaimer: Roswell, and it’s characters do not belong to me. Melinda Metz, Jason Katims and 20th Century Fox have that particular pleasure. I’m simply borrowing them until the Season 2 DVD’s get released.

Tomorrow’s Yet to Come

Rating: PG – R

Chapter TwoOne Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Liz was like a kid gone wild at the used furniture store that they discovered. She picked out a sofa in slightly better condition than the one that used to inhabit Michael’s old apartment, a couple of chairs that had seen better days, but were still usable. Next she moved on to end tables and a coffee table.

“Do we really need one that big, and so ugly. Look at it, it’s a wreck.” Max asked, looking at the oak monstrosity that Liz had just declared perfect.

“Oh yeah,” said Liz. “Think about it. We can work at it, and eat on it. It’s perfect!”

“You’re the boss,” said Max. “At least in all things decorating. I’ll tell you what. You keep at it, and I’m going to go to that U-Haul place we passed down the street and see if we can get a truck to get it all back to the apartment.”

“Oh, I never thought of that,” said Liz. “We can forget about some of this stuff, I mean, we don’t really need it.”

“Liz, relax, we do need it. I’m not planning to spend all my time sitting on the floor, are you? One thing I insist on, though, is a new bed. I want our first bed to be OUR’S, and not anybody’s old castoff.”

“Agreed,” said Liz. “You go get the truck, I’ll see about some lamps, and then, it’s off to a real furniture store for a bed.”

“And after that, we hit the electronics store,” declared Max. “We’ll need computers and stuff, don’t forget.”

Max left Liz, wandering around the store, and walked down to the U-Haul down the next block. Less than thirty minutes later, he was parked out front of the store with a big orange truck with an alien in a space ship painted on its sides. Underneath it were the words, New Mexico. He joined Liz back in the store, and paid for all their purchases.

“Excuse me, sir,” said the cashier. “Did you want to make arrangements for delivery? It’s an extra charge.”

“No thanks,” said Max, grinning. We got it covered.” He pointed to the truck outside and watched as Liz put her hands over her mouth to smother the laughter that threatened to bubble out.

“Please drive around back, and you can pick up your purchases on the loading dock,” said the cashier. “It will be a few minutes until some of the stock guys can bring it out to you.”

“Thanks,” said Max, flashing his best Tom Cruise grin at her.

“I’ll see if I can hurry them along,” said the now flustered cashier.

“That was nasty,” said Liz as they walked to the truck. “Almost as nasty as that truck. I suppose you had to pay extra for it?”

Max started the vehicle and drove it around the building to the loading area.

“Honestly, it was the only one they had available on such short notice,” said Max. “If we could have waited until tomorrow, we could have gotten the one with Mount Rushmore on it.”

“Jerk,” said Liz, slapping him lightly. “Come on, let’s get the stuff loaded and find a bed. I was thinking, after that, you could go do the electronics thing, and I’ll hit the nearest Wal-Mart for sheets and dishes and stuff. We don’t really have too much of that stuff. Then I’ll make a grocery store run, you can return the U.F.O. truck and I’ll meet you, and we can get the pizza and have dinner.”

“Sounds like a plan,” said Max, as he backed the truck against the loading dock. He struggled to keep the relief out of his voice. Liz was acting like Liz again. She had a plan, and nothing was going to stop her from following it.

“Can I make a suggestion though?” he asked carefully. “How about after we find the bed, we bring all the furniture back to the apartment and unload it. I don’t really want to be driving all around the city with a truck full of furniture.”

“Sure,” said Liz. “Good thinking, Max.” She smiled at him, but her eyes didn’t reflect the smile. This is so hard, she thought to herself. All I want to do is to be left alone. Everything is moving too fast for me. Why can’t we just slow down? She shook her head.

“What, is there a problem?” asked Max.

“What, oh, no. My, uh, my hair was in my face,” improvised Liz.

They climbed out of the truck and Max ran and opened the loading door. With the help of the stock boys, they made short work of loading the furniture. The road silently, each lost in their own thoughts, to the nearest furniture store. The wandered around the store for a while, looking half-heartedly at the various bedroom sets.

“Do you see anything you like at all?” said Max.

“No, I, wait, what’s that,” said Liz, pointing to a dark room.

They walked over to the room. The sign above it said seconds and defective goods. Liz pulled Max inside and began to look around.

“There it is!” she cried excitedly. Max looked to where she was pointing and saw an enormous headboard and footboard made of oak, and stained in a golden honey color. The headboard had an intricate carved design of oak leaves and acorns, as did the footboard.

“Liz, look,” said Max, in dismay. He pointed to a giant gouge in the headboard, and a crack in the footboard.

“It doesn’t matter,” said Liz, looking at him meaningfully. It’s perfect!”

“Fine, said Max, shortly. “I’ll go get a sales person.” He was happy Liz was showing an interest, but he was getting a little tired of catering to her every whim. He couldn’t see why they should spend money on defective goods.

The salesperson wrote up their order, and made sure that they understood that there were no returns on defective materials. Max nodded to show that he understood, they paid the bill and made arrangements to pick up the new bed, as well as a box spring and mattress. After everything was loaded on the truck, they drove slowly through the town back to the campus.

“How are we going to get all this stuff inside?” Liz asked as Max parked the truck.

“A combination of muscle power, and alien power, I guess,” said Max. They climbed out of the truck and stood looking at it, and each other for a minute.

“Well, this is certainly productive,” said Liz with a small grin. “Tell you what, get this thing opened, and I’ll go prop open the front door.” She jogged off up the walkway and propped opened the doors to the building with a couple of rocks. Max lifted the door the truck, and climbed up and began to push the mattress to the edge.

“I’ve got it Max,” said Liz from down below. Max eased the mattress down into Liz’s arms, and together they guided it to the floor. Max jumped down off the truck and took one end of the mattress, and he and Liz began to carry it up the walkway to the building.

“Hey, do you guys need any help?” they heard a voice call.

“Oh, Fred, hi,” said Liz, peeking out from behind the unwieldy mattress. “Sure, that would be great. Will you take this end, and I’ll run inside and unlock the door to the apartment?”

“Sure thing,” Fred said, amiably. “Glad to be of assistance. Usually on moving day, you find everybody helping everybody else, but since you all are here a day early, you’ve only got me.”

“Well, we’ll take all the assistance we can get,” said Max. “Thanks again.”

“No problem. Hey, if you can afford to spring for a few more pizza’s, I may be able to round up a few more guys,” offered Fred.

“Let me just check with Liz,” said Max, as the two walked up the path, carefully balancing the mattress between them.

“Ask me what,” said Liz, meeting them at the door to the building.

“Oh, Fred said if we could swing a few more pizza’s, he may be able to round up a few more people to help,” explained Max.

“Sure, sounds great,” Liz said cheerfully. “I’m just gonna head down to the truck and see what I can lift.”

Liz jogged down the short path to where the truck was parked, her thoughts racing a mile a minute. I so don’t want to have to deal with people tonight, she thought to herself. But I guess I really don’t have a choice. I know Max is missing Michael, and this will give him an opportunity to meet some people. As long as I don’t have to do much socializing, everything will be fine.

Liz climbed into the truck, and using her powers to help lighten the load, unloaded the box spring, the head and footboards, as well as the two very ratty chairs.

“Wow,” said Fred, when he and Max returned to the truck. “How did you get all that stuff down already?”

“Oh, a couple of guys offered to help while they waited for their ride,” lied Liz. “Who was I to say no?”

“Fred called in the reserves,” said Max. “He has four friends coming over, so pretty much all you have to do is oversee,” said Max.

“Sounds like a plan,” said Liz. “Too bad we left your car at the used furniture place. I could have run to the store while you guys did the heavy work.”

