Hall of the Mountain King (CC ALL/Mature) Epilogue- 02/23/12

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

What should be Isabel's fate?

1) Execute her!
33%
2) A long prison sentence on Earth or Nidavellir. Someplace she won't escape.
No votes
3) Have her powers permanently removed and forced to live a normal life on Earth with no normal education or skills.
44%
4) Allow her to atone.
No votes
5) Send her to Antar for Khivar to deal with?
No votes
6) Have Michael and Avelinde wipe her mind clear so she can start anew?
22%

Total votes: 9

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Hall of the Mountain King (CC ALL/Mature) Pt9 - 11/09/11

Post by PML »

A little late but at least the story is moving.

Natalie36- Thanks

Keepsmiling7- Thanks. Not particularly no. But he didnt press her either. In fact, had it not been his POV, and you weren't Liz, you might not have noticed how impatient he was being at all.

begonia9508- Thanks. Most likely they had to leave because of severe drought, fleeing further to the southwest, maybe mixing with the other souther peublo tribes. Or maybe simply dying off. That region in the country can be harsh. But this is a tale with aliens and ghosts, and apparently Norse Elves. And lets be honest, aliens are the more likely of the two...

mary mary- Thanks. It is not scientifically impossible. Not proven either, but hey there is a LOT we don't know

In the Hall of the Mountain King part 10

Kyle

Kyle quickly worked on the young woman’s wounds while Eddie remained on watch. He wasn’t a fully trained medic, but he had learned a lot in Afghanistan. Every minute counted, and they had wanted everyone to be able to help if they had to.

And the truth was, they couldn’t just drop her off at a hospital. Or rather they could, but how would they explain everything? Kyle highly doubted the woman knew English or had any familiarity with Kyle’s world.

But they couldn’t just let her die. Despite all the potential problems she would be an major source of information to them all.

And Kyle simply couldn’t sit by and watch someone die while he could help her.

Kyle was more than a little concerned at how cold the wound site was.

He pulled back in panic when the girl began to speak.

The voice was slow and slurred, “Be careful Kyle. There is something wrong with that arrow.”

“Kyle did she just talk?” Eddie’s quiet voice softly asked. His eyes still scanned the horizon.

“Um, I think she did.” Kyle focused on the girl, “Look, ma’am, I am sorry for this. But if you could remain still….”

The arrow that had been sticking out of the girl flared and melted. Again that slow and uncertain voice spoke, “I knew there was something wrong with that arrow. The tip might have hurt you if you had touched it. Her blood flow should return to normal. Patch up the hole and treat the arm for hypothermia. I will do what I can from inside.”

Kyle had an odd feeling he knew what was happening here. One of Tess’s more frightening skills was riding other people. She rarely controlled them completely, not unless their inhibitions had dropped. But he knew that at least some of the women he had slept with had Tess in at least partial possession of them.

“Tess, this girl is injured. Get out of her right now!”

Again the weak voice, “First she’s not a girl. She is older than you and Eddie put together. And she’s not human either.” There was a weak giggle. “Elves. I am the ghost of the dead queen of an alien empire. And not once did I believe in Elves.”

“Elves?”

“She’s a Dokkalfr to be precise. Make sure no direct sunlight hits her. It could be fatal. I am going to ransack her memory while you go. I have never met anyone this open before. Like she has an ingraved sign for spirits to enter her or something.”

Eddie said quietly, “She could be a medium or a witch. Possibly a medicine women if their culture is different.” He lowered the gun and looked at her clothes. “It’s a moderately familiar pattern. Almost like a Pueblo Indian tribal markings. Almost.” I can spot some a few western runic markings straight out of Tolkien.”

“This is getting entirely too strange. I am going to open my eyes and the dream will end and I will wake up and have a long and tedious day.” Kyle closed his eyes and meditated for a few moments. He opened them and nothing had changed.

Eddie had a smirk, “So how is that tortured Eastern Mysticism working for you? Have you even read any more about it since we last talked? I know many don’t follow my beliefs, but at least I know mine.”

“Very funny. Let me finish with the girl and we will go. We just need to figure out where we are going to take her.”

Eddie said firmly, “You will have to take her to your place. She won’t really be welcome on the Reservation. You people may not believe in magic. But we do. And if what I saw was true she’s a skin changer. A Skin walker. Now I am not Navajo but Apache, I can’t say it would be better if we just let her die here or not. But the tales I have heard at some of the Inter Tribal Conferences…. Not good stuff, man.”

“And I have Tess to look out for me.”

“And you have Tess.” Eddie shuddered. “Kyle, you are marked. Even the Elders see it. They know about Tess. If you asked them they might help you have her move on. But I doubt they would offer, to have a spirit of such power watching over you…. You are special, Kyle. And I think this,” Eddie waved at the cave and the odd world beyond, “Is part of it. As was your meeting and dealing with the Visitors.”

“Of whom Tess was one.” Kyle finished bandaging up the girl. “Let’s go.”

Eddie grabbed the large lantern this time, as Kyle would have to carry the girl. One with one last look at the large moon shining down behind him onto that lush tall grass, Kyle left for a more familiar world.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Hall of the Mountain King (CC ALL/Mature) Pt10 - 11/11/1

Post by PML »

Second part for the day, go me. Of course both were still too small. Well onward and upwards as it were.

mary mary- Thanks. I guess I can hope you only use your powers for good?

keepsmiling7- Thanks. There are differing takes on shapeshifting in the various southwestern tribes. But the Navajo Skinwalker, pretty much nightmare city.

In the Hall of the Mountain King part 11

Isabel

As best she could with her paws, Isabel wiped the blood from her mouth. She detested the taste of people. Now warm blood from a deer or a bison…. She could salivate to the memories of hunts for them. But her jaws were her best weapon in this form. And while there was elegance in sword play and magic, rapid overwhelming attacks could cut down her casualties.

She watched carefully as her men quickly did their jobs. She nodded and walked up a snow bank. They needed to see her watching them, even as they needed to know that she extended some trust to them. It was a fine balance amongst the Dokkalfar.

She looked up at the huge nearly full moon and just felt the rightness of it all. The chill of the snow, the crisp air scented lightly with the coppery scent of blood. She opened her throat and called to any other wolf in the area. To tell them who she was and how wonderful life was.

There were only a few cries back.

The locals hunted wolves, killing them on sight. In part for their damage to livestock, but more because of fear of the Dokkalfar legions slowly conquering. And when they did, wolves would make a return.

Isabel would see to it personally. She heard a man climb up the bank. It was her second in command, Bergen. Under many he would not have succeeded. He was not a good magician at all, but his other skills more than compensated in Isabel’s eyes. He was loyal and didn’t cheat on the books. He made sure her troops were paid on time and in full.

Too many units had too many thieves and they suffered because of it.

Bergan quietly said, “My Lady, you are frightening the horses.”

Isabel nodded her large head and began the spell that would shift her back to her normal form. One that she liked just as much. Her heavy leathers were not as good as her wolf form at keeping out the cold, so she activated her powers to keep her warm. In a few moments she was perfect.

She turned to her second, “So tell me, did we find her?”

“She wasn’t with this caravan. As far as our spies can tell, Maria Deluca has simply disappeared.”

Isabel bit her lip for a moment, “We need to find her. She could ruin everything.”

Bergen merely nodded his head.

A voice on the wind that only Isabel could hear spoke to her. “My love, I have some information. But you must hurry.”

Isabel looked off into the distance toward her new mountain home. “Bergan tell the men to hurry. And that we travel light. We leave in a half hour, no more.”

“Yes, my Lady.” And he moved back towards the caravan calling out orders.

Isabel pondered what could be so grave, as she ignored the cries for mercy behind her. A call to travel light meant no captives.

And no survivors.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Hall of the Mountain King (CC ALL/Mature) Pt11 - 11/11/1

Post by PML »

Must keep going...

keepsmiling7- Thanks.

mary mary- Thanks.

begonia9508- Thanks

In the Hall of the Mountain King part 12

Kyle drove swiftly home. He really could have used Eddie’s advice, but his friend had remained on the reservation to see if anyone had heard or noticed anything strange.

Kyle didn’t like that the cave was wide open and unprotected. It was only a matter of time before something crawled out from the other side. And while a half ton bison would make quite the show, one of those flying creatures be a terror on this side.

Heck it had been bad enough under that other world’s moon. Picturing himself chased by them here, under the glittering streetlights….

Kyle was going to be ready next time. He had been lucky Eddie had grabbed that flare. He had some incendiary ammunition. He even had some Dragon’s Breath shotgun shells. He would be carrying them now. And a few other types of bullets. Armor piercing, yeah a few of those would be good. Didn’t know what he might face.

The thought of turning back, of not being involved didn’t even occur to him. This was his home, and one thing he had learned from his life in the Alien Abyss, if only in retrospect, was that the problem was here. No matter how insane or ridiculous, these things were real and needed to be dealt with. Not know, not being part of it, would not shield him from the consequences should the worst happen.

He whispered a quiet prayer for Alex’s soul where ever it may have landed. It had been that quirky and happy man who had convinced him of that. If only Kyle had known what a great guy he had been before he had finally joined with the rest of the Pod Squad’s followers on that mission to kill the Gandarium. Kyle had been too focused on partying and sports and remaining popular.

A lot of good that had done him in the end. His need to provide money when his father had lost his place as Sheriff had cut so much into his afterschool curriculum that he had slipped from both the basketball and football teams. He had done well in baseball, but his team had been so bad that his offers had been few and far between.

Well the past was the past. The one thing that had never changed was his love of firearms. He had almost been made a sniper, but he simply didn’t have the mindset for it. It was harder to shoot someone in cold blood than it seemed to the common man. Even for a trooper. The thick of a fight was one thing…. Kyle was pretty sure he had killed a few people. But just calmly lining up a shot outside of an active fight, Kyle couldn’t manage it reliably.

Kyle pulled up to his house, and unlike normal activated the automatic garage opener. He carefully pulled his car in the cramped space left from all the various bits of gear he had stored in the garage.

Kyle had always resisted piling up his garage to the point he couldn’t park in it. It was what the garage was for in the first place. But the spacing was getting tighter year by year.

Kyle sighed and let his thoughts return to the thing he had been avoiding thinking about.

The girl. He had kept her wrapped up in the back seat, covered enough that no stray sunlight could touch her. Best to be safe.

She was still unconscious, and Kyle supposed Tess was still roaming around in her pretty skull. And the girl was pretty; there was no doubt about it. Blonde with fine features. She was muscular, but still had curves in the right places.

Kyle snorted. It had been a while since he had brought a woman home, but this reaction was ridiculous. He didn’t know anything about the woman!

He shut the garage and sighed as the darkness surrounded him. For just a moment he shuddered as if someone had walked across his grave. But the feeling rapidly passed.

All of this was making him nervous. Bringing back the old Abyss feelings, feelings he had believed he had long been done with. Next thing he would be getting a call from Liz or Max issuing him orders. Calling him to a meeting at the Crashdown or the Alien Museum.

None of this was helping. Kyle got out of the car and walked through the house and closed the blinds. If this girl really was allergic to sunlight, Kyle wanted to make sure he didn’t kill her by accident.

When he was done he carried her to the living room. One of his couches was a foldaway bed. He set it up and put sheets and blankets on it. He then carried in the girl and put her on the bed.

He checked her wound. Between his quick work and whatever Tess had done, it looked to be healing nicely. She made a slight feminine whimper and adjusted the blankets more to her liking. Her movements favoring her wounded arm.

Kyle just stood there and watched. Was the girl about to wake up? What exactly should he say?

The woman was from a different world. What were the odds she would know a single word of English. Heck, she was from a world where flying zombies rode undead horses through the air. Who knew what could happen next.

Nothing.

Kyle went to his kitchen, grabbed beer and some chips. He sat down in his chair and turned on ESPN. He let the commentators voices wash over him, because his thoughts were focused solely on the strange girl that had dropped into his world.

Why him? Why this again? Liz and Tess and the whole alien debacle, it had never really fully left him. But now a whole new world of oddness confronted him.

Would it end as badly?

Kyle sighed and sipped his beer.

Only time would tell.