“Tell you what,” said Fred. He was so excited, he was almost jumping around like an over excited puppy. “I have to run to the local discount store, and the grocery store after this. How about if you ride with me, Liz, and Max can return the truck and pick up his car.”

Liz shot Max a look, and he nodded imperceptibly, and Liz smiled at Fred. “Sure, that sounds like a great plan,” she said. “You can fill me in on all the best places to shop. But I do have quite a few things to pick up, so it may take a while.”

“That’s not a problem,” said Fred. “And look, here comes the cavalry!” He pointed to an old Chevy Malibu that had just pulled into the parking lot.

Fred quickly introduced his friends, Bill, Steve, Chuck and Justin, and together with Max, they made short work of unloading everything from the truck and getting it into the apartment.

“Thanks a lot, guys,” said Max. We really appreciate all the extra help. Right now, we can’t even offer you water, we don’t have any glasses yet, but if you come back, um, around 8:00,” he looked at Liz for confirmation, “yeah, around 8:00, we can promise pizza and cold soda.”

“Great, man,” said Bill, or maybe it was Chuck, Liz wasn’t really sure. “We’ll be here around 8:00, we’re always in the market for some pizza.”

“I’m gonna run back to my place for a second,” said Fred. “Liz, just stop by when you’re ready to go. It’s the apartment next to the office, okay?”

“Okay, Fred,” Liz answered. She watched as Fred escorted his friends out the door and turned to Max.

“That was nice of them,” she said. “Helping us like that.”

“Yeah, it was,” said Max. Were our conversations always this forced and stilted, he wondered to himself. “Well, listen, I’m gonna head out and get the truck back and hit the nearest Best Buy. Do you want a particular type of computer or anything?”

“No, whatever you want is fine,” said Liz. “I’m just going to fool around here for a bit, and then head out with Fred. I’ll see you later, okay?”

“Yeah, fine,” said Max. He looked worriedly at Liz, opened his mouth to say something then closed it and turned to the door. “I’ll see you later then.”

“Yeah, bye, Max,” Liz said. She waited until he was out the door, and then walked over to their new sofa. She pressed her hand against the material, and watched as it changed from a stained gold plaid, to a rich, red chenille. She stepped back to admire the effect, and shook her head. She touched the sofa again, and it changed to a green and beige plaid with a definite country look to it. She looked again, and then changed it back to her original gold. Liz picked up her bag, and walked out the door, carefully locking it behind her, while behind the vent, the camera filmed everything.
majiklmoon
Addicted Roswellian

Chapter Three ~ 7/7/04

Post by majiklmoon »

Tomorrow’s Yet to Come

Chapter Three A Kind of Healing

We’ve been here for three weeks, and it’s been a little bit easier each day. Maybe Max was right; maybe a change of scenery is what I needed. Something new and different to take my mind off of things. College is certainly different than high school. The work isn’t any harder, Max saw to that when he healed me. It’s the people; that’s what’s different. Most people in my classes really seem to care about learning, and doing well. High school was more about marking time until you graduated. Here, learning takes place. People talk about academic things. It’s actually kind of fun. And then there’s Fred. Poor sweet, socially inept Fred. He’s been great, he really has. He gave me permission to paint the apartment. The only stipulation was I had to restore it to its original color before we moved out. That certainly won’t be hard.

Liz paused and put the pen down and looked around the apartment. The combination living and dining room’s soft yellow walls glowed with the reflecting light of the setting sun. The furniture was now covered in a dark green chenille material, and the coffee table was restored to a burnished honey color. Photographs of their friends covered the walls, and it made Liz feel incredibly safe to see Michael, Kyle and Alex watching her from one picture, while Maria, Isabel and Ava played the divas in another.

A fairly large entertainment center took up one wall, filled with all the electronic equipment Max felt was essential for living. But it was the picture above the television that caught Liz’s attention. It had arrived earlier that day, left unceremoniously propped against their front door. Liz found it waiting when she arrived home from class. She pushed the door open; struggling under the bags of groceries she had carried. She dropped the groceries on the coffee table and went back for the large package.

Liz pulled the wrappings off of the package, and revealed a stunning oil painting. It showed a fountain of light. The color of the light ranged from a stunning purple, to glowing silver. Eight golden balls of light, arranged in two interlocking squares, surrounded the fountain.

Liz stared at the picture, and felt the icy wall that surrounded her heart start to crack. She knelt down to examine the picture closely, knowing exactly what she would find. Down in the lower right hand corner were the initials MG. Michael had painted this picture.

Liz drew her gaze away from the picture, and dragged herself back to the present. She shoved her journal into her backpack and went to the kitchen to prepare dinner. Max would be home soon, and Fred was joining them. Again. Liz didn’t mind though, she liked Fred and his friends. They were always dropping by, looking for a place to hang out and watch TV, or to study. It wasn’t the same as having Maria and Alex around, but it was nice.

Liz turned from the stove at the sound of the door opening.

“Hey,” she called to Max. “Did you finish your research?”

“Yeah,” Max grumbled. “And I found out today that I can log into the school’s library from here. I didn’t need to waste the day there, I could have been home, relaxing, while my willing slave peeled me some grapes or something.”

“Sorry, there wouldn’t have been enough room,” joked Liz. “My slave was here, peeling me grapes.”

“I’d be worried if I didn’t know that you spent most of today in the chemistry lab,” laughed Max. “Can I help with dinner?”

“No, I’ve got it tonight,” said Liz. “You and Fred can clean up though.”

“Fred again?” groaned Max. “Maybe we should just get him his own toothbrush for the bathroom.”

“Be nice, Max. He’s lonely, besides; I like him. He’s harmless, and after the last few years, we could use some harmless in our lives.”

“I know, I know,” said Max. He launched himself onto the couch and reached for the remote. He pointed at the television, and stopped dead. “Holy shit!” he exclaimed softly. “Where’d that come from?”

He got up off the couch and walked closer to the painting so that he could study it.

“Michael?” he said when he saw the initials at the bottom of the picture.

“Either that, or there is another MG who was there when the Granolith joined us together,” said Liz. “But since Michael included a note with it, I’d say it’s safe to assume he’s the artist.”

“It’s beautiful,” said Max, his voice reverent.

“It is,” agreed Liz. “And it made me remember just how lucky I am to have you in my life.” She wrapped her arms around Max’s waist and held him tightly. “I’ve been a real jerk, Max, but so have you.”

“What?” Max said. He struggled to control the anger he felt at her comment. How could she accuse him of being a jerk? He’d been nothing but understanding, and compassionate with her.

“Yes, we’ve both been jerks. I’ve been wallowing in self-pity, but you let me Max. You never once told me how badly you felt, or let me know that you hurt. You never told me to snap out of it and deal, you just let me sink further and further into myself. And worst of all, I let you do it.”

“Snap out of it?” Max asked. “You wanted me to tell you to snap out of it?”

“Well, maybe not those exact words,” said Liz with a rueful smile. “But something to that effect. We lost something so special to us Max, and it was okay for me to feel sad, but it would have been equally okay for you to feel sad right along with me.”

“I was torn apart, Liz,” admitted Max. “But I was trying to be strong, for you.”

“Maybe I needed you to fall apart with me, Max. Did you ever once, think of that?”

“Well, not on my own, but I seem to recall both Maria and Ava telling me something like that,” said Max with a small smile.

“And?” prompted Liz.

“There was the time Isabel threatened to turn my hair green and give me acne on my feet if I didn’t stop acting like such a man. Okay, I admit it. I was a jerk. There are you happy now?”

“No, and I won’t be until you admit that I was a jerk, too,” said Liz.

“Fine, we were both jerks,” said Max, picking her up and swinging her around their small living room. “Feel better?”

“Well, not great, but better than I have in a long, long time,” admitted Liz. “Now, why don’t you give Fred a call, dinner’s almost ready.”