Buddha help him.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Hall of the Mountain King (CC ALL/Mature) Pt12 - 11/13/1

Post by PML »

Still struggling, but hanging in there.

keepsmiling7- Thanks

begonia9508- Thanks. One should have to alter ones world view dramatically only so many times.

mary mary- Thanks. Now that is an interesting thought.

In the Hall of the Mountain King part 13

Eddie

Eddie slowly walked up to his house. He was still conflicted leaving Kyle to deal with that girl by himself. But there were some things he needed to do.

One was confront his wife.

She knew him, and he was fairly certain that she knew that he had gone to seen Kyle about the cave. What Eddie wasn’t sure about was whether she had gone to the Elders about it.

They would not be amused.

It wasn’t that they didn’t see Kyle as a friend, or even as a man of destiny like Eddie did. It was simply that they were cautious and wanted the best for the tribe. They undoubtedly were discussing it now, and what to do about it. In fact, Eddie was surprised they hadn’t put a guard or watcher there.

Or maybe they simply thought it was a cave.

If that was the case Eddie would have to prove otherwise.

A doorway to another world. And not a safe one, Eddie thought. Those creatures, they had been evil. Not just misguided but intrinsically evil. And the ability to ride horses through the air…. He didn’t personally know any legends about that, but River Dog would have.

A sudden pang stopped him at the last step. River Dog had been more than his grandfather, he had been one of the two people to keep an angry young man from wasting his life. Only Cara, his wife had done more.

Time to face her.

Eddie marched up the steps. He walked into the door, the scent of dinner being prepared assaulting him immediately. Cara was a good woman. He really didn’t deserve her.

Cara walked into the living room from the kitchen. “So. What was on the other side of the cave?”

Eddie shook his head sheepishly, “Yes, I went. I didn’t go alone though.”

Cara nodded, “Kyle. Of course. That is why you are so late. You had to get your friend. So what did you find?”

Eddie walked over to hold her, “There is another world there. A different world. Prairie grass and bison.” Eddie sighed, “And a nameless evil that struck before we left. Riders on the sky.”

“The Elders were looking for you. Wondering if you wanted to join the expedition they were sending.”

“Who were they sending?” This could be good or it could be bad.

“Jason White Horse.”

“I hate that prick. Well, I hope they are prepared.” Eddie shook his head, “I should go to the Elders. Let them know what I have seen, and maybe help Jason so he doesn’t screw up entirely.”

“I knew it. I already prepared a backpack and some food for your trip.”

Eddie shook his head, “Oh, I am not going. It is much too dangerous. If anything, I think we should have someone watching the cave. It is only a matter of time before something crawls up it.” He shivered. “I can’t explain it, maybe it was the color of the moon, or perhaps the color of the second as it crossed the sky. Great evil exists there. And maybe great good, too, I don’t know. All I know is that we had best be ready to defend ourselves.”

“And if your friend Kyle puts an expedition together?”

“That is my hope. That he will somehow draw the others, the Visitors back. They had gifts that could help them against this. I fear we are not the warriors we once were.” He gave his wife a kiss. “And even if he does, I have things to protect. My place is here.”

They kissed for a little while, before life intruded and they had to go about needed tasks. Eddie reported to the Elders, even showed Jason some footage from the camcorder Kyle had left him.

Would it help? Eddie didn’t know. He was a little fearful that the Elders would only see the upside, see the land and possible benefits that could accrue to the tribe because of this.

Eddie couldn’t stop seeing those flying horsemen.

At dawn a party of six walked into the cave to explore the other side.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Hall of the Mountain King (CC ALL/Mature) Pt13 - 11/15/1

Post by PML »

Hello again. Hopefully I can do a bit of catch up today and tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Mary Mary- Thanks. The reverse is also true. Just not at this point in the story.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Nope, I am horribly far behind on word count. Still not giving up though.

begonia9508- Thanks

Mt Gazer- Thanks. At some point I will need to fire up Yahoo on my new computer. Until then, be well. As for the story, well....

In the Hall of the Mountain King part 14

Isabel

Isabel strode past the ranks of Dokkalfar guards and suplicants. Nervous looking Adepts from all the High Societies of the Dokk. Owls and Wolves mingled with Alex’s servants.

And he was served by more than merely the Draugr now. No, several Clans had given him there backing after his successes in the Mordant Vale.

These Dokkalfar were too caught up in their old ways of fighting. Of small scale skirmishes that might work fine on their Ljosa cousins on Alfheim, but simply was not enough to move the mixed race forces of Nidavellir. Human soldiers supported by Ljosa and traitorous Dokkalfar and equipped by Dwarven smithcraft? Small scale raids might terrorize them, but only large scale use of Draugr had kept Dokkhaven from being overrun by the rebels.

Isabel laughed, Alex with his odd hobbies knew more about how to win this war than all the Dokk High Council together. People moved away from her at the sound of her laughter.

She did have a reputation after all.

Isabel stopped short of the intricately carved Throne of the Mountain King. Alex sat there calmly viewing some magical image. He smiled at her, “Come on up, love. I wish we had a little free time.”

Isabel wrapped herself around him, “Are you sure you can’t find some?”

He moved to kiss her, “Business first. Then I think I can spare an hour or so.”

Isabel pouted, “So what is so important?”

Alex waved his hand, “This.” There was an image of Kyle and Eddie fighting off a band of Myrkriddr. “I think we can now guess where Maria is.”

Isabel frowned, “She went back to Earth? To Roswell? Why?”

Alex sighed, “I am not the only one who was changed by your intervention in our lives. You and I are not the only ones whose fates are unbound.”

“The others. My brother and Michael. And Liz.”

Alex nodded.

“But why? And why now of all times?”

“That I would like to know myself. Perhaps the progress we are making towards Stormhold is having an effect on the Great War. Or perhaps it is the earliest they could do so. But I need you to sort it out.”

Isabel made a deepened her pout. “More time away from home. I miss you Alex.” She kissed him.

Alex wrinkled his nose. “You my dear need a bath. I can taste the dried blood on your tongue and smell the sweat from your travels.”

Isabel said, “We are just going to get all sweaty anyway.”

“True, but we are still in my throne room, and we are in the middle of a planning session.”

Isabel batted her eyes at him, “So call it off early. Break for, um, lunch or something. Speaking of which I brought you something.” She waved her hands to signal her waiting aides.

They brought up a girl, not more than eight years old. She no longer struggled, the girl was much too frightened for that. But there was a tiny whine to each of her labored breathes as she stared wildly at the gathering.

Isabel got off Alex’s lap and gestured, “For you. Untouched. A few others for later as well, but I was certain you would appreciate this one.”

Alex nodded, “Yes. I can feel her vitality, her fate from here. A long and prosperous life. Children, and grandchildren. Yes.” He placed one hand on the child’s shoulder.

The child shuddered but did not cry out. Tears streaming down her face as she stared up at the smiling face of Alex. She looked up at his kind face and a tremulous smile.

Alex looked up at his gathered followers and said, “We are breaking for a few hours. Until that time I am not to be disturbed.”

The group quickly exited the hallway. No one really wished to watch what was to come next.

Isabel also moved towards the exit. But she turned and watched as Alex smilingly gave the little girl a peck on the forehead. His mouth pulled away just a tiny bit and he inhaled.

The girl stiffened and screamed. Screamed as if her life, or perhaps her very soul was being torn from her.

Perhaps it was. She and Alex had talked about what had been done to him, what had made him what he was now. Neither living nor dead.

He had been an experiment by his former master, the one on whose throne he now sat. Somehow Alex had the ability and need to feed on the fate of humans.

Isabel watched transfixed. How it worked or why, they weren’t sure. Isabel was partly convinced it was the alien alterations done to Alex by Tess.

However or why ever it worked, it worked. How much power it gave him was dependent on the fate of the subject. Someone young but sickly, or about to die for whatever reason, did not feed him as well as someone older but with a long life ahead of them. The more accomplished or interconnected the life the better.

It made finding the right target difficult at times. But the results were worth it. It produced a near orgasmic pleasure in him, one that she could feel through the bond.

Isabel watched the vortex of power shift from the girl to Alex, his eyes gleaming. The girl’s skin turned greyish and she became transparent, her wails failing as if fading off into some distant place.

And she was gone as if she had never been. Necromancers had tried to contact the spirits of the dead Alex had fed on to no avail. It was as if he consumed their souls as well as their fates.

Alex’s eyes were still gleaming, his voice slurred from the act. “Fifteen minutes love. Fifteen minutes to digest her.” He slumped back down on his Thrown.

Isabel went off to draw a bath and heat it to her comfort.

Alex would be true to his word. It just took him a few minutes where he rapidly lived the life that the girl would never see. He would see her hopes and dreams and fears. Play with children and grandchildren that would never be.

Alex would live that life and steal it forever. Binding it forever to him.

And in turn to Isabel herself. She didn’t know the dynamics of it any better than how Alex did what he did. She lay back in the water and she caressed herself. She closed her eyes and felt as Alex slowly digested the girl’s fate.

Isabel saw nothing more than the occasional flickering image as it vanished into oblivion. But she could feel the power roaring into Alex, and trickling into her. The Bond. They shared everything through their Bond.

A Bond formed so very quickly after a promise that she would be there for him forever. That she opened herself up and they had shared themselves after Prom.

When he had died, when he had been stolen away from her, Isabel had felt the need to literally be someone else. To completely change. So she had cut her hair and threw herself at the next viable mate. Someone who could take care of her.

But Alex had never fully died. And Isabel could never truly bring herself to be quite as intimate. Even after Jesse had found out about her alien heritage, she still never Bonded him. She had thought she had loved him, but had felt nothing when he had died in her arms.

Nothing.

But Alex hadn’t fully died. He had been brought back. And when he was strong enough, he had come for her.

Together forever. That had been her promise. No matter the situation, no matter the cost.

And so they were.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Hall of the Mountain King (CC ALL/Mature) Pt14 - 11/18/1

Post by PML »

Thanks. Second chapter of the day. Who knows, maybe I can break out a third. Catch up a little. We shall see.

mary mary- Thanks. Sorry about the creepiness factor. I was still in an October state of mind when I thought up this story. And I like happy endings. Although there likely will be a cost to it all.

In the Hall of the Mountain King part 15

Michael-

Michael watched as Maria slowly combed her long hair. It was strange to be with her again. Both of them had changed significantly, grown more mature.

But it was more than that. There was strangeness to her. A difference to how she felt. He had received a massive number of flashes from last night’s activities. And he knew now some of what she had gone through in the last year.

How had she come to be able to do what she could now do? How had she changed. Because as she had admitted to him, he could feel was entirely true.

Maria was not human anymore. She wasn’t alien either. She was something else entirely, although he wasn’t really about to accept that she was an elf. No way.

Special odd powers? Fine. He had them himself. Oddly acquired inhuman background? Fine.

Michael did not believe in elves.

She looked back at him and smiled, almost as if she could read his thoughts. Who knew, it was even possible. “You saved me you know.”

“Hmmm,” Michael said, admiring the view.

Maria looked away, her eyes filling with tears. “It was your bond. That blessed alien mating Bond that saved me.” She sighed, “Saved me, but damned Isabel.”

“What?”

Maria moved over to hold Michael. She kissed him and looked him deep into the eyes. “Do you remember when you shared yourself with me? When you opened your heart and revealed your very soul to me? That isn’t of this world Michael. It changed me, very slightly. Left a tiny little mark, almost like a scar. And that was enough to make it impossible for Alex to consume me.”

Michael held the now shuddering Maria, “I don’t know what you are saying. Alex is dead. His death nearly broke you.”

“Oh, how I wish that were true Michael. But just as your Bond marks me, so too does Alex’s from Isabel. We never knew it, and Isabel never mentioned…. Damn it! We should have seen it simply by how bad she was reacting to it all!”

Michael gave Maria a small kiss, “That Alex and Isabel slept together on Prom night?”

Maria gave him a wide eyed stare. “You knew? You knew and didn’t tell me?”

Michael softly sighed, “She made me promise. And while I love you Maria, I love Isabel too.” Michael snorted ironically, “I was the only one she felt she could tell. She was afraid you would let it slip to Liz or Max.” He shook his head, “Do you have any idea what it cost her to come to me? To me of all people. She just stood there in a monotone and told me what I was risking. What it would cost if something happened to you.”