The simple dinner of chicken, rice and salad was made enjoyable both by the company of Fred, who seemed almost vibrant that evening, as well as the new found closeness of Max and Liz.

“Fred, you seem a bit over the top tonight,” commented Liz as she reached for another dinner roll. “What’s up?”

“Well, I sort of met somebody,” Fred said, bashfully. “Say, that’s a beautiful picture you have up there,” he said, in a feeble attempt to change the direction of the conversation.

“Thanks, a friend painted it for us,” said Liz. “He’s Max’s best friend, and he’s married to my best friend.”

“Convenient,” said Fred.

“Yeah, now enough about that,” said Liz determinedly. “Now spill!”

“Resistance is futile,” deadpanned Max.

“Thanks so much, Locutis of Borg,” said Fred. “Okay, fine. Her name is Glenarra, and she’s fantastic.”

“Well, she’s new to this school, the school assigned her to this apartment, but since she’s not married, she couldn’t live here. It took a while to straighten out the mess, let me tell you. Did you ever try and argue with those goons in student housing. They never want to admit they mistake. She was actually half moved in before we got it all straightened out. And then I met Max, and well, the rest is history.”

“So what is she like?” asked Liz. “Obviously, she kept in touch with you after the mix up, right?”

“Actually, no she didn’t,” said Fred. “I didn’t see her for a week or so after the whole mix up, then one day, she just showed up. She was so friendly and nice about the whole mix up, joking around, asking if anybody had moved into her apartment, and all.”

“You’ll have to bring her over some time,” said Max. “We’d love to meet her.” He looked over at Liz, and his stomach warmed at the passionate look she gave him.

“Thank you,” she mouthed to him, with a smile.

“That would be really great,” said Fred. “Actually, I have to get going, I’m meeting her tonight. It’s quite a coincidence actually. The last few times we’ve gotten together, she’s called me to go out right after.”

“You’re just too popular for your own good, Fred,” joked Max.

“I never was,” Fred said, earnestly. “You and Liz must be good luck charms for me or something. Look I don’t want to eat and run, but I need to meet Glenarra.”

“Oh sure, weasel out of dish duty just because you have a new girlfriend,” grumbled Max, good-naturedly. “Go ahead, Fred. Have a great time. Stop by tomorrow and tell us old married folks what the dating world is like.”

Fred left, and Max and Liz made short work of the dishes, and then fell into bed. They were sound asleep when a pounding on their door woke them around midnight. Groggily, Max stumbled to the door and asked who it was.

“It’s Steve, and Justin, man. Let us in, it’s important.

Max opened the door part way, and Steve pushed it open and shoved past Max.

“Jesus, dude, it’s late, keep it down, will you? What’s wrong?” he asked.

“It’s Fred,” said Justin.

“Fred, what about him. We just saw him a few hours ago?”

“Yeah, well, he’s dead,’ said Steve, baldly.

“What!” cried Liz from the door of the bedroom. “What happened?”

“I don’t know, exactly,” said Steve, stumbling to the couch. “I saw him earlier today, and he said he was going to hang with you guys for a while, and then he had a date with that chick he met.”

“Glenarra,” said Max.

“Yeah, weird name,” said Steve. “Anyhow, we swung by his apartment, cause we wanted to check her out, make sure she wasn’t just yanking Fred’s chain or anything. You know?”

Max nodded to show that he did understand.

“Fred’s not a real sophisticate, and we were worried this chick might be playing him,” continued Steve. “So we showed up at his place around 11:30, and knocked on the door, and it swung open, so we went inside.” Steve stopped as his eyes filled with tears.

“The place was a mess, and I don’t mean the usual I haven’t done the laundry type of mess,” continued Justin, taking over for Steve. “His apartment was torn apart. We called out, but nobody answered, so we went into his bedroom. God, he was lying on the bed, naked. His eyes were wide open, staring into nothing. There was a horrible smell of burned flesh in the room.”

“He was burned?” cried Liz.

“No, that’s just it, he wasn’t,” said Steve, trying to compose himself. “There wasn’t a mark on him, except for a silver handprint on his chest.”

Max grabbed Steve off the couch and rammed him against the wall. “You’re lying! Who sent you here? Tell me, damn it, before I kill you myself!”

“Jesus Christ, man,” shouted Justin, pulling at Max’s arm. “Let him go. He’s not kidding, we both saw it. But that’s not all. There’s more.”

“Tell me,” said Max, through gritted teeth.

“Not until you let Steve go,” said Justin. “I already lost one friend tonight. I don’t need to see another one die.”

Max released his grasp on Steve, and he slumped to the floor, gasping for breath.

“What’s up, Max?” demanded Justin. “What has you so freaked? You know something, don’t you? You know who did this to Fred.”

“What else did you see,” said Max in careful, measured tones.

“Fine,” said Steve, still gasping for air. “The TV was on in Fred’s apartment, but it wasn’t your average television program. There was some pretty sophisticated surveillance equipment in his apartment, and it was showing this apartment on his TV.”
Last edited by majiklmoon on Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
majiklmoon
Addicted Roswellian

Chapter 4 ~ 7/9/04

Post by majiklmoon »

Tomorrow’s Yet to Come

Chapter FourOn the Run

Liz turned back into the bedroom and began to dress rapidly while Max talked with Justin and Steve. She went to the closet and pulled out two large duffle bags and began to cram clothes and toiletries into both. She ran a brush through her hair, and pulled it back into a no nonsense ponytail. When she was done, she walked into the living room and looked at the others.

“What did you tell them?” she asked Max.

“Not much,” said Steve, belligerently. “I thought we were your friends. Fred is dead, and he seems to have been stalking you guys or something. Maybe you found out he was spying on you, and you decided to take care of him yourself.”

“Sit down, Steve,” said Liz. “I’m going to tell you a story.”

“Liz, no!” said Max. “We can’t.”

“We have to,” said Liz. “They’re in as much danger as we are. Look, I’ve already packed. Go get dressed, and I’ll give these guys the short version.”

“The short version of what?” asked Justin.

“First, Max and I didn’t do anything to Fred. You do know that, don’t you?” She waited until both men nodded reluctantly. “Okay, I’m going to tell you something, and it’s going to sound weird, but I want you to promise me you won’t say a word until I’m finished.”

Liz gave them an abridged version of the past three years and sat back while they tried to digest the information.

“No fucking way,” said Steve. “That’s bullshit, and you know it.”

Liz didn’t answer, she simply placed her hand on the coffee table in front of them and it changed from a honey oak color to an almost black color.

“Holy shit,” said Justin. “You’re aliens.”

“No, we’re human. Max was simply born on another planet. He is still as human as you or me,” said Liz.

“Are you going to kill us?” whispered Steve.

“God, Steve, I’ve cooked for you, and partied with you, do I strike you as a homicidal maniac or something?” snapped Liz.

“Normally, I’d say no, but right now, I’m not to sure,” he confessed.

“Look, we’re still the same people you met three weeks ago,” said Liz. “And now, we need your help.”

“Help, how?” asked Justin.

“Two things,” said Liz. “Did you all the police yet?”

“No,” said Steve. “We freaked and came here right away.”

“Good,” said Liz. “First I have to know, do you believe us, and trust us?” She waited until the two of them nodded, then continued. “We have to get the surveillance equipment out that apartment right now. Max!” she called out to her husband. “Can you go help the guys, right now?”

“Yeah, I’m coming,” said Max, pulling a shirt over his head as he walked back into the living room.

“Alien, huh?” said Steve, still a bit doubtful.

“We prefer the term ‘Not of this Earth,’” Max and Liz said together.

“Wha?” queried a clearly puzzled Steve.

“Never mind, I’ll explain on the way,” said Max. “Can we trust Bill and Chuck?” he asked.

“With your life,” said Justin.