Maria was crying now, tears slipping down her soft cheeks. But her voice was firm, “You do risk a lot you know. More than you or Max could possibly imagine.”

Michael said calmly, “I have never truly been able to move on. There were a few others, but they were simply to satisfy a physical need.”

Maria said wryly, “I won’t say I was innocent either, ten years is a long time. But no matter how much I knew I had lost you forever, I still couldn’t quite make the plunge into a full scale relationship. And let me tell you, I blew a couple of perfectly good catches because of it.” She said jokingly.

Michael laughed a little, “Well, I am probably still the world’s worst boyfriend. Not in the practice of picking out the right gifts or flowers.”

Maria wiped a away a few of her tears and then quickly kissed him. Both of them lingered there for a few moments, just enjoying the realization that it wasn’t a dream. The other truly was real and there.

Maria broke the kiss. “Ah, the kiss that ruined me for other boys. I remember telling Liz that over ice cream so many years ago. But I was right. Because the Bonding was simply beginning. Your interest in me was rising and the Bond was beginning to form.” She shook her head, “There is no other way to say it but to say it. Our Bond links us, soul to soul. And to a degree we share a common fate. Liz and Max do as well. Unfortunately so do Isabel and Alex. Alex couldn’t fully die when Tess ripped at his brain for whatever reason. And a Necromancer from Nidavellir saw potential in Alex’s trapped spirit and captured him.”

“Excuse me?”

“Alex is a monster now because of what was done to him. And the dark magic, the alien symmetry of chaos slowly seeped into Isabel through that Bond.” Maria was crying again, “I don’t know if we can save her. I am fairly certain that the only way to save Alex is to destroy him. And what effect that will have on Isabel I don’t know.”

Michael closed his eyes and breathed in the scent of the woman before him. If Maria was right, and Isabel was Bonded as tightly with Alex as Michael was to Maria, then there was no way she would give him up without a fight.

Fighting her would be so very hard. The one woman outside of Maria who he had truly loved.

“How do we stop them?”

Maria sighed and pulled him closer, “I don’t know. According to my sources, Liz should be here later on today. And she will have some of the answers.”

Max. And Liz. Of course.

Maria rubbed his shoulders in a soothing pattern. “It wasn’t his fault. No one could have expected what happened. No one.”

“It will be hard.”

“Yes. But you were always stronger together than apart.”

Michael simply grunted and let Maria’s hands sooth him. He added his caresses to her body, and soon neither of them was thinking about the unpleasant task that lay before them.

They simply took the opportunity to exist in the now.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Hall of the Mountain King (CC ALL/Mature) Pt15 - 11/18/1

Post by PML »

Just one part today. I dont know if I will hit the word count, but this story is finally starting to gel for me.

Keepsmiling7- Thanks.

In the Hall of the Mountain King part 16

Avalinde Avasdottir

Ava opened her eyes to searing brightness. Light near bright enough to be daylight. Deep seated panic caused her to sit up in the water violently. She looked around and saw a lavishly appointed bathroom.

Six bright lights illuminated the room, reflecting off a large mirror. She looked down at her naked body resting in a large inset bathtub of some smooth white surface. There was a toilet with a lid, and underneath the large mirror was a large sink.

Dwarves. She had to have been captured by the Dvergar. Only they had the knowledge and skill to make all of this fit together so well. She looked to the other end of the tub and saw a large spigot.

Only it wasn’t quite right. She had spent time in Stormhold, and had enjoyed the lavish bathrooms of its well-appointed guestrooms. But these weren’t ornamental at all. And the Dvergar took pride in their work. There should be some golden filigree or finer stone work.

All the other races tried to copy the Dvergar work, but none of it looked this good. And this didn’t look like Dvergar work.

Some wizard? But why? The last she knew she had been running for shelter from those persistent Myrkriddr. There had been that human rifleman and that other man. He had looked like one of Zieni people. Maybe a shaman of some sort? He had broken the Myrkriddr with his flame spell.

But then the Fire Wizards college tended to not teach such dangerous spells to non-members. And he had not felt like a wizard. Perhaps they were the lackeys of some powerful wizard?

Or was that merely wishful thinking? She had riding as fast as she could to Stormhold to see if one of the itinerant wizards was camped there. Ava desperately needed to talk to one.

She was cursed. The Sending had already killed the rest of her family. All of them dead because her father had defied the new King of Mountain. Their family had farmed that area for generations, through thick and thin. They had even gotten along well with neighbors. It didn’t pay to do anything less. You helped them and they helped you.

Having a mix of Day and Night walkers in the neighborhood had actually come in handy at times.

But this new king, with his new ideas…. No, her father hadn’t wanted her neighbors land, hadn’t wanted a title. Not if it meant a loss of freedom and taxes.

“Hello,” came a voice from the mirror.

She looked up and saw her own image was smiling at her. Ava moved a few of her blonde locks aside and stared at the mirror.

“Not your imagination. I am really here. Or well, really I am in your head. I just thought this would be easier for you to deal with.”

Ava whispered a spell of discovery, to discover the magic behind this. But the spirits didn’t answer.

The voice in the mirror continued, “I am afraid that won’t help you. I apparently scare the local vaettir, let alone the necromantic spirits you usually use.” She giggled, “I didn’t even know they were there until I looked through your mind. Fascinating stuff. Explains more than I would have thought.”

Ava touched her forehead, “You’ve raided my mind?”

“More than that, I think I have a solution to your problems. And mine.”

Ava bit her lip. She was possessed. And the being was offering terms.

She consulted her ancestors. They were always at her fingertips, through the small chip of Alfstone she had received from her mother. And they were conflicted.

None of them had experience a creature like this before. It was like some sort of powerful protective fylgia, only it wasn’t in fact a spirit. It felt in the space between life and death, and yet not truly undead. More a trapped spirit than anything else.

Freedom. That was likely what it wished. Freedom from whatever prison the wizard that had entrapped her.

Tess. The spirits name was Tess. Ava shuddered at the knowledge of how she had learned it. Tess must have gone through her mind multiple times, leaving residue. And it was very possible that such a powerful spirit might know how to free her from her current curse.

But at what cost? It wouldn’t help for Ava to get assistance in ridding one curse only to be cursed anew by some other wizard.

Ava looked up, “You know what is coming don’t you? You know it isn’t safe for your charges to provide protection to me. Even simple hospitality will bring its enmity upon you. Better you should simply cast me out.”

Tess laughed, “Oh, you do not know my Kyle do you? Cynical and sarcastic on the surface, a damned knight errant when someone is in trouble. A typical Valenti. Telling him you were in trouble would only make him need to protect you more. The only reason he isn’t a cop or fireman is that everyone expects it of him. But if there were trouble, he would be there. I have seen it.”

“You love him.”

Tess smiled, “Yes. Too late. He and his father took me in when they didn’t need to. And they helped me and my friends far beyond the call of duty. And it cost them so much. And you know what, even knowing that, they probably still would have helped me.” The mirror image was crying, “I had to die to really make me see. And it took years to find someone, anyone who cared enough to provide some stability to my shadowy world. And Kyle even knows about me, knows how I am still in his life. How I have altered it, and yet…. He is still fond of me. He resents it a little, but no more than he would any other permanent member of his family.”

“You want my body. I will not surrender possession of my life to you.” She crossed her arms and desperately thought of someway to dispel this spirit.

Tess sighed, “In a way you are right. I want freedom from this twilit realm I now inhabit. I long to live again. To feel more than momentary sensation stolen from those I ride. But there is a way….”

“No!”

“The Purification Ritual. That will break your curse.”

“But if I do that…. I won’t be Dokka anymore.” Inside of her, her ancestors all but screamed for her to not listen. All save that calm voice that had once been her fathers. He urged her to take method she could to preserve her life.

“It will intrinsically change what you are. And the curse will be broken. Whether or not you do as I ask, that will work. And I will help you regardless.”

“I don’t know. That is so… drastic.”

“What good does being Dokkalfar do you if it provides no benefit. Hell according to the normal code of Dokkalfar behavior shouldn’t you be jumping at any opportunity that benefits you?” Tess’s smile was wry and full of self hatred.

There was a story there, Ava was sure. “What are your requests?”

“That when you go through the Ritual, I go through it with you.”

Ava stared at the mirror. “But that could destroy you.”

“And it could kill you. But the Ritual will sear the darkness from you, and clear space on your Alfstone. A spot I will occupy if you will let me.”

Ava opened her mouth and thought about it. That would leave Ava in control. The stones memories could influence and guide, but they could not truly control. “You would become part of me.”

“Assuming that either of us survive. I suspect that I will have darkness of my own purged by this. But chances like this…. I must take it or remain forever as I am.”

“I need to think about this.”

Tess’s face was impassive as she said, “I am not surprised. I will leave you now and make some preparations. Please don’t leave the room. I won’t stop you. But I want to let Kyle get his sleep. He will need it for the days ahead.” The image smiled, “Enjoy your bath.”

The face then turned into her own shocked face.

Had that been real? Some magic spell?

No.

It had been real. She could feel it to her bone. It had been true and the spirit had been completely honest with her.

To go through the Ritual and be able to bear the light of day. To walk in the sunlight.

And to lose the voice of the stars. To no longer hear her ancestors wisdom or the chitterling knowledge of the dead.

She slipped back into the bath, the water still warm. And thought.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Hall of the Mountain King (CC ALL/Mature) Pt16 - 11/20/1

Post by PML »

Yep this story is changing on me. Characters I thought would be supporting are becoming front characters and vice versa. Oh, well, so it goes. This is a set up chapter, and its kinda dark, just warning.

begonia9508- Thanks. Well this Ava is technically Avalinde Avasdottir, but yeah I like the name irony here.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Me too. The next few chapters will likely touch on it. As I note above, the plot that is moving is not the one I expected.

mary mary- Thanks. I hope so too.

A/N- Rememeber, dark okay? Last warning.

In the Hall of the Mountain King part 16

Isabel

Isabel wheeled over the small encampment that had been made on the Nidavellir side of the cave. She didn’t particularly care for this form, but there were times flight was definitely called for.

Bah, to the Dokkalfar Society of the Owl. Puny birds compared to her Nidavellir Nighthawk. Faster and stronger. And she could fly during the day.

Bah, useless Dokkalfar wizards.

Of course, they had the secret of transforming into birds while encumbered by equipment. She had to store her equipment in the various jewelry placed on her body and in the pockets of the feathered cape and mask she used to achieve the form.

Her wolf form came naturally, and indeed any mammal she could simply transform her clothes with her. But the other creatures were too different. Lizards and fish she could escape her clothes, but the damn wing structure always snagged on her blouses or leathers. Worse the tail feathers didn’t work right if she wore pants.

There was a trick to it. And the Owls weren’t sharing. Bastards.

So underneath her transformed cape she wore only a layer of body paint. She had learned to manipulate even a thin surface to protect her from the elements as well as other attacks.

It also had other advantages as well. There was a small band of Penatuka that she could coop. She had to shake her head at the idiocy of bringing bands of Comanche raiders to Nidavellir, but the former King of the Mountain had seen an opportunity to beat his current opponents. And it had worked to some degree.

Of course the Raiders were now a thorn in everyone’s side and had expanded across the whole Tivala Basin.

Dokkalfar idiots. Using human mercenaries was a good idea, but you had to make sure you could control them.

Still it would help her now. She could swoop down and ‘persuade’ them to take care of invaders. In fact she could probably get them to raid the other side of the portal. That would draw attention and the Feds.

The Feds watching that cave would stop Max and his merry band from crossing over here.

Perfect.

She swooped off toward the Penatuka camp. It was similar to those she had seen before. The bands moved around considerably, chasing the buffalo that was their main food source. Quick observation led her to believe this was a fairly well off band from the large string of horses.

The wolf in her looked at one and her stomach growled. Yes she was hungry. But she didn’t want to break her cover.

Well it wouldn’t be the first she had eaten as a hawk. Only, she sighted along the ground, she was very hungry. She wanted more than just a ground squirrel or something small.

She wanted a horse. Something filling. A buffalo would do, even some of the meat they were preparing. But she preferred her meat fresh these days. The blood might not taste good to the human palate, but her animal forms….

She focused more power to her cape and mask and felt her mass grow. It stretched the power she had but she was now a small Roc, capable of lifting a buffalo off the ground and carrying it away.