“Good, cause that’s what it is,” said Max. “Call them, don’t tell them anything on the phone other than we need help. Have them meet Liz here.”

Okay, man,” said Justin. He pulled out his cell phone and placed the call even as they walked out of the apartment.

Liz began to systematically pack the personal belongings that they couldn’t carry with them, stopping periodically to wipe a stray tear from her face. When she had packed all she could, she began a thorough search of the apartment to try and locate the surveillance cameras. Her eyes landed on the grate covering the air duct, and she knew that she was going to be successful. Climbing up on a chair, she used her powers to remove the grate, and removed the camera she found inside. She quickly replaced the grate, and then put the camera on the couch, and covered the lens with a pillow.

She continued to search, and found three more cameras, located in the kitchen, the bathroom, and the bedroom she shared with Max.

“Damn it,” she said to the empty room. “Who is doing this? It can’t be Tess; I killed the bitch myself. And Rath and Lonnie are dead too. Who is looking for us, now?”

There was a knock at the door, and she approached it cautiously, looking through the peephole before she opened it. Bill and Chuck were waiting in the hallway; both looking very disheveled, and very tired. She opened the door, and pulled them both into the apartment, and closed the door behind them.

“This had better be good, Evans,” said Bill. “I was asleep you know.”

“It’s not good, but it is important,” said Liz. “I need your help. I have to tell you something, but before I do, I have to know that you won’t tell anybody else.”

“It’s like not anything illegal, is it?” said Chuck. “Because except for the occasional beer blast with under age coed’s, I’m not too into breaking the law.”

“Just listen,” said Liz. And so for the second time that night, she relayed the story of the Roswell crash, and it’s aftermath. She spoke quickly, but dispassionately, never once trying to use sympathy to gain their cooperation.

“So, you’re telling me that you have these alien powers now, and that Max landed here in the Roswell crash. Jesus, Evans, if I didn’t know better, I’d say you were doing some serious drugs,” said Chuck.

Liz didn’t say anything; she stood up, walked across the room, and touched one of the walls in the living room. It immediately went from the soft golden yellow, back to the boring institutional beige that covered the walls in all the other apartments in the building.

“Shit,” said Chuck. He rubbed his hands over his eyes and face, and then looked again at the wall. Liz moved to another wall and restored the color there, and turned to him.

“Okay,” said Bill. “I’m guessing you didn’t call us over here just because you had a burning desire to share this little secret with us.”

“You guessed right,” said Liz. “You don’t know how much I don’t want to tell you the next part, but I have to. It’s about Fred.”

“Yeah, where is he?” asked Chuck. “I figured he’d be right in the thick of this. Oh wait, he had a date with that chick with the weird name.”

“I, God, this is so hard to say,” said Liz, her voice filled with tears.

“Where is Fred, Liz? Is he okay?” demanded Chuck.

“No,” said Liz, tears coursing down her face. “He’s not okay. He was killed tonight. We think it was another alien. Justin and Steve found him dead, and he had a handprint on his chest.”

“Handprint, like the one Max gave you when he healed you?” demanded Bill.

Liz nodded but didn’t say anything; she just waited and let the guys formulate their own questions. The one they came up with shocked her beyond belief.

“Liz,” said Bill kneeling down before her. “Are you afraid Max did it? Are you asking us to protect you? We will you know. We can get you out of town right away. He’ll never find you.”

“No, it wasn’t Max,” said Liz. “He was here with me all night. Right now, he’s down in Fred’s apartment with Justin and Steve. I know he’s going to try and heal Fred, but I think it’s too late. But there’s more I didn’t tell you yet. When Steve and Justin found Fred, they also found all sorts of surveillance equipment in his apartment, and I found these, here.” She lifted the cushions to reveal the cameras she had hidden.

“I think whoever did this to Fred, was using him all along to find out about Max and me,” she explained. We have to call the authorities about Fred, but before we can do that, we have to get the surveillance equipment out of Fred’s apartment.”

“What can we do to help,” said Bill, suddenly. “I believe it wasn’t you or Max who did this to Fred. You guys were two of the few people who saw past the geeky outer Fred to the prince that was inside of him.”

“Thank you,” said Liz. She went to a drawer in the kitchen and pulled something out. “Here,” she said, handing the bundle to Bill. “This envelope has $5000.00 in it. Can you guys get all our personal stuff packed up, along with all the surveillance stuff?” She scribbled an address on a piece of paper and handed it to Bill. “This is my parent’s address in Roswell. Ship all our personal stuff to them please. Keep the furniture, the TV, the stereo, whatever. Just get our stuff to my parents.”

“Yeah, sure, anything,” said Bill. “Where are you guys going to be?”

“Running for our lives,” said Liz.
majiklmoon
Addicted Roswellian

Chapter 5 7/10/04

Post by majiklmoon »

Tomorrow’s Yet to Come

Chapter FiveNancy Drew Strikes Again

“Where are we going to go?” Liz asked as Max backed the car out of it’s parking space.

“I don’t know, but we have to get out of here, fast,” answered Max.

“Isn’t it going to look suspicious if we turn up gone right after Fred was murdered?” Liz asked

“Probably,” admitted Max. “But Steve said he’d try and come up with a reason why we disappeared. He said something about hacking into the school files and making it look like we withdrew from classes a week or so ago.”

“But won’t people remember us being in classes this week?” worried Liz.

“Maybe not. Most of our classes are lectures, in nice big impersonal lecture halls. Anyhow, it doesn’t matter, we just have to figure out who the hell is after us,” said Max.

“Well, we can’t just drive, we have to have some sort of plan,” said Liz. “Look, there’s an all night coffee shop up the street. Let’s stop there, and make some plans.”

Max reluctantly pulled into the parking lot and shut the car off.

“I don’t think this is such a good idea, Liz,” he said.

“Neither is driving nowhere without even a hint of a plan, now are you coming or what?” snapped Liz.

“Well, we sure as hell can’t go in there looking like this,” Max snapped right back at her.

“I’m not stupid, Max!” shouted Liz. “I do know that much. Stop trying to treat me like I’m Isabel, because I’m not!”

Max took a deep breath and forced himself to calm down.

“Liz,” he said, his voice much softer. “Why are we fighting like this?”

“Maybe because one of the nicest people we’ve ever met, is dead, and it’s because of us,” answered Liz. “But you’re right, our fighting isn’t going to change that. We need to focus, not fight.”

“And you’re right too,” said Max. “We need a plan. We can’t just react. It’s what they want us to do. “Whoever they are.”

Liz reached a hand up to her hair, and I turned a dull dishwater blond color, and hung straight down on either side of her face, allowing her to hide her face behind a curtain of hair.

“Perfect,” said Max. “Now me.” He touched his head, and his hair changed to a dull brown. Next he touched his face, and a beard appeared, totally changing his appearance. He climbed out of the car, and came around to open Liz’s door. When he shut the door, the car transformed from it’s dark green to a faded gray color.”

The coffee shop was surprisingly full for such an early hour, and both Max and Liz were glad, for they were able to blend in without anybody really noticing them.

“What will it be?” asked the tired looking waitress who approached their table.

After a quick perusal of the menu, they placed their orders and waited until the waitress was out of earshot.

“I think the first thing we should do is call Michael and the others,” said Max. “Let them know what’s going on.”

“Right,” said Liz. “You try them, I’ll try Kyle and Ava, and whoever’s done first can call Isabel and Alex.” She pulled out her cell phone and dialed Kyle’s number. The phone rang and rang, but he never answered.

“That’s strange,” she said to Max. “I didn’t even get his voicemail. Did you have any luck?”

“None,” Max said, his voice worried.” “There was no answer at Michael and Maria’s apartment, or his cell phone. I’ll try Alex and Isabel now.” He punched in their home number and waited, his frustration mounting as the phone rang, and nobody answered.