The men below began to call out and shoot at her with arrows. Knocking them aside was easy. She picked a nice juicy stallion and dove. The bands of horses shrieked and ran from her. But her target was no way near fast enough. Her talons dug deep into its back and she lifted it up only to fling it down, breaking its back and killing it.

She then set to feed.

The warriors ceased wasting arrows on her and a medicine man began to approach her. It was a stupid band that didn’t have someone with a little capability with magic.

He took one look at her and called out to the rest of the band, many of who were gathering to attack and others to run. They stopped and the woman began to gather food and other assorted items. The men went to retrieve the scattered horses.

She could still feel the tension in the camp, but it had changed. A different flavor of fear.

They were going to try to placate her. The medicine man wasn’t a simple sham, he had some talent it seemed. He probably had no idea what she was, but he could tell she wasn’t a simple animal.

This is where her paraphernalia, including the paint came in handing. Knowing basic symbols and their mythological significance could yield a great deal of influence among them.

Sated she shifted back to human form, careful to adjust the paint to symbols and runes that would inspire these men. Her mask hid her grin. These people didn’t have any body modesty or nudity taboos, and so she kept her cloak open at the front.

These tribes didn’t have a lot of respect for women, let them deal with a goddess!

One of the men next to the medicine man said, “See just an elvish bitch.” He rubbed his crotch, “I can show her to respect us.”

The medicine man just looked at the man with a look of utter horror and contempt. “Stop, do you really think I would,,,,”

Brave idiot warrior marched forward to prove himself.

Isabel giggled slightly. How many times had she been at this point since she had come to this world. How many times had some ‘powerful’ male decide he was going to rape her to prove that she was inferior. Or expect her to give into his requests for sex simply because he was awesome, which often came to the same thing.

This man had watched as she had just swooped from the sky and eaten a horse. They knew she was a powerful magician, and yet one sign of her tits and bared genitals and at least one macho type had to make a play.

Just like High School really, only she didn’t settle for a scathing retort anymore.

Castration was getting old, and she needed to prove her point that she was an invincible goddess, She wasn’t far short in truth. Just needed to prove it.

Isabel reached out toward the oncoming man and with her powers tore his heart out.

The man halted and gasped, one hand reaching the gaping hole in his chest.

Isabel simply squeezed the tough still beating muscle a few times. She really didn’t like the coppery taste of blood in her human form. Well sometimes you have to make sacrifices. She nibbled on the still warm organ, ripping off a small piece with her teeth and chewing very slowly, locking eyes with the now dying warrior.

All the surrounding people wore looks of horror on her face as Isabel worked at the warriors heart like an apple. She looked in askance between bites, “May I have welcome to your camp?”

The medicine man gulped, “Yes, Great one, come into our camp.” He turned to the women, “Refreshments, bring refreshments to our guest!”

Isabel tossed the remainder of the heart away and walked into the camp, “I have need of you and your men. But I will provide you with riches beyond your ken and a chance to fight an old enemy.”

“Yes Great One.”

Isabel smiled, “Call me Vilandra. Come, we have much to plan.”

And they walked into the camp.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Hall of the Mountain King (CC ALL/Mature) Pt17 - 11/20/1

Post by PML »

Lets try again.

In the Hall of the Mountain King part 18

Eddie

Eddie awoke to the sound of pounding on his door. He reached out for his wife absently, finding her gone.

Oh, Thursday. She would have had to leave early to go to work in Roswell. Cara worked as a nurse half the week at Roswell Memorial Hospital and the rest at a clinic on the Reservation itself. The hospital paid much better.

The pounding continued. He could hear his name being called.

He yelled at the door, “Right, I am up.” He quickly dressed, and absently picked up the gun Kyle had left him. Something wasn’t right.

He walked to the doors and opened them. It several of the Elders. “How can I help you this morning.”

“Eddie, we have a problem.” Began one.

“We have lost contact with Jason.” He paused a moment. “Worse, the sentry we put on the cave is dead.” He closed his eyes. “We need to contact his family right after we meet with you.”

“What do you need me to do?” Eddie crossed his arms across his chest.

“We want you to contact your friend and have him intercede with his father.” His face twisted in a grimace, “Bad enough to ask for a white man’s help, but he is an honorable man. The last thing we need is Gallager and his Federal bully boys on the Reservation looking down on us like we were some sort of disgusting insect.”

Eddie sighed, “If someone has already died…. Maybe we should contact the Feds. They will need to help us out. The Treaty….”

“Is legally binding only as long as they decide it is.”

Eddie gestured, “Things are different now. You do know that right.”

Both the Elders looked at him pitying. One softly said, “Maybe, but if there is something they want, they will find a way to take it. I am old, I don’t want to be forced from my home again.”

The other Elder sighed, “Perhaps we were biting off more than we could chew with this other world. But to see such an opportunity pass to others….”

“Just contact Valenti, and we can go from there. Use the death of Davis as the reason for your request. We already have the Reservation Police working on the case, but could use their help. That sort of thing.” The Elder shrugged.

“Can we tell him of the cave?”

The Elders looked between each other. “Yes. That is why we want Kyle to help you. You say he has had some experience with the Visitors. Maybe he might know something about this world as well.”

“The killer left some markings behind. Bring Kyle back and see if he recognizes them.”

Eddie said sharply, “What makes you think he will want to help you?”

The first Elder nodded to the second and left. The second Elder merely smiled amusedly, “He will come because like you he needs to help people. You both have yet to outgrow the need to be a hero.” He chuckled, “He won’t like it, but he will come.”

The second Elder walked away after the first.

Davis was dead. This whole situation was becoming serious.

He thought on what the Elder had said. He knew he had to help. These were his people. But to drag Kyle into this….

Eddie sighed, he already had. He only hoped that this didn’t get Kyle hurt or killed.

Eddie headed off to Roswell to fetch his friend. He looked up at the dimly lit sky. He would give Kyle a little more time before he pulled over to call him.