“Here you go folks,” said the waitress. She put two plates in front of them, along with two cups of steaming coffee. “If you need a refill, just holler. Can I get you anything else?”

“No, I think we’re set,” said Liz. “Thank you very much. Max,” she said as soon as the waitress was gone. “I’ll be right back. I have to go to the car.” Liz jumped up and ran out to the parking lot. Max saw her open the trunk and rummage around inside. She turned and made her way back to the coffee shop carrying an unwieldy bundle wrapped in the sheet from their bed.

“What is that?” he asked. Liz pulled the cover off, and Max’s mouth fell open in shock.

“You brought that with you?” he asked incredulously.

“Yes,” replied Liz. “I had to, Max. Look at it, look at what it represents.”

“I know what it represents, Liz,” said Max, his voice gruff with emotion. “I was there, remember?”

“Well, I couldn’t leave it, could I?” asked Liz.

“No, I guess not, but that doesn’t explain why you brought it in here, now.”

“Well, I kind of wondered if maybe Michael knew something was up, and left us a clue or something,” said Liz.

“Liz, don’t go all Nancy Drew on me here,” said Max. “Do you really think Michael, our Michael, would have the presence of mind to put a clue to his whereabouts in a painting he sent us?” He bit into a french fry, and chewed methodically, while Liz searched the painting for a clue.

“Got it!” Liz cried, triumphantly. “Yes, I do believe that our Michael would leave a clue for us. Not in the painting, but on the back of the canvas. It’s a phone number.” She grabbed a pen and scribbled the number on a napkin and stood up.

“Where are you going, now?” asked Max.

“I’m going to use the payphone over there,” Liz said. “There must be a reason why we can’t reach Michael on his old cell. I’m going to play cautious and not use our phones either.”

“Go for it, Ms. Drew,” said Max. “This is your show.”

Liz walked to the phone, and used her powers to nudge the coin mechanism. She rapidly dialed the number she had scribbled on the napkin and waited impatiently while the phone rang.

“Hi, you have reached WRComet Enterprises,” said the unfamiliar voice on the phone. If you are calling about classes, press 1. If you are calling about your picture, please press 2.”

Liz looked at Max, her expression puzzled, but she pressed 2 on the phone.

“WRComet picture division,” said the voice. “How may I help you?”

“Who is this please?” Liz asked, cautiously.

“Chica, is that you? Listen, it isn’t safe to talk, just go to the picture.”

“Look, what’s going on?” began Liz, but her only answer was a dial tone.

“Liz, what is it?” asked Max, when she returned to the table.

Liz took a large bite from her burger and chewed hungrily before she answered.

“The number took me to one of those automated phone thingies,” said Liz. “You know, press 1 for this, press 57 for that. Anyhow, it was for WRComet Enterprises.”

“WRComet Enterprises?” asked Max. “As in West Roswell High Comets? How lame.”

“Not too lame,” said Liz, taking another bite of her burger. She paused to wipe the away the juice that dripped down her chin. “God, this is good. It’s been so long since anything has tasted this good. Anyhow, it said if you were calling about your picture, press 2, so I did, and Maria, or at least I think it was Maria came on the line. She called me Chica, said it wasn’t safe, and to go to the picture.”

“So, what do you think?” asked Max. He was careful not to make all the decisions; he didn’t want to be anybody’s king.

“I don’t know,” said Liz, dipping a fry in some ketchup. “I suppose it could be a trap, but we have to go somewhere and do something. At least if we’re there, we’re on our own turf.”

“We should call the Sheriff,” said Max. “Let him know what’s going on, and that we’re on our way home.”

“Good idea,” said Liz through another mouthful of burger. “Do you want to go make that call?”

Max said that he would. Liz watched as he walked to the phone, then lifted her hand to call over the waitress.

“Miss, if you have a second, could I get two more of these to go please?”
majiklmoon
Addicted Roswellian

Chapter 6 7/14/04

Post by majiklmoon »

Tomorrow’s Yet to Come

Chapter SixMiles to Go

Liz leaned her head against the car window, and watched the night darkened scenery speed by.

Go to the picture, she thought to herself. The obvious answer is the Granolith, but why? Why would Michael want us to go back there? Liz sighed and continued to stare out into the darkness. Max reached over and took her hand in his.

“It’s going to be okay, Liz,” he said. “I know you don’t want to go back there, but don’t have a choice. Someone is out there, and they are trying to hurt people we care about. We have to stop them.”

“I know, I just wish we could talk to Michael or Isabelle, or someone!” she cried. “We’re running blind, and we already know how well that always works out.”

Max didn’t say anything for several minutes. He drove on through the darkness, trying to find the right words to make Liz feel better about their journey. The yellow lines on the road passed as the miles sped by, and still Max was silent. He spotted a deserted rest area, and pulled in, and shut of the ignition. He turned in his seat and faced Liz.

“We won’t go back,” he said. “The thought of going back is killing you. I can feel it. I can’t do that to you, Liz. I’ll find someplace safe for you to stay, and then I’ll go meet Michael.”

“We can’t, Max,” Liz said. “You’re right. I don’t want to go back. I’d rather die than go back, but we don’t have a choice. The thought of going back is killing me, but someone is killing our friends, and we have to stop them.”

“Liz, don’t. We’ll find some other way,” said Max. “You don’t want to do this, and I don’t want to put you in any danger.”

“Max, you put me in danger the day you healed me!” shouted Liz.

Max pulled back violently, as if slapped.

“Max, wait, that didn’t come out right,” said Liz. She reached out and put her hand on his arm. “I know you would have never willingly put me in danger, any more than you could have sat there and watched me die. What I meant was, from that day on, I was in danger, but so were you. You put yourself in danger to save my life. How can I turn my back on my friends just because I’m afraid to face my fears?”

“Well, there’s something else bothering you,” said Max. “You’ve been way too quiet.”

“Well, for one thing, I’m hungry again,” said Liz. “But also, I’m concerned. We’re going rushing into Roswell, based upon a picture, and a cryptic phone call from Maria. It just doesn’t feel right to me.”

“Okay,” said Max, starting the car and pulling back out onto the highway. “We’ll stop in the next town and get some food, and try and come up with a plan. Why are you so hungry all of a sudden? Liz, you’re not pregnant, are you?” Max asked, his voice both hopeful and fearful.

“No, I’m not,” said Liz. “For a long time, nothing I ate had any taste at all. It was like I was eating sawdust or something. I could taste the seasonings, but it’s like nothing was good. I don’t know if that makes any sense. But today, it seemed like my taste buds woke up or something. I just can’t get enough food in my mouth. I’m trying to make up for almost two years of tasteless nothingness.”

“I wish you had told me how you were feeling,” said Max.

“I couldn’t, Max, because I didn’t really know myself,” explained Liz. “Look, do you mind if I try and get some rest before we stop to eat? In addition to hungry, I’m also very, very sleepy.”

“No problem,” said Max. He pushed he car seat back a little, and Liz loosened her seat belt and laid down on the bench seat, her head in Max’s lap. As he drove, Max absentmindedly ran his fingers through Liz’s hair.

Michael painting. Maria on a stage. Someone watching, always watching. Isabel walking down the streets of New York. A shadowy figure following behind. Four identical paintings standing on easels around a sun filled room. Liz watches Michael paint. Reflections in the glass. Isabel looks into a store window. Liz’s face appears in the glass beside Isabel. The shadow looms up behind Isabel. Max! But it’s not Max. Run. Michael’s studio destroyed. The shadow figure looks at the destruction in satisfaction. Max’s face appears reflected in the mirror. Crowded airport. Alex and Isabel run. Michael and Maria on a plane flying into the sun. Kyle and Ava drive down a deserted road. The road is shrouded in darkness. The darkness swallows the car.

“Kyle!” Liz screamed.