Eddie was already going to ruin his day. Might as well let him sleep in.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Hall of the Mountain King (CC ALL/Mature) Pt18 - 11/21/1

Post by PML »

Definately a differnt story that what I thought it was going to be. I doubt I will hit the word count now, but the story itself I will stay to the finish. Also a plug for the S. C. Gwynne book Empire of the Summer Moon about the rise and fall of the Commanches and Quanah Parker. You should see the the effects of that inspiration in the next few chapters.

Mary mary- Thanks. Raw meat, ick. But there is a reason why Isabel is acting this way.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Oh, I expect they will be pleasant.... Its what happen when he wakes that he should worry about.

begonia9508- Thanks.

In the Hall of the Mountain King part 19

Kyle

Kyle knew he was sleeping. How he knew this was a dream was a mystery, because it was very vivid.

The waves broke hard on the shore in the crisp winter air. It wasn’t particularly cold, but then it rarely ever got that cold In San Diego. He hadn’t been here since that catastrophic trip he had taken with Deena.

Deena. It had been years since he had thought of her. He had been on furlough visiting his father when he met her. A whirlwind romance, to the point he had been prepared to ask her to marry him. The trip to San Diego was to be the key.

He had known a little about Tess haunting him. But not a great deal, mostly thinking it was his imagination.

But Tess had been very real.

It wasn’t until one night when the two of them had driven out to secluded spot further down the coast to be alone that he truly learned that Tess was with him to stay. For they had found a small secluded area, and being the two young and crazy kids they both were went skinny dipping. That had led to other fun activities.

They had been sated and intertwined, blanket now wrapped around them to retain the heat. Deena had kissed him and said, “I will always love you Buddha-boy.”

Kyle had frozen. It hadn’t just been the words. But also how it had been said. How Tess had always whispered into his ears when they had madeout.

It had been her.

Kyle had kept quiet and Deena had drifted off to sleep. But for whatever reason, Deena started having nightmares. She kept complaining about something haunting her, telling her she wasn’t worthy of Kyle. That she had to leave.

And she had.

It turned out later for the best, as the woman had hid a substantial drug problem and other significant issues. The woman had been trouble, and Kyle had been too blinded by lust and attraction to see it.

Tess had saved him. And Kyle had hated her for it. It was only later that he came to terms with her. But one by one she drove away the women he had managed to attract.

The damn Alien Abyss. Liz had Max. Michael had Maria’s memory. Kyle had Tess’s ghost.

Why did Max always seem to get the best deal?

Only this time it wasn’t Deena waiting for in the alcove, but Tess. She was fully dressed, white blouse and tight blue jeans. She turned to face him, her blue eyes bright with tears. “I won’t be with you much longer Kyle. You will have to take care of yourself now. I am trying to arrange things for the best, but I do not know if it will work.”

“Tess? Are you real?”

Tess hit him on the shoulder. “Here I am as real as you.”

“Why didn’t you ever talk to me. And why now? What is this about you leaving me?” He reached and held both of her shoulders. He looked down at her blue eyes.

So beautiful. The lips pursed just slightly, so kissable. But he needed to hear what she had to say.

“I am tired Kyle. I can’t stay in anyone too long or I hurt them. And after what I did to Alex….” She shuddered, “Never again.”

He held her close and closed his eyes. Alex. It always came to what had happened so long ago. When would he be able to fully move on. Would he ever not be affected by the death of his friend?

Probably not.

“I don’t want to lose you.” Kyle said. And it was true. Even as she was, the woman had been a fixture in his life for ten years, had affected it for longer.

Tess looked up at him, “If what I plan works, part of me will linger in the girl. She will be doing something that will… alter her nature. I will be helping her and it will alter mine as well. If I survive, well if any part of me survives it will mingle with her. She will be both of us.”

“I don’t like it. What if something goes wrong. What if you, what if you fail?”

“Then she will die and I will be destroyed.” Tess was crying, “But Kyle, ceasing to exist would be heaven to the hell I live in every day. The only thing that has kept me sane, has kept me from going berserk, is you. I never told you in life, hell, I don’t know if I recognized it when I was alive, but I love you Kyle.”

“I always loved you. Even after what you did, I was so angry Tess. Why did you do it?”

Tess sighed, “I was stupid and careless. I will say this, I didn’t operate alone. I had help to carry out all my plans, but the deal I forged promised protection for everyone who stayed.”

“That doesn’t make any sense. Besides Khivar came and tried to get Isabel back.”

Tess giggled, “I know. I heard about that. And she turned him down for normal guy. Go Isabel. But let me guess, he didn’t threaten any of you.” She raised an eyebrow.

“Um, no….”

“And this is after he’d managed to have his scientists rig a warp gate to Earth. That was supposed to be their foothold you know. A simple warp gate for a fifth column. Of course, they didn’t realize that Earth was armed to the teeth. And primitive. Too much work to conquer when he already was fighting on several fronts already. No, the idea was that if the person stayed they didn’t really desperately want to get to Antar. And therefore not over eager to restore the Crown.”

“And you would be right. None of them, well maybe Michael, really wanted to go back. But they would have. If Michael hadn’t turned back right then.”

“Yes. It could have been less pleasant for them. A life in captivity. An offer to return to Earth in full exile after renunciation.” Tess shivered, “Better than what we would have gotten at the Summit. An execution.”

“Alright fine, but I have, well forgiven you over the years. Not forgotten, but well, you helped me on so many occasions that I couldn’t really remain angry.” He smiled down at her, “Let me ask you this, how often did you occupy the girls I have slept with.”

Tess smirked, “All of them. Except there were a couple that didn’t have enough intelligence to hold the both of us. You and your dumb blondes.”

“Hey look whose talking!”

“We’re not all brainless twits with fake boobs and future back problems.” She smirked up at him though, “Those times I rode you.”

Kyle shook his head. “Right.”

“The only thing I never got was to be with you.” There was bitterness to her voice, “I needed to ‘save myself’ for the King. That is why we never went all the way.”

Kyle nodded.

She looked up at him. “But here and now. Even if it’s only a dream…. Please Kyle, make love to me?”

Kyle’s fingers dropped to the top button of Tess’s blouse. Kyle’s voice was throaty, “You have to ask, woman?”

Tess smiled and gave him a quick kiss, “Just thought I would be polite.” She removed his belt.

And on a quiet beach inside of a dream, the last of the Royal Four completed her Bond.