“Liz. Shhh. It’s okay sweetie. You just had a bad dream or something. Relax, it’s okay.”

“No, it’s not okay. It’s not,” said Liz,” sobbing, brokenly. “It wasn’t a dream, Max. It was a vision, I know it was.” Liz took deep breath and reached for her bag. She reached in and pulled out he journal. “Give me a second,” she said. “Let me write it all down, before I forget, and then we can go over it.” She scribble frantically in her journal, trying to recall every sight, and every sound.

“Liz?” Max asked softly. “I’m gong to pull over up here. There’s a Denny’s up ahead. We can get something to eat, and we can try and figure it out, okay?”

“It was you, Max. We’re in danger, but I kept seeing you,” babbled Liz. “How could it be you? You’re right here with me.”

“Calm down, Liz,” said Max. He parked the car in the well-lit parking lot and undid his seatbelt. “We’re going to go inside, get some coffee and some food, and we’re going to talk.”

Liz climbed out of the car her journal clasped tightly in her hand, and followed Max into the restaurant. They were seated quickly, and placed their orders.

Max waited until Liz finished her first cup of coffee. When she placed the cup back on it’s saucer, he took her hand in his.

“Now, tell me everything. Don’t leave anything out.”
majiklmoon
Addicted Roswellian

Chapter 7 :) 7/15/04

Post by majiklmoon »

Tomorrow’s Yet to Come

Chapter Seven In a New York Minute

“I can’t believe we’re in New York!” squealed Maria. She threw her arms around Michael and hugged him excitedly. “Us, here, now, in the Big Apple. It’s fantastic.”

“If you ever call it that again, we’ll have to pretend not to know you,” said Isabel, dryly.

“Shut up, Isabel,” Maria said, amicably. “We are here in New York City, the hub of the music world. You are not going to rain on my parade.”

“You are such a geek, DeLuca,” said Alex. “And you, my dear wife are not any better. You’re just as excited as Maria, and you know it.”

“All right, fine, I am excited,” said Isabel. “I’m just trying to be a bit more restrained about it.”

“Okay, great, we’re all excited,” said Michael. “Now can we please get something to eat and I don’t know, maybe start looking for a place to live?”

“Oh, can we please, please, please go to China Town to eat?” begged Maria. “Real, honest to God Chinese food. Please, can we?”

“God, yes,” said Isabel. “Anything to shut you up.” She sounded condescending, but the grin on her face showed the others that her griping was good-natured.

The four Roswellians quickly found a hotel, and stowed their luggage and set out to eat, and explore their new city.

“So, stay together or split up?” asked Alex, his mouth full of mu shu pork.

“Split up,” said Maria and Isabel simultaneously.

“Split up,” agreed Michael.

“So, I’m guessing you don’t want to get a place together, then?” deadpanned Alex.

“Look, Alex. It’s not that I don’t love you to pieces,” said Maria. “You know I do. But this is a chance for all of us to spread our wings and explore the world.”

“Much as it pains me to say this,” said Isabel. “Maria is right. I mean, it’s not like we can’t hang out and stuff, but we need to be on our own for a while.”

“Pass the fried rice,” said Michael. He reached out and took the silver dish that Isabel passed to him. “Damn, it’s cold.” He focused on the dish still in his hand, and the rice began to steam. “There, that’s better. Anyhow, here’s what I think. We should start apartment hunting today, and we can hook back up for dinner, and see what we’ve found. What do you think?”

“It sounds like a plan,” said Alex. “Damn, the tea is cold too,” he said, hefting the silver teapot in his hand. “I’m not too impressed with your authentic Chinese restaurant Maria. He used his powers to heat the tea and poured himself a cup, and liberally added sugar.

“Let’s pay the bill and get out of here, then,” said Maria. “And somebody else can pick the place for dinner. I don’t seem to be having much luck in that department.”

They paid the bill, and walked out into the steamy New York heat. None of them noticed the stranger who followed them out of the restaurant, after paying special attention to their table littered with leftover Chinese food, and empty bottles of Tabasco sauce.

Later that night

“Oh, God, this pizza is so good,” moaned Maria. “That crap they served at the Flying Pepperoni pales in comparison. Now, on to more important business, did you guys find a place to live?”

“Yeah,” said Alex. “It’s not the penthouse of Isabel’s dreams. But it’s a nice 2-bedroom apartment, not too far from the university. The rent is astronomical, but money isn’t a problem.”

“Thank God, for that,” said Isabel. “I never realized what an expensive city this is. Have you guys found anything, yet?”

“A couple of places,” said Michael. “Since we weren’t looking for something rent controlled, we had pretty good luck. We have an appointment to go back and look at one again tomorrow.”

“Yeah, that will give them a chance to kill all the cockroaches,” said Maria. “Michael, those places were dumps. I think we can afford to raise our standards just a little.”

“Define dump, for me, will you, Maria?” said Alex. “Cause some how, I’m thinking your idea of dump, and the rest of the world’s version of dump just aren’t the same.”

“Thank you, Alex,” said Michael. “I found a 2 bedroom apartment in a renovated brownstone. Maria’s just unhappy because it’s on the third floor.”

“Well, I don’t for one second think it’s going to be you carrying all the grocery bags up the three flights of stairs, Michael Guerin,” said Maria, her voice tinged with annoyance.

“Is that the only thing you hate about that apartment, Maria?” asked Isabel.”

“Yeah, other than that, it’s pretty nice. We’d have access to the roof, and there’s a cute little patio garden up there, and the landlord seems really nice. It’s just all those stairs,” Maria’s voice trailed off.

“You know those new found powers of yours Maria? Well, did you ever think about making the bags nice and light?” asked Isabel.

“I can do that?” Maria asked, her voice filled with awe.

Isabel rolled her eyes in an ‘Oh please, spare me,’ look. “Of course you can, Maria. Tell me honestly, do you ever do anything more with your powers than fix your hair?”

“Not since we got rid of Tess, the phantom menace,” admitted Maria.

“Well you should,” said Isabel. “You never know what’s going to be out there.”

“Lighten up, will you?” said Maria. “Tess is dead, Rath and Lonnie are dead. What else so we have to worry about? Kivar getting in his UFO and flying down to kidnap us?”

“Maybe,” said Michael. “In any event, it wouldn’t make sense for any of us to not to keep our powers honed.”

“Excuse me,” said a man, walking up to the booth where they sat. “May I borrow your hot pepper flakes?”

“Oh, sure,” said Isabel. She grabbed the glass shaker of pepper flakes and passed it to the guy. “Here you go.”

“Thanks,” he said, reaching for the flakes.

Isabel looked closely at him for a second, then looked quickly away. She waited until he was out of earshot before she spoke.

“Let’s get out of here,” she said. “That guy, the pepper guy. There’s something about him that I’m just not liking.”

“Okay, Isabel, no sweat,” said Alex. He jumped up and went to the counter and got a box to put the leftover pizza in. He returned and quickly slid the leftover pie into the box. “See, no problem. We’re out of here.”

The group exited the restaurant, quickly. Alex, Isabel and Maria turned left, and Michael turned right and crossed the street. He then reversed direction and walked back until he stood on the opposite side of the street from the restaurant. He watched as the stranger exited the building and walked in the direction that Maria and the others took.

As he walked down the street, he pulled out a cell phone and dialed a number.

“It’s me,” he said when the call connected. “Isabel was right, he’s following you. I want you to turn left at the next intersection, then cross the street. There’s a department store there. Duck inside and split up. We’ll meet in the sporting goods department.” Michael disconnected the call, and shoved his phone back in his pocket. He watched as Maria and the others turned down the block and entered the department store. Much to his dismay, the stranger walked past the department store without giving it a single glance.
majiklmoon
Addicted Roswellian

Chapter 8 ~ 7/16/04

Post by majiklmoon »

Tomorrow’s Yet to Come

Chapter Eight Somebody’s Eyes are Watching

Maria stood on the stage, singing, looking out into the smoky darkness of the small nightclub. She couldn’t shake the feeling that someone was watching her. She grabbed the mike out of it’s stand, and began to weave her way through the audience, singing first to one person than another, as she tried to locate the stranger that followed them from the pizza parlor.

The song drew to a close, and Maria quickly made her way back to the stage.

“Thank you ladies and gentlemen,” she said to the small round of applause. We’re going to do one last number, before the club closes. It’s a particular favorite of mine. Before we begin, lets give a round of applause for the guys in the band.”

Maria half turned to face the musicians that backed her up and applauded. She signaled the drummer who gave a downbeat, and the band swung into Full of Grace, by Sarah McLachlan. When the song ended, she thanked the audience, and started to help break down the instruments.

“We got it, Maria,” said Mick, the drummer. “Besides, Michael just walked in. Looks like he’s ready to take you home.”

“Don’t worry, guys. Michael’ll wait. He knows this is part and parcel of the whole music gig,” said Maria. “Besides, if we do it together, it will get done faster, and we can all get home that much sooner.”

“Thanks, Maria,” said Jack, they keyboardist. “I have an early class tomorrow, and the professor is a real hard ass about people blowing off his class.”

“Imagine that,” Maria said dryly. “A professor that expects you to actually go to class. Go figure.”

When they finished, Maria walked over to the table where Michael sat, waiting patiently.

“Thanks for waiting,” she said to him.

“You could have hurried,” he answered with a grin.

“You could have helped,” she shot back, the smile on her face revealing that their argument was more of a well loved game.

“How was the show tonight?” Michael asked. “I wanted to get here earlier, but we were busy tonight.”

“The show was fine, Michael. I wish you could have been here too, but I know you have to work. I just don’t get why you’re working on a loading dock,” Maria complained.

“I like it, Maria. I don’t need to work at all, but I enjoy it,” Michael said, simply.

“I know, I’m sorry,” said Maria, apologizing. “I’m just on edge a little.”

“Why?” demanded Michael. “Did something happen tonight?”

“No, nothing happened, but I think there was someone out there watching.

“Would it be pointless for me to point out that you are on stage singing, and people pay to watch you,” said Michael.

“Not that kind of watching, jerk.” She stopped to wave goodnight to the band as the prepared to troop out the back door of the club. “Come on, lets get out of here too,” she said.

Michael helped Maria gather her belongings in an unexpected show of gallantry, and escorted her out of the club onto the New York streets that still bursting with life, even at 2:00 a.m. He led her over to his motorcycle and handed her a helmet, and waited while she climbed on.

“This is not easy in a dress,” she complained.

“You could always walk,” he countered.

“Shut up and drive, Space Boy!”

Michael kick started the bike, and it roared to life. He merged out into traffic and gunned the engine. Maria’s delighted laughter could be heard as he tore down the street.

In the darkness of a deserted doorway, a stranger watched as they drove down the street.

Isabel Evans Whitman walked down the street, her head filled with fashion design, and her arms filled with groceries for tonight’s dinner. Suddenly, she felt as if she had collided with a brick wall, and the bags when flying from her arms.

“I’m so very sorry,” said a man, who bent down to help her up.

“No, no, it was my fault,” said Isabel, scrambling to pick up her groceries. “I wasn’t looking where I was going.” She glanced at the man, making note of his gray Armani suit, and gold Rolex watch.

”No, really, it was my fault,” said the man. “Please check, is anything damaged. I’ll replace it for you.”

Isabel looked up at him, and felt a shudder of fear go down her spine. This man is dangerous, she thought to herself. She did a quick survey of her items, trying to contain herself before she spoke.
“No, really everything seems to be fine,” said a flustered Isabel, still stuffing things into the bags.

“Oh, look,” said the man. “Your bottle of wine has a crack in it.”

“It doesn’t matter,” said Isabel, taking the bottle from him. “It’s not a very god bottle of wine, anyhow. She crammed the leaking bottle into her bag, and stood up. “Thank you for all your help.”

She began to walk away, but ducked into an empty doorway to look back at the man, but he was gone. The sidewalk teamed with people but the guy in the Armani was nowhere in site. She looked around to make sure she was unobserved, placed her bags on the ground, and reached in and pulled out the leaky bottle of wine. She passed her hand over the bottle, and sealed the crack, and returned the wine to its bag. She leaned down to lift both bags, using her powers to make them light as a feather, and resumed her trip home. She was so intent on leaving, that she failed to notice the young man in the baseball cap leaning against the street lamp, watching her every move.

Alex carried the last of the platters to the table, and sat down next to Maria.

“So you still up for us coming to hear you sing, tonight?” he asked.

“I guess,” said Maria, with uncharacteristic quietness.

“Hey, if you don’t feel up to it, it’s no big,” said Alex. “Isabel and I can come another night. Right Isabel?”

“Hmm, oh yeah,” said Isabel.

“You okay?” Michael asked, sotto voce.

“No, actually, I’m not,” she said. “The strangest thing happened on my way home today, and it has me worried.” She explained the incident with the guy in the Armani suit. “My reaction to him was similar to the one I had with the guy at the pizza place,” she finished. “I felt like he was seeing right inside of my soul.”

“That’s too freaky,” said Maria. “The other night when I was singing, I felt like someone was watching me. I mean really watching me, not me singing, you know? I kind of got he feeling I used to get when I knew Tess was going to show up.”

“Something strange is going on,” said Michael. “We all have to be extremely aware of our surroundings from now on.”

“Do you think we should call Max?” asked Isabel.

“No, I most especially do not think we should call Max,” said Michael. “He and Liz do not need this kind of stress in their lives right now. Until we know what this is, we can deal with it on our own. For now, we keep them out of the loop, agreed?”

The other three nodded. The meal continued, as the four discussed various possibilities, but nobody was able to come up with a reasonable idea of what or who was watching them, or why.

“What about Kyle and Ava?” asked Maria, suddenly. “Should we try and get a hold of them?”

“That might not be a bad idea,” said Alex, reaching for his cell phone. He punched in Kyle’s number and waited.

“Kyle, hey, how you doing? It’s Alex.”

I know who it is,” came Kyle’s voice over the cell phone. Number 1, I’m not stupid, and number 2, I have caller id on this thing. Anyhow, what’s up?”

“Well, honestly, we’re not sure, but it is something,” said Alex. “Maria’s been getting some weird feelings, like someone has been watching her, and Isabel has had run ins with two different guys that have totally freaked her out. We’re not sure if any of it means anything, but we just wanted to give you guys a heads up.”

Thanks, man. said Kyle. Listen, maybe you guys could keep this to yourselves for a bit, and not tell Max and Liz about it. They really need a chance to just have a life, you know?

“That’s exactly what Michael said, and we all agreed,” said Alex. “Where are you guys headed now?”

Actually, we’re on our way back home. Ava really misses Roswell, so we’re going to head back there for a while and just hang, and figure out what to do next.

“Cool. Say hi to everyone for us, will ya?” He looked at Michael who was motioning for the phone. “Hang on a second, Kyle, Michael needs to talk to you for a second.” He passed the phone to Michael and took a forkful of spaghetti.

“Valenti? Listen up. I’m going to be sending you guys something in the next week or two. Where should I send it?”

My dad’s place, we’re headed back there.

“Great, watch for it. We’ll see you later.” He disconnected the call and tossed the phone back at Alex who had to drop his fork to catch the phone.

“Jerk,” he said, good naturedly as he wiped in effectually at the sauce stains on his shirt.

“Here, let me,” said Isabel. She waved her hand over his sleeve and the stains vanished. “So, what are you sending Kyle and Ava, and why aren’t you buying me, you’re oldest and dearest friend presents too?” Isabel asked Michael.

“Forget it, Isabel, you’re not getting any information out of me,” said Michael, as he helped himself to more salad. “Except for maybe a compliment on the great meal.”

“Do my ears deceive me?” quipped Isabel. “The stoic Michael Guerin paying compliments?”

“Watch it, or you won’t get even that,” said Michael.

“Children, children,” said Maria, raising her hands. “Play nice, or there is no dessert for you.”

“Dessert, I forgot dessert,” moaned Isabel.

“Lucky for you, I didn’t,” said Maria. “We picked up a cheesecake on our way over here.”

“It’s so nice to get together just like we were normal couples,” said Isabel as she stood to go get the cheesecake.”

“Yeah, too bad we’re not,” said Alex, softly.
majiklmoon
Addicted Roswellian

Chapter 9 ~ 7/17/04

Post by majiklmoon »

Disclaimer: Roswell, and its characters do not belong to me. Melinda Metz, Jason Katims and 20th Century Fox have that particular pleasure. I’m simply borrowing them until the Season 2 DVD’s get released.

Tomorrow’s Yet to Come

Chapter Nine The Guerin Code

Michael entered the small room, just as the sun broke on the horizon. Two walls of windows, and a large skylight ensured that the room would be filled with light. Michael, however, didn’t want to wait for the morning light. He stood before four canvases and stared thoughtfully for a while. Finally, he picked up his easel, and began to mix colors on the palette.

“I need to get this just right,” he said to the empty room. “I don’t want to give it away to whomever is watching us. But, it has to be something meaningful to everyone. Something they’ll be able to figure out in a second.”

He allowed his mind to drift back over the past several years, searching for one image that would tell everyone where to go if there was danger. Suddenly, his mind focused on one image, and he reached for his brush and began to paint, feverishly.

Under his skilled hand, the image appeared, and was duplicated three times, on the three other canvases. He stood back, sweat soaked from his painting and surveyed the pictures.

“Perfect,” he said out loud. “Nobody, and I mean nobody will ever figure out what these pictures mean.”

A sudden knock at the door caused him to spin around, his hand raised in a protective stance.

“Maintenance,” called a voice from the other side of the door. “Is there anybody in there?”

“I’m coming,” said Michael, lowering his hand, and walking towards the door. He pulled the door halfway open and growled, “What do you want?”

“Hey, sorry to disturb you, sir, but the building owner got a complaint of roaches on this floor. I have to stick these stupid traps in every office.”

“I don’t have any roaches,” snapped Michael. “So I don’t need any roach motels, or whatever.”

“Aw, come on, give a guy a break,” said the maintenance worker. “Do you really think I want to be doing this? My boss will have a cow if it doesn’t get done. I came in early cause I didn’t think there’d be anybody here this early.”

“Find, come in,” said Michael, grudgingly. He pushed the door open and stepped back, allowing the maintenance man access to the room. He quickly dispensed his roach motels and turned to Michael.

“Thanks a million, guy. I really appreciate this.”

“Sure, no problem,” said Michael, holding the door open, trying to hasten the workers departure.

“Say, those sure are some beautiful paintings,” said the other man. “Nice colors and such. What are they?”

“Nothing,” said Michael. “Their nothing at all, just a reminder of home.”

“Well, they ain’t like any home I’ve ever seen, but what do I know about art? You have a good day now,” said the man. He walked out the open door, and Michael closed and locked it behind him.

He walked back over to the paintings, and carefully removed the first one from the easel. On the back, he carefully wrote the number to the new cell phone he picked up last night. He returned the picture to its stand, and carefully repeated the procedure three more times.

He looked around the room, and went to the windows and pulled all the blinds. Then he stood on a table, and touched the glass in the skylights, turning it black, shrouding the room in total darkness. He went to each picture, and passed his hand over it, quickly drying the paint. He carefully wrapped them in plain brown paper, and gathered them up.

Michael left his makeshift studio, using his powers to make the lock on the door impenetrable. From there, he made his way to the elevator, down to the first floor and out on to the teaming city street. He walked a short distance to a Mailboxes etc. and made arrangements to have two of the paintings shipped overnight delivery. One to Max and Liz in California, and the other to Kyle and Ava back in Roswell.

From there, he made his way to Isabel and Alex’s apartment. He knocked, but nobody was home. He used his powers to unlock the door and left the picture sitting on the sofa. Grabbing a pen from the nearby desk, he wrote: Here is your surprise. If things get bad, go to the picture.

Michael picked up the last painting and headed home, hoping to arrive before Maria awoke. His luck, however, had run out. Maria was waiting for him when he opened the door, and from the expression on her face, he knew he was in for a world of hurt.

“Hi,” he said after he shut the door behind him. “When did you get up?”

“About forty five minutes ago,” said Maria. “And imagine my surprise, no husband, no note, it was like you were abducted by aliens or something.”

“I’m sorry, Maria I should have left a note,” said Michael.

Maria stopped dead, her mouth hung open as she stared in surprise at her husband.

“You apologized and said I was right?” she asked incredulously. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong that I know of,” said Michael. “But I had to go do something. Now I have to do the rest of something, but I need your help with that. First though, I want you to see something.” He handed Maria the picture and waited.

“Well, I guess I can rule out bagels and cream cheese,” she said, placing it on the coffee table in front of her. She pulled at the wrapping and slowly the picture was revealed. “Oh God, Michael, it’s beautiful. It’s perfect. It’s us.”

“You like it then?” Michael asked, nervously.

“Like it, I love it,” said Maria. It’s perfect. We can hang it right over here,” she said, carrying to a wall across the apartment.

“No, we can’t,” said Michael. “If you want to keep it, we need to ship it to your mom or something,” he said.

“What! Why!” shouted Maria. “You paint me this beautiful picture and then tell me we can’t keep it. Michael Guerin, are you insane?”

“Well, maybe, if you shut up and listen,” said Michael. “I can explain it all to you.”

“Fine,” said Maria, throwing herself on the couch in a huff. “I’m listening. Her foot tapped impatiently, and she drummed her fingers on her leg.

“I gave one to Kyle and Iz, and I shipped one to Max and Liz, and one to Kyle and Ava,” he explained.

“That’s nice, why can’t I keep mine?” snapped Maria.

“Look on the back, will you, Maria?”

Maria sat on the edge of the sofa, and picked up the picture and turned it over. On the back she saw the phone number Michael had written. She didn’t say anything, just raised and eyebrow, and looked at him enquiringly.

“That number is for this phone,” he said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a phone. “I want you to keep it with you at all times, if it rings, I want you to answer and say this.” He reached into his pocket again, and pulled out another piece of paper with some words written on it.

“Hi, you have reached WRComet Enterprises,” read Maria. . If you are calling about classes, press 1. If you are calling about your picture, please press 2. Michael, what kind of game is this? You want me to answer it and tell people to punch buttons. This is stupid!”

“Look, Maria, I think we’re in danger. Max and Kyle will find the number on the back of the picture, they’re not stupid. But we can’t take any chances. I’m betting whoever is following us isn’t stupid either. If they find the number, answering like that may throw them off track.”

“And if it’s Kyle, or Max,” said Maria, realization dawning on her. “They’ll know it’s us because we went to West Roswell High, home of the Comets. Not bad Guerin, not bad at all. And what do I tell our callers, if I may ask?”

“Go to the picture,” said Michael. “They’ll know what you’re talking about, right away.”

“Well, I have to admit, it’s pretty clever,” said Maria, looking at her husband with admiration. “The only thing that would have been better is if you brought bagels.”

With a mock growl, Michael crossed the room, and swung Maria up in his arms. He walked towards their bedroom and pushed the door open with his foot. He placed Maria on the bed, and lay down beside her and began to kiss her. Maria lifted one hand off his back and waved it, and the room turned dark.